Anachronox PC

8.3

1. Dec 4, 2011
    Wow, this game is incredible! I've just played it recently, ten years after it's original release date, and it is one of the best games I've ever played. If you love story driven, epic in scope, RPG's with a variety of fascinating environments to explore, you'll love this game. And the humor, it's truly laugh out loud-able in more than a few occasions. Very well written and creative.
  2. May 3, 2013
    A forgotten (by masses) masterpiece

PRO: - wide variety of interesting, breathing worlds; - awesome camerawork; - great dialogues full of humour; - memorizable characters and epic plot; - tons of details; - nice music and excellent voice cast; CONTRA: - fights are pretty boring until you get MythTechs - different bugs & glitches (c) - Quake2 Engine with it's limitations
    A forgotten (by masses) masterpiece

PRO:
    - wide variety of interesting, breathing worlds;
    - awesome camerawork;
    - great dialogues full of humour;
    - memorizable characters and epic plot;
    - tons of details;
    - nice music and excellent voice cast;

CONTRA:

- fights are pretty boring until you get MythTechs
    - different bugs & glitches (c)
    - Quake2 Engine with it's limitations

P.S.
    No one is making games like this nowodays, sadly.
  3. TylerE
    Jan 16, 2010
    I haven't been able to find a single game that has been nearly as enthralling and inspiring as Anachronox since I picked it up back in 2001. Poor and buggy gameplay is made up easily by the incredible story, amazing environments, awesome characters, rofl-able humor, etc., etc. I still find myself often pushing friends into it and youtubing cutscenes to share with people. The game is I haven't been able to find a single game that has been nearly as enthralling and inspiring as Anachronox since I picked it up back in 2001. Poor and buggy gameplay is made up easily by the incredible story, amazing environments, awesome characters, rofl-able humor, etc., etc. I still find myself often pushing friends into it and youtubing cutscenes to share with people. The game is simply genius, and the adventure is unforgettable. Expand
  4. EdRM
    Jun 12, 2005
    Simply a classic. Fun, fun and fun. Good plot and incredibly well directed cutscenes with characters with personality.
  5. SHODAN
    Nov 10, 2007
    This game has personality and style. The setting and narrative are original and unique in their presentation. It is a detailed and subtle world. The characters are complex and meaningful. I found myself resonating with their ideas, feelings and motivations as their back stories unfurled. The game has some intentionally hilarious moments and others which are emotionally weighty. The This game has personality and style. The setting and narrative are original and unique in their presentation. It is a detailed and subtle world. The characters are complex and meaningful. I found myself resonating with their ideas, feelings and motivations as their back stories unfurled. The game has some intentionally hilarious moments and others which are emotionally weighty. The graphics may be poor technically, but the art-direction is effective in setting up the atmosphere across varied environments and is aided by a stellar score. The game is of good length, too. Sure, it has some bugs and other poor design decisions, but for the original, engaging and meaningful experience it presents, I can forgive it. Expand
  6. Oct 17, 2013
    Seen its up on Steam...A game i've been gagging to get again. Game play wise one of the most intelligent and brilliant RPG's i've played. Was hampered by tons of bugs that ruined original game.

But steam seems to fix its stuff to work on Steam so im hoping its all nicely patched to atleast the fan patch standard. cant recommend enough. Awesome game if a bit dated graphic wise. But

Awesome game if a bit dated graphic wise. But the cartoon feel works in its favor. LOTS of replay value.
  7. MocanuI.
    Feb 26, 2008
    A superb game, proof that games are art and one I'd really like to see brought to an end. The story ended so abruptly it made me shed a tear.
  8. DavidM.
    Aug 23, 2003
    Weak graphics, and bugs are the only thing that hamper this excellent pc rpg to save pc rpgs. Turn based and wonderful, this thing roxxorz mcownage, a must buy for pc afficianados.
  9. Feb 17, 2014
    This is basically a JRPG (with all pros and cons) made by a western company. It's shallow at times, the combat is not very fun, the story isn't that interesting, but the game just have some charm and soul put in it and it keeps you playing. One thing that should be mentioned - the game's sense of humor, it's really good.
  10. Dec 28, 2014
    Very unique and often forgotten RPG gem. Interesting characters, good story, lots of humor, JRPG style battle system, it's not flawless, but it's definitely a memorable RPG experience worth playing through. 9/10

1. All in all, Anachronox is a long, rich, elegant, worthwhile, and above all satisfying gaming experience. The characters, story, and quests are really loads of fun. The goals are always clear, and if you get sidetracked you have no one to blame but yourself, and ultimately no harm is done.
  2. The writing and design are fresh and clever, but the actual gameplay can drag at times.
    Despite the aged graphics, the game makes you laugh and once you get past the first couple hours you'll find a truly fun RPG. While it isn't the 200+ hour monster that most PC gamers are used to (see "Baldur's Gate II" for that), it will keep you busy for over 60 hours, and for a console-style RPG that is a very good length.