• Publisher: Demruth
  • Release Date: Jan 31, 2013
8.2

1. Feb 1, 2013
    One of the best puzzle games ever made. In most video games they give you a few options but most of them don't lead anywhere. When the hero is asked "Do you want to save the princess?" It might give you a Yes or No choice but really no matter what you pick, you have to go save the princess. Not in Antichamber. Every decision you make leads somewhere. Turned left instead of right at an intersection? The game will happily let you continue down this path for 20 minutes throwing puzzles at you as you go just to find yourself trapped in a room with no way out. Probably because you missed some really important clue or ignored all the really subtle warnings that you were going the wrong way. This game might just be the most scary games ever made. Its not a fear of something popping out at you and eating your face like most horror games, its a fear of the unknown. Its the same fear you might get before giving a big speech in front of a large audience. What if I make a mistake? What if I forget what I was going to say? What if the audience does not like what I'm about to say? Only now its what if I go down this hallway instead of the other one? What if I close this door behind me and I get trapped? What if this next room has a hidden trap door and I fall into a completely new level? What if I did not find all the items I needed to from the area I can no longer access?
    You can always teleport out by pressing the escape key and start again, but you don't want to. You never want to admit the game beat you or that you fell for such an obvious trap. The game does such an amazing job setting the mood and pulling you in that it almost feels like your trapped for real.
    Overall its one of the best games I have ever played.
  2. Jan 31, 2013
    I thought after the Portal era, that the first person puzzle genre would be left unexplored for many years to come. I thought I was smart. I thought that they didn't make games hard anymore. Antichamber has gently relieved me of these delusions. I've been playing for hours and I don't even think I'm past the first level yet. It seems so abstract, but after grinding away you eventually find the clues cleverly woven into walls, or skillfully hidden in the cryptic language of the signs located throughout. There is no one solution, no single correct way to proceed. You must try and remember everything, and once you devise a possible solution it will no doubt take technical execution.

I highly recommend this game, but come prepared. I didn't think a game could mentally toy with me like this one has, or be capable of downright stumping me in a manner that ridicules my intelligence. It's challenging and frustrating, but at the same time lots of fun. Games have veered away from the model presented in Antichamber, which is why I believe I like it so much.
  3. Feb 1, 2013
    After playing Antichamber for:- 1 minute."what the frick is this crock of twaddle!" 2 minutes."I'm feeling disorientated and dizzy. groan." 3 minutes. "Goddam it I'm stuck. How the hell....." 4 minutes "Ahh! thats it I got it, but wait..what the hell is this... 1 hour. "HEY WORLD I've just been playing this most awesome puzzle game, its like this um..er ok you are in this room right and um its all freaky like you are in some wierd Escher drawing on acid and you gotta sorta navigate through um these corridor kinda things and and..OH MY GOOD LORD YOU GOTTA EXPERIENCE THIS Expand
  4. Feb 5, 2013
    FINALLY an interesting indie game that ISN'T A *#&&%#ing PLATFORMER! Never thought I'd see the day. Oh and look at that it's priced correctly as well.
  5. Feb 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game had me hooked from start to end. Amazing puzzles (that's challenging, but not impossible) set against some amazing visuals at time... all that while playing the most calming background music. At one point you can solve a particular puzzle and end up in a room where the developers set up a picturesc roadmap of the product development throughout the years. You can see how the product changed throughout. I would recommend this game to any portal fan, and anyone who loves a good mindbender with satisfactory outcomes. Expand
  6. Feb 3, 2013
    I don't give out many 10's, but this game earned it. It doesn't look like much from the pictures, but in my book this is the first first-person-puzzler game to even come close, and possibly match, the brilliance and uniqueness of Portal, besting even Quantum Conundrum and Qube. There's no witty narrator, or even a storyline; you simply start in a black room, then walk around a mansion(?) where the laws of physics, logic, and sanity don't apply. The puzzles are rather open: unlike Qube, you do not simply linearly progress from one puzzle to the next. Rather, it's more like you can do the puzzles in almost any order you want, and you often don't even know if you're solving a puzzle or simply exploring. The game does many things to disorient you and punish you for conventional ways of thinking, but it's never done over-the-top or in a way that will simply frustrate you; an incredible amount of thought must have been put into this game. It's hard to explain how it does that without giving away any spoilers --in fact, it's hard to explain anything that happens in this game at all-- but it should suffice to say, if you enjoyed Portal, you will enjoy this. And of course you enjoyed Portal, so go out and buy this. PS. Valve needs to hire this guy to spearhead Portal 3. Expand
  7. Feb 3, 2013
    I have never played anything quite like this game. Antichamber is a game that wants to be a game and nothing else. Every moment throughout I felt immersed and involved. Absolutely fantastic!
  8. Feb 5, 2013
    New. Creative. Fresh. These are one of the few words i can amass to encapsulate this game. If you're interested in puzzle games this game is a definite buy. There is no "story" but you won't feel the need for one. Controls are smooth and minimalistic. There is no clogging, no needless keys. Antichamber is also very challenging, you have to think outside the box if you want to move forward in this game. Only reason i'm giving it a 9/10 is because of color palette. For some reason color contrasts in this game is eye-straining. Still, overall a very good game. Expand
  9. Feb 2, 2013
    Stark and simple, but immeasurably exciting. Each step forward is an adventure as reality seems to bend and fold around you, and you're left wondering, moment to moment, what the game is going to pull out of its hat next. But unlike many games that might give you a few 'oohs' and 'ahhs' before wearing thin, Antichamber forces you to examine your surroundings and use what it gives you to solve expertly crafted puzzles. There is no real reward except a new way forward and the distant promise of an ending, but that was plenty for me. A shockingly unique game in today's colour by the numbers market, Antichamber is everything that makes art games good. Expand
  10. Feb 5, 2013
    Fun fun fun. What else could you want? Some people are complaining about it being too difficult, too nerdy, boring, whatever they are saying, but don't pay any attention to them. The puzzles are interesting, they feel good to solve, and if I didn't know any better I would say that this game is making me smarter. The music facilitates a kind of creepiness that I really enjoyed, plus you never shake that feeling that you never know what might pop up next at any moment around any corner, or just right behind you. I really enjoyed every second of it and hope that like Portal it gets expanded into a full fledged big budget game, because the creative minds behind this game really deserve a bigger audience. Expand
  11. Mar 10, 2013
    Great game, you may compare it to Portal, but it is a completely different experience. You never now where you are heading and where the current puzzle takes you. Great!
  12. Mar 25, 2013
    I haven't had such an experience for a loooong, long time if ever. Antichamber bears some resemblance to Portal, but at the same time is different enough and in many aspects unique. Interestingly, the non-Euclidean geometry, which might come off as its central idea, before you play it, is in fact secondary to its main puzzle mechanic, which involves the manipulation of small cubes, and at first looks quite mundane, but soon reaches incredible depth.
    The sense of disorientation, caused by the spatial anomalies, the striking visuals and the ambient soundscape put you in extraordinary mood of mystery and curiosity I always wanted to progress a bit further and see what’s next. In short if you like puzzle games you owe it to yourself to try this out.
  13. May 8, 2013
    I've now played through the entire game 4 times, and there's more to learn and enjoy each time! Antichamber is, by far, the best puzzler I've ever played, and its primitive block-graphics add to, not subtract from, the experience! The first time you learn that the game isn't going to play fair, your entire world shifts under you, and all of your pre-conceptions melt. it's an amazing feeling that I miss in modern, flashy games (which I also love!)

