Alpha Protocol PC

7.5

1. Oct 27, 2011
    I want to start off by saying this game is not worth it's full price, if you want Alpha Protocol, wait for it to go on sale as it often does on Steam. With that being said, the game is definitely worth it to anyone who enjoys Espionage stories and games like Mass Effect, in which you feel like you actually have a say in the sequence of events. These two things, the latter especially, II want to start off by saying this game is not worth it's full price, if you want Alpha Protocol, wait for it to go on sale as it often does on Steam. With that being said, the game is definitely worth it to anyone who enjoys Espionage stories and games like Mass Effect, in which you feel like you actually have a say in the sequence of events. These two things, the latter especially, I cannot stress enough as being very, very impressive. I've played through the game twice now, and even by doing missions in a different order, you will find that the story has drastically changed. Another great feature is the cast of odd ball characters you encounter. They range from your classic Bond villain, to the stereotypical Saudi terrorist, to the loveable oddballs you would find in a Quentin Terontino film. And this diversity is great and breathes life into the game. Just as you're getting bored with dealing with one set of adversaries a whole new and different group appears. And with that being say, Alpha Protocol is the autistic brother to other games, such as Mass Effect. It does what it does well so good, but it struggles in other areas. Such as gameplay. This game was nearly unplayable until I changed the sound.ini files. The fact my "Takedowns" were just as loud as a shotgun is just unacceptable. Even silenced weapons, which in most games will make your gun silenced, here, however, it just makes a pistol slightly quieter. And there really is no stealth, there is no Splinter Cell going from shadow to shadow, there is no Assassins Creed blending in to crowds, in all honesty, it's Mass Effect with crouching and occasionally enemies won't see you. Shooting, as well, is a little rough. Blind firing, I find, is far more effective than aiming for some reason. Gadgets never do anything. And the hacking mini-games are tedious and boring, adding no extra life to the game, only sucking it away. While Alpha Protocol does suffer from these dehibilitations, with a game like this that frequently hovers around $2 on Steam sales and the ability to make your guns slightly quieter through small tweaking of the system, the story and characters make this game worth looking at. Expand
  2. Mar 26, 2011
    A mixed bag. The plot and dialogue are for the most part excellent, but a huge range of gameplay issues keep this game from becoming great. If this game had come out in 2006 it would be a classic. However, in a post ME2 world, it feels clunky and dated.
  3. Jun 13, 2012
    Alpha Protocol got a lot of hate on release, some of it deserved, but a lot of it wasn't. The controls and combat are pretty awkward, and there are some annoying bugs, but I have to say that out of all the RPGs I've played, AP has THE BEST dialogue/consequence system yet put in a game. Take the Bioware system, for example. Your choices boil down to basically 'I don't want to burn downAlpha Protocol got a lot of hate on release, some of it deserved, but a lot of it wasn't. The controls and combat are pretty awkward, and there are some annoying bugs, but I have to say that out of all the RPGs I've played, AP has THE BEST dialogue/consequence system yet put in a game. Take the Bioware system, for example. Your choices boil down to basically 'I don't want to burn down the orphanage', 'I enjoy eating orphans', and 'Orphans LOL'. Then, regardless of what choice you made, the orphanage is blown up because that's the only way to advance the plot, and you get numbers added or subtracted to some **** arbitrary paragon/renegade/karma value. In the Alpha Protocol system, important dialogue choices have a time limit on them, encouraging you to respond naturally, and because of this the conversations flow a lot better. Secondly, even the most innocuous conversation has consequences down the line. If you actually crack open the game files or read a guide, you'll see there are some crazy things that happen (or don't) depending on your choices. Thirdly, a lot of what you do doesn't have an arbitrary good/evil choice to resolve it with. Anyway, bottom line, if you can get past gameplay issues, this game is a hidden gem and definitely deserves a look. Expand
  4. Oct 1, 2011
    Picked this game up on the cheap. Very surprised. WELL worth it to me. I played through DEHR three times, and I know I'll play through Alpha Protocol at least twice. Yep, many people felt there were quirks with it, but once you figure it out it gets pretty fun pretty fast. Amazing to me the amount of work they put into this game (I have a hard time counting flaws when I'm having fun). HadPicked this game up on the cheap. Very surprised. WELL worth it to me. I played through DEHR three times, and I know I'll play through Alpha Protocol at least twice. Yep, many people felt there were quirks with it, but once you figure it out it gets pretty fun pretty fast. Amazing to me the amount of work they put into this game (I have a hard time counting flaws when I'm having fun). Had this game came out during a dry time in PC gaming it's my personal opinion it would have been a big hit. Especially if it came out WELL before DEHR. BTW, I recommend EASY (the game save system is kinda unforgiving) your first playthrough (and commando, since stealth seems a bit harder and you still have the choice of going in with a mix of sneak takedowns or lethal as you so choose - though I'm going more tech/stealth my next play). I do feel the game gives you the freedom to play your style, which shares the great appeal of DEHR in my opinion). Quirks, but fun. Fun always wins in my book. Expand
