Amnesia: The Dark Descent PC

• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Feb 17, 2011
8.6

1. Jun 25, 2016
    We're currently going through an age where the horror genre is dying out as they're getting repetitive, at least for horror games that occupy the Steam market and Steam Greenlight. However, when people thought that there was no hope, Amnesia: The Dark Descent decided to come on in and show everybody how a horror game should be done.

In Amnesia: The Dark Descent, the main thing that

In Amnesia: The Dark Descent, the main thing that makes it a truly great horror experience is the fact that it makes you defenceless as you have nothing to defend yourself against the horrors that may lie inside the castle. All you have is your trusty oil lantern, which keeps on running out of oil and forces you to find more. Your only way of truly escaping these monsters is to hide from them by using the darkness and the hiding places to your advantage. However, if you spend too long in the darkness, it can affect your sanity, so you can't spend too long in the darkness. This is a great way to experience true horror, making you feel defenceless against the monsters that litter the castle, that are rigorously trying to hunt you down. It's rare you feel this sort of way in horror games nowadays, which is why it's so refreshing to see it being taken into effect in this game. There are also some puzzles that are thrown at the player, none of these puzzles are difficult per say as long as you've been paying attention to the notes and hints that have been left around for you, however some of these puzzles feel a bit tedious and unnecessary to add in.

The story of Amnesia is that you play as Daniel who has woken in the castle with no recollection of anything at all, you as the player must tread through the castle, picking up notes, piecing back together Daniel's memory, avoiding the enemies around the castle and foiling a maniacal scheme that is set to be carried out. I always like the sort of games that throw this sort of plot at the player because it makes you feel immersed in the role as the main character knows as much as the player does and he learns along with the player. However besides the set up of it, the rest of the plot doesn't feel that special and, I'm not going to reveal spoilers here or anything, but by the time I reached the end of the game, I felt like I had more questions than answers and for the last 20 minutes, due to the story, I felt like I wasn't really playing the game I thought I was going to be playing when I first started it up, if you know what I mean.

This is an indie development company and I was amazed by the graphics when the game started. They went into lots of detail when designing the game. The lighting work that is done on the windows of the castle is great, the walls look really god and detailed, even the monster look quite good. The only complaint I have is that some of the creatures that scatter across the ground at times look like they were made of an ugly blob, but that's just nit-picking.

The sound in this game is brilliant. The noises that occupy the castle sound terrifyingly real, especially with headphones, it really helps you immerse yourself in the world that this game is creating.

I really enjoyed my time with Amnesia: The Dark Descent as it took risks that other horror games dare not take and did it with a terrific pay off

Pros
    + Terrifying
    + Good gameplay elements
    + Good graphics
    + Great sounds
    + Pretty good story

Cons
    - Tedious puzzles
    - Got a bit sci-fi near the end
  2. May 31, 2016
    A classic horror game that should be in every gamer's library. The game is not only scary but offers an amazing adventurous atmosphere for the player to put themselves in.

The storyline was extremely immersive and enjoyable to experience and the art and design are simply outstanding. If you like a long and spooky challenge for that friday night with friends, I'd highly recommend this game to you! You're in for a scare that will be remembered for a lifetime!
  3. sft
    Apr 24, 2016
    Into the light

