• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 17, 2011
7.1

1. Nov 28, 2011
    The graphics are unbelievable. However, when you start to examine Anno 2070 as an in-depth game, it is not a long lasting treat. Unlike most of the user reviews for this game, I come in new to the series. I was excited to hear that it was a blend of city building and real-time strategy. I was disappointed to find out that, while it does blend the two genres, it falls short of being rich inThe graphics are unbelievable. However, when you start to examine Anno 2070 as an in-depth game, it is not a long lasting treat. Unlike most of the user reviews for this game, I come in new to the series. I was excited to hear that it was a blend of city building and real-time strategy. I was disappointed to find out that, while it does blend the two genres, it falls short of being rich in either side of content. As far as a city builder, it is spectacular in it's detail. I cannot say enough about the graphics, as it is the only reason why I played so long. However, as I got further into the game, I realized how limited I was to the types of buildings I could create, especially according to range. You are limited to how you would like to structure the city by how close you construct hospitals, casinos, trade depots, etc. The problem with this is that it leads to a lack of free expression in creating a city, having to structure around the peripheral buildings. This leads to a feeling that the entire game is linear in nature - there are not a lot of options to how you can plan a city. This is not helped by the campaign, which does not allow you to deviate from the orders set forth. It is basically just following instructions. While useful to learn the ins and outs of the game, it felt as if it were a tutorial rather than a story.

In terms of strategy, Anno also failed to capture my interest. There are two factions - the Tycoon and Eco factions. Although dissimilar in nature, the idea remained the same; collect resources, build ships, fight when necessary. The deviation of what needs to be done is almost non-existent - the game is structured in a way that there is only a right way and wrong way of doing things. This hurts the replay value of the game, as well as the general strategy. Both factions have the same warships, and the lack of variety leads to hoarding and mass-manufacturing being the sole keys to defeating the enemy.

