7.5

1. Jun 26, 2011
    ArmA II is a strange beast. It looks gorgeous, possesses an incredible coolness factor and can be highly immersive and engaging at times. But ultimately it's a false friend. A friend you simply cannot trust. You cannot trust the AI of your buddies, you cannot trust the mission triggers and you cannot trust the insanely complicated control system. On top of all, It crashes every 30 minutes (even with the latest updates installed). Sorry Bohemia. I really wanted to like that game but it's simply too ambitious for it's own sake. Expand
  2. Mar 5, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game; I really would like to play a good realistic military simulator. Unfortunately, confusing controls, bad AI and a lack of tutorials kept me from doing anything that I would consider engaged enough to count as "playing." Maybe I'm too mainstream for this game, but I just don't see why you need a specific button assigned to hopping over a fence. I couldn't get the AI to do anything resembling normal behavior. Very buggy. 4/10 Expand
  3. May 2, 2012
    The concept of the game is fantastic. If not for the horrible optimization in the engine and the terrible net code it would by all accounts be a brilliant game. As it is, the poor performance and terrible online performance make this shooter virtually unplayable. This is a game that I wanted to love but the actual game play is just frustrating with the bugs and poor performance on medium to high end machines built for gaming. The A.I. is simplistic but the true measure is playing against live opponents. Hopefully ARMA 3 does a better job of engine optimization. Expand
  4. Oct 20, 2012
    Bought it for dayZ, love it for dayZ, the DayZ mod gets a 10/10 for me.

Otherwise it's just too control complex to be fun, especially (plane) flight. The beauty of a PC game vs a console game (among a long list of things) is that controls don't have to be limited to four - 8 buttons. But seriously.... you dont need to use all 116 keys and every part of the mouse for EACH control scheme
    (infantry, land vehicle, helicopter, multiple types of aircraft etc.) It's near impossible to fly without a joystick. imagine, if you will, the following:

A + D = roll W + S = pitch ...so far so good =) now add
    Q + Z = trottle up and down... ok so it's hard to bank left and use throttle, I can handle that... but wait there's more!
    X + C = Yaw.. so now that you're trying to make fine adjustments to properly lead and strafe you need to completely forget you're throttle because you're trying to maintain your bank to match your're adversary. but wait... turning too hard makes you loose velocity.... so stop tuning with yaw, correct speed. return to yaw. But wait there's more!

F = to select your weapons, which aren't quite clear what they even are at first. until you accidentally fire one of the 2 only missles, 2 bombs, or 300 bullets you have (which you can empty in 4-5 seconds.)

But wait! There's more! While you're trying to simply stay away from the ground and fumble in utter dumbfoundedness with you're weapons while trying to hit a peanut sized target with next to no ammo remaining, you moved you're mouse! Oops it controls pitch and roll too, at the same time as the keyboard! While trying to grasp all this at once you realise your landing gear is still down.... ok so now it's off the the scroll wheel menu to retract it (which is actually quite alien at first). Now you're distracted for a few seconds from the incoming ground with your upside down aircraft seemingly resisting all your movements by about 25%. So on top of all this you now need to compensate for the resistance to your movement. Oh and remember to close/retract/lower your flaps. Whatever term the game uses is useless because you're scroll menu offers "flaps up" or 'flaps down". Am i lowering them from the top of the aircraft to close them? Or was it bring the flaps from the bottom up to retract them... Oh hey, there's a note on the top right of the screen, something about using TAB to acquire targets... Wait... there were instructions there.... that's ok I'll restart again.... *reading* Welcome to the tuto... *switch* times up! new message! In this excercise we will be going to *switch*. There is litterally a 5 line message that is on screen for less than a second.

Did I mention this is only the boot camp?

Now lets clear something up. I LOVE complex games. From ROTK to Total War to Crusader Kings II to Europa Univeralis. I enjoy a steep learning curve because the time invested usually nets a fantastic game that not every moron can just jump on to "pWn HiS n0oBzoRs" or whatever it is they do. I have over 14 hours of play simply in the tutorials. I have nearly given up on the main game. But I'm a stubborn type that will keep doing it till it's done. But most people will have given up ages ago, which is a bit of a shame. The game has a fantastic engine overall and is almost unerringly realistic. If the tutorial gets a very extensive tune-up I could see many more positive reviews. But too many people are kicked flat in the teeth with this (fun but) incredibly newbie unfriendly game.

