7.6

1. May 21, 2013
    Extremely bland. The only thing holding this game up is its great story and engaging main missions. Every so often you'll be sent to kill a key target, and the mission to do so is a high point in the game. Unfortunately, everything else in between is very lackluster and boring. The same missions are repeated over and over in each city you go to and it's just not fun. I recommend reading the wiki article to get the story down and then start playing ACII. Expand
  2. Oct 14, 2013
    While not as good as the sequels that followed, the original game set the bar high, in fact it's a testament to the others that they managed to beat it. The open world stealth and assassination gameplay template that many games followed was exemplified here.
  3. Nov 25, 2013
    This game was like a dream come true for me. A lot of people complain about it being repetitive, shallow, boring, etc. and I can understand how they can say that. However I really enjoyed the freedom of movement and beautiful scenery. It's like you're a Middle Ages Batman! With time travel! I would've picked up the sequel on launch day if it wasn't for the overbearing DRM.
  4. Aug 1, 2014
    "Assassin's Creed" features a fresh and decent plot and an innovative gameplay. Back in 2008, its graphics were exceptional, too. You cannot get easily attached to the central character, but the full of twists story is pretty absorbing. It's an absolute achievement and deserves every single bit of its acclaim.
  5. Jul 12, 2013
    Assassin's creed is a good game with decent story (although the ending was bad great graphic and some cool characters but the game is repetitive with the same missions nothing new so you'll have fun in the beginning and then you'll get a bit bored then disappointed in the ending but still it is not bad and give it a try
  6. Jun 12, 2012
    Assassin's Creed is an enjoyable new game where people who are fond of conspiracies will surely enjoy the amazing storyline with a twist. Players will also enjoy the amazing unique gameplay and the different views of places which are based upon actual real life locations. Any person who is a fan of Action, stealth or sandbox games will surely love this game and will be glad to add it to their collection. Expand
  7. Aug 4, 2011
    The story is good - EA did an awesome job doing historical research.
    However, the game play has the following pattern that does not change:
    Get Assignment, Kill soldiers, Assassinate Target. Next. Guess what - using a Knife!
    After third assignment - i uninstalled this game from my computer.
  8. Jan 16, 2013
    While not nearly as refined as later titles, the original AC game stands on its own merits too. It features a compelling story, great atmosphere, and fresh gameplay mechanics. I found the parts where you must control Desmond to be rather tedious, but thankfully they are relatively short and do at least help to build up the story. The actual heart of the game, playing as Altair the assassin, is plenty of fun. The world is fairly large and mostly open, so you can explore, cause havoc, or do missions largely at your own pace. The cities are beautiful and each have their own look and feel, whether it's the holy city of Jerusalem, the crusader fortress of Acre, or the Muslim city of Damascus. Unfortunately the game provides you with limited weapons (you don't have the luxury of crossbows or smoke bombs as in later games), and most major assassination missions end up in huge sword-fights or long desperate chases. Still, there's nothing quite like hearing the chase music pumping as you leap around rooftops trying to escape a horde of pissed guards! Expand
  9. Mar 18, 2014
    I played the more recent AC installments and then decided to go back and try this one. I feared outdated mechanics, and though they do change drastically from the more recent set up, it was not difficult to adapt to and felt pretty good. I like the way the game flows and I felt much more like a true assassin rather than an extremely agile brawler like the other titles.
  10. Jan 2, 2014
    Story:7.8/10 Characters:5/10 Graphics:7.3/10 Gameplay:7.5/10 A.I:7/10 Controls:9/10 Voice Acting:9/10 Music:9/10 Replay Value:7.1/10 POSITIVES + Open world,Prince of Persia,Third Crusade,Assassins and more + Amazing climbing system + Great music,voice acting and controls + View points + Good surprise twist and boss NEGATIVES - Side quest get repetitive and boring

- No character development or liking

- Frustrating A.I.

