• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Feb 17, 2011
8.6

1. Sep 4, 2013
    VERY OVERRATED GAME. I'll get the good out of the way, it looks nice enough, good sound design, and downright great physics which it takes advantage of in puzzles (some that are good, others that are not). The story was boring and not exactly told to you in best of ways. Your character is silent because pffft hiring a voice actor would cost money, you can't fight the monsters only run because fending for yourself is overrated real gamers/people run from their problems. Some enemies can't actually be seen because they felt like being lazy and then the big scary monster looks downright awful and not frightening in the slightest. I laughed my ass of the first time I got a look at him. Finally, it's not scary. Yeah I realize some might disagree and yeah what scares one person may not scare another but I really didn't find this game scary. It really reminds me of Slender Man, another overrated "horror" game: both are only frightening to people who either scare easily or haven't seen many horror movies or played many horror videogames. As someone who has played and seen many horror movies and videogames, Amnesia was nothing spectacular in my opinion. Expand
  2. Jan 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A truly terrifying game that is only rivaled by the other series made by this company, Penumbra. Unlike most horror games, this one focuses less on "monsters jumping from the closet" scares and is chock full of psychological and moral horror. Even without the literal monsters, the plot is full of human monsters; torture, human sacrifices, black magic and sorcery make the game reek of evil. The immersive sound design and well-implemented screen & graphical effects feed the fear of being cornered by other worldly monsters and human abominations. Without any weapons to fight back, this is a genuine "survival horror" game that you should pick up and lose sleep over. Expand
  3. Jul 29, 2013
    An interesting game for a while, but i dropped it after a few hours (at the invisible boss). It does give the feeling of fear sure. Unfortunately it's low-budget nature shows pretty soon. There is just locks and keys. You proceed from one lock to another. I know, this is the standard of the genre, it's just that today's games use more varied locks something that a low-budget game just couldn't afford.
    The invisible boss requires you to jump too accurately and run too fast. After a few times dying I didn't see why I should frustrate myself further. But it was fun at start, so 7/10.
  4. Nov 17, 2012
    I was about to purchase this game based on reputation @Metacritic alone and boy, am I glad they offer a demo on Steam. I didn't even finish the demo because it is hardly scary. Granted, the audio may be superb but this feature is completely diminished by the fact that the graphics and level design appear to be based on something that was contrived in the very early 2000s. One could compare its quality to be part way between Thief II and Thief: Deadly Shadows. This is an absolute deal-breaker for me and I wonder, how this can be received with such a high degree of professional appraisal (Metascore of 85).

Sure, there are games that look like crap an are extremely popular, such as Minecraft. But, in very stark contrast to Amnesia, the Minecraft experience does not thrive on ambience and immersion.

Considering the fact, that the vast majority of human cognitive perception is based on visual stimuli, I am having a very hard time understanding why anyone with a trained I could give this horror-flick a 100% on a professional review without constant fear of having you credibility on the line...YES, I am looking at you Gamecritics & Gamernode! wtf?
  5. Jun 14, 2013
    This game sets the bar for all horror games for decades to come. This game dwarfs Dead Space, Resident Evil, and Silent Hill. Besides the alluring environment, the creepy atmosphere of the game will keep you on your toes. I had heard of how scary this game was so when I first began playing it I was overly expectant of something to pop out at me. Finally, after not seeing anything scary for a level or two I let my guard down, and boy, did I pay the price. This game has its jump scares but it has no need to rely on that; this game is a psychological horror. The moment you're expecting to turn a corner and find a monster lurking there, naturally, it won't be there. The monsters aren't the most terrifying things in the world once you've seen them up close for awhile, but they still managed to get my heart racing and elicit a sense of urgency when they appear from the shadows.

The story in this game is another riveting aspect of it. Daniel's journey through Brennenburg is one of self-discovery. Notes written by Daniel in a pre-psychotic time provide a wonderful backstory as to Daniel's motives for his vendetta and the lore of Brennenburg's history.

Amnesia is a game to be immersed in; not won. None of the 4 possible endings to the game offers a definitive sense of victory, only one of appeasement; accomplishing your goal. Some ignorant people may denounce this game because of a lack of action, story, etc. but that's part of the experience. Sure, games like Dead Space and Resident Evil are more action driven, but I think that takes away from the horror of the game. Moreover, The past few entires in those series haven't been as scary and more shooters than survival horror games. Amnesia as no weapon, your main method of defense is running and hiding from monsters.

All in all, Amnesia is one of the best games to have arrived in recent years. It sets the precedent for what all survival horror games should strive to hope to achieve. That's not to say I want to play a carbon-copy of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but basic innovations on the concepts introduced in Amnesia could create an enthralling masterpiece that goes down in video game history as the scariest game ever. as it stands now, Amnesia has clearly owned that title.
  6. Sep 19, 2013
    One of the best horror games made in this year. It's tension keeps you occupied and keeps the terror high up for the rest of the game. What? Too scared too play?
  7. Jun 26, 2013
    Dark and gritty survival horror game. With well thought out level design this game creates an awesome chilling atmosphere that really makes the player feel like their in the horror or the game.
    Never have I played a game like this, Well worth the asking price.
  8. Feb 2, 2013
    Story original. Graphisms correct. The ambiance is intense and frightening as said. You walk in the darkness and have to care about your health and mental. A good product. Don't hesitate on that title
  9. Feb 28, 2013
    The Singleplayer is not very appealing to me. With custom stories a maybe very scary and funny adventure.
  10. Mar 16, 2013
    This is a great, terrifying game. To make sure you get the full effect, play it in a dark room and don't watch anyone playing it on youtube until you have. Try to do it all on your own. If you're unsure about a puzzle, try to think of the simplest way to solve it and avoid backtracking, usually the solution is very close to the problem. If you get lost, (which can happen, especially in the prison) try drawing a basic map. There are maps online, but they mark where things happen and contain spoilers, which take away from the effect. If you want to quit at the beginning because you don't think it's scary, keep playing; there will be times later on when you will be running for your life, and other times when you refuse to move because there's a monster a few feet away and it hasn't noticed you yet but who knows when it will... Basically, if you want to enjoy it, just take it seriously. Get into it, and see if you can play through the whole game without dying. And one last note, don't quit because you're too scared at certain parts. Man up and keep playing. Expand
  11. May 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the scariest games i ever played. It dosnt have a combat system so your only chance for survival is to run and hide which makes the game a lot more scary. You never feel safe. It got a scary atmospher and it works. It also has a good story line. Some scary dark places and scary monsters there will give you nightmares. Short said everything is scary. And then there is something special that made me keep playing for a long time. You can go to websides like: MODDB and download costum maps made by other players. And there is a LOT! You can also take your time and make your own costum map. It is a great and scary game. I would wish that there was more different monsters because you get tired of the same monsters every time. But the good thing is that you can make your own monsters if you make your own custom map and there is some people that did that very well. The graphics could have been better but i won't take the game down for that because it don't need it. It is nearly perfect as it is. Trust me on this one. This game will play with your sanity and it will scare you. Expand
  12. Jul 23, 2013
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a very unique and enjoyable gaming experience. Right up until the last hour or two of playtime, that is. Before then it's creepy and atmospheric: you'll find yourself nervously looking around corners, jumping at sudden noises, and yelling as invisible demons chase you through tunnels, smashing doors that you throw closed behind you. There are a smattering of old school adventure game elements to contend with, but the puzzles are all easy and don't detract from the experience. This changes towards the end. The puzzles start to take center stage and there are long stretches of wandering around, scanning the floor for items to pick up, pulling levers, and randomly trying to combine inventory elements. Granted, it never gets as unintuitive as Sierra or LucasArts games did, but it is a letdown given how intense the game was up until that point.

And the ending is so, so lame.

