7.3

1. Sep 12, 2013
    Best ARMA game to this date. I have been playing these games since Operation Flashpoint (What a wonderfull experience) and I can tell Bohemia will add further support and content to the game in the close future. The game mechanics, the new weapons and equipment is a joy to use (drones etc.). I like the modern day setting and the HUGE map too. The game is moddable, so I will play long hours with maps... Great game but not for everybody. This is the closest I ever want to be to a war, and this is the most realistic depiction of combat, unless you are really there. Recommended! Expand
  2. Sep 14, 2013
    When this game looks, plays, and has the same amount of content as the alpha version for twice the price you have problems. Doesn't seem like this game was finished at all.
  3. Sep 12, 2013
    This game is no better than Arma II. To be more sad this game is even much worse than previous part. I bought in alpha stage so didn't loose too much money but this title is pure money waste!!
  4. Oct 10, 2013
    Pros
    Amazing Graphics
    huge scale
    Great physics
    Detailed weapons
    Good vechiles
    Cons
    At the moment lack of content
    Technical Problems
    Singleplayer maxed out runs well at around 40-80 FPS but multiplayer some servers can't handle the game and it can drop down to 15 FPS
    My Specs
    Intel i7 4820k Extreme@4.7 ghz
    Corsair 16 GB Vengeance Pro 1866 Mhz
    GTX 770 4 GB
  5. Oct 29, 2013
    I truly hate the MMS genre, Arma 3, however is something different. It's got some interesting concepts, sadly all of which are taken out poorly. The multiplayer is pretty decent, but the maps are so huge and open, that it is impossible to find anybody. The campaign is something I do not mean to ever play, considering it's a MMS, and the campaign by MMS nature, will be god awful. There has to be something in this game though, and there is! The level editor! Problem is, that it isn't very good if you genuinely want to have fun and mess about though (like me). It's graphically sound, but with the optimization issues I noticed, you will need a very, very good gaming tower to run at anything over standard. This is a beautifully sound game if your into MMS games, or a fan of modding. as a base game though, this will offer most gamers nothing. Imho this is a waste of money. Expand
  6. Sep 17, 2013
    No single player. That sums up Arma 3's position. It doesn't care about the single player experience. Not in the least. So you can take your single-player, solo gaming fool self on out of here. We don't want your business.
  7. Oct 24, 2013
    I have waited patiently for a very long time with Arma 3 and the final product is nothing short of average. Everything seems to be lacking from the gaming content all the way to the modding tools. It's a complex product which you cannot master overnight but after many hours of playing; it just doesn't feel like it's worth the effort. For those that have paid full whack for a seemingly unfinished and unsupported product; it's a real kick in the teeth.

The enjoyment is just simply not there and with Battlefield 4 round the corner; either save your money and time for that or if you want a realistic sim; join the Army instead!
  8. Oct 21, 2014
    This game is so average it hurts. It is basically an "open world" Call of Duty... Wow! So innovative (not). The "story" is a piece of crap and the gameplay is tired and repetitive. But the good things about this game is the amount of vehicles, guns, and its amazing graphics. Would only recommend to Call of Duty fans.
  9. Apr 12, 2014
    Definitely worth getting if you enjoy military or tactical shooters. This game gets better with every patch, and with over 200 hours logged I can say the game still brings fresh content every time I play. No scenario is ever the same, and with the new FREE DLC this becomes especially true. Mods will also blow you out of the water with new gear, sounds, imported maps from previous ArmA games etc. ArmA 3 is going to be popular and have a lot of players for a very long time. See you on the battlefield. Expand
  10. Sep 12, 2013
    Arma 3 feels so much like just DLC for Arma 2. It was in development for a long time but is still missing Singleplayer campaing and its content is very thin. Also its not a modern day shooter. It tries to be a simulator of being a soldier but unfortunately that brings some bad things implemented. The only way to move around map is in vehicles, if u dont have any at ur position then u are sc*****. Also snipers are a huge pain in the ass. Gameplay is good, graphics improvement is nice too. I dont know what to think about BI promises but right now, i wouldnt recommend it too much. If you are a war simulator fan then buy it, if not, dont buy it. Expand
  11. Sep 13, 2013
    The best military based game period. Anyone scoring this game less than 9 are being paid off by competing companies or are COD twitch retards. Good support, tons of content, the best gaming community out there, amazing graphics and gameplay. A great successor to Arma 1 and Arma 2 and worth every penny.
  12. Sep 13, 2013
    After all the hype and the excellence of ARMA 2 I couldn't wait to get my hands on ARMA 3. The game has progressed in a postive way, graphics, PhysX support, smoother gameplay (movement) and you can now actually swim! Though all this is let down by the fact that the game has no campaign and it is optimized worse than its predecessor. Simply unplayable at 20 FPS with low settings using a high-end gaming desktop. Expand
  13. May 17, 2014
    Played this game for free on Steam weekend, but even for free it's not good enough.

The game's biggest problem are the controls. They are horribly over-complicated, with key combinations and mod keys required for simple actions like changing weapons and sights. They should have stuck to what works in other games. I don't want to remap 50 keys to make the game playable or get used to a
    completely different (and worse) setup.

The inventory screen is also pretty bad. There's no option to change vests and keep the items. You manually have to re-equip all items on the vest. I also couldn't figure out how to combine mags, if it's even possible. The crosshair jumps to targets by itself, sometimes half a screen away, which is confusing as hell.

The highly praised graphics engine is only average. Some nice high-resolution textures for the soldiers, but lots of texture pop in everywhere which is extremely annoying. The shadows have way too sharp edges.

Too many things just don't feel right in Arma 3. I'd really like a good tactical FPS with big maps, but this isn't it.
  14. Sep 16, 2013
    While there are a few areas where the series took a step forward, graphics and physics, there are many areas where the game is just not finished or even took a step back. My first problem is the map. While the map is huge, it doesn't seem to have the character of Chernarus and it doesn't feel like a place where you should be fighting a war. I realize that BI wanted to showcase new features with water, but I just think it's kind of strange to be fighting on a Greek island. There's just something about those post-Soviet states that just makes it feel like you should be fighting there. The next problem is just the overall lack of attention to detail. A great example of this is the Xbox 360 control scheme that is on the game. While you can edit the scheme by basically disconnecting the controller and putting it back in as a generic one, you would expect that the scheme that the developers made would be pretty good. Unfortunately that is not the case. Flying or driving vehicles can be very interesting with this control scheme. somehow I don't think the helicopter is supposed to shoot whenever you turn left and vice versa, but it does. Also, I just feel that they could have waiting until the single player campaign was finished to release the game. People would have waited. Releasing it without one has just made people angry. Another rather puzzling element is the lack of jets in the game (except for one that's from like the 60's). I was looking forward to some awesome air battles above the terrain (which is beautiful from above), but unfortunately there are no jets for the NATO or Russian factions. Another common complaint is the framerate issue. I haven't been having those problems and in my opinion that is more of a computer issue than a game issue. I do realize that they post the hardware requirements that the game needs to run, but those are MINIMUM requirements and you shouldn't expect it to run perfectly on the lowest settings. When you buy this game you should know you need something a little more powerful to run it and for it to perform well. I know that BI will improve this game over time, but I'm reviewing the game as it is now and unfortunately it just isn't very good at the moment. I will update my review as BI updates the game Expand
  15. Nov 2, 2013
    Compared with ARMA2, the game-play is much more fluid, smoother, more FPS-like. Don't expect CoD stile game-play, but that's a good thing. Team-play, as always with ARMA series, is essential.

The weapons and vehicles are all fictional (due to royalties restrictions), but they all feel real and there is a good balance between the factions' gear. The community no-doubt will fix this.
    There are already quite a few of 'replacements' like the SA80 assault rifle and a full US/Russian weapons. Many more are in the pipeline.

Recently, the first chapter of a campaign has been released as a free DLC with very well done, really enjoyable game-play.

You do need a fairly powerful PC, but the game is less resource-intensive than ARMA2. I can run almost everything maxed up on a 2 year old machine (only turned down shadows and removed AA as I run it at full resolution).

To enjoy the game play you need to spend some time to learn the controls, not just for the soldiers, but also for the different vehicles, UAV, robots etc. There is also a command set of instructions where you don't need to get into the fight, but manage the battlefield groups to fulfill the mission. Aslo, don't forget the scuba divers a first in the ARMA environment under-water warfare!

The mission editor is even more powerful than ever and there are plenty of community-created missions available to download either via STEAM or from various websites. You can create large multi-unit battles or smaller building-clearing type of missions the last now works better than ever as it wasn't a strong point in previous ARMAs .

This game has got some quirks, but for the kind of scale it covers huge terrain, multitude of units, weapons, vehicles etc. it is a truly enjoyable battlefield simulation off-line or on-line.

