7.0

1. Sep 24, 2013
    oh my god, this game is so rewarding and hard at the same time and the homage's to the show on youtube is amazing! the difficulty is castlevainia and mega man combined, and is just plain fan service :D
  2. Sep 23, 2013
    Like you'd expect, this game is hard, but is HIGHLY rewarding. There are little to no cheap deaths, so each mistake is on you. This is what makes the game so enjoyable. It's frustrating, but is feels so satisfying to get through each level knowing that you did it with your own skills. And thankfully, there is a high amount of replay value, because there are new difficulties to unlock after completing the game. So far I haven't beaten the game (I chose to start on the "Old School" difficulty, which is the most difficult beginning difficulty (not an unlocked difficulty)), but I notice that I always come back to it. It's one of the games where you play until you get gameover, get pissed off and quit, and then a couple hours later you go back at it. The reason why I gave this a 9 instead of a 10 is because the game is quite short. There are only like 8 or 9 levels split up similar to Megaman, so if you were good enough you could beat the game in around 2 hours. But if you are looking for something that you can play that is both quick, difficult, and rewarding to play, then this is the game for you. Expand
  3. Sep 27, 2013
    I played AVGN adventures for 5 hours straight and enjoyed myself. It was fun, but my main issue with the game is the price tag. For 15 dollars or cheaper you can get great games such as DuckTales Remastered or Vulgar the Viking, which are polished masterpieces with more effort put into them. AVGN is a fun game, just nothing that will even come close to your favorite NES games. There's a lack of ambition in it, it doesn't even try to achieve greatness in the ways that NES game developers did. When they went out to make a game, they tried to create a whole atmosphere. Maybe AVGNA doesn't take itself seriously enough. I didn't find it's repetitive poop jokes that funny or copy pasting things that were said in the show for the only sake of having references to everything in the show. I love AVGN, the episodes are great and always funny, but the game was not. Expand
  4. Sep 24, 2013
    Angry Video Game Nerd Adventure is not only a long awaited game, but a good one... Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures is a game released on September 20th, 2013 published by Screwattack LLC. With a graphic style that is bright and vivid along with a Headphone Blastin' soundtrack along with a difficulty level which will make you want to keep playing AVGNA makes you angry at yourself rather than the game...

For the graphic side of things there is definitely a enormous amount of polish going into the graphics is obvious and great. The best part is that all of the bells and whistles of the game look great and makes the 1920X1200 resolution Requirement seem necessary. The Colour Pallet is what makes the game Pop out of the screen. Angry Video Game Adventures is a big piece of eye candy that I just want to keep chewing

For the sound design of AVGNA the music is some sick 8-bit beats with bits of the Angry Video Game Nerd theme thrown in there. Not only that but the sound effects sound awesome. There is nothing not to enjoy on the sound design side of this game

But how's the game play? It plays pretty damn well. With great control of "The Nerd" and funny humor that will make you laugh most of the time, AVGNA is definitely a joy to play. Not only that but there are cameos everywhere and an Easter egg list longer that imaginable. The game will be difficult even for seasoned gamers. And the asking price is slightly too high. But none of the less Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures is one fun game.

I give this game an 8 out of 10
  5. Sep 24, 2013
    This game is pretty much what you would expect. great retro platforming game play with plenty of AVGN fanfare. the music and level design hit it right on. every stage is filled to the brim with references to James Rolfe's videos. The game features several playable characters who all have different abilities that make them more useful in different situations so collecting each character is rewarding. As you might expect the game is full of challenge and difficultly but features several difficulty levels as not to discourage less skilled players. All in all a solid homage to a great time and a great man. Expand
  6. Oct 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. controls suck but are consistent. you get to play through a myriad of game throwback spoofs. Its exactly what you want to see from the AVGN. This is literally the type of game he reviews as he (you) is sucked into this game and must play his way through it to get out of the game world. I get bad reviews on bad games but this game was designed to be and anger you and that is what it does. Expand
  7. Oct 12, 2013
    It's just Awesome! A V G N
  8. Oct 1, 2013
    Hard, fun, it has tons of jokes, and references also it's rewarding. AVGN Adventures is a pretty solid platformer. Sometimes it's frustrating, but it's a fair game. It needs patience and skills. There are unlockable characters, good references to the show, and the level design is pretty much fun!
    Fortunately, there are lots of checkpoints and the player starts with high amount of lifes.
    Also there are lots of secrets for a good replayablity value too. Old school NES style graphics are nice, and the music is also very good. It runs fluidly, and the controls are also right even playing it with a keyboard.