Amnesia: TDD is well worth experiencing for the first half alone, but overall it doesn't live up to its potential. I'm looking forward to seeing if the upcoming Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is able to correct these flaws and deliver a more cohesive experience.
  13. Jul 17, 2013
    Not as scary as I anticipated, but the music and sound really adds a lot to Amnesia. Brilliant storyline and quite fun gameplay, Amnesia will keep you entertained for hours on end no doubt!
  14. Nov 13, 2013
    You get as much out of this game as you put in, allowing yourself to become fully immersed to experience the best play through you can experience. How every the voice acting of the main character, Daniel held this game back for me. Completely average and out of place, every time I picked up a note from Daniels diary i felt like i was being taken too far out of the game.
    However the
    atmosphere outweighed this and makes it only a minor complaint. Expand
  15. Oct 4, 2013
    Amnesia is a amazing horror game that has creative monsters and atmosphere. story puts you in the shoes of Daniel who must stop an old man from covering the world in darkness unable to fight off the monsters you must hide from them. you are scared even before you get a glimpse and when the music starts playing your heart pounds in the game and out play with the lights off for the best experience and remember to keep your door closed you cant sleep after playing this amazing game. a cool thing you can do f your creative is create a custom story with a editor and share with the world. do you think you have what it takes you can purches this game on steam or the website. I give this game a amazing 10/10 Expand
  16. Sep 4, 2013
    I cant play this game alone. Really i cant. I am 29 years old and i have to play with someone or with the lights on. I have to keep pausing it or throw my headphones off. After playing this game i can safely say that no film can scare me as this has raised the bar.
  17. Sep 16, 2013
    This is far and away the most terrifying piece of media I've ever encountered. No movie, book, TV show, or other game can match the terror of Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Every detail from music, voice acting, plot elements, and puzzle solving has been meticulously crafted to scare the player to death. For its artistic merits alone I've recommended it to literally everybody I know!

This is one of the best games I've played in years! If you haven't at least tried it, you're missing out!
  18. Nov 5, 2013
    I would rate it higher but it's too scary to get through. I'm liking it so far except for the fact that there is no direct, you have to wander until you somehow solve a puzzle.
  19. Nov 17, 2013
    This is the most amazing horror game ever The story line is very interesting and you cant stand of computer because you are very interested what will happen next! Monsters are well designed and very scary! And at last thing that i liked the most in Amnesia... Custom Stories!!! You can play on a map which is made by another person So this is the best scary game ever!
  20. Apr 7, 2012
    This game is extremly intense and very gratifyting if you liked Frictinals earlier games (the Penumra series).
    I just love this game so far.

The usage of tension, sounds, disorientation effects which kicks in (like "Eternal Darkness", Gamecube) when the sanity is going through the roof and the feeling of, almost constantly, fleeing from horrific enemies your charachter is too scared to
    look at, which sets an excellent feeling of being helplessly vulnerable.

Trust me, it's worth every penny.
  21. BMF
    Mar 26, 2011
    A very very scary game that relies psychological terror rather then jumpy moments to scare the player also not having weapons to fight back adds to the "If that thing sees me im dead" moments.
  22. Mar 23, 2011
    The lack of weapons makes this game incredibly scary when having to deal with enemies, because all you can do is run or hide. Easily one of the sceariest games I've played, and the puzzles are cool, but I think there's too much of it.
  23. Jan 19, 2011
    Horror, adventure, a lot of horror, puzzle solving a a ton of horror more! that's what it is.
    I would say that if you liked any of Penumbra Games, you will love this one too. It takes the best of the previous games and makes something truly remarkable for the price point. It's definitely worth trying.

