Amnesia: The Dark Descent PC

8.7

1. Sep 16, 2010
    You thought Dead Space was scary? It doesn't even hold a candle to Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Believe the hype, this is the stuff nightmares are made of.
  2. Sep 13, 2010
    An unimaginably scary experience with an unimaginably terrifying and philosophically questionable story, hiding/running from monsters is terrifying and puzzles are often intuitive. Sound is brilliant, with just plain amazing ambient noises that make you scared to move on for fear of encountering a monster in the next room, and nightmare fuel music.
  3. Sep 10, 2010
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is simply the best survival-horror game which came out in a while. It's a 'must-have' for all horror-survival fans and, of course, PC owners.
  4. BMF
    Mar 26, 2011
    A very very scary game that relies psychological terror rather then jumpy moments to scare the player also not having weapons to fight back adds to the "If that thing sees me im dead" moments.
  5. Jan 19, 2011
    Horror, adventure, a lot of horror, puzzle solving a a ton of horror more! that's what it is.
    I would say that if you liked any of Penumbra Games, you will love this one too. It takes the best of the previous games and makes something truly remarkable for the price point. It's definitely worth trying.

an advice: play with headphones at night
  6. Dec 17, 2010
    This game concept was new to me, as I have never played a survival horror on the PC, there is so many things that make this game great the most important is how the game always keeps you on the edge of your seat ready to jump up and shout in fear. The main features of this game are adventuring, puzzling and crapping yourself with fear, the games monsters aren't the only thing that keep youThis game concept was new to me, as I have never played a survival horror on the PC, there is so many things that make this game great the most important is how the game always keeps you on the edge of your seat ready to jump up and shout in fear. The main features of this game are adventuring, puzzling and crapping yourself with fear, the games monsters aren't the only thing that keep you on your guard as there are factors like sanity, stay in the light and you will stay sane, stay in the darkness however and your sanity will start to decrease or witnessing unnatural events will as well. The game has great graphics and spectacular sound and atmosphere, this is a must play! Expand
  7. Oct 2, 2010
    Penumbra is one of my favorite horror games, but this is even better. This game really shows how a psychological horror is supposed to be made! It's really worth buying, especially because it's so cheap.
  8. Sep 9, 2010
    Just finished one (of three?) endings tonight. The way the game presents itself - atmosphere, pacing, even the ambient sounds all add to a tension-filled session of gameplay. This is a *must have* for anyone that's a fan of Atmospheric horrors, such as Penumbra and Silent Hill. The story was just as enjoyable for me, revealing why the player-character, Daniel, willingly took a tonicJust finished one (of three?) endings tonight. The way the game presents itself - atmosphere, pacing, even the ambient sounds all add to a tension-filled session of gameplay. This is a *must have* for anyone that's a fan of Atmospheric horrors, such as Penumbra and Silent Hill. The story was just as enjoyable for me, revealing why the player-character, Daniel, willingly took a tonic that gave him amnesia. The climax of that story made my jaw drop into my lap for the first time since BioShock's twist. Expand
  9. Sep 9, 2010
    Tense beyond anything you've ever experienced in the gaming world. Manages to top the Penumbra series by a mile...and that's saying something. Great graphics, eerie ambient sounds and a deep psychological story. Don't miss this one!
  10. Sep 9, 2010
    The complete vulnerability evokes the most intense emotions while also adding adrenaline to your fright fed furnace like no other game currently available today.
  11. Sep 10, 2010
    Best horror game since the Penumbra series themselves. Do i need to say more? Well put it this way, within about an hour of playing i was TERRIFIED of playing any further and i was enjoy ever second of playing it at the same time. Just simply amazing experience.
  12. Sep 10, 2010
    This is by far the most haunting and eerie game i have ever played. The graphics are decent, but the game itself doesn't completely rely on the graphics to create such a scary atmosphere, it's the brilliant sound design and narration. This game will have you jumping in your seat when even the slightest odd thing happens, let alone the real scares, some of which created a genuine feeling ofThis is by far the most haunting and eerie game i have ever played. The graphics are decent, but the game itself doesn't completely rely on the graphics to create such a scary atmosphere, it's the brilliant sound design and narration. This game will have you jumping in your seat when even the slightest odd thing happens, let alone the real scares, some of which created a genuine feeling of terror for me. Seriously, this game blows the Penumbra (up until now my favorite horror games) completely out of the water. Ten times over. Bottom line: if you loved the Penumbra series, get it. If you did not play them, get it. The 15-ish euro price tag is just stealing the game, because i would have still bought it if it where 40 euros. Frictional Games, you truly outdid yourselves. Already can't wait for a new game from you. I love you Frictional Games!! Expand
  13. Sep 15, 2010
    I thought Penumbra was scary, but this is best horror game so far. Playing at night in dark quite room can get you a heart attack! I love the atmosphere, story, puzzles and the physics in this game.
  14. Sep 15, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the best games I have ever played. The atmosphere is gorgeous. The game play is very straight but in its simplicity it's perfect. Add freaky monsters, entertaining plot and great ambiance and you should have no dilemma about buying this game. It's absolutely outstanding and miles away from other survival horror games. I can ercommend this game to everyone who like to be scaried. Expand
  15. Nov 2, 2010
    A truly remarkable horror experience, you won't find cutting edge graphics or Hollywood voice-acting but what you will find is true fear and tension that even sometimes you would want to quit just because you're too scared to carry on.
  16. Sep 17, 2010
    The "Survival-Horror" genre is losing its touch. These days, games that carry the title are much less about horror and more about things jumping out at you for a cheap scare. Even the survival aspect is often pushed to the back burner in favor of making an easier game accessible to a more general audience. As a result survival-horror fans are getting action games with a few scary momentsThe "Survival-Horror" genre is losing its touch. These days, games that carry the title are much less about horror and more about things jumping out at you for a cheap scare. Even the survival aspect is often pushed to the back burner in favor of making an easier game accessible to a more general audience. As a result survival-horror fans are getting action games with a few scary moments shoved down their throats.

Amnesia isn't like that. Amnesia focuses on three things: atmosphere, survival, and, above all else, horror. Before players start the game, a warning is given that the game should not be played to win. It should be played to allow one's self to be absorbed into the world of Amnesia. Those that follow this advice will be in for the ride of their life. From the very beginning of the game, Amnesia's immersive and completely unsettling world will have you questioning if that sound is something moving, or if you're just going insane. You'll be afraid to go around the next corner, lest something horrifying is there. But you won't be able to stop.

With the recent release of the same development tool kit that the creators used to make the game, players can make their own stories. With a bit of creativity and just a bit of that sadistic love of horror, we'll be seeing good things come from Amnesia for a time to come.
  17. Sep 17, 2010
    This game is amazing...-ly frightening. The game takes advantage of all the little details of human nature not usually included in video games, and by combining heavy breathing with dizziness and eerie creaks, I practically became the person in the game. In fact, some times I would hear something to the left, and I would look away from the monitor myself. And more than just being creepyThis game is amazing...-ly frightening. The game takes advantage of all the little details of human nature not usually included in video games, and by combining heavy breathing with dizziness and eerie creaks, I practically became the person in the game. In fact, some times I would hear something to the left, and I would look away from the monitor myself. And more than just being creepy is the realism of the game, although some things are designed unrealistically on purpose, it just makes you feel like you're going crazy. I must admit I was scared many times, and the subtle revealing of the plot as you advance gives you more understanding of the situation, yet makes you feel even more scared. It doesn't require much puzzle-solving, but its goal is to scare me stiff, and frictional games did an excellent job of that. Expand
  18. Mar 27, 2011
    Have you ever pissed your pants while playing a gameâ
  19. Sep 30, 2011
    There are times in this game where you will be very scared, but never a time when you will want to stop playing. Amnesia is the scariest game ever made, but also one of the best. The water stage will haunt your memories.
  20. Sep 27, 2010
    Where Amnesia differs from other horror games is that you have absolutely no weapons whatsoever, creating this feeling of complete and utter helplessness as you are stalked around Castle Brennenberg by an unknown shadow. "Survival horror" games such as the Resident Evil series are no longer "survival horror"- they are 3rd person shoot-'em-ups. Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a trulyWhere Amnesia differs from other horror games is that you have absolutely no weapons whatsoever, creating this feeling of complete and utter helplessness as you are stalked around Castle Brennenberg by an unknown shadow. "Survival horror" games such as the Resident Evil series are no longer "survival horror"- they are 3rd person shoot-'em-ups. Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a truly terrifying game due to the atmosphere created on your computer screen. I personally can't play it for more than five minutes without having to stop and tell myself "It's only a game"- definitely the horror element doing its job. Expand
  21. Sep 28, 2010
    A beautifully crafted game that makes great use of sound to create a tense, horrifying atmosphere. As others have suggested, if you'd played any of the penumbra series, you will certainly enjoy this game. My biggest recommendation for players is to do what the game says, turn your lights off and use a really good pair of headphones; be aware however... you may have nightmares.
  22. Oct 24, 2010
    Amnesia is a game of horror that truly honors the genre: It scares. The gameplay mechanics for the game are at first disheartening: There's no way to defend yourself, other than hiding or outrunning whatever you bump into. But, that's the beauty of it. The game inmerses yourself. It doesn't punish you for being killed, but it instead seeks to inmerse yourself completely in the game so youAmnesia is a game of horror that truly honors the genre: It scares. The gameplay mechanics for the game are at first disheartening: There's no way to defend yourself, other than hiding or outrunning whatever you bump into. But, that's the beauty of it. The game inmerses yourself. It doesn't punish you for being killed, but it instead seeks to inmerse yourself completely in the game so you truly feel fear for not knowing what's around the corner or hiding in the dark. And, the puzzles themselves are at the same time challening but with solutions reached by the use of reason and exploring.