  5. May 16, 2012
    I will admit that when I first picked this up a year and a half ago, I hated it. I hated the wonky controls, the psychotic camera, the fact I could not see any text describing the dialogue buttons (a real game killer) and the overall way the game played. I actually never got beyond the first training mission; I rage quit, uninstalled and swore I would sooner eat a dead dog's d*ck thanI will admit that when I first picked this up a year and a half ago, I hated it. I hated the wonky controls, the psychotic camera, the fact I could not see any text describing the dialogue buttons (a real game killer) and the overall way the game played. I actually never got beyond the first training mission; I rage quit, uninstalled and swore I would sooner eat a dead dog's d*ck than ever play this game. So what happened? Well, this game sat at the top of my Steam Library for the aforementioned time span, so I'd always see it when launching other games. It kind of bugged me that I paid for what I had hoped was a great game, yet never played. Then, out of boredom/curiosity the other day I started re reading reviews, and noticed there were quite a few positive ones, even some outright enthusiastic fanboy exultations and I began to think; maybe I should give this one more go. I have a much better graphic card and thanks to Motioninjoy I can use my PS3 controller. Holy MacKackaronie, am I ever glad I did! Once I got into the meat of the game , I was hooked! The more I played, the more I could not stop. This should have been a blockbuster hit, but due to a lack of polish and fine tuning it got hated on by critics and gamers alike. However, those who persevered found the real unpolished gem that this truly is, and I thank those fans for enticing me to retry something special I would have otherwise missed. This is why I read reviews...and in this very rare case, I did a complete 180 and now love Alpha Protocol. What a shame it never got the kudos it deserved. My advice for anyone who passed on this, if you can find it (especially on sale) use a game pad, NOT keyboard /mouse, and go have yourself a blast. If you liked Splinter Cell and Deus Ex, this is their love child. Expand
  6. Nov 11, 2013
    Mind-numbing conversation system, HORRIBLE controls that were obviously a failed port and a maddeningly difficult hacking system (which you'll have to engage in often) all make this game more of a bother than it's worth.
  7. Aug 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Played the game twice, the replay value is high! There are 3 different endings, with numerous variations to them. The voice acting is very good, and makes the game seem lively. Graphics are a bit dated but the game still looks nice, and will run on any modern PC out there smoothly. Character customization is limited, however the weapon and armor customizations are quite deep. Gameplay is also customizable, you can play the game however you wanna. Expand
  8. Jan 5, 2016
    The professional reviewers were right this time. This game is not good. It is an attempt at being a different game that ultimately fails flat due to broken a checkpoint system (can't go back after checkpoint, can't save before buying things), broken stealth mechanic (when fully upgraded), broken dialog system (timed, nonsensical responses). And I almost forgotten annoying mini-games. IThe professional reviewers were right this time. This game is not good. It is an attempt at being a different game that ultimately fails flat due to broken a checkpoint system (can't go back after checkpoint, can't save before buying things), broken stealth mechanic (when fully upgraded), broken dialog system (timed, nonsensical responses). And I almost forgotten annoying mini-games. I can't believe I wasted 25 hours on this. I will never play an Obsidian game again Expand
  9. Jun 17, 2015
    As is typical of Obsidian, Alpha Protocol is a game with a great deal of promise let down by a number of flaws. The innovative branching gameplay and conversation system was great, but the game is plagued by bugs, mechanical issues, and a less than stellar control system. Still, it's an interesting game and one of the few rpgs I know of to tackle the modern espionage/spy genre. It's worthAs is typical of Obsidian, Alpha Protocol is a game with a great deal of promise let down by a number of flaws. The innovative branching gameplay and conversation system was great, but the game is plagued by bugs, mechanical issues, and a less than stellar control system. Still, it's an interesting game and one of the few rpgs I know of to tackle the modern espionage/spy genre. It's worth a look so long as you go in with eyes open about if's problems. Expand
  10. Feb 15, 2016
    Not recommendedEven though I thought this game sounded quite promising, and I really wanted to like it, I don't. It seems as if there was a lot of potential regarding what they wanted to do, but I don't think it was done well.