Bohemia Interactive's constant support for the game, dedicated server files, modding tools brings a breath of fresh air in the FPS world at a time when other FPS games (BF and CoD) are now console games, a constant more and more expensive re-hash of the same, with a very closed server environment.

Well done Bohemia Interactive! And thank you!
  16. Sep 14, 2013
    I don't see why there are so many haters for this game. Yes, the multiplayer is badly optimized, but the rest of the game is glorious, the graphics, the gameplay mechanics (wich improved a lot since ArmA 2) and the physics etc. It's all just an improvement from ArmA 2, the only thing I don't like is that it's set in the future, but that doesn't matter too much.
  17. Sep 27, 2013
    To compensate for all these cod fanboys giving the game a 0 out of 10 becouse they cant have theyr twitch shooter expirience ill give it 10/10. Cons : Poor optimization. Narrow selection of weapons vehicles. AI that sences where you are gonna pop up. Pros : Fun as with friends. Map editor. MODS. ADDONS. Looks good & sounds good. Map is huge as probably takes like 5-7 hours to run across it.
    Physics.
    ++++ alot more things but ill keep this short

Overall its same quality as arma 2 but that new movement fluidness and difirent stances make it better for me .

Also people saying that it shouldnt cost as much as AAA games well you should have bought it when it was in alpha for 25 Stupid ppl will be stupid
  18. Sep 22, 2013
    Pros:
    I will give the game a 1 for the actual idea of such a large sandbox arena for combat.
    Cons:
    Everything else but the idea.. it just lacks on sooo many levels since the early days. Yet I am still a fan.. but when you have noticed through the years that it is not getting any better.. excuses get old.. and so has this series.
  19. Sep 16, 2013
    Very disappointing for a highly anticipated game of this significance. There is limited content and generally feels and looks like a enhanced graphics and terrain dlc on arma 2. Definitely came out too early and doesn't deserve any higher than a 5.
  20. Sep 13, 2013
    A really well made and detailed simulator. The best military simulator available. It's so much better than ArmA II in every way, if you are even slightly interested on owning a military sim this is what you should buy.
  21. Nov 25, 2013
    I can't even find the right words to emphasise how huge this game is. I hate myself for not buying it when it was $32, and I definitely didn't want to miss it at $45. Even for the full price ($60) this is a great purchase. Yes, it is THAT good.
  22. Sep 16, 2013
    As it stands this isn't fit for release, it's a playable demo. This is exactly why I try games out before I buy them since if I'd paid money for this I'd be furious. There is NO campaign until it's released as free DLC. No single player campaign no reason to play so it scores 0/10 for being a 10gb install of big fat nothing.
  23. Sep 18, 2013
    Having alot of experience with the Arma series since it was called Operation Flashpoint and made by Codemasters, what follows is my super condensed review: Pros: Improved player movement Physx engine including ragdolls Improved vehicle handling Improved graphics Improved sound effects (Good, but not epic. Definitely better than previous installments) Nice break away from standard US vs Russia factions
    New map of Altis, an improvement over Chernarus (Many areas are flat but the cities/towns feel much more handcrafted and real compared to chernarus which felt like you were traveling in 1970's soviet russia)

Cons:
    Limited and random fake vehicles (Only jet fighter is a modified training jet)
    Continuous performance issues from previous arma
    Outdated file system
    Editor has no improvements; anything complex or interesting requires much custom scripting which means hours of sifting through forums trying to find the right code
    Texture/model pop-ins everywhere at all times just like all previous armas

No single player campaign really is not a big deal. No one really plays arma for the single player. It's all about the m-play.
  24. Sep 12, 2013
    I brought ArmA during the Alpha, did not see any single player campaign, waited for the beta, did not see any single player campaign. Thought hay it will appear on release day... Nope... no single player game. Apparantly BI are going to do all us Single player fans a massive favour and release it in 3 FREE DLCS the first of which will be ready in October....Single player has clearly stopped being important enough to consider for the release version, its now a DLC. BI, I have a message for you..."By the time you see the cash.. it will already be too late for Arma 3"... My first ever ZERO vote since a menu saying coming soon offers no gameplay at all.... Well done... Expand
  25. Sep 22, 2014
    Anything cool they could have done was scrapped. We're left with something halfway into the "future" and halfway stuck in ARMA II because people just can't suspend disbelief. Decent with mods, not very good on its own.
  26. Oct 3, 2013
    Game of the century if only it was optimised and less buggy.Runs poorly on a high spec rig and lacks depth due to the maps being very empty and un-used at this stage.I've had fun on the multiplayer but it doesn't seem to hold my interest for very long.I've been a fan since the old days but the games always seem to have too many problems to quite make them as epic as they should be.I'm glad I bought it even if it's just to explore and "hang out" with friends for a bit, but sorry something doesn't quite sit for me.Seems like a great opportunity waiting for the right moment to blossom. Expand
  27. Sep 18, 2013
    I was really looking forward to this game but yeah... I am slightly happy but massively disappointed.
    1)It has good graphics but what on earth is going on with the optimization? I got Intel i5 3570k, 8gb of ram, a lot of free space on HDD and ATi 6950 SOC graphics card and I get average of 30-50 fps on minimum to standard graphics. Are you serious? I get on maxed out graphics average of
    20-30 fps. This is completely stupid.
    2)The amount of vehicles suck also there are not that many weapons.
    3) maps are rather boring. Nothing interesting.

Well yes it has good points to it like
    1)physics
    2)soldiers instantly drop to the ground when they get killed in arma 2 you shot ai in the head like 10 times and then it took another 10 secs for him to drop down to the ground)

0/10 disappointing game.
  28. Jan 14, 2014
    ArmA III is, unfortuntely, a failed experiment to launch the franchise in a new bold direction. Perhaps calling it a failed experiment is too harsh, but what do you call it when a bunch of hardcore arma vets (myself and my clan) who loved the arma franchise, stop playing it and go back to ArmA II with only putting less than 15 hours into ArmA III.

Well, it says a lot, and I mean truly a
    lot, about the game when a new member of our clan who never played ArmA II absoloutely love ArmA III. It speaks wonders about the games streamlined appeal to those who never played ArmA II before. We even got a member who didn't like ArmA II but loves ArmA III. That's because to its credit the new one is a lot easier to get into and a lot more user friendly.

ArmA III is naturally going to be judged and compared to its previous title. Some people tend to forget that ArmA I and II were both launched in a very bad state while lacking a lot of content, but it was accepted by the community for what it is. ArmA III has gone down the mainstream road without adopting a new approach for the mainstream community. The standards were raised for the next title in the franchise yet the developers didn't deliver.

The main issue here, when comparing the launch of the previous titles, is that the developers have consistently said they were aiming less content, more quality. An approach that they've taken very seriously to the detriment of the new title. We are just starting the New Year and the developers have done very little for the game, content wise. The pace is a lot, lot slower than previous titles. One might attribute this to the higher quality being put into ArmA III, which may be true, it may indeed lenghten the process.

But how long has ArmA III being in development? How many shuffles and re-designs did it undergo? There is no doubt about it; its a rushed job. The fact that the game released, yes, RELEASED, with hardly any content to call it a game and without a campaign is a joke. The first episode of the campaign is also, personally, a major disappointment. The developers also seem more focused on showcasing community missions rather than issuing development blogs.

We are not being fooled...

Another miscarriage in the arma franchise is the creative design and the cons of bringing the series into the future. We've got a creative designer who is dreadful, just dreadful, at what he does. The armor/uniform designs of the units are horrendous, the vehicles they decided to put in are failed prototypes that have no chance of appearing in any future warfare and it seems that rather than being put into the future, the whole concept of warfare took a step back.

I will say to its credit that Altos is, while somewhat barren, is indeed a wonderful landscape to play on. The graphics are wonderful and the optimisation done in the post launch period has been fantastic. The AI itself, while not up to the standards of ASR-AI (mod for ArmA II) it has certainly improved over the vanilla AI.

But, the devs can't be forgven for taking a much loved franchise and turning it into what it is now.
  29. Sep 12, 2013
    ---Rating--- Design: 4 /5 (infantry focus is generally nice, but does mean less combined arms assets) Polish: 4 /5 (nice graphics, but slightly buggy at times, and the interface can be frustrating) Value: 4 /5 (currently limited in content, but this will inevitably change for great replay value) ---Review--- ARMA is the premier platform for military simulation experiences on the market, and there are reasons that I refer to it as a platform rather than a game. To my knowledge the ARMA series has always been this way, and that represents much of its unique appeal. Unfortunately, judging by some of these other reviews, there are still many people who didn't get the memo that playing ARMA for its singleplayer is like playing Bioshock or Mass Effect for multiplayer.

As for the quality of ARMA 3, an extraordinarily rocky development process hasn't held things back too much, all things considered. Infantry mechanics work well, with the exception of terrain collision, which leads to the player getting stuck or AI glitching into the ground on a semi-regular basis. Vehicles also generally work as intended, but I find that their damage models feel rather abrupt and inconsistent, and this results in many a sudden and unexpected fiery death. The maps are generally very nice, but Altis could use more in the way of unique landmarks, and disappointingly most of its few unique buildings can not be entered.