If you enjoy a game that takes risks and throws you into uncertainty, this is definitely the one for you!
  14. Jan 31, 2013
    This game is about walking in corridors and finding rooms and entering said rooms only to find out that there is no corridor anymore to then turn around and be in a different room.

Tenouttaten.
  15. Jul 10, 2013
    [AntiChamber Steam PC Score 10] Superb a 3D first person puzzler. For the gamer great fun and addictive. For the programmer an inspiration in the creation of different. Computer gaming is again coming to life with refreshing ideas, so simple and straightforward, a force generating euthymia in its player, the development of patience and pride in solving each challenge. Go get it now and be prepared to be wowed.

Released on Jan 1st, 2013 and played about 5 months later by me [DRM] Steam only and thank goodness there is no GamesForWindowsLive on this title.

[Story]
    You discover solutions to puzzles. There is no cute girl with a nice chest with the protagonist in voice over saying “She has such pretty eyes” while everybody stares at her nipples. There are no battles in the Breastriary in Nippopolis. There is no Cheesing. Just puzzles. However the next version of this game could easily involve scantily clad aliens and power ups.

[Challenges and Mechanics]
    Learn each new skill. Don’t look with your eyes because they lie. Feel the force Luke. Trial and error is likely to make up for brief intense stupidity, and thank dog !
    [Save] The game saves itself like every game should.
    [Keys] cannot be remapped because the game takes place in 24000 BC when dinosaurs ruled the earth. You can stick it up your WSAD !

[Game time] 30 hrs and counting. Go back and finish the stuff you did not get even though you beat the game !

[Audio] I always play with headphones. I thought the audio was great. They could make it even more important in the game play next time. Thank you!

[ToYou]
    My compliments to all of you who pursue and share this obsession to experience this modern digital art. There are many games that will not be playable in 15-20 years because of OS and hardware changes. The time is now to experience these achievements. Think about going to museums and looking at those Van gogh paintings already 150 years old today. Think about watching reruns of old TV programs anytime you want. This will not be possible for most games and digital art dependent on game engines so consume and enjoy now and appreciate the moment.

[Children] Good for 12 years old and up.... be warned that the puzzles can be challenging.

[MyPC 2011] i7-2600K 3.4GHz ASUS Z68 ProGen3 8G RAM Radeon 6870 W7 PRO SP1 Samsung 275T @1920x1200 Logitech G15 Kensington ExpertMouse

[MyFavorites] [Win7] AntiChamber Stacking Metro2033 Rochard TheDreamMachine Crysis&Warhead&2 JustCause2 Rage [XP] DeuxExHR&TheMissingLink DeadSpace1&2 Fallout3&NewVegas HalfLife1&2 Bordelands1&2 BatmanArkumAsylum AssassinsCreed Magicka RedFaction Portal1&2 FromDust MrRobot Sam&MaxSeasons1&2 CulpaInnata TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland DreamfallTheLongestJourney Syberia1&2 CrayonPhysicsDeluxe DefenseGridTheAwakening PlantsVsZombies Prototype Bioshock1&2 UnrealTournament3 Quake4 [360] AfroSamurai BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO KOTOR1&2 Crackdown ArmedAndDangerous AggressiveInline BeyondGoodAndEvil DeadOrAlive1&2&3&ExtremeBeachVolleyball Psychonauts [AppleG4] FullThrottle DeusExMachina ONI ReturnToZork Suspended UnrealTournament TombRaiderSeries [Born] 1964