Into the light

I’m not normally a fan of games that present you with deadly enemies and then give you no option to defend yourself, but ATDD uses this device cautiously and to good effect. Evading the enemies is fairly stressful (as it should be) but is never frustrating or annoying. ATDD is all about atmosphere, which it has by the bucketload, and story, which it has in some depth. Much of what has to be done in the game, by way of solving puzzles, will be familiar to anyone who has played adventure games before but here again ATDD gets the formula just right. This is the first survival horror game I’ve played that has no combat (I’ve played plenty that do) and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it performs in both the survival and the horror aspects. Graphically it’s pretty good but not outstanding. There are some nice touches of interactivity: you have to pull and push at doors and drawers in order to open and close them. And the sound design is also very atmospheric. It’s a fairly short game but it packs quite a lot into 10–15 hours of gameplay and is recommended if you like the horror genre.
  4. Feb 12, 2016
    i need my money back, it like dos game from 1994, the first doom was more scary than this game. sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks
  5. Feb 10, 2016
    Incredible horror game with great mechanics and physics (quite odd). The atmosphere of the dark castle really helps this game, especially late on as you die repeatedly, the monsters begin to become somewhat annoying rather than scary because you've seen their ugly faces over and over again. Plus, the narration is kinda cool, but the protagonist is quite dull at times.
  6. Jan 25, 2016
    I played this game few years ago. My sister never likes anything not interesting to her and she barely plays game, but she talked to me about this horror (which we both hate) game. I thought it must be something special so I gave it a try. This game has a unique take on survival horror. You don't have weapons and have to hide from monsters, but there is also a sanity metre so you have toI played this game few years ago. My sister never likes anything not interesting to her and she barely plays game, but she talked to me about this horror (which we both hate) game. I thought it must be something special so I gave it a try. This game has a unique take on survival horror. You don't have weapons and have to hide from monsters, but there is also a sanity metre so you have to avoid the dark, or you would hallucinate. Obviously atmosphere is the strongest part of the game, there is (almost) no jump scare in this game and monsters are actually uncommon except in a few levels, but the atmosphere keeps you scared all the time and drives you crazy. Music and story are also good, although these are not usually talked about in reviews. My complaints are mainly the awkward and sometimes frustrating controls and the length of the game. I also wanted the writer to elaborate more on the story. (What are Orbs and Shadow anyway?)
    However considering that this is an indie game made by 6 people, I strongly recommend this game.
  7. Dec 29, 2015
    Let's see:
    Horrible animations - check
    Boring as hell hide and seek gameplay - check
    Broken monsters AI - check
    Stupid storyline - check
    Nothing scary - check
    This is one of most overrated games of all time
  8. Nov 9, 2015
    Everything that needs be said about this game has already been said. It is a fantastically frightening experience for those that get immersed in horror games and even after countless imitators, it still stands out as the best example of its particular style. Cracks may begin to show in the mechanics if you play it like a regular game, and it requires a certain commitment of mind and focusEverything that needs be said about this game has already been said. It is a fantastically frightening experience for those that get immersed in horror games and even after countless imitators, it still stands out as the best example of its particular style. Cracks may begin to show in the mechanics if you play it like a regular game, and it requires a certain commitment of mind and focus to have the intended effect, but for those into this kind of thing, it will always be one of the scariest games ever made. Expand
  9. Sep 23, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's maybe the best horror game i played. And I might say i play a lot of survival horror game.

The only reason I dont give a 10 is that de par of agrippa is boring and the big fail in this game is the final. The game deserved a better final.

I hope they make the second part.
  10. Jun 28, 2015
    It fantastic! This how you do a survival horror game! The story is complex, the visual are great, the puzzle are interesting and the levels are well designed!
  11. May 21, 2015
  12. ave
    Apr 13, 2015
    Have you ever experienced real fear in games? I mean something that scares you to the bones? If not, please be my guest, dive into Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

As you wake up in a strange place, equipped with only a lamp, you wander into (seaminly) abandonned rooms and corridors, finding clues along the way of a dark experiment... I've played Amnesia: The Dark Descent twice, this first

I've played Amnesia: The Dark Descent twice, this first I went very far in the story - almost to the end - and retried a second time, decided to be more wary of my ressources. Unfortunately, the game was more difficult and I was blocked pretty early in the story. Too bad because I really wanted to solve that mystery completely.