an advice: play with headphones at night
  24. Apr 26, 2011
    'Amnesia: The Dark Descent' will more than likely haunt me for the rest of my days. And I mean that in a good way. And a bad one. But a good bad one. Oh stuff it, let me explain. Being lost in a big, crumbling, spooky castle is one thing, but being in one full of inter-dimensional shamblers that you can't really see and have absolutely no way to defend yourself from plus a library-full of Lovecraftian-inspired back-story? Pretty much screwed there mate. The sense of dread and fear that overpowers you as you edge down a darkened, winding corridor,the last of your lamplight oil burning away is tangible. It sits there in the room with you and grows until you're left scrabbling in the dark looking for tinderboxes, which you know when you light them are going to reveal a something thundering towards you. And then it goes 'a-bloogy-woogy-woo'. And you shriek and hide. The game makes use of a sanity meter that drops when you see spooky stuff/beasties or sit in the darkness too long, and some people have chosen to mock the fact that the main character has the mental resilience of a 5-year-old. However I feel that this simple, infantile fear of the dark, being as prevalent in the game play as it is, has actually made ME fear the dark more as a consequence. And if a horror game can bring back our fears from childhood (with the added threat of cosmic monstrosities), then I do declare that game done good. Expand
  25. Mar 27, 2011
    Have you ever pissed your pants while playing a gameâ
  26. Sep 30, 2011
    There are times in this game where you will be very scared, but never a time when you will want to stop playing. Amnesia is the scariest game ever made, but also one of the best. The water stage will haunt your memories.
  27. Sep 27, 2011
    First off I'd like to address the naysayers. A game is not all about showing off the latest graphics technology (Crysis), or pumping out yet another addition to an already successful money-making franchise (CoD). It's also about engrossing you in the story and, more importantly, the atmosphere. If you weren't pulled into the atmosphere, then I guess this isn't your kind of game or you were only playing to win (something the game actually tells you NOT to do), and I suggest you find another game you like and just stick with that.... Now onto the review....... Have you ever been scared? Had a nightmare where you are taking a test you haven't studied for, or spending the day in your underwear? Played Dead Space or Doom 3 and jumped when the scary guy hopped out of the vent screaming at you while being illuminated by your flashlight? Those are some scary scenarios aren't they? But have you ever been alone, in a series of near pitch black stone corridors, hearing voices and screams resonate faintly through the halls, with nothing but a half-empty weak oil lamp to keep you company, knowing that something is indeed "out there" ready to brutally murder you within seconds of noticing you, and realized that the only way to escape this nightmare is to continue the dark hallway that you now fear so much?... Take a minute to absorb that one... That is Amnesia: The Dark Descent for you. Very few mainstream video game titles have ever built such an engrossing atmosphere before, save for Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, and a few others. From beginning to end you are but one mortal man, in a large almost derelict castle, with no memory, an order to kill a man, a warning that a "shadow" is hunting you, and no possible means to defend yourself... Proceed down the halls and through the darkness, steel yourself, and pray that the creature you just briefly glimpsed out of the corner of your eye hasn't seen you... No game has ever been this terrifying before (at least for anyone who has engaged in the atmosphere of any other game completely). The feeling of tension, as you slowly inch around a corner that may or may not be hiding a monster, is truly palpable. Even more so is the feeling of sheer bloody terror as you find yourself fleeing as fast as your mortal legs can take you while fear and panic wash over your nerves, make you sweat, and jerk your muscles involuntarily. You find a supposedly safe spot in the darkness, but your fear of the darkness and the unknown slowly takes its toll on your sanity. The voices become more frequent, the scratching becomes louder, you can't see straight anymore, your vision is blurred, and your movements are sluggish, almost as though your body and/or mind are fighting your attempts to proceed onward. The creature is still there, but where? And when will he strike?... Presentation: As stated before in the review and in oh so many others like it, atmosphere is the focus of Amnesia. Nothing says terror like being alone, in tight, dark corridors, hearing voices, having no weapons at your disposal, and never knowing if that disfigured shape walking across the misty hallway is really there or a trick being played on your mind. Graphics: Again people, graphics don't make a game, though they do certainly help. Amnesia is nothing groundbreaking. It rehashes Frictional's HPL engine from their Penumbra series with some minor graphical improvements. But it's not about the realism of the graphics, but the supernatural darkness that it creates. Audio: The voice acting is adequate but the sounds are far better than most AAA titles. Nothing helps add to the already creepy atmosphere like hearing a flashback take place as though you, the player, are standing there yourself, listening to the articulations of footsteps on dirty stone and hollow wood with high quality sounds of papers being shuffled or doors being opened. Gameplay: The gameplay is pretty primitive. Walk, run, open/close door, take item from inventory and use on puzzle, etc. But as with the atmosphere the lack of combat and weaponry helps drive the feeling of terror that you are meant to feel. The game gives you such simple gameplay elements so that you aren't distracted with "where is the reload key?" You will be focused with staying alive above all else. Replayablity: There is apparently more than just one ending, and you can't save the same game in multiple files. Meaning you can't witness one ending and then just reload to that defining moment where your choice affects the outcome. You will have to play again to get the other endings... All in all, Amnesia is a very well made game, considering the main design team is comprised of only two people. Its atmosphere is almost unmatched. If you manage to let yourself get sucked in, you will start to physically feel terror as you run, breathing heavily, from that dark monster in the hallway, and suddenly feel your whole body get tingly. That is real fear. Expand
  28. May 16, 2011
    Finally a horror game that understands the importance of immersion and atmosphere - or to put it another way, that suspense is much more important (and harder to pull off) than surprise. Too many "horror" games I've seen rely entirely on surprise and boring fights (if you can kill the enemies, then they're not nearly as scary - so in Amnesia, you can't fight back!).
  29. Nov 23, 2010
    Holy EFF! This game is terrific. Keeping you on the edge of your seat waiting for what is next and yet at the back of your seat scared of what might jump out at you. This game is full of plus but I'll start with the minus. There are time when the effects seem almost past over by the creators and its looks a little cheesy (things just fade away in a type of fuzz). There are time when you can even expect to be have somthing happen whether it be somthing walking up on you or your vision shaking when red puss oozes out of the walls. The pluses is this game a numerous so I'll name a few of my favorites. This game will scare the hell out of you, games like F.E.A.R and the mainstream type horror games have nothing on this, be ready to get tested on your own sanity. I would give graphics in this game a 7/10, there not the top of the line but there not to shabby either. This is without a doubt my favorite horror game of all time to date. I can't wait for what Frictional games has up there sleeve for the next game. Expand
  30. Dec 11, 2010
    One of the best horror games to date, very chilling and intense at some moments, I bet you wouldn't last the entire game without jumping off your chair, just once!
    Fantastic, developers deserve the money!
  31. Jan 16, 2012
    8.6 + Incredible atmosphere made alive by first rate sound design + Logical, interesting puzzles + Castle Brennenburg is an interesting place to explore + Genuine feeling of loneliness, terror and helplessness - Some AI inconsistencies can make the monsters become annoyances more than threats - Compatibility problems in Windows 7 with some sound cards - Unimpressive ending - Overabundance of lighting resources removes some of the challenge Expand
  32. Apr 26, 2011
    this is definitely one of my favorite games from the beginning of 2011. Its a freaky game, so play it with your lights off and alone. It has pretty fun puzzle gameplay. its easy but that actually works to its advantage because it allows the story to progress with good pacing. the easiness is also good for novice adventure gamers. Thats all you really have to know, scary stuff happens and you will probably cry while enjoying/fearing a game thats like no other game. Expand
  33. Dec 6, 2010
    This is seriously a good choice if you're looking for a horror game on PC. The story is so well written that i think it deserved a chance to be made into a movie. also the atmosphere are good, it sends chill even to the toughest guy you can imagine. good buy i must say. i fully enjoyed playing this game
  34. Dec 9, 2010
    Unique experience that offers more than meets the eye. BUY this game! There is a demo if your interested, but if you like survival horror, this game has it in spades. It's unlike any survival horror game you have ever played.
  35. Jan 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is definitely a good horror game. Instead of putting you up against big monsters while carrying armament that would make Rambo bow in respect, the only defense you have is your legs and the shadow. I loved that. The atmosphere is great, the graphics are decent, the story is ok, though a bit cliche. I'm not completely satisfied though. Considering most reviews and stories about the game I was expecting to be scared beyond belief. I've even played it midnight with all the lights turned off to add to the atmosphere, but even while there were definitely a few gasp and chilling moments and even a loud "oh f*ck" twice, most of the scaring stuff gets a bit predictable and many great scare possibilities/moments were unused, too often I was playing too long before I finally met true danger again, so the scares/sounds lost their effect as I think too many of them ended up being empty. Still, all in all a great game that I'll probably play again, the atmosphere and projected feeling alone makes it worth it, they handled that perfect. Expand
  36. Dec 31, 2010
    9.5 if i could give it. the scenery and atmosphere are close to perfect. the graphics are definitely not up to par with other recent releases, but the games ability to scare you to death nevertheless is impressive. the fear feels different from other games in the sense that it's not a shock factor, where things pop out of nowhere in an annoying heart-attack fashion, but more along the lines of intense paranoia- a fantastic scare. puzzles can sometimes feel arbitrary, and the level design could be a little more imaginative- my gripes take nothing away from the terrifying experience, so do yourself a favor and play it. Expand
  37. Sep 25, 2011
    Warning: Minor Spoilers Ahead

Amnesia is a perfect submersion into a world of terror. It successfully does what few others "horror" games have: It uses all atmospheric properties to intimidate the player. One: It uses effective lighting and visual cues. Lighting can be an issue, as if it's all too dark, the eyes can be strained, but if it's too easy to always view one's surroundings, the
    player will become complacent and feel that they are not being challenged. The scarcely distributed tinderboxes create small illuminations, but never close all darkness, so corners are left unseen, and doorways unknown. The use of sanity (and how it changes when one looses more of it), is very effective, as the protagonist of the game "sees" movement out of intimate objects. Two: Sound. Perhaps the most important aspect of a horror game. Sounds are constantly littering your ears. Even in better-lit areas, one can hear doors opening, the screaming of tortured souls, the steps of someone walking above you, as if following you. All of these aspects, and music that suits all moments (e.g., an increase in atonality when being followed, or hearing sounds that don't exist when your lantern is out), work to engage the player in feeling that the moment is real, and that at any time, they are still being watched, followed, and chased by someone or something.

Three: Enveloping storyline. Don't mind me if I make some allusions to another alleged "horror" title, but the protagonist spouting off commentary at random intervals, as well as ineffective use of mystery can be a real bore. The plot for Amnesia gives you tiny bits and pieces, keeping the player interested in what happens next, as well as wondering what the hell is really going on. It essentially gives you enough to keep you going but not usually enough to figure things out, which is exactly what you want: Fear of what will happen but curiosity not satiated, which urges the player to continue. Overall, if Alan Wake scared you, you can't handle Amnesia. But I assure you it's a title that knows how to elicit fear, so if you want a true thrill on an expertly crafted horror game, go for it.
  38. Jun 26, 2011
    It's not just me, my 3 year old daughter really likes it too! She wants to play it often. It's actually her favorite PC game. She gets so scared when she hears and sees a monster coming, but she likes it! So far nearly everything about Amnesia is great! The story is quite good and certain parts in the game (interactions / pictures on wall / graphics / sounds) are really gory & sick! The environments and sounds are well made and can get really creepy. The interaction is very cool... the ability to gradually swing open doors, slide drawers, lift levers/lids, and rotate cranks/valves by moving your mouse in a relative way is fun feature! I like the interactive puzzles a lot and it fits this game well. IMO Graphics are good, but could have been a little better. Overall, Amnesia is a really creepy and immersive game, yet it's fun in a peculiar way. If you enjoy slower-paced first person horror games with fun puzzles, do NOT pass up Amnesia! A thing about this Amnesia - you won't forget it! Expand
  39. Jan 7, 2011
    Horror games are plentiful on the PC but Amnesia: Dark Descent is the first horror game that's left my pulsed racing, and at times made me feel reluctant to continue for all the right reasons. The pacing is dead on, with breaks in the atmosphere enabling you to gather yourself before you plunge (unwillingly in more than one instance!) into the next area of dark foreboding. This is a genre defining game and any horror enthusiast should buy it, don some decent headphones, turn out the lights and enjoy the scares! Expand
  40. Mar 18, 2011
    Amnesia starts where the protagonist drinks amnesia mixture that makes him forget. He only leaves one letter to explain that he must kill person called Alexander, there's a shadow following him and that he wants to forget. During the game you find pages of the protagonists diary and find out exactly why he wanted to forget and what are his reasons for wanting to murder Alexander.
    There
    are many games where you see something horrible coming at you. In most of those games you lift your gun and get rid of the abomination. In Amnesia you have no weapons. Your only chance is to block the way of the monster and hide. If you can't hide, you are dead.

