• Publisher: Demruth
  • Release Date: Jan 31, 2013
8.2

1. Sep 20, 2014
    For those who are looking for a challenging puzzle game that not only taxes the way you think about puzzles but the way you think about puzzle games you'll probably love Antichamber - unless the game manages to troll you really good by causing you to waste hours of your life on a puzzle with a simple solution or a trick answer. Then you'll probably wish you never bought the game. AfterFor those who are looking for a challenging puzzle game that not only taxes the way you think about puzzles but the way you think about puzzle games you'll probably love Antichamber - unless the game manages to troll you really good by causing you to waste hours of your life on a puzzle with a simple solution or a trick answer. Then you'll probably wish you never bought the game. After something similar happened to me, I just didn't have the heart to keep playing. Those who are more persistent and have copious amounts of time might fare better. Expand
  2. Jun 30, 2014
    The game is ok. There are some very clever ideas followed by some terribly confusing ones. That's fine in the beginning, but later on navigating locations becomes absolute chore. Memorizing the map is pretty much impossible, so whenever you're using the map to teleport, you spend very long time hovering over rooms, to see which room is where. I guess that's the part of the challenge, andThe game is ok. There are some very clever ideas followed by some terribly confusing ones. That's fine in the beginning, but later on navigating locations becomes absolute chore. Memorizing the map is pretty much impossible, so whenever you're using the map to teleport, you spend very long time hovering over rooms, to see which room is where. I guess that's the part of the challenge, and definitely good thing for speedrunners. But for me it was too much. Sound design is really cool. But the minimalistic art style becomes very tedious after a while. I don't know why is that exactly, I think later on there is much more detail in rooms, and I was getting bit dizzy. Overall, the experience get's really tiresome with time. But it is a very unique game, and it's definitely worth experiencing. Expand
  3. Jun 23, 2014
    Amazing experience, one of the kind. Great audio and visuals, awesome puzzles. Missing controls configuraion and perhaps FOV. Strongly recommend to anyone that likes a bit of brain challenge.
  4. Jun 11, 2014
    This game doesn't rely on excellent graphics or innovative story, but instead brings 8 hours of pure fun. You get the best experience, when you jump into the game with no expectations on what the game has to offer. In return, you get rewarded with clever puzzles with satisfying solutions, constant mind-benders and -twisters, and generally an adventure you will never quite forget. TheThis game doesn't rely on excellent graphics or innovative story, but instead brings 8 hours of pure fun. You get the best experience, when you jump into the game with no expectations on what the game has to offer. In return, you get rewarded with clever puzzles with satisfying solutions, constant mind-benders and -twisters, and generally an adventure you will never quite forget. The puzzles are one of the most satisfying in the world, and finding all the secrets can sure be a thing to brag about. I enjoyed every second of it. Expand
  5. Mar 28, 2014
    This is by far one of the most compelling and ingenious game i have played. It has the right to stand right beside FEZ as one of the games that has the utmost respect for the player and the time spent. This is the first puzzle game i have completed without using any sort of guidance. Not to mention the pure art of the level design and the sheer philosophical genius that went intoThis is by far one of the most compelling and ingenious game i have played. It has the right to stand right beside FEZ as one of the games that has the utmost respect for the player and the time spent. This is the first puzzle game i have completed without using any sort of guidance. Not to mention the pure art of the level design and the sheer philosophical genius that went into constructing the vignettes which provide all the narrative you could possibly ask. Expand
  6. Mar 11, 2014
    These puzzles don't follow the normal laws of space and geometry and will make your brain hurt in the best kind of way. Antichamber's just a series of puzzles, no story, no characters, no enemies - take that for good or bad. I think it takes a certain type of person to like this game - you have to be very good at problem solving and thinking outside the box, you've got to test theThese puzzles don't follow the normal laws of space and geometry and will make your brain hurt in the best kind of way. Antichamber's just a series of puzzles, no story, no characters, no enemies - take that for good or bad. I think it takes a certain type of person to like this game - you have to be very good at problem solving and thinking outside the box, you've got to test the puzzles to see how they work. As a puzzle it's excellent but you'll find it lacking if you want a game. It reminds me of the film "Cube". Expand
  7. Mar 1, 2014
    The best puzzle game since Portal 2. One of the first games I've played that is entirely innovative, nothing is used from any other games. The art design is amazing, and it really makes you feel like you are playing in an MC Escher painting. Only bad thing is that it is extremely difficult in some parts, but that is agiven with a game like this.
  8. Feb 24, 2014
    New world to explore, with new laws. Physics and possibilities. That's beyond bizarre or unique. What on earth? You should see that. My head is spinning.
  9. Feb 16, 2014
    At first, this game may completely melt your brain, but once you get going it's pretty darn addictive. Part of the game's charm is that it doesn't explain anything about the game really. I found myself wanting to play more and more just so I could figure out the next mind warping puzzle. I personally thought this game was fantastic and it's worth the few dollars you can buy it for onAt first, this game may completely melt your brain, but once you get going it's pretty darn addictive. Part of the game's charm is that it doesn't explain anything about the game really. I found myself wanting to play more and more just so I could figure out the next mind warping puzzle. I personally thought this game was fantastic and it's worth the few dollars you can buy it for on steam. You'll definitely get your money's worth. Expand
  10. Jan 20, 2014
    A game that is surely likely to mess up with your mind. Antichamber can easily boast with its unique art style and rather mind-bending environments. It presents itself as one enormous labyrinth full of various puzzles. However, the puzzles often require you to think outside the box and a lot of the time do not follow standard rules of physics. You could end up in a never-ending corridor,A game that is surely likely to mess up with your mind. Antichamber can easily boast with its unique art style and rather mind-bending environments. It presents itself as one enormous labyrinth full of various puzzles. However, the puzzles often require you to think outside the box and a lot of the time do not follow standard rules of physics. You could end up in a never-ending corridor, or you could turn around and realise a completely different way has opened up than the one you came from. Sometimes you’d end up walking in circles, other times confronted with branching paths.

