4.5

1. Dec 17, 2012
    I've played the original Gothic back in...when It came out, it was about 10 years ago. so I can hardly remember anything except I loved the game. So I won't be comparing this part with the original. I've got this game on a steam sale in "Gothic Complete Pack" for some very cheap price. I've walked through the whole game. So this is my impression:
    Pros: 1) Decent graphics 2) Decent
    Pros: 1) Decent graphics 2) Decent soundtrack Cons: 1) Weak storyline 2) Stupid and repetitive quests (all of them are fedEx or "kill them all" type) 3) Bad voice acting, bad lip sync and bad dialogues 4) Inconvenient inventory (you can't compare the item in your inventory with the one you are wearing) 5) Stupid fast travel system 6) poor combat system (all the battles are like this: you are running backwards shooting arrows/magic, because meele combat with more than one enemy is knowingly a failure) 7) Stupid AI, especially the NPCs, they will be making their ordinary deals even if their house is crowded by monsters, the guardians won't help you kill the mobs if they are in the city etc. 8) Poor roleplay/skill system. So, overall the game is playable, but I can't call it enjoyable and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, it's a waste of your time.
  2. Jun 13, 2011
    Fairly enjoayable, solid RPG. Sure the hero is not as badass as in previous games. Lipsync and facial animations are a bit lacking, and you keep seeing the same faces over and over, but combat has really improved from previous Gothic games. I dont see why people hate it so much, sure it doesnt live up to the first two, but its not a bad title either. If you're a fan of the series, youFairly enjoayable, solid RPG. Sure the hero is not as badass as in previous games. Lipsync and facial animations are a bit lacking, and you keep seeing the same faces over and over, but combat has really improved from previous Gothic games. I dont see why people hate it so much, sure it doesnt live up to the first two, but its not a bad title either. If you're a fan of the series, you should get it just to see the old characters and how the story evolves. Because lets be honest, Gothic universe is too great for just for 3 games, theres still alot of places we havent been at. We want to explore more of Myrtana, and here we get it. Expand
  3. May 22, 2014
    This is the second buggiest game ever, after Fallout 3. DO NOT BUY THIS even on a humble bundle for $1. Your eyes will also throw up from how bad the graphics are.
  4. Aug 27, 2012
    This game is really Gothic in name only. It is nowhere near as hard as the previous games nor does it use the level up system of previous games. Overall I found it a really, really easy game especially compared to previous versions. Honestly it wasn't challenging at all. I died once the entire game. This is certainly not the Gothic we love.

The story is pretty good but the combat

The story is pretty good but the combat is so simplistic it doesn't even deserve to be called an RPG. It is more like an action RPG. If you just pound on the mouse button you're going to win every battle with little loss of health. Every time you hit somebody it stuns them so I went through most battles, including the final boss, without them so much as taking a swipe. This is really sad because early on you learn about blocking and breaking blocks but they are useless skills.

The skill system is pretty simplistic too compared to previous games. At level up you just add a couple of points to a handful of skills and you're done. No real room for creating unique characters. You become overpowered early on such that most of the game is a complete yawn fest.

The monsters are interesting until you realize they all do the same thing: hit you with a weapon, cast a spell or shoot you with something. Even the boss battles are nothing more than them hitting the ground to knock you over. There was so much potential here...

The biggest gripe I have with the game is its poor travel system. You have access to teleporters but they are really just to get you back to where a quest is due. You have no control over where they go nor can you use them to speed your way through the world. Expect to do a lot of running, which is dog slow. Even worse is that in the main city you'll find that there are wooden walls set up to prevent you from reaching your destination without having to run all the way around the city. This is invisible walls at their worst. Often you can see the very goal you are trying to get through but a wooden wall blocks the way. Evidently a sword swing hero can't climb over a wall or just break it down. This means you'll be doing a lot of backtracking.

Overall this is not a real Gothic game. They simplified everything to the point of being too easy and boring. Eveything that made Gothic a good series, such as the unforgiving combat, is gone. In its place is an action RPG that is mediocre on its own but a real letdown for the Gothic series.
  5. Apr 21, 2012
    Not one of the best Gothic series episode, i was expecting an awesome game like the previous but it turned out to be a "Linear mediocre" you can't even re-visit past locations just because the way get locked most of time, this game is not worth full price but if you are a fan, and have a bit of time free is nice to to be played.
  6. Apr 5, 2014
    I think this game deserves a solid 8.6/10

My only grumble with it is that it seems to have a bug that makes it run choppy. It doesn't seem to matter what CPU you play it with for some people as it lags, especially around the towns. Some peoples systems are OK with it, some are not. All other complaints I disagree with point blank. Some say it isn't part of the Gothic series. I think
    I think this game deserves a solid 8.6/10

All other complaints I disagree with point blank. Some say it isn't part of the Gothic series. I think the main issue with that is that it's shorter by about 50%. However having played Pirahna Bytes games myself like Risen, they took too long to play. Everything was just dragged out. I played the Gothic 3 demo and to be honest, I was only partially impressed.