All in all, ARMA 3 generally accomplishes what it has set out to do, but to some extent its overall fidelity makes those few deficiencies all the more glaring. If you have missed out on joining the Alpha or Beta (and thus buying it at a discount), I would recommend that you wait to purchase ARMA 3 until they add more content. It's not exactly what one would call a "full game" in its current state, even though the price has increased substantially with this "official release". However, for those who have bought this game months ago like myself, it's a great value that will continue to pay off for a long time.
  30. Sep 13, 2013
    No content, poorly optimized, multiplayer has sync issues and 9 out of 10 servers suck, it takes so long to find a good game. Just not impressed, it's basically an engine without any game...
  31. Nov 17, 2013
    This game has potential, but at the current state it's awful. It has has no content. MP doesn't work properly servers lag and the game is unplayable. This is the worst optimized game. single player is being released as DLC, this is not acceptable. In short you just have nothing to do in this game. Even showcases are broken and full of bugs, developers don't even no how to properly make a simplest things, absolutely no AI in this game, no physics too.
    Just do not buy it, do not support such lazy devs. Wait until they fix the game and if they'll fix it then buy it.
  32. Jul 18, 2014
    Le meilleur jeu de simulation de guerre . Map immense , physique du mouvement et des armes trés réaliste , beaucoup de véhicule , accessoire , arme. Assez dur au départ et demande une très bonne agilité du joueur , il font réfléchir et ensuite tirée pas faire l'inverse comme dans les autres fps .
  33. Aug 9, 2014
    It was back in 2001 as Codemaster’s Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis set the bar for military simulations. A game which did everything right from graphics, realism and mood as a fully integrated mission editor as well. It was so exiting to stay up in the night and play it for hours and hours. Codemaster and Bohemia tried hard in the coming years to built a better and even more realistic military simulation but something was missing for me – some kind of feeling. With Arma III Bohemia accomplished their mission fully this time. The game is so exciting in detail and offers one of the most realistic military simulation available today. Expand
  34. Sep 14, 2013
    Single player in this game works great. Game have interesting concept and great potential comes with it. But here starts the problem... Multiplayer in this game is at least atm. unplayable. Utilises like 1 cpu core, all the rest sits below 40-50%, while FPS drops to hell on all variety of specs, giving players in multiplayer around 10-25fps. (while on single they could run smooth 60fps all the time on very same rigs) Expand
  35. Sep 12, 2013
    Ive been watching the developement since the start and all i could recall till this day were steps backwards. Steps backward in performance, AI, overall engine, almost everywhere.. It is still the same old bad performing arma engine. Especially when you are a top notch AMD user, stay away.. Clearly Intel was favourited here. The gunplay still has that clunk-ish feel to it and so on. I cant give it a higher score then 3, this is rather a big hit in the face to me. Expand
  36. Sep 27, 2013
    ArmA 3's true potential is nearly sabotaged by its slew of bugs and performance issues. Returning fans can expect the same military sandbox trappings of ArmA 2 but in a near-future setting. Some notable additions make movement less clunky and more intuitive, like the multiple different stances infantry can assume, which allow cover to be negotiated accurately and without exposing yourself any more than you need to. The game is lacking a proper campaign at the time of this writing, but user missions provide more than enough content both for single and multiplayer. The greatest problem with the series has always been Bohemia's shoddy workmanship, and this game is no exception. For all its heart and promise, ArmA 3 should only be recommended to fans of military simulation or those with the patience and disposition to get the best out of ambitious games full of technical issues. Expand
  37. Sep 16, 2013
    This was a large stride for the franchise with a lot of hype surrounding it. This is the world's best Military Simulation game out there. This game enabled more freedom and more playstyles within the game, and actually requires military tactics and critical thinking to avoid or engage your enemy. The modding community stays as strong as ever, not that this affects the score. One of the game's biggest strengths is that is really is simulating what is is like to be in a real war, and how you would think and do in an actual war. But this game is held back by it's graphical performance and it's sometimes frustratingly stupid AI. But this game clearly is meant to be played in a co-op mission to maximize the amount of hours you put into this game. There is something here for everybody, whether it's over the top action guns blazing, or it's amazing tactical warfare and massive scale battles that Arma is known for. This is a must have for PC if you have really ever wanted to play a shooter with ultra realism at it's finest. Expand
  38. Apr 23, 2014
    Bought this game in alpha as I found Arma 2 to be tons of fun online. Even with all the hackers and other things the amount of realism was too much to pass over. Arma 3 started off a little slow with content and things to do, yet it has been seeing much more support over the last few months. It now has a single player campaign mode and some online support along with tons of steam workshop mods.

Gameplay: Realism is a keyword here, this game is not your typical fps or third person shooter. It is important to play this game as you would in real life. Bullet damage is high as getting shoot once or twice will put you down. Aim is also difficult as it has recoil and bullet drop so spamming your rifle down range will only end up getting you killed. AI is easy when it comes to single player and will only get the drop on you if your stupid and run into situations with no care in the world. Multiplayer is a blast depending on what mods or if you have friends to play with.

Graphic: Next gen graphic’s as it is top of the line, game runs smoothly on decent rigs and looks amazing on top of the line hardware.

Replay Value: Single player is fairly quick and won't keep you coming back, but multiplayer aspect of this game will keep you busy for as long as people keep busting out content.

Overall this game is a huge win, a must have for military fans and people who enjoy fps/third person games that aren’t your typical styles.
  39. Nov 10, 2013
    The game less realistic. Very unrealistic. With such TEMPO it will turn into a battlefield. The game offers a 10 FPS and I do not understand why. In singlplayer FPS great.
    P.S. I want to broken bones in the game. Where have they gone?
  40. Nov 13, 2013
    I loved Operation Flashpoint, ARMA, to some extent ARMA II and for sure Iron Front Liberation 1944, but ARMA III....

The landscape is at best dull and featureless. It reminds me of Delta Force from 1998....

The driving is the same as before, only now I drive in mostly fantasy vehicles (or at least completely unknown and perhaps planned-for-the-future vehicles) that I have no
    emotional relation to whatsoever save that I don't like them (gut feeling). They are pretty much the same for all sides in the game, with the exact same weaponry I guess to "balance" and make each side equally strong (read: boring). In short; I don't like them at all.

The small arms are ALL boring. It's all futuristic weapons. There is not one rifle in this game that I would have wanted in real life (and I am a gun nut...). They have more realistic recoil and better sound, but.... blaahhh. No thanks.

Uniforms are rather cool, with different camo options that are actually rather nice, but... they are all ultra futuristic and to me at least that is a big no no. You can also take a uniform from a dead guy (even if you killed him with canon fire) and put it on in about 0,1 second. So you can enter a house, change uniform and exit all in a few seconds. And they call this a war simulator....

Aircraft. Futuristic choppers. At least one fixed wing aircrafts..... I was not intrigued and didn't bother checking this feature out properly.

Single-player campaign. No such thing.

Single-player scenarios. No such thing.

MP campaign/scenarios. No such thing.

You are left to make all of this yourself. Ironically this might be no big deal though, because their scenarios and campaigns in the other games they have made all SUCKS, so you would have ended up making them yourself anyhow.

The editor is superb, so you can do a lot with this game, if you want to and if you can stomach all the futuristic features.

Optimization. I don't know. It works okay on my PC, but I have never tried it with many units.

A. I. It's pretty much the same as before, only now the enemies run away much easier (I think), and then after some running change their mind and come running back again. So in effect they e. g. run away up the side of a hill, turn halfway up and come back down. So I have the time to finish their other team members off, and then wait for the runners to return so that I can shoot them too. I have no idea if that is supposed to be good A. I. or not. I don't like it though.

Graphics is good, but I feel like "what's the point when the landscape is that featureless and boring"? It's like "the one tree over there is really nice".

This game is unfinished, and doesn't appeal to me at all.

This is a game that I will not play.

