7.3

1. Sep 12, 2013
    First of all: the actual score is only to compensate for the blind fanboys who are giving this game a 10. Not in their wildest dreams is this game deserving of a perfect score. In fact, a reasonable score would be something in the 3 to 5 range.

Full disclosure: I bought the game when the alpha was first released. Not only that: I got the "Supporter Edition", which is supposed to get be
    every bit of content, including future paid DLC. I even got my name in the credits for being one of the first 500 to buy it!

Since then, not much has improved. This is basically an unfinished game... according to "Dwarden", one of the developers who constantly posts on the Steam Community Discussions for ARMA 3, Bohemia Interactive's games are like "wine", and they get bette over time. Well... months have passed, and I still see something that shouldn't be considered a full release. This is still an early alpha build, at best.

The game lacks content. There are few vehicles and they all look pretty much alike. The game is also supposed to take place in the 2030s, and the only available jet looks like it came straight out of the 1970s.

The sound effects and voice acting is awful and not realistic at all, even though this is promoted as a "simulator" rather than an actual game.

The interface is terrible and not intuitive at all. Perhaps one of the worst aspects of the game. It's really something you have to see for yourself... on gameplay videos, that is. You'd be shocked by how bad it is.

Altis, the "huge open-world" environment of the game, is a dead, uninteresting place. Towns all look the same. Houses have no furniture. The few inhabitants are all in beach clothing for some reason (do people actually work in Altis?). It makes you wonder why there's a military conflict to take control of the island in the first place.

The poor optimization of the game deserves an essay of its own. Really, it's baffling how at this day and age something like this can be accepted by the gaming community. The game runs HORRIBLY on the most high-end PCs out there, no matter how low the settings are. Arma 3's shortcomings on this regard are well documented. Just Google "Arma 3" and "FPS". The game uses an ancient engine that despite being incredibly heavy doesn't even manage to make the game look as good as something like Crysis 3, Battlefield 3, The Witcher 2, Metro: Last Light, etc..

Things get worse when you go online. You'll get about a third of the framerates you get in "single-player".

Oh yes, and I added quotes to "single-player" because... there's no actual single-player campaign yet. Just a bunch of showcases (small demos) that were there from day 1 of the alpha.

So what are you left with in this "fantastic" military simulator, since multi-player is pretty much unplayable? Well... load up the map editor and die of boredom.

It's as if Bohemia Interactice is asking the community to save this train wreck with custom scenarios and the like. Why? because Bohemia Interactive failed at releasing a proper game.

Of course, they don't lack excuses. "Part of the development team was in jail for some time". "Bohemia isn't as big as EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Valve, etc.". "The game will get better". Just to name a few.

Well I don't care. If you're ambitious enough to release what's supposed to be "a futuristic military simulator in a huge open-world environment", that game better deliver. Especially when you're charging the same for it as those other companies charge for their well-polished games.

Anyway, that's my rant. Don't make the same mistake I made. This game is not worth your money, or more importantly, your time.
  2. Sep 14, 2013
    ArmA 3 has a great premise and pulls some things off well like better player movement, better graphics and PhysX support. In this case However the cons outweigh the pro's.

The lack of optimization to the game is really showing in the third iteration. The constant stuttering and chugging because the game demands more memory that the 32 bit architecture just can't give, The terrible
    hardware utilization of the engine, expecting users to have 10ghz single core CPU's to counter act the aging Real Virtuality engine's lack of proper multi threading and parallel processing and the general buggyness of the overall game. Lack of content and the copy and pasted content that is there leads to ArmA 3 feeling like it was rushed out the door rather than released on time and in a better state than past ArmA games. The lack of a campaign at launch just further signifies how far Bohemia Interactive is on development of ArmA 3. While Bohemia Interactive is known for supporting their games far after launch, One has to wonder exactly how long they can afford to support ArmA 3 with all of the core issue's that it has before DLC's are needed to boost revenue.

