• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Feb 17, 2011
8.7

1. Sep 17, 2010
    The "Survival-Horror" genre is losing its touch. These days, games that carry the title are much less about horror and more about things jumping out at you for a cheap scare. Even the survival aspect is often pushed to the back burner in favor of making an easier game accessible to a more general audience. As a result survival-horror fans are getting action games with a few scary momentsThe "Survival-Horror" genre is losing its touch. These days, games that carry the title are much less about horror and more about things jumping out at you for a cheap scare. Even the survival aspect is often pushed to the back burner in favor of making an easier game accessible to a more general audience. As a result survival-horror fans are getting action games with a few scary moments shoved down their throats.

Amnesia isn't like that. Amnesia focuses on three things: atmosphere, survival, and, above all else, horror. Before players start the game, a warning is given that the game should not be played to win. It should be played to allow one's self to be absorbed into the world of Amnesia. Those that follow this advice will be in for the ride of their life. From the very beginning of the game, Amnesia's immersive and completely unsettling world will have you questioning if that sound is something moving, or if you're just going insane. You'll be afraid to go around the next corner, lest something horrifying is there. But you won't be able to stop.

With the recent release of the same development tool kit that the creators used to make the game, players can make their own stories. With a bit of creativity and just a bit of that sadistic love of horror, we'll be seeing good things come from Amnesia for a time to come.
  2. Sep 17, 2010
    This game is amazing...-ly frightening. The game takes advantage of all the little details of human nature not usually included in video games, and by combining heavy breathing with dizziness and eerie creaks, I practically became the person in the game. In fact, some times I would hear something to the left, and I would look away from the monitor myself. And more than just being creepyThis game is amazing...-ly frightening. The game takes advantage of all the little details of human nature not usually included in video games, and by combining heavy breathing with dizziness and eerie creaks, I practically became the person in the game. In fact, some times I would hear something to the left, and I would look away from the monitor myself. And more than just being creepy is the realism of the game, although some things are designed unrealistically on purpose, it just makes you feel like you're going crazy. I must admit I was scared many times, and the subtle revealing of the plot as you advance gives you more understanding of the situation, yet makes you feel even more scared. It doesn't require much puzzle-solving, but its goal is to scare me stiff, and frictional games did an excellent job of that. Expand
  3. Sep 10, 2010
    This is by far the most haunting and eerie game i have ever played. The graphics are decent, but the game itself doesn't completely rely on the graphics to create such a scary atmosphere, it's the brilliant sound design and narration. This game will have you jumping in your seat when even the slightest odd thing happens, let alone the real scares, some of which created a genuine feeling ofThis is by far the most haunting and eerie game i have ever played. The graphics are decent, but the game itself doesn't completely rely on the graphics to create such a scary atmosphere, it's the brilliant sound design and narration. This game will have you jumping in your seat when even the slightest odd thing happens, let alone the real scares, some of which created a genuine feeling of terror for me. Seriously, this game blows the Penumbra (up until now my favorite horror games) completely out of the water. Ten times over. Bottom line: if you loved the Penumbra series, get it. If you did not play them, get it. The 15-ish euro price tag is just stealing the game, because i would have still bought it if it where 40 euros. Frictional Games, you truly outdid yourselves. Already can't wait for a new game from you. I love you Frictional Games!! Expand
  4. Sep 9, 2010
    Tense beyond anything you've ever experienced in the gaming world. Manages to top the Penumbra series by a mile...and that's saying something. Great graphics, eerie ambient sounds and a deep psychological story. Don't miss this one!
  5. Sep 27, 2010
    Where Amnesia differs from other horror games is that you have absolutely no weapons whatsoever, creating this feeling of complete and utter helplessness as you are stalked around Castle Brennenberg by an unknown shadow. "Survival horror" games such as the Resident Evil series are no longer "survival horror"- they are 3rd person shoot-'em-ups. Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a trulyWhere Amnesia differs from other horror games is that you have absolutely no weapons whatsoever, creating this feeling of complete and utter helplessness as you are stalked around Castle Brennenberg by an unknown shadow. "Survival horror" games such as the Resident Evil series are no longer "survival horror"- they are 3rd person shoot-'em-ups. Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a truly terrifying game due to the atmosphere created on your computer screen. I personally can't play it for more than five minutes without having to stop and tell myself "It's only a game"- definitely the horror element doing its job. Expand
  6. Sep 16, 2010
    You thought Dead Space was scary? It doesn't even hold a candle to Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Believe the hype, this is the stuff nightmares are made of.
  7. Sep 9, 2010
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a must have for survival horror and more specifically fans of the Looking Glass Technologies style of gameplay.

Amnesia is a wonder of minimal gameplay mechanics. The pacing of the game is much more fluid than similar titles within the genre - Thief, System Shock, Bioshock, Penumbra, etc. Puzzles for the most part are logical and most of the time come natural. This is what sets the game apart from the packs. Using an inventory system taken from classic adventure gaming - combining objects, yet the puzzles that utilize the inventory objects are never nonsensical in the way many other adventure games use the mechanic. Since the levels are heavy in atmosphere the level design is fairly simplistic which only benefits to keep the player engaged and helps to move the puzzle solving along.

The sound design is top notch. The sound designer took field recordings were really well recorded; feels very real, atmospheric, foreboding. Amnesia is just as much an aural experience as a visual experience, sometimes the sound is so intense with the gameplay that I've taken off my headphones just to continue. It can be that intense. The story is actually very well written and sinister. Though, largely the environments are seemingly empty they are alarmingly alive with past atrocities.The 'find-documents-along-the-way' game mechanic has been done so many times in this genre. But, never has it been done so well. The story is very well written and will capture your attention unlike in other games that deploy this element. They are somewhat reminiscent in tone with the Thief series and it definitely helps that some are very well voice-acted.

The visual insanity mechanic is wonderful. I don't want to spoil it but it is visually much like tripping on LSD. Which is swirling textures, disorientation... it's pretty neat.

The physics mechanics, the atmosphere, the story, the pacing, the presentation. It's immaculate. It's very polished and much more fluid than Frictional's previous endeavors and that is saying a lot. This game is simply a must buy for those into Looking Glass type games, horror, or innovative games in general.
  8. JFF
    Sep 8, 2010
    One of the best indie games of the year. The puzzles are clever, the sounds is magnificent and the atmosphere... wow boy, the atmosphere. You can play this game at 12:00 PM in a sunny Sunday and still the game will scare The hell out of you. A must buy for horror fans.
  9. Oct 2, 2010
    Penumbra is one of my favorite horror games, but this is even better. This game really shows how a psychological horror is supposed to be made! It's really worth buying, especially because it's so cheap.
  10. Sep 8, 2010
    this game is great , very similar to penumbra but is much scary , it should be more games like this. I give it a nine because storyline could be better
  11. Oct 13, 2013
    A horror game that is ACTUALLY scary.... I mean REALLY scary... allow yourself to be immersed and then terrified and be stunned that a level that was essentially a platformer became a stress inducing terror.
  12. Nov 25, 2010
    I was never good with horror movies. Turns out, I am not very good with horror games.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a brilliantly engineered experience. The game does a job of scaring you witless, but many of your worries will be of your own creation. Using gloomy graphics and clever ambience, you will see monsters where there are none, and run away from thin air. The game has an

The game has an intriguing story that draws you in and slowly unravels the mystery of Brennenburg, the eccentric Alexander, the protagonist Daniel and the evil that lurks in the shadows.

Amnesia deserves a place in the Hall of Fame for an experience that will leave you anxious to walk down a dimly lit hallway.
  13. Apr 19, 2011
    This is the Greatest Horror survival game to date. the mouse actions are good, the atmosphere is dark and terrifying, and its only 20$. oh and if you do pick it up, do as the game says: adjust the gamma and contrast , play it in a dark room by yourself, with a good headset. - Nov '10

OH GOD! why does this game effect me this much. maybe I take it too serious. Might not be so bad If I didnt care about not Dying so much. the piano just started playing.and I heard a moan back that way. I dont want to go back, but I have to. AAAAAAH! -Dec '10

I had to start over, didnt copy my docs saves when I Reloaded my OS. Even though I have been through the some areas before, I still dont know if the creature is gonna pop out or not. and every moan and Squeak makes me flip around, or run to the nearest door and turn the lamp off. Its Great. - Jan '11
  14. Nov 13, 2012
    Because I am not human and therefor lack human emotions, I am unable to become physically "scared". But, this game has more presence in that department than any game I have played. More please!
  15. Jan 3, 2012
    After I had finished Amnesia: The Dark Descent, I felt I could wear my victory as a badge of honor and experience against any and all horrors the video games industry could throw at me. For nothing could possibly compare to the masterpiece created by Norden and Frictional Games.

