Alpha Protocol PC

7.5

1. Aug 9, 2016
    I came to write a review as I still enjoy playing this game. There is nothing quite like it. Love the gameplay a bit Deus ex where you can play non-lethal or kill everything or do whatever you feel your character would do, Decisions have more of an impact than in many other RPG games, Using guns is a learning curve, there is no point and shoot, an intelligent interesting game, only otherI came to write a review as I still enjoy playing this game. There is nothing quite like it. Love the gameplay a bit Deus ex where you can play non-lethal or kill everything or do whatever you feel your character would do, Decisions have more of an impact than in many other RPG games, Using guns is a learning curve, there is no point and shoot, an intelligent interesting game, only other games I still paly from years ago are Deus EX HR and Mass Effect , Splinter Cell used to be my favourite franchise but I lost interest after the last one as did the makers. So AP still gets a 10 for me. Expand
  2. Jul 5, 2016
    One of the greatest RPG's in history. The only reason's the critics hated it was because of the complexity of the role-playing and their inability to appreciate a skillfully done RPG. Can't recommend this game enough and you will thank me.
  3. Apr 22, 2016
    Alpha Protocol is a game that I really wanted to like. I tried to look past the flaws that this game had, but I honestly couldn't. The best thing I can say about Alpha Protocol is that it at least tried to be something different, but even if you try to do something different, it doesn't mean that it will always be good.

Alpha Protocol has a unique concept, an espionage RPG. I was

Alpha Protocol has a unique concept, an espionage RPG. I was surprised to see that this sort of idea, hadn't been done that often in gaming and that is one thing that I respect this game for doing. The main problem with this however is that in my opinion, Alpha Protocol doesn't really use any of the unique ideas it brings to the table that well and the basic stuff that are required to make a good game (like gameplay, playability and graphics) aren't really focused on as they put most of their thought, time and care into trying to implement these ideas to try and live up to it's name "an espionage RPG."

One of the biggest problems Alpha Protocol has is in it's gameplay. Nearly everything in the gameplay falls flat. While the training section at the beginning of the game, does show off some great ideas for an espionage RPG like sneaking mechanics, combat and gadgets, I didn't feel like I was having any fun playing this or doing any of these ideas for gameplay because in the end, that's what I was thinking they were, just some ideas. I felt like these ideas were only half executed. The ideas are there, but they just stopped after that. Sneaking is basically useless because the AI is really bad. Gun combat feels restricted an the sensitivity never feels right no matter what you set it to. Melee combat, while it's better than gun combat, feels slippery for the majority of the time, but at least it was more controllable than the gun Gadgets are basically useless in combat because you can't really tell where they'll land. There's no targeting ridicule for them so you just need to predict where they'll land.

Graphics are for the most part good however there are several flaws with them. There is quite a lot of slow loading textures from time to time and the longer I played, the more frequently these occurred. There is also a bit of pop in going on quite a bit. Apart from that there isn't much to say about the graphics. They're decent but they could have gotten more polish before release like the rest of the game.

The sound seemed to repeatedly cutting out randomly for some reason throughout my play time as well. However, this didn't affect my overall feeling towards the game in any way and I easily ignored it as it wasn't too big of a deal.

In this review, it might come off like I hate Alpha Protocol and even though that's true, there's still some good ideas that are put into Alpha Protocol, which might have been good if they developed these ideas further. The stuff that is common to see and expect in an RPG is present in Alpha Protocol but these things we have seen done a bunch of times are exactly that. Alpha Protocol does nothing to change the styles that are common in RPGs except for the dialogue options, which is one of the best I've seen.

Overall, Alpha Protocol is buggy and generic. It barely does anything to stand out from the crowd and when it tries to do this, it usually falls flat. However, it still uses some ideas which I hope to see in RPGs in a future and if the developers of this game were to make a sequel, maybe tweaking the game a bit, I would definitely buy the sequel to see if these ideas are developed more.

Pros
    + Some good ideas
    + Great concept
    + Good mechanics
    + OK graphics

Cons
    - Underdeveloped ideas
    - Terrible AI
    - Restricted/slippery combat
    - Slow loading textures
  4. Feb 15, 2016
    Not recommendedEven though I thought this game sounded quite promising, and I really wanted to like it, I don't. It seems as if there was a lot of potential regarding what they wanted to do, but I don't think it was done well.