I return to (a still rather bugged) Ironfront Liberation 1944, and if I wish to be shot dead by a guy with an AK with iron sight 400 meters away about 1 second after I peek out a window, I can play ARMA II. :-)

What are these game makers up to? It went downhill from Operation Flashpoint. Better technology. Better software. Worse games... go figure.
  41. Apr 27, 2014
    Giving this a zero because this buggy game does not deserve the average 7.2 user score. In reality, a 3 or 4/10 would work. Why? - 25 fps average on the newest and greatest hardware (everybody complains about FPS on this unoptimised Arma enginge) - Your guy gets tired within 3 seconds of aiming - DESYNC. Cars and people constantly flying across the map - Sound of engines will not go away until you exit the server some times.
    -I am good at every FPS and this game has the most awkward shooting mechanics and even when you do hit your target they don't count half of the time. This game makes Battlefield 4 "net code" look like a work of art.

tl;dr

This game is only good when you have friends to play with and if there's a USER MADE mod that you like. I didn't spend this much money on my computer to deal with horrible optimization and bugs that have been in the game since Alpha and Arma 2.
  42. Feb 18, 2014
    This game could have been great, but the engine is horrible and does not utilize the GPU as it should, i have an i7 2600, 12gb ram and a gtx 780 and i get 20-30 fps no matter if im at absolute lowest settings possible or the highest possible. The only reason this game is even geting a 1 from me is cause of some of the great mods. I would not recomend anyone supporting this company with any money cause they keep releaseing games with this subpar engine that belongs in the 1990´s and not 2014. Expand
  43. Oct 5, 2013
    Bohemia Interactive are so frustrating. They never deliver a complete game. Arma 3 looks beautiful in so many areas, like terrain, solider models. But it irritates in others like driving physics, lack of intuitive controls, dumbass ai. I so want B.I. to succeed with Arma 3 but if they keep failing to fix the same old problems, people will eventually give up on them and return to the less satisfying but working games that are BF4 and COD:Ghost. Arma 3 needs a lot of fixing and refinement. Expand
  44. Mar 8, 2014
    Let's be fair, the game is still (one year since the first alpha release) in early development, much like an alpha, the irony, it stutters constantly, bad CPU/GPU-utilization for the majority of AMD/Nvidia GPU:s and AMD/Intel CPU:s, few weapons, vehicles, low-res vegetation, textures, poor physics (no recoil for armored vehicles or rifles, but most important the lack of suspension for light vehicles) and to why anyone would pay full price for this early build, remains a mystery, if you need to play ARMA, you're better of with ARMA 2. Expand
  45. Feb 24, 2014
    Highly Recommended Great Graphics, Epic Gameplay, endless options for Multiplayer modes (Though CTI and TDM are my favorite!) I fell in love with this game, it simply rocks, though one should be aware this is nothing like the BF series etc, you either love or hate Arma, as simple as that. If you like games like AA3 and Red Orchestra etc. chances are you will absolutley love Arma.

All in all give it a try if its on a Steam Sale or if once of your friends already got it.
  46. Nov 9, 2013
    Fantastic title. Delivers the true Operation Flashpoint experience, and over time it will just grow and grow in terms of both quality and content, just as BIS's previous titles have.
  47. Sep 12, 2013
    It's everything you enjoy, don't trust anybody else THIS IS IT. the best game of all time, Bohemia amped up the gameplay and made one of the best games yet and to date.

GG...

P.S: can't wait for a campaign, if there is one :P
  48. Sep 17, 2013
    Excellent improvements over Arma 2 in movement, lightning, stability and terrain. Altis island is just an amazing piece of 290 square kilometers open-world terrain. With mission editor and modding tools you can make Arma 3 anything you want.

All Arma games are like good wine. It gets only better when it gets older.
  49. Sep 12, 2013
    Well first off, before you buy this game save up for a new PC, other than that you'll be sweet! Now I've played this game since alpha, and there have been significant improvements through out the course. If you're looking for a very realistic modern warfare game, then this is for you.

The game is a 1st/3rd person tactical shooter war simulator, it has so many things that make it
    realistic, such as bullet drop physics, bullets being extremely deadly, and head shots killing instantly. Arma 3 requires patience and tactical planning continuously in order to be successful. It is a very slowly paced game, unlike Battlefield 3 and Call of Duty or any other 1st person shooter in that matter. The game has various soldier classes such as the medic, engineer and recon etc. which you can pick to your liking. Teamwork is also of the essence here, you need team mates watching your backs and providing cover fire wherever possible. Another cool feature is the ability to swim underwater and scuba dive!

Vehicle are done well, helicopters actually are a bit tricky to fly if you haven't done so before. there are different vehicle to choose from such as trucks with big guns on top of them, boats etc. As mentioned before, bullets are deadly, so cover is essential as well as stealth. When you engage enemies you actually feel like you're engaging in war and you can feel the adrenaline rush through your body!

There are single player missions as well, not the best ones but they can assist you in your training. You can also play co op modes with friends! There are also heaps of different guns to choose from, including assault rifles and sniper rifles, you name it! 1st person view offers full body awareness and you can go prone and all those small things.

Another cool feature is the ability to talk (VOIP) to other players near your location, so when you're engaging enemies you can actually taunt them and scare them. There is also vehicle chat, team chat etc.

Overall an 8 out of ten.
    Pro's:
    -Makes adrenaline rush through your body
    -Realistic bullet drop
    -Various weapons and vehicles to choose from
    -Very fun tactical game play.
    -very nicely done VOIP system
    -Good graphics if you got the system to run it
    -Co-op and
    Cons:
    -Graphic requirements are quite demanding You have been warned!
    -It can get boring sometimes when there is no action, sometimes you wont even shoot anyone for hours.
    -you can't jump, which is a bit odd
    -Controls can be a bit sticky at the start, but you get used to it

So yes, a must buy if you love realistic games.
  50. Sep 12, 2013
    This game is THE BEST Military Third/Fps game ever,,,, Ground breaking graphics makes war even real tactics and planning every step you take is awesome Great war atmosphere Unlike Cod/Battlefield You have to be aware in Every step you take Cuz You can be shot 400 miter away Best Simulation Game Ever. XD
    Pros:
    -Awesome and Ground Breaking Graphics.(Maybe One of the best looking games
    ever)
    -Tactics and real gameplay
    -Sounds in game are awesome you'll feel like the war is at the neighberhood.
    -Steam Workshop.(can play any user created mission instantley and our community is creative as hell)
    -Exciting and awesome Multiplayer (tension and stress makes adrenaline pump in your veins)
    -6 months the devs was making Tweaks to it so you will experince no bugs most of the time

Cons:
    -Low fps when playing multiplayer(a 20/30 Drop in fps When playing multi) Devs may fix this after release.
    -Single player compaigne will be delivered as free dlc after release (Some pple prefer to play singleplayer So these pple will be turned off)
  51. Sep 14, 2013
    There's rarely ever any Australian servers. There's no single player campaign (at this stage, why even release the thing if there's no campaign yet?). It's very poorly optimised to the point where 25 fps is a blessing in multiplayer. Sync issues near constantly. Gunplay feels clunky and low-impact.

I truly can't recommend this as a finished product. Should've stayed in Beta imo.
  52. Oct 6, 2013
    Would not recommend this game. Broken AI, Physics problems, graphical glitches and very limited content make this game, in my opinion, a series ending killer. Bohemia Interactive obviously rushed to develop this game and have left the play with a broken, frustrating gaming experience. Avoid this one.
  53. Sep 12, 2013
    Unfinished, various bugs, too heavy and too old engine. AI is worst than previous chapters, AI see you from behind so stealth approaching is almost impossible, Guns inflict ridiculous damage: when a target is hit it make a move as if hit by a small stone, it turn himself in your direction and shot in total ease. You need also 4 5 shoots for push off the target, most of the times he kill you first. AI is not able to use repairs also. They tend to run from point a to point b and vice versa, also in open field in the middle of a shooting. some times they go prone without a definite logic. there are four speeds and movements still to remain inaccurate in some situation (as in the buildings. this product seems a joke. a step backward on all sides. Expand
  54. Sep 17, 2013
    Hooray... another giant, beautifully rendered wasteland.

Cities are empty. Houses are empty. Terrain is empty. But it's full of all the classic ARMA glitches. This game will be great in about a year and by then it'll be 40 bucks cheaper and be what it should've been at release. I promised myself I'd stop falling for this but, unfortunately I'm stupid and can't control my impulses.

Save yourself the same fate and have some patience.
  55. Sep 15, 2013
    What a great game. Lots to be done, but thats is the way of arma. Years of free content and bug fixes still to come.

I play this game everyday, and I havent even touched MP yet. The editor limitless fun. Right now Im enjoying making CAS missions for the buzzard. It is amazing.

Note that this is my genuine score, it is not meant to balance against anyone elses opinion.
  56. Nov 21, 2013
    Awesome game with great potential, it still has various issues such as poor optimization and a general lack of content but that's to be expected, personally I think the game should still be in beta state rather than release but I fully expect and trust Bohemia Interactive to fix these issues and provide more official content in future, unlike many other game developers they actually listen to player feedback.

The overall feel of the game is much improved from ArmA 2, movement in particular is a lot more fluid which makes ground combat a whole lot easier, the user interface is also a lot cleaner making gear management relatively simple compared with previous games in the series, the only thing I am really disappointed in is the weapons, there seems to be a lot less variety and many of the much loved classic weapons are gone in favor of fictional futuristic weaponry.