- Desmond

- Combat that gets boring
  11. Apr 26, 2013
    A revolucionary game. Intire cities developed at game, that was amazing. The problem: The game is so much repetitive. You have to do the same thing all the time.
  12. Aug 11, 2014
    Now that's different. An open world that looks like the middle east in history. I liked the atmosphere. The buildings, dresses, horses and sword fights. And I really enjoyed jumping on rooftops and doing parkour stuff. The control is good. It gives a great experience. But the story was too boring. And this affected the game significantly. I was hardly playing that game and hoping for a change. But Al Muallim is such dull man. He keeps giving me the same mission every time I accomplished one. Expand
  13. Jul 23, 2011
    Assassin's Creed is fun and challenging. It puts the player in a setting in the 12th century, during king Richard the Lionheart's crusades. The player takes on a role of an assassin Altair, who is part of a secret group of assassins. The game offers a free roaming gameplay and takes place in 4 cities, as well as a countryside in between those. The graphics are very rich, with stunning environments, the locations are well designed, and the quests are pretty fun, even though somewhat repetitive after a while. My favourite thing about Assassin's Creed is its fantastic combat mechanic. I can fight guards day in day out and not get bored of it, because there are a number of moves you can perform in combat, with the most addictive one being counter attacks, which can instantly kill an attacking enemy if timed well. And if you aren't up for a fight, you can play a cat and mouse game with the guards, run through the city streets, dodging civilians, jumping through merchant stands and eventually disappearing in a good hiding place. There are only 5-6 different types of quests which you have to do in every city and every city district, but they do get more challenging as you progress through the game. At the end of each set of sidequests you have to assassinate a certain corrupt leader, and even though that's a repetitive structure to a game, you still face a different challenge with each leader (for example one you might need to chase, another one to face in battle, third one to stealthly kill, etc). The storyline maybe isn't anything special, but it's not exactly bad either. It's predictable to a degree, but it's not stale. Repetition might be one issue in the game, but I don't mind it so much, so long as the game is fun. However there are a couple of issues I wasn't too fond of. First one was that it took a while to get used to the controls. The fact there are separate buttons for each limb and a button for a high profile stance can get confusing in the beginning. Another problem that brought the game down a bit was that whenever you entered an area where a cinematic had to occur, you would suddenly not be able to do anything apart from walking until the cinematic triggers. This means that if you tried to enter through a roof, you basically wouldn't be able to jump down and would be stuck on a ledge. Other than those few issues the game is good. Expand
  14. Nov 3, 2012
    A nice start for the best-selling franchise, Assassin's Creed's main flaw is its repeatetiveness - it follows the same pattern in all the three cities: complete a number of similiar side-missions - go in and eliminate the VIP. Still, the game features a great plot (both in the middle ages and in the modern days), impressive graphics (they're competetive even today), beautifully reconstructed cities and the unique feeling of being an assassin, watching his targets from the crowd and going in for the kill as an eagle squawks. Expand
  15. Feb 28, 2013
    Sometimes very boring and monotone.
  16. Oct 14, 2010
    I bought this for PC because it was on sale on Steam for $5. You should only plan to buy this for PC if you have a computer capable of taking advantage of the graphics vs a console and if you have a controller (the game instantly recognized my Logitech Rumblepad 2). The PC controls are beyond awful. Controls aside, this game had some good ideas for assassination but could have been executed much better. Every aspect in the game is repetitive. All three cities you explore look exactly the same. The AI citizens same the exact same things, perhaps in a different accent. The missions you do are indistinguishable from the other. Saving citizens, finding flags, chasing people down, everything you do in the game is pretty much restricted to those few actions. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if the story was good, but it's not. While getting to the end was intense, the long middle was just hunting down an evil person, killing them and viewing their cinematics, then repeat. You meet no indistinguishable characters and everything gets REALLY boring, REALLY fast. I can only think of one reason to recommend anyone to play Assassin's Creed, and that is to play Assassin's Creed II. While it's not mandatory to play it to understand AC2's backstory, it's nice to be less confused in the game. And believe me, AC2 fixes EVERYTHING from the first game, and adds so much more. Assassin's Creed II alone, makes the first game worth playing. Expand
  17. Aug 14, 2012
    AC is visually stunning, and the gameplay is fun. The story can be predictable, but It's interesting. Now, Assassin's Creed is the second best looking AC game, for my opinion, but It's not the best. The game can feel repetitive at times, and It haves some glitches. But, this game kicks asses, means that it's great. 83 out of 100
  18. Oct 29, 2013
    Arcade and repetitive, but this game also has nice open world cities, smooth choreography and the best horses in a game yet. Like most ports, this is nearly ruined by consolitis: narrow FOV, too easy, non-persistent world, annoying AI respawns, and one of the worst menu systems ever. The save system is bad and there are no subtitles. I had occasional CTDs. A pity, because without all those flaws, this would be a great game. In the end its an "OK" game. The sequels are also "OK" in my opinion. Expand
  19. Apr 21, 2012
    Nice locations, awesome story, sort of weird combat system, lucky that will be fixed in the next episodes, repetitive cause you always have to investigate+help citizen, but all in all worth the price of when it goes on sale, kept me busy for a few, if you want to go for the 100% completed in-game you will need a lot of times, if you are a fan of AC game get it anyway.
  20. Mar 22, 2014
    Assassin's Creed (Director's Cut Edition) consists of a small variation of different elements that helped build the franchise's foundation and success. It somewhat fufilled it's role as a "historical adventure, open-world game", but unfortunately leaves out the "stealth" aspect away in the dirt. Here's a list of pros and cons from my 16 hours of experience with the game: Pros:

+ Great looking graphics for a 2007/2008 game
    + Game mechanics isn't really choppy, although the character sometimes get stucked in foliages and invisible floors/walls, but other than that, it still gets the job done, decently.
    + Detailed character modelling, costumes are looks realistic and well-detailed.
    + Missions usually relate to the plot directly, no twist and turns around a corner or two.
    + Plot was intriguing and epic.
    + At least 16-18 hours of non-stop gameplay spent completing just on the story.

Cons:

- Repetitive mission types, lacks creativity.
    - Artificial Intelligence coding feels half-assed, e.g. enemy A.I falling off buildings, not retaliating frequently to attacks, not noticing "stealth assassinations" when closeby.
    - Side missions (or known as "memories") are completely useless and takes a long time to complete.
    - Game stablility issues. E.g. unable to start the game, game crashing frequently.
    - Checkpoints feels non-existent.
    - Stealth doesn't really work all that well in this game.
    - Cliffhanger ending was disappointing. Adruptly ended with poor execution methods.

