5.8

1. Sep 13, 2013
    I like many others was expecting an experience much like the original Amnesia. I didn't think it would be as scary or as memorable as the first considering it was being developed by TCR, but I expected a good, solid game that would scare me good. While a constant sense of dread and tension is built throughout the game, the suspense never really climaxes into something truly terrifying, andI like many others was expecting an experience much like the original Amnesia. I didn't think it would be as scary or as memorable as the first considering it was being developed by TCR, but I expected a good, solid game that would scare me good. While a constant sense of dread and tension is built throughout the game, the suspense never really climaxes into something truly terrifying, and by the second hour in, the flickering lights and pig monsters almost lose their fear factor entirely. I wouldn't call this game scary. Creepy, disturbing and suspenseful are more accurate descriptions I think. The removal of some gameplay elements and also the inexhaustible lantern that also acts as a monster detector probably contributes to the lack of fear as well.

Graphics wise, it's a small improvement over the first Amnesia but still looks a bit outdated. The lighting in particular often looks rather strange, with low res textures here and there. Sound design however is phenomenal and TCR use it brilliantly to create a really fleshed out atmosphere. Soundtrack and voice acting is top notch as well. If you really immerse yourself into the game, the story is not too bad either. Writing is generally very poetic and descriptive and you might find it difficult to grasp what's going on behind all the metaphorical language. The story is generally quite good though.

To sum up the game, AAMFP is mostly like Dear Esther with some Amnesia sprinkled on top. I was somewhat disappointed after finishing the game, but I've learnt to appreciate the unique experience that TCR have created. In terms of length, think Penumbra: BP, around 4-6 hours.
  2. Sep 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Unfortunately, I was extremely disappointed with the game, maybe because I was a massive fan of the original, as well as a fan or Dear Esther, and had been excited about playing this since the reveal, I don't know. Anyway, here's what I found good and bad:

Good:

As usual, the world is extremely detailed looking.

The music is quite good and fits with each situation in the game

There were a few cool moments when objects or even doors and passages would appear/disappear leaving you a little confused or freaked out for a moment, but in a good way! :)

Bad:

Far too short. I finished it in 4 hours, and I didn't rush through. I'm OCD and I explore everywhere and look at everything in games. Regular gamers would probably get through it even faster!

There was absolutely no tension or atmosphere, which are things the original had in spades! At no point did I feel dread, fear, apprehension, or any of the other good stuff the original made me feel.

The only scares in the game were a handful of cheap jump scares, like platforms falling, children running at you, etc.

The story seemed to be the main focus of the game, but it was extremely predictable. There was obviously a lot of effort put into it with all the notes and dialogue, but most of it was so over the top, almost pretentious sounding, coupled with the shovelling of as many terms relating to pigs as possible (yes, we get it, there are pigs in this game!), it was incredibly hard to take seriously and almost painful to get through, nearly to the point where I considered skipping reading the notes/journal.

The monsters were not even remotely scary and never felt like they were a threat, even when they spotted you and chased you. In fact, I'd go as far as to say they were almost comical in their appearance and behaviour (WTF was up with that Space Pig???). So disappointed after the terrifying array of monsters in the original.

Lack of mechanics from the previous game, like tinder boxes, lantern fuel, inventory, insanity, health, etc. The game was over simplified and lost a lot of it's charm and things which helped make the original scary.

While the graphics are similar quality to the original, there seemed to be this weird fuzz/glow over everything, that in the darkest parts of the game would cause weird artifacts and colour banding that I hadn't experienced previously.

Overall, I found this to be a disappointment and I wish I'd picked it up in a Steam sale, rather than pre-ordering, because it certainly was not worth the money.
  3. Sep 18, 2013
    This game is so far removed from the original, it was quite disappointing. However, I think it would have been received as much better if it was released without the Amnesia title. On it's own, Machine for Pigs is just fine, but you cannot take away every element of the first (especially the actual horror the original gave us) and expect good results.

I would suggest watching someone

I would suggest watching someone else play it first I wish I had, wasted my money instead.
  4. Sep 19, 2013
    A huge disappointment, I should've known that when the Chinese Room got involved they'd strip out the elements that actually make it a game and turn it into another failure like Dear Esther. It barely qualifies as a game and definitely doesn't quality as a good one. Your money is better spent elsewhere.
  5. Sep 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is not the game Amnesia fans waited years for.

When Frictional made Dark Descent, they created a highly interactive atmosphere that drew you in until you were too scared to go into the next room and see what horror was waiting for you. Instead of adding to the mechanics of the original, Chinese Room decided to remove practically all the original mechanics (no inventory, no health/sanity, you can't manipulate all objects, no hiding spots). The panic of getting Daniel through the dark to light before he went insane and preserving lamp oil contributed so much to the fear factor. Taking those elements away removed A LOT of quality from the game.
    Many fans say the enemies are not scary, I'm not sure that's entirely true though. The idea of the enemy models was great and the sounds are frightening enough, but they never appear in a moment you clearly have an advantage. The grunts from the first game appeared in some of the worst moments you could imagine and scrambling for a hiding place was unforgettably chaotic. The enemies were presented badly and the feeling of helplessness is completely absent. The biggest question I have is why couldn't they find a way to bring back the grunts??? Get creative next time Chinese Room, I expected to be chased and beat senseless but your pigs were too stupid to catch me (never died once on my first play through). The AI should have improved from Dark Descent, not degraded into mindless creatures that will completely miss you when you're right next to them. Maybe if Mandus was actually afraid of the dark like Daniel they would have noticed me.
    The design looks rather nice and I enjoyed amnesia's art style looking good, but you never wondered what was next. The next room would be some mechanical room that looked basically like the last. You could say the first amnesia did that with the castle looking the same, but the environments changed enough that it was fresh and that dreadful feeling of going deeper was much more prominent. That 'going deeper' theme is repeated in Machine for Pigs but honestly I was just hoping that something would surprise me.
    Another reason the rating isn't that low is the story really is pretty cool. The political satire and dark themes are interesting, but I could actually pay attention to this story because I wasn't scared out of my mind something was about to eat me again (I loved the first game's story on a later playthrough where I actually payed attention). A good story isn't enough to impress me though. This game is supposed to be a sequel and yet I found it to be 100% unrelated to the original. There is not a single reference to the evil we witnessed and feared in Brennenburg Castle. That may have been difficult since it's been moved to a separate era and location, but I hate that the first game is ignored. Chinese Room did tell us that they were putting a lot into the story and that was true. If only they didn't forget to put in the rest of the game. This is where I felt kind of nauseous inside because I realized that Amnesia had fallen victim to being inspired by Dear Esther. I know that game was supposed to be 'artistic', but a complete lack of gameplay made for one the most disappointing wastes of time and money of my life. Thank goodness some of Amnesia is still in this game or fans would have been even more furious.
    One more MAJOR complaint and perhaps the worst. When I played the first Amnesia, it took me 7-8 hours to finally reach Alexander. That game was LONG and I loved every moment of my terror. What happened with all that time for development for this game??? Did they forget to add-in half the game? I feel like at some point I must have bypassed the entire game since I watched the credits roll within the time it would have taken me to watch a movie. The length is the worst factor that Dear Esther rubbed off onto this game. I'm crossing my fingers that they implement what is needed for Custom Stories or this game will NEVER be worth what I payed. It's not that the game is unfinished, it's that it goes by so dang fast that you didn't have a chance to get that scared. If I could only make one change then I would beg for a couple more hours worth of gameplay. It may not be Dark Descent, but I was still having fun.
    As a horror game on its own, this game is decent and has a great story with awesome music and voice acting. I will applaud those achievements and you earned half a rating. However, this game is far too short and feels more like a professional custom story than a full sequel. Had they not put "Amnesia" in the title I think I would be happier because on its own it really is good. Maybe Dear Piggy would be more appropriate. I would still recommend giving the game a play through, but please don't walk out of that first bedroom with expectations so you can enjoy it for what it's worth.
  6. Oct 10, 2013
    No. The Chinese Room did all wrong for me. The atmosphere was barely tense (noisy machines doesn't create suspense and the lantern allerts when mob's coming).
    The hardest puzzle is something like "go in the other room and bring the thing back" (no inventory...).
    You can't interact with anything that is not part of the super linear path, the doors are all open or closed (no 1 key in all game) and even the dressers are all closed! come on!
    The encounters are too few and not so scary as they should be (only the water things are the most).
    The rooms are too big to to sense claustrophobia or panic and there is not so much feeling of being trappedand and survive.
    Only the story can stand for me because it's not completely equal to Dark Descent even if most of time I had to immagine to be horrified than seeing odd and dark things (pigs apart).
    The graphic and phisic is not evolved at all from D.D. as I expected to be.
    Maybe the thing that could save the game is an hypothetical new editor that should improve the old one to create new custom stories, but it's only an hope.
    Bad money spent....
  7. Feb 16, 2014
    On of the best games I have played, Other reviews are saying that they played the first 30 minutes and quit, to fully get the game you have to play through it, it gets so much scarier. In my eyes you have to fully play a game to review it
  8. Sep 10, 2013
    Takes boring to a whole new level. There is no gameplay, you walk and sometimes turn a valve. You almost never encounter enemies. You can complete it in under 3 hours. You must sprint everywhere because you walk so slow. There is a very liner confusing story that you don't care about. The pace is the slowest I've ever encountered. This is literately a walking simulator. Keep your moneyTakes boring to a whole new level. There is no gameplay, you walk and sometimes turn a valve. You almost never encounter enemies. You can complete it in under 3 hours. You must sprint everywhere because you walk so slow. There is a very liner confusing story that you don't care about. The pace is the slowest I've ever encountered. This is literately a walking simulator. Keep your money (and yourself) as far away from this as possible. Expand
  9. Sep 11, 2013
    AMFP takes the Amnesia franchise and throws it to the dogs. The early levels are exciting and well-built, designed to encourage exploration and a no-stone-unturned mentality. You get glimpses of how mind-blowing the sound design will be, one thread that carries through the game. As you descend, the game becomes more linear; there is no backtracking, the majority of alternate doors areAMFP takes the Amnesia franchise and throws it to the dogs. The early levels are exciting and well-built, designed to encourage exploration and a no-stone-unturned mentality. You get glimpses of how mind-blowing the sound design will be, one thread that carries through the game. As you descend, the game becomes more linear; there is no backtracking, the majority of alternate doors are locked, and the puzzles are childishly simple. If you enjoy cheap scares and overplayed horror devices, this is the game for you.
    Pros: Absolutely amazing sound design.
    Cons: Everything else.
  10. Sep 21, 2013
    This game took very little effort and time, so little time in fact that I can't imagine paying more than 10$ Let alone 20$.

-1 Not nearly scary as the first, not as grim or dark its literally lit everywhere -1 Way short less than 4 hours of game play and I finished it just a moment ago in 2 hours 30 minutes -1 No threats, I died once on purpose, that was all -1 Puzzles not

-1 No threats, I died once on purpose, that was all
    -1 Puzzles not puzzling at all, everything you need is located right next to you and journal tells you how
    -1 Very confusing story and as you progress it gets boring and some of it makes no sense
    -1 Ending, climax of the story was weak, very very weak and predictable
    -1 No inventory, no combining, no oil no limited resources
    +1 Awesome voice acting
    +1 Amazing sound track
    +1 Bacon! Couple of throwbacks to the first game

As a fan of Frictional's Penumbra series and Amnesia the lacking of puzzles and the shortness makes this less of a game an more of a mod on the old engine. You can't interact with 90% of the boxes and items like you could in the first and the paths are all straight forward.
  11. Sep 13, 2013
    Overall not a rememberable game and wasn't what i was expecting.
    They got rid of a lot of things that made the previous amnesia and penumbra games great.
    They got rid of the puzzles. They got rid of inventory drops like laudanum, oil and craftable parts. They got rid of having to hide from the monsters. They got rid of the suspenseful music, and in the end the storyline was pretty
    Overall not a rememberable game and wasn't what i was expecting.
    They got rid of the puzzles.
    They got rid of inventory drops like laudanum, oil and craftable parts.
    They got rid of having to hide from the monsters.
    They got rid of the suspenseful music, and in the end the storyline was pretty mediocre.
    If you want to play a good HPL interactive horror game try out the old penumbra games...
  12. Sep 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As an avid Amnesia: The dark descent fan, I am extremely disappointed with A Machine For Pigs. For starters, the monsters are laughably easy to avoid. Every time there was an actual encounter with one of the walking pigs, I could literally run right by them, be chased for a few seconds, and they would give up. In the original, the monsters would actively seek you out for a very long time, forcing you to run in the darkness as the terror-meter blared, and tremble in a dark corner as they approached. The fact that you can stare at the new pig monsters with no ill effects is another minus, for I'm sure we all remember the horrible repercussions of staring too long at a monster in ATDD (being discovered and promptly chased from here to Marathon).
    The removal of the inventory was another major letdown. One of the best little features of ATDD was being able to pick up pretty much anything and investigate it, and possibly store it in your inventory. In AAMFP, you can pick up a few chairs, not that you need them to throw at monsters since they don't really chase you. Removal of the need for light was also a terrible mistake, in my opinion. Without the need for light, the horror factor of running into a monster was incredibly diminished. The lantern in AAMFP even flickers to let you know that there is a monster nearby! The few jump scares involving the pigs ended with no chase, no continuation of the feeling of dread, no follow up monster. Just silence and confusion on my part.
    On the plus side, the story was fairly good. I absolutely loved Mandus' character and the way the plot unveiled, but it was a bit predictable. After the experience of realizing that Daniel was torturing people in ATDD, finding out that Mandus was the saboteur and the inventor of the Machine wasn't that shocking, just kind of "Oh, yeah. I thought so."
    In addition, the game kept crashing on me in the middle of the most tense moments, causing me to quickly loose interest and immersion, whereas ATDD told me how to play the game for the best effect and ran smoothly on the highest graphics settings.
    Not worth the $20 I spent on it.