While the game is not the best at the moment the future for it looks very good, there is already an active modding community around it producing some great content, so I'd highly recommend ArmA 3, although if you're looking for more polish I suggest waiting maybe 6 months or so.
  57. Dec 7, 2013
    big fan of the series, in fact i think ive already gave a score for this game, think was positive score, but now i changed my mind, after all these years i realized (the hard way) that bohemia is synonym of mediocrity, they didnt work the game AT ALL, i have 300 hours of playtime on arma3, and i can assure u it gives headaches and anger, anger because i know they can do better, but they like it the easy way, fooling their fans, anyway, the only remarcable thing is the ilumination work, maybe the sound effects too, the rest is just lame, 0 PERFORMANCE QUALITY, no midpc user friendly (and not talking bout me ;D) they forgot to test the game, da!!; never saw so much wasted potential in a game, compared to previous arma releases (1 and 2) the AI is the WORST AI EVER period f**** period, sometimes (frequently id say) they act very erratic, the just don't give a s**t bout you, and they ruin ur game, and if u dare to forget the AI and try the MP then its almost unplayable, too much lag and 0 optimizations, can't believe i was waiting for this, the animations are very poor for a game with a very capable engine, but u know what makes me more angry? the minor flaws, yes, those minor flaws that i just cant understand their existance, u "alt+tab" while in game and the menus GUI etc goes to hell, u can't even see the server list correctly LOL, some servers don't appear at all, but if u copy the ip from ur navigator or anything then suddenly appears xD, but then u remember u cant do the alt tab thing, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarr,i spend 15-30 minutes to find a server to connect, and the list of bugs continues... the game is just broken, the only ones capable of reverting this calamity is the modding comunity, they already started and thats what made me have 300 hours in this game. anyway, can't give more than a 5. Expand
  58. Sep 7, 2014
    To sum things up, the game is all engine and no content. At release (and pretty much now as well), the game has little to no content. Very few guns and vehicles and a limited campaign. The engine is impressive. It has amazing graphical capabilities and is fairly well optimized. The AI seems to be pretty decent as well. However, I cannot get over the complete lack of everything. Arma 2 had a crappy engine, but there was a lot of stuff. I was never bored testing out all the different tanks and weapons. Arma 3 released with THREE KINDS OF ASSAULT RIFLES, 3 SMGs, TWO PISTOLS. TWO KINDS OF MACHINE GUNS, AND THREE SNIPER RIFLES. WTF..? For a military sim, the lack of diversity in the weaponry is inexcusable, and the pressure to develop this necessary addition to the game should immediately be relegated to the modding community. However, the engine is pretty nice and the game has been promised free DLC updates, so it still receives a decent score. Expand
  59. Feb 22, 2014
    They outdid themselves. Animations have been greatly improved, graphics are terrific, and it's much more fluid than Arma 2. I fully recommend this for anybody serious about their simming.

Do not buy if you're looking for a shooter (CoD, Battlefield, CS). Arma is a military simulator - and the best there is.
  60. Sep 14, 2013
    Arma 3 is a good game, but the lack of content and some AI ploblems make it feel like a beta version. On the bright side the new things are great. If you liked the series then you should buy this game
  61. Sep 12, 2013
    I played the game since the Alpha stage and I have t say, they added a lot of content, sure the game isn't finished as in it has no Singleplayer but still it has PLENTY OF CONTENT in the steam workshop.

Also i'm glad to see that this game still supports mods, unlike games such as CoD and Battlefield they still know that it's all about the user experience which is why they will
    update the game with lot's of new content.

Only downside: The bad optimization FPS might drop because CPU usage is too high, but I'm sure they'll fix this eventually.
  62. Nov 7, 2013
    Is ARMA 3 an improvement over previous installations? Yes, but not in all respects. Is ARMA 3 a good game by itself? Partly, because almost 2 months after its release, the game still seems quite lacking in some areas. Here´s what I think: Pro: - the game is visually stunning and easily scalable - the open world sandbox environment is very immersive and provides many different tactical opportunities
    - appealing user generated content doesn´t leave the game too laxcking of any meaningful content
    - controls are much intuitive than in previous installments
    - there´s a lot of future potential

Con:

- the game still crashes a lot
    - the AI is still very much a mixed bag
    - the SP-campaign gameplay often seems very random thanks also to the strange AI behaviour and sometimes strange and unfair mission design
    - in addition, the first campaign DLC is quite short
    - there is very little actual content in the game, especially for SP
    - MP performance is still a problem

I understand perfectly that BI has a long term interest in ARMA 3 and wants to contiunally develop it into a more complete game. up to now they already did a good job in some areas, getting rid of or streamlining certain mechanics, that were unnecesarily complicated, however this means more or less simply "bringing them up to industry standard". It´s not enough to polish the graphics engine, thereby achieve an appealing presentation, streamline controls and make two (very nice) maps. Accordingly the impression that ARMA 3 leaves behind is that of a quite promising and immersive game, but which is simply no even close be finished. It had less catastrophic bugs and glitches at release than its predecessors, but it´s still plagued by crashes and poor performance. At least this should be done right at release so why is it not a beta anymore? MP gameplay makes for a lot of fun, but it´s no excuse for the fact, that the game feels quite empty and without any engageing content, it becomes boring after a while.
  63. Sep 13, 2013
    In a nutshell? DREADFUL!
    This.. this... thing! Can only be one of the worst BI efforts to date. Now, don't get me wrong, I own all the other ArmA's and they were some of the best games I've played. Arrowhead for example, while having some issues, was amazing fun and well done.
    This on the other hand is awful. There is NO (zero!) single player campaign (to be added later while it will be
    free, until then the game is shallow without it). Some of the "designs" are very strange, like bullets that can go through plate steel and concrete walls.
    This is by far the worst ArmA yet. The players (lol) marking this up at 10's and 9's are either Devs or pure blind fanboys that only want multiplayer and hate on you if you speak up!
    Please don't get caught out, and stay clear til this game is finished. You'll only end up upset and let down.
    TRM. (PS. It gets 2 instead of zero because the graphics aren't half bad... Apart from the grass/trees shading not working right and crawling over rocks makes you look like your going up a mountain's north face!).
  64. Sep 14, 2013
    I would give this game a 0, but I gave it a 2 for the fact that it has the potential to be good... if I could play the multiplayer.

The single-player tutorial missions are perfectly playable with a good frame-rate, but on entering multi-player I get around 8 FPS. Which makes the game pointless. What's more, the developers flatly IGNORE this issue, even though it is the biggest issue on
    their feedback tracker.