To sum it up, this game is worth a shot at. I did enjoy this game a ton during the 16 hours of playtime. Good way to start up the storyline of the series to the future games.
  21. Jun 8, 2014
    Assassin's Creed is a good game with stunning graphic, great sounds and amazing story. But then, the only thing left in your mind is Altair's animations and outstanding parkour race. Repetitive mission's the biggest flaw in the game, beside an open-but-boring world.
  22. Nov 8, 2011
    I just want to start off by saying that I actually do enjoy this game, even if it might come across overly critical. I bought it a week or so ago, and have had about 10 hours play time with it now, won't be long either, till it is completed, at least with regards to the main story line.

The graphics, for 2008 are very good, but, ofcourse, compared to todays standards they're not really
    that great, at all. Especially the character models and animations can sometimes have me cringing in my shoes, but I'll survive. The scenery, and the "finish", the aesthetics, are wonderful, though. I like the "dirty" look/feel to the game graphically, and it conveys a proper sense of atmosphere to the time period. Textures could be bumped up, alot, though.

Sound and VA works fine, but the lip synch is nothing special, at all. This generation has featured, even older games, with better synching than this. All in all though, it works, but its not getting a 10/10 based on sound, VA and synching though.

Gameplay wise it is pretty repetitive, listen to this guy, do this guy's challenge, pickpocket that guy, beat up the third guy and boom you are set to assassinate someone who will give you another piece to the storyline. So far, for me, the story line does seem quite intriguing, which is, as far as I see it (in this day and age) the one reason to play this game now. Especially seeing as Assassin's Creed II, Brotherhood and Revelations and the future Assassin's Creed III builds onto this storyline.

Combat is a bit odd if I have to be honest. Yes you can hit someone with the sword, or stab someone with your hidden knife. If you are discovered, well, hold down right mouse button and stare at the screen until an enemy attacks you, then press left mouse button, and said enemy will either die or be out of combat for a while. You will be pretty much unkillable with right mouse button held, and left mouse button will kill people for you. It is rather simplistic, and would have worked fine, with a few more kill animations. There are quite a few, but you see them soooo often that they get tedious in the end. The first few times are very awesome though.

Camera angling and control is horrible, it sometimes just does whatever the hell it wants to do and your sat wondering "wtf?" that is pretty much all there is to say to it.

By 2008 standards it might have been an 8 or 9/10, by todays standards it would barely scrape a 7, but then again, for the money it costs these days, there are quite alot of fun to be had, and the story is pretty good. So 7/10 from me.
  23. Apr 9, 2012
    Great atmosphere, with wonderful animations and an intriguing story. The parkour-style gameplay is addictive and fast paced, and the human crowds are lively, realistic and add an exciting element to the gameplay. Repetitive combat and missions are the drawbacks to Assassin's Creed, peppered with occasional camera and control issues, inherent with third-person open-world action games. Highly recommended, provided you have a gamepad and the hardware to support it! Expand
  24. Oct 24, 2012
    I would say this is a pretty good game overall. Nice gameplay, good combat system and a pretty good story with a fantastic ending. But this game definetly has it's bad sides too : The free run system has it's flawsand the guard system is just really messed up: Sometimes you can murder someone right infront of a guard and they don't give a **** and other times all you have to do is move past them and they will try to kill you. These two and other details about the game make it so frustrating to play that i can't give it more than a 7/10. Expand
  25. Dec 29, 2011
    The game is nothing special. The assassin's creed series is fantastic but this game is just repetitive and boring, but it's not awful. It's easy, repetitive... blah. BUT, I recommend to play this before you play the rest of the games. Really, it's important. Anyway, it's a perfect port.
  26. Feb 24, 2014
    The game looked very nice and the story was appealing. But the gameplay just wasn't for me. I think I just expected something else from the game. It seems smooth, made with a lot of care and perfectionism, but it just wasn't for me. I gave up after 5 or 6 hours.
  27. Mar 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Those guys who gaves scores below 5 they didn't even finished the game.. The reason? they say ots bad ported, bugs, lag...
    Well hello, if you want to play a mans game, then buy a dam **** mans PC...
    Assassins creed was th best game ever released, thank GOD somebody had the idea releasing such a beautiful game, thnak you.. The game is PERFECT. There are some repetitive missions but killing people is repetitive too isn't?? Every game has to be repetitive with something.. I enjoyed the game and i bought Assassins Creed 2 6 month later and now i bought assassins Creed Brotherhood and i already completed it... Dam, thats what i call a Game!!! Assassins Creed for Ever!!!
  28. Nov 30, 2012
    Good graphics and interesting storyline, although lack of subtitle feature can make the game confusing from time to time. Story progress linear and no re-playability value. The game mechanic is highly repetitive and I wanted to quit playing after two to three hours. However, I beat the game just so I can say 'been there, done that'. Skip this game and go for Assassin Creed II if you are thinking whether to get this game as of November 2012. Expand
  29. Jun 25, 2013
    I really tried to like this game and it does have some things going for it. It looks good, it has very open maps and the premise (being stealthy assassin) sounds great.