I would recommend this game only to the hardcore ArmA player who can overlook the shortcomings and the bugs that once again plague an ArmA release. While there are definite improvements in some areas of the game, they are too few and far between to make up for the lack of quality in aesthetics and overall content, the terrible performance of the game and the overall incomplete feel and buggy state that it is in.

Now with the recent announcement of paid for mod content, it seems that Bohemia Interactive is looking for the easy way out via the community. For a game that they say wishes to rely on the community for most of it's content rather than developer made assets, making an announcement for then charging for those mods is something of a slap in the face. I have rescinded my previous score of a 5 and given it a 3, which I feel is befitting of both the quality of the game and reflective of the developers present choices.
  3. Sep 13, 2013
    No content, poorly optimized, multiplayer has sync issues and 9 out of 10 servers suck, it takes so long to find a good game. Just not impressed, it's basically an engine without any game...
  4. Sep 12, 2013
    I've never given a review less than a score of 4, but for this i have to. The main issue is complete lack of optimization. I have access to many computers, since i build and sell them. So far i have tried, 11 different machines, all varying in performance, from the very bottom end, to the very top end. The performance issue's with this game are horrific. Usually that wouldn't justify a score of 2, yet one of the main contributors is that BiS have had no-end of complaints about FPS problems back with Arma 2!, not to mention the endless amount of threads created in the beta.

It's just incredibly lazy.
    IMO, the first and foremost priority is making a game run well across many machine variants.
    This is pretty much a complete joke, especially with the amount of warning they had.

The realism factor and the feeling that you are actually 'there' has disapeared with all the guns/vehicles being 'made up'.

The weapon sounds are very weak and dont really sound like actual guns.
    This was an issue with arma 2 as well until you used JSRS mod or the like.

BiS prize themselves with their huge map they created, 'Altis'
    It is massive.
    However, 75% of it is completely flat.
    There is no forest areas, very little cover and very little variation.
    The whole 'greek island' feel to it is very wrong.
    Chernarus was a much more realistic and dense fighting area.

i've had all the arma's and must say im most disapointed with this one.
    The developers just didn't listen or prioritize.
  5. Sep 12, 2013
    I brought ArmA during the Alpha, did not see any single player campaign, waited for the beta, did not see any single player campaign. Thought hay it will appear on release day... Nope... no single player game. Apparantly BI are going to do all us Single player fans a massive favour and release it in 3 FREE DLCS the first of which will be ready in October....Single player has clearly stopped being important enough to consider for the release version, its now a DLC. BI, I have a message for you..."By the time you see the cash.. it will already be too late for Arma 3"... My first ever ZERO vote since a menu saying coming soon offers no gameplay at all.... Well done... Expand
  6. Sep 12, 2013
    Poor optimization. Most of the vehicles are the same for every faction with minor differences. Only 1 jet in the game and its on the Independent faction... You would think Bluefor would get at least one jet at launch... but its not like you can even use the jet on Altis because of the insane fps drop while flying. I get 50-60 fps in editor but as soon as i join multiplayer i get about 20-30 fps.
  7. Sep 12, 2013
    I got operation flashpoint cold war crisis when i was about 14 for Christmas and it is in my top 10 favourite games ever. In my opinion opflash resistance has some of the best written story and poignant characters in gaming, it certainty rises above what is expected of the genre (its sad how under appreciated it is). it was a moving story about sacrifice and defiance. It just shows how war games have shifted towards multiplayer with single player becoming an after thought. Not only did the campaign get delayed but i can't even see any single player missions. what, do you expect the community to make them for you?