Nevertheless, Amnesia: The Dark Descent in a very good game, and a brilliant exemple of how to build tension with level design solely. Play it if you love challenge because this game is unforgiving. Any mistake can cost you health, sanity, or simply your chances of reaching the end. And that's the essence of survival horror, isn't it ?
  13. Jan 17, 2015
    This is my favorite horror game. The atmosphere is just perfect, with good use of lighting and sound cues. The enemies are genuinely terrifying, and trying to find a hiding place before it finds you really gets the heart racing. The story is well thought out and delivered in a good mix of dialogue, flashbacks and notes. The game allows for user made custom stories, some of which areThis is my favorite horror game. The atmosphere is just perfect, with good use of lighting and sound cues. The enemies are genuinely terrifying, and trying to find a hiding place before it finds you really gets the heart racing. The story is well thought out and delivered in a good mix of dialogue, flashbacks and notes. The game allows for user made custom stories, some of which are brilliant and definitely worth checking out, such as The Attic, and Black Forest Castle.

The game has a few flaws, hence why I am not giving it a 10. The monster AI is very predictable, and you can learn after a few encounters that they are easy to deal with. After a few minutes of hiding they will "despawn" and be removed from the level. Furthermore a sound cue will play when the monster spawns, and will stop playing when it despawns. This detracts from the feeling of anticipation, as you know there is no monster after you as you traverse the level if the sound is not playing, making the atmospheric sounds seem much more benign. The other flaw is the surplus of resources. There is so much lantern fuel and tinderboxes in the world, you never feel the need to conserve resources, which defeats the purpose of having them in the game.
  14. Jan 17, 2015
    "Hey there, so I like to play games that scare me."
    Oh cool, well you've picked the right ga-
    "Like, pants-****ingly scary. I don't want to be able to sleep." Y-yeah, sure. Like I was saying, this game would be perfect for y- "And I also like the odd puzzle or two to complete in the story" Okay, well you're in luck, because this has that t- "While I'm simultaneously ****ing my
    "Hey there, so I like to play games that scare me."
    Oh cool, well you've picked the right ga-

"Like, pants-****ingly scary. I don't want to be able to sleep."
    Y-yeah, sure. Like I was saying, this game would be perfect for y-

"And I also like the odd puzzle or two to complete in the story"
    Okay, well you're in luck, because this has that t-

"While I'm simultaneously ****ing my pants"
    You have issues.

So yes, Amnesia: The Dark Descent is quite a scary game. The scariest, in fact, that I have come across. You play as Daniel in this Survival Horror game, who wakes up in a castle with no memory of how he got there (bing! title!).

Unlike horror games such as F.E.A.R, where you can defend yourself against monsters; here, you have no means of fighting back. It's a frightening game of hide-and-seek. And the fear trickles in. It doesn't reveal everything straight away, so the anticipation of running into a monster really eats away at you.

It's not just your health that you have to keep track of, but your sanity. If you remain in the dark too long, or look at something that doesn't make any rational sense, your sanity starts to deplete. This makes your screen blurry, and your controls less responsive, making for a harder experience. Thankfully, you've got a lantern and can find oil and tinderboxes along the way to keep you in the light.

The story is actually compelling, the Gothic art-style is perhaps outdated now, but fits the game perfectly. You may quit due to fear and frustration from the few puzzles you come across, but this is definitely worth pushing through to reach the end, where there are some rather confronting torture chambers.
  15. Jan 13, 2015
    A true modern horror classic. Those extremely tense moments and challenging puzzles take you back to a time when survival horror was key and patience was a must. Fantastic story and atmosphere make this a must for horror fans.
  16. Jan 9, 2015
    This game is brilliant, its scary, hard and you wont want to stop playing. I rate this nine because of the ending was kind of disappointing. There were 3 endings and 2 were ok but the other one was a bit meh. I recommend this game for Penumbra fans. The games atmosphere always make you worried or scared and the chases are terrifying. I really recommend this game to horror game lovers.
  17. Jan 1, 2015
    I go back to this game constantly... I've played it so many times and I never get bored of it. I've used this game as an argument in the debate over games being art. I point at this game with a resounding yes. For this game is a masterpiece of not only horror but gaming in general. Games are windows to a new world, they allow us an experience things that would be impossible in real life.I go back to this game constantly... I've played it so many times and I never get bored of it. I've used this game as an argument in the debate over games being art. I point at this game with a resounding yes. For this game is a masterpiece of not only horror but gaming in general. Games are windows to a new world, they allow us an experience things that would be impossible in real life. They are creations of imagination... characters, worlds, environments and lore. Movies are great but they could never immerse us as much as a game could. We control the progression of the story, we control the main character and we go through the emotions.