Graphics are quite good considering the minimum requirements that the game asks. I have seen a review from one critics that he struggled on making this game playable. I don't really know what game he was playing, but this one didn't require from me even a minor tweak to get good fps or to fix any bugs. It simply sets the recommended settings depending on what graphics card that you are using.

The story is quite good and makes your moral compass struggle between what's right and what's wrong. This game is also about collecting clues to regain a sense of what happened and why you don't remember anything.

So, to sume it all up, it's a must buy and it really has an excellent value considering the $19.99 price tag on steam. Hell, if I would have known that it was this good, I would have payed $49.99. It truly is better than most titles that reach the $49.99 price tag.
  23. Sep 27, 2011
    First off I'd like to address the naysayers. A game is not all about showing off the latest graphics technology (Crysis), or pumping out yet another addition to an already successful money-making franchise (CoD). It's also about engrossing you in the story and, more importantly, the atmosphere. If you weren't pulled into the atmosphere, then I guess this isn't your kind of game or you wereFirst off I'd like to address the naysayers. A game is not all about showing off the latest graphics technology (Crysis), or pumping out yet another addition to an already successful money-making franchise (CoD). It's also about engrossing you in the story and, more importantly, the atmosphere. If you weren't pulled into the atmosphere, then I guess this isn't your kind of game or you were only playing to win (something the game actually tells you NOT to do), and I suggest you find another game you like and just stick with that.... Now onto the review....... Have you ever been scared? Had a nightmare where you are taking a test you haven't studied for, or spending the day in your underwear? Played Dead Space or Doom 3 and jumped when the scary guy hopped out of the vent screaming at you while being illuminated by your flashlight? Those are some scary scenarios aren't they? But have you ever been alone, in a series of near pitch black stone corridors, hearing voices and screams resonate faintly through the halls, with nothing but a half-empty weak oil lamp to keep you company, knowing that something is indeed "out there" ready to brutally murder you within seconds of noticing you, and realized that the only way to escape this nightmare is to continue the dark hallway that you now fear so much?... Take a minute to absorb that one... That is Amnesia: The Dark Descent for you. Very few mainstream video game titles have ever built such an engrossing atmosphere before, save for Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, and a few others. From beginning to end you are but one mortal man, in a large almost derelict castle, with no memory, an order to kill a man, a warning that a "shadow" is hunting you, and no possible means to defend yourself... Proceed down the halls and through the darkness, steel yourself, and pray that the creature you just briefly glimpsed out of the corner of your eye hasn't seen you... No game has ever been this terrifying before (at least for anyone who has engaged in the atmosphere of any other game completely). The feeling of tension, as you slowly inch around a corner that may or may not be hiding a monster, is truly palpable. Even more so is the feeling of sheer bloody terror as you find yourself fleeing as fast as your mortal legs can take you while fear and panic wash over your nerves, make you sweat, and jerk your muscles involuntarily. You find a supposedly safe spot in the darkness, but your fear of the darkness and the unknown slowly takes its toll on your sanity. The voices become more frequent, the scratching becomes louder, you can't see straight anymore, your vision is blurred, and your movements are sluggish, almost as though your body and/or mind are fighting your attempts to proceed onward. The creature is still there, but where? And when will he strike?... Presentation: As stated before in the review and in oh so many others like it, atmosphere is the focus of Amnesia. Nothing says terror like being alone, in tight, dark corridors, hearing voices, having no weapons at your disposal, and never knowing if that disfigured shape walking across the misty hallway is really there or a trick being played on your mind. Graphics: Again people, graphics don't make a game, though they do certainly help. Amnesia is nothing groundbreaking. It rehashes Frictional's HPL engine from their Penumbra series with some minor graphical improvements. But it's not about the realism of the graphics, but the supernatural darkness that it creates. Audio: The voice acting is adequate but the sounds are far better than most AAA titles. Nothing helps add to the already creepy atmosphere like hearing a flashback take place as though you, the player, are standing there yourself, listening to the articulations of footsteps on dirty stone and hollow wood with high quality sounds of papers being shuffled or doors being opened. Gameplay: The gameplay is pretty primitive. Walk, run, open/close door, take item from inventory and use on puzzle, etc. But as with the atmosphere the lack of combat and weaponry helps drive the feeling of terror that you are meant to feel. The game gives you such simple gameplay elements so that you aren't distracted with "where is the reload key?" You will be focused with staying alive above all else. Replayablity: There is apparently more than just one ending, and you can't save the same game in multiple files. Meaning you can't witness one ending and then just reload to that defining moment where your choice affects the outcome. You will have to play again to get the other endings... All in all, Amnesia is a very well made game, considering the main design team is comprised of only two people. Its atmosphere is almost unmatched. If you manage to let yourself get sucked in, you will start to physically feel terror as you run, breathing heavily, from that dark monster in the hallway, and suddenly feel your whole body get tingly. That is real fear. Expand
  24. Oct 15, 2010
    This game itself has to be the best game I've ever played in a long time, including the scariest game for me too! The atmosphere, story and artistic environments all add up and present a game with a deep, spooky atmosphere, a complex yet interesting story, and the most cleverly designed environments in a game. Frictional Games have managed to impress many and scare the hell out of peopleThis game itself has to be the best game I've ever played in a long time, including the scariest game for me too! The atmosphere, story and artistic environments all add up and present a game with a deep, spooky atmosphere, a complex yet interesting story, and the most cleverly designed environments in a game. Frictional Games have managed to impress many and scare the hell out of people yet again. Good luck and a thanks to Frictional Games. Expand
  25. Oct 17, 2010
    I think Amnesia : the dark descent is one of the scariest games ever made. We can see a very few mistakes, but we can understand that because the game was made by an independant developper. I really love Amnesia because all the games that qualify themselves has "horror-survival" are not scary at all, I think about Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil 5 (even if I love these games too), when youI think Amnesia : the dark descent is one of the scariest games ever made. We can see a very few mistakes, but we can understand that because the game was made by an independant developper. I really love Amnesia because all the games that qualify themselves has "horror-survival" are not scary at all, I think about Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil 5 (even if I love these games too), when you see a zombie, you kill him with a shotgun and that's all. In Amnesia, you run and hide, the only answer to the encounter between you and a monster is to escape. The fear is omnipresent, when you hear screaming voices, when you open a door, when you go into the darkness of a room without light, your heart is going crazy. This is one of the game I will remember all my life as a game of quality. Expand
  26. May 16, 2011
    Finally a horror game that understands the importance of immersion and atmosphere - or to put it another way, that suspense is much more important (and harder to pull off) than surprise. Too many "horror" games I've seen rely entirely on surprise and boring fights (if you can kill the enemies, then they're not nearly as scary - so in Amnesia, you can't fight back!).
  27. Nov 2, 2010
    They hype around the game's fear-factor is well justified until later in the game when much of the fear is replaced by horror of a different kind....
    I'd also say the use of sound is the best I've come across in all my years as a gamer and only wish my headphones had not broken days before I got the game. Still, played at high volume in the dark had the desired effect.
    Graphically very

Graphically very strong with well implemented sanity and disorientation effects.

The story is decent, certainly daring (I think the Devs have read the same disturbing book as I: The Roots of Evil). At times though, the lead actor hams it up a bit too much and if I was reaching to find more weaknesses I'd say it was on the whole a bit too linear and the clues often obviate the need to think too much. The ending also left me wanting thought I predict that was deliberate.....

So while nothing is perfect in this world; since this game cost me just £7 and appears to have been created by a team of about 4 people, it scores a solid 10!