Amnesia is a great game until the endings that I thought weren't that well thought out. The game is also rather heavy as the game draws every part of the level even you cannot see them through the walls. Voice acting is an improvement to the Penumbra series by the same developers. However there are parts where the protagonist is having dialogue and only the person he is talking to is heard.

Overall Amnesia is great game for what it is worth.
  41. Aug 23, 2011
    well is there anything more scary than the unknown? well if you have played this game you understand that the very thought of knowing almost nothing in a castle of monsters and traps is very chilling to the marrow of your bones... as you start out very minute sounds and shuffles give you a fright... but this game isn't just amazinf audio effects and seemingly useless doors opening by themselves. this game has scarey things that chase you they may show themselves when your looking through notes to find out why you are in a castle or trying to solve a puzzle. this is a great puzzle game not to mention with some tricky parts and some easy parts... i would like to say that the sound track is amazing, the very music makes you scared and that isn't the half of it. i had been in the morgue drilling a hole in some dead mans head to get and antidote to go down to the sewers which contain poisonous fungi. after this a monster breaks down the door i hide in a room of shallow waterand dead body piles... the monster sounds semm to be eating something i wait a minute it is still making noises... or is it gone and the sound is just a glitch or a leftover effect from the monster i peep out the door... no monster is near the broken down door. to look to my right i have to open the door completely so i do BAM! a monster is about 2 feet in front of me i run back in the room too petrified to close the door behind me i try to hide but its not use he chases me in circles through the shallow water and out the entrace through the broken down door. it attacks me once leaving me injured i limp to the exit and open the door. to my relief a loading screen i am safe. in no good consience can i give a game a ten so nine will do this game will thrill horror junkies and puzzle freaks alike great game! Expand
  42. Feb 4, 2011
    Amnesia has to be one of the best horror and adventure games I've ever played. After enjoying the Penumbra series I was slightly worried about how good Amnesia would be after playing the demo, but luckily the fault was the demo not doing the game justice.

Amnesia relies on you scaring yourself for the most part, true the game contains horrific enemies but what makes the game so
    frightening is you don't encounter them all that often, they appear now and again but you never know if there's one just around the corner. So the player scares themselves psychologically rather than the game relying on jump scares.
    My only criticism with Amnesia is towards the end of the game there are just too many dingy tunnels, earlier in the game you get to explore the Furnished castle and mansion areas that added a lot more variety to the tunnel crawl. Overall however Amnesia is a thrilling Horror game that any adventure or Horror fan would be stupid to miss.
  43. Feb 2, 2011
    AWESOME JUST AWESOME. I loved this game. First game that actually scared me (well penumbra managed in that 2) not like DS2 whit its "boo horror" well ok DS2 isn't even horror game. PPL who wine abt no weapons or u cant grab objects like torches, thing is that it would make the game too easy. Who needs lantern when u could just light a candle and use that. And this is true survival horror game, no weapons and only limited amount of oil and tinderboxes. This is horror at the best keep it up Frictional. The graphics were ok but thats nothing so important when u dont need to see that much, but the sounds and atmosphere... scary as he**. The game play is good, not best but still good. And the cash was spended like x10 times less than most of the games similiar graphs. And besiedes 4 endings (3 normal 1 secret) that make the replay value even better. Monsters are scary, but a bit... how could i say this... stupid. If youre thinking of buying horror game GET THIS or 1 from the penumbra series. I recommend black plague. Expand
  44. Apr 13, 2011
    The atmosphere is so intense, this game will suck you in from beginning to end, not to mention give you nightmares. The graphics are quite nice, but can still run on any computer (almost), but graphics aside, this game is TRUE survival horror! Penumbra fans, must buy this game! Survival horror game fans HAVE to buy this game! You'll be glad you did : P
  45. Feb 2, 2011
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.

Turn off the lights in your house and play this game. It is the closest any modern game will ever get to a similar feeling. Unique in its ideas and excellence this game is put simply astonishing.
  46. Feb 3, 2011
    This is by far the best horror-survival game I have ever played!
    And after I played it for the first time, I thought the replay value isn't that high.... but after I played it a second time I realized, I was so wrong!
  47. Feb 6, 2011
    This game is absolutely phenomenal!From the start you are inserted in the depths of a chaotic castle that will paralyze you from fear from its shocking mysteries.It is beyond your imagination what awaits you.The sounds , the graphics all make what this game is , an absolute masterpiece.Kudos to Frictional Games.
  48. Mar 5, 2011
    This game is simply wonderful and beats an other horror game I've played out of the water. This game uses seclusion, sound, and atmosphere to scare the living crap out of you. You run around and solve puzzles that work your logical sense so you can progress through-out the dark, haunting, castle rooms and halls. If you enjoy playing games with your surround sound blasted to max and play at night with your lights off, this game is just for you. just be sure to have a few news-papers underneath you if you don't want to wet your chair. Expand
  49. Feb 28, 2011
    Don't know how to state this: This is a REAL horror game.
    You see; horror games are nowdays mostly seen as a game with bloody monsters and you need to shoot them. A real horror game is mostly imagination, and you should always be on edge.

Amnesia is the perfect horror game; no defence, and i had the feeling i was REALLY going insane.
    A must-have.
  50. Mar 8, 2011
    Great survival horror game that knows when to go "boo". It has great writing and voice acting to immerse you into the world where you are a puny little man facing big, scary monsters with nothing but a lantern.

Decent game. Worth the money.
  51. Mar 10, 2011
    This game made me visit the developers blog page for news on future updates

It scared the bejesus out of me, but thats exactly what I wanted

Some say that it has no replay value, but I played it twice and some parts still gets me even though I know whats going to happen

In terms of uniqueness, No other game is as atmospheric, immersive, and terrifying as this

Would recommend to everyone
  52. Mar 22, 2011
    That was the single most terrifying piece of entertainment I have ever laid hands upon. I do not usually get touched by horror movies and alike but in this game I quite simply had to walk away on numerous occasions. The evil lurking in the water and the deep cries from the abandoned prison cellars had me almost literally begging to god for mercy. Scary as it may be, I extremely recommend playing this in the dark, alone, the way it is meant to be played; petrified, stunned, yet at the same time panicking for the escape as the last drop of lamb-oil burns up and you are left in the dark with insects crawling all over your screen and only the bare wall to guide you further ahead. All in all a thrilling experience without any of the bugs you could expect from an indie production like this. One of the games I "enjoyed" the most and definitely worth the 14 dollar pricetag. Expand
  53. Mar 22, 2011
    I've been a fan of horror movies and books for a while, but never before had I played a horror game in my life until Amnesia. Starting it unsure, I decided to watch a live play before trying it out to prepare myself. Little did that matter, of course, because now I've played the game seven times and I still **** my pants at least once every ten minutes. Through the mazes of hallways and corridors you must dive between each little oasis of light to keep yourself sane. You don't even need to encounter the monsters to have a heart attack; just the gurgle or groan of a nearby creature sends me absolutely bonkers and I tend to squeak in fear. The amazing graphics, the use of physics, the sound effects, and the format all together make this game an terrifyingly real experience. I have only three notes of advice for you: find more oil, don't venture out into the open, and for God sakes, STAY OUT OF THE WATER. Expand
  54. Mar 25, 2011
    Good graphics, nice atmosphere. the riddles are okay and you have a lot horror situations.
    Its an independent game, so dont think you get big graphics or horror splatter elements, but the atmosphere is still cool. Try it!
  55. Mar 26, 2011
    A really great and scary game. The logical stuff we need to solve isn't too hard, which in my opinion is good since players won't be stuck in the game often, not knowing what to do. Although it happened for me once or twice. The atmosphere is fantastic, and knowing that we aren't able to fight monsters, knowing that the only way is to hide makes it even more amazing. The storyline is good too, with few possible endings. This game is must have for horror fans. The only flaw would be that it's too short, or maybe it only seems so beacause I enjoyed it greatly and would want more of it. The music and sounds are really fitting. I'm giving it a solid 8. It's a really great game but as I've mentioned, it seems short and doesn't have anything that would make me want to come back to it after beating it. I also am not able to say what this game is missing, but it just seems that few things could have been done better. But I would still recommend it to everyone, it's worth your money. Summary.