Graphics are stunning. Music is spot-on. Voice acting fine. The story is rock-solid, though it has a bad bit soon after the start; (no spoiler included). Combat is spot on for a third person game: I mean really spot on. I like most of the characters, and love most of the locations. You can just go for a walk in most places, taking in the views, or wandering over a wooden bridge.

Even though I am struggling for frame rates, I am loving playing through this, and am about 3/4 way in. This is a game that's charm stays with you and brings you back for more play time. However if charm is not your thing, it may not feel right for you. Whichever way you look at it, my character soon became a mace wielding bad-a$$. This aspect in a world with great design, and engaging story, is a yes from me.
  7. May 27, 2011
    The horror. Terrible ,terrible game,and its even worst as a Gothic sequel. You just go and smash things (things that don't fight back,just waiting to get killed), stupid fetch quests...

Stupid story, boring too easy combat,stupid characters... stupid game...
  8. Sep 8, 2014
    It is not a good game.
    "Average" defines it well. Average combat, average world structure, average character development, bad crafting, a somewhat good plot.
    It misses a ton of features one could expect from a Gothic game.

But it's still playable and has moments on its own.
  9. Sep 12, 2014
    some what fun combat at times had to make myself play but was interesting, bugs here and there but was worth what i paid in hours i guess. If they would cut the game in half and polished it could've been much better just half ass work everywhere you look. Story bland with some humorous parts. Graphics suck pretty bad also.

Worth $5.00
  10. May 18, 2013
    I think this game is a good game on its own. But when you call it "Gothic", you can't call it good anymore. It used to continue the gothic-series but it was a disappointing game for Gothic fans. When you don't call it Gothic it was very fun. The Figthing-System was'nt bad at all. The story neither. The graphics were awesome! But as a Gothic Fan I just can't tell you, that this is a good game.
  11. Oct 20, 2010
    Not great at first but REALLY improves. Excellent Game! Fighting is very fun compared to the last Gothic, and the graphics are super good. A bit short, but definitely worth a try!
  12. Oct 17, 2012
    I liked the game itself and had very few issues, beautiful graphics.. somehow the dlc didnt work wortha **** graphics were totally fubar missing ocean missing armor crazy.
    If you can get it onsale its a decent buy
  13. May 15, 2014
    A solid game in the "Gothic" series. Better than the previous installments in every way. Load screens aren't insanely slow, though they could still be improved. Linear quest line, though you have enough side quests to shake things up too. Graphics were well done, and the story was passable too. About midway through the game when you leave one particular zone on a quest line, and can't goA solid game in the "Gothic" series. Better than the previous installments in every way. Load screens aren't insanely slow, though they could still be improved. Linear quest line, though you have enough side quests to shake things up too. Graphics were well done, and the story was passable too. About midway through the game when you leave one particular zone on a quest line, and can't go back. Don't worry as the questline will bring you back around and everything is open again. At first, since the questline is so long, I wasn't sure I'd every get back to finish exploring the previous zone.

It's a solid game, and I'm looking forward to playing Arcania: Fall of Setarrif. Definitely worth a buy on sale (which is how I buy every game).
  14. May 18, 2011
    This game would have received a 7 from me if they hadn't had 'Gothic' in the title. Gothic means a lot to RPG fans, and this game just stole the setting and slapped on a shallow, brown-yellow exterior that made me cringe while playing it. Gone is everything that made Gothic games great in this iteration, avoid at all costs.
  15. Sep 21, 2011
    This game have really great graphics but only this is great.... Missions is lineal adn sometimes boring. All is too much simplifcation and this is big minus. Town and village and all game world is no live..... This is no bad game bad i no advice this game Gothic series fans........ 6/10
  16. Oct 29, 2010
    While there is much room for improvement, do not discount this title so quickly. The first part of the game (tutorial island) is a major letdown and falsely leads the player into expectations as to what the actual game is like. Get past this, and you will find an absorbing and enjoyable action RPG.

