Alpha Protocol PC

7.5

1. Feb 17, 2012
    Obsidian seem to do better when they fail at ambition (Fallout new vegas, Alpha protocol, Kotor 2, and many others) rather than succeed at a polished safe game (dungeon siege 3 comes to mind). Yes, the developers make flawed games. However let's look at FNV for a moment, it's my favorite fallout game. And yes, it crashes and glitches and breaks. However it's complicated and ambitious, itObsidian seem to do better when they fail at ambition (Fallout new vegas, Alpha protocol, Kotor 2, and many others) rather than succeed at a polished safe game (dungeon siege 3 comes to mind). Yes, the developers make flawed games. However let's look at FNV for a moment, it's my favorite fallout game. And yes, it crashes and glitches and breaks. However it's complicated and ambitious, it has detail and quirk. Alpha protocol has it's own breed of ambition. A more subtle kind. What it does with decision making, rpg systems, and genre mixing is engaging and bold. However unlike new vegas, it feels like a budget game. The movement feels akward, the animation feels akward, the action feels arkward. In a pre-mass effect world, people would be more forgiving. However in this climate of action-rpg melding, xp systems in action games, etc. You have the action fans come in and instantly judge it for what they expect it to be. Rather than what it is. And that's not their fault either. What the game truly want's to be is a little hidden. In the end it's a role playing game - and taken as that, the clumsiness can be forgiven with persistence from the player. However if you are easily offput by production values and a budget feel - you will have already stopped playing this game. And that's a shame, because it's got a great choice system at it's heart. Expand
  2. Dec 29, 2012
    This game is highly underrated, worth ever penny I paid for it, RPG, Action and a story that YOU decide, play as you will, your loss or gain, it will change as you play.
  3. Jan 13, 2012
    This might not be the most polished game out there, but for some reason I found myself having a lot of fun playing this. Even the dialogue sequences had me hooked.
  4. Jan 3, 2012
    Any game that makes you think twice about killing, and later regret it needs to be played by any and all gamers. The story is unoriginal, clearly left-wing-bias (not to say it's wrong), dialog is rather hit-or-miss, combat is formulaic and the third person perspective kills me every time. But the stealth is in the top lists, character variety is awesome, and as I mentioned, you will regretAny game that makes you think twice about killing, and later regret it needs to be played by any and all gamers. The story is unoriginal, clearly left-wing-bias (not to say it's wrong), dialog is rather hit-or-miss, combat is formulaic and the third person perspective kills me every time. But the stealth is in the top lists, character variety is awesome, and as I mentioned, you will regret some of the more radical decisions most games throw at you like Saturday morning pancakes in a country restaurant. And if you really like looking deep into something, you'll see an underlying philosophical theme of loyalty, orders, and "the mission". But you do have to dig intellectually for that part. Expand
  5. Sep 12, 2013
    This game is a bit underrated.
    It has seveere flaws on movement cover system and de enemy AI it's just dumb
    Aside from that, the story is good, graphics are ok (specially if you add SweetFX) and the missions are just long enough to have fun and not find them repetitive or boring. Mini games are well, just there.The lockpicking minigame works fine but the hacking onw with keyboard
    This game is a bit underrated.
    It has seveere flaws on movement cover system and de enemy AI it's just dumb
    just long enough to have fun and not find them repetitive or boring.
    keyboard and mouse is terrible.
    If you can bet this game cheap,that is the case nowadays, and it gets on sale a lot, i recommend buying it.
    As for replayability, I really don't think the game will encourage you to play again once you finish it once,
    even for different character progression
  6. Mar 20, 2014
    Alpha Protocol is a Deus Ex/Splinter Cell (sprinkled with a bit of Mass effect) wannabe that actually succeed at creating an immersive “James Bond” RPG fantasy, despite its many technical problems. Pros: 1) Good storytelling and characters; 2) Deep RPG elements; 3) Excellent facial animations; 4) Tough decisions to make, with interesting consequences; 5) Innovative dialog system;
    6) Gameplay that emphasizes player choice