Pros: Soundtrack, first 1/2 of plot, graphics
    Cons: Monsters, lack of inventory, no environmental interaction, weak last half of plot, everything else
  13. Sep 23, 2013
    This game is a disappointment. The developers have forgotten that they were creating a game for their customers; a game is more interactive than this walk-through, which only has a few boring puzzles. Instead, what they have dumped on the customer is their attempt at writing a poorly told short story and expecting you to pay for something they consider 'art'.

This is not art and it's

This is not art and it's not a good story. If a book editor were to review the text, so much of the material would have been deleted because it doesn't add anything to this amateurish effort. Certainly, no editor would have published this as a novel or novella, so the game publishers would have to resort to self-publishing. And the game developers did just that. They have self-published some bad fiction and disregarded good game development.

I'm not exaggerating when I say this story is bad. It can be summed up in a few sentences: "Oh God, I'm so tormented," "Oh God, I'm so tormented," restate background information with different prose, throw in enigmatic monologue and information and have the main character think about the same information, again and again. Most of this story is just static word pictures and it's often told in flashback (zzzzzzzzz). You, the gamer, and Mandus, the main character, never really do anything.

So now, I'm having a bad flashback, recalling the moment when I had purchased and played this boring game. I wail, gnash my teeth and pull my hair. Falling to my knees, I pray this bad game might get better. With tears and hope in my eyes, I look at the monitor but there is no change; Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is still a terrible game and a boring story. Oh God, I'm so tormented!
  14. Sep 10, 2013
    The worst sequel I have ever played. It hugely lacks of horror, inventory like Amnesia,inventory...They hadnt changed the graphics, just made it even worst and physics are still worst...Dont buy this game, get Outlast, heck the Amnesia fanboys reviewers..
  15. Sep 11, 2013
    Very short, you have to read to understand the story, invisible archenemy, stupid monsters...
    Honestly, there is no exploration benefits nor places where you can hide from the monsters, because you dont need it. The game takes only 3 hours to play through and there are only a few scary moments...
    It is a great game, no doubt. But it is not Amnesia
  16. Sep 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was a huge letdown for me. I didnt even finish it. To sum it up this is how I felt playing the game: Its halloween. The premier haunted house in your area is finally open. Youve been waiting a year to come here! Your last experience was very enjoyable and you cant wait to see the new and improved version. You enter, theres build up and more build up. Youre so excited! This attraction is about to get terrifiying any second! And then... theres an equipment malfunction and the power goes out. And for your safety they have to shut the place down and you have to leave. Thats what playing Amnesia:MFP is like. The original has a very special place in my heart. That sound you hear when you encounter a monster still gives me chills.I remember being in the prison and I was being chased by a monster and I was scared for my own life. No other game has done that for me. I love getting my friends to play the original and seeing the look of terror on their faces and having them say, "This is too intense man, I cant play this." This game is far from that. So much wasted potential. The best part is the intro. When nothing happens. The house is at least spooky and I liked exploring it. Once you enter the secret chamber in the cathedral the game goes to There are no surprises, no shock and awe. The environments are very linear and bland. The monsters arent threatening. They are just goofy. Pigs arent scary. The Monster animation is poor. Monsters are too easy to evade because the game alerts you when theyre nearby by making your lamp flash. The whole time I felt like I was playing some walking simulator with random earthquakes. The environment is constantly shaking whenever you complete a lame puzzle or it is used as a cheap scare tactic. Which didnt work at all and was very annoying. All the mechanics that made the first game good are gone. No tinderboxes or lamp oil. No inventory. And the worst part is there is no insanity or health meter. Big mistake. And the story isnt even interesting. I get the meaning behind it. But I dont care. I didnt want to read a novel or ponder about modern society. I wanted to play a scary game. The game made me jump once and that was because I was so bored I wasnt paying attention. The whole time I was hoping; praying the game would get better any second. That time never came. Oh yeah, and the end where all the pig monsters are released into the city was laughable. I felt like I was on a ****ty version of a disney ride. So fake and stupid. Expand
  17. Sep 10, 2013
    Ironically, this game only makes you feel unpleasant, while the first game made you squeal like a pig.

If you haven't played the first amnesia game I would highly recommend you play that one instead. If you have played it and is looking for more amnesia, or any scary game in general, I would say you're better of trying some of the many custom stories that were made for the first game, or try other games in the horror genre.

It is developed by the guys that made Dear Esther and it shows. While the atmosphere remains truthful to it's predecessor, it's not as tense, scary or stressful as the first game. Even the music is not made to scare you as it did with excellency in the original.

There are some stressful moments, but they are few and far between. Most of the game is about immersion. exploration, listening to dialogues or reading notes, which mostly seems to be written by William Shakespeare.

There are also a few puzzles, but they are not clever in any ways and most of them are either solved too quickly or they make you feel frustrated when you finally realized you've missed something that the game thinks is obvious.

There are not as many monster encounters and the monsters themselves aren't even that scary.

In conclusion I would say that this game is a toned down version of the original that focuses more on story writing and exploration, rather than trying to scare you in as many ways possible. If that sounds appealing to you, then give it a shot.

After paying full price for the ~5 hours long game I would say buy it the next time it goes on sale for maybe 50% off. It's not really worth the full price if you ask me.
  18. Sep 14, 2013
    I am really disappointed from this game. There are only several times when you are scared (one or two), and the riddles are really easy. The game is really short, about 4 hours long, and an hour of it is just the start, which doesn't include nothing. The game doesn't have the sanity system and inventory, and the lantern doesn't run out. Only when you finish the game you feel that you onlyI am really disappointed from this game. There are only several times when you are scared (one or two), and the riddles are really easy. The game is really short, about 4 hours long, and an hour of it is just the start, which doesn't include nothing. The game doesn't have the sanity system and inventory, and the lantern doesn't run out. Only when you finish the game you feel that you only started, which is really bad. I am deeply disappointed from the game. Expand
  19. Sep 13, 2013
    It was said that this installment of the Amnesia games was made to be less of an adventure game, less of a puzzler and more of a horror game. While it definitely is less of an adventure and less of a puzzler, it is NOT scarier. Not one single bit. They took out the tension that light management brought us, they took away sanity, which was one of the biggest concerns for the last Amnesia.It was said that this installment of the Amnesia games was made to be less of an adventure game, less of a puzzler and more of a horror game. While it definitely is less of an adventure and less of a puzzler, it is NOT scarier. Not one single bit. They took out the tension that light management brought us, they took away sanity, which was one of the biggest concerns for the last Amnesia. Puzzles barely exist anymore, there is some here and there but it's very simplistic. That's all bad, but what about the horror part? Oh, lord. The monsters look like fat dogs, they're tiny and wide. You never see their face, which is the scariest part of them in the concept art. They move fairly slow, and the only way they will intimidate you is if you think they are dangerous. They do horrible damage they are barely dangerous.
    All that said, the sound effects are what gave the game a rating 6 from me, the "pigs" aren't scary, but their sounds are. The sound of that insane, bloodcrazed pig will give you chills. But, when they see you, you can hop around and smile. The storyline is hands down great. Voice acting was much better in the last Amnesia, and the soundtrack is forgettable.
    Why, Frictional, WHY did you team up with The Chinese Room?! WHY?! Ugh, I'm trying so hard to like this game. But it's just much easier than the last one, and the only way for you to get scared, is by thinking its scary. Very sad, and fairly dissapointed.
  20. Sep 12, 2013
    What made "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" a great, scary game, has disappeared in "A Machine for Pigs".

- No sanity system. Being in the dark does not matter anymore. There is no urgency to find a bright spot. Looking at monsters has no effect. - The lantern is infinite. No inventory. There is no reason to explore because you can not pick up or interact with anything (except chairs ...).

- It is completely linear. Most doors and drawers are closed and do not open. There is nothing to explore, nothing to collect. You just have to go forward.
    - The puzzles are crap. It comes down to turning cranks and bring an object to the next room.
    - The lack of a voice reading the diary notes.

And it doesn't add something new. No better animations, full body view, your hand opening the doors, or whatever. Nothing.

An utter disappointment.
  21. Sep 14, 2013
    The word Amenisa needed to be dropped from the title because Machine for Pigs does a poor job to the franchise. They would've been more sucessful if they had turned it into a book or audio experience. The game play was truly lack luster compared to the original.

Having just played outlast I can say it was far superior to machine for pigs in almost every way, resource management and even a basic inventory system. AI's that follow you around. Far more scares. More gore and interesting environments to explore. I'd certainly recommend Outlast over Machine for pigs for player experience.
  22. Sep 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bigger. No. Badder. Yes.

Story -
    In a year where we are graced with games like Bioshock Infinite, Metro: Last Light and The Last of Us, how this game feels fit to use its narrative as the driving force behind the experience baffles me. Whilst it showed serious promise at first with the machine, what felt like a suitably dark story ended up as what I like to call the ME3 method. This is where the resolution to a problem simple repeats the initial problem. To spoil, the Machine for Pigs was built to kill every one because he didn't want every one to die in world war 1 and the rest of the 20th centenary...huh, well I guess being kidnapped, beaten, detoothed, stripped, bled and minced is a much better alternative to being shot, or is that just me?

Asthetic-
    If you liked the first Amnesia's repeated stone corridors and wooden beams then you'll be pleased to hear that the sequel bumps this trend by setting the majority of the game in stone TUNNELS with METAL bea...Oh for sake. Character models are passable and surprisingly well rounded for an independent project but beyond that, you'll be sprinting down the same metal paths and cobbled roads for the majority of the game.

USP-
    I am either stupid (likely) or misinformed but I always believed that the USP of Amnesia was that it was supposed to be a new horror IP in a world of grey money grabbing shooters. How fitting then that the unique selling point of the franchise has been sanded down to an initial burst before (I you not) the pigs have a banquet, you walk through excrement which the game seems to think it so dark and...wait for it, the Attack of the Electric Pig. I wish I was joking.

Conclusion-
    The story is supposed to be the main hook for AMFP but it neither delivers upon this or backs it up with better core mechanics. If you liked Dear Esther I doubt you'll like this as the game ****s itself inside out in the second and third act. Its awfully choppy with frame rate, the removed mechanics are not reinforced with anything else and it just isn't...scary. There were many times in the game where I really missed the mechanic from the Metro games to charge your lamp as the infiniy-bulb never dies, only flickers which worked once or twice but you'll soon figure out is just for affect. The only thing I can really recommend is that it is at least interesting enough to hold you to its unsatisfying conclusion and that the sound design and voice acting are well done. For £12.99 on steam you can buy the original, I'd do that if I were you.
    Chow.
  23. Oct 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a horrible excuse for a horror game, especially for Amnesia. Interacting with objects, inventory, insanity, oil, all removed. You run around with an infinite light source and your monster is a freaking mutant pig. It's like you're literally trying to find ways to scare yourself, but simply cannot. Extremely disappointed. Expand
  24. Nov 29, 2013
    I was so excited to play a sequel to Amnesia: TDD However, within the first thirty minutes of the game I realized it was complete crap. The overuse of jumpscares and the overall boring atmosphere quickly bored me. The game is so tedious, no inventory system no anything really. All it was was a walking game with a million spooky sounds. The game was so uninteresting that an hour in I got soI was so excited to play a sequel to Amnesia: TDD However, within the first thirty minutes of the game I realized it was complete crap. The overuse of jumpscares and the overall boring atmosphere quickly bored me. The game is so tedious, no inventory system no anything really. All it was was a walking game with a million spooky sounds. The game was so uninteresting that an hour in I got so bored that I uninstalled the game and hope I can erase it from my memory. It was a complete waste of my time. I don't see how the developers could be proud of this. I think I'll go back to the original Amnesia and play all the fun custom stories.

Bottom line, I would not recommend this to anyone even if the game was completely free. Its one of those games that shouldn't exist.
  25. Sep 14, 2013
    The game starts off slow and I didn't like it at all because I was such a fan of the old Amnesia, the Amnesia where you could only play for 20 minutes before having to take a rest. The game only had about a total of an hour of scare. It is definitely more of a psychological, immersive game rather than pure horror. That being said, it just isn't the game The Dark Descent was. There'sThe game starts off slow and I didn't like it at all because I was such a fan of the old Amnesia, the Amnesia where you could only play for 20 minutes before having to take a rest. The game only had about a total of an hour of scare. It is definitely more of a psychological, immersive game rather than pure horror. That being said, it just isn't the game The Dark Descent was. There's nothing new in game mechanics, nothing fanciful or fun, unlike how Frictional Games innovated with The Dark Descent.

