6.4

1. Jun 27, 2011
    For those of us who played Contra as kids, the feeling of firepower was almost overwhelming. Put simply: this is Contra in super-smooth HD. This game is gorgeous all the way through but the boss fights are mind-blowing. During boss-fights and other set pieces they use multiple layers of backgroud to create an uncanny 3D effect. Also due to the mouse, aiming and shooting is a breeze. Unfortunately the platforming is a steaming pile of frustration. Expand
  2. Nov 7, 2011
    This game is very reminiscent of the Mega man X series and it delivers the same kind of platforming experience complete with new guns for defeating bosses and upgradeable armor and weapons. The soundtrack is solid and listenable, the settings look great and the 2.5D look it has really works itself to the games futuristic feel. The story did feel a bit rushed and lacking in any real meaning, but the gameplay was fun and the levels offer replay value. I enjoyed the game, but did find it a bit short, I spent maybe 4 hours on it and this was after replaying some levels quite a few times. Some of the boss battles were much more difficult that the others, but overall it was not too difficult a game really. A control pad is strongly recommended if you want the full experience. Overall I found the game worth playing and hope that they release content such as new levels and enemies, I would replay it if this was done. Expand
  3. Dec 12, 2011
    It's kind of like if Contra sexed up Megaman then released a 16/32 bit Contra+Megaman type of thing who took after his father, Contra. The older Contra games were so good you guys, and this is as close as we're going to get to a decent new one. Also, Contra.
  4. Jul 11, 2011
    The graphics and gameplay were pretty smooth. But something about the game makes me feel like I'm playing more of a flash game as opposed to a platformer.
  5. Nov 19, 2011
    Extremely short, takes 2 maybe 3 hours to play through, but the steam achievements add a bit of replay value. Graphics are nice, gameplay varies between super easy and extremely frustrating jumping puzzles.
  6. Jan 25, 2012
    Total Single Player Time: 2 hours. ARES has Megaman X written all over it. From the stage designs to the death animation, it's clear where the influences lie. And while it's a harsh comparison, it must be said that it just isn't as good as Megaman. But as a standalone review, the game does a lot of things right: excellent, colorful graphics, simple weapon upgrade system, decent levels, and a rocking soundtrack. However, on the gameplay side, ARES lacks a special punch to call it special. The enemies are repetitive with little variation aside from a color change in later levels, the controls (especially jumping) feel awkward, and a less than 2 hour campaign with its attempt at a story is laughably bad. Now there are 2 difficulty levels, but this doesn't extend the length of the 5 stages by much. It's not a bad game, it's just not a great game. And at a $10 entry, this title is meant for achievement completionists and speed runners. Expand
  7. Jun 26, 2012
    ARES has a visual style appealing to fans of the old 2D Megaman games, with a futuristic setting featuring robots, lasers, and gigantic scripted bosses - What's not to like? Unfortunately, overly large and uninspired sprites, rushed animations and a forgettable story gave the game a cheap feeling.

As for gameplay, if you've played a Megaman game, then you've played this. The addition
    of mouse control is a greatly appreciated addition, but actually made the game a bit too easy. Repetitive gathering of in-game resources so weapons can be upgraded and purchased simply isn't suited for a fast-paced scroller. Finally, the game is so short, it's over before you know it. It took me 3 hours to beat, with a bit of achievement-huntin' done, too!

I only recommend this game in a bundle, but otherwise I'd rather suggest playing one of many old Megaman games instead.
  8. Nov 16, 2011
    A.R.E.S. is pretty much a Mega Man game without the charm. The game definitely gave me a trip down memory lane when I was a kid playing Mega Man 8 and X. The problem is the certain controls are poorly thought out. Jumping in the game is a chore due to the fact that often times you'll double jump too early because the implementation with the space bar is poor. The shooting mechanics are average and certain ideas aren't fleshed out that well. For example there's different suits but they offer no advantages over others. Enemies are easily disposed off because of their awful aim. Bosses really are just run and gun and hope you hurt him. There's really no puzzles to solve for them, you just aim and shoot. The story is well, there. The game does have different ranks you can achieve by playing levels better so if you're OCD about that I suppose there's a perk. For $10 it's hard to recommend the game especially because it can be beaten in one sitting, definitely try before you buy and wait for a sale. Expand
  9. Mar 11, 2012
    Decent until you play for 10 more minutes. Bland and generic and boring, this is why I can't play indie games anymore. So many of them of pretty bad.
  10. Oct 23, 2013
    Pretty expensive for a 5 stage game, offers little to do and has some clumsy mechanics as the whole grenade system. Not much reason to replay it in a different difficulty, waste of time and money.
  11. Dec 13, 2012
    Simple Megaman clone with Dreamcast graphics. Everything is pretty average except the length. With only 5 stages there isn't much variety but the replay value comes from trying to get max rating on each map. It's decent but nothing really memorable.
  12. Aug 15, 2011
    Extremely boring and anti-climatic. Has been ported from consoles to PC which result on a confusing UI for those playing only PC games.
    Expended one hour with it and I feel like I wasted my time.
  13. Aug 11, 2013
    Complete garbage: too buggy to play. Avoid this shovel ware refuse.

Identifies the 360 controller incorrectly, all my buttons were backward and the second thumb stick didn't even work. Tried installing various versions of XNA, some of which totally crashed ARES. The game then started having stuttering issues. This is certainly software bugs as my system is greatly more powerful than
    required (i7 950; 6GB ddr3 1600; Radeon 6850). Expand

1. Apr 21, 2011
    With its rockin' techno beats, ARES takes me back to the days of the classic NES Mega Man games. [June 2011, p.77]
  2. Mar 31, 2011
    Solid gameplay marred by clunky controls and an almost painfully generic story. [Apr 2011, p.68]
  3. Mar 29, 2011
    A surprisingly well-made platformer, albeit simple and extremely short.