6.5

1. Apr 6, 2013
    I bought this game because people called it "atmospheric". However, I was not captured by it at all-- and I'm the type of person that enjoys these types of games. People need to learn that if you're going to make a game with RPG Maker, you need a good story and music to make it worthwhile. Unfortunately, Anodyne is lacking in both of these areas, at least in my opinion.

It's not
    terrible, but it just wasn't good enough to make me play more than an hour. Expand
  2. Jul 26, 2013
    Just because you can... doesn't mean you should. I really appreciate all the throwbacks to retro gaming that have been coming out lately, but this just didn't do it for me. Maybe it was the awful way I had to use my joysticks as opposed to a d-pad, maybe it was the horrible music, maybe it was the lame story, or the lame combat... or the fact that the game really isn't that puzzling...

It just didn't take me in. Big let down.
  3. Jun 2, 2013
    Anodyne is a Zelda-style action game where you explore surreal areas and crawl through dungeons. I really couldn't bring myself to finish this game. While the environments are neat and a bit unsettling, the game's puzzles are really poorly designed and the controls are sub-par, which made this a really frustrating experience. In addition, the map is completely labyrinthine. I had no idea where I should be going, the map was useless, and I pretty much immediately got lost.

The star of this game is the aesthetic. It mostly sticks to the 16-bit style, and it does it well most of the time. The music is mostly ambient and a little creepy, which really hammers in the unease.

Ultimately, though, I found I couldn't forgive the game's serious gameplay flaws. If you think the aesthetic alone will be worth the price of entry, then you might really enjoy this game, but otherwise, there are many better ways to spend your money.
  4. Feb 4, 2014
    I'm generally a fan of old-school RPGs, I'm all in for supporting indie game developers, but c'mon! This entire trend of crappy games sold as "Indie", "Retro" or "Old-School" is really starting to get on my nerves! I don't mind the lack of voice acting, I don't need long and gorgeous cut-scenes, I can live with the shallow storylines, I can also deal with the ugly graphics in general. But what really drive me nuts are the small things, such as, for example, me being able to hit an enemy from 100 miles away.... with a melee weapon! Nevermind the fact that all I really hit was air, the monster on the other corner of the screen just dies and disappears.

For me, this is a game breaker. It's like the game devs are telling me, "Hey, it's a fantasy game, right? You only imagine you're an adventurer, you only imagine you're fighting monsters, so what's wrong with imagining you really hit the bat right before it died?" Well, at this point I put on my Grumpy Cat mask and shout, "No! I won't friggin' imagine that! It's your job as game devs to illustrate at least the most basic stuff!".

Needless to say, that if in the past I generously shelled out money for indie games without digging too deep, thinking to myself that even if I won't be enjoying the game, at least I'd be supporting the games industry, that is not the case anymore. I'm tired of lazy game devs selling me crap as "Indie". I'm willing to pay for good games, but I work hard to earn that money, and so should everyone else, including game developers.

As far as I'm concerned, Anodyne is a bad game. I can't remember how much I paid for it, I just hope it wasn't much. Oh well, at least I'm wiser and more careful now, when it comes to choosing what games to buy, regardless of how cheap or expensive they are.
  5. Nov 5, 2013
    The main storyline of the game was decent, if nothing special (and to actually get to the ending you had to collect every last hidden collectible in the entire game). What I'm here to talk about is the 'post-game' half of the game.

When Anodyne ends, it gives you an item to switch floor tiles, making you able to work places you couldn't before. This is done with the promise of further
    exploration and an entire (hidden) second half of the game. The thing is; you're meant to use this tool to exploit glitches that occur when moving outside of the maps, to get you to secret glitchy areas. This requires abusing your controls, and works about 1% of the time, essentially making the whole experience extremely frustrating.

What is equally as frustrating is the fact that so much work seemingly has gone to making these glitchy areas, with 99 doors you have to try and pass by jumping into holes that kill you at different spots of different levels, but bringing up the menu, teleport to the waypoint area, and hope you hit one of the spots that has floor tiles to land on, and is on the right side of the doors.

If this was truly meant to be optional, it would have been hidden away as secrets, not be your reward for completing the game, and it would definitely not have about as much content as the main game.
  6. Nov 19, 2013
    El juego en si es muy limitado, aburrido a mas no poder y parece sacado del siglo XX.
    Jugabilidad: Nula, simplemente.
    Gráficos: Parecidos al minecfraft, pero muchísimos peores...
    Sonido: Limidado, apenas.
    Innovación: Ninguna!!
  7. Mar 25, 2014
    Anodyne is a top-down adventure game inspired by Zelda, but it falls gravely short in every aspect. It's an incredibly basic game. There is no creativity in dungeon designs. The artwork is nauseatingly plain. It lacks a memorable story. The controls are horribly-clunky.

Five minutes into the game, I was wondering why it was worth $10. 30 minutes into the game, I wanted my time back. I
    continued for 2 hours hoping that it would get better, but I only ended up with a miserable experience.

I wouldn't play this game again even if I were paid $10/hour.

1. Jun 4, 2013
    Anodyne falls between average and perfection, offering a strange, funny, horrifying few hours of old-school action-adventure. [June 2013, p.91]
  2. May 3, 2013
    Anodyne’s weaknesses would’ve been greatly justified by a solid narrative. Instead, we’re left with a semi-decent dungeon crawler featuring some rather attractive sprite art and great soundtrack.
  3. Apr 26, 2013
    Anodyne is a well done Zelda clone with a stunning story. The vintage gaming fan will love it.