In summary, Anno plays well as a resource gathering game. Looking for it to appeal to other styles of gaming, it falls well short.
  2. Jul 15, 2012
    I'm not usually one to do this, but I've got to throw my 0 in for good measure. This game has a 3 activation limit, which had me entirely skeptical of their DRM from the get-go. Against my better judgment, I purchased this game on 7/14/12. It wasn't a fresh release where the servers are new, or even an extremely popular title in which the servers are expected to have much of a load.I'm not usually one to do this, but I've got to throw my 0 in for good measure. This game has a 3 activation limit, which had me entirely skeptical of their DRM from the get-go. Against my better judgment, I purchased this game on 7/14/12. It wasn't a fresh release where the servers are new, or even an extremely popular title in which the servers are expected to have much of a load. Regardless, and most unfortunately, no one is able to log on to Uplay (Ubisoft's mandatory DRM gateway) today on 7/15/12, and therefore are unable to play this game. The forums for Steam and Ubisoft are filled with people unable to even launch the game they paid for. If this were a newly released title, I wouldn't be bothered. Sometimes the developer/publisher just needs time to adjust to the demand. This, on the other hand, is just unacceptable. Get a torrent or something if you want to be able to play reliably. It's an incredible shame that purchasing a title legitimately results in such a headache. Expand
  3. Feb 3, 2012
    The Anno series games are deep and satisfying if you enjoy open world city/economic/civilization simulators. Anno 2070 is no exception. I would give this game a 9 if I were able to play it with any consistency. This really would be an excellent game, but technical issues render it a complete waste of $50. I will not buy another Ubi game, which makes me sad because they have several goodThe Anno series games are deep and satisfying if you enjoy open world city/economic/civilization simulators. Anno 2070 is no exception. I would give this game a 9 if I were able to play it with any consistency. This really would be an excellent game, but technical issues render it a complete waste of $50. I will not buy another Ubi game, which makes me sad because they have several good titles. That sums things up, but if you want more detail, please read on... I would not be upset with this game or its developers if I had a single issue, but this game has been a constant struggle since purchase. When I first bought the game, I had a great deal of trouble installing it. It turns out AVG antivirus and the game don't get along. Fair enough, I was using the free version of AVG anyway. I simply switched to MSE antivirus, problem solved. Once the game was installed, I experienced a crash-to-desktop that occurred somewhere between every 30 seconds and every 30 minutes, a C++ runtime error. I tried many things to resolve this, which I won't bore you with. Suffice it to say, I am quite familiar with computer hardware and software, and it was not a simple video driver issue (nor anything else you commonly see with game crashes). I contacted Ubi support (this is where things really got annoying). Even though I included a great deal of information, including a DxDiag file, I got back a very generic response telling me to update my drivers and enable graphics settings like Direct3D (if you read the DxDiag, you would see that those things are already done, as I stated in my e-mail). After a game patch, the game is a little more stable. I can typically play for 30 mins to 1 hour, but even when I can the Ubi servers are constantly down. Last night I finally had some time to play, but the servers went down mid-game. Thankfully, the game simply switches the offline mode, which does hamper your gameplay but not too terribly much. I played a little while longer and exited. Now I cannot log back into the game (which means I can't play at all) because "that user is already logged in." It turns out that if the servers go down while you're logged in, you can't log out and will therefore not be able to get back in later. Judging by forum discussions, this has happened several times and I'm sure it will be fixed in a day or 2. But that's exactly the issue with this game...it will work...in a day or 2. I solve one problem, and another pops up. The DRM is a nightmare, UPlay is garbage, the programming unstable, the servers a constant mess. I could forgive any one of the issues, but there are an infinite amount. If companies like Blizzard and Valve can release rock-solid titles with very few technical issues, why can't Ubi? For my $50 in the future, they have to do better. Goodbye Ubi and Anno, it's been fun. Expand
  4. Jan 12, 2012
    285 hours as of writing this review, that is how many hours I have logged into this game. If you don't believe me look up legendcraft on steam, and add MeatyKiwi. I am a newcomer to this series and I say that I regret not hearing about it before. Anno 2070 is indeed a mix of city building games like Sim City and Cities XL, and also RTS games like Age of Empires and Empire Earth. What the285 hours as of writing this review, that is how many hours I have logged into this game. If you don't believe me look up legendcraft on steam, and add MeatyKiwi. I am a newcomer to this series and I say that I regret not hearing about it before. Anno 2070 is indeed a mix of city building games like Sim City and Cities XL, and also RTS games like Age of Empires and Empire Earth. What the developers tried to do was create a world in which you can smoothly mix the two without going overboard on one or the other. They succeeded and created a whole new genre. Rather similar to the old ways of Europa Universalis, this game thrives based on the ways in which society was based. i.e. free trade markets. If you play the infinite type game, which has no end, the game starts you off with minimal resources and a ship. You must colonize an island of your choosing and begin manufacturing goods. Each island has its own unique resources.

The game purposely makes it hard to gain gratuitous amounts of income, unless you know how trading works. When you start producing goods, if you are clever you will produce more than your island requires. By putting these items up for sale, other factions will begin to visit your island and buy these items off you for a decent penny. You could also set up your own trade routes with your own ships and force the process faster. Or if you want to isolate yourself from the other 7 factions that is fine, but you will never get past tier 4 in the tech tree. The point I want to make is that if you want to get the most out of the game you need to open a free market for your island, and trade. This is the way the human race as achieved its standing position in the world: trade. So you say, "Kiwi, trading is fine and all but tell us more about the spotlights and downfalls of the game!". I've been pretty generous with the compliments of this game, so lets talk about its biggest downfall. The campaign...is fun but terrible to go through. The campaign is separated into 3 main missions with sub missions inside each one. Each mission carries over into the next until you go to a new main mission. This is where it gets to be a problem. When I started the game I managed to get through the first two campaign missions just fine. When I got to the final main mission, I got 3 submissions into it and realized my economy was almost irreparable. There was nothing I could do to save it because my income was negative, and I had 0 money. Sure my plants were producing goods, but not enough to sustain my population. The fact is that I slacked on thinking ahead in the first two missions. So I went back through and replayed them, now my economy is top notch and I am set to do the final mission.

