• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 17, 2011
6.9

1. Nov 28, 2011
    The graphics are unbelievable. However, when you start to examine Anno 2070 as an in-depth game, it is not a long lasting treat. Unlike most of the user reviews for this game, I come in new to the series. I was excited to hear that it was a blend of city building and real-time strategy. I was disappointed to find out that, while it does blend the two genres, it falls short of being rich inThe graphics are unbelievable. However, when you start to examine Anno 2070 as an in-depth game, it is not a long lasting treat. Unlike most of the user reviews for this game, I come in new to the series. I was excited to hear that it was a blend of city building and real-time strategy. I was disappointed to find out that, while it does blend the two genres, it falls short of being rich in either side of content. As far as a city builder, it is spectacular in it's detail. I cannot say enough about the graphics, as it is the only reason why I played so long. However, as I got further into the game, I realized how limited I was to the types of buildings I could create, especially according to range. You are limited to how you would like to structure the city by how close you construct hospitals, casinos, trade depots, etc. The problem with this is that it leads to a lack of free expression in creating a city, having to structure around the peripheral buildings. This leads to a feeling that the entire game is linear in nature - there are not a lot of options to how you can plan a city. This is not helped by the campaign, which does not allow you to deviate from the orders set forth. It is basically just following instructions. While useful to learn the ins and outs of the game, it felt as if it were a tutorial rather than a story.

In terms of strategy, Anno also failed to capture my interest. There are two factions - the Tycoon and Eco factions. Although dissimilar in nature, the idea remained the same; collect resources, build ships, fight when necessary. The deviation of what needs to be done is almost non-existent - the game is structured in a way that there is only a right way and wrong way of doing things. This hurts the replay value of the game, as well as the general strategy. Both factions have the same warships, and the lack of variety leads to hoarding and mass-manufacturing being the sole keys to defeating the enemy.

In summary, Anno plays well as a resource gathering game. Looking for it to appeal to other styles of gaming, it falls well short.
  2. Feb 3, 2012
    The Anno series games are deep and satisfying if you enjoy open world city/economic/civilization simulators. Anno 2070 is no exception. I would give this game a 9 if I were able to play it with any consistency. This really would be an excellent game, but technical issues render it a complete waste of $50. I will not buy another Ubi game, which makes me sad because they have several goodThe Anno series games are deep and satisfying if you enjoy open world city/economic/civilization simulators. Anno 2070 is no exception. I would give this game a 9 if I were able to play it with any consistency. This really would be an excellent game, but technical issues render it a complete waste of $50. I will not buy another Ubi game, which makes me sad because they have several good titles. That sums things up, but if you want more detail, please read on... I would not be upset with this game or its developers if I had a single issue, but this game has been a constant struggle since purchase. When I first bought the game, I had a great deal of trouble installing it. It turns out AVG antivirus and the game don't get along. Fair enough, I was using the free version of AVG anyway. I simply switched to MSE antivirus, problem solved. Once the game was installed, I experienced a crash-to-desktop that occurred somewhere between every 30 seconds and every 30 minutes, a C++ runtime error. I tried many things to resolve this, which I won't bore you with. Suffice it to say, I am quite familiar with computer hardware and software, and it was not a simple video driver issue (nor anything else you commonly see with game crashes). I contacted Ubi support (this is where things really got annoying). Even though I included a great deal of information, including a DxDiag file, I got back a very generic response telling me to update my drivers and enable graphics settings like Direct3D (if you read the DxDiag, you would see that those things are already done, as I stated in my e-mail). After a game patch, the game is a little more stable. I can typically play for 30 mins to 1 hour, but even when I can the Ubi servers are constantly down. Last night I finally had some time to play, but the servers went down mid-game. Thankfully, the game simply switches the offline mode, which does hamper your gameplay but not too terribly much. I played a little while longer and exited. Now I cannot log back into the game (which means I can't play at all) because "that user is already logged in." It turns out that if the servers go down while you're logged in, you can't log out and will therefore not be able to get back in later. Judging by forum discussions, this has happened several times and I'm sure it will be fixed in a day or 2. But that's exactly the issue with this game...it will work...in a day or 2. I solve one problem, and another pops up. The DRM is a nightmare, UPlay is garbage, the programming unstable, the servers a constant mess. I could forgive any one of the issues, but there are an infinite amount. If companies like Blizzard and Valve can release rock-solid titles with very few technical issues, why can't Ubi? For my $50 in the future, they have to do better. Goodbye Ubi and Anno, it's been fun. Expand
  3. Jul 15, 2012
    I'm not usually one to do this, but I've got to throw my 0 in for good measure. This game has a 3 activation limit, which had me entirely skeptical of their DRM from the get-go. Against my better judgment, I purchased this game on 7/14/12. It wasn't a fresh release where the servers are new, or even an extremely popular title in which the servers are expected to have much of a load.I'm not usually one to do this, but I've got to throw my 0 in for good measure. This game has a 3 activation limit, which had me entirely skeptical of their DRM from the get-go. Against my better judgment, I purchased this game on 7/14/12. It wasn't a fresh release where the servers are new, or even an extremely popular title in which the servers are expected to have much of a load. Regardless, and most unfortunately, no one is able to log on to Uplay (Ubisoft's mandatory DRM gateway) today on 7/15/12, and therefore are unable to play this game. The forums for Steam and Ubisoft are filled with people unable to even launch the game they paid for. If this were a newly released title, I wouldn't be bothered. Sometimes the developer/publisher just needs time to adjust to the demand. This, on the other hand, is just unacceptable. Get a torrent or something if you want to be able to play reliably. It's an incredible shame that purchasing a title legitimately results in such a headache. Expand
  4. Nov 19, 2011
    This game will devour your time if you aren't careful. While it might not appear to be the most exciting or pulse-pounding game, the hours can quickly slip away. Unfortunately, parts of the campaign are more a matter of "don't think about it, just do what the game tells you to (and not more) and it will all work out." It might not be the most exciting, but it is so complex and hard toThis game will devour your time if you aren't careful. While it might not appear to be the most exciting or pulse-pounding game, the hours can quickly slip away. Unfortunately, parts of the campaign are more a matter of "don't think about it, just do what the game tells you to (and not more) and it will all work out." It might not be the most exciting, but it is so complex and hard to manage a game that it will take a long time before developing an overall strategy. If you are into resource management and system creation, then this game is well worth it. The game looks very graphically pretty if you take the time to admire it (you will hardly ever be really zoomed in to see it though). Don't trust the hardware-auto detect for graphics settings, it greatly underestimates your power (auto-set to low, but runs fine when I changed it to high).
    Note: I would not suggest purchasing through the UbiShop. Its download timeframe is short and my anti-virus considers one part to be a trojan (if anyone knows how to add exceptions to Trend Micro, please tell me), so I will likely have to download an ISO if I want to later install it with my key.
  5. Nov 20, 2011
    Furistic game doesn't mean you will find aliens and uber fantasy weapons. Anno 2070, as the name suggests, is about a near future where you must know how to manage cities and resources. This game made me spent hours of gameplay and I don't intend to stop playing. The big difference of this game compared to its predecessors is the multiplayer. The community is able to vote on globalFuristic game doesn't mean you will find aliens and uber fantasy weapons. Anno 2070, as the name suggests, is about a near future where you must know how to manage cities and resources. This game made me spent hours of gameplay and I don't intend to stop playing. The big difference of this game compared to its predecessors is the multiplayer. The community is able to vote on global matters, choose a new president for the council, etc. Gameplay is fantastic, sound is overwhelming and campaign is quite interesting. You will find some minor problems such as voice acting doesn't seem to be good and some small typos in the text. However, I'm pretty sure such things will get fixed on future patches. This is a must buy game if you enjoy city management. Congratulations to Blue Byte! Expand
  6. Nov 22, 2011
    Graphics are beautiful, but the interface is not at all intuitive or convenient. Coupled with the soft-focus light filters, this literally equals a headache. At some point, the number of things you have to pay attention to and incrementally adjust becomes so overwhelming that the game becomes a chore; how long that takes is dependent upon how much patience you have withGraphics are beautiful, but the interface is not at all intuitive or convenient. Coupled with the soft-focus light filters, this literally equals a headache. At some point, the number of things you have to pay attention to and incrementally adjust becomes so overwhelming that the game becomes a chore; how long that takes is dependent upon how much patience you have with civilization-building games.

The only difference between the two main factions is aesthetic; the buildings look different, and you get yelled at by different talking heads. "Eco-balance" is just another percentage you have to manage, like power supply; the ecological management and green technologies hinted at in the trailers simply don't exist in any measurable amount.

It's not a bad game, it just doesn't beat the Civilization series, Sim City 4, or even Fate of the World. In fact, Blue Byte/Ubisoft's other game in this genre, Settlers 7, is vastly superior in every aspect.

Wait 'til you can get Anno for under 20 bucks.
  7. Jan 12, 2012
    285 hours as of writing this review, that is how many hours I have logged into this game. If you don't believe me look up legendcraft on steam, and add MeatyKiwi. I am a newcomer to this series and I say that I regret not hearing about it before. Anno 2070 is indeed a mix of city building games like Sim City and Cities XL, and also RTS games like Age of Empires and Empire Earth. What the285 hours as of writing this review, that is how many hours I have logged into this game. If you don't believe me look up legendcraft on steam, and add MeatyKiwi. I am a newcomer to this series and I say that I regret not hearing about it before. Anno 2070 is indeed a mix of city building games like Sim City and Cities XL, and also RTS games like Age of Empires and Empire Earth. What the developers tried to do was create a world in which you can smoothly mix the two without going overboard on one or the other. They succeeded and created a whole new genre. Rather similar to the old ways of Europa Universalis, this game thrives based on the ways in which society was based. i.e. free trade markets. If you play the infinite type game, which has no end, the game starts you off with minimal resources and a ship. You must colonize an island of your choosing and begin manufacturing goods. Each island has its own unique resources.