Unfortunately this game is very repetitive. Basically every mission is exactly the same and every map has the same scripted things you need to do and can do. This gets old somewhere around third mission. I originally
    expected something more like Thief series. Optional side quests like "collect zillion flags around the map, to get nothing concrete" also don't help.

It's also mind boggling why we need convoluted double plot. You see, all the assassin stuff actually happens inside this guy's head who is kidnapped by some organization in present time and placed inside machine that can play his "genetic memory". I really can't see any relevance or added value between this and the game's central idea of being medieval assassin. Granted that I didn't finish the game so I don't know if it starts to make sense at some point.

All in all, the game is ok. Unfortunately, there are tons of better ways to spend your time than this game. It offers nothing exceptional or memorable.
  30. Oct 13, 2013
    Technical Issues[10]
    ------------------------------------
    Over All[9.1]
  31. Sep 26, 2013
    This is a great game which I really enjoyed. The attention to detail and historical accuracy is excellent and you really feel that you are wandering around in the cities the story takes place in. I particularly liked the parts of the story that take place in Acre. However I agree with a lot people that the missions do get slightly repetitive towards the end causing the game to drag a bit at times hence me only giving it a score of 8. However it is a good intro to a very well done and fascinating series and a good hack and slash romp through a fascinating part of the Middle Ages Expand
  32. Jun 10, 2011
    OK, I usually don't like games that are set in middle ages, but this was a surprise. The graphics are awesome but my computer could handle this only on the lowest settings and that's the reason why I don't try Assassin's Creed 2 and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. Even the lowest settings are great! The story is about a dude. In 2012 he has been held in captivity by a mad scientist. He puts the dude in sort of a time machine (or what the hell it is) called Animus. You actually control the dude. The environment is massive and you can go wherever you want. You will be in Middle East and there is a village, a big kingdom, and three cities - Jerusalem, Damascus and Acre. There are there three areas in each city - rich class people area, medium class people area and poor class people area. All those things are nice but sadly, that you do the same thing over and over again. There are some bugs too. Two or three times I fell out of the graphics. The good thing is that you can climb walls, jump from roof to roof etc. The controls are a bit confusing but you will get used to them.

Graphics: They are awesome 10/10
    Sound: I usually play and don't listen to sounds
    Gameplay: 7/10 because of the repetitive gameplay
    Story: Great but confusing 8/10
  33. JYT
    Jan 6, 2012
    - only work is done on the graphism and riding the horse is nice
    - the story is simple: follow the doth, only one route to the end and no multiple route for the character.
    - it means no decision making
    - the last fight using the mouse has a bug and the support team was not able to solve the problem, they give and all-made answer of updating drivers although the rest of the game works well
    the system.
    - Who is the stupid game developper who did not bother programming the function "Quit", "Save and Quit" ??????
  34. Dec 7, 2011
    Controls... Controls... Controls... This game loses everything at that point. I don't remember a game that i finished and still don't know the controls.
  35. Nov 22, 2010
    Yet another half-arsed attempt to milk the pc market on money. It's a port at its worst, a growing trend.

Virtually everything about this game is bad. The only thing that stands out is the graphics, it certainly isn't crysis but not all that terrible.
    But everything else is, as said, terrible. The controls or inhumane, it's almost as if they randomly assigned key bindings.
    Now I said it's
    a bad port and it first shows when moving the camera, it's a standard console camera, not suitable for the PC-market since it get stuck, it's not really a idealistic viewpoint.
    The second proof that no work was put in porting this game whatsoever is the fact that you have to lock onto a target in order to fight it, it simply doesn't work and isn't needed on a computer.

Even if the controls and the game handled like a regular PC game the story is meagre -- at best.
    It's a very cliché game, I won't go into details but I can think of several books and films that have already pulled that thing off. It's not interesting any more. For the younger and casual audience this isn't perhaps an issue at all, but for a gamer like me that view games like art it certainly isn't impressive.