The plot was very good though, I liked how it left many questions unanswered and many subjects up to your own interpretation. I would say the plot saved the game, it was so untypical and unorthordox that my friends and I were left wanting to find out the mystery behind what was going on throuhgout the entire game.
  26. Sep 10, 2013
    OMG are you serious? as expected it sucked. only with that hilarious name ''a machine for pigs'' what the hell were they thinking? i didn't like it at all i almost killed myself and just a few moments i got scared.
  27. Sep 12, 2013
    For having an extra year than the planned release date, this was an utter disappointment. I've never even felt so strongly to write a review before but this game was absolutely abysmal. I finished it in 3.8 hours, encountered a couple monsters, and never died. There were zero scares, which means this, as a horror game, is terrible. I am a huge fan of horror games also: the firstFor having an extra year than the planned release date, this was an utter disappointment. I've never even felt so strongly to write a review before but this game was absolutely abysmal. I finished it in 3.8 hours, encountered a couple monsters, and never died. There were zero scares, which means this, as a horror game, is terrible. I am a huge fan of horror games also: the first amnesia, nightmare house 2, cry of fear etc. This game doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the presence of those games. Biggest waste of $20. Expand
  28. Sep 12, 2013
    This game was seriously crap. EVERY SINGLE THING on The Dark Descent was epic, this game was just a masterpiece. A little unknown producer made a game that was as mindblowing as Half Life for me, when I played it the first time. It was so detailed and the engine was created so free, you were able to throw anything around and pick up anything. It have been that little details, that aren'tThis game was seriously crap. EVERY SINGLE THING on The Dark Descent was epic, this game was just a masterpiece. A little unknown producer made a game that was as mindblowing as Half Life for me, when I played it the first time. It was so detailed and the engine was created so free, you were able to throw anything around and pick up anything. It have been that little details, that aren't necessary for the whole plot but make a game more interesting and beautiful. I have to say, Amnesia The Dark Descent was one of the best games I've ever played. I was simply fascinated... I was waiting so hard for their next project, because I could clearly see how much better Frictional Games got with releasing ATDD, after Penumbra, they just got better and better. Then I bough this new Amnesia.... And I just couldnt understand how can Chinese Room and Frictional Games feel good with releasing this bunch of shi*! I start the fu***** game, and the first thing I see is an ugly intro, where i see some kind of lightenings that come out of a machine and look like it have been some crappy mod of one single person or if it had been a game from year 2000. I walk around and see that I can't take ANYTHING in this engine, only some chairs. I see that my lamp has infinite power... I see no inventory. No mental and physical condition. My reaction: WHY DIDNT U JUST USE THE SAME ENGINE AS IN DARK DESCENT AND MAKE ANOTHER STORY, THEN WE GOT A GAME THAT IS STILL 1 MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN THIS CRAPPP!!!!!! I mean seriously, we all enjoyed Justine more than this sh**. HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO FEEL AFTER RIOT WHEN WE SEE A PIANO IN A DARK DESCENT GRAPHIC GAME THAT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS DONE IN 1 MIN. THIS PIANO WASNT EVEN 3D. IT WAS JUST A BIG BAR WITH WHITE KEYS DRAWN UGLY INSIDE. I mean i feel kinda kidded by Frictional Games with releasing this. How am i supposed to react when I Dark Descent graphics mixed up with some ugly, mod-like graphics that look like being released in a game from year 2000. I cannot find anyhing good at this game, for me this is clearly 0 points Expand
  29. Sep 17, 2013
    my previous comment is pending to be revised sooner or later. my previous comment is pending to be revised sooner or later. my previous comment is pending to be revised sooner or later.
  30. Sep 17, 2013
    I come bearing sad news, gentlemen.. I've now played through the entire Machine for Pigs story, and I have found only sorrow. While Frictional Games has been doling out games full of delight for some time (Penumbra Series & The Dark Descent were amazing!), they have finally released a dud. I can't tell you all how sad and wrong I feel saying this, but it's true. I'll try to explain myI come bearing sad news, gentlemen.. I've now played through the entire Machine for Pigs story, and I have found only sorrow. While Frictional Games has been doling out games full of delight for some time (Penumbra Series & The Dark Descent were amazing!), they have finally released a dud. I can't tell you all how sad and wrong I feel saying this, but it's true. I'll try to explain my reasoning as clearly as possible.

Down to Bidness: Why is this game getting bad reviews? What should veteran players know before buying?

1. Painfully linear. The Dark Descent had a great map. You'd travel through great halls, small caverns, and terrifying corridors, all in search of the secrets behind the castle and its.. residents. While it was linear, it didn't 'feel' linear. Well, A Machine for Pigs really tried to stick with this equation. However, I ended up feeling like every room with a puzzle was simply built at random, with no reason for the randomness other than keeping you there a little longer. It almost felt like the rooms were built to extend game time, and confuse! I asked myself about 1/3 into the game... "Where's the elevator or stairwell in this place? This isn't efficient at all!" I couldn't 'place' myself there, because it was such an unrealistic build.

2. Very little narration, creating a disconnect between player and storyline. I really tried to get into the story, because Dark Descent was simply captivating. Well, don't expect awesomeness in this one. The scariest parts were at the beginning, and they're few and far between afterwards. They tried to keep the story deep, but in the end, they must have decided to focus on other game elements.

3. "6 Hours Played" on Steam. That means it took a maximum of 6 hours & 59 minutes to beat the game. I picked A Machine for Pigs up the day it arrived, because I loved all of Frictional Games' past titles. I played it for a night, put it down about half way through the game, and asked myself, "Why bother?" Well, I had faith in Frictional, so I decided I owed it to them to play through it entirely. Upon finishing it the next day, I felt really frustrated that I had wasted my money, uninstalled the game, and tried to wipe it from my mind as well. It had no depth. You simply walked through spoooooky rooms in order to complete easy puzzles to complete this lazily-described mission which you were not invested in... It broke my leetle heart.

4. My greatest disappointment: No more tinderboxes, and your lantern has unlimited oil... Can you believe that? These items were the one thing that made searching through drawers and side rooms interesting. There's no longer a point in going off exploring, because you won't find anything of value.

5. It's just not as scary. Frictional Games seemed to focus this game more on shock horror than the fear of the unknown. A Machine for Pigs felt like a one-trick pony.

6. Physics were 'dumbed down' from Dark Descent. Did you enjoy throwing such items as bottles, plates, and statuettes in the first Amnesia as much as I did? Well, prepare for disappointment. Throughout the game, you can pick up very few random items past chairs. Why?

7. No more inventory system. You can no longer pick up and hold onto items in your backpack that may be helpful later in the game. You pick items up with your cursor, walk them through a room, and that's it. No more health/sanity meter either. Nothing.

8. No sanity meter no character freak-outs. I don't know if this was a glitch on my system, because I want to believe it was... But the main character rarely freaks out. You have no real need for the lantern, or lighting up rooms. You won't start to hear cracking eggshells, nor will the screen get blurry, with heavy breathing coming through your character's lips. This was such a valuable element from Dark Descent.

9. Everything is really dark. It just doesn't look as pretty as the first Amnesia, since you must use your lantern to see any colors past this blue/green/black filter they've added. You can change the gamma, but you'll never stop squinting to see what's in front of you. You won't care to by the end, because there's little to see in any case.

Conclusions: It felt like a console game ported to PC! It felt dumbed down. It's strange, but it felt like I was playing Bioshock with how it was set up. It played like a clunky Bioshock, minus guns. This game is a far cry from its predecessors. It seems thrown together, and created simply to make money, while the 'Amnesia' stamp promised us all greatness.I'm beyond disappointed, since I trusted Frictional Games with $20. I will certainly buy their next game whenever it releases, because Frictional Games still deserves it in my book! However, not until I see positive reviews. I hate to be harsh, but A Machine for Pigs was a waste of my hard-earned money, which is becoming increasingly difficult to come by nowadays.

I yearn to see the positives of this game, but truly, it's a step backwards.
  31. Sep 12, 2013
    compared to The Dark Decent it is a terrible game, but to those who have not seen or played the game it would be scary. The game had no 'True' puzzles and i have seen the game streamed live on Twitch.TV and i did not find the game scary at all and com pared to games like F.E.A.R (the first one), Clive Barkers Jericho, and Alan Wake it couldn't hold a lantern to it. the o,y thing it hadcompared to The Dark Decent it is a terrible game, but to those who have not seen or played the game it would be scary. The game had no 'True' puzzles and i have seen the game streamed live on Twitch.TV and i did not find the game scary at all and com pared to games like F.E.A.R (the first one), Clive Barkers Jericho, and Alan Wake it couldn't hold a lantern to it. the o,y thing it had were mediocre jump scares that Doom 3 did better. Expand
  32. Sep 15, 2013
    This game is designed to satisfy stupid people. There is no logic, puzzles are kiddengarden class. Noting is scary, generally so much dead pigs are not scary. It had good potential but its not used properly. Don't spend money on this. Play amnesia dark descent and don't waste time on this. Not worthy even time for being downloaded on piratebay.
  33. Sep 17, 2013
    Storyline: AMFP's story is morbidly excellent just like its predecessor. Not your typical horror story.

Quality/Appearance: For those who played Dark Descent, it's pretty obvious for us that it improved. And for those who haven't, it's roughly good. Although, I have observed some recycled skins and objects while playing so I'll just assume that somebody got lazy. Music/Sounds: What I

Music/Sounds: What I loved about this game is the BGM. Especially the drama-enhancing opera BGM that plays on certain scenes. Shivers are sure to be sent down thy spines while thou art listening. Don't know what I'm talking about? Play the game.

Gameplay: Now this is where AMFP fell behind. I have seen a lot of angry questions thrown at the game, and I would like to analyze and comment on each of those questions that i saw.

1.) WHERE THE HELL IS THE SANITY METER?
    - I too asked this myself. Why would they remove the sanity meter? Is our protagonist just too uber-manly to be scared? Or is it because parental love overshadow fear? I would like to believe with the latter idea. However, it is a bad move for AMFP to remove this game mechanic because it was the one that was actually inducing fear to the players. It was the one who was ordering the players to be scared.

2.) WHERE THE HELL IS MY INVENTORY?
    - I kept on pressing tab until I realized that it was all for naught. Apparently, our protagonist doesn't like to carry anything at all. Unlike Daniel (Dark Descent), our protagonist for AMFP can't lift non-important things such as vases, jars, hammers, etc. This one wasn't exactly the case because there are still instances when you're required to put this there and combine this with that. But if I was the one who was scouring a dark and blood-spattered hallway? I would like to hold on to something just in case I need to throw something on something. Something-ception.

3.) WHY CAN'T I HOLD ANYTHING?
    -See number 2. tl;dr? Daniel lifts and this one doesn't.

4.) WHY IS MY LANTERN NOT RUNNING OUT OF OIL?!
    - One word. Batteries. LOLjk. This took out the challenge though. It took out the "you-are-surviving-so-you-should-save-supplies-so-you-could-die-another-day" idea.

5.) WHERE ARE THE TINDERBOXES AND LAUDANUM?
    - Yes! You can't light candles and chandeliers anymore. Yes! You don't need a drugged herbal elixir to cure your injuries anymore. Apparently, you got Wolverine's regeneration ability and you're injuries just close up in just a matter of seconds. And who needs candles when you got a battery-powered lantern?

Horror Factors: Expect jumpscares, panic-inducing moments, and of course, the dark and gruesome surroundings.

Conclusion: Although AMFP lacked challenge, its story was well-written and it can still give you nightmares. However, Amnesia: The Dark Descent was hands down, better.

Final Score: 8/10
  34. Sep 28, 2013
    This game is practically a Gmod horror map except the puzzles are easier. The main enemy is spooky pig men. I would probably be scared if I was still in my youth. But honestly. This should be a free to play game for what you get, it's practically a poorly made expansion pack. Also the game is 2-3 hours long unless you've got the brain of a chimp. If you're really eager to play the gameThis game is practically a Gmod horror map except the puzzles are easier. The main enemy is spooky pig men. I would probably be scared if I was still in my youth. But honestly. This should be a free to play game for what you get, it's practically a poorly made expansion pack. Also the game is 2-3 hours long unless you've got the brain of a chimp. If you're really eager to play the game just pirate it. They don't deserve your money. Expand
  35. Sep 12, 2013
    I never played the original Amnesia so I can't compare this game to the first. But I can say that this game isn't horrible. I thought the setting and sounds were really very well done. I thought the creatures could have been perhaps a little scarier or at least more persistent. This game is basically a visual book. The interactivity with objects is very limited and becomes almost nonI never played the original Amnesia so I can't compare this game to the first. But I can say that this game isn't horrible. I thought the setting and sounds were really very well done. I thought the creatures could have been perhaps a little scarier or at least more persistent. This game is basically a visual book. The interactivity with objects is very limited and becomes almost non existent later in the game. Which I couldn't complain about because tediously opening drawers on a single desk in hopes of finding a note wasn't terribly rewarding.

This type of genre would thrive off of increased interactivity. If you could throw objects in front of enemies chasing you and slide desks to block off doors or even just brace against a door while you try to think of a plan to escape. But this game doesn't take hold of the potential that is there. In a game with no guns to use or bullets and explosion physics to figure out I would hope the developers would take the time to actually make a world that is highly interactive. The only things I recall being able to interact with in the game are doors, some windows, chairs, and puzzle specific objects. Including levers, wheels, and fuses/canisters.

As much as I like the atmosphere, it was difficult to figure out what was going on or what happened. Sometimes something is explained in a note you found or a voice you remember but generally, especially near the end of the game, inexplicable things start happening that just made me think "what is going on? Why is that there?" Was Mandus hallucinating? I don't know.