Graphics Yes, the game is from 2010, so keep that in mind. However, I think that, even for 2010, the graphics aren't that good. Character editing (glasses, hat,

Graphics
    Yes, the game is from 2010, so keep that in mind. However, I think that, even for 2010, the graphics aren't that good. Character editing (glasses, hat, hair) looks terrible, same for the movement in combat etc.

Gameplay
    I usually LIKE stealth games, but this one, I didn't. I am not sure whether it's just a higher difficulty or badly done game mechanics. Trying to sneak up on an enemy to take him out often ends up in frustration, as he notices you. However, it feels like the mechanics are just clunky, it's not some overly high AI or bad playing... I have played several stealth games and usually do ok, but here, I tried to sneak up on an enemy, and sometimes, the silent takedown works, sometimes he suddenly alerts everyone around him.

AI
    Terrible. On one hand, the second the alarm is raised, they know EXACTLY where you are and shoot at you, which I find HIGHLY unrealistic. I wouldn't mind if they had a general idea quickly and then search for you there, but the second an alarm is raised, it's like they have a hive intelligence and know where you are.
    At the same time, I have seen some moonwalking, and you can just run towards them and take them down with melee

Combat
    Terrible as well. If there are two obstacles, and you aim between them and aim PERFECTLY at the head of an enemy, you won't hit him. Let me get this straight - two obstacles, you aim between them (yes, there is room between them), and you won't hit him.
    Even when in range, and the dot in your targeting circle is aligned with someones head, you often miss. Having to shoot someone in the head (they wear a mask, or sometimes just a bandana, apparently these items generate a bullet proof forcefield) isn't exactly that realistic either.

Minigames
    There is lockpicking, disabling alarms and hacking. The first two are... ok. The first one is even fun sometimes (balancing the cylinders of the lock, then releasing your lockpick, with a time limit). The second one is ok. The third one is horrible. Not going into details, the other commenters have commented on how terrible that one is many times.

Characters
    I didn't like the whole intro, the conversations, the character design. Apart from simply looking odd, I just didn't care for any character, and I didn't like the main character either, who looks like a mix between Shepherd from Mass Effect and some kind of cyborg.

Overall
    So much potential. I'd have liked to explore the game more and find all the things that those who liked the game praised... the decision-making, the email conversations or whatever.
    However, the intro went on for too long and didn't grab me at all, and the two missions I tried were simply not fun at all. It's not the very outdated (even for a 2010-game!) look, it's the clunky mechanics, bad AI, horrible sneaking mechanics (MGS V and even Sniper Elite 2 and 3 do this SO much better), bad animation, horrible combat/aiming and the minigames.

It's sad, because I was looking forward to trying this, I was very much willing to give it a chance, but I have no interest at all to continue after these two missions.
    If you can get it on sale (I got it for like 3 or 4 bucks), maybe try it out, but unfortunately, I simply can't recommend it.
  5. Jan 5, 2016
    The professional reviewers were right this time. This game is not good. It is an attempt at being a different game that ultimately fails flat due to broken a checkpoint system (can't go back after checkpoint, can't save before buying things), broken stealth mechanic (when fully upgraded), broken dialog system (timed, nonsensical responses). And I almost forgotten annoying mini-games. IThe professional reviewers were right this time. This game is not good. It is an attempt at being a different game that ultimately fails flat due to broken a checkpoint system (can't go back after checkpoint, can't save before buying things), broken stealth mechanic (when fully upgraded), broken dialog system (timed, nonsensical responses). And I almost forgotten annoying mini-games. I can't believe I wasted 25 hours on this. I will never play an Obsidian game again Expand
  6. Nov 9, 2015
    A glorious flop, Alpha Protocol is a highly ambitious project with great ideas but weak gameplay. Sitting in the Deus Ex genre of rpg-stealth-action-espionage, it offers a customizable protagonist and a game world that reacts to your chosen style of play and personality to present a long, branching storyline where your choices really do matter. Friends might betray you, enemies mightA glorious flop, Alpha Protocol is a highly ambitious project with great ideas but weak gameplay. Sitting in the Deus Ex genre of rpg-stealth-action-espionage, it offers a customizable protagonist and a game world that reacts to your chosen style of play and personality to present a long, branching storyline where your choices really do matter. Friends might betray you, enemies might become allies, and the plot has plenty of ways it can wrap up. Stealth mechanics are passable and easily broken by overpowered skills, combat is fairly generic, but between plot and player choice and overall style, it creates a distinct sense of immersion and does a fine job really making you feel like a spy. Frustrating at times, but satisfying, it's worth a look if you enjoy a game you can play any way you want to. Expand
  7. Jun 27, 2015
    Alpha Protocol has Gogo dancers and Sex, Blood lots of satisfying BLOOD nothing made me want to play this game more than a knife to the throat.