The game purposely makes it hard to gain gratuitous amounts of income, unless you know how trading works. When you start producing goods, if you are clever you will produce more than your island requires. By putting these items up for sale, other factions will begin to visit your island and buy these items off you for a decent penny. You could also set up your own trade routes with your own ships and force the process faster. Or if you want to isolate yourself from the other 7 factions that is fine, but you will never get past tier 4 in the tech tree. The point I want to make is that if you want to get the most out of the game you need to open a free market for your island, and trade. This is the way the human race as achieved its standing position in the world: trade. So you say, "Kiwi, trading is fine and all but tell us more about the spotlights and downfalls of the game!". I've been pretty generous with the compliments of this game, so lets talk about its biggest downfall. The campaign...is fun but terrible to go through. The campaign is separated into 3 main missions with sub missions inside each one. Each mission carries over into the next until you go to a new main mission. This is where it gets to be a problem. When I started the game I managed to get through the first two campaign missions just fine. When I got to the final main mission, I got 3 submissions into it and realized my economy was almost irreparable. There was nothing I could do to save it because my income was negative, and I had 0 money. Sure my plants were producing goods, but not enough to sustain my population. The fact is that I slacked on thinking ahead in the first two missions. So I went back through and replayed them, now my economy is top notch and I am set to do the final mission.

On the topic of buildings. Some people say that it's the same buildings over and over, not true. There are multiple looks for each house, and you can rotate the other buildings so you get a different look each time. No city in Anno will be 100% the same unless they tried to do it. The graphics are near flawless and it runs great. I have a normal Dell and it works fantastic. Watching all the production facilities work can be fun for hours. No production facility is the same. The water effects follow superposition of waves, which means you can do interference problems. (I have a degree in physics ^^). I found myself playing with boats in order to recreate Youngs double slit experiment. (It worked more or less if you are wondering). Speaking of time, this game is long. I recently got my first monument finished and I am working on a second. It took 15 hours in a game for me to get a monument up. This can be done much faster! In fact I could probably do it in 3 or 4 hours now. (at least putting the foundation down). The point is, if you do everything right, a monument will be a great and easy addition to your city. But...we don't do everything right so you will end up destroyed quite a bit of houses to get your monument in the right place. (unless you are clever and checked wiki). Difficulty...this game is hard, but it does get easier. Most likely it will take your 5 or 6 games before you are building things efficiently and neatly. Area use is a big property of this game. If you are clever you will use the smallest amount of area for maximum efficiency. Multiplayer...is good but not great. Most people you meet online are German or American. Either are usually willing to play with the other, just don't count on long conversations. The multiplayer is fun! If you manage to get a full map full of people, the possibilities are endless! The core of this game was built around multiplayer! Trade and peace agreements are that much more fun when it's a real person accepting or declining...or declaring war. I give this game a 9 out of 10 for great gameplay, bad campaign.
  8. Mar 23, 2012
    Sadly buying this game, results in so harsgh DRM/Copyright protection meassures that those people who actually illegally download the game profit from it. Don't get my wrong, i'm absolutely against downloading games illegaly since i want good games which need money to be produced but i don't want to be forced to play online and probably send along data about my gaming behaviour. I respectSadly buying this game, results in so harsgh DRM/Copyright protection meassures that those people who actually illegally download the game profit from it. Don't get my wrong, i'm absolutely against downloading games illegaly since i want good games which need money to be produced but i don't want to be forced to play online and probably send along data about my gaming behaviour. I respect every developer for his/her creativity and effort put in the developement of a game. Seeing that a publisher like ubisoft destroys all the efforts made by this stupid DRM really gets me to rage. This was the last ubisoft game i bought! Thanks! Just typed some insults but deleted them afterwards. Expand
  9. Nov 25, 2011
    An almost perfect game. Stunning visuals and glorious soundtrack give 2070 a high quality feel. Complex and deep economic management that you'll either find annoying or captivating. Possibly the most addictive game I've played for a long time. The only real down side is the combat which feels a bit superficial. Be prepared to lose many, many days on this one...
  10. Jan 20, 2012
    BS Tage DRM. Change your graphics card? That just used up an activation, and you only get three, so don't go upgrading your machine very often! Seriously, the fact that this type of crap is somehow okay with so many game buyers is really quite baffling. JUST SAY NO TO HORRIBLE DRM HELL!
  11. Feb 26, 2012
    It's too bad cause I'd REALLY like to play this game but the DRM coupled with the 3 install max will assure I'll never get to. I also won't pirate it as I really enjoy supporting good developers to ensure great games, I've bought over 200 games from Steam but this one will never see one installation because I refuse to support bad business practices that screws good people from gamesIt's too bad cause I'd REALLY like to play this game but the DRM coupled with the 3 install max will assure I'll never get to. I also won't pirate it as I really enjoy supporting good developers to ensure great games, I've bought over 200 games from Steam but this one will never see one installation because I refuse to support bad business practices that screws good people from games they've legally purchased.

12. Jul 15, 2012
    Great graphics, nice game, you will not play for so long anyway. cons: horribly managed by Ubisoft Uplay, server down, problems with connection, user login not recognized and non existing support you cannot play ubisoft games in this way, thumb down never ever a Ubisoft game again.
  13. Jan 19, 2013
    Ubisoft's wicked DRM strikes again. I can't be arsed to rant about it. But I'm sure if you dig through the zeros you'll find something similar.

To people giving 10s to offset zeros, if the game is broken to the point of unplayability that's a zero; don't try and drag the score back up again.
  14. Nov 27, 2011
    While Anno 2070 is more complex when compared to it's predecessor, it fails. There is no reason to choose the Ecos over the Tycoons, this is very well known to the developers as it was admitted earlier in interviews with the press, and so it turned out to be, which is in my opinion a poor effort. It's sometimes very hard to see what buildings actually do and some looks very similar, thisWhile Anno 2070 is more complex when compared to it's predecessor, it fails. There is no reason to choose the Ecos over the Tycoons, this is very well known to the developers as it was admitted earlier in interviews with the press, and so it turned out to be, which is in my opinion a poor effort. It's sometimes very hard to see what buildings actually do and some looks very similar, this sometimes creates issue. While the graphics are nice as always with Anno titles, 2070 is very sterile and cold, all this is also reflected in the menus, which are generally improved in functionality over those of 1404, but look cold and bald, and feel like this was done during a quick break. The usual flaws the Anno games always had are once again ignored, like the lack of a good storyline, the main campaign is more like a very long tutorial, and the side-missions in the freeplay are uninspired, dumb and mostly the same. War never was as important in Anno as it is for other games, but it's usually part of the end game, this time it's even worse then in it's predecessors. If you are hellbent on trying the improvements in complexity and the sci-fi scenario go ahead, but be warned; for most parts it is generally unimproved and robed of the charm of it's predecessors. While Anno never was the perfect game, 2070 is only mediocre. Expand
  15. Jan 5, 2012
    This is a beautiful but short-lived distraction. I lasted just under a week before putting it on the shelf. Perhaps the most creative aspect of the game itself is in the way that citizen needs become more diverse as they upgrade. New needs require new buildings and new resources, which are not all to be found on the home island. Some planning and shipping are in order, and this aspect ofThis is a beautiful but short-lived distraction. I lasted just under a week before putting it on the shelf. Perhaps the most creative aspect of the game itself is in the way that citizen needs become more diverse as they upgrade. New needs require new buildings and new resources, which are not all to be found on the home island. Some planning and shipping are in order, and this aspect of the strategy game captivated me for some long days. But the process is arbitrarily linear, and has some issues. Buildings aren't available until after demand for their resources has already become a problem, ruining the quest for perfection. Expand
  16. Jul 8, 2012
    To play this game: Launch Steam, Launch Anno 2070 which starts a UPlay account signup box, you create an account but it still denies you access until you log in online, this is where I gave up.

This is like Kafka's The Trial, there is no game it is just a long sequence of account creation and password management tasks; maybe that's what 2070 will look like? The people who gave this game high reviews were probably driven insane long before the game actually launched so don't trust them.
  17. Nov 25, 2011
    This sort of thing (ie. a build-'em-up with a bit of combat) usually floats my boat. They're a good, relatively relaxing way to spend an evening with a drink or two. Anno 2070, alas, just doesn't do it for me at all. Simply put, it feels a lot more like work than entertainment. The tech tree, such that it is, contains a staggering amount of deeply naff padding (unless, of course, you get aThis sort of thing (ie. a build-'em-up with a bit of combat) usually floats my boat. They're a good, relatively relaxing way to spend an evening with a drink or two. Anno 2070, alas, just doesn't do it for me at all. Simply put, it feels a lot more like work than entertainment. The tech tree, such that it is, contains a staggering amount of deeply naff padding (unless, of course, you get a kick of knowing your dudes have access to vegetable sushi...), and is structured in such a way as to mean you are obliged to work through all the naff stuff in order to get to anything even remotely interesting. The whole thing feels totally contrived and arbitrary, devoid of imagination and soul. There's nothing interesting or complex about the gameplay at all. Yes, sure, there's a lot that needs to be done, but it's all a case of doing lots of simple, obvious, boolean tasks in order, then setting up some simple systems - complexity, yes, but only in the sense that doing three dead easy, boring things at once is more complex than doing one dead easy, boring thing on its own.

Graphically, it's rather pretty. That said, the lack of obvious distinction between building types doesn't exactly add to the fun. Playing "hunt the sushi factory" gets real old, real fast, especially given that the restrictions on building placement (building is restricted to a radius of certain other buildings) and the apparent disregard the population have with regards to what they live next to leads to a somewhat less than logical approach to planning.

Oh, I forgot the campaign. It's got one. It's not exactly what I'd call one of gaming's great memorable experiences. Do some linear stuff, follow the built-in advice, win. Yeah, cool.

So, to sum it up, if your idea of great night's entertainment is working as a taxi controller whilst filling in your tax returns, get Anno 2070. Actually, on second thoughts, why not just get a job as a taxi controller and take some accountancy classes.
  18. Jan 26, 2012
    I buy games to play them and have fun. As long as I am not hacking your game and playing legit, what I do with my computer after purchase is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!

