• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Feb 17, 2011
8.7

1. Apr 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I bought this game with because of all the acclaim it got and I figured, hey it's only 20 bucks for a great game. Wrong. Wrong. Where do I start? How about the really boring story. It seems they made the game and all the puzzles and then thought man, I need a reason to do all this. So uninteresting I've already checked somewhere in the water part. How are the creepy/scary qualities? It was creepy for all of 20 minutes. Then it was just stupid. Losing your sanity consists of a few more scratching sounds and a dumb filter put on the scree. Then sometimes the screen flashes and becomes a little more red while your lose control. Ah yes, control. The controls suck. Think Minecraft and you'd be nearly spot on. The only fun I started having with the game was running (which is more like fast walking) and jumping. Usually I tried to glitch the game and monsters. By the way, the monsters are not scary. Once again see Minecraft. Except sometimes they are invisible and can hurt you... but you can jump through them. Seriously don't be suckered like me by all these reviews. Compare this side by side to a serious game title (Dead Space) and it'll knock it out of the water. Lastly, I have a good graphics card and the settings are at the highest. Yeah, the graphics still suck. Is this company stuck in 2001? Thanks for reading. Summary: Unless you're 3 and have never played a half-decent video game before, don't waste your time. It's not fun, scary, creepy, a good story, or a cool experience. Expand
  2. Jun 13, 2012
    Frictional has made some pretty good games in the past--I played and enjoyed all three of the Penumbra games, and even consider Black Plague to be one of the best horror games ever. But within five seconds of beginning Amnesia: The Dark Descent, I want to throw up--literally. Like, the nausea from the forced camera motion is so strong that I cannot play the game. I checked the forums,Frictional has made some pretty good games in the past--I played and enjoyed all three of the Penumbra games, and even consider Black Plague to be one of the best horror games ever. But within five seconds of beginning Amnesia: The Dark Descent, I want to throw up--literally. Like, the nausea from the forced camera motion is so strong that I cannot play the game. I checked the forums, and there is no workaround for this introduction. I cannot give a game anything higher than a "0" if I cannot physically play it in the first place. Sorry. Expand
  3. Dec 21, 2012
    Atmospheric and creepy for a while...then it gets boring. There's something that really breaks immersion for me. You can't fight at all. You can't even shove things away when you get close. You can't pick up any sort of weapon despite passing dozens of reasonable objects like shovels and knives. This leads to a problem. All the monsters have to be lame enough that you can just walk awayAtmospheric and creepy for a while...then it gets boring. There's something that really breaks immersion for me. You can't fight at all. You can't even shove things away when you get close. You can't pick up any sort of weapon despite passing dozens of reasonable objects like shovels and knives. This leads to a problem. All the monsters have to be lame enough that you can just walk away from them. The sense of danger just goes out the window once you figure out the game mechanics. A "Horror" game isn't scary once you realize you are literally no danger whatsoever for 90% of the play time. It's not terrifying, it's a fun-house ride. Complete with blinking lights and people making "OOOoooooo" noises from around corners.

If you really try to get immersed in it, I guess it could be a pretty creepy experience. But it's not a all that great as a GAME. Which is a pity, because it's been quite a while since we had a horror game that was both fun to play and actually scary. We might have to go all the way back to System Shock 2 in 1999. Although i suppose F.E.A.R. or Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth might be honorable mentions.
  4. Nov 1, 2012
    very random game, cant mention anything special.
    you walk arround and solve more or less obvious puzzles.
    graphics look a bit old, the sounds are ok, it has some basic physic effects. a weird story... if you find this game scary you might should take a look in a dictionary for the definition of this word. a ingrown toenail is a lot more scary than this. when its on sale buy it
    very random game, cant mention anything special.
    you walk arround and solve more or less obvious puzzles.

when its on sale buy it only if you are really bored, the regular price of 15
  5. Feb 7, 2012
    My Review (WARNING! Some adult language exists within this review)

My Review (WARNING! Some adult language exists within this review)