These folks have fear down to a science. Suspense that makes you remind yourself (hopelessly) that it's just a game, scenery that's to die for, music expertly integrated into your nervous system, sounds that quickly match your heart rate, a story I can't believe didn't come out of a novel, and seamless game play between fleeing horrors your friends won't understand and Valve-worthy physics puzzles.

The only hurtle for me was that this game did not immunize me to horror, but had by all means destroyed me. Thank you Frictional Games. Indie delivers again.

It's a shame Amnesia was not made by Russians, because you don't beat this game. It beats you.
  16. Feb 12, 2012
    Finally! A survival horror game - that is a survival horror game! Well done gaming industry as a whole! Was it really that difficult? Anyway, enough of this obnoxiousness. I thoroughly enjoyed Amnesia despite it's clunky controls. Genuinely terrifying with a very well told story that requires player exploration instead of intense cut-scene overkill. The removal of combat that was presentFinally! A survival horror game - that is a survival horror game! Well done gaming industry as a whole! Was it really that difficult? Anyway, enough of this obnoxiousness. I thoroughly enjoyed Amnesia despite it's clunky controls. Genuinely terrifying with a very well told story that requires player exploration instead of intense cut-scene overkill. The removal of combat that was present in the Penumbra series (also made by Frictional) really helps keep the pace and prevents frustrating mouse swinging angst. You survive by running and hiding. The shadows are as much your friends as they are your enemies adding an element of risk to all of your actions. To a certain extent it has the same appeal as a well thought out point-and-click adventure with simplistic gameplay that allows you to get absorbed by the terrifically dark atmosphere instead of having you scrolling through inventory lists and entering attack combos. This game won't be for everyone, and many people will simply be bored by the lack of action and direct story telling. But I don't think this game was ever trying to grab a mainstream audience and all its appeal is rather quite niche. But nonetheless, it is a game that most should at least visit, for it truly is a welcome sleeper indie hit for us horror fans. This game is best played in a dark room with a decent headset. In fact I refuse to play this game during the day! It's also a good idea to have your face pressed up to the screen so you sh*t yourself quicker. True story. Expand
  17. Aug 1, 2012
    One of the best true horror games of all time. This is game is not for the faint of heart, you will be scared **** A must buy for every horror fan.
  18. May 16, 2012
    Have you ever imagined playing a game in which you are afraid to check what is beyond the next corner, behind the next door ? I have, and boy was I with mixed feelings while playing this game. Amnesia: The dark descent is a game in which you do not have your guns with which you can shoot monsters between the eyes, nor blades with which to cut them to shreds for trying to kill you ... nope.Have you ever imagined playing a game in which you are afraid to check what is beyond the next corner, behind the next door ? I have, and boy was I with mixed feelings while playing this game. Amnesia: The dark descent is a game in which you do not have your guns with which you can shoot monsters between the eyes, nor blades with which to cut them to shreds for trying to kill you ... nope. The dark atmosphere, blood spills from paintings, screams that you hear in the begining of the game that echo in your mind until you finally lose the courage to continue on and just Save+Quit is what you will expirience in this game. Darkness is all around, making you lose your sanity and the only thing that could probably help you out is a little candle or a oil lamp - that is what keeps you from losing your mind in the game - light ! I will not spoil the story and start telling what you will see and thus spoiling all the "fun" you will expirience. The only thing I can tell you is this - must buy for all horror fans ! And even if you ARE an extreme horror fan - do NOT get overconfident - this game will crush you if you take it lightly ... think I am joking ? Play it at night on a widescreen monitor with all the lights turned off, doors tightly shut, headphones strapped tightly to your ears and dare finish the game in one go ... I dare you ! The story and game is said to be 4-5 hours ... well it took me 5 times starting the game with 2 hours of game time ... I couldn't afford any more of it, else you can't sleep at all !

For those that are "graphics obsessed" I can say that the game may not be in CryEngine 2, but the atmosphere from the sounds and everything else will make you stop paying attention to how pretty that rocking chair in the room is and make you ask yourself non-stop "Oh my God, what is that behind the corner ?!?!?!?!?!"
  19. Sep 28, 2012
    Anyone who loves horror should definitely try Amnesia. This game is able to enter into the human psyche, so if you follow the advice given before starting (play in the dark with headphones) you will certainly be taken from the atmosphere around Daniel.
  20. Dec 17, 2010
    This game concept was new to me, as I have never played a survival horror on the PC, there is so many things that make this game great the most important is how the game always keeps you on the edge of your seat ready to jump up and shout in fear. The main features of this game are adventuring, puzzling and crapping yourself with fear, the games monsters aren't the only thing that keep youThis game concept was new to me, as I have never played a survival horror on the PC, there is so many things that make this game great the most important is how the game always keeps you on the edge of your seat ready to jump up and shout in fear. The main features of this game are adventuring, puzzling and crapping yourself with fear, the games monsters aren't the only thing that keep you on your guard as there are factors like sanity, stay in the light and you will stay sane, stay in the darkness however and your sanity will start to decrease or witnessing unnatural events will as well. The game has great graphics and spectacular sound and atmosphere, this is a must play! Expand
  21. Oct 24, 2010
    Amnesia is a game of horror that truly honors the genre: It scares. The gameplay mechanics for the game are at first disheartening: There's no way to defend yourself, other than hiding or outrunning whatever you bump into. But, that's the beauty of it. The game inmerses yourself. It doesn't punish you for being killed, but it instead seeks to inmerse yourself completely in the game so youAmnesia is a game of horror that truly honors the genre: It scares. The gameplay mechanics for the game are at first disheartening: There's no way to defend yourself, other than hiding or outrunning whatever you bump into. But, that's the beauty of it. The game inmerses yourself. It doesn't punish you for being killed, but it instead seeks to inmerse yourself completely in the game so you truly feel fear for not knowing what's around the corner or hiding in the dark. And, the puzzles themselves are at the same time challening but with solutions reached by the use of reason and exploring.

Graphics are quite good considering the minimum requirements that the game asks. I have seen a review from one critics that he struggled on making this game playable. I don't really know what game he was playing, but this one didn't require from me even a minor tweak to get good fps or to fix any bugs. It simply sets the recommended settings depending on what graphics card that you are using.

The story is quite good and makes your moral compass struggle between what's right and what's wrong. This game is also about collecting clues to regain a sense of what happened and why you don't remember anything.

So, to sume it all up, it's a must buy and it really has an excellent value considering the $19.99 price tag on steam. Hell, if I would have known that it was this good, I would have payed $49.99. It truly is better than most titles that reach the $49.99 price tag.
  22. Nov 4, 2010
    Amazing game. Delivered the much loved penumbra-esque atmosphere, yet felt nothing like Penumbra, which is a plus in my book. The atmosphere, the story, the intensity and the gameplay mechanics all suck you in. I only wish it were longer! (and that the end was a bit better...)
  23. Nov 5, 2010
    Initially watching a You Tube video of a Halloween special from TotalBiscuit, I grew curious of the game and followed the immersion factor that TB had placed himself in as was recommended by the developers. I have yet to purchase the full version as I had only tried the demo of the game. But even the demo itself is capable of making one jump from their chair and/or have an accident;Initially watching a You Tube video of a Halloween special from TotalBiscuit, I grew curious of the game and followed the immersion factor that TB had placed himself in as was recommended by the developers. I have yet to purchase the full version as I had only tried the demo of the game. But even the demo itself is capable of making one jump from their chair and/or have an accident; depending on the person.

What Amnesia gives you is a first person survival that reminds me of elements from Half-Life puzzles, Doom 3 sudden enemy appearances and events, and enemies that are so twisted and flayed that I would expect that Alma from F.E.A.R. to do.