Only drawback is the difficulty, it's almost "NES hard", and mainly it's pricetag. Other then that, it's a highly recommended, well crafted platform game!
  9. Oct 6, 2013
    This game has a very hard difficulty, but the controls are great, so if you die, it's on you!
    (or the unfair difficulty...)
    A cheap game (only 15 dollars) and well worth the money, and has a good (but sometimes repetitive) soundtrack.
    While this game is kinda made for the AVGN audience, you can still pick it up without too much knowledge of the show and it'll still be fun, you just
    might not understand all the references. Expand
  10. Oct 23, 2013
    The game is cute and everything expected from the author. It is by no mean some super serious game that has meaning to revolutionize anything. What I noticed from the game in my view is that it takes a ton of old game elements that worked and makes them feel interactive and fun again. The humor of course is directly from the act put on by the author. This game is everything it should be and stands for. Expand
  11. Apr 11, 2014
    Had to help even out the score with a zero! I probaly would of gave it a 4 but its obvious fans of AVGN have gave the game high scores for no other reason then being AVGN Fanbrats! The game itself is not impressive, there are loads of re-skinned enemies/bosses, cheap deaths and pointless cameo's! AVGN's adventures is your basic run-of-the-mill platform game, the price is unjust (£12)! Just a quick cash grab in my opinion. Expand
  12. Nov 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you're a fan of AVGN, you'll love all the references and hidden secrets, and thats what this game shines as, a little AVGN extravaganza. As a game itself....it's merely ok. I found myself rather liking the retro graphics and the music was actually rather good. The controls however are iffy at times, and given how precise the game demands you to be, it can sometimes be more frustrating then it's worth. The levels are also hit or miss. All are visually unique from one another, and while about half of them I would say were well done and extremely fun to play, the other half quickly became a chore and sucked all the fun from the game(case in point, whoever designed the BOO! level should have their hands chopped off in public, it is the laziest, most uninspired and boring level layout I have ever seen, the entire thing was the same long annoying gimmick for the entire trek). However it was never aneurysm inducing enough to make me stop playing(though I did have to knock the difficulty down a peg), and upon completing it I found myself smiling, it was a Nerd experience, for worse, and thankfully, for the better aswell. Expand
  13. Dec 5, 2013
    Unlike some other fan boy blinded freaks writing reviews for this game where they just say its good because it's based off of a youtube channel, this will be a 100% honest review of a bad game. To start off, the fact that there are "no cheap deaths", that is false. There are plenty of cheap deaths. Some may say that patterns aren't cheap deaths. Personally, they are some of the cheapest you can get. Lets not forget that this is one of many games that bare the horrid disease that is "Megaman-idis". Meaning that there are plenty of moments in the game where you do because you had no idea that a certain instant death moment would happen (this shows its worst colors in Boo! Haunted House.). This game shows that it is living off of fan boys as early as the first moments. This is the kind of game that doesn't treat death like its nothing. One of the best thing about other retro throwbacks, like Super Meat Boy or Rayman Legends, is that they treat death like water on a ducks back. Or in this case, a ducks sweaty balls. Those games just throw you back to the beginning or check point in their levels. While in this game, when you die, you sit on this screen with a small selection of xblkid I MEAN AVGN phrases. These screens take up a solid 10+ seconds of time while you could be playing the game. Speaking of deaths, why are the checkpoints so spread out? Few checkpoints are one of the worst ways to stretch out game time. Also, this game doesn't get the proper music style that has graced other retro-style games. Instead it gets the ear-rape-age that is repetitive and memorable songs that literally make me want to rip my ears off the more I have to listen to them. My biggest problem with this game is that it claims to be "inspired by classic titles such as castlevania and mega-man." Well if this is the case then tell me why is this game so unfair with deaths? I died plenty of times because of a lack of knowing the level. And this game isn't rewarding in the slightest. When I beat 1 of 9 pathetic levels, I should have felt like I accomplished something. I shouldn't have felt like I just ran a marathon and lost. When I beat a hard level in a hard game, I felt satisfied. I felt like I actually accomplished something. Also, patterns in particular are one major problem with this game. You have to memorize when to jump. You have to memorize the bosses attack pattern. You have to memorize this you have to memorize that. Why is this? I don't mean to go back to Super Meat Boy, but in that game, in the boss for rapture, I found a couple of different ways I could go about beating him. I could either try the hard way or exploit a glitch. In this game with the final boss, I found a pattern that could only be broken by a missed jump. And about jumping. How about those controls huh? 3 words. Stiff. As. Hell. I don't need to say anymore then that. And let me not forget to mention how insultingly short this game is. 2 hours. 2 hours? 2 HOURS?! FOR 15 DOLLARS? I've had 3 dollar games last me for more then 12 hours, and there is no reason to replay this game. In games like dust, super meat boy(lolthisagain) and fez, I found plenty of repeatablity. Weather it was extra levels, a+ing a level I had already beaten to unlock the dark world variation, or just overall exploration, those games had more to come back to. This game has nothing. Cameos? So what. Its not like they unlock anything. Other than achievements. Speaking of that, there are achievements for dying a set amount of times. As if 10 minute loading screens are too short. The main disappointment is just the cost:quality ratio. I've played longer, better looking, better sounding, and better controlling games than this. Don't waste your time. Expand
  14. Nov 16, 2013
    The references... the never ending references. I can see how much attention to detail they went with this game trying to sum up the AVGN's 'career.' As with many difficult 'retro-styled' games, you may want to rage quit after a while, but as hard as it is, it's very rewarding when you finally finish a level or actually beat the game. With so many difficulty levels (you get more as you beat the game on certain difficulties), it has a pretty decent replay value. 9/10 Expand
  15. Jul 14, 2014
    People must be stupid or hmmm payed to give this crap more than 1. Yes people i wanna say you there are companies that write fake comments in exchange of money, yeahhh!!! This site has the reputation of a rotten banana.
  16. Oct 14, 2013
    Technical Issues[10]
    ------------------------------------
    Over All[6.0]
  17. Nov 24, 2013
    Quem diria um jogo da geração 8 bits estourar tanto quanto esse. Sou muito fã do Nerd e sempre acompanho ele em seu canal no youtube, por isso sou suspeito para fazer essa avaliação, mas, contudo, porém, entretanto, defino e avalio este game em apenas uma palavra: NOSTALGIA!
  18. Nov 22, 2013
    Before I say anything else, I want to say that I am a HUGE AVGN fan. I believe James Rolfe is a genius with his well-informed opinions he shares on his shows: Monster Madness, Board James, James and Mike, etc.

