• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 17, 2011
7.0

1. Dec 3, 2011
    Underwater cities, massive air/sea battles, and sushi... oh my. Just like the rest of the Anno series, this game presents hours of appeal and challenge for all style of sim/strategy gamers. It can be as easy or tough as you wish to make it, and that's not even messing with the game settings. You can chose to be one of 2 factions, or eventually in your game progression take on aspectsUnderwater cities, massive air/sea battles, and sushi... oh my. Just like the rest of the Anno series, this game presents hours of appeal and challenge for all style of sim/strategy gamers. It can be as easy or tough as you wish to make it, and that's not even messing with the game settings. You can chose to be one of 2 factions, or eventually in your game progression take on aspects (fully if you wish) of both AND a sub faction! And the truly fun part about it in my opinion is that it's not just about throwing up tons of production buildings and building a massive army to conquer the world... actually, wait... strike that, it can be about that! Or you can balance trade and diplomacy and have allies fight for you. Or not even fight at all!

The touch of balancing an ecosystem at the same time is fantastic! Fantastic in the fact that you don't have to necessarily balance the ecosystem at all if you don't want. Whether you don't mind strip mining an entire land down to bedrock to grab as much resources as possible early on or tactfully balance your production and resources for the long run without having to pickup and move around in search of more is really fun.

This is one of the truly first games I've ever played where the replayability is so high because you can completely tweak the way you play even when your halfway through a game already. This game is well worth it to purchase off the get-go!
  2. Nov 23, 2011
    The game is as addictive as Annos always are. It is great for city-building/management games fans: nice graphics and always something to tweak or improve. I should complain that much of the game is recycled from Anno 1404 and while there are many new things, essentially the game feels much like future total conversion of 1404. Other things I'm a bit disappointed is the lack of properThe game is as addictive as Annos always are. It is great for city-building/management games fans: nice graphics and always something to tweak or improve. I should complain that much of the game is recycled from Anno 1404 and while there are many new things, essentially the game feels much like future total conversion of 1404. Other things I'm a bit disappointed is the lack of proper AI-opponents in continuous play. Instead you only get NPC-type third parties that do expand and interact with you. I'm not yet 100% sure if I like them a bit less or much less than "real" AIs.

