American McGee's Alice PC

8.2

1. Jun 5, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Considering my past experience with the first game I was surprised when it had gotten praise. At least I did wonder that until I figured out that it was originally released for the PC. In that case than it would be safe to assume that the PS3 port was badly optimized. The story line is a loose sequel to the original novel by Louis Carol . Alice has gone insane and the main goal of the game is to restore her fragile mind. The main premise alone had potential to be an intriguing game but the story and game play are as loose as the titular heroine's mind. Aside from the opening and closing cutscenes the story is only there just to give context to the game play. Voice acting is pretty flat with the exception of the Red Queen and the characters are visually interesting but they are barely given much depth. The appeal of Wonderland's inhabitants have always been appealing due to the fact that they are a visual representation of Victorian London- Society and Alice's Psyche. It is fairly obvious what each character is a representation in fact what the part they play in Alice's mind is blatantly said to the player like they cannot figure it out themselves. The ending also feels rushed as it shows Alice going straight out of the Asylum as soon as she defeats the Red Queen. Where the game really stumbles is in the game play. I'm unsure what it is like on the PC but on the PS3 the jumping controls feel very stiff. It is hard to describe how many times I have died just because I could not Jump at the right time since Alice likes to jump without bending her knees. It seems like the game is requiring you to take giant leaps of faith even though you are only able of taking little hops. It is admirable that the game gives you a variety of weapons but with the exception of the killer dice they all are unreliable. You will mostly be using your vorpal blade to fight off against the enemies. Said enemies are annoying at best and frustrating at worst especially if they are flying above you since it i hard to see where they are. There are interesting power ups but they are rendered useless since you still take the same amount of damage as you would without those powers. The boss fights range from simplistic to irritating the fights are poorly implemented and tacted on at best. The biggest error for the game play is the camera itself since it is fixed on Alice and you can barely point it t where you want to which leads to so many frustrating deaths. This game had a lot of potential but it needed to be fleshed out more before getting shifted towards release. The gothic atmosphere and the intriguing atmosphere is not enough to clear this game's short comings. Expand
  2. Aug 25, 2015
    Horrible controls (I mean it) and brutal difficulty make this game super annoying to play.
    Also, if you were looking for a pure platformer, you made a wrong choice, as this game is full of action and almost feels like a shooter a lot of times, you even use the mouse to aim and shoot stuff at enemies.
    Nah, cannot recommend this game. Still looks decent but unless you are a fan of

Nah, cannot recommend this game. Still looks decent but unless you are a fan of Alice's world, you will not get any satisfaction from the experience found in this game. Even as far as 3D action adventures go, there are far better choices, such as the first Harry Potter game or even Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, keep in mind that both of those games are not that great either, but still better.
  3. Nov 2, 2014
    A game that has aestethically aged well but thats pretty much all there is to Alice. The games biggest asset is the great amount of detail to the levels, great voices for the most part and probably best a amazing soundtrack here 14 years later.

The games gameplay and core mechanics however feels like something from a bygone era and since its based on the engine for some of the Quake games it feels quite similar aswell in both its explosions and jagged level design.

The problem with this game is 2 of the most important aspects:

1. The combat is absolutely atrocious, after about 5-7 of the areas most of the combat you are pretty much underpowered in battle for the rest of the game even on Normal which i played it through with. Your weapons and quick switch system simply doesnt work well with the enemies movement patterns and amount of health. 95% of the time you will find yourself constantly charging up weapons or readying the preferred one ready before entering a area filled with enemies. having to constantly wait for your throwable knife to spawn which is the only weapon in the game that doesnt use your blue "mana" bar turns the combat into a complete chore where you will throw it once and then retreat so you can get it again after a while, and with most enemies requiring about 4-5 hits with the throwable blade it makes even the mundane 1on1 enemy battle a 1-1½ minute borefest since all your mana weapons deplete way too quick pretty much after 1-2 enemies max. Going into combat with more than 1 enemy around is also ppretty much suicide with the weaker weapons as the later enemies can manage to not only deal alot of damage but push you off the many ledges the level design consists of with their blasts. Theres about 5 boss battles in the game and all of em feel trivial where you just spin around the level and keep your distance to them while using your weapons.

2. The Jumping/Platform mechanics. This game has alot of platforming besides combat, sadly i would have preferred more weight on puzzles while there are some they all feel shallow and easy. The platforming however in this game is even worse than the combat, simly due to outdated sluggish movements that can be best described as the jumping in the old early Tomb Raider games. The game has alot of narrow ledges and alot of em are shaped in triangles which makes it frustrating to navigate your jumps perfectly and often throws you into pits, combine this with some of the later enemies that can make you bounce around from their hits and you got yourself a really annoying platformer thats reminiscent from the early 3D/platformer attempts of the 32-bit/PSX(1) era.

