• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Feb 17, 2011
8.6

1. Feb 2, 2011
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.

Turn off the lights in your house and play this game. It is the closest any modern game will ever get to a similar feeling. Unique in its ideas and excellence this game is put simply astonishing.
  2. Feb 3, 2011
    This is by far the best horror-survival game I have ever played!
    And after I played it for the first time, I thought the replay value isn't that high.... but after I played it a second time I realized, I was so wrong!
  3. Feb 6, 2011
    This game is absolutely phenomenal!From the start you are inserted in the depths of a chaotic castle that will paralyze you from fear from its shocking mysteries.It is beyond your imagination what awaits you.The sounds , the graphics all make what this game is , an absolute masterpiece.Kudos to Frictional Games.
  4. Mar 5, 2011
    This game is simply wonderful and beats an other horror game I've played out of the water. This game uses seclusion, sound, and atmosphere to scare the living crap out of you. You run around and solve puzzles that work your logical sense so you can progress through-out the dark, haunting, castle rooms and halls. If you enjoy playing games with your surround sound blasted to max and play at night with your lights off, this game is just for you. just be sure to have a few news-papers underneath you if you don't want to wet your chair. Expand
  5. Feb 28, 2011
    Don't know how to state this: This is a REAL horror game.
    You see; horror games are nowdays mostly seen as a game with bloody monsters and you need to shoot them. A real horror game is mostly imagination, and you should always be on edge.

Amnesia is the perfect horror game; no defence, and i had the feeling i was REALLY going insane.
    A must-have.
  6. Mar 8, 2011
    Great survival horror game that knows when to go "boo". It has great writing and voice acting to immerse you into the world where you are a puny little man facing big, scary monsters with nothing but a lantern.

Decent game. Worth the money.
  7. Mar 10, 2011
    This game made me visit the developers blog page for news on future updates

It scared the bejesus out of me, but thats exactly what I wanted

Some say that it has no replay value, but I played it twice and some parts still gets me even though I know whats going to happen

In terms of uniqueness, No other game is as atmospheric, immersive, and terrifying as this

Would recommend to everyone
  8. Mar 22, 2011
    That was the single most terrifying piece of entertainment I have ever laid hands upon. I do not usually get touched by horror movies and alike but in this game I quite simply had to walk away on numerous occasions. The evil lurking in the water and the deep cries from the abandoned prison cellars had me almost literally begging to god for mercy. Scary as it may be, I extremely recommend playing this in the dark, alone, the way it is meant to be played; petrified, stunned, yet at the same time panicking for the escape as the last drop of lamb-oil burns up and you are left in the dark with insects crawling all over your screen and only the bare wall to guide you further ahead. All in all a thrilling experience without any of the bugs you could expect from an indie production like this. One of the games I "enjoyed" the most and definitely worth the 14 dollar pricetag. Expand
  9. Mar 22, 2011
    I've been a fan of horror movies and books for a while, but never before had I played a horror game in my life until Amnesia. Starting it unsure, I decided to watch a live play before trying it out to prepare myself. Little did that matter, of course, because now I've played the game seven times and I still **** my pants at least once every ten minutes. Through the mazes of hallways and corridors you must dive between each little oasis of light to keep yourself sane. You don't even need to encounter the monsters to have a heart attack; just the gurgle or groan of a nearby creature sends me absolutely bonkers and I tend to squeak in fear. The amazing graphics, the use of physics, the sound effects, and the format all together make this game an terrifyingly real experience. I have only three notes of advice for you: find more oil, don't venture out into the open, and for God sakes, STAY OUT OF THE WATER. Expand
  10. Apr 6, 2011
    People think Dead Space and Dead Space 2 being scary needs to play this game, seriously. After playing Amnesia, any other horror game that I've played recently is a walk through the park. Frictional Games tells you that the game itself is not meant to be played to win, and should be played in the dark with headphones / surround sound. Do it at least once. The atmosphere fits, the game does what its supposed to do, scare the **** out of you. Dead Space and Dead Space 2, supposedly scary games are disappointing in the fact that its all obvious, jump scares. There is no true comparison as this game out trumps them in the horror, which if you sell a game as horror, it better be. There's only one room that has that safe room feel and ambiance except for a creepy fixture that only a crazy person would like. The physic system is really really nice, and this is coming from a team of 5 people, note that, 5, versus a big company of over hundreds with tons more funding and still making a better game than them. The graphics are decent, but considering it being an indie game, its really good for their effort. This game play however doesn't suit most people as a lot of people like "wheres my freaking gun" or something. Fans of horror should really buy the game, its $20, or $10 if its on sale. Expand
  11. Feb 11, 2012
    After years of action-horror games, we finally get a proper survival horror game! This is the perfect horror game by me: no weapons, monsters to avoid, creepy scenery, constant darkness, horrific sound. Everything is perfectly set in order to scare the HELL outta you, and horror fans will enjoy....but what's wrong instead? To be honest, one of the fewest issues I had in this game were the mental state, mainly because you can't hide in the darkness for too long or you'll go crazy: in a game where you must hide, hiding is actually hurting you? Annoying, but I guess it's one way to scare you more, but still I found it bothersome. And of course, the light sources: you'll constantly have to carefully use your light sources, or you'll have a hard time in the game later: very bothersome. Maybe one issue is also when you die, the game loses a bit of its touch: yes it's scary, but suddenly you don't feel that much fear anymore: not a proper flaw, more like an annoying thing. Honestly that's mostly it: the biggest flaws could be for those who actually don't like this kind of horror games, meaning that this game is based on slow moments, on being carefull, on actually try to mentally focused and go on; those who just love to defend themselves somehow or who actualy can't stand slow paced games, this game is probably not for you. For the rest, this is how a REAL horror game should be made, and I CAN'T wait for another game like this. Expand
  12. Apr 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is by no means for the weak of heart. As a matter of fact, if you're looking for an exciting, fun game, go buy something else. I see this game as more of a challenge. That being said, it's still superb.
    I'll start with the cons. The graphics are a bit outdated. The physics system is a little confusing, although it isn't used extensively. Oh, and you're likely to wet yourself once or twice along the way. The gameplay isn't incredibly long - that is, once you remove the time you spend crouching in corners crying to yourself. And the pros? This game is, by far, the most terrifying game out there. It blows Dead Space 1/2 each out of the water. If you find yourself crouching in a corner behind a bed for minutes on end, you aren't alone. There are times where you can hardly tell whether you are in a chair in front of a computer or roaming the halls of the castle. Of course, the game doesn't survive solely on thrill. There are some puzzles in it - some of which are annoying, some of which are challenging - and perhaps the most noticeable feature (besides the fetal position inducing terror) is the aspect of preserving resources. Throughout the game, you must stay in light to stay sane. The problem is, your light sources are limited to a lantern with an oil supply, natural light that is hard to find, and tinderboxes which are rare. So you may find yourself sprinting in between previously lit torches and windows. Furthermore, you cannot fight your enemies - you can only run and hide. This changes the modern view of video games, which is mostly centered around the "fight to survive" idea. The storyline isn't anything incredibly intense, but it does hold it's own against other games'. The music is superb - in fact, I would attribute a good chunk of the fear factor of this game completely to the music and sound effects. One final note - you have to let yourself be afraid to truly experience Amnesia's effect. There actually aren't a large amount of enemy encounters in the game (though they are certainly the most terrifying parts). It isn't the quantity of encounters, but that you never know when one may occur. Play it in a dark room, alone, with headphones on. Allow yourself to become the character, and don't let yourself know that it's all pixels. In the end: It's a great challenge and most definitely worth 20 bucks, though it is often on sale for less. However, it's not fun and addicting as we tend to view a "good game" to be, and the weak of heart should beware.
  13. Apr 9, 2011
    From a purely "Video games are art" -perspective this is probably the best thing I've ever seen. I'm not much into horror games since there's usually very little horror in them, however this is truly one of the best gaming experiences that I've ever had. The immersion is like nothing I've encountered before; if played properly late at night with no lights and headphones it will draw you in and you may never fully recover.