Overall I find myself spending hours and hours of time playing this game which should be enough to speak for itself. This game is hardly innovative as almost 90% of the content has been seen in previous Anno-games in some form or another but it is high quality and well refined.
  3. Nov 22, 2011
    New to the series, I just bought the game on Steam. I love city building and don't know how I missed the series but Blue Byte caught my attention. They made the original Settlers which was an all-time favorite with all its short comings. Anyhow, the only bad thing about the game is that I just played for 10 hours straight and have no idea how I will wake up for work tomorrow. JustNew to the series, I just bought the game on Steam. I love city building and don't know how I missed the series but Blue Byte caught my attention. They made the original Settlers which was an all-time favorite with all its short comings. Anyhow, the only bad thing about the game is that I just played for 10 hours straight and have no idea how I will wake up for work tomorrow. Just fabulous! It is intuitive, easy, and deep as a city builder can get. I suggest you just play Continuous Game rather than the missions. Have fun! Expand
  4. Nov 28, 2011
    I made an account here just to review this game. I never played any Anno games in this series and only played this one, but this game is really something. The features of World President voting and Current & World Events are not implemented in other RTS's on the market right now. Everything in the world affects your game! The graphic is beautiful, the music is enchanting, and the game-playI made an account here just to review this game. I never played any Anno games in this series and only played this one, but this game is really something. The features of World President voting and Current & World Events are not implemented in other RTS's on the market right now. Everything in the world affects your game! The graphic is beautiful, the music is enchanting, and the game-play will keep you up for hours just like the Civilization series. This is not a traditional RTS game where you can build units really fast and go crush the enemies. It is more than that, and it makes the word 'strategy' more important than ever. Multiplayer is hard because this game takes time, but there is a save and load system that works for multiplayer so you can shoot up a map alone, and then have someone join you later in multiplayer. Please buy this game and support Blue Byte, even though we all know Ubisoft DRM policy is ridiculous. This game is a real gem and I have not seen anything like it before. There are lots of things you can do in the game and lots of NPC's to interact with and lots of special items that you can discover. You will not regret buying this game, because it will makes you really happy when you see your islands fill with bustling futuristic cities, pretty worker robots deliver your goods, and your production buildings busy producing things for your cities. The underwater world is also very pretty and crucial to your nation's development. Everything about this game is great!!! Expand
  5. Dec 2, 2011
    I've only made an account at metacritic to let you know Anno 2070 is a true gem. It is not only looking sexy, but it is also deep, involved and relaxing, at the same time. A perfect remedy to a busy working day. When I play this game, I feel happy, chill and just want to play more. Frankly that's more than enough for me!
    I give it a 10, because it worths it. Anno2070 is the underdog I was
    I give it a 10, because it worths it. Anno2070 is the underdog I was always looking for many years...
  6. Dec 5, 2011
    If we are lovers of the game "management", this title should not be missed on our shelves. We are in 2070, the glaciers have melted and the water has risen submerging much of the globe surface and leaving only strips of land and islands. We find and manage to colonize these islands. We can choose 3 main factions: environmentalists, scientists, industrialists and technology. We buildIf we are lovers of the game "management", this title should not be missed on our shelves. We are in 2070, the glaciers have melted and the water has risen submerging much of the globe surface and leaving only strips of land and islands. We find and manage to colonize these islands. We can choose 3 main factions: environmentalists, scientists, industrialists and technology. We build cities, extract resources, improve technology and colonize other islands. We will also build underwater laboratory to extract resources from the seabed, open trade routes with other players, and once colonized other islands, to shift resources from island to island (or as-game, for those who played, you had to move resources from planet to planet). Graphics very beautiful, with buildings and structures very well animated and imaginative. Very interesting that the online community game, in which (in addition to multiplayer) every time we vote for the governor's World, which give different benefits depending on the candidate. Once all players have voted the world, all of the privileges of the governor goderemo winning until the next elections. The campaign is not fabulous, but there still so much fun to do as a free construction. I was likely to buy it, but once I played there are more detached. Outstanding, very special and innovative. Expand
  7. Dec 7, 2011
    Stunning graphics and even more complex and enjoyable than Anno 1404. Though, I think they should have added another revolutionary element to the game to really make it stand out next to Anno 1404.
    Adding up, an excellent game with amazing graphics that is definetely worth buying!
  8. Jan 30, 2013
    From the very first time you load the game youll get so caught up in the story and in the graphics, this game is just beautiful. Iv never played this game or any of the others in the series before and was entangled in the game play, i loved the way the ships looked, the way the building looked and how the ppl ran free through your island. I started on the very basic and worked my way upFrom the very first time you load the game youll get so caught up in the story and in the graphics, this game is just beautiful. Iv never played this game or any of the others in the series before and was entangled in the game play, i loved the way the ships looked, the way the building looked and how the ppl ran free through your island. I started on the very basic and worked my way up and was enjoying it in till my last game. I started on an easy map with hard opponents i wanted a challenge and have played on medium i thought it wouldn't be super hard. IT only took an hour before i was being attacked by other civilations who were already many tech trees above me and i was unable to build any defenses against them, this game was great till i had to waite to build basic defenses and with them attacking there was no way to stop it. so there are many pros to this game however watching your settlement get destroyed cause you only have a certain amount of ppl destroys this game. it was fun while it lasted. Expand
  9. Jan 31, 2013
    I have spent over 200 hours playing this game and would never take those hours back. It is visually pleasant, moderately challenging and a joy to see a futuristic civilisation grow and prosper. The fact that there is nothing in the resource production lines that seems remotely impossible really catches me.
  10. Nov 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am new to the Anno series and this is an awesome game. I have played another city building game simcity and this is much better than that. These games are in essence simulations of reality and a game derives its richness of content by incorporating its complexity and that is one of the foremost reason this game is better than simcity. Simcity is far lacking in detail and has been essentially dumbed down. Anno offers a richer and detailed city building game. Another factor is Anno has advanced strategy element which goes beyond the limited city planning and logistics. One has to at the same time handle economic and military affairs arising due to interaction with cities belonging to other factions. Another factor is the game is graphically mesmerizing, they are truly a treat for the eyes. To conclude I would say this; I have played a lot of city building games and this is quite easily the best one. Expand
  11. Jul 13, 2012
    Great game. Good graphics. Fun tech tree. The people rating it low are DRM haters who dont know how to use computers. The rest just aren't very good at playing video games that require alot of skill. Great game 10/10.
  12. Nov 24, 2011
    Despite the complete permutation from past to the future, Anno 2070 has lived up to its expectations, most definitely. Transition to future is going to evolve new class of fans as well. There is always room for improvement, though. Some drawbacks are there, such as really short campaign, certain (should have been) improvements in interface and rest of the game which could be better butDespite the complete permutation from past to the future, Anno 2070 has lived up to its expectations, most definitely. Transition to future is going to evolve new class of fans as well. There is always room for improvement, though. Some drawbacks are there, such as really short campaign, certain (should have been) improvements in interface and rest of the game which could be better but still you get that typical Anno-Feeling (ah....I feel home!). Let's keep our fingers crossed for the Patches & add-On(s), hope they won't take too long. With superb graphics, fantastic online features, its a worthy successor of Anno Series. Expand
  13. Dec 29, 2011
    I had to register to Metacritic only because of this game! Anything below an 8 for this game is unfair. It's is amazingly fun and it captured me from the first seconds I started the game. Already in the menu I loved the game. Sure - they could have made the campaign better. I would like the story to be more immense and be more about Ecos against Tycoons. The campaign was like a longI had to register to Metacritic only because of this game! Anything below an 8 for this game is unfair. It's is amazingly fun and it captured me from the first seconds I started the game. Already in the menu I loved the game. Sure - they could have made the campaign better. I would like the story to be more immense and be more about Ecos against Tycoons. The campaign was like a long tutorial. But the game mechanics, the graphics, the message and everything around the game in itself (like voting and statistics and other online functionalities) is awesome. This game easily deserves a 10. Now I wait with great anticipation for an expansion. Expand
  14. Mar 7, 2012
    This is my personal experience of Anno 2070 and what I hope to be an honest review of the game. The first thing that stands out is the graphics. It is beautiful, the water looks crystal clear and the scenery looks pretty. The next thing that I find fantastic is the music. An ambient soundtrack which blends in perfectly with the gameplay. It's a soundtrack I like to listen to outside of theThis is my personal experience of Anno 2070 and what I hope to be an honest review of the game. The first thing that stands out is the graphics. It is beautiful, the water looks crystal clear and the scenery looks pretty. The next thing that I find fantastic is the music. An ambient soundtrack which blends in perfectly with the gameplay. It's a soundtrack I like to listen to outside of the game to relax. It's that nice. The game itself is very well presented and is constantly updated with extra missions monthly, and a political system where different factions can be elected to provide bonuses within your game. For example, an eco-friendly character will provide bonuses to sustainability and your farms, while an industrial will provide bonuses to your production lines. The campaign itself is a little bit mundane, and I've tended to stay away from it in favour of the special missions and the continuous game modes.

