• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 17, 2011
6.9

1. Dec 25, 2012
    Anno2070 is a god game. If you are a fan of Dawn of Discovery and want the futuristic version of that game then you'll simply fall in love. However, the game IS A CLONE of its predecessor. You wont find much new and innovating gameplay mechanics. The underwater stuff is a modified version of the basic island settlement and the only real new system is the envrionmental effects. If you got your colonization fill with Dawn of Discovery, you will find nothing new here. Expand
  2. Apr 30, 2012
    The way a RTS City manager simulation is supposed to be. This game is an eloquent merger of RTS with Breathtaking graphical prowess. The level of detail in the AI is engaging and ensures many days of no-sleepers.

The DRM is Draconian; so much that It punished legitimate gamers that actually don't mind paying for such a gem.
  3. Oct 13, 2013
    Absolutely one of the greatest city building games ever to grace the PC. Exceptionally highly recommended to anyone who likes this genre. Beautiful to look at, beautiful to play.. intricate.. it's got it all.
  4. Mar 25, 2012
    The game feels and plays like an ANNO game, which is nice to see. While new stuff of course have been added from earlier installments they've been loyal to the the series.
    However while the game is by no means a bad game, it does get boring very fast, as there's no possibility for customizing your city in our image. Once you figure out how the economy works, you'll find yourself building
    the same way every single map, no matter the assignment.

--------------------- If you're a loyal fan of the series you'll most likely get some good hours out of the game, but if you're new to the game you might want to pick up one of the older game first to see if it's what you're looking for.
  5. May 31, 2013
    Beautiful, challenging, fun. ANNO 2070 mixes the best parts of RTS and city simulation. I have spent an easy 200 hours on this game and I am still playing it. A few downsides, it has a steep learning curve if you haven't played any ANNO games before and it is a time sink.
  6. Apr 3, 2012
    I picked this game up last week during a Steam sale and I can already tell I'm going to get my moneys worth out of it. The graphics are sharp, the play is smooth, and the process of building a prosperous civilization is so long and complex that even when you win a game you come away knowing you could have done dozens of things better. I do have a few complaints about the game but fortunately they're not anything that makes the game unplayable. Worthless Tutorial/Encyclopedia: There's really no explanation anywhere of how various game mechanics interact. Eventually you figure it out on your own but it's a slow, tedious process. In-Game Missions: Mostly fetch quests, highly repetitive, they get tedious fairly quick. Resource Managing: You spend a lot of time just staring at your warehouse inventory trying to tell if you're running out of a good. The game could use some sort of intuitive graph or pie chart system to help the player plan for future resource requirements. This last thing didn't bother me at all because I don't play games like this for a combat experience but.. Weak Combat: You can build 2 warships and I think 1 or 2 warplanes is all. Combat is simple as in you tell your boat to attack another boat and then you sit there watching bullets fly for a minute until one of them explodes. Overall it's a fun game, at least as fun as the Civilization series (to me). Expand
  7. Feb 5, 2012
    Excellent game. I was new to the series when I started and got hooked. It could use a little more polish in introducing new players to the game, or to introduce some game mechanics - especially those who haven't played the previous version. Campaign does a good job of explaining most mechanics, but for a game as deep as this one it could have done more. For that, I give it a 9/10. Most critic reviews I've read accurately reflect this game, more so than others. Expand
  8. Apr 17, 2012
    I have enjoyed Anno 2070 for many, many hours now, and it has not once disappointed. The graphics are wonderfully rich and vibrant and the game-play is quite enjoyable. At first I was a bit confused about the campaign missions, as there didn't seem to be a whole lot of content there. However, it's important to understand that the main purpose of the campaigns is to expose the player to all the inner workings of the game. By the time I was on the last few campaign missions, I couldn't wait to start a continuous game and really explore the game. I also had a good laugh when the game told me I had played continuously for more than two hours, and that maybe I should stretch my legs a bit. The continuous game mode has many options for you to tweak your experience, from an easy and relaxing city building and exploration focused game, to a fast-paced race for resources while fighting off pirates. Overall, Anno 2070 is a fantastic game, and one not to missâ Expand
  9. Mar 24, 2012
    Beautiful and addictive sum up Anno 2070. Where the game really shines is in the presentation of the simulation. This is one of only a handful of games Iâ
  10. Mar 28, 2012
    Definitely the best Anno game so far. The campaign is really well written, and it takes multiplayer to new level. I've already racked up 90 hours playing it.
  11. Apr 27, 2012
    A game whose graphics is satisfactory, however poorer than 1404 in my opinion, due to rather low LOD and not-so-good looking vegetation. I appreciate the deep-sea environment, quite original, but the islands feel rather blank as compared to the ones in 1404, which were much more populated with diverse entities (i know, fits not in the game's thematics, future and all that, but a compromise ?).