If you dont know what I am talking about read "http://www.guru3d.com/news/why-guru3d-probably-never-will-review-ubisoft-titles-anymore/"

If they gave negative scores, this would get it for that reason.
  19. Dec 1, 2011
    Great looks, nice music, a complex and interesting building system and a decent enough interface (if you fiddle with the UI settings) - initially the game seems to have everything going for it. The problem is that it just lacks the soul or personality of the best strategy/rts type games. The graphics are gorgeous - But be warned, the graphics were a mess on my Vista/Nvidia gt 460 rig atGreat looks, nice music, a complex and interesting building system and a decent enough interface (if you fiddle with the UI settings) - initially the game seems to have everything going for it. The problem is that it just lacks the soul or personality of the best strategy/rts type games. The graphics are gorgeous - But be warned, the graphics were a mess on my Vista/Nvidia gt 460 rig at first (excessively bright and overexposed). Be prepared to mess with the settings until you find a proper display setting - it seems the 'autodetect' settings break the display sometimes. Once the initial irritation of the graphics issues was overcome, I made it a few hours into the campaign before getting very bored. It's just fetch-quests, interspersed with regular building tutorials. You don't feel like you're really achieving much - those looking for a futuristic Civ game or something as satisfying as Sim City will probably be disappointed. Click on this item, click on the base to deliver it. Click on another item. Hunt down resources to make sushi for your citizens (a surprisingly difficult thing to do early game...) Yes, it's as boring as it sounds. You don't feel like you're achieving much, it's all very bland and unexciting. The 'endless' game scenarios are better. You just freely build a city according to some requirement (like get 2500 citizens etc), which is fun for a while. Developing a pretty looking metropolis is satisfying, it's just all a bit soulless. Personality is sorely lacking, which is a shame because the presentation is great. If you're thinking of buying this, I suggest you download the demo first, because even as a strategy gamer I found this a bit of a chore and a real disappointment. I paid full price for this and even though it's a pleasant diversion, it's not worth it in my view. Expand
  20. Apr 3, 2012
    I've enjoyed a few of the Anno series, and if you want more of the same, this game might give it to you. Unfortunately, it also has annoying DRM and requires an Ubisoft login, doesn't offer much of any flexibility in how you complete missions, and it's also buggy enough that I couldn't finish it. The beginning of the campaign was too easy, while simultaneously taking a long time becauseI've enjoyed a few of the Anno series, and if you want more of the same, this game might give it to you. Unfortunately, it also has annoying DRM and requires an Ubisoft login, doesn't offer much of any flexibility in how you complete missions, and it's also buggy enough that I couldn't finish it. The beginning of the campaign was too easy, while simultaneously taking a long time because there were poorly-explained requirements to finishing quests---sometimes, just because I had finished them before they were offered, and I had to reload to try again. If it's like the other Anno games, it will get much harder by the end, but I don't expect it can make up for the poor experience I've had playing so far. Expand
  21. Dec 25, 2012
    Layers of DRM earn this a 0; Ubisoft fails again. Imagine the multiple layers of DRM involved after you buy on Steam...now that was a slap in the face.
  22. Jun 15, 2012
    I got this game on a Steam sale for $30, I had been wanting to try this out for awhile and took the change to get it at a discounted price. Boy was it a waste of $30 though. This is a classic example of why graphics don't make a video game - the graphics in this game were spectacular, but the story and the game play were seriously lacking. The story mode was awful, the characters areI got this game on a Steam sale for $30, I had been wanting to try this out for awhile and took the change to get it at a discounted price. Boy was it a waste of $30 though. This is a classic example of why graphics don't make a video game - the graphics in this game were spectacular, but the story and the game play were seriously lacking. The story mode was awful, the characters are so utterly annoying and unbelievable, the only dialogue is basically some whiny liberal bickering with some d-bag conservative, which, I assume, was just a pretty poor attempt at social commentary. Building your city was awful as well. You need to build your workers some homes - do you want to perhaps build a nice line or houses, or perhaps a high rise apartment building, or how about a group of town houses? NOPE! There is one kind of house to build and one only (per faction). Sure, it upgrades, but you really have no choice of building the city you want to build. All in all, the only thing this game did for me was make me want to pull out SimCity again, which is imo the standard of the genre upon which all others should be judged. Spend your $50 on that instead I implore you. Expand
  23. Dec 22, 2013
    The DRM is more challenging than the game itself...it takes an eternity before one can actually play it. And then there's the 3 activation limit. Cannot support this sort of intrusive anti customer mentality.
  24. Jan 9, 2012
    Slightly disappointed but overall it's a good game. The graphics are excellent and the gameplay is true to it's predecessor's form. Somewhere along the way they forgot that part of what made the series so successful in the past was the allure of history and meeting the needs of your people. Instead they chose to focus on the industrial/environmental arenas and while that is not too bad ofSlightly disappointed but overall it's a good game. The graphics are excellent and the gameplay is true to it's predecessor's form. Somewhere along the way they forgot that part of what made the series so successful in the past was the allure of history and meeting the needs of your people. Instead they chose to focus on the industrial/environmental arenas and while that is not too bad of an idea it leaves you feeling a bit detached from any sense of connection with the population in general. Everything seems a bit rushed and hectic with bells going off, indicators flashing, message tabs etc and you feel pressured to constantly advance technology. Still a worthy game if you like city builders entwined with a bit of rts and economic management but it's not as fun as some of the previous installments. Expand
  25. Dec 23, 2012
    Disappointed to discover this game features an overly restrictive DRM system that means (1) you have to have an internet connection to play and (2) if your hardware changes more than three times your game is permanently disabled and cannot be reactivated. My review score reflects the fact that Ubisoft don't care about making the game unplayable for some of their own paying customers.
  26. Apr 7, 2012
    Reviewed at 0 until future plans are announced to remove the DRM at some point in the future. Thank you for ruining this game Ubisoft. Only able to install on three computers, so it is stuck on my laptop that can't run it, and my current PC. One more install or reformat and I won't be able to play it anymore, this is stupid. I can understand leaving this in for a year, but this really doesReviewed at 0 until future plans are announced to remove the DRM at some point in the future. Thank you for ruining this game Ubisoft. Only able to install on three computers, so it is stuck on my laptop that can't run it, and my current PC. One more install or reformat and I won't be able to play it anymore, this is stupid. I can understand leaving this in for a year, but this really does ruin the game because the audience is a long term one, at least those are the pre-tenses under which I bought the game. Expand
  27. Mar 19, 2012
    I understand one time online activation DRM, but being forced to create Ubisoft account to be able to play game in offline mode is just big scam for me. And i thought that all those Ubisoft DRM stories were exaggerated, stupid me. I feel so bad for buying game that i will not play single time.
  28. Apr 4, 2012
    I registered with Ubisoft using my email address and by mistake, used the same password that I use for my Gmail address. After about 2 hours, I receive a notice from Gmail that my account had been accessed from an IP address overseas and they recommended that I change my password immediately. In my 7 years of owning that Gmail account, that has never happened to me. USE CAUTION whenI registered with Ubisoft using my email address and by mistake, used the same password that I use for my Gmail address. After about 2 hours, I receive a notice from Gmail that my account had been accessed from an IP address overseas and they recommended that I change my password immediately. In my 7 years of owning that Gmail account, that has never happened to me. USE CAUTION when registering with Ubisoft, as your information is obviously not safe. As for the game, it was a total waste of 50.00. Calling this game a RTS is a crime. If you want to plant tea and rice fields for hours, this game is for you. The tiny amount of combat in this game is laughable. If you are looking for a RTS, move on, nothing to see here.... Expand
  29. Aug 26, 2012
    Don't buy this game from Steam. It will load Uplay then crash. Maybe when I am able to play this I will be able to do a full review, but wanted to warn Steam Customers.
  30. Mar 9, 2013
    Bought it on Steam but apparently Ubisoft wanted to try their own program to invade our privacy. These idiot companies will continue to push us with the assumption they can do whatever they want. I had to log in 3 times with different logins only to find out that Steam screwed their customers by allowing Ubisoft to do this. Now Ubisoft has never heard of me despite the fact I have aBought it on Steam but apparently Ubisoft wanted to try their own program to invade our privacy. These idiot companies will continue to push us with the assumption they can do whatever they want. I had to log in 3 times with different logins only to find out that Steam screwed their customers by allowing Ubisoft to do this. Now Ubisoft has never heard of me despite the fact I have a key. This game gets a zero because even if I could find it on my system, I refuse to do this. Ubisoft won't refund my money so Ubisoft gets no more of my business. Ever. Expand
  31. Jan 20, 2013
    In the light (or dark) or Ubisoft's draconian DRM which not only limit you to 3 activation, but also 3 hardware changes. Meaning, you upgrade graphic cards or RAM 3 times and you're forever locked out of your game! It's not simply 3 installation anymore, no sir! I'm throwing in 0 to offset all those attempts at ramping up the user scores.
  32. Jan 21, 2012
    The game may be good, anyway the draconian ubisoft DRM makes it no buy for me and many other players. **** you **** you won't get my money. I own 500 games on steam, yet i still prefer to pirate your games instead of buying them!
  33. Nov 19, 2011
    I like this game, although just started. This feels first like an expansion to Anno 1404. But it seems that the complexity has increased for this Anno quite a lot, which I actually prefer. The quality is also remarkable. Just the medieval touch as in earlier Anno is here missing, but after playing for few hours "in the future" you dont care actually, in which universe you're playing. ThisI like this game, although just started. This feels first like an expansion to Anno 1404. But it seems that the complexity has increased for this Anno quite a lot, which I actually prefer. The quality is also remarkable. Just the medieval touch as in earlier Anno is here missing, but after playing for few hours "in the future" you dont care actually, in which universe you're playing. This Anno is a finely crafted product and is very absorbing. Expand
  34. Nov 20, 2011
    Anno 2070 is one of the best city-builders. Of course, the atmosphere is not the same as in other titles like Anno 1404 or 1701, but this game is very complex and the graphics are extremely good. This opens a new era for city-builders. We have the past, now it is time for us to build the future. 10/10
  35. Dec 3, 2011
    The freedom is very very limited. You start with very basic building types and can only build more types when you progress, which is a bit frustrating: you're bound to build X, Y and Z. The graphics are amazing, but the gameplay suffers tremendously.
  36. Nov 13, 2012
    A game dedicated for all careful economy and city designers. I prefer it to others such as SimCity or Settlers, as this game has much more content and depth. The graphics and art design are fabulous, the music is a great match, and the whole game has a "relaxing" mood about it. I personally keep coming back to this game after a hard day's work, to expand my island empire and micromanageA game dedicated for all careful economy and city designers. I prefer it to others such as SimCity or Settlers, as this game has much more content and depth. The graphics and art design are fabulous, the music is a great match, and the whole game has a "relaxing" mood about it. I personally keep coming back to this game after a hard day's work, to expand my island empire and micromanage all the trade routes that keep your civilization from collapsing. A true Anno game, but better. Expand
  37. Nov 24, 2011
    Simply amazing game with beautiful graphics and a crazy amount of depth to the gameplay.
    I was not sure how the new setting would be but in the end its a great change for the series.
    If you thought the last Anno games had tons of depth wait till you play the new one! Get ready to put alot of hours into this game, it gets very very addicting! Go pick this game up weither you are a vet of

Go pick this game up weither you are a vet of the Anno series or someone who is brand new, this is one of the best games of 2011, highly reccomended! The campaign is more of a big tutorial that shows you how to play the game, but the real fun starts when you sink your teeth into the sandbox mode. The online is also improved to, so get a mate to play this game with ya!