In two words, it sucks. I have to admit I was scared...for the first 1 hour of playing. After that, I was like "Yeah, yeah....wind blowing, creaky noise...I'm scared. Come and get me already!" The environment would have been much scarier if they hadn't thrown in the creaks, the moans, the things-that-give-me-hibbie-jibbies every 10 seconds or so. I found myself jumping at nothing...other than jumping awake after realizing I had dozed off. This game is boring. *Find the key to the Wine Cellar*: Whatever you do, don't give me a hint on where it might be..other than "...in the castle". Please, make me pull EVERY effing book off of every effing shelf just so I can become desensitized to the scary environment because I've seen, listened, hell, even TASTED it over and over and over again (okay...I admit...I hadn't tasted any of the environment).

Some may like this game, though. It seems to have those god-awful puzzles that some have always seemed to like. Me? I gave that **** up when I hit 25 years old. I want a game that is spooky, has a few puzzles, and gives me the chance to actually HIT something periodically. In this little gem, you run like a scared sissy from anything...even the **** dark. That's right...I said the DARK. If you remain in the dark for an extended period of time, you go...get this...INSANE. Not hysterical. Not just a little scared. Insane. Want to know how to stave off that little ounce of craziness? Look no further than...you guessed it...the LIGHT. Which is awesome, because they give you a lantern...that you have to find oil for...which is INSANELY (see what I did there? :P) few and far between...and, the oil is the fastest burning **** since human hair. I filled my lantern up and got about 5-6mins of actual light. I would have to be under contract with BP just to keep this **** burning.

So, if you enjoy running around in a spooky castle, avoiding anything that would make a 16-year-old school girl jump, then get this game.
    Or, if you really enjoy taking aspirin. A LOT of aspirin, as this sonava**** gave me an Excedrin Headache +12.

Final Score:

1.5 Lit Lanterns out of 5.0 (See what I did there? :P)

P.S. I'm not bitter.
  6. Feb 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Warning, if you haven't played yet, you probably don't want to read too many reviews or any and not mine.

First of all, turned off the lights, put on headphones, hope ended there...

The good: The game had a decent atmosphere and graphics as well as minor puzzle solving. The in game playing and use was easy to handle. Not a lot of glitches, didn't have to restart due to any odd issues. The bad: I was never once "terrified" or even a bit shaken up by this game and still sit back scratching my head as to the horrified reviews, especially the screamer reactions on Youtube. I suggest for those who are scared of this game, don't watch Scooby Doo, you will also be terrified.

There are decent puzzles, most of it was spent on useless object moving. Madness? Only after tossing 5000 books off shelves that had nothing behind them, that in fact, was maddening. Most solving was meager at best and child's play to figure out.

Scary? Disturbing would be more the word. The only thing completely scary was having to look at another man's genitalia of a tortured body. The creatures, zombies? that lurk in the dark, give plenty of warning they are there, so they may slash and kill you which is easy enough to avoid. The water creature? Yes, there is nothing more terrifying than a splash chasing you I guess.

There could easily have been more puzzles to solve, the game became extremely repetitive. There were a few instances of building, putting together objects, etc... but not nearly what could have been. Why give 10 candles to light in one area? Why not just one or two for what is needed? I started over simply due to wasting tinderboxes where they weren't needed. One hint I would give to players, save the tinder boxes don't waste them lighting everything in sight, only what's needed.

The over abundance of notes and entries were for what? The story line was very weak, and maybe would have made more sense to me if pulling out my fingernails wasn't more interesting than the read. What happened to some of these people? I have no clue, they disappeared along with the plot.

The ending was the easiest and most disappointing aspect of the whole game, waiting for that big finish only to find it was over in less than 20 seconds.