To recap I intend on setting aside of few nights to stay up all night and experience the terror that Amnesia will have in store for me in the full version of it. It created a hunger for utter terror in me that I'm not sure that I should be ignoring it or concerned about it.
  24. Nov 6, 2010
    I confess that this is not the sort of game I usually go for but I decided to give it a try for several reasons: I'd read numerous reviews singing it's praises; it was a bargain on Steam over the Halloween weekend; it is available on multiple platforms (I am a big fan of supporting developers who support my freedom of choice for OS) and I believe in supporting indie games development. II confess that this is not the sort of game I usually go for but I decided to give it a try for several reasons: I'd read numerous reviews singing it's praises; it was a bargain on Steam over the Halloween weekend; it is available on multiple platforms (I am a big fan of supporting developers who support my freedom of choice for OS) and I believe in supporting indie games development. I was pleasantly surprised therefore that Amnesia: The Dark Descent really does live up to the hype (which I suppose I am adding to!). Amnesia exceeded my expectations in almost every regard: the graphics, while not on a par with AAA+ games, were strong (excellent for such a small developer); the audio was truly superb; the levels were well designed; the puzzles were (for the most part) logical and necessary and the story was compelling. All of this combined to great effect to make an incredibly immersive game that simultaneously drew me in while making me want to stop playing and go outside into the sunshine for a while - with clear lines of sight and heavily armed just in case... So why not give the game 10 out of 10? Aside from a couple of occasions in the game where I was unsure what to do next, which in reality probably says more about me that the game, my only criticism would be that ending was weaker than I'd expected. Maybe this is something to do with how well constructed the rest of the game was but the ending felt quite abrupt. After playing Amnesia I am keenly aware that this is what a survival-horror game should be. Other games I have played recently using that label, such as the Left 4 Dead games and Resident Evil series, do not come close. Amnesia introduced me to fear, the need to survive by hiding in the shadows on the edge of sanity, the dread of knowing there was nothing I could do should I be found, before unveiling the horror of the reality in which I found myself and which both fascinated and repulsed me... Somehow I just don't think facing horrors with a shotgun will ever instill that same sense of fear and dread...

Frictional Games is definitely a developer i shall be following in future.

Overall Amnesia is an experience I would recommend to everyone... except those under the age of 18 or with a weak disposition... :-)
  25. Nov 11, 2010
    Haunting. Harrowing and a bona fide cult hit. Do you remember that scene from the original Resident Evil when you walk into a mansion room and see the first zombie chomping a corpse - and he looks up and goes for you! Or recall the first time you see Pyramid Head in Silent Hill - both classic scary gaming moments. Both put to shame by Amnesia. Yes, it is that good. And yes play it with theHaunting. Harrowing and a bona fide cult hit. Do you remember that scene from the original Resident Evil when you walk into a mansion room and see the first zombie chomping a corpse - and he looks up and goes for you! Or recall the first time you see Pyramid Head in Silent Hill - both classic scary gaming moments. Both put to shame by Amnesia. Yes, it is that good. And yes play it with the light off with spare boxer shorts on hand. Survival horror just got re-invented. Combat takes a back seat, intelligence takes the wheel. - CuRiOuS Expand
  26. Nov 12, 2010
    i cant play for too long before turning it off because its so intense, it sets up an amazing atmosphere, along with great graphics and near perfect game play it really is a great game that no one should miss.
  27. Nov 19, 2010
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a breath of fresh air for survival-horror fans. Anyone who's an avid gamer knows most survival-horror games involve a larger-than-life hero, toting mass arsenals of highly destructive weapons used mainly to plow through waves of demons, zombies, mutants, etc...
    Well, Frictional Games took a different, and highly innovative, approach to surviving a nightmare; they made the lead character as weak and fragile as possible, then threw him directly into a story of mystery, violence, shattered memories, and impending doom with only his cunning, and a small lamp at his disposal. This combination of great story, challenging puzzles, dark atmosphere, and realistic characters make Amnesia: The Dark Descent a masterpiece of survival horror and a great addition to any genuine horror fan's gaming library.
  28. Feb 12, 2011
    One of the most draining, terrifying, screamy-fit-inducing games ever made. Why you would want to play it is beyond me, but that doesn't make it any less of an absolute work of genius.
  29. Jun 14, 2011
    Wow, my friend owns this game and we only play it at night to add to the already creepy atmosphere this game delivers so well. I don't even play the game, I just watch, and I must say it plays a lot like a good old fashioned scary movie. The only reason I don't want to play is I know I would get the crap scared out of me if I sat closer to the screen; being a bit farther back I take myselfWow, my friend owns this game and we only play it at night to add to the already creepy atmosphere this game delivers so well. I don't even play the game, I just watch, and I must say it plays a lot like a good old fashioned scary movie. The only reason I don't want to play is I know I would get the crap scared out of me if I sat closer to the screen; being a bit farther back I take myself a bit out of the first person aspect. Man it eats at your imagination! Expand
  30. Feb 11, 2011
    I don't know if i'm qualified to review this game yet: I didn't finish the game. But I plan finish it real soon. I only managed to make about 30 minutes in before chickening out. This game is on a WHOLE NOTHA LEVEL. Quote me on that. If any game is going to beat this in horror, it need to be where the main character only has a box of matches in a graveyard while it's raining.
  31. Feb 19, 2011
    The true Survival Horror, even if it lacks at the technical department its a true masterpiece, it achieves what no game has ever achieved so perfectly, Scaring people, which should be the primary goal of a survival horrors, lastly survival horrors such as Dead Space have focused on the action part and have failed in the scare part as the primary trick they have to scare people areThe true Survival Horror, even if it lacks at the technical department its a true masterpiece, it achieves what no game has ever achieved so perfectly, Scaring people, which should be the primary goal of a survival horrors, lastly survival horrors such as Dead Space have focused on the action part and have failed in the scare part as the primary trick they have to scare people are Necromorphs just falling of the ceiling , on Amnesia the whole atmosphere is scary, as your light sources are very limited and you have no weapons aside from the darkness which is a double-edged sword as it can act as cover but will drain your sanity. Expand
  32. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is absolutely horrifying and beautiful. I honestly do not know why I bought this game because I am not a fan of horror games at all. After finally collecting my nerves I played the game and was absolutely traumatized, but I mean that in the best way possible. Between the immersion, horror, story, and puzzles, I was enthralled and on edge yet always wanting and ready for more.This game is absolutely horrifying and beautiful. I honestly do not know why I bought this game because I am not a fan of horror games at all. After finally collecting my nerves I played the game and was absolutely traumatized, but I mean that in the best way possible. Between the immersion, horror, story, and puzzles, I was enthralled and on edge yet always wanting and ready for more.

Definitely one of the best games I have ever played.
  33. Apr 22, 2011
    As I was a Penumbra player who followed and pre-ordered the game months and months before it was out .I loved this game, and was worth all the waiting in the world for it to come out.

The true and ONLY Survival Horror.

