6.3

1. Nov 20, 2013
    I can understand why people may like this game, but it really isn't for me… “And Yet It Moves” is a puzzle platformer game which has one goal; get to the end of the level without being horribly dismembered by traps or falling too far too fast! The obscure element involved in the game is the ability to turn the map around whilst your character remains stationed the same way. Trying to be objective I can see how those who like the puzzle genre could appreciate it’s challenging nature and even the art style of the game, but as I said the game just doesn't do anything for me; I find it a little to challenging and a little bit of a bore! Expand
  2. Oct 13, 2013
    I can see that it's not badly executed, it's just that i find it approximately as enjoyable as being read the phone directory... Not punched in the balls level but it's just not fun for me.
  3. Aug 3, 2013
    Gorgeous and charming as it looks, And Yet It Moves is all about gimmickry. The Good: Sharp, beautiful art style; interesting concept. The Bad: Uninspired, repetitive and not that well executed. The premise behind And Yet It Moves is an interesting one: rotating a paper collage world around a also-paper character (instead of simply controlling the character directly) until he finds his place back in the landscape by the end of each level. And that premise is beautifully presented with a vivid, almost tactile environment that easily catches your eye from the very beginning. So what's wrong with AYIM?

Well, unfortunately there's enough to break the spell. The game suffers from some repetitive level design, and even when new mechanics are added they aren't always well implemented: some, like the springboard, simply doesn't feel right; others, like using fire, aren't clear enough.

Also, the paper guy is way too fragile--presumable, but much more than any other paper object around him--and he can't stand the slightest change of mind by the player without being squished (that's the sound he makes dying) by gravity. Aside being sluggish, which just adds to the feeling he ultimately denies any dynamics such a core mechanic could suggest.

Even laying a bit on the short side (it can be beaten in less than 3 hours) AYIM can be a dragging experience due to the aforementioned issues. In a way the meat of the game defeats the purpose of some interesting alternative playmodes like Speed Run, Time Trial and Limited Rotations.

Wrapping it up with a reference to indie darlings, And Yet It Moves is a Samorost that demands some platforming precision it wasn't built for in the first place.
  4. May 15, 2013
    Perhaps the controls are better on the Wii, but they are bulky and infuriating on the PC. The concept, I'll admit, is awesome, but the constant frustration at inaccurate or inconsistent mechanics (bamboo jumps, anyone?) makes it unbearable.
  5. Jan 13, 2013
    Nice small game with beautiful atmosphaeric soundtrack and really overwhelming papercut-backgrounds, where a small white figure tries to survive; you can turn the world, jump and interact with animals, plants, fire etc. It was great entertainment with a above the average-difficulty, but the quick savegames rescue the motivation. Achievements way too hard to achieve (at least some of them) and the bonus-levels are very hard! Have fun! Expand
  6. Dec 31, 2012
    A great idea of a puzzle-platformer, that uses voices as sounds, and pieces of paper as "graphic". I like it. The gameplay is nothing really new, but it works fine. (It has its flaws, like the fact that it may be boring because of its slowness on the movements, and such).
  7. Dec 2, 2012
    The demo was terrible, so I wouldn`t have bought it, but it was included in a bundle with other games and one day I decided to play through it. It grew on me, despite the clunky and slow controls. The sounds are bad. Graphically-wise, it got better by the end of the game. Level design also got better by the end of the game. I played it a long time ago, so I didn`t play the "new" levels that were included more recently. It`s not brilliant, but I had fun with it. Expand
  8. Jul 21, 2012
    You can tell the sound design was not made by professionals. It's a mystery what they were thinking. You can also tell that a lot of hard work went into the levels and the gameplay. At a couple of places it became frustrating and I nearly ragequit, but I played through the game and can say that the levels get a bit more interesting and different toward the end of the game. If you're just interested to see the design of the game, I recommend just watching bits of a playthrough on Youtube. This game is more fun to witness than to play in many places. Expand
  9. Jun 25, 2012
    And Yet It Moves Developer/Publisher: Broken Rules Release: 4/2/09 Genre: 2D platformer, Puzzle Platform: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Wiiware DRM free And Yet It Moves was a game I got from a Humble bundle a while ago. It was a game that I that I looked forward to and tried to enjoy but couldn't I had beaten this game once and have played it again and both times I have dislike this game due to it's design. The game was a great idea but the execution of it was bad. I will try to objectively as possible tell you why it's just bad game to avoid.