This is a game for anyone how wants to try something new in gaming. It stands out as a shining beacon of creativity in a swamp of bland generic games. In this game the only way to defend your self is to run and hide, and it works better then I ever thought possible. Instead of focusing on fun game-play it focuses on just being an experience, which may sound kind of boring but I assure you that this game is anything but boring. And the experience weaves beautifully together with itself; you'll be in a mix of mildly non-threatening environments simply exploring, feeling a little bit uncanny that somethings a bit off, hiding from monsters that you're not quite sure where they are and heart pounding hectic chases. This game knows that the best way to keep you at the edge of your seat is to vary the experience. It's not a consistent climb leading up to a climax, it tries to keep everything being unpredictable, it fails at some points to be honest but never the less it succeeds very well at strongly evoking whatever emotion it's going for, which isn't always fear. And that's what I think makes the developers such great artists.

Naturally the game isn't flawless, nothing is. The AI of the monsters is probably the thing that stands out the most, however considering that this was made by an indie developing studio consisting of five guys I'm willing to let that one slide, especially since that particular flaw feels overshadowed by everything about it that exceeded my expectations about it by a mile, such as sound, ambiance, voice acting, varying level aesthetics and even they're in-house physics engine (not that I tried to break it). However, one thing that kept rubbing me the wrong way was some of the puzzles. Prior to going in to this game I thought that there was two kinds of puzzles, the easy ones that almost feels patronizing at times, and hard ones that can be frustrating to figure out but generally leaves you with a real since of accomplishment and intelligence when you do figure out how to solve it. In this game however some of the puzzles took a really long time to figure out and when I finely did figure it out I mainly felt "That's it?!". It's almost reminiscent to the old point and clicks where the designer exercises his own sense of logic that makes since to no one but himself. It's not that bad here, the puzzles certainly do have logic in them, but they often feel round about and not the most obvious solution.
  14. Apr 25, 2011
    Puts me so on edge I still haven't managed to finish it. I guess that counts as success?
  15. Jan 23, 2012
    With over 200.000 units sold up to date, Amnesia: The Dark Descent is one of the indie top sellers of 2010. This game made me feel terrified like no other, especially for the atmosphere and the fear to the unknown that i had to stop playing it for a while, just like Penumbra. The feeling that you are totally helpless an unarmed, make this for an intense survival experience. If you love survival horror games + psychological terror like Penumbra, well this game is for you, my friend.
    If there is something i'm sure, Frictional Games knows how to scare the s*** out of us.
    Get this game, it's well worth every cent!!!
  16. Apr 24, 2011
    Amnesia The Dark Descent is a frightening rollercoaster ride from the beginning to the end with a plotline what shocks you just as much as the games horrifying looking enemies. Without a doubt, Amnesia: The Dark Descent is one of the scariest games ever made.
  17. Apr 23, 2011
    Amnesia is a great game. If you are looking for something that is different than what your used to, you should defiantly check this out, especially for $20 (sometimes $10 on steam). It is terrifying as well, I still haven't even beaten it.
  18. Apr 24, 2011
    Edgar Allan Poe....THE GAME. I haven't been this creeped out since I first heard Poe's stories recited around a campfire as a kid. Amnesia definitely gives you a feeling of tension and helplessness the whole time you are playing it, and you are constantly checking your back. The macabre atmosphere is done perfectly, and the game setting is a breath of fresh air.

I remember one of the
    levels running for my life and held my breath the whole way before escaping to safety.

Can't wait for this shop's next game, and what a pleasant surprise it was to discover this sleeper. Highly recommended for anyone that likes to be scared, and I would put the single player experience on the same level as Half Life 2 or Dead Space 2, it was that good.
  19. Apr 24, 2011
    The gaming world houses a lot of "horror" games that involve monsters but don't really manage to inspire an emotional response of fear... This game knows how to keep you scared. Creepiest freaking horror game I have ever played. You will not find a creepier game out there, and that is why I give it a 10. Not the best game ever, but it certainly is the top of it's genre.
  20. Apr 26, 2011
    I must say I'm extremely relieved that the mainstream horror genre is not filled with crap such like Dead Space, not saying the game is bad but rather it should fall under a thriller genre rather than horror, because after all..all it does is startle you like when someone says "BOO". I was a huge fan of the Penumbra series and I must applaud again to Frictional Games because they just topped their entire series, the great atmosphere, awesome music and scare you just at the right moment, it's obvious the developers actually played it before releasing, the only part I didn't like about it is it's setting, I loved the abandoned mine setting but again, that's just personal preference.

The same 3 rules of playing penumbra can be applied here

Wear headphones - Ok and done
    Make sure you're in a comfortable position - Kinky. done.
    Turn off the lights and close the curtains - F*** NO!!!

No more need be said
  21. May 7, 2011
    Dark and scary. If you're looking for a game that will creep you out, this is your best shot. The complete lack of weapons to defend yourself with in this game keeps things scary. You'll quickly find yourself immersed in the shaking boots of your character.
  22. May 16, 2011
    One of best game i played. Really horror. All is really good in this game. In my opinion this game must be played, better if u play it at night alone. Sound is very important, and very well developed. If you can enter in Daniel's mind, you will have an incredible adventure. vote:9
  23. Nov 8, 2011
    Frictional Games has done it again! This game looks AMAZING and light, one of the most integral parts of the game, is very realistic and behaves very naturally. Are you looking for a game that doesn't rely on jump scares, but atmospheric unease? Then look no further, this is the game for you. I will admit there are some jump scares in this game, however the pacing justifies them. The setting is genuinely creepy, and it leaves you feeling alone, isolated, and vulnerable. The enemy encounters create a real sense of dread and urgency when you realize you can't fight back. Some of my fondest memories of this game are fleeing from an enemy shouting profanity as I panic. If you're tired of action games that pretend to be horror games, games that rely too heavily on jump scares, or love a creepy atmosphere that builds real tension and horror, this is the game for you. Expand
  24. Oct 4, 2011
    While I can't play the game due to being completely frightened, I LOVE what the devs did here.
    The atmosphere is really thick and dark, easily one of the top horror atmospheres ever created by a game. The player feels just as helpless as the character himself and shares the same confusion. This game involves you on a totally different level than other horrorgames tried before.
    There are no
    weapons or opponents you could attack with them - you are alone with your wits and quick feet.
    Run for your life, don't waste your light and progress through the Lovecraft-inspired story.

If you want a REAL survival horror game, go for Amnesia: The Dark Descent!
  25. Jul 11, 2011
    It's spot-on scary. Really gets you into the game. If you don't have an imagination, they you will probably hate this game.
  26. Aug 29, 2011
    So scary I refused to play it without someone on skype with me. It gave me nightmares too. Sure, the graphics aren't perfect, but the atmosphere makes you completely ignore all that and just fous on staying alive. The way the screen distorts and half zooms in towards zombies, accompanied by suitably terrifying sound effects is particularly effective. It's incredible that an indie studio can pull this off. Expand
  27. May 30, 2011
    I cannot say I've played this game, but I will say it is definitely worth the buy. I've been watching some gameplay videos, and without a doubt it looks like a good game to play. This quite obviously isn't one of those standard horror genre games where your character can destroy everything in their way, who's only horror element is the graphics, music, and a few jump scares. No, this is one of those games you want to play at around midnight without any lights on. What this game does that I haven't seen all too often in a horror game is atmosphere. You find yourself entering the world of Daniel and all the horrors he has to face, and that is quite honestly what makes this game all the more worth playing.

