• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 17, 2011
7.1

1. Nov 27, 2016
    They must have paid a lot of SEO marketing companies in poor economies to swamp review sites. This game was tedious with little content. I was genuinely surprise when I saw the review here after some years. This game makes a mockery of Meta Critic and shows that it is still cost effect to swamp a review site. The game is, at best, mediocre. It has no depth and you soon realise you sawThey must have paid a lot of SEO marketing companies in poor economies to swamp review sites. This game was tedious with little content. I was genuinely surprise when I saw the review here after some years. This game makes a mockery of Meta Critic and shows that it is still cost effect to swamp a review site. The game is, at best, mediocre. It has no depth and you soon realise you saw it all after a single day (2 if your not a power player). Expand
  2. Jul 2, 2015
    There seems to be a typo in the title of this game. It reads "Anno 2070" but should read "Still Unplayable DRM in 2015." At least, I assume the game is an unplayable game simulator, that simulates paying for a game, then being told you don't really own it, but are merely renting it until your computer breaks or you buy a new one. Then, Ubisoft takes the game back, and you have to buy itThere seems to be a typo in the title of this game. It reads "Anno 2070" but should read "Still Unplayable DRM in 2015." At least, I assume the game is an unplayable game simulator, that simulates paying for a game, then being told you don't really own it, but are merely renting it until your computer breaks or you buy a new one. Then, Ubisoft takes the game back, and you have to buy it again, as the corporate DRM takes away your right to play your product. That's if the forced-online additional layer of DRM is working...the servers are frequently down, or crash mid-game (Single-player? Its an online all-the-time party at Ubisoft!). The game itself is probably great. But if you buy this product, you hurt other customers too, not just yourself, because you help send the message to corporations that this type of behavior is ok. It is not. Don't buy this crap. Expand
  3. Jan 19, 2013
    Ubisoft's wicked DRM strikes again. I can't be arsed to rant about it. But I'm sure if you dig through the zeros you'll find something similar.

To people giving 10s to offset zeros, if the game is broken to the point of unplayability that's a zero; don't try and drag the score back up again.
  4. Dec 22, 2013
    The DRM is more challenging than the game itself...it takes an eternity before one can actually play it. And then there's the 3 activation limit. Cannot support this sort of intrusive anti customer mentality.
  5. Mar 9, 2013
    Bought it on Steam but apparently Ubisoft wanted to try their own program to invade our privacy. These idiot companies will continue to push us with the assumption they can do whatever they want. I had to log in 3 times with different logins only to find out that Steam screwed their customers by allowing Ubisoft to do this. Now Ubisoft has never heard of me despite the fact I have aBought it on Steam but apparently Ubisoft wanted to try their own program to invade our privacy. These idiot companies will continue to push us with the assumption they can do whatever they want. I had to log in 3 times with different logins only to find out that Steam screwed their customers by allowing Ubisoft to do this. Now Ubisoft has never heard of me despite the fact I have a key. This game gets a zero because even if I could find it on my system, I refuse to do this. Ubisoft won't refund my money so Ubisoft gets no more of my business. Ever. Expand
  6. Mar 10, 2014
    My experience with this product is rather poor, the installation through Steam was, as usual, seamless but everything went awkward as soon as the product was started. Installation of Uplay, updating Uplay, obtaining an account, logon, updating the product once, twice, then the serial numbers. More updating again to be able to log on the game servers and be heavily distracted with what isMy experience with this product is rather poor, the installation through Steam was, as usual, seamless but everything went awkward as soon as the product was started. Installation of Uplay, updating Uplay, obtaining an account, logon, updating the product once, twice, then the serial numbers. More updating again to be able to log on the game servers and be heavily distracted with what is currently regarded as the holy grail of the industry: online gaming ad nauseam. And for what ? All in all, an update with a clumsy interface. Many people like it, I do not and will probably avoid being tempted by products using Uplay and other sorts of server-centered gameplay. Expand
  7. Jan 26, 2012
    I buy games to play them and have fun. As long as I am not hacking your game and playing legit, what I do with my computer after purchase is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!