My PC specs are above the recommended specs but I cannot play this game. I really should be getting a refund.
  65. Sep 15, 2013
    This game is hard to review if you want to be a true "critic." First of all, it doesn't deserve a 0....those scores are just nuts. I rate games based on fun factor. Arma 3 is a really, really fun game. The graphics, physics, ability to mod, etc are great. The fun factor is out of this world. This game will keep you preoccupied for a loooong time. The term "Armaholic" exists for a reason. But I'm hooked not only because of the gameplay, but also because of the editor. The editor is a blast (once you learn how to use it. And if you want to learn how to use it, watch a few Youtube videos...I suggest watching Jester814's videos. That dude knows his It's doesn't take long to learn how to create your own missions, mod bases, etc. You really can do anything you want in this game. It's a true sandbox simulation. Add the realism, fun factor, etc and you have a fun game that is well worth buying. Now the negative. If you are new to Arma (which I was), you'll jump into this game and after you say "gee whiz" to all the cool stuff, you'll start playing and then say "what the f*%k" to all the complexities. Arma has quite the learning curve. And yes, some of the muliplayer missions are crap (or you just don't know what the guys in charge want from you). I didn't know whether to take a or wind my watch on most of my first missions/sandbox games. It's easy to feel lost, but invest some time (and again, I recommend finding some great tutorials on Youtube) and you'll start really having a good time. Also, once you figure out the editor, playing your newly created masterpieces gives you a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, especially if you play with friends or people who are serious about the gameplay (aka NOT CoD hacks). However, the Arma community seems pretty welcoming to noobs. In fact, based on the Youtube help videos, they're all about getting you caught up so that you can add to the fun factor of the game. It's a good philosophy. The more educated you are about the game, modding, etc, the better the experience for you AND the rest of the community. Lastly, Arma is a big motherf*%king game. If you insist on running it on ultra, you'll have to have a beast of a machine. I have a pretty good rig, and it runs fine on mid-range to upper mid-range settings. That doesn't piss me off. In fact, if anything, it makes me want to start saving for a new PC. This game has so much potential, that I think I'd be more than willing to drop some cash on a badass gaming machine down the road. We'll see. In the meantime, I'm having a blast with this game and I'm pretty sure most people would, too. It requires some "fixes", but this game is all about mods, so I am sure these problems will get resolved. But in reality, it's a really well put together game. Buy it...you'll like it. Expand
  66. Oct 11, 2013
    Im sad actually, as a big ArmA II player i thought things could only get better. I was wrong. The lack of polish is astonishing, the game has NOT CHANGED SINCE ALPHA! Only new content, but the FPS bug i was so annoyed with stayed the entire way. This is pretty much ArmA 2 with better graphics and less gamemodes. Buy ArmA 2 instead of this waste of money
  67. Nov 2, 2013
    People rating this down and saying there is not enouph vehicul or graphic are not good are sound if fake seem to forget what other games are offering. Arma 3 have 10x more vehicule than any game done in the past, the graphic are better than most game, and the sound of rifle are realistic,not like the dwoned down sound of hollywood action movie. people seem to have a fantasy of what a game should be, but seem to forget that no other game if opffering even half of what arma 3 is offering. It have the biggest map of any game done. It is almost 2x washington dc. How can you say othewr game have better fps when the map is 100x smaller and you cant snipe someone from 2.5 km away. With the map full of AI to process on a gigantic map. Dont be stupid and compare a little BF map of couple meter to a whole living world. Sure arma coulod be better optimised, but no other game is offering what we have with arma 3 and no with 10 of dlc after or whatnot Expand
  68. Sep 12, 2013
    Compare to the other games, with the right players it can achieve more, we don't need call of duty fans
    to play this game and say, "Omg this game sux ballz, i cnt run faster, i cant shoot anything omg"
    so, if you hate a Real and intense game play don't buy this game, it need communication and team work,
    which simply no kid in cod has ever done before
  69. Sep 15, 2013
    Great game and a huge step up from Arma 2 good work Bohemia Interactive. Multiplier is were this game shines but the powerful editor is just as good. I don't know why some people are going out about no campaign just make your own and they've already said they will add it in the future. In conclusion there's still things to improve on of course and I wish this game was in the modern era not the future, but the core game is excellent. Highly recommended for realistic military war buffs. Expand
  70. Oct 27, 2014
    Medicore. That's all I can write. Final release is still full of bugs. Campaing is very interesting and much bettern than in Arma 2. Interface weird just as it was in Arma 2.
  71. Sep 23, 2013
    So much wasted potent. It's obvious that BIS intended ARMA 3 to be more of a platform for the community than a game. But without solid content on its own, it won't draw many new comers and the higher system requirement will prevent some ARMA2 community from transitioning. As a result, ARMA 3 will be slow going. 0 as it is now. Potentially a 8 or 9 a year or two down the road, when contents are there and the price drops. Expand
  72. Nov 18, 2013
    An amazing game which vastly improves the ArmA franchise. Although the optimizations are a bit patchy, and the game having a few strange bugs, it is significantly better than ArmA II. The new movement system, animations, weaponry, sounds, textures, lighting are amazing. The only problems I have with it is the difficult to use mission editor and the lack of hardcore, militaristic servers. It is a game that you can mess around with, and go scuba diving with your friends in, but at the same time one where you can be super serious and help be part of an invasion to liberate an island from tyrannical forces. Everything about it is better than ArmA 2, apart from the lack of community. Expand
  73. Sep 12, 2013
    Unfinished product, bugs, poor performance with hi end PC, Arma 3 is a promise of something, but they take money for a promise, not fair. A lot of missing contents for the most disappointing game of the year.
  74. Sep 19, 2013
    Gotta give this a 8 for the game editor, so I can play OFFLINE WITH BOTS! So many games are missing this feature these days, it even have lan which is great. Also campaign dlc s are coming for free so people should chill a little for now.
  75. Sep 15, 2013
    In the beta, this game had a massive amount of potential, but it seems to have lots its way during that time. It is still ridden with bugs, but I imagine they will be polished over time. The content (though there may not be much) seems to lack that 'pizazz' that the second game had. This is still very early on, however, and still has a great potential. I am looking forward to seeing what this game will offer in the future. Expand
  76. Nov 3, 2013
    WARNING: HONEST REVIEW

Arma 3 is one of the biggest titles in 2013 offering large play areas and realistic gameplay on a massive scale. Unfortunately, there are so many issues with this game right now it is almost impossible to give it a better rating than 4/10. While this game is indeed a large step forward in the Arma series, it is also a large piece of disappointment. Let me skip
    straight to the point.

Pros:
    - Large scale, large play area
    - Great graphics (with the exception of some smoke/fire effects)
    - Greatly improved radio chatter over it's predecessor
    - AI behaves slightly better than in it's predecessor
    - Greatly improved campaign (over it's predecessor)
    - Realistic engagement distances
    - Some weapon customization
    - UI improvements
    - Great editor (as usual with Arma games)

Cons:
    - Large scale (wait, what? see below)
    - Terrible performance the game engine does not feel right for this kind of game Arma 3 promises large scale war however the game engine cannot handle anything near large scale, a simple scenario of a firefight between 10 squads of infantry (5 squads each side) in a town results in less than 24-32 FPS on a i7-4770/GTX Titan system (perhaps we will be able to run this game properly in 10 years, I believe Vertical Sync option was implemented just to troll people because nobody can run it)
    - Lack of content compared to it's predecessor
    - No campaign on release
    - Similar engine issues as with previous Arma games (bad collisions, AI can walk through walls, AI cannot drive vehicles properly and so on)
    - The environment is rather boring, houses have no furniture (I realize furniture can be added via the editor however there is even no module/script that will auto populate houses with furniture and adding it manually is PITA)

It feels as if this game has great potential however at it's current state it is barely playable. Do not expect much from this game. Being an Arma player I still do enjoy this game however I am quite disappointed.

NOTE: I have tried improving the game's performance by doodling with the graphics drivers and settings however no matter what settings I put, this game will still perform very poorly.
  77. Sep 12, 2013
    This is the true successor to the original operation flashpoint games, as such players should not expect a "twitchy" shooter within this game this is a real combat simulator. You need to tread carefully or you *will* die! The movement and weapons handling feels authentic, the vehicles not as much, but they're still a fun and awesome feature of the game. The strength lies in the moddability of the game, there are already survival mods and sandbox servers. The game runs fine on my system and the multiplayer was quite solid during the beta. If you want to feel the excitement where you are constantly on your toes as any bad move could be your last, then get this game now. There modding content alone make the game worth its price. Expand
  78. Sep 14, 2013
    First of all lets be clear user generated content is user generated content which can be horrible quality or great, but very short. That content is ADDITIONAL content. Not the main content.

This being sad Arma 3 doesn't have any SP/COOP content. On launch day there is no campaign (probably will be added later on in episodic (arma 3 is now episodic game...)). "Showcases" is a few
    missions and that's about it. Pretty much what can save this game is DayZ, Wasteland and if users will feel like doing so some missions. From what I've played only 3 of 15 missions were seriously good. The rest are bleh. That's a major issue with this game. I'd say HUGE issue.

Problem #2. Their big island Altis and optimization. It seems that no matter how good your PC is optimization for that region in particular is non-existent. Because of that all users' missions were very close to being unplayable for me without setting graphics to carbon boxes level. I thought that with all those operations flashpoints and previous armas developers can finally learn to optimize their games for "current gen PC hardware". Not to that illusive date in the future where there will be Arma 6 or something and when people will finally be able to play arma 3 without framerates issues.

Overall atmosphere gameplay in general. Even I (fat guy) can run longer distance before starting seeing world through blood lens... are those guys in the game soldiers or what? It take 3-5 seconds of running and than bam! Your guy is tired and here comes heavy breathing and blood lens (sort of speak)... as for weapons and sounds they sound absolutely the same as any other arma or OFP I remember. Absolutely nothing new here. Problem is game suppose to take place in the near future (2030 or something like that)... what's the point of making military game in the future where everything is the same? Where are guns which allow you to shoot from corners without looking/leaning? Where is that rubber ball with controllable camera which police and maybe military are using now to check out what's going on in a room? Where are good gadgets?

Now lets go over good things. Graphics is actually pretty nice if you're playing on a small island with graphics on high level. Those graphics are nice! No doubt about it. Another cool thing combat stances. But lets be honest pretty much every casual non-hardcore-arma-fan is going to use Z, X buttons to change stance. So for those who can heavily increase sales of the game that feature is pointless. One user created mission Dynamic War System should go as a part of arma 3 default package! It is the only thing that can save consumers who love sp/coop content in a game. Bohemia had to stop doing their "campaign" and help that guy to increase quality of that mission. Aaaand to be honest I can't say I like anything else in the game.
  79. Sep 14, 2013
    This is ridiculous, most of the critics have no place to even review this title as they are evidently clueless about this particular title. If you criticize Arma for its "lack of content", then you have no idea what you're reviewing, the Arma series has survived since its first game almost a decade ago, never because of it's "rich content"? It's the incredible platform it brings that allows the extremely active and dedicated community to work on, the fact that DayZ was an example to show how it revived the sales of a 3-4 year old game back up to the top of the steam sales supports that. ARMA 3, for anyone who knows the series, is a giant leap, in performance, in graphics, and in game mechanics. Now it's up to the community, like they did with Arma 2, to bring its full potential, I for one am happy to be part of it, and am patiently waiting for more, both from Bohemia and the modders.

