5.8

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Puzles are kind of easy and guided but the atmosphere, the storytelling, the voice-acting, the enhanced level desing... It is just great.

Don't be dumbass complaining because there's no oil or tinderboxes, cause you didn't clearly play the game; Now when you are in full darkness you can't see anything, not even turning your gamma up a bit. So, if you face a monster you have 2 options: Turning on the lamp and let him see you or turning it off and don't see anything. This makes a lot of tension.

In any case, it is not like the first Amnesia, they changed a lot of stuff here and there, and if you are an Amnesia fan I think you'll enjoy it. Will you like it more than the first one? I don't know, but I think is totally worth the price.

Edited: I have already beaten the game and I must say that I liked The Dark Descent more than this one.
    A machine for pigs tried to be different, simplifying gameplay and trying to be more straight-forward.
    The game is, indeed, more linear. You don't need to look for tinderboxes, oil or laudanum so making more rooms would have been pretty much an aesthetic thing.
    Setting is great and I like the new artistic design, and the sound is still great.
    It lasts about 4-5 hours, but I hope there will be mod support.
    If you are an amnesia fan you will probably like it, but just don't wait another TDD, because you won't find it.
  2. Sep 10, 2013
    I am enjoying this game fairly well. So far, a nice dark atmosphere with chilling random events in the background. (Typical Amnesia) I only have three problems with this game that don't quite put it at the same level as "The Dark Descent" The game has many locked doors which takes away the adventure aspect. You can't pick up small objects and randomly throw them. There also is not anI am enjoying this game fairly well. So far, a nice dark atmosphere with chilling random events in the background. (Typical Amnesia) I only have three problems with this game that don't quite put it at the same level as "The Dark Descent" The game has many locked doors which takes away the adventure aspect. You can't pick up small objects and randomly throw them. There also is not an insanity meter. Even in these negatives, the story line is phenomenal so far. It makes me want to dive deeper and deeper. So far, in the first hour of game play, this is a really enjoyable sequel to "The Dark Descent" Expand
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is definitely not the same game as The Dark Descent. It's quite different. It's got fewer jump scares and it's not as splatter-horror-y as some fans might have wished. But boy, that overwhelming, thick sense of dread that comes with every step down into the unholy machine. Not to mention the brillant soundtrack by Jessica Curry (do yourselves a favour and buyAmnesia: A Machine for Pigs is definitely not the same game as The Dark Descent. It's quite different. It's got fewer jump scares and it's not as splatter-horror-y as some fans might have wished. But boy, that overwhelming, thick sense of dread that comes with every step down into the unholy machine. Not to mention the brillant soundtrack by Jessica Curry (do yourselves a favour and buy it) and the brillant writing by Dan Pinchbeck. I guess it takes a bit of effort to actually get involved into the story (similar to Dear Esther) but you'll probably get one of the most literary experiences in video games to date. Expand
  4. Sep 27, 2013
    I like to think of the Amnesia games as an Anthology, each will be quite different (If they make more). A Machine for Pigs is by far very different from the Dark Descent. I rate this game so highly because of the way it plays out. Yes there were some game mechanics that I did not understand. However they're not important. I think most people didn't like this game because it is a differentI like to think of the Amnesia games as an Anthology, each will be quite different (If they make more). A Machine for Pigs is by far very different from the Dark Descent. I rate this game so highly because of the way it plays out. Yes there were some game mechanics that I did not understand. However they're not important. I think most people didn't like this game because it is a different kind of horror. The story is very hard to pick up if you are not careful to detail and if you don't read the notes. This game wants you to try and understand what's going on, it isn't a game for people who want to run through and get a bunch of jump scares (Which is what the general non-horror game loving public thinks modern horror games are all about...Slender is over with people not every game is going to be a Boo! and Run! game!!) I think the graphics were amazing, however I had issues with crashing but fixed it with a little computer knowledge. Apparently Frictional doesn't like Intel graphics cards. I thought it had great atmosphere and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE MUSIC. I thought about giving this game a 9/10 since I enjoyed The Dark Descent a hair more (probably because The Dark Descent was way more disturbing) but this game deserves a higher score so I'm giving it a 10/10 because it really is a good sequel to a series that brings a lot to the table! Expand
  5. Nov 3, 2014
    I'd like to preface this by saying I didn't go into playing this game expecting the same gameplay and mechanics as The Dark Descent. I figured it would be more about telling a story than interacting with a creepy environment. Don't get me wrong, the environment in A Machine for Pigs is definitely creepy, and there are puzzles, but I just think where The Dark Descent did well with gameplay,I'd like to preface this by saying I didn't go into playing this game expecting the same gameplay and mechanics as The Dark Descent. I figured it would be more about telling a story than interacting with a creepy environment. Don't get me wrong, the environment in A Machine for Pigs is definitely creepy, and there are puzzles, but I just think where The Dark Descent did well with gameplay, this addition to the series did very well with telling a gruesome story. I do recommend you give it a playthrough. Expand
  6. Sep 20, 2013
    Part of the problem with most horror game reviews are simply they are rushed through just to get the review finished with. Put on your headphones, isolate yourself from other people, turn off all of the lights, and play A Machine for Pigs. After playing this game in that kind of isolation, as it should be played, (who would want to watch a horror movie or play a horror game in broadPart of the problem with most horror game reviews are simply they are rushed through just to get the review finished with. Put on your headphones, isolate yourself from other people, turn off all of the lights, and play A Machine for Pigs. After playing this game in that kind of isolation, as it should be played, (who would want to watch a horror movie or play a horror game in broad daylight anyways?) what I got from this game was a constant feeling of dreadful anxiety.

A Machine for Pigs is different in the sense of mechanics from The Dark Descent, but it terrified me more than the original title. The sequel takes a step further in atmospheric horror, giving you a horrible dread throughout the entire game. This is where it improves from the original. The previous Amnesia had its pockets where you felt like you overcame a situation and had an opportunity to breathe and relax for a bit. In A Machine for Pigs, you are constantly under an awfully frightening Victorian inspired atmosphere. The writing is incredibly dark and twisted, and the level design is superb. Plummeting further into the dreadful machine had me yelling out loud and screaming; the eerie machinery and loud noises is something that will always be a terrifying mechanism to use, which brings me to my next point, the music.

The music and general sound in this game is by far the best out of anything that I have heard out of a horror themed creation period. A large portion of the game I spent yelling for the loud, sudden noises to stop, in which most cases they did not. This is scary as hell, and so is this game's suddenly deathly quietness in some cases, where the sound of pressure is filled inside your head, making it feel like you can't breathe.

In conclusion, anyone who wants something to stay absolutely the same is not going to be happy. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is a game that changes from its predecessor and actually works and improves on the original. Sure there there are no tinderboxes, no sanity, and no lantern oil, but it is a more story driven horror title. A Machine for Pigs shows that copying and pasting game mechanics from its previous title is not needed to be an even scarier game.

This game took me just under six hours to beat with myself taking my time and immersing myself completely, which is a good amount of gameplay for a $20 game. Yes, this is a different experience, and in my opinion, a much more frightening one.
  7. Feb 16, 2014
    On of the best games I have played, Other reviews are saying that they played the first 30 minutes and quit, to fully get the game you have to play through it, it gets so much scarier. In my eyes you have to fully play a game to review it
  8. Sep 29, 2013
    Approach this not as a game but as a novella, or any other literary form, and you'll be very pleasantly surprised. It's not a better game than the original, but it's a better everything else.

A slightly snotty warning: If you have no idea who Ambrose Bierce was, or his contemporaries, maybe go buy the new GTA, instead.
  9. Sep 17, 2013
    Storyline: AMFP's story is morbidly excellent just like its predecessor. Not your typical horror story.

Quality/Appearance: For those who played Dark Descent, it's pretty obvious for us that it improved. And for those who haven't, it's roughly good. Although, I have observed some recycled skins and objects while playing so I'll just assume that somebody got lazy. Music/Sounds: What I

Music/Sounds: What I loved about this game is the BGM. Especially the drama-enhancing opera BGM that plays on certain scenes. Shivers are sure to be sent down thy spines while thou art listening. Don't know what I'm talking about? Play the game.

