• Publisher: Demruth
  • Release Date: Jan 31, 2013
8.2

1. Feb 11, 2013
    I'm not as charmed with this game as others have been. The basics are you move from one room to the next solving puzzles in a minimalistic 1st person world. There's no goal other than connecting the different rooms and seeing all the hint messages along the way. After "beating" an area you'll find yourself either in a new room or right back where you started. After failing a room, the same thing will happen, making it unclear when you should feel like you've accomplished anything. Sometimes the reward is a dead end. Or maybe it's not. Who knows? The controls and physics within the game often lead you to wonder if you passed an area the way you were supposed to or if you stumbled on some exploit they didn't consider or correct. This also robs you of your sense of accomplishment. Most of the puzzles don't take thought or planning, rather experimentation. You just do things until something works and move forward. Sometimes you'll reapply what you stumbled on previously, but most of the puzzles are just mindless poking around. As soon as you understand, the game will move on and introduce something else that will be equally confusing on first inspection. These cheap tricks are what passes for difficulty. The mind-bending stuff is hardly ground breaking. I mean, the original zelda and super mario had repeating mazes. You're not going to mouth the word "wow" unless you're easily impressed and have already prepped by others who swear this is a mind-blowing work of art. I can assure you it's not. The end game plays like an empty/texture-less Doom level. You just stroll along an ill-defined catwalk for 5 minutes and watch an end sequence that nowadays could have been animated by a 10 year old. It is an addicting game. I'll give that. I didn't put it down until I beat it but the same could be said for most browser games. Was it fun? Not really. I feel like most that recommend do so because they think it validates their intelligence and because calling games where nothing happens "art" is in fashion. It feels like someone entirely foreign to video games had a cool idea but lacked basic video game theory to make it rewarding or enjoyable. Everything in the game is smeared with vagueness to cover its shortcomings. It sounds like a bunch of reverse-engineered cop-outs when I hear the game designer explain what's going on. I would recommend if it were a free browser game (because all they need is the addiction part) but as it's not, I cannot. Sorry guys. Expand
  2. Feb 1, 2013
    One of the best puzzle games ever made. In most video games they give you a few options but most of them don't lead anywhere. When the hero is asked "Do you want to save the princess?" It might give you a Yes or No choice but really no matter what you pick, you have to go save the princess. Not in Antichamber. Every decision you make leads somewhere. Turned left instead of right at an intersection? The game will happily let you continue down this path for 20 minutes throwing puzzles at you as you go just to find yourself trapped in a room with no way out. Probably because you missed some really important clue or ignored all the really subtle warnings that you were going the wrong way. This game might just be the most scary games ever made. Its not a fear of something popping out at you and eating your face like most horror games, its a fear of the unknown. Its the same fear you might get before giving a big speech in front of a large audience. What if I make a mistake? What if I forget what I was going to say? What if the audience does not like what I'm about to say? Only now its what if I go down this hallway instead of the other one? What if I close this door behind me and I get trapped? What if this next room has a hidden trap door and I fall into a completely new level? What if I did not find all the items I needed to from the area I can no longer access?
    You can always teleport out by pressing the escape key and start again, but you don't want to. You never want to admit the game beat you or that you fell for such an obvious trap. The game does such an amazing job setting the mood and pulling you in that it almost feels like your trapped for real.
    Overall its one of the best games I have ever played.
  3. Jan 31, 2013
    I thought after the Portal era, that the first person puzzle genre would be left unexplored for many years to come. I thought I was smart. I thought that they didn't make games hard anymore. Antichamber has gently relieved me of these delusions. I've been playing for hours and I don't even think I'm past the first level yet. It seems so abstract, but after grinding away you eventually find the clues cleverly woven into walls, or skillfully hidden in the cryptic language of the signs located throughout. There is no one solution, no single correct way to proceed. You must try and remember everything, and once you devise a possible solution it will no doubt take technical execution.