An absolute triumph for Indie Development and I look forward to their next offering!
  28. Nov 2, 2010
    This game is by far the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced. Add to that excellent physics puzzles and a gripping story, and you've got what should be outselling the latest COD or Halo title by a longshot.
  29. Nov 4, 2010
    Amazing game. Delivered the much loved penumbra-esque atmosphere, yet felt nothing like Penumbra, which is a plus in my book. The atmosphere, the story, the intensity and the gameplay mechanics all suck you in. I only wish it were longer! (and that the end was a bit better...)
  30. Nov 5, 2010
    Initially watching a You Tube video of a Halloween special from TotalBiscuit, I grew curious of the game and followed the immersion factor that TB had placed himself in as was recommended by the developers. I have yet to purchase the full version as I had only tried the demo of the game. But even the demo itself is capable of making one jump from their chair and/or have an accident;Initially watching a You Tube video of a Halloween special from TotalBiscuit, I grew curious of the game and followed the immersion factor that TB had placed himself in as was recommended by the developers. I have yet to purchase the full version as I had only tried the demo of the game. But even the demo itself is capable of making one jump from their chair and/or have an accident; depending on the person.

What Amnesia gives you is a first person survival that reminds me of elements from Half-Life puzzles, Doom 3 sudden enemy appearances and events, and enemies that are so twisted and flayed that I would expect that Alma from F.E.A.R. to do.

To recap I intend on setting aside of few nights to stay up all night and experience the terror that Amnesia will have in store for me in the full version of it. It created a hunger for utter terror in me that I'm not sure that I should be ignoring it or concerned about it.
  31. Oct 1, 2011
    One of the best game ever. I enjoy it sooo mutch. The atmosphere is strongest and gameplay si great. This game is an 'must have' for all lovers of horror.
  32. Nov 12, 2010
    i cant play for too long before turning it off because its so intense, it sets up an amazing atmosphere, along with great graphics and near perfect game play it really is a great game that no one should miss.
  33. Nov 12, 2010
    A spiritual successor to Frictional Game's impressive Prenumbra franchise, Amnesia: The Dark Descent breathes life into a dieing genre; offering what is probably one of the most terrifying experiences in the gaming industry and easily the best horror game to grace gamers over the last ten years. If you consider yourself a fan of Survival Horror; you owe it yourself to purchase this game.
  34. Nov 23, 2010
    Holy EFF! This game is terrific. Keeping you on the edge of your seat waiting for what is next and yet at the back of your seat scared of what might jump out at you. This game is full of plus but I'll start with the minus. There are time when the effects seem almost past over by the creators and its looks a little cheesy (things just fade away in a type of fuzz). There are time when youHoly EFF! This game is terrific. Keeping you on the edge of your seat waiting for what is next and yet at the back of your seat scared of what might jump out at you. This game is full of plus but I'll start with the minus. There are time when the effects seem almost past over by the creators and its looks a little cheesy (things just fade away in a type of fuzz). There are time when you can even expect to be have somthing happen whether it be somthing walking up on you or your vision shaking when red puss oozes out of the walls. The pluses is this game a numerous so I'll name a few of my favorites. This game will scare the hell out of you, games like F.E.A.R and the mainstream type horror games have nothing on this, be ready to get tested on your own sanity. I would give graphics in this game a 7/10, there not the top of the line but there not to shabby either. This is without a doubt my favorite horror game of all time to date. I can't wait for what Frictional games has up there sleeve for the next game. Expand
  35. Dec 11, 2010
    One of the best horror games to date, very chilling and intense at some moments, I bet you wouldn't last the entire game without jumping off your chair, just once!
    Fantastic, developers deserve the money!
  36. Apr 26, 2011
    this is definitely one of my favorite games from the beginning of 2011. Its a freaky game, so play it with your lights off and alone. It has pretty fun puzzle gameplay. its easy but that actually works to its advantage because it allows the story to progress with good pacing. the easiness is also good for novice adventure gamers. Thats all you really have to know, scary stuff happensthis is definitely one of my favorite games from the beginning of 2011. Its a freaky game, so play it with your lights off and alone. It has pretty fun puzzle gameplay. its easy but that actually works to its advantage because it allows the story to progress with good pacing. the easiness is also good for novice adventure gamers. Thats all you really have to know, scary stuff happens and you will probably cry while enjoying/fearing a game thats like no other game. Expand
  37. Sep 25, 2011
    Warning: Minor Spoilers Ahead

Warning: Minor Spoilers Ahead

Amnesia is a perfect submersion into a world of terror. It successfully does what few others "horror" games have: It uses all atmospheric properties to intimidate the player. One: It uses effective lighting and visual cues. Lighting can be an issue, as if it's all too dark, the eyes can be strained, but if it's too easy to always view one's surroundings, the player will become complacent and feel that they are not being challenged. The scarcely distributed tinderboxes create small illuminations, but never close all darkness, so corners are left unseen, and doorways unknown. The use of sanity (and how it changes when one looses more of it), is very effective, as the protagonist of the game "sees" movement out of intimate objects. Two: Sound. Perhaps the most important aspect of a horror game. Sounds are constantly littering your ears. Even in better-lit areas, one can hear doors opening, the screaming of tortured souls, the steps of someone walking above you, as if following you. All of these aspects, and music that suits all moments (e.g., an increase in atonality when being followed, or hearing sounds that don't exist when your lantern is out), work to engage the player in feeling that the moment is real, and that at any time, they are still being watched, followed, and chased by someone or something.

Three: Enveloping storyline. Don't mind me if I make some allusions to another alleged "horror" title, but the protagonist spouting off commentary at random intervals, as well as ineffective use of mystery can be a real bore. The plot for Amnesia gives you tiny bits and pieces, keeping the player interested in what happens next, as well as wondering what the hell is really going on. It essentially gives you enough to keep you going but not usually enough to figure things out, which is exactly what you want: Fear of what will happen but curiosity not satiated, which urges the player to continue. Overall, if Alan Wake scared you, you can't handle Amnesia. But I assure you it's a title that knows how to elicit fear, so if you want a true thrill on an expertly crafted horror game, go for it.
  38. Feb 12, 2011
    One of the most draining, terrifying, screamy-fit-inducing games ever made. Why you would want to play it is beyond me, but that doesn't make it any less of an absolute work of genius.
  39. Apr 13, 2011
    The atmosphere is so intense, this game will suck you in from beginning to end, not to mention give you nightmares. The graphics are quite nice, but can still run on any computer (almost), but graphics aside, this game is TRUE survival horror! Penumbra fans, must buy this game! Survival horror game fans HAVE to buy this game! You'll be glad you did : P
  40. Feb 2, 2011
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.

Turn off the lights in your house and play this game. It is the closest any modern game will ever get to a similar feeling. Unique in its ideas and excellence this game is put simply astonishing.
  41. Jun 14, 2011
    Wow, my friend owns this game and we only play it at night to add to the already creepy atmosphere this game delivers so well. I don't even play the game, I just watch, and I must say it plays a lot like a good old fashioned scary movie. The only reason I don't want to play is I know I would get the crap scared out of me if I sat closer to the screen; being a bit farther back I take myselfWow, my friend owns this game and we only play it at night to add to the already creepy atmosphere this game delivers so well. I don't even play the game, I just watch, and I must say it plays a lot like a good old fashioned scary movie. The only reason I don't want to play is I know I would get the crap scared out of me if I sat closer to the screen; being a bit farther back I take myself a bit out of the first person aspect. Man it eats at your imagination! Expand
  42. Feb 11, 2011
    I don't know if i'm qualified to review this game yet: I didn't finish the game. But I plan finish it real soon. I only managed to make about 30 minutes in before chickening out. This game is on a WHOLE NOTHA LEVEL. Quote me on that. If any game is going to beat this in horror, it need to be where the main character only has a box of matches in a graveyard while it's raining.
  43. Feb 19, 2011
    The true Survival Horror, even if it lacks at the technical department its a true masterpiece, it achieves what no game has ever achieved so perfectly, Scaring people, which should be the primary goal of a survival horrors, lastly survival horrors such as Dead Space have focused on the action part and have failed in the scare part as the primary trick they have to scare people areThe true Survival Horror, even if it lacks at the technical department its a true masterpiece, it achieves what no game has ever achieved so perfectly, Scaring people, which should be the primary goal of a survival horrors, lastly survival horrors such as Dead Space have focused on the action part and have failed in the scare part as the primary trick they have to scare people are Necromorphs just falling of the ceiling , on Amnesia the whole atmosphere is scary, as your light sources are very limited and you have no weapons aside from the darkness which is a double-edged sword as it can act as cover but will drain your sanity. Expand
  44. Mar 5, 2011
    This game is simply wonderful and beats an other horror game I've played out of the water. This game uses seclusion, sound, and atmosphere to scare the living crap out of you. You run around and solve puzzles that work your logical sense so you can progress through-out the dark, haunting, castle rooms and halls. If you enjoy playing games with your surround sound blasted to max and play atThis game is simply wonderful and beats an other horror game I've played out of the water. This game uses seclusion, sound, and atmosphere to scare the living crap out of you. You run around and solve puzzles that work your logical sense so you can progress through-out the dark, haunting, castle rooms and halls. If you enjoy playing games with your surround sound blasted to max and play at night with your lights off, this game is just for you. just be sure to have a few news-papers underneath you if you don't want to wet your chair. Expand
  45. Feb 28, 2011
    Don't know how to state this: This is a REAL horror game.
    You see; horror games are nowdays mostly seen as a game with bloody monsters and you need to shoot them. A real horror game is mostly imagination, and you should always be on edge.