Ending on a positive note thought, glitches have been non-existant to me. So I don't know if I'm just missing them out of sheer dumb luck or they have been fixed by now.
  5. Apr 28, 2011
    I'm only taking the single game experience into account, on version 1.09 (newest)... BUGS GALORE! I feel ripped off, even if I only paid 7.99$ for it (steam)
    The reason I hated it were not due to the "feeling of realism" or "its not an arcade game standard FPS" ... But more of the case of almost everything is bugged. Examples : Boot Camp (eg Tutorial), assault course, no problem. Move
    to shooting training, the instructor kept asking nonstop If I wanted to retry (I choose yes) ... he asks again. < restart bootcamp >, same again, this time it works, and then I get asked to carry an injured officer. Move over him, hit drag, then carry. cant move. put him down, still cant move / drag or anything. so I accidentally shoot him in the head, and then I hear a "well done" - WTF?!?
    So, I moved to single player (campaign), where I get treated to another tutorial - "shoot targets". I clearly hit the targets and the sergeant randomly shouts out "too bad, you missed" or "good shot" even though I hit them all fine.
    Real mission starts, complete black, no clue to even having NV goggles until Im half dead. "computer like" orders are being given through the radio.
    So, the sound ... works, badly (speech orders) ... Music is .. OK, no wait, its naff. No idea why they chose poor Duke 3D imitation music for such a "realistic setting"

Its fairly obvious that this company has had no testing done at all on the game, and to wonder what it was like BEFORE the patching, where in the world did these high reviews come from?!?

I gave it a 1 to say "well done for the idea", but what I mean is...

DONT BUY! NOT EVEN FOR A DOLLAR!

+ "Serious"
    + Decent-ish graphics (for 2009)

- Bugs
    - Bugs (as to say its REALLY buggy)
    - Awful music
    - Naff tutorial

Bottom line; Stick to maybe the battlefield series if you fancy some all out warfare... if you want realism, you'll need to wait that bit longer!
  6. Apr 24, 2011
    A training program, NOT a game. Impossible to control without lots of practice and tuition, that's the main issue with it. The graphics look alright, but hog SO much processing power that you'll be needing to tone the graphics down even on really high-end cards, despite the fact that it only looks average on its highest settings. Down-right BORING! Buggy as hell. Just stay the heck away from this, it's just awful. Expand
  7. May 20, 2012
    The good: Incredible graphics, massive maps and vast array of beautiful vehicles and hardware
    The bad: Terrible single player campaign, awful input lag, shocking voice acting, mindless voice script written by schoolkids (subtitles riddled with typos), broken or inexplicable events in missions... Prepare to fail a mission because something happened miles away which you have no idea about,
    or you didn't find an item or say the right thing to someone an hour earlier... W...T...!

Surely the worst thing is the interface. To call a helicopter to your location and get it to travel to where you want to go requires psychic powers. If you do get the helo to come to you, make sure all your squad get in, the AI aborts getting into vehicles if the person and the vehicle aren't in perfect sync. Finding out how to do it will require forum help or a youtube vid - unbelievable. Otherwise you'll find yourself sitting in the helo with your squad with no way to instruct the pilot where to take you.
    Honestly, the interface is appalling and unintuitive, much like ARMA was and Op Flashpoint before that. The new flashpoint games didn't review so well, but I played one of those too and was so pleased that the menus work and the missions were actually interesting. It wasn't as ambitious as ARMA2, but I played it through... I've tried that with ARMA2 a few times, but always got sick of the interface or stupid scripting. I went back with a much faster computer today, for a third go. Loaded up the old saves and it still looks great. Two hours of frustration later I'm venting on the internet. Save me.
  8. Jul 24, 2012
    What a waste of money. That game is soo annoying that this is hard to understand. The put a lot of effort to make most realistic possible but every step they did was total fail. Will not mention graphics which is on 1997. level! Avoid this!!
  9. Jan 8, 2013
    wow is this game ever crap.anyone who thinks for one second this game is a quality simulator has obviously never played a real simulator this games controls are crap the worst are the vehicle controls if you have ever played a REAL simulator and then get in a vehicle on this pile of junk you will be very disappointing i feel like i threw 30 bucks in the trash when i bought this pile of crap.you can call it anything you want the devs can call it a amazing simulator but its just a lackluster buggy pile of crap.. and the controls are not very customizable at all try getting a pro flight setup to work right on this game you cant.i play full on military flights sims regularly and this is so bad.save yourself some money and just buy battlefield 3 its a lot more fun then you will have with this junk.if you want a good flight sim try falcon 4.0 or a-10c warthog or even microsoft flight but don't waste your cash here. Expand
  10. Mar 12, 2013
    Garbage with a pretty face.
    When it takes more effort to change weapons in a game than it does in real life, there is a problem.
    Outrageous learning curve with a million controls for very simple tasks. Voice acting that makes the Resident Evil series blush. It feels very unfinished, unpolished and unprofessional.

