7.6

1. Aug 4, 2011
    The story is good - EA did an awesome job doing historical research.
    However, the game play has the following pattern that does not change:
    Get Assignment, Kill soldiers, Assassinate Target. Next. Guess what - using a Knife!
    After third assignment - i uninstalled this game from my computer.
  2. Mar 19, 2012
    A GAME WITH BIG "BUTS" +++
    I'm a huge fan of medieval games and a huge fan of stealth games, so Assassin's Creed was my game of choice the moment I played it for five minutes on a friends PS3. Graphics are well done, no doubt about that, assets, clothes, armour and architecture put you back into the time of crusades without too many fantasy like touches -- as an upcoming reenactor I found
    this very inspiring!
    +++
    Game controls are a joy to play with. While many jump'n'run games fail to guide you along thin beam or on critical jumps, you really have to force your character off, which can be done quite well after a little practice. As mentioned before this sometimes gets into your way when your character automatically grabs ladders or beams to climb, while you actually want to run/fall/whatever.
    +++
    The fighting system is nice in terms of animations and feeling, but it is way too easy. While you are able to draw attention at you by an entire crusaders encampment you may get surrounded by 20 knights in a "circle of death", meaning you only fight one enemy at a time. Despite the honor of your enemies you will never get attacked when lying on the ground after you made a bad turn. You can use instant kill counterattacks efficiently after the first few fight leaving no challenge to such situations!
    +++
    As an assassin your job is to kill hits (people of influence, nobles, etc.) and nothing is more useful but having some clues on your hit before you strike. The game does not only offer clues, it forces you to collect them by playing repeating mini games. Even failing at those mini games is not a loss as you may retry as many times as you like -- so no pressure. After all clues you get are not only things you already know or you get to know -- at least while you try to find your "contacts" for the clues -- but they also have no impact on how you will strike! There usually is only one way in, no way to really prepare your strike and no way to strike silently. It always ends in a "honorable" fight (mentioned above) so you could rush right through if you didn't had to do those (now) pointless mini games....
    +++
    As mentioned before AI behavior only focuses on the player and gets really annoying as you -- the one in a robe wandering with the monks -- are literally attacked by beggars in a place crawling with nobles wearing silk more worth than half of the city.
    +++
    The story of Assassin's Creed has a nice idea inside. In good story telling characters called "shapeshifter" are the ones who betray you, fooling you to have worked for the wrong side after a long way, but still leaving you -- the player -- fooled as well when done well. Assassin's Creed tries that as well, leaving hints by each hit that you are fooled and if you have an IQ greater than a stone you will get it at least after the 3rd hit. This would not be the problem if there were not 6-7 more! From this point on I was not that motivated very much as I -- the character -- had to do things I -- the player -- didn't really want to do.
    +++
    I kept playing until the final punch in the face: You finally know what the master plan was behind everything in this game, but then suddenly be left alone in solitary, able to walk around, use "the machine" or literally find "the game's credits on a wall". The game has no satisfying ending, keeping you -- the player -- eager to continue right there. You may call it "cliffhanger" but it felt like someone ran off with the bag of money two month before the game was finished....
    +++
    CONCLUSION: The game is fun for one or two hours with so many ideas BUT looses depth quickly, like a teaser shooting all golden moments of a movie. As a "pilot" of a series it failed to get me....
  3. Dec 30, 2011
    I'm a huge fan of the Assassin's creed series, but this one i could not get into at all. At first i loved it because I could run around and collect things but that grew old and repetitive just like the story missions. Near the end it gets less repetitive but you have to grind through many same-thing different-story missions to get there. The only reason this gets a 4 from me is because the story that it lays down for the rest of the series. Expand
  4. Aug 18, 2012
    Really great game, provided you play it with a controller. Unfortunate fact of the matter is keyboard and mouse controls are rather bad. But if you're set with a controller there's a bunch of cool stuff here. Ubisoft made a huge emphasis on controls in this game. Just from pressing your left analog stick at different intensities, there are around 4 different walking animations, and then there's another animation for running once you hit the "high profile" button. This allows you to seamlessly transition between movement speeds for incredibly tight and precise controls. This ties in beautifully with the game's focus on parkour style gameplay. Climbing up Jerusalem's tallest buildings and beholding the surrounding view is an amazing experience.