I feel like I bought an expensive book. I wish the game were longer, the enemies were smarter, and that I could interact with and move almost anything around in the game that isn't bolted to the floor. On another note I wish you could see your characters hands and body as well when you looked down and did stuff. I decided to pick amnesia: A Machine for Pigs over Outlast, due to how popular the first amnesia seemed to be, but I'm fairly disappointed with the result.
  36. Sep 17, 2013
    Wow. What can I say. Disappointment, disappointment, disappointment. That is the word that keeps popping up in my mind. And shame on you critics for having the audacity of rating this game anywhere above a 5. I hope you enjoyed your royalty check. There is no way anyone who plays video games and critiques them for a living can say with an honest heart this game is acceptable in quality.Wow. What can I say. Disappointment, disappointment, disappointment. That is the word that keeps popping up in my mind. And shame on you critics for having the audacity of rating this game anywhere above a 5. I hope you enjoyed your royalty check. There is no way anyone who plays video games and critiques them for a living can say with an honest heart this game is acceptable in quality. Even if the original one did not exist. So many things wrong and excuse me for comparing it with the first one but it just makes it easier to point out what is wrong with it.

First off the story is a jumbled mess. One of features of the original one which made it so fun was they was Daniel was telling himself the story of how he got to where he was. I mean you had an actual voice actor reading it out to you and that helped build intrigue and mystery. It was told in a coherent and orderly fashion that was easy to follow as well. In AMFP (A Machine For Pigs) there is no narration. It is speckled with "recordings" that sorta tell you what is going on along with notes found here and there but no narration. The original actually had notes like this as well but with the narration it was much easier to follow and much more interesting. What any one worth their weight in the story telling business will tell you is the biggest killer of a story is creating apathy for the characters to the audience. If no one cares what happens then no tension can be built up.

The other thing that was missing that the original has was it was just too darn easy. No real puzzles that posed any real challenge, It was ridiculously easy to circumvent the monsters, and you had infinite light! One of the greatest aspects of the original one was how you had to collect oil and tinder boxes to light your way and you had to watch how many you had. In this one your lantern lasts forever. Also they completely eliminated the insanity factor which was another huge tension builder of the game. But the half ass puzzles is what really gives away that they really put no real effort into this game at all.

I would not recommend this game if you really liked the original. It holds nothing of what made the original great and I never got spooked one time from it. I played the original last week to get myself siked up for the release of this which I had pre-bought and it STILL made me jumped and I have played the game through about three times already! I can't express just how bad of a disappointment (there goes that word again) this game is. I'm thinking about asking for my money back. That's how bad it is. Do not waste your time or money on this game.
  37. Sep 12, 2013
    Oh, this game is so bad! The biggest disappointment of the whole year! I'm a huge fan of Amnesia The Dark Descent, and I found A machine for pigs just terrible. I wanted a new Amnesia game, not Dear Esther.
  38. Sep 11, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is... for starters so full of horror ambient sounds that my brain just went "This is noise, ignore it."
    Don't get me wrong. The quality of the ambience is top notch but it feels like it was just pasted on there after the gameplay of a level was considered "done".

Level design is a complete mess. The levels are incredibly hard to navigate through since they're not as linear as they should be but instead you have loops upon loops that just take you back to where you were. That mixed with the overly generic look of the levels means that you'll spend half of the time just running around in circles.

The game is also completely lacking an inventory. Which leads to item based puzzles being extremely easy since you don't have to carry anything around for a while. Nor do you need to mix items together.
    There are some areas where you do mix two items into one but its all done in the world. Anything that's outside of an inventory screen doesn't give you necessary feedback to tell you that A B C and you end up mixing the items with no intention to do so. That in turn doesn't give you any pleasure of figuring it out since there was no figuring out to begin with.

The game doesn't give you a need to do anything. You just haphazardly try different things until you succeed and open up another area where you just repeat the same process. I felt like a monkey in a spaceship "I've no clue wtf I'm doing but it seems to work!" pulling on random levers just to see what it does.

All in all it's like a scary ride at a local fare. You have no say to what's going on around you and you just watch scripted scene after another.
    Did the developers forget they were making a game?
  39. Sep 21, 2013
    The Amnesia series Prides itself on doing something different and well the developers have managed to a pretty decent job on the latest game.
    Despite the ridiculously stupid monsters (flawed AI) and Childish puzzles, The Atmosphere is fantastic, the story engaging (but ultimately predictable) and the Sound design is absolutely brilliant..
    I'm sure all the hardcore horror fans will be
    I'm sure all the hardcore horror fans will be disappointed, especially with the first game The Dark Descent being a masterpiece but the psychological horror that this game imparts along with its deeply disturbing and gruesome story line is what makes this game so unique.

Granted, the monster encounters are few, the puzzles are annoyingly stupid and some level designs become repetitive but it does what is sets out to do Manages to keep a perfect balance of psychological horror and story telling (that is if you are patient enough to read and comprehend all the notes).

The fear, the dread that someone is ready to pounce on you( like in TDD )is always there but some of the horror is sucked out as the game warns you of the presence of/ approaching enemies...However its hauntingly beautiful atmosphere along with a brilliant sound design makes up for that in a way.
    The atmosphere (sudden clunking of the machinery,winds,distant screams and many more all in the perfect location (Victorian Era England)) has been portrayed beautifully.. The music score by Jessica Curry is simply incredible and is worth buying alone.

The inclusion of the sanity mechanic and more interactions with the surrounding environment would have made this game much better no doubt It also made sense to have a lantern that does not die out frequently during the age of the Industrial Revolution but making it everlasting was a bad call. There are bugs and glitches but they don't hamper your gaming experience too often. During its course the game reminds you of some of the elements of the dark descent in an interesting way.

All in all,This game should not be played in a hurry nor should it be compared to the incredible level of its predecessor for it delivers a relatively different experience.. It should be played cause it manages to experiment and succeed in many aspects that the horror genre has paid little attention to ,considering The motive has always been to 'scare'....
    A Machine for Pigs is a pretty looking game set in a fascinating era and has been portrayed beautifully. It definitely does not come even close to scaring you like its predecessor but is definitely worth playing once for its unique experience.
    Just wait for Steam to reduce its current price.
  40. Sep 16, 2013
    Game is unfortunately woefully undercooked. The story backdrop is intriguing, but for a game that clocks in at around 4 hours, oddly somehow manages to outstay it's welcome in record time. I guess that's the next thing to mention: to call this game 'a short experience' is a gross understatement. The locale should lend itself to more intriguing environments than ATDD, yet somehow reallyGame is unfortunately woefully undercooked. The story backdrop is intriguing, but for a game that clocks in at around 4 hours, oddly somehow manages to outstay it's welcome in record time. I guess that's the next thing to mention: to call this game 'a short experience' is a gross understatement. The locale should lend itself to more intriguing environments than ATDD, yet somehow really fails to capitalize on this. I think part of this is simply 'level' design. There is no exploration to take advantage of as the player is herded down abbreviated corridors from door A to B, stripping the player of any feeling of discovery. This design also deflates another Amnesia staple: the cat and mouse. Enemies by nature of the level (read: tunnel) design, must spawn/monster box the player from behind. The player then just continues down the predetermined path he was already on to begin with... Players are not even trusted with an escape mechanic (figuring out how to manipulate something or block a door to prevent the adversary's advance. Either a gate inexplicably falls preventing the monster's advancement, or the door itself activates a loading screen. Now, as there are essentially no game mechanics, there is only the story for the player. Does it deliver? Despite some nicely written pages revealing the grim industry of the machine, No. The central mystery that kicks off the tale and provides impetus for the character's decent, will be seen through immediately upon it's introduction and it's continuous method of delivery. As grating as grinding your way towards this reveal is, the secondary plot reveal is thinly veiled as well and is EXACTLY the central twist in a much more popular and successful game. Expand
  41. Sep 25, 2013
    5/10 Amnesia 2 is just a tame, melancholic walk through, a second a rate sequel( perhaps a let down is expected as it is a sequel?).

+++ Great concept, Excellent art and imagery Sound is good but (prefer it's predecessor's score), Decent level design. --- Massive Culling of parts from original no more: sanity, fear of death, need to scout and explore,Items, Interaction with

--- Massive Culling of parts from original no more: sanity, fear of death, need to scout and explore,Items, Interaction with environment, linear gameplay and design (so some will need to stock up on drink, another expense...) Not 'THAT' great or original, or at all complex story. No decent puzzles (all puzzles are things you would be able to do in your sleep...) No Fear... Too short! (Finishing it and finding it lasts 5-7 hrs and that you will never play it again... It IS 'a Machine for Pigs'.

I felt compelled to write a review on here as I have just run through and found my self EXTREMELY disappointed with this supposed 'sequel' to the 'Dark Descent'. Yes as noted, this is not the same game, but it has all the same hall marks, most of the same engine despite most objects are not inter-actable, which kills any dream of a good puzzle or any fast paced desk and cupboard choreography of sealing doors as you run from your nemesis; Only a hoping you reach a 'check point' in time. A 'Game for the Industry' I would call it, not the 'Machine for Pigs'... Only a shame it carries the same name...

So the game is linear, and keeps on going with no reward for wander? and no adrenaline pumping chases? So what does it have? I will be the first to admit, all the work has been diverted away from any form of challenge, game wise, to the art side, the story and some kind of On the rails', 'Cinema-interactive experience'. The concept idea is great, the textures and the levels are beautiful, the story... is not as good or any where as compelling as Amnesia 1 and those who think it is because of the skill of the developers, please dont say it is, because it is a wandering video-game-story on its own, which mounts a great deal of weight on the 'story' side of the game and the 'pretties' side which mean both need to make up for the 'not alot happens' side and 'absent risk' and 'absent counter-interaction' side, resulting in linear-boring traipsing around with no need to worry about that *clink* or a door opening with a creepy sound Which was what Amnesia 1 had in spades and probably was the reason why it worked. They must admit then that this game is a joke in-comparison to the original because IT IS NO LONGER A GAME, but some kind of an interactive story; for that I hate it. A Machine for Pigs.

But with all the art... the idea of this 'thing'... and the way the place looks they should be commended. The gameplay is not bad either, the engine still feels nice to use. However, I do believe they could have done better with the story, it is not all that compelling and I didn't feel drawn to know what happened(or perhaps I was bored? Or busy browsing the imagery?), it is not particularly original: I must have it and 'will' myself to do this It gave me a head ache and felt like screaming at the screen, "So... why are you living again? What did you come here to achieve??!..." And there it kind of kills the need for there to be a story, other than this magnificent 'THING' Its just 'A to B'. A Machine for Pigs...

In retrospect, Maybe it is because there is not enough detail and I find the story lacks 'something' (no! not more pretties! Some detail, a part of the story, some plot or perhaps an occurrence of something). Or perhaps more detail to justify the man's love for his

5/ 10 for this as this game is not complete. Personally as we are talking about something that is on sale on a market I think this game is worth £5 max. And I bought it pre-order lured on by the fact that I expected another 'Dark Descent', perhaps extended. This is not Dark Descent to my woe! It should be noted that it is worth 5 hrs play time, after that, other than if your a plank or you want to look deeper at the textures and level design, then the game is made redundant. I did question my self, does it have multiple paths? I am certain it does not... Even then the main mechanics of the game have been culled and it is left as a pig farm after a 'foot and mouth' virus out break.

I do not feel a desire to follow 'The Chinese room' if this what they make... and I am unsure what Frictional plan now... If it was meant to be some stupid story... so be it, I will plead guilty of ignorance and hope I will pay attention the next time, despite the fact Amnesia the Dark Descent was such a good 'game'... In fact I would suggest new players to stick with The Dark Descent and Download from Desura or online the countless number of excellent user made maps (Whitenight Btw is like this rubbish and a walkthrough, Frictional Games rewarded those people for that scenario in a competition(how ironic Amnesia 2 is just like it... What were they thinking!??)).
  42. Sep 26, 2013
    Not a bad game, but not nearly as good as Dark Descent was. Too straightforward and not even that scary. There is little to interact with the environment, basically only those imperative items could be picked up, unlike in Dark Descent where you could pick up pretty much everything. All in all, a bit of a let down.
  43. Sep 12, 2013
    This might be a disappointment to any fan of the first amnesia game. Machine for Pigs does have the elements, soundtrack, atmosphere and story to pull off as a amazing psychological horror experience, however it was just pulled off poorly. They stripped down a lot from what made dark descent spectacular and scary.

Machine For Pigs you just felt like you weren't even being challenged at

Machine For Pigs you just felt like you weren't even being challenged at all, there were no puzzles or obstacles that you had to overcome, sure you had to get around a few enemies but that was very few and those moments were nothing but "meh."

For me I am usually a guy who likes to explore and discover, but I honestly felt no desire to learn about the place I am in or the history of the machine or to learn about what happened, cause they scribble all the details and stories into all these notes (which are the only kind of items you pick up in the game, that's it) and that I really was confused reading. I maybe a guy who doesn't read much but I do like good stories but reading those notes were a bore and left me confused, felt like maybe my mind isn't smart enough to understand, whatever..I just didn't bother reading those notes.

Anyway, game is a disappointment. The only greats about this game are the soundtrack which is quite beautiful to listen to acutally, atmosphere and the whole steampunk environment was well designed and the story is not bad. But obviously the developers of the chineseroom concentrated too much making a more dear esther like game than what Dark Descent was.
  44. Sep 19, 2013
    Although it's not a survival horror, as other reviews have mentioned, the writing is excellent and all the horror elements of good fiction are there. The ending is thought-provoking, if not slightly unclear as to how it all comes to a close. The play-time is incredibly short, however, and I can't help but think it would be better served at a lower price-point. After a three-hour game, mostAlthough it's not a survival horror, as other reviews have mentioned, the writing is excellent and all the horror elements of good fiction are there. The ending is thought-provoking, if not slightly unclear as to how it all comes to a close. The play-time is incredibly short, however, and I can't help but think it would be better served at a lower price-point. After a three-hour game, most gamers might think $10 is a better investment. A Machine for Pigs is little more than interactive cinema; there is some risk of the character's death, but it's ultimately inconsequential, since the player restarts very close to the point of death and the creature who did the killing is then no longer present.