I highly recommend this game, but come prepared. I didn't think a game could mentally toy with me like this one has, or be capable of downright stumping me in a manner that ridicules my intelligence. It's challenging and frustrating, but at the same time lots of fun. Games have veered away from the model presented in Antichamber, which is why I believe I like it so much.
  4. Feb 1, 2013
    After playing Antichamber for:- 1 minute."what the frick is this crock of twaddle!" 2 minutes."I'm feeling disorientated and dizzy. groan." 3 minutes. "Goddam it I'm stuck. How the hell....." 4 minutes "Ahh! thats it I got it, but wait..what the hell is this... 1 hour. "HEY WORLD I've just been playing this most awesome puzzle game, its like this um..er ok you are in this room right and um its all freaky like you are in some wierd Escher drawing on acid and you gotta sorta navigate through um these corridor kinda things and and..OH MY GOOD LORD YOU GOTTA EXPERIENCE THIS Expand
  5. Feb 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game had me hooked from start to end. Amazing puzzles (that's challenging, but not impossible) set against some amazing visuals at time... all that while playing the most calming background music. At one point you can solve a particular puzzle and end up in a room where the developers set up a picturesc roadmap of the product development throughout the years. You can see how the product changed throughout. I would recommend this game to any portal fan, and anyone who loves a good mindbender with satisfactory outcomes. Expand
  6. Feb 5, 2013
    FINALLY an interesting indie game that ISN'T A *#&&%#ing PLATFORMER! Never thought I'd see the day. Oh and look at that it's priced correctly as well.
  7. Feb 3, 2013
    I don't give out many 10's, but this game earned it. It doesn't look like much from the pictures, but in my book this is the first first-person-puzzler game to even come close, and possibly match, the brilliance and uniqueness of Portal, besting even Quantum Conundrum and Qube. There's no witty narrator, or even a storyline; you simply start in a black room, then walk around a mansion(?) where the laws of physics, logic, and sanity don't apply. The puzzles are rather open: unlike Qube, you do not simply linearly progress from one puzzle to the next. Rather, it's more like you can do the puzzles in almost any order you want, and you often don't even know if you're solving a puzzle or simply exploring. The game does many things to disorient you and punish you for conventional ways of thinking, but it's never done over-the-top or in a way that will simply frustrate you; an incredible amount of thought must have been put into this game. It's hard to explain how it does that without giving away any spoilers --in fact, it's hard to explain anything that happens in this game at all-- but it should suffice to say, if you enjoyed Portal, you will enjoy this. And of course you enjoyed Portal, so go out and buy this. PS. Valve needs to hire this guy to spearhead Portal 3. Expand
  8. Mar 17, 2013
    Antichamber is one of the most interesting games I've ever played. It's confusing, mind-blowing and just simply beautiful. Most people would think that one hour and a half will be enough to complete this game, but the Puzzle Solving in Antichamber gets more and more difficult, and some of the chambers are not as you remember. There is no story, you only have a sort of ray gun to store and shoot little cubes, and you walk and jump. End of the story. Yet, in every chamber, there are sort of Motivational sentences or morals that help you or hint you the puzzle. The game is really entertaining. Unfortunately, there isn't a sense of accomplishment neither replayability. The game's graphics are beautiful, but sometimes clunky. This is no Portal (It tries to be more a thought-provoking game than an actual puzzle game). Either way it is fun, only that its short duration and unexplained concept is potentially disappointing. I will give it a 7. It's not the best puzzle game ever, though it will give an hour or so of bran-burning fun. Expand
  9. Mar 8, 2013
    Antichamber is an interesting game. It tries really hard to be different which might really please some people. It certainly feels different from other first person puzzle games which might be a reason to pick this game up if you are getting bored of other games in the same genre. I am not entirely in love with everything about this game though. First of all i should mention that i got really badly dizzy and nauseated when playing this game. I have never experienced this before despite gaming for quite a long time and this might be a total deal breaker for people more sensitive than i am. It did certainly affect my time with this game negatively. Puzzle-wise it is quite varied. The game do have some really interesting puzzles that feels smart and fresh, But it also have some quite odd puzzles that just is not all that fun to solve. I am also not a big fan of the non-linear progression system in the game. In theory its sound cool to be able to solve different puzzles at different places at your own pace. However since some puzzles are unsolvable without the proper tools gained trough solving a different puzzle you might find yourself trying to solve a unsolvable puzzle which is not all that fun. Antichamber is not a bad game but its not a game that will appeal to all kinds of players. It certainly didn't appeal to me and being kind of clever from time to time doesn't excuse the fact that the general gameplay wasn't all that enjoyable for me. Expand
  10. Feb 3, 2013
    I have never played anything quite like this game. Antichamber is a game that wants to be a game and nothing else. Every moment throughout I felt immersed and involved. Absolutely fantastic!
  11. Feb 5, 2013
    New. Creative. Fresh. These are one of the few words i can amass to encapsulate this game. If you're interested in puzzle games this game is a definite buy. There is no "story" but you won't feel the need for one. Controls are smooth and minimalistic. There is no clogging, no needless keys. Antichamber is also very challenging, you have to think outside the box if you want to move forward in this game. Only reason i'm giving it a 9/10 is because of color palette. For some reason color contrasts in this game is eye-straining. Still, overall a very good game. Expand
  12. Feb 5, 2013
    The game was advitised as messing with your brain, sadly for me it missed abit and only seemed to mess with my stomach. Having games for the best part of 24 years, this is the first game out of the hundreds that I've played that has made me feel physically sick. That coupled with the need to manually edit a configuration file as I don't use WSAD makes me give this game a poor score. This game seriously needs a health warning, a BIG ONE.