Cons:
    1) Bad console port – Recommend using a controller for the best experience;
    2) Checkpoint system (I hate that!);
    3) No antialiasing – Warning: don’t force it through the graphic drivers, or you will break the game). You can have MSAA however if you download this file (http://mrhaandi.blogspot.pt/p/injectsmaa.html) and extract/add it to /AlphaProtocol/ Binaries/ folder;
    4) Lots of bugs and glitches, for example in some missions if you reload a checkpoint, the NPC’s won’t respawn. Surprisingly the game never crashed on me;
    5) Glitchy controls and camera (sometimes the camera locks, and you won’t be able to move, other times it will do a one eighty for no reason.) – Warning: Don’t assign the interact function to any other key than space, or you will break the hacking mini-game.
    6) The f****** hacking mini-game – Warning: don’t play this game on hard as a recruit, and put some action points on the technical skill branch before you start the game;
    7) Terrible cover system – Warning: avoid throwing grenades from cover, because they tend to explode in your face)
    8) Zero Modding community.

Ultimately, despite its many technical faults, Alpha Protocol is still very fun to play, and that is what really matters in the ends. If you can look pass the obvious technical problems, you will see that it is a very deep and immersive RPG experience that unfortunately lacks a lot of polish. Nevertheless, this does not excuse Obsidian and Sega for releasing an unfinished product, nor their unwillingness to fix it after release.

Conclusion: If you like RPG games like Mass effect and Deus Ex, I recommend giving this (very underrated) game a go, but don’t expect a smooth ride in the gameplay department.
  7. Nov 8, 2011
    The expectations before you play could polarize your views. Some play this, expecting "Splinter Cell : The RPG". Others expect "Neverwinter Nights, guest-starring Sam Fisher". It's probably more "Mass Effect in modern times" This would be a good game, if it wasn't for Obsidian's modus operandi of making something that could be awesome, but failing to implement it correctly. There are bugs,The expectations before you play could polarize your views. Some play this, expecting "Splinter Cell : The RPG". Others expect "Neverwinter Nights, guest-starring Sam Fisher". It's probably more "Mass Effect in modern times" This would be a good game, if it wasn't for Obsidian's modus operandi of making something that could be awesome, but failing to implement it correctly. There are bugs, optimization issues, dumb AI, annoying saving (and loading) system, and short-ish campaign. On the other hand, it *is* engaging. Dialogue options, one of those "choice and consequences" concept that doesn't fall flat on its face, different gameplay approaches that actually work, and finally a plot that doesn't revolve around doomsday nuclear weapons threatening the world peace. As an old-time pen-and-paper RPG player, I can confidently say this is a role-playing game. Those who play for action may be disappointed. Expand
  8. Apr 6, 2011
    This game has a very ambitious branching storyline but some of the worst game mechanics i've ever seen. The "stealth" in this game is basically an invisibility cloak and the boss fights look like they came out of an arcade game. It seems they would have done a lot better by just lifting the mechanics of splinter cell and combining it with the style of much superior RPGS (like deus ex) theyThis game has a very ambitious branching storyline but some of the worst game mechanics i've ever seen. The "stealth" in this game is basically an invisibility cloak and the boss fights look like they came out of an arcade game. It seems they would have done a lot better by just lifting the mechanics of splinter cell and combining it with the style of much superior RPGS (like deus ex) they were trying to mimic.