On the other hand the graphics look nice, most of the time. Only a few
    graphical hiccups that I saw. Expand
  11. Nov 8, 2011
    Hmm.. how to describe this game. In one word BORING! This game is really not any fun at all. Do I really need to map a control to every key on my keyboard? And why can't get in a vehicle be the same key that I use to get out of it? Is the game buggy, sure. I couldn't care less, It's so boring and sucks so bad that being buggy is the least of it's issues.Sure the graphics are nice, but once again what does that matter when a game is as boring and simply NOT FUN, as this game is. Expand
  12. Mar 13, 2011
    Awful gameplay, they wanted to make it complicated even to move yourself, I mean, If your press forward the soldier will go 1 FULL step, this means I can't go just a little forward. The mouse lag is awful too, some people said its was to simulated the weigh of the gun, c'mon, this game really needed more work from Bohemia.
  13. Jun 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I couldn't stop replaying the many and varied OFP single player missions and hoped that ARMA would be as good or even better by its second incarnation. But, no, the developers appear to have spent all their effort on the cosmetic aspects, and on making the interface less logical and more awkward and unnecessarily complicated and counter-intuitive, rather than fixing the aspects that so badly need fixing: a horrendous AI (vehicles drive into walls and get stuck on rocks and trees rather than following a straight road, your team-mates run into enemy fire), vehicles still drive in an unnatural "gliding" manner and dont hold your breath it's still as bad in ARMA 3 alpha as well. I consider OFP to be one of the most intelligent games ever made, and was prepared to accept the limitations of ARMA 2, but I can see that the game is being ruined by the questionable decisions of the apparently not very intelligent developers/management. OFP had a simple and logical interface that was easy to learn and fun to play. It's the only aspect that didn't need improving and the one that they've wrecked with too much unnecessary tinkering. I personally don't need any cut-scenes and, to add insult to injury, the developers are trying to present some of these third-rate examples of bad animation and voice-acting as missions! The "vanilla" edition lists 6 missions but it's actually only 5! Do they seriously think that anyone is tricked by this and doesn't notice how poor the single-player experience has become? Each mission seems to have a new way of annoying the player from the use of ULB's which I just find too boring and cumbersome to try to learn how to use to having to write down some silly made-up squiggles from a piece of paper to defuse a bomb. I do have a feeling that the small but vocal group of devotees are posting positive reviews en-masse whereas normal people who haven't devoted their whole life to ARMA tend to become understandably fed up very quickly and just give up. I'm angry because I no longer have a game to play and it;s always sad to see idiots in charge make stupid decisions that affect us all. It's not a question of the developers "not having enough time" or players like me being too stupid for anything but COD, it's a question of stupid decisions and wasting time and effort on "fixing" only the parts of the game that didn't need fixing. On a positive note the surfaces are now more shiny. Expand
  14. Jul 22, 2012
    Terrible, absolutely terrible. I bought this game including operation arrowhead just for DayZ mod which is why the majority of people have this game, and i cant even play it. Here are my PC specs: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz 4.1 GB Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit Nvidia GeForce 405 Video RAM 2.7 GB Pixel Shader version 5.0 Vertex Shader version 5.0

And here is Arma 2 Specs:
    OS: Windows XP or Windows Vista
    Processor: Quad Core CPU or fast Dual Core CPU (Intel Core 2.8 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster)
    Memory: 2 GB RAM
    Graphics: Fast GPU (Nvidia Geforce 8800GT or ATI Radeon 4850 or faster) with Shader Model 3 and 512 or more MB VRAM
    Hard Drive: 10 GB free HDD space

The only words in which express my anger and dissapointment are:
    £15 wasted, I might as well of gone out and bought 15 packets of £1 sweets as they would make me happier right now.