Alpha Protocol Is a somewhat buggy kinda gimmicky game but its still has some charm i saw the steam score of 80 (which no way i think it comes close) so i thought it would be pretty impressive but its really nothing close to it lol. Alpha Protocol Feels weird and kinda looks ugly off the bat but after some time it felt great and started to please my eyes. The games gameplay is some of the simplistic yet satisfying in its own way. It reminded me of a metal gear with way less money and for the softcore. The game story kept me going its kinda unique i guess i did enjoy it. I don't know if i would have liked this game if i didn't build my guy assassin i put everything into stealth, pistol and a few points in sabotage and strengths i specialized in stealth, pistol and assault rifle which i regret wish i put it in the CQC but o well you cant go back, all of your decisions are almost finale and it kinda sucks if people want to change there ways let em if they don't want to they wont. why add a strict policy if it doesn't improve the game? o well i lived with it and moved on. I felt that the rectile was the worst i have ever seen and the assault rifle the worse i have ever used! and don't think i would have enjoyed the game other than the first class decisions i made. Its still a FUN game ...

I want to make it clear you can run and gun or you can stealth kill. BUT there are some missions that you are forced to fight and cant complete with stealth only which is disappointing! Replay value is eh never again 4 me.

Just a FYI these are just my opinions. Silent Hightimes
  8. Jun 17, 2015
    As is typical of Obsidian, Alpha Protocol is a game with a great deal of promise let down by a number of flaws. The innovative branching gameplay and conversation system was great, but the game is plagued by bugs, mechanical issues, and a less than stellar control system. Still, it's an interesting game and one of the few rpgs I know of to tackle the modern espionage/spy genre. It's worthAs is typical of Obsidian, Alpha Protocol is a game with a great deal of promise let down by a number of flaws. The innovative branching gameplay and conversation system was great, but the game is plagued by bugs, mechanical issues, and a less than stellar control system. Still, it's an interesting game and one of the few rpgs I know of to tackle the modern espionage/spy genre. It's worth a look so long as you go in with eyes open about if's problems. Expand
  9. Jun 14, 2015
    For an RPG that I've barely heard of until recently, Alpha Protocol is pretty solid. There is a big, overarching story, involving lots of characters and factions, and throughout, your decisions and dialogue choices allow you to ally with some of them, which then can affect outcomes of future missions.

There are a lot of dialogue choices given, most of them determine your tone, such as aggressive or professional. I wasn't too keen on the idea of being given a short time limit on deciding what to say, but I got used to it eventually. Most options are quite straight-forward, but some can be a bit confusing, and at times cause the main character to say something you weren't expecting him to say.

The game has a nice non-linear approach. Once you complete all missions in the first country (Saudi Arabia), you get a choice of 3 more locations (Moscow, Rome, Taipei), which you can do in any order of preference and even go backwards and forwards between them at any time, since each one contains several missions and subplots of their own. Allies you make in one can then help you out in missions in another, which is really great.

What was a bit confusing was how I could even gain rep with the antagonists. It seemed kind of pointless, considering nothing much came of it aside from them simply having a grudging respect towards you and you being considered as 'Friends' by the game despite unloading full clips into one another and calling each other names.

The combat aspect had some good moments and some bad moments. Gun fights in general were really fun and akin to what you'd see in the movies. The hit boxes are great and you can shoot through small gaps and in between ladders. At times gun fights got a bit repetitive, since some missions are very action-packed, and you just wish they'd end already. The stealth seemed kind of bad. I am usually not so good at stealth in games, but in this game I didn't even have a sporting chance, because enemies would often spot me from the other end of the map, ring an alarm, start a massive gun fight, and repeatedly throw grenades at me as though they were playing a game of catch. So after first couple of missions I gave up on stealth altogether and simply went guns blazing. Lastly, I really hated most of the boss fights. I think they are the worst aspect of the game by far. Most of them were simply enemies with overblown amount of health and minions spawning left and right. I think alternate ways of dealing with these bosses would've been nice.