Speaking of which, it tries to be another RPG like deus ex in more ways than one but lacks the clever detailed gameplay or plot design of that classic. The main character is also vanilla boring and cliche. All in all this is a disappointment but not too bad if you want to be entertained by a silly storyline and some mindless entertainment. The graphics in this game are fairly dated and boring to look at.
  9. Jan 13, 2013
    Tons of potential just completely squandered by clunky controls and programming. It has every core mechanic that makes a game great, including a fantastic story, but then just trips over its own shoelaces when you start to play it.
  10. Oct 2, 2013
    Great game, interesting gameplay. Despite having numerous bug it is still among the best games I have played. You make allies or enemies as you go and depending on your actions various characters either come to help you or hinder you. Gathering information is actually rewarded in this game (comes in handy during conversations) so it pays of to take a good look around the levels.
  11. ThiagoC
    Jun 1, 2010
    Good things: Characters and story, the missions are diverse and the game knows how to keep your interests all the way trough, good character customization. Bad things: Combat a bit 'meh', the PC version has a few slowdowns.
  12. May 24, 2011
    The RPG heart of Alpha Protocol is pure and true. Real choice and consequence in a setting of international intrigue and adventure. Yes, the combat mechanics are largely broken but not to the point where a satisfying compromise can't be reached in terms of gameplay vs. RPG payoff. On par with Jade Empire for mid-to-high level escapism.
  13. BryceW
    Jun 5, 2010
    Gameplay: The game play varies from average to poor. Weapon balance is inconsistent and accuracy is almost a constant challenge to overcome. There were times when facing a stationary enemy 20 feet away, while I was crouching and aiming at his chest I would empty entire clips and hit nothing but air. At the same time the abilities for pistols make them completely overpowered, allowing you Gameplay: The game play varies from average to poor. Weapon balance is inconsistent and accuracy is almost a constant challenge to overcome. There were times when facing a stationary enemy 20 feet away, while I was crouching and aiming at his chest I would empty entire clips and hit nothing but air. At the same time the abilities for pistols make them completely overpowered, allowing you to slow time and line up multiple headshots and take out everyone in a single go. Add stealth to that ability and you Expand
  14. MatS
    Jun 7, 2010
    Very nice graphics, but that doesn't do enough to push the game any higher in rating. There was much hype about this game, but alas I feel it was all a bit of an over statement. The controls feel too clunky when playing with a keyboard and mouse, which makes me think that this was more designed for the console rather then the PC. This game has a great concept and they have certainly Very nice graphics, but that doesn't do enough to push the game any higher in rating. There was much hype about this game, but alas I feel it was all a bit of an over statement. The controls feel too clunky when playing with a keyboard and mouse, which makes me think that this was more designed for the console rather then the PC. This game has a great concept and they have certainly tried to deliver something memorable, but I just don't think they got there. Nothing in this game draws me back wanting to play more. There really isn't any longevity in this game and will be quickly swept aside for something better. Expand
  15. MikeT.
    Jun 3, 2010
    Mediocre gameplay with highly inaccurate weapons that skills do little to offset, hugely imbalanced skills (pistol chainshot and invisibility are absurdly more useful than anything else), characters, writing, dialogue, and plot that disappoint from the makers of KOTOR2 and Planescape, and dull level design equal Alpha Protocol. The game's single strong suit is its reactivity. No game Mediocre gameplay with highly inaccurate weapons that skills do little to offset, hugely imbalanced skills (pistol chainshot and invisibility are absurdly more useful than anything else), characters, writing, dialogue, and plot that disappoint from the makers of KOTOR2 and Planescape, and dull level design equal Alpha Protocol. The game's single strong suit is its reactivity. No game to date has as many branching or variable paths (you can even have different final bosses), and it's worth checking out for that...just not at full price. Go play the KOTORs, Mass Effects, Vampire, Deus Exes for atmosphere, writing, and (in case of ME2 and DX and somewhat Vampire) gameplay, and then if you'd like to see an exercise in game design, pick up Alpha Protocol in the bargain bin. Expand
  16. SpencerT.
    Jun 9, 2010
    Not the best mobility, no jumping, hiding is tricky at best. Weapons for player are highly inaccurate, where the bots can hit you with a mounted gun across a vast gully. The shotgun's accuracy makes sense, where as the pistol is nearly as inaccurate. The story so far seems somewhat interesting, but i would probably not want to pay more than 20 bucks for it. But if you like being Not the best mobility, no jumping, hiding is tricky at best. Weapons for player are highly inaccurate, where the bots can hit you with a mounted gun across a vast gully. The shotgun's accuracy makes sense, where as the pistol is nearly as inaccurate. The story so far seems somewhat interesting, but i would probably not want to pay more than 20 bucks for it. But if you like being sneeky, and enjoy a good RP, then this certainly is a good game. I however, wont be playing it very much. Expand