All in all ~ it is a great game to play, and you won't go wrong with this if Civilisation-style games are your bread and butter.
  15. Dec 25, 2012
    Anno2070 is a god game. If you are a fan of Dawn of Discovery and want the futuristic version of that game then you'll simply fall in love. However, the game IS A CLONE of its predecessor. You wont find much new and innovating gameplay mechanics. The underwater stuff is a modified version of the basic island settlement and the only real new system is the envrionmental effects. If you gotAnno2070 is a god game. If you are a fan of Dawn of Discovery and want the futuristic version of that game then you'll simply fall in love. However, the game IS A CLONE of its predecessor. You wont find much new and innovating gameplay mechanics. The underwater stuff is a modified version of the basic island settlement and the only real new system is the envrionmental effects. If you got your colonization fill with Dawn of Discovery, you will find nothing new here. Expand
  16. Apr 30, 2012
    The way a RTS City manager simulation is supposed to be. This game is an eloquent merger of RTS with Breathtaking graphical prowess. The level of detail in the AI is engaging and ensures many days of no-sleepers.

The DRM is Draconian; so much that It punished legitimate gamers that actually don't mind paying for such a gem.
  17. Oct 13, 2013
    Absolutely one of the greatest city building games ever to grace the PC. Exceptionally highly recommended to anyone who likes this genre. Beautiful to look at, beautiful to play.. intricate.. it's got it all.
  18. Mar 25, 2012
    The game feels and plays like an ANNO game, which is nice to see. While new stuff of course have been added from earlier installments they've been loyal to the the series.
    However while the game is by no means a bad game, it does get boring very fast, as there's no possibility for customizing your city in our image. Once you figure out how the economy works, you'll find yourself building the same way every single map, no matter the assignment.