The style of presentation in Antichamber is definitely commendable, but is it really fun? The mind-bending environments are interesting at first, but the novelty wears off very quickly and instead you start wishing that the game would just stop misleading you all the time. The game has a very non-linear approach to it. A lot of the time if you’re stuck, you can simply return back to the ‘lobby’ area and pick a different path and solve the puzzles along that route. Eventually all routes are meant to be important, or at least that’s what I’ve gathered anyway.

One of the problems about this approach is that as you go on through the labyrinth, you will acquire certain devices that will allow you to pick up and place cubes of different colours in your environment and are meant to be used to solve some of the game’s puzzles. This means that at times you’ll be coming across puzzles that you can’t yet solve until you’ve gotten the right device, which can at times be annoying because there’s no way to tell whether a puzzle in front of you can or cannot be solved at the time. A lot of the game’s ‘rules’ don’t seem to make much logical sense and require a lot of random experimentation. For example, walking over some of the drops will create a path in front of you, or trying to pick up green cubes from the middle of the structure they’re in will cause its ends to disintegrate, leaving you with less cubes to work with.

Throughout the game there is also a number of philosophical quotes scattered about. However, most of those quotes don’t inspire much thought and instead are a collection of common sense mantras that you’re more likely to teach your kids. It’s stuff like ‘sometimes you’ve got to go backwards before you can go forwards’. As you go collecting each quote, they all compile on a huge screen in the lobby area. To what end I am not sure, because I didn’t collect them all, but it seems as though it tries to draw a diagram of a person’s life and some of the time they seem relevant to the puzzle in a nearby room.

