Anarchy Online PC

• Publisher: Fun Com
  • Release Date: Jun 26, 2001
7.7

1. Jun 25, 2015
    Game has a brand new engine and it just makes this game 1000x better! The community on this game is so mature and kind. I am putting this game in my top 5 favorite of all time.
  2. RachelL.
    Dec 12, 2004
    It's definitely got a bunch of mistakes, but the game has enough patches to fix them. It's graphix are so beautiful that I can't bare to give it a 9 and the content is extroadinary! It'll keep you on your toes all day by whatever interests you may have!
  3. Mar 27, 2012
    only reason its a 9? graphics are older, but new engine is getting close now, as they are advertising it. with new engine, this game would be an 11/10. no mmo in existence is as big, has as much content, as many classes, and as much character customization as Anarchy Online. plus, its Sci-fi done right. the only downside? its a game designed for above-average and higher IQ's (which isonly reason its a 9? graphics are older, but new engine is getting close now, as they are advertising it. with new engine, this game would be an 11/10. no mmo in existence is as big, has as much content, as many classes, and as much character customization as Anarchy Online. plus, its Sci-fi done right. the only downside? its a game designed for above-average and higher IQ's (which is often what sci-fi attracts in the first place). that is not an insulting statement, it is just a fact I've learned from playing AO for 8 years, with a break here and there. the learning curve is steep, and takes months, possibly years to experience the whole game. the difference between AO and newer mmo's, is that you must use your brain. putting on the best gear or equiping gear twice your level requires laddering implants, backpacks of gear swapping to temporarily ladder your skills to equip something that you should not be able to, which in turn bumps up skills to equip something else even more ridiculous to be wearing at your level. In any other game this would be exploiting. in AO it is the bread and butter, and is called "twinking" in AO lingo. no game in history has done this, or done it successfully to the scale that AO does it. when the new engine and starter areas are implemented, this game will be in a league of its own, and a perfect rating will not do it justice. until then, get some friends together and try the game. its definitely worth it. Expand
    Aug 31, 2001
    This game is a joke. Reviews should be based on reality NOT what someone THINKS a game could possibly be sometime in the future. That is ridiculous! AO is completely unplayable in it's current state. Don't listen to the "Everquest" bashers. This game couldn't shine EQ's boots. If you want to play a highly stable, addictive and fun online game, then "Everquest" should This game is a joke. Reviews should be based on reality NOT what someone THINKS a game could possibly be sometime in the future. That is ridiculous! AO is completely unplayable in it's current state. Don't listen to the "Everquest" bashers. This game couldn't shine EQ's boots. If you want to play a highly stable, addictive and fun online game, then "Everquest" should be your purchase not this piece of garbage. Expand
  5. Oct 14, 2011
    I tried it out for a while but it just couldn't hold my interest for that long. It's not a horrible MMO, but it's just not quite as good as some of the other titles out there. The gameplay was just a bit too generic. I haven't tried playing it in years though, so my review is solely based on my experiences when the game was relatively new.
  6. Trajan
    Jul 5, 2002
    This is a pretty good and addictive game. As of July 2002 the bugs are gone and the game plays smoothly. One remaining problem is the lack of content for higher level characters. But since it takes a month or so of continuous playing (not powergaming!) to reach level 100 (out of 200) you can waste many weeks of your life before you get bored. Plus you can always start a new character with This is a pretty good and addictive game. As of July 2002 the bugs are gone and the game plays smoothly. One remaining problem is the lack of content for higher level characters. But since it takes a month or so of continuous playing (not powergaming!) to reach level 100 (out of 200) you can waste many weeks of your life before you get bored. Plus you can always start a new character with a different race and class and play for another month. Overall the game is worth the cost of admission and will get even better once the storyline begins. Expand
  7. DeborahD.
    Dec 4, 2003
    AO has come a long way from it's shaky beginnings. The most important thing that keeps me in this game is the developer's committment to improvement. Their humbling start did not deter them, and they forged ahead to the point where they've created something very unique, very beautiful in Anarchy Online. The new expansion, The Shadowlands, broadens the game to such an AO has come a long way from it's shaky beginnings. The most important thing that keeps me in this game is the developer's committment to improvement. Their humbling start did not deter them, and they forged ahead to the point where they've created something very unique, very beautiful in Anarchy Online. The new expansion, The Shadowlands, broadens the game to such an extent, that it's almost as if you are experiencing an entirely new game, which, in a way, you are. It focuses on 'The Journey' and this journey is one that takes you into yourself, if you choose to walk the path. I'm a player.. and I love this game. I've tried many other MMOG's but always keep coming back to AO. Expand
  8. AnonymousMC
    Aug 13, 2001
    Sets the bar lower than ever before for MMORPGs, both for the despicable launch and the incredible number of high priority bugs that are still in the game a month and a half after retail release.