--------------------- If you're a loyal fan of the series you'll most likely get some good hours out of the game, but if you're new to the game you might want to pick up one of the older game first to see if it's what you're looking for.
  19. May 31, 2013
    Beautiful, challenging, fun. ANNO 2070 mixes the best parts of RTS and city simulation. I have spent an easy 200 hours on this game and I am still playing it. A few downsides, it has a steep learning curve if you haven't played any ANNO games before and it is a time sink.
  20. Apr 3, 2012
    I picked this game up last week during a Steam sale and I can already tell I'm going to get my moneys worth out of it. The graphics are sharp, the play is smooth, and the process of building a prosperous civilization is so long and complex that even when you win a game you come away knowing you could have done dozens of things better. I do have a few complaints about the game butI picked this game up last week during a Steam sale and I can already tell I'm going to get my moneys worth out of it. The graphics are sharp, the play is smooth, and the process of building a prosperous civilization is so long and complex that even when you win a game you come away knowing you could have done dozens of things better. I do have a few complaints about the game but fortunately they're not anything that makes the game unplayable. Worthless Tutorial/Encyclopedia: There's really no explanation anywhere of how various game mechanics interact. Eventually you figure it out on your own but it's a slow, tedious process. In-Game Missions: Mostly fetch quests, highly repetitive, they get tedious fairly quick. Resource Managing: You spend a lot of time just staring at your warehouse inventory trying to tell if you're running out of a good. The game could use some sort of intuitive graph or pie chart system to help the player plan for future resource requirements. This last thing didn't bother me at all because I don't play games like this for a combat experience but.. Weak Combat: You can build 2 warships and I think 1 or 2 warplanes is all. Combat is simple as in you tell your boat to attack another boat and then you sit there watching bullets fly for a minute until one of them explodes. Overall it's a fun game, at least as fun as the Civilization series (to me). Expand
  21. Feb 5, 2012
    Excellent game. I was new to the series when I started and got hooked. It could use a little more polish in introducing new players to the game, or to introduce some game mechanics - especially those who haven't played the previous version. Campaign does a good job of explaining most mechanics, but for a game as deep as this one it could have done more. For that, I give it a 9/10. MostExcellent game. I was new to the series when I started and got hooked. It could use a little more polish in introducing new players to the game, or to introduce some game mechanics - especially those who haven't played the previous version. Campaign does a good job of explaining most mechanics, but for a game as deep as this one it could have done more. For that, I give it a 9/10. Most critic reviews I've read accurately reflect this game, more so than others. Expand
  22. Apr 17, 2012
    I have enjoyed Anno 2070 for many, many hours now, and it has not once disappointed. The graphics are wonderfully rich and vibrant and the game-play is quite enjoyable. At first I was a bit confused about the campaign missions, as there didn't seem to be a whole lot of content there. However, it's important to understand that the main purpose of the campaigns is to expose the player to allI have enjoyed Anno 2070 for many, many hours now, and it has not once disappointed. The graphics are wonderfully rich and vibrant and the game-play is quite enjoyable. At first I was a bit confused about the campaign missions, as there didn't seem to be a whole lot of content there. However, it's important to understand that the main purpose of the campaigns is to expose the player to all the inner workings of the game. By the time I was on the last few campaign missions, I couldn't wait to start a continuous game and really explore the game. I also had a good laugh when the game told me I had played continuously for more than two hours, and that maybe I should stretch my legs a bit. The continuous game mode has many options for you to tweak your experience, from an easy and relaxing city building and exploration focused game, to a fast-paced race for resources while fighting off pirates. Overall, Anno 2070 is a fantastic game, and one not to missâ Expand
  23. Mar 24, 2012
    Beautiful and addictive sum up Anno 2070. Where the game really shines is in the presentation of the simulation. This is one of only a handful of games Iâ
  24. Mar 28, 2012
    Definitely the best Anno game so far. The campaign is really well written, and it takes multiplayer to new level. I've already racked up 90 hours playing it.
  25. Apr 27, 2012
    A game whose graphics is satisfactory, however poorer than 1404 in my opinion, due to rather low LOD and not-so-good looking vegetation. I appreciate the deep-sea environment, quite original, but the islands feel rather blank as compared to the ones in 1404, which were much more populated with diverse entities (i know, fits not in the game's thematics, future and all that, but a compromiseA game whose graphics is satisfactory, however poorer than 1404 in my opinion, due to rather low LOD and not-so-good looking vegetation. I appreciate the deep-sea environment, quite original, but the islands feel rather blank as compared to the ones in 1404, which were much more populated with diverse entities (i know, fits not in the game's thematics, future and all that, but a compromise ?).