I'm sure the puzzles are truely asume and mind blowing sadly, but between the the FOW and the colors they have chosen I don't think I'll ever play it through as for me a game should not send you running to the toilet to throw up. Of the puzzles I've seen they are not difficult, however given I could only play for 10 minutes, in comparison to the first 10 minutes of most games it certainly starts at a harder level, so I can definately believe what others have written.

I really wish I could give this a higher score.
  13. Feb 2, 2013
    Stark and simple, but immeasurably exciting. Each step forward is an adventure as reality seems to bend and fold around you, and you're left wondering, moment to moment, what the game is going to pull out of its hat next. But unlike many games that might give you a few 'oohs' and 'ahhs' before wearing thin, Antichamber forces you to examine your surroundings and use what it gives you to solve expertly crafted puzzles. There is no real reward except a new way forward and the distant promise of an ending, but that was plenty for me. A shockingly unique game in today's colour by the numbers market, Antichamber is everything that makes art games good. Expand
  14. Feb 5, 2013
    Fun fun fun. What else could you want? Some people are complaining about it being too difficult, too nerdy, boring, whatever they are saying, but don't pay any attention to them. The puzzles are interesting, they feel good to solve, and if I didn't know any better I would say that this game is making me smarter. The music facilitates a kind of creepiness that I really enjoyed, plus you never shake that feeling that you never know what might pop up next at any moment around any corner, or just right behind you. I really enjoyed every second of it and hope that like Portal it gets expanded into a full fledged big budget game, because the creative minds behind this game really deserve a bigger audience. Expand
  15. Mar 10, 2013
    Great game, you may compare it to Portal, but it is a completely different experience. You never now where you are heading and where the current puzzle takes you. Great!
  16. May 8, 2013
    I've now played through the entire game 4 times, and there's more to learn and enjoy each time! Antichamber is, by far, the best puzzler I've ever played, and its primitive block-graphics add to, not subtract from, the experience! The first time you learn that the game isn't going to play fair, your entire world shifts under you, and all of your pre-conceptions melt. it's an amazing feeling that I miss in modern, flashy games (which I also love!)

If you enjoy a game that takes risks and throws you into uncertainty, this is definitely the one for you!
  17. Jan 31, 2013
    This game is about walking in corridors and finding rooms and entering said rooms only to find out that there is no corridor anymore to then turn around and be in a different room.