Gameplay: Now this is where AMFP fell behind. I have seen a lot of angry questions thrown at the game, and I would like to analyze and comment on each of those questions that i saw.

1.) WHERE THE HELL IS THE SANITY METER?
    - I too asked this myself. Why would they remove the sanity meter? Is our protagonist just too uber-manly to be scared? Or is it because parental love overshadow fear? I would like to believe with the latter idea. However, it is a bad move for AMFP to remove this game mechanic because it was the one that was actually inducing fear to the players. It was the one who was ordering the players to be scared.

2.) WHERE THE HELL IS MY INVENTORY?
    - I kept on pressing tab until I realized that it was all for naught. Apparently, our protagonist doesn't like to carry anything at all. Unlike Daniel (Dark Descent), our protagonist for AMFP can't lift non-important things such as vases, jars, hammers, etc. This one wasn't exactly the case because there are still instances when you're required to put this there and combine this with that. But if I was the one who was scouring a dark and blood-spattered hallway? I would like to hold on to something just in case I need to throw something on something. Something-ception.

3.) WHY CAN'T I HOLD ANYTHING?
    -See number 2. tl;dr? Daniel lifts and this one doesn't.

4.) WHY IS MY LANTERN NOT RUNNING OUT OF OIL?!
    - One word. Batteries. LOLjk. This took out the challenge though. It took out the "you-are-surviving-so-you-should-save-supplies-so-you-could-die-another-day" idea.

5.) WHERE ARE THE TINDERBOXES AND LAUDANUM?
    - Yes! You can't light candles and chandeliers anymore. Yes! You don't need a drugged herbal elixir to cure your injuries anymore. Apparently, you got Wolverine's regeneration ability and you're injuries just close up in just a matter of seconds. And who needs candles when you got a battery-powered lantern?

Horror Factors: Expect jumpscares, panic-inducing moments, and of course, the dark and gruesome surroundings.

Conclusion: Although AMFP lacked challenge, its story was well-written and it can still give you nightmares. However, Amnesia: The Dark Descent was hands down, better.

Final Score: 8/10
  10. Sep 23, 2013
    I remember monotonous pipes, pigs, mind-numbingly boring puzzles, Bioshock, pigmen, surreal, nasty, visceral writing, blood, the church, a vague ending.
  11. Sep 25, 2013
    Amnesia Machine For Pigs will move you. Don't expect a re-harsh of Dark Descent. This might as well be its own game. Very compelling, beautifully crafted, and scary as hell. Buy this one if you are truly ready to move to the next level of story telling and game play. A must to experience....Here piggy piggy...
  12. Oct 2, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs has proven to be quite a scary horror game. The environment, and the quality of the sounds, and stories invokes a feeling of dread on the player, the game itself has plenty of jumps, and scares despite what a lot of people have been saying. The game itself has some minor graphic improvements, however they also aimed to expand this game to people with lower-endAmnesia: A Machine for Pigs has proven to be quite a scary horror game. The environment, and the quality of the sounds, and stories invokes a feeling of dread on the player, the game itself has plenty of jumps, and scares despite what a lot of people have been saying. The game itself has some minor graphic improvements, however they also aimed to expand this game to people with lower-end computers, removing the physics attributes for a lot of unimportant in game scenery. All in all, I would highly recommend this game to anyone. Expand
  13. Sep 15, 2014
    Do you want a trully unique horror experience? Then grab this game, because the horror in there is not based on simple jump-scares, but rather on terrifying story! The story presented in this game is a true masterpiece, bautifuly voice-acted with awesome soundtrack. Atmosphere is dark and disturbing. Just play it in night with a candle and you will see :)
  14. Sep 11, 2013
    Yes, I played the original. Yes this is just as good. Where gameplay has been simplified, improved story telling has taken its place. Where jump scares have decreased, improved atmosphere and dread has taken its place.

It is not another Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

It is instead Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.

And thank you, The Chinese Room and Frictional, for that.
  15. Sep 15, 2013
    What to say about Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs... It is definable not like a dark descent, but it is much, much deeper in story. If you are someone who flew through a dark descent with out reading anything then I am certain this game is not for you! But if you did read and enjoyed the story in a dark descent, You will most likely enjoy Machine for pigs. It has a wonderful deep story butWhat to say about Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs... It is definable not like a dark descent, but it is much, much deeper in story. If you are someone who flew through a dark descent with out reading anything then I am certain this game is not for you! But if you did read and enjoyed the story in a dark descent, You will most likely enjoy Machine for pigs. It has a wonderful deep story but lacks in the strong horror elements that made a dark descent so great. I'm not gonna call this a spoiler because it is so obvious, in the game their are pigs, as someone who has had pigs and had pigs slaughtered made this game particularly not frightening. But, the story was so good that I enjoyed it anyways.

For pure horror: skip it
    For a great interactive story experience: play it
  16. Sep 12, 2013
    This is one of the most unique games ever created. Bold, daring and ambitious, although it has some debatable setbacks, it's essence is something you do not see in a video game. It is created and crafted with love, which is witnessed in the attention of the slightest details, every little bit of this game tells a story, shows us a full-blooded world. The only thing I wish was dread momentsThis is one of the most unique games ever created. Bold, daring and ambitious, although it has some debatable setbacks, it's essence is something you do not see in a video game. It is created and crafted with love, which is witnessed in the attention of the slightest details, every little bit of this game tells a story, shows us a full-blooded world. The only thing I wish was dread moments which were present in first Amnesia and Penumbra, which this game desperately needed. If that was included with some more polish with basic gameplay mechanics, and maybe some plot-point alterations, this would have been a perfect game.
    Don't take notice of the consistent whining about lack of inventory, sanity system or puzzles; This game offers much more than those trivialities.
  17. Sep 10, 2013
    More Dear Esther than Amnesia... not for everyone's tastes, slow paced and atmospheric with great reliance on written story (notes, journal etc...). Some will love it, others will hate it but most of all... you will never know by reading a review... It's just not the type of game that even the most objective review would be worth taking for granted. I love it, it's a work of art... andMore Dear Esther than Amnesia... not for everyone's tastes, slow paced and atmospheric with great reliance on written story (notes, journal etc...). Some will love it, others will hate it but most of all... you will never know by reading a review... It's just not the type of game that even the most objective review would be worth taking for granted. I love it, it's a work of art... and I'll rate it accordingly Expand
  18. Sep 24, 2013
    The beggining of game is really and i was though that this game became a real piece of but then when i started to hear those wonderful soundtracks and interesting storyline, i changed my mind. Bassicilly i would give 7,5 but to rise a bit the score i give 10.
  19. Sep 19, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is not quite as consistently scary or viscerally disturbing as it's predecessor (Amnesia: The Dark Descent), but it's a more of a poignant story overall this time around in terms of how well it delivers its themes (industry, greed, control, power, technology... and how they affect society, etc.), and also has more than a few cryptic helpings of surreal allegoryAmnesia: A Machine for Pigs is not quite as consistently scary or viscerally disturbing as it's predecessor (Amnesia: The Dark Descent), but it's a more of a poignant story overall this time around in terms of how well it delivers its themes (industry, greed, control, power, technology... and how they affect society, etc.), and also has more than a few cryptic helpings of surreal allegory that will have you asking "What the hell does that REALLY mean?"

However, A Machine for Pigs is a linear game overall and has less interaction than your average console game (when you aren't reading cryptic journal entries, you'll spend the remaining 80% of your in-game time turning valves, walking, occasionally running in terror, and turning your lamp on or off). The well-crafted story is essentially the sole focus of the game, but the accompanying art gives you a solid sense of the late 1800's Victorian setting (set a year before the turn of the century), though it's comparatively less evocative than the Gothic castle setting of the first Amnesia game; the grimy streets of London and its steam-pipe laden industrial underbelly ultimately become a repetetive, indistinct mash-up of dark brown bricks, pipes, mud, sewage, and blackened gore by the game's finale.