Frankly, I don't even want to see this title on Metacritic, it has no place here to be reviewed by people who clearly don't have a clue. Far too many people expect the fluidity of Battlefield only to find themselves in a completely different realm, while DayZ brought the series to the light of the mainstream, which can only be a good thing as Bohemia evidently used extra profit and poured it into this new title, it has also brought in a lot of bad apples into the community, expecting the wrong things, demanding the wrong things, and criticizing it for not delivering. Review this for what it is, not impose your unrealistic expectation based on other titles onto this.
  80. Sep 12, 2013
    First of all: the actual score is only to compensate for the blind fanboys who are giving this game a 10. Not in their wildest dreams is this game deserving of a perfect score. In fact, a reasonable score would be something in the 3 to 5 range.

Full disclosure: I bought the game when the alpha was first released. Not only that: I got the "Supporter Edition", which is supposed to get be
    every bit of content, including future paid DLC. I even got my name in the credits for being one of the first 500 to buy it!

Since then, not much has improved. This is basically an unfinished game... according to "Dwarden", one of the developers who constantly posts on the Steam Community Discussions for ARMA 3, Bohemia Interactive's games are like "wine", and they get bette over time. Well... months have passed, and I still see something that shouldn't be considered a full release. This is still an early alpha build, at best.

The game lacks content. There are few vehicles and they all look pretty much alike. The game is also supposed to take place in the 2030s, and the only available jet looks like it came straight out of the 1970s.

The sound effects and voice acting is awful and not realistic at all, even though this is promoted as a "simulator" rather than an actual game.

The interface is terrible and not intuitive at all. Perhaps one of the worst aspects of the game. It's really something you have to see for yourself... on gameplay videos, that is. You'd be shocked by how bad it is.

Altis, the "huge open-world" environment of the game, is a dead, uninteresting place. Towns all look the same. Houses have no furniture. The few inhabitants are all in beach clothing for some reason (do people actually work in Altis?). It makes you wonder why there's a military conflict to take control of the island in the first place.

The poor optimization of the game deserves an essay of its own. Really, it's baffling how at this day and age something like this can be accepted by the gaming community. The game runs HORRIBLY on the most high-end PCs out there, no matter how low the settings are. Arma 3's shortcomings on this regard are well documented. Just Google "Arma 3" and "FPS". The game uses an ancient engine that despite being incredibly heavy doesn't even manage to make the game look as good as something like Crysis 3, Battlefield 3, The Witcher 2, Metro: Last Light, etc..

Things get worse when you go online. You'll get about a third of the framerates you get in "single-player".

Oh yes, and I added quotes to "single-player" because... there's no actual single-player campaign yet. Just a bunch of showcases (small demos) that were there from day 1 of the alpha.

So what are you left with in this "fantastic" military simulator, since multi-player is pretty much unplayable? Well... load up the map editor and die of boredom.

It's as if Bohemia Interactice is asking the community to save this train wreck with custom scenarios and the like. Why? because Bohemia Interactive failed at releasing a proper game.

Of course, they don't lack excuses. "Part of the development team was in jail for some time". "Bohemia isn't as big as EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Valve, etc.". "The game will get better". Just to name a few.

Well I don't care. If you're ambitious enough to release what's supposed to be "a futuristic military simulator in a huge open-world environment", that game better deliver. Especially when you're charging the same for it as those other companies charge for their well-polished games.

Anyway, that's my rant. Don't make the same mistake I made. This game is not worth your money, or more importantly, your time.
  81. Sep 26, 2013
    Gameplay is brilliant. The options are limitless, its a very complex game which takes military FPS and converts it into the most real experience a game can get you into. It has everything, from complete infantry movement, to vehicle driving, helicopter flying, tactical gameplay, action gameplay, diving missions, sniper missions, support calling etc. You can choose from various roles, like AT soldier, rifleman, squad leader, combat medic, and so on, and explore in multiple ways each one. Its impossible to describe the complete experience on a review.

Graphics, I dont have to go into any detail here, they are simply gorgeous. I run with a AMD 9750. You can tweak the graphics to fit your current graphics card also. When running on ultra, I uploaded some screens on my G+ account, and some friends thought the pics were real, until they gave a closer look. Honetly, this game brings up the power of PC gaming.

Content. Many people review this game as bad, because it does not have content. My response to that is that they are lazy as hell. You just need to open up the steam workshop and shuffle though the hundreds and maybe thousands in a couple of months, of user created content. Missions ranging from singleplayer, coop, multiplayer, infantry, vehicle, flying missions, diving missions, combined tactics, sandbox missions, etc etc etc etc. As I said before, cant explain the wide array of options in a single review.

Conclusion. If you are looking for your typical FPS, dont buy it. You will just be disappointed. If you are lazy, or you dont understand how a tactical game is played, or dont have the time/energy to invest into learning how to play (very steep learning curve here guys), then just dont. But if you are looking for a the best military, tactical experience, then give it a try.
  82. Nov 3, 2013
    I am marking my score 9, not how it is but its potential. For ArmA game people should have expected not alot of content from the start

PROS
    Great Graphics
    Very Nice Realism
    Huge Landscapes
    Variety of gamemodes, Scenarios, Missions

CONS
    Not all missions etc are here yet
    Clunky Controls
    Buggy
  83. Sep 15, 2013
    Awesome,simply the ultimate military simulation.
    Fantastic graphics and visual and pure realism.
    Incredible weapons feedback and perfect accuracy of balistic and physical.
  84. Sep 24, 2013
    Potential buyers please read: This is not Battlefield. This is not CoD. If you're looking for an arcade shoot-em-up you will be disappointed. If you cannot flank a position or take cover quickly, you're gonna have a bad time. This is the ARMA engine. It has bugs. It's always had bugs. Don't expect some grand, cinematic campaign either, as this game is a sandbox made for modding first and foremost.

Sorry had to get that out of the way
    Improvement on the arma 2 engine, it feels a lot smoother. Great gunplay and awesome tactical situations. These games seriously ruined all other shooters for me. Modding community is awesome, and it's only gonna get bigger. Altis Life and DUWS is what I'm playin right now. Can't really rate the base game, because I'll play the campaign once and then put 120 hours into various mods. So I'll give a 9/10 for the hours of entertainment I'm getting
  85. Oct 12, 2013
    Is this a bad game? No far from it, Arma 3 does improve on a lot of things from the previous Arma. The gear interface is much easier to use and the HUD is a lot less clunky than it used to be. The game is a visual treat for a game of it's size but of course it does have it's cons that make me not want to play it. For instance: Where did the large arsenal of vehicles go? The small amount of vehicles in a game so large is a massive blow as variation is key to making a good game. However, the guns in Arma 3 are much more diverse and it does take a bit of use to find your "golden gun." The UAV system is nice, I like it a lot more than the ones in ARMA 2. But the thing I feel that lets this game down is the lack of campaign mode, and that most of the most popular game modes online are mods, which doesn't say much about Bohemia Interactive's skill to make fun game modes. Overall I give this game a 7 because there are some faults still in it that need ironing out but other than that the game is actually pretty cool. Expand
  86. Sep 18, 2013
    I'd like this game. I don't understand why so many guys make negative reviews to this game. The game is very realistic and just awesome. We got traditional ARMA, but in new box, and its really awesome. Guys, who saying, that optimization is bad didnt played in ARMA 2, because there optimisation was much worse. So, i can recomend this game you, if you arent COD-child. If you dont welcome to battle. Expand
  87. Dec 1, 2013
    Bethesda has always said this would have delayed-single player content due to the Greek imprisonment issue seriously harming their scheduled. So it's amazing to me that people bash the game over its absence on launch.

Pros:

ArmA III has seen its engine refined to near perfection, and has incorporated many improvements such as underwater environments, updated mission editor, radio
    range,weapon, attire, and item customization, ballistic penetration tables, and so much more.

Graphics 8/10
    AI 9/10
    Sound 10/10
    Ballistics- 7/10
    Aesthetics- 9/10
    World size 10/10

Cons:

The problems with ArmA III can be summed up with three things. Balance, lack of content, and slight casual changes. While still nothing as bad as games like RomeII, ArmA III does introduce things such as everyone being able to administer treatment as well as medics, slightly increased reloading speeds, and a few other minor yet noticeable things. For a simulation this is a very bad direction to go toward, but they are also not profound changes and in the end very minor. Balance issues are a problem however, with the underpowered 6.5 and 5.56 sized rounds offering no benefit against the larger 7.62, while also taking several more rounds to kill. This is a serious problem for infantry combat and has really dictated what people use in multiplayer.