Conclusion: All in all, a good game to play once. I can't understand all the +10 ratings or the screamer reactions on Youtube but again, decent enough to have some fun.
  7. Nov 30, 2013
    You'll wish you had amnesia so you could forget you ever bought this game. Either that or bring coffee, lots and lots of coffee. It is so boring you will be snoozing with out a huge dose of stimulant. If you look poking around in the dark or shadows clicking away endlessly at "who-knows what", then you could like that game. There's no mystery here, just things that are not easy to findYou'll wish you had amnesia so you could forget you ever bought this game. Either that or bring coffee, lots and lots of coffee. It is so boring you will be snoozing with out a huge dose of stimulant. If you look poking around in the dark or shadows clicking away endlessly at "who-knows what", then you could like that game. There's no mystery here, just things that are not easy to find nor necessarily logical. Good luck finding those hours you'll lose wasted on this game. Expand
  8. Jul 27, 2012
    Too much wobbly camera. Extremely annoying looped sounds in certain areas. Character in game freaks out every time he sees his shadow. Its really difficult to immerse myself in the game if every minute I'm telling my character to "chill out it was just a shadow". "Daniel", the character you play as, freaks out way too often at just about everything and it completely tore me out of theToo much wobbly camera. Extremely annoying looped sounds in certain areas. Character in game freaks out every time he sees his shadow. Its really difficult to immerse myself in the game if every minute I'm telling my character to "chill out it was just a shadow". "Daniel", the character you play as, freaks out way too often at just about everything and it completely tore me out of the experience. I can see why some people would like this game if you can get past some of the very questionable design choices, but this game is very overrated in my opinion. Also wasn't really all that scary from what I played, its just a glorified atmospheric game of hide and seek with a main character who has a panic attack every time he sees his own shadow. Expand
  9. Sep 4, 2013
    VERY OVERRATED GAME. I'll get the good out of the way, it looks nice enough, good sound design, and downright great physics which it takes advantage of in puzzles (some that are good, others that are not). The story was boring and not exactly told to you in best of ways. Your character is silent because pffft hiring a voice actor would cost money, you can't fight the monsters only runVERY OVERRATED GAME. I'll get the good out of the way, it looks nice enough, good sound design, and downright great physics which it takes advantage of in puzzles (some that are good, others that are not). The story was boring and not exactly told to you in best of ways. Your character is silent because pffft hiring a voice actor would cost money, you can't fight the monsters only run because fending for yourself is overrated real gamers/people run from their problems. Some enemies can't actually be seen because they felt like being lazy and then the big scary monster looks downright awful and not frightening in the slightest. I laughed my ass of the first time I got a look at him. Finally, it's not scary. Yeah I realize some might disagree and yeah what scares one person may not scare another but I really didn't find this game scary. It really reminds me of Slender Man, another overrated "horror" game: both are only frightening to people who either scare easily or haven't seen many horror movies or played many horror videogames. As someone who has played and seen many horror movies and videogames, Amnesia was nothing spectacular in my opinion. Expand
  10. Nov 17, 2012
    I was about to purchase this game based on reputation @Metacritic alone and boy, am I glad they offer a demo on Steam. I didn't even finish the demo because it is hardly scary. Granted, the audio may be superb but this feature is completely diminished by the fact that the graphics and level design appear to be based on something that was contrived in the very early 2000s. One could compareI was about to purchase this game based on reputation @Metacritic alone and boy, am I glad they offer a demo on Steam. I didn't even finish the demo because it is hardly scary. Granted, the audio may be superb but this feature is completely diminished by the fact that the graphics and level design appear to be based on something that was contrived in the very early 2000s. One could compare its quality to be part way between Thief II and Thief: Deadly Shadows. This is an absolute deal-breaker for me and I wonder, how this can be received with such a high degree of professional appraisal (Metascore of 85).

Sure, there are games that look like crap an are extremely popular, such as Minecraft. But, in very stark contrast to Amnesia, the Minecraft experience does not thrive on ambience and immersion.