Overall, its more of semi-interactive version take on classic horror novels than a game. But a story is a story, and this one is a great one... so, unless you're a stickler for purity and would rather simultaneously play Call of Duty, visit an art gallery, and listen to classical music on and iPod while reading H.P. Lovecraft, A Machine for Pigs is the best (and most efficient) choice for anyone who craves depthy and intelligent narrative and/or horror, but can't go without the illusion of free will that only a video game (or the machine that runs it?) can provide.

7.8/10
  20. Sep 16, 2013
    The terror in Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs comes not from the jump scares of an unseen water monster or the fright of a new Manpig sprinting at you but rather from the horrifying well-written story, notes, and journals that you find along the way. The jumps are still there, but they are less frequent which is actually a bit more scary, it makes you think you're safe. The new creatures areThe terror in Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs comes not from the jump scares of an unseen water monster or the fright of a new Manpig sprinting at you but rather from the horrifying well-written story, notes, and journals that you find along the way. The jumps are still there, but they are less frequent which is actually a bit more scary, it makes you think you're safe. The new creatures are splendid and the layout is still just as much of a labyrinth, but the storyline drives this game. Curry's soundtrack is phenomenal and the use of unseen children's voices adds a level of under-your-skin creepiness. Expand
  21. Sep 15, 2013
    "Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs" is the sequel to" Amnesia: The Dark Descent", but doesn't really feel like that. The graphics and the atmosphere are definetly awesome, but the gameplay is heavily reduced.

The inventory sytem is missing, you don't have to refill the lantern and you can't move as many objects as you could in "The Dark Descent". The monsters in "A Machine For Pigs" are

The monsters in "A Machine For Pigs" are looking scarier than the monsters in "The Dark Descent", but don't really seem to be a real threat to me, mainly because the chasing noise doesn't appear anymore.

The puzzles aren't as challenging as the ones in "The Dark Descent", which isn't exactly a bad thing, because you don't use so much time on finding and combining stuff anymore.

"A Machine For Pigs" is a bit short, but I felt satisfied in the end. The story confused me and I still don't really know what was going on, but I didn't have the feeling I had after games like "Outlast" where the ending was just bad to me.

"A Machine For Pigs" is definetly a good game, but the fact that it is the sequel to one of the scariest games ever created makes it seem a bit bad. If you would take the "Amnesia" out of the name and would just call it "A Machine For Pigs" it would seem way better because one doesn't compare it to "The Dark Descent" anymore.
  22. Sep 19, 2013
    Sadly this game is not Amnesia anymore.
    While having more detailed and complete storyline than original title and truly great story development (here we can thank chineeseroom, I guess), the game lacks one crucial point. Fear.
    Sadly this game is not Amnesia anymore.

Getting rid of all UI is a good solution, but hey, the game is scary for only 1/3 of the time. You can walk in the dark freely as though it's you, who is the monster. Meeting monsters doesn't drive you mad and you can actually get hit by one and run away from it. Should I also point to the fact that pigs have great smell sense and will definitely smell you hiding behind crates?

After reading interview with Amnesia creator I was waiting for more "fear development", and in some parts it was very good indeed. Low frequency sounds, flickering lights, strange growls. But the second half of the game is just "run and click some buttons", so I guess they were just in a hurry to release the game. Of course I have read all the notes and documents in game, but I still have this bitter feeling of being fooled by the title.

Anyway, the story has made me think a lot and I still think it is a good game. But good like Dear Esther, not Amnesia.
  23. Sep 16, 2013
    Simply put, this is the exact median between Dear Esther and The Dark Decent. I went into this game expecting a campy storyline with some great scares, but what I got instead was the most unsettling game I have ever played. Surprisingly enough, for how amazing of a plot this game has (as pretentiously metaphorical it can be sometimes), there's very few plot holes and the level design isSimply put, this is the exact median between Dear Esther and The Dark Decent. I went into this game expecting a campy storyline with some great scares, but what I got instead was the most unsettling game I have ever played. Surprisingly enough, for how amazing of a plot this game has (as pretentiously metaphorical it can be sometimes), there's very few plot holes and the level design is near perfect despite it being so incredibly linear. I have no problem with that, as I know that linear gameplay is the best way to tell a story. The writing is great, the voice acting is top notch (despite some cheap sound effects), and the atmosphere is PERFECT. The graphics are also fantastic despite having indie origins. The plot lays out like Bioshock, which also means it has pacing issues. Also, the inconsistency of the enemy encounters is noticeably annoying, but the encounters it does have are BLISTERINGLY intense. Way more frightening than anything in the first game. Expand
  24. Sep 10, 2013
    This is an amazing game, great storyline the graphics are awesome. If you played the original Amnesia you won't be upset with playing this game. So many hateful comments towards this game.
  25. Sep 17, 2013
    A little lackluster considering its great predecessor. The graphic quality has not advanced, and the game follows the same formula of the previous Amnesia, but unfortunately, it's not as scary. Still pretty horrifying when compared with any other survival horror. Its low price makes it a good deal.
  26. Sep 19, 2013
    As well as the first one, this game surprised me with a deep and beautiful plot about a man, struggling to undo his evil. I passed this game on one breath while the first game took me a week or two. But the gameplay is not shorter. The scares become less intense and overall the gameplay became easier, which is a good thing I guess, since scaring you is the second objective of this game.As well as the first one, this game surprised me with a deep and beautiful plot about a man, struggling to undo his evil. I passed this game on one breath while the first game took me a week or two. But the gameplay is not shorter. The scares become less intense and overall the gameplay became easier, which is a good thing I guess, since scaring you is the second objective of this game. The plot is heavy and not always easy to accept but if you play the first game you will get an idea why is it this way. Personally I found this game to be one of the best horror games. A fair amount of jumpscares, a fair amount of creepy content and a tension from the beginning and till the end. I must comment the sound, as it is the games bread and butter. I was terrified every time hearing a monster eating something behind the corner. And this narration is a gem of modern gaming.
    If this series will ever continue, I would play every game to come only because these two have taken a place in my heart. I recommend this game to every person that seeks a game, that tells you a story, rather than attacks from the corner to dismember you and makes you walk on human flesh.
    And to all those, who think this game is worse that the first one or even any game available today, play "Dear Esther" to understand the concept, not "Outlast". Amnesia has its scary parts, but it does not kill you every time you encounter an enemy. Good or bad, this is what the game is so don't get fooled by the glory of the first game. You will enjoy if you want to enjoy a story.
  27. Oct 25, 2013
    Amnesia a machine for pigs... This game has been developed by the Chinese room. This company is very different than frictional games which makes you wonder why they passed on such a high reputation game to them. Maybe it was because frictional games wasn't a known company before amnesia and felt that the chinese room had something special to offer and they trusted them being in theirAmnesia a machine for pigs... This game has been developed by the Chinese room. This company is very different than frictional games which makes you wonder why they passed on such a high reputation game to them. Maybe it was because frictional games wasn't a known company before amnesia and felt that the chinese room had something special to offer and they trusted them being in their position once. Or maybe, it was because after taking a look at Dear Esther, they knew the Chinese room had something more to offer, something different. And that is exactly what they put on the table. Amnesia The dark descent was a game everyone will remember as the game where they their pants and screamed like a little girl." and you can't deny that you probably did too. The story for Dark Descent was interesting, especially near the end of the game. What I love about A machine for pigs is it was completely different than its predecessor. I was worried that I would be playing an amnesia game that was completely similar to the first because the fear factor just wouldn't be there and if it was, it would not be the same. What the Chinese room did was they brought forth what I believe to be the most important parts of the horror genre; the story and atmosphere. Voice acting, soundtrack, environmental design and plot were things that were improved upon by a great amount. If you were to ask me about horror movies I would respond by saying I am tired of the slashing, the blood and basically the GUTS of what make up scary movies today. I want a story that will be able to grasp me and pull me into the madness it creates deep down (with a few pretty darn crazy scares along the way too!) And that is why I enjoy this game so much. You have every part of a disturbing and very successful horror story tied together with plausible monster creations and thrilling scares. Expand
  28. Feb 2, 2014
    A lot of people told me that this game is no Amnesia anymore, and they were right. It's much better! This game fascinates me in so many different ways. Soundtrack, atmosphere and gameplay are just amazing and it had the most powerful story I've ever encountered! Everybody should give it a try and I promise that you'll have the time of your life.
  29. Sep 10, 2013
    If you're willing to accept the fact that not everything is the same as TDD, then this game will suck you right in and won't let go. Otherwise, you might be disappointed.
  30. Sep 10, 2013
    As a person who hasn't played much horror, I didn't know what to expect. The last few horror games I tried many years ago bored me before ever giving me a scare. I would say this game is fun just based on the story and atmosphere it sets it has scared me a few times in the first hour I've played. 1 of the scares got me really good. Now I must try Outlast.
  31. Sep 10, 2013
    One has to acknowledge that this game was produced by a different studio with only Frictional Games finishing the game off (tweaks, polish etc) so of course there is going to be a lot of differences. Just because it has the same name doesn't mean you have to then expect it to play exactly the same.