Overall the game has a good atmosphere that holds up pretty well even in 2014 but its a game thats best left as a relic nowadays, i cant recommend it due to the poor gameplay mechanics simply outweighing the other parts like the great music. The game simply feels like a chore and dull to play, it might have been a amazing experience playing it on the release but its hard to see what alot of people were thinking considering how bad the core gameplay is like. I was hoping this was a PC gem i had missed out on, i tried it a level or 2 about 5-6 years back and enjoyed it, and the feeling was similar on my playthrough this time but as soon as youve made a couple levels into it it starts to detoriate very quickly with non developing simple gameplay and a story told in small amounts of dialogue every now and then without and good build up like you see in more modern games nowadays.

Rating: 5.0 /10
  4. Jun 23, 2014
    I've gotten this game as an "add-on" in Alice: Madness Returns, as its original format is rare and expensive. First of all, Madness Returns is a better game than American McGee's Alice. I give Alice a 8/10 rating, for its nice graphics and storyline, but poor and hard gameplay.
  5. Jun 10, 2014
    Una vuelta de tuerca al libro de Alicia en el País de las Maravillas y A través del Espejo. A nivel narrativo muy interesante pero ha envejecido bastante mal, pero una buena referencia para narratología.
  6. Mar 31, 2013
    Although by today's standards, this games graphics would be considered VERY dated, I remember playing this game as a child. It takes a classic children's story and warps it in such a way, that is both disturbing and interesting. The combat is still simple and easy to use, and there is a large variety in weapons. A feature that is often lacking in many of today's games. If you haven'tAlthough by today's standards, this games graphics would be considered VERY dated, I remember playing this game as a child. It takes a classic children's story and warps it in such a way, that is both disturbing and interesting. The combat is still simple and easy to use, and there is a large variety in weapons. A feature that is often lacking in many of today's games. If you haven't played American McGee's Alice, I highly suggest that you do. It is definitely a memorable and worthwhile game. Expand
  7. Nov 22, 2012
    One of the best presented action games there is, Alice creates a dark and gritty world with beautiful level design and an intense gaming experience. It creates a lot of mood and every level feels different with the story picking up pace and the final confrontation looming on the horizon. Outstanding in its diversity of levels and well executed elements (design of weapons; variation inOne of the best presented action games there is, Alice creates a dark and gritty world with beautiful level design and an intense gaming experience. It creates a lot of mood and every level feels different with the story picking up pace and the final confrontation looming on the horizon. Outstanding in its diversity of levels and well executed elements (design of weapons; variation in enemies according to the respective level), this is a must-have title for actions fans (that also like some elements of horror) as it is really different from most competitors in the genre. Expand
  8. May 11, 2012
    First off I played this on the Xbox 360. It was included as a freebie when you bought the sequel. Anyways I never gave this game a chance in the last 10 years- I always saw the cover and American McGee and thought, "meh", (I didnt know American McGee was a real person let alone a man.

Anyways, after the wait Im glad I played it. Its an excellent platformer thats a ton of fun to play. Interesting, dark story and characters, cool weapons and cool bosses round the list. Only issues I had are with the camera now and again but not a big deal. Im now a huge fan of the series and started playing the sequel and looking for merchandise.
  9. Jul 13, 2011
    American McGee's Alice is a nice morbid trip to wonderland. Well the nice portion can be debated a bit. While the game because a cult classic for story and music it's has some serious flaws. First the good, the voices are excellent even after 11 years have passed. The music also has the same superb quality despite being made from Fisher Price toys for the most part. For a game made in 2000American McGee's Alice is a nice morbid trip to wonderland. Well the nice portion can be debated a bit. While the game because a cult classic for story and music it's has some serious flaws. First the good, the voices are excellent even after 11 years have passed. The music also has the same superb quality despite being made from Fisher Price toys for the most part. For a game made in 2000 the levels have a great deal of detail sadly the same cannot be said for the rest of the game. While the game is part platforming the jumping is a bit awkward which makes some of the later stages outright brutal. Next problem is the weapons, while there all neat and wonderland related you have too many of them. For the most part once you get the Ice Rod you will never use anything else ever (With the exception of the Jacks and few others but only for the last three bosses), at least not for combat. Once you get a new weapon the old one get replaced instantly because it's no longer useful and switching between them can be a pain when you need to deal with the flying enemies early on. And if you get this game you should religiously thank whoever came up with the Auto-Save function because some the later levels would be nearly impossible without it as this game is not friendly towards players. Especially at the end of the game where the card guards all have nuclear weapons for some reason. And then there's the Jabberwock which while not the final boss is the hardest boss in the game and even one Easy difficulty will turn you into Alice-Flambe a few times. And the last flaw is the swimming engine, which does not work for the game at all. The few levels where you have to swim are difficult because of the failed swimming engine. And there's a rather special level of nothing but along with endless stream of Alice-eating fish. And since you can't swim very fast and will often get stuck on nothing you might as well rename yourself Fish Food for the duration of the level. Not to mention trying to use the knife underwater is about as effective as trying to use a marsh-mellow to fly into space. Though despite all the horrible things I said about the game stick with it and you'll be rewarding with a journey of remarkable (and slightly eerie) visions. And now that it comes with Alice:Madness Returns you can play it without shelling out 100$ bucks on E-bay. Expand
  10. Jul 5, 2011
    I wish i still had a handle on this game anyway i have played it many times back in the day and i have to say the atmosphere in this game is psychedelically intense like a bad acid trip. Fun gameplay my only complaint is the story left out some important characters from what i remember the walrus and the carpenter, all in all i wish i still had this game on my shelf.
  11. Jun 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "While you'll undoubtedly enjoy the imaginative artwork, you might end up disappointed with just how straightforward the underlying game really is."