MUST: Play at night, with headphones on, and lights off. You're doing yourself a great disservice if you don't.
  34. Apr 7, 2011
    Scariest game Ive ever played, 3 of us sat down in the living room with the speakers turned up in front of a 32in lcd. We would scream. There is one level that simply horrified my friend early on, nothing but loud shrieks coming from mid 20s grown men. After a few hours we would have to take a break for a few days to get the urge to scare ourselves to death again. Excellent atmosphere,Scariest game Ive ever played, 3 of us sat down in the living room with the speakers turned up in front of a 32in lcd. We would scream. There is one level that simply horrified my friend early on, nothing but loud shrieks coming from mid 20s grown men. After a few hours we would have to take a break for a few days to get the urge to scare ourselves to death again. Excellent atmosphere, sounds, good graphics, good puzzles. I got this for 10 bucks, and regularly its 20. THIS IS AMAZING FOR 20 BUCKS and a steal at 10. Buy this now and scare yourself, but be warned, for me I couldn't play the demo more than 15 mins alone. Then my friends made me buy it and we played it together. Our wives must think we are wimps to scream this much at a game. Expand
  35. Apr 20, 2011
    This is one hell of a game. There is no game that I have ever played that comes close to this kind of gaming. Games like Doom, Resident Evil and Dead Space are scary, but when you come face to face with a monster that has their jaw hanging down to their chest, and you have nothing, NOTHING, to defend yourself with, a jolt of terror runs through your whole body. It goes beyond scary andThis is one hell of a game. There is no game that I have ever played that comes close to this kind of gaming. Games like Doom, Resident Evil and Dead Space are scary, but when you come face to face with a monster that has their jaw hanging down to their chest, and you have nothing, NOTHING, to defend yourself with, a jolt of terror runs through your whole body. It goes beyond scary and frightening, it makes you scared for much longer periods of time, rather than just getting startled and regaining your stature. I found myself many times running for my life, with the growl and footsteps of the monsters following closely behind me. Both of my arms would be shaking because I was so terrified and it would be harder to open and close doors because I couldn't click on them properly, being out of control scared was something I literally have only experienced in nightmares. The graphics are nothing to be bragging about, but by no means are they bad. They provided a good well balanced environment that fit the story and the fear perfectly. The thing that impressed me the most about this game, were the sounds. Very masterly done. I played through this game with a pretty high grade vibrating headset, the sound quality was outstanding. The voice acting, some of the best I've ever heard. I can honestly say that if I had played through this game with no sounds, it wouldn't have come close to the level of fear produced as it did with sounds. Between the terrifying monsters that the characters only hope of surviving was running for his life, and the sounds, this game delivered a 1-2 punch straight into my fear center. I found myself quitting because I was too scared at times. Puzzles are another important factor of this game. Fun and intuitive they kept my brain from getting too relaxed. Difficult at times left me wondering if I would ever get past them, I did have to cheat a little and look up solutions. Overall: A very, VERY fun game. very scary and deep, it has an amazing storyline that doesn't leave you with questions. Expand
  36. Apr 23, 2011
    An experience created only by a few people, but that proves developers don't need a huge team to make an unbelievably horrifying game. Not only is this game incredible, but it takes a different approach to the now existing horror genre and completely goes the other way. It's a fresh experience, with well thought out sequences and horrific creatures. In the end, it creates an extremelyAn experience created only by a few people, but that proves developers don't need a huge team to make an unbelievably horrifying game. Not only is this game incredible, but it takes a different approach to the now existing horror genre and completely goes the other way. It's a fresh experience, with well thought out sequences and horrific creatures. In the end, it creates an extremely tense and insane design. It's so well done, that it is one of the scariest games ever made. It doesn't achieve this by giving fake scares, it scares you psychologically, until you can't play anymore. Expand
  37. Apr 19, 2011
    Scariest game that I have played in a long time. This one will have grown men shaking. Best played late at night in a pitch black room alone. Headphones are a must.
  38. Mar 8, 2012
    I hate this game... but in a good way. I hate playing it because it scares me. I've not played a game like this in ages... in-fact I don't remember ever playing a game like this. It is truly amazing. When I walk home in the dark it causes me great paranoia!

If you're afraid of the dark... I highly recommend not playing this! Scratch that... I recommend you getting over your fear, playing this, then releasing your fear didn't leave you!
  39. Jun 25, 2013
    I was not scared by Dead Space or Silent Hill: Homecoming. I was not even remotely scared by Resident Evil 5 or 6. Condemned: CO and Condemned 2: Bloodshot had maybe 4 or 5 creepy spots. There are not really any horror games anymore.

Well, Amnesia is a real survival horror game. It's the first game to actually make me nervous and keep me nervous since I was 9 years old. You'll fear the dark, you'll fear the little grubs that hide in shadows, and you'll fear the scratching noise behind your eyes. Most of all, you'll be scared the moment you realize that you literally don't know if something is right behind you.

As if Amnesia isn't good enough, it's moddable and allows players to create their own stories. There's a ton of fan-made content online.

This is everything a survival horror fan could want in a game...
  40. Dec 23, 2011
    First of all, I want to say I'm an extreme horror buff. Between movies and games, I can't get enough. This game was definitely one of the scariest things I've ever had the chance to witness in my entire life and I loved it. Now that probably makes me a little bias for this game but I don't really care at this point. The biggest thing this game has going for it is the atmosphere. FranklyFirst of all, I want to say I'm an extreme horror buff. Between movies and games, I can't get enough. This game was definitely one of the scariest things I've ever had the chance to witness in my entire life and I loved it. Now that probably makes me a little bias for this game but I don't really care at this point. The biggest thing this game has going for it is the atmosphere. Frankly I've yet to see anything come close to the kind of atmosphere this generates throughout most of the game (the beginning is a bit boring but once you get past that it gets really good). You will be freaked out immensely by playing this game and that's the best part. Yea there are some things that this game doesn't do well, including a lack of conveyance on where you need to go at times and what you need to do, but it's easily something you can get over if you are REALLY into scary things. And take it from someone who's seen tons of scary movies and games over the years: this will freak you and anyone else you know out so much you might not sleep for days afterward. Buy it and you won't regret it (or you will after you play it for awhile....but that's the best part :)) Expand
  41. May 11, 2012
    This is my all time favorite game. I am always on the lookout for games that can elicit a real emotion. This game does just that. Its atmosphere and immersion set you up for incredible scares. It turned out to be the game that has inspired the most emotion of any in me.

That's not to say that it's perfect. Its graphics clearly show that it is an indie game. Beyond that the ending is disappointing and there are sci-fi elements that detract from the story. Regardless it's one of the greatest games in terms of emotion and immersion.
  42. Jul 16, 2012
    This game just killed me. The feelin is just beyond awesome 11/10.,.,.,.,.,.The sound effect is awesome! 10/10.,.,.,.,.The graphic not reli good, envirnoment not real enough, the monster not scary enough! They can make it better! But the cloudy effect when you see the monster just kill the problem of bad graphic monster. 7+3/10.,.,.,.,.
  43. Jun 3, 2012
    Oh jeez.. Where do I start..
    Okay, the sounds are amazing, the whole feeling of the game is amazingly scary. The storyline is interesting in my opinion..
    But after I finished the water part, my conclusion of this game was:
    "Who needs sleep?" *nervous laugh*
  44. Jul 16, 2012
    I wanted to accept the challenge that I heard from all the hype. I am a very hard person to scare. As a child at the age of 5 years, my father let me watch anything I wanted. He would stay up with me all night watching monster marathons on television. I figured this game couldn't scare me. HOLY CRAP, I was wrong.
  45. Jun 14, 2013
    This game sets the bar for all horror games for decades to come. This game dwarfs Dead Space, Resident Evil, and Silent Hill. Besides the alluring environment, the creepy atmosphere of the game will keep you on your toes. I had heard of how scary this game was so when I first began playing it I was overly expectant of something to pop out at me. Finally, after not seeing anything scaryThis game sets the bar for all horror games for decades to come. This game dwarfs Dead Space, Resident Evil, and Silent Hill. Besides the alluring environment, the creepy atmosphere of the game will keep you on your toes. I had heard of how scary this game was so when I first began playing it I was overly expectant of something to pop out at me. Finally, after not seeing anything scary for a level or two I let my guard down, and boy, did I pay the price. This game has its jump scares but it has no need to rely on that; this game is a psychological horror. The moment you're expecting to turn a corner and find a monster lurking there, naturally, it won't be there. The monsters aren't the most terrifying things in the world once you've seen them up close for awhile, but they still managed to get my heart racing and elicit a sense of urgency when they appear from the shadows.

The story in this game is another riveting aspect of it. Daniel's journey through Brennenburg is one of self-discovery. Notes written by Daniel in a pre-psychotic time provide a wonderful backstory as to Daniel's motives for his vendetta and the lore of Brennenburg's history.

Amnesia is a game to be immersed in; not won. None of the 4 possible endings to the game offers a definitive sense of victory, only one of appeasement; accomplishing your goal. Some ignorant people may denounce this game because of a lack of action, story, etc. but that's part of the experience. Sure, games like Dead Space and Resident Evil are more action driven, but I think that takes away from the horror of the game. Moreover, The past few entires in those series haven't been as scary and more shooters than survival horror games. Amnesia as no weapon, your main method of defense is running and hiding from monsters.