[PS: I do not know anybody who works in the game industry I just enjoy games
  16. Feb 2, 2013
    I had no idea what to expect from this game. Bought it just out of boredom. But then I finished in one go. It is very original and fun puzzle game.
    I loved how the difficulty was balanced. Many puzzles just did not have any specific rules. You just have to stumble upon the solution. But... the game slowly taught you all the needed skill. And I did find myself stuck only a few times and
    only for a short time. The game does not lead you by your hand. But still gives you enough hints (usually in a form of a easier version of a puzzle) so you know what to do or at least try. Expand
  17. Feb 4, 2013
    I was blown away. This is the first time since Portal I've been so engrossed in a puzzle game. If it were by a big-name publisher, it'd be the game of the year.
  18. Feb 2, 2013
    The developer sure knows how to break any gamer out of their molding to learn a few things about themselves. This fantastic puzzle game is easily a 10/10 in my book, despite its many graphical glitches here and there. A game should be rated on its mechanics, aesthetics, and game play, all of which compliment each other perfectly. Well done!
  19. Feb 6, 2013
    Absolutely awesome. Blew my mind all over the place and made my brain hurt more than a game like Portal ever could. Have not beat it yet due to pure frustration, but a good kind of awe-inspiring frustration.
  20. Feb 3, 2013
    This is by far one of the most um diverse puzzle games I've experienced, it is clearly among my favorites of portal and world of goo. This game displays such diverse conditions its never possible to predict what your in for next, half way through a puzzle you might think you have the hang of it only for the game to introduce an entirely different way of manipulating and navigating your environment. And with each new possibility comes more possible outcomes or are they? In a preview totalbiscut talked to the developer of this game, it was kinda funny how he viewed the players, the first part is to break every conceived notion of FPS games and then teach you a concept that would be easy to understand had you not previously broken and reformed your brain. Um so yea its tricky Expand
  21. Feb 2, 2013
    This game is just a revolutionary and unique as Portal was upon its release, and maybe even a little more so. I finished this game in jiffy because I just couldn't put it down. The environments are astounding, the music is mesmerizing, and the puzzles are just the right amount of difficulty to challenge you, but not leave you in the dark. One of my favorite games ever, and that's hard to accomplish. Expand
  22. Mar 4, 2013
    When you have 1000 ideas while making a puzzle game and you just pick the best one's this game is the result. It's not that linear game-play like in portal so if you stuck at some point you can try other puzzles.
    But not only the challenging puzzles are awesome. There are "signs [which] might be more helpful then you think" but mainly after you solved the challenge which often left a
    smile on my face.
    The "gun" if you can say this to this tool which you get can be used in many ways so there are often similar tasks to do which you must solve in a different way. (Don't want to spoiler them)

All in all I can say everyone who likes to play with his brain turned on (not those fps cod players) and likes to solve little problems will have fun playing this game!
  23. Feb 9, 2013
    this game mind bends while contains little hints one second i'm here another i'm not! its not ordinary its extraordinary! also looking at stuff has never been so important (hint not spoiler)
  24. Feb 27, 2013
    One of the most innovative and best games I have ever played. Seeing the trailer before starting the game was probably the biggest disappointment as it have ruined first 3 min of the brilliant game play. It sucks you in after a first few puzzles and spits out once finished with a clear and shifted mind. It is like after you saw Matrix for the first time. Like flew in sleep for the first time. Innovative as Braid or Portal and very unique. Minimalist, but overwhelming. Simple, but complex. Calming, but scary. Relaxing, but very frustrating. Once you start the game (born) you go through your lifetime solving puzzles (school, marriage, work) and once you are finish ("die" in a way) you gain so many new experiences and rewords which are hard to be explained. Go play this thing. Expand
  25. Mar 27, 2013
    Its nearly 3am, I’ve just completed Antichamber and my brain literally aches.

If Alan Fletcher, Bridget Riley and Spike Milligan had got together to a made a game I think Antichamber would be close.

It’s brilliant, the difficulty level is just right to let you find your feet before stonewalling you with another puzzle. I found it to be have less ‘eureka’ moments than expected,
    instead the game slowly expanded your toolset so that you always had something new to try, whether a new gun (of which there are 5) or piece of information on how the weird and wonderful world worked.

In all the hype up to its release, I was expecting more illogical puzzles and weird happenstances. This is not the case, the world definitely has a set of well defined rules, they’re just generally used in a more ‘left field’ and ‘outside of the box’ context.