Pros:
    -Fantastic atmoshpere.
    -Game that makes your heart beat faster often.
    -We aren't able to fight monsters, we need to hide from them.
    -Nerve wrecking by how scary it can be, and I think it's a great plus for a survival horror game.

Cons:
    Too short.
  56. Apr 6, 2011
    People think Dead Space and Dead Space 2 being scary needs to play this game, seriously. After playing Amnesia, any other horror game that I've played recently is a walk through the park. Frictional Games tells you that the game itself is not meant to be played to win, and should be played in the dark with headphones / surround sound. Do it at least once. The atmosphere fits, the game does what its supposed to do, scare the **** out of you. Dead Space and Dead Space 2, supposedly scary games are disappointing in the fact that its all obvious, jump scares. There is no true comparison as this game out trumps them in the horror, which if you sell a game as horror, it better be. There's only one room that has that safe room feel and ambiance except for a creepy fixture that only a crazy person would like. The physic system is really really nice, and this is coming from a team of 5 people, note that, 5, versus a big company of over hundreds with tons more funding and still making a better game than them. The graphics are decent, but considering it being an indie game, its really good for their effort. This game play however doesn't suit most people as a lot of people like "wheres my freaking gun" or something. Fans of horror should really buy the game, its $20, or $10 if its on sale. Expand
  57. Feb 11, 2012
    After years of action-horror games, we finally get a proper survival horror game! This is the perfect horror game by me: no weapons, monsters to avoid, creepy scenery, constant darkness, horrific sound. Everything is perfectly set in order to scare the HELL outta you, and horror fans will enjoy....but what's wrong instead? To be honest, one of the fewest issues I had in this game were the mental state, mainly because you can't hide in the darkness for too long or you'll go crazy: in a game where you must hide, hiding is actually hurting you? Annoying, but I guess it's one way to scare you more, but still I found it bothersome. And of course, the light sources: you'll constantly have to carefully use your light sources, or you'll have a hard time in the game later: very bothersome. Maybe one issue is also when you die, the game loses a bit of its touch: yes it's scary, but suddenly you don't feel that much fear anymore: not a proper flaw, more like an annoying thing. Honestly that's mostly it: the biggest flaws could be for those who actually don't like this kind of horror games, meaning that this game is based on slow moments, on being carefull, on actually try to mentally focused and go on; those who just love to defend themselves somehow or who actualy can't stand slow paced games, this game is probably not for you. For the rest, this is how a REAL horror game should be made, and I CAN'T wait for another game like this. Expand
  58. Apr 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is by no means for the weak of heart. As a matter of fact, if you're looking for an exciting, fun game, go buy something else. I see this game as more of a challenge. That being said, it's still superb.
    I'll start with the cons. The graphics are a bit outdated. The physics system is a little confusing, although it isn't used extensively. Oh, and you're likely to wet yourself once or twice along the way. The gameplay isn't incredibly long - that is, once you remove the time you spend crouching in corners crying to yourself. And the pros? This game is, by far, the most terrifying game out there. It blows Dead Space 1/2 each out of the water. If you find yourself crouching in a corner behind a bed for minutes on end, you aren't alone. There are times where you can hardly tell whether you are in a chair in front of a computer or roaming the halls of the castle. Of course, the game doesn't survive solely on thrill. There are some puzzles in it - some of which are annoying, some of which are challenging - and perhaps the most noticeable feature (besides the fetal position inducing terror) is the aspect of preserving resources. Throughout the game, you must stay in light to stay sane. The problem is, your light sources are limited to a lantern with an oil supply, natural light that is hard to find, and tinderboxes which are rare. So you may find yourself sprinting in between previously lit torches and windows. Furthermore, you cannot fight your enemies - you can only run and hide. This changes the modern view of video games, which is mostly centered around the "fight to survive" idea. The storyline isn't anything incredibly intense, but it does hold it's own against other games'. The music is superb - in fact, I would attribute a good chunk of the fear factor of this game completely to the music and sound effects. One final note - you have to let yourself be afraid to truly experience Amnesia's effect. There actually aren't a large amount of enemy encounters in the game (though they are certainly the most terrifying parts). It isn't the quantity of encounters, but that you never know when one may occur. Play it in a dark room, alone, with headphones on. Allow yourself to become the character, and don't let yourself know that it's all pixels. In the end: It's a great challenge and most definitely worth 20 bucks, though it is often on sale for less. However, it's not fun and addicting as we tend to view a "good game" to be, and the weak of heart should beware.
  59. Apr 9, 2011
    From a purely "Video games are art" -perspective this is probably the best thing I've ever seen. I'm not much into horror games since there's usually very little horror in them, however this is truly one of the best gaming experiences that I've ever had. The immersion is like nothing I've encountered before; if played properly late at night with no lights and headphones it will draw you in and you may never fully recover.

This is a game for anyone how wants to try something new in gaming. It stands out as a shining beacon of creativity in a swamp of bland generic games. In this game the only way to defend your self is to run and hide, and it works better then I ever thought possible. Instead of focusing on fun game-play it focuses on just being an experience, which may sound kind of boring but I assure you that this game is anything but boring. And the experience weaves beautifully together with itself; you'll be in a mix of mildly non-threatening environments simply exploring, feeling a little bit uncanny that somethings a bit off, hiding from monsters that you're not quite sure where they are and heart pounding hectic chases. This game knows that the best way to keep you at the edge of your seat is to vary the experience. It's not a consistent climb leading up to a climax, it tries to keep everything being unpredictable, it fails at some points to be honest but never the less it succeeds very well at strongly evoking whatever emotion it's going for, which isn't always fear. And that's what I think makes the developers such great artists.

Naturally the game isn't flawless, nothing is. The AI of the monsters is probably the thing that stands out the most, however considering that this was made by an indie developing studio consisting of five guys I'm willing to let that one slide, especially since that particular flaw feels overshadowed by everything about it that exceeded my expectations about it by a mile, such as sound, ambiance, voice acting, varying level aesthetics and even they're in-house physics engine (not that I tried to break it). However, one thing that kept rubbing me the wrong way was some of the puzzles. Prior to going in to this game I thought that there was two kinds of puzzles, the easy ones that almost feels patronizing at times, and hard ones that can be frustrating to figure out but generally leaves you with a real since of accomplishment and intelligence when you do figure out how to solve it. In this game however some of the puzzles took a really long time to figure out and when I finely did figure it out I mainly felt "That's it?!". It's almost reminiscent to the old point and clicks where the designer exercises his own sense of logic that makes since to no one but himself. It's not that bad here, the puzzles certainly do have logic in them, but they often feel round about and not the most obvious solution.
  60. Apr 26, 2011
    Amnesia is not a game you play to win; it is a game to win to stay alive. The tutorial screen says this is the attitude with which you should approach this game. Itâ
  61. Apr 25, 2011
    Puts me so on edge I still haven't managed to finish it. I guess that counts as success?
  62. Jan 23, 2012
    With over 200.000 units sold up to date, Amnesia: The Dark Descent is one of the indie top sellers of 2010. This game made me feel terrified like no other, especially for the atmosphere and the fear to the unknown that i had to stop playing it for a while, just like Penumbra. The feeling that you are totally helpless an unarmed, make this for an intense survival experience. If you love survival horror games + psychological terror like Penumbra, well this game is for you, my friend.
    If there is something i'm sure, Frictional Games knows how to scare the s*** out of us.
    Get this game, it's well worth every cent!!!
  63. Apr 24, 2011
    Amnesia The Dark Descent is a frightening rollercoaster ride from the beginning to the end with a plotline what shocks you just as much as the games horrifying looking enemies. Without a doubt, Amnesia: The Dark Descent is one of the scariest games ever made.
  64. Apr 23, 2011
    Amnesia is a great game. If you are looking for something that is different than what your used to, you should defiantly check this out, especially for $20 (sometimes $10 on steam). It is terrifying as well, I still haven't even beaten it.
  65. Apr 24, 2011
    Edgar Allan Poe....THE GAME. I haven't been this creeped out since I first heard Poe's stories recited around a campfire as a kid. Amnesia definitely gives you a feeling of tension and helplessness the whole time you are playing it, and you are constantly checking your back. The macabre atmosphere is done perfectly, and the game setting is a breath of fresh air.