I like the new direction myself as I feel it is more realistic (No lantern in the world uses up all its oil in a space of a few minutes) and why should the dark make you go insane exactly (the noises and breathing are enough)? It just makes more sense to get rid of those game fillers and to concentrate more on the journey through this world without having to fumble about searching for some more oil because you are about to run out.

I've played for an hour and if you immerse yourself into this world you can have a lot of fun. Always curious about what is behind the next door, or through a secret passage. I will update as I go, but so far I think it is a solid game that has a lot of good qualities that certainly outweigh the negatives and therefore gets my recommendation! Must be played in the dark with a good pair of headphones!
  32. Sep 10, 2013
    As someone who played Amnesia: TDD, I cannot deny this is a bit of letdown for this series.
    However, atmosphere and sound effects are still strong points of this game. The eerie BGMs always give me the chill, and the dark environment adds up to that.
    Compare it to the predecessor, there are more puzzles instead of gathering them all in a single stage (The Mechanic room of course, I really enjoyed it) but most puzzles are no brainers. Just look around and find something that let the "hand" icon appears, you are good to go.
    Graphics are pretty much like ATDD. Yes it's not very satisfying, but if you are too strict with graphics, can't say you are playing the game for the thrill to the core. You want eye candy? Turn left to Outlast, you are welcome.
    The part that disappoints me the most is that they took away lantern oil and sanity meter. I was amazed by the concept of insanity when I played ATDD, it was brilliant and it played quite an important role, it affected the game play and you had to worry it all the time. Above that, the constant dread that I could not find enough lantern oil and tinderboxes was the part I enjoyed the game most. I had to look into every corner for light sources risking bump into our dear faithful guards of Alexander's. The fear for darkness fights against the fear for monsters, that was the balance I was desperately to maintain and that thrilled me to the deepest. Too bad Amnesia: AMFP set in the time of 1899, lantern oil and tinderboxes' existence is out of logic, but it is a great loss for the game. They took away these features and left hardcore fans almost devastated.
    Put aside all the cons away, AAMFP is still a first person survival horror game. I felt like I was in the story, I was Mandus and had to save my children for god's sake, and I was the one who built that goddamn machine and paying for the consequences. The story was refreshing for me and it might be boring for some. I don't care, the story was much stronger than ATDD, and i have to praise the writer for the good job.
    All in all, people who loved the Amnesia series for its special features might not enjoy this, but if you really love horror game for the way that let fear lingers in your heart, you will love this game.
  33. Sep 10, 2013
    This game isn't even near to amnesia the dark descent...but this is still an great example how to make a horror game. Atmosphere is creepy(of course) and story in this is quite great compared to the dark descent. Only one thing that annoys me is that a machine for pigs is missing a lot of little stuff that made dark descent one of the greatest horror games ever.
  34. LST
    Sep 11, 2013
    I get the feeling that if we were to lose the prefix 'Amnesia' in the title of this game I'd have been reading different reviews altogether. Understandably people were expecting something different (or should I say, 'more of the same') from a franchise that revolutionised the horror genre by landing the player defenceless in a heavily interactive and high-pressure environment.

Here,

Here, there is no oil. No wardrobes to hide in. No boxes to barricade doors...We're a long way away from the hostile darkness of Castle Brennenberg.

Instead we are born into the most grotesque horror story conceived (since Silent Hill 2...) jam-packed with imagery that is sure to linger in your mind... And that's a great achievement. I'd best describe the story as 'A darkly satirical science fiction obsessed with the Uncanny'. Play it. It's a strain of dread I've never before experienced in a horror game. It's what makes A Machine for Pigs unique. And terrifying.

People should acknowledge that 'Amnesia' was trying something different this time. It misses in areas where The Dark Descent scores. It scores where The Dark Descent misses. And it scores high.
  35. Sep 14, 2013
    If you liked the first Amnesia and that is also the reason you bought this game. Then you are in for a weird treat. Because "Amnesia: A machine for pigs" is not like "Amnesia: The Dark Descent".

I experienced this game a lot more different than The Dark Descent. The things that made The dark descent amazing are removed from this game but instead they put in some other great things but to be fair it was not what everyone was waiting for. AAMFP shows a great storytelling and you are completely immersed in the game. In fact, the game is completely based on its storytelling.

At first I was a little bit afraid of the the game because i didn't know what to expect. But further on in the game. it was more excitement I felt instead of fear. It was weird to experience. I also thought the game was a bit short.

Based on the game play, I was a bit disappointed that was because the game was very easy. The enemy A.I was very easy to outrun and there weren't allot puzzles as far as I can tell. And if they actually were puzzles and that puzzles sucked. They also removed the inventory system in the game not that that was very important in the game but I missed the feeling that you didn't have much oil left and you would be very nervous for it to run out and would look for more. I also missed the sanity meter. I didn't (always) feel like my character was terrified. But because of the storytelling i still felt bonded with the character. Also there were some little things that made games from frictional games original was that you can pick up any object. in this game it is limited to some key objects.

I gave this game an 8 because it still is amazing but on the other hand they really had to work on the game play because of its difficulty and a few other things like the inventory. So for short, the story is amazing. but the game play ruins the game for what i actually could have become
  36. Sep 15, 2013
    I found the original Amnesia to have great ideas but to fall flat on its ass with how gamey the inventory and the meters made it feel. Only every now and then were you able to forget its actually a game.

This time around they concentrated on what made Amnesia great. (If you can honestly say playing around with your inventory was what made it good then... I don't know... Diablo or Path of Exile might be more your cup of tea )

Good:
    - Atmosphere
    - Story
    - The horror element Until...

Bad:
    Once they reveal too much of the pig-men. Once you've seen them a bunch they really lose their effectiveness. This is not a monster design flaw IMO. The same thing happens with all monsters once you get a good long look at them. It is a pacing story telling flaw. This is were almost all horror games & movies for that matter fall flat on their arse.
  37. Sep 15, 2013
    After playing AMFP, I was surprised with the negative reviews of the game. Having just finished Outlast which was certainly very scary, AMFP had something else that was more powerful to me: dread.

The jumpy scares were greatly reduced to only a few instances in the game, but the effect was that you never knew what was going to happen. With Outlast, and Amensia: The Dark Descent, I become almost desensitized to the scares because they were so frequent.

In a lot of ways I felt the game was actually very similar to The Dark Descent. They simplified the torch and lantern system without sacrificing the fear element, and in many situations you couldn't slip into the darkness to see everything around you like The Dark Descent. Beyond that though many of the elements and puzzles were similar.