Apart from the gorgeous art, loveable life assuring messages and abstract Eno-esq soundtrack, my favorite parts of the game were the Easter egg rooms the developer must have left dotted and hidden about. They act like DVD extras giving a player who is willing to look a greater insight into the game, these included screenshots from old versions, a gallery of assets, wire frame models, a weird flowchart, and other more abstract areas… I’m especially curious about those little purple cubes that were placed in hard to reach areas.
  26. Apr 4, 2013
    My brain still hurts after playing this. And I'm not even sure if I did as I was expected to do. This game is designed to blow your mind without you even knowing what's going on in there. And yet, when passing each chamber, you have this rewarding feeling, like you accomplished something, only to find yourself in the next chamber, or in the previous chamber, or in no chamber at all. Going downstairs to go up, not crossing a door to get inside the room, actually going downstairs to go down... this game is so random and yet so enjoyable. A must play for everyone who wants a challenging experience outside the world of logic. Expand
  27. Feb 2, 2013
    Very clever and absolute mindf**k of a game. Your head will be spinning as the laws of reality are broken time and time again as the world around you deceptively shifts and warps in the blink of an eye. This is one of the best puzzle titles you will ever play. Took me around 6 hours to complete (with 95% of all rooms solved pictures found) without a guide and I'm fairly adept at logic puzzles. If you enjoyed games like Portal, this game is your next stop. Expand
  28. Feb 10, 2013
    Antichamber is easily the best and most memorable 8-10 hours of gaming I've had in a very, very long time. Incredibly satisfying puzzles, crisp and stark visuals, and some truly innovative game mechanics. It's an abstract and challenging title that demands a bit of lateral thinking and patience, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to everyone. However, if you're after a refreshing challenge, and you enjoyed the likes of Portal and Braid, then Antichamber is an absolute must buy. Fantastic to play a game that feels genuinely new! Expand
  29. Feb 10, 2013
  30. Apr 20, 2013
    A good example of how graphics do not make a game fun. Even without a story, this game challenged me in ways I hadn't imagined. Even Quantum Conundrum didn't drive me to finish like this game did. Fantastic level design, thoughtful sound effects and soundtrack, and clever dynamics that change and yet remain the same throughout the entire game. The only thing I didn't like about this game was trying to find what puzzle to do next. I can't wait to see what they do next! Expand
  31. Feb 17, 2013
    This is a great game if you are interested in puzzle games. Alexander worked many years and this game and did not disappoint with his finished product. There are many different demo revisions available if one would enjoy seeing the game before buying it, mind you they are not the finished product and may contain bugs or slight differences in visuals and progression. I've been following the game for quite a while, and knew a bit of what to expect, but it still blew my mind with some of the areas. If you enjoy puzzles and critical thinking, then you should definitely check this game out. Expand
  32. May 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is really rare that I can say I loved a game this much. A ten of ten? Yes, in fact Antichamber is perhaps now one of my favorite games of all time.

The game's premise is to put you into a world that follows rules that are nothing like the real universe: simply turning around can show you a new hallway that you didn't come through before. The puzzles slowly grow in complexity, but the gameplay is nevertheless very, very fun.

As you play, you also find black squares with simple life lessons on them. There a total of 120 to "learn" and they contribute to the game's greatest strength, which I will explain in a second. The graphics are... interesting. The walls and floors are painted with bright, vibrant, and yet simple, elegant colors. The interface in the map room is nice as well, it lets you jump everywhere through the game with the touch of the button.

Now, as you progress through the game, the morals you've learned start to slowly add up and create a unique picture. But, as you near the end, you finally realize the game's incredibly deep meaning. the simple (spoilers here) version is that you have been placed into a world as if you were a newborn baby, and once you win, you realize that the game is a huge metaphor for life itself.

Overall, the game is incredibly great. The puzzles may prove challenging, but they are lots of fun to play. I would recommend this game to almost anyone who enjoys video games. The bottom line is: go out and get this game. You won't regret it.
  33. Sep 13, 2013
    As the game's name very well suggests, Antichamber is a game that sets out to do the unorthodox. The entire premise of the game focuses on two aspects: exploring a series of rooms and halls featuring impossible geometry, such as a box that's longer on the inside than on the inside, along with a 'gun' that manipulates small cubes in order to solve puzzles. Antichamber makes a point to have players think outside the box with both how one travels from point A to point B, as well as how one approaches a puzzle logically. This is accompanied by a slew of fun little philosophical tidbits that also connect, to some extent, to real life.

There are many reasons to love Antichamber. Perhaps most blissful is the unusual aspect of enjoying getting lost in the game's strange layout (and lost you will get), supported by the game's also unusual graphics consisting of thickly outlined simple mesh polygons that are mostly white with splashes of highly saturated colors. Gone are textures, and shadows are lighting are very minimal. Even stranger is the fact that all of this is set to a variety of nature based ambiance rather than any sort of musical score, making the experience all that much more relaxing even in the face of a dead end, a perplexing puzzle, or realizing that you are going in circles.

The puzzles put forth in Antichamber are also a delight, teasing those with preemptive puzzle game solving knowledge and providing a new outlook on the genre for the new and veteran alike. Puzzles are mostly in the form of performing various actions involving small colored cubes, the cube colors correlating to what gun power is required to solve the puzzle. Actions boil down to essentially just moving the cubes, but this can range from sucking up cubes and then placing them to block motion sensing laser paths, to moving a trail of cubes that pull along any trail of cubes adjacent, and more.

Many people might compare Antichamber to Portal, and there are certainly some similarities. However, where Portal is a linear puzzle solver accompanied by dark humorous banter by the antagonist, Antichamber is more of an open ended journey into expanding one's perspective. To this end Antichamber has very little in terms of narrative (just a minute amount towards the end), but this helps free the game to its open-endedness and surrealistic experiences. Antichamber does what it sets out to do sublimely, but unfortunately it's mission is a tad niche and simply will not be for everyone. Even some avid puzzle enthusiasts might have some trouble sinking into Antichamber if they are not charmed by it's unconventional artistry, and those seeking simply to explore a virtual gallery of geometric (and philosophical) musings might find the puzzle aspects to be too frustrating.

All in all Antichamber is a crowning achievement for avant-garde game design, and a wonderful journey for those with an open curious mind. Highly recommended for those seeking something challenging and soothing with an unusual design perspective, but probably not for classic action gamers or those who want clear cut objectives in their games.