Game play: The game is played as a 2D platformer with a twist where you can rotate the world. This changes how you navigate the worlds as you take into account of gravity and fall speed. It is a great idea but it isn't done well enough. In the first chapter and the first half of the second chapter, it works good as the game slowly introduces new elements. These levels are not frustrating and are fun. It's after the second half of chapter two is were it goes downhill. Levels become for frustrating where you need to do multiple rotations quickly along with avoiding death traps and bottomless pits. This is due to how gravity and fall speed affects your character. Once your character begins to flail, this means you will go splat after landing and it easy to do it as rotating speeds this up. Now you may think that as long as you take your time and not marathon this game then it should be enjoyable but this is not the case. It requires a lot of precision and there is a noticeable lag. Key presses can be ignored by the game if you rotate too quickly. You can easily notice this in time trial mode were your times can wildly vary from 3-7 seconds on one checkpoint along even when just about the same thing. I one got seven minutes when I felt I did worse getting to the checkpoint then the last one. Unfortunately I can't officially verify it as bad programing but it was frustrating. Later levels spread their check points out quite far where you have to re-due plenty of frustrating sections again. Now if your a completionist like I am and want to complete time trial mode then prepared to be frustrated. The third level speed run demonstrates this and I would hate to play the fourth one and navigate bats through the level. The ending is not worth it as it's just a simple thanks for playing message. I hated this game once I had beaten it.

Graphics:

The graphics are paper cut outlines of real world images. It basically a Paper Mario style except it doesn't blend well. It stands out a lot in not a good way. Only the last chapter looks good with it's trippy look. There are very few animations except for a few and the character's is the best. He looks like a very detailed stop motion animation that is very complete looking. Sound in the game is also lacking with only a few sound effects and one song that sounds like sound effects. It's gives the game a lonely and boring feel.

Conclusion:

This game is bad. The level design is okay in the first half of the game but the later half is frustrating due to the precision required. Add time trial mode and the levels are just plain frustrating to play. That is not fun. It's graphically and audibly dull thought the game. Only the final chapter as some good art design. I can't recommend this game to anyone and would suggest avoiding it.
  10. Jun 9, 2012
    Nice indie tittle. Some of the game mechanics, I find, actually hinder the fun you'd have; namely the momentum that throws you in the opposite directing you'd like to go: you'd jump toward a platform hoping that when you revers gravity you will land safely on that platform, but when you do revers gravity, you end up being tossed back in the same direction you came from. It's a small gripe but, like I said, it kills some of the fun.

Graphics aren't totally ugly, but they could be a little more appealing, I suppose.
  11. May 18, 2012
    In my opinion, And Yet It Moves is definitely where it belongs. It's not an astonishing game, but it has some nice mechanics which will make you to go further into game. First few chapters are pieces of cake, but later on the game gets harder and harder and that's where I have begun to have fun.
    Graphics are strange and the way you treat them depends a lot on individual likings. I myself
    didn't pay much attention to the overall picture and focused on the walk through.
    To sum up And Yet It Moves is definitely worth trying as it is available for a real cheap coin and is on par with other decent, not the best though, indie games.
  12. Apr 30, 2012
    The artwork is minimalistic and uninteresting. The game play mechanics are annoying, awkward, slow, and unintuitive. The repetitiveness in death is only a replacement for actual game content and game play. The puzzles are like chores, and not actually fun or entertaining. Within fifteen minutes you will grasp and understand the small amount of amusement this game offers, while at the same time growing tired of playing it with each passing minute. It is a lesson in poor game design and lack of creativity. There are barely any sounds nor music. There is no charm, fun, creativity, nor intrigue. And Yet It Moves is another independent showcasing of what game development should steer clear from. It is a cheap, short, flat, unexciting, unexceptional, deficient attempt at game design. There is nothing to see nor experience here. It is a freeware game disguised with an exorbitant asking price from developers who obviously lack shame and humility. And Yet It Moves is inadequate in every fathomable way, and it exemplifies everything that gaming should not be about. There is no actual game content and no game play. It is self-conceited to make up for all of its failures and shortcomings. Collapse
  13. Feb 14, 2012
    This is an indie puzzle game whoâ
  14. Dec 25, 2011
    Ok game, was hating it on the beginning just kept dying not knowing exactly why.. But once you get the hang of it it's quite fun... Is a casual puzzle/platformer game so remember that while playing and rating... It won't give you the thrill of your life but it will keep you entertained for a while... ,It isn't really frustrating, the level design is good (not too hard or too easy) and there are checkpoints quite often. About the graphics.. they're nothing special and don't need to be.
    The soundtrack... is not bad, goes well with the game and actually liked it.
    Lastly... the controls are Ok like I said I kept dying a lot until I got the hang of it and I blamed the controls, but I must say that just because I sucked... As probably everyone else complaining about the controls do.