  17. Oct 27, 2011
    I want to start off by saying this game is not worth it's full price, if you want Alpha Protocol, wait for it to go on sale as it often does on Steam. With that being said, the game is definitely worth it to anyone who enjoys Espionage stories and games like Mass Effect, in which you feel like you actually have a say in the sequence of events. These two things, the latter especially, II want to start off by saying this game is not worth it's full price, if you want Alpha Protocol, wait for it to go on sale as it often does on Steam. With that being said, the game is definitely worth it to anyone who enjoys Espionage stories and games like Mass Effect, in which you feel like you actually have a say in the sequence of events. These two things, the latter especially, I cannot stress enough as being very, very impressive. I've played through the game twice now, and even by doing missions in a different order, you will find that the story has drastically changed. Another great feature is the cast of odd ball characters you encounter. They range from your classic Bond villain, to the stereotypical Saudi terrorist, to the loveable oddballs you would find in a Quentin Terontino film. And this diversity is great and breathes life into the game. Just as you're getting bored with dealing with one set of adversaries a whole new and different group appears. And with that being say, Alpha Protocol is the autistic brother to other games, such as Mass Effect. It does what it does well so good, but it struggles in other areas. Such as gameplay. This game was nearly unplayable until I changed the sound.ini files. The fact my "Takedowns" were just as loud as a shotgun is just unacceptable. Even silenced weapons, which in most games will make your gun silenced, here, however, it just makes a pistol slightly quieter. And there really is no stealth, there is no Splinter Cell going from shadow to shadow, there is no Assassins Creed blending in to crowds, in all honesty, it's Mass Effect with crouching and occasionally enemies won't see you. Shooting, as well, is a little rough. Blind firing, I find, is far more effective than aiming for some reason. Gadgets never do anything. And the hacking mini-games are tedious and boring, adding no extra life to the game, only sucking it away. While Alpha Protocol does suffer from these dehibilitations, with a game like this that frequently hovers around $2 on Steam sales and the ability to make your guns slightly quieter through small tweaking of the system, the story and characters make this game worth looking at. Expand
  18. Mar 26, 2011
    A mixed bag. The plot and dialogue are for the most part excellent, but a huge range of gameplay issues keep this game from becoming great. If this game had come out in 2006 it would be a classic. However, in a post ME2 world, it feels clunky and dated.
  19. Mar 3, 2012
    One of the least buggiest Obsidian Entertainment RPGs ever, which really isn't saying much... still the plot and replayability alone helps save this game from being merely average.
  20. Jun 17, 2015
    As is typical of Obsidian, Alpha Protocol is a game with a great deal of promise let down by a number of flaws. The innovative branching gameplay and conversation system was great, but the game is plagued by bugs, mechanical issues, and a less than stellar control system. Still, it's an interesting game and one of the few rpgs I know of to tackle the modern espionage/spy genre. It's worthAs is typical of Obsidian, Alpha Protocol is a game with a great deal of promise let down by a number of flaws. The innovative branching gameplay and conversation system was great, but the game is plagued by bugs, mechanical issues, and a less than stellar control system. Still, it's an interesting game and one of the few rpgs I know of to tackle the modern espionage/spy genre. It's worth a look so long as you go in with eyes open about if's problems. Expand
  21. May 6, 2012
    I can't give this game a high score. As much as I want to enjoy it, I can't.
    The graphics are flat and motion blur is sickening. I cannot play more than an hour of this game due to the motion blur which makes me eyesick.
    I can't give this game a high score. As much as I want to enjoy it, I can't.
    The AI in this game is also very, very stupid. They magically know you are there if there's an alarm, and if there's not an alarm, they're like deaf and blind babies with guns.
    The choice and storyline in this game is what makes it all. The choices are great and, as Yahtzee would say, you get to be all kinds of dick or good guy.
    Buy this game on a sale. It's not worth the price in my full, honest opinion.
  22. Oct 13, 2013
    So very nearly great. Fantastic concept, seemingly well executed, then you hit bugs and issues with AI and mechanics problems.... Basically, had a bit more time been spent on the game design and debugging phase this could easily have been up there with the classics.