10/10 despite lacking a bit in terms of optimization and far from being universally appealing, this game's artistic achievement is one the best I've experienced.
  34. Jun 11, 2014
    This game doesn't rely on excellent graphics or innovative story, but instead brings 8 hours of pure fun. You get the best experience, when you jump into the game with no expectations on what the game has to offer. In return, you get rewarded with clever puzzles with satisfying solutions, constant mind-benders and -twisters, and generally an adventure you will never quite forget. The puzzles are one of the most satisfying in the world, and finding all the secrets can sure be a thing to brag about. I enjoyed every second of it. Expand
  35. Nov 27, 2013
    This is Portal on drugs mixed with "I'm gonna mind f*c* you". You'd be stupid not to get this. Got it on Steam on sale and oh my god what a trip! Not your average game but don't let the plain graphics fool you, it actually made the game better this way. I'll be the first in line to buy the sequel.
    The negative review guys don't appreciate a gem like this game. Go back to call of duty you
    fools. To the guys that made this game, please make more like this. I have a few hundred Steam games and let me say this is top 10. I'm drooling for more like this. PLEASE make a sequel! My wallet is crying for you. Expand
  36. Jul 13, 2013
    This is by far the most insightful experience that I have had through a video game ever. It's almost unreasonable to call Antichamber a game as it is more a thought experiment. Through constant nurturing and encouragement the game pushes the player to succeed at every turn, especially in the face of "impossible" challenges. The level design, liberal use of contrast in every respect, subtle audio cues, and minimal interface make this game one of the most unique experiences available in the history of video games.

Please do not compare this game to something like Portal which relies so heavily on the thematic or theatrical. Antichamber is in its own unique spectrum where puzzle games are concerned.
  37. Apr 7, 2013
    Antichamber constantly plays with your mind as it forces you to question what you think you know about the rules and think out of the box about the problems at hand. And as such Antichamber is another gem those who look for new interesting experiences in gaming should not miss. The solutions to the puzzles are often incredibly primitive, it really is the matter of noticing them in the first place. Only problem I had with the game is the fact that while some mechanisms are hardly/clearly shown at work before you are expected to utilise them (which can be frustrating, but is in line with the rest of the game I guess) there is one that wasn't shown at all afaik and I made my progress through it by accident. Then again, Even accidents can help you progress. Expand
  38. Jan 18, 2014
    If you like interactive puzzlers, don't miss this gem. Truly unique in all the right ways, I'd say rivals portal in overall quality of experience and gameplay.
  39. Aug 15, 2013
    It's brilliant!
    Funny and clever!!!
    I'm really enjoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But, i will give it a 9 because it doesn't have the controller support...
  40. Apr 17, 2013
    Antichamber offers an extraordinary, humbling experience that I would rank up there with Braid, Limbo, and Portal. Yes, it is sad that I feel I have to compare this game with the aforementioned titles but it seems unavoidable.
    This is not a story driven game, lets get that out of the way as soon as possible. Antichamber is for the competitive at heart; the only satisfaction one will get
    for playing this game is from being able to advance. Browsing the reviews this seems to be one of the most common negatives on the game. When I saw the trailer it was evident that this game was not going to be plot focused, so I wasn't let down in anyway because I knew what I was getting into. I found the lack of story actually quite refreshing.
    I kept expecting the puzzles to get repetitive, but I did not find this to be true. One of the more frustrating points of the game was the access to many puzzles that you did not have the tools to solve. The way I went about it, figuring out you are unable to do a puzzle is part of the puzzle itself.
    Watch some of the trailers for this game. If it looks good, buy it!
  41. Oct 22, 2013
    Antichamber was engrossing from start to finish. The pacing of the puzzles, especially, seemed really well done. The attempts at pithy advice it constantly doles out got a little old, but I learned to ignore them.
  42. Apr 26, 2013
    A very interesting game, and done with style. Great puzzles, a really fresh concept. I'm still not giving it a 10 because I somewhat got bored with the writings in the black squares. They seem witty at first, but after a while they look like they pretend to be philosophic or deep but in fact are just banalities dragged in to fit the mechanics of the solved puzzle. I hope that if the developer decides to make a sequel or an update, he/she would maybe add some kind of story to the game so that the puzzles were connected more meaningfully to each other and didn't look just like a mechanical assembly. But anyway, very talented game design. Expand
  43. Feb 20, 2013
    Ah, Antichamber. What an odd case indeed. This game is really what a pure indie First-person puzzle game SHOULD be. The game can be so mind bending at times that it is easy to get lost in this huge game. It can easily be forgiven for it's minimalistic art form with just how well this game can be. Usually these days, most puzzle games like this tend to almost automatically get compared to the amazing PC first-person puzzle game, Portal, due to it being a First-person puzzle game. Games like Q.U.B.E are also on this list. However, unlike most of them, especially Q.U.B.E, Antichamber could stand up beside Portal and still be considered pretty damn good. Most certainly not better than Portal (cause almost nothing is), but great nonetheless. Not much of a plot to the game though but it certainly has personality in it like Portal does. That was the problem Q.U.B.E had that Antichamber doesn't. While not as funny or entertaining as GLaDOS, Antichamber often has words of wisdom that usually tends to either be aimed at encouraging you, or telling you how you kinda screwed up, though in a passive way. The game really feels like some sort of test or experience that you have been put into to test your knowledge. Though at times, that really is debatable as the game just loves to around with your head, often making loops you didn't realize and putting you in places you weren't before without you realizing it. It also has a bad tendency of trapping you or making a puzzle no longer solvable through a simple mistake as well as having no real pause feature which is a shame because if I wanna pause something so I don't miss it, I either gotta go back to the starting room and go all the way back if there wasn't a checkpoint there, or miss it by leaving it unpaused. Though I still stand by the game happily as it is an amazing puzzle game that shall stick to my memories. Go get it! Expand
  44. Nov 30, 2013
    Nothing you've ever played before. This game will make other parts of your brain work. First steps teach you new ways of thinking, building new patterns of game-play, purposefully counter-intuitive to the way classic games are played. Then difficulty progresses and you'll be pleasantly surprised to approach Antichamber with ways you'd never have thought doing in a game. At some point, you get addicted and don't stop playing, even though you don't even know what you're trying to achieve and why! Very clever and bold from the devs to have come up with such innovative game that competes with nowadays gaming standards. Expand
  45. Nov 19, 2013
    This game will really twist your brain. As soon as you think you've got it figured out it (sometimes literally) pulls the rug from under your feet. I thoroughly enjoyed the puzzles even when I felt hopelessly stuck. I don't think it has too much in common with Portal, but one similarity definitely is that it's great fun sitting with a friend or two at the comp and trying to figure out the next puzzle. It's more fun in a small group, just like Portal.