If you dont know what I am talking about read "http://www.guru3d.com/news/why-guru3d-probably-never-will-review-ubisoft-titles-anymore/"

If they gave negative scores, this would get it for that reason.
  8. Nov 29, 2014
    Gonna pirate it because uPlay it's a pain in the.... play. So if you havent buy it you should consider that after many updates uPlay still being a problem. If you can deal with all the issues you will find a good game
  9. Jan 3, 2014
    Doesn't matter how good or bad this game is. It is unplayable due to the DRM. Don't buy stuff from companies that treat their loyal customers as criminals.

The only thing that sets this game apart from the other versions released in the past is its money grab DLC scheme, and its anti customer DRM. You will be much happier if you just get an older edition of this game. They are all

You will be much happier if you just get an older edition of this game. They are all really good.
  10. Apr 8, 2012
    I'm an early 30s gamer and I love simulation games: Capitisim II, Simcity (All of them), Civilization Series, Tycoon Games, Flight Simulators, Cities XL. I've even tinkered with the Supreme Ruler games.

With that in mind, I looked forward to this game. After playing it, all I could think was how much I hated this game. Going through the tutorial I had a few feelings: 1. I was bored 2.

1. I was bored
    2. I felt the urge to drink
    3. I felt the urge to slit my wrists and uninstall.

All this after having to enter the CD Key twice and set up a Ubi-whatever account even as a pre-existing Steam user. Compound that with the fact Steam still insists on selling this turd that's unfit for firing at your enemies via catapult for a handsome price of $79.95. I've yet to see it discounted, let alone sold for it's true value: $17 from Ubisoft and 2 hours of your life back.
  11. Dec 23, 2012
    Disappointed to discover this game features an overly restrictive DRM system that means (1) you have to have an internet connection to play and (2) if your hardware changes more than three times your game is permanently disabled and cannot be reactivated. My review score reflects the fact that Ubisoft don't care about making the game unplayable for some of their own paying customers.
  12. Jul 17, 2013
    One of the worst strategy games I've ever played.
    Graphics are ok. but the game play suffers tremendously, and the interface seems still in beta testing.
  13. Nov 22, 2011
    Graphics are beautiful, but the interface is not at all intuitive or convenient. Coupled with the soft-focus light filters, this literally equals a headache. At some point, the number of things you have to pay attention to and incrementally adjust becomes so overwhelming that the game becomes a chore; how long that takes is dependent upon how much patience you have withGraphics are beautiful, but the interface is not at all intuitive or convenient. Coupled with the soft-focus light filters, this literally equals a headache. At some point, the number of things you have to pay attention to and incrementally adjust becomes so overwhelming that the game becomes a chore; how long that takes is dependent upon how much patience you have with civilization-building games.

The only difference between the two main factions is aesthetic; the buildings look different, and you get yelled at by different talking heads. "Eco-balance" is just another percentage you have to manage, like power supply; the ecological management and green technologies hinted at in the trailers simply don't exist in any measurable amount.

It's not a bad game, it just doesn't beat the Civilization series, Sim City 4, or even Fate of the World. In fact, Blue Byte/Ubisoft's other game in this genre, Settlers 7, is vastly superior in every aspect.

Wait 'til you can get Anno for under 20 bucks.
  14. Nov 25, 2011
    This sort of thing (ie. a build-'em-up with a bit of combat) usually floats my boat. They're a good, relatively relaxing way to spend an evening with a drink or two. Anno 2070, alas, just doesn't do it for me at all. Simply put, it feels a lot more like work than entertainment. The tech tree, such that it is, contains a staggering amount of deeply naff padding (unless, of course, you get aThis sort of thing (ie. a build-'em-up with a bit of combat) usually floats my boat. They're a good, relatively relaxing way to spend an evening with a drink or two. Anno 2070, alas, just doesn't do it for me at all. Simply put, it feels a lot more like work than entertainment. The tech tree, such that it is, contains a staggering amount of deeply naff padding (unless, of course, you get a kick of knowing your dudes have access to vegetable sushi...), and is structured in such a way as to mean you are obliged to work through all the naff stuff in order to get to anything even remotely interesting. The whole thing feels totally contrived and arbitrary, devoid of imagination and soul. There's nothing interesting or complex about the gameplay at all. Yes, sure, there's a lot that needs to be done, but it's all a case of doing lots of simple, obvious, boolean tasks in order, then setting up some simple systems - complexity, yes, but only in the sense that doing three dead easy, boring things at once is more complex than doing one dead easy, boring thing on its own.