If you're thinking of buying this game, don't look up videos for it, it ruins the atmosphere and fun I was talking about. All the jump scares will be ruined, spoiler's will be abound, and it will ruin your experience of the game. If you think it looks good, buy it. I, like many others can tell you, will remind you it is worth the money. Pay no mind to the Dead Space player down there, there is little reason to hate this game (unless you expected a SURVIVAL horror game, in which case I would probably recommend Dead Space 2)
  28. Jun 1, 2011
    For the first few hours of game-play, I had never experienced more fear of what would come than in any other game I'd played. After tweaking the settings just right and only playing in a dark room with headphones on (a necessity for this game), I nervously inched through the game and held my breath around every corner. Amnesia successfully draws the player right into the terror, and the fear of the unknown drives the game-play perfectly. The intermittent puzzles are just difficult enough to enjoy without hating any tediousness, which had me impressed throughout.

A couple small complaints surface after playing for a while, though. There's always a sadness considering that the graphics could have been better. The voice acting is undeniably boring and the story is a little unimaginative, though that aspect is easy to forgive with the enveloping atmosphere. The thing that took away a LOT from my enjoyment of the game, is eventually I learned an easy way to avoid any trouble with many of the ghosts (spirits/undead/baddies, whatever), and the horror that had my heart pounding and my adrenaline pumping fizzled out. And all that was left was the initial shock of sudden noises, and nothing more. Though there's always the ghost that manages to surprise you when you think you have it all figured out.