The only (slight) let-down for me was the very end it didn't feel the same way, as if it didn't quite belong to the game proper. It felt more like a platformer then. Nevertheless, after finishing it, I had 12 pictures missing from my wall and I spent another few hours digging these out with some online help, but that was still fun. The overall design and the ambient soundtrack complement it extremely well.

All in all I spent 27 hours of mind-wrecking fun on it. It's certainly not for everybody, and the notions about making you feel dizzy and nauseous are true I felt totally fine but my GF could not look at it. But if you cope with that and love puzzles and non-linear weird environments, go for it!
  46. Feb 9, 2013
    great price and a great game Tpocth has no idea what he is talking about. both me and my girl enjoyed this small indie for 4 6 hours. well made and an amazing twist on portal gameing if you like portal you will love this game. i give the the WIZE stamp of approval
  47. Feb 9, 2013
    To be quite honest, at first glance this game seemed like another pretentious Indie Game trying to capitalize on the success that portal had with it's quirkiness. But it seems there is a lot more to it than that, and you'll certainly notice that after playing it for more than 5 minutes. Every decision you make feels like it actually counts towards something, and you are rewarded many times for thinking outside of the box (and you'll have to think outside the box a lot if you want to complete this game. I don't really want to explain much about the game hence the simplistic look of it, because there is a lot more to it and I can guarantee you'll enjoy it throughout. The game doesn't hold your hand throughout, it lets you make all the decisions, and learn from your failures. With games these days not being able to budge an inch to make an effort to be original, and the opposite problems for Indie Games trying to be "retro" stylized as a poor excuse for laziness and a quick way of seeming "different", Antichamber is the sore thumb out of all of these games, but in a good way of course. A very good way. Expand
  48. Feb 12, 2013
    If any game is going to reach the standard set by the Portal series, it's this game. But comparing them almost seems like a category error, because beyond the quality of their puzzles, they have few similarities. Portal is a story- and character-driven puzzler that captures its audience with humor and a creeping sense of claustrophobia; ultimately, the player's objective is to complete the puzzles set by the antagonists so that they can survive and escape the facility. Antichamber, on the other hand, offers the player no objective beyond the promise of more puzzles if they complete the current ones, and the chance to leave the stark and minimalist setting if they complete all of them. This may seem like a downside at first, but it ends up being more like a poignant meditation on the puzzle genre in general, a reminder to the player that he or she playing the game because figuring out puzzles is fun, and just winning some trophy at the end is not.
    ________
    New gamers will like how Antichamber forces one to experiment and think outside the box in order to progress, while experienced gamers will appreciate its subtle subversions of puzzle game tropes and how well it takes advantage of its non-Euclidean environment. I found myself most grateful for its use of the "hub" system that allows instant travel between different areas of the game, so I would never have to remember all the mind-bending twist and turns I had to take from A to B, and so that I would never have to repeat a puzzle in order to return to an unexplored area. It's non-linear format will also please gamers who obsessively backtrack to make sure they haven't missed anything (i.e. me), as there are no hidden areas that aren't directly related to progressing forward (except for maybe the pink blocks behind the walls, but apparently these will have significance in a future patch). In general, what makes this game most compelling is how it genuinely makes players take different perspectives and often weird approaches in order to solve a puzzle. This is perhaps in contrast to Portal, whose puzzles are solvable merely with high spatial intelligence and a good eye for knowing where to put portals.
    ________
    My only reason for not giving this game a perfect 10 would be for subtle faults or omissions related to the provided "hints". While all the puzzles can be reasonably solved without having to use a guide (or even any of the cryptic hints placed on the walls nearby), there is a distinct tendency to get "stuck" at points. By "stuck" I do not mean with a specific puzzle, but instead with the sense that one has explored all they can explore (given their current materials) and are "missing something" in order to go forward. This could be solved by having the hub system highlight areas where the player has yet to do something that they "could" do. In retrospect, though, such an addition may be impossible, as there always appears to be multiple avenues a player can take to progress forward.
  49. Mar 5, 2013
    Well huurah, I have made an account for writing a review of a game till now i haven't got a real reason for creating an account, but this time i've played Antichamber. This is simply most complex and inteligent game ever made, and most weird fpp ever. Portal and Portal 2 are comparing to Antichamber just plain and simple. I personaly think that there will be in electronic entertainment time, where history of the games will be divided into to parts: one of that before Antichamber and second one after. I just hope that this game will no go unnoticed. It is brillant an worth notticing. Just chceck it out yourself. Thank you. Expand
  50. Mar 5, 2013
    Quite good. The game is both intellectually engaging and well paced. I would say that it teaches you to think outside of the box, but that isn't quite right. It's more like the game rests in it's own self consistent box.
  51. Mar 28, 2013
    This Game is good for me thank you I rate this game 10/10 I would recommend this game to any portal fan, and anyone who loves a good mindbender with satisfactory outcomes
  52. Mar 29, 2013
    When you need a game that can surprise you with something different than a zombie jumping at you from a dark corner: This is it! Simplistic design and gameplay enfold to a vast array of puzzles, mind benders and tricks. And the most fun: It does never prohibit you from trying or being more clever than the game (i.e. circumvent some puzzles you shouldn't solve yet by other means).