The sound is top-notch, but the voice-acting is dull, especially EVE's, i had to turn it down to a minimum.

The gameplay is fair for this kind of game. The quests continue in the line of 1404, although a bit dull, repetitive and way too easy. The AI sadly suffers from the same issues as 1404 in my opinion:
    -the easy AI is plain dumb and easy manouvrable
    -the medium AI is boring
    -the hard AI is suicidal, cheating and not suited for any real-life simulation of sorts
    Replayability value ? Quite limited, not too much to do.

All in all, a not-so-worthy successor of 1404.
  12. Mar 17, 2013
    There is no such thing as a perfect game but Anno 2070 comes very close. I have played the previous installment "anno 1404" and am familiar with 1701. 2070's focus lies not so much in your connection with the population but rather in technology and economic views. You either play as the eco's or global trust (industrials) and have S.A.A.T at your side as a technological faction. You can slo choose to play with a mix of these. Truly, the world is in your hands and prepare to spend days on end perfecting your economy and building the cities of your dreams. There is no "end-game" if you want but you can set victory conditions if you so desire. The replayability is mind boggling and this will get you immersed for years to come! Nothing in my game list is so addictive. Expand
  13. Jun 9, 2012
    This is game is not for everyone, but I found it to be intriguing and challenging. But it was a good kind of challenge, made you think more strategically and the Eden Initiative and the Global Trust were perfect factions given the situation of the game.
  14. Jul 1, 2012
    It's a really good game that adds up on the old Anno games. The time change doesn't change anything in the Anno experience you get delivered. Every single "Endless-Game" lasts really really long and you catch yourself playing with some friends playing 6-8 hours in a row and joking about the messages "You already played 8 hours! You should take a break!" that appear every few hours ^^
  15. Jul 20, 2012
    This game is more than a little time consuming, but the story isn't bad, and the graphics are better. However, this game hardly has any replay value other than simply building (utterly beautiful) cities in continuous mode. To extend on my earlier comment if you're new to Anno (I was) you'll spend hours messing around and scrounging for tutorials and digging through that laughable PDF of a tutorial. After a couple hours of that well... lets just say I was a little... volatile. Fortunately for my keyboard (because I was about to beat the hell out of it) I found a great series of tutorials on YouTube by NanosuitNinja. Watched a couple of videos and finally figured out how to actually play it. Once you've gotten that far it's really quite simple, and not to mention quite enjoyable, but after a couple of days it goes from joy to nausea as the sheer amount of repetition is well... nauseating. In the end this isn't a game you want to play often (or pay $50 for), more like play once, burn through the campaign, and build a (half) city and leave it in the bottom of the drawer for a couple months. [Tutorial link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYFLhADYd3k&feature=related] Expand
  16. Jan 30, 2013
    From the very first time you load the game youll get so caught up in the story and in the graphics, this game is just beautiful. Iv never played this game or any of the others in the series before and was entangled in the game play, i loved the way the ships looked, the way the building looked and how the ppl ran free through your island. I started on the very basic and worked my way up and was enjoying it in till my last game. I started on an easy map with hard opponents i wanted a challenge and have played on medium i thought it wouldn't be super hard. IT only took an hour before i was being attacked by other civilations who were already many tech trees above me and i was unable to build any defenses against them, this game was great till i had to waite to build basic defenses and with them attacking there was no way to stop it. so there are many pros to this game however watching your settlement get destroyed cause you only have a certain amount of ppl destroys this game. it was fun while it lasted. Expand
  17. Feb 21, 2013
    This game looks great, and there is plenty of different missions for you to do, as well as the multiplayer function. The building of a city becomes a little repetitive after a while... I tried playing with some friends, and we had to set up a VPN to get it going! That was highly frustrating. It really gave me a bad impression of the game. I am not sure it is worth full price, but maybe on a sale, give it a go. Expand
  18. May 25, 2014
    This is by far the best world builder I have ever played. I am a big fan of the Anno series as a whole, but this iteration takes the cake. The game play is natural and intuitive for beginners, yet still challenging for experienced players. The engine is brilliant, providing balanced game play throughout and it never crashes, as was the biggest problem with previous iterations of this series. Lastly, the graphics are magnificent. Even at mid to low quality settings the game's appearance is breath taking. In my hundreds of hours of playing I have probably spent a good 10-12 hours simply admiring what is presented in the game and what is presented. As a manager and aspiring urban planner, I found this game too good to be true. In the best way possible Anno 2070 has become an alternate reality for me and, given my interests, and vastly fulfilling creative outlet for economic management and urban design.