Sadly it isn't.
  23. Jan 17, 2012
    I have to compare to mass effect, i'm sorry. The AI and gunplay is not fun in my eyes. I purchased it on the reccomendation of it being a hidden gem, and no its not. The level design is very bland, leading you through a straight path with only a small number of ways to approach that path. Also, martials arts animations are lame.
  24. Mar 15, 2012
    Terrible controls and some game engine problems, but still loved this game! I had to give 7 because of the problems but the story was nice and the whole environment the game created.
  25. Jun 27, 2015
    Alpha Protocol has Gogo dancers and Sex, Blood lots of satisfying BLOOD nothing made me want to play this game more than a knife to the throat.

Alpha Protocol Is a somewhat buggy kinda gimmicky game but its still has some charm i saw the steam score of 80 (which no way i think it comes close) so i thought it would be pretty impressive but its really nothing close to it lol. Alpha Protocol Feels weird and kinda looks ugly off the bat but after some time it felt great and started to please my eyes. The games gameplay is some of the simplistic yet satisfying in its own way. It reminded me of a metal gear with way less money and for the softcore. The game story kept me going its kinda unique i guess i did enjoy it. I don't know if i would have liked this game if i didn't build my guy assassin i put everything into stealth, pistol and a few points in sabotage and strengths i specialized in stealth, pistol and assault rifle which i regret wish i put it in the CQC but o well you cant go back, all of your decisions are almost finale and it kinda sucks if people want to change there ways let em if they don't want to they wont. why add a strict policy if it doesn't improve the game? o well i lived with it and moved on. I felt that the rectile was the worst i have ever seen and the assault rifle the worse i have ever used! and don't think i would have enjoyed the game other than the first class decisions i made. Its still a FUN game ...

I want to make it clear you can run and gun or you can stealth kill. BUT there are some missions that you are forced to fight and cant complete with stealth only which is disappointing! Replay value is eh never again 4 me.

Just a FYI these are just my opinions. Silent Hightimes
  26. Sep 29, 2013
    As a true gamer, I like to play it always on hard more in my first try for challenge and fun. I think the game could be very enjoyable if I play it on normal. But the hard mode was more than hard or challenging it was like a nightmare mode which means u will die really fast! :O. One small mistake and it's over! On the one hand I like that, it gives more reality. But on the other hand whichAs a true gamer, I like to play it always on hard more in my first try for challenge and fun. I think the game could be very enjoyable if I play it on normal. But the hard mode was more than hard or challenging it was like a nightmare mode which means u will die really fast! :O. One small mistake and it's over! On the one hand I like that, it gives more reality. But on the other hand which killed all my enjoyment in this game is why the heck are the enemies so durable!? They are like zombies lol if you don't shoot him in the head you have no chance! I don't even want to mention the crazy boss-fights XD Why didn't they make another mode for that? Did the devs even play this mode? I completed hard mode but it was a painful play. You have to trick the AI to survive and rely on your skills everytime. Oh yeah did I mention the aiming? You have to focus on your aim like a sniper rifle lol I don't think that a veteran agent needs so long to aim on someone. Well overall it could be a really good game if they make it more user-friendly and the hard mode more easier. Thx for reading Expand
  27. Nov 23, 2012
    This was an odd one- Alpha Protocol was a deeply flawed game on many dimensions. But in others it was a compelling espionage RPG along the lines of Deus Ex.

The game was quite buggy. One of the levels froze on me and wouldn
  28. Dec 11, 2012
    Modern day Mass Effect clone by the clone studio with the worst QA staff in the world, Obsidian. Very linear with typical Bioware-esque "go to three places for three quests and then on-rails for the last mission" game structure. Mostly boring characters... The few interesting characters are either useless (Beck) or are only around for two scenes and then limited to being mentioned inModern day Mass Effect clone by the clone studio with the worst QA staff in the world, Obsidian. Very linear with typical Bioware-esque "go to three places for three quests and then on-rails for the last mission" game structure. Mostly boring characters... The few interesting characters are either useless (Beck) or are only around for two scenes and then limited to being mentioned in convos (Sis). Combat is mostly cover based shooting but gets frustrating from enemies killing you while behind cover ("realistic" cover with bullets going through broken concrete and such). Unreliable weapon damage, for both you and your enemies, results in random encounters which dump you back to the last checkpoint (no quicksaving or save anywhere options, thanks consoles) from an AI SMG spraying you and getting 5 lucky headshots in a row. Besides all the problems with it I was able to have a fun yet overly frustrating time with this Deus Ex-esque modern day spy thriller and recommend picking it up. Expand
  29. Feb 25, 2014
    A nice enough espionage RPG. The player has a choice of becoming a guns blazing soldier, or a stealthy non-lethal character. There are very nice skills, perks to be unlocked through role-playing, and there's a black market for weapons, armor and gadgets. Weapons and armor can be customized which is ever so cool. Then why my low score? I was taken aback by the huge amount of talking thatA nice enough espionage RPG. The player has a choice of becoming a guns blazing soldier, or a stealthy non-lethal character. There are very nice skills, perks to be unlocked through role-playing, and there's a black market for weapons, armor and gadgets. Weapons and armor can be customized which is ever so cool. Then why my low score? I was taken aback by the huge amount of talking that is going on in this game. I'm under the impression that more than half of the time, you're in dialog with someone else. And these dialogues felt too boring for me. The writing and voice acting didn't really do it for me, and so I got bored pretty quickly. If you were into DX:HR, you owe it to yourself to try Alpha Protocol. If you were not, you'd better check a lot of gameplay video's before buying this. Expand
  30. Feb 21, 2013
    I got the game at a good price and it really is great entertainment.