It's here you will find what games can truly be. It's here Amnesia The Dark Decent stands alone. The story is compelling, it's so gripping that it plays off your emotions. It wraps you even further within it's clutches giving you immersion you haven't felt before. It's a game, yet many people swear that they feel like there's something at risk when they play this. They actually feel like they're in danger. But the greatest aspect of this game is within it's level design. You will find the game constantly sends mixed signals, you'll feel exactly what the game wants you to. Allowing yourself to be taken in will grant a gaming experience the likes of which have never been known.

For example the area with the water monster is one of the most intense moments in a horror game. You're being chased by sound rather than sight. You hear the creature splashing towards yet you cannot see him. The water monster does not have a character model... some say that's lying design but it's actually genius. One of man's worst fears in this world is the fear of the unknown. Our minds are capable of many things, one thing in peticular is our amazing able to imagine. Your mind doesn't see anything in the water so it will fill that empty space with whatever the nearest surroundings are. And what it ends up doing is running our imagination wild, as it fill that empty space with your worst fear. The water monster is no longer a monster in a game... it's personal.

Getting past this area means you've gone through one of the scariest moments in the game... so what do you get for it? An achievement? Achievement points? A high score? A character in the game saying "good job!" Do you get an epic mount? No... you get the greatest award this game could offer you after such an experience.... you get a relaxing room. The room right after the water monster is a well light room with a hole in the ceiling, allowing the player to see the light of day for the first time in the game, you get beautiful somber music playing gently in the background, the calming sound of running water coming from the fountain. This is the game saying "good job, relax a bit you're going to need it" it rewards you with an emotion rather than some meaningless item or achievement. It gives you a much needed breather.

As for the design of monsters (grunts) they are in their own right a brilliant idea. They may look like creepy disturbing monsters but they are also emotions. The main character isn't being chased by monsters, he's being chased by guilt. Guilt from the people he's tortured for this own safety against the darkness. Their twisted disfigured bodies are a representation of a tortured victim. That's why you can't attack them... you can't kill your own guilty memories... not even by purposely giving yourself amnesia. They as well as the main character, cannot leave that place until something is done. The main character is being chased by something far more sinister than monsters, something he must purge. The story is about a man who had purposely lost his mind to regain strength, in the vain hope he would rid himself of this feeling of dread as death approaches him. With every piece of the puzzle he unlocks, with every step of progress he makes it takes a toll on his his own conscience. The more he remembers the more his walls of sanity begin to crack, as he's being chased by his own demons he ventures further down into the darkness in hope he'll see light.

Given the level of immersion, this game has been considered the scariest game of all time. It's not due to fandom or some contrived belief that this game is better than the others... it's given this title simply because the people who play cannot help but get so wrapped up in the story that they feel as if it's their own dark decent they must venture into. The danger feels real... the fear feels real and for the player the only escape is to move forward or hit that ESC button.

There aren't enough 10's in the world to express how amazing this game is. It's truly a masterpiece.
  18. Dec 17, 2014
    This game... It is one of the only games to ever fill me with a sense of dread, And I LOVED it! Every single second! The ambiance, The sounds and lighting all work together to leave you wanting to stop but you just can't! The ONLY reason I didn't give a 10 is because the game IS rather linear and the graphics are pretty dated but that is to be expected of an indie publisher. BUY IT NOW!
  19. Dec 4, 2014
    Psychological survivor horror at its best! Creepy, scary, frightening and the developers really know the human nature. It's not one of those full of cheap jump scares it takes advantage of the human weakness.