All in all, Amnesia is one of the best games to have arrived in recent years. It sets the precedent for what all survival horror games should strive to hope to achieve. That's not to say I want to play a carbon-copy of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but basic innovations on the concepts introduced in Amnesia could create an enthralling masterpiece that goes down in video game history as the scariest game ever. as it stands now, Amnesia has clearly owned that title.
  46. Sep 19, 2013
    One of the best horror games made in this year. It's tension keeps you occupied and keeps the terror high up for the rest of the game. What? Too scared too play?
  47. Jun 26, 2013
    Dark and gritty survival horror game. With well thought out level design this game creates an awesome chilling atmosphere that really makes the player feel like their in the horror or the game.
    Never have I played a game like this, Well worth the asking price.
  48. May 18, 2013
    When you tell me about "Survival Horror" and name games like Resident Evil 4, Silent Hill Homecoming, etc. I can only be disappointed. This game did its job well. It still is my favorite Horror-Game. The graphics are pretty well for an indie-game and the story is fun, too. But the best thing about this game is its atmosphere. You never feel safe, when you play it.
    I can't wait for the
    I can't wait for the second Amnesia. I hope it will be at least as good as this one.
  49. May 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the scariest games i ever played. It dosnt have a combat system so your only chance for survival is to run and hide which makes the game a lot more scary. You never feel safe. It got a scary atmospher and it works. It also has a good story line. Some scary dark places and scary monsters there will give you nightmares. Short said everything is scary. And then there is something special that made me keep playing for a long time. You can go to websides like: MODDB and download costum maps made by other players. And there is a LOT! You can also take your time and make your own costum map. It is a great and scary game. I would wish that there was more different monsters because you get tired of the same monsters every time. But the good thing is that you can make your own monsters if you make your own custom map and there is some people that did that very well. The graphics could have been better but i won't take the game down for that because it don't need it. It is nearly perfect as it is. Trust me on this one. This game will play with your sanity and it will scare you. Expand
  50. Jul 17, 2013
    Not as scary as I anticipated, but the music and sound really adds a lot to Amnesia. Brilliant storyline and quite fun gameplay, Amnesia will keep you entertained for hours on end no doubt!
  51. Oct 4, 2013
    Amnesia is a amazing horror game that has creative monsters and atmosphere. story puts you in the shoes of Daniel who must stop an old man from covering the world in darkness unable to fight off the monsters you must hide from them. you are scared even before you get a glimpse and when the music starts playing your heart pounds in the game and out play with the lights off for the bestAmnesia is a amazing horror game that has creative monsters and atmosphere. story puts you in the shoes of Daniel who must stop an old man from covering the world in darkness unable to fight off the monsters you must hide from them. you are scared even before you get a glimpse and when the music starts playing your heart pounds in the game and out play with the lights off for the best experience and remember to keep your door closed you cant sleep after playing this amazing game. a cool thing you can do f your creative is create a custom story with a editor and share with the world. do you think you have what it takes you can purches this game on steam or the website. I give this game a amazing 10/10 Expand
  52. Sep 4, 2013
    I cant play this game alone. Really i cant. I am 29 years old and i have to play with someone or with the lights on. I have to keep pausing it or throw my headphones off. After playing this game i can safely say that no film can scare me as this has raised the bar.
  53. Sep 16, 2013
    This is far and away the most terrifying piece of media I've ever encountered. No movie, book, TV show, or other game can match the terror of Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Every detail from music, voice acting, plot elements, and puzzle solving has been meticulously crafted to scare the player to death. For its artistic merits alone I've recommended it to literally everybody I know!This is far and away the most terrifying piece of media I've ever encountered. No movie, book, TV show, or other game can match the terror of Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Every detail from music, voice acting, plot elements, and puzzle solving has been meticulously crafted to scare the player to death. For its artistic merits alone I've recommended it to literally everybody I know!

This is one of the best games I've played in years! If you haven't at least tried it, you're missing out!
  54. Nov 17, 2013
    This is the most amazing horror game ever The story line is very interesting and you cant stand of computer because you are very interested what will happen next! Monsters are well designed and very scary! And at last thing that i liked the most in Amnesia... Custom Stories!!! You can play on a map which is made by another person So this is the best scary game ever!
  55. Sep 9, 2010
    Just finished one (of three?) endings tonight. The way the game presents itself - atmosphere, pacing, even the ambient sounds all add to a tension-filled session of gameplay. This is a *must have* for anyone that's a fan of Atmospheric horrors, such as Penumbra and Silent Hill. The story was just as enjoyable for me, revealing why the player-character, Daniel, willingly took a tonicJust finished one (of three?) endings tonight. The way the game presents itself - atmosphere, pacing, even the ambient sounds all add to a tension-filled session of gameplay. This is a *must have* for anyone that's a fan of Atmospheric horrors, such as Penumbra and Silent Hill. The story was just as enjoyable for me, revealing why the player-character, Daniel, willingly took a tonic that gave him amnesia. The climax of that story made my jaw drop into my lap for the first time since BioShock's twist. Expand
  56. Sep 10, 2010
    Best horror game since the Penumbra series themselves. Do i need to say more? Well put it this way, within about an hour of playing i was TERRIFIED of playing any further and i was enjoy ever second of playing it at the same time. Just simply amazing experience.
  57. Sep 28, 2010
    A beautifully crafted game that makes great use of sound to create a tense, horrifying atmosphere. As others have suggested, if you'd played any of the penumbra series, you will certainly enjoy this game. My biggest recommendation for players is to do what the game says, turn your lights off and use a really good pair of headphones; be aware however... you may have nightmares.
  58. Sep 15, 2010
    I thought Penumbra was scary, but this is best horror game so far. Playing at night in dark quite room can get you a heart attack! I love the atmosphere, story, puzzles and the physics in this game.
  59. Sep 13, 2010
    An unimaginably scary experience with an unimaginably terrifying and philosophically questionable story, hiding/running from monsters is terrifying and puzzles are often intuitive. Sound is brilliant, with just plain amazing ambient noises that make you scared to move on for fear of encountering a monster in the next room, and nightmare fuel music.
  60. Sep 10, 2010
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is simply the best survival-horror game which came out in a while. It's a 'must-have' for all horror-survival fans and, of course, PC owners.
  61. Sep 9, 2010
    The complete vulnerability evokes the most intense emotions while also adding adrenaline to your fright fed furnace like no other game currently available today.
  62. Sep 15, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the best games I have ever played. The atmosphere is gorgeous. The game play is very straight but in its simplicity it's perfect. Add freaky monsters, entertaining plot and great ambiance and you should have no dilemma about buying this game. It's absolutely outstanding and miles away from other survival horror games. I can ercommend this game to everyone who like to be scaried. Expand
  63. Nov 2, 2010
    A truly remarkable horror experience, you won't find cutting edge graphics or Hollywood voice-acting but what you will find is true fear and tension that even sometimes you would want to quit just because you're too scared to carry on.
  64. Oct 15, 2010
    This game itself has to be the best game I've ever played in a long time, including the scariest game for me too! The atmosphere, story and artistic environments all add up and present a game with a deep, spooky atmosphere, a complex yet interesting story, and the most cleverly designed environments in a game. Frictional Games have managed to impress many and scare the hell out of peopleThis game itself has to be the best game I've ever played in a long time, including the scariest game for me too! The atmosphere, story and artistic environments all add up and present a game with a deep, spooky atmosphere, a complex yet interesting story, and the most cleverly designed environments in a game. Frictional Games have managed to impress many and scare the hell out of people yet again. Good luck and a thanks to Frictional Games. Expand
  65. Oct 17, 2010
    I think Amnesia : the dark descent is one of the scariest games ever made. We can see a very few mistakes, but we can understand that because the game was made by an independant developper. I really love Amnesia because all the games that qualify themselves has "horror-survival" are not scary at all, I think about Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil 5 (even if I love these games too), when youI think Amnesia : the dark descent is one of the scariest games ever made. We can see a very few mistakes, but we can understand that because the game was made by an independant developper. I really love Amnesia because all the games that qualify themselves has "horror-survival" are not scary at all, I think about Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil 5 (even if I love these games too), when you see a zombie, you kill him with a shotgun and that's all. In Amnesia, you run and hide, the only answer to the encounter between you and a monster is to escape. The fear is omnipresent, when you hear screaming voices, when you open a door, when you go into the darkness of a room without light, your heart is going crazy. This is one of the game I will remember all my life as a game of quality. Expand
  66. Nov 2, 2010
    They hype around the game's fear-factor is well justified until later in the game when much of the fear is replaced by horror of a different kind....
    I'd also say the use of sound is the best I've come across in all my years as a gamer and only wish my headphones had not broken days before I got the game. Still, played at high volume in the dark had the desired effect.
    Graphically very

Graphically very strong with well implemented sanity and disorientation effects.

The story is decent, certainly daring (I think the Devs have read the same disturbing book as I: The Roots of Evil). At times though, the lead actor hams it up a bit too much and if I was reaching to find more weaknesses I'd say it was on the whole a bit too linear and the clues often obviate the need to think too much. The ending also left me wanting thought I predict that was deliberate.....

So while nothing is perfect in this world; since this game cost me just £7 and appears to have been created by a team of about 4 people, it scores a solid 10!