Having said that let me explain why I gave it a 6. Just to add some skill system that does not really much affect game play does not make a RPG out of a shooter. Just because you try to find every piece of information lying around does not make it espionage. I believe the point where I was let down with is best
    I got the game at a good price and it really is great entertainment.

Having said that let me explain why I gave it a 6.

I believe the point where I was let down with is best described this way:
    The structure or rather tools that this game consists of, all technical capabilities seem like they had a much grander scale in mind when being developed. You have that complex skill system, different ways your character possibly could solve scenarios (like for example in the first Deus Ex), a relationship system to other people, that possibly could affect game play much more.
    So you have all the things in place that could make an interesting RPG, but then apparently time was running out or whatever the reason was and you cripple the whole game by making a rather linear shooter out of it.

I really enjoyed the story, but I would have rather liked it if either the RPG elements would have been a bit simplified, because really most of them are quite pointless giving the linearity and have not much effect within the game...
    or it could have been a bit more of an open and generic world and missions designed so that you could have solved them different ways, so that all of the RPG elements would have made sense.
    Oh and some espionage elements like decrypting messages and such would have been fun.

Great shooter as it is, enjoyable story, but too tiresome and meaningless skill and item system.
    If you can get it for 2.5$ then go for it. Even at 5$ its definitely worth the money
  31. May 18, 2013
    So I gotta admit, if I was writing this reveiw when the game released, it would be a solid ZERO from me.
    Problem being I reached the tutorial hacking portion and couldnt advance.
    Problem being I reached the tutorial hacking portion and couldnt advance.
    I could not see the numbers required to beat the hacking mini game for the life of me and since Obsidian is known for putting in what I like to call "gotcha" elements that stop you dead in tracks, I was one frustrated player.

Tried for 3 weeks to get past this one item and couldnt. Thus the game would not let me past point and was finished.

Ive never purchased another Obsidian product since then once they told everyone they didnt care about choke point (was more then just me having issues there) and would not release a work around to allow people to you know, play the rest of game.

So fast forward to April 2013 and I decide to try again and load up game.
    Well first thing is I have to download a patch from a non Sega/Obsidian site just to run the dang game now. But I did
    And I got past the hacking part (make no mistake, I still cant do it on anything but Easy game setting, the mini game difficulty is way out of whack from the combat difficulty setting in this game).

And man Im glad I did.
    Alpha Protocol is an amazing Action/RPG.
    Its along the lines of Mass Effect 2 but doesnt pretend to be what its not like ME2 did at release. This is a secret agent spy thriller with lots of shooting, bombs, sneaking, and romances. You decide how you will act and otehrs respond approapriately.

I freaking love this game

Such a shame Obsidian had to put in the choke point and then be dicks about it
    This franchise deserves #2 and #3 and more

Unfortunately the response to Obsidian and AP was so negative at release Sega has stated there will be no future Alpha Protocol games made.

Amazing game that just had the misfortune of being created by bad designers who wouldnt do their upmost to ensure customer satisfaction.