Altis is a boring featureless barren wasteland. Its arid and sparse. It has no picturesque rivers, ravines, forests, hills, mountains. I guess choosing a Mediterranean setting made this inevitable, but then why choose it? If they didn't want to make another eastern European forest environment, then what about a jungle location like in Indonesia or south america. At least that way the map wouldn't drive me to tears at how boring and flat it is. I can fly a helicopter at an altitude of around 15-25 across the map without even having to gain altitude, that is how flat altis is

In the editor i still can't see any fixed wing aircraft. Now I'm sure that this will be resolved quickly, but it got RELEASED ie came out of beta and just like the campaign, its not there! Bohemia, if the game wasn't ready then you should have kept it in beta, if only for symbolic reasons.

so then what exactly did i get for my £29.99. I basically got a platform, a framework that hopefully the glorious arma community will flesh out with custom maps, mods, addons etc. But then i could have just stuck to arma 2 which already has these things, and i would have saved my money. arma 3 is unfinished yet is apparently released, its graphics are virtually the same as arma 2, except with an uninteresting setting. Arma 3 achieves nothing that couldn't be done in arma 2, and so will only serve to split the community. It wounds me to write such a negative review because cold war crisis and arma 2 are some of my favorite games.
  8. Sep 16, 2013
    While there are a few areas where the series took a step forward, graphics and physics, there are many areas where the game is just not finished or even took a step back. My first problem is the map. While the map is huge, it doesn't seem to have the character of Chernarus and it doesn't feel like a place where you should be fighting a war. I realize that BI wanted to showcase new features with water, but I just think it's kind of strange to be fighting on a Greek island. There's just something about those post-Soviet states that just makes it feel like you should be fighting there. The next problem is just the overall lack of attention to detail. A great example of this is the Xbox 360 control scheme that is on the game. While you can edit the scheme by basically disconnecting the controller and putting it back in as a generic one, you would expect that the scheme that the developers made would be pretty good. Unfortunately that is not the case. Flying or driving vehicles can be very interesting with this control scheme. somehow I don't think the helicopter is supposed to shoot whenever you turn left and vice versa, but it does. Also, I just feel that they could have waiting until the single player campaign was finished to release the game. People would have waited. Releasing it without one has just made people angry. Another rather puzzling element is the lack of jets in the game (except for one that's from like the 60's). I was looking forward to some awesome air battles above the terrain (which is beautiful from above), but unfortunately there are no jets for the NATO or Russian factions. Another common complaint is the framerate issue. I haven't been having those problems and in my opinion that is more of a computer issue than a game issue. I do realize that they post the hardware requirements that the game needs to run, but those are MINIMUM requirements and you shouldn't expect it to run perfectly on the lowest settings. When you buy this game you should know you need something a little more powerful to run it and for it to perform well. I know that BI will improve this game over time, but I'm reviewing the game as it is now and unfortunately it just isn't very good at the moment. I will update my review as BI updates the game Expand
  9. Sep 13, 2013
    After all the hype and the excellence of ARMA 2 I couldn't wait to get my hands on ARMA 3. The game has progressed in a postive way, graphics, PhysX support, smoother gameplay (movement) and you can now actually swim! Though all this is let down by the fact that the game has no campaign and it is optimized worse than its predecessor. Simply unplayable at 20 FPS with low settings using a high-end gaming desktop. Expand
  10. Sep 12, 2013
    While BIS still hasn't lost the skills of crafting nice areas to fight in everything else in the game is sadly a letdown. All sides are basically the same, wielding similar weapons with a difference being as little as the same vehicle in different camos. And that's together with the amount of content being really poor compared to previous games in the series. A lot of gameplay features are either very simplified or simply gone. What's worse is that this time the release version of the game has no campaign at all and the singleplayer content is represented as showcases and challenges which are badly designed and simply not interesting to play. In addition to this many of years-old bugs aren't fixed still.