Do not buy this game, it is a piece of ****
  15. Oct 14, 2013
    This might be great if you wanted to be in the army but due to an accident with your balls and a lobster you can't. However, I wanted a good single player experience... Instead I got some of the worst voice acting ever, some really robotic radio chatter and the desire to throw myself out of the window.
  16. Aug 12, 2012
    This game is very bad and can only be fun for people who is in the army or plan on joining. This is more like a simulator with tons of bugs than it is a game. The objectives are hard to complete and when you think you have completed an objective some bug happends and you have to restart the whole mission all over again.

The campaign is horrble because of this and some missions are
    almost unplayable. Stay away unless you love the US army Expand
  17. Aug 4, 2012
    I wouldn't say this game is terrible, but it's pretty bad. It's was written so badly I can't imagine how it is so popular. The graphics aren't that good so considering the game eats up more memory then say battlefield 3 or Crysis 2. The sound effects are terrible and the engine is extremely bad. The control system (the way to change them and the default control setup) is just a joke. This game should be about £5.99 at the most not anywhere close to £20.00. Total waste of money and so disappointing. Expand
  18. Jul 8, 2012
    Okay...where to begin.
    This is one of the worst engines and platforms I have ever seen in the history of gaming. The controls are terrible, the physics are mediocre, the character movement is horrifying, the lack of a jump button makes me think Mario never happened, and to top it all off, the graphics are extremely sub-par for when this game was released.

The sheer amount of controls
    is silly. There are much simpler ways to accomplish an experience that is just as dynamic as one that only gets there by making me use a hundred different controls to do everything.

DayZ was the reason I bought this game, but it is unplayable because the designer decided to use the worst platform in FPS history. Huge waste of money.

If someone tells you this game is good, take that with a sixty pound grain of salt. That person is most likely looking for a complex immersive experience and are grasping at the few straws that made this game unique.

I tried playing single player, and it is even worse than multiplayer. Extremely boring and slow paced, 2003 graphics, choppy, error prone moving objects...just overall an incomplete game without really any shining qualities to make it worthwhile other than the potential of DayZ.

I'm running this at maximum maximum graphics on a fairly modern PC bought in August 2011. 16 gigs of ram, 1 gig GeForce 560, quad core 3.1 ghz intel i5.
  19. Jul 19, 2012
    Terrible controls.
    This game is horribly ridden with bugs and glitches, the controls are very difficult to use (Specifically mouse- controlled aiming) and it is very easy to get frustrated with this game very quickly. I cannot get past the first mission just because of how difficult the controls are to use, and there is a 3 second delay between moving my mouse and the game responding to
    that. This would be a great game otherwise, but I literally cannot do anything if my character cannot even aim properly. Expand
  20. Aug 3, 2012
    2/10 = 1 star in a 5 stars system = Bad. ( Scale: Bad, Poor, Ok, Good, Excellent ) This game is unplayable: 1) Controls are bad (unjustifiably bad, even for "simulation", which usually gives you more options, not less usability) 2) Gameplay (does NOT feel realistic, feels like your soldier is physically challenged.) 3) BUGS AND GLITCHES (And not "complex" ones either, really stupid ones, even in the tutorial!)