The sound is top-notch, but the voice-acting is dull, especially EVE's, i had to turn it down to a minimum.

The gameplay is fair for this kind of game. The quests continue in the line of 1404, although a bit dull, repetitive and way too easy. The AI sadly suffers from the same issues as 1404 in my opinion:
    -the easy AI is plain dumb and easy manouvrable
    -the medium AI is boring
    -the hard AI is suicidal, cheating and not suited for any real-life simulation of sorts
    Replayability value ? Quite limited, not too much to do.

All in all, a not-so-worthy successor of 1404.
  26. Jun 9, 2012
    This is game is not for everyone, but I found it to be intriguing and challenging. But it was a good kind of challenge, made you think more strategically and the Eden Initiative and the Global Trust were perfect factions given the situation of the game.
  27. Jul 1, 2012
    It's a really good game that adds up on the old Anno games. The time change doesn't change anything in the Anno experience you get delivered. Every single "Endless-Game" lasts really really long and you catch yourself playing with some friends playing 6-8 hours in a row and joking about the messages "You already played 8 hours! You should take a break!" that appear every few hours ^^
  28. Jul 20, 2012
    This game is more than a little time consuming, but the story isn't bad, and the graphics are better. However, this game hardly has any replay value other than simply building (utterly beautiful) cities in continuous mode. To extend on my earlier comment if you're new to Anno (I was) you'll spend hours messing around and scrounging for tutorials and digging through that laughable PDF of aThis game is more than a little time consuming, but the story isn't bad, and the graphics are better. However, this game hardly has any replay value other than simply building (utterly beautiful) cities in continuous mode. To extend on my earlier comment if you're new to Anno (I was) you'll spend hours messing around and scrounging for tutorials and digging through that laughable PDF of a tutorial. After a couple hours of that well... lets just say I was a little... volatile. Fortunately for my keyboard (because I was about to beat the hell out of it) I found a great series of tutorials on YouTube by NanosuitNinja. Watched a couple of videos and finally figured out how to actually play it. Once you've gotten that far it's really quite simple, and not to mention quite enjoyable, but after a couple of days it goes from joy to nausea as the sheer amount of repetition is well... nauseating. In the end this isn't a game you want to play often (or pay $50 for), more like play once, burn through the campaign, and build a (half) city and leave it in the bottom of the drawer for a couple months. [Tutorial link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYFLhADYd3k&feature=related] Expand
  29. Mar 25, 2013
    I'm quite new to Anno but I have discovered Anno 1404 2 years ago and loved the game, Anno 2070 does not dissapoint either. The depth of the game is incredible and the online features is also a plus rather than a minus. Anno 2070 has a very nice single player campaign and will keep you busy and intrigued for hours. A must buy for any Anno fan!
  30. Feb 20, 2014
    Anno 2070 is a huge, deep, beautiful, enjoyable strategy-building game, yet it's hindered by massive performance issues, which although nothing but an annoyance, really take away from what is otherwise the best Anno game by far.
  31. Nov 6, 2013
    This game is fantastic. When i do play this i cannot stop for hours on end. Strongly recommend this for city sim builders. This game is as deep as the player can go. I cannot play long before i want to start again and want to do even better
  32. Sep 16, 2013
    One of the most relaxing games I've played with beautiful graphics and sound. A city building game with a light flavouring of RTS huge replay potential.
  33. Apr 14, 2014
    Yes, ive read all the reports in gaming magazines and also in User reports. Some people have written, that the idyll in the last games of the series is lost. Yes it is. But the idyll was replaced by FASZINATION. When you see your big metropolis in the game, surrounded by airports and nuclear power plants, then YOU (in this case I) are impressed with the big particularities of this word.Yes, ive read all the reports in gaming magazines and also in User reports. Some people have written, that the idyll in the last games of the series is lost. Yes it is. But the idyll was replaced by FASZINATION. When you see your big metropolis in the game, surrounded by airports and nuclear power plants, then YOU (in this case I) are impressed with the big particularities of this word.