Tenouttaten.
  18. Feb 19, 2013
    The puzzles in this game are mind blowing. The rules keep changing, the rooms keep changing, what does this game define as absolute? This game is like Portal but taking it up a few notches. I like to compare this to the Cube movies. Portal is to Cube 1, you understand what the concept of what's going on and the laws of reality are what we already know. Antichamber is like Cube 2: Hypercube, you have to relearn what you consider is "real". It's just amazing what the developer pulled off with this game. Unfortunately, the game has absolutely no story and there are some collectibles that do absolutely nothing as of right now. I feel like $20 is a bit steep for the regular price, it would have been better priced around $15 instead. Expand
  19. Aug 30, 2013
    Its a one-of-a-kind game thats for sure. Its a puzzle game but very different in that its really trying to make you see things in other ways then what you been taught. It looks good but again different. So why the low score? Well i just dont enjoy it. I tried several times but it bores me. The game has very little direction which is on purpose i think. So i find myself not knowing where i want to go. I get stuck on some sort of puzzle and i just feel unmotivated to crack it. If you are a sucker for puzzle games this is probably it for you. Perhaps even an masterpeice. Me? I just dont enjoy this. Expand
  20. Jul 10, 2013
    [AntiChamber Steam PC Score 10] Superb a 3D first person puzzler. For the gamer great fun and addictive. For the programmer an inspiration in the creation of different. Computer gaming is again coming to life with refreshing ideas, so simple and straightforward, a force generating euthymia in its player, the development of patience and pride in solving each challenge. Go get it now and be prepared to be wowed.

Released on Jan 1st, 2013 and played about 5 months later by me [DRM] Steam only and thank goodness there is no GamesForWindowsLive on this title.

[Story]
    You discover solutions to puzzles. There is no cute girl with a nice chest with the protagonist in voice over saying “She has such pretty eyes” while everybody stares at her nipples. There are no battles in the Breastriary in Nippopolis. There is no Cheesing. Just puzzles. However the next version of this game could easily involve scantily clad aliens and power ups.

[Challenges and Mechanics]
    Learn each new skill. Don’t look with your eyes because they lie. Feel the force Luke. Trial and error is likely to make up for brief intense stupidity, and thank dog !
    [Save] The game saves itself like every game should.
    [Keys] cannot be remapped because the game takes place in 24000 BC when dinosaurs ruled the earth. You can stick it up your WSAD !

[Game time] 30 hrs and counting. Go back and finish the stuff you did not get even though you beat the game !

[Audio] I always play with headphones. I thought the audio was great. They could make it even more important in the game play next time. Thank you!

[ToYou]
    My compliments to all of you who pursue and share this obsession to experience this modern digital art. There are many games that will not be playable in 15-20 years because of OS and hardware changes. The time is now to experience these achievements. Think about going to museums and looking at those Van gogh paintings already 150 years old today. Think about watching reruns of old TV programs anytime you want. This will not be possible for most games and digital art dependent on game engines so consume and enjoy now and appreciate the moment.

[Children] Good for 12 years old and up.... be warned that the puzzles can be challenging.

[MyPC 2011] i7-2600K 3.4GHz ASUS Z68 ProGen3 8G RAM Radeon 6870 W7 PRO SP1 Samsung 275T @1920x1200 Logitech G15 Kensington ExpertMouse

[MyFavorites] [Win7] AntiChamber Stacking Metro2033 Rochard TheDreamMachine Crysis&Warhead&2 JustCause2 Rage [XP] DeuxExHR&TheMissingLink DeadSpace1&2 Fallout3&NewVegas HalfLife1&2 Bordelands1&2 BatmanArkumAsylum AssassinsCreed Magicka RedFaction Portal1&2 FromDust MrRobot Sam&MaxSeasons1&2 CulpaInnata TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland DreamfallTheLongestJourney Syberia1&2 CrayonPhysicsDeluxe DefenseGridTheAwakening PlantsVsZombies Prototype Bioshock1&2 UnrealTournament3 Quake4 [360] AfroSamurai BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO KOTOR1&2 Crackdown ArmedAndDangerous AggressiveInline BeyondGoodAndEvil DeadOrAlive1&2&3&ExtremeBeachVolleyball Psychonauts [AppleG4] FullThrottle DeusExMachina ONI ReturnToZork Suspended UnrealTournament TombRaiderSeries [Born] 1964