Anyways, about the game, if you love side-scrolling games and have been playing them for a while, this may a good game for you to pick up. If you're new to the side-scrolling
    genre, this game may be a little difficult for you as it is relentlessly hard. You have the choice to pick between 8 worlds, so if one level is giving you too much trouble, you can move on to the next one.

My major complaints about the game are minor, but they need to be mentioned. The number one complaint with the game is the jumping mechanic. Almost every single side-scrolling game I have ever played allows you to move a little farther after you let go of the jump button. With AVGN Adventures, the character stops immediately after you let go of the jump button. If you're used to Super Mario Bros., this will really throw you off and give you a hard time.

Another complaint with the game is the death screen you have to see every time you die. They are funny to read for the first 5-10 minutes, but get old real quick. You can't even skip past them, you have to wait 10 seconds for each one to pass. I find myself repeatedly pressing the A button to skip past it, even though I know it does nothing.

Other than those, this game is exceeds my expectations. There's tons of content for any AVGN fan to enjoy. Although this game is incredibly difficult, you'll find yourself smiling throughout each level.
  19. Dec 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's good, worth a couple dollars no more. I've been watching AVGN for a long time now, and this game is very suiting. But don't pay too much; to won't be worth your investment. Catch this game on sale if you can. This is the short answer. If you want to know more read on.

The good:

The controls are good, though definitely use a controller. A keyboard has felt clumsy for me and the developers definitely had using a playstation or xbox controller in mind.

The story is VERY AVGN. It's a bit of fun and makes it worth playing for a while. If you've watched AVGN a lot, you'll see a lot of references to his videos throughout the game. The humor is funny for a little while, but it gets a bit tiresome.

The music is great. Every stage has different theme and it's some of the best 8-bit music out there. The sound effects make it sound like your zapper or sound waves are really inflicting quite a bit of damage on the enemies you hit. These are great compliments to the game.