Sorry for translation errors.
  34. Apr 23, 2014
    This Game is Has both amazing graphics that completely match the scenario the game depicts, Extreme Depthness to the game play and Plot, and Very Solid game play as well.

To start, They introduce you to a plot that not only is very good, but Touches directly on some of the most major problems facing the planet today. You have two well developed and thought Out factions in the game: Eden Initiative (EI) which strives for The Sustainable cities, and Global Trust (GT) Which strives for Expansion and Economy. You also get a whole host of supporting factions such as the main one called S.A.A.T (Technology faction). The very nature of the plot adds so much depthness to it.

The Game play is remarkably good Because It is very well developed and is a excellent combination of City Building game play. and Strategy game play. Not only can you develop a gleaming city on an island, you can conquer or destroy other peoples cities as well, and/or expand to other islands! This game play is just incredibly fun!
  35. May 2, 2014
    I think this game is good and it's so fun the graphic is well, and this is the best strategy game ever. But you need big RAM, and fast processor speed
  36. Jun 19, 2014
    I got this game for $7.99 (with all expansion bits) on Steam. Worth $8.

Building/economy/environment/happiness/military interplays make this interesting. Still need a book or podcast running, but it's not bad. Worth $8. The controls are NOT intuitive, but there are story guided quest chains that slowly push you into each aspect if you like. I'd give it an 8 but its persistent
    I got this game for $7.99 (with all expansion bits) on Steam. Worth $8.

I'd give it an 8 but its persistent online crap is ridiculous. This crap should be illegal.
  37. Jun 25, 2014
    Anno is one of the only coop city builder game, and therefore I decided to give it a go. The futuristic style of Anno 2070 is setting me back but the gameplay in the first 12 hours is addictive. Then it gets repetitive

The graphics are not as good as SimCity or even Banished, but the gameplay is unique. The trade routes have to be mastered to go far in the game, as you can never grow all the things you need on your starting island, and that's the main point of the game. Once you set up your trade routes, you're pretty much done.

The campaign is not very attractive, I stopped after a few missions, and the multiplayer can be difficult if people start to grief (aka buying all your resources at your deck).

Again it could have been better, some missions take ages to complete, some require that you destruct a building to build it again, because you did it before the quest asked you too, which might be a bit frustrating, but the game is pretty good

Conclusion : Do not expect to spend more than 30 hours on it, but you'll have a good time. And if you don't like the futuristic look, there is a 1404 and Venice version
  38. Nov 3, 2014
    More or less the same as Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)... the construction menu seems a little bit more organized, but shares same exact mechanics. The graphics are still awesome, but based on the future. Personally I miss some features from the original game, so I will rate it slightly lower.
  39. Mar 10, 2015
    Great resource management, gets tedious after a while though. Still enough content and researche things to do to keep you wanting to unlock that next step. I've easily sank tons of hours in this game. Expansion was also fun.

Great part about this game were the global events, which added stuff to do after the campaign, scenarios were done with. I didn't really play multiplayer so

I didn't really play multiplayer so can't comment on that.
  40. Feb 4, 2015
    Not a bad game, but easily the worst installment in an otherwise above average series of games. This particular game takes you to a slightly futuristic world with underwater cultivation is a breeze and energy shields exist. For the most part however, the world looks like modern day with oil tycoons, eco friendly people and technologists. You start with a ship, settle an island, and build aNot a bad game, but easily the worst installment in an otherwise above average series of games. This particular game takes you to a slightly futuristic world with underwater cultivation is a breeze and energy shields exist. For the most part however, the world looks like modern day with oil tycoons, eco friendly people and technologists. You start with a ship, settle an island, and build a city. Each step in your cities progress requires you fulfill the peoples needs be it food, entertainment, or plastic plates. This is how all Anno games play so nothing new here... and that is the big problem. There is no innovation in this game whatsoever. Graphic quality is no better than the previous game (Anno 1404) and they actually removed some very big features that make the game a lot less fun.