Amnesia is the perfect horror game; no defence, and i had the feeling i was REALLY going insane.
    A must-have.
  46. Mar 10, 2011
    This game made me visit the developers blog page for news on future updates

It scared the bejesus out of me, but thats exactly what I wanted

Some say that it has no replay value, but I played it twice and some parts still gets me even though I know whats going to happen

In terms of uniqueness, No other game is as atmospheric, immersive, and terrifying as this

Would recommend to everyone
  47. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is absolutely horrifying and beautiful. I honestly do not know why I bought this game because I am not a fan of horror games at all. After finally collecting my nerves I played the game and was absolutely traumatized, but I mean that in the best way possible. Between the immersion, horror, story, and puzzles, I was enthralled and on edge yet always wanting and ready for more.This game is absolutely horrifying and beautiful. I honestly do not know why I bought this game because I am not a fan of horror games at all. After finally collecting my nerves I played the game and was absolutely traumatized, but I mean that in the best way possible. Between the immersion, horror, story, and puzzles, I was enthralled and on edge yet always wanting and ready for more.

Definitely one of the best games I have ever played.
  48. Mar 22, 2011
    That was the single most terrifying piece of entertainment I have ever laid hands upon. I do not usually get touched by horror movies and alike but in this game I quite simply had to walk away on numerous occasions. The evil lurking in the water and the deep cries from the abandoned prison cellars had me almost literally begging to god for mercy. Scary as it may be, I extremely recommendThat was the single most terrifying piece of entertainment I have ever laid hands upon. I do not usually get touched by horror movies and alike but in this game I quite simply had to walk away on numerous occasions. The evil lurking in the water and the deep cries from the abandoned prison cellars had me almost literally begging to god for mercy. Scary as it may be, I extremely recommend playing this in the dark, alone, the way it is meant to be played; petrified, stunned, yet at the same time panicking for the escape as the last drop of lamb-oil burns up and you are left in the dark with insects crawling all over your screen and only the bare wall to guide you further ahead. All in all a thrilling experience without any of the bugs you could expect from an indie production like this. One of the games I "enjoyed" the most and definitely worth the 14 dollar pricetag. Expand
  49. Apr 22, 2011
    As I was a Penumbra player who followed and pre-ordered the game months and months before it was out .I loved this game, and was worth all the waiting in the world for it to come out.

The true and ONLY Survival Horror.

MUST: Play at night, with headphones on, and lights off. You're doing yourself a great disservice if you don't.
  50. Mar 22, 2011
    I've been a fan of horror movies and books for a while, but never before had I played a horror game in my life until Amnesia. Starting it unsure, I decided to watch a live play before trying it out to prepare myself. Little did that matter, of course, because now I've played the game seven times and I still **** my pants at least once every ten minutes. Through the mazes of hallways andI've been a fan of horror movies and books for a while, but never before had I played a horror game in my life until Amnesia. Starting it unsure, I decided to watch a live play before trying it out to prepare myself. Little did that matter, of course, because now I've played the game seven times and I still **** my pants at least once every ten minutes. Through the mazes of hallways and corridors you must dive between each little oasis of light to keep yourself sane. You don't even need to encounter the monsters to have a heart attack; just the gurgle or groan of a nearby creature sends me absolutely bonkers and I tend to squeak in fear. The amazing graphics, the use of physics, the sound effects, and the format all together make this game an terrifyingly real experience. I have only three notes of advice for you: find more oil, don't venture out into the open, and for God sakes, STAY OUT OF THE WATER. Expand
  51. Apr 6, 2011
    People think Dead Space and Dead Space 2 being scary needs to play this game, seriously. After playing Amnesia, any other horror game that I've played recently is a walk through the park. Frictional Games tells you that the game itself is not meant to be played to win, and should be played in the dark with headphones / surround sound. Do it at least once. The atmosphere fits, the game doesPeople think Dead Space and Dead Space 2 being scary needs to play this game, seriously. After playing Amnesia, any other horror game that I've played recently is a walk through the park. Frictional Games tells you that the game itself is not meant to be played to win, and should be played in the dark with headphones / surround sound. Do it at least once. The atmosphere fits, the game does what its supposed to do, scare the **** out of you. Dead Space and Dead Space 2, supposedly scary games are disappointing in the fact that its all obvious, jump scares. There is no true comparison as this game out trumps them in the horror, which if you sell a game as horror, it better be. There's only one room that has that safe room feel and ambiance except for a creepy fixture that only a crazy person would like. The physic system is really really nice, and this is coming from a team of 5 people, note that, 5, versus a big company of over hundreds with tons more funding and still making a better game than them. The graphics are decent, but considering it being an indie game, its really good for their effort. This game play however doesn't suit most people as a lot of people like "wheres my freaking gun" or something. Fans of horror should really buy the game, its $20, or $10 if its on sale. Expand
  52. Feb 11, 2012
    After years of action-horror games, we finally get a proper survival horror game! This is the perfect horror game by me: no weapons, monsters to avoid, creepy scenery, constant darkness, horrific sound. Everything is perfectly set in order to scare the HELL outta you, and horror fans will enjoy....but what's wrong instead? To be honest, one of the fewest issues I had in this game were theAfter years of action-horror games, we finally get a proper survival horror game! This is the perfect horror game by me: no weapons, monsters to avoid, creepy scenery, constant darkness, horrific sound. Everything is perfectly set in order to scare the HELL outta you, and horror fans will enjoy....but what's wrong instead? To be honest, one of the fewest issues I had in this game were the mental state, mainly because you can't hide in the darkness for too long or you'll go crazy: in a game where you must hide, hiding is actually hurting you? Annoying, but I guess it's one way to scare you more, but still I found it bothersome. And of course, the light sources: you'll constantly have to carefully use your light sources, or you'll have a hard time in the game later: very bothersome. Maybe one issue is also when you die, the game loses a bit of its touch: yes it's scary, but suddenly you don't feel that much fear anymore: not a proper flaw, more like an annoying thing. Honestly that's mostly it: the biggest flaws could be for those who actually don't like this kind of horror games, meaning that this game is based on slow moments, on being carefull, on actually try to mentally focused and go on; those who just love to defend themselves somehow or who actualy can't stand slow paced games, this game is probably not for you. For the rest, this is how a REAL horror game should be made, and I CAN'T wait for another game like this. Expand
  53. Apr 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Move over Penumbra; Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the new king of scary now. Take everything you've seen in scary movies and games, like mutated monsters, mysterious noises, and an unseen hunter stalking you at every turn; now imagine facing them all with absolutely no way to defend yourself. That's right. You have NOTHING but your "legs" and your wits to survive.

Very well done, fictional games. You'll be getting my therapy bill soon.
  54. Apr 9, 2011
    From a purely "Video games are art" -perspective this is probably the best thing I've ever seen. I'm not much into horror games since there's usually very little horror in them, however this is truly one of the best gaming experiences that I've ever had. The immersion is like nothing I've encountered before; if played properly late at night with no lights and headphones it will draw you inFrom a purely "Video games are art" -perspective this is probably the best thing I've ever seen. I'm not much into horror games since there's usually very little horror in them, however this is truly one of the best gaming experiences that I've ever had. The immersion is like nothing I've encountered before; if played properly late at night with no lights and headphones it will draw you in and you may never fully recover.

This is a game for anyone how wants to try something new in gaming. It stands out as a shining beacon of creativity in a swamp of bland generic games. In this game the only way to defend your self is to run and hide, and it works better then I ever thought possible. Instead of focusing on fun game-play it focuses on just being an experience, which may sound kind of boring but I assure you that this game is anything but boring. And the experience weaves beautifully together with itself; you'll be in a mix of mildly non-threatening environments simply exploring, feeling a little bit uncanny that somethings a bit off, hiding from monsters that you're not quite sure where they are and heart pounding hectic chases. This game knows that the best way to keep you at the edge of your seat is to vary the experience. It's not a consistent climb leading up to a climax, it tries to keep everything being unpredictable, it fails at some points to be honest but never the less it succeeds very well at strongly evoking whatever emotion it's going for, which isn't always fear. And that's what I think makes the developers such great artists.