Graphically, it's rather pretty. That said, the lack of obvious distinction between building types doesn't exactly add to the fun. Playing "hunt the sushi factory" gets real old, real fast, especially given that the restrictions on building placement (building is restricted to a radius of certain other buildings) and the apparent disregard the population have with regards to what they live next to leads to a somewhat less than logical approach to planning.

Oh, I forgot the campaign. It's got one. It's not exactly what I'd call one of gaming's great memorable experiences. Do some linear stuff, follow the built-in advice, win. Yeah, cool.

So, to sum it up, if your idea of great night's entertainment is working as a taxi controller whilst filling in your tax returns, get Anno 2070. Actually, on second thoughts, why not just get a job as a taxi controller and take some accountancy classes.
  15. Mar 23, 2012
    Sadly buying this game, results in so harsgh DRM/Copyright protection meassures that those people who actually illegally download the game profit from it. Don't get my wrong, i'm absolutely against downloading games illegaly since i want good games which need money to be produced but i don't want to be forced to play online and probably send along data about my gaming behaviour. I respectSadly buying this game, results in so harsgh DRM/Copyright protection meassures that those people who actually illegally download the game profit from it. Don't get my wrong, i'm absolutely against downloading games illegaly since i want good games which need money to be produced but i don't want to be forced to play online and probably send along data about my gaming behaviour. I respect every developer for his/her creativity and effort put in the developement of a game. Seeing that a publisher like ubisoft destroys all the efforts made by this stupid DRM really gets me to rage. This was the last ubisoft game i bought! Thanks! Just typed some insults but deleted them afterwards. Expand
  16. Oct 29, 2012
    I love strategy games, unfortunately I bought this thinking that it was one. Anno 2070 is dogs balls boring, dont waste your cash, the pretty graphics and eco sound track are nice but there is no game here to be had hence the score of 2. Despite being patched to the very latest version of the game there are still bugs like a strange warning about running out of memory when I can alt tabI love strategy games, unfortunately I bought this thinking that it was one. Anno 2070 is dogs balls boring, dont waste your cash, the pretty graphics and eco sound track are nice but there is no game here to be had hence the score of 2. Despite being patched to the very latest version of the game there are still bugs like a strange warning about running out of memory when I can alt tab and see there is easily 1.5GB left on my machine. You cant even buy a unit to defend yourself until you have ascended to level 3 which takes about 3 hours! The original civilisation or starcraft games kick this game for six and they came out like 10 years ago.. ok rant over with ... YOU WERE WARNED. Expand
  17. Jan 21, 2012
    The game may be good, anyway the draconian ubisoft DRM makes it no buy for me and many other players. **** you **** you won't get my money. I own 500 games on steam, yet i still prefer to pirate your games instead of buying them!
  18. Apr 7, 2012
    Reviewed at 0 until future plans are announced to remove the DRM at some point in the future. Thank you for ruining this game Ubisoft. Only able to install on three computers, so it is stuck on my laptop that can't run it, and my current PC. One more install or reformat and I won't be able to play it anymore, this is stupid. I can understand leaving this in for a year, but this really doesReviewed at 0 until future plans are announced to remove the DRM at some point in the future. Thank you for ruining this game Ubisoft. Only able to install on three computers, so it is stuck on my laptop that can't run it, and my current PC. One more install or reformat and I won't be able to play it anymore, this is stupid. I can understand leaving this in for a year, but this really does ruin the game because the audience is a long term one, at least those are the pre-tenses under which I bought the game. Expand
  19. Jul 15, 2012
    I'm not usually one to do this, but I've got to throw my 0 in for good measure. This game has a 3 activation limit, which had me entirely skeptical of their DRM from the get-go. Against my better judgment, I purchased this game on 7/14/12. It wasn't a fresh release where the servers are new, or even an extremely popular title in which the servers are expected to have much of a load.I'm not usually one to do this, but I've got to throw my 0 in for good measure. This game has a 3 activation limit, which had me entirely skeptical of their DRM from the get-go. Against my better judgment, I purchased this game on 7/14/12. It wasn't a fresh release where the servers are new, or even an extremely popular title in which the servers are expected to have much of a load. Regardless, and most unfortunately, no one is able to log on to Uplay (Ubisoft's mandatory DRM gateway) today on 7/15/12, and therefore are unable to play this game. The forums for Steam and Ubisoft are filled with people unable to even launch the game they paid for. If this were a newly released title, I wouldn't be bothered. Sometimes the developer/publisher just needs time to adjust to the demand. This, on the other hand, is just unacceptable. Get a torrent or something if you want to be able to play reliably. It's an incredible shame that purchasing a title legitimately results in such a headache. Expand
  20. Mar 19, 2012
    I understand one time online activation DRM, but being forced to create Ubisoft account to be able to play game in offline mode is just big scam for me. And i thought that all those Ubisoft DRM stories were exaggerated, stupid me. I feel so bad for buying game that i will not play single time.
  21. Jul 15, 2012
    Great graphics, nice game, you will not play for so long anyway. cons: horribly managed by Ubisoft Uplay, server down, problems with connection, user login not recognized and non existing support you cannot play ubisoft games in this way, thumb down never ever a Ubisoft game again.
  22. Aug 2, 2014
    I normally don't give bad reviews, but this game was infuriating.