One more thing, the soundtrack is one of the years best and really fits the feel of this relaxing and entertaining game!
  38. Dec 16, 2011
    This is the best city building game I have ever played. Dont be confused by some of the statements made by fans or advertisers, there is essentially no combat in this game. While there is the ability to build military ships, they do almost nothing, and the game is so heavily geared toward peaceful coexistence that going to war is a practical impossibility. So if you are looking for an RTSThis is the best city building game I have ever played. Dont be confused by some of the statements made by fans or advertisers, there is essentially no combat in this game. While there is the ability to build military ships, they do almost nothing, and the game is so heavily geared toward peaceful coexistence that going to war is a practical impossibility. So if you are looking for an RTS the likes of Startcraft 2, dont even consider this. But if you like city builders, this game is a masterpiece.
    It is very complex. there are 16 different resources necessary to maintain your high level citizens (not to mention the fact that some products require multiple steps of production), and 5-6 building resources, some of which require multiple production resources. It is complex, and yet it still manages to be fairly intuitive. It is a game that is easy to learn, yet hard to master. It is the perfect game for building and maintaining civilizations.
  39. Apr 10, 2012
    DOUBLE POST : Due to a problem with CHROME not release the score meter when I move the most, I placed a 10 when I first wrote this when I wanted to select 0..

Ubisoft's dranocian DRM will make sure I'll never buy or play this game. Who knows, one day they'll wake up and see just how many sales they are losing because of this. Like so many people have said, WHAT I DO WITH MY PC AFTER I BUY THE GAME IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS..
  40. Jul 15, 2012
    I must say that I was a bit ambivalent on buying this game but when I saw it on sale, I gave it a try.

Unfortuanlly so far the only thing I have learned is that I have to register an account on a server that does not responds. I find it it Highly unacceptable not to be able to use a product I have bought and paid for. I understand that an account can be needed for multiplayer

I understand that an account can be needed for multiplayer purposes, but if it is made a requirement for playing then It has to work
  41. Apr 8, 2013
    I actually really like this game, but unfortunately, the DRM means it gets 0 points. I've been an avid player of this game for 335 hours (according to Steam) but recently hit my activation limit due to some operating system issues. I submitted a request to Ubisoft Support to reset the counter and no reply in over six days. I purchased all the DLC and recent expansion, so they haveI actually really like this game, but unfortunately, the DRM means it gets 0 points. I've been an avid player of this game for 335 hours (according to Steam) but recently hit my activation limit due to some operating system issues. I submitted a request to Ubisoft Support to reset the counter and no reply in over six days. I purchased all the DLC and recent expansion, so they have basically stolen 70 dollars. Steam Support is unwilling to help in this matter. It is to the point I may have to pirate it to play a game I legally own. Way to fail. Expand
  42. Dec 20, 2011
    I don't usually enjoy games in the simulation category but anno 2070 hooked me, great graphics sound with very approachable and easy to learn mechanics a senate and world council voting system brings a sense of community and bonuses based on player votes the world over and to top it all your "ark" allows enduring bonuses to be carried from one game to another connecting your many empiresI don't usually enjoy games in the simulation category but anno 2070 hooked me, great graphics sound with very approachable and easy to learn mechanics a senate and world council voting system brings a sense of community and bonuses based on player votes the world over and to top it all your "ark" allows enduring bonuses to be carried from one game to another connecting your many empires to each other. Expand
  43. Mar 5, 2012
    They left a lot out. I started out the game, and it was a 10/10, but the longer I played it the worse it got. There's literally no city customization at all. You just get resources, build a city center, and build a city. You can't put walls around it, or customize the buildings or anything. You just do the same thing over and over and over again. They should've added a lot more. Some ofThey left a lot out. I started out the game, and it was a 10/10, but the longer I played it the worse it got. There's literally no city customization at all. You just get resources, build a city center, and build a city. You can't put walls around it, or customize the buildings or anything. You just do the same thing over and over and over again. They should've added a lot more. Some of the game mechanics have a lot to be desired, plus there are basically no ships. You should be able to build massive super ships like the raider's massive battleship. If you could do stuff like this on a massive map, rather than one with about 10 island or whatever that's pretty small, and you can't do a lot with ports. Plus, I hate the way fisheries and stuff work, They have to have a massive amount of area, for a small fishery. It's like they can't just row out to sea, they have to have it laid out right in front of them. Trading routes have a lot to be desired. They're very buggy and hard to use. The ports are a bit bland, and there's not a lot you can do with them. Aircraft are dull and boring to use, as are submarines. Overall it's a bit bland, and I was expecting more. The only 10/10 are the graphics. They were unbelievable. Expand
  44. Nov 21, 2011
    What can i say... Iam NOT a anno fan but this version make it even word to play it and discovered everything in this game. The easy single play campaign its more a huge tutorial make the game easy to master or let me sat try to build a "stable city" now this game is all about the sandbox, the continue endless game. I just to good to be true so far i played over 20 hours and still iWhat can i say... Iam NOT a anno fan but this version make it even word to play it and discovered everything in this game. The easy single play campaign its more a huge tutorial make the game easy to master or let me sat try to build a "stable city" now this game is all about the sandbox, the continue endless game. I just to good to be true so far i played over 20 hours and still i discovery more, so this game keeps refreshing it self. My point of view for the none anno fans keep it a try you will be happy iam sure about that one. Expand
  45. Jan 29, 2012
    Like the poster below said, this game will absolutely DEVOUR your time. The game is incredible complex, and the attention to detail is what makes the game one of a kind. So many different kind of supply chains yet the interface allows you to easily keep track of which area you need to work on. A great and worthy successor to Anno 1404!
  46. Jul 13, 2012
    Great game. Good graphics. Fun tech tree. The people rating it low are DRM haters who dont know how to use computers. The rest just aren't very good at playing video games that require alot of skill. Great game 10/10.
  47. Nov 20, 2011
    Great city builder, true to it's predecessors. I always loved the Anno series and this is no exception. The new futuristic setting is a bit different from what we know but it works. The story is that pollution on Earth caused global floods and the survivors are trying to rebuild the civilization on small islands and under water. The gameplay is great, the basic concept is that you mustGreat city builder, true to it's predecessors. I always loved the Anno series and this is no exception. The new futuristic setting is a bit different from what we know but it works. The story is that pollution on Earth caused global floods and the survivors are trying to rebuild the civilization on small islands and under water. The gameplay is great, the basic concept is that you must build a mega city using limited resources and - more importantly - limited building space. The UI is really intuitive and easy to use and the game is fairly complex, as a city builder should be. You need to pay attention to all the aspects of your colony if you want it to grow and prosper, industry, trade, research, needs of citizens, military... I didn't have time to test multiplayer yet, but i expect it to be great fun as it was in the previous annos. The visuals are really pretty, the game has good graphics for it's genre, and the artists who made the models and terrain did a really great job.
    The reason i won't give this game 10/10 is the annoying ubisoft DRM. If you can ignore it like i do buy this game, it is a real gem.
  48. Nov 20, 2011
    Great Game! Greetings to all fans! Powerful, beautiful World. The game does not get tired quickly. The creators tried to. This game is a great success. 10/10
  49. Dec 21, 2011
    Love the game, love that its not easy, but not TOO hard. It will keep you guessing and trying new things. I bought it when it came out and didnt mind paying the large $ for it. It is a twist between Civilization and Simcity. If yo uliked both of those games, you will love this.
  50. Jan 3, 2014
    Doesn't matter how good or bad this game is. It is unplayable due to the DRM. Don't buy stuff from companies that treat their loyal customers as criminals.