Sadly, the game does suffer from lack of variety in combat and missions. Not enough to spoil the experience though. Between the controls, the gritty atmosphere and plot, and the environments, there's quite a lot to enjoy. here A real step forward for action platformers in my opinion.
  5. Aug 30, 2012
    A good start, but not more. The following games are better. Me missions are not very difficulty, but the open world feeling ist very cool. The graphics were awesome that time.
  6. Oct 19, 2011
    I really tried to like this game, but overall it was so repetitive it started to feel like a chore to finish. Go here, view here, complete objectives, and return to Masyaf. Aside from the historic holy land cities you visit (where you wash, rinse and repeat) the story is interesting and the visuals are great. The repetition leaves a bad after taste in your mouth, but this game also helps to setup the Assassin's Creed franchise. Not all is bad here, but it just wasn't well thought out and executed. Expand
  7. Nov 22, 2010
    Yet another half-arsed attempt to milk the pc market on money. It's a port at its worst, a growing trend.

Virtually everything about this game is bad. The only thing that stands out is the graphics, it certainly isn't crysis but not all that terrible.
    But everything else is, as said, terrible. The controls or inhumane, it's almost as if they randomly assigned key bindings.
    Now I said it's
    a bad port and it first shows when moving the camera, it's a standard console camera, not suitable for the PC-market since it get stuck, it's not really a idealistic viewpoint.
    The second proof that no work was put in porting this game whatsoever is the fact that you have to lock onto a target in order to fight it, it simply doesn't work and isn't needed on a computer.

Even if the controls and the game handled like a regular PC game the story is meagre -- at best.
    It's a very cliché game, I won't go into details but I can think of several books and films that have already pulled that thing off. It's not interesting any more. For the younger and casual audience this isn't perhaps an issue at all, but for a gamer like me that view games like art it certainly isn't impressive.

This game isn't worthwhile playing, regardless of the price, heck even if you got it for free!
  8. Dec 7, 2011
    Controls... Controls... Controls... This game loses everything at that point. I don't remember a game that i finished and still don't know the controls.
  9. Apr 30, 2011
    Beautiful, detailed game. Authentic medieval feel. Great animations. Climbing tall structures gives genuine feeling of vertigo which never gets old. Repetitive and boring game play however which evolves little as game progresses. Annoying combat sequences. Little motivation to complete lengthy campaign beyond concluding the story. Excruciating game menu interface.
  10. JYT
    Jan 6, 2012
    - only work is done on the graphism and riding the horse is nice
    - the story is simple: follow the doth, only one route to the end and no multiple route for the character.
    - it means no decision making
    - the last fight using the mouse has a bug and the support team was not able to solve the problem, they give and all-made answer of updating drivers although the rest of the game works well
    the system.
    - Who is the stupid game developper who did not bother programming the function "Quit", "Save and Quit" ??????
  11. Jan 16, 2013
    While not nearly as refined as later titles, the original AC game stands on its own merits too. It features a compelling story, great atmosphere, and fresh gameplay mechanics. I found the parts where you must control Desmond to be rather tedious, but thankfully they are relatively short and do at least help to build up the story. The actual heart of the game, playing as Altair the assassin, is plenty of fun. The world is fairly large and mostly open, so you can explore, cause havoc, or do missions largely at your own pace. The cities are beautiful and each have their own look and feel, whether it's the holy city of Jerusalem, the crusader fortress of Acre, or the Muslim city of Damascus. Unfortunately the game provides you with limited weapons (you don't have the luxury of crossbows or smoke bombs as in later games), and most major assassination missions end up in huge sword-fights or long desperate chases. Still, there's nothing quite like hearing the chase music pumping as you leap around rooftops trying to escape a horde of pissed guards! Expand
  12. Aug 12, 2012
    This is a very good game. Its graphics are superb and the storyline is well thought out and gripping. Basically, you play as a 21st century person who uses a machine to relive the life of his ancestor-Altair, an assassin in the 12th century. Altair messes up a mission and is demoted in his assassin guild. In order to regain his high rank Altair is tasked by his master to assassinate a number of Templars-his guild's mortal enemies, including their grand master. The story has an interesting conclusion-I'll leave it at that. The gameplay is fluid and amazing. My only real criticisms are that the NPCs don't do much else other than walk around and utter the odd sentence. Also, most of the time you simply duel your target face-to-face, rather than employing skill to take them out stealthily. Overall, a great game! Expand
  13. Mar 23, 2013
    Why this game has earned the respect of so many people? It seems very repetitive. The only thing acceptable was that the story engages, the rest is always the same Even the dialogues of the characters in the cities are repeated over and over again, not to mention the damn beggars and madmen that you pull to one side... PC is also very hard to play with keyboard, since I tried to play with it but it's impossible to configure it, because each time I enter the game again is dropped and buttons are misplaced. I put it a 1 for the story... Expand
  14. Jun 25, 2013
    I really tried to like this game and it does have some things going for it. It looks good, it has very open maps and the premise (being stealthy assassin) sounds great.

