Assassin's Creed II PC

6.9

1. Matt
    Jun 13, 2010
    I am rating this purely on the game itself, not the Ubisoft DRM (which i didn't need to worry about because i cracked the game[shhh tell no one!]). The graphics, beautiful. The Free running, excellent, some tweaks made to improve it, and endless fun to be had. The story, FANTASTIC, and WAY better than Assassins creed 1. There is more to do, and a wider, more diverse range of I am rating this purely on the game itself, not the Ubisoft DRM (which i didn't need to worry about because i cracked the game[shhh tell no one!]). The graphics, beautiful. The Free running, excellent, some tweaks made to improve it, and endless fun to be had. The story, FANTASTIC, and WAY better than Assassins creed 1. There is more to do, and a wider, more diverse range of directions to go, so it is not the same things over and over again. And the events that are taking place interest you and draw you in. The Combat system remains largely unchanged, but larger scale of enemy difficulties makes for some more challenging and often more enjoyable fights. And I love the cash aspect of this game. Instead of just having a sword and a dagger, the ability to buy and upgrade weapons, to save for the next one, is great! Plus the ability to upgrade the Villa (Sort of home town) in order to gain more revenue is good as. So, based purely on playing the game itself, i give it a 10. I give Ubisoft a 0 for trying their hardest to lose as many customers as they can, but admittedly they've put out a damn good game. I will add that this is an obvious console port, with the menu better controllable with keys, as well as the game telling you to press the "hand" key rather than the shift key (the HUD has an Xbox button style diamond like in Assassins Creed 1, with images corresponding to each button on an Xbox controller). Once you get past this, and the keys become muscle memory, you will have no more issues with it. I would give it 9.5/10 but there's no such option so I'm rounding up. Expand
  2. Sep 30, 2011
    DRM aside, Assassin's Creed II is and awesome game, sure the controls can be frustrating, but the story and characters are stunning. Graphics are good too... until you get up close.
  3. Apr 1, 2011
    Great game, but the default control scheme is horrible. The tutorials, such as they are, don't provide much help in learning the controls, because all they show is little icons instead of what the actual keys you are supposed to press. Still, after a remap and learning the controls, it's a very easy thing to go off flying across rooftops and enjoying the scenery of Italy.
  4. Mar 24, 2011
    Lots of side missions that add depth to the main storyline game. Great main storylinethat builds Ezio from his womanizing care-free beginnings into the iconic assassin of the order. Various ways to complete objective even if gameplay is linear. Would have liked different endings depending on how you complete objectives. Gameplay mechanics improved from the original, but a more intelligentLots of side missions that add depth to the main storyline game. Great main storylinethat builds Ezio from his womanizing care-free beginnings into the iconic assassin of the order. Various ways to complete objective even if gameplay is linear. Would have liked different endings depending on how you complete objectives. Gameplay mechanics improved from the original, but a more intelligent and agressive AI would have been ideal and felt like a cake walk. Music by Jesper Kyd is phenomenal. (as always)
    -0.5 DRM issues (tisk tisk Ubisoft)
    -0.5 Creativity. (Repetitive Missions)
  5. Mar 7, 2012
    An artistic masterpiece, providing an incredibly deep and immersive storyline. The character realism was fabulous. The voice acting is outstanding. Ezio feels like Antonio Banderas combining a romancing charm with his cold-hearted killer instincts. The fundamentals of the original game have been vastly improved upon. Many of the finishing moves are just spectacular to watch; the doubleAn artistic masterpiece, providing an incredibly deep and immersive storyline. The character realism was fabulous. The voice acting is outstanding. Ezio feels like Antonio Banderas combining a romancing charm with his cold-hearted killer instincts. The fundamentals of the original game have been vastly improved upon. Many of the finishing moves are just spectacular to watch; the double switchblade faceplant always brings a smile to my face.

Straight up combat is still a weak point in the game, but they increased the fun factor by providing more means to avoid it like hiring thieves, using smoke bombs, creating a distraction by throwing money, strategically placing corpses, and assassinating targets from distance with a pistol. At ~30 gameplay hours, Assassin's Creed II was an amazing experience.