Graphics Yes, the game is from 2010, so keep that in mind. However, I think that, even for 2010, the graphics aren't that good. Character editing (glasses, hat,

Graphics
    Yes, the game is from 2010, so keep that in mind. However, I think that, even for 2010, the graphics aren't that good. Character editing (glasses, hat, hair) looks terrible, same for the movement in combat etc.

Gameplay
    I usually LIKE stealth games, but this one, I didn't. I am not sure whether it's just a higher difficulty or badly done game mechanics. Trying to sneak up on an enemy to take him out often ends up in frustration, as he notices you. However, it feels like the mechanics are just clunky, it's not some overly high AI or bad playing... I have played several stealth games and usually do ok, but here, I tried to sneak up on an enemy, and sometimes, the silent takedown works, sometimes he suddenly alerts everyone around him.

AI
    Terrible. On one hand, the second the alarm is raised, they know EXACTLY where you are and shoot at you, which I find HIGHLY unrealistic. I wouldn't mind if they had a general idea quickly and then search for you there, but the second an alarm is raised, it's like they have a hive intelligence and know where you are.
    At the same time, I have seen some moonwalking, and you can just run towards them and take them down with melee

Combat
    Terrible as well. If there are two obstacles, and you aim between them and aim PERFECTLY at the head of an enemy, you won't hit him. Let me get this straight - two obstacles, you aim between them (yes, there is room between them), and you won't hit him.
    Even when in range, and the dot in your targeting circle is aligned with someones head, you often miss. Having to shoot someone in the head (they wear a mask, or sometimes just a bandana, apparently these items generate a bullet proof forcefield) isn't exactly that realistic either.

Minigames
    There is lockpicking, disabling alarms and hacking. The first two are... ok. The first one is even fun sometimes (balancing the cylinders of the lock, then releasing your lockpick, with a time limit). The second one is ok. The third one is horrible. Not going into details, the other commenters have commented on how terrible that one is many times.

Characters
    I didn't like the whole intro, the conversations, the character design. Apart from simply looking odd, I just didn't care for any character, and I didn't like the main character either, who looks like a mix between Shepherd from Mass Effect and some kind of cyborg.

Overall
    So much potential. I'd have liked to explore the game more and find all the things that those who liked the game praised... the decision-making, the email conversations or whatever.
    However, the intro went on for too long and didn't grab me at all, and the two missions I tried were simply not fun at all. It's not the very outdated (even for a 2010-game!) look, it's the clunky mechanics, bad AI, horrible sneaking mechanics (MGS V and even Sniper Elite 2 and 3 do this SO much better), bad animation, horrible combat/aiming and the minigames.

It's sad, because I was looking forward to trying this, I was very much willing to give it a chance, but I have no interest at all to continue after these two missions.
    If you can get it on sale (I got it for like 3 or 4 bucks), maybe try it out, but unfortunately, I simply can't recommend it.
  11. Apr 22, 2016
    Alpha Protocol is a game that I really wanted to like. I tried to look past the flaws that this game had, but I honestly couldn't. The best thing I can say about Alpha Protocol is that it at least tried to be something different, but even if you try to do something different, it doesn't mean that it will always be good.

Alpha Protocol has a unique concept, an espionage RPG. I was

Alpha Protocol has a unique concept, an espionage RPG. I was surprised to see that this sort of idea, hadn't been done that often in gaming and that is one thing that I respect this game for doing. The main problem with this however is that in my opinion, Alpha Protocol doesn't really use any of the unique ideas it brings to the table that well and the basic stuff that are required to make a good game (like gameplay, playability and graphics) aren't really focused on as they put most of their thought, time and care into trying to implement these ideas to try and live up to it's name "an espionage RPG."