Unfortunately this game is very repetitive. Basically every mission is exactly the same and every map has the same scripted things you need to do and can do. This gets old somewhere around third mission. I originally
    expected something more like Thief series. Optional side quests like "collect zillion flags around the map, to get nothing concrete" also don't help.

It's also mind boggling why we need convoluted double plot. You see, all the assassin stuff actually happens inside this guy's head who is kidnapped by some organization in present time and placed inside machine that can play his "genetic memory". I really can't see any relevance or added value between this and the game's central idea of being medieval assassin. Granted that I didn't finish the game so I don't know if it starts to make sense at some point.

All in all, the game is ok. Unfortunately, there are tons of better ways to spend your time than this game. It offers nothing exceptional or memorable.
  15. Aug 12, 2010
    This game is mediocore at most. The combat system is repetitive, and the assassinations are surprisingly linear. All that is fun to do is basically the free-running, and even that gets boring at sometime. I like the concept, but it is just too repetitive to be a good game.
  16. Sep 4, 2010
    Great game, the storyline slowly unfolds and the main character pulls off some amazing moves in a visually stunning backdrop. Does tend to become a bit repetitive after a while though.
  17. Oct 14, 2010
    I bought this for PC because it was on sale on Steam for $5. You should only plan to buy this for PC if you have a computer capable of taking advantage of the graphics vs a console and if you have a controller (the game instantly recognized my Logitech Rumblepad 2). The PC controls are beyond awful. Controls aside, this game had some good ideas for assassination but could have been executed much better. Every aspect in the game is repetitive. All three cities you explore look exactly the same. The AI citizens same the exact same things, perhaps in a different accent. The missions you do are indistinguishable from the other. Saving citizens, finding flags, chasing people down, everything you do in the game is pretty much restricted to those few actions. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if the story was good, but it's not. While getting to the end was intense, the long middle was just hunting down an evil person, killing them and viewing their cinematics, then repeat. You meet no indistinguishable characters and everything gets REALLY boring, REALLY fast. I can only think of one reason to recommend anyone to play Assassin's Creed, and that is to play Assassin's Creed II. While it's not mandatory to play it to understand AC2's backstory, it's nice to be less confused in the game. And believe me, AC2 fixes EVERYTHING from the first game, and adds so much more. Assassin's Creed II alone, makes the first game worth playing. Expand
  18. Mar 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Those guys who gaves scores below 5 they didn't even finished the game.. The reason? they say ots bad ported, bugs, lag...
    Well hello, if you want to play a mans game, then buy a dam **** mans PC...
    Assassins creed was th best game ever released, thank GOD somebody had the idea releasing such a beautiful game, thnak you.. The game is PERFECT. There are some repetitive missions but killing people is repetitive too isn't?? Every game has to be repetitive with something.. I enjoyed the game and i bought Assassins Creed 2 6 month later and now i bought assassins Creed Brotherhood and i already completed it... Dam, thats what i call a Game!!! Assassins Creed for Ever!!!
  19. Jun 10, 2011
    OK, I usually don't like games that are set in middle ages, but this was a surprise. The graphics are awesome but my computer could handle this only on the lowest settings and that's the reason why I don't try Assassin's Creed 2 and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. Even the lowest settings are great! The story is about a dude. In 2012 he has been held in captivity by a mad scientist. He puts the dude in sort of a time machine (or what the hell it is) called Animus. You actually control the dude. The environment is massive and you can go wherever you want. You will be in Middle East and there is a village, a big kingdom, and three cities - Jerusalem, Damascus and Acre. There are there three areas in each city - rich class people area, medium class people area and poor class people area. All those things are nice but sadly, that you do the same thing over and over again. There are some bugs too. Two or three times I fell out of the graphics. The good thing is that you can climb walls, jump from roof to roof etc. The controls are a bit confusing but you will get used to them.