All in all simplifications and poor amount of content may appeal to new players/arcade shooter fans who do not have any expectations but ArmA vets should not expect to find an ArmA game here.
  11. Sep 13, 2013
    20 fps in multiplayer modes, despite having 80+ fps in singleplayer
    No campaign, you can only download and play custom missions made by fans
    A lot of bugs even after so many patches and testing
  12. Sep 12, 2013
    This game is no better than Arma II. To be more sad this game is even much worse than previous part. I bought in alpha stage so didn't loose too much money but this title is pure money waste!!
  13. Sep 14, 2013
    When this game looks, plays, and has the same amount of content as the alpha version for twice the price you have problems. Doesn't seem like this game was finished at all.
  14. Sep 12, 2013
    Ive been watching the developement since the start and all i could recall till this day were steps backwards. Steps backward in performance, AI, overall engine, almost everywhere.. It is still the same old bad performing arma engine. Especially when you are a top notch AMD user, stay away.. Clearly Intel was favourited here. The gunplay still has that clunk-ish feel to it and so on. I cant give it a higher score then 3, this is rather a big hit in the face to me. Expand
  15. Sep 12, 2013
    Unfinished product, bugs, poor performance with hi end PC, Arma 3 is a promise of something, but they take money for a promise, not fair. A lot of missing contents for the most disappointing game of the year.
  16. Sep 17, 2013
    No single player. That sums up Arma 3's position. It doesn't care about the single player experience. Not in the least. So you can take your single-player, solo gaming fool self on out of here. We don't want your business.
  17. Sep 13, 2013
    i played many year OFP... and i play Arma 2 from release. Why ppl get 50% FPS drop in mult just create mission in editor, everything is fine 60fps, put it to mult and create local and you will have 30FPS and drops wtf my point is why the past builds are better? with better graphics, psychics, effects, performance than release version Sounds in A3 are wierd too, try ToH sounds its made by same sound recordist, because this is not the game what i play in FOCUS test before 1 year this is one big crap. And making game with style CTRL+C/ CTRL+V is every unit with same turret etc. Greenforce is copy of ACR DLC to A2, amazing its pandur with different camo. and biggest question, why the is not here real unit names Merkava had turret in past, even on screens and Dwarden say its only showoff Where is awesome psychics for heli, cars etc. Where is awesome particle effects for MLRS, artillery etc. Why this game is worse than builds before one year, maybe more Expand
  18. Sep 16, 2013
    As it stands this isn't fit for release, it's a playable demo. This is exactly why I try games out before I buy them since if I'd paid money for this I'd be furious. There is NO campaign until it's released as free DLC. No single player campaign no reason to play so it scores 0/10 for being a 10gb install of big fat nothing.
  19. Sep 12, 2013
    This is just depressing, the game is almost unplayable thanks to the fact that they haven't fixed any bugs since the beta. If you're looking for a game with substance (and content they promised evryone) then don't get Arma 3, stick to arma 2.
  20. Sep 12, 2013
    Not a very solid release. Lack of content. Buggy. Seems almost identical to the beta. I had high hopes after previewing the alpha, beta phases, but I was disappointed to see the retail release was exactly the same as the beta.
  21. Sep 13, 2013
    Ok lets be honest here. The concept for this game is great. However the execution is awful. My main issue is awful FPS in multiplayer. We are talking 15-25 max in a multiplayer game, sometimes less. You ever try to aim at something with less than 20 FPS? Nearly impossible. I have logged over 500 hours since alpha came out and almost nothing has changed. Very buggy, some weird physics, and bad sound effects. Still feels like an alpha to me. This game could use another year in development. Seems like there was a lot of laziness and corner cutting. I would rather have a game like this delayed until it is really ready instead of a half assed "full release". Not a single piece of new content released with the full version. Very disappointing. Expand
  22. Sep 18, 2013
    I was really looking forward to this game but yeah... I am slightly happy but massively disappointed.
    1)It has good graphics but what on earth is going on with the optimization? I got Intel i5 3570k, 8gb of ram, a lot of free space on HDD and ATi 6950 SOC graphics card and I get average of 30-50 fps on minimum to standard graphics. Are you serious? I get on maxed out graphics average of
    20-30 fps. This is completely stupid.
    2)The amount of vehicles suck also there are not that many weapons.
    3) maps are rather boring. Nothing interesting.