Naturally the game isn't flawless, nothing is. The AI of the monsters is probably the thing that stands out the most, however considering that this was made by an indie developing studio consisting of five guys I'm willing to let that one slide, especially since that particular flaw feels overshadowed by everything about it that exceeded my expectations about it by a mile, such as sound, ambiance, voice acting, varying level aesthetics and even they're in-house physics engine (not that I tried to break it). However, one thing that kept rubbing me the wrong way was some of the puzzles. Prior to going in to this game I thought that there was two kinds of puzzles, the easy ones that almost feels patronizing at times, and hard ones that can be frustrating to figure out but generally leaves you with a real since of accomplishment and intelligence when you do figure out how to solve it. In this game however some of the puzzles took a really long time to figure out and when I finely did figure it out I mainly felt "That's it?!". It's almost reminiscent to the old point and clicks where the designer exercises his own sense of logic that makes since to no one but himself. It's not that bad here, the puzzles certainly do have logic in them, but they often feel round about and not the most obvious solution.
  55. Apr 25, 2011
    Puts me so on edge I still haven't managed to finish it. I guess that counts as success?
  56. Jan 23, 2012
    With over 200.000 units sold up to date, Amnesia: The Dark Descent is one of the indie top sellers of 2010.

This game made me feel terrified like no other, especially for the atmosphere and the fear to the unknown that i had to stop playing it for a while, just like Penumbra. The feeling that you are totally helpless an unarmed, make this for an intense survival experience. If you love

If you love survival horror games + psychological terror like Penumbra, well this game is for you, my friend.
    If there is something i'm sure, Frictional Games knows how to scare the s*** out of us.
    Get this game, it's well worth every cent!!!
  57. Apr 23, 2011
    An experience created only by a few people, but that proves developers don't need a huge team to make an unbelievably horrifying game. Not only is this game incredible, but it takes a different approach to the now existing horror genre and completely goes the other way. It's a fresh experience, with well thought out sequences and horrific creatures. In the end, it creates an extremelyAn experience created only by a few people, but that proves developers don't need a huge team to make an unbelievably horrifying game. Not only is this game incredible, but it takes a different approach to the now existing horror genre and completely goes the other way. It's a fresh experience, with well thought out sequences and horrific creatures. In the end, it creates an extremely tense and insane design. It's so well done, that it is one of the scariest games ever made. It doesn't achieve this by giving fake scares, it scares you psychologically, until you can't play anymore. Expand
  58. Apr 19, 2011
    Scariest game that I have played in a long time. This one will have grown men shaking. Best played late at night in a pitch black room alone. Headphones are a must.
  59. Apr 23, 2011
    Amnesia is a great game. If you are looking for something that is different than what your used to, you should defiantly check this out, especially for $20 (sometimes $10 on steam). It is terrifying as well, I still haven't even beaten it.
  60. Apr 24, 2011
    Edgar Allan Poe....THE GAME. I haven't been this creeped out since I first heard Poe's stories recited around a campfire as a kid. Amnesia definitely gives you a feeling of tension and helplessness the whole time you are playing it, and you are constantly checking your back. The macabre atmosphere is done perfectly, and the game setting is a breath of fresh air.

I remember one of the

I remember one of the levels running for my life and held my breath the whole way before escaping to safety.

Can't wait for this shop's next game, and what a pleasant surprise it was to discover this sleeper. Highly recommended for anyone that likes to be scared, and I would put the single player experience on the same level as Half Life 2 or Dead Space 2, it was that good.
  61. Apr 24, 2011
    The gaming world houses a lot of "horror" games that involve monsters but don't really manage to inspire an emotional response of fear... This game knows how to keep you scared. Creepiest freaking horror game I have ever played. You will not find a creepier game out there, and that is why I give it a 10. Not the best game ever, but it certainly is the top of it's genre.
  62. Apr 26, 2011
    I must say I'm extremely relieved that the mainstream horror genre is not filled with crap such like Dead Space, not saying the game is bad but rather it should fall under a thriller genre rather than horror, because after all..all it does is startle you like when someone says "BOO". I was a huge fan of the Penumbra series and I must applaud again to Frictional Games because they justI must say I'm extremely relieved that the mainstream horror genre is not filled with crap such like Dead Space, not saying the game is bad but rather it should fall under a thriller genre rather than horror, because after all..all it does is startle you like when someone says "BOO". I was a huge fan of the Penumbra series and I must applaud again to Frictional Games because they just topped their entire series, the great atmosphere, awesome music and scare you just at the right moment, it's obvious the developers actually played it before releasing, the only part I didn't like about it is it's setting, I loved the abandoned mine setting but again, that's just personal preference.

The same 3 rules of playing penumbra can be applied here

Wear headphones - Ok and done
    Make sure you're in a comfortable position - Kinky. done.
    Turn off the lights and close the curtains - F*** NO!!!

No more need be said
  63. Nov 8, 2011
    Frictional Games has done it again! This game looks AMAZING and light, one of the most integral parts of the game, is very realistic and behaves very naturally. Are you looking for a game that doesn't rely on jump scares, but atmospheric unease? Then look no further, this is the game for you. I will admit there are some jump scares in this game, however the pacing justifies them. TheFrictional Games has done it again! This game looks AMAZING and light, one of the most integral parts of the game, is very realistic and behaves very naturally. Are you looking for a game that doesn't rely on jump scares, but atmospheric unease? Then look no further, this is the game for you. I will admit there are some jump scares in this game, however the pacing justifies them. The setting is genuinely creepy, and it leaves you feeling alone, isolated, and vulnerable. The enemy encounters create a real sense of dread and urgency when you realize you can't fight back. Some of my fondest memories of this game are fleeing from an enemy shouting profanity as I panic. If you're tired of action games that pretend to be horror games, games that rely too heavily on jump scares, or love a creepy atmosphere that builds real tension and horror, this is the game for you. Expand
  64. Aug 29, 2011
    So scary I refused to play it without someone on skype with me. It gave me nightmares too. Sure, the graphics aren't perfect, but the atmosphere makes you completely ignore all that and just fous on staying alive. The way the screen distorts and half zooms in towards zombies, accompanied by suitably terrifying sound effects is particularly effective. It's incredible that an indie studioSo scary I refused to play it without someone on skype with me. It gave me nightmares too. Sure, the graphics aren't perfect, but the atmosphere makes you completely ignore all that and just fous on staying alive. The way the screen distorts and half zooms in towards zombies, accompanied by suitably terrifying sound effects is particularly effective. It's incredible that an indie studio can pull this off. Expand
  65. May 30, 2011
    I cannot say I've played this game, but I will say it is definitely worth the buy. I've been watching some gameplay videos, and without a doubt it looks like a good game to play. This quite obviously isn't one of those standard horror genre games where your character can destroy everything in their way, who's only horror element is the graphics, music, and a few jump scares. No, this isI cannot say I've played this game, but I will say it is definitely worth the buy. I've been watching some gameplay videos, and without a doubt it looks like a good game to play. This quite obviously isn't one of those standard horror genre games where your character can destroy everything in their way, who's only horror element is the graphics, music, and a few jump scares. No, this is one of those games you want to play at around midnight without any lights on. What this game does that I haven't seen all too often in a horror game is atmosphere. You find yourself entering the world of Daniel and all the horrors he has to face, and that is quite honestly what makes this game all the more worth playing.