Playing this game feels like I have failed in life and am now stuck in a soul-grinding job that I hate.
  21. Feb 22, 2013
    I am a hardcore old skool Operation Flashpoint fan but this game makes me sick.If you dont have enough time to finish the game at least make sure the mission triggers work.
    You will find that even the first tutorial and the first mission are very hard to finish simply because they are buggy as hell. They are too complex for the medieval mission system to work. First missions should be
    immersing, rewarding and easy to complete. Not like this. The engine is very slow and choppy and it prevents you from enjoying the GFX.
    I have no good things to say because I didn't get far enough to see them.
  22. Dec 12, 2012
    I LOVED Cold War Crisis and was very excited to play Arma 2, but I'm extremely disappointed. Still has the open ended aspect and the potential to feel very real but the gameplay kills it. Friendly units run into things and get lost, or are impossible to give effective commands to, especially in combat situations. NPCs are useless. "hey helo pilot, there's a group of enemies down there. mind hovering a minute so i can shoot them with the minigun mounted on the side here?" Nope, no command for that, just gonna drop you off in the middle of a bunch of **** shooting at you. Not to mention I just spent a hour reloading saves trying to sneak up on a group of enemies sitting around fires next to their tents, but as soon is I get anywhere near them they start shooting through the trees and bushes and kill all of my team before i can even get a good look at them, and this was once I resorted to putting the difficulty on recruit! WTF. I love the "get shot once and you're injured or die" aspect. I'm not saying it's too hard, the AI just ruins it. You'd think that these issues could be resolved considering the game came out years ago. I too was hoping the negative reviews were just being too critical, but they're accurate. If your getting this for the campaign, DON"T. I miss cold war crisis, arma 2 is somehow a big step backwards. If those asses are gonna turn out another arma like this let em stay in jail in greece Expand
  23. Jun 27, 2013
    The game seems terrifying bad to me. The controls are outdated, the physics and AI are quite weak. Dialogues and video sequences can't be skipped. And the worst thing: Really annoying bugs everywhere. I won't ever buy any game from Bohemia Interactive again.
  24. Aug 31, 2013
    What's the point in making something that doesn't work properly? Like a ferrary with an engine that stalls every 100m, that's exactly what arma 2 is. Controls are horrible, I cannot believe they couldn't have done a better job with the controls. The whole scheme reeks of utter irrationality. Gameplay is practically absent, a silly sandbox experience, online is broken as well. Horribly optimized engine to put glazing on this "cake". Expand
  25. Feb 19, 2014
    I signed up just to warn you about this game. Every single thing about this game is broken. Don't expect anything to work as designed. You might spend 500 hours messing around with 3-rd party mods that address a portion of the design flaws in this game, all the while you have to ask yourself, when does the fun start? If you enjoy experiencing hundreds of glitches and bugs, then you might find fun in this game!

Most of the actual fun of this game is theoretical, as you imagine what it could be like if it were fully realized.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for Arma 3 either, as a vast number of the flaws from this game carry over into Bohemia Interactive's newest game. They are either incapable or unwilling to address the problems.
  26. Oct 2, 2013
    War is hell. After some backbreaking long minutes of walking and scouting the terrain we finally find our main targets. We lie down and take aim while we ignore our AI-Buddies who can't decide whether they want to crouch or stand up or lie prone. We aim want to shoot and … a) one of our AI-buddies kills all of them before we can place a shot b) the enemies blow themselves up c) we get killed from something
    d) the game crashes

What WAS that?!

Welcome to ARMA 2!
    This "game" tries to be a tactical simulation but forgets one important point: We sit in front of a Computer! We use some peripheral input-devices to command our alter-ego in a game with fake limitless "posibillities"! How hard can it be to program a User-friendly interface and not to mess up a simple command like "jump over a fence"?! Even "DELTA FORCE" and "GHOST RECON" managed an intuitive Control-theme! It bugs me out and makes me mad having to chew through this uncomfortable and plain unpleasant "game".

Did I say "bugs"?
    Well. there are plenty of them!
    Game crashes randomly. Tanks blowing themselves up. Teammates vanishing into thin air.

And worse:
    The AI:
    Random unrelated and horrible chatter, tought by one of the worst "voice-acting" I've ever heard in a videogame.
    It comes near absurdity when team-mates give you some status-updates that are plain wrong and standing in front of a sniper...!
    Oh, and don't forget the unability to heal teammates or doing anything else independently!
    The AI fails to find the right way so often, it looks like there is NO AI!

Nearly no imersion!
    I can't understand what some purists describe as "imersion" and "thrilling experience"! What game did they play?!
    Bots and NPC's look like zombie-puppets. Blabbering some gibberish and unmotivated lazy "Oooohrah" followed by a briefing that could be organized by a senile granny-club.

