4.0

1. Dec 17, 2012
    I've played the original Gothic back in...when It came out, it was about 10 years ago. so I can hardly remember anything except I loved the game. So I won't be comparing this part with the original. I've got this game on a steam sale in "Gothic Complete Pack" for some very cheap price. I've walked through the whole game. So this is my impression:
    Pros: 1) Decent graphics 2) Decent
    Pros: 1) Decent graphics 2) Decent soundtrack Cons: 1) Weak storyline 2) Stupid and repetitive quests (all of them are fedEx or "kill them all" type) 3) Bad voice acting, bad lip sync and bad dialogues 4) Inconvenient inventory (you can't compare the item in your inventory with the one you are wearing) 5) Stupid fast travel system 6) poor combat system (all the battles are like this: you are running backwards shooting arrows/magic, because meele combat with more than one enemy is knowingly a failure) 7) Stupid AI, especially the NPCs, they will be making their ordinary deals even if their house is crowded by monsters, the guardians won't help you kill the mobs if they are in the city etc. 8) Poor roleplay/skill system. So, overall the game is playable, but I can't call it enjoyable and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, it's a waste of your time.
  2. Sep 6, 2015
    this game is common action rpg. hitting sense is so-so. but horrible storyline and repetitive enemy is so bad. maybe developer lacks money. graphic is so-so
  3. Aug 27, 2012
    This game is really Gothic in name only. It is nowhere near as hard as the previous games nor does it use the level up system of previous games. Overall I found it a really, really easy game especially compared to previous versions. Honestly it wasn't challenging at all. I died once the entire game. This is certainly not the Gothic we love.

The story is pretty good but the combat

The story is pretty good but the combat is so simplistic it doesn't even deserve to be called an RPG. It is more like an action RPG. If you just pound on the mouse button you're going to win every battle with little loss of health. Every time you hit somebody it stuns them so I went through most battles, including the final boss, without them so much as taking a swipe. This is really sad because early on you learn about blocking and breaking blocks but they are useless skills.

The skill system is pretty simplistic too compared to previous games. At level up you just add a couple of points to a handful of skills and you're done. No real room for creating unique characters. You become overpowered early on such that most of the game is a complete yawn fest.

The monsters are interesting until you realize they all do the same thing: hit you with a weapon, cast a spell or shoot you with something. Even the boss battles are nothing more than them hitting the ground to knock you over. There was so much potential here...

The biggest gripe I have with the game is its poor travel system. You have access to teleporters but they are really just to get you back to where a quest is due. You have no control over where they go nor can you use them to speed your way through the world. Expect to do a lot of running, which is dog slow. Even worse is that in the main city you'll find that there are wooden walls set up to prevent you from reaching your destination without having to run all the way around the city. This is invisible walls at their worst. Often you can see the very goal you are trying to get through but a wooden wall blocks the way. Evidently a sword swing hero can't climb over a wall or just break it down. This means you'll be doing a lot of backtracking.

Overall this is not a real Gothic game. They simplified everything to the point of being too easy and boring. Eveything that made Gothic a good series, such as the unforgiving combat, is gone. In its place is an action RPG that is mediocre on its own but a real letdown for the Gothic series.
  4. Sep 8, 2014
    It is not a good game.
    "Average" defines it well. Average combat, average world structure, average character development, bad crafting, a somewhat good plot.
    It misses a ton of features one could expect from a Gothic game.

But it's still playable and has moments on its own.
  5. Jun 13, 2011
    Fairly enjoayable, solid RPG. Sure the hero is not as badass as in previous games. Lipsync and facial animations are a bit lacking, and you keep seeing the same faces over and over, but combat has really improved from previous Gothic games. I dont see why people hate it so much, sure it doesnt live up to the first two, but its not a bad title either. If you're a fan of the series, youFairly enjoayable, solid RPG. Sure the hero is not as badass as in previous games. Lipsync and facial animations are a bit lacking, and you keep seeing the same faces over and over, but combat has really improved from previous Gothic games. I dont see why people hate it so much, sure it doesnt live up to the first two, but its not a bad title either. If you're a fan of the series, you should get it just to see the old characters and how the story evolves. Because lets be honest, Gothic universe is too great for just for 3 games, theres still alot of places we havent been at. We want to explore more of Myrtana, and here we get it. Expand
  6. May 22, 2014
    This is the second buggiest game ever, after Fallout 3. DO NOT BUY THIS even on a humble bundle for $1. Your eyes will also throw up from how bad the graphics are.
  7. Sep 12, 2014
    some what fun combat at times had to make myself play but was interesting, bugs here and there but was worth what i paid in hours i guess. If they would cut the game in half and polished it could've been much better just half ass work everywhere you look. Story bland with some humorous parts. Graphics suck pretty bad also.

Worth $5.00
  8. Apr 5, 2014
    I think this game deserves a solid 8.6/10

My only grumble with it is that it seems to have a bug that makes it run choppy. It doesn't seem to matter what CPU you play it with for some people as it lags, especially around the towns. Some peoples systems are OK with it, some are not. All other complaints I disagree with point blank. Some say it isn't part of the Gothic series. I think
    I think this game deserves a solid 8.6/10

All other complaints I disagree with point blank. Some say it isn't part of the Gothic series. I think the main issue with that is that it's shorter by about 50%. However having played Pirahna Bytes games myself like Risen, they took too long to play. Everything was just dragged out. I played the Gothic 3 demo and to be honest, I was only partially impressed.

Graphics are stunning. Music is spot-on. Voice acting fine. The story is rock-solid, though it has a bad bit soon after the start; (no spoiler included). Combat is spot on for a third person game: I mean really spot on. I like most of the characters, and love most of the locations. You can just go for a walk in most places, taking in the views, or wandering over a wooden bridge.

Even though I am struggling for frame rates, I am loving playing through this, and am about 3/4 way in. This is a game that's charm stays with you and brings you back for more play time. However if charm is not your thing, it may not feel right for you. Whichever way you look at it, my character soon became a mace wielding bad-a$$. This aspect in a world with great design, and engaging story, is a yes from me.
  9. Apr 21, 2012
    Not one of the best Gothic series episode, i was expecting an awesome game like the previous but it turned out to be a "Linear mediocre" you can't even re-visit past locations just because the way get locked most of time, this game is not worth full price but if you are a fan, and have a bit of time free is nice to to be played.
  10. May 18, 2013
    I think this game is a good game on its own. But when you call it "Gothic", you can't call it good anymore. It used to continue the gothic-series but it was a disappointing game for Gothic fans. When you don't call it Gothic it was very fun. The Figthing-System was'nt bad at all. The story neither. The graphics were awesome! But as a Gothic Fan I just can't tell you, that this is a good game.
  11. Oct 20, 2010
    Not great at first but REALLY improves. Excellent Game! Fighting is very fun compared to the last Gothic, and the graphics are super good. A bit short, but definitely worth a try!
  12. Oct 17, 2012
    I liked the game itself and had very few issues, beautiful graphics.. somehow the dlc didnt work wortha **** graphics were totally fubar missing ocean missing armor crazy.
    If you can get it onsale its a decent buy
  13. Oct 12, 2015
    This game was just bland. Our hero was completely disinteresting, the plot was pretty mundane, the dialogue was stiff and uncomfortable, and the world was vanilla flavored fantasy. The combat felt decent and the game had a good length to it, but it certainly wasn't an exciting romp. I don't recall anything about the game that I absolutely hated, nor can I think of anything I reallyThis game was just bland. Our hero was completely disinteresting, the plot was pretty mundane, the dialogue was stiff and uncomfortable, and the world was vanilla flavored fantasy. The combat felt decent and the game had a good length to it, but it certainly wasn't an exciting romp. I don't recall anything about the game that I absolutely hated, nor can I think of anything I really loved. It was just boring. So I guess if you're looking for a cheap and easy game to whittle away some free hours you might as well give it a go. Just don't expect much. Expand
  14. May 15, 2014
    A solid game in the "Gothic" series. Better than the previous installments in every way. Load screens aren't insanely slow, though they could still be improved. Linear quest line, though you have enough side quests to shake things up too. Graphics were well done, and the story was passable too. About midway through the game when you leave one particular zone on a quest line, and can't goA solid game in the "Gothic" series. Better than the previous installments in every way. Load screens aren't insanely slow, though they could still be improved. Linear quest line, though you have enough side quests to shake things up too. Graphics were well done, and the story was passable too. About midway through the game when you leave one particular zone on a quest line, and can't go back. Don't worry as the questline will bring you back around and everything is open again. At first, since the questline is so long, I wasn't sure I'd every get back to finish exploring the previous zone.

It's a solid game, and I'm looking forward to playing Arcania: Fall of Setarrif. Definitely worth a buy on sale (which is how I buy every game).
  15. May 18, 2011
    This game would have received a 7 from me if they hadn't had 'Gothic' in the title. Gothic means a lot to RPG fans, and this game just stole the setting and slapped on a shallow, brown-yellow exterior that made me cringe while playing it. Gone is everything that made Gothic games great in this iteration, avoid at all costs.
  16. Oct 29, 2010
    While there is much room for improvement, do not discount this title so quickly. The first part of the game (tutorial island) is a major letdown and falsely leads the player into expectations as to what the actual game is like. Get past this, and you will find an absorbing and enjoyable action RPG.

THE BAD: Voice acting & lip sync is atrocious - almost embarrasing to listen to. NPC models

THE BAD:
    Voice acting & lip sync is atrocious - almost embarrasing to listen to. NPC models and skins are very limited, the same facial skins roll very frequently. Quests are very unoriginal mostly involving talk-to-him and fetching etc. Crafting system is overly simple. Levelling system is also overly simple. Jumping animation is clunky and ugly. Invisible barriers.