The only thing that sets this game apart from the other versions released in the past is its money grab DLC scheme, and its anti customer DRM. You will be much happier if you just get an older edition of this game. They are all

You will be much happier if you just get an older edition of this game. They are all really good.
  51. Dec 26, 2012
    I held off on this because of the 3 activation limit and the DRM issue. I had to give in when it was in the Steam Xmas sale. The activation limit is not a big deal as contacting support gets more activations with no hassle. Purchasing and running through Steam should be enough to take care of the piracy issue without the UPlay layer but there is an offline mode and Steam and UPlay workI held off on this because of the 3 activation limit and the DRM issue. I had to give in when it was in the Steam Xmas sale. The activation limit is not a big deal as contacting support gets more activations with no hassle. Purchasing and running through Steam should be enough to take care of the piracy issue without the UPlay layer but there is an offline mode and Steam and UPlay work fine together. The game itself is wow just amazing as deep and rich as you want it to be and just so addictive. Expand
  52. Jan 3, 2013
    This is city building/resource management at its finest. If you are looking for a game that is more of an RTS then you will likely be disappointed as combat does not feature as a large part of gameplay. If you enjoyed sim city, civilization, and/or caeser, then this is up your alley. The gameplay does get a bit tedious at times, but like all long play style management games it has a goodThis is city building/resource management at its finest. If you are looking for a game that is more of an RTS then you will likely be disappointed as combat does not feature as a large part of gameplay. If you enjoyed sim city, civilization, and/or caeser, then this is up your alley. The gameplay does get a bit tedious at times, but like all long play style management games it has a good old fashioned save feature so you can come back after doing something else. Worth the time and money. Expand
  53. Oct 19, 2013
    If you are buying on steam, beware! It won't actually be using steam to launch the game and keep it updated. Instead, it will install its on launcher steam-esque program on your computer (called uPlay). The amount of time to get from installed to actually playing was so long (included creating a uplay account, logging into some service, updating the game again through uplay even thoughIf you are buying on steam, beware! It won't actually be using steam to launch the game and keep it updated. Instead, it will install its on launcher steam-esque program on your computer (called uPlay). The amount of time to get from installed to actually playing was so long (included creating a uplay account, logging into some service, updating the game again through uplay even though it was just downloaded. But, I was a trooper, and pushed through. Unfortunately, the bland, uninteresting game that followed was a huge let down. The menu system was slick, and looked promising, but the gameplay was bland and uninspired. When coupled with the unwanted stuff it came with, not really using the steam system (the game is tied to your uplay account after you run it, not your steam account), this is a definite do not buy. I feel like Tropico 4 scratches the same itch in a MUCH better package and in a much less annoying way. Expand
  54. Dec 26, 2013
    How many bloody hurdles do I have to jump through to get this game to play? Rating low for now. Not an enjoyable starting experience. Let's hope the game is better than the effort required to get started playing.
  55. Mar 10, 2014
    I've played this city builder/economic simulator for around 100 hours, now, and STILL it can surprise me. This game is HUGE. It never ends, there's always something new to discover. It has a high learnign curve but after quite a lot of hours of play, things become really interesting and you begin to understand how wide is this game, how differently a mission could be played and differentlyI've played this city builder/economic simulator for around 100 hours, now, and STILL it can surprise me. This game is HUGE. It never ends, there's always something new to discover. It has a high learnign curve but after quite a lot of hours of play, things become really interesting and you begin to understand how wide is this game, how differently a mission could be played and differently things can evolve.
    I've played a lot of missions but quite never reached the end of the production chain. Every game I play has something new, some new feature or mechanic to discover. It is really big, if you look at all the structures and technologies you will have to handle in a late game, you'll be astonished.

I just cannot stop playing it. Great game for any fan of economic management, production chain handling and city building.
  56. Jan 5, 2014
    Even with an existing UPlay account, it took me over two hours after my Steam download had completed just to get to the main menu of the game.

- First, it wants to install UPlay. - Then it wants to patch Uplay several times - Then it asks for a product key - Then it runs an autopatcher for the game itself - Then it asks for another product key - Then it crashes a couple of times

- First, it wants to install UPlay.
    - Then it wants to patch Uplay several times
    - Then it asks for a product key
    - Then it runs an autopatcher for the game itself
    - Then it asks for another product key
    - Then it crashes a couple of times
    - Then it asks to register another useless account
    - Then it asks for another product key
    - Then it kicks you out of the game to download the DLC
    - Then you have to login to everything again, and 70% of the time, the connection fails
    - Then it spams you with offers for some "free"-to-play crap
    - Then it asks you to fill out a survey

If you're lucky you might then be able to actually play the game. By that stage I chose not to. I've played other games with UPlay integration, such as Far Cry 3 and Rocksmith, and its annoying, but relatively painless. Anno 2070 is just god-awful in every way. I doubt I'll bother with any Ubisoft games until they sort their rubbish DRM out.
  57. Dec 3, 2011
    Underwater cities, massive air/sea battles, and sushi... oh my. Just like the rest of the Anno series, this game presents hours of appeal and challenge for all style of sim/strategy gamers. It can be as easy or tough as you wish to make it, and that's not even messing with the game settings. You can chose to be one of 2 factions, or eventually in your game progression take on aspectsUnderwater cities, massive air/sea battles, and sushi... oh my. Just like the rest of the Anno series, this game presents hours of appeal and challenge for all style of sim/strategy gamers. It can be as easy or tough as you wish to make it, and that's not even messing with the game settings. You can chose to be one of 2 factions, or eventually in your game progression take on aspects (fully if you wish) of both AND a sub faction! And the truly fun part about it in my opinion is that it's not just about throwing up tons of production buildings and building a massive army to conquer the world... actually, wait... strike that, it can be about that! Or you can balance trade and diplomacy and have allies fight for you. Or not even fight at all!

The touch of balancing an ecosystem at the same time is fantastic! Fantastic in the fact that you don't have to necessarily balance the ecosystem at all if you don't want. Whether you don't mind strip mining an entire land down to bedrock to grab as much resources as possible early on or tactfully balance your production and resources for the long run without having to pickup and move around in search of more is really fun.

This is one of the truly first games I've ever played where the replayability is so high because you can completely tweak the way you play even when your halfway through a game already. This game is well worth it to purchase off the get-go!
  58. Nov 23, 2011
    The game is as addictive as Annos always are. It is great for city-building/management games fans: nice graphics and always something to tweak or improve. I should complain that much of the game is recycled from Anno 1404 and while there are many new things, essentially the game feels much like future total conversion of 1404. Other things I'm a bit disappointed is the lack of properThe game is as addictive as Annos always are. It is great for city-building/management games fans: nice graphics and always something to tweak or improve. I should complain that much of the game is recycled from Anno 1404 and while there are many new things, essentially the game feels much like future total conversion of 1404. Other things I'm a bit disappointed is the lack of proper AI-opponents in continuous play. Instead you only get NPC-type third parties that do expand and interact with you. I'm not yet 100% sure if I like them a bit less or much less than "real" AIs.

Overall I find myself spending hours and hours of time playing this game which should be enough to speak for itself. This game is hardly innovative as almost 90% of the content has been seen in previous Anno-games in some form or another but it is high quality and well refined.
  59. May 9, 2012
    Fine, complex game that lives up to their predecessors. Some few new and originals features where added like underwater mining and a base of operation one can upgrade and move from one game to another, but the core of the game is the same as in previous Anno titles. Graphic is beautifully, music also is superb. It is one of the best economy simulation on the market right now. The onlyFine, complex game that lives up to their predecessors. Some few new and originals features where added like underwater mining and a base of operation one can upgrade and move from one game to another, but the core of the game is the same as in previous Anno titles. Graphic is beautifully, music also is superb. It is one of the best economy simulation on the market right now. The only downside for this title is the greedy approach of Ubisoft releasing stupid-priced dlc's with nothing much more than cosmetic stuff and few units. Otherwise it is superb title, one of few that was not dumbed down to EA games level. Expand
  60. Dec 13, 2011
    Game is true to previous ANNO and is satisfying to play. Thankfully they did away with the irritating building and moving of armies and replaced it with more fluid air craft.
    Campaign, however, is frustratingly simple. HOURS are wasted with hand holding and slow teaching, literally 2 thirds into the game is when the tutorial stops. Perhaps this is because I have played other ANNO that i thought it was simple, but it got boring. No pirates to deal with either, (or any faction to fill the niche) which is disappointing. and for some reason they kept the annoying wheres waldo sidequests which i still hate,