Dunno who made that review but I certainly enjoyed every bit of the game. The music was awesome, the story just blowed me away, and the so-called "unbalanced" weapons adds to the thrill (i mean taking on your first set of boojums with a knife and a deck of cards and triumphantly defeating them...hell yeah they're pain in the ass and they deserve some "PUNISHMENT"...)

I recommend "REAL" gamers to play this game....(if you're a kid who grew up playing DMC or GOW and sees them as a standard of a great game, i suggest you step back a little from this title...)

If you just played the game just to see some flaws in it...maybe just maybe you've missed a whole lot of what it can offer.(clue: you might or not know about it but i think you can kill every boss in this game the "CHEAP" way--haven't tried the jabberwock yet--but holds true for the D*chess(thanks for a certain guys boss wthrough), Twe*dl* Bros, and even the badass final boss herself.....(i discovered that lol))
  12. Alexander
    Nov 27, 2009
    Great art direction, an engaging plot, enthralling voice-acting, enjoyable writing, and good music are what make this game great. Exuding style, American McGee's Alice goes to a place where few games do and makes a strong argument for why games are art. The dark, Gothic Victorian art direction make the game a joy to look at even after the graphics' age shows. The character Great art direction, an engaging plot, enthralling voice-acting, enjoyable writing, and good music are what make this game great. Exuding style, American McGee's Alice goes to a place where few games do and makes a strong argument for why games are art. The dark, Gothic Victorian art direction make the game a joy to look at even after the graphics' age shows. The character design is brilliant, it is clear who every character is from a glance and yet they are twisted in a wonderfully dark way. Cheshire Cat's continual advice in a dark voice is fun to listen to, as is Alice's British accented continual disinterest in the inhabitants of wonderland. Areas are exciting and interesting to look at and examine due to the wide variety of settings and architecture therein. Twisted childlike music is very fitting and the menu theme is a great audio introduction into the game. Unfortunately I hardly noticed it once I got a ways into the game, likely due to my interest being in efficiently collecting what there was to collect and advancing the story. This is due to the lackluster gameplay which is simply average and generally unexciting, especially for the middle portion of the game. The game shines the most in simply exploring the interestingly crafted world as the combat fails to be exciting for the majority of the game. Exploding Jack-in-the-Boxes and Demon Summoning Dice are a couple of the many weapons which are interesting in design but unexciting to use after initially acquiring them. There is also a jarring difficulty spike when Alice is forced to fight the Jabberwock towards the end of the game. American McGee's Alice is a worthwhile experience merely to experience how to properly craft the parts of a game other than gameplay. It leaves you wanting more games with such style and less games with such dull gameplay. Expand
  13. AtlasShrugged
    Feb 22, 2009
    Some truly beautiful level design, an immersive atmosphere and a classic source make this a masterpiece too few have experienced. Though not without its flaws, its brilliance is overpowering.
  14. WilliamH.
    Aug 24, 2008
    A great game with true replayability. What few gliches there are do not interfere with the game play, and the graphics are tremendous. I am particularly fond of the Duchess although beating her is not easy.
  15. grandym.
    Dec 17, 2007
    I sort of think that reveiwers are afraid to give this a good score, because to be honest, its a freakin great game. Even if you dont really like horrer things
  16. ChrisK.
    May 31, 2006
    2006 Folks, and the game's still good. This game is done well artistically based on the influences of both "Alice in Wonderland" and dark atmosphere games. I love Alice and the wickedly design cat. However, the gameplay is repetitive and quite boring next to design. It could have been better, it could have been worst; great music, great dubbing, funny weapons, cool cat, mediocre 2006 Folks, and the game's still good. This game is done well artistically based on the influences of both "Alice in Wonderland" and dark atmosphere games. I love Alice and the wickedly design cat. However, the gameplay is repetitive and quite boring next to design. It could have been better, it could have been worst; great music, great dubbing, funny weapons, cool cat, mediocre gameplay. The beginning intro to the beginning level had me sold. Wish the ending were a bit longer though, like every other game, this would probably lead you to wondering, "What happens next?" I've played for a long time to watch a one minute to two minute ending. The game's still worth the buy if you want to test the dreams of Rogue entertainment. Expand
  17. ShawnH.
    Nov 21, 2005