THE GOOD:
    Fantastic graphics, despite some pop in and shadow flickering the game world is an appealing place. The much touted weather effects are cool (particularly the lightning) but not that special. The combat system is rather smooth and enjoyable as a melee class. Ranged and magic combat is not so great.
  17. Sep 21, 2011
    This game have really great graphics but only this is great.... Missions is lineal adn sometimes boring. All is too much simplifcation and this is big minus. Town and village and all game world is no live..... This is no bad game bad i no advice this game Gothic series fans........ 6/10
  18. Sep 7, 2011
    Hack and slash RPG. There is no depth, poor storyline and terrible plot development. Game not even a challenge. This game is literally carried by the weight of the Gothic title.
  19. Sep 27, 2014
    I like these games. I get a lot of play out of them and I don't mind that they are not cutting edge graphics etc. I have been playing video games since there were video games. Gameplay is what I want and this game has bags of it.
  20. Mar 25, 2011
    When I played it for the first time, I was more disappointed than I thought I will. Spellbound did really bad job on that one.. It is a merely a continuation of previous Gothics. Only two good things that I am able to come up with are the graphics and improved fighting style (Compared to Gothic 3). Improved doesn't mean good though.. Most of opponents we face during the game we won't haveWhen I played it for the first time, I was more disappointed than I thought I will. Spellbound did really bad job on that one.. It is a merely a continuation of previous Gothics. Only two good things that I am able to come up with are the graphics and improved fighting style (Compared to Gothic 3). Improved doesn't mean good though.. Most of opponents we face during the game we won't have any problems with. Character faces not only repeat often, but people all seem the same even when talking to them. I must admit I didn't beat the game, but I've played it for plenty of hours and I must say it is really monotonous.. The quests we do are boring and nothing we never seen.. "Go there, collect this.. kill him/it/them.. bring me that.. find me some of these.. talk to him.." As far as I've seen the storyline, I completely didn't like it. Bringing up some characters from old Gothics is only as much as it relates to previous series. Oh, this, and creatures from Gothic series. The world isn't really interesting to explore at all. We often are forced to visit caves and all of them look a lie and have the same schematics. We enter the cave, do a circle and come out just where we entered, only that we need to jump down. They made exits high so players wouldn't be able to go this way after entering the cave. And in each damn cave it's the same story. The world isn't open anymore, we unlock locations. We don't have NPC as teachers to increase our stats, we just choose what we want to improve after leveling up. Bah! We don't even need a smithy to make a sword. We can forge one standing in the middle of swamp. Same for potions any anything else. Makes the game way too simple, and makes it seem like developers made this game for little kids, for which previous Gothics were too complicated. One thing I also don't understand is that we are able to choose "American" version of colours and textures which make game to seem.. More.. Friendly.. Less.. Dark and evil. This really is ridiculous.. Well.. I played the game for a bit.. I was forcing myself to play it, hoping that it will get more interesting later down, but it didn't. This game disappointed me greatly, and is nothing like previous Gothics. I didn't like Gothic 3 when it was out to begin with, but Arcania... Arcania made me appreciate Gothic 3 now. Arcania made me realise how great continuation of Gothic 2, Gothic 3 is. After I seen how bad can continuation of Gothic 3 be. Gothic 4 just isn't fun. I am giving it 3, since I enjoyed it a little slightly bit at the very beginning. But the more I've played my hate for this game started to grow and grew more and more. It's just a waste of time. Let me do a quick summary. Pros: -Umm.. Graphics? -Soundtrack isn't bad.. Cons: -Monotonous. -Too easy, even on hardest difficulty. -It just isn't the same anymore... I rather call it Arcania, than Gothic.â Expand
  21. Aug 16, 2014
    Heyyo, I love how all the Pirana Byte fans bash this game because it's not made by Pirana bytes... The combat in Gothic 4 isn't broken like other Gothic & Risen games by Pirana Bytes. It's not the most exciting game, but at least the gameplay isn't fundamentally broken. For that? I actually finished the game without rage-quitting like gothic 2 and Risen 1.

But seriously... fans of

But seriously... fans of Pirana Bytes are the worst fanboys ever. they even know the devs make broken games yet still sing their praises... they're worse than Apple fanboys... and that says things. At least Apple products aren't fundamentally broken minus iOS 7. :(
  22. Oct 27, 2017
    I played this game for 16 hours because I really wanted to enjoy it.
    First of all, I wanted to like it because I'm a fan of first 3 parts of Gothic. Let's say it straight, this is different game, don't expect fourth part of Gothic. Some elements are similar, but general feeling is: this is different game.
    So in the next step I tried to enjoy it as RPG game. If game is different than
    I played this game for 16 hours because I really wanted to enjoy it.
    So in the next step I tried to enjoy it as RPG game. If game is different than Gothic, that doesn't mean it's a bad game, right? So in that situation it is not true. This game is bad. Some elements, like graphics and music are quite nice, but generally game is just bad. Main story is totally linear, you can't go wherever you want. World is divided to small parts and you have to explore them one by one, you can't encounter a lot stronger monsters than you.
    I love RPGs, but this game didn't sucked me. I didn't feel that I explore the world I want to explore. I didn't feel I'm a part of adventure, I want to be part of.

VERDICT:
    If you're a fan of Piranha Bytes games, save yourself the disappointment.
    If you're a fan of good RPG games, there are many better games out there.
    If you finished all RPGs and you need to play it, be prepared to collecting the honey in one of most stupid quests. So if you like winnie the Pooh, go ahead, this game is made for you.

Like this review? Consider to join Good Games Giveaways & Reviews group and maybe press big sexy "Follow this curator" button on our curation page to read more reviews and win free games.
  23. Oct 28, 2017
    Как самостоятельная игра - возможно и хороша. Но отсылка к серии Готика эт полное издевательство над вселенной. Упрощенная боевка (удар, перекат, удар, перекат, серия ударов, перекат), скучные диапоги, линейный сюжет, замена протагониста на безизвестного пастуха ...Как самостоятельная игра - возможно и хороша. Но отсылка к серии Готика эт полное издевательство над вселенной. Упрощенная боевка (удар, перекат, удар, перекат, серия ударов, перекат), скучные диапоги, линейный сюжет, замена протагониста на безизвестного пастуха ...
  24. Oct 27, 2017
    Мне, как давнему поклоннику игр данной серии, долгое время было любопытно: что за Аркания такая и почему она больше не Готика. Скачать/купить игру руки как-то не доходили, поэтому огромная скидка (80% или вроде того) всё решила. Поставил, запустил, побегал королём Робаром, проснулся пастухом. Система боя так себе, но ничего страшного: в готиках она идеальной и не была.
    А вот дальше пошло
    А вот дальше пошло сплошное разочарование.
    Прыгнул в воду - умер. Попытался залезть на скалу/перебраться через забор - невозможно. Захотел забить пока на сюжет и пойти погулять - нетушки, каждый лужок, каждая пещера, каждый закуток открываются только после получения соответствующего задания. Сюжет поражает глупым пафосом: войска короля убили у меня девчонку, поэтому я, как и любой другой пастух на моём месте, должен срочно пойти и отомстить лично королю, у которого за плечами море боевого опыта и огромная армия. Всё это во имя добра и справедливости, конечно. Я упоминал выше о системе боя: так тут главное первым начать бить, а дальше всё зависит от количества здоровья врага. Ответить бедняга так и не сумеет. В итоге первый раз полечился я только ближе к середине игры, да и то потом ещё столько же не вспоминал об этом. Эксперимента ради я попробовал пробежать несколько локаций без геноцида его обитателей. Всё получилось настолько просто, что даже стало обидно за время потерянное на занудное истребление бесппомощных истуканов, что заменяют врагов. Традиционная встреча с толпой старых знакомых немного подняла настроение, но общего впечатления не спасла.
    Вердикт:
    НЕ готика
    НЕ нравится
    НЕ рекомендую
    НЕ играйте
    Можно из ностальгических соображений поиграть в Risen. Там дух Готики как раз имеется.
  25. Nov 26, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After years of waiting after quite bad Gothic 3 we finally get our hands on Gothic 4: Arcania! But... is that really what we were waiting for? You are not free in deciding what you want to do, the whole game is a tunnel built for you. You move from one location to another in search for more quests and loot. NPCs look the same, you cannot feel of them as of real human beings, they don't inspire you for anything. Quests are really primitive as well as dialogs. Combat system is fine, battles are dynamic, but AI is I personally tried to play as warrior, my friend played as an archer, he said the final fight was hell. Very first version is not balanced in item qualities and prices. Crafting is really primitive compared to previous games in the series. After Gothic 3, which was a shame for company made it, I really expected for much more. This game fails on every front, please consider before you buy it. Expand
  26. Oct 28, 2010
    Sword? Check. Shield? Check. Bow and arrows? Check! Stop drop and roll, to avoid the essence of mediocrity? Double check! Welcome to JoWood's second attempt at catching lightning in the bottle. It failed on Gothic 3, yet was able to capture that video game magic with Gothic 1 & 2. Sadly, JoWood dropped the ball once again, on game mechanic's, storyline and variety. The game is a technicalSword? Check. Shield? Check. Bow and arrows? Check! Stop drop and roll, to avoid the essence of mediocrity? Double check! Welcome to JoWood's second attempt at catching lightning in the bottle. It failed on Gothic 3, yet was able to capture that video game magic with Gothic 1 & 2. Sadly, JoWood dropped the ball once again, on game mechanic's, storyline and variety. The game is a technical gem to behold, I'll give the development team at Spellbound credit for that. Such an achievement should be the norm, in today's technology driven society. I'm a realist, JoWood is a entertainment, company they need to make money. Lowering your standards for game play for a broad spectrum of 'gamers' is today's 'money grab' for software publishers like JoWood.