Its
    only downsides: It is quite short (but maybe for the better to not repeat itself) and the rather meta-ending is a bit 'out there', but still okay.

- Cazy
  53. Jul 13, 2013
    The best game i've played! It's soo fun! The maps change your mind! It's a strategy game like Portal but 100x better! And it's cheap and Indie!!!!!!!!
  54. Jul 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I unfortunately saw spoilers of this game before i bought it, so i kinda new what to expect. :c

I dont know about you, but i HATE. Puzzle games. HATE them. To me, when i think puzzle games, i think the type of puzzle games like my Grandma plays. "words with friends" or "help ally the alligator get to her pond" or "Fling a cat to the goal". I think of the multicolored bubble-blaster crap you always find on "OmgFreeGames.com". But then i bought antichamber. It twists your view of reality and spits on it. Lets say you are walking down a hallway, and you peer through glass to another hallway. You think you are going to go into that next hallway, yes? Nope. Instead, you look through the opening into the second HW, and see a giant spaceship. "Oh holy i didnt see that there. Im going to turn around and come back to this in a sec, let me explore the other paths first." You turn around, Where was the hallway you were just in? All you see is a white wall. "Okay, i guess i have to go to the spaceship." You turn away from the wall only to see that you are in yet another room, falling down an endless pit.

This game has changed in what i believe software was capable of. Its beautiful, GO BUY IT. I bought it for like 6$ at the Steam Summer Sale, but its worth 60$.
  55. Aug 22, 2013
    Take all the colors from a psychedelic lava lamp couple it with a well thought out mind@#%& and you essentially get Antichamber. This game takes all assumptions of reality such as straight lines, consistent shapes and logic and throws it completely out the window making for what I consider to be one of the first intuitively puzzle games I've ever played. This game does not reward you for thinking outside of the box, it rewards you for re-inventing the box. Even when it decideds to punish you it does so in fun and creative ways which make you ask yourself "What the Hell just happened? THAT WAS AWESOME!" Even when you fail a puzzle, which will happen more often than not, the failures are often performed in such fantastic manners that even failing is fun. I can't tell you how many times I ran into a room and purposely failed it simply to fall down the chute I dubbed "the rainbow tube" because I enjoyed the color and the freefall.

Make no mistakes, Antichamber is substantially different from your typical puzzle game in that it rewards broad thinking rather repetitive motions as most modern or preceding puzzle games do. Yes, there are techniques you will use more than once, but often they are applied in a manner which they are tacked on as a composite to a larger puzzle rather than being a derivation of a repeated solution. Simply put, no two puzzles in the game are the same or even close to being the same. Make no mistake; this is not an easy puzzle game and unless you enjoy a little bit of intellectual sadism, or at the very least pretty colors, chances are this isn't the game for you.

All in all, this is a game for people who enjoy trial and error erm, trials who don't mind failing in fantastically mind blowing ways. The puzzles are all unique and well thought out and there is a huge amount of satisfaction to be had in completing a puzzle and then handing the game over to your friend. Nothing seems to quite beat resisting the urge to tell them how incredibly simple the puzzle they just spent an our on really is after you spent roughly the same amount of time stumbling through it yourself.

The only reason I don't give this game a 10/10 is because as an indie game, with the proper support I could see this game being markedly better than it already is and believe me, that's saying something.
  56. Sep 15, 2013
    This is one of few games where everything you ever learned about videogames is put to test. I has a very fresh and unique mechanic and makes you question everithing you knew about gaming; A very fun and new experience
  57. Oct 18, 2013
    playitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayit!! Expand
  58. Jun 23, 2014
    Amazing experience, one of the kind. Great audio and visuals, awesome puzzles. Missing controls configuraion and perhaps FOV. Strongly recommend to anyone that likes a bit of brain challenge.
  59. Dec 23, 2013
    A Labyrinth that does a great job of making you feel totally lost. The only way to succeed is to think about patterns, try anything, and think about yourself and what you are doing. Above all, do not panic. It's a very odd feeling to play this game. The best association that I can make is to a Navy port visit [or foreign travel in general]; stuck in a new country with odd customs and language. The only way to get anything you want is to reflect on what you know, what you think you know, and what you perceive.

This is also the same reason that someone could absolutely hate this game. I know this. Every port visit, there are three groups of people; 1) Those that stay on the ship and ignore everything 2) Those that seek the Hard Rock Cafe and drink their time away until they feel like they are in a familiar place 3) And those that interact with the country and come back to the ship with all the cool stories and gifts. Think about this. Know what you are getting into.