You get to level up your character abilities as you make progress, allowing him to specialise in different types of combat, and you get to customize what gear he takes to missions. It's really detailed, all up to even customizing the add-ons on each weapon.

The game often presents moral choices and dilemmas. Most times they create nice tension and are done well. A few can be annoying, because the game essentially doesn't let you win, no matter how much dossier intel you collect, no matter how much you prepare, no matter how many allies you have to support you - if the game wants to screw you over, you will get screwed over one way or another. It even pulled the whole 'save the damsell or focus on the mission' not once but twice. It's not a huge drawback, but it can put off some players who want to be able to get the best possible outcome by playing their cards right, and if the game lacks that option, they will be disappointed.

Overall this game is worth playing for all fans of RPGs. I am surprised it's been so overlooked.
  10. May 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You play Mike Thorton, a rouge agent gone rouge, trying to protect the world from a greedy weapons corporation. At first the story seemed boring but it really picks up after the first few missions. The game has a open gameplay option, you can either try being a ninja taking out one guy at a time with knife strikes or run in guns blazing. The options for what kind of solider you want to be are there for you or you can pick the "Recruit" and make your solider from scratch.
    Course of the game is driven by your conversations with people along the way. Your offered dialogue options as conversations progress. How you respond to people can either build or remove influence points, ultimately having a outcome towards the end of the game.
    The leveling system and skill layout reminds me a lot of the Mass Effect series, that being said its a pretty decent skill system. Halfway through the game your given the choice of a specialization and just like the base of your character you can either pick a preset one or choose which three traits you wish to indulge in.
    Overall I enjoyed the game and there is a high replay value to the game seeing how you can have a different solider layout and change which people you align with, having a different playthrough experience.

Things I Liked:
    Leveling / Skill System
    Free choice to course of the game
    Conversation Choices
    Mission Debriefing was a nice feature that outlined the events that happened and showed the effect of the choices you made

Things I Disliked:
    Controls at point had a delay time
    A annoying bug that could happen when you were crouched near boxes and moving, you could end up on the top of the pile
    Limited amount of time you had to made a conversation choice
    Hitting with any weapon proved a challenge
  11. May 7, 2015
    this is one highly underrated game. and i don't think the main reason for that is the game being unpolished and buggy. sure it is frustrating at times but overall this game is really good with the choices you make, the storyline, skills and gameplay. and you don't see many spy rpg's around.
  12. Mar 14, 2015
    Obsidian’s 2010 release Alpha Protocol is the best bad game that I have ever played, though the game Deadly Premonition is a close second, in part because of its completely underwhelming technology for a 2010 release but mostly because Alpha Protocol presents several very interesting and fun aspects to gameplay and story progression that actually work and, for the most part, workObsidian’s 2010 release Alpha Protocol is the best bad game that I have ever played, though the game Deadly Premonition is a close second, in part because of its completely underwhelming technology for a 2010 release but mostly because Alpha Protocol presents several very interesting and fun aspects to gameplay and story progression that actually work and, for the most part, work surprisingly well.
    As much as Alpha Protocol could have been huge success with its combination of espionage that is similar to the Splinter Cell and Hitman series and choice based gameplay indicative of the Mass Effect series and Heavy Rain. Unfortunately, Alpha Protocol doesn’t seem to grasp how to fully combine all of its ideas to make something truly enjoyable and ends up as a confused mess of a game. However, while Alpha Protocol is indeed a mess it still has something about it that makes it fun and interesting to play and makes it worthwhile for most gamers to check out.
    The one thing that truly makes Alpha Protocol stand out is the way it utilizes its choice based storyline. Though the actual plot and the protagonist are not all too interesting the dialogue tree allows the player to respond in four different ways (Professional, Suave, Aggressive and Silent) on a time sensitive response menu and it works wonderfully well. Every character the player has a conversation with has their one attitude towards each response type and when they should be used and will respond to the player on a 21-point approval/disapproval scale which will also change how the characters respond to the player based on where in the scale they are. The character approval system even goes so far that other characters in the world will react negatively or positively based on your history with others and your actions in the field (who you’ve save or killed).
    Alpha Protocol is a complex game that was not executed correctly and came out several years too late to be able to fully make up for its faults. That being said, Alpha Protocol has some truly innovative and enjoyable qualities about that offer tons of replay ability to the player. A broken gem but a gem nonetheless.
  13. Nov 23, 2014
    I never understood, why this game got such poor ratings. The storytelling is magnificent and your choices matter.
    Anyway first of all: This is my personal opinion, so you should be aware, that your view of the game could differ. I am a fan of RPGs and started gaming 10 years ago.
    1. Perks/Skills You got a lot of different skill trees, which allow you to play the agent you want.