Balance: 4/10
    Casual change
    Lack of content (discounting single player)

Overall its a great game, far superior to games like CoD and battlefield. It's worth every Dollar, Euro, or Pound of its purchase price.
  88. Sep 20, 2013
    power of arma is in modding and community, it is improved a lot since previous titles and BIS will support its development further, i'm not an average player and can be considered ofp/arma fanboi and arma2 is the only game i've played regularly at least once a week for the last 6 years and i will continue to play in arma3 no doubt, it's not the game for everyone, most of the people should by bf4 instead Expand
  89. Sep 13, 2013
    Great gameplay, very realistic and fine game mechanics. Arma 3 absolutely stands out from other shooters because it is actually looks like real life warfare.
  90. Oct 25, 2013
    Arma 3 is a huge step up from Arma 2, and Arma 2 was a fine game.

The negative reviews focus on lack of content at launch a situation that will undoubtedly improve as BIS release 3 FREE DLCs shortly after release to rectify this. The massive amount of player made content is also ignored in these reviews, with over 1500 player made missions before it had even gone gold, and a community
    that has been around since 2001's Operation Flashpoint happily churning out new islands, vehicles, weapons, missions and oodles of other content.
    To say that the game is lacking content from an alpha/beta build is like moving into a house before it is completed and complaining about getting wet from rain because you don't have a roof yet.
    The Arma series have always been about player modding, and there will be literally thousands of player mods coming that will transform the game into pretty much anything you desire.
    Consider also that BIS still release patches for Operation Flashpoint, a game from 2001 so dev support is second to none.

My advice is to ignore the naysayers and give it a go it will reward you with a vast sandbox that will never run out of steam.
  91. Oct 12, 2013
    arma 3 for me is the best in the series.great graphics better animations huge terain and better still far better optimised than the two arma games before it,sure its lacking content but as with all arma games that will come in time and with the campaign just around the corner plus steam workshop there is so much fun to be had by this game
  92. Dec 2, 2013
    This game is exceptional. Incredible graphics, astounding from an operational standpoint and so far, the best single player campaign Bohemia has had. There were some issues, initially, but this is a company that listens to their customers and they fixed many of the initial glitches and problems and continue to do so. This is the most realistic shooter available as far as I know and it is difficult.
    This game is NOT for the run and gun Cod fans! It takes an investment of time to become proficient, but when you do, it is damn enjoyable. The mission editor is also very easy to use and great fun.
  93. Apr 26, 2014
    Pros: Insanely very very huge terrain Great graphics User community produces good downloadable missions Good community mods avaliable Very detailed combat equipments Unique enviroment Very real life combat experiense, its a genuine simulator Cons: Its a incomplete game, lot of resources from Arma II still pending Development are too slow paced Dumb AI Lack of official steam missions and content, the ones there are garbage!
    Some bugs
    High price
    Lack of OFFICIAL servers
  94. May 14, 2014
    Arma Series is getting better and better. This game is a hardcore sandbox simulator, and, since not many people have either brains or time to play this fantastic game, they give it very bad scores. As a software engineer, I understand how hard it is to make a game like this one, where almost nothing in the game is scripted and every object within the 200 square kilometers map is persistent! Thank you Bohemia! Expand
  95. Jan 25, 2014
    Gameplay: The engine is a big step up over ArmA 2. Things like the adjustable stances, dynamic fog, physics and underwater terrain add tons of possibilities in the game.
    Setting: This is one of my major problems with the game. Sci-fi and simulation don't mix well. While I know that everything in the game is possible, the fact remains that most vehicles and weapons are pure speculation.
    The equipment not being used in present day armed forces partly kills the immersion for me. Hopefully ACE mod will fix this.
    SP content: The campaign (so far) is awesome. BI managed to improve the storytelling and the gameplay as well as the realism.
    MP: performance in MP can be horrible, depending on the gametype and server. I don't often find populated servers with interesting gametypes, as there only seem to be 2 popular gametypes on public servers.
  96. Feb 25, 2014
    TL;DR: This is alpha quality work at a final version price. BIS maintains that this game is like "fine wine" that "ages well" when actually it's more like cheap wine that you need to take home and mix with fruit juice and a pound of sugar to be in any way drinkable. Arma 3 is yet another great concept that in practice is totally undermined and destroyed by what is either laziness or incompetence from the developers. Wait a year from now. Maybe the modders will fix this lazy incompetent mess and Arma 3 will be a playable game like Arma 2. Until then, just play Arma 2

A lot of people lead reviews by saying this game "has potential"... which is a really polite way of admitting that, right now, it absolutely sucks. It also does not reflect well on the game or on segments of its fanbase that well-deserved criticism is met with accusations of being a "Call of Duty" fan or a console kiddy or other supposed slurs on the critic's intelligence. I've been playing this series since Flashpoint and y'know, it's always been bug-ridden, poorly implemented, and heavily dependent on its modders to even be playable- BUT the series has been just good enough to be worth the aggravation and massive time-sink necessary to make it work... until now.

The AI is horrible. For a game that involves realism in combat, where damage is more realistic and is dependent on squad tactics, the AI NEEDS to be competent if not excellent. Instead, the AI is incapable of navigating the terrain without getting stuck, incapable of responding effectively to fire and totally lost inside of buildings - no, literally, lost inside. God help you if your AI decides to use a grenade because he'll just kill himself.

The "Action menu" is STILL in the game and has been combined with environmental add actions that are even worse than in previous games. Face a door and click the action menu key... now watch as you transition to your handgun instead of opening the door because the action triggers are inconsistently placed by an incompetent dev team. This has been a major problem since OFP and it's actually worse now.

You will lose many many many games, not because you made a mistake or were unlucky, or for legit gameplay reasons, but because the AI is totally- and I mean totally- incapable of doing what the game *depends* on it to do.

The devs have taken to claiming ARMA 3 is a "toolbox" (when they're not insisting it's a game not a simulation- or conversely, that it's actually a simulation not a game- what they call their game depends on which set of their errors you're pointing out) in defense of it lacking a campaign. Fine. But what you get for "tools" is laughable- there's a handful of armor, vehicles and equipment, but it's basically just re-skinned copy-and-pastes between factions. Basically everyone shares assets with superficial cammo differences.

Did you think ARMA 2 had bad optimization? Well, the dev team topped itself with ARMA 3 being even clunkier, slower and more bloated. Seriously, everything about this game/simulation when it comes to optimization looks like a rough draft of code rather than a finished product. It will slam even high-end machines to a halt because of poor usage routines, bad scripting, and other lazy shortcuts.

What about mods? Well the modding community is a brilliant one, we've got some really really good people who really should get credit for making ARMA remotely popular (or playable). But BIS is depending on modders, not to expand the game, but basically to make the game WORK. No matter how good the mod team is, it's still less efficient and effective to try to fix a broken AI with an addon as opposed to fixing the core code. BIS is content to be lazy and coast on its unpaid modders, but there's only a handful of people who work on AI/game core issues (a lot work on maps and missions, but core realism/errors are another matter) and they seem pretty tired of doing this stuff. It's also a pretty sh*t thing for BIS to do, to release a full priced game with barely any content, crappy optimization, an outdated engine and terrible AI- but then expect the modders to bail them out of trouble. Well... maybe it ain't gonna happen this time. Hell, maybe they can't pull it off this time, even if they want to.
  97. Apr 17, 2014
    To people who gives 0 Points for the game: You can compare games with **** if there is a much better alternative, but wait... this series is still unique after over 10 years of sandbox simulation shooter. Be fair, if you dont like the genre than dont rate 0 for it. Why 8 points ?: Unforgettable multiplayer/coop game experience. Lot of community content. 3 compaigns. Why not 10 ? : bad multiplayer frames performance and still unhandy controls. Expand
  98. May 30, 2014
    Great graphics, interesting gameplay, authentic ambience and realistic sound. There are some flaws (lack of content, bugs), but they can't make this game bad. If you are an OFP veteran - ARMA 3 is worth buying.
  99. Jul 21, 2014
    Trust the negative reviews, folks. Have a look at the profiles of the 10/10 reviewers and you'll see that the majority of them are fresh accounts. So either they're total nubs, or worse...
  100. Sep 25, 2013
    Arma is not for everyone which is perhaps why most reviewers settle for an uncompromising 7/10. There's really nothing like it though and while currently modest in content A3 is otherwise a pretty solid entry. It can only get better so I give an optimistic 9.

1. Mar 26, 2014
    There's something about Bohemia's world-building that inspires people. Importantly though, Arma 3's vanilla content now stands on equal footing with those third-party inspirations. It's still a little rough around the edges, but it's a darned impressive package nonetheless.
  2. Nov 22, 2013
    Arma 3 seems to have a lot to offer in terms of multiplayer, but still not so much for the player looking to the single player experience.
  3. Oct 31, 2013
    With Arma 3, Bohemia made a big step towards a unified platform for its military shooters, but at the same time took two steps back in regards to actual game content. Only the most hardcore fans will enjoy Arma 3 in its current form.