This game isn't worthwhile playing, regardless of the price, heck even if you got it for free!
  36. May 15, 2014
    I will sum this game up by describing the most irritating thing about it. To quit the game you must first turn off the animus, then open the animus then go to the menu, then go to the main menu. It takes a good 1-5 minutes depending on your hard-drive setup. Simply put, really, really annoying. Story itself is good but that one thing really just killed playing it for me enough to not even try playing Assassins Creed II. (for now..) Expand
  37. Jul 23, 2012
    Having played through, and for the most part- loving- the later Assassin's Creed games, I was really looking forward to seeing how the series started. Unfortunately, it seems there were some large growing pains with this first incarnation of the franchice. I have to agree with others who point out the repetitiveness of the missions once you get past the first three memories. The amount of time I have to spend synchronizing viewpoints and such just to unlock yet more-of-the-same types of missions is frankly exhausting. I can forgive the terrible combat controls and copy/paste generic NPC's everywhere, but if a game can't at least keep me entertained and wanting to see what happens next, it's just not worth it. Also worth noting is how wooden and unemotional Altair sounds throughout most of the game. The "animus translation" excuse just isn't sufficient for him to feel very out of place when compared to almost any of the other characters, whose performances are much more realistic. The modern-day exposition concerning Lucy and Abstergo is worth getting to hear, but not nearly good enough to save the rest of the game from being tedious and uninteresting. If you're a die-hard AC fan, you'll probably want it in your collection. Whether or not you'll be able to finish it is another question entirely. Expand
  38. Jul 8, 2013
    This game started good. I loved the historical setting, walking around in Acre, Jerusalem, Damascus. But as game its just a POS. I cant imagine how the franchise survived. The controls, the most important thing in game are ridiculous. They sometimes working, other times not. That isnt a problem for a while, but after a few hours its getting harder and one missed push means running around from soldiers endlessly. It is a shame. Its always the same they publish the game on the pc but leaving the damn controls console. Ive tried it with different hardware, I wanted to like this game, but I gave up at memory block 5... And if I didnt finished this, why on earth would I want to play the other parts?
    Score is 2 for the setting and not 0 which would be correct...
  39. Mar 19, 2012
    A GAME WITH BIG "BUTS" +++
    I'm a huge fan of medieval games and a huge fan of stealth games, so Assassin's Creed was my game of choice the moment I played it for five minutes on a friends PS3. Graphics are well done, no doubt about that, assets, clothes, armour and architecture put you back into the time of crusades without too many fantasy like touches -- as an upcoming reenactor I found
    this very inspiring!
    +++
    Game controls are a joy to play with. While many jump'n'run games fail to guide you along thin beam or on critical jumps, you really have to force your character off, which can be done quite well after a little practice. As mentioned before this sometimes gets into your way when your character automatically grabs ladders or beams to climb, while you actually want to run/fall/whatever.
    +++
    The fighting system is nice in terms of animations and feeling, but it is way too easy. While you are able to draw attention at you by an entire crusaders encampment you may get surrounded by 20 knights in a "circle of death", meaning you only fight one enemy at a time. Despite the honor of your enemies you will never get attacked when lying on the ground after you made a bad turn. You can use instant kill counterattacks efficiently after the first few fight leaving no challenge to such situations!
    +++
    As an assassin your job is to kill hits (people of influence, nobles, etc.) and nothing is more useful but having some clues on your hit before you strike. The game does not only offer clues, it forces you to collect them by playing repeating mini games. Even failing at those mini games is not a loss as you may retry as many times as you like -- so no pressure. After all clues you get are not only things you already know or you get to know -- at least while you try to find your "contacts" for the clues -- but they also have no impact on how you will strike! There usually is only one way in, no way to really prepare your strike and no way to strike silently. It always ends in a "honorable" fight (mentioned above) so you could rush right through if you didn't had to do those (now) pointless mini games....
    +++
    As mentioned before AI behavior only focuses on the player and gets really annoying as you -- the one in a robe wandering with the monks -- are literally attacked by beggars in a place crawling with nobles wearing silk more worth than half of the city.
    +++
    The story of Assassin's Creed has a nice idea inside. In good story telling characters called "shapeshifter" are the ones who betray you, fooling you to have worked for the wrong side after a long way, but still leaving you -- the player -- fooled as well when done well. Assassin's Creed tries that as well, leaving hints by each hit that you are fooled and if you have an IQ greater than a stone you will get it at least after the 3rd hit. This would not be the problem if there were not 6-7 more! From this point on I was not that motivated very much as I -- the character -- had to do things I -- the player -- didn't really want to do.
    +++
    I kept playing until the final punch in the face: You finally know what the master plan was behind everything in this game, but then suddenly be left alone in solitary, able to walk around, use "the machine" or literally find "the game's credits on a wall". The game has no satisfying ending, keeping you -- the player -- eager to continue right there. You may call it "cliffhanger" but it felt like someone ran off with the bag of money two month before the game was finished....
    +++
    CONCLUSION: The game is fun for one or two hours with so many ideas BUT looses depth quickly, like a teaser shooting all golden moments of a movie. As a "pilot" of a series it failed to get me....
  40. Feb 17, 2014
    Can not believe that 2007 graphics, unique story pretty good, but too repetitive missions, unfriendly gameplay, such difficulties are way too high ahswiwotda battle.
  41. May 27, 2014
    The beginning of a legend. I liked the first game, even with a median story, but with good graphics. The real innovation became with the second game of the franchise, which is my favorite.
  42. Oct 6, 2013
    Good game. I give it a 8/10. Remarkable for the visuals for a game from 2007. Looses points for being repetitive and having a camera that you want to kill during combat. Some points come back for having an intriguing back story. I didn't realize this is a trilogy with a long story. I figured it was just run and gun. Intrigued for AC2. I stalled out on this game in chapter 2 of 7, mostly due to the repetition, but got going again after seeing an AC4 trailer. Took about 24 hours total to get through the game. This is a pretty good stealth game, which is in my wheel house. The combat is fun, but a bit non-intuitive and timing dependent. After you get the hang of it though you pretty much can't loose. Expand
  43. Jan 29, 2013
    Good springboard for later games, but the pure receptivity shows story and innovation incompotence. Interesting setup, but seven or eight hours in, I realised I was doing the same thing I was doing last missions, and before that too. Character models are frequently repeated and have sticky animations, added to which, Altair looks exactly like Desmond. So many cut corners here it's a wonder Ubisoft kept going with the franchise, but I'm glad they did. Collapse
  44. Dec 28, 2011
    This is a brilliant port to PC. Ubisoft listened to the complaints that people had about the console version, and came out with a refined, improved game on the PC. Unfortunately, I had to play this beauty on a on board graphics card which couldn't even run it on the lowest settings without lag. I struggled through the game with a framerate dipping as low as 5fps. After recently investing in a new graphics card I discovered that it was a truly magnificent game and I would recommend it to anyone who has an appetite for some blood (and a good enough rig) Expand
  45. Nov 12, 2012
    Graphics, detailed models and artwork are good. The game play is entertaining for a short time, the player only has skills of combat, but no perks or other tactics that employs the assassin, in other words has very limited capabilities.The game has no re playability, and has no Multiplayer.So far seen few bugs.The story and the main characters are good, make you keep playing.
  46. Nov 18, 2013
    This game is very well done, with a great story, great gameplay, great graphics, and great everything. The story will keep you intrigued and keeps you moving forward. Planning the Assassination of each of your targets is interesting, as you have to do investigation to find out more about them. Such as how to infiltrate the building they are currently in, the location of guards, why the target is there, places to climb to get a nice view of the target.
    This game will keep completionist occupied, as to get %100 you have to kill 60 Templars, and get a set of flags from each of the three main cities.
    You can find secrets in areas in the game that will reveal parts of story you might miss completely.