The game is extraordinarily complex. After six months of regular playing I am still learning new facts about the game and discovering things I have never noticed before, e.g.terrain details, interfacing options, commentary and technology. It helps that the developers regularly update and enhance the game. For instance, after having played Anno for about 3 months I noticed that the music was suddenly different. There was an entirely new track that I had never heard before. This was quite refreshing given that my expectation from other games is that you have a 30-60 minute soundtrack on a loop that never changes. As is the theme with all Anno games, the resource supply chains are by far the most intricate element of Anno 2070 except that they are arguably even better than what is in previous versions. Instead of supplying resources for essentially one civilization throughout you can and, at a certain stage of the game, must develop resources for up to 3 distinct civilizations. If you like creating and managing resources this is a game you must try.

A note on DRM. I played Sim City 5 and absolutely hated the DRM used in that game. It was intrusive, poorly planned and poorly executed. Ergo, I am a critic of DRM and generally steer clear of it. However, although many are scathing of the DRM component of this the game, I have found that it is not that bad. In fact, it is not bad at all. I would say that it is actually a boon for the game and motivates me to keep on playing given that there are new missions, campaigns and challenges that are regularly offered only because there is a regular internet connection. And, unlike some other games, you can start, play and save this game without an internet connection. Anno 2070 has demonstrated to me that a developer can plan and execute a DRM system that is mutually beneficial for both creator and user. If other game developers adopted Anno's approach the entire issue of DRM would likely diminish into obscurity. Do not be phased about what people say regarding DRM in Anno 2070. It is a reactionary response to the idea of DRM rather than a reflective commentary of how it actually is.