One of the biggest problems Alpha Protocol has is in it's gameplay. Nearly everything in the gameplay falls flat. While the training section at the beginning of the game, does show off some great ideas for an espionage RPG like sneaking mechanics, combat and gadgets, I didn't feel like I was having any fun playing this or doing any of these ideas for gameplay because in the end, that's what I was thinking they were, just some ideas. I felt like these ideas were only half executed. The ideas are there, but they just stopped after that. Sneaking is basically useless because the AI is really bad. Gun combat feels restricted an the sensitivity never feels right no matter what you set it to. Melee combat, while it's better than gun combat, feels slippery for the majority of the time, but at least it was more controllable than the gun Gadgets are basically useless in combat because you can't really tell where they'll land. There's no targeting ridicule for them so you just need to predict where they'll land.

Graphics are for the most part good however there are several flaws with them. There is quite a lot of slow loading textures from time to time and the longer I played, the more frequently these occurred. There is also a bit of pop in going on quite a bit. Apart from that there isn't much to say about the graphics. They're decent but they could have gotten more polish before release like the rest of the game.

The sound seemed to repeatedly cutting out randomly for some reason throughout my play time as well. However, this didn't affect my overall feeling towards the game in any way and I easily ignored it as it wasn't too big of a deal.

In this review, it might come off like I hate Alpha Protocol and even though that's true, there's still some good ideas that are put into Alpha Protocol, which might have been good if they developed these ideas further. The stuff that is common to see and expect in an RPG is present in Alpha Protocol but these things we have seen done a bunch of times are exactly that. Alpha Protocol does nothing to change the styles that are common in RPGs except for the dialogue options, which is one of the best I've seen.

Overall, Alpha Protocol is buggy and generic. It barely does anything to stand out from the crowd and when it tries to do this, it usually falls flat. However, it still uses some ideas which I hope to see in RPGs in a future and if the developers of this game were to make a sequel, maybe tweaking the game a bit, I would definitely buy the sequel to see if these ideas are developed more.

Pros
    + Some good ideas
    + Great concept
    + Good mechanics
    + OK graphics

Cons
    - Underdeveloped ideas
    - Terrible AI
    - Restricted/slippery combat
    - Slow loading textures
  12. Dec 1, 2011
    Alpha Protocol is hands down one of the best spy and espionage games on the PC. It kind of makes you feel like Jason Bourne. The interactive story provides satisfaction in knowing you are actually a part of the outcome and all of your actions have consequences. In addition, the timed responses mean that all conversations remain fluid and believable. The perk system provides personaAlpha Protocol is hands down one of the best spy and espionage games on the PC. It kind of makes you feel like Jason Bourne. The interactive story provides satisfaction in knowing you are actually a part of the outcome and all of your actions have consequences. In addition, the timed responses mean that all conversations remain fluid and believable. The perk system provides persona customization primarily between stealth or run and gun. There is a money collection system for buying weapons, armor, and accessories through the black market to enhance your chosen perks. The aiming system was biggest weakness, the enemy AI could have been improved, and the bosses seemed overpowered, but overall there was really very few issues with the gameplay, and the execution is top notch. The game also offers a lot of replayability due to its diverse story paths. This is a must buy. Expand
  13. Jun 14, 2015
    For an RPG that I've barely heard of until recently, Alpha Protocol is pretty solid. There is a big, overarching story, involving lots of characters and factions, and throughout, your decisions and dialogue choices allow you to ally with some of them, which then can affect outcomes of future missions.

There are a lot of dialogue choices given, most of them determine your tone, such as aggressive or professional. I wasn't too keen on the idea of being given a short time limit on deciding what to say, but I got used to it eventually. Most options are quite straight-forward, but some can be a bit confusing, and at times cause the main character to say something you weren't expecting him to say.

The game has a nice non-linear approach. Once you complete all missions in the first country (Saudi Arabia), you get a choice of 3 more locations (Moscow, Rome, Taipei), which you can do in any order of preference and even go backwards and forwards between them at any time, since each one contains several missions and subplots of their own. Allies you make in one can then help you out in missions in another, which is really great.

What was a bit confusing was how I could even gain rep with the antagonists. It seemed kind of pointless, considering nothing much came of it aside from them simply having a grudging respect towards you and you being considered as 'Friends' by the game despite unloading full clips into one another and calling each other names.