Considering the fact, that the vast majority of human cognitive perception is based on visual stimuli, I am having a very hard time understanding why anyone with a trained I could give this horror-flick a 100% on a professional review without constant fear of having you credibility on the line...YES, I am looking at you Gamecritics & Gamernode! wtf?
  11. Sep 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is really messed up. When you encounter with the monster just open the light and run towards it. It will run away. So when you know that spot, it becomes a useless and worst horror game ever. Expand
  12. Apr 5, 2014
    I decided to submit a new review of Amnesia: The Dark Descent. The first time I played through the game, I couldn't even make it through a half hour of the game I thought it was so awful. After having a friend tell me it gets better after about an hour in, I gave it another shot and I eventually beat the game.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a 'survival horror' exploration game. I use the

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a 'survival horror' exploration game. I use the term survival horror loosely because besides walking around or running there is very little survival elements to the game. As much as I try to understand it, I can't figure out what makes this game so popular or how people can become so terrified of it, I never found the game remotely scary in the least.

As you begin the game, you will find yourself in a castle of sorts, you've lost your memory and you need to find out where you are and a way out of the castle. During the entire game you'll never leave the castle and almost at all times, all of the game environments looks similar. A dark, spooky castle, you can tell rooms have actually be reused. After awhile it becomes very tedious.

As you progress through the game, you'll remember bits of your memory or find old journals, revealing more of the story. I'll be frank, the story is not unique, it's not witty, the writing is very dry, slow paced and clich├ęd. I never once found myself interested or engrossed in the story.

I tried my best to become engrossed in the game, I played in a dark room, I used a 3D surround sound headset, but more times then not, I often found things that actually pulled me out of the game. To begin with, there are common sense things in the game that the developers ignored. For example, you can light candles in a room, but you can't actually carry them. Why can't you carry the candles? The only reason I can think of is because it breaks the core mechanics of the game and the need for light. And that isn't a good reason. Developers should have enough hindsight to know what players are thinking or what they may try to do in a game and work with that. They could have easily figured candles into the game's equation, they simply refused to.

During my time with the game, I experienced issues with the sound, which is a really great way to break immersion. For example; there may be water dripping and if I face it, I will hear it, if I turn away from it, the sound is suddenly gone, it doesn't even fade away. This is NOT an issue with my hardware as this isn't something I encounter on a day to day basis, this is explicitly a problem with the game and it's sound engine.

While a survival horror game would surely encourage exploration, this game does not. It's fairly straight forward and basically forces you into the direction it wants you to go, either with monsters, puzzles or blocked off paths. The lack of different environments makes the game stagnate almost immediately.

Speaking of Monsters, the monsters are terribly designed, in most cases you either won't see them due to darkness, or they are simply invisible. When you finally do get a chance to see some of the monsters in the game, they are lack luster at best with terrible, outdated character models. Their AI is terrible and the easiest way to avoid them is simply run off a distance into a dark corner and look at the floor. After playing the game for a bit, you can actually begin to predict monster attacks to the point where you can actually avoid a majority of monsters. As a matter of fact, in the last part of the game you can literally just run past all of them.

The puzzles presented in the game are simple, easy and predictable. I actually found myself rolling my eyes at some of the puzzles in the game.

This game is not new, it's not fresh and it's not unique. From a technical standpoint it's way below average and for a game that would most likely rely heavily on writing, it has a terrible story line. Anyone claiming to be terrorized by this game is either a eight year old girl or severely mentally challenged.
  13. Mar 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan .I hate Japan . JAPAN SCAWWY Expand

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the scariest game in years. You'll get an extremely creepy vibe from the castle and all of the mysterious things that are happening there. The voice overs and the ending of the game aren't great, but this shouldn't bother anyone seeing how you'll be extremely scared when you play this on your own in a dark room.
  2. Jan 31, 2011
    Amnesia offers an experience so rich that we're willing to forgive its weak ending, imperfections of the engine, and low-bugdet production values.
  3. Jan 29, 2011
    At times it's a struggle to play purely because of how scary it can be, and it's not often you can say that about a video game. Just remember: lights off, headphones on, and try not to go insane.