The story is odd, and is a little original but it may have been done before. I don't want to give anything away. But you most of the time you play as Altair, or 'The son of none', who has to assassinate nine targets in three cities in each district of that city (poor, middle, rich). Each memory block contains an assassination (1/2/3).
    Memory Blocks are split up so you can get story bits in between, out of the animus.

Part of the game takes outside of the animus, which can read memories of your ancestors. Altair is the ancestor of Desmond Miles, a bartender. The animus can read his DNA to access Altair's memories. Like I said I am not going to spoil anything, but this game will interest you.

Buy this game.
  47. Sep 11, 2012
    Assassin's Creed İs Getting You Back To 1191 So İts A Rare Game.Map İs Very Big.Cities Are Very Big.Atmosphere is Good. Graphics are Very Good For 2008.And Assassinating Someone İs Enjoyable.You Can Climb Everywhere So İts Enjoyable Game.
  48. Nov 24, 2012
    This game is nearly perfect. The storyline is a bit controversial but it unfolds in an amazing fashion as you are transported back and forth in time to relive the "memories" of your assassin ancestors. The developers took great pains to faithfully recreate the Holy Lands during an early crusade and bring times and places to life. One of my favorite parts of this game was simply scaling the large building and taking in the historic scenery. The controls were amazing, IMO, even with the mouse and keyboard. The ability to scale nearly every building, leap from the highest heights, and fight crowds of soldiers, all with an amazing fluidity and a profoundly deep level of control makes this one of the most enjoyable games you will ever play. I can agree with those who found the game a bit repetitive at times, particularly if you do the storyline first and then go back to try to get full synchronization; however, if you take your time and do all the side quests in an area before moving on to the next part of the storyline, it really isn't too bad. The only reason this game doesn't get a full 10 out of 10 is because once you finish the storyline, which doesn't feel rushed or too short, you really have no reason to play it again. It's like watching a great movie that you feel totally satisfied to have watched, but have no interest in watching again... sure you really look forward to the sequel, but you aren't going to do the first one over since you know how it is going to end and there is nothing new or exciting the second time around. . Expand
  49. Dec 22, 2011
    I really love the Assassin's Creed series, I like this game very much. I like the graphics too. Great controls and story, the enemies need some more voices, but that's alright. The thing I don't like is that the structure of the missions is repetitive, and sometimes the dialog is too long. Other than that, it is a good game to buy. 9 out of 10 is what I give it.
  50. Dec 30, 2011
    I'm a huge fan of the Assassin's creed series, but this one i could not get into at all. At first i loved it because I could run around and collect things but that grew old and repetitive just like the story missions. Near the end it gets less repetitive but you have to grind through many same-thing different-story missions to get there. The only reason this gets a 4 from me is because the story that it lays down for the rest of the series. Expand
  51. Oct 19, 2011
    I really tried to like this game, but overall it was so repetitive it started to feel like a chore to finish. Go here, view here, complete objectives, and return to Masyaf. Aside from the historic holy land cities you visit (where you wash, rinse and repeat) the story is interesting and the visuals are great. The repetition leaves a bad after taste in your mouth, but this game also helps to setup the Assassin's Creed franchise. Not all is bad here, but it just wasn't well thought out and executed. Expand
  52. Apr 30, 2011
    Beautiful, detailed game. Authentic medieval feel. Great animations. Climbing tall structures gives genuine feeling of vertigo which never gets old. Repetitive and boring game play however which evolves little as game progresses. Annoying combat sequences. Little motivation to complete lengthy campaign beyond concluding the story. Excruciating game menu interface.
  53. Sep 3, 2013
    this game is the one that made history is not boring and of course this game is one of the best game in the world this game is the one that started the assassin's creed franchise made this franchise one of the best open world game in the world
  54. Nov 29, 2013
    Personally I love the Assassins Creed series. The story is great and is full of excitement and depth. I prefer Assassins Creed over the other games in the series. This game has a very good story line to it and i recommend playing it if you like stealth and assassinating games then this is the game for you. The story has a big twist at the end of it which keeps you on you feet. The end of the game really shows you about the continuing story from Assassin's Creed & Assassin's Creed II via Desmond Miles. Although this is a great game i cannot deny that there are some problems in the gameplay. For example there are a few bugs that get annoying in the storyline, the fighting also has problems and the occasional glitch. But overall its a great game and i recommended it to those who love these types of games.