Well yes it has good points to it like
    1)physics
    2)soldiers instantly drop to the ground when they get killed in arma 2 you shot ai in the head like 10 times and then it took another 10 secs for him to drop down to the ground)

0/10 disappointing game.
  23. Sep 14, 2013
    There's rarely ever any Australian servers. There's no single player campaign (at this stage, why even release the thing if there's no campaign yet?). It's very poorly optimised to the point where 25 fps is a blessing in multiplayer. Sync issues near constantly. Gunplay feels clunky and low-impact.

I truly can't recommend this as a finished product. Should've stayed in Beta imo.
  24. Sep 12, 2013
    Unfinished, various bugs, too heavy and too old engine. AI is worst than previous chapters, AI see you from behind so stealth approaching is almost impossible, Guns inflict ridiculous damage: when a target is hit it make a move as if hit by a small stone, it turn himself in your direction and shot in total ease. You need also 4 5 shoots for push off the target, most of the times he kill you first. AI is not able to use repairs also. They tend to run from point a to point b and vice versa, also in open field in the middle of a shooting. some times they go prone without a definite logic. there are four speeds and movements still to remain inaccurate in some situation (as in the buildings. this product seems a joke. a step backward on all sides. Expand
  25. Sep 17, 2013
    This would be a fun game... if it was playable.

So many angry customers on forums because you can't get more than 20-30fps with a gaming rig. This problem has persisted throughout closed beta yet the developers ignored it. It's a flaw with the arma engine, existing since the first arma.

All they did with this game was make it look pretty while keeping all the existing problems from
    previous games. It still does not have proper multicore support.

DO not support these developers and do not purchase the game. Stay far far away.
  26. Sep 14, 2013
    It's unfortunate that so much as said about how well ARMA 3 performed and in an early tech demo it was stated by the dev team that this game could be run on 1 nvidia 560ti (1gb) video card .....clearly this is not the case. The platform and the way certain aspects like animations work is fine, however the frame rate ruins the entire experience, When running on my test machine, AMD FX8350, 32 GB Ram, 256gb OCD SSD 560mbps, NvidiaGTX780 3gb I am lucky to get over 20fps on solo scenario missions, and frequently when playing with one other player co-op this dips to 10 frames on the larger Altis mate. Sound effects seem to be ok, and content of weapons etc is fine. half of the video settings don't seem to make much difference to frame rate whatsoever, and the Graphics card is showing 10% utilisation.

Overall a very poor expereince and as some others have said here already, Stick with Arma 2 until 2015 when bohemia has finally fixed majority of the bugs and actually hashed out the graphics
  27. Sep 14, 2013
    I don't know how someone can put a 10 to this game, It runs like rubbish on a GTX 690, FX 8150, 16gb ram, Win7 64bit and on a SSD, in singleplayer i get 17-30 fps and multiplayer 11-21fps its completely unplayable in this state, also changing setting from ultra to low made no change in frames what so ever.
  28. Sep 17, 2013
    This game is a total let down. People should not score this a 10 although it does have the potential to be a 10 if it had a more modern optimized engine, but that's just not the case. I've played this since alpha stage and its the same poor performance game on release as it is when it was an alpha. I followed the performance issues since the beginning and the devs all said ''were working on it'' but still to this day i get the same fps and poor performance since alpha 10-15 fps on multiplayer is unacceptable. The excuse all the fanboys say is arma is cpu intensive well arma may be cpu intensive but it doesnt use the cpu intensively at all 20% cpu usage and 5% gpu usage says otherwise. The whole point of alpha and beta is to fix all the bugs before release well bohemia released this broken game and i guess they plan on fixing it later. There's no single player campaign. Buy the game at your own risk but I hate to say I told you so after. Google Arma 3 poor fps and you'll see for yourself. This game had the potential to be the greatest game on the market but do to poor optimization, and poor management this game is a failure. This should still be in Alpha with all the issues this out of date engine has. Anyone that scores this a 10 is simply a fanboy or a dev. This game is garbage and should have never been released without more optimization or better yet and more up to date engine. Its a polished arma 2 that will take forever to run smoothly and when it does finally get optimized you'll be lucky to get 30 fps on multiplayer. Shame on you BIS.!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  29. Sep 14, 2013
    First of all lets be clear user generated content is user generated content which can be horrible quality or great, but very short. That content is ADDITIONAL content. Not the main content.