The combat aspect had some good moments and some bad moments. Gun fights in general were really fun and akin to what you'd see in the movies. The hit boxes are great and you can shoot through small gaps and in between ladders. At times gun fights got a bit repetitive, since some missions are very action-packed, and you just wish they'd end already. The stealth seemed kind of bad. I am usually not so good at stealth in games, but in this game I didn't even have a sporting chance, because enemies would often spot me from the other end of the map, ring an alarm, start a massive gun fight, and repeatedly throw grenades at me as though they were playing a game of catch. So after first couple of missions I gave up on stealth altogether and simply went guns blazing. Lastly, I really hated most of the boss fights. I think they are the worst aspect of the game by far. Most of them were simply enemies with overblown amount of health and minions spawning left and right. I think alternate ways of dealing with these bosses would've been nice.

You get to level up your character abilities as you make progress, allowing him to specialise in different types of combat, and you get to customize what gear he takes to missions. It's really detailed, all up to even customizing the add-ons on each weapon.

The game often presents moral choices and dilemmas. Most times they create nice tension and are done well. A few can be annoying, because the game essentially doesn't let you win, no matter how much dossier intel you collect, no matter how much you prepare, no matter how many allies you have to support you - if the game wants to screw you over, you will get screwed over one way or another. It even pulled the whole 'save the damsell or focus on the mission' not once but twice. It's not a huge drawback, but it can put off some players who want to be able to get the best possible outcome by playing their cards right, and if the game lacks that option, they will be disappointed.

Overall this game is worth playing for all fans of RPGs. I am surprised it's been so overlooked.
  14. Apr 18, 2012
    Don't listen to everybody else. This game is AMAZING. There's not that much more to say because I don't you'll read it anyways. But let me say this. This game is very unique and in a good way. The game has SO MANY different options. You choose everything that's going to happen. This is the game that your choices matter. Plus you're an undercover agent, spy and you'll feel like a badass theDon't listen to everybody else. This game is AMAZING. There's not that much more to say because I don't you'll read it anyways. But let me say this. This game is very unique and in a good way. The game has SO MANY different options. You choose everything that's going to happen. This is the game that your choices matter. Plus you're an undercover agent, spy and you'll feel like a badass the whole time :) Expand
  15. Mar 7, 2012
    I can't put my finger on it, but there's something special about this game. Given that the subject matter is not my usual area of interest (espionage, CIA, NWO) I'm even more impressed that Alpha Protocol had me playing as long as it did. Some elements are a little dated and there's a few graphical glitches but it boasts an excellent choice/consequence system, the repercussions of whichI can't put my finger on it, but there's something special about this game. Given that the subject matter is not my usual area of interest (espionage, CIA, NWO) I'm even more impressed that Alpha Protocol had me playing as long as it did. Some elements are a little dated and there's a few graphical glitches but it boasts an excellent choice/consequence system, the repercussions of which can actually be felt in-game. You are also required to read real words and observe the game world, as opposed to having things pointed out to you with a big yellow arrow. It also has a great sense of humour, engaging story and a fair share of unique game-play aspects that make numerous replays a high probability. I finished the game three times successively and logged 25 hours on steam. Expand
  16. May 6, 2012
    I can't give this game a high score. As much as I want to enjoy it, I can't.
    The graphics are flat and motion blur is sickening. I cannot play more than an hour of this game due to the motion blur which makes me eyesick.
    I can't give this game a high score. As much as I want to enjoy it, I can't.
    The AI in this game is also very, very stupid. They magically know you are there if there's an alarm, and if there's not an alarm, they're like deaf and blind babies with guns.
    The choice and storyline in this game is what makes it all. The choices are great and, as Yahtzee would say, you get to be all kinds of dick or good guy.
    Buy this game on a sale. It's not worth the price in my full, honest opinion.
  17. Nov 18, 2011
    I picked up a copy of Alpha Protocol on steam and have found it to be a very enjoyable game that has an interesting story line and an overall game design that reminds me of the Mass Effect and Dues Ex games. The graphics while not quite on par with either Mass Effect or Dues Ex are still good enough to make the game environment immersive and believable. The music is excellent as are theI picked up a copy of Alpha Protocol on steam and have found it to be a very enjoyable game that has an interesting story line and an overall game design that reminds me of the Mass Effect and Dues Ex games. The graphics while not quite on par with either Mass Effect or Dues Ex are still good enough to make the game environment immersive and believable. The music is excellent as are the overall controls. While the game can be played with either a 360 controller or mouse/keyboard, I personally like the latter approach because of the extra precision aim control that a high def mouse provides over the clunky controller experience where one always feels as if they are over correcting. The dialog system is very similar to that used in Mass Effect but this is one area where the controls were an afterthought, forcing you to switch from WASD, to the arrow keys but it still works ok. Like Mass Effect, your dialog choices influence how others feel about your character, as do your overall moral choices in how the game plays out. Like Mass Effect and DuesEx, the game has a number of mini games for opening locked doors, disabling security systems and hacking into computers to obtain critical data. All of these work well and fit nicely into the game. While the lock picking is easy to master, as is the alarm bypass mini game, the computer hacking code is tricky and takes some getting used to. Still if you have the time, and are paying attention to the alarm timers, you are giving an unlimited amount of tries, something Mass Effect did not allow. One nit that I have is that the AI is very simple minded and easy, even of higher difficulty settings, to overcome. Still, over all a well-programmed game that helps, to recreate what it might be like to be a 007 type. Normally Iâ Expand
  18. Oct 23, 2011
    So, i finished the game 10 minutes ago.
    Now my resume:
    Alpha Protocol had one of the best cost/fun ratio i have ever played.
    I got it from steam for only 2â
  19. Oct 13, 2013
    So very nearly great. Fantastic concept, seemingly well executed, then you hit bugs and issues with AI and mechanics problems.... Basically, had a bit more time been spent on the game design and debugging phase this could easily have been up there with the classics.