On the topic of buildings. Some people say that it's the same buildings over and over, not true. There are multiple looks for each house, and you can rotate the other buildings so you get a different look each time. No city in Anno will be 100% the same unless they tried to do it. The graphics are near flawless and it runs great. I have a normal Dell and it works fantastic. Watching all the production facilities work can be fun for hours. No production facility is the same. The water effects follow superposition of waves, which means you can do interference problems. (I have a degree in physics ^^). I found myself playing with boats in order to recreate Youngs double slit experiment. (It worked more or less if you are wondering). Speaking of time, this game is long. I recently got my first monument finished and I am working on a second. It took 15 hours in a game for me to get a monument up. This can be done much faster! In fact I could probably do it in 3 or 4 hours now. (at least putting the foundation down). The point is, if you do everything right, a monument will be a great and easy addition to your city. But...we don't do everything right so you will end up destroyed quite a bit of houses to get your monument in the right place. (unless you are clever and checked wiki). Difficulty...this game is hard, but it does get easier. Most likely it will take your 5 or 6 games before you are building things efficiently and neatly. Area use is a big property of this game. If you are clever you will use the smallest amount of area for maximum efficiency. Multiplayer...is good but not great. Most people you meet online are German or American. Either are usually willing to play with the other, just don't count on long conversations. The multiplayer is fun! If you manage to get a full map full of people, the possibilities are endless! The core of this game was built around multiplayer! Trade and peace agreements are that much more fun when it's a real person accepting or declining...or declaring war. I give this game a 9 out of 10 for great gameplay, bad campaign.
  5. Nov 19, 2011
    This game will devour your time if you aren't careful. While it might not appear to be the most exciting or pulse-pounding game, the hours can quickly slip away. Unfortunately, parts of the campaign are more a matter of "don't think about it, just do what the game tells you to (and not more) and it will all work out." It might not be the most exciting, but it is so complex and hard toThis game will devour your time if you aren't careful. While it might not appear to be the most exciting or pulse-pounding game, the hours can quickly slip away. Unfortunately, parts of the campaign are more a matter of "don't think about it, just do what the game tells you to (and not more) and it will all work out." It might not be the most exciting, but it is so complex and hard to manage a game that it will take a long time before developing an overall strategy. If you are into resource management and system creation, then this game is well worth it. The game looks very graphically pretty if you take the time to admire it (you will hardly ever be really zoomed in to see it though). Don't trust the hardware-auto detect for graphics settings, it greatly underestimates your power (auto-set to low, but runs fine when I changed it to high).
    Note: I would not suggest purchasing through the UbiShop. Its download timeframe is short and my anti-virus considers one part to be a trojan (if anyone knows how to add exceptions to Trend Micro, please tell me), so I will likely have to download an ISO if I want to later install it with my key.
  6. Nov 20, 2011
    Furistic game doesn't mean you will find aliens and uber fantasy weapons. Anno 2070, as the name suggests, is about a near future where you must know how to manage cities and resources. This game made me spent hours of gameplay and I don't intend to stop playing. The big difference of this game compared to its predecessors is the multiplayer. The community is able to vote on globalFuristic game doesn't mean you will find aliens and uber fantasy weapons. Anno 2070, as the name suggests, is about a near future where you must know how to manage cities and resources. This game made me spent hours of gameplay and I don't intend to stop playing. The big difference of this game compared to its predecessors is the multiplayer. The community is able to vote on global matters, choose a new president for the council, etc. Gameplay is fantastic, sound is overwhelming and campaign is quite interesting. You will find some minor problems such as voice acting doesn't seem to be good and some small typos in the text. However, I'm pretty sure such things will get fixed on future patches. This is a must buy game if you enjoy city management. Congratulations to Blue Byte! Expand
  7. Nov 22, 2011
    Graphics are beautiful, but the interface is not at all intuitive or convenient. Coupled with the soft-focus light filters, this literally equals a headache. At some point, the number of things you have to pay attention to and incrementally adjust becomes so overwhelming that the game becomes a chore; how long that takes is dependent upon how much patience you have withGraphics are beautiful, but the interface is not at all intuitive or convenient. Coupled with the soft-focus light filters, this literally equals a headache. At some point, the number of things you have to pay attention to and incrementally adjust becomes so overwhelming that the game becomes a chore; how long that takes is dependent upon how much patience you have with civilization-building games.

The only difference between the two main factions is aesthetic; the buildings look different, and you get yelled at by different talking heads. "Eco-balance" is just another percentage you have to manage, like power supply; the ecological management and green technologies hinted at in the trailers simply don't exist in any measurable amount.