THE BAD: Voice acting & lip sync is atrocious - almost embarrasing to listen to. NPC models

THE BAD:
    Voice acting & lip sync is atrocious - almost embarrasing to listen to. NPC models and skins are very limited, the same facial skins roll very frequently. Quests are very unoriginal mostly involving talk-to-him and fetching etc. Crafting system is overly simple. Levelling system is also overly simple. Jumping animation is clunky and ugly. Invisible barriers.

THE GOOD:
    Fantastic graphics, despite some pop in and shadow flickering the game world is an appealing place. The much touted weather effects are cool (particularly the lightning) but not that special. The combat system is rather smooth and enjoyable as a melee class. Ranged and magic combat is not so great.
  17. Sep 7, 2011
    Hack and slash RPG. There is no depth, poor storyline and terrible plot development. Game not even a challenge. This game is literally carried by the weight of the Gothic title.
  18. Mar 25, 2011
    When I played it for the first time, I was more disappointed than I thought I will. Spellbound did really bad job on that one.. It is a merely a continuation of previous Gothics. Only two good things that I am able to come up with are the graphics and improved fighting style (Compared to Gothic 3). Improved doesn't mean good though.. Most of opponents we face during the game we won't haveWhen I played it for the first time, I was more disappointed than I thought I will. Spellbound did really bad job on that one.. It is a merely a continuation of previous Gothics. Only two good things that I am able to come up with are the graphics and improved fighting style (Compared to Gothic 3). Improved doesn't mean good though.. Most of opponents we face during the game we won't have any problems with. Character faces not only repeat often, but people all seem the same even when talking to them. I must admit I didn't beat the game, but I've played it for plenty of hours and I must say it is really monotonous.. The quests we do are boring and nothing we never seen.. "Go there, collect this.. kill him/it/them.. bring me that.. find me some of these.. talk to him.." As far as I've seen the storyline, I completely didn't like it. Bringing up some characters from old Gothics is only as much as it relates to previous series. Oh, this, and creatures from Gothic series. The world isn't really interesting to explore at all. We often are forced to visit caves and all of them look a lie and have the same schematics. We enter the cave, do a circle and come out just where we entered, only that we need to jump down. They made exits high so players wouldn't be able to go this way after entering the cave. And in each damn cave it's the same story. The world isn't open anymore, we unlock locations. We don't have NPC as teachers to increase our stats, we just choose what we want to improve after leveling up. Bah! We don't even need a smithy to make a sword. We can forge one standing in the middle of swamp. Same for potions any anything else. Makes the game way too simple, and makes it seem like developers made this game for little kids, for which previous Gothics were too complicated. One thing I also don't understand is that we are able to choose "American" version of colours and textures which make game to seem.. More.. Friendly.. Less.. Dark and evil. This really is ridiculous.. Well.. I played the game for a bit.. I was forcing myself to play it, hoping that it will get more interesting later down, but it didn't. This game disappointed me greatly, and is nothing like previous Gothics. I didn't like Gothic 3 when it was out to begin with, but Arcania... Arcania made me appreciate Gothic 3 now. Arcania made me realise how great continuation of Gothic 2, Gothic 3 is. After I seen how bad can continuation of Gothic 3 be. Gothic 4 just isn't fun. I am giving it 3, since I enjoyed it a little slightly bit at the very beginning. But the more I've played my hate for this game started to grow and grew more and more. It's just a waste of time. Let me do a quick summary. Pros: -Umm.. Graphics? -Soundtrack isn't bad.. Cons: -Monotonous. -Too easy, even on hardest difficulty. -It just isn't the same anymore... I rather call it Arcania, than Gothic.â Expand
  19. Sep 27, 2014
    I like these games. I get a lot of play out of them and I don't mind that they are not cutting edge graphics etc. I have been playing video games since there were video games. Gameplay is what I want and this game has bags of it.
  20. Aug 16, 2014
    Heyyo, I love how all the Pirana Byte fans bash this game because it's not made by Pirana bytes... The combat in Gothic 4 isn't broken like other Gothic & Risen games by Pirana Bytes. It's not the most exciting game, but at least the gameplay isn't fundamentally broken. For that? I actually finished the game without rage-quitting like gothic 2 and Risen 1.