still alot of fun though
  61. Nov 23, 2011
    This game is beatifully designed to be one of that games that you will never forget, like the first time you play Age of Empires 2 or Simcity. It got wonderful details on everything. Nature looks very good, the buildings are well made and the effects are awesome. The only part wich I dislike on this game it is popularity, online community seem to be not enough, but despite that the game isThis game is beatifully designed to be one of that games that you will never forget, like the first time you play Age of Empires 2 or Simcity. It got wonderful details on everything. Nature looks very good, the buildings are well made and the effects are awesome. The only part wich I dislike on this game it is popularity, online community seem to be not enough, but despite that the game is awesome, If you like strategic or city managing games, this is for you! Expand
  62. Nov 22, 2011
    New to the series, I just bought the game on Steam. I love city building and don't know how I missed the series but Blue Byte caught my attention. They made the original Settlers which was an all-time favorite with all its short comings. Anyhow, the only bad thing about the game is that I just played for 10 hours straight and have no idea how I will wake up for work tomorrow. JustNew to the series, I just bought the game on Steam. I love city building and don't know how I missed the series but Blue Byte caught my attention. They made the original Settlers which was an all-time favorite with all its short comings. Anyhow, the only bad thing about the game is that I just played for 10 hours straight and have no idea how I will wake up for work tomorrow. Just fabulous! It is intuitive, easy, and deep as a city builder can get. I suggest you just play Continuous Game rather than the missions. Have fun! Expand
  63. Nov 24, 2011
    Played the game and love it not a single dull moment always active and growing! Can't get enough! Recommend it to all my friends and future ones to come.
  64. Nov 28, 2011
    I made an account here just to review this game. I never played any Anno games in this series and only played this one, but this game is really something. The features of World President voting and Current & World Events are not implemented in other RTS's on the market right now. Everything in the world affects your game! The graphic is beautiful, the music is enchanting, and the game-playI made an account here just to review this game. I never played any Anno games in this series and only played this one, but this game is really something. The features of World President voting and Current & World Events are not implemented in other RTS's on the market right now. Everything in the world affects your game! The graphic is beautiful, the music is enchanting, and the game-play will keep you up for hours just like the Civilization series. This is not a traditional RTS game where you can build units really fast and go crush the enemies. It is more than that, and it makes the word 'strategy' more important than ever. Multiplayer is hard because this game takes time, but there is a save and load system that works for multiplayer so you can shoot up a map alone, and then have someone join you later in multiplayer. Please buy this game and support Blue Byte, even though we all know Ubisoft DRM policy is ridiculous. This game is a real gem and I have not seen anything like it before. There are lots of things you can do in the game and lots of NPC's to interact with and lots of special items that you can discover. You will not regret buying this game, because it will makes you really happy when you see your islands fill with bustling futuristic cities, pretty worker robots deliver your goods, and your production buildings busy producing things for your cities. The underwater world is also very pretty and crucial to your nation's development. Everything about this game is great!!! Expand
  65. Dec 1, 2011
    The sense of cheerfulness that was present in anno 1404 is somewhat missing in this game, replaced by somewhat gloomy setting of environmental problems. Even the colours used in the environment are darker to that of anno 1404. Everything feels more natural than the little cartoonish setting of anno 1404. This might be better for some, but for me this is a drawback as I play games to takeThe sense of cheerfulness that was present in anno 1404 is somewhat missing in this game, replaced by somewhat gloomy setting of environmental problems. Even the colours used in the environment are darker to that of anno 1404. Everything feels more natural than the little cartoonish setting of anno 1404. This might be better for some, but for me this is a drawback as I play games to take myself away from reality. Rest everything is great. The underwater addition is good and having 3 playable factions is better (though you play 2 at any particular time). If you look in the details then anno 1404 had more detailed animations i.e. you saw more people working in the fields and doing stuff. Here everything seems to be done automatically by machines. So overall, great game to play but the game environment is a bit of a letdown from anno 1404. Expand
  66. Dec 2, 2011
    I've only made an account at metacritic to let you know Anno 2070 is a true gem. It is not only looking sexy, but it is also deep, involved and relaxing, at the same time. A perfect remedy to a busy working day. When I play this game, I feel happy, chill and just want to play more. Frankly that's more than enough for me!
    I give it a 10, because it worths it. Anno2070 is the underdog I was
    I give it a 10, because it worths it. Anno2070 is the underdog I was always looking for many years...
  67. Dec 23, 2011
    I really loved dawn of discovery played for well over 200 hours and i think this one is even better then that..love both factions, if you like anno this one is a well done future version .
  68. Jan 5, 2012
    Stunning visuals, but I wouldn't reccomend it to people who have played anno 1404, the user interface is very much the same. There are just way too many different resources to get to make stuff that the people want. I know what your'e gonna say, it's what makes the game difficult and fun to play, but it's just too difficult and has average gameplay. Going under water is a wonderfulStunning visuals, but I wouldn't reccomend it to people who have played anno 1404, the user interface is very much the same. There are just way too many different resources to get to make stuff that the people want. I know what your'e gonna say, it's what makes the game difficult and fun to play, but it's just too difficult and has average gameplay. Going under water is a wonderful edition to the game, but all in all, it just doesn't improve the game, not for me anyway. Expand
  69. Jan 30, 2012
    Re my last post - you would think that the owners of this site would make the score a mandatory field, not just accept that you selected 10, because the top and bottom scores on this ridiculous sliding scale, default to 10!
  70. Feb 1, 2012
    This game has a lot of potential. However, not all of it is realised.
    There are some very fun and interesting concepts and the graphics are amazing.
    If this game gets patched and update more frequently, it will surely be a big hit. On the side note, the so-call offline mode in Ann o2070 is almost non-existent. If you dont have an internet connection, u can load the game but you would have
    This game has a lot of potential. However, not all of it is realised.
    There are some very fun and interesting concepts and the graphics are amazing.

On the side note, the so-call offline mode in Ann o2070 is almost non-existent. If you dont have an internet connection, u can load the game but you would have to log in to play which you cant as you are not connected to the server. This overlook in the game is disappointing.
  71. Mar 7, 2012
    Anno 2070 was my hope for a cross between an RTS game akin to Supreme Commander or Command and Conquer and a city builder game like Simcity. What I got was a game that quietly blends both together, nearly seamlessly, but fails to be exceptional at either. It feels like a "Lite" city builder with combat and RTS elements tagged on as an afterthought. The persistent world characteristics areAnno 2070 was my hope for a cross between an RTS game akin to Supreme Commander or Command and Conquer and a city builder game like Simcity. What I got was a game that quietly blends both together, nearly seamlessly, but fails to be exceptional at either. It feels like a "Lite" city builder with combat and RTS elements tagged on as an afterthought. The persistent world characteristics are neat, with people being able to take live missions and vote for the world council, but in reality it matters very little. I also found that the game has a rather annoying framerate issue, which should not happen on a PC with specs as high as mine. There is no reason Anno should jitter while games like The Witcher 2 and Skyrim run perfectly, Couple this with the always online Ubisoft DRM and it starts to become a hassle to play. I bought the game hoping for a city builder meets RTS hybrid, and what I got was an "okay" game that excels at neither, and is bogged down by Facebook integration, social media pandering, and draconian DRM. Expand
  72. Oct 29, 2012
    I love strategy games, unfortunately I bought this thinking that it was one. Anno 2070 is dogs balls boring, dont waste your cash, the pretty graphics and eco sound track are nice but there is no game here to be had hence the score of 2. Despite being patched to the very latest version of the game there are still bugs like a strange warning about running out of memory when I can alt tabI love strategy games, unfortunately I bought this thinking that it was one. Anno 2070 is dogs balls boring, dont waste your cash, the pretty graphics and eco sound track are nice but there is no game here to be had hence the score of 2. Despite being patched to the very latest version of the game there are still bugs like a strange warning about running out of memory when I can alt tab and see there is easily 1.5GB left on my machine. You cant even buy a unit to defend yourself until you have ascended to level 3 which takes about 3 hours! The original civilisation or starcraft games kick this game for six and they came out like 10 years ago.. ok rant over with ... YOU WERE WARNED. Expand
  73. Jan 17, 2012
    The Anno series has always been a fairly good series of city building games and Anno 2070 is no different. The main difference between 2070 and earlier iterations is the setting. They have created a believable near future where the world is mainly under water. The graphics representing the setting are nothing short of astounding. The mechanics of the game is nothing hudely different fromThe Anno series has always been a fairly good series of city building games and Anno 2070 is no different. The main difference between 2070 and earlier iterations is the setting. They have created a believable near future where the world is mainly under water. The graphics representing the setting are nothing short of astounding. The mechanics of the game is nothing hudely different from earlier games. The production chains are similar as our the the city building mechanics. There is a welcome addition of two different factions. You can choose whether you want to be the green loving Eco's or the polluting Tycoons, both with different buildings advantages and disadvantages. You are also able to build underwater bases and Science faction buildings. All in all this makes for a diverse game. The one problem with all the games has returned with 2070 though. There is no real way of making the city your own. Like a maths puzzle, you figure out a way of working it out and then the only challenge is refining your workings out. There are hardly any decorative buildings and the area limitations on buildings mean you are limited as to how you place your buildings. I would say the lack of city customization is really the only thing holding back the Anno games from being classics! Expand
  74. Apr 8, 2012
    I'm an early 30s gamer and I love simulation games: Capitisim II, Simcity (All of them), Civilization Series, Tycoon Games, Flight Simulators, Cities XL. I've even tinkered with the Supreme Ruler games.

With that in mind, I looked forward to this game. After playing it, all I could think was how much I hated this game. Going through the tutorial I had a few feelings: 1. I was bored 2.

1. I was bored
    2. I felt the urge to drink
    3. I felt the urge to slit my wrists and uninstall.

All this after having to enter the CD Key twice and set up a Ubi-whatever account even as a pre-existing Steam user. Compound that with the fact Steam still insists on selling this turd that's unfit for firing at your enemies via catapult for a handsome price of $79.95. I've yet to see it discounted, let alone sold for it's true value: $17 from Ubisoft and 2 hours of your life back.
  75. Aug 1, 2012
    The game looks great. Very nice presentation, fairly easy to use UI, but like many of the other reviewers, it didn't draw me in. I played it for a few days and just got tired of it. I can't put my finger on anything that made me tired of it, I just put it down.
  76. Jun 23, 2012
    Moving to future was a very bad move. Anno series have always been about history, i.e. city-building and economic management in various eras of human history. The graphics are nice and the usual game mechanism is still there, but the time setting ruined everything. They turned an awesome historical game into just another futuristic crap we see popping up everywhere lately.
  77. Dec 5, 2011
    If we are lovers of the game "management", this title should not be missed on our shelves. We are in 2070, the glaciers have melted and the water has risen submerging much of the globe surface and leaving only strips of land and islands. We find and manage to colonize these islands. We can choose 3 main factions: environmentalists, scientists, industrialists and technology. We buildIf we are lovers of the game "management", this title should not be missed on our shelves. We are in 2070, the glaciers have melted and the water has risen submerging much of the globe surface and leaving only strips of land and islands. We find and manage to colonize these islands. We can choose 3 main factions: environmentalists, scientists, industrialists and technology. We build cities, extract resources, improve technology and colonize other islands. We will also build underwater laboratory to extract resources from the seabed, open trade routes with other players, and once colonized other islands, to shift resources from island to island (or as-game, for those who played, you had to move resources from planet to planet). Graphics very beautiful, with buildings and structures very well animated and imaginative. Very interesting that the online community game, in which (in addition to multiplayer) every time we vote for the governor's World, which give different benefits depending on the candidate. Once all players have voted the world, all of the privileges of the governor goderemo winning until the next elections. The campaign is not fabulous, but there still so much fun to do as a free construction. I was likely to buy it, but once I played there are more detached. Outstanding, very special and innovative. Expand
  78. Nov 24, 2011
    Despite the complete permutation from past to the future, Anno 2070 has lived up to its expectations, most definitely. Transition to future is going to evolve new class of fans as well. There is always room for improvement, though. Some drawbacks are there, such as really short campaign, certain (should have been) improvements in interface and rest of the game which could be better butDespite the complete permutation from past to the future, Anno 2070 has lived up to its expectations, most definitely. Transition to future is going to evolve new class of fans as well. There is always room for improvement, though. Some drawbacks are there, such as really short campaign, certain (should have been) improvements in interface and rest of the game which could be better but still you get that typical Anno-Feeling (ah....I feel home!). Let's keep our fingers crossed for the Patches & add-On(s), hope they won't take too long. With superb graphics, fantastic online features, its a worthy successor of Anno Series. Expand
  79. Dec 7, 2011
    Stunning graphics and even more complex and enjoyable than Anno 1404. Though, I think they should have added another revolutionary element to the game to really make it stand out next to Anno 1404.
    Adding up, an excellent game with amazing graphics that is definetely worth buying!
  80. Dec 29, 2011
    I had to register to Metacritic only because of this game! Anything below an 8 for this game is unfair. It's is amazingly fun and it captured me from the first seconds I started the game. Already in the menu I loved the game. Sure - they could have made the campaign better. I would like the story to be more immense and be more about Ecos against Tycoons. The campaign was like a longI had to register to Metacritic only because of this game! Anything below an 8 for this game is unfair. It's is amazingly fun and it captured me from the first seconds I started the game. Already in the menu I loved the game. Sure - they could have made the campaign better. I would like the story to be more immense and be more about Ecos against Tycoons. The campaign was like a long tutorial. But the game mechanics, the graphics, the message and everything around the game in itself (like voting and statistics and other online functionalities) is awesome. This game easily deserves a 10. Now I wait with great anticipation for an expansion. Expand
  81. Jan 30, 2012
    By far the best game of the Anno Series. I played it since Anno 1604 and i can say that they managed to keep the good things up and fixing the bad. Very good graphics (very detailed) combined with the well known Anno playstyle rounds it up. I was a bit sceptical about the Sci-fi theme but i liked it after all.
    The only con is UBI Soft .. unfortunatly they promote a bunch of pretty good
    The only con is UBI Soft .. unfortunatly they promote a bunch of pretty good games, including this one.
  82. Nov 11, 2012
    Anno 2070 is certainly not a game for everyone. If you like city builders, economics, and max/min playing, this game will last you a long time. Also remember the game is about a balance between beauty and functionality. Do not buy this game for the combat or the campaign.
  83. May 11, 2012
    I have gone through and read a lot of reviews on this game before purchasing, and got a good idea what to expect. I'm into simulation RTS games, so I knew this was a good fit for me. With negative reviews in mind, I think that people "dislike" this game because of Ubisoft's launcher and DRM problems. I, however, have not had this problem once. I purchased this game on Steam and it hasI have gone through and read a lot of reviews on this game before purchasing, and got a good idea what to expect. I'm into simulation RTS games, so I knew this was a good fit for me. With negative reviews in mind, I think that people "dislike" this game because of Ubisoft's launcher and DRM problems. I, however, have not had this problem once. I purchased this game on Steam and it has worked wonderfully.