Overall decent title, I wouldn't pay full 10 bucks price but I got it at a discount and was worth it.
  15. Dec 24, 2011
    I don't see what all the hype is about with this game. The art style deserves points for being unique, but it's unfortunately also rather bland. Gameplay is extremely simple. You can walk left or right, jump, and rotate the direction of gravity (left, right, or 180). The ability to control gravity is not exactly innovate (just for one example, see Yoshi's Universal Gravitation from Nintendo, which came out years ago). The only innovation to the "control gravity" gameplay is that the camera rotates and fall damage is turned on, making the game a slightly dizzying physics puzzle. In addition to not feeling like anything particularly special, the gameplay just feels clunky and annoying. The player character walks like its trudging through a tar pit and the gravity control is just frustrating (not in a "this game is challenging but rewarding" kind of way, but in a "this game often feels like a practical joke on the player" sort of way). I kept playing it because I wanted to know if it got better, but the game eventually reached a point where I would rather stab myself in the eye with a sharpened pencil than play with its gravity gimmick for another minute. This is not on the list of the worst games I have ever played, by any means, but I do think it's a fairly mediocre game and not very deserving of most of the hype it got. I love indie games and want them to succeed as much as the next person, and I know indies gotta eat, but a spade is still a spade. Not a game I would recommend. Expand
  16. Nov 2, 2011
    Game is unplayable without a motion controller. I got frustrated and bored in the first level and never played it again... The graphics could be better too...
  17. Nov 2, 2011
    when it comes to 2D indie performers there are many options, and this one for me rated rather highly, it is by no means perfect, there are many frustrating puzzles, but there are also many clever puzzles which are both a challenge and fun to solve, the soundtrack is basic but it matches the game relatively well. the art style is simple, different and while not everyone will like it, i enjoyed it. at $15 its a little expensive for what you get, but otherwise i would recommend it Expand
  18. Aug 19, 2011
    good puzzle-platformer.
    I like this.
  19. Aug 12, 2011
    This game has some interesting design choices, and against all odds, "I like And Yet It Moves" a lot. The use of gravity-changing gameplay to maneuver through unique levels and solve mind-boggling puzzles defines this game among others, as it utilizes this with a sort of simplicity and complexity at the same time that really makes me favor this game against others such as VVVVVV. Though at some points frustration will frenzy you, I feel that the style and addictive level and exploration this game provides will keep you entertained for a couple of hours, as any well done indie game should. Expand
  20. Aug 5, 2011
    i got it at a discount on steam and i must say for the money i paid (few bucks) i got more than i was hoping for... it's fairly short but sweet.. (steam says i finished in about 4 hours, but i think it was a bit longer than that). The visual style is quite different and novel. the puzzles are quite good... it has a clever selection of puzzle elements that are combined in clever ways. The sounds and music are all right.. perhaps a bit lacking in variety? I didn't particularly like the control scheme (keys can't be customized). I would have preferred if movement was controlled by the right hand (just like how we played the early platformers). But eventually I got the hang of it (after a LOT of dying inadvertently). Thankfully, dying is not unpleasant due to the sheer number of checkpoints. I liked that i didn't have to bother with saving and loading manually. Anyway, buy it.. in my opinion it's quite good for the price. Expand
  21. Aug 5, 2011
    Pros: casual indie puzzle/platform-er, checkpoints are exactly where you need them to minimize frustration, puzzles are hard enough to make you think a little, and typically force you to try different methods to finish a part.