The game mechanics are horrid, the flow of combat, becomes a simple roll one direction, swing weapon once, roll backwards and fire off your three different versions of the same spell. Oh, I forgot you can use a bow and arrow to shoot monsters, it's a kiting riot! The game has hardly any active skills, most are passive. The weapon charge system is a dated concept. Multi hit is dated concept, it's a hack n slash principle. There is no riposte system, there is no flank system, stealth is a joke, you can't sneak up and back stab. There is no back stepping, unless you're using a bow and arrow. Running backwards makes your nameless avatar run with his back to the monster. Overall the game mechanics are sub par. The saving grace of this game, is the stunning atmosphere, but beyond that avoid this title until it drops in price. The game does offer good frame rates, on most top end video cards. The load times are quick. Thanks for reading.
  27. Nov 15, 2010
    Been playing since Gothic: 2, never have I seen such a terrible release in RPG games, this is by far the worst, extremely buggy, all the elements that have made Gothic 2 a success have been taken out, graphics are incredible, although this requires high end machines, a 0/10 maybe JoWooD might pay attention in the future and listen to the hardcore fans that badly want the Gothic gameplay back.
  28. Aug 24, 2011
    the story is cliche the gameplay is terrible you have the walk to much in this game. graphics and music are nice tough. in summary this game is an insult to the gothic franchise and RPGs all together
  29. Dec 23, 2012
    What can i say? Arcania is the worst game from Gothic saga. This game would be in my assessment of the 8, if it were not one of the games of the Gothic saga. Because it's a good game, just do not feel the climate, which so influenced the player in previous versions.
  30. Oct 27, 2017
    这部作品完全配不上哥特王朝的名号,就连哥特系列最大的特色高自由度都舍弃的一干二净,即使忽略他是哥特王朝系列的作品不能说很烂但也相当平庸没有任何亮点,对话愚蠢剧情幼稚,不提本身素质,优化就是一坨屎,甚至不及哥特王朝3的优化,哥特3后来还出了补丁改善优化而阿卡尼亚就一直烂在这。如果对哥特王朝系列没有信仰请忽略这部作品。这部作品完全配不上哥特王朝的名号,就连哥特系列最大的特色高自由度都舍弃的一干二净,即使忽略他是哥特王朝系列的作品不能说很烂但也相当平庸没有任何亮点,对话愚蠢剧情幼稚,不提本身素质,优化就是一坨屎,甚至不及哥特王朝3的优化,哥特3后来还出了补丁改善优化而阿卡尼亚就一直烂在这。如果对哥特王朝系列没有信仰请忽略这部作品。
  31. Oct 28, 2017
    Somehow ist feels like the Gothic series, but fails to tell a story.
    Technically quite OK, but this game has no soul. Unfortunately...................
  32. Oct 24, 2010
    As a fan of Gothic 1, 2 and (somewhat) 3, I didn't enjoy the game. From the start, it was failing one by one all expectations I had for a game promoted under "Gothic" brand. Among the major disappointments:

1) The hero is a wuss. Gothic games are traditionally built around rugged, self-reliant, morally ambiguous character. In Arcania, the character is a pathetic simpleton, whose life ambition is (you gotta be kidding me) is to get married. Also featuring charming looks of a stereotypical junior office manager. 2) The dialogs are a rip-off. RPG computer game is not supposed to be exactly a work of high art, but *dialogs are supposed to make sense*. Characters in Arcania drivel. Dialogs in the game are built from trivial statements, repetitions and linearity.

3) Limited freedom. For example, in Gothic it was possible to attack any NPC in the game, usually with dire consequences (e.g. the whole town population became hostile). Psychologically, it makes the player feel responsible for his actions, which is an important part of game atmosphere. In Arcania, you are unable to harm NPC, unless he or she was specifically designated as hostile by the game. 4) Character development is a sham. It could be a minor point, if the game was good otherwise. For example, recent Mass Effect 2 also has a greatly simplified character development, but it is still a great RPG. For Arcania, however, it is yet another nail into the coffin.

5) Poor performance on Windows XP. The saying is that the game was optimized for DX 11. On WinXP, with minimal configurations, it looks much worse than, say, Risen and runs slower. This problem is *not* fixed by the first performance patch (distributed shortly after the release). Probably, it will get better with subsequent patches. However, until then I strongly recommend against using the game under Windows XP.

Don't get me wrong, though. The game is not all bad, it is just a huge disappointment for most of the old Gothic fans. If you are new to the series, you may like it. The graphics is awesome and the combat system is not bad at all. If you are a fan of Gothic series, try something else. Risen is real good unless you have played it already.

In general, Arcania seems like a step towards casual gaming, of which I strongly disapprove. It's certainly a bad idea to make a casual game from an epic, atmospheric RPG such as Gothic. Good casual games are many, good RPGs are scarce. Now it's one less.
  33. Oct 27, 2017
    Ich habe mir dieses Spiel gekauft, nachdem ich mit Gothic 3 fertig war.
    Anfangs gefiel es mir gut. Die Story machte für mich Sinn, es gab einen roten Faden dem man folgen konnte.
    Ich habe mir dieses Spiel gekauft, nachdem ich mit Gothic 3 fertig war.
    Das war auf der einen Seite schön, denn man bekam gleich ein Gefühl für den neuen Hauptcharakter. Auf der anderen Seite gibt es keine frei erkundbare Welt mehr und auch nicht mehr so viele Quests wie in Gothic 3. Man bewegt sich im Rahmen der Hauptstoryline arialweise vorwärts. Wer wie ich "Epic loot loot loot" singend durch die Ariale streift wird schnell enttäuscht, denn viel gibt es nicht zu finden.
    Damit bin ich schon beim nächsten Knackpunkt: Es lohnt sich beinahe nicht dinge einzusammeln.
    Ich glaube Gold braucht man vielleicht 2 mal im gesamten Spiel - für Heiltränke.
    Rüstung? Gibts geschenkt!
    Waffen? Kannste finden und später selbst schmieden (wer schmieden will sammelt Erz ein)
    Und was soll ich mit dem ganzen Gold dann machen?
    Zum Ende hin wird die Geschichte, die am Anfang noch so schlüssig war, wirr und die Erzählweise zunehmend eintönig.
    Im Prinzip kämpft man sich durch Ariale durch, findet ein storyrelevantes Item und dann gehts weiter ins nächste Schlauchlevel. Viel frei bewegen kann man sich dann nichtmehr.

FAZIT:
    Das Kampfsystem fühlt sich flott und flüssig an. Und ich glaube darum geht es in diesem Spiel. Die Story stumpft immer weiter ab, mein Erkunden und Sammeln wird nicht belohnt und viele Quests sind nicht zu erledigen. Wer ein Spiel mit dem Schwerpunkt Gekloppe sucht ist hier gut beraten, wer aber ein Spiel mit großer Welt erwartet, in der in jeder Ecke tolle Szenerien und Epicloot zu finden ist, der ist hier falsch.
  34. Aug 3, 2014
    Average game at best, story is quite good, quests are sometimes pretty good with some choices, but mostly they are only type bring me something, kill something, in the half game started to be only linear. But you could find some good and amazing things- characters from older Gothic games and dialogues with them ( especially with Gorn), amazing locations ( for example Tooshoo), amazingAverage game at best, story is quite good, quests are sometimes pretty good with some choices, but mostly they are only type bring me something, kill something, in the half game started to be only linear. But you could find some good and amazing things- characters from older Gothic games and dialogues with them ( especially with Gorn), amazing locations ( for example Tooshoo), amazing music and great graphics, especially rain effects. Expand
  35. Jul 9, 2015
    The title of this game is, like many already have stated; misleading. Gamers expecting to go through a next chapter in the Gothic series felt disappointed for obvious reasons. But the game Arcania itself isn't bad at all. Game play is fun, the skill tree is broad enough, the graphics are neat and the hack and slash character of the combat system didn't bother me one bit.

Without the

Without the part of not meeting with the expectations the title of Arcania: Gothic 4 arouses, the game itself is worth a score of at least seven, in my opinion.
  36. Jul 28, 2011
    Arcania. The newest installment in the Gothic series produced by JoWood exclusively, deviates quite far from the classic adventures that are apparent in the first three games. It seems that without Piranha-Bytes at their side, JoWood is not performing well and is slowly killing off the Gothic series with a plethora of bad sequels (Forsaken Gods and now Arcania). While the game has many aArcania. The newest installment in the Gothic series produced by JoWood exclusively, deviates quite far from the classic adventures that are apparent in the first three games. It seems that without Piranha-Bytes at their side, JoWood is not performing well and is slowly killing off the Gothic series with a plethora of bad sequels (Forsaken Gods and now Arcania). While the game has many a new features that fully complement it, there are still many things lacking or otherwise cut from the final production. First, THE PRO'S: You'll find that a wonderful new musical score, that complements the environments and certainly provides a good setting is present. Dialogue is somewhat well-performed for some of the NPC's. The Graphics are a shave close to that of some of the next gen style that is apparent these days. JoWood has included a WoW-Like quest-tracking feature as well as detailed direction in the quest lines. The inventory system is suppurb! The story is somewhat well fasioned. THE CON'S: Repetitive model use. Some dialogue is very shrill and annoying. There are numerous graphical glitches that are still apparent everywhere (Alpha Masking & Displacement), the quest lines and story are too linear and the story still cuts quite a huge deviation through previous canon throwing out a great deal of Gothic's history. The character development is too undercut and linear not opening up a lot of options or balance. OTHER NOTES: *Retail version does not load through Steam, which prevents the use of the Steam Overlay. X-Fire works fine however. *It handles being Alt + Tabbed. Final thoughts: Worth the time, but I would wait until the price tag goes down. Expand
  37. Jan 14, 2012
    This game it not as bad as they say but its still not among good RPG like mass effect and dragon age. When i first started this game i really loved it, the graphic was great and it ran okay on high settings for my laptop. The story was just not there and i simply played the game for the graphic and game play alone. The game is always very linear which is something i enjoy compared to openThis game it not as bad as they say but its still not among good RPG like mass effect and dragon age. When i first started this game i really loved it, the graphic was great and it ran okay on high settings for my laptop. The story was just not there and i simply played the game for the graphic and game play alone. The game is always very linear which is something i enjoy compared to open world RPG's. However the games has some performance issues for many people and the leveling and skill system is boring and it is way to easy. I only died once thorough the whole game which took me 17 hours to beat Expand
  38. Oct 26, 2017
    So in the next step I tried to enjoy it as RPG game. If game is different than
    I played this game for 16 hours because I really wanted to enjoy it.