[PS: I do not know anybody who works in the game industry I just enjoy games
  21. Jun 16, 2013
    Senseless, storyless, narrativeless, nonsense. I want my money back. The puzzles are pulled out of a lama's a$$ and follow no rules. Good for those who are deaf, blind, and want to play a video game.
  22. Feb 2, 2013
    I had no idea what to expect from this game. Bought it just out of boredom. But then I finished in one go. It is very original and fun puzzle game.
    I loved how the difficulty was balanced. Many puzzles just did not have any specific rules. You just have to stumble upon the solution. But... the game slowly taught you all the needed skill. And I did find myself stuck only a few times and
    only for a short time. The game does not lead you by your hand. But still gives you enough hints (usually in a form of a easier version of a puzzle) so you know what to do or at least try. Expand
  23. Feb 4, 2013
    I was blown away. This is the first time since Portal I've been so engrossed in a puzzle game. If it were by a big-name publisher, it'd be the game of the year.
  24. Mar 25, 2013
    I haven't had such an experience for a loooong, long time if ever. Antichamber bears some resemblance to Portal, but at the same time is different enough and in many aspects unique. Interestingly, the non-Euclidean geometry, which might come off as its central idea, before you play it, is in fact secondary to its main puzzle mechanic, which involves the manipulation of small cubes, and at first looks quite mundane, but soon reaches incredible depth.
    The sense of disorientation, caused by the spatial anomalies, the striking visuals and the ambient soundscape put you in extraordinary mood of mystery and curiosity I always wanted to progress a bit further and see what’s next. In short if you like puzzle games you owe it to yourself to try this out.
  25. Feb 2, 2013
    The developer sure knows how to break any gamer out of their molding to learn a few things about themselves. This fantastic puzzle game is easily a 10/10 in my book, despite its many graphical glitches here and there. A game should be rated on its mechanics, aesthetics, and game play, all of which compliment each other perfectly. Well done!
  26. Feb 6, 2013
    Absolutely awesome. Blew my mind all over the place and made my brain hurt more than a game like Portal ever could. Have not beat it yet due to pure frustration, but a good kind of awe-inspiring frustration.
  27. Feb 3, 2013
    This is by far one of the most um diverse puzzle games I've experienced, it is clearly among my favorites of portal and world of goo. This game displays such diverse conditions its never possible to predict what your in for next, half way through a puzzle you might think you have the hang of it only for the game to introduce an entirely different way of manipulating and navigating your environment. And with each new possibility comes more possible outcomes or are they? In a preview totalbiscut talked to the developer of this game, it was kinda funny how he viewed the players, the first part is to break every conceived notion of FPS games and then teach you a concept that would be easy to understand had you not previously broken and reformed your brain. Um so yea its tricky Expand
  28. Feb 2, 2013
    This game is just a revolutionary and unique as Portal was upon its release, and maybe even a little more so. I finished this game in jiffy because I just couldn't put it down. The environments are astounding, the music is mesmerizing, and the puzzles are just the right amount of difficulty to challenge you, but not leave you in the dark. One of my favorite games ever, and that's hard to accomplish. Expand
  29. Feb 14, 2013
    While this game was at first enticing I quickly grew tired of extremely repetitive mechanics that we have seen in many puzzle games. This game also lacks any guidance whatsoever and is essentially a waste of time. I am quite befuddled when I see people praising this game. While it does have SOME originality it is only at the start of the game. The only thing I really liked about the game was the nice minimalistic art style, although; this game is certainly no work of art. Expand
  30. Mar 4, 2013
    When you have 1000 ideas while making a puzzle game and you just pick the best one's this game is the result. It's not that linear game-play like in portal so if you stuck at some point you can try other puzzles.
    But not only the challenging puzzles are awesome. There are "signs [which] might be more helpful then you think" but mainly after you solved the challenge which often left a
    smile on my face.
    The "gun" if you can say this to this tool which you get can be used in many ways so there are often similar tasks to do which you must solve in a different way. (Don't want to spoiler them)

All in all I can say everyone who likes to play with his brain turned on (not those fps cod players) and likes to solve little problems will have fun playing this game!

1. Jun 10, 2013
    If you’re looking for the most extreme, bizarre, intelligent and wacky puzzle game, look no further. [April 2013]
  2. Apr 5, 2013
    I just finished Antichamber. I feel satisfaction I haven’t experienced after completing any game in many years and for the first time in ages I learned something about myself while playing. It’s hard for me to expect anything more from a game. [CD-Action 04/2013, p.82]
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Antichamber is an intriguing little experiment. It is both a humble imitation and an attempt to avoid all the trappings and clichés of the genre. Alas, it fails to excite. Unlike Echochrome and Braid, where we bending realities to our will, in this game its creators simply tease us whenever they feel like it.