7.5

1. Dr.VV
    Oct 23, 2009
    This is typical ubisoft, good graphics but the gameplay and interface are very linear and not well documented and the control interface sucks. As is very typical, they consistently require various combination's of keystrokes to do various actions and yet allow the character to get locked up in surroundings or people, this preventing any action from taking place. Avoid this fetid This is typical ubisoft, good graphics but the gameplay and interface are very linear and not well documented and the control interface sucks. As is very typical, they consistently require various combination's of keystrokes to do various actions and yet allow the character to get locked up in surroundings or people, this preventing any action from taking place. Avoid this fetid design unless you thrive on frustration. Oh, and Ubi, fix your friggin interfaces first, then worry about graphics. Expand
  2. Oct 19, 2011
    I really tried to like this game, but overall it was so repetitive it started to feel like a chore to finish. Go here, view here, complete objectives, and return to Masyaf. Aside from the historic holy land cities you visit (where you wash, rinse and repeat) the story is interesting and the visuals are great. The repetition leaves a bad after taste in your mouth, but this game alsoI really tried to like this game, but overall it was so repetitive it started to feel like a chore to finish. Go here, view here, complete objectives, and return to Masyaf. Aside from the historic holy land cities you visit (where you wash, rinse and repeat) the story is interesting and the visuals are great. The repetition leaves a bad after taste in your mouth, but this game also helps to setup the Assassin's Creed franchise. Not all is bad here, but it just wasn't well thought out and executed. Expand
  3. MechelsM.
    Apr 30, 2008
    The graphical quality is very good, the models and animations are some of the best I've ever seen. The storyline is reasonable, but nothing to write home about. It pretty much spoils itself before it's halfway through. The 'random' banter from NPCs is highly repetitive, most of them have only one or two sentences which they repeat over and over again. Which gets really The graphical quality is very good, the models and animations are some of the best I've ever seen. The storyline is reasonable, but nothing to write home about. It pretty much spoils itself before it's halfway through. The 'random' banter from NPCs is highly repetitive, most of them have only one or two sentences which they repeat over and over again. Which gets really annoying after a while. This annoyingness is matched easily by the behaviour of the NPCs, drunkards and beggars will only harrass the player. I ended up getting killed several times by a drunkard who for no reason at all lashed out and pushed me into the water. No guards or any NPC seems to care about the violent behaviour displayed by these drunkards, though if you fight back the heat will be on like there's no tomorrow. NPC guards in mini-game missions will instantly know where you are and of your intentions the second you 'lock' on to them, regardless of how stealthy your approach was. This completely negates the option of using the throwing knifes to get a free kill on these mini-games. I find this a rather immersion breaking issue. The controls leave the most to be desired though. Clearly it is a console port and the controls will constantly remind you of this fact. AWSD only allows for movement in 4 absolute directions, where in combat it is often needed to be able to 'move' diagonally or else the game will lock onto a different target and ruin your combo. The same goes for getting around the towns, in freerun mode the game decides when to jump, how far to jump and will adjust your direction to accommodate the jump it wants you to make. This will often lead to frustrating gameplay where the character either jumps too far or onto the wrong object killing the momentum of your run. Even when playing with a gamepad the controls feel unresponsive and like you're not the one in control of your character. Yet despide this "AI" controlling where and when you jump it's more than happy to let you jump to your doom, even though you have already changed directions or let go of the freerun mode entirely. I'd give it a 8 for graphics and animations, a 5 for the storyline, a 2 for immersion and a 1 for the controls. All in all, I give it 4 out of 10. Sorry, but lavish graphics do not make up for such poor controls and poor NPC behavior. Expand
  4. Dec 7, 2011
    Controls... Controls... Controls... This game loses everything at that point. I don't remember a game that i finished and still don't know the controls.
  5. Dec 30, 2011
    I'm a huge fan of the Assassin's creed series, but this one i could not get into at all. At first i loved it because I could run around and collect things but that grew old and repetitive just like the story missions. Near the end it gets less repetitive but you have to grind through many same-thing different-story missions to get there. The only reason this gets a 4 from me is becauseI'm a huge fan of the Assassin's creed series, but this one i could not get into at all. At first i loved it because I could run around and collect things but that grew old and repetitive just like the story missions. Near the end it gets less repetitive but you have to grind through many same-thing different-story missions to get there. The only reason this gets a 4 from me is because the story that it lays down for the rest of the series. Expand
  6. StevenH
    Jun 3, 2009