I have played many other games of this type (Civilization, Age of Empires, Tropico, Simcity, Rise of Nations, etc.) but this game exceeds them all insofar as you are motivated to play the game from start to finish. At no point is there a lull in game play or a point where you feel like you have "figured the game out" and it is just boring repetition for the same types of rewards. There is a level of repetition in the game, but it is a meaningful kind of repetition that is goal driven and exciting. This game is certainly not for everyone, but if you are like me and you like to get deeply involved in your gaming experience this is a game you must buy.
  19. Apr 20, 2014
    I love the Anno games, but uplay makes it so incredibly difficult to actually do so, 10 mins to download and install... about 20 minutes and counting to try and get past Uplay, which is a thing that exists for some reason
  20. Mar 25, 2013
    I'm quite new to Anno but I have discovered Anno 1404 2 years ago and loved the game, Anno 2070 does not dissapoint either. The depth of the game is incredible and the online features is also a plus rather than a minus. Anno 2070 has a very nice single player campaign and will keep you busy and intrigued for hours. A must buy for any Anno fan!
  21. Feb 20, 2014
    Anno 2070 is a huge, deep, beautiful, enjoyable strategy-building game, yet it's hindered by massive performance issues, which although nothing but an annoyance, really take away from what is otherwise the best Anno game by far.
  22. May 1, 2013
    Anno 2070, a decent recourse based strategy game and seemingly a direct clone of 1702AD. Though Anno is a good game in its own rights it is also anything other than innovative. Essentially you begin with what seems like some kind of “Mother ship” that looks like it just landed at some random island and now you need to colonize it with either hippie or corporate inhabitants and thrive. Fun for a while.
    So basically the story is that global warming has melted the icecaps and has made most of the planet, aside from the highest mountain peaks, completely uninhabitable. Where have I heard this one before? And wouldn’t the highest mountains be uninhabitable too. This game shows these areas as beautiful and the very view of inhabitable. Really, you would still be at the same height as it always was and the people would die from the cold. But I digress.
    There are two main factions; the Eden Initiative, the good guys I guess, and the Global Trust, or the bad guys. Each has its own high and low points like the Initiative are never short on recourses, but they expand slowly. And the Trust will quickly run out of recourses but will expand faster. Aside from those two things and the look of the buildings, there really is no difference between the two, in my opinion.
    The combat in the game is much like the combat in 1702AD, clunky and slow. Now I love strategy games. Sometimes I’ll get so hooked on Civilization that I lose track on the month that go by, but this system is just so bad. In fact, it’s downright boring. Though the graphics in the game are great and you can see every blade of grass as it gets ripped up and scarred by the rage of war there really isn’t much to the combat. They shoot and the one with greater numbers wins.
    There are several campaigns that add almost nothing to the game, actually most tend to just play the sandbox mode and get the experience of the scenarios in a single play-through instead of restarting every time. And there is almost no story or immersion to speak of. You know you’re playing a game entire time. There is no connection to the characters, no main character that I noticed, and poor endings.
    The only saving grace in this game is that it is a feast for the eyes and has an equally beautiful soundtrack.
    To be honest, this game should get a score of about 4, but due to the beautiful music models and textures in the game and that it does have a good amount of replay-ability, I have to give it a 5. It is an average game with an average experience. Don’t go tripping over the strategy fan-boys to get this one, but it is worth getting if not for early gameplay.
  23. May 10, 2014
    So my wife and I share computers and both thought we would enjoy Anno 2070 - the graphics looked nice and we both enjoyed 1404. How foolishly naive we were.

Firstly, you get 3 installations. After that you get to buy the whole game again. The very concept of which is so bad it's worth reading again.

You get 3 installations of the game. Hardware update, hard drive crash and reinstall,
    having multiple computers in the home... tough luck. You get 3, over the total time you own/play the game.

Second, you get 1 profile. Ever. So if my wife and I both want to play we share one profile, one progression, one set of upgrades, one set of choices. The best we could do is have one of us play then the other load and replay missions the other already played.

I have never dealt with any company selling any product or service that treated me, as a consumer of their goods, with such utter contempt. I get DRM. I don't complain about it - they deserve paid for the things they create and sell. Yet the way it's handled on this game is over the top. It's gratuitous - it's just so Ubisoft. To take a great game with some great ideas and just stuff a raised middle finger in your face for buying it. Like they're saying 'HA! See if you can still enjoy it NOW, sucker!' We got 4 hours out of it. There won't be any more and I've managed to talk 3 people out of buying it, hopefully this review saves anyone else from making the same mistake.

At least I've still got 1404. As someone who's given Ubisoft hundreds of dollars for games this was the last one. The game gets a 2 because of the potential but you can't rate a game highly when it is brimming with so much contempt for its would-be consumers.
  24. Nov 6, 2013
    This game is fantastic. When i do play this i cannot stop for hours on end. Strongly recommend this for city sim builders. This game is as deep as the player can go. I cannot play long before i want to start again and want to do even better
  25. Sep 16, 2013
    One of the most relaxing games I've played with beautiful graphics and sound. A city building game with a light flavouring of RTS huge replay potential.
  26. Apr 14, 2014
    Yes, ive read all the reports in gaming magazines and also in User reports. Some people have written, that the idyll in the last games of the series is lost. Yes it is. But the idyll was replaced by FASZINATION. When you see your big metropolis in the game, surrounded by airports and nuclear power plants, then YOU (in this case I) are impressed with the big particularities of this word.

Sorry for translation errors.
  27. Jan 29, 2014
    Good game in general. Great Graphics and the music so gooood!!! But after playing more than 48 hours, I was tired of always have to do the same thing. AI always asking to do a job for them gets me boring because always the same stuff. Management is not so bad but after building the tech lab, academy and done all of the research in it (And build the Main Building). Seem to have no more stuff to do than build houses and have my citizens happy about there needs.