The difficulty is quite hard, but once you get used to the controls, you'll be blaming yourself rather than the game for deaths. The first few stages aren't terribly difficult in comparison with the later stages (they'll give you a run for your money though), but the later ones aren't nearly so easy. More on that later.

I haven't had any major gripes with the types of enemies.

The eh:

The stages get very repetitive and by the end, you don't feel like you're really playing a different stage with completely new enemies. Most of the enemies are reskins from other levels. For example, the fireballs, the happy faces, the flying ghosts, the squids are all the same, just different shapes. These are the most common enemies, and you can't even kill them. Furthermore, there aren't enough enemies for the diversity of weapons. So many times have I wanted to slaughter a band of enemies with my light saber but rarely do any come. And the ones that do come are so difficult to hit, it's easier to just avoid them than to risk getting hurt by one.

The extra characters are cool, but they're usually impractical to use. The guitar guy has a better weapon, but he can't aim it and he can't jump as high as the Nerd. It's too bad there aren't quite that many enemies that can be killed. Mike jumps higher than the nerd, but he's a bit clumsier and his weapon isn't nearly as good as either of the others (kind of like Luigi in the recent 3D Marios). The man gets a special second jump, but even with both jumps he still can't jump higher than the Nerd. His weapon sucks, don't use it. There aren't really any points in the game where you realize you HAVE to use another character. It's a shame because this could have been a real good opportunity for a bit of a puzzle design.

Powerups are in the game, but they're too scant to be useful. Plus sometimes they don't even do anything good anyway! The glitch gremlin will stop all enemy movement, but what good does it do if you have standstill ghosts everywhere and there's no way to jump over them all? It's impossible to freeze them at the perfect time.

The later stages are just tedious. Multiple obstacles face you in every direction and the game isn't even fair for most of them. For example, the haunted stage involves moving platforms that you have to keep up with. But if you haven't played that part of the stage before, you're bound to fall off because of the unpredictable motions of the platform. I understand a couple deaths to this, but the coupling of the platforms, enemies, and those wretched death blocks make the game outright frustrating.

In fact, my biggest gripe has got to be the death blocks. The death blocks are everywhere and they don't add to the game experience. If you touch them, you'll die instantaenously; it doesn't matter how many beers you have left. With so many in the game, you will come to realize that there's no reason to avoid the other flying enemies since your main obstacle are those death blocks. The death blocks are strategically placed in stupid locations designed to make you die and start all over again. They just seem like cheap deaths. With so many death blocks around, it's nearly impossible to beat the game on normal difficulty, let alone hard.

The humor feels much much darker than the Nerd is in his videos. Maybe it's the open-mouthed shock-face that James instills in his character every time something goes horribly wrong that the game developers didn't manage to recreate in-game. The nerd starts dissing the game too early and never stops.

Conclusion:

If you're a fan of the Nerd, get this game under one condition: don't buy this game for more than $7! The game gets a couple things perfectly right but then forgets or gets too lazy to change it up. If the developers didn't want to spend the extra time to program new and intuitive enemies, better levels, and more exciting uses of your teammates, you shouldn't pay the extra money to buy this game.
  20. Dec 28, 2013
    Summery: Fantastic game. The Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures took me back to the past of my childhood with kickass difficulty games such as megaman and ghost n' goblins this rage filled plate former gave me hours of enjoyment and I would recommend it to any retro gamer who has the balls to challenge this game. You'll be swearing like a sailor after playing this game just try not to get too angry and break your computer. Good luck and have fun.

Good points Decent Controls, Decent length, Fun & Difficult Gameplay.

- SuperMario11

1. Dec 31, 2013
    AVGN Adventures is a great platform, hard to play but funny, designed for the fans of the show and for those who love real challenges in videogames.
  2. Oct 16, 2013
    Connoisseurs of "fine humor" and fans of the Angry Nerd need not think twice about spending those 14 Euros. Go get it! It's a surprisingly solid, profanity-filled and feces-fixated chaos of a game. Hard, but fair, you'll find yourself flinging obscenities at the screen on a regular basis.
  3. Oct 2, 2013
    Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures is a solid action/platforming throwback, but it’s held back by the subpar games it lampoons. It plays well and packs a challenge, but the by-the-numbers level design detracts from the fun. I recommend AVGNA for fans of the show and anyone looking for straight-up punishment without much substance.