If you're thinking of buying this game, don't look up videos for it, it ruins the atmosphere and fun I was talking about. All the jump scares will be ruined, spoiler's will be abound, and it will ruin your experience of the game. If you think it looks good, buy it. I, like many others can tell you, will remind you it is worth the money. Pay no mind to the Dead Space player down there, there is little reason to hate this game (unless you expected a SURVIVAL horror game, in which case I would probably recommend Dead Space 2)
  66. Jun 14, 2011
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is, in almost every sense of the word, scary. Scary as in the obvious, "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT THING AND WHY IS IT CHASING ME?!". The horror of Amnesia is something I have never quite seen in other games. Instead of little startles here and there to momentarily freak out the player (games such as Dead Space 1 & 2 express this quality in bundles), Amnesia goes forAmnesia: The Dark Descent is, in almost every sense of the word, scary. Scary as in the obvious, "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT THING AND WHY IS IT CHASING ME?!". The horror of Amnesia is something I have never quite seen in other games. Instead of little startles here and there to momentarily freak out the player (games such as Dead Space 1 & 2 express this quality in bundles), Amnesia goes for the masterpiece symphony kind of scary, where the horror is carefully crafted with the players emotions and feelings in constant mind. There is no set place that a monster will be in at a time, rather it patrols the area that you are or could be in. This not only triggers the scared, yet curious emotions in the players brain, it also adds a great deal of immersion into the atmosphere. You see a room you haven't explored yet, one half of your brain is telling you to go in and explore, "You might find something of value in there and progress through the game, and after all that's what it is a GAME". But the other side of your brain is pleading with you, "Don't go in there! There's obviously going to be a monster in there that wants to eat yo-WHAT WAS THAT?!? I heard a moaning noise!!! I am NOT going in there!". In the end curiosity gets the better of you and you decide to explore. And you either find a clue or item to help you progress, or you find a monster that wants to use your face skin as a napkin after enjoying a nice, tasty dinner of your intestines, in which case you want to hide somewhere and hope that the monster passes by without noticing you. In some cases you'll find both a monster and an item. Another use of the word "scary" is used as in such phrases "this game has a different all together play style of any other game I've ever played...it's...it's scary". Amnesia isn't your average first person shooter, as in it takes out the word "shooter" as there are absolutely NO weapons at your disposal (which in turn, makes the game a LOT scarier), and replaces it with "fright fest". It also adds an item that I really enjoy, puzzles! There are a plethora of puzzles scattered throughout Amnesia. They range from collecting bits of a machine and putting them together, to pressing buttons or pulling levers in a certain order. These puzzles create a nice island that is your piss and excrement from the insane scariness everywhere else in the game. Finally, scary can be used such as in the phrase "this game is scary good!". Which this game most certainly is. You can't find a scarier monster film, book, game, or story that tops the Fright-skyscraper that is Amnesia: The Dark Descent! This game is perfect for a group of friends looking for some fun entertainment, or a single person that's just looking for a good time. For $20, and hours upon hours of mind bending, scary fun, you can't go wrong! Expand
  67. Jun 15, 2011
    Very unique. Yes you can't attack enemies, I understand that, but that's the point. They are coming to kill you, and all you can do is run, escape, get away, that's why the game is so scary. Total 10 from me, game is fun, interesting, and scary as hell.
  68. Jun 26, 2011
    I actually crapped myself while playing this alone, in the dark, in the middle of the night, with my headphones on, after smoking marijuana. Advise to anyone intending to play this game under these circumstances: do NOT smoke any marijuana.
  69. Jul 4, 2011
    The best horror game you can find to a computer, The End.
  70. Oct 20, 2011
    I had trouble playing this game for more than 30mins at a time, it makes me nervous, come out in a sweat and then think about it all night long. I kept going back for more. The game does what some of the best horror movies do, it plays on your imagination and uses what isn't there to scare you. The atmosphere, sounds and puzzels are all a treat and so was being thrown through a door by aI had trouble playing this game for more than 30mins at a time, it makes me nervous, come out in a sweat and then think about it all night long. I kept going back for more. The game does what some of the best horror movies do, it plays on your imagination and uses what isn't there to scare you. The atmosphere, sounds and puzzels are all a treat and so was being thrown through a door by a monster whilst i haphazardly ran away from it.....i'm close to giving this a 10...10 would mean its perfect, its not perfect its just very very very very good and a fantastic price now. Expand
  71. Jul 19, 2011
    This game is from my experiences the best survival horror game developed in years. This game typically plays into people's fears. The fear of being alone in the dark. The fear of being helpless. That moment when you think you hear voices but they're all in your head. This game brings those fears forth into a realistic, blood-thickening, adrenaline surging game. For $15 dollars, it's tenThis game is from my experiences the best survival horror game developed in years. This game typically plays into people's fears. The fear of being alone in the dark. The fear of being helpless. That moment when you think you hear voices but they're all in your head. This game brings those fears forth into a realistic, blood-thickening, adrenaline surging game. For $15 dollars, it's ten times... no, one hundred times worth it. Expand
  72. Nov 9, 2011
    Absolutely, one of the best games I've played in 2011. I love games that do things differently and Amnesia is one of the most unique and engrossing experiences I've come across, especially in the horror genre. After a run through of this game, it's so horrific that I haven't been able to push myself to survive another round. Just seeing the icon on my desktop, I'm reminded of the intenseAbsolutely, one of the best games I've played in 2011. I love games that do things differently and Amnesia is one of the most unique and engrossing experiences I've come across, especially in the horror genre. After a run through of this game, it's so horrific that I haven't been able to push myself to survive another round. Just seeing the icon on my desktop, I'm reminded of the intense moments I had playing this game. A MUST play! Expand
  73. Aug 8, 2011
    Amnesia is brilliantly scary, Frictional games stuck to what they know best, and what they know is how to scare the living hell out of you. Thoroughly enjoyed playing, the puzzles were varied and interesting, astounding atmosphere, never a moment when you are truly calm, there's always a constant threat that you will be attacked, and the game will remind you of that. Can't get much betterAmnesia is brilliantly scary, Frictional games stuck to what they know best, and what they know is how to scare the living hell out of you. Thoroughly enjoyed playing, the puzzles were varied and interesting, astounding atmosphere, never a moment when you are truly calm, there's always a constant threat that you will be attacked, and the game will remind you of that. Can't get much better in Horror games. Expand
  74. Jun 9, 2012
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is truly a good example of what "horror" is all about. Horror should be about the creepy atmosphere and story it's being placed in. Those cringing moments of anticipating something to come after you. Worse, those terrifying moments of silence. Amnesia: The Dark Descent had all those qualities plus many more. It lacked the use of weapons to defend yourself with butAmnesia: The Dark Descent is truly a good example of what "horror" is all about. Horror should be about the creepy atmosphere and story it's being placed in. Those cringing moments of anticipating something to come after you. Worse, those terrifying moments of silence. Amnesia: The Dark Descent had all those qualities plus many more. It lacked the use of weapons to defend yourself with but the skills of hiding, running, and closing. You would have a limited juice of light source to keep you from being frightened even more. Oh, and yeah this creature does not have the ability to die at all. But one thing that made this game unique from others is that you would actually have to open and close closets, doors, and drawers by yourself. That's the main thing that makes this game so realistic. I could go on with many things to brag about this masterpiece. Amnesia: The Dark Descent is and will be one of those timeless games for years to come. This is by far one of the most terrifying and unforgettable experience since Silent Hill. This is what you call horror. Expand
  75. Oct 20, 2011
    This is the best horror game ive ever played. Didnt sleeped for weeks because of this but it was worth it. Ive passed 3 times and it still scares me and with the DLC and the Custom Stories even better. Its money well spent, recomend everyone to try it, who wont regreet it.
  76. Nov 1, 2011
    When it comes to sounds and atmosphere amnesia is right up there. The game consists of tricky puzzles and intense missions where you would have to escape from a monster. You start the game finding that you have little memories of your past and that you must follow noted that you wrote in your past to progress through the game. As the game name says your character has amnesia and all theWhen it comes to sounds and atmosphere amnesia is right up there. The game consists of tricky puzzles and intense missions where you would have to escape from a monster. You start the game finding that you have little memories of your past and that you must follow noted that you wrote in your past to progress through the game. As the game name says your character has amnesia and all the way through the game there are also diary entries from you and other people that you may have met in the past this gives the game a story to follow. The gameplay of amnesia is possibly one of the best experiences you may have the constant eerie noises of floor boards and heavy breathing or nearby monsters keeps you on your toes. When playing through the game you will that it is important to make an escape route at all times and every corner that you go around you make sure there are no monsters. This game does a great job of keeping you alert at all times and playing this game with a headset definitley adds to the effect. The fact that you only have a limited amount of in game items also makes you feel like you must check every room and corner. I would go as far as a noise in your room where you are playing your computer is enough to make you jump . You feel as if you are the character in the game. It is easily noticeable that Amnesia has done this well. Overall this a great game and a great story a would recommend this to anyone who is a horror fan or a game you want to play to wake you up on a Monday morning. Do not keep clear of this game. Get it. Expand
  77. Nov 14, 2011
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a terrifying experiece you wouldnt forget soon.............First of all i am here to confess that i was unable to complete the game(it was scary as hell)or you could say that i lacked the courage to complete it.From the first go you are straight into action with daniel awakening into the castle and ofcourse having amnesia....you cant fight the enemy there is noAmnesia: The Dark Descent is a terrifying experiece you wouldnt forget soon.............First of all i am here to confess that i was unable to complete the game(it was scary as hell)or you could say that i lacked the courage to complete it.From the first go you are straight into action with daniel awakening into the castle and ofcourse having amnesia....you cant fight the enemy there is no way you can.You need to escape them using ur wits(the most horrific and terrifying moments believe me).Stay in light or youll be seen stay in dark for two long you risk Daniel's sanity......Welcome to your undead nightmare since you are going to play one of the most scariest game of all times Expand
  78. Nov 15, 2011
    If you like to do puzzles and like to wet you pants this game is for you .
    Fantastic game just incredible i never knew being terrified would be so fun its a must buy grfxs work well its dark and terrifying
    performance seems to fun easy maxed out no problems at all
  79. Nov 17, 2011
    There is no reason to hate this game, unless you hate scary things. This game is definition of scary. The atmosphere and everything. The fact you cannot kill the monsters and you have to run for your life. But you cannot experience the game entirely unless you follow it's instructions; dark room and surround-sound headphones. There's only one thing this game is missing and it's 3D. Too badThere is no reason to hate this game, unless you hate scary things. This game is definition of scary. The atmosphere and everything. The fact you cannot kill the monsters and you have to run for your life. But you cannot experience the game entirely unless you follow it's instructions; dark room and surround-sound headphones. There's only one thing this game is missing and it's 3D. Too bad 3D doesn't work for OpenGL games. Expand
  80. Nov 26, 2011
    There are many reasons why this game COULD suck. The controls aren't always practical, some parts of the game just feel like empty space, etc etc. But ALL complaints manage to be overruled by a single thing: the Atmosphere. If there's one thing this game has done that NO Horror Movie, NO Horror Video Game, and NO horror Book has ever done, is to ACTUALLY SCARE ME. The use of environmentsThere are many reasons why this game COULD suck. The controls aren't always practical, some parts of the game just feel like empty space, etc etc. But ALL complaints manage to be overruled by a single thing: the Atmosphere. If there's one thing this game has done that NO Horror Movie, NO Horror Video Game, and NO horror Book has ever done, is to ACTUALLY SCARE ME. The use of environments and music in this game make you feel like you're back to being a 5 year old in a dark basement. Some environments keep changing minimally whenever you reenter them, but just enough to throw your brain off and make you think ''oh **** something's odd''.
    Monsters in this game are sparse. But that's actually a good thing, because this way I've been in many situations where I just snuck around like a boss for an hour, never getting caught, thought to myself ''oh hey there's probably no monster here'' and getting overconfident and run around just to find a monster around the next corner that just completely throws you off.
    But beware: This game is only interesting due to the Tension it creates inside you. If you play it during the day you won't be scared at all, and you'll just find the game boring. Playing it over Skype or with friends works fine, as long as your room is dark.
  81. Mar 8, 2012
    I hate this game... but in a good way. I hate playing it because it scares me. I've not played a game like this in ages... in-fact I don't remember ever playing a game like this. It is truly amazing. When I walk home in the dark it causes me great paranoia!