I felt unsettled and uncomfortable the whole time while playing AMFP, which was great. Coupled with the creepy late 1800's atmosphere of scientific discovery, and this was a game I greatly enjoyed. Play time for me was about 12 hours, similar to The Dark Descent.
  38. Sep 11, 2013
    This game definitely knows how to build tension. Music, lighting, atmosphere everything works together perfectly. Due lack of free time i played this hour yesterday and hour just now, and both times it left me with disturbed mind and sick aftertaste.
  39. Sep 11, 2013
    Pretty good and slow paced psychological horror with excellent sound & atmosphere, the mechanics are totally different compared to previous Amnesia titles as this is a mainly story & atmosphere driven horror adventure, if you enjoy atmosphere, great sound and good & intelligently written stories dive in, for shock & gore scare fests there are other titles that do better.
  40. Sep 12, 2013
    Amnesia A machine for pigs is a whole new experience compare to its previous version. it is not always fair to criticize a game in according to what the overall product used to be. Amnesia AMFP does take out somethings and does bring some new things in in comparison to its previous title but reviewing a game is not always about comparing, it is about its current state in the market as wellAmnesia A machine for pigs is a whole new experience compare to its previous version. it is not always fair to criticize a game in according to what the overall product used to be. Amnesia AMFP does take out somethings and does bring some new things in in comparison to its previous title but reviewing a game is not always about comparing, it is about its current state in the market as well and how developers have crafted the game.
    In terms of story I should say AMFP has nothing less than the the dark descent. The story is wonderfully written, undoubtedly it is not cliche like outlast, as you progress into the world of the game in search for your lost daughters you will come across record pieces which will tell you what has happened before the game starts and as well beautifully story presents itself through the game instead of taking place into the boring cut scenes and it tells its story visually as well which is an interesting and praising point for an indie title. I will not spoil the story further but i should say the concept of the story and its metaphor and references are quiet interesting if you have the enough knowledge.
    Amnesia has never been entirely based upon sudden fears, its about the tension in the environment and atmosphere. Remember how we used to be scared all the time while we were playing Silent hill 1,2,3 which did not have any particular sudden fears? Amensia AMFP delivers the same mechanism through its awesome sound effects, very well done soundtracks and the creepy crafted environment which takes place in London. I think choosing the setting as London has good preferences built into it in order to present the story. The gamed does terrifies you, it is divided through the different sections throughout the 6-8 hour of game play and each section delivers a different kind of fear in them. Although I should mention some of the mechanisms have been dated in terms of predictability specially for those who have played the previous title. But still I do like how the game forces people to imagine the monsters rather than facing and killing them.
    Gameplay takes in varied environments through out the game and it does have interesting stuff to be seen and to be faced with. Puzzle parts are fairly remained same but I like how it is more advanced and scripted (technically and story) in comparison to other titles like Outlast. Some of the elements of previous game are removed which does not make much difference, only the sanity meter has affected the gameplay much. I imagine how it could be with sanity meter of course could make the gameplay and the action much more engaging and exciting.
    Finally in terms of graphics, the game has fairly remained same, but as the matter of fact the art direction is much better than it used to be. I like the concept art works built into game and I really enjoyed how much detail is crafted in the game world in various sections. It has made the areas much more believable and real to me.
    In the end, i Do understand some of the fans (Even myself) might find the changes in this game to be weird or not interesting but overall I really enjoyed the game because in the current market we do not see many horror games with a non cliche story and a heavy atmosphere.
    I am pretty sure the developers will take the feedback into the next game and will combine what has been presented in both titles in terms of gameplay mechanism and other stuff so as considering it is an indie title, i should say overall it is a very awesome product
  41. Sep 14, 2013
    Set in a slightly steampunk-esque 1899 London, A Machine for Pigs pits the player as Oswald Mandus, a meat factory owner and inventor of reputable skill, as he wakes up suffering from memory loss and trying to find his missing children as he travels down into the depths of an enormous machine. Like the first Amnesia the player must avoid grotesque abominations as they travel through a darkSet in a slightly steampunk-esque 1899 London, A Machine for Pigs pits the player as Oswald Mandus, a meat factory owner and inventor of reputable skill, as he wakes up suffering from memory loss and trying to find his missing children as he travels down into the depths of an enormous machine. Like the first Amnesia the player must avoid grotesque abominations as they travel through a dark chilling environment and occasionally must solve a puzzle, usually fairly simple like putting an object somewhere.

But what many Amnesia fans might be disappointed to see is that The Chinese Room has taken their beloved monster-terror-meaty franchise and fried it up in a new, more literary fashion. Inventory, resource management, health status, and sanity status have all been removed, as well as a lot of environment interactivity, stripping the game to a pure essence. What many might overlook in their descent to the fetid bowels of this insidious machine, however, is the stunningly written horror story within. It deals with lofty subjects in spades, ranging from love and contempt, to idealism and defeatism, and more. Much of the story though is told vaguely through recalled dialogue and journal excerpts and must be pieced together by the player, which may simply not happen when one is busy focusing too much on the scare and monsters.

Or lack thereof.

One the biggest blows to the game, and indeed what seems to be garnering it many unjustly low reviews, are the often seen yet rarely thrown-at-you monsters. The Dark Descent was well known for its ruthless baddies that chase and stalk you through dark corridors and rooms, but this oft beloved scare tactic simply isn't there in A Machine for Pigs. There are a few moments where the player is required to avoid patrolling pigmen, but often it proves quick and surprisingly easy. Granted, although any actual danger in the game is relatively low the terror and tension are still there if you slow down and allow yourself to be immersed in the game's superb modeling, texturing, lighting, and audio work. Moody dread might be better to describe the game's atmosphere, rather than hostilely suffocating.

Nevertheless, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Scariness and danger threats are not metrics to which the horror genre is held to. I for one am glad that this game was kept from the slippery slopes of stealth-horror and gather-while-chased that seems to be dominating horror games these days, especially if such mechanics might lead to a frustratingly difficult journey that could very well distract from what was being told.

Sadly some might not consider literary horror compelling enough to carry gameplay, and indeed resource management and brutal monster chases seem to be what's delivering the desired scariness level currently. Those who are interested in a deep, compelling horror story delivered with a dark, moody atmosphere are in for a real treat, but those looking for threatening monster chases and jump scares will be sorely disappointed. Since many Amnesia fans will likely be expecting the latter, this game might sadly be destined as mere pearls before swine.

8/10 Masterful horror storytelling with impressively crafted atmosphere. Actual game mechanics and enemy usage could have been better to keep up with its highly praised predecessor. A little short for it's cost and production time, but it still delivers while avoiding repetition.
  42. Sep 11, 2013
    I hardly understand the bad critics on that game. I personally loved the game, one of the best 20$ I spend on a game.

I think you will love the game if you like the genre. That new episode is not as scary as dark descend or the outcast, but he have much and much better story telling, it target Cleary an adult audience. Finally to give you a good example about what kind of bad review

Finally to give you a good example about what kind of bad review the game received..
    "Very short, you have to read to understand the story, invisible archenemy, stupid monsters..."

I really like the part "you have to read to understand the story". OK so if you don't want to read, this game is not for you. You probably better suited playing COD
  43. Sep 11, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is a masterpiece. A masterpiece of storytelling, a masterpiece of atmosphere, and a masterpiece of thematic depth and cohesion.

What it is not, though, is a masterpiece of game design, simply because it's not a "game." No mechanical skill or special mental acuity are required to succeed. There are no choices to be made that affect the story or its conclusion. This is very much a spiritual successor to Dear Esther (it was designed by the same studio), with only superficial similarities to Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

At its core, The Dark Descent was an old school adventure game, something which I actually didn't like about it. It was incredibly atmospheric, scary, and downright disturbing, but to me the puzzles served as a frequently annoying distraction from exploring the grim and compelling world laid before me.

A Machine for Pigs almost entirely forgoes these game elements and transitions completely to the interactive fiction genre. And what a work of interactive fiction it is. Dear Esther was an extraordinarily well-crafted and moving experience, but AMfP improves on it in every way. The writing is masterful, weaving together themes of guilt, original sin, the duality of man, religion, and socio-political philosophy. The visuals are superb and nearly flawless, although I did find myself frustrated by the lack of reflecting mirrors and more naturalistic fog effects. Minor complaints to be sure, but ever so slightly immersion-breaking nonetheless.

I must also shower composer Jessica Curry with the highest praise. Her work in Dear Esther was breathtaking and here we find her again practicing at the pinnacle of her art. Music is absolutely integral to the success of AMfP. Not only does Curry manage to underscore the emotional significance of each section perfectly, but every cue is also a brilliantly original composition in its own right. Search out Mors Praematura online to hear exactly what I'm talking about. At the risk of sounding overly effusive I'd have to say that this is soundtrack of the year (or decade!) material.