An absolute triumph for Indie Development and I look forward to their next offering!
  67. Nov 2, 2010
    This game is by far the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced. Add to that excellent physics puzzles and a gripping story, and you've got what should be outselling the latest COD or Halo title by a longshot.
  68. Nov 12, 2010
    A spiritual successor to Frictional Game's impressive Prenumbra franchise, Amnesia: The Dark Descent breathes life into a dieing genre; offering what is probably one of the most terrifying experiences in the gaming industry and easily the best horror game to grace gamers over the last ten years. If you consider yourself a fan of Survival Horror; you owe it yourself to purchase this game.
  69. Feb 16, 2011
    There are a lot of things to love in this game. The atmosphere, the locations, the bone-chilling horror, are all done well; however, the horrendous English voice acting really pulls the player out of the experience - enough so that I feel 8.5 would be the right score. This is a shame, because Amnesia is one of the best "survival horror", or whatever you want to label it, games available.There are a lot of things to love in this game. The atmosphere, the locations, the bone-chilling horror, are all done well; however, the horrendous English voice acting really pulls the player out of the experience - enough so that I feel 8.5 would be the right score. This is a shame, because Amnesia is one of the best "survival horror", or whatever you want to label it, games available. One minor complaint are the flat textures and somewhat sluggish controls. However, I fully realize that this is an independent game, and the budget and resources available are far less than a developer like CAPCOM or Konami has to work with. All things considered, and with the exception of the voice acting, this is probably the scariest, and best-conceived game I have played in this genre since Silent Hill 3 and Fatal Frame 2. I also applaud the creators for taking a considerable risk when they could have easily made another sequel to their prior games. Expand
  70. Jun 14, 2011
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is, in almost every sense of the word, scary. Scary as in the obvious, "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT THING AND WHY IS IT CHASING ME?!". The horror of Amnesia is something I have never quite seen in other games. Instead of little startles here and there to momentarily freak out the player (games such as Dead Space 1 & 2 express this quality in bundles), Amnesia goes forAmnesia: The Dark Descent is, in almost every sense of the word, scary. Scary as in the obvious, "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT THING AND WHY IS IT CHASING ME?!". The horror of Amnesia is something I have never quite seen in other games. Instead of little startles here and there to momentarily freak out the player (games such as Dead Space 1 & 2 express this quality in bundles), Amnesia goes for the masterpiece symphony kind of scary, where the horror is carefully crafted with the players emotions and feelings in constant mind. There is no set place that a monster will be in at a time, rather it patrols the area that you are or could be in. This not only triggers the scared, yet curious emotions in the players brain, it also adds a great deal of immersion into the atmosphere. You see a room you haven't explored yet, one half of your brain is telling you to go in and explore, "You might find something of value in there and progress through the game, and after all that's what it is a GAME". But the other side of your brain is pleading with you, "Don't go in there! There's obviously going to be a monster in there that wants to eat yo-WHAT WAS THAT?!? I heard a moaning noise!!! I am NOT going in there!". In the end curiosity gets the better of you and you decide to explore. And you either find a clue or item to help you progress, or you find a monster that wants to use your face skin as a napkin after enjoying a nice, tasty dinner of your intestines, in which case you want to hide somewhere and hope that the monster passes by without noticing you. In some cases you'll find both a monster and an item. Another use of the word "scary" is used as in such phrases "this game has a different all together play style of any other game I've ever played...it's...it's scary". Amnesia isn't your average first person shooter, as in it takes out the word "shooter" as there are absolutely NO weapons at your disposal (which in turn, makes the game a LOT scarier), and replaces it with "fright fest". It also adds an item that I really enjoy, puzzles! There are a plethora of puzzles scattered throughout Amnesia. They range from collecting bits of a machine and putting them together, to pressing buttons or pulling levers in a certain order. These puzzles create a nice island that is your piss and excrement from the insane scariness everywhere else in the game. Finally, scary can be used such as in the phrase "this game is scary good!". Which this game most certainly is. You can't find a scarier monster film, book, game, or story that tops the Fright-skyscraper that is Amnesia: The Dark Descent! This game is perfect for a group of friends looking for some fun entertainment, or a single person that's just looking for a good time. For $20, and hours upon hours of mind bending, scary fun, you can't go wrong! Expand
  71. Jun 15, 2011
    Very unique. Yes you can't attack enemies, I understand that, but that's the point. They are coming to kill you, and all you can do is run, escape, get away, that's why the game is so scary. Total 10 from me, game is fun, interesting, and scary as hell.
  72. Mar 6, 2013
    This game scares me like no other. You can't fight back, so your best bet is to avoid the monsters whenever possible, and run like hell when you can't. It's an eerie on-edge feeling punctuated with adrenaline-rush moments. The story is quite captivating; sometimes I wish the game weren't quite so good at scaring me so I could get through the story more quickly.
  73. Nov 2, 2013
    Best horror game I've ever played. The atmosphere, the suspense, the feeling of being absolutely helpless, the balancing between light and dark and the storytelling worked wonders for me.
  74. Oct 1, 2011
    One of the best game ever. I enjoy it sooo mutch. The atmosphere is strongest and gameplay si great. This game is an 'must have' for all lovers of horror.
  75. Dec 2, 2010
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent has a great merit, this is one of the most original horror games ever made in the last decade. I'm not talking about monster or level design only, but if you like horror, you could love this game because instead of killing your foes with pistols or other weapons, here you can only hide in the dark, because you are an ordinary man, not so brave and strong to faceAmnesia: The Dark Descent has a great merit, this is one of the most original horror games ever made in the last decade. I'm not talking about monster or level design only, but if you like horror, you could love this game because instead of killing your foes with pistols or other weapons, here you can only hide in the dark, because you are an ordinary man, not so brave and strong to face the nightmare which is looking for you.

The only way to survive is hide or run depending by the situation, and in some case this is extremely useful to the atmosphere of loneliness and on desire to get outside the castle given to you by the light crannies that force you to think outside is all quiet and clear from the enemy.

This is not the only feature that make this game a great title, let's talk about environment interaction, in this game opening doors or furniture is great, because you must use your mouse like your hand, so to open a drawer you have to press click on it, pulling and then release the mouse button. It works perfectly and it's very realistic.

I must remark I usually don't like horror games especially because you have to do weird things on level mechanics to go on, for example in Resident Evil, in a police station you must burn a painting to get a jewel, position it in a fountain (a fountain in a police station??) to open a secret compartment where is located a shotgun... WTF? Does the police-men work like this in Resident Evil universe? I hate senseless enigmas, and fortunately, this game is far away from this.

In facts, level design is absolutely logical and the things you need to do to go on are like repair a machine with some missing spare, to take it you have (logically) to looking for it in a spares depository. And because you have to do logical things this doesn't mean it's easy, moving inside the areas is not so secure.

Great part of the game-play is based on light and dark, your character can hide in the dark from dangerous creatures which can see you if you are moving or if you are near a lights source. But that's not all, seeing supernatural creatures, events and live high tension moments debilitate your mental sanity and stability, because you have a body health indicator and a mental health indicator too. Obiously, the first obiously can go down if you are shoot by a creature or if you do something can hurt yourself.

I don't want to talk about the story to avoid unveal something, but I can say it's great and particulary adapt to the game universe, rich in turnovers but without excess, rich of details but without loose the main story line, so very well orchestrated, in facts, sometimes if you expect something dangerous happens by activating a door nothing happens, and when you think to by safe is right when a creature come near you. I can beg to say there is some conjunction with Roman Polanski's "The Ninth Gate" mood.

A must for people looking for game-play and originality in a game.

Closing comments
    - Great atmosphere and game-play
    - Awesome sounds
    - An horror different from the horror mass
    - It doesn't require a super computer
    - The graphic flawlessly immerse you in Amnesia universe although it's not incredible
  76. Apr 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Move over Penumbra; Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the new king of scary now. Take everything you've seen in scary movies and games, like mutated monsters, mysterious noises, and an unseen hunter stalking you at every turn; now imagine facing them all with absolutely no way to defend yourself. That's right. You have NOTHING but your "legs" and your wits to survive.