Overall the game’s setting is way too abstract for my liking. I couldn’t get much satisfaction from solving the game’s puzzles, because every time I solved a tricky puzzle, the game would either take me back to where I’ve been already, or bring me to one of the puzzles that I cannot yet solve. The sense of progression is not felt and there is little to no incentive to keep going through the remainder of the labyrinth. After several hours in I got tired of coming back to the same puzzles over and over again, so I ended up giving up on the game. I think Antichamber is the kind of game that you either get it or you don’t. It stands out with its unique art style and unorthodox way of puzzle solving, but it’s hardly rewarding for the player and I couldn’t get much fun out of it.
  11. Jan 18, 2014
    If you like interactive puzzlers, don't miss this gem. Truly unique in all the right ways, I'd say rivals portal in overall quality of experience and gameplay.
  12. c3p
    Jan 10, 2014
    While i like the idea, the learning curve is too steep in my opinion. Often i wander around aimless searching for "correct" way to proceed the game. I also would love a "dark mode" with differently coloured walls.
  13. Jan 3, 2014
    The first portion of the game where the player is unarmed is hands down the best portion of the entire game. You have nothing but your brain and legs to solve puzzles and there are some very clever world-warping puzzles for you to solve and navigate through. Some pretty good head-scratching stuff here which had me going in circles for a while before I figured things out. Sadly this doesn'tThe first portion of the game where the player is unarmed is hands down the best portion of the entire game. You have nothing but your brain and legs to solve puzzles and there are some very clever world-warping puzzles for you to solve and navigate through. Some pretty good head-scratching stuff here which had me going in circles for a while before I figured things out. Sadly this doesn't last. You eventually start to pick up "guns" which let you manipulate blocks in different ways (depending on the "gun" you picked up) and this is when the game plummets from a high 9 score right down to a 6 or even lower. You go from the clever world-bending mazes to what are essentially point-and-click block puzzles. Some of these block puzzles make good use of the bendable world but the majority do not. The majority of these puzzles that I have seen are nothing more than a panel on the wall with sliding blocks in it or slots by doors for you to stick blocks into. While these are technically still puzzles they are neither fun nor clever. After the amazing first-section of the game I expected more from the later portions. TotalBiscuit's PAX interview with the developer had the dev saying that he wanted puzzles in which the puzzle was finding out what you needed to do rather than immediately seeing your goal and then the puzzle was actually completing it. Every single block puzzle I have seen so far has been the opposite of that. I can almost immediately see what I need to do but getting it done is very tedious, finicky, and just frustrating. Yeah I can complete the puzzle but there is no enjoyment or WOW-factor in doing so. I have free games on my Android phone which shares similar concepts to some of these block puzzles. I guess I expected something more from what is known as a very prestigious and award-winning title. The second point I would like to raise is that the game has a serious problem with not actually telling you key information. I understand the game wants to be the silent type and let you figure things out for yourself and I can kind of respect that many games have issues with holding your hand. This game, on the other hand, completely withholds information about mechanics which are absolutely mandatory to continuing further into the game. The end result is that figuring out the mechanics is more of a puzzle than the actual puzzles are. I'm supposed to use the tools I have at my disposal to solve the challenges ahead but half the time I don't even know what my tools even do. This doubles the frustration and halves the fun of what are already not very enjoyable puzzles. I honestly think that if they just stuck with the basic game as seen from the beginning it would truly be a much better game. Either that or maybe the basic non-upgraded block manipulator gun. The game goes from abstract mind-melting puzzles to slide-square-blocks-around and I feel it really harms the game. Shame, really. Expand
  14. Dec 24, 2013
    Antichamber is a piece of art! And like any art beyond criticism, people like it, interpret stuff into it or just can't see a point in it. That's why for me it is hard to give it a fair point rating at all. First of all, this game's style is reduced to the necessary of a "game". You explore, try solutions on puzzles and learn something from it. Game mechanics are explained by simply doingAntichamber is a piece of art! And like any art beyond criticism, people like it, interpret stuff into it or just can't see a point in it. That's why for me it is hard to give it a fair point rating at all. First of all, this game's style is reduced to the necessary of a "game". You explore, try solutions on puzzles and learn something from it. Game mechanics are explained by simply doing things sticky nodes after a test give you some "wisdom". It does not have to try hard with epic graphics, epic story, epic whatsoever like other mainstream games do it simply works. The level design is confusing. You cannot simply figure out which path to take to get somewhere special; sometimes you end where you've started, sometimes you run in circles, but you always get somewhere and figuring out the rules is part of the game. It can be frustrating, but after a while I started to understand the rules of this world so well, that the solutions simply came to me. The story is artistic in the same way this whole game is. It tells you something and nothing. So much said: "The journey is its own reward". IF OTHERS think this game is stupid, going nowhere or could have been done by a 10 year old, that's a valid opinion. Not everyone entertained by a "Kill anything in a sandbox"-game or a quick-time-event-movie-game will like this kind of game. IF YOU say "3D puzzle games are no innovation since Portal", think about the struggles many game developers had telling the publishers, they want to do a 1st-person-game without shooting people. After all, Antichamber is simply a GAME like PONG.... with lots of Expand
  15. Dec 23, 2013
    A Labyrinth that does a great job of making you feel totally lost. The only way to succeed is to think about patterns, try anything, and think about yourself and what you are doing. Above all, do not panic. It's a very odd feeling to play this game. The best association that I can make is to a Navy port visit [or foreign travel in general]; stuck in a new country with odd customs andA Labyrinth that does a great job of making you feel totally lost. The only way to succeed is to think about patterns, try anything, and think about yourself and what you are doing. Above all, do not panic. It's a very odd feeling to play this game. The best association that I can make is to a Navy port visit [or foreign travel in general]; stuck in a new country with odd customs and language. The only way to get anything you want is to reflect on what you know, what you think you know, and what you perceive.