I enjoyed it. Like I said, the writing is worth the price of admission, particularly the bits between screen loads which are deftly written, full of excellent imagery. But still way too short for a game with no replay potential.
  45. Sep 15, 2013
    This being all about the atmosphere, I find myself missing the puzzles and monsters from the first game.The skill and money going into this game has focused on creating a range of spooky atmospheres. You have a creepy old house, a church, sewers, etc. With headphones on and in a darkened room this game is definitely creepy. The storyline is great and the game allows you to explore theThis being all about the atmosphere, I find myself missing the puzzles and monsters from the first game.The skill and money going into this game has focused on creating a range of spooky atmospheres. You have a creepy old house, a church, sewers, etc. With headphones on and in a darkened room this game is definitely creepy. The storyline is great and the game allows you to explore the areas you travel through. However you simply don't DO much in this sequel. There are puzzles in this game but to be honest none of them are particularly challenging nor interesting. There are monsters too but they are not as unique and original as in the first game. So if you like creepy atmopsheres and a good horror storyline you should enjoy this sequel, that is the focus of the game. If you want challenging and interesting puzzles in addition to that I am not so sure you will enjoy it. 'A Machine for Pigs' is not a bad horror game by any means but it doesn't live up to the original, it feels 'average'. In fact my favourite horror game so far in 2013 is 'Outlast', it was far more interesting and unique than 'A Machine for Pigs'. Expand
  46. Sep 23, 2013
    I remember monotonous pipes, pigs, mind-numbingly boring puzzles, Bioshock, pigmen, surreal, nasty, visceral writing, blood, the church, a vague ending.
  47. Sep 12, 2013
    Amnesia A Machine for Pigs was one of my most anticipated games. I loved The Dark Descent and the Penumbra series. So I thought it can't go wrong. This game was made by The Chinese Room (Dear Esther), not by Frictional Games. The music composer is Jessica Curry, not Mikko Tarmia. I loved Tarmia's work in Amnesia. But I was hoping. "Don't be afraid, it will be all right." Said to myself. IAmnesia A Machine for Pigs was one of my most anticipated games. I loved The Dark Descent and the Penumbra series. So I thought it can't go wrong. This game was made by The Chinese Room (Dear Esther), not by Frictional Games. The music composer is Jessica Curry, not Mikko Tarmia. I loved Tarmia's work in Amnesia. But I was hoping. "Don't be afraid, it will be all right." Said to myself. I got the game, I played it through in 5 hours and... oh, my heart broke. This was not, what I expected. The story was pretty good and twisty, the graphics are nice (not very modern, similar to The Dark Descent, but stylish and has high variety of areas). The sound effects are top-notch... BUT! Not very scary. The machines, the environmental sounds, the weird noises were not enough to make me feel I play with the first game.

The feeling was not right. The enemies are very easy to avoid, I played it through without dying. The puzzles are simple. There is no inventory (and I didn't really miss it), no sanity-meter, and there is infinite portable light source. The light source was a bad thing. It can be always on. It gave more safety feel. Ah, what a missed opportunity.

The story, the main character, the areas were all right, but they torn out the heart of the "machine". They torn out, what made the first game that good. I'm very disappointed. I wanted to love the game. And I still don't say, it's bad. But it's not scary. It's a good game about madness, exploration, science, swines, and children... But it is short, it is not what I really waited for. I'm frustrated. I really hoped they'll do it right. I really hope, next Amnesia game will be made only by Frictional Games. I want Mikko Tarmia back (well, Jessica Curry was good in her way, but it didn't made that scary, depressing atmosphere, I feel she didn't want to...). I want to feel the fear again. I want them to fix the gears of that machine, the machine, the heart, that made Amnesia The Dark Descent a great experience.
    No... I don't have problem with The Chinese Room. But if they make the next Amnesia, yes, I really want a next Amnesia, please, do it right.

There was so much potential in this one, but they unfortunately, missed the chance. It broke my heart...
  48. Sep 17, 2013
    Esto es una crítica SUBJETIVA tras finalizar el juego. (Spanish critic) LO BUENO: Gran ambientación e historia y enemigos que te ponen los pelos de punta. LO MALO: Que lo bueno es solo eso y que tiene una duración ridícula. Es una pena que a una gran historia como la que se va desvelando a lo largo del juego (gran parte a través de las notas) no se le haya sabido dar un juego mejo mejor.Esto es una crítica SUBJETIVA tras finalizar el juego. (Spanish critic) LO BUENO: Gran ambientación e historia y enemigos que te ponen los pelos de punta. LO MALO: Que lo bueno es solo eso y que tiene una duración ridícula. Es una pena que a una gran historia como la que se va desvelando a lo largo del juego (gran parte a través de las notas) no se le haya sabido dar un juego mejo mejor. Creo que habría sido más productivo crear una novela que haber diseñado todo un juego; porque eso es Amnesia: A machine for pigs, una novela interactiva.

Tanto las cosas buenas como las malas que he escrito sobre el juego se las ha ganado por méritos propios, pero hay que reconocer que en parte el ''tortazo'' que se ha dado ha sido por ser el sucesor de un juego que dejó el listón más alto y de cuya secuela por lo tanto se iba a esperar mucho más. Pasillos lineales llenos de puertas de adorno, cuatro enemigos a lo largo del juego, supresión del inventario (y lo que ello conlleva), farol con luz infinita (menos tensión), puzzles basados únicamente en mover objetos y, eso sí, una ambientación muy lograda seguida de una gran historia. Si lo que buscas es un juego con el que pasar momentos de tensión o lo que es peor, una experiencia como la que se tuvo con Amnesia: The dark descent, aquí no la vas a encontrar; si por el contrario te dejas llevar por una lograda atmósfera y una historia que te hace pensar, entonces píllalo (aunque es más bien de esos juegos que es mejor alquilar si se pudiera...) ya que no es muy caro (según se mire, claro). Collapse
  49. Sep 23, 2013
    This game in no way feels like a Frictional title, probably because it was developed by "The Chinese Room". Which created Dear Esther for the full steam release around last year. But all aside this game is not a survival horror, which in many ways disappointed me when I played it. Instead it is a rehash of Amnesia the Dark Descent but dumbed down to a point where survival is not aThis game in no way feels like a Frictional title, probably because it was developed by "The Chinese Room". Which created Dear Esther for the full steam release around last year. But all aside this game is not a survival horror, which in many ways disappointed me when I played it. Instead it is a rehash of Amnesia the Dark Descent but dumbed down to a point where survival is not a challenge in the game. The only good thing that came out of Amnesia A Machine for Pigs was the story. Well yes there are some parts that seemed mildly stupid, but in all it was a somewhat deep and disturbing tale. This game almost ruined The Chinese Room and Frictional Game's reputation in my mind. But its not the worst that could happen. Expand
  50. Sep 24, 2013
    Should you buy this game? If you're new to the Amnesia franchise or horror games in general, yes, totally. If you're already huge fan of Amnesia: the Dark Descent and you have high hopes and expectations for the sequel, maybe not.

Had I known nothing about the previous games in the series, I would have reviewed it as a 9/10. It would have stood better on its own than being presented as a sequel. I was disappointed when my expectations set by The Dark Descent were not met. I'm like a kid at Christmas who got a parrot instead of a puppy. Mom and dad, this is cool, but I wanted someone to play fetch with!

In the Dark Descent, I was crippled by fear, afraid open the door to the next room, but I was so terribly curious what would be revealed next. I found this quality of tension and mystery lacking in a Machine for Pigs (MFP). What is rewarding about MFP is the deeper philosophical question it raises. "How does society treat those who we view as second-class citizens? How do I treat them?"

Secondly, it might seem minor, but I was highly disappointed that I couldn't tear books off shelves in MFP. You can only interact with items that are important to progressing to the next area. This breaks the immersion. I found that I actually missed the complex puzzles and hunt for hidden items.

Lastly, the absolute terror of the monsters is gone. This is due to familiarity. You could never get a clear look at the horror chasing you through Dark Descent, or figure out where and when it would show up next. The monsters in MFP quickly become familiar, predictable, easily avoided. There's no hiding; you just avoid their path. The horror is not in them sneaking up on you, but what they represent.

So, you're buying it anyway? Try to approach this game with an open mind, and you'll enjoy it.
  51. Sep 25, 2013
    Amnesia Machine For Pigs will move you. Don't expect a re-harsh of Dark Descent. This might as well be its own game. Very compelling, beautifully crafted, and scary as hell. Buy this one if you are truly ready to move to the next level of story telling and game play. A must to experience....Here piggy piggy...
  52. Oct 2, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs has proven to be quite a scary horror game. The environment, and the quality of the sounds, and stories invokes a feeling of dread on the player, the game itself has plenty of jumps, and scares despite what a lot of people have been saying. The game itself has some minor graphic improvements, however they also aimed to expand this game to people with lower-endAmnesia: A Machine for Pigs has proven to be quite a scary horror game. The environment, and the quality of the sounds, and stories invokes a feeling of dread on the player, the game itself has plenty of jumps, and scares despite what a lot of people have been saying. The game itself has some minor graphic improvements, however they also aimed to expand this game to people with lower-end computers, removing the physics attributes for a lot of unimportant in game scenery. All in all, I would highly recommend this game to anyone. Expand
  53. Jan 28, 2014
    Not even scary... A huge disappoitment for me. This game has lots of bugs and one of them was that in one part of the game when the watermonster was chasing me. It wasn't in water but was still able to chase me. Then the pigs just look stupid and walk like idiots. only scary thing about this game was the noises that pigs made. The thing i hated most was the place where i had to find 3Not even scary... A huge disappoitment for me. This game has lots of bugs and one of them was that in one part of the game when the watermonster was chasing me. It wasn't in water but was still able to chase me. Then the pigs just look stupid and walk like idiots. only scary thing about this game was the noises that pigs made. The thing i hated most was the place where i had to find 3 strange bottle things and put them in to strange machine... But i was able to put only one of them and i was stuck because i was supposed to not find all of those bottle things. YEAH that wasn't the thing you were supposed to do. After you have placed one of them in to that machine there suddently just appears path somewhere. How was i supposed to know that? Expand
  54. Sep 15, 2014
    Do you want a trully unique horror experience? Then grab this game, because the horror in there is not based on simple jump-scares, but rather on terrifying story! The story presented in this game is a true masterpiece, bautifuly voice-acted with awesome soundtrack. Atmosphere is dark and disturbing. Just play it in night with a candle and you will see :)
  55. Sep 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. j'ai vraiment était déçu par ce nouvel Amnesia, que dire si ce n'est que je me suis ennuyé quasiment tout du long, je m'attendais a chié dans mon froc, et au finale rien du tout le jeu ressemble plus a un jeu d’énigme qu'a un jeu sensé faire peur, très linaire et énigme facile, des tonnes et des tonnes de note a lire, qui en deviens lassant et que l'on fini par zapper. graphiquement il s'agit du même moteur que le 1er du nom, rien n'a était amélioré et déjà a l'époque le moteur graphique faisait sont age, alors a l'heure d'aujourd'hui je ne vous raconte même pas, la bande son quand a elle est pas mal, elle relève un peu le niveau, et quand a la duré de vie il ne m'a fallu que 3h pour finir le jeu, c'est court certes, mais déjà bien assez long, tant on s'ennuie et qu'il nous tarde de finir ce jeu pour passé a autre chose. Un conseil, si vous chercher un jeu ou votre caleçon s'en souviendra foncé sur "OUTLAST" bien meilleur a tout niveau. Expand
  56. Sep 11, 2013
    Yes, I played the original. Yes this is just as good. Where gameplay has been simplified, improved story telling has taken its place. Where jump scares have decreased, improved atmosphere and dread has taken its place.

It is not another Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

It is instead Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.

And thank you, The Chinese Room and Frictional, for that.
  57. Sep 15, 2013
    What to say about Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs... It is definable not like a dark descent, but it is much, much deeper in story. If you are someone who flew through a dark descent with out reading anything then I am certain this game is not for you! But if you did read and enjoyed the story in a dark descent, You will most likely enjoy Machine for pigs. It has a wonderful deep story butWhat to say about Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs... It is definable not like a dark descent, but it is much, much deeper in story. If you are someone who flew through a dark descent with out reading anything then I am certain this game is not for you! But if you did read and enjoyed the story in a dark descent, You will most likely enjoy Machine for pigs. It has a wonderful deep story but lacks in the strong horror elements that made a dark descent so great. I'm not gonna call this a spoiler because it is so obvious, in the game their are pigs, as someone who has had pigs and had pigs slaughtered made this game particularly not frightening. But, the story was so good that I enjoyed it anyways.

For pure horror: skip it
    For a great interactive story experience: play it
  58. Sep 29, 2013
    Approach this not as a game but as a novella, or any other literary form, and you'll be very pleasantly surprised. It's not a better game than the original, but it's a better everything else.