Very well done, fictional games. You'll be getting my therapy bill soon.
  77. Jun 26, 2011
    I actually crapped myself while playing this alone, in the dark, in the middle of the night, with my headphones on, after smoking marijuana. Advise to anyone intending to play this game under these circumstances: do NOT smoke any marijuana.
  78. Sep 22, 2012
    This game isn't for everyone. Amnesia is an artfully mastered, ambient experience for anyone craving a taste of quality; like a fine wine upon the mountain of cheap beer being produced by the triple-A production line. Take a break from Call of Duty and enjoy Amnesia: The Dark Descent; witness a lost form of creative craftsmanship which only Frictional Games is still bold enough, willing,This game isn't for everyone. Amnesia is an artfully mastered, ambient experience for anyone craving a taste of quality; like a fine wine upon the mountain of cheap beer being produced by the triple-A production line. Take a break from Call of Duty and enjoy Amnesia: The Dark Descent; witness a lost form of creative craftsmanship which only Frictional Games is still bold enough, willing, and able deliver. Expand
  79. mez
    Dec 18, 2011
    Very scary. The most tense and unpleasant (in a good way!) atmosphere of any game I've ever played. It's not perfect - the story tries to be mysterious but instead feels muddled (and the ending is massively disappointing), the puzzles are quite arbitrary and "computer-gamey" (I need some rope. Why do I need a particular special piece of rope which is miles away? Why not one of the bits IVery scary. The most tense and unpleasant (in a good way!) atmosphere of any game I've ever played. It's not perfect - the story tries to be mysterious but instead feels muddled (and the ending is massively disappointing), the puzzles are quite arbitrary and "computer-gamey" (I need some rope. Why do I need a particular special piece of rope which is miles away? Why not one of the bits I can see hanging on the wall right in front of me?), and the scares really drop off towards the end because the writers make the mistake of being too explicit and going down the ultra-gore route rather than leaving it all to our imagination. BUT... the prison level makes up for it all. I played it in the middle of the night when I was on my own in a big, old house in the middle of nowhere, and it was one of the best gaming experiences of my life. If you like horror games, you must, must play this. Expand
  80. Jul 12, 2012
    Amazing game! Yeah some people may say, it's all about the sounds and the visual, but think about a horror movie, what makes it scary? The sounds and the visual effects, and this is what amnesia offers, a fantastic horror atmosphere! It is surely a great game, made by a thriller writer! In my opinion other games from diff. genres should take a note of this game's atmosphere! After all, inAmazing game! Yeah some people may say, it's all about the sounds and the visual, but think about a horror movie, what makes it scary? The sounds and the visual effects, and this is what amnesia offers, a fantastic horror atmosphere! It is surely a great game, made by a thriller writer! In my opinion other games from diff. genres should take a note of this game's atmosphere! After all, in my opinion, one of the most important things for a game is to have a great atmosphere and story. To suck you in the virtual world and to engender emotions! To enjoy it, put HEADPHONES and play it ALONE with all lights OFF =] Expand
  81. Mar 16, 2013
    This is a great, terrifying game. To make sure you get the full effect, play it in a dark room and don't watch anyone playing it on youtube until you have. Try to do it all on your own. If you're unsure about a puzzle, try to think of the simplest way to solve it and avoid backtracking, usually the solution is very close to the problem. If you get lost, (which can happen, especially in theThis is a great, terrifying game. To make sure you get the full effect, play it in a dark room and don't watch anyone playing it on youtube until you have. Try to do it all on your own. If you're unsure about a puzzle, try to think of the simplest way to solve it and avoid backtracking, usually the solution is very close to the problem. If you get lost, (which can happen, especially in the prison) try drawing a basic map. There are maps online, but they mark where things happen and contain spoilers, which take away from the effect. If you want to quit at the beginning because you don't think it's scary, keep playing; there will be times later on when you will be running for your life, and other times when you refuse to move because there's a monster a few feet away and it hasn't noticed you yet but who knows when it will... Basically, if you want to enjoy it, just take it seriously. Get into it, and see if you can play through the whole game without dying. And one last note, don't quit because you're too scared at certain parts. Man up and keep playing. Expand
  82. Apr 7, 2012
    This game is extremly intense and very gratifyting if you liked Frictinals earlier games (the Penumra series).
    I just love this game so far.
    I just love this game so far.

The usage of tension, sounds, disorientation effects which kicks in (like "Eternal Darkness", Gamecube) when the sanity is going through the roof and the feeling of, almost constantly, fleeing from horrific enemies your charachter is too scared to look at, which sets an excellent feeling of being helplessly vulnerable.

Trust me, it's worth every penny.
  83. Dec 6, 2010
    This is seriously a good choice if you're looking for a horror game on PC. The story is so well written that i think it deserved a chance to be made into a movie. also the atmosphere are good, it sends chill even to the toughest guy you can imagine. good buy i must say. i fully enjoyed playing this game
  84. Dec 9, 2010
    Unique experience that offers more than meets the eye. BUY this game! There is a demo if your interested, but if you like survival horror, this game has it in spades. It's unlike any survival horror game you have ever played.
  85. Feb 4, 2011
    Amnesia has to be one of the best horror and adventure games I've ever played. After enjoying the Penumbra series I was slightly worried about how good Amnesia would be after playing the demo, but luckily the fault was the demo not doing the game justice.

Amnesia relies on you scaring yourself for the most part, true the game contains horrific enemies but what makes the game so frightening is you don't encounter them all that often, they appear now and again but you never know if there's one just around the corner. So the player scares themselves psychologically rather than the game relying on jump scares.
    My only criticism with Amnesia is towards the end of the game there are just too many dingy tunnels, earlier in the game you get to explore the Furnished castle and mansion areas that added a lot more variety to the tunnel crawl. Overall however Amnesia is a thrilling Horror game that any adventure or Horror fan would be stupid to miss.
  86. Jan 23, 2012
    With over 200.000 units sold up to date, Amnesia: The Dark Descent is one of the indie top sellers of 2010.

This game made me feel terrified like no other, especially for the atmosphere and the fear to the unknown that i had to stop playing it for a while, just like Penumbra. The feeling that you are totally helpless an unarmed, make this for an intense survival experience. If you love

If you love survival horror games + psychological terror like Penumbra, well this game is for you, my friend.
    If there is something i'm sure, Frictional Games knows how to scare the s*** out of us.
    Get this game, it's well worth every cent!!!
  87. Jul 4, 2011
    The best horror game you can find to a computer, The End.
  88. Nov 26, 2011
    There are many reasons why this game COULD suck. The controls aren't always practical, some parts of the game just feel like empty space, etc etc. But ALL complaints manage to be overruled by a single thing: the Atmosphere. If there's one thing this game has done that NO Horror Movie, NO Horror Video Game, and NO horror Book has ever done, is to ACTUALLY SCARE ME. The use of environmentsThere are many reasons why this game COULD suck. The controls aren't always practical, some parts of the game just feel like empty space, etc etc. But ALL complaints manage to be overruled by a single thing: the Atmosphere. If there's one thing this game has done that NO Horror Movie, NO Horror Video Game, and NO horror Book has ever done, is to ACTUALLY SCARE ME. The use of environments and music in this game make you feel like you're back to being a 5 year old in a dark basement. Some environments keep changing minimally whenever you reenter them, but just enough to throw your brain off and make you think ''oh **** something's odd''.
    Monsters in this game are sparse. But that's actually a good thing, because this way I've been in many situations where I just snuck around like a boss for an hour, never getting caught, thought to myself ''oh hey there's probably no monster here'' and getting overconfident and run around just to find a monster around the next corner that just completely throws you off.
    But beware: This game is only interesting due to the Tension it creates inside you. If you play it during the day you won't be scared at all, and you'll just find the game boring. Playing it over Skype or with friends works fine, as long as your room is dark.
  89. Feb 7, 2013
    The only game out there that will literally make u shiver in fear. Close the door, turn off the lights, get your headphones, and prepare to pee your pants.
  90. Apr 29, 2013
    Le jeux est magnifique! ses sure qu'il y avais quelque bug dans les mure mais pour un jeux fait par un petit groupe! il est ultra bon! moi je vous dit jouer avec sa vaux la pane! si tu aime les jeux d'horreur ses un peux jeux a jouer pour le commencement!
  91. Dec 16, 2013
    Definitelly this is the scariest game i've played. I dont give a 10 because the end is not according whit the game and the part of the agrippa is not scary. For the rest i can say is the best game of the last times. You must play it.
  92. BMF
    Mar 26, 2011
    A very very scary game that relies psychological terror rather then jumpy moments to scare the player also not having weapons to fight back adds to the "If that thing sees me im dead" moments.
  93. Jan 19, 2011
    Horror, adventure, a lot of horror, puzzle solving a a ton of horror more! that's what it is.
    I would say that if you liked any of Penumbra Games, you will love this one too. It takes the best of the previous games and makes something truly remarkable for the price point. It's definitely worth trying.

