Anomaly: Warzone Earth PC

7.3

1. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is sold as "inverse tower defense" or "tower offense" and it's exactly what it is. It is like being on the other end of Defense Grid, but you don't get a swarm at your command, just a few units. You plan a course from your starting point to the target and the units follow this predetermined path to the letter and attack any enemy in range. If conditions change or you find thatThis game is sold as "inverse tower defense" or "tower offense" and it's exactly what it is. It is like being on the other end of Defense Grid, but you don't get a swarm at your command, just a few units. You plan a course from your starting point to the target and the units follow this predetermined path to the letter and attack any enemy in range. If conditions change or you find that your plan leads to ruin, you can alter the plan. However your units are always heading forward at a fixed pace. You can't slow them down, stop them, or reverse their course. You can only make them turn at an intersection. If this were all there was to the game, it would feel constraining and limited, but you also get a special "commander" unit who can roam the map freely, if not safely. You use him to collect various power-ups, deploy decoys and other countermeasures, and repair your other units. He'll keep you busy enough that you won't miss micromanaging the other units. It's easy to imagine dozens of ways that this game could be expanded and made richer, but it really works just as it is. It delivers what it promises and it's a very nice twist on the genre. Expand
  2. mpr
    Jun 21, 2011
    Decent game. Good graphics, original gameplay: but I got bored with it after a couple hours of play. When I purchased it, I was hoping for a game as good as Defense Grid, so I was slightly disappointed.
  3. May 1, 2011
    Absolutely gorgeous intro movie, and as others have said, an innovative twist on a tired genre. However, this game has a hypothesis, which is "is it as interesting to be the attacker in a tower defense game?" After playing this game for two hours, I have to say the answer for me is "no." Further, the awkward mouse-based interface got frustrating quickly. I hope 11bit take theirAbsolutely gorgeous intro movie, and as others have said, an innovative twist on a tired genre. However, this game has a hypothesis, which is "is it as interesting to be the attacker in a tower defense game?" After playing this game for two hours, I have to say the answer for me is "no." Further, the awkward mouse-based interface got frustrating quickly. I hope 11bit take their considerable talents into more new territory. They're sure to find positive results if they keep at it. Expand
  4. Jun 9, 2011
    This game is boring, although the graphic is good. I tried to play it, but all of those errors ruined my opinion about this game. To sum up, not worth buying.
  5. Aug 26, 2012
    Conceptually different than your normal tower defense; this tower offense title is fun and challenging. AWE packs a punch with the perspective being that of the incoming forces against an alien invasion. Pros: Visually, it's clean, well designed and brilliant. The colors are clean and vibrant and the shading looks great. The paths are true to the urban and suburban landscapes theyConceptually different than your normal tower defense; this tower offense title is fun and challenging. AWE packs a punch with the perspective being that of the incoming forces against an alien invasion. Pros: Visually, it's clean, well designed and brilliant. The colors are clean and vibrant and the shading looks great. The paths are true to the urban and suburban landscapes they represent and the details of the areas are crisp and realistic. The weaponry of both the earth and the alien forces look sweet and vicious giving it a visceral realism. The map directing is great for moving your squad through the streets. All the controls are easy to use and setup and the mechanics are simple and swift most of the time. Cons: Glitches in the control system: A big and annoying one at that. For whatever reason, the mouse controls revert back to the default keyboard control after every mission. It's extremely frustration but changeable. The mouse control over the map whips across too fast and it is sometimes hard to move from spot to spot with the commander. Upgrades. Too few. Way too few. All units (and there are only five total) can only be upgraded two levels with a total of three. The upgrades only increase the armor and power of each unit but not the range or rate of fire so the changes are subtle at best. Voice-overs: Poorly preformed. Bad accents and horrible delivery. Dialogue: Dull and riddled with corny lines and cliches with a predictable storyline. Game length: Way too short. It could've easily gone on for twice the length that the game goes on for. Very disappointing. Overall: It's a great little game that looks and plays great but is very limited in terms of originality as execution. Expand
  6. Jun 9, 2012
    Pretty descent game. It's basically a reverse-tower defence game. The story is... mediocre, and the game-play is alright too. Again, for $10 bucks, I expected much worse. On a side note, this game had a very indie feel to it, and probably because it was.
  7. Dec 11, 2012
    A "Tower Offense" game where you navigate a column of vehicles of your choosing through a city infested by alien turrets. You control a commander who can deploy 4 types of powerups, upgrade & deploy new vehicles, and scout the environment. You control the vehicles by plotting their path on an overhead 2D map. The whole game can be played with just the mouse so perhaps this is my newA "Tower Offense" game where you navigate a column of vehicles of your choosing through a city infested by alien turrets. You control a commander who can deploy 4 types of powerups, upgrade & deploy new vehicles, and scout the environment. You control the vehicles by plotting their path on an overhead 2D map. The whole game can be played with just the mouse so perhaps this is my new favorite one-handed game. Worth picking up if you enjoy tower defense games, but shorter on content than a traditional tower defense such as Defense Grid. Expand
  8. Jun 24, 2015
    Anomaly Warzone Earth is the first in a line up of great Sci-Fi/Action/Strategy games. You plan your route carefully with planning and thought, after you get to choose the loadout of vehicles you wish, after you try and survive the terrors of the Alien lifeforms which has taken over Baghdad and other ares round that part. Overall it makes me feel like I am playing a tower defense game, butAnomaly Warzone Earth is the first in a line up of great Sci-Fi/Action/Strategy games. You plan your route carefully with planning and thought, after you get to choose the loadout of vehicles you wish, after you try and survive the terrors of the Alien lifeforms which has taken over Baghdad and other ares round that part. Overall it makes me feel like I am playing a tower defense game, but instead of planning to defend whatever I need, I am actually moving through, while the Alien lifeforms is planning its way on defending either its power cores or just trying to ruin your day by just shooting you non-stop. Overall the graphics and music are great, the voice acting is good and the story is actually quite a good story, kinda weird as I was just expecting soldiers trying to move their way through either a group of terrorists or shooting their way through to get out of Baghdad, like Jagged Alliance or Doorkickers.

The game is great, short, but challenging as you may die a lot for poor planning, but thankfully their is a good checkpoint system where if you die or want to start over again, you can just start from the checkpoint. A great first game from 11 Bit Studios!

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 19, 2011
    Proves that tower defence is as much fun in reverse. There's slick gameplay, nice visuals and a nice balance of action and strategy on offer here. Silly dialogues and story aside, the only real fault of the game is that it doesn't have that many missions or units. [June 2011]
  2. PC Format
    Sep 8, 2011
    The simplicity of the design is where the game really shines. [Oct 2011, p.105]
  3. Aug 11, 2011
    Unless you hate strategy games or don't have a rig powerful enough to run this, you should not pass up Anomaly.