    Slightly inspired gameplay repeated twenty times over for the course of the game. Utterly repetitive. Unskippable cinematics. Shoddy programming. Invasive piracy protection (which failed). Prince of Persia combat. Inconsistent controls. Mediocre graphics. Cliched but acceptable storyline. Disastrous bugs (especially on PC - I must turn audio hardware acceleration off every time I play). Slightly inspired gameplay repeated twenty times over for the course of the game. Utterly repetitive. Unskippable cinematics. Shoddy programming. Invasive piracy protection (which failed). Prince of Persia combat. Inconsistent controls. Mediocre graphics. Cliched but acceptable storyline. Disastrous bugs (especially on PC - I must turn audio hardware acceleration off every time I play). Slightly overrated, but thankfully people know that the developers can't program. Had a lot of potential, but failed in most regards except under the most exact circumstances (stars aligning, looking at 5 minutes of gameplay in the cities, good mood, etc. and even then it's about an 8 or 9 out of 10). Expand
  7. Mar 19, 2012
    A GAME WITH BIG "BUTS" +++
    A GAME WITH BIG "BUTS" +++
    I'm a huge fan of medieval games and a huge fan of stealth games, so Assassin's Creed was my game of choice the moment I played it for five minutes on a friends PS3. Graphics are well done, no doubt about that, assets, clothes, armour and architecture put you back into the time of crusades without too many fantasy like touches -- as an upcoming reenactor I found this very inspiring!
    +++
    Game controls are a joy to play with. While many jump'n'run games fail to guide you along thin beam or on critical jumps, you really have to force your character off, which can be done quite well after a little practice. As mentioned before this sometimes gets into your way when your character automatically grabs ladders or beams to climb, while you actually want to run/fall/whatever.
    +++
    The fighting system is nice in terms of animations and feeling, but it is way too easy. While you are able to draw attention at you by an entire crusaders encampment you may get surrounded by 20 knights in a "circle of death", meaning you only fight one enemy at a time. Despite the honor of your enemies you will never get attacked when lying on the ground after you made a bad turn. You can use instant kill counterattacks efficiently after the first few fight leaving no challenge to such situations!
    +++
    As an assassin your job is to kill hits (people of influence, nobles, etc.) and nothing is more useful but having some clues on your hit before you strike. The game does not only offer clues, it forces you to collect them by playing repeating mini games. Even failing at those mini games is not a loss as you may retry as many times as you like -- so no pressure. After all clues you get are not only things you already know or you get to know -- at least while you try to find your "contacts" for the clues -- but they also have no impact on how you will strike! There usually is only one way in, no way to really prepare your strike and no way to strike silently. It always ends in a "honorable" fight (mentioned above) so you could rush right through if you didn't had to do those (now) pointless mini games....
    +++
    As mentioned before AI behavior only focuses on the player and gets really annoying as you -- the one in a robe wandering with the monks -- are literally attacked by beggars in a place crawling with nobles wearing silk more worth than half of the city.
    +++
    The story of Assassin's Creed has a nice idea inside. In good story telling characters called "shapeshifter" are the ones who betray you, fooling you to have worked for the wrong side after a long way, but still leaving you -- the player -- fooled as well when done well. Assassin's Creed tries that as well, leaving hints by each hit that you are fooled and if you have an IQ greater than a stone you will get it at least after the 3rd hit. This would not be the problem if there were not 6-7 more! From this point on I was not that motivated very much as I -- the character -- had to do things I -- the player -- didn't really want to do.
    +++
    I kept playing until the final punch in the face: You finally know what the master plan was behind everything in this game, but then suddenly be left alone in solitary, able to walk around, use "the machine" or literally find "the game's credits on a wall". The game has no satisfying ending, keeping you -- the player -- eager to continue right there. You may call it "cliffhanger" but it felt like someone ran off with the bag of money two month before the game was finished....
    +++
    CONCLUSION: The game is fun for one or two hours with so many ideas BUT looses depth quickly, like a teaser shooting all golden moments of a movie. As a "pilot" of a series it failed to get me....
  8. CodyW.
    Apr 12, 2008
    For a mouse and keyboard gamer this game is a piece of crap. The tutorial assumes you're using a gamepad and this is repeated throughout so you get brain-washed into assuming what the controls are with nothing to anchor the on screen instructions to your actual set-up. People criticize PC gaming but when ports go out of their way to fog the control scheme is it any wonder that we For a mouse and keyboard gamer this game is a piece of crap. The tutorial assumes you're using a gamepad and this is repeated throughout so you get brain-washed into assuming what the controls are with nothing to anchor the on screen instructions to your actual set-up. People criticize PC gaming but when ports go out of their way to fog the control scheme is it any wonder that we have bad things to say about game devs. Expand
  9. Nov 22, 2010
    Yet another half-arsed attempt to milk the pc market on money. It's a port at its worst, a growing trend.