Then, if you are lucky enough to get past the superficial bugs and actually *play* the game, you'll discover a load of _fundamental_ bugs underneath: -lack of content, -generic

-lack of content,
    -generic architecture in the missions,
    -CLASS IMBALANCES
    -lack of unique items, etc.

This game is eye candy alone. Don't buy it.
  9. AnonymousMC
    Nov 20, 2001
    True enough, AO does have a few problems but mainly because of the inabilty of users to read the recomended requirements. For the most part I find AO to be an incredibly engaging and addictive game. And seriously folks, if you read the reviews before you bought the game, then you wouldnt be in the situation you are in now, like the recommended requirements.
  10. Sep 29, 2014
    i cant understand how this game hasnt died yet, realy bad looking, and too grindy. filled with bugs. repetitive missions, boring raids, probably wont get the graphics update
  11. Jan 29, 2014
    My second favorite game of all time.

There is no other game out there like AO. Nothing comes close. I'd get into its pros and cons, but suffice it to say that its the most atmospheric and otherworldly gaming experience I've had in an MMO. I still love it after 10 years of play. Be warned: It does have a steep learning curve and its not for the impatient. But, on the flip-side it
    My second favorite game of all time.

There is no other game out there like AO. Nothing comes close.

Be warned: It does have a steep learning curve and its not for the impatient. But, on the flip-side it has the most intelligent and mature playerbase of any online game in the world. Trust me on this.

The best part? Its free to try up to the first 200 levels (out of 220). However, I HIGHLY recommend spending 5 dollars for the shadowlands expansion at least.
  12. Sep 5, 2016
    Attention: There is a chance Funcom will freeze your account and demand image files of yourself, your credit card, and your ID (passport if you have nothing else) as the only solution for you to get your account back, even if there is no issue with your credit card and no suspicious activity on the account. If you're not willing to trust Funcom with your identity, they will keep theAttention: There is a chance Funcom will freeze your account and demand image files of yourself, your credit card, and your ID (passport if you have nothing else) as the only solution for you to get your account back, even if there is no issue with your credit card and no suspicious activity on the account. If you're not willing to trust Funcom with your identity, they will keep the account frozen forever with no alternate solutions. All your time invested in the free account will be lost. There are several discussion threads about this, on Reddit and elsewhere if you want to look them up.

Some of you may not realize what a huge deal it is to send that kind of personal information to a third party in a foreign country - a company that recently had their forums hacked and is struggling financially. Don't do it. Sending that kind of information to a third party is illegal (for good reason) in some countries, and even if it's not illegal in yours - your proof of identity is more valuable than any game account, and the fact that Funcom wants it so badly even though they could verify your ID in other ways should give you pause.

For the record: this happened to me, and others. I've had no issues with my credit card ever, I had a different account that was paid without issues with the SAME credit card as the frozen account, and I didn't share the account with anyone nor was there suspicious activity. The fact that one account (by the same player) gets frozen but the second account, played at the same time and paid with the same card, does not, should tell you all you need to know about Funcom's 'security' system.

Avoid this game if you don't want to risk losing all the time you invested.

1. It features great graphics, a slightly modified version of "EverQuest's" gameplay model, and lots of frustrating problems. True to its theme, you should only consider playing it in the future.
  2. The communitiy is huge, the forums helpful, and there are no hunts for ennemies around a barren wasteland.
    It's a brilliant, engaging, profound MMORPG, but with enough atrocious technical problems to make you scream more obscenities than a French truck driver.