This is also the same reason that someone could absolutely hate this game. I know this. Every port visit, there are three groups of people; 1) Those that stay on the ship and ignore everything 2) Those that seek the Hard Rock Cafe and drink their time away until they feel like they are in a familiar place 3) And those that interact with the country and come back to the ship with all the cool stories and gifts. Think about this. Know what you are getting into.

9/10 because I would like controller support.
  16. Dec 15, 2013
    The Emperor's New Clothes of games.

Antichamber is supposed to be "mind blowing" and "non euclidean". That may be true from a developer's standpoint. However the way it presents itself to a player is more in the vein of Zelda "discovery" of "oh I have to go up, up, up, left, right, left, down". Trial and error is not mindblowing. Neither is it a "clever puzzle". If you have 1000
    The Emperor's New Clothes of games.

Trial and error is not mindblowing. Neither is it a "clever puzzle".

If you have 1000 monkeys and 1000 gaming areas, you will see this game beaten. Cleverness? No. Cleverness is not required. Randomness is required. When A doesn't work, do B, C, D, E, F until you have "solved" the conundrum.

As in the Emperor's New Clothes, I feel that people are too ashamed to downrate this game. It MUST be smart (and if I don't get it, I must not be) so I should rate it highly, seems to be the case with many a reviewer.

If you like closing your eyes and throwing darts and then patting yourself on the back when you get a bullseye, by all means, this is the game for you.
  17. Nov 30, 2013
    Nothing you've ever played before. This game will make other parts of your brain work. First steps teach you new ways of thinking, building new patterns of game-play, purposefully counter-intuitive to the way classic games are played. Then difficulty progresses and you'll be pleasantly surprised to approach Antichamber with ways you'd never have thought doing in a game. At some point, youNothing you've ever played before. This game will make other parts of your brain work. First steps teach you new ways of thinking, building new patterns of game-play, purposefully counter-intuitive to the way classic games are played. Then difficulty progresses and you'll be pleasantly surprised to approach Antichamber with ways you'd never have thought doing in a game. At some point, you get addicted and don't stop playing, even though you don't even know what you're trying to achieve and why! Very clever and bold from the devs to have come up with such innovative game that competes with nowadays gaming standards. Expand
  18. Nov 27, 2013
    This is Portal on drugs mixed with "I'm gonna mind f*c* you". You'd be stupid not to get this. Got it on Steam on sale and oh my god what a trip! Not your average game but don't let the plain graphics fool you, it actually made the game better this way. I'll be the first in line to buy the sequel.
    The negative review guys don't appreciate a gem like this game. Go back to call of duty you fools. To the guys that made this game, please make more like this. I have a few hundred Steam games and let me say this is top 10. I'm drooling for more like this. PLEASE make a sequel! My wallet is crying for you.
  19. Nov 19, 2013
    This game will really twist your brain. As soon as you think you've got it figured out it (sometimes literally) pulls the rug from under your feet. I thoroughly enjoyed the puzzles even when I felt hopelessly stuck. I don't think it has too much in common with Portal, but one similarity definitely is that it's great fun sitting with a friend or two at the comp and trying to figure out theThis game will really twist your brain. As soon as you think you've got it figured out it (sometimes literally) pulls the rug from under your feet. I thoroughly enjoyed the puzzles even when I felt hopelessly stuck. I don't think it has too much in common with Portal, but one similarity definitely is that it's great fun sitting with a friend or two at the comp and trying to figure out the next puzzle. It's more fun in a small group, just like Portal.

The only (slight) let-down for me was the very end it didn't feel the same way, as if it didn't quite belong to the game proper. It felt more like a platformer then. Nevertheless, after finishing it, I had 12 pictures missing from my wall and I spent another few hours digging these out with some online help, but that was still fun. The overall design and the ambient soundtrack complement it extremely well.