1. Perks/Skills
    You got a lot of different skill trees, which allow you to play the agent you want. Stealth? Possible. Manipulation? Possible. You can even go full Rambo whenever you want....which is kinda fun.... sometimes.

2. Choices
    The most important part of the game. EVERY Choice has its impact on the story. EVERY **** choice has its benefits aswell as a downside. Even your combat style has an impact on the story.

3. Graphics
    I dont really care about graphics.

4. Bugs
    Ok here we go: The game has its bugs and glitches, but none of them makes the game unplayable. Maybe annoying but not unplayable.

5. Story
    Impressive story with many twists and wtf-moments. Conspiracies, deceit and enough backstabbing till the end. Oh and plenty of ammo and gunfights aswell.
    An important thing about the story: It reacts not only to your choices, it reacts to nearly everything you do.

Summary: This game is a milestone in the history of video games and shows what impactful decisions are.
  14. Oct 4, 2014
    I **** love this game
    it has choices that actually matter and affect the story and narative4
    the gameplay is a bit **** but dayum is the story bretty good
  15. Sep 3, 2014
    This game has the real essence of espionage, in this story we have terrorists, government, rich corporations, world travels and much more, the strongest point in this game is it's story, the decisions you make. The soundtrack is good, not excellent but good enough to make you remember one or two tracks, but the voices were chosen to match every character well, very convincing. the graphicsThis game has the real essence of espionage, in this story we have terrorists, government, rich corporations, world travels and much more, the strongest point in this game is it's story, the decisions you make. The soundtrack is good, not excellent but good enough to make you remember one or two tracks, but the voices were chosen to match every character well, very convincing. the graphics are pretty, but a little dull and not so realistic, there is also a delay on the renderization.
    but the worse point in alpha protocol is it's lazy way to use some of its resources and its playability .the controls are slow, and sometimes not respond so well. the way that Mike move around, make he look more like a robot than a agent, the animations are all robotic, even in the "in game scenes".
    Bugs here are common, bullets that pass directly thought walls, enemies here are blind or have the eye of thundera.
    well alpha protocol unique, fresh and very good but is more an idea, a prototype, a lot of fans believe this could be an awesome game of the production works better in the weak parts, and maybe use a better marketing
  16. Jul 7, 2014
    The game is riddled with mini-games. One of them, hacking computers, is actually impossible if you play with a mouse and keyboard.
    Thousands of complaints on the internet haven't been enough to change this mini-game which was created for consoles.

Don't buy this game if you haven't a controller. You've been warned.
  17. May 23, 2014
    Like some other reviewers, I specifically signed up for Metacritic just to review this game. It's a sad fact that this masterpiece has such a low score.

Because other aspects have been talked about a lot in the other reviews, I will focus on one and only one thing; the action. While some bash the action for being unpolished and buggy, I have to say Alpha Protocol is a perfect arcade shooter. It feels like Max Payne with expanded stealth options, skills and gadgets. Every skill tree has multiple skills which will influence your playstyle in different ways. In addition to this there are more than fifteen different gadgets, drugs and grenades you can use with different effects. It is very enjoyable to sneak your way through a level and knock everyone unconscious, which is certainly possible with the right skills and gadgets. On the other hand, blowing everything up can feel... liberating.

The general consensus that the action part of this game is bad comes from comparisons with Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Splinter Cell, for example. These games have immersive action. Enemies react like they would in real life and your possibilities (except for over the top technology) lie closer to real life. This is not the case in Alpha Protocol. If you want to, you can get through the game as a grenade lobbing martial artist, throwing grenades at groups of opponents and wiping out the rest in melee combat.

In short, do not play the game as a bugged and unpolished 'realistic' spy simulation. Play it like an arcady stealth'em-up and you will have way more fun.
  18. May 22, 2014
    It pains me to give this game such a mediocre review, as it has such good potential. But both the lag and poor framerate are too much to bear. (No my GPU is not crap).
  19. Apr 30, 2014
    Alpha Protocol is one of those games where its problems can be annoying but quickly forgotten when you allow yourself to be immersed in the story. It's a shame and even a crime that this game got negative reviews by major critics. Yes, its glitchy. Yes, the AI is abysmal at times, but there's plenty of glitchy and dumb AI riddled games thats gotten major praise.