Buy it for 20$ but not worth 50$
    JoceDoIt
  28. Apr 23, 2014
    This Game is Has both amazing graphics that completely match the scenario the game depicts, Extreme Depthness to the game play and Plot, and Very Solid game play as well.

To start, They introduce you to a plot that not only is very good, but Touches directly on some of the most major problems facing the planet today. You have two well developed and thought Out factions in the game: Eden
    Initiative (EI) which strives for The Sustainable cities, and Global Trust (GT) Which strives for Expansion and Economy. You also get a whole host of supporting factions such as the main one called S.A.A.T (Technology faction). The very nature of the plot adds so much depthness to it.

The Game play is remarkably good Because It is very well developed and is a excellent combination of City Building game play. and Strategy game play. Not only can you develop a gleaming city on an island, you can conquer or destroy other peoples cities as well, and/or expand to other islands! This game play is just incredibly fun!
  29. May 2, 2014
    I think this game is good and it's so fun the graphic is well, and this is the best strategy game ever. But you need big RAM, and fast processor speed
  30. Jun 19, 2014
    I got this game for $7.99 (with all expansion bits) on Steam. Worth $8. Building/economy/environment/happiness/military interplays make this interesting. Still need a book or podcast running, but it's not bad. Worth $8. The controls are NOT intuitive, but there are story guided quest chains that slowly push you into each aspect if you like. I'd give it an 8 but its persistent online crap is ridiculous. This crap should be illegal. Expand
  31. Jun 25, 2014
    Anno is one of the only coop city builder game, and therefore I decided to give it a go. The futuristic style of Anno 2070 is setting me back but the gameplay in the first 12 hours is addictive. Then it gets repetitive

The graphics are not as good as SimCity or even Banished, but the gameplay is unique. The trade routes have to be mastered to go far in the game, as you can never grow
    all the things you need on your starting island, and that's the main point of the game. Once you set up your trade routes, you're pretty much done.

The campaign is not very attractive, I stopped after a few missions, and the multiplayer can be difficult if people start to grief (aka buying all your resources at your deck).

Again it could have been better, some missions take ages to complete, some require that you destruct a building to build it again, because you did it before the quest asked you too, which might be a bit frustrating, but the game is pretty good

Conclusion : Do not expect to spend more than 30 hours on it, but you'll have a good time. And if you don't like the futuristic look, there is a 1404 and Venice version
  32. Aug 1, 2014
    "Anno 2070" has some enhanced features that did not exist in its predecessors. Overall, it is a great experience. Of course, war in "Anno" games is not interesting, but after all it is a tycoon game and as that it masters its genre easily. Pretty graphics and an intriguing background in post-apocalyptic earth. If you like the rest of the series, you 'll like this one, too. Do not expect fancy wars or complicated diplomacy, though; in "Anno" it's all about building a city as well as controlling and exploiting resources in general. Expand
  33. Jul 29, 2014
    Do NOT buy this game, or any game released by Ubisoft. Uplay is required, which most of the time crashes and when it doesn't, it keeps patching and updating itself constantly. Basically the only way to get it to work correctly is to get a cracked version of the game. This is the reason why people pirate games, when you buy them, you get screwed over by **** DRM and random software like Uplay.

I made the huge mistake of buying it, and now I can't get rid of it. I made another huge mistake when I thought I'd give it another change, but after 20 minutes of Uplay updating, patching and crashing I just gave up.

Save yourself and stay away from Ubisoft products.
  34. Aug 2, 2014
    I normally don't give bad reviews, but this game was infuriating.

I'm an avid gamer, but Anno 2070 is an INSULT to gaming. It is so buggy and half-finished that the first campaign doesn't even work properly and the DRM is INCREDIBLY frustrating to deal with.

Once you manage to work your way past the massive amounts of bugs and get through the DRM, HOURS later you finally figure out
    that the game has no real tutorial, so you stuck just clicking around randomly.

Sad, sad, sad, example of a game that could have been great but FTW.

Putting aside minor hindrances, the game is a pleasant revival of the legendary franchise, displaying high replayability, relative to recent games. [February 2012]
  2. Feb 29, 2012
    A significantly more accessible setting makes this latest Anno a must play for all city management fans. [March 2012, p.52]
    The leap into the future was a good move by Ubisoft, enabling the combination of the formula already established with elements of science fiction.