All in all I spent 27 hours of mind-wrecking fun on it. It's certainly not for everybody, and the notions about making you feel dizzy and nauseous are true I felt totally fine but my GF could not look at it. But if you cope with that and love puzzles and non-linear weird environments, go for it!
  20. Nov 17, 2013
    Antichamber is a very good first person puzzle, more "crazy" and elaborate than many other puzzle games. It's a true experience, but its nature makes hard for someone to appreciate it properly. VIRTUALINN.IT
  21. Nov 15, 2013
    This game to be quite pleasant puzzle. Some puzzles quite challenging, other require almost no thinking at all. I haven't finished it yet, but doubt my review will change after i done with it. If you see this game on sale buy it, if you willing pay full price better for you, you can start playing right now!
  22. Oct 25, 2013
    Excellent game for a puzzle/brainf**ing experience. The design is interesting, with just some colors and uniform walls. No story. And that's actually working like a charm.
  23. Oct 22, 2013
    Antichamber was engrossing from start to finish. The pacing of the puzzles, especially, seemed really well done. The attempts at pithy advice it constantly doles out got a little old, but I learned to ignore them.
  24. Oct 18, 2013
    playitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayitplayit!! Expand
  25. Oct 14, 2013
    It's definitely the most original first person puzzle game yet, but as to whether it's an enjoyable experience... The Jury is out. Definitely gets points for effort though.
  26. Oct 10, 2013
    Antichamber is a very good puzzle game, which uses the first-person perspective like a lot of shooter games. It is very ground-breaking in the sense that a lot of the game mechanics are completely new. So as far as originality is concerned, Antichamber scores big. Unfortunately, the actually game playing experience does not quite live up to the originality of the design. The puzzles allAntichamber is a very good puzzle game, which uses the first-person perspective like a lot of shooter games. It is very ground-breaking in the sense that a lot of the game mechanics are completely new. So as far as originality is concerned, Antichamber scores big. Unfortunately, the actually game playing experience does not quite live up to the originality of the design. The puzzles all involve progress from one room to another. There is no storyline to speak of other than "inspirational posters" that you encounter at each puzzle. For me the satisfaction of solving the puzzles would have been greater if there was an overall story. Also, it would have been better if some of the puzzles had been of a type where you do more than just figure out how to move from point A to point B. There are a few cases where it is hard to tell if you have really solved the puzzle. If there had been a kind of running score, or a little "happy music" when you solved a puzzle, this would have enhanced the game experience. There is no tutorial at all as to the rules and mechanics of the game, you figure this all out during the game. In some cases this makes the game more fun, since figuring out the game mechanics is part of the puzzle. In other cases, it is just plain frustrating, since there is a lot of trial and error to figure out how the game works. One big problem is the color coding system. There are parts of the game that you will encounter early on that are impossible to solve before you progress in other areas. You can waste a lot of time and become very frustrated before you figure this out. I still think this is a very good game and well worth your money. I would recommend starting with a strategy guide that explains the basics of the game mechanics and the color coding system, and how to use the map in the starting area. Don't spend too much time in any one puzzle, use the esc key to go back to the starting area and choose a new puzzle (color appropriate) before spending too much time on any one puzzle. Expand
  27. Sep 15, 2013
    This is one of few games where everything you ever learned about videogames is put to test. I has a very fresh and unique mechanic and makes you question everithing you knew about gaming; A very fun and new experience
  28. Sep 13, 2013
    As the game's name very well suggests, Antichamber is a game that sets out to do the unorthodox. The entire premise of the game focuses on two aspects: exploring a series of rooms and halls featuring impossible geometry, such as a box that's longer on the inside than on the inside, along with a 'gun' that manipulates small cubes in order to solve puzzles. Antichamber makes a point to haveAs the game's name very well suggests, Antichamber is a game that sets out to do the unorthodox. The entire premise of the game focuses on two aspects: exploring a series of rooms and halls featuring impossible geometry, such as a box that's longer on the inside than on the inside, along with a 'gun' that manipulates small cubes in order to solve puzzles. Antichamber makes a point to have players think outside the box with both how one travels from point A to point B, as well as how one approaches a puzzle logically. This is accompanied by a slew of fun little philosophical tidbits that also connect, to some extent, to real life.

There are many reasons to love Antichamber. Perhaps most blissful is the unusual aspect of enjoying getting lost in the game's strange layout (and lost you will get), supported by the game's also unusual graphics consisting of thickly outlined simple mesh polygons that are mostly white with splashes of highly saturated colors. Gone are textures, and shadows are lighting are very minimal. Even stranger is the fact that all of this is set to a variety of nature based ambiance rather than any sort of musical score, making the experience all that much more relaxing even in the face of a dead end, a perplexing puzzle, or realizing that you are going in circles.