I wont go into every problem with the game but I will highlight the two big deal breakers which cost his game a lot of points from my score.

1) Competitive AI has been completely removed and replaced with a cheating AI. Single player games are no longer fun so if you are not an online person (like myself), this game will suck the big one. In Anno 1404, the AI actually played like a real player and did many of the things a real person might do. It had to settle islands, set up an economy, build defenses and it occasionally attacked. In Anno 2070, it simply cheats. It has no economy, it has unlimited resources from the start, and only settles islands as a matter of aesthetics even though it does not need any of them. It is boring and not fun because there is no longer any strategy. The only way to win is to build a fleet and take them out or wait forever to buy out their shares of an island and take it over (because they are too dumb to buy them back fast enough despite infinite resources...) In older Anno games you had more strategies such as hoarding specific resources by claiming islands of a certain type.

Next, no land combat... yep you can no longer land on an island and slowly take out major resources or just take over the island. Again, since this is gone, there is a lot less strategy to the game.

Last, the Ark stinks. Its basically a big cheat and makes an already super easy game into a ludicrous joke. When you equip the ark with an upgrade, it applies to everything in the game and some items are just insanely overpowered like global ship speed increases. Other make the game even more trivial such as shortening the amount of time you need to wait to buy out island shares (normally about 9-10 minutes if memory serves me which is also boring and slow).

As for new additions to make the game better... well you can now settle underwater islands... but it really is not different than any other island except you cannot have a city down there. Submarines are just like ships. They did add airplanes so that was new. Other than that it is boring. I recommend you stick to older Anno games like 1404 or others. Avoid this one.
  41. Mar 14, 2015
    The game crashes repeatedly, which makes it a very frustrating experience. Uplay does not work and I would avoid purchasing another game that requires Uplay.
  42. Mar 9, 2015
    This is a very good game. It's immersive, it's addictive (but not to the point that you just stare at the screen and watch everything play out), it's fun, it's beautiful it's even pretty challenging, but I would almost say that it's not worth getting without the Deep Sea expansion, which allows underwater plateaus to be colonized. These, accompanied by the NPCs make the game really great.This is a very good game. It's immersive, it's addictive (but not to the point that you just stare at the screen and watch everything play out), it's fun, it's beautiful it's even pretty challenging, but I would almost say that it's not worth getting without the Deep Sea expansion, which allows underwater plateaus to be colonized. These, accompanied by the NPCs make the game really great. The NPCs all have pretty innovative personalities, and while you can usually get on the good side of a lot of them (i.e. Tilda Jorgenson), some hate your guts, such as Thor Strindberg.

These NPCs also occur in the campaign, which, although can take a while is generally rewarding and you feel a sense of accomplishment on them. There is one glitch, which, even though I have not encountered, is something to watch out for. If you destroy an enemy nuclear power plant, that enemy somehow becomes impossible to defeat.

On normal mode, which I mostly play, at the beginning, you really need to be wary of the NPCs, but in the end game, with enough military power, they're pretty easy to beat.

MANY complain about the awful Ubisoft launcher, the Uplay launcher, and I can see why. It's not super intuitive, it's INCREDIBLY slow, and also crashes a lot, but once it opens the game, the game runs smoothly (of course, I have a gaming computer, but that's what I got). I also found that it was initially hard to set up. I found the trick was to buy the game from Steam, download it, try to launch it and create a Uplay account, then, when it crashes, go and delete the Uplay files from you x86 programs folder, then go to the Ubisoft website and download the launcher from there. After all of that, launch the game from Steam, which will open the Uplay launcher and allow you to launch Anno 2070.
    The problems I had with the launcher don't affect my score.

Some improvements I might suggest is that right now the game is very MT. It's 2070! Sure, you can colonize underwater plateaus, but you can't even go to space. There isn't massive futuristic energy generation with possible exception of the undersea geothermal power plant, you still use OIL AND COAL, and the ships are pretty slow. Other than these things great game, would definitely recommend buying.

Putting aside minor hindrances, the game is a pleasant revival of the legendary franchise, displaying high replayability, relative to recent games. [February 2012]
  2. Feb 29, 2012
    A significantly more accessible setting makes this latest Anno a must play for all city management fans. [March 2012, p.52]
    The leap into the future was a good move by Ubisoft, enabling the combination of the formula already established with elements of science fiction.