I even recorded my reactions, and had fun watching how scared I was at times (though I didn't post it online like I'd planned...I looked stupid getting so scared from a video-game). So in closing, the pro's heavily outweigh the cons in Amnesia, and I'm glad I spent the money to experience this game...it was well worth it.
  29. May 20, 2012
    Possibly the best horror game I've ever played. The horror in this game is done in the best ways possible. The "sanity" feature in the game was something I loved, and it made the game even more scary and interesting. Mikko Tarmia did an excellent job with the music. The story is not the best, but it's still well thought out, and the same can be said about the 1800's setting and atmosphere. The only negative thing I have to say about this game is that the controls can feel awkward and slippery at times. Still, any horror game fan that would pass up a game like this would make the biggest mistake of their lives. Expand
  30. Jul 14, 2011
    trollpower isn't right at ALL. First 2 hours are to get the hang of the game, The rest is scary! This game is one of the most scary games in the world! IT GETS YOU MENTALLY!!! TRY THIS GAME! And it is... really... I cannot explain it!!! :) Most of reviewers didn't point out that if you haven't got enough of it there's the expansion and there's the chance to create your own stories, just check some tutorials!! Horror doesn't mean blood, gore 'n guns. Means that you really experience fear. In that case Amnesia is a perfect game for you. Otherwise to reviewers that gave this game 4 or less, Doesn't know what the word: "Horror" or "Fear" is in a videogame. I'm giving it a 9. because graphic isn't the best thing, Don't get me bad, 9 is a very high vote! of course it contains a whole new physic with the magic HPL 2 graphic engine. But textures aren't in max details and the game's graphics can be improved, though we will see that on HPL 3!! GO ON FRICTIONAL GAMES!!! THIS GAME IS "SCARY" IN THE PURE SENSE OF WORD!!! Expand
  31. Jul 4, 2011
    The best horror game you can find to a computer, The End.
  32. Jul 12, 2011
    Play this game at night, alone, and with no lights on and will sink its teeth into you and it won't let go. The developers succeeded in creating one of the best, most convincing atmospheres I've seen in a game. The attention to detail in the environments makes Brennenberg gives it a realistic feel, and it has a kind of eerie beauty in some parts. Lighting is used particularly well, lighted areas and dark areas contrast sharply, you never want to turn out you lantern or leave the light, but sometimes it's necessary to proceed or avoid monsters. It's that fear of the unknown that drives Amnesia. Sound is a very important part of Amnesia, and the developers nailed it. From the creaking of doors, to the shattering of glass, to the mind-raping screams the monsters make when they see you, it all feels real. The fact that you can't fight back against the monsters raises the tense factor through the roof. If you encounter a monster you only have two options: run, or go hide in a corner until it finds you or it leaves. Problem is, there isn't a very large variety on the monsters, and by the end of the game they aren't very scary anymore, because chances are you've figured them out. They're also in the same spot every time you play the game, so replay value isn't very high here, as they become predictable. The story is told through flashbacks, visions, and notes left throughout the castle. The story is good and you'll find yourself questioning the protagonist's actions, and wonder if he's really justified in what he's doing. The voice acting is mostly good, though a few of the voices (Daniel especially) sound a bit over-the-top. There are plenty puzzles too, although they aren't very difficult, (most involving "going here, finding x, going over there, using x). To be honest, I was hard pressed to find any serious criticisms against Amnesia. As someone who usually doesn't play survival horror games and hates horror movies, I can wholeheartedly recommend Amnesia. If you have any interest in horror at all, you owe it to yourself to try Amnesia. Expand
  33. Jul 22, 2011
    Love it. Absolutely love it! It was intense and engrossing and atmospheric - I played the first half of the game ruining my pants, and then the second half firmly clenched like I was just asked to pick up a bar of soap in the prison communal shower. Which is actually a criticism - i.e. I had to buy new pants and I could have crushed a house brick with how tightly I was clenched. The other thing was the fact that the game seemed to follow a cycle of solve a puzzle then get devoured by a monstrosity of the house and repeat - but hey, it's scary and suspenseful and immersive and all the things I like about horror games - you stay scared and immersed and clenched throughout and the omission of weapons adds to that fact you're a defenseless person because horror games lose their appeal with the accompanying of heavy ordnance (DEAD SPACE!) So all-in-all, good game and worth is for £13, especially as your supporting your independents who aren't just money grabbing whores like Activision and really want to produce good games, which definitely shows with their product of Amnesia - you should definitely hand over your disposable income with this game! Expand
  34. Oct 20, 2011
    I had trouble playing this game for more than 30mins at a time, it makes me nervous, come out in a sweat and then think about it all night long. I kept going back for more. The game does what some of the best horror movies do, it plays on your imagination and uses what isn't there to scare you. The atmosphere, sounds and puzzels are all a treat and so was being thrown through a door by a monster whilst i haphazardly ran away from it.....i'm close to giving this a 10...10 would mean its perfect, its not perfect its just very very very very good and a fantastic price now. Expand
  35. Jul 19, 2011
    This game is from my experiences the best survival horror game developed in years. This game typically plays into people's fears. The fear of being alone in the dark. The fear of being helpless. That moment when you think you hear voices but they're all in your head. This game brings those fears forth into a realistic, blood-thickening, adrenaline surging game. For $15 dollars, it's ten times... no, one hundred times worth it. Expand
  36. Jul 31, 2011
    Normally i don't get or hardly get frightened by horror games but this one... does. Its the perfect horror game that will scare the hell out of you. i recommend to not play it in the dark, its scary enough.
  37. Aug 2, 2011
    What can I say about this game. It is extremely good at what it does. And that is scaring the **** out of you. This is classic Horror 101 and it really is in full glory in Amnesia. The atmosphere is genuinely creepy and I felt myself on edge even when nothing was happening, the mood, atmosphere and music made hairs stand on the back of my neck even when I was just walking around. But there are 2 reasons why I will not give it a full 10. First one is the ending and that is all I will say for fear of spoilers. The second is that the monsters started to become predictable. Once I got a quest item I knew something really scary would happen and I would have to hide. It still terrified me but it was a tad predictable. It would have been better if the monsters had no boundaries. All in all it was a thrilling experience and of the best i've had Expand
  38. Aug 4, 2011
    Short Review: This game scared the &%^$ out of me, awesome story, good controls, audio is amazing, and really puts you into the experience. Hope this helps.
  39. Aug 5, 2011
    I still haven't completely finished this game, I'm to scared for my virtual life! This game if you let it will suck you in and consume you, I recently played another game that has some of the same mechanics such as the heavy breathing and loss of control over your character but it never even comes close to Amnesia, the game hardly gives you a break, no cut scenes or anything like that. The most is when you are reading a paper on a desk or something similar, beyond that, who knows what lies ahead. This game by far is the best horror game out there. Even the 'not so amazing graphics' work in this games favor. Expand
  40. Nov 9, 2011
    Absolutely, one of the best games I've played in 2011. I love games that do things differently and Amnesia is one of the most unique and engrossing experiences I've come across, especially in the horror genre. After a run through of this game, it's so horrific that I haven't been able to push myself to survive another round. Just seeing the icon on my desktop, I'm reminded of the intense moments I had playing this game. A MUST play! Expand
  41. Aug 8, 2011
    Amnesia is brilliantly scary, Frictional games stuck to what they know best, and what they know is how to scare the living hell out of you. Thoroughly enjoyed playing, the puzzles were varied and interesting, astounding atmosphere, never a moment when you are truly calm, there's always a constant threat that you will be attacked, and the game will remind you of that. Can't get much better in Horror games. Expand
  42. Aug 21, 2011
    Amnesia has great gameplay, is very realistic, and frankly, scared the crap outta me, but in this case, that's a good thing! You play Daniel, a guy who for some reason gave himself amnesia and wakes up lying on the floor in an abandoned castle. A very creepy abandoned castle... The game itself has the ability to hide in closets when monsters show up or cry in the dark corner waiting for it to go away which I thought was very, very fun! There weren't many encounters with creatures, monsters (whatever they are) throughout the game but just enough to keep me cautious at every corner. Overall, an awesome game, my only flaw would be the fact it has almost no replay ability unless you've had amnesia yourself and forgot the plot and where all the monsters show up. Expand
  43. Aug 30, 2011
    I LOVE scary things. Scary movies, scary books, scary encounters in real-life, and especially scary games. There's just something about being immersed in it and yet knowing it's not real that makes scary games the best of all scary media. That being said, this is the best scary game I've ever played. The sound is extremely well done (including the voice acting), the atmosphere is amazing, the monsters are truly terrifying (When you hear that high-pitched string sound get louder and louder as they're catching up to you, good luck not making whimpering sounds), and the puzzles are pretty panic-inducing. My only complaint is that there are a few puzzles that are quirky. One where you may have all you need, but you're pointing at the wrong place on this one wall to use the items. Kinda annoying. Also another one where based off what you've seen in the area so far, you might think you need to complete this certain section, so you're scrambling around trying to find the missing piece, only to find out 20 minutes later "Oh nope, you're done already. Just re-arrange this thing." I don't want to give spoilers away, but it honestly annoyed me. Being annoyed takes you out of the terror setting, so boo-urns to that. To sum up: I love scary things in all forms, and this is the scariest, tensest game I've ever played. On multiple occasions being chased by monsters, my whole body started tingling, and I was pushing the run-button so hard I'm surprised I didn't break it. FANTASTIC game. I've never been so scared for such a prolonged period in my life. Expand
  44. Oct 1, 2011
    This game scared me so much i nearly shít the bed.
  45. Oct 30, 2011
    This game made by five core developers and it is scary as all hell. I cannot play it for more than an hour or two or else I start to panic and use up precious resources. The gameplay is a mixture of adventure and resource management (light) with some very tense hiding or running for OH GOD WHAT WAS THAT?! Erm, running for dear life. 335 positive user reviews cannot be wrong. Get this if you love horror. One point off for silly voice acting at parts, but that is the only glaring flaw. Expand
  46. Jun 9, 2012
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is truly a good example of what "horror" is all about. Horror should be about the creepy atmosphere and story it's being placed in. Those cringing moments of anticipating something to come after you. Worse, those terrifying moments of silence. Amnesia: The Dark Descent had all those qualities plus many more. It lacked the use of weapons to defend yourself with but the skills of hiding, running, and closing. You would have a limited juice of light source to keep you from being frightened even more. Oh, and yeah this creature does not have the ability to die at all. But one thing that made this game unique from others is that you would actually have to open and close closets, doors, and drawers by yourself. That's the main thing that makes this game so realistic. I could go on with many things to brag about this masterpiece. Amnesia: The Dark Descent is and will be one of those timeless games for years to come. This is by far one of the most terrifying and unforgettable experience since Silent Hill. This is what you call horror. Expand
  47. Oct 20, 2011
    This is the best horror game ive ever played. Didnt sleeped for weeks because of this but it was worth it. Ive passed 3 times and it still scares me and with the DLC and the Custom Stories even better. Its money well spent, recomend everyone to try it, who wont regreet it.
  48. Nov 1, 2011
    When it comes to sounds and atmosphere amnesia is right up there. The game consists of tricky puzzles and intense missions where you would have to escape from a monster. You start the game finding that you have little memories of your past and that you must follow noted that you wrote in your past to progress through the game. As the game name says your character has amnesia and all the way through the game there are also diary entries from you and other people that you may have met in the past this gives the game a story to follow. The gameplay of amnesia is possibly one of the best experiences you may have the constant eerie noises of floor boards and heavy breathing or nearby monsters keeps you on your toes. When playing through the game you will that it is important to make an escape route at all times and every corner that you go around you make sure there are no monsters. This game does a great job of keeping you alert at all times and playing this game with a headset definitley adds to the effect. The fact that you only have a limited amount of in game items also makes you feel like you must check every room and corner. I would go as far as a noise in your room where you are playing your computer is enough to make you jump . You feel as if you are the character in the game. It is easily noticeable that Amnesia has done this well. Overall this a great game and a great story a would recommend this to anyone who is a horror fan or a game you want to play to wake you up on a Monday morning. Do not keep clear of this game. Get it. Expand
  49. Nov 14, 2011
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a terrifying experiece you wouldnt forget soon.............First of all i am here to confess that i was unable to complete the game(it was scary as hell)or you could say that i lacked the courage to complete it.From the first go you are straight into action with daniel awakening into the castle and ofcourse having amnesia....you cant fight the enemy there is no way you can.You need to escape them using ur wits(the most horrific and terrifying moments believe me).Stay in light or youll be seen stay in dark for two long you risk Daniel's sanity......Welcome to your undead nightmare since you are going to play one of the most scariest game of all times Expand
  50. Nov 15, 2011
    If you like to do puzzles and like to wet you pants this game is for you .
    Fantastic game just incredible i never knew being terrified would be so fun its a must buy grfxs work well its dark and terrifying
    performance seems to fun easy maxed out no problems at all
  51. Nov 17, 2011
    There is no reason to hate this game, unless you hate scary things. This game is definition of scary. The atmosphere and everything. The fact you cannot kill the monsters and you have to run for your life. But you cannot experience the game entirely unless you follow it's instructions; dark room and surround-sound headphones. There's only one thing this game is missing and it's 3D. Too bad 3D doesn't work for OpenGL games. Expand
  52. Nov 26, 2011
    There are many reasons why this game COULD suck. The controls aren't always practical, some parts of the game just feel like empty space, etc etc. But ALL complaints manage to be overruled by a single thing: the Atmosphere. If there's one thing this game has done that NO Horror Movie, NO Horror Video Game, and NO horror Book has ever done, is to ACTUALLY SCARE ME. The use of environments and music in this game make you feel like you're back to being a 5 year old in a dark basement. Some environments keep changing minimally whenever you reenter them, but just enough to throw your brain off and make you think ''oh **** something's odd''.
    Monsters in this game are sparse. But that's actually a good thing, because this way I've been in many situations where I just snuck around like a boss for an hour, never getting caught, thought to myself ''oh hey there's probably no monster here'' and getting overconfident and run around just to find a monster around the next corner that just completely throws you off.
    But beware: This game is only interesting due to the Tension it creates inside you. If you play it during the day you won't be scared at all, and you'll just find the game boring. Playing it over Skype or with friends works fine, as long as your room is dark.
  53. Sep 21, 2012
    Wonderful horror game. I was essentially scared throughout the entire game. The music is great, the atmosphere is spot on, and the story is perfect. My only problem with the game is that I feel as if some its textures aren't polished. One example I experience with faulty textures was when I went through a wall and everything turned black, and then later I took two steps and somehow died. If that were fixed, this game would receive a ten. You most likely will not experience this at all; maybe it was just my **** graphics card, but regardless, the game is quite possibly the best horror game made. Buy it!!! Expand
  54. Feb 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Incredible. My words will probably do it no justice, but I will try.