VERDICT:
    If you're a fan of Piranha Bytes games, save yourself the disappointment.
    If you're a fan of good RPG games, there are many better games out there.

39. Oct 26, 2017
    Grâce au nouveau système d'évaluation de Steam, je peux enfin dire ce que je pense de ce jeu sans pour autant le "recommander". Vous avez aimé Gothic I, II et III ? Vous voulez jouer au IV, ou plutôt à "Arcania" ? Fuyez, pauvres fous, fuyez pendant qu'il est temps ! Même en promo, il ne vaut pas le coup, à moins de le prendre pour une petit jeu d'action en 3D.

Les combats sont ratés,

Les combats sont ratés, c'est indescriptible. Le héros principal a le charisme d'une huitre. Le doublage français est à mourir de rire. Le jeu est ennuyeux.

Bon, j'avoue, je n'ai pas réussi à le terminer. Peut-être qu'il commençait à être bien là où je l'ai arrêté.
  40. Oct 27, 2017
    Este juego no lo he podido jugar nunca, desde que lo compre habia pensado que era el windows que tenia pero ahora que cambio de version no funciona. me gustaria que me dijeran como puedo jugarlo.
  41. Oct 27, 2017
    Cóż wydaje mi się, że twórcy chcieli zrobić wszystko by ArcaniA z wyjątkiem fabuły nie miała nic wspólnego z pozostałymi Gothicami. I niestety im się to udało... Może kiedyś na siłe przejdę tą grę ale póki co bardzo mnie do tego zniechęca. Zalety produkcji to bardzo ładna grafika oraz całkiem fajna opcja przewrotu w walce. Niestety na tym się kończą.
    Produkcja ta jednak posiada bardzo
    Produkcja ta jednak posiada bardzo istotne wady:
    - brak nauczycieli/punktów nauki (jest dostępne jedynie nieco dziwaczne drzewko umiejętności)
    - nie jestem pewien czy w grze można rozwijać takie zdolności jak alchemia, kowalstwo, a nawet siła. zręczność, witalność itd.
    - niby "otwarty świat" przypominający ten z Wiedźmina 1/2 (możemy chodzić jedynie ścieżkami wyznaczonymi przez twórców, jeśli uznamy, że chcemy przejść jakimś lasem lub małym wzniesieniem nasza postać się zbuguje i prawdopodobnie zginie z nieznanego powodu)
    - wiele glitchy graficznych (najmniejszy problem, ale dość denerwujący, przykładowo kałuża zmieniająca barwy na białą lub pomarańczową za każdym poruszeniem myszy)
    Moim zdaniem "Gothic 4" ArcaniA nie jest godna polecenia.
  42. Oct 27, 2017
    This game is trash, from the horrible story line, to the horrible voice acting, to the horrible DRM

Seriously, I came back to this game after a few months to see if they had done anything to the game and I couldnt install it again because My hardware had changed and my registered copy was on another set of hardware. IE different hard drive... I've had better luck reactivating a

I've had better luck reactivating a system builder version of Windows. At least with them you call them and be like my motherboard fried had to replace it. They give you a code right away.

After playing the game I really was trying to figure out what they went to great lengths to protect. It was because their game was garbage, it didnt turn out the way they thought it was going to, and they didnt want anyone pirating it to get a free first look, because they knew they wouldnt buy it after trying it. Every review on steam has between .2 - 20 hours, with 20 hours being the outliar.

This is not a gothic game. If for some reason you played the gothic series and you are here looking at this review so long after not knowing much about this game, take it from a gothic fan, don't buy this trash.
  43. Nov 1, 2013
    I'm not impressed. Just got done playing Darksiders 2 and playing this felt like a chore in comparison. Played Torchlight and Magicka before this and they were more interesting. Never really got into Elder Scrolls and haven't played the other Gothic games, so it could just be me and my personal standards/tastes. The pace in this is too slow. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.
  44. Oct 2, 2017
    this igra viser(sh*t), a ne gothic this igra viser(sh*t), a ne gothic this igra viser(sh*t), a ne gothic this igra viser(sh*t), a ne gothic this igra viser(sh*t), a ne gothic
  45. Oct 26, 2017
    Ti serve una mela per proseguire nella missione? Bene, la mela ce l'ha tizio, ma tizio non te la da se prima non uccidi i goblin nella foresta, Vai dai goblin nella foresta, ma la caverna è chiusa da un incantesimo che può essere spezzato solo con l'aiuto della strega! Vai dalla strega per chiederle aiuto, ma costei ti manda prima a raccogliere un pacco di erbe rare. Erbe rare che troviTi serve una mela per proseguire nella missione? Bene, la mela ce l'ha tizio, ma tizio non te la da se prima non uccidi i goblin nella foresta, Vai dai goblin nella foresta, ma la caverna è chiusa da un incantesimo che può essere spezzato solo con l'aiuto della strega! Vai dalla strega per chiederle aiuto, ma costei ti manda prima a raccogliere un pacco di erbe rare. Erbe rare che trovi solo nel lontan..EBBASTA!! Queste sono gran parte delle missioni di questo titolo, morbose e stucchevoli, diluite. La grafica è a tratti emozionante per paesaggi e Art Design. il gameplay no. Un seguito piuttosto deludente rispetto ai 29,90 euro di prezzo attuale. Dopo una ventina di ore di gioco ho lasciato perdere, ho provato a godermelo andando lentamente e perlustrando tutto ma ahimè, muri invisibili. Open world? no. Solo una grande arena piena di path, di sentieri che ti conducono verso la ripetitività e monotonia della missioni. Sconsigliato e non all'altezza dei precedenti. Expand
  46. Oct 26, 2017
    Достаточно плохая игра.
    1)Боёвка:
    Достаточно плохая игра.
    1)Боёвка:
    Боёвка чуть лучше, чем в забытых богах, но всё равно сводится к закликиванию противников (об этом даже говорит сам факт того, что есть навык на бесконечное количество ударов подряд). Можно взять лук или магию и просто пятиться назад, отстреливаясь, и большая часть врагов ничего сделать не сможет против этого. Ну ладно, против врагов, которые разгоняются прямо на игрока, прекрасно работает постоянный стрейф вбок.

2)Сложность и ИИ:
    Максимальная сложность просто влияет на то, как долго придётся избивать врагов. Умного поведения у врагов не замечено. Разве что некоторые стрелки умеют решать системы линейных уравнений и стрелять с поправкой на движение, но вывести решения для таких уравнений можно за вечер. Нет смысла проходить

3)Прокачка:
    Сделана плохо, особенно перезатирание старых заклинаний новыми. Линейные шкалы навыков. Заклинания жрут всё больше маны с прокачкой.

4)Открытого мира нет:
    Игрок стартует в весьма ограниченной зоне 1 (остров), откуда можно выбраться только по квесту.
    Из ограниченной зоны 2 (до моста) игрок тоже не может выбраться, пока не пройдёт сюжетку.
    Потом открывается зона 3 (город на побережье), но игрок опять не может пройти дальше, пока не пройдёт по сюжету.
    Думаю, так и будет дальше.

5)Монстры.
    Тупые, у каждого в основном 2 атаки: обычная атака-кусака и особая атака (разгон, сильный удар, плевок и т.д.). Обычные атаки задоджить слишком просто, они в основном медлительные донельзя. Разгон контрится отходом в сторонку, сильный удар обходится перекатом вперёд или вбок, плевки обычно бесполезные, можно подбежать ко врагу и разнести его.
  47. Oct 27, 2017
    Though the story wraps up the conclusion of the three previous Gothic titles and begins a new story arc, this is not a true Gothic game. The story is very linear. The map is divided up by invisible walls, nintendo shall not pass JRPG gaurds, and barriers that require completion of story line quests. You also can't murder or kill anyone unless they are hostile combatants. Don't get meThough the story wraps up the conclusion of the three previous Gothic titles and begins a new story arc, this is not a true Gothic game. The story is very linear. The map is divided up by invisible walls, nintendo shall not pass JRPG gaurds, and barriers that require completion of story line quests. You also can't murder or kill anyone unless they are hostile combatants. Don't get me started on the leveling system, it sucks and isn't anything like the Gothic games. Combat is super easy and repetative, roll, combo, roll, combo, win. Story is predictable in the beginning and so far not very interesting. I played through the first few areas, got passed the Silverlake Orcs, and I got fed up with the game when I got to Blackwater. The hero is a push over and does everything he is told in order to progress the story. For someone who is seeking vengeance, he sure is a ♥♥♥♥♥ cat when it comes to being told, "no you can't pass into this area until you do 10 menial quests". That alone irkes me, as I hate being forced into a crappy linear story. Uninstalling. Expand
  48. Oct 27, 2017
    This is one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. I was looking forward to this as a Gothic fan (on it's release it was called ArcaniA: Gothic IV or ArcaniA a gothic tale because it was supposed to be the next gothic game). It's supposed to be an open world RPG but it's more like a liniar bad hack n' slash game with level progression. basicly this is what the game is: after youThis is one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. I was looking forward to this as a Gothic fan (on it's release it was called ArcaniA: Gothic IV or ArcaniA a gothic tale because it was supposed to be the next gothic game). It's supposed to be an open world RPG but it's more like a liniar bad hack n' slash game with level progression. basicly this is what the game is: after you finish the intro (which is the only fun part of the game) you get to a tiny part of the island, you do a part of the main quest and you unlock another tiny part of the island where you can do another part of the main quest and you unlock another tiny part of the island and so on untill the final battle. And than it's game over, no more exploring for no reason at all. the main quest is boring, there are only a few side quests which are even worse than the main quest. characters are boring and not memoreble at all, even the characters from Gothic 1, 2, and 3 and exploring is rarely rewarding, not that there is much to explore as most of the remotely interesting sites are used for the main quest. if you played the demo and liked it keep it that way the demo covers by far the best part of the game.