I'm an avid gamer, but Anno 2070 is an INSULT to gaming. It is so buggy and half-finished that the first campaign doesn't even work properly and the DRM is INCREDIBLY frustrating to deal with. Once you manage to work your way past the massive amounts of bugs and get through the DRM, HOURS later you finally figure out
    I normally don't give bad reviews, but this game was infuriating.

Once you manage to work your way past the massive amounts of bugs and get through the DRM, HOURS later you finally figure out that the game has no real tutorial, so you stuck just clicking around randomly.

Sad, sad, sad, example of a game that could have been great but FTW.
  23. Jul 10, 2012
    Wasted so many hours in this game hoping to get something in return for my 10$ but received nothing. Everything in this game except graphics is terrible. Interface is an unintuitive mess. There is no tutorial. Campaign is buggy and boring. Quests are simplier then in any free MMORPG. I had to repeat two missions because of bugs. Gameplay is repetive, linear and overcomplicated(resourcesWasted so many hours in this game hoping to get something in return for my 10$ but received nothing. Everything in this game except graphics is terrible. Interface is an unintuitive mess. There is no tutorial. Campaign is buggy and boring. Quests are simplier then in any free MMORPG. I had to repeat two missions because of bugs. Gameplay is repetive, linear and overcomplicated(resources and trade routes!) without a reason. I I do not recommend this game to anyone because there are far better games out there like civilization or total war. Expand
  24. May 10, 2014
    So my wife and I share computers and both thought we would enjoy Anno 2070 - the graphics looked nice and we both enjoyed 1404. How foolishly naive we were.

Firstly, you get 3 installations. After that you get to buy the whole game again. The very concept of which is so bad it's worth reading again. You get 3 installations of the game. Hardware update, hard drive crash and reinstall,

You get 3 installations of the game. Hardware update, hard drive crash and reinstall, having multiple computers in the home... tough luck. You get 3, over the total time you own/play the game.

Second, you get 1 profile. Ever. So if my wife and I both want to play we share one profile, one progression, one set of upgrades, one set of choices. The best we could do is have one of us play then the other load and replay missions the other already played.

I have never dealt with any company selling any product or service that treated me, as a consumer of their goods, with such utter contempt. I get DRM. I don't complain about it - they deserve paid for the things they create and sell. Yet the way it's handled on this game is over the top. It's gratuitous - it's just so Ubisoft. To take a great game with some great ideas and just stuff a raised middle finger in your face for buying it. Like they're saying 'HA! See if you can still enjoy it NOW, sucker!' We got 4 hours out of it. There won't be any more and I've managed to talk 3 people out of buying it, hopefully this review saves anyone else from making the same mistake.

At least I've still got 1404. As someone who's given Ubisoft hundreds of dollars for games this was the last one. The game gets a 2 because of the potential but you can't rate a game highly when it is brimming with so much contempt for its would-be consumers.
  25. Feb 20, 2014
    The DRM makes the game unplayable. It's been days since purchase and I still can't run it because of it. Support has been terribly slow. If only I had known before I purchased...
  26. Jan 20, 2012
    BS Tage DRM. Change your graphics card? That just used up an activation, and you only get three, so don't go upgrading your machine very often! Seriously, the fact that this type of crap is somehow okay with so many game buyers is really quite baffling. JUST SAY NO TO HORRIBLE DRM HELL!
  27. Feb 26, 2012
    It's too bad cause I'd REALLY like to play this game but the DRM coupled with the 3 install max will assure I'll never get to. I also won't pirate it as I really enjoy supporting good developers to ensure great games, I've bought over 200 games from Steam but this one will never see one installation because I refuse to support bad business practices that screws good people from gamesIt's too bad cause I'd REALLY like to play this game but the DRM coupled with the 3 install max will assure I'll never get to. I also won't pirate it as I really enjoy supporting good developers to ensure great games, I've bought over 200 games from Steam but this one will never see one installation because I refuse to support bad business practices that screws good people from games they've legally purchased.