Virtually everything about this game is bad. The only thing that stands out is the graphics, it certainly isn't crysis but not all that terrible. But everything else is, as said, terrible. The controls or inhumane, it's almost as if they randomly assigned key bindings. Now I said it's

Now I said it's a bad port and it first shows when moving the camera, it's a standard console camera, not suitable for the PC-market since it get stuck, it's not really a idealistic viewpoint.
    The second proof that no work was put in porting this game whatsoever is the fact that you have to lock onto a target in order to fight it, it simply doesn't work and isn't needed on a computer.

Even if the controls and the game handled like a regular PC game the story is meagre -- at best.
    It's a very cliché game, I won't go into details but I can think of several books and films that have already pulled that thing off. It's not interesting any more. For the younger and casual audience this isn't perhaps an issue at all, but for a gamer like me that view games like art it certainly isn't impressive.

This game isn't worthwhile playing, regardless of the price, heck even if you got it for free!
  10. Mar 23, 2013
    Why this game has earned the respect of so many people? It seems very repetitive. The only thing acceptable was that the story engages, the rest is always the same Even the dialogues of the characters in the cities are repeated over and over again, not to mention the damn beggars and madmen that you pull to one side... PC is also very hard to play with keyboard, since I tried to play withWhy this game has earned the respect of so many people? It seems very repetitive. The only thing acceptable was that the story engages, the rest is always the same Even the dialogues of the characters in the cities are repeated over and over again, not to mention the damn beggars and madmen that you pull to one side... PC is also very hard to play with keyboard, since I tried to play with it but it's impossible to configure it, because each time I enter the game again is dropped and buttons are misplaced. I put it a 1 for the story... Expand
  11. JYT
    Jan 6, 2012
    - only work is done on the graphism and riding the horse is nice
    - the story is simple: follow the doth, only one route to the end and no multiple route for the character.
    - it means no decision making - the last fight using the mouse has a bug and the support team was not able to solve the problem, they give and all-made answer of updating drivers although the rest of the game works well
    - only work is done on the graphism and riding the horse is nice
    - it means no decision making
    - the last fight using the mouse has a bug and the support team was not able to solve the problem, they give and all-made answer of updating drivers although the rest of the game works well the system.
    - Who is the stupid game developper who did not bother programming the function "Quit", "Save and Quit" ??????
  12. BrianP
    Nov 21, 2008
    Worst Game Ever. Okay first off, after playing Prince Of Persia The Two Thrones i was Pumped for this game Assassin's Creed. Why? Because the producers of the games are Same---Ubisoft. Prince Of Persia was an Epic Series and it is considered by many as the Best Action Adventure on the PC. So there, i bought the ORIGINAL DVD for Assassin's Creed Confident of the fact that it will Worst Game Ever. Okay first off, after playing Prince Of Persia The Two Thrones i was Pumped for this game Assassin's Creed. Why? Because the producers of the games are Same---Ubisoft. Prince Of Persia was an Epic Series and it is considered by many as the Best Action Adventure on the PC. So there, i bought the ORIGINAL DVD for Assassin's Creed Confident of the fact that it will be like Prince Of Persia and won't disappoint. Okay first off, the starting was very confusing and my friends near me Puked and ran away. But i wasn't gonna let this slip so easily. Being next-gen i knew Ubisoft were trying something different. After the first three assassinations i was FLAT. Yes i believed i had played the Best Game Ever. After the third however, things started to get a little repetitive and a lot till the 9th assassination. There are only three cities. Same Beggars and retards everywhere make the game so depressing. Also since this is the PC version the Side Missions are so Painfully Horrible. Two advantages you get playing this game is that it is Open World and it has the Best Graphics Ever by any Ubisoft Game. The ending for this game was pathetic and i was so disappointed that i felt like Tearing my Hair apart. I had wasted 50$s on this piece of SHIT. All in all, if you like Realism do play this game. But if you are a God Of War or a Prince Of Persia fan or a Fan of Fantasy games don't ever try this game. Prince Of Persia may be low in sales but it is a MUCH BETTER game than this Crappy Prince Of Persia Rip Off. If there is an Assassin's Creed 2, they better make it absolutely ZERO Repetitive and with no Side Quests then only i will rate it above or even in the league of Prince Of Persia or God Of War. Expand
  13. Sep 10, 2013
    This game is the worst disappointment I had in 20 years of gaming, also for all the hype around the series. The first 2 hours are great. Then it's just the same over and over again and you can't wait to complete it and get rid of it.