When I first purchased this game, I found it hard to believe there was so much hype about the terror this game evokes, but almost instantly I found myself scared of every little noise. It just got scarier and scarier, but the creativity in the horror of this game lies in the fact that they never stoop down to the cheap "pop-up" scares. They build up suspense, and have a payoff of absolutely emotionally draining pixel terror. It was by far the most difficult game I've ever played, and I really appreciated the fact that there were no save reverts - everything you did was permanent, including (SPOILER) the end when I forgot to save Agrippa and didn't get the extra-good ending. I first got the **** ending, where the bad guy wins and there is no resolution to the saga of Daniel, but when I tried again I got the ending I was looking for - I killed that bastard Alexander, even though he and I were both similar in the fact that we were victims of circumstance acting as agents for a greater evil. There was so much depth in the little plot details they gave you, including the moral ambiguity. And the puzzles - the puzzles were **** hard, and it took me a total of about 12 hours to finish the game, and I only looked up the solution to a single part - the prison - which was a **** maze and I don't consider that to be part of the difficulty.

In the age of tired-out sequels and rehashing the same formula of first person shooters, this game is only contested by Skyrim in my 2011 GOTY.

But definitely the GOTCentury for the feature of dozens of uncircumcised naked men. God, if the modern day gaming industries is lacking one thing these days, it's dicks, and natural ones.
  55. Nov 27, 2011
    Without a doubt the best and most beautifully done gaming experience out there. The scares are genuine, and the horror is real. This game is, in essence, a fear simulator. You know those train simulators? This is pretty much a fear simulator, only a captivating story was built around it. I enjoyed this game more than any other game I have played. It's super cheap, it goes on sale a lot on Steam (I got it for $4), and I'd say that it's worth far more than that. This is the easiest ten I will ever give. Expand
  56. Feb 13, 2013
    This is a great game. While it did not scare me, because it's not my thing, I was amazed at how well the story was written, how astounding the music was, how developed the characters were and how challenging some of the puzzles were. Looking forward to the sequel.
  57. Dec 15, 2011
    Each game has its own purpose. Some are to have an exciting and skilled FPS experience, some are micromanaging games where you build up an empire, and some games succeed at these goals to certain extents. Amnesia: The Dark Decent was made to redefine terror, and immerse yourself in such a dark and horrid nightmare and it does just that with utmost perfection. The horror and paranoia i felt while playing this game was just so intense, it FEELS like you are there and being in a moment of life/death in this game was such a terrifying thrill ride. Honestly, this is one of the very, very, very few games out there that truly deserves a 10/10 Expand
  58. Dec 20, 2011
    Imagine a game where you are stuck in an evil castle-type place, and not have any weapons!! Just the thought of it gives me goosebumps. I think because you genuinely fear for your mortality, it makes it all the more immersive. You can literally only place this game alone, at night, with your headphones on loud and no lights on. Otherwise, you might just get a tad confused, lost or bored ... I couldn't complete the game without having to check various online sources for solutions to a few puzzles, so that's not good. But because it isn't an expensive game, and it looks and feels so damn scary, I have to give this game an 8. Hope the people that made this game get out there and do another one, but bigger and bolder! Expand
  59. Feb 12, 2012
    Its been a long time since I've played a true survival horror game. This is not only an immersing and incredibly scary game, its a fun and addicting game to play. I found myself pausing the game and sitting there waiting for my heart beat to slowdown! The physics in the game is great you can interact with almost everything making you feel like your part of the world. There is a lot of thinking like when to use your lantern, when to use a tenderbox on a candle or torch. The story and editor are also awesome, with custom stories and mods this is an amazing game that may never end! Expand
  60. Feb 12, 2012
    Finally! A survival horror game - that is a survival horror game! Well done gaming industry as a whole! Was it really that difficult? Anyway, enough of this obnoxiousness. I thoroughly enjoyed Amnesia despite it's clunky controls. Genuinely terrifying with a very well told story that requires player exploration instead of intense cut-scene overkill. The removal of combat that was present in the Penumbra series (also made by Frictional) really helps keep the pace and prevents frustrating mouse swinging angst. You survive by running and hiding. The shadows are as much your friends as they are your enemies adding an element of risk to all of your actions. To a certain extent it has the same appeal as a well thought out point-and-click adventure with simplistic gameplay that allows you to get absorbed by the terrifically dark atmosphere instead of having you scrolling through inventory lists and entering attack combos. This game won't be for everyone, and many people will simply be bored by the lack of action and direct story telling. But I don't think this game was ever trying to grab a mainstream audience and all its appeal is rather quite niche. But nonetheless, it is a game that most should at least visit, for it truly is a welcome sleeper indie hit for us horror fans. This game is best played in a dark room with a decent headset. In fact I refuse to play this game during the day! It's also a good idea to have your face pressed up to the screen so you sh*t yourself quicker. True story. Expand
  61. Jun 4, 2012
    A truly remarkable puzzle game, Amnesia is not for the faint of heart. The game takes advantage of ambient creaks, moans, and other creepy sounds to keep you constantly on edge, making the game super immersive. Once I heard a noise and felt something tap my shoulder. Immediately I started hyperventilating and holding down shift while sprinting, teeth gritted, down the hallway, until I realized that the enemy was actually my brother, who had snuck up behind me and tapped my shoulder (The little troll) There were a couple "Jump out and shout boo" monsters, but there was a lot of subtle creepiness that kept you at the edge of your seat. (And when nothing happens, you get closer to the edge of your seat. Then the monster pops out and you fall off your seat, promise you will never play this horrible, wicked game again, respawn, and keep going.) One point where I was genuinely terrified didn't even have any monsters. At a few points in the game you will have a big room leading to lots of separate rooms, each with their own set of minipuzzles, to solve. At one point I arrived at one such room, and quiet, relaxing music played. The room was well lit, carved with some nice beautiful architecture, paintings, fancy windows, it was like a safe haven. And then I solved the puzzles. When I returned to my safe haven, strange organic pulsating pinkish blobs of flesh appeared. The lights went out. The paintings changed. The fountain no longer looked like a lady bathing, but like a lady being drowned and eaten alive by a little impy thing. I felt terrified. I felt violated. I felt sick. My safe haven was destroyed, my sense of security and trust breached. I wanted to STOP PLAYING THIS GAME. It was exhilarating and I loved it. The puzzles themselves are fun, not too easy, not too hard, and not too frustrating. Some of them are Fix-the-Machine-puzzles, some of them are Throw-a-human-limb-across-the-room-so-that-you-can-make-a break-for-the-door-and-try-to-escape-while-an-invisible-demon-chases-you puzzles, but they are all interesting. I only have a little bit of critisism and that is the sanity. I think my character is afraid of the dark, and rightly so, because based on the sound effects, when it is really dark a ghost sneaks up on me and crinkles Jolly Rancher wrappers in my ear. I just don't get that. Penumbra wasn't my favorite game, but at least I could still solve puzzles in the dark. I guess that is the reasoning behind it though. Penumbra just wasn't scary because I could turn up my brightness and kill the enemies. In Amnesia the enemies are unkillable and there is an actual incentive to not just play in the dark with brightness up super high. All of Amnesia's neat features turned it into what I can safely and easily call the scariest game I have ever played. All in all, Amnesia. Great game. Scary. You buy. You buy now. Unless baby. If baby do not buy. Expand
  62. Jan 18, 2012
    Not a fan of puzzle game usually, I really got into it, especially thanks to the survival-horror side of the game. If you playing it like it's meant to be (alone, in the dark, headphone), it is a scariest game ever. The audio is amazing, graphics are decent enough for a full immersion. I liked the fact that you are scared at all time during the game, you are really under pressure, where in games like dead space, it's just punctual fear which is going to make you jump out of your chair (which I think is the easy solution in scary entertainment). A must have if you like horror games. Expand
  63. Jan 19, 2012
    There's nothing more scarier than your mind playing tricks on you. Here in Amnesia you expect the worse to happen, but a low rate. Examples being that these creatures somehow could and will mess with you through out the whole game. Amnesia is a game where the possible becomes the horrifyingly impossible as you journey through darkest places battling your own sanity for light. The graphics are well devoleped considering that the eriee feelings of darkness and pop-outs really set the mood. And of course lets not forget the monster designs that look specifily spectacular. (No Spoilers Will Be Added On What They Look Like!!!) The sounds, if playing with a turtlebeach headset, will sound more than realistic as the screams and cries make you turn your back in the darkness to look for someone behind you. You won't have to worry about staying awake, as you grow deeper into the game, you'll never want to sleep again fearing your own sanity. (God, I felt like I went into that WAY too much.) The gameplay is rather incredible considering the puzzles you'll rough over, the stradegy of hiding behind certain objects for your own life, and compelling story that just craves for an ending all things considered. This grame reaches not only the gameplay but will even reach your mind as your trying not to scream or cry at the levels and monsters you run from. If you ever need to keep yourself awake, need a good scare to put on for your friends, or playing it just for the thinking you have to get this. You'll love it... if youre not in fetal position in a corner of your bedroom. Expand
  64. Jan 27, 2012
    This game is #6 on my top ten favourite games of all-time. In Amnesia: The Dark Descent, you play as Daniel witch if you haven't figured out yet, has amnesia. This game game is CRAZY on scares. The thing that made me jump the most, was in the Storage room and I don't want to spoil it. The monsters? Don't even get me started on those, the first time you play, they are scariest things ever, but once you play it a few times, it gets less scary. The graphics could be improved and there are some bugs that I have found, but overall, great game. Expand
  65. May 7, 2012
    New, refreshing, and scream-inducing. Buy this game the day before Halloween in your college dorm, grab many snacks, and prepare to keep everyone else in your building awake at night. I'm not going to explain the game since that would take away from it. Just try it. Trust me. Best played with friends in the dark at night.
  66. Mar 21, 2012
    This game... No... EXPERIENCE is the most frighting time I have ever had playing any videogame (no, this is an EXPERIENCE!)! Other games do rely on the player acting violently against enemies, but that only gives me a few jumps out of my skin, and I can kill them: that's all. But, this--this gives you the shivers throughout the time, wondering what the BLOODY heck I am going to do NEXT... It is frightening--to call it scary is an insult. I believe this going to be AT LEAST as successful as another great indie EXPERIENCE--Minecraft! Oh, and if you are on for seizures, or just don't like being scared or shivering your nuts out to the bone: this is NOT for you.