ArcaniA a gothic fail scores a 0/10
  49. Oct 27, 2017
    Gra niestety jest bardzo słaba w porównaniu z innymi Gothic'ami - nawet z częścią 3. Plusów nie widzę. Postacie które spotykałem w poprzednich odsłonach nie umilają gry. Dlaczego? Bo twórcy niemalże popsuli każdy charakter... Nawet bałem się podejść do znanej twarzy, ponieważ nie chciałem wiedzieć jak ją zbezcześcili.
    Reszty minusów nie będę wymieniać bo gra ta to jeden wielki minus.
    Reszty minusów nie będę wymieniać bo gra ta to jeden wielki minus.
  50. Jan 10, 2011
    This game is not terrible but not good as well. It has it flaws. I my experience as gamer I played alot of great RPG's. I can assure you, this is not one of them.
    -First off all the graphics are OK not the best I have seen but just OK: 6/10 *
    -First off all the graphics are OK not the best I have seen but just OK: 6/10 *
    -The story is a bit flat: it's just one big revenge plot + the character is one big jerk. So I don't feel any sympathy for the main character. The people in this game all look the same. This is unacceptable and annoying sometimes.: 4/10*
    -The combat system is fun and you have alot of weapons to choose from but only for the fighter class. The mage only got 3 spells and that's it. The ranger is even more boring to play with. It would have been more fun r to play with another class who has a wide variety of weapons. The armours are OK and easy to pick from: 6/10*
    - I like the crafting system alot. It gives more freedom to the game and you really want to use it for the great bonuses it gives. Although it is nice, it also is forgettable once you crafted a very good weapon you will not use it again (unless for food): 6/10
    - And the last point i want to discus is the open world. First off all let me get this straight: people who like games with fast travel (like oblivion) or teleport spells (like risen) that can get you everywhere will not like the transport system in this game. Most of the time you are walking around and sometimes you find a teleporter but it's only between 2 locations. It won't teleport you to everywhere so this fast travel service is very limited.
    After a while it gets very tedious and boring because if u want to go back you have to go all the way back on foot (and sometimes you can use a teleporter but the loading screens, while teleporting, takes way to long to load so your are best of walking). This (for me) kills the game a bit.: 2/10*
    - A positive thing: I didn't encounter any glitches or any major bugs while playing this game. +1 to score*
    total score:
    = 25/50 = 5/10
  51. Sep 9, 2013
    I played through the whole game and did all the side quests. The game is not so bad that it is unplayable or completely no fun. If you have low expectations than you'll have fun. However the game has a lot of problems.

There are a lot of bugs. There are serious problems with graphical glitches. Small glitches with placement of usable objects in the game, combat, moving, enemies, etc. The game feels like a beta. Either the game was rushed or the developers were lazy. Gothic 3 was a buggy unplayable mess and this game is better, but still a buggy unimaginative mess. I was at the final boss; just won and the game glitches to a black screen. I was pissed! But I saved a lot and it was okay, but still that should not happen.

The English voice translation dialogue is awful and rather funny at times.

The combat is very simplistic and enemies are not a challenge. You will die from game design and character movement glitches not from enemies being difficult. Although, the combat can be fun sometimes.

The game very linear (which I liked, but some people may not). There are a few player choices for some quests, but they all lead to the same thing.

To sum the entire game up its fetch this and/or kill this and some pointless dialogue with the illusion of choice.
  52. Oct 27, 2017
    Kein guter nachfolger zu den alten Gothic teilen.
    Ist auch nicht anders zu erwarten von anderen entwiklern
    Wem mann ein Hardcore gothic fan ist sollte man sich das spiel echt nicht geben !
  53. Oct 27, 2017
    Ich empfehle dieses Spiel grundsätzlich nicht, da es absolut linear, langweilig und überhaupt nicht "Gothic" ist. Klar, hier sagen einige, das die Macher nichts mit Gothic zu tun haben. Trotzdem hat man durch den Erfolg von Gothic an dieses Spiel angeknüpft, ich erinnere hier an den Schurken Diego, der jeder Gothic-Fan kennt.
    Es ist traurig, dass wir in einer zu kommerziellen Welt leben,
    Es ist traurig, dass wir in einer zu kommerziellen Welt leben, in dem jeder Produzent so schnell wie möglich zu schnellem Geld kommen will. Man knüpft an Erfolge(gilt allgemein, nicht nur für Spiele) an, und versaut Sinn, Story und Ethik...es ist beschämend...
  54. Oct 27, 2017