Sadly it isn't.
  20. Jan 17, 2012
    I have to compare to mass effect, i'm sorry. The AI and gunplay is not fun in my eyes. I purchased it on the reccomendation of it being a hidden gem, and no its not. The level design is very bland, leading you through a straight path with only a small number of ways to approach that path. Also, martials arts animations are lame.
  21. Apr 24, 2013
    Better than its reputation led me to believe. Don't get me wrong, it has flaws but once you get the hang of it it's very enjoyable. If you've been debating about picking it up I highly recommend grabbing it, especially since it's on sale now. Some of the controls are funky (hacking is rather annoying) and the story is fairly cliche but in usual Obsidian fashion the characters are very wellBetter than its reputation led me to believe. Don't get me wrong, it has flaws but once you get the hang of it it's very enjoyable. If you've been debating about picking it up I highly recommend grabbing it, especially since it's on sale now. Some of the controls are funky (hacking is rather annoying) and the story is fairly cliche but in usual Obsidian fashion the characters are very well put together and I easily found myself sucked in despite ARPG/Shooters not being my thing. Some of the design reminds me of Deus Ex, you almost always have the option of stealth or combat and both are viable. The design allowing you to pick and choose allies which directly impacts the way the story unfolds is great. Expand
  22. Jan 14, 2012
    THis was the first undercover sneak agent type og game i ever played so for me sneaking around and not killing everything was really new. I did however like this game quite much and the story and dialog was never boring. The skills system is also geat and after i maxed out hand guns i could pretty much kill everything in sight without having to sneak through it. The game however is simplyTHis was the first undercover sneak agent type og game i ever played so for me sneaking around and not killing everything was really new. I did however like this game quite much and the story and dialog was never boring. The skills system is also geat and after i maxed out hand guns i could pretty much kill everything in sight without having to sneak through it. The game however is simply fun to play and there are many tactics to beat it. Expand
  23. Mar 12, 2012
    Nowadays I don't finish a lot of games anymore, but this game sucked me in and got me hooked until the end. The dialogue is great and the choices you make have a really big impact on the game. There's a big roleplaying aspect to the dialogue choices too, you can play Thorton the way you want. Also, you can go to any location in the game whenever you want and visiting locations in aNowadays I don't finish a lot of games anymore, but this game sucked me in and got me hooked until the end. The dialogue is great and the choices you make have a really big impact on the game. There's a big roleplaying aspect to the dialogue choices too, you can play Thorton the way you want. Also, you can go to any location in the game whenever you want and visiting locations in a different order makes the outcome different. After finishing the game I immediately started a new playthrough. Storywise, this is the best RPG I have ever played. The gameplay is good as well. Weapons are highly moddable, every skill is fun to use. I bought and played Deus Ex: Human Revolution right after playing Alpha Protocol. It was a terrible experience, Alpha Protocol did everything so much better. Expand
  24. Mar 15, 2012
    Terrible controls and some game engine problems, but still loved this game! I had to give 7 because of the problems but the story was nice and the whole environment the game created.