Cons: graphics are nothing special, soundtrack (or lack thereof) is abysmal. (Luckily the game takes so little processing power, It is very easy to run a media
    player in the background for your own music.)

Side-note: I review this game independent of its price. If you want to pay $10 (current price on steam) for a simple, no frills indie game, be my guest.
  22. Aug 2, 2011
    I got this title in the Humble Bundle 3 and somehow I really dislike it. The main idea is that you can change the direction of gravity to up, down, left, right (visually represented by turning the whole world around). The rest is a standard out of date platformer. GAMEPLAY: You will die quite often. It's a little bit frustrating, but that comes along with this genre. Some of the deaths however are a result of the controls: You can change the gravity-direction in 90 degrees only, the world is then animated by turning, which takes up some time. This feels slow and is simply annoying in a freefall, where you could use it best.
    VISUALS: When I saw the trailer I thought this is some cool artistic style. It is not. The developers wanted to keep it TOO simple. Though there are cave-levels and tree-levels, both look quite similar and lack of variety. The addition of some Monty-Python-esque animals rather feels cheap than funny (as probably intended).
    SOUND: Nothing spectacular. It does its job though. LEVELDESIGN: Some few interesting spots and a lot of "seen before" platforming. The Humble Bundle also includes the game VVVVVV, which is quite similar (instead of jumping you can change the gravity upside-down). That game has a far superior leveldesign and feels much more rewarding despite being much more frustrating and having minimal visuals.
  23. Jul 27, 2011
    The graphics are ugly to the point of being slightly unsettling. The controls are slow and awkward. The levels are tedious and frustrating while being boring. It's a gimmicky game that you can play better versions of for free elsewhere... it's like a lame version of Shift ... http://armorgames.com/play/751/shift

Got this as part of a bundle... glad I didn't pay anything for it.
  24. Nov 25, 2010
    Hate to be the voice of reason here, but this game is not good. I am all for indie games, and these days, they are my main source of entertainment. However, And Yet It Moves fails to entertain. It's a poor platformer with stiff controls. Dying repeatedly isn't the infuriating part of the game, oh no. The so called "soundtrack" is. It's a random assortment of poor attempts at beat boxing and other similar vocal noises. The game play honestly just feels stale. The whole point is to rotate the map, and unfortunately, that's as far from linear as the game gets. Every goal is simply start to finish. As a mainly retro gamer, this isn't a concept that I'm unused to, but when the game makes no attempt to freshen this up, it creates a very boring experience. Rating this game on the same scale to other indie games is just unfortunate. The game's "artstyle" is very poor. I imagine that some people think that it's "interesting" and "cool." But honestly, it isn't. It's a shoddy assortment of random google JPGs. The lead character looks especially bad. Quite honestly, just looking at him makes no sense. Everything in this game seems to be poised to just sell gimmick as a game. From one side of the coin, you could say that game is a platformer with unique elements, distinct artstyle and intriguing soundtrack. On the other side, you see a talentless game making a stale game because he has no artistic talent and musical skills. The ratings this game has been receiving are unfortunate because there are so many better indie games out there that are so overlooked. Expand
  25. Apr 30, 2012

1. AYIM is a novel, fun and incredibly infuriating game that will pass the time, just don’t expect it to turn your world upside-down.
  2. Independent, unfamiliar and unknown: And Yet It Moves is the kind of game you rarely ever get to review – and yet I instantly fell in love with the fresh style, interesting concept and funny gameplay. It may not be a high-budget-production, but it’s certainly worth your while and money!
  3. And Yet It Moves is one of those unique titles that only come around once in a while. The 15 dollar price tag may deter a few but competition modes, achievements and a stunning audio-visual experience make the title well worth the price. If nothing else, you’ll be getting a unique and dizzying adventure through this not-so common puzzle platformer.