Les combats sont ratés,

55. Oct 30, 2017
    Главный герой. Безымянный вновь. Но совершенно иной. Пастух с Фешира. Пастух, который родился и жил всю жизнь на острове и не умеющий плавать. Странно, что не научился за все это время. Теряет родных. Пытается мстить. Становится избранным. Побеждает зло. Все это в стиле тупого рубилова-мочилова, разбавленного никому ненужными побочными заданиями, плюс насильно навязываемыми добровольнымиГлавный герой. Безымянный вновь. Но совершенно иной. Пастух с Фешира. Пастух, который родился и жил всю жизнь на острове и не умеющий плавать. Странно, что не научился за все это время. Теряет родных. Пытается мстить. Становится избранным. Побеждает зло. Все это в стиле тупого рубилова-мочилова, разбавленного никому ненужными побочными заданиями, плюс насильно навязываемыми добровольными сборами частичек реликвий и прочего ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥еца.
    Аддон к третьей части Готики меня не порадовал, но он хотя бы был выдержан более менее в стилистике прошлых частей.
    Здесь же перед нами предстает труп серии, оконсолившийся донельзя. Заказуалилось и законсолилось все то, что вообще можно было законсолить и упростить.
    Идиотский косматый лохмудяй - главный герой, без частички харизмы. По сравнению с усатым безымянным оригинальных Готик он и рядом не стоит. Абсолютно даунятский сюжет, который хоронит все наработки предыдущих частей. Какие-то новые божества, войны между крылатыми демонами и их антиподами-добряками. Все это накрученно на систему баланса зла и добра, куда неумело впихнута история мести главного героя - пастуха. Это не♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ Это♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥а!
    На одной графике игру не вывезешь. Причем оптимизирован движок из рук вон плохо. Это убожество тормозит и фризится порой на минималках. Хотя игра то довольно таки давно уже вышла.
    Сюжет - идиотский. Играется через силу. Развилок в сюжете три с половиной раза, да и то несущественно. Игра линейна, как рельсы. То же касается и локаций. Никакого открытого мира здесь нет. Просто расширения из одной клоаки, ведущие в другую. Система порталов между ними невменяема чуть более, чем полностью. Можно только из места в места близлежащее прыг-скок, а вот куда-то за две три локации вернутся - хрен вам. Да оно и не нужно, ведь бывать там, где мы уже были, не понадобится. Города пестрят невидимыми стенами. Герой не способен перепрыгнуть через мелкий заборчик, потому что там стена. Если же вы в мелкий водоемчик сиганете с уступчика невысокого - это смерть. Неизвестно, что мешает герою выжить. Прыгнули с горы в воду - смерть. Смерть везде, кроме линейных корридоров. Разрабы как бы говорят нам, идите по проторенным дорожкам и не выкаблучивайтесь. Чтобы пройти из зоны в зону обязательно надо линейно выполнить какое-то условие, насильно притянутое за уши.
  56. Oct 24, 2010
    A simple RPG wth no real complexity. Best enjoyed keeping in mind it's not going to break any new ground but pleases with it's light and frothy RPG elements. Enjoy the impressive visuals and immerse yourself in the scenery.
  57. Nov 4, 2010
    "Let me past!" demands my super-warrior, crackling with magical WMDs and carrying more sharp things than a porcupine. "Not until you've fetched six mushrooms from that goblin-infested cave in the south," replies the bald man with the goatee (who seems intent on barring my way wherever I go). "Oh, all right then," I say. (Five minutes of hacking goblins later...) "Here's your mushrooms. Now"Let me past!" demands my super-warrior, crackling with magical WMDs and carrying more sharp things than a porcupine. "Not until you've fetched six mushrooms from that goblin-infested cave in the south," replies the bald man with the goatee (who seems intent on barring my way wherever I go). "Oh, all right then," I say. (Five minutes of hacking goblins later...) "Here's your mushrooms. Now will you let me past?" "Not until you've found a hat I dropped in that orc-infested cave in the north." "Oh, all right then,"... And so on. This is ArcaniA - a beautiful-looking game with absolutely no intelligence. The world is populated with clones who completely ignore you (unless you're supposed to talk to them) and are even oblivious to battles raging around and through them! Enemies chase you to the edge of their range then return to their posts making battles a simple matter of picking them off one-by-one because if things get tough you can always move out of their area. To compensate for poor AI, enemies nearly always appear in groups - and you don't meet more challenging baddies as the game goes on, just bigger gangs! But that's okay, peppering enemies with an almost unlimited supply of arrows and hacking furiously is quite fun - at least it makes some kind of sense. But there are so many elements of the game that are just plain daft. Why does every goblin carry precisely 13 pieces of gold (or whatever)? Why does no one care if I loot their home right in front of them? Why can I carry dozens (or hundreds) of weapons? (Have you ever tried to lift just one warhammer?) Why can I eat 20 sour apples in the middle of a fight without getting stomach ache? But having said all that, I've enjoyed playing ArcaniA and I think it was 30 quid well spent. The graphics are excellent and the weather effects are amazing - and the frequent rain and storms help take your mind off the dire AI. I just find it frustrating that nearly five years after Oblivion showed how to make a fantasy RPG it's only the prettiness that's moved on. Expand
  58. Sep 3, 2011
    I had avoided the game for all the bad review he got so when i finally decided that i would give it a try anyway i was really surprised to find an action rpg that delivers.
    Sure it's not gothic as we used to play, but graphics are awesome and fights are more dynamics, even if you have to crank up the difficulty.
    I appreciated the loot system too, even if i wish we could equip some more, i
    I appreciated the loot system too, even if i wish we could equip some more, i dont really care for the realism when my backpack is full with weapons or plants or whatever :)
    Sure the story is far from the best, many npcs looks like they came from an army of clones, but that didn't keep me to enjoy the game.
    So i'd say, if you hare a die hard gothic fan and wont enjoy anything else who wear that name, the game is not for you. But if you are open mind and loolking for a fun action rpg, you should give it a try.
  59. Apr 12, 2011
    This game is a very mixed game. The combat is fun and easy to get used to, the storyline of the quests is interesting and has some depth, and the graphics are gorgeous. Also the game helps the player along subtly, instead of making the game linear by placing a massive arrow pointing to the objective, it gives you realistic written directions relative to the game But, there are very littleThis game is a very mixed game. The combat is fun and easy to get used to, the storyline of the quests is interesting and has some depth, and the graphics are gorgeous. Also the game helps the player along subtly, instead of making the game linear by placing a massive arrow pointing to the objective, it gives you realistic written directions relative to the game But, there are very little ways to customize your character, who is absolutely one dimensional and predictable. The voice-overs aren't great as one character will often mix between north-american and British accents. Furthermore the lip sync is honestly the worst i have ever seen, its abyssal, it actually put me off the game for a while. Ultimately, this game is worth a full play through, as the story and combat are convincing and absorbing enough to allow you to ignore the negatives. Expand
  60. Dec 26, 2011
    As I am one to enjoy RPGs, i thoroughly enjoy the way Arcania is setup. The fighting is fun and fluid, it has the normal weapon types (one-hand weapons, two-hand weapons, bow & arrow, and magic) for you to play with; the problem with the fighting is you're usually being over-powered by a "boss" in the game, as in you'll most likely be running away and attacking from afar rather thanAs I am one to enjoy RPGs, i thoroughly enjoy the way Arcania is setup. The fighting is fun and fluid, it has the normal weapon types (one-hand weapons, two-hand weapons, bow & arrow, and magic) for you to play with; the problem with the fighting is you're usually being over-powered by a "boss" in the game, as in you'll most likely be running away and attacking from afar rather than up-close-and-personal against said "boss." I definitely like the idea of the game not hand-feeding you the quests and telling you exactly where they are (as in an arrow pointing you in the direction), but at the same time, the quest directions are often vague and at times confusing. They'll generally say it's a direction of the compass from a certain area (ex: North of ... Forest), without good landmarks to base decent judgement. The game has, as always in the series, a lot of alchemy-based potions and what not to create, which has a large quantity, from mushrooms, to plants, to creature's parts. They have a simplistic level-up skill tree, but it still largely plays into how you play your character-- so although it's simplistic, it works. The voice-acting isn't the best, but if you get over the fact that it's not going to meet today's best standards, you can still end up enjoying the voice-acting because the character does often show emotions, a lot of the time is comedic because he's dumbstruck by what another character said. The game has a lineage to follow of fun games, and I personally believe it does, even without Piranha Bytes making it. I RECOMMEND this game to those who love RPG games, and do not mind having to look into quests to find out where you go. I do NOT RECOMMEND this game if you like being held by the hand and lead to where you're suppose to go. The game definitely does not deserve the ratings it has. Expand
  61. Oct 26, 2017
    Da fan della serie Gothic devo dire che Arcania è davvero misero in confronto. Il gioco è pesante e lagga soprattutto sulla grafica, bella e dettagliata ma con pixel che sfarfallano che nemmeno gothic 2. C'è poca possibilità di avventura. I percorsi sono fissi, una monorotaia che impedisce l'esplorazione del mondo ( grotte e porte chiuse ovunque!!!).
    Nelle serie gothic mi sono sempre
    Nelle serie gothic mi sono sempre buttato sulla magia ma qui c'è poco divertimento in quanto si può solo attaccare con ghiaccio, fuco o fulmini. Niente evocazioni, niente guarigione, solo attacco.
    E' uno di quei giochi che non appassiona e viene da andare avanti giusto per completezza.
    Ripeto: è pesante!! Mi tocca giocare un max di 20 min e poi fare una pausa perché mi frigge il pc, roba che nemmeno Skyrim remastered.
  62. Oct 26, 2017
    Слишком нудно
    По началу вродебы норм и ты играеш и играешь осозновая что игра становится однообразной и неинтересной
  63. Oct 26, 2017
    Худшая часть часть серии Gothic, да и вообще просто ужасная RPG игра.
    + Красивая графика, это пожалуй единственный плюс игры. Визуальная составляющая игры для 2010 года весьма впечатляющая, очень радует работа художников по 3D моделям, природа выполнена на высшем уровне, иногда можно просто отвлечься и пройтись по местным локациям.
    - Совершенно неудачная боевая система, которая состоит
    Худшая часть часть серии Gothic, да и вообще просто ужасная RPG игра.
    - Совершенно неудачная боевая система, которая состоит из двух типов удара, и перекатов.
    - Отсутствие баланса, даже на лёгком уровне сложности взяв самое мощное оружие среднему мобу придётся нанести 6-7 ударов, а это ну очень надоедает уже через час игры, от постоянного закликивания будет болеть палец.
    - Скучная прокачка, она скучная, ХР дают мало. Просто нудятина.
    - Открытый мир тут фикция, есть большой коридор с утолщениями, в которых и будет происходить те или иные сюжетные квесты, и пока ты не пройдешь там все, прохода в следующее утолщение не будет.
    - Художники похоже просто забыли сделать нормальное количество лиц для НПЦ, их от силы 10, и будут они встречаться на протяжении всей игры, то и дело вспоминаешь, "а вот этого болванчика я уже видел".
    - Диалоги, встраиваются такие, что создаётся ощущение что их писал пятиклассник.
    - Дополнительные квесты, иди найди того 10 штук, иди убей того, иди зачисти пещеру, иди найди потеряную безделушку, скучно и одннообразно, такие квесто прокатят разве что MMORPG.
    С трудом верится что Spellbound могла сделать такую вот "игру". Игра полный провал, и одна из причин банкротства издателя JoWooD Entertainment. Наверное худшая игра 2010 года. 2,5/10.
  64. Oct 26, 2017
    I have played all the Gothic games in the series.

The first and the second are epic.
    The third is ok.
    But this "ArcaniA - Gothic" is......

The game has nice graphics, and some ok gameplay.
    But the gothic games are story focused, and this is the problem.
    I have finished the game in 12h with all side-quest's.
    No content, no depth, no Gothic.
  65. Oct 27, 2017
  66. Oct 27, 2017
    Der Beweis, dass Gothic ohne Piranha Bytes nicht mehr funktionierte. Abgesehen von der schlechten Story und dem noch schlechteren Kampfsystem sind schon die Dialoge stumpf schwach und es fehlt einfach dieser Ruhrpott Humor von den Jungs der gefährlichen Fische. Schade eigentlich, aber zum Glück kam ja Piranha Bytes mit Risen und hat dem Game hier gezeigt, wie eine Fortsetzung auszusehenDer Beweis, dass Gothic ohne Piranha Bytes nicht mehr funktionierte. Abgesehen von der schlechten Story und dem noch schlechteren Kampfsystem sind schon die Dialoge stumpf schwach und es fehlt einfach dieser Ruhrpott Humor von den Jungs der gefährlichen Fische. Schade eigentlich, aber zum Glück kam ja Piranha Bytes mit Risen und hat dem Game hier gezeigt, wie eine Fortsetzung auszusehen hat!