  25. Mar 17, 2014
    This is a phenomenal game! It's a lot like the original Deus Ex, but with more depth in story, investigation, and interpersonal interaction. The combat is fun; the weapons are fun; the character advancement is fun and varied; the skills are useful and interesting. You can play this game pretty much any way you want--from run-and-gun, to gadgetry, to total stealth--or any combination ofThis is a phenomenal game! It's a lot like the original Deus Ex, but with more depth in story, investigation, and interpersonal interaction. The combat is fun; the weapons are fun; the character advancement is fun and varied; the skills are useful and interesting. You can play this game pretty much any way you want--from run-and-gun, to gadgetry, to total stealth--or any combination of the above. Most impressive, though, is just how many things--some big and some quite small--will have noteworthy impacts on the story. These aren't just random "easter eggs," either; it's all stuff that MAKES SENSE, as if you were really doing these things, affecting people's lives, changing global politics, etc. Sometimes, ticking off a character is what you want--if you decide to play it that way; other times, it's best to please people. There are underworld contacts to foster, government agencies to get involved with, conspiracy theorists to conspire with, several romantic interests, and on, and on. If you likes the interpersonal interaction in the Mass Effect series, you'll probably like this more. Moreover, how much you get your handlers to like you has a MAJOR impact on the story, the missions you go on, etc. Many missions are only available if you make certain choices--like sparing one person or killing another. You can get combative or other help in missions by getting the right people on your side. Truly, as far as I can tell, every single aspect of this game changes depending on the hundreds of decisions you make during play. I honestly can't fathom how the programmers pulled this off...except for spending a ton of time writing elaborate conditionals. The plot is also extremely interesting. On my first playthrough, I was utterly shocked at some of the stuff that happened--which is quite rare for me. The few complaints I have (hence the 9 rating, and not 10) is that unless you get the right underworld contacts, you won't be able to upgrade your gear the way you like--and this isn't entirely apparent during play. Also, the aiming/stability mechanics take some getting used to. In the beginning, you'll have a hard time hitting things (i.e. wasting a lot of your limited ammo--which you'll then have to buy more of for later missions). This does get better, though, as you level-up the weapon skills that you use most. I strongly recommend only specializing in two weapons (since this is how many you can carry at once), and putting no points, at all, into the ones you don't intend to use in every mission. My last gripe is that the learning curve is a little steep (as in, you'll make a lot of mistakes the first time through)--but this probably can't be avoided for a game this deep. Other than these three minor gripes, though, this game is, IMHO, completely perfect. Note: I'm playing the Steam version, as of 3-17-2014, which has no bugs that I can find. The earlier versions, I understand, were pretty buggy. It took me a solid 13 hours of play to complete this game, and it is highly re-playable. Kudos to the developers! Enjoy! Expand
  26. Jun 27, 2015
    Alpha Protocol has Gogo dancers and Sex, Blood lots of satisfying BLOOD nothing made me want to play this game more than a knife to the throat.