This is AssassinReviews,
    Thanks for reading :D
  55. Jul 28, 2014
    Hack'n'slash creed is a good game. Unfortunately, they called it Assassin's Creed, and if you think you're playing a stealth game, you'll be totally frustrated. By bad controls. By tedious mechanics. By lack of imagination. By stupid AI that can't see you in front of them sometimes and is super reactive other times. There is no cover, there is no hide, you really can't strategize the missions that much. You can just try to "blend" but it doesn't even work that well.

Ok, it was the first of the franchise.. but it feels really old (the characters, the story.. the mechanics.. it's all so naive and outdated).

Only good remark: the good graphics, for a 2008 game - but considering I played it with a total retexturing mod, that uses textures from Revelations.
  56. Jun 22, 2014
    This game was one of the best games I have played in a long time. Ubisoft did well. The story is great but there are a few flaws. The game is repetitive. You basically have to get a certain same requirement for each chapter. For example, you needed three investigations and they were pretty much the same throughout the whole story. You also needed to do view points and save citizens which pretty much got boring. The game also does not explain well on who the characters and places are. The visuals for its time is astonishing. The game makes you feel and care about certain characters whether good or bad. I would give this game an 85/100. Expand
  57. Jun 8, 2011
    One of the best games I have ever played, and much better then the second.This game is full of action, semi liinear (You may need to do the storyline to unlick certain things, which is pretty common, such as areas and items) VERY underated, should be at least an 8.6 or higher.The repetetive part of the game is veiw points when you first enter the city.Many beleive the investigations repetetive, but this is fixed with the director's cut.A must have. Expand
  58. Aug 12, 2012
    This is a very good game. Its graphics are superb and the storyline is well thought out and gripping. Basically, you play as a 21st century person who uses a machine to relive the life of his ancestor-Altair, an assassin in the 12th century. Altair messes up a mission and is demoted in his assassin guild. In order to regain his high rank Altair is tasked by his master to assassinate a number of Templars-his guild's mortal enemies, including their grand master. The story has an interesting conclusion-I'll leave it at that. The gameplay is fluid and amazing. My only real criticisms are that the NPCs don't do much else other than walk around and utter the odd sentence. Also, most of the time you simply duel your target face-to-face, rather than employing skill to take them out stealthily. Overall, a great game! Expand
  59. Aug 30, 2012
    A good start, but not more. The following games are better. Me missions are not very difficulty, but the open world feeling ist very cool. The graphics were awesome that time.
  60. Sep 24, 2013
    I wasn't astounded by the graphics and game engine, though both were really good, especially the latter but the depth of the game and way it handled were terrible. The side tasks were just moronic- help the same type of citizen in every town, stealth-kill some hoodlums for some unknown brother, eagle view of the city and jumping into haystacks without any harm. The fight engine was pretty decent if you don't mention the fact that whilst killing soldiers others wait in a queue for their turn. Menus, the way it handled, the chore of exiting, uncuttable cutscenes, and the amount of unnecessary keys you had to push to do most things I gather were a thing of the concole but should have never found their way onto a PC. Also I had to kill most soldiers on my way because that was the easier way of getting rid of them after they saw Altair galloping around- killing should be the last thing an assassin does and not an easier way of travelling. And don't get me started on the need to hide after you ran away from enemies- why should I hide if I already lost them?!
    I imagine this must have been quite a thing for the console since it was uncomplicated and quite flashy but for me it was a boring, unimmaginative advanced hack'n'slash. A terrible port. It should've been called "Hack'n'slasher's creed".
  61. Aug 12, 2010
    This game is mediocore at most. The combat system is repetitive, and the assassinations are surprisingly linear. All that is fun to do is basically the free-running, and even that gets boring at sometime. I like the concept, but it is just too repetitive to be a good game.
  62. Sep 4, 2010
    Great game, the storyline slowly unfolds and the main character pulls off some amazing moves in a visually stunning backdrop. Does tend to become a bit repetitive after a while though.
  63. Mar 23, 2013
    Why this game has earned the respect of so many people? It seems very repetitive. The only thing acceptable was that the story engages, the rest is always the same Even the dialogues of the characters in the cities are repeated over and over again, not to mention the damn beggars and madmen that you pull to one side... PC is also very hard to play with keyboard, since I tried to play with it but it's impossible to configure it, because each time I enter the game again is dropped and buttons are misplaced. I put it a 1 for the story... Expand
  64. Jun 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game leaves a awesome positive mindset everytime you quit. One thing that is even remotely bad is quitting the game. It takes over a minute to exit the memory and the animus then quit the game. You cant skip cutscenes but usually they are so big of a deal you possibly cannot play without them, most of them are interactive so you can still do something while watching them. You get used to the keyboard controls very soon but it is clear that they didn't think of the mouse. the game has good graphics for it's age. The experience is intresting after memory block 1 and 2. The assassinations are really difficult if you don't exactly know what you are doing (one instance: I didn't play for a while and started playing right before an assassination and got killed over 20 times). the game is well balanced you are really agile and have to fight against a lot of enemies. Counter attacks may even be the most important thing in the game. Expand
  65. Jul 31, 2011
    i`liked playing the game but before it ends it got a bit boring, because the missions are often the same und you must travel long distances without happening much...