If you're into spy and

If you're into spy and espionage movies like James Bond and Jason Bourne, you're gonna feel right at home. You play as Michael Thornton, a government agent brought to a highly classified U.S agency called Alpha Protocol that acts as a "rogue" arm of the government to avoid political red tape and bureaucracy to protect American interests. Through some unfortunate events, you're forced to go against your government to uncover a global conspiracy to start WW3. You can choose his background at the start and model his skills based on your playtype: stealth, combat, or hacking. And each technique provides a unique way to play each mission. Even going lethal or non-lethal makes an impression on how the story goes.

Possibly the best part of the game is the dialogue. I swear, whoever thought of this system needs to be awarded. What makes this dialogue different from most RPGs is that you have 5 maybe 10 seconds to choose a stance you want to respond to characters. Just like real life. You can be aggressive, suave, or professional. However, each character is different and will either respond negatively or positively to each stance. Depending on how much each like you, especially handlers for your missions, you'll get perks on the field to improve performance. In your safehouse, you can buy weapons, accessories, or armor depending on your class. You can even buy intel to give you an easier time in missions, like arranging for higher grade security to be off site and be replaced with less experienced and easier guards or placing weapons like sniper rifles on vantage points.

*sigh* Now for the bad parts. There are 3 types of AI: brain dead AI that literally lags in response even though you're right in front of them or just sneaking past in general, shotgun AI that rocks side to side to avoid your fire, buckshot you, then slowly ease back as you shoot them save for the fact you didnt die from the initial attack, and then you have some AI that seem to know where you are during combat and land a impressive headshot or some other critical that instantly puts you down. There are some texture pop ins and times where character models look downright ugly from not loading fast enough during the cutscene. It can be really distracting especially when deciding your stance.

In short, AP is a good game with its share of problems. Mass Effect was known for its glitches and unstable frame rate and its lauded as one of the best games ever. Its a shame people couldn't see past the bugs and look at the better things of the game. And this game is not one of those "beat it once, then put it back on the shelf for it to collect dust" games. There's multiple ways to play and each will influence the story and how the characters will interpret you.
  20. Apr 22, 2014
    I don’t get all the hatred that’s been directed at this game. I picked it up for $2 during a sale, and some professional game reviewers were warning to not even buy it at that price. Naturally, I had to see what all the fuss was about and…well…Alpha Protocol is really not a bad game.

Not terribly original (a cross between Splinter Cell & Mass Effect in the CIA) and the story isn’t particularly memorable but the gameplay is solid & enjoyable. It’s not the best thing I’ve ever played but it is most certainly not the worst, either. That is, it’s strange to me when professional media praises total garbage like Dragon Age 2 yet trashes Alpha Protocol.

I’ve seen other reviewers complain about the AI in Alpha Protocol and various other glitches. Never had any problem with either of those things. Graphics were nice, music and voice acting were both acceptable. The story is nothing groundbreaking and a bit predictable given the way espionage stories go these days (America is the REAL enemy! Dun dun dunnn!) but it’s still fun to engage in the different relationships and choices you can make which have a real impact on the plot. And the gameplay is the glue that holds everything together; not revolutionary but good enough.

The only drawback to Alpha Protocol is that it’s rather forgettable and you won’t have any reason to replay it unless you want to witness some of the multiple story paths. You can expect to spend somewhere around 20 hours and will have a good time during that, though. It’s a shame that this first entry got savaged because it really could have turned into a good series. Instead we have Assassin’s Creed Part 8 and Final Fantasy 13 Part 3. Oh well.
  21. Mar 20, 2014
    Alpha Protocol is a Deus Ex/Splinter Cell (sprinkled with a bit of Mass effect) wannabe that actually succeed at creating an immersive “James Bond” RPG fantasy, despite its many technical problems. Pros: 1) Good storytelling and characters; 2) Deep RPG elements; 3) Excellent facial animations; 4) Tough decisions to make, with interesting consequences; 5) Innovative dialog system;
    6) Gameplay that emphasizes player choice