The game itself:
    Every ounce of "Immersion" is destroyed by the plain stupid bot-behavior and their robotic, bored and unprecise radiochatter.
    Thats one of the worst problems:
    Unprecise responses from your AI-"Buddies" and absolute dumb behavior.
    It ranges from "shooting a needle in the woods" to "missing an enemy 2 ft away"!

The second some "imersion" sneaks up on you, the game stops and you have to watch one of the worst cut ingame-cinematics with some random and unmotivated chatter.
    No sense for camera-angles and transitions!

After all unpleasant "Features" this Game has to offer, it feels sometimes like a relief when the game crashes randomly for no reason.

This "game", this piece of software-garbage feels more like a over-ambitous mod-project than a game worth 30 bucks!

The one positive point that comes to my mind are the very huge maps!
    But what good are ludicrously large terrains when you have to walk multiple hours to spot just one objective?

I am giving this "game" one point for trying and one point for the awesome large maps
  27. Mar 2, 2014
    My rating is for the game- WITHOUT- any mods. WITH mods that fix the game the rating would be a 5.

It's better than Arma 3... But what isn't? This is still made by Bohemia Interactive, a studio that is either profoundly lazy or terminally incompetent - pick one. Consequently, BIS produces software that can't ever be called "finished" and depends on legions of modders - not just to add
    content - but to actually FIX the game into a playable state. Arma 2 has a massive community which, over the years has turned Arma 2 into a unique and almost functional experience that, when it works, can be really fun.

BUT to get that good experience you will have to install a LOT of mods that (mostly) fix the AI and realism problems. Then you'll have to add any game expanding mods on top of the fixes and you'll end up with a massive directory set - all of which is going to have to work together with the native, bug-cursed half-as*ed crap code that Bohemia barfed onto the game disk. You will be spending HOURS just trying to troubleshoot an outdated poorly implemented code on an unoptimized game engine that was out of date the day this was released.

This is a game that, if undertaken by a half-competent studio, would have been revolutionary and amazing. After years of being worked on by modders this game really does have some brilliant and incredible moments, but those are fleeting when compared to the fixes/bugs/crashes you will spend more time sorting out. BIS and the Arma series is so enraging because they are SO close to something that works and that would be totally revolutionary, but instead of finishing the job they did it half-way and left players to fix their work. And as talented as the modders are- there is just only so much you can do with mods laid on top of the core code and using the horrible markup language.

If you are willing to put up with the constant troubleshooting between game errors, glitches and mod conflicts just to get this thing to run and work halfway decently. And if you can tolerate the numerous bugs, glitches and occasionally game-killing design flaws, then you WILL have some amazing experiences.

Honestly, even though I've put literally thousands of hours into this series, I can't really say that I recommend it. Especially since I'm older now, and just don't want to spend the few weekend hours I've got free to fix Bohemia's mistakes. If you've got the hours to sink into it, or you're satisfied with building really simple missions then give it a shot- it's FAR better than Arma 3 (but that's not hard) and really cheap.
  28. Mar 22, 2014
    If you're an octopus, you're going to like this game. Otherwise you probably won't be able to get used to the controls used in this game.

Seriously, for the first time I saw an FPS that had so many controls binded, that some of them were unable to be placed on the keyboard and had to be binded as combos (double shift for example). Additionally, I've had no fun while playing this game.

1. It's a shame the developers obviously didn't have enough time to finish ArmA II properly before they shipped it: There are many bugs in the game and the AI's actions mostly just don't make sense at all. One piece of advice: Get patch 1.01 – with it the game is at least moderate fun. Still, we hope that some further patches will follow and fix ArmA II's major flaws so that it will finally become the great game it could be – next time, however, we'd like to see the game finished by the time of its release!
  2. The vast and open world of ArmA II offers an incomparable army experience. You only need to accept its slow pace and batch of unpleasant bugs. Still ArmA is the only matchless war toy.
  3. ARMA 2 doesn't seem to be a finished game. The AI is cheating, physics and controls are out of date and the game is full of annoying bugs. That the game manages to look great from time to time doesn't help much. Hopefully Bohemia Interactive will release some patches soon. The game still has a lot of potential.