7.3

1. Dec 24, 2011
    So the basic idea here is a reverse tower-defense, which seems interesting enough. The first level is quite slow, which is understandable, you're trying to build interest. That's not the reason for my particular score. The reason there is that shortly before the end of the first level, a random meteor dropped from the sky onto my caravan and destroyed one of my vehicles, instantly failing the mission for me. Let me explain why this was a game-killer for me. It's not because I lost. It's because of the how. Punishing a player for making bad choices is fine. Giving them obstacles to overcome is fine. Several times before this, my vehicles had been hit, damaged, and I was able to repair them and move on. But this was a one-hit death, in a situation where I had no control whatsoever over what had just happened, or any way to avoid it. Just, BAM, you lose the mission. The amount of terrible game design in this is just staggering, and is enough to make me regret spending any money on this game.

I realize that this sounds harsh, but I don't want to waste my time playing a game where a player's understanding of the game is completely removed from the equation, unless I've come in knowing that's a possibility. This game presents itself as a strategy game, dumb luck shouldn't be required for success.
  2. Apr 26, 2011
    Disappointing. I could not play this game on my computer because of display errors. If you have a Steam account, you can get the free demo. Highly recommend that you try the demo before purchasing this game. My impression from the first mission is that this is very boring indeed. Really don't know what all of the hoopla is about.
  3. Feb 10, 2012
    I did not enjoy this game. I love tower defenses, and this is essentially the reversal of that (IE you play as the people trying to get past the towers). The game starts out very slow, and the tutorial is very tiresome. After the first half of the levels, the game is at a nearly unbeatable level. After a while it gets dull, and it's a relatively short game. The graphics are okay.
  4. Feb 6, 2012
    I could not play through the second level. The reason? The idiots who wrote this game named their game after the English word "anomaly", and use it throughout the game. It is quite clear that they have no bloody clue what it means whatsoever, and it's really frustrating to hear it used so hand-wavily. It's become an umbrella term for anything alien and spacey and physicsy or whatever, and that is an embarrassment. Expand

1. Oct 19, 2011
    Proves that tower defence is as much fun in reverse. There's slick gameplay, nice visuals and a nice balance of action and strategy on offer here. Silly dialogues and story aside, the only real fault of the game is that it doesn't have that many missions or units. [June 2011]
  2. Sep 8, 2011
    The simplicity of the design is where the game really shines. [Oct 2011, p.105]
  3. Aug 11, 2011
    Unless you hate strategy games or don't have a rig powerful enough to run this, you should not pass up Anomaly.