Wäre es nur ArcaniA gewesen ohne das Gothic 4, würde hier alle wohl anders werten, aber so ist es nunmal nicht!
  67. Jan 17, 2011
    Ok, where to start... bought the game and well, disappointing is the first word that comes to mind. It feels unfinished, almost rushed. The ingredients of a great game are there, but it just doesn't deliver on any level as an RPG should. Combat is a basic hack n slash with some archery and spells thrown in, the story is weak and hardly immersing at best and the graphics and visuals areOk, where to start... bought the game and well, disappointing is the first word that comes to mind. It feels unfinished, almost rushed. The ingredients of a great game are there, but it just doesn't deliver on any level as an RPG should. Combat is a basic hack n slash with some archery and spells thrown in, the story is weak and hardly immersing at best and the graphics and visuals are filled with jaggies and shadow stutters. This isn't the worst part. When playing an RPG, immersion can outweigh weak visuals and combat... but the story along with the terrible voice acting and horrid facial expressions while talking take immersion and throw it in the garbage. The only thing that i can give to Gothic 4 is the art direction, which is let down by the game itself. If you're looking for an RPG to relieve the cravings, Gothic 4 just doesn't cut it. Expand
  68. Dec 5, 2011
    I am really sad on Piranha Bytes behalf when seeing how this game takes the Gothic name and stomps it into the mud. This game is proof that Jowood did not care about the Gothic series and what PB built up. Arcania is a awful attempt on being anything remotely similar to Gothic, and as a general rpg game it is really just bad on all levels. Graphics is ok, but something is justI am really sad on Piranha Bytes behalf when seeing how this game takes the Gothic name and stomps it into the mud. This game is proof that Jowood did not care about the Gothic series and what PB built up. Arcania is a awful attempt on being anything remotely similar to Gothic, and as a general rpg game it is really just bad on all levels. Graphics is ok, but something is just plain wrong about how everything looks. Be it the movement of vegetation or the waves in the sea. The shadows cast on the ground as the sun crosses over head during the day moves in large steps. It looks very strange. Sometimes during game play I got sick because the trees moved way too much, also in a very strange way. The game world itself is extremely linear and not much passion and imagination seems to have been in use when crafting it. Not all is bad with it though, but most could have been more exciting. The character you control has an incredible ability to get stuck on 2 cm high stuff everywhere. It takes away from the immersion many times. Dialog is obviously written to cater to 10 to 12 year olds and is voice acted by unsuspecting random people pulled of the street I suspect. It is the worst acting I have EVER heard in a game and there are many bad ones out there. The main storyline is weak. The side quests are all very silly. Combat is just hacking away with a weapon in the same way thousands of thousands of times. No change whatsoever. Loot is just rubbish and everything you can pick up in the gameworld is highlighted and has hovering insects etc above them. Wow, finding stuff in the game is very rewarding! Building the character is as appealing as the personality of the emo shepherd you control. Yes, an EMO SHEPHERD BOY is the hero in GOTHIC 4! How disturbingly wrong is that. The teleporters in the game only works in pairs, so you can not go to any teleporter you want, but to the one the one you use is linked with. Absolutely useless and quite shocking tbh. Also some of the teleporter are so close to each other that running the distance is faster than the loading times when using the teleport. This is game making at high level here! The lockpicking minigame on chests are absolutely pointless and stupid. The worst I have seen in any game. That something that stupid can make it in to a game in 2010 is proof that the developers had no idea what they were doing. There are many more awful things in this game but I get depressed just writing about it. Oh, how I miss the excitement I felt when playing the first 3 Gothic games for the first time. Playing Gothic 4 just makes me feel sad, annoyed and most of all I feel insulted. How stupid do the developer and Jowood think the gamers are? Good thing Piranha Bytes are still making games! Expand
  69. Dec 6, 2011
    The only thing in this game that's not bad are the visuals, but that is hardly enough to save this stinking pile of cr**. Avoid at all cost! 1 point for the visuals. None for the rest.
  70. Mar 18, 2011
    Gothic 4 is a good solid game and if released say 3-4 years ago would make headlines, but unfortunately it has been released now, and with an outdated engine and fightings system it just fails in comparison to the elite's. although there is a good solid story here so i give Arcania a 7
  71. Mar 24, 2011
    Arcania is not a bad game. It's quite solid. Nice graphics, solid RPG elements, nice animations, combat is ok although too easy. Overall it's... solid. Not disastrous but nothing spectacular either. The main problem with Arcania is that it's supposed to be Gothic but feels nothing like it. As a fan of the first two Gothic games, from the first steps in the game I realized this isn'tArcania is not a bad game. It's quite solid. Nice graphics, solid RPG elements, nice animations, combat is ok although too easy. Overall it's... solid. Not disastrous but nothing spectacular either. The main problem with Arcania is that it's supposed to be Gothic but feels nothing like it. As a fan of the first two Gothic games, from the first steps in the game I realized this isn't Gothic. The fun dialogs are gone, the feeling is gone, the goofiness that was apparent in the Gothic series is gone. Basically all that made Gothic so great is gone. Summation: fans of the Gothic series.. .don't expect anything. I actually recommend avoiding it. First timers in the Gothic world, feel free to have a play, but if you want the REAL Gothic go for the first and second part. Expand
  72. Jan 21, 2012
    very good action rpg. Visuals are great (except too much npc clones). The combat system is very dynamic. Only bad points, too much linear and too much invisible walls everywhere, french voice recording is horrible.
  73. Jan 21, 2012
    One of the most beautiful action rpg (nicer than the xbox version). The combat system is dynamic, environment, vegetation and characters are beautiful.bad points : too linear, too much aliasing, crap cinematics.
  74. Apr 22, 2012
    Far into the game as I write this. Eventually the desire to continue wanes when immersion is broken due to the callousness to which this RPG as been constructed. Speaking directly to Spellbound Entertainment, I really couldn't care less what your budget is and I don't care about the perilous finances of your now bankrupt publisher. When you undertake a project like this and dress itFar into the game as I write this. Eventually the desire to continue wanes when immersion is broken due to the callousness to which this RPG as been constructed. Speaking directly to Spellbound Entertainment, I really couldn't care less what your budget is and I don't care about the perilous finances of your now bankrupt publisher. When you undertake a project like this and dress it with the same repeating carbon copy npc's then you have no right to undertake such a project. It's a crime against the art of game development and shows no respect for your audience. I really want to continue. I like what's here despite the meaningless "RPG elements" and the damn crafting icon staring at me the entire play through. Go watch a movie with the same character playing 20 different roles each dubbed with a different voice. At this point in the game's narrative I should be fully immersed in the world of Arcania but you Spellbound Entertainment have completely retarded my immersion. I'm walking out of the theater now. There weren't that many here to start. Something about the title and the game not living up to it's legacy. The naysayers were right and I a fool for not listening. Expand
  75. Apr 29, 2012
    As a fan of Gothic 3 I was very dissapointed with this game, it`s just not good. I do not have much more than that to say about it. Do not buy this game unless you get it almost for free. I`m not the one who likes to say I`ve wasted my money, but I surely did when I bought this game for 50 euros. I gave it a 5 out of 10 because I did somewhat enjoy it, but at a minimal. It is also shortAs a fan of Gothic 3 I was very dissapointed with this game, it`s just not good. I do not have much more than that to say about it. Do not buy this game unless you get it almost for free. I`m not the one who likes to say I`ve wasted my money, but I surely did when I bought this game for 50 euros. I gave it a 5 out of 10 because I did somewhat enjoy it, but at a minimal. It is also short and nothing like gothic at all! Expand
  76. May 4, 2013
    Well, I don't really see where some of these bad reviews come from. I'll admit I'm only 16 hours into this game, However, I've been thoroughly enjoying this game. Visually, It's quite fun to look at it, Extremely beautiful. However there's a lot of reused sprites, and voices which can be a flaw to some (It is slightly annoying, but not a minus for me) I actually enjoy the story so far, IWell, I don't really see where some of these bad reviews come from. I'll admit I'm only 16 hours into this game, However, I've been thoroughly enjoying this game. Visually, It's quite fun to look at it, Extremely beautiful. However there's a lot of reused sprites, and voices which can be a flaw to some (It is slightly annoying, but not a minus for me) I actually enjoy the story so far, I think the combat is alright with really three main ways of playing, Mage, Melee weapon or Bows/Crossbows. There's a lot of crafting you can do(Like making weapons) and a bit of alchemy to do(Like making your own potions, These potions vary from adding to your health regen to increasing your overall stats temporarily)

I will say this though, This game is a bit buggy. You can get stuck in poorly rendered areas or just jumping where you aren't suppose to go, The cut-scenes will make you crash from time to time as well, However you can easily watch the cut scenes from within the Arcania folder if you do crash and just skip them in game. Does this make the game unplayable? For me, No it doesn't. It can be annoying to crash during a cutscene and have to rewatch it again, But it's no big deal for the most part.

I'll also say this, I had a lot more problems running this game off an FX-8150 CPU than I do with my current i7 3770k(Graphics card is a 7970 for those wondering), Whether this game doesn't like AMD or something along those lines I can't say for sure, But my system isn't a slouch by any means. I feel like this game might run better on older systems then newer systems, For instance my laptop running an old first gen i7 at 1.73GHz and a 1GB ATI card(I think 5850) seems to run it without any cut scene errors or crashes.

But in the end, I really do enjoy this game, The main story keeps me interested, I feel the combat is alright for the style of game that it is, and despite some minor things here and there, I would recommend this game when it's on sale. I personally feel it's worth it's $20 price tag that it wears now. If you see it on sale and you read the reviews and thought "Well, Now I'm not too sure..." I would take the chance to try it out. I can't vouch for the other games in the series as I've never played them, But please, Give this one a chance!

Edit: I've now completed the game with 26 hours played, I'm definitely going to be playing through it one more time, And possibly might buy the DLC as well. I took my time for the most part playing through this and had all but one quest finished(finding 30 belier artifacts), So I'll assume you can get around 25 30 hours on average for this game's full completion. The ending was a tad disappointing in terms of the fight, However I feel the story was still enjoyable despite this. Combined with the great visuals, and a decent combat system, I think this game was well worth picking up if you enjoy RPGs. There is quite a bit of walking, Like most RPGs but it never once bothered me.

There is a huge amount of potions you can create, A handful of decent weapons, and a couple decent armors. The best items you can craft obviously don't come till later on in the game. The weapons you can make don't come until you're about half way 3/4ths of the way done with the game, When you're able to create Steel Ingots. Some boss fights are underwhelming, Especially when you play the game at normal difficulty or lower, Some bosses will drop some decent weapons however. I strongly recommend following the "Kill everything you see" tactic, Unless you run into mobs that you have difficulty taking down, As each mob will drop a certain item that is special to it. That's it for what I have to say, Enjoy!
  77. Jul 10, 2013
    Long time passed and i see critics are dumb as donkeys, who is thay, critics, no way...
    This game ruined Gothic series, we need people who could say to Jowood that you suck, bring us back pirhania crew, and dont dare to tell me that Gothic 3 was bad, you all are blind....
  78. Aug 16, 2014
    I have seen tons of people bashing this game for its wacky combat, boring quests or other features that didn't stay high enough for their expectations. Arcania Gothic 4 was my first RPG game and it is the game that introduced me to the whole RPG-like scenery. Yes, it is extremely cliche'd from western fantasy stories and other similar stuff. Yes, it doesn't deliver a real "Gothic" vibe andI have seen tons of people bashing this game for its wacky combat, boring quests or other features that didn't stay high enough for their expectations. Arcania Gothic 4 was my first RPG game and it is the game that introduced me to the whole RPG-like scenery. Yes, it is extremely cliche'd from western fantasy stories and other similar stuff. Yes, it doesn't deliver a real "Gothic" vibe and probably shouldn't be called a real Gothic series successor, but it is not an awful game, and if you don't care that it is not like Gothic 3 or blah blah blah - then you could actually enjoy it. I bought this game roughly 2 months after its initial release and I haven't play other Gothic games back then. Now, I have spend ~50 hours in Gothic 3 and played Gothic 2, so my review will try to stay away from the whole "not-worth-of-the-title" rant:

1. Graphics: when put on the highest settings, they are truly exciting, even now. The most impressive detail back then were dynamic trees that moved and their shadows. It was something that could be experienced in just a few games (namingly, Crysis 1) back then.

2. Combat/gameplay: As almost everyone has stated, together with the repetitive quests, combat was a huge disappointment for me. It seems like I'm slashing a zephyr with a cardboard sword, ughh...

Walking is pretty fluid, but could be done less annoyingly because after 30 hours of gameplay it starts to get reaally annoying to hear the same walking sound again.

3. Environment: Areas are fluid, but you can't go back to a previous zone after entering another one when following main storyline. This is extremely bad because when being in late zones, you desperately need consumables, maybe a change of equipment but you just can't, because your current zone doesn't have any towns/villages/cities where there may be vendors.

