Arx Fatalis PC

8.3

1. MaikiI.
    Jun 29, 2007
    This game has a really poor interface. Switching between combat, cursor, and mouse-look mode is a poor decision, and really hampers immersion.
  2. NicF.
    Jul 10, 2007
    Those who gave this game a higher rating then 5 have obviously not played oblivion.
    Apr 6, 2007
    The poor play control alone makes this game cumbersome to say the least. The graphics aren't much to write home about either.
  4. lucky225
    Oct 24, 2007
    Lame! Game play is long and slow moving. While it has ok graphics, the play experiance is by far the worst I have ever had.
  5. BlairM
    Feb 23, 2008
    Idea for spell interface is great, but not very well executed. It, the rest of the interface, and the levels themselves all feel like they weren't tested enough. I think if Arkane had spent more time polishing this game it could have become one of my favourites. The graphics are also dated, but the game fell (and would have risen) on the basis of the UI.
  6. MikeO.
    Apr 12, 2007
    Let's ignore the graphics as the game is old. I found that the controls were indeed quirky in a very annoying manner. Combat, normal point and click could have been combined into one system, but it wasn't. And managing your inventory? Just as annoying. Space is very limited even if you get two extra bags. The magic system? Terrible. Not only do you have to draw out the spells, Let's ignore the graphics as the game is old. I found that the controls were indeed quirky in a very annoying manner. Combat, normal point and click could have been combined into one system, but it wasn't. And managing your inventory? Just as annoying. Space is very limited even if you get two extra bags. The magic system? Terrible. Not only do you have to draw out the spells, you have to deal with a casting time as well. Granted you can memorize up to three spells for quick access, three is certainly not enough. My biggest complaint is that the monsters do not spawn fast enough. You can be litterally stuck waiting for monsters to spawn so you can *try* to gain a level so you can build up your skills just so you can pick a lock to advance in the game. And one of the side quests? Buggy as heck. It won't spawn the notes so I can finish it. The only real redeeming thing about this game is the voice acting. It was done fairly well and it shows. It's too bad that same level of quality wasn't put into the rest of the game. Expand
  7. Dec 23, 2015
    There is one thing that most people like in this game: the magic system, the do-it-yourself spellcasting. Another aspect that I personally enjoyed is the abundance of treasures as side-quests for thieves, making for good challenges.

On the minus side, the game offers a limited world and a claustrophobic atmosphere, a bit of a letdown at a time when dungeon crawls were being replaced by open worlds; and it's rather silly since the latter are of course a simple graphical illusion. Also contributing to the impression are the NPCs, who are static and strongly lacking in character.

That still makes for a decent game however, worthy of a score of 6 or 7, until Arx Fatalis suddenly decides to alienate half its players by becoming an arcade game. An entire level becomes a linear platformer in which you have to run and jump, or die at the first mistake. That far into the game, I tried; of course I tried, them bastards; and cursed Jowood; and finally blacklisted them, because that's how it works, boys.

1. Computer Gaming World
    It sounds great, it looks even better, and it's the most original RPG not named "Morrowind" released in 2002. [Mar 2003, p.94]
  2. An intriguing and wonderful game feature is the magic-casting system. You find or buy runes and then memorize the symbol and using the control key in conjunction with the mouse, draw the rune on the computer monitor to cast the spell. The effect is stunning.
  3. "Master of Orion 3: had better save me from all this crap, that’s all I’ve got to say.