Ina perfect world, when it became obvious so many were having issues with the mini games, Obsidian should have put out a patch that allowed players to set mini game difficulty AND combat difficulty in 2 seperate panels.
    Mini Game Beginer, Easy, Moderate, Hard
    Combat Easy, Moderate, Hard

Ive completely game 3 times now and would love to up the combat difficulty level as its pretty easy for me to blitz through single shoting everything with head shots now. Unfortunately I still struggle with the mini games set on Easy setting.
  32. Aug 31, 2013
    Good game that doesn't always quite live up to what it was aiming for, but was still very good. Most of it went right great ambitious story, good voice acting, nice RPG elements, but some of the gameplay, in particular the stealth elements, is only solid rather than spectacular.
  33. May 22, 2014
    It pains me to give this game such a mediocre review, as it has such good potential. But both the lag and poor framerate are too much to bear. (No my GPU is not crap).
  34. Mar 14, 2015
    Obsidian’s 2010 release Alpha Protocol is the best bad game that I have ever played, though the game Deadly Premonition is a close second, in part because of its completely underwhelming technology for a 2010 release but mostly because Alpha Protocol presents several very interesting and fun aspects to gameplay and story progression that actually work and, for the most part, workObsidian’s 2010 release Alpha Protocol is the best bad game that I have ever played, though the game Deadly Premonition is a close second, in part because of its completely underwhelming technology for a 2010 release but mostly because Alpha Protocol presents several very interesting and fun aspects to gameplay and story progression that actually work and, for the most part, work surprisingly well.
    As much as Alpha Protocol could have been huge success with its combination of espionage that is similar to the Splinter Cell and Hitman series and choice based gameplay indicative of the Mass Effect series and Heavy Rain. Unfortunately, Alpha Protocol doesn’t seem to grasp how to fully combine all of its ideas to make something truly enjoyable and ends up as a confused mess of a game. However, while Alpha Protocol is indeed a mess it still has something about it that makes it fun and interesting to play and makes it worthwhile for most gamers to check out.
    The one thing that truly makes Alpha Protocol stand out is the way it utilizes its choice based storyline. Though the actual plot and the protagonist are not all too interesting the dialogue tree allows the player to respond in four different ways (Professional, Suave, Aggressive and Silent) on a time sensitive response menu and it works wonderfully well. Every character the player has a conversation with has their one attitude towards each response type and when they should be used and will respond to the player on a 21-point approval/disapproval scale which will also change how the characters respond to the player based on where in the scale they are. The character approval system even goes so far that other characters in the world will react negatively or positively based on your history with others and your actions in the field (who you’ve save or killed).
    Alpha Protocol is a complex game that was not executed correctly and came out several years too late to be able to fully make up for its faults. That being said, Alpha Protocol has some truly innovative and enjoyable qualities about that offer tons of replay ability to the player. A broken gem but a gem nonetheless.
  35. May 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You play Mike Thorton, a rouge agent gone rouge, trying to protect the world from a greedy weapons corporation. At first the story seemed boring but it really picks up after the first few missions. The game has a open gameplay option, you can either try being a ninja taking out one guy at a time with knife strikes or run in guns blazing. The options for what kind of solider you want to be are there for you or you can pick the "Recruit" and make your solider from scratch.
    Course of the game is driven by your conversations with people along the way. Your offered dialogue options as conversations progress. How you respond to people can either build or remove influence points, ultimately having a outcome towards the end of the game.
    The leveling system and skill layout reminds me a lot of the Mass Effect series, that being said its a pretty decent skill system. Halfway through the game your given the choice of a specialization and just like the base of your character you can either pick a preset one or choose which three traits you wish to indulge in.
    Overall I enjoyed the game and there is a high replay value to the game seeing how you can have a different solider layout and change which people you align with, having a different playthrough experience.

Things I Liked:
    Leveling / Skill System
    Free choice to course of the game
    Conversation Choices
    Mission Debriefing was a nice feature that outlined the events that happened and showed the effect of the choices you made

Things I Disliked:
    Controls at point had a delay time
    A annoying bug that could happen when you were crouched near boxes and moving, you could end up on the top of the pile
    Limited amount of time you had to made a conversation choice
    Hitting with any weapon proved a challenge

1. From the beginning of the game, till the ending, I was relatively pleased with how important and impactful the decisions I made were.
  2. Mediocre gameplay hides an enjoyable RPG with moments of genius. But it could have been so much more. [Aug 2010, p.56]
  3. That exhilarating core deserves more than the pretty rancid crust that tops it. [Aug 2010, p.76]