Graphics: They are awesome 10/10
    Sound: I usually play and don't listen to sounds
    Gameplay: 7/10 because of the repetitive gameplay
    Story: Great but confusing 8/10
  20. Jul 23, 2011
    Assassin's Creed is fun and challenging. It puts the player in a setting in the 12th century, during king Richard the Lionheart's crusades. The player takes on a role of an assassin Altair, who is part of a secret group of assassins. The game offers a free roaming gameplay and takes place in 4 cities, as well as a countryside in between those. The graphics are very rich, with stunning environments, the locations are well designed, and the quests are pretty fun, even though somewhat repetitive after a while. My favourite thing about Assassin's Creed is its fantastic combat mechanic. I can fight guards day in day out and not get bored of it, because there are a number of moves you can perform in combat, with the most addictive one being counter attacks, which can instantly kill an attacking enemy if timed well. And if you aren't up for a fight, you can play a cat and mouse game with the guards, run through the city streets, dodging civilians, jumping through merchant stands and eventually disappearing in a good hiding place. There are only 5-6 different types of quests which you have to do in every city and every city district, but they do get more challenging as you progress through the game. At the end of each set of sidequests you have to assassinate a certain corrupt leader, and even though that's a repetitive structure to a game, you still face a different challenge with each leader (for example one you might need to chase, another one to face in battle, third one to stealthly kill, etc). The storyline maybe isn't anything special, but it's not exactly bad either. It's predictable to a degree, but it's not stale. Repetition might be one issue in the game, but I don't mind it so much, so long as the game is fun. However there are a couple of issues I wasn't too fond of. First one was that it took a while to get used to the controls. The fact there are separate buttons for each limb and a button for a high profile stance can get confusing in the beginning. Another problem that brought the game down a bit was that whenever you entered an area where a cinematic had to occur, you would suddenly not be able to do anything apart from walking until the cinematic triggers. This means that if you tried to enter through a roof, you basically wouldn't be able to jump down and would be stuck on a ledge. Other than those few issues the game is good. Expand
  21. Nov 8, 2011
    I just want to start off by saying that I actually do enjoy this game, even if it might come across overly critical. I bought it a week or so ago, and have had about 10 hours play time with it now, won't be long either, till it is completed, at least with regards to the main story line.

The graphics, for 2008 are very good, but, ofcourse, compared to todays standards they're not really
    that great, at all. Especially the character models and animations can sometimes have me cringing in my shoes, but I'll survive. The scenery, and the "finish", the aesthetics, are wonderful, though. I like the "dirty" look/feel to the game graphically, and it conveys a proper sense of atmosphere to the time period. Textures could be bumped up, alot, though.

Sound and VA works fine, but the lip synch is nothing special, at all. This generation has featured, even older games, with better synching than this. All in all though, it works, but its not getting a 10/10 based on sound, VA and synching though.

Gameplay wise it is pretty repetitive, listen to this guy, do this guy's challenge, pickpocket that guy, beat up the third guy and boom you are set to assassinate someone who will give you another piece to the storyline. So far, for me, the story line does seem quite intriguing, which is, as far as I see it (in this day and age) the one reason to play this game now. Especially seeing as Assassin's Creed II, Brotherhood and Revelations and the future Assassin's Creed III builds onto this storyline.

Combat is a bit odd if I have to be honest. Yes you can hit someone with the sword, or stab someone with your hidden knife. If you are discovered, well, hold down right mouse button and stare at the screen until an enemy attacks you, then press left mouse button, and said enemy will either die or be out of combat for a while. You will be pretty much unkillable with right mouse button held, and left mouse button will kill people for you. It is rather simplistic, and would have worked fine, with a few more kill animations. There are quite a few, but you see them soooo often that they get tedious in the end. The first few times are very awesome though.

Camera angling and control is horrible, it sometimes just does whatever the hell it wants to do and your sat wondering "wtf?" that is pretty much all there is to say to it.