PROS: - graphics are great, considering how old it is. -The cities are beautiful and interesting. - The story is ok. Nothing special though. CONS: -

PROS:
    - graphics are great, considering how old it is.
    -The cities are beautiful and interesting.
    - The story is ok. Nothing special though.
    CONS:
    - controls with mouse and keyboard are plain terrible. Just do you a favour and play with a gamepad.
    - The game is REPETITIVE as hell. You do stupid tasks over and over again.
    - Combat is boring, frustrating without being challenging. You have 2/3 moves in total and always have to deal with large groups. Assassin style.
    - The game is more linear than Virtua Cop. Complete absence of any freedom in the storyline. There is some free roaming, but there is no reason to waste time picking up flags around.
    - Hours of cinematics, and you can't skip them even if you have to replay some mission

You are an assassin. A deadly assassin. That's why the last hour of gameplay you will roleplay as a Barbarian and fight some 100 enemies in groups of 10.
  14. Jul 28, 2014
    Hack'n'slash creed is a good game. Unfortunately, they called it Assassin's Creed, and if you think you're playing a stealth game, you'll be totally frustrated. By bad controls. By tedious mechanics. By lack of imagination. By stupid AI that can't see you in front of them sometimes and is super reactive other times. There is no cover, there is no hide, you really can't strategize theHack'n'slash creed is a good game. Unfortunately, they called it Assassin's Creed, and if you think you're playing a stealth game, you'll be totally frustrated. By bad controls. By tedious mechanics. By lack of imagination. By stupid AI that can't see you in front of them sometimes and is super reactive other times. There is no cover, there is no hide, you really can't strategize the missions that much. You can just try to "blend" but it doesn't even work that well.

Ok, it was the first of the franchise.. but it feels really old (the characters, the story.. the mechanics.. it's all so naive and outdated).

