Analogue: A Hate Story PC

7.9

1. Aug 26, 2014
    This game is absolutely horrible. I don't know why people like it so much. The visual novels from Japan are way better. Stick to the real deal Japanese games.
  2. Oct 31, 2015
    This game is incredibly boring. Don't even expect a game, this is a visual novel. You interact with a computer, trying to rebuild a story. After few minutes of gameplay I gave up: it is just BORING.
  3. Feb 16, 2015
    I love sci-fi stories and many of the virtual novels I've tried so far. But this is profoundly boring.

It is probably something to do with my personal cultural bias and inability to suspend disbelief for this game, but the focus on genealogies and conversations between people via emails is mind numbing tedium. I can't bring myself to read this beyond the first part. Even the AI keeps apologizing for it not being interesting. I don't know what to follow up on because there is -nothing- I find interesting about this story.

If there's a nugget in this game somewhere it's well hidden behind walls of endless personal drivel.

Kudos for the music. That's about it.

1. May 14, 2012
    It's no secret that I thoroughly enjoyed Analogue: A Hate Story. The writing is stellar, the music and graphics are stylish, and the interactive gameplay elements are immersive. I also appreciate its unapologetic attitude toward mass appeal, instead opting to please a very specific kind of gamer. Those who want to see a fine example of elevated video game storytelling would do best to check this game out. It may not be a long ride (5-7 hours for a single playthrough), but it is a satisfying one.
  2. Apr 6, 2012
    It's a game that doesn't have the luxury of distracting you with clever mechanics and satisfying challenges to excuse its lack of narrative. It's just you and the story and how exactly you digest it. If you're interested in dystopian sci-fi and intriguing mysteries and like getting angry about patriarchal misogyny, then it's certainly something you could enjoy.
  3. Apr 5, 2012
    An intriguing exercise in interactive fiction, let down by shaky writing and a major lack of emotional engagement. [Apr 2012, p.50]