Gameplay:
    Very addicting. As a new player it took a lot of time for me to advance my construction options, but learning the game and that entire process was a thrill for me. After finally mastering one class on a difficult mission with slow, paced progress (30+ hours) I truly began to appreciate how the game operates. After more gameplay, I realized that although many games start with the same set of movements and patterns, the variety of objectives gives a lot of alternative and creativity for how the player can meet the objective.

I see many more hours of gameplay for me, and so far the content released after ship has been worthwhile, as has the mission pack DLC. Because of this, I see my relationship with this game and its developers staying positive and this game remain in my memory as a good one.... as long as the DRM continues to operate for me :)
  84. Apr 26, 2012
    Highly addictive game, will keep you playing for hours in continuous mode!! I would love to give this game 10/10, however there are a few details Ubisoft needs to work on.

1) Larger maps
    2) More selection of merchant and military ships as well as aircraft
    3) Larger islands

Few details, however I think are important in continuous mode. Other than that highly recommended!!
  85. May 22, 2012
    A weird game that works kind of like a city-building sim with an RTS type interface. Gameplay seems a bit gimmicky and unsatisfying, and the campaign is basically a dull chain of just performing actions an advisor tells you to. Graphically beautiful and sounds intriguing, but doesn't really deliver.
  86. May 22, 2012
    Anno 2070... Are you the kind of player that enjoys a vast experience?

Review Focusing on the gameplay... Multiplayer Review Near The Bottom Of Post... Anno 2070 presents a new twist to an old franchise... They did outstanding with this game.... Aside from the graphics it offers many other great features... Whether you want to create a massive fleet and takeout all who stand in your
    Anno 2070... Are you the kind of player that enjoys a vast experience?

Anno 2070 presents a new twist to an old franchise... They did outstanding with this game.... Aside from the graphics it offers many other great features... Whether you want to create a massive fleet and takeout all who stand in your way, Peacefully coexist in a world where you have it all, or just get all the cool tech **** This game is just plain intriguing. If I had to imagine a world where humans where nearly whiped out due to global warming and were now living on small islands in a sea filled world I would imagine something like anno 2070... So what should you expect if you decide to purchase or continue playing 2070? I would tell you to imagine not only creating, but managing your own empire in very close detail, along the way you will find many great gems such as the Techs. This game demands both time and strategic thinking... This is one of those games where you will only learn by trial and error... HINT: Play your first game out completely... Don't quit when you have learned from some of your mistakes, You should definitely take as much away from game one as possible... Experience all the levels of people you can in game one if possible because if not you will find yourself stopping game two right after you learn your next tier of lessons... Take my word on it... Anyways if your looking for a game that will give you a very nice BANG for your Buck... I would recomend purchasing anno 2070... Not only because it's a great game, but because this is one of those gems every Strategy Gamer should experience in their life... Review Multiplayer:
    From what i have experienced Anno 2070 actually makes you feel like your in a global setting through the senate and global stats. Not only are these things compelling, but they have just added a new game type/mode, Conquest... This takes multi-player to a whole new level... Conquest is in it's beta stages, but is available to all players. The way multiplayer works aside from conquest is you can invite or create an open game where others may join you on the map you have chosen to host. The gameplay doesn't change drastically aside from having somebody in your space that may enjoy racing you to all the islands or blocking off your trading routes... These things make multiplayer a very rich/fresh environment...

Final Thoughts: It's a damn shame that more people aren't grouping up to create a nice english anno 2070 gaming group... If you agree with this then email me... After recieving 10 emails ill reply with a raidcall group id name and you can come in and enjoy speaking with other anno players... Rating: 9/10 -Would have a 10 if the combat was a bit more detailed... It's basically a rock/paper/scissors combat style with a small amount of ships/aircraft/units... Still is very fun although war-type players won't exactly have their hands full it definitely gets the job done... The nukes are nice too =P
  87. Dec 23, 2012
    While the visuals are pretty good this game was a sore let down. a "story driven campaign" that is painfully buggy, massively hand-hold-y, and frustratingly dumb downed.... kings quest had the courtesy of killing me when I didn't do things the way the game designers wanted me to. I spent 2 hours trying to figure out why my town would not feed itself despite 4 roads to a overflowingWhile the visuals are pretty good this game was a sore let down. a "story driven campaign" that is painfully buggy, massively hand-hold-y, and frustratingly dumb downed.... kings quest had the courtesy of killing me when I didn't do things the way the game designers wanted me to. I spent 2 hours trying to figure out why my town would not feed itself despite 4 roads to a overflowing warehouse of the correct food- when restarting the game and minimally building allowed me to build the farm people would actually use... . If I could get a refund on my steam account, I would. play sim city instead. Expand
  88. Jul 10, 2012
    Wasted so many hours in this game hoping to get something in return for my 10$ but received nothing. Everything in this game except graphics is terrible. Interface is an unintuitive mess. There is no tutorial. Campaign is buggy and boring. Quests are simplier then in any free MMORPG. I had to repeat two missions because of bugs. Gameplay is repetive, linear and overcomplicated(resourcesWasted so many hours in this game hoping to get something in return for my 10$ but received nothing. Everything in this game except graphics is terrible. Interface is an unintuitive mess. There is no tutorial. Campaign is buggy and boring. Quests are simplier then in any free MMORPG. I had to repeat two missions because of bugs. Gameplay is repetive, linear and overcomplicated(resources and trade routes!) without a reason. I I do not recommend this game to anyone because there are far better games out there like civilization or total war. Collapse
  89. Jan 31, 2013
    I have spent over 200 hours playing this game and would never take those hours back. It is visually pleasant, moderately challenging and a joy to see a futuristic civilisation grow and prosper. The fact that there is nothing in the resource production lines that seems remotely impossible really catches me.
  90. May 25, 2014
    This is by far the best world builder I have ever played. I am a big fan of the Anno series as a whole, but this iteration takes the cake. The game play is natural and intuitive for beginners, yet still challenging for experienced players. The engine is brilliant, providing balanced game play throughout and it never crashes, as was the biggest problem with previous iterations of thisThis is by far the best world builder I have ever played. I am a big fan of the Anno series as a whole, but this iteration takes the cake. The game play is natural and intuitive for beginners, yet still challenging for experienced players. The engine is brilliant, providing balanced game play throughout and it never crashes, as was the biggest problem with previous iterations of this series. Lastly, the graphics are magnificent. Even at mid to low quality settings the game's appearance is breath taking. In my hundreds of hours of playing I have probably spent a good 10-12 hours simply admiring what is presented in the game and what is presented. As a manager and aspiring urban planner, I found this game too good to be true. In the best way possible Anno 2070 has become an alternate reality for me and, given my interests, and vastly fulfilling creative outlet for economic management and urban design.

The game is extraordinarily complex. After six months of regular playing I am still learning new facts about the game and discovering things I have never noticed before, e.g.terrain details, interfacing options, commentary and technology. It helps that the developers regularly update and enhance the game. For instance, after having played Anno for about 3 months I noticed that the music was suddenly different. There was an entirely new track that I had never heard before. This was quite refreshing given that my expectation from other games is that you have a 30-60 minute soundtrack on a loop that never changes. As is the theme with all Anno games, the resource supply chains are by far the most intricate element of Anno 2070 except that they are arguably even better than what is in previous versions. Instead of supplying resources for essentially one civilization throughout you can and, at a certain stage of the game, must develop resources for up to 3 distinct civilizations. If you like creating and managing resources this is a game you must try.

A note on DRM. I played Sim City 5 and absolutely hated the DRM used in that game. It was intrusive, poorly planned and poorly executed. Ergo, I am a critic of DRM and generally steer clear of it. However, although many are scathing of the DRM component of this the game, I have found that it is not that bad. In fact, it is not bad at all. I would say that it is actually a boon for the game and motivates me to keep on playing given that there are new missions, campaigns and challenges that are regularly offered only because there is a regular internet connection. And, unlike some other games, you can start, play and save this game without an internet connection. Anno 2070 has demonstrated to me that a developer can plan and execute a DRM system that is mutually beneficial for both creator and user. If other game developers adopted Anno's approach the entire issue of DRM would likely diminish into obscurity. Do not be phased about what people say regarding DRM in Anno 2070. It is a reactionary response to the idea of DRM rather than a reflective commentary of how it actually is.