Only good remark: the good graphics, for a 2008 game - but considering I played it with a total retexturing mod, that uses textures from Revelations.
  15. Dec 8, 2015
    Playing for the first time in 2015, wondering what the hype is about... The graphics and AI all in all (considering 2008 game) are whatever. The problem I had is that everything looks the same, feels the same and basically IS the same: NPCs, hideouts, cities... It gets incredibly boring out of blue when you need to kill someone the exactly same way for the bilionth time. Havent finished.Playing for the first time in 2015, wondering what the hype is about... The graphics and AI all in all (considering 2008 game) are whatever. The problem I had is that everything looks the same, feels the same and basically IS the same: NPCs, hideouts, cities... It gets incredibly boring out of blue when you need to kill someone the exactly same way for the bilionth time. Havent finished. Going for ACII tomorrow. Expand
  16. T
    May 29, 2008
    Great graphics. Other than that... A control set, and control system, totally unsuited to PC gaming. Just awful. Imprecise, unpredictable, and frustrating. An average plot with even some semi original elements that, once you have seen it the first time, is unskipable on later re-plays. Unforgivable. Very restricted gameplay in the modern sections of the game. It totally breaks my Great graphics. Other than that... A control set, and control system, totally unsuited to PC gaming. Just awful. Imprecise, unpredictable, and frustrating. An average plot with even some semi original elements that, once you have seen it the first time, is unskipable on later re-plays. Unforgivable. Very restricted gameplay in the modern sections of the game. It totally breaks my suspension of disbelief that this guy just mutely goes along with everything. As a professed former assassin himself he doesn't grab the fire extinguisher off the wall and try to brain his captors with it before using their biometrics to escape... No, he just mutely does everything he is told to do like a sheep. Speaking of suspension of disbelief, as the game opens you have a character that is capable of amazing feats. Then he is demoted in his order, and suddenly can't do half of that stuff anymore. Cos that makes absolute sense. No. This whole thing screams "LAZY CONSOLE PORT" at the top of its lungs and is sadly representative of the disaster that is PC gaming these days. Expand
  17. GB.
    Jun 10, 2008
    I have nothing bad to say about the graphics or the control system in this game. The graphics are brilliant, especially with DX10 supported card. It took a few minutes to get to grips with the controls, but once you've got the hang of it, it's fine. I enjoyed the game for the first couple of cities, but then it became very clear that there was little variety and that the I have nothing bad to say about the graphics or the control system in this game. The graphics are brilliant, especially with DX10 supported card. It took a few minutes to get to grips with the controls, but once you've got the hang of it, it's fine. I enjoyed the game for the first couple of cities, but then it became very clear that there was little variety and that the gameplay for each city was going to be the same: save a civilian, climb a few watch points, eaves drop, assassins challenge, go take on the main assassination target, escape. I finished the first 3 "memory blocks" and then uninstalled it. I just couldn't face wasting any more of my life playing it, and would quite like those few hours back please. If only game developers spent a bit more time on making a good game than trying to wow us with pretty graphics. Expand
  18. BenK.
    Jun 23, 2008
    Well I just bought the game and i had all the requirements but the game still looks like shit....its slow and laggy. Id rather play it on the Xbox 360 any day. Well there goes $50 :/ -Ben Komito
  19. ZioR
    Mar 25, 2009
    This game is seriously lacking in gameplay and design, which good graphics just can't make up for. Gameplay is annoying, lacking in depth, confusing, and has the appearance of a game that poured all resources into sells and graphics rather then make it actually entertaining for the customer. Ubisoft really let me down on this one, I expected much better.
  20. Jul 8, 2013
    This game started good. I loved the historical setting, walking around in Acre, Jerusalem, Damascus. But as game its just a POS. I cant imagine how the franchise survived. The controls, the most important thing in game are ridiculous. They sometimes working, other times not. That isnt a problem for a while, but after a few hours its getting harder and one missed push means running aroundThis game started good. I loved the historical setting, walking around in Acre, Jerusalem, Damascus. But as game its just a POS. I cant imagine how the franchise survived. The controls, the most important thing in game are ridiculous. They sometimes working, other times not. That isnt a problem for a while, but after a few hours its getting harder and one missed push means running around from soldiers endlessly. It is a shame. Its always the same they publish the game on the pc but leaving the damn controls console. Ive tried it with different hardware, I wanted to like this game, but I gave up at memory block 5... And if I didnt finished this, why on earth would I want to play the other parts?
    Score is 2 for the setting and not 0 which would be correct...
  21. Jan 29, 2013
    Good springboard for later games, but the pure receptivity shows story and innovation incompotence. Interesting setup, but seven or eight hours in, I realised I was doing the same thing I was doing last missions, and before that too. Character models are frequently repeated and have sticky animations, added to which, Altair looks exactly like Desmond. So many cut corners here it's a wonderGood springboard for later games, but the pure receptivity shows story and innovation incompotence. Interesting setup, but seven or eight hours in, I realised I was doing the same thing I was doing last missions, and before that too. Character models are frequently repeated and have sticky animations, added to which, Altair looks exactly like Desmond. So many cut corners here it's a wonder Ubisoft kept going with the franchise, but I'm glad they did. Expand