    Beautiful artwork, bright colorful levels and strange quirky music make this a great game. There is a good variety of weapons that I have not seen in other games. For example, one weapon you can use are jumping jacks that continuallly bounce and strike your enemy rapidly. My favorite is the jack in the box, which can be used as a grenade or as a stationary/rotating flamethrower. As far as Beautiful artwork, bright colorful levels and strange quirky music make this a great game. There is a good variety of weapons that I have not seen in other games. For example, one weapon you can use are jumping jacks that continuallly bounce and strike your enemy rapidly. My favorite is the jack in the box, which can be used as a grenade or as a stationary/rotating flamethrower. As far as Chrissie's comment that you need a walkthrough, maybe she should stick with solitaire. This is a straight forward run and gun, with some interesting level design and effects. Some of the boss characters required quite a bit of playtime to figure out their weakness, but once I did, they were relatively easy to beat. My biggest gripe is the lame ending. It was a big letdown to invest all this time and be rewarded with a grainy, CG video with no explanation and no cinematic flair. Its as if the programmers were rushing to get the game out the door and threw the ending together in 30 minutes. Otherwise, a very fun gaming experience. Expand
  18. TG
    May 11, 2005
    Still looks fresh today. atmospheric levels and great weapons.
  19. A'akieraM.
    Sep 25, 2004
    Alice is beautiful the girl I mean. The game couldve been more great if they were alot more levels. Her weapons are awesome. I love throwing the dice and killing the demons! :)
  20. DawidvanS.
    Jul 27, 2004
    The best game ever made. People who have a problem with this game go see a shrink it's the best game ever made even four years after release. Half Life sucked not Alice
  21. KevK.
    Oct 23, 2003
    Read the Computer Games Magazie review. It is the most accurate. The game looks good, but sadly the controls are subpar, the weapons aren't that much fun, and the level design gets boring after a while. I would also add in that I thought the sound effects were marginal at best. I can't complain too much since I paid $9.99 for a copy. If you're that curious, pick it up. Just Read the Computer Games Magazie review. It is the most accurate. The game looks good, but sadly the controls are subpar, the weapons aren't that much fun, and the level design gets boring after a while. I would also add in that I thought the sound effects were marginal at best. I can't complain too much since I paid $9.99 for a copy. If you're that curious, pick it up. Just don't expect a masterpiece. Expand
  22. AliakseiK.
    Jan 9, 2003
    AMAZING!!!!
  23. TrystenM.
    Jun 25, 2002
    Diabolically good voice acting, transmogrified toys as weapons, graphics that will temporarily seperate you from the real world. Music, made with the assitance of Chris Vrenna, good choice. Outstanding game, except for a few mishaps, like the card guards occasionaly running off a cliff without falling or the relooping of about one or two sound effects in the game. Nothing drastic, I think Diabolically good voice acting, transmogrified toys as weapons, graphics that will temporarily seperate you from the real world. Music, made with the assitance of Chris Vrenna, good choice. Outstanding game, except for a few mishaps, like the card guards occasionaly running off a cliff without falling or the relooping of about one or two sound effects in the game. Nothing drastic, I think maybe someone slipped crack into the designer's hash pipe at those times. Oh, and if you need to cheat to beat this game, just a little reminder that sunshine acid can greatly impede your ability to play. Lovely fun this game is. Expand
  24. GameR.
    Apr 7, 2002
    Great characters! Graphics that rock! The game is adictive and chalanging but would be greatly improved if Alice had to explore the land more to discover whice direction to go. Always having your player on the correct path gets tedious.
  25. ChrissieM.
    Nov 5, 2001
    The game has a wonderful story and graphics...but it is almost impossible to get through it without cheating.
  26. AlexandriaH.
    Jul 23, 2001
    This game is one of the best games I have ever played. It is wonderful, it puts a perfect morbid twist on the original story, also it somewhat stays true to the book, I really liked that about it.
  27. May 11, 2012

1. The action falls short of amazing because certain elements, such as the poor A.I., do not hold up their end of the bargain, but Alice is still a fascinating trip that is well worth the tumble down the rabbit hole.
  2. What really impressed me about Alice's visuals is the imaginativeness of the designers, and the highly thematic environments, which completely differ from one level to another and are brought to life with some crisp and detailed textures.
  3. The levels, the characters - everything about this game is beautiful. The levels are easily the prettiest and most creative I have ever seen, each one designed in its own unique style. You couldn't get a better result if you threw Tim Burton or Clive Barker into the mix.