an advice: play with headphones at night
  94. Apr 26, 2011
    'Amnesia: The Dark Descent' will more than likely haunt me for the rest of my days. And I mean that in a good way. And a bad one. But a good bad one. Oh stuff it, let me explain. Being lost in a big, crumbling, spooky castle is one thing, but being in one full of inter-dimensional shamblers that you can't really see and have absolutely no way to defend yourself from plus a library-full of'Amnesia: The Dark Descent' will more than likely haunt me for the rest of my days. And I mean that in a good way. And a bad one. But a good bad one. Oh stuff it, let me explain. Being lost in a big, crumbling, spooky castle is one thing, but being in one full of inter-dimensional shamblers that you can't really see and have absolutely no way to defend yourself from plus a library-full of Lovecraftian-inspired back-story? Pretty much screwed there mate. The sense of dread and fear that overpowers you as you edge down a darkened, winding corridor,the last of your lamplight oil burning away is tangible. It sits there in the room with you and grows until you're left scrabbling in the dark looking for tinderboxes, which you know when you light them are going to reveal a something thundering towards you. And then it goes 'a-bloogy-woogy-woo'. And you shriek and hide. The game makes use of a sanity meter that drops when you see spooky stuff/beasties or sit in the darkness too long, and some people have chosen to mock the fact that the main character has the mental resilience of a 5-year-old. However I feel that this simple, infantile fear of the dark, being as prevalent in the game play as it is, has actually made ME fear the dark more as a consequence. And if a horror game can bring back our fears from childhood (with the added threat of cosmic monstrosities), then I do declare that game done good. Expand
  95. Mar 27, 2011
    Have you ever pissed your pants while playing a gameâ
  96. Sep 30, 2011
    There are times in this game where you will be very scared, but never a time when you will want to stop playing. Amnesia is the scariest game ever made, but also one of the best. The water stage will haunt your memories.
  97. Sep 27, 2011
    First off I'd like to address the naysayers. A game is not all about showing off the latest graphics technology (Crysis), or pumping out yet another addition to an already successful money-making franchise (CoD). It's also about engrossing you in the story and, more importantly, the atmosphere. If you weren't pulled into the atmosphere, then I guess this isn't your kind of game or you wereFirst off I'd like to address the naysayers. A game is not all about showing off the latest graphics technology (Crysis), or pumping out yet another addition to an already successful money-making franchise (CoD). It's also about engrossing you in the story and, more importantly, the atmosphere. If you weren't pulled into the atmosphere, then I guess this isn't your kind of game or you were only playing to win (something the game actually tells you NOT to do), and I suggest you find another game you like and just stick with that.... Now onto the review....... Have you ever been scared? Had a nightmare where you are taking a test you haven't studied for, or spending the day in your underwear? Played Dead Space or Doom 3 and jumped when the scary guy hopped out of the vent screaming at you while being illuminated by your flashlight? Those are some scary scenarios aren't they? But have you ever been alone, in a series of near pitch black stone corridors, hearing voices and screams resonate faintly through the halls, with nothing but a half-empty weak oil lamp to keep you company, knowing that something is indeed "out there" ready to brutally murder you within seconds of noticing you, and realized that the only way to escape this nightmare is to continue the dark hallway that you now fear so much?... Take a minute to absorb that one... That is Amnesia: The Dark Descent for you. Very few mainstream video game titles have ever built such an engrossing atmosphere before, save for Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, and a few others. From beginning to end you are but one mortal man, in a large almost derelict castle, with no memory, an order to kill a man, a warning that a "shadow" is hunting you, and no possible means to defend yourself... Proceed down the halls and through the darkness, steel yourself, and pray that the creature you just briefly glimpsed out of the corner of your eye hasn't seen you... No game has ever been this terrifying before (at least for anyone who has engaged in the atmosphere of any other game completely). The feeling of tension, as you slowly inch around a corner that may or may not be hiding a monster, is truly palpable. Even more so is the feeling of sheer bloody terror as you find yourself fleeing as fast as your mortal legs can take you while fear and panic wash over your nerves, make you sweat, and jerk your muscles involuntarily. You find a supposedly safe spot in the darkness, but your fear of the darkness and the unknown slowly takes its toll on your sanity. The voices become more frequent, the scratching becomes louder, you can't see straight anymore, your vision is blurred, and your movements are sluggish, almost as though your body and/or mind are fighting your attempts to proceed onward. The creature is still there, but where? And when will he strike?... Presentation: As stated before in the review and in oh so many others like it, atmosphere is the focus of Amnesia. Nothing says terror like being alone, in tight, dark corridors, hearing voices, having no weapons at your disposal, and never knowing if that disfigured shape walking across the misty hallway is really there or a trick being played on your mind. Graphics: Again people, graphics don't make a game, though they do certainly help. Amnesia is nothing groundbreaking. It rehashes Frictional's HPL engine from their Penumbra series with some minor graphical improvements. But it's not about the realism of the graphics, but the supernatural darkness that it creates. Audio: The voice acting is adequate but the sounds are far better than most AAA titles. Nothing helps add to the already creepy atmosphere like hearing a flashback take place as though you, the player, are standing there yourself, listening to the articulations of footsteps on dirty stone and hollow wood with high quality sounds of papers being shuffled or doors being opened. Gameplay: The gameplay is pretty primitive. Walk, run, open/close door, take item from inventory and use on puzzle, etc. But as with the atmosphere the lack of combat and weaponry helps drive the feeling of terror that you are meant to feel. The game gives you such simple gameplay elements so that you aren't distracted with "where is the reload key?" You will be focused with staying alive above all else. Replayablity: There is apparently more than just one ending, and you can't save the same game in multiple files. Meaning you can't witness one ending and then just reload to that defining moment where your choice affects the outcome. You will have to play again to get the other endings... All in all, Amnesia is a very well made game, considering the main design team is comprised of only two people. Its atmosphere is almost unmatched. If you manage to let yourself get sucked in, you will start to physically feel terror as you run, breathing heavily, from that dark monster in the hallway, and suddenly feel your whole body get tingly. That is real fear. Expand
  98. May 16, 2011
    Finally a horror game that understands the importance of immersion and atmosphere - or to put it another way, that suspense is much more important (and harder to pull off) than surprise. Too many "horror" games I've seen rely entirely on surprise and boring fights (if you can kill the enemies, then they're not nearly as scary - so in Amnesia, you can't fight back!).
  99. Nov 23, 2010
    Holy EFF! This game is terrific. Keeping you on the edge of your seat waiting for what is next and yet at the back of your seat scared of what might jump out at you. This game is full of plus but I'll start with the minus. There are time when the effects seem almost past over by the creators and its looks a little cheesy (things just fade away in a type of fuzz). There are time when youHoly EFF! This game is terrific. Keeping you on the edge of your seat waiting for what is next and yet at the back of your seat scared of what might jump out at you. This game is full of plus but I'll start with the minus. There are time when the effects seem almost past over by the creators and its looks a little cheesy (things just fade away in a type of fuzz). There are time when you can even expect to be have somthing happen whether it be somthing walking up on you or your vision shaking when red puss oozes out of the walls. The pluses is this game a numerous so I'll name a few of my favorites. This game will scare the hell out of you, games like F.E.A.R and the mainstream type horror games have nothing on this, be ready to get tested on your own sanity. I would give graphics in this game a 7/10, there not the top of the line but there not to shabby either. This is without a doubt my favorite horror game of all time to date. I can't wait for what Frictional games has up there sleeve for the next game. Expand
  100. Dec 11, 2010
    One of the best horror games to date, very chilling and intense at some moments, I bet you wouldn't last the entire game without jumping off your chair, just once!
    Fantastic, developers deserve the money!
  101. Mar 27, 2011
    Have you ever pissed your pants while playing a gameâ

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the scariest game in years. You'll get an extremely creepy vibe from the castle and all of the mysterious things that are happening there. The voice overs and the ending of the game aren't great, but this shouldn't bother anyone seeing how you'll be extremely scared when you play this on your own in a dark room.
  2. Jan 31, 2011
    Amnesia offers an experience so rich that we're willing to forgive its weak ending, imperfections of the engine, and low-bugdet production values.
  3. Jan 29, 2011
    At times it's a struggle to play purely because of how scary it can be, and it's not often you can say that about a video game. Just remember: lights off, headphones on, and try not to go insane.