This being sad Arma 3 doesn't have any SP/COOP content. On launch day there is no campaign (probably will be added later on in episodic (arma 3 is now episodic game...)). "Showcases" is a few
    missions and that's about it. Pretty much what can save this game is DayZ, Wasteland and if users will feel like doing so some missions. From what I've played only 3 of 15 missions were seriously good. The rest are bleh. That's a major issue with this game. I'd say HUGE issue.

Problem #2. Their big island Altis and optimization. It seems that no matter how good your PC is optimization for that region in particular is non-existent. Because of that all users' missions were very close to being unplayable for me without setting graphics to carbon boxes level. I thought that with all those operations flashpoints and previous armas developers can finally learn to optimize their games for "current gen PC hardware". Not to that illusive date in the future where there will be Arma 6 or something and when people will finally be able to play arma 3 without framerates issues.

Overall atmosphere gameplay in general. Even I (fat guy) can run longer distance before starting seeing world through blood lens... are those guys in the game soldiers or what? It take 3-5 seconds of running and than bam! Your guy is tired and here comes heavy breathing and blood lens (sort of speak)... as for weapons and sounds they sound absolutely the same as any other arma or OFP I remember. Absolutely nothing new here. Problem is game suppose to take place in the near future (2030 or something like that)... what's the point of making military game in the future where everything is the same? Where are guns which allow you to shoot from corners without looking/leaning? Where is that rubber ball with controllable camera which police and maybe military are using now to check out what's going on in a room? Where are good gadgets?

Now lets go over good things. Graphics is actually pretty nice if you're playing on a small island with graphics on high level. Those graphics are nice! No doubt about it. Another cool thing combat stances. But lets be honest pretty much every casual non-hardcore-arma-fan is going to use Z, X buttons to change stance. So for those who can heavily increase sales of the game that feature is pointless. One user created mission Dynamic War System should go as a part of arma 3 default package! It is the only thing that can save consumers who love sp/coop content in a game. Bohemia had to stop doing their "campaign" and help that guy to increase quality of that mission. Aaaand to be honest I can't say I like anything else in the game.
  30. Sep 22, 2013
    Pros:
    I will give the game a 1 for the actual idea of such a large sandbox arena for combat.
    Cons:
    Everything else but the idea.. it just lacks on sooo many levels since the early days. Yet I am still a fan.. but when you have noticed through the years that it is not getting any better.. excuses get old.. and so has this series.
  31. Sep 12, 2013

It's just incredibly lazy.

The weapon sounds are very weak and dont really sound like actual guns.
    This was an issue with arma 2 as well until you used JSRS mod or the like.

BiS prize themselves with their huge map they created, 'Altis'
    It is massive.
    However, 75% of it is completely flat.
    There is no forest areas, very little cover and very little variation.
    The whole 'greek island' feel to it is very wrong.
    Chernarus was a much more realistic and dense fighting area.

i've had all the arma's and must say im most disapointed with this one.
    The developers just didn't listen or prioritize.

1. Mar 26, 2014
    There's something about Bohemia's world-building that inspires people. Importantly though, Arma 3's vanilla content now stands on equal footing with those third-party inspirations. It's still a little rough around the edges, but it's a darned impressive package nonetheless.
  2. Nov 22, 2013
    Arma 3 seems to have a lot to offer in terms of multiplayer, but still not so much for the player looking to the single player experience.
  3. Oct 31, 2013
    With Arma 3, Bohemia made a big step towards a unified platform for its military shooters, but at the same time took two steps back in regards to actual game content. Only the most hardcore fans will enjoy Arma 3 in its current form.