  6. Aug 9, 2012
    Gorgeous graphics and scenery. Well crafted and fun. Excellent work. Picked it up for a couple bucks on a sale and I have been playing this game for hours on end and I love it so much I will buy every AC version hereafter now. People complaining of DRM stuff are thieves themselves and whiny babies. Pay for the game losers. Those that complain that it's not made for PC are liars asGorgeous graphics and scenery. Well crafted and fun. Excellent work. Picked it up for a couple bucks on a sale and I have been playing this game for hours on end and I love it so much I will buy every AC version hereafter now. People complaining of DRM stuff are thieves themselves and whiny babies. Pay for the game losers. Those that complain that it's not made for PC are liars as well. I am only running an AMD 4800+ dual core cpu with 4gb ram and an nvidia 9800 GT video card and I'm running the game at 1600 X 1050 at high resolution with no problems whatsoever. Expand
  7. Mar 27, 2011
    Gameplay - 10 , Graphics - 8.0 , Story - 9.0 , Playing time - 30+hours. Aside from the DRM problem, this is a very good game. However, for 2010 the graphics is a bit outdated.
  8. Jul 7, 2012
    This game is epic, there was so much love and dedication put in this game it simply gives you a feeling of satisfaction once you complete it that you don't feel quite often when completing a game. Every single aspect of the story is very well made and the near-end plot twist is awesome, from beginning to end it is interesting and keeps you immersed. The graphics are good but there is spaceThis game is epic, there was so much love and dedication put in this game it simply gives you a feeling of satisfaction once you complete it that you don't feel quite often when completing a game. Every single aspect of the story is very well made and the near-end plot twist is awesome, from beginning to end it is interesting and keeps you immersed. The graphics are good but there is space for improvement, Assassin's Creed had amazing graphics and I feel this is just the same graphics with little or no improvement. The overall sound is amazing with a great soundtrack which is also great to play with an instrument and some excellent sound effects as well as top voice acting. The platforming is way faster and better in many ways such as the gameplay that has you always interested. You can get about 12 hours out of this game and even though the replay value is not much I had the desire to play it again, which I did. Now to the part everyone hated, the Ubisoft DRM is something that has people really mad, but I had surprisingly no problems with this. Overall you should get this game though you should be really careful about the DRM for mac users the best option is buying it in the mac app store and but I think overall the best thing you could do is get it for console, yet its worth a try on PC/Mac. Expand
  9. Dec 29, 2011
    This game is great, specially the storyline. They create a great bound between the player and the character. The graphics are awesome, the sound is very good, the gameplay is diversed and is not repetitive. The only thing I didn't like was the whole city-travelling thing. It's a very good game overall, I'd give it a 8,5 if I could. Also, I don't get why people complain about the DRM whenThis game is great, specially the storyline. They create a great bound between the player and the character. The graphics are awesome, the sound is very good, the gameplay is diversed and is not repetitive. The only thing I didn't like was the whole city-travelling thing. It's a very good game overall, I'd give it a 8,5 if I could. Also, I don't get why people complain about the DRM when you're supposed to rate the game itself... Expand
  10. Feb 18, 2013
    It's what I call EPIC GAME. I enjoyed in every moment of this game, it's an amazing atmosphere. Italy looked very amazing there, so this game even made me to love history and to realsie that history can be fu**ing interesting too.
  11. LysanderS.
    May 21, 2010
    DRM aside, it's actually surprisingly good. Why do i not have a problem with the DRM? I gave up on Ubisoft and downloaded a work around. It worked, to say the least. Now then, as for the game itself: There's no repetitivity like the first game, every mission felt fresh and fun throughout. It took me, according to my stats, 25 hours to get to the end of the game, and i missed out DRM aside, it's actually surprisingly good. Why do i not have a problem with the DRM? I gave up on Ubisoft and downloaded a work around. It worked, to say the least. Now then, as for the game itself: There's no repetitivity like the first game, every mission felt fresh and fun throughout. It took me, according to my stats, 25 hours to get to the end of the game, and i missed out the side missions, which there are plenty of, albeit repetitive, so you're getting your money's worth. I had a lot of fun with the game, i'd highly recommend it if not for the DRM. The voice acting is superb, the graphics are nice, although much like the first game. The addition of money to spend on equipment, health "packs", clothing, paintings, or just to invest in your huge villa is fantastic. The "notoriety system" seems like a work in progress, or a half arsed effort. Every large scale murder, or fight or socially unacceptable action will increase your notoriety, making guards identify you as an assassin faster, which will provoke a fight. That's all well and good, but the ways of lowering it are ridiculous. You can tear down a poster, located in an area the general public will never see, clearly just to give a free running aspect to it. 4 posters will clear your name completely. Or you can murder