In closing, I think Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is a spectacular creative achievement and deserves to be experienced by almost everyone. Yes, it is unusual and is most definitely not a game, nor is it anything like Amnesia: The Dark Descent. As long as you are aware of these facts going in and are able to re-calibrate your expectations early on I guarantee that you're in for a deep, thought-provoking and one of a kind experience.
  44. Sep 11, 2013
    i can easily say, that this is one of the best experiences in gaming, i was sneaking around inside a factory, and i thought the beast was far away, until i see it walking towards me, i desperatly try to hide but when i turn around i see it has caught my scent. at this moment i am running away, and im hearing loud pig-squeels behind me, and just as im about to give up, i notice a smalli can easily say, that this is one of the best experiences in gaming, i was sneaking around inside a factory, and i thought the beast was far away, until i see it walking towards me, i desperatly try to hide but when i turn around i see it has caught my scent. at this moment i am running away, and im hearing loud pig-squeels behind me, and just as im about to give up, i notice a small hatch which i can jump through. and i did, and just as i started breathing again, i can see that the pig-monster has already followed me down, so i start to run! as i panic and run through darkness i cant even see if its a dead end im heading towards, or if another monster decided to chase me aswell, then i see a dor so i open the door, and i see the monster running towards me, i can barely move from the fear im experiencing but i managed to slam the door in its face, quickly barricading the door with whatever i can find, after a while, i hear the squeals sounds further and further away, and i then realized that im safe... FOR NOW. i´d easily give this game a 10/10, for the atmospherical environments and the rewarding feeling when you have managed to survive an encounter, if you haven´t played this game alredy, then play it now! PROS: great scary atmosphere, thrilling environment, dark, immersive and deep storyline and a great ton of fun experience. CONS: minor bugs, simplified game mechanics, and as i´ve noticed they seem to have removed the insanity system which im really dissappointed about. SUMMARY: the cons are so easy to look around when you notice what a great experience frictional/chinese has made for you, one of the best horror games i have ever played (i did play the original amnesia). Expand
  45. Sno
    Sep 10, 2013
    Although several things have been changed from the original amnesia, this title is certainly deserving of the amnesia trademark. I was scared just as much, if not more, in this game than the original, which the original failed to do for me on my second playthrough. Frictional made a fantastic decision allowing thechineseroom to develop this game.
  46. Sep 10, 2013
    A nice game! Haven't finish it off but the game is cool! I dont know why people are saying, it's bad blabla, idk, maybe it will be bad later? 9-10 I like it!
  47. Sep 10, 2013
    I think Amnesia A Machine For Pigs is very good sequel for the Amnesia The Dark Descent, but it isn't as great as Dark Descent. A Machine For Pigs is still really scary but not as scary as Dark Descent, why? Because they did remove loads of things from it. There's no sanity(almost at all) and the lantern has infinite oil which makes it less scarier. Another thing missing is inventory soI think Amnesia A Machine For Pigs is very good sequel for the Amnesia The Dark Descent, but it isn't as great as Dark Descent. A Machine For Pigs is still really scary but not as scary as Dark Descent, why? Because they did remove loads of things from it. There's no sanity(almost at all) and the lantern has infinite oil which makes it less scarier. Another thing missing is inventory so you cant pick up anything to your inventory, if you need to take something you need to carry it around which is good, I think it makes the game bit scarier. The story telling is pretty good and maybe better than in Dark Descent, but I'm missing that when character reads you everything in his diary pages. Expand
  48. Sep 11, 2013
    I really don't understan why people are downrating this game, it's very well done, it takes the in depth environment of dear esther and the scares of Amnesia: The Dark Descent and makes a brilliant game
  49. Sep 11, 2013
    Being a huge fan of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, I couldn't help myself from playing this game. At first glance I had been a little worried about the changes The Chinese Room had to include, but I had expected it. After finishing the game I can certainly say its a very different experience compared to The Dark Descent. Although there are some things I had missed from The Dark Descent, ABeing a huge fan of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, I couldn't help myself from playing this game. At first glance I had been a little worried about the changes The Chinese Room had to include, but I had expected it. After finishing the game I can certainly say its a very different experience compared to The Dark Descent. Although there are some things I had missed from The Dark Descent, A Machine for Pigs had some things new to throw on the table that weren't quite there in the first game.

A Machine for Pigs offers a lot less jump scares and instead, has an incredibly chilling environment. Through reading notes and exploring the machine, players can sink deeper into the atmosphere of the game. In my opinion, I feel that this wasn't as well done in the first game and I am glad The Chinese Room could improve on it.

I read through other reviews and I see people complaining about no inventory system, or no health bar. I believe this argument is folly, considering these things had little to offer in the first game. A person would use their inventory to either use an item or drink a potion, both of which took about 5-10 seconds. As for the health bar, there is no use in having one. Each enemy encounter is spread out and you are guaranteed to go down in about 2 hits.

Even though I felt less moments of terror and fear as The Dark Descent, I felt much more disturbed or uncomfortable. Although Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is much less 'shock and terror' it brings about fantastic writing and design to make the game horrifying in a much different way. This may rub some people the wrong way as they may not have expected these changes, which I understand may be why this game is getting so much flak. A Machine for Pigs is a must play for anyone who can appreciate good design and good horror.
  50. Sep 10, 2013
    Okay, first off. All the bad reviews.....everyone, click the users names. It's their only review, 80% of the time. Outlast fan boys or stupid kids who play cod all day. Second, is it better than the original? Well thats up to you. I personally thought, while it was scary, and had great atmosphere and beautiful textures and designs it wasn't as scary as the original. BUT. it is still asOkay, first off. All the bad reviews.....everyone, click the users names. It's their only review, 80% of the time. Outlast fan boys or stupid kids who play cod all day. Second, is it better than the original? Well thats up to you. I personally thought, while it was scary, and had great atmosphere and beautiful textures and designs it wasn't as scary as the original. BUT. it is still as great horror game. Better than Outlast, Better than Penumbra. It's laughable to see all the bad reviews...and then figure out, that it's probably the same little freak, making new accounts and reviewing the game over and over and over again. Stop it little children. This is a great horror title, and don't let anyone tell you other wise. I recommend you pick up The original first, it's better and the same price. But give this one a try to, great game. Expand
  51. Sep 14, 2013
    The curtain closes and I'm left staring at the credits pondering the splendid story I've just been told both by voice and by pen. The writing through notes scattered about the environment is unbelievably magnificent. The musical score is also noteworthy and like it's predecessor the atmosphere is thick, rich and well maintained throughout.

I'm not going to compare Amnesia: A Machine for

I'm not going to compare Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs with Amnesia: The Dark Descent as is the rage on the Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs Steam forums and most likely on any gaming forum that your browser may come upon. Simply put, just because two siblings share the same surname does not mandate that the youngest emulate or follow in the footsteps of the elder Both siblings can be great in their own way. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs deserves to stand on it's own and bask in it's own brilliance and magnificence.
  52. Nov 29, 2013
    Absolutely brilliant game which is completely underrated.

Absolutely brilliant game which is completely underrated.

First off players need to set their expectations. This is more of a physiological thriller and dark mystery with tons of symbolism and history rolled up into it. It's not going to give you the sense of terror and helplessness that the Dark Descent gave you, but it's still a fantastic game, and extremely well thought out. The atmosphere and soundtrack are stunning, and the dreadful, melancholy sense of "wtf are these people doing?" prevails throughout the game.

Yes the monsters are easy and so are the puzzles, but the story here was so good I personally appreciated that as I did not want to waste time and wanted to advance the story line. Speaking of which it has a few twists and turns along the way which was a welcome surprise.

I think the problem alot of the negative reviews are having is they had a different expectation of the game, as if it were to be the Dark Descent part 2. This game reminds me alot of when the movie Sixth Sense came out, then was followed up by another brilliant movie Unbreakable. Two completely different movies but some fans wanted to see another Sixth Sense. Vanilla and chocolate, both great flavors and we can enjoy both.

Finally if you were a fan of Dear Esther, you will absolutely love this game. What I liked about this and Dear Esther were the emotional responses they drew, and the physiological metaphors embedded throughout the story.