But seriously... fans of

But seriously... fans of Pirana Bytes are the worst fanboys ever. they even know the devs make broken games yet still sing their praises... they're worse than Apple fanboys... and that says things. At least Apple products aren't fundamentally broken minus iOS 7. :(
  21. Nov 15, 2010
    Been playing since Gothic: 2, never have I seen such a terrible release in RPG games, this is by far the worst, extremely buggy, all the elements that have made Gothic 2 a success have been taken out, graphics are incredible, although this requires high end machines, a 0/10 maybe JoWooD might pay attention in the future and listen to the hardcore fans that badly want the Gothic gameplay back.
  22. Nov 26, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After years of waiting after quite bad Gothic 3 we finally get our hands on Gothic 4: Arcania! But... is that really what we were waiting for? You are not free in deciding what you want to do, the whole game is a tunnel built for you. You move from one location to another in search for more quests and loot. NPCs look the same, you cannot feel of them as of real human beings, they don't inspire you for anything. Quests are really primitive as well as dialogs. Combat system is fine, battles are dynamic, but AI is I personally tried to play as warrior, my friend played as an archer, he said the final fight was hell. Very first version is not balanced in item qualities and prices. Crafting is really primitive compared to previous games in the series. After Gothic 3, which was a shame for company made it, I really expected for much more. This game fails on every front, please consider before you buy it. Expand
  23. Oct 28, 2010
    Sword? Check. Shield? Check. Bow and arrows? Check! Stop drop and roll, to avoid the essence of mediocrity? Double check! Welcome to JoWood's second attempt at catching lightning in the bottle. It failed on Gothic 3, yet was able to capture that video game magic with Gothic 1 & 2. Sadly, JoWood dropped the ball once again, on game mechanic's, storyline and variety. The game is a technicalSword? Check. Shield? Check. Bow and arrows? Check! Stop drop and roll, to avoid the essence of mediocrity? Double check! Welcome to JoWood's second attempt at catching lightning in the bottle. It failed on Gothic 3, yet was able to capture that video game magic with Gothic 1 & 2. Sadly, JoWood dropped the ball once again, on game mechanic's, storyline and variety. The game is a technical gem to behold, I'll give the development team at Spellbound credit for that. Such an achievement should be the norm, in today's technology driven society. I'm a realist, JoWood is a entertainment, company they need to make money. Lowering your standards for game play for a broad spectrum of 'gamers' is today's 'money grab' for software publishers like JoWood.

The game mechanics are horrid, the flow of combat, becomes a simple roll one direction, swing weapon once, roll backwards and fire off your three different versions of the same spell. Oh, I forgot you can use a bow and arrow to shoot monsters, it's a kiting riot! The game has hardly any active skills, most are passive. The weapon charge system is a dated concept. Multi hit is dated concept, it's a hack n slash principle. There is no riposte system, there is no flank system, stealth is a joke, you can't sneak up and back stab. There is no back stepping, unless you're using a bow and arrow. Running backwards makes your nameless avatar run with his back to the monster. Overall the game mechanics are sub par. The saving grace of this game, is the stunning atmosphere, but beyond that avoid this title until it drops in price. The game does offer good frame rates, on most top end video cards. The load times are quick. Thanks for reading.
  24. Aug 24, 2011
    the story is cliche the gameplay is terrible you have the walk to much in this game. graphics and music are nice tough. in summary this game is an insult to the gothic franchise and RPGs all together
  25. Dec 23, 2012
    What can i say? Arcania is the worst game from Gothic saga. This game would be in my assessment of the 8, if it were not one of the games of the Gothic saga. Because it's a good game, just do not feel the climate, which so influenced the player in previous versions.
  26. Oct 24, 2010
    As a fan of Gothic 1, 2 and (somewhat) 3, I didn't enjoy the game. From the start, it was failing one by one all expectations I had for a game promoted under "Gothic" brand. Among the major disappointments:

1) The hero is a wuss. Gothic games are traditionally built around rugged, self-reliant, morally ambiguous character. In Arcania, the character is a pathetic simpleton, whose life ambition is (you gotta be kidding me) is to get married. Also featuring charming looks of a stereotypical junior office manager. 2) The dialogs are a rip-off. RPG computer game is not supposed to be exactly a work of high art, but *dialogs are supposed to make sense*. Characters in Arcania drivel. Dialogs in the game are built from trivial statements, repetitions and linearity.

3) Limited freedom. For example, in Gothic it was possible to attack any NPC in the game, usually with dire consequences (e.g. the whole town population became hostile). Psychologically, it makes the player feel responsible for his actions, which is an important part of game atmosphere. In Arcania, you are unable to harm NPC, unless he or she was specifically designated as hostile by the game. 4) Character development is a sham. It could be a minor point, if the game was good otherwise. For example, recent Mass Effect 2 also has a greatly simplified character development, but it is still a great RPG. For Arcania, however, it is yet another nail into the coffin.