28. Jun 15, 2012
    I got this game on a Steam sale for $30, I had been wanting to try this out for awhile and took the change to get it at a discounted price. Boy was it a waste of $30 though. This is a classic example of why graphics don't make a video game - the graphics in this game were spectacular, but the story and the game play were seriously lacking. The story mode was awful, the characters areI got this game on a Steam sale for $30, I had been wanting to try this out for awhile and took the change to get it at a discounted price. Boy was it a waste of $30 though. This is a classic example of why graphics don't make a video game - the graphics in this game were spectacular, but the story and the game play were seriously lacking. The story mode was awful, the characters are so utterly annoying and unbelievable, the only dialogue is basically some whiny liberal bickering with some d-bag conservative, which, I assume, was just a pretty poor attempt at social commentary. Building your city was awful as well. You need to build your workers some homes - do you want to perhaps build a nice line or houses, or perhaps a high rise apartment building, or how about a group of town houses? NOPE! There is one kind of house to build and one only (per faction). Sure, it upgrades, but you really have no choice of building the city you want to build. All in all, the only thing this game did for me was make me want to pull out SimCity again, which is imo the standard of the genre upon which all others should be judged. Spend your $50 on that instead I implore you. Expand
  29. Jul 8, 2012
    To play this game: Launch Steam, Launch Anno 2070 which starts a UPlay account signup box, you create an account but it still denies you access until you log in online, this is where I gave up.

This is like Kafka's The Trial, there is no game it is just a long sequence of account creation and password management tasks; maybe that's what 2070 will look like? The people who gave this game high reviews were probably driven insane long before the game actually launched so don't trust them.
  30. Apr 2, 2013
    I feel very let down by this game. I expected high-end economic simulation, with some military elements here and there. What I got was simplistic game, with economic elements dumbed down and dialogs and missions on the mental level of a 12 years old kid.
    The campaign is pain to go through, mainly because of childish plot and annoying dialogues. The free play, supposedly a most important mode of the game, is only a bit better. The most important problem is, that there is no mechanic that would make you want develop your city. Your citizens always seem to be happy with the level of goods you provide them and only by your initiative you might want to push them forward. There is no needs chain like in old Caesar games, where satisfying one requirement creates another. On top of that, your citizens serve absolutely no purpose (apart from maybe production of money that you don't seem to need that much). The factories/farms/etc don't seem to require any kind of workforce, which dumbs it down even more. On top of that, UI takes time to get used to, and tutorial doesn't seem to cover it well. There is also no way to check the rate at which your resources are used/produced so organizing of your industry takes a lot of boring observation and counting.
    It might seem that economic elements have been simplified in order to make room for more of a military game, but the amount (4?) and usability of battle units doesn't seem to support that at all.
    The MMO aspect of this game is not as fun as it might seem occasional vote over certain matters only seem to provide small bonuses in the game, or lack of them. Interesting idea, but it doesn't really have any real impact on the game.
    As a merit I should probably mention beautiful graphics and seemingly large amount of elements. The game might be entertaining for the first game, and seeing through possible buildings for construction might be fun, just for exploration of possibilities. It is not a bad game in general, it just doesn't seem to have any strategic thought in it other than "how should I put my building around in order them to fit in on my island(s). If you're a big genre fan sure, give it a try, if its on sale. If not look for other game, it's not worth your money or time.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Mar 1, 2012
    Putting aside minor hindrances, the game is a pleasant revival of the legendary franchise, displaying high replayability, relative to recent games. [February 2012]
  2. PC PowerPlay
    Feb 29, 2012
    A significantly more accessible setting makes this latest Anno a must play for all city management fans. [March 2012, p.52]
    The leap into the future was a good move by Ubisoft, enabling the combination of the formula already established with elements of science fiction.