Alpha Protocol Is a somewhat buggy kinda gimmicky game but its still has some charm i saw the steam score of 80 (which no way i think it comes close) so i thought it would be pretty impressive but its really nothing close to it lol. Alpha Protocol Feels weird and kinda looks ugly off the bat but after some time it felt great and started to please my eyes. The games gameplay is some of the simplistic yet satisfying in its own way. It reminded me of a metal gear with way less money and for the softcore. The game story kept me going its kinda unique i guess i did enjoy it. I don't know if i would have liked this game if i didn't build my guy assassin i put everything into stealth, pistol and a few points in sabotage and strengths i specialized in stealth, pistol and assault rifle which i regret wish i put it in the CQC but o well you cant go back, all of your decisions are almost finale and it kinda sucks if people want to change there ways let em if they don't want to they wont. why add a strict policy if it doesn't improve the game? o well i lived with it and moved on. I felt that the rectile was the worst i have ever seen and the assault rifle the worse i have ever used! and don't think i would have enjoyed the game other than the first class decisions i made. Its still a FUN game ...

I want to make it clear you can run and gun or you can stealth kill. BUT there are some missions that you are forced to fight and cant complete with stealth only which is disappointing! Replay value is eh never again 4 me.

Just a FYI these are just my opinions. Silent Hightimes
  27. Sep 29, 2013
    As a true gamer, I like to play it always on hard more in my first try for challenge and fun. I think the game could be very enjoyable if I play it on normal. But the hard mode was more than hard or challenging it was like a nightmare mode which means u will die really fast! :O. One small mistake and it's over! On the one hand I like that, it gives more reality. But on the other hand whichAs a true gamer, I like to play it always on hard more in my first try for challenge and fun. I think the game could be very enjoyable if I play it on normal. But the hard mode was more than hard or challenging it was like a nightmare mode which means u will die really fast! :O. One small mistake and it's over! On the one hand I like that, it gives more reality. But on the other hand which killed all my enjoyment in this game is why the heck are the enemies so durable!? They are like zombies lol if you don't shoot him in the head you have no chance! I don't even want to mention the crazy boss-fights XD Why didn't they make another mode for that? Did the devs even play this mode? I completed hard mode but it was a painful play. You have to trick the AI to survive and rely on your skills everytime. Oh yeah did I mention the aiming? You have to focus on your aim like a sniper rifle lol I don't think that a veteran agent needs so long to aim on someone. Well overall it could be a really good game if they make it more user-friendly and the hard mode more easier. Thx for reading Expand
  28. Nov 23, 2012
    This was an odd one- Alpha Protocol was a deeply flawed game on many dimensions. But in others it was a compelling espionage RPG along the lines of Deus Ex.

The game was quite buggy. One of the levels froze on me and wouldn
  29. Dec 11, 2012
    Modern day Mass Effect clone by the clone studio with the worst QA staff in the world, Obsidian. Very linear with typical Bioware-esque "go to three places for three quests and then on-rails for the last mission" game structure. Mostly boring characters... The few interesting characters are either useless (Beck) or are only around for two scenes and then limited to being mentioned inModern day Mass Effect clone by the clone studio with the worst QA staff in the world, Obsidian. Very linear with typical Bioware-esque "go to three places for three quests and then on-rails for the last mission" game structure. Mostly boring characters... The few interesting characters are either useless (Beck) or are only around for two scenes and then limited to being mentioned in convos (Sis). Combat is mostly cover based shooting but gets frustrating from enemies killing you while behind cover ("realistic" cover with bullets going through broken concrete and such). Unreliable weapon damage, for both you and your enemies, results in random encounters which dump you back to the last checkpoint (no quicksaving or save anywhere options, thanks consoles) from an AI SMG spraying you and getting 5 lucky headshots in a row. Besides all the problems with it I was able to have a fun yet overly frustrating time with this Deus Ex-esque modern day spy thriller and recommend picking it up. Expand
  30. Feb 21, 2013
    I got the game at a good price and it really is great entertainment.

Having said that let me explain why I gave it a 6. Just to add some skill system that does not really much affect game play does not make a RPG out of a shooter. Just because you try to find every piece of information lying around does not make it espionage. I believe the point where I was let down with is best
    I got the game at a good price and it really is great entertainment.

Having said that let me explain why I gave it a 6.

I believe the point where I was let down with is best described this way:
    The structure or rather tools that this game consists of, all technical capabilities seem like they had a much grander scale in mind when being developed. You have that complex skill system, different ways your character possibly could solve scenarios (like for example in the first Deus Ex), a relationship system to other people, that possibly could affect game play much more.
    So you have all the things in place that could make an interesting RPG, but then apparently time was running out or whatever the reason was and you cripple the whole game by making a rather linear shooter out of it.

I really enjoyed the story, but I would have rather liked it if either the RPG elements would have been a bit simplified, because really most of them are quite pointless giving the linearity and have not much effect within the game...
    or it could have been a bit more of an open and generic world and missions designed so that you could have solved them different ways, so that all of the RPG elements would have made sense.
    Oh and some espionage elements like decrypting messages and such would have been fun.

Great shooter as it is, enjoyable story, but too tiresome and meaningless skill and item system.
    If you can get it for 2.5$ then go for it. Even at 5$ its definitely worth the money

1. From the beginning of the game, till the ending, I was relatively pleased with how important and impactful the decisions I made were.
  2. PC PowerPlay
    Mediocre gameplay hides an enjoyable RPG with moments of genius. But it could have been so much more. [Aug 2010, p.56]
  3. PC Zone UK
    That exhilarating core deserves more than the pretty rancid crust that tops it. [Aug 2010, p.76]