It's not a bad game, it just doesn't beat the Civilization series, Sim City 4, or even Fate of the World. In fact, Blue Byte/Ubisoft's other game in this genre, Settlers 7, is vastly superior in every aspect.

Wait 'til you can get Anno for under 20 bucks.
  8. Feb 20, 2014
    The DRM makes the game unplayable. It's been days since purchase and I still can't run it because of it. Support has been terribly slow. If only I had known before I purchased...
  9. Mar 7, 2012
    Anno 2070 was my hope for a cross between an RTS game akin to Supreme Commander or Command and Conquer and a city builder game like Simcity. What I got was a game that quietly blends both together, nearly seamlessly, but fails to be exceptional at either. It feels like a "Lite" city builder with combat and RTS elements tagged on as an afterthought. The persistent world characteristics areAnno 2070 was my hope for a cross between an RTS game akin to Supreme Commander or Command and Conquer and a city builder game like Simcity. What I got was a game that quietly blends both together, nearly seamlessly, but fails to be exceptional at either. It feels like a "Lite" city builder with combat and RTS elements tagged on as an afterthought. The persistent world characteristics are neat, with people being able to take live missions and vote for the world council, but in reality it matters very little. I also found that the game has a rather annoying framerate issue, which should not happen on a PC with specs as high as mine. There is no reason Anno should jitter while games like The Witcher 2 and Skyrim run perfectly, Couple this with the always online Ubisoft DRM and it starts to become a hassle to play. I bought the game hoping for a city builder meets RTS hybrid, and what I got was an "okay" game that excels at neither, and is bogged down by Facebook integration, social media pandering, and draconian DRM. Expand
  10. Dec 21, 2014
    have not been able to play this game once because Uplay that you need to play this game has never worked and keeps crashing. waste of money as I foolishly bought 2 copies to gift.
  11. Jan 31, 2015
    Game might be good, but be prepared to be able to fight to get past Ubisofts old fashioned DRM. They should be ashamed.

I hope this kind of way to treat the buyers is not acceptable anymore, and dies with Anno 2070.
  12. Mar 10, 2014
    My experience with this product is rather poor, the installation through Steam was, as usual, seamless but everything went awkward as soon as the product was started. Installation of Uplay, updating Uplay, obtaining an account, logon, updating the product once, twice, then the serial numbers. More updating again to be able to log on the game servers and be heavily distracted with what isMy experience with this product is rather poor, the installation through Steam was, as usual, seamless but everything went awkward as soon as the product was started. Installation of Uplay, updating Uplay, obtaining an account, logon, updating the product once, twice, then the serial numbers. More updating again to be able to log on the game servers and be heavily distracted with what is currently regarded as the holy grail of the industry: online gaming ad nauseam. And for what ? All in all, an update with a clumsy interface. Many people like it, I do not and will probably avoid being tempted by products using Uplay and other sorts of server-centered gameplay. Expand
  13. Nov 29, 2014
    Gonna pirate it because uPlay it's a pain in the.... play. So if you havent buy it you should consider that after many updates uPlay still being a problem. If you can deal with all the issues you will find a good game
  14. Apr 3, 2012
    I've enjoyed a few of the Anno series, and if you want more of the same, this game might give it to you. Unfortunately, it also has annoying DRM and requires an Ubisoft login, doesn't offer much of any flexibility in how you complete missions, and it's also buggy enough that I couldn't finish it. The beginning of the campaign was too easy, while simultaneously taking a long time becauseI've enjoyed a few of the Anno series, and if you want more of the same, this game might give it to you. Unfortunately, it also has annoying DRM and requires an Ubisoft login, doesn't offer much of any flexibility in how you complete missions, and it's also buggy enough that I couldn't finish it. The beginning of the campaign was too easy, while simultaneously taking a long time because there were poorly-explained requirements to finishing quests---sometimes, just because I had finished them before they were offered, and I had to reload to try again. If it's like the other Anno games, it will get much harder by the end, but I don't expect it can make up for the poor experience I've had playing so far. Expand
  15. Feb 4, 2015
    Not a bad game, but easily the worst installment in an otherwise above average series of games. This particular game takes you to a slightly futuristic world with underwater cultivation is a breeze and energy shields exist. For the most part however, the world looks like modern day with oil tycoons, eco friendly people and technologists. You start with a ship, settle an island, and build aNot a bad game, but easily the worst installment in an otherwise above average series of games. This particular game takes you to a slightly futuristic world with underwater cultivation is a breeze and energy shields exist. For the most part however, the world looks like modern day with oil tycoons, eco friendly people and technologists. You start with a ship, settle an island, and build a city. Each step in your cities progress requires you fulfill the peoples needs be it food, entertainment, or plastic plates. This is how all Anno games play so nothing new here... and that is the big problem. There is no innovation in this game whatsoever. Graphic quality is no better than the previous game (Anno 1404) and they actually removed some very big features that make the game a lot less fun.