The most enjoyable part of the game was the music, it is so good that I downloaded the soundtrack after playing for just a few hours. Otherwise, the game is good for players who are wishing a generic, but O.K RPG.
  79. Oct 19, 2010
    At first I didn't think this was worth playing but kept at it for a few and this game has a lot to offer. Great fighting dynamics. Visuals are amazing and great detail where it matters most.
  80. Oct 24, 2010
    Bad game. Too much linear game I've never seen. We are kids or what, that everywhere must be only one way to complete quest? Also there is very low story. Biggest fail is graphic. Shadows and movement of trees... sorry but I must laugh... Vsync and antialiasing is missing so my eyes are hurted from that chewed edges. Fight system is also fail... just poor Hack & Slash. Sorry 3/10
  81. Oct 27, 2010
    5/10 - Pretty sucky. Graphically, its very nice. But with all the work that was put into making it look nice, and feel like a solid RPG...why couldn't more time have been spent on creating good dialog? What point was there using the "choose your answer" dialog techinque when 90 percent of the time there was still just one way to go? The conversation was ridiculous in places, and mostly5/10 - Pretty sucky. Graphically, its very nice. But with all the work that was put into making it look nice, and feel like a solid RPG...why couldn't more time have been spent on creating good dialog? What point was there using the "choose your answer" dialog techinque when 90 percent of the time there was still just one way to go? The conversation was ridiculous in places, and mostly uninformative since there weren't many side-quests, and none related to the main story (which was a confused tale of revenge gone boring). Very unlike the "free roaming walk around" game it was supposedly going to be. I feel like they tried to have it both ways, and ended up creating a game that is basically linear but is wearing a "go anywhere" disguise. The disguise doesn't hold up though, because there are clear barriers to every new area you encounter. As you progress through the game you can see on the map how they are divided up. It's certainly not the Oblivion style experience it was billed as. Also...way to get lazy about terrain, guys. There are dozens of places in each zone that appear to be accessable to your character, but are not. For example, there are lots of low laying rocks along the edge of a 'zone', and beyond them is more grass or water (which if you even get so much as waist high in, you die like you've been sunk in a vat of acid - stupid!). These superficial barriers keep you in, while tantalizing you with the illusion of a bigger world. When you try to jump over the rocks that should be a simple 'hop up and off you go', you find yourself sliding sideways on nothing, keeping you safely in the current zone. It's super disenchanting and another reason why the game feels so linear. There are many other issues with terrain that I could point out, but you get the point. Shoddy work, on such a beautiful canvas. Another thing that marred this game are that so many of the little details are left unpolished - here I'm thinking of how many times I've missed whacking an enemy because you can just walk straight through them while attacking, ending up behind them, facing the wrong way. This happens to me often while playing. I hate it, a lot. Also, the "Sneak" skill... Wow. What a waste. You can already steal absolutely everything in the game with no consequences (NPCs are hardly interactive at all in this game), and the only other reason to use it would be to sneak up on enemies. However, that flies out the window since there is no benefit to doing that. No bonus damage for a sneak attack or anything of that sort. Total crap! So, if you don't mind having it rain on you while you're indoors, sliding across rocks like you're riding a hot butter knife surf board, or missing your enemy half the time if you choose melee fighting - this game might be for you. I give it a 5, because its totally not worth 50 bucks. It's a throwaway game in my opinion...good for a few minutes of distraction, since that's probably about how long it'll take you to finish it. Expand
  82. Oct 27, 2010
    I DL the demo on Steam. This is one of those games I'll wait until it gets aroun $20 to pick up. Which would be probably about 2 or 3 months. Like it seems everybody else is saying, the voice acting is bad and the mouth movements to the words are worse. Plus the story line seems to be TOO linear for the tastes that circulate presently.
  83. Nov 9, 2010
    Terrible terrible game.

The dialogues are childish, the combat is just simple button mashing and the best words to describe the game world are limited, linear, restricted and boring. I am extremely disappointed with this title. It's far worse than even Gothic 3. The Gothic series is dead. Long live Gothic.
  84. Nov 12, 2010
    If you are a fan of the best RPG series ever (Gothic) then you will be disappointed. If you are a fan of RPG's in general you will be disappointed. With all the hype on their website for so many months we all had high expectations, and reasonably so.

The graphics are great, sound great, it's a pretty game. The melee fighting is improved a bit over the older Gothics. It's an OK hack and slash semi adventure game although very short. The skill/character development system is basic, a huge step backward. NPC and environment interaction is basic, a huge step backward. Monsters are way too easy to manage and kill, AI is basic, a huge step backward.

"Maybe" a couple big patches and more content added down the road and the game will be more like Gothic and might even be a decent game in general. It will still be lipstick on a pig though, the basics just aren't there, the developers mentality is all wrong.

Anyone who gives this game a good rating is either:
    1) Sandbagging the ratings system
    2) Knows nothing about the Gothic series
    3) Knows almost nothing about RPG's
    4) Is a twelve year old with their first really swell console and is soo excited.

Gothic fans, go to direct2drive or Steam and reinstall the good old Gothic2 with Night of the Raven all integrated in. That will be much more enjoyable. Then reinstall Gothic 3 with all the latest patches, still a good time. Maybe run through Risen one more time, keep that "Forsaken Gods" piece of garbage in the trash.

Very disappointed in this chapter of the Gothic series.
  85. Nov 14, 2010
    Very disappointed in this game after playing the first 3 Gothic games. The fighting system was a lot of fun and the graphics were amazing but the story line was completely predictable, way too short and not anything like the previous games. Really regret buying this game. A lot like Risen if anyone has played that, but with even less ability to choose your own way you want to go. If youVery disappointed in this game after playing the first 3 Gothic games. The fighting system was a lot of fun and the graphics were amazing but the story line was completely predictable, way too short and not anything like the previous games. Really regret buying this game. A lot like Risen if anyone has played that, but with even less ability to choose your own way you want to go. If you liked the previous Gothic games then you should expect about 1/3 as much fun and you won't be disappointed. If you are like me and expect a good game you will just get angry so save the money and don't buy it. Expand
  86. Dec 20, 2010
    For me,the game is good,runnin so smmth good graphic,but these who said that is bad,and graphic is bad i wonder what graphic card they got in case,some trash i think...with good gaming pc theres no antialising edges and nothing so haters buy a good pc or card and write reviews...peace dogs
  87. Feb 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. you dim witted shyt gothic 4, as reviews or whatever you promise before that there will be no bugs in the game, but the darn problem is the map have bugs withs is annoying as its location are between reaching leagendary forge entrance and the vocano area when you jump down from it and will speak with a monk and now i am trap there and the teleportal i tried only teleport me among that 2 teleporting place that is the colonies(outside a castle gate) and the outter jungle with is just after the vocano zone......suck game....promise that there will be no more bug and its a dumb ars map bug!!!!!!!
    so in conclusion i forever stuck there as i just want to unlock the so called innos power and stuff and thats how i ended up trap in that...place which makes me feel the main character is stupid as he just can't climb, or swim or whatever you call it as even his jumping is not high enough to get me out that that trap area..........so this game is a nooob noob game with empty promises.....as a map bug accour?....awwww that sucks
  88. Jul 15, 2013
    It's not Gothic in a traditional sense quests are more often than not kind of "go kill, bring this and so on", but the writing is witty, graphics are colorful and nice and I enjoyed the improved fighting system and the notable sense of progression as in any of the previous titles.
    If you want more games with "Gothic" gameplay, get Risen 1 & 2, this is Arcania and the only connection with other Gothic titles is the game world.
    But it really is a good and fun game, albeit a little simple.
  89. BHC
    Nov 27, 2012
    So, is this Skyrim? No. is this Dragon Age, ehh not really? Is it bad, Nope! So what is it? Well its not as bad as Two Worlds! Its a decent RPG. if you like RPG's, or should I say, If you are a avid RPG gamer, then try out Arcania. It doesn't make waves, but it's fun. The graphics are easy on the eye, it runs at a good frame rate. and the fight system is a cross between Demons Souls andSo, is this Skyrim? No. is this Dragon Age, ehh not really? Is it bad, Nope! So what is it? Well its not as bad as Two Worlds! Its a decent RPG. if you like RPG's, or should I say, If you are a avid RPG gamer, then try out Arcania. It doesn't make waves, but it's fun. The graphics are easy on the eye, it runs at a good frame rate. and the fight system is a cross between Demons Souls and Assassins Creed. The stroy is forgettable, but so is pretty much every Elder Scrolls game.The voice acting is meh. But what it does right is that it's fun. So if you can pick it up for $20, go for it. Expand
  90. Sep 24, 2013
    This game should not be called Gothic. If, like me, you enjoyed the last three entries, and are looking forward to a fourth, you will be severely disappointed. Pretend this game is just called "Arcania" and go buy Risen.

On the other hand, if you can find the game for cheap and want a pretty action game to slash through for a couple days, you will be satisfied. Maybe. Positives: 1)

Positives:
    1) The graphics are nice
    2) The combat is engaging

Negatives:
    1) Simplified character development
    2) Linear map (no open world, despite what the promos say)
    3) No factions, or really anything else that made the Gothic series awesome
    4) Forgettable story and characters
  91. Oct 2, 2013
    Good hack'n slash, but THIS IS NOT GOTHIC, it's gothic-like thing. But it's relaxing. Story is dumb, It haven't spirit of original Gothic saga. That's should never exist.
  92. Apr 5, 2014

1. Apr 20, 2011
    If you seek a simple game with breathtaking scenery and a ridiculous number of weapons and armor, then Arcania Gothic IV is for you.
  2. Jan 15, 2011
    Besides the handy automap and the journal, the only other positive thing about Arcania is that it's at least better than Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 13, 2011
    Arcania is more of a restart of the series then a regular sequel – some dedicated fans will be disappointed by its overall simplification but it does not make Gothic 4 a bad adventurous experience. [Issue#197]