I remember one of the
    levels running for my life and held my breath the whole way before escaping to safety.

Can't wait for this shop's next game, and what a pleasant surprise it was to discover this sleeper. Highly recommended for anyone that likes to be scared, and I would put the single player experience on the same level as Half Life 2 or Dead Space 2, it was that good.
  66. Apr 24, 2011
    The gaming world houses a lot of "horror" games that involve monsters but don't really manage to inspire an emotional response of fear... This game knows how to keep you scared. Creepiest freaking horror game I have ever played. You will not find a creepier game out there, and that is why I give it a 10. Not the best game ever, but it certainly is the top of it's genre.
  67. Apr 26, 2011
    I must say I'm extremely relieved that the mainstream horror genre is not filled with crap such like Dead Space, not saying the game is bad but rather it should fall under a thriller genre rather than horror, because after all..all it does is startle you like when someone says "BOO". I was a huge fan of the Penumbra series and I must applaud again to Frictional Games because they just topped their entire series, the great atmosphere, awesome music and scare you just at the right moment, it's obvious the developers actually played it before releasing, the only part I didn't like about it is it's setting, I loved the abandoned mine setting but again, that's just personal preference.

The same 3 rules of playing penumbra can be applied here

Wear headphones - Ok and done
    Make sure you're in a comfortable position - Kinky. done.
    Turn off the lights and close the curtains - F*** NO!!!

No more need be said
  68. Jan 10, 2012
    Amazing game. Since original Silent Hill I was scared very match. Great atmosphere, great logical puzzles, great story. But atmosphere disappears near the end, this is sad.
  69. May 7, 2011
    Dark and scary. If you're looking for a game that will creep you out, this is your best shot. The complete lack of weapons to defend yourself with in this game keeps things scary. You'll quickly find yourself immersed in the shaking boots of your character.
  70. May 16, 2011
    One of best game i played. Really horror. All is really good in this game. In my opinion this game must be played, better if u play it at night alone. Sound is very important, and very well developed. If you can enter in Daniel's mind, you will have an incredible adventure. vote:9
  71. Nov 8, 2011
    Frictional Games has done it again! This game looks AMAZING and light, one of the most integral parts of the game, is very realistic and behaves very naturally. Are you looking for a game that doesn't rely on jump scares, but atmospheric unease? Then look no further, this is the game for you. I will admit there are some jump scares in this game, however the pacing justifies them. The setting is genuinely creepy, and it leaves you feeling alone, isolated, and vulnerable. The enemy encounters create a real sense of dread and urgency when you realize you can't fight back. Some of my fondest memories of this game are fleeing from an enemy shouting profanity as I panic. If you're tired of action games that pretend to be horror games, games that rely too heavily on jump scares, or love a creepy atmosphere that builds real tension and horror, this is the game for you. Expand
  72. Oct 4, 2011
    While I can't play the game due to being completely frightened, I LOVE what the devs did here.
    The atmosphere is really thick and dark, easily one of the top horror atmospheres ever created by a game. The player feels just as helpless as the character himself and shares the same confusion. This game involves you on a totally different level than other horrorgames tried before.
    There are no
    weapons or opponents you could attack with them - you are alone with your wits and quick feet.
    Run for your life, don't waste your light and progress through the Lovecraft-inspired story.

If you want a REAL survival horror game, go for Amnesia: The Dark Descent!
  73. May 21, 2011
    The game is quite well done but the graphics are quite outdated and the way you interact is very easily made.The atmosphere is amazing but it can get quite repetitive for the sake of length.
  74. Jul 11, 2011
    It's spot-on scary. Really gets you into the game. If you don't have an imagination, they you will probably hate this game.
  75. May 4, 2013
    An amazing game that truly shows what a true survival horror is all about, and it offers something that no previous survival has offered to date, an utterly useless protagonist. Even in the best examples of the genre, the tension gets watered down by an unusually strong protagonist with nerves of steel and armed to the teeth.......... it's hard to get scared when you're controlling the equivalent to bruce willis, even in silent hill where you're suposed to control an average joe, he suddenly gets the ability to wield any concievable firearm out of the blue. Amnesia finally does things right, he puts you in the shoes of a normal, frightened, vulnerable and harmless man, caught in supernatural circumstances that he can't fully understand. He shivers, pants, and tries to give comfort to himself every now and then, while crouching helpless in a corner....... just what any of us would do in such case scenario.

The only complain I have for the game is the enemy variety, both brutes and grunts move and act the same, it would've been interesting to see additional enemies with diferent reactions to how you move and interact with the enviroment; a perfect example of this is the invisible thing at the beggining of the game. In any case this is a one of a kind experience, a true return of survival horrors and something that shouldn't be missed.
  76. Aug 29, 2011
    So scary I refused to play it without someone on skype with me. It gave me nightmares too. Sure, the graphics aren't perfect, but the atmosphere makes you completely ignore all that and just fous on staying alive. The way the screen distorts and half zooms in towards zombies, accompanied by suitably terrifying sound effects is particularly effective. It's incredible that an indie studio can pull this off. Expand
  77. May 30, 2011
    I cannot say I've played this game, but I will say it is definitely worth the buy. I've been watching some gameplay videos, and without a doubt it looks like a good game to play. This quite obviously isn't one of those standard horror genre games where your character can destroy everything in their way, who's only horror element is the graphics, music, and a few jump scares. No, this is one of those games you want to play at around midnight without any lights on. What this game does that I haven't seen all too often in a horror game is atmosphere. You find yourself entering the world of Daniel and all the horrors he has to face, and that is quite honestly what makes this game all the more worth playing.

If you're thinking of buying this game, don't look up videos for it, it ruins the atmosphere and fun I was talking about. All the jump scares will be ruined, spoiler's will be abound, and it will ruin your experience of the game. If you think it looks good, buy it. I, like many others can tell you, will remind you it is worth the money. Pay no mind to the Dead Space player down there, there is little reason to hate this game (unless you expected a SURVIVAL horror game, in which case I would probably recommend Dead Space 2)
  78. Jun 1, 2011
    For the first few hours of game-play, I had never experienced more fear of what would come than in any other game I'd played. After tweaking the settings just right and only playing in a dark room with headphones on (a necessity for this game), I nervously inched through the game and held my breath around every corner. Amnesia successfully draws the player right into the terror, and the fear of the unknown drives the game-play perfectly. The intermittent puzzles are just difficult enough to enjoy without hating any tediousness, which had me impressed throughout.

A couple small complaints surface after playing for a while, though. There's always a sadness considering that the graphics could have been better. The voice acting is undeniably boring and the story is a little unimaginative, though that aspect is easy to forgive with the enveloping atmosphere. The thing that took away a LOT from my enjoyment of the game, is eventually I learned an easy way to avoid any trouble with many of the ghosts (spirits/undead/baddies, whatever), and the horror that had my heart pounding and my adrenaline pumping fizzled out. And all that was left was the initial shock of sudden noises, and nothing more. Though there's always the ghost that manages to surprise you when you think you have it all figured out.