If you're afraid of the dark... I highly recommend not playing this! Scratch that... I recommend you getting over your fear, playing this, then releasing your fear didn't leave you!
  82. Feb 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Incredible. My words will probably do it no justice, but I will try.

When I first purchased this game, I found it hard to believe there was so much hype about the terror this game evokes, but almost instantly I found myself scared of every little noise. It just got scarier and scarier, but the creativity in the horror of this game lies in the fact that they never stoop down to the cheap "pop-up" scares. They build up suspense, and have a payoff of absolutely emotionally draining pixel terror. It was by far the most difficult game I've ever played, and I really appreciated the fact that there were no save reverts - everything you did was permanent, including (SPOILER) the end when I forgot to save Agrippa and didn't get the extra-good ending. I first got the **** ending, where the bad guy wins and there is no resolution to the saga of Daniel, but when I tried again I got the ending I was looking for - I killed that bastard Alexander, even though he and I were both similar in the fact that we were victims of circumstance acting as agents for a greater evil. There was so much depth in the little plot details they gave you, including the moral ambiguity. And the puzzles - the puzzles were **** hard, and it took me a total of about 12 hours to finish the game, and I only looked up the solution to a single part - the prison - which was a **** maze and I don't consider that to be part of the difficulty.

In the age of tired-out sequels and rehashing the same formula of first person shooters, this game is only contested by Skyrim in my 2011 GOTY.

But definitely the GOTCentury for the feature of dozens of uncircumcised naked men. God, if the modern day gaming industries is lacking one thing these days, it's dicks, and natural ones.
  83. Nov 27, 2011
    Without a doubt the best and most beautifully done gaming experience out there. The scares are genuine, and the horror is real. This game is, in essence, a fear simulator. You know those train simulators? This is pretty much a fear simulator, only a captivating story was built around it. I enjoyed this game more than any other game I have played. It's super cheap, it goes on sale a lot onWithout a doubt the best and most beautifully done gaming experience out there. The scares are genuine, and the horror is real. This game is, in essence, a fear simulator. You know those train simulators? This is pretty much a fear simulator, only a captivating story was built around it. I enjoyed this game more than any other game I have played. It's super cheap, it goes on sale a lot on Steam (I got it for $4), and I'd say that it's worth far more than that. This is the easiest ten I will ever give. Expand
  84. Jun 25, 2013
    I was not scared by Dead Space or Silent Hill: Homecoming. I was not even remotely scared by Resident Evil 5 or 6. Condemned: CO and Condemned 2: Bloodshot had maybe 4 or 5 creepy spots. There are not really any horror games anymore.

Well, Amnesia is a real survival horror game. It's the first game to actually make me nervous and keep me nervous since I was 9 years old. You'll fear the dark, you'll fear the little grubs that hide in shadows, and you'll fear the scratching noise behind your eyes. Most of all, you'll be scared the moment you realize that you literally don't know if something is right behind you.

As if Amnesia isn't good enough, it's moddable and allows players to create their own stories. There's a ton of fan-made content online.

This is everything a survival horror fan could want in a game...
  85. Dec 15, 2011
    Each game has its own purpose. Some are to have an exciting and skilled FPS experience, some are micromanaging games where you build up an empire, and some games succeed at these goals to certain extents. Amnesia: The Dark Decent was made to redefine terror, and immerse yourself in such a dark and horrid nightmare and it does just that with utmost perfection. The horror and paranoia i feltEach game has its own purpose. Some are to have an exciting and skilled FPS experience, some are micromanaging games where you build up an empire, and some games succeed at these goals to certain extents. Amnesia: The Dark Decent was made to redefine terror, and immerse yourself in such a dark and horrid nightmare and it does just that with utmost perfection. The horror and paranoia i felt while playing this game was just so intense, it FEELS like you are there and being in a moment of life/death in this game was such a terrifying thrill ride. Honestly, this is one of the very, very, very few games out there that truly deserves a 10/10 Expand
  86. Dec 20, 2011
    Imagine a game where you are stuck in an evil castle-type place, and not have any weapons!! Just the thought of it gives me goosebumps. I think because you genuinely fear for your mortality, it makes it all the more immersive. You can literally only place this game alone, at night, with your headphones on loud and no lights on. Otherwise, you might just get a tad confused, lost or boredImagine a game where you are stuck in an evil castle-type place, and not have any weapons!! Just the thought of it gives me goosebumps. I think because you genuinely fear for your mortality, it makes it all the more immersive. You can literally only place this game alone, at night, with your headphones on loud and no lights on. Otherwise, you might just get a tad confused, lost or bored ... I couldn't complete the game without having to check various online sources for solutions to a few puzzles, so that's not good. But because it isn't an expensive game, and it looks and feels so damn scary, I have to give this game an 8. Hope the people that made this game get out there and do another one, but bigger and bolder! Expand
  87. Dec 23, 2011
    First of all, I want to say I'm an extreme horror buff. Between movies and games, I can't get enough. This game was definitely one of the scariest things I've ever had the chance to witness in my entire life and I loved it. Now that probably makes me a little bias for this game but I don't really care at this point. The biggest thing this game has going for it is the atmosphere. FranklyFirst of all, I want to say I'm an extreme horror buff. Between movies and games, I can't get enough. This game was definitely one of the scariest things I've ever had the chance to witness in my entire life and I loved it. Now that probably makes me a little bias for this game but I don't really care at this point. The biggest thing this game has going for it is the atmosphere. Frankly I've yet to see anything come close to the kind of atmosphere this generates throughout most of the game (the beginning is a bit boring but once you get past that it gets really good). You will be freaked out immensely by playing this game and that's the best part. Yea there are some things that this game doesn't do well, including a lack of conveyance on where you need to go at times and what you need to do, but it's easily something you can get over if you are REALLY into scary things. And take it from someone who's seen tons of scary movies and games over the years: this will freak you and anyone else you know out so much you might not sleep for days afterward. Buy it and you won't regret it (or you will after you play it for awhile....but that's the best part :)) Expand
  88. Nov 2, 2013
    Best horror game I've ever played. The atmosphere, the suspense, the feeling of being absolutely helpless, the balancing between light and dark and the storytelling worked wonders for me.
  89. Jan 3, 2012
    After I had finished Amnesia: The Dark Descent, I felt I could wear my victory as a badge of honor and experience against any and all horrors the video games industry could throw at me. For nothing could possibly compare to the masterpiece created by Norden and Frictional Games.