Amnesia has pretty good graphics (but not top-notch), excellent sound effects, fantastic music by Mikko Tarmia. You can interact with many objects to make the feel more genuine.

You will always feel like someone or something is following you. It will wreck your nerves and when you think you are in safe, something bad will happen. It has a great lovecraftian story (with 3 different endings), nice voice acting and compared to that it was made by a small game developer team, it is better than the most of the AAA horror titles.

The game was release in 2010, but it's still great and it has a Custom Story mode, which allows modders to create their own stories and even total conversion mods.
  20. Dec 3, 2014
    After playing it for 22 hours I must warn you. Some of the challenges strain you, and will stress you out when you are being chased while trying to solve a puzzle. That is the beauty of the game, it pushes your mind, races your hear, and crushes you when you get cocky. 10/10
  21. Nov 18, 2014
    I wanted to like this game. I saw the "reaction" trailers which made it look deliriously scary. I read about how it was the "most frightening game ever made." I sat down with great anticipation and...ugh. Slow. Monotonous. Poor graphics. Little investment in the storyline. I couldn't finish it.
  22. Nov 14, 2014
    Holy **** what is that in the water?! Storytelling, mood and the total fear of the unknown elevate this game to a definite place in history. Admittedly, I truely enjoyed this game solely because of the fact that it followed the recipe of the psychological horror story (in a Silent Hill sort of way) The main connection between this IP and the Silent Hill series is the continualHoly **** what is that in the water?! Storytelling, mood and the total fear of the unknown elevate this game to a definite place in history. Admittedly, I truely enjoyed this game solely because of the fact that it followed the recipe of the psychological horror story (in a Silent Hill sort of way) The main connection between this IP and the Silent Hill series is the continual psyschological anguish that follows the player all the way through the experience.

Of course, the IP differs greatly from the Silent Hill series. First thing, of course is that it is not in the third person, but the first. Also, a person cannot actually defend themself against the horrors of the gameworld which in a (at the time of release) really fresh way introduces a new game mechanic. The inablility to defend, attack or in any way fight the monstrosities that one faces introduce a truely different experience never encountered in gaming.