A slightly snotty warning: If you have no idea who Ambrose Bierce was, or his contemporaries, maybe go buy the new GTA, instead.
  59. Sep 14, 2013
    The only real horror that I experienced in this game that was advertised with a terrifying journey into madness, industrialisation and the darkest secrets of the soul. was the realisation after completing this boring piece of garbage that I actually paid money for it.
    I could not believe that it would be this bad, but really, it is not scary at all. The only gameplay consists of the occasional turning of some valves. And the overarching storyline that gives AaMfP some points with the critics... meh. "The whole world will be destroyed". Good Lord, I never have heard that before.
  60. Sep 12, 2013
    This is one of the most unique games ever created. Bold, daring and ambitious, although it has some debatable setbacks, it's essence is something you do not see in a video game. It is created and crafted with love, which is witnessed in the attention of the slightest details, every little bit of this game tells a story, shows us a full-blooded world. The only thing I wish was dread momentsThis is one of the most unique games ever created. Bold, daring and ambitious, although it has some debatable setbacks, it's essence is something you do not see in a video game. It is created and crafted with love, which is witnessed in the attention of the slightest details, every little bit of this game tells a story, shows us a full-blooded world. The only thing I wish was dread moments which were present in first Amnesia and Penumbra, which this game desperately needed. If that was included with some more polish with basic gameplay mechanics, and maybe some plot-point alterations, this would have been a perfect game.
    Don't take notice of the consistent whining about lack of inventory, sanity system or puzzles; This game offers much more than those trivialities.
  61. Sep 19, 2013
    It aspires to be an interactive story without an inventory or sanity effects and without the intimidating enemy's of the first the best the game can do to horrify is flicker the lights shake the camera and abuse the audio.

The simple and obvious fact is the amnesia devs sold out and outsourced large portions of the game to the dev team of dear esther, an interactive story can be great, but that's not what amnesia was and it's not what was promised.

Please skip this game, don't reward this kind of behavior grab outlast instead it has faults but it stays very true to the genre and brims with the passion and care of it's team.
  62. Sep 13, 2013
    This is not Amnesia. The trailer for this game was a complete lie and showed Amnesia type gameplay. This game is nothing like the trailer. Someone decided to make a quick buck by taking the Amnesia title and slap it on their own product, or Frictional decided to sell their title and let someone slap it onto a different game.
  63. Sep 18, 2013
    Overall, this game was a big time disappointment for me. Machine for Pigs is at most 20% as scary as The Dark Descent. All of the major changes to the play mechanics add up to make this game suck. I blame it on the developer The Chinese Room, and not Frictional Games. This team up was a bad idea.
    Negatives: Removal of an inventory. No more lantern oil. Staying in shadows no longer increases your insanity. You can look at the enemies without penalty. You run away from enemies easily. Unreadable font used for notes and journal entries. I found the story somewhat interesting, but boring in the end. Scare events were not executed well.
    Positives: Better game engine. Larger levels. Good music. Good voice acting. Okay story.
  64. Sep 10, 2013
    After completing the game in just 4 hours I have mixed feelings about it.

After completing the game in just 4 hours I have mixed feelings about it.

Let's start with the game's strong points. First of all, even though the graphics might not be the best, the atmosphere is overwhelming, like it should be in a horror game, but apart from that there are only a few moments in the game that you get scared and most of the time they don't last for a long time (it's either a sudden loud noise, or a door slamming in your face). The story is well written, even though I personally didn't like it that much, so I guess that's a plus as well. Finally, the soundtrack is really really nice and it's probably what I enjoyed the most in my playthrough.

While the above are probably enough reasons for somebody to buy the game, allow me to mention its main weaknesses. First of all there is barely any "gameplay". Apart from a couple of fairly easy puzzles (like moving an object from 1 place to another and activating some switches) there is not much more you do in the game. Personally, I remember maybe 2 instances that I actually had to sneak past a pigman and about 2-3 more that I got chased by some larger enemies and actually took some damage. That is all. The adventure element isn't exactly there either. You don't even have an inventory, so it's more like an exploration game interactive story, which this makes it an easy game with no real replayability.

Overall, I wouldn't say that the game is really bad or really good. Some people will love it, some people won't like it at all. My rating would be a 6.5 if I could give that, since the weak gameplay kinda ruins it for me.
  65. Sep 13, 2013
    I went in with full expectations for a game very different from the first game and an hour in I thought it was going to be brilliant. When I finished the game I was mostly disappointed. The horror related to surviving the world is virtually non-existent. The monsters in the game invoke a sense of sadness, not of dread. The story had amazing potential that was mostly squandered before theI went in with full expectations for a game very different from the first game and an hour in I thought it was going to be brilliant. When I finished the game I was mostly disappointed. The horror related to surviving the world is virtually non-existent. The monsters in the game invoke a sense of sadness, not of dread. The story had amazing potential that was mostly squandered before the mid-game by revealing too much of the plot too early and then just forcing the player to plod on through the locales, knowing all there is to know about the story. The puzzles are non-existent and are simply interactive spots, not puzzles per se.

The biggest letdown was probably the pacing and contents of the story one presented somewhat clumsily and unveiled too early on, one that never culminates into any significant revelation. The people claiming this is very much Dear Esther 2 are right to a large degree. Both games ended in a very similar way and the feelings they invoked in me were very similar.

The game would have done a lot better without promising me the "darkest, most horrific tale ever told in a videogame" and without the Amnesia logo. If this was a standalone release from the Chinese Room, I would have rated this a lot higher because the story was FINE. It was just depressing and very very sad, not horrific, and there was a severe lack of visuals to support the purportedly 'psychological slow burn horror' the game went for. I cannot be scared by a story just because its makers tell me it's dark and twisted, games as a medium should use their full range of tools to convey those feelings and the game failed in that department. While it would have been a fine novel, AMFP generally fails at being a good game, despite its intriguing plot.
  66. Sep 10, 2013
    More Dear Esther than Amnesia... not for everyone's tastes, slow paced and atmospheric with great reliance on written story (notes, journal etc...). Some will love it, others will hate it but most of all... you will never know by reading a review... It's just not the type of game that even the most objective review would be worth taking for granted. I love it, it's a work of art... andMore Dear Esther than Amnesia... not for everyone's tastes, slow paced and atmospheric with great reliance on written story (notes, journal etc...). Some will love it, others will hate it but most of all... you will never know by reading a review... It's just not the type of game that even the most objective review would be worth taking for granted. I love it, it's a work of art... and I'll rate it accordingly Expand
  67. Sep 13, 2013
    As far as sequels go and not created by Frictional Games. But made by a company I never heard of before called A Chinese Room, really really... sucks. I think Frictional Games should develop their own games and not give it into the hands of people who don't know what the f*ck they're doing. This game was short, easy, linear, not scary, and absolutely stupid. I pre ordered this and I feelAs far as sequels go and not created by Frictional Games. But made by a company I never heard of before called A Chinese Room, really really... sucks. I think Frictional Games should develop their own games and not give it into the hands of people who don't know what the f*ck they're doing. This game was short, easy, linear, not scary, and absolutely stupid. I pre ordered this and I feel ripped off. 16 bucks for a game that I finished in 4 hours time.

The enemy A.I. is retarded. The enemies are stupid and not scary. You run away from pigs. PIGS! The f*ck is so scary about pigs?! Unlike the first Amnesia, nothing is interactable. Only things you can pick up are objects used to solve puzzles that are way too easy in comparison with the first Amnesia. They took away the inventory system, your lantern is infinite, it flickers letting you know if pigs are near by, and the game is just rediculously easy, and short.

If you loved the first Amnesia game, stick to that. This game is for the birds. This game is the biggest disappointment I have ever seen. Why the hell did Frictional Games give their best selling title to a bunch of morons who cannot grasp how or why made the original Amnesia so great? You never feel threatened in this game. The game relies on loud sounds and the maps shaking in order to scare you. That is it. The atmosphere is ok, but the overall game is just not scary. At all.

Heh... I can imagine PewDiePie trying to act as if he is scared playing this game. He better be a good actor cause this game is a piece of sh*t. Don't bother buying or playing this game unless you are curious. And know that this game was not created by Frictional Games. That pisses me off. I still await another game from the real guys who made the original Amnesia so great. That is Frictional Games. Not f*cking The Chinese Room. F*ck those guys.
  68. Sep 13, 2013
    The game does not have as many jumps and scares as the first one, for one it takes out the insanity factor that i loved so much in the first one as well as running the chance of running out of oil for your lantern. I believe it was well priced at 20$ and what it lacks in horror, which at first i was disappointed in, i believe the story-line was well thought out and planed. I'll admit, iThe game does not have as many jumps and scares as the first one, for one it takes out the insanity factor that i loved so much in the first one as well as running the chance of running out of oil for your lantern. I believe it was well priced at 20$ and what it lacks in horror, which at first i was disappointed in, i believe the story-line was well thought out and planed. I'll admit, i was disappointed at first but by the end of the game i enjoyed it in a much different way than just being scared, i got into the story line. But if you are looking for a scary game and one that will make you jump, play the first one instead of this one. This one is allot more layed back but i personally enjoyed it. Expand
  69. Sep 24, 2013
    The beggining of game is really and i was though that this game became a real piece of but then when i started to hear those wonderful soundtracks and interesting storyline, i changed my mind. Bassicilly i would give 7,5 but to rise a bit the score i give 10.
  70. Sep 19, 2013
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is not quite as consistently scary or viscerally disturbing as it's predecessor (Amnesia: The Dark Descent), but it's a more of a poignant story overall this time around in terms of how well it delivers its themes (industry, greed, control, power, technology... and how they affect society, etc.), and also has more than a few cryptic helpings of surreal allegoryAmnesia: A Machine for Pigs is not quite as consistently scary or viscerally disturbing as it's predecessor (Amnesia: The Dark Descent), but it's a more of a poignant story overall this time around in terms of how well it delivers its themes (industry, greed, control, power, technology... and how they affect society, etc.), and also has more than a few cryptic helpings of surreal allegory that will have you asking "What the hell does that REALLY mean?"

However, A Machine for Pigs is a linear game overall and has less interaction than your average console game (when you aren't reading cryptic journal entries, you'll spend the remaining 80% of your in-game time turning valves, walking, occasionally running in terror, and turning your lamp on or off). The well-crafted story is essentially the sole focus of the game, but the accompanying art gives you a solid sense of the late 1800's Victorian setting (set a year before the turn of the century), though it's comparatively less evocative than the Gothic castle setting of the first Amnesia game; the grimy streets of London and its steam-pipe laden industrial underbelly ultimately become a repetetive, indistinct mash-up of dark brown bricks, pipes, mud, sewage, and blackened gore by the game's finale.

Overall, its more of semi-interactive version take on classic horror novels than a game. But a story is a story, and this one is a great one... so, unless you're a stickler for purity and would rather simultaneously play Call of Duty, visit an art gallery, and listen to classical music on and iPod while reading H.P. Lovecraft, A Machine for Pigs is the best (and most efficient) choice for anyone who craves depthy and intelligent narrative and/or horror, but can't go without the illusion of free will that only a video game (or the machine that runs it?) can provide.

7.8/10
  71. Sep 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Technically, this game is fantastic. The music is gorgeous, the graphics are stunning, and the storyline is well-written and extremely disturbing (possibly even better than the original game!)

Sadly, the positives end there. Allow me to explain: the gameplay of the first Amnesia revolved around the lack of light and an ingenious sanity system. You would collect lamp oil to fuel your lantern, but it wouldn't last very long. If you ran out of lamp oil, you would have to light various candles and torches around the environment using tinderboxes. If you failed to stay in the light, your sanity would start to drain. The lower your sanity dropped, the weirder things would become. You would hear creepy noises, the player character would be harder to control, and monsters would be more likely to find you.

In Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, they removed ALL of that.

This is so stupid it's almost impossible to comprehend. The reason we all loved the original Amnesia was BECAUSE of these unique concepts! Releasing an Amnesia sequel without the sanity system is like releasing a Portal sequel without portals! A sequel is supposed to IMPROVE on the original gameplay mechanics, not REMOVE them!

And that's not all! As well as removing the sanity system and light control, The Chinese Room has also given us a noticeable drop-down in immersion. One of the most important features of a horror game is immersing the player in the game's world, and AMFP fails horribly in this regard. In the first Amnesia, you could pick up almost every single box and move to around. Not in AMFP. In the first Amnesia, you could walk through almost every door and explore almost every room. Not in AMFP. In the first Amnesia, I felt like I was really inside a terrible place where terrible things had happened. Not in AMFP.

This brings me to my final complaint: Amnesia was the scariest horror game of all time, and this game just... isn't scary. You see the full view of the game's monsters in the first hour, which really messes up the pacing (in the first Amnesia, you would get spine-tingling glimpses of the monsters for several hours before you finally met one face-to-face). Because of this, the monsters become somewhat repetitive and difficult to fear. They're also extremely easy to avoid.

This game is a mess. It's a shame to see such fantastic storytelling and voice-acting go to waste, but the rest of the game is too bad to ignore. There's barely any atmosphere, easy to avoid monsters, and some of the most generic gameplay I've ever seen. Where did the heart-pumping fear of the original go??? Although I love the soundtrack and storyline, it's impossible for me to like a game that is trying so blatantly to be Amnesia yet fails so awfully.
  72. Sep 27, 2013
    If i could describe this game with 1 word, it would definetly be failure or disappointment.

I shall start by saying that I was truly looking forward to this game... However with the first 30 minutes, i realised how it took a turn to the worst... They eliminated the survival aspect of the game... they decided that it would be far more interesting to focus on the story (which in my opinion is really pretentious) and forget that this is a sequel to an awesome horror game...

Seriously... this game is neither a horror game nor an action/adventure game... its a sh%$ walk through type of game where everything is handed to you on a platter and you just press W and some clicks to see the bad pretentious story unfold... are you FU%$I*# serious???? is this what i waited anxiously to play???