9/10 because I would like controller support.
  60. Mar 28, 2014
    This is by far one of the most compelling and ingenious game i have played. It has the right to stand right beside FEZ as one of the games that has the utmost respect for the player and the time spent. This is the first puzzle game i have completed without using any sort of guidance. Not to mention the pure art of the level design and the sheer philosophical genius that went into constructing the vignettes which provide all the narrative you could possibly ask. Expand
  61. Mar 1, 2014
    The best puzzle game since Portal 2. One of the first games I've played that is entirely innovative, nothing is used from any other games. The art design is amazing, and it really makes you feel like you are playing in an MC Escher painting. Only bad thing is that it is extremely difficult in some parts, but that is agiven with a game like this.
  62. Feb 16, 2014
    At first, this game may completely melt your brain, but once you get going it's pretty darn addictive. Part of the game's charm is that it doesn't explain anything about the game really. I found myself wanting to play more and more just so I could figure out the next mind warping puzzle. I personally thought this game was fantastic and it's worth the few dollars you can buy it for on steam. You'll definitely get your money's worth. Expand
  63. Mar 11, 2014
    These puzzles don't follow the normal laws of space and geometry and will make your brain hurt in the best kind of way. Antichamber's just a series of puzzles, no story, no characters, no enemies - take that for good or bad. I think it takes a certain type of person to like this game - you have to be very good at problem solving and thinking outside the box, you've got to test the puzzles to see how they work. As a puzzle it's excellent but you'll find it lacking if you want a game. It reminds me of the film "Cube". Expand
  64. Feb 19, 2013
    A decent puzzle game for $15. Had the price remained that, the score would have easily been a 8/10. However, as it stands, this game is not worth $20. I know it's just $5 bucks, but the game is a bit too shallow and incomplete for that extra dough.

Anyway, onto the game. The graphics are unique and engrossing. It's an Unreal Engine 3 game that's been filtered to hell and back, and it
    comes out the other side looking like some kind of ink drawing. It's really kinda neat... but the game relies a lot on style. Sometimes the ambient noises and strange sound effects are pretty irritating. The puzzle mechanics can't help but feel wasted. Immediately, the non-Euclidean, illusory nature of the level design becomes apparent... but then the game devolves into puzzles based on a puzzle-gun, reminiscent of the portal gun from Portal. Instead of portals, however, the gun shoots blocks. Hardly an interesting concept, but the puzzles that utilize the gun are fairly interesting and sometimes quite tricky. However... some puzzles are irritating because at first glance, it seems there is no hint telling you about your need for extra equipment. That leads to puzzles seeming solvable when they are, in fact, not. That's poor game design, flat out. That led me to second guessing whether puzzles were solvable or not, which in turn led me in circles, easily doubling the amount of time it took to complete the game... and adding to my frustration.

On another note, the overall level design is impossible to really grasp. It's an incredible accomplishment on that front... the entire game is one level, and can be completely traversed seamlessly. That really means something special once you realize that there are dozens of puzzles crammed in there somewhere. Sometimes, turning around can put you in a completely different room... it really makes the player feel like they can't rely on a "room" or a "hallway" as an overall concept. The game does a good job of destroying your basic conceptions of geometry. I laughed a few times when the game tricked me into feeling secure about knowing where I was. I would walk into a room, see a sign on the wall, turn around, and... welp, I'm in a completely different room... and sometimes? I could turn around a third time and end up in yet ANOTHER room. This game can really surprise you.

Sometimes, I would feel like I was going to outsmart the game. The game rewarded me with Easter eggs, such as some behind the scenes stuff, concept art, and in one occasion, a map of a particularly confusing hallway-based puzzle. This kind of reminds me of Portal, but instead of fleshing out the world, it shows a little bit about the game itself... almost like a "Bonus Features" section of a DVD. This is a nice change from Portal. I am very happy that the creator of this game elected to ignore story and provide a game instead. I wasn't going to believe whatever nonsense he tried to feed me about this bizarre, yet wonderful location.

One final note about how good the playable space is designed:

It takes many hours to complete on your first play through, probably 5 or 6 on average. I completed a subsequent play through in eight minutes. This game is full of shortcuts, and big ones are often right in your face and you just don't seem them. It takes some talent to hide the obvious by putting it in plain sight.

So, in conclusion:

Cons-
    1. Too expensive for what it is.
    2. Game has minor incomplete elements.
    3. Puzzles are sometimes disappointing.
    4. Game design is sometimes poorly thought out.
    5. Relies too much on style... which is strange for a puzzle game.

Pros-
    1. The level design is just *that* special level of good, where you actually notice how good it is.
    2. Usage of Non-Euclidean space is very entertaining to navigate, and often exciting!
    3. Game is full of secrets and Easter eggs.
    4. The game doesn't even attempt to explain itself, which was a good choice. We didn't need another Portal 2.
    5. Again, the level design is amazing.

1. Jun 10, 2013
    If you’re looking for the most extreme, bizarre, intelligent and wacky puzzle game, look no further. [April 2013]
  2. Apr 5, 2013
    I just finished Antichamber. I feel satisfaction I haven’t experienced after completing any game in many years and for the first time in ages I learned something about myself while playing. It’s hard for me to expect anything more from a game. [CD-Action 04/2013, p.82]
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Antichamber is an intriguing little experiment. It is both a humble imitation and an attempt to avoid all the trappings and clichés of the genre. Alas, it fails to excite. Unlike Echochrome and Braid, where we bending realities to our will, in this game its creators simply tease us whenever they feel like it.