I wont go into every problem with the game but I will highlight the two big deal breakers which cost his game a lot of points from my score.

1) Competitive AI has been completely removed and replaced with a cheating AI. Single player games are no longer fun so if you are not an online person (like myself), this game will suck the big one. In Anno 1404, the AI actually played like a real player and did many of the things a real person might do. It had to settle islands, set up an economy, build defenses and it occasionally attacked. In Anno 2070, it simply cheats. It has no economy, it has unlimited resources from the start, and only settles islands as a matter of aesthetics even though it does not need any of them. It is boring and not fun because there is no longer any strategy. The only way to win is to build a fleet and take them out or wait forever to buy out their shares of an island and take it over (because they are too dumb to buy them back fast enough despite infinite resources...) In older Anno games you had more strategies such as hoarding specific resources by claiming islands of a certain type.

Next, no land combat... yep you can no longer land on an island and slowly take out major resources or just take over the island. Again, since this is gone, there is a lot less strategy to the game.

Last, the Ark stinks. Its basically a big cheat and makes an already super easy game into a ludicrous joke. When you equip the ark with an upgrade, it applies to everything in the game and some items are just insanely overpowered like global ship speed increases. Other make the game even more trivial such as shortening the amount of time you need to wait to buy out island shares (normally about 9-10 minutes if memory serves me which is also boring and slow).

As for new additions to make the game better... well you can now settle underwater islands... but it really is not different than any other island except you cannot have a city down there. Submarines are just like ships. They did add airplanes so that was new. Other than that it is boring. I recommend you stick to older Anno games like 1404 or others. Avoid this one.
  16. Jul 8, 2012
    To play this game: Launch Steam, Launch Anno 2070 which starts a UPlay account signup box, you create an account but it still denies you access until you log in online, this is where I gave up.

This is like Kafka's The Trial, there is no game it is just a long sequence of account creation and password management tasks; maybe that's what 2070 will look like? The people who gave this game high reviews were probably driven insane long before the game actually launched so don't trust them.
  17. Jan 3, 2014
    Doesn't matter how good or bad this game is. It is unplayable due to the DRM. Don't buy stuff from companies that treat their loyal customers as criminals.

The only thing that sets this game apart from the other versions released in the past is its money grab DLC scheme, and its anti customer DRM. You will be much happier if you just get an older edition of this game. They are all