Let me make it clear that Outlast came out 6 days before this game... and i only bought it lol as a warmup to this game... FAIL. because outlast is a clear 8... this game however is barely half of that score...

No scary enemies...
    No jumps...
    3 patrolling enemies.....
    No survival aspect... (no tinder, batteries or anything that forces you to explore)
    no tough puzzles...
    lots of non-interactable objects and doors... (WHY??)
    and... 4 hours long... 4 hours.... thats not even enough for a damn dlc...

i could go on rumbling about how trash this game is. How big of a disappointment it is.. but instead i shall go beg Redbarrel to make Outlast 2 and forget amnesia series exist...
  73. Sep 16, 2013
    The terror in Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs comes not from the jump scares of an unseen water monster or the fright of a new Manpig sprinting at you but rather from the horrifying well-written story, notes, and journals that you find along the way. The jumps are still there, but they are less frequent which is actually a bit more scary, it makes you think you're safe. The new creatures areThe terror in Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs comes not from the jump scares of an unseen water monster or the fright of a new Manpig sprinting at you but rather from the horrifying well-written story, notes, and journals that you find along the way. The jumps are still there, but they are less frequent which is actually a bit more scary, it makes you think you're safe. The new creatures are splendid and the layout is still just as much of a labyrinth, but the storyline drives this game. Curry's soundtrack is phenomenal and the use of unseen children's voices adds a level of under-your-skin creepiness. Expand
  74. Sep 20, 2013
    Tis game... this game... The story was presented wonderfully but the problems out weigh many of the great story moments and gameplay "improvements" It was just lacking the pure fear that you felt playing the dark descent, it lost the survival aspect. I felt safer and less scared in this game than any other "survival horror" game i have ever played. The game is still worth playing however...
  75. Sep 21, 2013
    I LOVED the first Amnesia. I completely dislike the second. It's a pale imitation with none of the cool features we all liked in the first iteration. No lantern running out of oil. No real use of light and shadow at all. No spiral into madness. No terror of the unknown...
  76. Sep 19, 2013
    Sadly this game is not Amnesia anymore.
    While having more detailed and complete storyline than original title and truly great story development (here we can thank chineeseroom, I guess), the game lacks one crucial point. Fear.
    Sadly this game is not Amnesia anymore.

Getting rid of all UI is a good solution, but hey, the game is scary for only 1/3 of the time. You can walk in the dark freely as though it's you, who is the monster. Meeting monsters doesn't drive you mad and you can actually get hit by one and run away from it. Should I also point to the fact that pigs have great smell sense and will definitely smell you hiding behind crates?

After reading interview with Amnesia creator I was waiting for more "fear development", and in some parts it was very good indeed. Low frequency sounds, flickering lights, strange growls. But the second half of the game is just "run and click some buttons", so I guess they were just in a hurry to release the game. Of course I have read all the notes and documents in game, but I still have this bitter feeling of being fooled by the title.

Anyway, the story has made me think a lot and I still think it is a good game. But good like Dear Esther, not Amnesia.
  77. Sep 20, 2013
    While it is not a *horribly* bad game is was definitely an overwhelming disappointment for me.

The game-play was okay, the graphics were astounding and the scenery very beautifully made and it definitely created the dark and horrific atmosphere Amnesia had, but I could not find it in myself to care about the story or the main character at all. Which for me, is one of the greatest sins a game can ever commit.

Unlike the first amnesia game were you truly wanted to learn what had happened, who the main character was and how to stop the coming evil and thus searched frantically for clues about those In this game, I had to force myself to read the notes and listen to the records after a while, it just got too boring and much too confusing. I am sure that if this had been a book where they could explain everything a little better, I would have loved it, but somehow the game took such an overdramatic, religiously fanatic approach that most of the time I just rolled my eyes at the recordings. If you are playing the main character in a game, you want to *like* him. In Amnesia you felt sorry for the MC even if he was a douche, but this MC is just a jerk, and even if there are a few redeeming hints thrown in here and there, I still found myself disliking him.

I really wanted to love this game because it was an “Amnesia”, but there are just so many things about it that annoys me The sanity meter is gone for one, and the main characters health regenerates rather quickly, which made the pig monsters that much less scary: I could always outrun them so why care if I took a hit? Also, the whole "pig" theme seems rather forced after a while: Yes, humans are pigs, understood, please stop using it in every-single-monologue.

The game gets boringly linear after a while. You are doing the same thing over and over and over again for ages just in slightly varying ways. The first time I had to turn a wheel and pull a lever to fix something was fine, but doing it 20+ times?

Maybe I am being too harsh on the game, but that is only because I keep comparing it to the first Amnesia, and I fully admit that! But if you choose to create a game as a sequel to Amnesia instead of a game of it´s own genre and style in order to sell more copies, and then strip it of so many of the things that made the previous game so popular, people will be rather disappointing: It is like creating a Mass Effect game without the dialogue wheel Same game yes, but the games “soul” is gone.

If they released this as a game of it´s own, I think I would have liked it better, but only a bit because for me, creating an unlikeable main character, boringly linear tasks, and face-palm worthy over-dramatic monologue gives you a nice place in the back of my closet where you shall stay forevermore never to be played again.

All in all an okay game, but very over the top dramatic, not really scary and in the end, not what I wanted the next Amnesia game to be like. Sorry.
  78. Feb 16, 2014
    Pure Disappointment...
    Where are the puzzles where you had to collect things and combine them?
    They really took away all the fun of the game by letting you interact only with a handful of items... Amnesia The Dark Descent was all about smashing pots and throwing chairs all over the place to overcome your fear about the truly terrifying monsters and moving every little stone until you
    Pure Disappointment...
    Where are the puzzles where you had to collect things and combine them?
    Amnesia The Dark Descent was all about smashing pots and throwing chairs all over the place to overcome your fear about the truly terrifying monsters and moving every little stone until you find the solution to the puzzle!
    It was fun searching for tinder or oil and opening all drawers and cupboards in your way too!
    Machine For Pigs has really fancy graphics, with lots of moments that make you chill through the combination of beautiful scenery and music, but that's all about it...
    Waste of money... As a big fan of Frictional Games' series I am sad cause i expected much more from this game after waiting for a long time! I hope they won't disappoint us on their next try or sequel...
  79. Sep 16, 2013
    Simply put, this is the exact median between Dear Esther and The Dark Decent. I went into this game expecting a campy storyline with some great scares, but what I got instead was the most unsettling game I have ever played. Surprisingly enough, for how amazing of a plot this game has (as pretentiously metaphorical it can be sometimes), there's very few plot holes and the level design isSimply put, this is the exact median between Dear Esther and The Dark Decent. I went into this game expecting a campy storyline with some great scares, but what I got instead was the most unsettling game I have ever played. Surprisingly enough, for how amazing of a plot this game has (as pretentiously metaphorical it can be sometimes), there's very few plot holes and the level design is near perfect despite it being so incredibly linear. I have no problem with that, as I know that linear gameplay is the best way to tell a story. The writing is great, the voice acting is top notch (despite some cheap sound effects), and the atmosphere is PERFECT. The graphics are also fantastic despite having indie origins. The plot lays out like Bioshock, which also means it has pacing issues. Also, the inconsistency of the enemy encounters is noticeably annoying, but the encounters it does have are BLISTERINGLY intense. Way more frightening than anything in the first game. Expand
  80. Sep 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Honestly I had very high hopes for an Amnesia sequel, but A Machine for Pigs was very disappointing. I don't want to impugn the hard work of the wonderful developers who worked on the project, but the game felt like it was half-assed, for which there is no excuse given that the release date kept getting pushed back. My biggest complaint is that this game is barely even 30% as scary as The Dark Descent mainly because they removed the insanity mechanic. The Dark Descent was so terrifying because you were FORCED into the darkness at the cost of your character's sanity in order to survive and make progress, relying only on your finite lantern oil and finite tinderboxes to keep you on the right track.

This game also lacks any kind of puzzles worth mentioning, making it feel dull and easy if there's nothing to use your brain on then why not just have the player walk through the entire game?

Elimination of the inventory screen was also a big mistake. Having items for the player to collect: whether they're vital pieces of some puzzle down the road or precious vials of laudanum or lantern oil entices the player to explore dark areas they might otherwise just walk by. The inventory screen also gives players the option of having and using tools to solve puzzles or break through impassable areas, giving another dimension of creativity to making progress.

The enemy design in this game is uninspired to say the least. Given there is no "insanity penalty" for looking at the monsters it allows the player to study them closely and see just how unthreatening they are. The enemies encountered in the Dark Descent by contrast are nothing less than the stuff of nightmares: I've played through thousands of hours of zombie games in my lifetime and I've yet to encounter anything even remotely as terrifying as the Servant-Gatherers from the Dark Descent (honorable mention: Pyramid Head but he STILL doesn't strike fear into the heart of the player like Mr. Face screaming towards you in a dark corridor).

Finally, the storytelling elements in this game fall flat over so many omitted details. The journal entries were just words on the screen (in a hard-to-read font) rather than the outstanding voice-acting and ambiance-of-terror music of its predecessor. A Machine for Pigs had none of the dramatic irony through music, well-placed flashbacks, hallucinations of screaming victims, or other unsettling events which make a horror story feel authentic. While the music composed for this game wasn't bad, it didn't go far enough and there wasn't enough of it. Silence through corridors isn't spooky it just seems lazy. Attention to every little detail of the experience is why I've recommended Amnesia: The Dark Descent to just about everybody I know, purely on artistic grounds alone to say nothing of being the single most terrifying work of media I've ever encountered.

I thank the developers for their hard work on this entry into the Amnesia series, and I hope they will return to and build upon the original formula of The Dark Descent in making a third Amnesia game.
  81. Sep 10, 2013
    As far as i played a machine for pigs i can say this: It nails the atmosphere in any way. You are scared even if there aren't any monsters around. the voice acting is done well and the scares are from well done to amazing. its a small step backward from The dark descent. The ammount of stuff you can pick up is limited, and the diary pages are not voice acted. Overall this game has a veryAs far as i played a machine for pigs i can say this: It nails the atmosphere in any way. You are scared even if there aren't any monsters around. the voice acting is done well and the scares are from well done to amazing. its a small step backward from The dark descent. The ammount of stuff you can pick up is limited, and the diary pages are not voice acted. Overall this game has a very good story and a horrorfying atmosphere! Expand
  82. Sep 10, 2013
    This is an amazing game, great storyline the graphics are awesome. If you played the original Amnesia you won't be upset with playing this game. So many hateful comments towards this game.
  83. Sep 10, 2013
    Here is my review, i've just beaten the game and this is 100% honest not biased bullcrap like half the stuff is on here. ie. NO TINDERBOXES!?!?!?! 0/10

Okay, first off, the atmosphere, I thought was actually a tiny bit better than TDD. The surroundings are much more intricate, although it feels as if it was kind of borrowed from Bioshock. Overall, the insides of the machine/house are both creepy, steampunky, and nice.

Second, The enemies.... and this is where it goes downhill. So, I died once in this entire playthrough, and that was when I was walking down a hall and didn't notice an enemy spawned right behind me. The other times, I ran straight past enemies (even the boss enemy!) every single one... The enemies can do well to invoke panic, running around in a circle trying not to die while also trying to figure out a puzzle is extremely stressful. But in this game, it wasn't too bad just running past all the monsters, even in a narrow hallway. Compare this to TDD and you want to avoid those grunts if at all possible because they are evil incarnate. One of the most nervewracking parts for me in TDD was the Sewers, when you had to lure the brute away with a rock, that thing was terrifying, it was faster than you and killed in like one shot, and here you are, throwing a rock, then you run around the corner, only to realize you threw it wrong and you end up staring the brute right in the face (not fun mind you), there isn't really anything that scary in AMFP although there are a few encounters that bring about panic.

Third, The story, it was interesting, a lot of it didn't really make sense until I actually quit the game and thought about it. I still am a bit confused on if there are multiple endings or what and exactly certain aspects of the plot, so maybe we will get some more information in the future.

Fourth, The gameplay. This is it, this is the most griped about issue. This game is EXACTLY like TDD in terms of gameplay, same engine, same mechanics, everything. The thing is, for whatever reason, they left the physics engine in, but decided to make it so you can not pick up all objects. Sure there is a thing or 2, maybe some pool balls, but that's it. Nothing else. Which is a step back from TDD where you could barricade yourself in a room with boxes, or talk to an inanimate statue. Next, no insanity, no oil, no tinderboxes. This kind of takes away from the survival aspect, but lets be honest, the lights play a huge part in the game and oil and tinderboxes wouldn't make sense in 1899. However, the no insanity part really annoyed me, it was iconic and now it's gone. THE MAIN ISSUE is that the game is 4 hours long... at best. I took my time, read all the notes, checked every door, thought it took forever, nope... 4 hours. It seems longer than that, but it was 4 hours. I beat the entire game of Fallout 3 in 7 hours my first time and that was just doing the main story!

Fifth, the scare factor. The first half of the game is just buildup, you are sitting in suspense, you know it is coming, but you don't want it to. Suddenly the game hits you with it HARD every damn room is filled with the monsters. Only theres one major issue. Most of these rooms don't have patrolling enemies (Jesus Christ I was terrified that that was the case!), but rather simple scripted events where they walk past you and that's that. There are certain patrolling monsters but they are very few in number. The monsters are necessarily as terrifying as in TDD either, they look like a typical video game bad guy not some weird bipedal thing without a head and a sword grafted into it's arm, so it kind of takes away from the horror. Overall, the atmosphere and the sound work together to still make it terrifying, it's just that it isn't as scary as TDD.