++ graphics
    + atmosphere
    + controls
    ~ story
    - - Missions
    - - menu controls
  66. Jul 13, 2012
    Great story, graphics and animations are very good, Killing people it is repetitive because your an assassin and all your job to do is to kill people and all the objectives are great...
  67. Aug 18, 2012
    Really great game, provided you play it with a controller. Unfortunate fact of the matter is keyboard and mouse controls are rather bad. But if you're set with a controller there's a bunch of cool stuff here. Ubisoft made a huge emphasis on controls in this game. Just from pressing your left analog stick at different intensities, there are around 4 different walking animations, and then there's another animation for running once you hit the "high profile" button. This allows you to seamlessly transition between movement speeds for incredibly tight and precise controls. This ties in beautifully with the game's focus on parkour style gameplay. Climbing up Jerusalem's tallest buildings and beholding the surrounding view is an amazing experience.

Sadly, the game does suffer from lack of variety in combat and missions. Not enough to spoil the experience though. Between the controls, the gritty atmosphere and plot, and the environments, there's quite a lot to enjoy. here A real step forward for action platformers in my opinion.
  68. Jan 6, 2013
    Awesome graphics, fantastic gameplay, but plotline is repetitive even though the story as a whole is one of the best i've seen/played. The only thing that drove me forward was the Desmond part and conspiracy theories about religion.
  69. Sep 10, 2013
    This game is the worst disappointment I had in 20 years of gaming, also for all the hype around the series. The first 2 hours are great. Then it's just the same over and over again and you can't wait to complete it and get rid of it. PROS: - graphics are great, considering how old it is. -The cities are beautiful and interesting. - The story is ok. Nothing special though. CONS: - controls with mouse and keyboard are plain terrible. Just do you a favour and play with a gamepad.
    - The game is REPETITIVE as hell. You do stupid tasks over and over again.
    - Combat is boring, frustrating without being challenging. You have 2/3 moves in total and always have to deal with large groups. Assassin style.
    - The game is more linear than Virtua Cop. Complete absence of any freedom in the storyline. There is some free roaming, but there is no reason to waste time picking up flags around.
    - Hours of cinematics, and you can't skip them even if you have to replay some mission

You are an assassin. A deadly assassin. That's why the last hour of gameplay you will roleplay as a Barbarian and fight some 100 enemies in groups of 10.
  70. Apr 15, 2013
    The game was greatly advertised but with poor creativity. With very repetitive side and main quests. Really hope the others are better. It was good at the beginning and at the end, despite that, what motivated me to continue playing was the curiosity to play the sequels and due to its nice graphics.
  71. Jun 24, 2013
    Assassin's Creed ended up being a very fun game to play, however there are certain qualities that can make it less fun than it should be. Certain civilians (Beggars and lepers, specifically) keep bugging you. So much so that I had to actually parkour out of the way whenever I saw one approaching. The combat can be rather tedious, although new moves you gain after each assassination do help to relieve that. But the biggest problem I have with this game would be the missions, which often end up being the same.

Yet with all of these qualities, it still stands as a good game, not only for it's great visuals and music, but also because with each mission you can actually understand who the victim is, why you're killing him, and how he could see what he was doing as a good thing; something that most modern shooters miss entirely. It also gives a great sense of character development as the main character actually undergoes a major change throughout the story, as those around him begin to notice.

TL;DR Assassin's Creed has it's flaws, but is a great game, overall.
  72. Aug 19, 2013
    All in all you can say that the game is good. The story is okay, but you have to do the same thing again and again, so it gets boring. The graphical quality and game-play are good. Only some bugs and glitches, but nothing to get excited about.

Finally it's totally worth 7 points and you should play it
  73. Jan 29, 2013

1. Playing as gaming's most agile character is joyous, which outweighs the lengthy cutscenes and disappointing final hour. [Apr 2008, p.38]
  2. Assassin’s Creed for the PC is a pretty compelling action game that benefits from huge environments and an interesting story. While the main campaign can get a bit repetitive, the new Director’s Cut features add some nice variety.
    What you're left with is a repetitive side-quest requirement for completing each primary mission, though the issue is alleviated somewhat with the PC version's additional content.