Cons:
    1) Bad console port – Recommend using a controller for the best experience;
    2) Checkpoint system (I hate that!);
    3) No antialiasing – Warning: don’t force it through the graphic drivers, or you will break the game). You can have MSAA however if you download this file (http://mrhaandi.blogspot.pt/p/injectsmaa.html) and extract/add it to /AlphaProtocol/ Binaries/ folder;
    4) Lots of bugs and glitches, for example in some missions if you reload a checkpoint, the NPC’s won’t respawn. Surprisingly the game never crashed on me;
    5) Glitchy controls and camera (sometimes the camera locks, and you won’t be able to move, other times it will do a one eighty for no reason.) – Warning: Don’t assign the interact function to any other key than space, or you will break the hacking mini-game.
    6) The f****** hacking mini-game – Warning: don’t play this game on hard as a recruit, and put some action points on the technical skill branch before you start the game;
    7) Terrible cover system – Warning: avoid throwing grenades from cover, because they tend to explode in your face)
    8) Zero Modding community.

Ultimately, despite its many technical faults, Alpha Protocol is still very fun to play, and that is what really matters in the ends. If you can look pass the obvious technical problems, you will see that it is a very deep and immersive RPG experience that unfortunately lacks a lot of polish. Nevertheless, this does not excuse Obsidian and Sega for releasing an unfinished product, nor their unwillingness to fix it after release.

Conclusion: If you like RPG games like Mass effect and Deus Ex, I recommend giving this (very underrated) game a go, but don’t expect a smooth ride in the gameplay department.
  22. Mar 17, 2014
    This is a phenomenal game! It's a lot like the original Deus Ex, but with more depth in story, investigation, and interpersonal interaction. The combat is fun; the weapons are fun; the character advancement is fun and varied; the skills are useful and interesting. You can play this game pretty much any way you want--from run-and-gun, to gadgetry, to total stealth--or any combination ofThis is a phenomenal game! It's a lot like the original Deus Ex, but with more depth in story, investigation, and interpersonal interaction. The combat is fun; the weapons are fun; the character advancement is fun and varied; the skills are useful and interesting. You can play this game pretty much any way you want--from run-and-gun, to gadgetry, to total stealth--or any combination of the above. Most impressive, though, is just how many things--some big and some quite small--will have noteworthy impacts on the story. These aren't just random "easter eggs," either; it's all stuff that MAKES SENSE, as if you were really doing these things, affecting people's lives, changing global politics, etc. Sometimes, ticking off a character is what you want--if you decide to play it that way; other times, it's best to please people. There are underworld contacts to foster, government agencies to get involved with, conspiracy theorists to conspire with, several romantic interests, and on, and on. If you likes the interpersonal interaction in the Mass Effect series, you'll probably like this more. Moreover, how much you get your handlers to like you has a MAJOR impact on the story, the missions you go on, etc. Many missions are only available if you make certain choices--like sparing one person or killing another. You can get combative or other help in missions by getting the right people on your side. Truly, as far as I can tell, every single aspect of this game changes depending on the hundreds of decisions you make during play. I honestly can't fathom how the programmers pulled this off...except for spending a ton of time writing elaborate conditionals. The plot is also extremely interesting. On my first playthrough, I was utterly shocked at some of the stuff that happened--which is quite rare for me. The few complaints I have (hence the 9 rating, and not 10) is that unless you get the right underworld contacts, you won't be able to upgrade your gear the way you like--and this isn't entirely apparent during play. Also, the aiming/stability mechanics take some getting used to. In the beginning, you'll have a hard time hitting things (i.e. wasting a lot of your limited ammo--which you'll then have to buy more of for later missions). This does get better, though, as you level-up the weapon skills that you use most. I strongly recommend only specializing in two weapons (since this is how many you can carry at once), and putting no points, at all, into the ones you don't intend to use in every mission. My last gripe is that the learning curve is a little steep (as in, you'll make a lot of mistakes the first time through)--but this probably can't be avoided for a game this deep. Other than these three minor gripes, though, this game is, IMHO, completely perfect. Note: I'm playing the Steam version, as of 3-17-2014, which has no bugs that I can find. The earlier versions, I understand, were pretty buggy. It took me a solid 13 hours of play to complete this game, and it is highly re-playable. Kudos to the developers! Enjoy! Expand
  23. Mar 13, 2014
    Similar to many other users, I registered on MetaCritic specifically to review this game. It truly is a hidden gem. The conversation reminds me a bit of Mass Effect, the shooting reminds me of the old-school Rainbow Six (where moving expands the reticule and so on). Great story, great characters, solid action and RPG development. High recommended.