I am EXTREMELY impressed with this EXPERIENCE. This deserves a 9.5/10 from me! You can also find this review at http://s-me.weebly.com/amnesia-the-dark-descent.html!
  67. Feb 29, 2012
    Wait until nightfall. Sit down at your computer, put your headphones on, turn on Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and get ready to poop your pants. I have never played a game scarier than this. Penumbra: Black Plague was terrifying, but Amnesia: The Dark Descent is deliciously repulsive, horrifying, and mystifying. I highly recommend this game to anyone who wants to stay awake until dawn.
  68. Jun 22, 2012
    Perhaps the best survival horror game to grace my PC ever. Amnesia keeps you hooked from start to finish, if you can even get that far. The shocks are purely atmospheric with little to look at or do other than physics puzzles.There is no combat which makes hiding from the monsters that much scarier. Perhaps one of the best PC games to happen since Half-Life 2, Amnesia:The Dark Descent is a must buy for any indie, horror or PC gamers. Expand
  69. Apr 8, 2012
    This is one of the best games Ive seen, ever. This is undoubtedly the scariest game i think ever created. Me and my friends often find people to play this game, and we all gather round to watch them crap themselves with fear.
  70. May 3, 2012
    This game is the most intense game I have ever played! the atmosphere is terrifying. Also the game shows originality and very unique, most horror video games gives you an option to fight back and defend yourself. And Amnesia is a different type of game play that actually requires stealth and hiding. A nice storytelling makes a good game. -the-epikninja
  71. Feb 7, 2013
    The only game out there that will literally make u shiver in fear. Close the door, turn off the lights, get your headphones, and prepare to pee your pants.
  72. Apr 4, 2013
    This game is definitely one of the high points of the survival-horror genre. However, before playing it, you should know what to expect; if you're expecting something more similar to Dead Space 2 out of this, you will have a bad time. It's not that kind of horror game. Gameplay isn't all that great, maybe 7/10, but the intense atmosphere makes up for it. Amazing sound, good (not too good, but more than enough) graphics...

There's quite a lot of difference between Amnesia and most horror games, the main one I see being monster density. Monsters aren't very common. This is partially justified by your lack of self defense, but the real beauty in this is that you never really stop being scared of them. So instead of a lot of shootable monsters, you get a few very dangerous and terrifying ones.

Now, "A few monsters" isn't really enough to keep the scares going. Amnesia solves this problem in an ingenious way. With the creepy ambience, the constant tiny creaks from the foundation, and even the illusory footsteps Daniel hears when low on sanity, you genuinely never feel completely safe. Aside from the tendency to encounter monsters while backtracking after grabbing an important item, it's pretty danm hard to predict where one will show up.