I even recorded my reactions, and had fun watching how scared I was at times (though I didn't post it online like I'd planned...I looked stupid getting so scared from a video-game). So in closing, the pro's heavily outweigh the cons in Amnesia, and I'm glad I spent the money to experience this game...it was well worth it.
  79. Jun 2, 2013
    Amnesia: the Dark Descent is an enjoyable game. While it doesn't offer anything new to the horror genre it doesn't take anything away either. What it does do is offer an excellent gaming experience though a rather short, and easy one. Clocking in my finish of the main game (as there are two side stories) in just over 9 hours Amnesia is short, and the difficulty of the puzzles is beginner. There was only one moment I stuck on for more than a few minutes and I was never lost and never wondering what I should do next. And while this game doesn't add anything new...puzzles, story, etc has pretty much all been done before, and in some cases better...what is does it does very well. The game looks great graphically, it's old castle setting is perfect. Atmosphere and level design is spot on in most places, and the games pacing works and flows naturally. Gameplay is also smooth and I didn't encounter any bugs and the interface is simple, clean, and effective. But what about scares? There's enough to go around but the game isn't filled to the brim with jump scares or lots of creature encounters. Amnesia uses the "less is more" concept almost perfectly though some things could have used just a little bit more. Creature design is excellent, truly nightmare spawning creatures born of evil. This is where I think the game could have used a bit more. Being a game of non-combat, you don't fight anything here, once you learn the "trick" of surviving creatures lose much of their threatening presence save for a couple of instance or where you make a mental mistake because otherwise the creatures become nothing more than a visual presence in the game. There are notable exceptions, but they they could have had a few more in my opinion. What Amnesia does best though is starting you off in a dark foreboding fashion and building on that foreboding as you progress in the game. Each area is generally darker and creepier than the last, and in some cases more beautiful. All in all this game presents a very solid entry level adventure/horror game. Experienced gamers won't find any challenge but everyone will find a grand old castle filled with mystery, scares, horrific creatures, and a boat load of fun. Expand
  80. Aug 2, 2011
    Amnesia: Dark Descent has done well, therefore, to incorporate the effects of insanity and a limited gaze rather than mimic the compounded violence which has continued to rise in dominance of the horror genre. Taking it's cues from underrated masterpieces, the inability to actually look at that which stalks you and to require you constantly fight to remain sane in the darkest depths of its recesses means that the player quite simply has more sympathy with the protagonist than they would otherwise. Of course, utilizing a first-person view is certainly critical in this endeavor, as the body of the protagonist is more easily acquainted with one's own. If anything, where Amnesia occasionally fails is due not to revealing too little but occasionally revealing too much, especially towards the end. Though there is a long tradition of the "reveal" in horror and suspense, I'm now left wondering if Frictional Games might have done better never to have shown it's hand. From the gaze comes knowledge and from such comes a sense of control. If there's one thing Amnesia did better than most games in recent memory, it's ensuring that the player feels powerless for most of the journey, which such gazes subvert. Yet, Amnesia is so good for so long that to hold such criticism against it for long feels far too trite. Rather, we should celebrate the maturity that Frictional Games has returned to the horror video game genre for it's reinstatement of the concept that's been as important to it as violence, and for nearly as long. Thanks to Amnesia: Dark Descent, once again we fear the unknown. Expand
  81. May 20, 2012
    Possibly the best horror game I've ever played. The horror in this game is done in the best ways possible. The "sanity" feature in the game was something I loved, and it made the game even more scary and interesting. Mikko Tarmia did an excellent job with the music. The story is not the best, but it's still well thought out, and the same can be said about the 1800's setting and atmosphere. The only negative thing I have to say about this game is that the controls can feel awkward and slippery at times. Still, any horror game fan that would pass up a game like this would make the biggest mistake of their lives. Expand
  82. Jul 14, 2011
    trollpower isn't right at ALL. First 2 hours are to get the hang of the game, The rest is scary! This game is one of the most scary games in the world! IT GETS YOU MENTALLY!!! TRY THIS GAME! And it is... really... I cannot explain it!!! :) Most of reviewers didn't point out that if you haven't got enough of it there's the expansion and there's the chance to create your own stories, just check some tutorials!! Horror doesn't mean blood, gore 'n guns. Means that you really experience fear. In that case Amnesia is a perfect game for you. Otherwise to reviewers that gave this game 4 or less, Doesn't know what the word: "Horror" or "Fear" is in a videogame. I'm giving it a 9. because graphic isn't the best thing, Don't get me bad, 9 is a very high vote! of course it contains a whole new physic with the magic HPL 2 graphic engine. But textures aren't in max details and the game's graphics can be improved, though we will see that on HPL 3!! GO ON FRICTIONAL GAMES!!! THIS GAME IS "SCARY" IN THE PURE SENSE OF WORD!!! Expand
  83. Jul 4, 2011
    The best horror game you can find to a computer, The End.
  84. Jul 12, 2011
    Play this game at night, alone, and with no lights on and will sink its teeth into you and it won't let go. The developers succeeded in creating one of the best, most convincing atmospheres I've seen in a game. The attention to detail in the environments makes Brennenberg gives it a realistic feel, and it has a kind of eerie beauty in some parts. Lighting is used particularly well, lighted areas and dark areas contrast sharply, you never want to turn out you lantern or leave the light, but sometimes it's necessary to proceed or avoid monsters. It's that fear of the unknown that drives Amnesia. Sound is a very important part of Amnesia, and the developers nailed it. From the creaking of doors, to the shattering of glass, to the mind-raping screams the monsters make when they see you, it all feels real. The fact that you can't fight back against the monsters raises the tense factor through the roof. If you encounter a monster you only have two options: run, or go hide in a corner until it finds you or it leaves. Problem is, there isn't a very large variety on the monsters, and by the end of the game they aren't very scary anymore, because chances are you've figured them out. They're also in the same spot every time you play the game, so replay value isn't very high here, as they become predictable. The story is told through flashbacks, visions, and notes left throughout the castle. The story is good and you'll find yourself questioning the protagonist's actions, and wonder if he's really justified in what he's doing. The voice acting is mostly good, though a few of the voices (Daniel especially) sound a bit over-the-top. There are plenty puzzles too, although they aren't very difficult, (most involving "going here, finding x, going over there, using x). To be honest, I was hard pressed to find any serious criticisms against Amnesia. As someone who usually doesn't play survival horror games and hates horror movies, I can wholeheartedly recommend Amnesia. If you have any interest in horror at all, you owe it to yourself to try Amnesia. Expand
  85. Jul 22, 2011
    Love it. Absolutely love it! It was intense and engrossing and atmospheric - I played the first half of the game ruining my pants, and then the second half firmly clenched like I was just asked to pick up a bar of soap in the prison communal shower. Which is actually a criticism - i.e. I had to buy new pants and I could have crushed a house brick with how tightly I was clenched. The other thing was the fact that the game seemed to follow a cycle of solve a puzzle then get devoured by a monstrosity of the house and repeat - but hey, it's scary and suspenseful and immersive and all the things I like about horror games - you stay scared and immersed and clenched throughout and the omission of weapons adds to that fact you're a defenseless person because horror games lose their appeal with the accompanying of heavy ordnance (DEAD SPACE!) So all-in-all, good game and worth is for £13, especially as your supporting your independents who aren't just money grabbing whores like Activision and really want to produce good games, which definitely shows with their product of Amnesia - you should definitely hand over your disposable income with this game! Expand
  86. Oct 20, 2011
    I had trouble playing this game for more than 30mins at a time, it makes me nervous, come out in a sweat and then think about it all night long. I kept going back for more. The game does what some of the best horror movies do, it plays on your imagination and uses what isn't there to scare you. The atmosphere, sounds and puzzels are all a treat and so was being thrown through a door by a monster whilst i haphazardly ran away from it.....i'm close to giving this a 10...10 would mean its perfect, its not perfect its just very very very very good and a fantastic price now. Expand
  87. Jul 19, 2011
    This game is from my experiences the best survival horror game developed in years. This game typically plays into people's fears. The fear of being alone in the dark. The fear of being helpless. That moment when you think you hear voices but they're all in your head. This game brings those fears forth into a realistic, blood-thickening, adrenaline surging game. For $15 dollars, it's ten times... no, one hundred times worth it. Expand