You will be much happier if you just get an older edition of this game. They are all really good.
  18. Dec 22, 2013
    The DRM is more challenging than the game itself...it takes an eternity before one can actually play it. And then there's the 3 activation limit. Cannot support this sort of intrusive anti customer mentality.
  19. Jun 15, 2012
    I got this game on a Steam sale for $30, I had been wanting to try this out for awhile and took the change to get it at a discounted price. Boy was it a waste of $30 though. This is a classic example of why graphics don't make a video game - the graphics in this game were spectacular, but the story and the game play were seriously lacking. The story mode was awful, the characters areI got this game on a Steam sale for $30, I had been wanting to try this out for awhile and took the change to get it at a discounted price. Boy was it a waste of $30 though. This is a classic example of why graphics don't make a video game - the graphics in this game were spectacular, but the story and the game play were seriously lacking. The story mode was awful, the characters are so utterly annoying and unbelievable, the only dialogue is basically some whiny liberal bickering with some d-bag conservative, which, I assume, was just a pretty poor attempt at social commentary. Building your city was awful as well. You need to build your workers some homes - do you want to perhaps build a nice line or houses, or perhaps a high rise apartment building, or how about a group of town houses? NOPE! There is one kind of house to build and one only (per faction). Sure, it upgrades, but you really have no choice of building the city you want to build. All in all, the only thing this game did for me was make me want to pull out SimCity again, which is imo the standard of the genre upon which all others should be judged. Spend your $50 on that instead I implore you. Expand
  20. Mar 9, 2013
    Bought it on Steam but apparently Ubisoft wanted to try their own program to invade our privacy. These idiot companies will continue to push us with the assumption they can do whatever they want. I had to log in 3 times with different logins only to find out that Steam screwed their customers by allowing Ubisoft to do this. Now Ubisoft has never heard of me despite the fact I have aBought it on Steam but apparently Ubisoft wanted to try their own program to invade our privacy. These idiot companies will continue to push us with the assumption they can do whatever they want. I had to log in 3 times with different logins only to find out that Steam screwed their customers by allowing Ubisoft to do this. Now Ubisoft has never heard of me despite the fact I have a key. This game gets a zero because even if I could find it on my system, I refuse to do this. Ubisoft won't refund my money so Ubisoft gets no more of my business. Ever. Expand
  21. Jan 5, 2012
    This is a beautiful but short-lived distraction. I lasted just under a week before putting it on the shelf. Perhaps the most creative aspect of the game itself is in the way that citizen needs become more diverse as they upgrade. New needs require new buildings and new resources, which are not all to be found on the home island. Some planning and shipping are in order, and this aspect ofThis is a beautiful but short-lived distraction. I lasted just under a week before putting it on the shelf. Perhaps the most creative aspect of the game itself is in the way that citizen needs become more diverse as they upgrade. New needs require new buildings and new resources, which are not all to be found on the home island. Some planning and shipping are in order, and this aspect of the strategy game captivated me for some long days. But the process is arbitrarily linear, and has some issues. Buildings aren't available until after demand for their resources has already become a problem, ruining the quest for perfection. Expand
  22. Jul 15, 2012
    I must say that I was a bit ambivalent on buying this game but when I saw it on sale, I gave it a try.

Unfortuanlly so far the only thing I have learned is that I have to register an account on a server that does not responds. I find it it Highly unacceptable not to be able to use a product I have bought and paid for. I understand that an account can be needed for multiplayer

I understand that an account can be needed for multiplayer purposes, but if it is made a requirement for playing then It has to work
  23. Apr 8, 2013
    I actually really like this game, but unfortunately, the DRM means it gets 0 points. I've been an avid player of this game for 335 hours (according to Steam) but recently hit my activation limit due to some operating system issues. I submitted a request to Ubisoft Support to reset the counter and no reply in over six days. I purchased all the DLC and recent expansion, so they haveI actually really like this game, but unfortunately, the DRM means it gets 0 points. I've been an avid player of this game for 335 hours (according to Steam) but recently hit my activation limit due to some operating system issues. I submitted a request to Ubisoft Support to reset the counter and no reply in over six days. I purchased all the DLC and recent expansion, so they have basically stolen 70 dollars. Steam Support is unwilling to help in this matter. It is to the point I may have to pirate it to play a game I legally own. Way to fail. Expand
  24. Feb 26, 2012
    It's too bad cause I'd REALLY like to play this game but the DRM coupled with the 3 install max will assure I'll never get to. I also won't pirate it as I really enjoy supporting good developers to ensure great games, I've bought over 200 games from Steam but this one will never see one installation because I refuse to support bad business practices that screws good people from gamesIt's too bad cause I'd REALLY like to play this game but the DRM coupled with the 3 install max will assure I'll never get to. I also won't pirate it as I really enjoy supporting good developers to ensure great games, I've bought over 200 games from Steam but this one will never see one installation because I refuse to support bad business practices that screws good people from games they've legally purchased.