I just wish they would make a second one.
  24. Feb 17, 2014
    Alpha Protocol is an underrated game. It is a true RPG experience where every action you make carries weight. However a lack of polish seems to have put off many players due to outdated graphics, bugs and AI issues. I urge all RPG fans to give it a go and judge for yourself. In my opinion this game deserves a shot.
  25. Dec 14, 2013
    This game looks like a more re****** brother of Deus Ex or Mass Effect, it even feels that way but the decision making is the best i ever found in a game. It doesnt show you the best answers, it doesnt hint you what to say, you also have short time to decide which answer to take. So for me its an 8.
  26. Dec 12, 2013
    Alpha protocol is underrated don't listen to big shot payed big buck reviews..is the game perfect no game is so it has its flaws like a bit of frame rate issues animations can look stiff the shooting and the A.I can feel off at times and I hate the hacking but theres nothing game breaking at least for pc versions..the experience is like mass effect meets James bond meets metal gear in aAlpha protocol is underrated don't listen to big shot payed big buck reviews..is the game perfect no game is so it has its flaws like a bit of frame rate issues animations can look stiff the shooting and the A.I can feel off at times and I hate the hacking but theres nothing game breaking at least for pc versions..the experience is like mass effect meets James bond meets metal gear in a great way..the controls at least for the 360 controller are solid and once you got them down its smooth sailing..graphics if u don't play a game based on graphics it wont matter but if u do there decent ..all in all an enjoyable time Expand
  27. Dec 3, 2013
    This game is great if you play it as a stealth based rpg you try to play it as a generic shooter you will be disappointed. story is actually very intriguing although the voice acting was sub par. easily worth the money for a unique game.
  28. AH1
    Nov 24, 2013
    Is Alpha Protocol a perfect game? No, but it is most certainly under-rated. The truly remarkable thing about Alpha Protocol is how reactive the narrative is to the user's play style and plot choices. While there is a "shooter" aspect to the game, those who try to play the game as a raw shooter will find it very frustrating as it is not, at its core, meant to be played this way. But forIs Alpha Protocol a perfect game? No, but it is most certainly under-rated. The truly remarkable thing about Alpha Protocol is how reactive the narrative is to the user's play style and plot choices. While there is a "shooter" aspect to the game, those who try to play the game as a raw shooter will find it very frustrating as it is not, at its core, meant to be played this way. But for those who take time to engage the "thinking" element of the plot, and carefully consider and choose their course of action, the game can be quite immersive and satisfying. Had the game been more successful, I think many of its mechanics would have found their way into other games, and the franchise itself would have seen several sequels. Quite a shame really because I do think this game deserves something of a better regard.

That said, there are some problems. Namely, the game does have some annoying bugs, although I did not personally run into any gamebreaking ones. This is also a game that is obviously meant to be played with a PC gamepad, as the controls are quite clunky otherwise. The final area of criticism I have is that the characters in the game are quite one dimensional. If you are looking for a spy with as much development as, say, Gabriel Allon from Daniel Silva's novels, you will be disappointed. However, the characters have about as much development as most Hollywood blockbuster spy thrillers, something that perhaps does not translate well to an interactive narrative medium.

These days, the game is regularly on sale on Steam for under $5. For that price, it is absolutely worth your money and time.
  29. Nov 11, 2013
    Mind-numbing conversation system, HORRIBLE controls that were obviously a failed port and a maddeningly difficult hacking system (which you'll have to engage in often) all make this game more of a bother than it's worth.
  30. Oct 30, 2013
    Clearly underrated! The best in the business at story telling and choice's impact.

Clearly, this game is legit. More than legit. We could point out the problems of gameplay: They do exist. But, in my opinion.... The story, the background, the characters... The choices... Prevail. This game is a must-play.

1. From the beginning of the game, till the ending, I was relatively pleased with how important and impactful the decisions I made were.
  2. PC PowerPlay
    Mediocre gameplay hides an enjoyable RPG with moments of genius. But it could have been so much more. [Aug 2010, p.56]
  3. PC Zone UK
    That exhilarating core deserves more than the pretty rancid crust that tops it. [Aug 2010, p.76]