I have played many other games of this type (Civilization, Age of Empires, Tropico, Simcity, Rise of Nations, etc.) but this game exceeds them all insofar as you are motivated to play the game from start to finish. At no point is there a lull in game play or a point where you feel like you have "figured the game out" and it is just boring repetition for the same types of rewards. There is a level of repetition in the game, but it is a meaningful kind of repetition that is goal driven and exciting. This game is certainly not for everyone, but if you are like me and you like to get deeply involved in your gaming experience this is a game you must buy.
  91. Mar 21, 2013
    I recently bought this game while it was on sale on Steam and so far I do like it. So some thoughts:

The Good: Its pretty. The graphics are very nice indeed. I am only on the second chapter of the campaign and it has been fun to play. I haven't played many city builder type games and am having fun so far. Really that's key to me, you know? Is it fun? Graphics can suck but still be a good fun game. They can be beautiful and have lousy gameplay.. Simcity anyone?

The Moderate: Voice acting is really sub-par. There have been moments when I just click ok to make an avatar stop talking. It can be that bad. As a new player to the genre I found getting started to be somewhat difficult in that not many things are explained well or at all. For example almost every building type needs to be directly connected to a road, so you can't build houses in rows of more than 2 otherwise the inside row will go unhappy and people will leave even though you can see people wandering off-road. Limiting and silly. The tutorialfirst mission I think could be a lot better. It seems to expect you to know what you are doing already. It was frustrating at first but I found a decent lets play on youtube which helped tremendously.

The Bad (with caveats): DLC spam seems to be rampant in this one with something like 13 separate DLC packs ranging from $0.99 to $29.99. That's part of why I waited for a sale to purchase. I got all the DLC in one pack for an extra six bucks. Most of it is pretty useless, adding things like hedgerows and other minor things to build that add aesthetically but don't enhance gameplay at all. DRM... We all despise DRM especially of late with the Simcity fiasco. When this game came out if you bought it on Steam you were dealing with three! layers of DRM. First Steam, then Uplay, then the hidden solidshield Ubi built in. Also there is apparently a three activation limit. If you are avoiding this game due to these things let me explain what I found in researching this before I bought it, because I don't like DRM either and wouldn't buy it if it were an issue to me. Steam is DRM but it is useful and doesn't get in my way. If I can still play it offline then I am ok with it. Uplay... I don't like it much but It hasn't gotten in the way yet. I lost my net connection for a few hours while playing it and it didn't kick me or anything like that. Some persistent world things associated with your "Ark" aren't available and you can't vote on things, but aside from that you can keep playing and really aren't missing anything. I had a bit of an issue when first activating the game and had to log in three times before I could actually play the game. First logged into Uplay, then started the game and had to log in with my Uplay ID again. Refused my ID so closed the game and restarted and then it logged in successfully. Third time is a charm I guess? No issues since then. Solidshield has been removed from this game. So as of this review the only DRM you will have to mess with is Steam and Uplay, or just Uplay if you get it direct there. The activation limit is still there BUT there seems to be some misunderstanding with this. You get three initial activations. You get one activation returned to you every month. So as long as you aren't reinstalling this thing more than three times a month you won't have anything to worry about. Given that I like Steams convenience, Uplay hasn't gotten in the way, and Ubi listened enough to remove solidshield I personally had no problems with my purchase due to DRM concerns. Hopefully the above info is of use to someone and clears up what seems to be some confusion.

Overall I recommend this game particularly if you can get it on sale with all the DLC in one go.
  92. Apr 2, 2013
    I feel very let down by this game. I expected high-end economic simulation, with some military elements here and there. What I got was simplistic game, with economic elements dumbed down and dialogs and missions on the mental level of a 12 years old kid.
    The campaign is pain to go through, mainly because of childish plot and annoying dialogues. The free play, supposedly a most important mode of the game, is only a bit better. The most important problem is, that there is no mechanic that would make you want develop your city. Your citizens always seem to be happy with the level of goods you provide them and only by your initiative you might want to push them forward. There is no needs chain like in old Caesar games, where satisfying one requirement creates another. On top of that, your citizens serve absolutely no purpose (apart from maybe production of money that you don't seem to need that much). The factories/farms/etc don't seem to require any kind of workforce, which dumbs it down even more. On top of that, UI takes time to get used to, and tutorial doesn't seem to cover it well. There is also no way to check the rate at which your resources are used/produced so organizing of your industry takes a lot of boring observation and counting.
    It might seem that economic elements have been simplified in order to make room for more of a military game, but the amount (4?) and usability of battle units doesn't seem to support that at all.
    The MMO aspect of this game is not as fun as it might seem occasional vote over certain matters only seem to provide small bonuses in the game, or lack of them. Interesting idea, but it doesn't really have any real impact on the game.
    As a merit I should probably mention beautiful graphics and seemingly large amount of elements. The game might be entertaining for the first game, and seeing through possible buildings for construction might be fun, just for exploration of possibilities. It is not a bad game in general, it just doesn't seem to have any strategic thought in it other than "how should I put my building around in order them to fit in on my island(s). If you're a big genre fan sure, give it a try, if its on sale. If not look for other game, it's not worth your money or time.
  93. Jul 17, 2013
    One of the worst strategy games I've ever played.
    Graphics are ok. but the game play suffers tremendously, and the interface seems still in beta testing.
  94. Apr 26, 2013
    What an amazing jog from ubi soft. A system so original, with an ambient so unique.
    I love the soundtrack, the graphics is wonderful, imersive. The game holds you for a while.
  95. Oct 23, 2013
    My Opinion *

My Opinion *

Anno is definitely one of the best RTS genre games I have ever set my hands on. The graphics are absolutely stunning, the game size itself is fantastic and the way the game works such as the politics and the ecology is smart as hell. People who think they can pick up this game and instantly build a city of huge size will however be in for a rather large disappointment, this is NOT like other RTS games and you really need to put time, mind and effort into this to actually get somewhere. However, when you get there it definitely pays off.

The only downside to this game is that I would like to have seen more in the game for what it is. Sure there is a DLC but I'd probably like even larger maps, larger islands, bigger building selections etc. Other than this, absolutely fantastic.
  96. Feb 20, 2014
    The DRM makes the game unplayable. It's been days since purchase and I still can't run it because of it. Support has been terribly slow. If only I had known before I purchased...
  97. Nov 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am new to the Anno series and this is an awesome game. I have played another city building game simcity and this is much better than that. These games are in essence simulations of reality and a game derives its richness of content by incorporating its complexity and that is one of the foremost reason this game is better than simcity. Simcity is far lacking in detail and has been essentially dumbed down. Anno offers a richer and detailed city building game. Another factor is Anno has advanced strategy element which goes beyond the limited city planning and logistics. One has to at the same time handle economic and military affairs arising due to interaction with cities belonging to other factions. Another factor is the game is graphically mesmerizing, they are truly a treat for the eyes. To conclude I would say this; I have played a lot of city building games and this is quite easily the best one. Expand
  98. Jan 7, 2014
    Very awesome and complex economy-strategy game that will keep you busy for hours. Excellent graphics. You can build on isles or under the sea to gather resources or build your cities. There is always stuff to do. Even Quests. Multiplayer is great and you can save your multiplayer game and continue whenever you want.or play it in solo mode. you can also open up your offline games toVery awesome and complex economy-strategy game that will keep you busy for hours. Excellent graphics. You can build on isles or under the sea to gather resources or build your cities. There is always stuff to do. Even Quests. Multiplayer is great and you can save your multiplayer game and continue whenever you want.or play it in solo mode. you can also open up your offline games to multiplayer if you want at any point of the game.

this is a heavy economy based game. there is military in it, even nuklear bombs, but the focus is on building a strong economy and cities. of course you can make war.
    if you get the 'deep sea' addon you can even trade shares/stocks to take over enemy isles without hurting anybody. you can build under the ocean nevertheless, even without addon. but it adds very, very nice features.

Also nice feature of the game is the 'Arc', lets name it your home base, where you can store items or goods. you get items through research if you build laboratories later in the game.
    as you progress in the game, it is getting harder to fullfill everyones needs but if you manage your economy properly, you should have no problems.

To be honest, I got into the game after some 50hours of playtime. I took that long until I got the hang of it but it is super fun to play!! It definitely takes time.
  99. Feb 20, 2014
    I recently purchased Anno 2070 during a steam sale in Feb 2014. I wish I would have heeded the warnings of the other reviewers. Beware, you're entering a **** of DRM the likes of which you've never seen. We're talking a level of paranoia and control of Orwellian proportions. Hopefully I can get the game to launch once Ubisoft is satisfied with my ©ompliance.
  100. Aug 1, 2014
    "Anno 2070" has some enhanced features that did not exist in its predecessors. Overall, it is a great experience. Of course, war in "Anno" games is not interesting, but after all it is a tycoon game and as that it masters its genre easily. Pretty graphics and an intriguing background in post-apocalyptic earth. If you like the rest of the series, you 'll like this one, too. Do not expect"Anno 2070" has some enhanced features that did not exist in its predecessors. Overall, it is a great experience. Of course, war in "Anno" games is not interesting, but after all it is a tycoon game and as that it masters its genre easily. Pretty graphics and an intriguing background in post-apocalyptic earth. If you like the rest of the series, you 'll like this one, too. Do not expect fancy wars or complicated diplomacy, though; in "Anno" it's all about building a city as well as controlling and exploiting resources in general. Expand
  101. Jul 10, 2012

Putting aside minor hindrances, the game is a pleasant revival of the legendary franchise, displaying high replayability, relative to recent games. [February 2012]
  2. Feb 29, 2012
    A significantly more accessible setting makes this latest Anno a must play for all city management fans. [March 2012, p.52]
    The leap into the future was a good move by Ubisoft, enabling the combination of the formula already established with elements of science fiction.