5) Poor performance on Windows XP. The saying is that the game was optimized for DX 11. On WinXP, with minimal configurations, it looks much worse than, say, Risen and runs slower. This problem is *not* fixed by the first performance patch (distributed shortly after the release). Probably, it will get better with subsequent patches. However, until then I strongly recommend against using the game under Windows XP.

Don't get me wrong, though. The game is not all bad, it is just a huge disappointment for most of the old Gothic fans. If you are new to the series, you may like it. The graphics is awesome and the combat system is not bad at all. If you are a fan of Gothic series, try something else. Risen is real good unless you have played it already.

In general, Arcania seems like a step towards casual gaming, of which I strongly disapprove. It's certainly a bad idea to make a casual game from an epic, atmospheric RPG such as Gothic. Good casual games are many, good RPGs are scarce. Now it's one less.
  27. Jul 28, 2011
    Arcania. The newest installment in the Gothic series produced by JoWood exclusively, deviates quite far from the classic adventures that are apparent in the first three games. It seems that without Piranha-Bytes at their side, JoWood is not performing well and is slowly killing off the Gothic series with a plethora of bad sequels (Forsaken Gods and now Arcania). While the game has many aArcania. The newest installment in the Gothic series produced by JoWood exclusively, deviates quite far from the classic adventures that are apparent in the first three games. It seems that without Piranha-Bytes at their side, JoWood is not performing well and is slowly killing off the Gothic series with a plethora of bad sequels (Forsaken Gods and now Arcania). While the game has many a new features that fully complement it, there are still many things lacking or otherwise cut from the final production. First, THE PRO'S: You'll find that a wonderful new musical score, that complements the environments and certainly provides a good setting is present. Dialogue is somewhat well-performed for some of the NPC's. The Graphics are a shave close to that of some of the next gen style that is apparent these days. JoWood has included a WoW-Like quest-tracking feature as well as detailed direction in the quest lines. The inventory system is suppurb! The story is somewhat well fasioned. THE CON'S: Repetitive model use. Some dialogue is very shrill and annoying. There are numerous graphical glitches that are still apparent everywhere (Alpha Masking & Displacement), the quest lines and story are too linear and the story still cuts quite a huge deviation through previous canon throwing out a great deal of Gothic's history. The character development is too undercut and linear not opening up a lot of options or balance. OTHER NOTES: *Retail version does not load through Steam, which prevents the use of the Steam Overlay. X-Fire works fine however. *It handles being Alt + Tabbed. Final thoughts: Worth the time, but I would wait until the price tag goes down. Expand
  28. Jan 14, 2012
    This game it not as bad as they say but its still not among good RPG like mass effect and dragon age. When i first started this game i really loved it, the graphic was great and it ran okay on high settings for my laptop. The story was just not there and i simply played the game for the graphic and game play alone. The game is always very linear which is something i enjoy compared to openThis game it not as bad as they say but its still not among good RPG like mass effect and dragon age. When i first started this game i really loved it, the graphic was great and it ran okay on high settings for my laptop. The story was just not there and i simply played the game for the graphic and game play alone. The game is always very linear which is something i enjoy compared to open world RPG's. However the games has some performance issues for many people and the leveling and skill system is boring and it is way to easy. I only died once thorough the whole game which took me 17 hours to beat Expand
  29. Nov 1, 2013
    I'm not impressed. Just got done playing Darksiders 2 and playing this felt like a chore in comparison. Played Torchlight and Magicka before this and they were more interesting. Never really got into Elder Scrolls and haven't played the other Gothic games, so it could just be me and my personal standards/tastes. The pace in this is too slow. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.
  30. Aug 3, 2014
    Average game at best, story is quite good, quests are sometimes pretty good with some choices, but mostly they are only type bring me something, kill something, in the half game started to be only linear. But you could find some good and amazing things- characters from older Gothic games and dialogues with them ( especially with Gorn), amazing locations ( for example Tooshoo), amazingAverage game at best, story is quite good, quests are sometimes pretty good with some choices, but mostly they are only type bring me something, kill something, in the half game started to be only linear. But you could find some good and amazing things- characters from older Gothic games and dialogues with them ( especially with Gorn), amazing locations ( for example Tooshoo), amazing music and great graphics, especially rain effects. Expand

1. Apr 20, 2011
    If you seek a simple game with breathtaking scenery and a ridiculous number of weapons and armor, then Arcania Gothic IV is for you.
  2. Jan 15, 2011
    Besides the handy automap and the journal, the only other positive thing about Arcania is that it's at least better than Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods.
    Arcania is more of a restart of the series then a regular sequel – some dedicated fans will be disappointed by its overall simplification but it does not make Gothic 4 a bad adventurous experience. [Issue#197]