25. Jul 15, 2012
    Great graphics, nice game, you will not play for so long anyway. cons: horribly managed by Ubisoft Uplay, server down, problems with connection, user login not recognized and non existing support you cannot play ubisoft games in this way, thumb down never ever a Ubisoft game again.
  26. Dec 1, 2011
    Great looks, nice music, a complex and interesting building system and a decent enough interface (if you fiddle with the UI settings) - initially the game seems to have everything going for it. The problem is that it just lacks the soul or personality of the best strategy/rts type games. The graphics are gorgeous - But be warned, the graphics were a mess on my Vista/Nvidia gt 460 rig atGreat looks, nice music, a complex and interesting building system and a decent enough interface (if you fiddle with the UI settings) - initially the game seems to have everything going for it. The problem is that it just lacks the soul or personality of the best strategy/rts type games. The graphics are gorgeous - But be warned, the graphics were a mess on my Vista/Nvidia gt 460 rig at first (excessively bright and overexposed). Be prepared to mess with the settings until you find a proper display setting - it seems the 'autodetect' settings break the display sometimes. Once the initial irritation of the graphics issues was overcome, I made it a few hours into the campaign before getting very bored. It's just fetch-quests, interspersed with regular building tutorials. You don't feel like you're really achieving much - those looking for a futuristic Civ game or something as satisfying as Sim City will probably be disappointed. Click on this item, click on the base to deliver it. Click on another item. Hunt down resources to make sushi for your citizens (a surprisingly difficult thing to do early game...) Yes, it's as boring as it sounds. You don't feel like you're achieving much, it's all very bland and unexciting. The 'endless' game scenarios are better. You just freely build a city according to some requirement (like get 2500 citizens etc), which is fun for a while. Developing a pretty looking metropolis is satisfying, it's just all a bit soulless. Personality is sorely lacking, which is a shame because the presentation is great. If you're thinking of buying this, I suggest you download the demo first, because even as a strategy gamer I found this a bit of a chore and a real disappointment. I paid full price for this and even though it's a pleasant diversion, it's not worth it in my view. Expand
  27. Dec 25, 2012
    Layers of DRM earn this a 0; Ubisoft fails again. Imagine the multiple layers of DRM involved after you buy on Steam...now that was a slap in the face.
  28. Jan 5, 2012
    Stunning visuals, but I wouldn't reccomend it to people who have played anno 1404, the user interface is very much the same. There are just way too many different resources to get to make stuff that the people want. I know what your'e gonna say, it's what makes the game difficult and fun to play, but it's just too difficult and has average gameplay. Going under water is a wonderfulStunning visuals, but I wouldn't reccomend it to people who have played anno 1404, the user interface is very much the same. There are just way too many different resources to get to make stuff that the people want. I know what your'e gonna say, it's what makes the game difficult and fun to play, but it's just too difficult and has average gameplay. Going under water is a wonderful edition to the game, but all in all, it just doesn't improve the game, not for me anyway. Expand
  29. Feb 21, 2013
    This game looks great, and there is plenty of different missions for you to do, as well as the multiplayer function. The building of a city becomes a little repetitive after a while... I tried playing with some friends, and we had to set up a VPN to get it going! That was highly frustrating. It really gave me a bad impression of the game. I am not sure it is worth full price, but maybe onThis game looks great, and there is plenty of different missions for you to do, as well as the multiplayer function. The building of a city becomes a little repetitive after a while... I tried playing with some friends, and we had to set up a VPN to get it going! That was highly frustrating. It really gave me a bad impression of the game. I am not sure it is worth full price, but maybe on a sale, give it a go. Expand
  30. Aug 2, 2014
    I normally don't give bad reviews, but this game was infuriating.

I'm an avid gamer, but Anno 2070 is an INSULT to gaming. It is so buggy and half-finished that the first campaign doesn't even work properly and the DRM is INCREDIBLY frustrating to deal with. Once you manage to work your way past the massive amounts of bugs and get through the DRM, HOURS later you finally figure out
    I normally don't give bad reviews, but this game was infuriating.

Once you manage to work your way past the massive amounts of bugs and get through the DRM, HOURS later you finally figure out that the game has no real tutorial, so you stuck just clicking around randomly.

Sad, sad, sad, example of a game that could have been great but FTW.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Mar 1, 2012
    Putting aside minor hindrances, the game is a pleasant revival of the legendary franchise, displaying high replayability, relative to recent games. [February 2012]
  2. PC PowerPlay
    Feb 29, 2012
    A significantly more accessible setting makes this latest Anno a must play for all city management fans. [March 2012, p.52]
    The leap into the future was a good move by Ubisoft, enabling the combination of the formula already established with elements of science fiction.