Anyway, the point of the game is to make the player feel as scared as possible. So, don't play to win, play it just for the sake of being scared.
  73. Jun 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very few horror games today embrace the most terrifying form of horror there is: subtlety. That knowledge that something is there hunting you down and is constantly getting closer to you that brings us to the masterpiece that is Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I can honestly say I have walked away from my computer at times screaming with shock and terror from what has come from this game. It truly brought back horror into my heart. While the game still produces fear in me, I still question some of it's elements that make it the horror game it is. There is no way to defend yourself from the creatures hunting you. And while this aspect is what defines the horror in it (meaning all you can do is run and hide with what dignity you have left), I daresay I would be one of those hero's in the story to pick up a rock or stick to defend myself in dark dungeons and labyrinths. I cannot count these as cons to the game because the creatures are truly unearthly. The very chill they send through your spine is the stuff of nightmares and I doubt even I with the logical sense to defend myself could stand in front of one and not panic. This game redefines horror showing us all how it's done. Not for the squeamish or faint-hearted but then again, even the most fearless of gamers have walked away from this game shaking! Expand
  74. Oct 31, 2012
    Have you ever played Myst? And kno Bioshock was the best game of all time? Puzzle games totally suck because they totally forget what the word "logic" means. "Scary" movies haven't scared you since you were a child. Sooo Amnesia has all of that. This is a really great game. The only way you can't get scared by it is by thinking you're way too cool and you keep your guard up. Way, way up. In which case, you're only ruining the fun for yourself. Put on headphones, play in the dark. Lose yourself. The sound is amazing, which is critical to terror. Monsters, on a technical scale are only ehh, but when you combine it with the rest of the game, become horrifying poetry. There is also some of the deepest story I have ever encountered, and I only really like to play games with a ton of story. It's more like you're playing a book, but it feels like a movie you're directing... and suffering. You will not get a better form of Art in most modern AAA titles. I just got this for $5 on Steam, and I wish I could donate more to the company if I could. Personally I kinda wanna give it a 9 only because I really suck at puzzles, but compared to 99% of other digital titles, this game is an 11 out of 10 Expand
  75. Jul 14, 2012
    This is an amazing horror game. I'd even call it brilliant. I learned things about myself by playing this. I probably don't have to tell you that Amnesia succeeds in being scary - it succeeds hard. I often had to remind myself that it was just a game and I wouldn't really die if the monster got me or I wouldn't be able to move forward. Video games have a unique ability to evoke fear in an audience and I feel this game absolutely takes advantage of that. Through its visuals, sounds, mechanics, and storyline, Amnesia succeeds in creating a very focused experience of helplessness, curiosity, and fear. I don't give it a ten because I feel there are three things I still have room to complain about. For one thing, despite not seeming like it at all, the whole game is highly scripted, so once you've played it the whole way through you have very little reason to go black and play it again. It's also best to play it alone so you can't have fun watching other people play it without cheapening the experience for them. Second, the storyline is a bit underwhelming towards the end. It only feels this way in the very last room of the game, and its not too pronounced, but I felt they could have done better. The multiple endings are still good though. Lastly, (*spoiler*) and this might tie in with the storyline thing, but through the whole game, I was under the impression that there was only one monster chasing you through the castle. He seems to be in a lot of places at once, but I thought he was part of the whole "shadow" thing and maybe he could teleport. However, a little over halfway through the game another monster comes in and kills the first and starts hunting you instead. Then the first monster shows up again and it becomes apparent that there's a whole bunch of these things all over the place and they're actually the big bad's henchmen, which I felt just made them a whole lot less significant, mysterious, and scary. That really cheapened it for me and I still prefer to think of it the other way. However, no one else I've read has mentioned that so maybe it's a personal thing. Expand
  76. Jul 17, 2012
    It's very hard to make really scary game, but Frictional Games did it. The main story took me about 6 hours, but after that i started playing custom stories. I gave 10 points because this game has everything! - Beautiful atmosphere, - Scary main story, -Scary monsters and - New custom stories every day. This game don't need weapons. They would ruin the idea of the game. People just concentrate on shooting. But every time i start this game, i enjoy it very much :) Expand
  77. Jul 18, 2012
    It would be impossible for me to leave spoilers in this, for I cannot beat the game. I have played the game, with my friend, for all of about an hour so far. We can't do it. We haven't seen a single monster yet, and we cannot continue forward. The game is just scary, it carries on-wards in the ways of freaking you out of your skin. We picked up a book, and accidently slammed it against a metal door, and it scared... The living... *Bleep* out of us. We of course continued forward, and got up to a point where our lantern ran out. It was at this point we really started to get.... on edge... To say the least. We found a small amount of oil and used it, continued forward. We were about to go through a door there was a hint stating something similar to "Hint: When there are enemies nearby, try to run and hide in the darkness" , this was the point where my friend (Who was playing at the time) said "I can't do it, just can't. I'm done". I of course proceeded to give it my shot. Within a minute, not even a full minute, I started to walk through the door with no lantern, and slowly opened it... When I saw something move. I backed up frightened into a corner and just stood still. I heard "Tip... Tap... Tip... Tap" Not of water, but of footsteps. The screen went blurred, and moved as if we had just been turned into a ghost and back. I gave up. We cannot continue for quite a while... We don't have the power-up from Binding of Isaac, "Balls of steel", or the other power-up of "Masculinity". I guess we just haven't spent enough time to get the "Puberty" one either. We're little children in this game. We.... Are... Done. Have fun everybody! Expand
  78. Jul 19, 2012
    for the people that try to downpour this brilliant horror game obviously haven't played a good game yet. Amnesia is probably the best TRUE horror game out there, not only does it scare the **** out of you it involves high amounts of strategy and careful thought one you actions. for the people that try to downpour this brilliant horror game obviously haven't played a good game yet and are 40 year old lards you sit in front of there computer all day. Expand
  79. Sep 20, 2012
    Creepiest game i have ever played in my live. I am sill having nightmares because of this game.. And the custom stories make this game much more than just the main story.. Actually the main story wasnt so great so -1 for that.
  80. Sep 29, 2012
    I have to say that this is the scariest game I played, a lot scarier then Slender. If you are about to play this, have headphones on and play in the dark. So many moments I'm just going through a dark and creepy hallway and suddenly a monster comes around the corner and is going towards you fast, forcing you to hide, it just scares the crap out of me. And watching your sanity go down MIGHT make your real sanity go down. Other then the scares, the game play and story is pretty good. A lot off the puzzles are just so hard and genius that it takes me 10-20 minutes to figure them out. If you have at least a mid range PC, you should get this. Expand
  81. Mar 9, 2013
    Amnesia unlike most horror games brought an entirely new entity to Horror Games. Being complete vulnerable to enemy attacks, with the only defence of running and hiding in an eery castle complex in 1839 makes this a lot more fun! With only a lantern and a limited supply of oil, Frictional Games surely know how to keep on scaring people! 9/10
  82. Oct 26, 2012
    This game really does deserve the title of "World's Scariest Game". After playing the game for about ten to twenty minutes, I was wondering "Is this it?" and to be honest I wanted to backhand them for making a crapy game and calling it scary. I couldn't have been more wrong, the game absolutely scared me. I have never played a game that instilled fear into me like this: fear radiated through my body, the rush of adrenaline, heart pounding, jumping at every groan, splash of water and almost any other sound.

Okay, the downside, the graphics weren't the best, but the detail and architecture really did create the perfect mood for the game. Excellent use of sound all throughout the game; I did turn my volume down to zero to see what the game was like without the sound and to be honest, it was really calm, so well done on the sound effect. The plot was average, it was fitting of the mood though and it didn't need an awesome plot to be scary. I really liked the idea of being harmless, although I did try to pick up a chair and wave it around madly trying to fight off that horrible zombie thing. One thing that disappointed me, was the I could jump up onto a desk or a pile of rocks and the zombie couldn't get to me, it kind of ruined the mood when it was walking into a desk trying to move forward. The camera wobble was a bit annoying, although it did fit into the game, but overall I didn't like it.