Not sure how many caught it but that subliminal pig head that barely flashed on the screen for a second, as you went into one of the lifts, was freakin awesome.

I hope that Frictional continues with the Amnesia franchise, as these games have to be some of the most well-written ever. A Machine for Pigs is a solid contribution to the series.
  53. Xon
    Sep 16, 2013
    The game is good, but since it is an Amnesia sequel many would feel disappointed because it is almost entirely a different genre of game. But the atmosphere is brilliant, the world painstakingly detailed and the sounds realistic and eery.
  54. Sep 13, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is really different experience, comparing to the original. However, changing in gameplay, style and storytelling did what they had to now this game is an awesome expansion to the Amnesia universe with mad and horror story, excellent music and perfect design.
  55. HD3
    Oct 4, 2013
    The game play is significantly simplified over the Dark Descent which will put some people off but it's every bit as scary and horrific as the original. The narrative is much stronger and well written and the environments are beautifully detailed. Cast performances are universally fantastic. Would recommend.
  56. Sep 11, 2013
    loved the story pacing and acting, took me a while to get into the game but once i did i couldn't stop playing. if you are getting this just for scary bits then you will probably be disappointed but if you play a game for story and atmosphere you will love it
  57. Sep 13, 2013
    Hell to the naysayers, this game is amazing. Its true potential may be hidden by a false face of bland maps, linear and easy puzzles and an absence of scares, but don't let that fool you!

When you fully understand the power of the chairs (more specifically stools), you will come to the understanding that this game is a deep social commentary with so much depth and multifaceted intricacy that to even begin to comprehend it could result in your death. The grand ascension of chairs is the life of this game.

So, grab yourself a stool, lie it down and jump on top. Prepare to harness the power of the chair! Speed through halls like a winged hyena and don't stop at the constraints of the map blitz through bars, walls and even the ground! ENTER THE CHAIR REALM and the vicious emptiness that is skybox-glitch! All hail stool! All hail stool!

It's all part of a machine; a machine for chairs.

Tl;dr: this game kicks arse, 10/10 best chair simulator ever.
  58. Oct 20, 2013
    A cerebral and spooky sequel that expands on the franchise’s story and themes, while slightly dialing down the terror. This is a good, and well made horror game, whats with all the criticism. I would recommend, you buy this if you are a horror game fan.
  59. Oct 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Concept: Tell another moody and atmospheric story about terror, tremors, and horrors of the factorial industrial period.

Graphics: When it gets dark, pull out your lantern, because otherwise there is nothing much to be seen. When the lantern comes out however, it gets beautifully dark as can be.

Sound: Between the rip roaring of machinery and the screaming and howling of monsters, you'll have your hands full with disseminating and distinguishing between what can hurt you and what can't. It's all terrifying however, and quite unexpected.

Playability: Choosing between using a keyboard or a controller makes this experience easier on more players, but I would definitely prefer the classic layout of the original, and played through with that choice set-up.

Entertainment: A truly scary and thought-provoking experience, as the first was. Not necessarily a step up, but not a giant step down either.

Replay Value: Moderate.

Overall Score: 8.25
  60. Oct 16, 2013
    An incredible improvement over Dark Descent. Where once there was needless and abstract puzzles mixed in with running from meh monsters and a story that was mediocre at best; there is now an amazing story with simplified gameplay meant to focus on the experience of working your way through a grotesquely large machine meant only for the slaughtering of "pigs". Yes enemy encounters areAn incredible improvement over Dark Descent. Where once there was needless and abstract puzzles mixed in with running from meh monsters and a story that was mediocre at best; there is now an amazing story with simplified gameplay meant to focus on the experience of working your way through a grotesquely large machine meant only for the slaughtering of "pigs". Yes enemy encounters are disappointing, but even with how bad they are I can't take points away because the story and the immersion and the thoughts that are provoked by this game far and I mean FAR outweigh any negative impact from the enemies. Anybody that complains about the game not "scaring them" is because they didn't understand it wasn't meant to make you go, "AAAH! Monsters!" it was meant to make you go, "What monster am I? What have I done to these people? What did I do to my family?" You're meant to look inward at the horrors that can be committed by man not the horrors of pig-men trying to kill you. If you're looking for a game that will make you have those terrible thoughts and have to wonder what kind of a monster you are, than this is for you. If you want a puzzle game that relies on basic emotions (fear of character death) to scare you play Dark Descent or Penumbra (it's better than Dark Descent). Expand
  61. Sep 15, 2013
    I wonder what people would have said had they not had A:TDD to compare A:AMFP to? Personally, I loved both games. Sharper graphics/textures, improved audio in this one. Great writing this time around, I enjoyed the tale even more so. So many of the negative user scores mention A:TDD and how this game just doesn't stack up I suggest you all just enjoy it for the game it is. I thinkI wonder what people would have said had they not had A:TDD to compare A:AMFP to? Personally, I loved both games. Sharper graphics/textures, improved audio in this one. Great writing this time around, I enjoyed the tale even more so. So many of the negative user scores mention A:TDD and how this game just doesn't stack up I suggest you all just enjoy it for the game it is. I think after all this backlash, Frictional will be sure to do the next one all on their own. Let's be careful we don't cause them to pack it in altogether... Cheers! Expand
  62. Sep 12, 2013
    Despite the fact that many people did not like this game as it was "Not anything to the dark decent" I find hard to understand. Meaning yes it was A LOT different but despite that I found it very exciting. Lots of games experiment with new things so the player dosent feel like he/she is playing a copy of the previous ones. One point I must make is the monsters, Many people complain thatDespite the fact that many people did not like this game as it was "Not anything to the dark decent" I find hard to understand. Meaning yes it was A LOT different but despite that I found it very exciting. Lots of games experiment with new things so the player dosent feel like he/she is playing a copy of the previous ones. One point I must make is the monsters, Many people complain that they are easy to escape from, and they run very slow. Yes you have a point but when you put facts together could a 600lbs pig man run as fast as a 200lb adult man? I thought the man pigs were fine and plus I cared about the story more than the scares. Yes without the scared the game wouldn't be what it would have been. To sum it up I think this game deserved more. Expand
  63. Sep 13, 2013
    A machine for pigs. What can I say about it. This game cannot (and must not) be compared to the previous Amnesia game. For one, the two games are developed by two different companies, and the way these two companies created both master pieces, is similar YET very different. AMFP is more story oriented, has a great and creative story and makes you immerse in a world that is complete strangeA machine for pigs. What can I say about it. This game cannot (and must not) be compared to the previous Amnesia game. For one, the two games are developed by two different companies, and the way these two companies created both master pieces, is similar YET very different. AMFP is more story oriented, has a great and creative story and makes you immerse in a world that is complete strange to you. I gave this game a 9 just because the game wasnt scary cause i believe the first game was way scarier) but because is unique, it shows that they put a lot of effort on writing it and this is why i loved it. Not a 10 because i dont believe the name should have contained 'Amnesia' in it... this is a very different game... anyway.. totally recommending this game Expand
  64. Sep 15, 2013
    I can't understand why people are hating on this game so much. Its interesting, but is not the same game as Amnesia: The Dark Decent. They still keep up their reputation of horrifying ambience and it seems they have even improved on that aspect. Don't listen to all those haters it's a great game.
  65. Oct 19, 2013
    I loved the game. Probably because I'm a sucker for good stories, so yes, this game delivered. I also get scared quite easily so this game was terrifying to me (sorry for being a wuss), so the amount of horror was just fine. But the brilliant writing and the amazing soundtrack just made the game seem so good to me. Overall I prefer this one over the Dark Descent (of course that's not aI loved the game. Probably because I'm a sucker for good stories, so yes, this game delivered. I also get scared quite easily so this game was terrifying to me (sorry for being a wuss), so the amount of horror was just fine. But the brilliant writing and the amazing soundtrack just made the game seem so good to me. Overall I prefer this one over the Dark Descent (of course that's not a bad game, not at all! It's great.) but I do understand why there are a lot of people who disagree on that. It's simply not as scary, there's no more sanity system and you can barely interact with any objects. But only because it's being compared to the first game it ís the sequel so you'll do that automatically, of course the game seems to bad. But in my personal opinion I loved it. Expand
  66. Oct 27, 2013
    This game is better and worst than The Dark Descent.
    The story it's very good but hard to understand,but no accidentally,the creators made the story be spelled in some lately parts,and in the other they concentrate on game play.
    The scare factor is made by the atmosphere and the monsters that appear at some times. I personally didn't like that they limited what you can hold,so you can
    This game is better and worst than The Dark Descent.
    I personally didn't like that they limited what you can hold,so you can tell this game is for no brain-ers,because it simply tells you that you can use that but not that.
    The ending was a bit obscure and mysterious,and i didn't understand everything.
    I don't think someone will waste his time with a custom story,because it's no inventory,no sanity and no oil,the notes are too long and some of them are useless.
    But cool game if you like puzzle adventure with a bit of horror.
  67. Nov 12, 2013
    Yes, most of the gameplay mechanics of the Dark Descent are gone. That means there is no more inventory, no more health, no more sanity meter. Your lantern is now electric so you can use it pretty much non-stop. All this serves to bring Amnesia away from being a game about creeping through shadows trying to hide from a monster while feebly attempting to not go insane, to a game where youYes, most of the gameplay mechanics of the Dark Descent are gone. That means there is no more inventory, no more health, no more sanity meter. Your lantern is now electric so you can use it pretty much non-stop. All this serves to bring Amnesia away from being a game about creeping through shadows trying to hide from a monster while feebly attempting to not go insane, to a game where you can freely explore every room and every corner without much hinderance or fear. It is a departure from The Dark Descent, but it works.