By 2008 standards it might have been an 8 or 9/10, by todays standards it would barely scrape a 7, but then again, for the money it costs these days, there are quite alot of fun to be had, and the story is pretty good. So 7/10 from me.
  22. Jun 8, 2011
    One of the best games I have ever played, and much better then the second.This game is full of action, semi liinear (You may need to do the storyline to unlick certain things, which is pretty common, such as areas and items) VERY underated, should be at least an 8.6 or higher.The repetetive part of the game is veiw points when you first enter the city.Many beleive the investigations repetetive, but this is fixed with the director's cut.A must have. Expand
  23. Jul 31, 2011
    i`liked playing the game but before it ends it got a bit boring, because the missions are often the same und you must travel long distances without happening much...

++ graphics
    + atmosphere
    + controls
    ~ story
    - - Missions
    - - menu controls
  24. Oct 14, 2013
    While not as good as the sequels that followed, the original game set the bar high, in fact it's a testament to the others that they managed to beat it. The open world stealth and assassination gameplay template that many games followed was exemplified here.
  25. May 21, 2013
    Extremely bland. The only thing holding this game up is its great story and engaging main missions. Every so often you'll be sent to kill a key target, and the mission to do so is a high point in the game. Unfortunately, everything else in between is very lackluster and boring. The same missions are repeated over and over in each city you go to and it's just not fun. I recommend reading the wiki article to get the story down and then start playing ACII. Expand
  26. Jun 12, 2012
    Assassin's Creed is an enjoyable new game where people who are fond of conspiracies will surely enjoy the amazing storyline with a twist. Players will also enjoy the amazing unique gameplay and the different views of places which are based upon actual real life locations. Any person who is a fan of Action, stealth or sandbox games will surely love this game and will be glad to add it to their collection. Expand
  27. Dec 22, 2011
    I really love the Assassin's Creed series, I like this game very much. I like the graphics too. Great controls and story, the enemies need some more voices, but that's alright. The thing I don't like is that the structure of the missions is repetitive, and sometimes the dialog is too long. Other than that, it is a good game to buy. 9 out of 10 is what I give it.
  28. Dec 28, 2011
    This is a brilliant port to PC. Ubisoft listened to the complaints that people had about the console version, and came out with a refined, improved game on the PC. Unfortunately, I had to play this beauty on a on board graphics card which couldn't even run it on the lowest settings without lag. I struggled through the game with a framerate dipping as low as 5fps. After recently investing in a new graphics card I discovered that it was a truly magnificent game and I would recommend it to anyone who has an appetite for some blood (and a good enough rig) Expand
  29. Dec 29, 2011
    The game is nothing special. The assassin's creed series is fantastic but this game is just repetitive and boring, but it's not awful. It's easy, repetitive... blah. BUT, I recommend to play this before you play the rest of the games. Really, it's important. Anyway, it's a perfect port.
  30. Jul 23, 2012
    Having played through, and for the most part- loving- the later Assassin's Creed games, I was really looking forward to seeing how the series started. Unfortunately, it seems there were some large growing pains with this first incarnation of the franchice. I have to agree with others who point out the repetitiveness of the missions once you get past the first three memories. The amount of time I have to spend synchronizing viewpoints and such just to unlock yet more-of-the-same types of missions is frankly exhausting. I can forgive the terrible combat controls and copy/paste generic NPC's everywhere, but if a game can't at least keep me entertained and wanting to see what happens next, it's just not worth it. Also worth noting is how wooden and unemotional Altair sounds throughout most of the game. The "animus translation" excuse just isn't sufficient for him to feel very out of place when compared to almost any of the other characters, whose performances are much more realistic. The modern-day exposition concerning Lucy and Abstergo is worth getting to hear, but not nearly good enough to save the rest of the game from being tedious and uninteresting. If you're a die-hard AC fan, you'll probably want it in your collection. Whether or not you'll be able to finish it is another question entirely. Expand

1. Playing as gaming's most agile character is joyous, which outweighs the lengthy cutscenes and disappointing final hour. [Apr 2008, p.38]
  2. Assassin’s Creed for the PC is a pretty compelling action game that benefits from huge environments and an interesting story. While the main campaign can get a bit repetitive, the new Director’s Cut features add some nice variety.
    What you're left with is a repetitive side-quest requirement for completing each primary mission, though the issue is alleviated somewhat with the PC version's additional content.