a "corrupt guard" which will clear 75% of your nororiety. Needs quite a clean up, but it's a fresh change to the game. Now for the downsides: For a start, the PC version is quite clearly a console port in every way. The controls are terrible in some places, such as having to repeatedly tap shift when using the Gondola (boat). Anyone with a PC knows that hammering the shift key boots you to the dektop because of the sticky keys nonsense.The lack of advanced graphical options is ridiculous. There's just "setting 1, 2, 3, 4" for about 5 options. No way to edit .ini files either, because Ubisoft don't respect their PC customers (clearly indicated by the DRM...). Also, some options won't save your settings, such as subtitles on, or inverted controls, etc. There's also the terrible physics engine, just like the first game. If you kill a guard on a slanted rooftop, his body will stiffen in the air, before the physics engine kicks in and his body slops down the side of the roof. Throwing an enemy off a building will result in the body bouncing and flipping around. The terrible AI, like the first game is still there, with guards getting stuck on railings, preventing their friends from climbing that point and pursuing me. The flying machine was a horrible disappointment, as was the the pistol attachment. It takes around 3 seconds to line up the shot, then after firing will increase your notoriety by 10% (explained above) and takes around 2 seconds to reload. Bullets cost 175 florins each, and you can only hold 6 at a time. Considering how loud and impractical the gun is, not to mention the huge cost, it makes other weapons far more viable options. Throwing knives, for example, are 50f each, and have a capacity of 20, not to mention the extremely fast throwing speed. The story is also quite deranged, while at the same time, interesting. (i've tried not to include any spoilers)The main problem i had with it is that it spans over the course of 23 years, yet none of the characters age at all. The protagonist should be in his mid 40's, yet looks the same as his late teens. The only character change is near the very end of the game, where the protagonist gains some stuble...wow. If you don't mind terrible DRM, lack of customisation options and a terrible engine (bwah hahahahahaha) then it's worth giving the game a go for the fantastic gameplay. Expand
  12. Mar 3, 2011
    This is a really great game so what if it has/had DRM to be honest it doesn't matter unless you are installing it on like 5 PCs in which case I have to ask why you would be installing it on that many PCs. The people who say the DRM boots you out of the game well I have never been booted out of the game because of the DRM.
  13. Mar 13, 2011
    Game is really good and the DRM system is updated. Missions are really awesome some of them are hard but I still give this game 10/10. Most Assassin's Creed players will enjoy this game. And it also comes with free DLC unlike for consoles.
  14. Apr 28, 2011
    I found this game thoroughly enjoyable, and i'm not going to whine over how highly dodgy the DRM is, even though I do have few connection problems. I will agree with the multitude of people who complain that it is pretty shoddy, but the game itself, not counting the DRM, is a true masterpiece
    The storyline is highly involving and intricate, the time setting couldn't really have been more appropriate and I found Renaissance Italy a very interesting setting to work from.The graphics are fantastic, and even though the system requirements are a bit beefy, I couldn't help every once in a while climbing a viewpoint simply to stand there and gaze at the surrounding cityline.
    A major aspect of the first game was the non-linear style of play, which I loved. This has been very nicely updated and improved in the sequel, which a vast range of side-missions to complete, as well as having entire cities to roam around almost freely, allowing you to decide when to complete a main objective; you can go and rush through the main story if you want or leave it out until you've had some fun with it.
    The fighting system, freerunning and climbing aspects, the largest parts of the game, have been improved very nicely, with more freedom as to how you can conduct yourself about the city. The in-depth and well-explored characters also allow the player to feel immersed in the game. All of this makes for a game that can be replayed again and again and will always feel a little different.
  15. Nov 25, 2011
    es un juego fantastico una experiencia inolvidable
    sinceramente es uno de los mejorers juegos y **** IS HORRIBLE la compania con su mierda de DRM hace una BAD EXPERIENCE y es que se que muchos estais molestos por el DRM of the DAMNED fu*k you ****
  16. Nov 21, 2011
    Great game you see what the team has done it is just positive. Great story and the movment is just awesome. As a complete Assassin's creed game also awesome.
  17. Dec 22, 2011
    I like this game, good textures, a nice story (it takes a while to complete) and some pretty good combat. I just don't like that it is a real long game and you get stuck on levels a little too much. But overall I absolutely LOVE this game! 9 out of 10 is what it gets
  18. Dec 31, 2011
    I think that people should rate the game based on it's gameplay, graphics and controls. I found the storyline to be gripping and interesting.
    The voice acting of the characters, NPCs etc in the game is spot on and really fits the setting.
    The repetitive gameplay of the original AC has now vanished and this makes for a much more enjoyable game. The controls are easy to use and you can bind abilities to different keys if you feel the need to do so.