The horror in A Dark Descent came from the monster that was chasing you, always hurrying you along. It was very action driven. In A Machine For Pigs, the horror is much more passive. It's in the setting, the atmosphere and the story the game tells, much more than it is in the game's mechanics. And that is where The Chinese Room fits in so well. They are masters at crafting a setting that will utterly disturb you. The visuals are superb, the design of the machine is morbid, the writing in the notes and voice-overs of a quality that surpasses that of The Dark Descent... And the audio is nothing short of amazing, with a haunting soundtrack and ambient sounds that make the setting really come to life.

The game is quite short. You can finish it in 4 to 5 hours. It starts a bit slow, the beginning has a few jump-scares and a setting that is reminiscent of A Dark Descent. But once you leave the starting area and get to explore said machine from the title, the game really comes into its own. I felt The Dark Descent overstayed its welcome a bit, the latter part of the game became more tedious and it ended on a low note. Not so with A Machine For Pigs. It gets increasingly more intense as you progress and continues to build up to a final, horrifying climax.

Ultimately I think A Machine For Pigs is better than The Dark Descent. Sure it is less nerve wrecking to play, but the horror is more subtle, refined and much more unsettling. And it will stay with you once you've finished it.
  68. Dec 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is surely different from Amnesia: TDD, mainly because it wasn't created in collaboration as the first one had been. In this series, the game takes on a different focus, where the story is more important than the actual puzzle. Its not as interactive taking out many of the key component seen in The Dark Decent. However, without these components the player is more focused on the story rather than trying to find more oil, and I assume that is what the creators of the game was going for. This game differs being that its more of a Edgar Allen Poe kind of fear, which is far more profound rather than skin chilling scary. I can't say the main story line of Machine for Pigs was as scary, but I did enjoy the poetic beauty of the game and the environment. The game definitely leaves you thinking, although the puzzles aren't as challenging, the connection for the character and player are more synchronized. I would definitely like to see another Amnesia, but with more of a combination between Dark Decent and Machine for Pigs. Expand
  69. Jan 1, 2014
    Fantastic game, with very powerful and memorable moments. The critique that the gameplay is not very challenging is fair, you should really approach this game as an interactive movie and take the time to soak in all the little details and get immersed. If you want to sink in a man's personal purgatory you won't be disappointed.

The core message is critiqued of being too soon revealed

The core message is critiqued of being too soon revealed and too simple, that is a fair critique too. There are reveals, but not really any big twists. The beauty of the story is the elaboration and exploration of what you initially suspect, and by the time you see you already know.

I can't recommend it enough, really. It is a brilliant work.
  70. Jun 23, 2014
    It was enjoyable, but it was missing a lot of the constant, changing scares that The Dark Descent had. It starts out VERY slow, with some very basic scares that barely tend to scare you. This game excels in creepy atmosphere, however. And the monsters do come around before the middle of the game, at least. Which is good. I thought this game was excellent but certainly wasn't the best thatIt was enjoyable, but it was missing a lot of the constant, changing scares that The Dark Descent had. It starts out VERY slow, with some very basic scares that barely tend to scare you. This game excels in creepy atmosphere, however. And the monsters do come around before the middle of the game, at least. Which is good. I thought this game was excellent but certainly wasn't the best that Frictional normally puts out, like Penumbra (which is still my scariest game personally) and The Dark Descent. I'd still recommend a buy. Expand
  71. Jul 8, 2014
    This game deserves around a 7 in rating, but I'm giving it a 10 because everyone else is flailing about, giving it a 0 when even it doesn't deserve it. You wanna talk about a game that deserves a 0? Superman 64 deserves a 0. ET deserves a 0. Hyde deserves a friggen 0. So, you wanna give an adequate game with working physics, low-glitch count, wonderful story, and phenomenal music a 0?This game deserves around a 7 in rating, but I'm giving it a 10 because everyone else is flailing about, giving it a 0 when even it doesn't deserve it. You wanna talk about a game that deserves a 0? Superman 64 deserves a 0. ET deserves a 0. Hyde deserves a friggen 0. So, you wanna give an adequate game with working physics, low-glitch count, wonderful story, and phenomenal music a 0? Fine. I'll give this game a 10, just to counter your ridiculous belief on how a game "should" be. Expand
  72. Sep 29, 2013
    Great horror game. Dark atmosphere. This game is maybe for the lesser-hardcore horror freaks, as i've enjoyed A Machine for Pigs much more than the dark descent. It's maybe because it's not as spooky, but still very, very dark.
  73. Sep 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I cannot understand why most people are underwhelmed by the scare factor in A Machine For Pigs. In all honesty, I found it to be creepier and more fear-inducing than Dark Descent, mainly due to the games inclusion of children and...*shudder*....pigs. In fact, the underlying story was amazingly horrific directly because of the effective use of these elements as its basis. Expand
  74. Nov 28, 2013
    Different, yes, but still a damn fine game. Easily more disturbing than the first game, and the gameplay operates well. And holy f*ck, the manpigs...

It's easy to become immersed in this game, and I admit I don't mind the lack of oil, tinderboxes and sanity being gone. Overall, it is excellent. I love it.
  75. Nov 3, 2014
    It has no the same horror of the first game, bot it still good, the story is macabre and disturbing, is the story of a guy than deep into a depression, and the enemies are so disturbing
  76. Sep 10, 2013
    As far as i played a machine for pigs i can say this: It nails the atmosphere in any way. You are scared even if there aren't any monsters around. the voice acting is done well and the scares are from well done to amazing. its a small step backward from The dark descent. The ammount of stuff you can pick up is limited, and the diary pages are not voice acted. Overall this game has a veryAs far as i played a machine for pigs i can say this: It nails the atmosphere in any way. You are scared even if there aren't any monsters around. the voice acting is done well and the scares are from well done to amazing. its a small step backward from The dark descent. The ammount of stuff you can pick up is limited, and the diary pages are not voice acted. Overall this game has a very good story and a horrorfying atmosphere! Collapse

1. Dec 12, 2013
    A Machine for Pigs is a well made and impressive game with a thorough thematic design and atmosphere. As a horror game it is rather spartan yet brilliant in that it let’s your brain conjure most of its horrors. Unfortunately it comes with a rather numbing effect that makes later parts of the game feel more formulaic and not as scary.
  2. Nov 5, 2013
    With problematic pacing and a complete lack of the horror element -that was the highlight of the first game- A Machine for Pigs didn't meet our expectations.
    A perfect clash of Dear Esther and Amnesia, focused on straining your nerves while easing - perhaps a tad too much - on the interaction and gameplay. [Issue#234]