In summation, it is a very good game and I enjoyed the scare I got from it; although I wouldn't advise this game for children or anyone who gets nightmares. Apart from that I advise you to play it.
  83. Nov 24, 2012
    This game is scary as hell, but is fantastically scripted. The AI is amazing and this is the only game you can get a true fear feeling in. Excellent graphics, especially shadows. Also, it has a well written and intriguing storyline. Has some very minor bugs, which do not effect the game. I would go as far to say this is the most frightening game EVER created.
  84. Nov 27, 2012
    I love this game... The atmosphere is incredible, and the fact that you can't kill the monsters and you actually have to run or hide, is amazing. I really like it. Also, hearing weird noises gives an incredible feeling. I actually congratulates the creators of this game because it's fun to play this game and freak out.
  85. Dec 6, 2012
    This game feels like an Edgar Allen Poe piece. Its extremely dark and thoughtful in feel... And I was disappointed it finally ended. With so many things done right, its hard to believe such a small group created this creative masterpiece.
  86. Jan 3, 2013
    I have never been more scared. That's all you need to know. Love the setting, the audio is absolutely phenomenal, the pacing is precise. What's not to like about this game?
  87. Jan 13, 2013
    This has to be one of the most atmospheric games I have ever endured to play in my life. You've got a squid-looking guy walking around, making your swallow your tongue, and watching your heart drop through your intestines. It is amazingly scary. People think this game is "trash", and it's "not scary", play it once. We'll see if your mind changes. The game itself is horrifying, but I wish there was more to it. There needs to be something there that just sparks your mind and makes the game better than it already its, on this one though I am going to have to score it good overall. Not recommended for players that get easily scared though. This is one of the most highly recommended games I have for you. Expand
  88. Feb 13, 2013
    Behold immersion through sensory deprivation! As paradoxical as the previous sentence may seems, I'd suggest that's exactly what Amnesia succeeded to achieve. The game's premise is that you are alone, chased by a living nightmare from which you can only hide from. Being completely vulnerable, you constantly keep you ears open for some unknown sound, being in the dark, relying on the frail light of your lantern, you keep scrutinizing for somewhere to hide or for some way to escape through and being on the verge of sanity, your heart keeps pounding, your breathing gets heavier: the immersion begins. Soon, you learn that your only way out of this nightmare is only forward, deeper where all the horrors come from. All this, makes Amnesia a game you'll never forget (no freakin pun intended) if only for the atmosphere it creates. Aside from keeping your head cool, progressing in Amnesia requires you to solve puzzles and obstacles, most of which are logical and well integrated. In all, this makes it one of the best game-play experience I've had in some years.

Technically, the graphics are very decent (not even considering that it's an indie production) but where the game shines most is perhaps in it's sound effects which are greatly responsible for the realistic feeling of this game.

I'm not aware of much games in the style of Amnesia but in the end, if you liked it, I strongly suggest you try Miasmata.
  89. May 18, 2013
    There are two common comments that need to be struck down here. One, this is not some boring point and click escape game. The people who say it is just an escape game were too scared to actually get to the good parts of the game and never really passed the "tutorial stage". Also, for those comparing it to Dead Space, how could you possibly think this game would be like Dead Space? It is not an action or shooter game, the way you survive is by using your wits and hiding. It is very fun, you will be scared half the time, and the other half you will be running from the thing that was previously scaring you. The suspense in this game is amazing. Expand
  90. Jun 25, 2013
    Horror games have never really scared me. Typically, they all followed the same patter: suspense followed by jump scare. After a while, they just didn't seem too scary anymore. Thinking that I would be able to handle it, I started playing Amnesia. Boy was I wrong.

Simply put, Amnesia: the Dark Descent is the scariest game I've ever played. Everything from the chilling atmosphere to
    amazing sound design helped to make this one of the freakiest experiences I've ever had in a game.

Nothing is quite as scary as hearing a noise, hiding in a closet for dear life only then to be assaulted by a hideous monster. It's a feeling of terror that I haven't had with any other game, one that makes the hair rise on the back of my neck

The only issue with this game are the graphics, which aren't bad. They're just somewhat outdated.

If you like being terrorized, be sure to pick this one up.
  91. Mar 6, 2013
    This game scares me like no other. You can't fight back, so your best bet is to avoid the monsters whenever possible, and run like hell when you can't. It's an eerie on-edge feeling punctuated with adrenaline-rush moments. The story is quite captivating; sometimes I wish the game weren't quite so good at scaring me so I could get through the story more quickly.
  92. Sep 5, 2013
    I used to play this game with my brother. He moved. I don't play it anymore because I'm too scared to play by myself. For this, the game gets a 10. I have not been too scared to play a game by myself since Silent Hill 2. By the way, I only put in 3 hours of gameplay. Still too scared.
  93. May 22, 2013
    Is Amnesia the best horror game ever made? Sadly that answer is no. But it is da*n good and worth a spot in the top 5. The games atmosphere not only sets up the best experience for this game, but uses lighting, sound, and suspense in some of the best ways possible in a horror game. You cant kill what is hunting you and you'll be having insane amounts of fun while also being terrified out of your mind. Again, not the scariest game ever made but it is one of the best horror games. Expand
  94. Sep 1, 2013
    A truly scary games okay the graphics are not so good and it sometimes gets a bit predictable when a enemy spawned outside the room you finished a puzzle in. but the way you are always running and hiding makes you feel very weak. Unlike say Doom 3 or System Shock 2 which are very atmospheric games but since you have a lot of heavy weapons you aren't scared so buy it off steam and play it with the lights off and the volume up with a headphones Expand
  95. Apr 2, 2013
    More an experience than a video game. And a really amazing experience at that. The cult classic really delivers with its atmosphere and feel, which suck you in in minutes. The vast amount of custom stories ensures hours of entertainment beyond the main story. As a downside it can sometimes be difficult to get your room lighting right for playing. Amnesia is a game that can be pulled from the shelf many times and it has the same chilling charm every time. Expand
  96. Apr 29, 2013
    Le jeux est magnifique! ses sure qu'il y avais quelque bug dans les mure mais pour un jeux fait par un petit groupe! il est ultra bon! moi je vous dit jouer avec sa vaux la pane! si tu aime les jeux d'horreur ses un peux jeux a jouer pour le commencement!
  97. May 11, 2013
    Very good peace of work. I love it very fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun game. It is not like dead space at all; you can't kill your enemies and that's what's so fun about it. It tells you at first just have fun and kind of "go" into the world of Amnesia. GENIUS! It is the perfect way to get into the game. And when I bought this I bought it at night, so I played till like what? 11:30 maybe, and I couldn't go to sleep later. So got up and played again. VERY addicting game. The only reason is why I am only giving it 9/10 is because the sanity drains like crazy. I put my lantern down for 2 seconds and it starts wigging out and 10 seconds later my dude's about to pass out or die or something. Expand
  98. May 18, 2013
    When you tell me about "Survival Horror" and name games like Resident Evil 4, Silent Hill Homecoming, etc. I can only be disappointed. This game did its job well. It still is my favorite Horror-Game. The graphics are pretty well for an indie-game and the story is fun, too. But the best thing about this game is its atmosphere. You never feel safe, when you play it.
    I can't wait for the
    second Amnesia. I hope it will be at least as good as this one. Expand
  99. Jul 26, 2013
    You can of course watch some of the famous let's plays of this..... but it won't be the same. Play it with lights off, headsets, and volume turned up. This game does it's job perfectly. Not for the faint-hearted.
  100. Aug 9, 2013
    The best horror game I have played since Silent Hill 2. This game has truly mastered what makes a game scary, the atmosphere and complete helplessness of your character really hammers it in. The story is also very interesting until the ending where I think it fell flat.

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the scariest game in years. You'll get an extremely creepy vibe from the castle and all of the mysterious things that are happening there. The voice overs and the ending of the game aren't great, but this shouldn't bother anyone seeing how you'll be extremely scared when you play this on your own in a dark room.
  2. Jan 31, 2011
    Amnesia offers an experience so rich that we're willing to forgive its weak ending, imperfections of the engine, and low-bugdet production values.
  3. Jan 29, 2011
    At times it's a struggle to play purely because of how scary it can be, and it's not often you can say that about a video game. Just remember: lights off, headphones on, and try not to go insane.