These folks have fear down to a science. Suspense that makes you remind yourself (hopelessly) that it's just a game, scenery that's to die for, music expertly integrated into your nervous system, sounds that quickly match your heart rate, a story I can't believe didn't come out of a novel, and seamless game play between fleeing horrors your friends won't understand and Valve-worthy physics puzzles.

The only hurtle for me was that this game did not immunize me to horror, but had by all means destroyed me. Thank you Frictional Games. Indie delivers again.

It's a shame Amnesia was not made by Russians, because you don't beat this game. It beats you.
  90. Feb 12, 2012
    Its been a long time since I've played a true survival horror game. This is not only an immersing and incredibly scary game, its a fun and addicting game to play. I found myself pausing the game and sitting there waiting for my heart beat to slowdown! The physics in the game is great you can interact with almost everything making you feel like your part of the world. There is a lot ofIts been a long time since I've played a true survival horror game. This is not only an immersing and incredibly scary game, its a fun and addicting game to play. I found myself pausing the game and sitting there waiting for my heart beat to slowdown! The physics in the game is great you can interact with almost everything making you feel like your part of the world. There is a lot of thinking like when to use your lantern, when to use a tenderbox on a candle or torch. The story and editor are also awesome, with custom stories and mods this is an amazing game that may never end! Expand
  91. Jun 4, 2012
    A truly remarkable puzzle game, Amnesia is not for the faint of heart. The game takes advantage of ambient creaks, moans, and other creepy sounds to keep you constantly on edge, making the game super immersive. Once I heard a noise and felt something tap my shoulder. Immediately I started hyperventilating and holding down shift while sprinting, teeth gritted, down the hallway, until IA truly remarkable puzzle game, Amnesia is not for the faint of heart. The game takes advantage of ambient creaks, moans, and other creepy sounds to keep you constantly on edge, making the game super immersive. Once I heard a noise and felt something tap my shoulder. Immediately I started hyperventilating and holding down shift while sprinting, teeth gritted, down the hallway, until I realized that the enemy was actually my brother, who had snuck up behind me and tapped my shoulder (The little troll) There were a couple "Jump out and shout boo" monsters, but there was a lot of subtle creepiness that kept you at the edge of your seat. (And when nothing happens, you get closer to the edge of your seat. Then the monster pops out and you fall off your seat, promise you will never play this horrible, wicked game again, respawn, and keep going.) One point where I was genuinely terrified didn't even have any monsters. At a few points in the game you will have a big room leading to lots of separate rooms, each with their own set of minipuzzles, to solve. At one point I arrived at one such room, and quiet, relaxing music played. The room was well lit, carved with some nice beautiful architecture, paintings, fancy windows, it was like a safe haven. And then I solved the puzzles. When I returned to my safe haven, strange organic pulsating pinkish blobs of flesh appeared. The lights went out. The paintings changed. The fountain no longer looked like a lady bathing, but like a lady being drowned and eaten alive by a little impy thing. I felt terrified. I felt violated. I felt sick. My safe haven was destroyed, my sense of security and trust breached. I wanted to STOP PLAYING THIS GAME. It was exhilarating and I loved it. The puzzles themselves are fun, not too easy, not too hard, and not too frustrating. Some of them are Fix-the-Machine-puzzles, some of them are Throw-a-human-limb-across-the-room-so-that-you-can-make-a break-for-the-door-and-try-to-escape-while-an-invisible-demon-chases-you puzzles, but they are all interesting. I only have a little bit of critisism and that is the sanity. I think my character is afraid of the dark, and rightly so, because based on the sound effects, when it is really dark a ghost sneaks up on me and crinkles Jolly Rancher wrappers in my ear. I just don't get that. Penumbra wasn't my favorite game, but at least I could still solve puzzles in the dark. I guess that is the reasoning behind it though. Penumbra just wasn't scary because I could turn up my brightness and kill the enemies. In Amnesia the enemies are unkillable and there is an actual incentive to not just play in the dark with brightness up super high. All of Amnesia's neat features turned it into what I can safely and easily call the scariest game I have ever played. All in all, Amnesia. Great game. Scary. You buy. You buy now. Unless baby. If baby do not buy. Expand
  92. Jan 18, 2012
    Not a fan of puzzle game usually, I really got into it, especially thanks to the survival-horror side of the game. If you playing it like it's meant to be (alone, in the dark, headphone), it is a scariest game ever. The audio is amazing, graphics are decent enough for a full immersion. I liked the fact that you are scared at all time during the game, you are really under pressure, where inNot a fan of puzzle game usually, I really got into it, especially thanks to the survival-horror side of the game. If you playing it like it's meant to be (alone, in the dark, headphone), it is a scariest game ever. The audio is amazing, graphics are decent enough for a full immersion. I liked the fact that you are scared at all time during the game, you are really under pressure, where in games like dead space, it's just punctual fear which is going to make you jump out of your chair (which I think is the easy solution in scary entertainment). A must have if you like horror games. Expand
  93. May 7, 2012
    New, refreshing, and scream-inducing. Buy this game the day before Halloween in your college dorm, grab many snacks, and prepare to keep everyone else in your building awake at night. I'm not going to explain the game since that would take away from it. Just try it. Trust me. Best played with friends in the dark at night.
  94. Feb 29, 2012
    Wait until nightfall. Sit down at your computer, put your headphones on, turn on Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and get ready to poop your pants. I have never played a game scarier than this. Penumbra: Black Plague was terrifying, but Amnesia: The Dark Descent is deliciously repulsive, horrifying, and mystifying. I highly recommend this game to anyone who wants to stay awake until dawn.
  95. Aug 1, 2012
    One of the best true horror games of all time. This is game is not for the faint of heart, you will be scared **** A must buy for every horror fan.
  96. Apr 8, 2012
    This is one of the best games Ive seen, ever. This is undoubtedly the scariest game i think ever created. Me and my friends often find people to play this game, and we all gather round to watch them crap themselves with fear.
  97. May 3, 2012
    This game is the most intense game I have ever played! the atmosphere is terrifying. Also the game shows originality and very unique, most horror video games gives you an option to fight back and defend yourself. And Amnesia is a different type of game play that actually requires stealth and hiding. A nice storytelling makes a good game. -the-epikninja
  98. Feb 7, 2013
    The only game out there that will literally make u shiver in fear. Close the door, turn off the lights, get your headphones, and prepare to pee your pants.
  99. May 11, 2012
    This is my all time favorite game. I am always on the lookout for games that can elicit a real emotion. This game does just that. Its atmosphere and immersion set you up for incredible scares. It turned out to be the game that has inspired the most emotion of any in me.

That's not to say that it's perfect. Its graphics clearly show that it is an indie game. Beyond that the ending is disappointing and there are sci-fi elements that detract from the story. Regardless it's one of the greatest games in terms of emotion and immersion.
  100. Jul 12, 2012
    Amazing game! Yeah some people may say, it's all about the sounds and the visual, but think about a horror movie, what makes it scary? The sounds and the visual effects, and this is what amnesia offers, a fantastic horror atmosphere! It is surely a great game, made by a thriller writer! In my opinion other games from diff. genres should take a note of this game's atmosphere! After all, inAmazing game! Yeah some people may say, it's all about the sounds and the visual, but think about a horror movie, what makes it scary? The sounds and the visual effects, and this is what amnesia offers, a fantastic horror atmosphere! It is surely a great game, made by a thriller writer! In my opinion other games from diff. genres should take a note of this game's atmosphere! After all, in my opinion, one of the most important things for a game is to have a great atmosphere and story. To suck you in the virtual world and to engender emotions! To enjoy it, put HEADPHONES and play it ALONE with all lights OFF =] Expand

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the scariest game in years. You'll get an extremely creepy vibe from the castle and all of the mysterious things that are happening there. The voice overs and the ending of the game aren't great, but this shouldn't bother anyone seeing how you'll be extremely scared when you play this on your own in a dark room.
  2. Jan 31, 2011
    Amnesia offers an experience so rich that we're willing to forgive its weak ending, imperfections of the engine, and low-bugdet production values.
  3. Jan 29, 2011
    At times it's a struggle to play purely because of how scary it can be, and it's not often you can say that about a video game. Just remember: lights off, headphones on, and try not to go insane.