The puzzles put forth in Antichamber are also a delight, teasing those with preemptive puzzle game solving knowledge and providing a new outlook on the genre for the new and veteran alike. Puzzles are mostly in the form of performing various actions involving small colored cubes, the cube colors correlating to what gun power is required to solve the puzzle. Actions boil down to essentially just moving the cubes, but this can range from sucking up cubes and then placing them to block motion sensing laser paths, to moving a trail of cubes that pull along any trail of cubes adjacent, and more.

Many people might compare Antichamber to Portal, and there are certainly some similarities. However, where Portal is a linear puzzle solver accompanied by dark humorous banter by the antagonist, Antichamber is more of an open ended journey into expanding one's perspective. To this end Antichamber has very little in terms of narrative (just a minute amount towards the end), but this helps free the game to its open-endedness and surrealistic experiences. Antichamber does what it sets out to do sublimely, but unfortunately it's mission is a tad niche and simply will not be for everyone. Even some avid puzzle enthusiasts might have some trouble sinking into Antichamber if they are not charmed by it's unconventional artistry, and those seeking simply to explore a virtual gallery of geometric (and philosophical) musings might find the puzzle aspects to be too frustrating.

All in all Antichamber is a crowning achievement for avant-garde game design, and a wonderful journey for those with an open curious mind. Highly recommended for those seeking something challenging and soothing with an unusual design perspective, but probably not for classic action gamers or those who want clear cut objectives in their games.

10/10 despite lacking a bit in terms of optimization and far from being universally appealing, this game's artistic achievement is one the best I've experienced.
  29. Sep 11, 2013
    Antichamber is to games is what elevator Muzak is to music. Seriously, playing the game is like being stuck in a book of collected motivational cliches. As far as I can tell, the whole game is made up of wandering aimlessly down one corridor after another while clicking on signs with stupid motivational messages. What's the point? The game is marketed and reviewed as a puzzler, butAntichamber is to games is what elevator Muzak is to music. Seriously, playing the game is like being stuck in a book of collected motivational cliches. As far as I can tell, the whole game is made up of wandering aimlessly down one corridor after another while clicking on signs with stupid motivational messages. What's the point? The game is marketed and reviewed as a puzzler, but it's really more of an "experience" like Dear Ester and its ilk.

On top of the mediocre to very poor gaming experience, the game options are as rudimentary as possible. It's not possible to adjust the keyboard mapping to something suitable for left-handers, it isn't possible to setup a gamepad, it isn't possible to set the resolution to match my 16:9 Windows Desktop, it isn't possible to adjust the sound levels, and the game is riddled with horrible, horrible aliased and jagged lines with no option to enable anti-aliasing. All these features should be trivial to include, since the game is built on the excellent Unreal engine, but the developer must've felt like creating an options menu or setup program was too much work.

This is definitely another indie game that benefited from rating inflation. It doesn't deserve the 8.2 that it received, so pass on it until it shows up for four dollars or less.
  30. Aug 30, 2013
    Its a one-of-a-kind game thats for sure. Its a puzzle game but very different in that its really trying to make you see things in other ways then what you been taught. It looks good but again different. So why the low score? Well i just dont enjoy it. I tried several times but it bores me. The game has very little direction which is on purpose i think. So i find myself not knowing where iIts a one-of-a-kind game thats for sure. Its a puzzle game but very different in that its really trying to make you see things in other ways then what you been taught. It looks good but again different. So why the low score? Well i just dont enjoy it. I tried several times but it bores me. The game has very little direction which is on purpose i think. So i find myself not knowing where i want to go. I get stuck on some sort of puzzle and i just feel unmotivated to crack it. If you are a sucker for puzzle games this is probably it for you. Perhaps even an masterpeice. Me? I just dont enjoy this. Expand

1. Jun 10, 2013
    If you’re looking for the most extreme, bizarre, intelligent and wacky puzzle game, look no further. [April 2013]
  2. Apr 5, 2013
    I just finished Antichamber. I feel satisfaction I haven’t experienced after completing any game in many years and for the first time in ages I learned something about myself while playing. It’s hard for me to expect anything more from a game. [CD-Action 04/2013, p.82]
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Antichamber is an intriguing little experiment. It is both a humble imitation and an attempt to avoid all the trappings and clichés of the genre. Alas, it fails to excite. Unlike Echochrome and Braid, where we bending realities to our will, in this game its creators simply tease us whenever they feel like it.