  88. Jul 31, 2011
    Normally i don't get or hardly get frightened by horror games but this one... does. Its the perfect horror game that will scare the hell out of you. i recommend to not play it in the dark, its scary enough.
  89. Aug 2, 2011
    What can I say about this game. It is extremely good at what it does. And that is scaring the **** out of you. This is classic Horror 101 and it really is in full glory in Amnesia. The atmosphere is genuinely creepy and I felt myself on edge even when nothing was happening, the mood, atmosphere and music made hairs stand on the back of my neck even when I was just walking around. But there are 2 reasons why I will not give it a full 10. First one is the ending and that is all I will say for fear of spoilers. The second is that the monsters started to become predictable. Once I got a quest item I knew something really scary would happen and I would have to hide. It still terrified me but it was a tad predictable. It would have been better if the monsters had no boundaries. All in all it was a thrilling experience and of the best i've had Expand
  90. Aug 4, 2011
    Short Review: This game scared the &%^$ out of me, awesome story, good controls, audio is amazing, and really puts you into the experience. Hope this helps.
  91. Aug 5, 2011
    I still haven't completely finished this game, I'm to scared for my virtual life! This game if you let it will suck you in and consume you, I recently played another game that has some of the same mechanics such as the heavy breathing and loss of control over your character but it never even comes close to Amnesia, the game hardly gives you a break, no cut scenes or anything like that. The most is when you are reading a paper on a desk or something similar, beyond that, who knows what lies ahead. This game by far is the best horror game out there. Even the 'not so amazing graphics' work in this games favor. Expand
  92. Nov 9, 2011
    Absolutely, one of the best games I've played in 2011. I love games that do things differently and Amnesia is one of the most unique and engrossing experiences I've come across, especially in the horror genre. After a run through of this game, it's so horrific that I haven't been able to push myself to survive another round. Just seeing the icon on my desktop, I'm reminded of the intense moments I had playing this game. A MUST play! Expand
  93. Aug 8, 2011
    Amnesia is brilliantly scary, Frictional games stuck to what they know best, and what they know is how to scare the living hell out of you. Thoroughly enjoyed playing, the puzzles were varied and interesting, astounding atmosphere, never a moment when you are truly calm, there's always a constant threat that you will be attacked, and the game will remind you of that. Can't get much better in Horror games. Expand
  94. Aug 21, 2011
    Amnesia has great gameplay, is very realistic, and frankly, scared the crap outta me, but in this case, that's a good thing! You play Daniel, a guy who for some reason gave himself amnesia and wakes up lying on the floor in an abandoned castle. A very creepy abandoned castle... The game itself has the ability to hide in closets when monsters show up or cry in the dark corner waiting for it to go away which I thought was very, very fun! There weren't many encounters with creatures, monsters (whatever they are) throughout the game but just enough to keep me cautious at every corner. Overall, an awesome game, my only flaw would be the fact it has almost no replay ability unless you've had amnesia yourself and forgot the plot and where all the monsters show up. Expand
  95. Aug 30, 2011
    I LOVE scary things. Scary movies, scary books, scary encounters in real-life, and especially scary games. There's just something about being immersed in it and yet knowing it's not real that makes scary games the best of all scary media. That being said, this is the best scary game I've ever played. The sound is extremely well done (including the voice acting), the atmosphere is amazing, the monsters are truly terrifying (When you hear that high-pitched string sound get louder and louder as they're catching up to you, good luck not making whimpering sounds), and the puzzles are pretty panic-inducing. My only complaint is that there are a few puzzles that are quirky. One where you may have all you need, but you're pointing at the wrong place on this one wall to use the items. Kinda annoying. Also another one where based off what you've seen in the area so far, you might think you need to complete this certain section, so you're scrambling around trying to find the missing piece, only to find out 20 minutes later "Oh nope, you're done already. Just re-arrange this thing." I don't want to give spoilers away, but it honestly annoyed me. Being annoyed takes you out of the terror setting, so boo-urns to that. To sum up: I love scary things in all forms, and this is the scariest, tensest game I've ever played. On multiple occasions being chased by monsters, my whole body started tingling, and I was pushing the run-button so hard I'm surprised I didn't break it. FANTASTIC game. I've never been so scared for such a prolonged period in my life. Expand
  96. Sep 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is really messed up. When you encounter with the monster just open the light and run towards it. It will run away. So when you know that spot, it becomes a useless and worst horror game ever. Expand
  97. Dec 16, 2011
    This game is one of those classic games that will forever be remembered (and in this case feared). This game was very well designed and looks really nice on full graphics, which is actually recommended for this type of game, where it heavily relies on the atmosphere. In the game, you don't get any weapons at all. And in fact you can't kill anything, and that isn't the point of the game at all. What the designers where trying to get across was the feeling of helplessness, and that's exactly what the game does. Every single time you see a monster, or hear a growling in the darkness, you hide, and hope he doesn't find you, because if he does, you are dead. This game is very scary, and very hard. Although you may not die a lot, you will be puzzled at the events occurring as the plot slowly unfolds and you discover many areas and secrets that lay within the castle you've awoken in. In short, the story is amazing. Atmosphere is a huge part of the game, and it perfects it with the darkness. If you look at a monster too long, you start to lose sanity. The more you lose sanity, the more frequently monsters start showing up. The longer you stay in the darkness, the lower your sanity gets. And by doing this, the game encourages you to go toward light, and stay near the light, until the sanity aspect is forgotten, and it becomes a habit, and definitely enhances the game play. The only flaws in the game is that sometimes it's actually TOO dark, and it makes it impossible to see, even with a lantern. Overall though, this game is really, really fun, and is definitely worth the money put into it. If you wanna see what the game is like, I'm doing an LP of it right now @ http://www.youtube.com/TheMindSpaz : I'm not asking for a sub or anything like that, just trying to give an example of what it's like. Expand
  98. Oct 1, 2011
    This game scared me so much i nearly shít the bed.
  99. Oct 30, 2011
    This game made by five core developers and it is scary as all hell. I cannot play it for more than an hour or two or else I start to panic and use up precious resources. The gameplay is a mixture of adventure and resource management (light) with some very tense hiding or running for OH GOD WHAT WAS THAT?! Erm, running for dear life. 335 positive user reviews cannot be wrong. Get this if you love horror. One point off for silly voice acting at parts, but that is the only glaring flaw. Expand
  100. Oct 6, 2011
    Scariest game ever, yeah that's right more than Dead Space, FEAR, Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, all of that. I can still hear my heart pounding even when I'm safely locked away from the monsters for 2 or 3 minutes. For such a small indie game, fantastic graphics, story, and some of the greatest sounds for a while. These are all here to make it a fantastic game, and it worked, but these things also become it's flaws. Meaning that things become too familiar and you know exactly where the monsters will come from, even though you haven't played through that part. But still I have no reason to say it's a bad game. Expand
  101. Dec 15, 2011
    Each game has its own purpose. Some are to have an exciting and skilled FPS experience, some are micromanaging games where you build up an empire, and some games succeed at these goals to certain extents. Amnesia: The Dark Decent was made to redefine terror, and immerse yourself in such a dark and horrid nightmare and it does just that with utmost perfection. The horror and paranoia i felt while playing this game was just so intense, it FEELS like you are there and being in a moment of life/death in this game was such a terrifying thrill ride. Honestly, this is one of the very, very, very few games out there that truly deserves a 10/10 Collapse

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the scariest game in years. You'll get an extremely creepy vibe from the castle and all of the mysterious things that are happening there. The voice overs and the ending of the game aren't great, but this shouldn't bother anyone seeing how you'll be extremely scared when you play this on your own in a dark room.
  2. Jan 31, 2011
    Amnesia offers an experience so rich that we're willing to forgive its weak ending, imperfections of the engine, and low-bugdet production values.
  3. Jan 29, 2011
    At times it's a struggle to play purely because of how scary it can be, and it's not often you can say that about a video game. Just remember: lights off, headphones on, and try not to go insane.