For these accomplishments this game always remain a true benchmark in all future horror game experiences. Bravo.
  23. Oct 27, 2014
    vewy scawy it scawes panties of of me. me **** meself when me paways it, me is scawed of getin dewem of big mouze monistowr chacing me threw place in me homes. me lyke ze game cuse me is scawed in game ze gave me, me is vewy good revivng gamez cuse me ony 4 and me englash is god top ze lane and yu is jally of me englash skalls. tank yu for rading me revieu of vawy god game cuse me vawy godvewy scawy it scawes panties of of me. me **** meself when me paways it, me is scawed of getin dewem of big mouze monistowr chacing me threw place in me homes. me lyke ze game cuse me is scawed in game ze gave me, me is vewy good revivng gamez cuse me ony 4 and me englash is god top ze lane and yu is jally of me englash skalls. tank yu for rading me revieu of vawy god game cuse me vawy god reviving. tank yu agan for laking my vawy god reviu. tank yu vewy mach, ma lave ya vawy mach. godbuy Expand
  24. Oct 16, 2014
    Refined old-fashioned horror for the discerning gentleman. This is the quintessential 'haunted castle' experience. Scary enough, but in a restrained way, without as much depravity as some other horror games. Pacing is deliberately slow and focuses more on the suspense and what you hear around the corner. No other game manages to make me feel so helpless - you can't fight, you can only hideRefined old-fashioned horror for the discerning gentleman. This is the quintessential 'haunted castle' experience. Scary enough, but in a restrained way, without as much depravity as some other horror games. Pacing is deliberately slow and focuses more on the suspense and what you hear around the corner. No other game manages to make me feel so helpless - you can't fight, you can only hide or run. The controls are refreshingly simple and work very well. The graphics and level design are a bit mediocre, and gameplay may lack a bit of variety, which prevents it from being truly great. Still, I can easily recommend this. The mod scene is one of the best around, with some great single-player custom stories that compete with the base game for quality. Expand
  25. Oct 13, 2014
    The best horror game ever made without a doubt. This game was not only one of the scariest games ive ever played, but is also a fantastic survival experience. The sounds and music are brilliant and contributed greatly to building the tension and kept me tense throughout the entire game( amnesia even won awards for it's audio and technical excellence at the 2011 independent gamesThe best horror game ever made without a doubt. This game was not only one of the scariest games ive ever played, but is also a fantastic survival experience. The sounds and music are brilliant and contributed greatly to building the tension and kept me tense throughout the entire game( amnesia even won awards for it's audio and technical excellence at the 2011 independent games festival). The atmosphere is as pure as it gets, from the dimly lit hallways to the dark underground cells, every little noise will have you jumping by the end, especially with the game's fantastic attention to detail on many levels. There are also custom stories that can keep the games appeal alive even after it's complete ( some of which are amazing and i would have payed money for). Terrifying, unique and one of the most immersive experiences you'll ever have Amnesia the Dark Descent is a must play for anyone even remotely interested in horror Expand
  26. Oct 11, 2014
    From the first loading screen to the conclusion of the story, this game is absolutely terrifying. A stressful, and at times a downright unpleasant experience. Which is surely what we want from a survival horror? This is without a doubt the best horror game I've ever played, with a lovely story that has the richness and depth of a novel. I would have liked to have some replay value in it,From the first loading screen to the conclusion of the story, this game is absolutely terrifying. A stressful, and at times a downright unpleasant experience. Which is surely what we want from a survival horror? This is without a doubt the best horror game I've ever played, with a lovely story that has the richness and depth of a novel. I would have liked to have some replay value in it, but, I suppose you can't expect that from an interactive story. That's the only reason this doesn't get a perfect 10. Expand
  27. Sep 26, 2014
    Sin duda alguna, uno de los mejores juegos de terror del año, te hace sentirte como si estuvieras dentro, es asombroso. Se lo recomiendo a todos, (la única forma de que no te guste, es que tengas miedo)
  28. Sep 8, 2014
    This game is pure intensity and scary **** It gives you so much tension that you just can't wait to finish the game, but it is so difficult and takes so long, that you are definitely not going to finish this in one day without a walkthrough. It gives you the frightening feeling to just get the hell out of wherever you are end everything. It gives you the hesitation to just look around aThis game is pure intensity and scary **** It gives you so much tension that you just can't wait to finish the game, but it is so difficult and takes so long, that you are definitely not going to finish this in one day without a walkthrough. It gives you the frightening feeling to just get the hell out of wherever you are end everything. It gives you the hesitation to just look around a corner, open a door, or turn on your lantern in a pitch black room. Continuation in this game is one of the hardest things you'll ever have to do. It's so frightening and uncomfortable, that moving through the game is slow, which makes it even worse. Expand
  29. Jul 31, 2014
    Hype doesn't lie here. Truly one of the scariest gaming experience you can get. Work with fear, dread, light, building up tension and atmosphere works amazingly well in this game. One of the best gaming horrors of the last decade. 9/10
  30. Jun 22, 2014
    A great horror game, has several interesting things like sanity, which also hindering the game makes the player has a greater connection with the setting, the game is also the puzzles, and the puzzles are beautifully drawn, inventory serves to hold the items that most of them, you will use the puzzles, it also has an interesting history.

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the scariest game in years. You'll get an extremely creepy vibe from the castle and all of the mysterious things that are happening there. The voice overs and the ending of the game aren't great, but this shouldn't bother anyone seeing how you'll be extremely scared when you play this on your own in a dark room.
  2. Jan 31, 2011
    Amnesia offers an experience so rich that we're willing to forgive its weak ending, imperfections of the engine, and low-bugdet production values.
  3. Jan 29, 2011
    At times it's a struggle to play purely because of how scary it can be, and it's not often you can say that about a video game. Just remember: lights off, headphones on, and try not to go insane.