  22. Sep 24, 2013
    I wasn't astounded by the graphics and game engine, though both were really good, especially the latter but the depth of the game and way it handled were terrible. The side tasks were just moronic- help the same type of citizen in every town, stealth-kill some hoodlums for some unknown brother, eagle view of the city and jumping into haystacks without any harm. The fight engine was prettyI wasn't astounded by the graphics and game engine, though both were really good, especially the latter but the depth of the game and way it handled were terrible. The side tasks were just moronic- help the same type of citizen in every town, stealth-kill some hoodlums for some unknown brother, eagle view of the city and jumping into haystacks without any harm. The fight engine was pretty decent if you don't mention the fact that whilst killing soldiers others wait in a queue for their turn. Menus, the way it handled, the chore of exiting, uncuttable cutscenes, and the amount of unnecessary keys you had to push to do most things I gather were a thing of the concole but should have never found their way onto a PC. Also I had to kill most soldiers on my way because that was the easier way of getting rid of them after they saw Altair galloping around- killing should be the last thing an assassin does and not an easier way of travelling. And don't get me started on the need to hide after you ran away from enemies- why should I hide if I already lost them?!
    I imagine this must have been quite a thing for the console since it was uncomplicated and quite flashy but for me it was a boring, unimmaginative advanced hack'n'slash. A terrible port. It should've been called "Hack'n'slasher's creed".
  23. Sep 22, 2015
    The first 3 main missions to the game are on fire but then after then the game just totally goes to dust with the remaining missions as they are far to repetitive and it's like you are restarting the game over and over again by doing the same things the missions have to offer. Most of the side quests are Really boring, bland, the main story is dull and the controls are so out of whack.The first 3 main missions to the game are on fire but then after then the game just totally goes to dust with the remaining missions as they are far to repetitive and it's like you are restarting the game over and over again by doing the same things the missions have to offer. Most of the side quests are Really boring, bland, the main story is dull and the controls are so out of whack. It's actually so disappointing as the game has stunning visuals and the first 3 missions are so good! The open world is awesome but still very restrictive for where you can go as you have to unlock the areas. Overall I would have given a lot higher rating but the repetitiveness and lack of ideas to the game and story is the sole reason of my rate for now. Expand
  24. Mar 28, 2017
    i had good memories of this but i decided to play it now and i got to say that this game NOW! sucks!!
    the parkour is slow and Altair keeps going to place that i don t tell em to go i know that this still happens but less often.
    The story is just bad, you don t care about any of the caracters and after the 3 assassination it just got sow repetetive go up to the towers to find the mission sow you can get intel that its always help some guy or interrogate someone. i can tell that you will do this things 9 TIMES!!!!.
    Only buy the end that you`ll do something diferent. And the "TWIST" if you can ever call that a twist it was sow predictable you can spot it from a mile away.
    Now the storie of desmond on Abestergo it allote more interesting and it end all of the sudden...
    but i guess il have to see more on assassin`s creed 2
    Now the combat it great there are various ways to attack and block attacks it makes figthing a joy.
    overwall i didn t liked the game it s a shame and played the recent assassin`s creed syndicate i m glad that ubisoft took a year off to make a new assassin`s creed, this franchise has much potencial and i do not recomend this game skip this one
  25. Jul 5, 2016
    As much as I liked its story, I cannot recommend this game to anyone who wants to start playing the AC series as I'm sure that they wouldn't bother playing the rest actually good ones after playing this repetition simulator. First of all, the story is somewhat unique and interesting, both the Desmond and Altair parts. Gameplay is not that bad either, but those missions... Holy ****, aren'tAs much as I liked its story, I cannot recommend this game to anyone who wants to start playing the AC series as I'm sure that they wouldn't bother playing the rest actually good ones after playing this repetition simulator. First of all, the story is somewhat unique and interesting, both the Desmond and Altair parts. Gameplay is not that bad either, but those missions... Holy ****, aren't those missions a series of boredom sources... First of all, I must say that the assassination missions/main missions were very interesting and kind of challenging to do it sneakily. But the missions we had to do in order to unlock those missions were nothing but repetitive cancer. Here's a brief summary of the game: eavesdrop, pickpocket, fight some guards, assassinate the significant target. Cool, now all you need to do is to learn about the story and you can start the series from AC 2 ! Expand

1. PC Format
    Playing as gaming's most agile character is joyous, which outweighs the lengthy cutscenes and disappointing final hour. [Apr 2008, p.38]
  2. Assassin’s Creed for the PC is a pretty compelling action game that benefits from huge environments and an interesting story. While the main campaign can get a bit repetitive, the new Director’s Cut features add some nice variety.
    What you're left with is a repetitive side-quest requirement for completing each primary mission, though the issue is alleviated somewhat with the PC version's additional content.