Overall, if you look at it as the next game in the series of Amnesia... it's junk... if you look at it as a standalone game and don't compare it to Amnesia at every step, it's pretty decent. I give it 7/10 because I take off 1 for the terrible enemies, 1 for the short gameplay, and 1 for the linear story. It's still scary as hell, is a nice experience, and still worth $15.
  84. Sep 16, 2013
    Hated it. Story was great. Idea was great. There's barely any evading! There's zero to none interactions with objects, only the one they want you to use. I only got scared 2 or 3 times in the entire game. Very disappointed.
  85. Sep 17, 2013
    A little lackluster considering its great predecessor. The graphic quality has not advanced, and the game follows the same formula of the previous Amnesia, but unfortunately, it's not as scary. Still pretty horrifying when compared with any other survival horror. Its low price makes it a good deal.
  86. Sep 26, 2013
    This game was one of the biggest disappointments lately. What made the original so memorable is not sustained in this installment, instead there is a game of walking through large, uninteresting areas and doing simple puzzles. The soundtrack for this game was very immerse and matched the style of the game perfectly, but it felt like most of the game was spent in an awkward silence. I haveThis game was one of the biggest disappointments lately. What made the original so memorable is not sustained in this installment, instead there is a game of walking through large, uninteresting areas and doing simple puzzles. The soundtrack for this game was very immerse and matched the style of the game perfectly, but it felt like most of the game was spent in an awkward silence. I have played many games that a silent soundtrack for most of the game works in its favor, but this isn't one of them. This entire game just feels empty. All of the areas have no one else in them except for the occasional enemy that you can simply run past with no challenge, and I found myself asking "Where is everyone?"

This game does do some things right, such as the absolutely dreadful atmosphere, with the added immersion from the soundtrack and the excellent voice acting. It is a game similar to Dear Esther, with about the same amount of immersion, but without the memorable visuals and the interesting and original areas like in Dear Esther.

Anything that might have been hard to program for the developers is left out, such as the inventory system, sanity system, depleting light source, extra items to interact with other than the immediate next thing to do, and other things that would have made the game more interesting. This game is way too short and way too easy, only around 3.5-4 hours with no replay value and no multiplayer, which is unacceptable for a game priced higher than better indie games such as Fez or Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. It's extremely lazy, and just a cash-in on the success of the first game.
  87. Sep 11, 2013
    Amnesia:A Machine for Pigs, sequel to The Dark Descent. Aside from good voice acting, lack of combat and a few textures that look alike is where the similarities end. If I had blind tested this game I would have called it Bioshock: A Machine for Pigs. The story was good, linear and heavily infused with politics much akin to The Bioshock series (speaking more of rapture, as i never playedAmnesia:A Machine for Pigs, sequel to The Dark Descent. Aside from good voice acting, lack of combat and a few textures that look alike is where the similarities end. If I had blind tested this game I would have called it Bioshock: A Machine for Pigs. The story was good, linear and heavily infused with politics much akin to The Bioshock series (speaking more of rapture, as i never played the new one yet). Going down into the bowels of the machine made me think of discovering the depths of rapture. I enjoyed both games, however I wanted a new amnesia not a new bio shock. The game is not scary, I was more scared in the first half hour of Outlast than the entirety of this game. So if you want a good rapture-esque story this is still a good game, if you want horror check out Outlast which was released a week prior. Expand
  88. Sep 11, 2013
    Just to be clear: if you're looking for a game that will literally scare you enough to stop playing, search elsewhere. This game is drastically different from the first Amnesia, in that it's less about frightening you, and more about storytelling. Which, in my opinion, is actually a positive experience; I was certainly creeped out at certain points in the game, and yes, even a littleJust to be clear: if you're looking for a game that will literally scare you enough to stop playing, search elsewhere. This game is drastically different from the first Amnesia, in that it's less about frightening you, and more about storytelling. Which, in my opinion, is actually a positive experience; I was certainly creeped out at certain points in the game, and yes, even a little scared, but I was never truly terrified of the enemy. Which, also, is not nearly as interesting (or scary) in appearance than the monstrous beings from the Dark Descent. So, in all, this game is more on par with Gone Home and Dear Esther than the original, which focused on pure horror. But for me, this time around it's something I enjoy in a game: great storytelling. 7/10 Expand
  89. Sep 13, 2013
    This feels more like the first amnesia a lot of features are gone that was in dark decent these devs got lazy no more phys but chairs and doors pretty much., but better then nothing still sorta dissapointed game did go down hill.
  90. Sep 19, 2013
    As well as the first one, this game surprised me with a deep and beautiful plot about a man, struggling to undo his evil. I passed this game on one breath while the first game took me a week or two. But the gameplay is not shorter. The scares become less intense and overall the gameplay became easier, which is a good thing I guess, since scaring you is the second objective of this game.As well as the first one, this game surprised me with a deep and beautiful plot about a man, struggling to undo his evil. I passed this game on one breath while the first game took me a week or two. But the gameplay is not shorter. The scares become less intense and overall the gameplay became easier, which is a good thing I guess, since scaring you is the second objective of this game. The plot is heavy and not always easy to accept but if you play the first game you will get an idea why is it this way. Personally I found this game to be one of the best horror games. A fair amount of jumpscares, a fair amount of creepy content and a tension from the beginning and till the end. I must comment the sound, as it is the games bread and butter. I was terrified every time hearing a monster eating something behind the corner. And this narration is a gem of modern gaming.
    If this series will ever continue, I would play every game to come only because these two have taken a place in my heart. I recommend this game to every person that seeks a game, that tells you a story, rather than attacks from the corner to dismember you and makes you walk on human flesh.
    And to all those, who think this game is worse that the first one or even any game available today, play "Dear Esther" to understand the concept, not "Outlast". Amnesia has its scary parts, but it does not kill you every time you encounter an enemy. Good or bad, this is what the game is so don't get fooled by the glory of the first game. You will enjoy if you want to enjoy a story.
  91. Sep 21, 2013
    Amnesia a machine for pigs is not as good as I expected it to be. It has barely any interaction with objects, no potions, good jump scares or a good monster.In my opinion it was quite a downfall for the creators. Personally for me it just seemed like a mod, not a full game made by the same creators as Amnesia's the dark descend's. Again: the monsters were simply ridiculous and the storyAmnesia a machine for pigs is not as good as I expected it to be. It has barely any interaction with objects, no potions, good jump scares or a good monster.In my opinion it was quite a downfall for the creators. Personally for me it just seemed like a mod, not a full game made by the same creators as Amnesia's the dark descend's. Again: the monsters were simply ridiculous and the story didn't connect what so ever, the game cant even be called horror anymore, there wasn't even an inventory! The game was just bad. Expand
  92. Sep 30, 2013
    Do not purchase this game. It was a disappointment. First, you can't interact with anything in the game, want to grab that flower pot? Nope, this chair? NOPE, very little interaction.

Second, their is no more sanity mechanics, the dark does not do anything to you anymore, Lame lame LAME. The lantern you use is infinite in power, it must be nuclear or something The monsters in the

The monsters in the game are not scary, they remind me of a 5 year old's Halloween piglet costume. They also use the same EXACT items and décor as in amnesia dark descent, same chairs, same everything. Its a piss poor excuse of a new game.

Overall I was very disappointed. I'm sad I waited so long fur such a lame game
  93. Oct 25, 2013
    Amnesia a machine for pigs... This game has been developed by the Chinese room. This company is very different than frictional games which makes you wonder why they passed on such a high reputation game to them. Maybe it was because frictional games wasn't a known company before amnesia and felt that the chinese room had something special to offer and they trusted them being in theirAmnesia a machine for pigs... This game has been developed by the Chinese room. This company is very different than frictional games which makes you wonder why they passed on such a high reputation game to them. Maybe it was because frictional games wasn't a known company before amnesia and felt that the chinese room had something special to offer and they trusted them being in their position once. Or maybe, it was because after taking a look at Dear Esther, they knew the Chinese room had something more to offer, something different. And that is exactly what they put on the table. Amnesia The dark descent was a game everyone will remember as the game where they their pants and screamed like a little girl." and you can't deny that you probably did too. The story for Dark Descent was interesting, especially near the end of the game. What I love about A machine for pigs is it was completely different than its predecessor. I was worried that I would be playing an amnesia game that was completely similar to the first because the fear factor just wouldn't be there and if it was, it would not be the same. What the Chinese room did was they brought forth what I believe to be the most important parts of the horror genre; the story and atmosphere. Voice acting, soundtrack, environmental design and plot were things that were improved upon by a great amount. If you were to ask me about horror movies I would respond by saying I am tired of the slashing, the blood and basically the GUTS of what make up scary movies today. I want a story that will be able to grasp me and pull me into the madness it creates deep down (with a few pretty darn crazy scares along the way too!) And that is why I enjoy this game so much. You have every part of a disturbing and very successful horror story tied together with plausible monster creations and thrilling scares. Expand
  94. Feb 2, 2014
    A lot of people told me that this game is no Amnesia anymore, and they were right. It's much better! This game fascinates me in so many different ways. Soundtrack, atmosphere and gameplay are just amazing and it had the most powerful story I've ever encountered! Everybody should give it a try and I promise that you'll have the time of your life.
  95. Sep 10, 2013
    If you're willing to accept the fact that not everything is the same as TDD, then this game will suck you right in and won't let go. Otherwise, you might be disappointed.
  96. Sep 10, 2013
    As a person who hasn't played much horror, I didn't know what to expect. The last few horror games I tried many years ago bored me before ever giving me a scare. I would say this game is fun just based on the story and atmosphere it sets it has scared me a few times in the first hour I've played. 1 of the scares got me really good. Now I must try Outlast.
  97. Sep 21, 2013
    I really was waiting more from this game. Really disappointed. Where is the sanity? Where is the oil? The only good point is the main history. The last game was much better.
  98. Sep 10, 2013
    One has to acknowledge that this game was produced by a different studio with only Frictional Games finishing the game off (tweaks, polish etc) so of course there is going to be a lot of differences. Just because it has the same name doesn't mean you have to then expect it to play exactly the same.

I like the new direction myself as I feel it is more realistic (No lantern in the world uses up all its oil in a space of a few minutes) and why should the dark make you go insane exactly (the noises and breathing are enough)? It just makes more sense to get rid of those game fillers and to concentrate more on the journey through this world without having to fumble about searching for some more oil because you are about to run out.

I've played for an hour and if you immerse yourself into this world you can have a lot of fun. Always curious about what is behind the next door, or through a secret passage. I will update as I go, but so far I think it is a solid game that has a lot of good qualities that certainly outweigh the negatives and therefore gets my recommendation! Must be played in the dark with a good pair of headphones!
  99. Sep 10, 2013
    As someone who played Amnesia: TDD, I cannot deny this is a bit of letdown for this series.
    However, atmosphere and sound effects are still strong points of this game. The eerie BGMs always give me the chill, and the dark environment adds up to that.
    Compare it to the predecessor, there are more puzzles instead of gathering them all in a single stage (The Mechanic room of course, I really enjoyed it) but most puzzles are no brainers. Just look around and find something that let the "hand" icon appears, you are good to go.
    Graphics are pretty much like ATDD. Yes it's not very satisfying, but if you are too strict with graphics, can't say you are playing the game for the thrill to the core. You want eye candy? Turn left to Outlast, you are welcome.
    The part that disappoints me the most is that they took away lantern oil and sanity meter. I was amazed by the concept of insanity when I played ATDD, it was brilliant and it played quite an important role, it affected the game play and you had to worry it all the time. Above that, the constant dread that I could not find enough lantern oil and tinderboxes was the part I enjoyed the game most. I had to look into every corner for light sources risking bump into our dear faithful guards of Alexander's. The fear for darkness fights against the fear for monsters, that was the balance I was desperately to maintain and that thrilled me to the deepest. Too bad Amnesia: AMFP set in the time of 1899, lantern oil and tinderboxes' existence is out of logic, but it is a great loss for the game. They took away these features and left hardcore fans almost devastated.
    Put aside all the cons away, AAMFP is still a first person survival horror game. I felt like I was in the story, I was Mandus and had to save my children for god's sake, and I was the one who built that goddamn machine and paying for the consequences. The story was refreshing for me and it might be boring for some. I don't care, the story was much stronger than ATDD, and i have to praise the writer for the good job.
    All in all, people who loved the Amnesia series for its special features might not enjoy this, but if you really love horror game for the way that let fear lingers in your heart, you will love this game.
  100. Sep 10, 2013
    This game isn't even near to amnesia the dark descent...but this is still an great example how to make a horror game. Atmosphere is creepy(of course) and story in this is quite great compared to the dark descent. Only one thing that annoys me is that a machine for pigs is missing a lot of little stuff that made dark descent one of the greatest horror games ever.

1. Dec 12, 2013
    A Machine for Pigs is a well made and impressive game with a thorough thematic design and atmosphere. As a horror game it is rather spartan yet brilliant in that it let’s your brain conjure most of its horrors. Unfortunately it comes with a rather numbing effect that makes later parts of the game feel more formulaic and not as scary.
  2. Nov 5, 2013
    With problematic pacing and a complete lack of the horror element -that was the highlight of the first game- A Machine for Pigs didn't meet our expectations.
    A perfect clash of Dear Esther and Amnesia, focused on straining your nerves while easing - perhaps a tad too much - on the interaction and gameplay. [Issue#234]