    The graphics are great and at medium to max settings with anti-aliasing, look better than the console equivalent due to the vastly superior shadows and lighting. I do however feel sad that the PC version has ended up getting low user scores because of DRM, because the game itself is great. All in all, it's a great game and is now available very cheaply.
  19. Dec 3, 2013
    Awesome story, Ezio Auditore is one of the best characters ever created in a video game.
    Great stealth and combat, extremely detailed setting. Graphics are still decent even though a few years passed since release. It has some small design problems to it which prevent it from getting a higher score.
    A classic game that any true gamer should try, earns an 8/10 but it would get 10 if the review was about story alone.
  20. Mar 26, 2012
    i do not understand all the rage comments below, i simply loved this game like i loved the first game of the series, worth checking out, but first play the first game to have an idea what it is all about :D
  21. Apr 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the best AC's games around, very long with awesome locations, a very long story, kept me busy for 40 hours almost non stop, also if you like to explore this game is completely "Free Roam" wanna go on top of a building ? You can ! Wanna look for collectibles ? You can, i would say this is one of the best and safe buy of AC's game i did, you will be able to visit Venice and Florence, and as for me which i listened to the entire game made in Italian was feeling like real. Expand
  22. Jun 16, 2012
    The story is very well-written. I can't expect more about the story. Graphic is great. Environment is great. The game is quite short, i hope it was longer. However, i had a lot of fun during the 20hrs gameplay. I enjoy the story so much. Battle is pretty good. I finished this game twice because i just like it so much. I think i could finish it for the third time because it is just sooooThe story is very well-written. I can't expect more about the story. Graphic is great. Environment is great. The game is quite short, i hope it was longer. However, i had a lot of fun during the 20hrs gameplay. I enjoy the story so much. Battle is pretty good. I finished this game twice because i just like it so much. I think i could finish it for the third time because it is just soooo good. I'm not getting money for writing this. Expand
  23. Feb 27, 2013
    Much better than the first game in my opinion. I loved running around the rooftops of various citites in renessaince Europe! The controls were very smooth, and made all the acrobatics fun to perform. The story was ok, and the characters were also acceptable (cliched but I was not expecting something outstanding anyways). Combat was like in the previous game. I felt it was sometimes justMuch better than the first game in my opinion. I loved running around the rooftops of various citites in renessaince Europe! The controls were very smooth, and made all the acrobatics fun to perform. The story was ok, and the characters were also acceptable (cliched but I was not expecting something outstanding anyways). Combat was like in the previous game. I felt it was sometimes just too easy with instant chain-kills, and moves that kill your opponents immediately. I felt the developers could have made this part much more challenging. The missions were somewhat varied, but not much changed since the first game. Overall I enjoyed ACII. Expand
  24. Nov 28, 2012
    The only disappointing part of the game is the beginning and the parts when you have to go back to present time. I understand that they had to explain to us what is going on, but still i couldn't wait to just get over with it. Soooo painful. Other than that I really recommend this game.
  25. Jan 24, 2014
    Quite simply put this is an amazing game and certainly more interesting than the first instalment of the series which in itself was pretty incredible. The world is literally HUGE and there is a bare minimum of 45-50 hours of gameplay. I have played it twice now and it works out slightly differently each time so there is definite replay value here. There is an enormous amount to do andQuite simply put this is an amazing game and certainly more interesting than the first instalment of the series which in itself was pretty incredible. The world is literally HUGE and there is a bare minimum of 45-50 hours of gameplay. I have played it twice now and it works out slightly differently each time so there is definite replay value here. There is an enormous amount to do and if you do everything in each city you could probably push your experience out to 60 or 70 hours. What I really enjoyed in this game was the wealth of historical data you can access about Renaissance Italy - so you not only have a fantastic gaming experience but also learn a great deal about the environment in which you play. The only downside to this game is some of the controls especially when doing the puzzle/treasure hunts. Getting Ezio to jump the right way can sometimes be an exercise in frustration and as a result can cause you to take a hell of a long time to complete the mission - however once you do the sense of satisfaction is significant as you feel you have cracked a really difficult problem. Therefore as frustrating as they may be I would not take the easy route and skip them even though if you become desperate you can do so as they don't really affect the storyline.

In short they really pulled out all the stops on this one and if it wasn't for some of the frustrating controls in the puzzle/treasure hunts I would give it a 10. Pick it up you won't be disappointed.
  26. Mar 28, 2014
    While the first Assassin's Creed was a great game, it's successor, Assassin's Creed 2 proves to be a even better title to it's own franchise.

Assassin's Creed 2 serves as the direct sequel to the first game, continuing the storyline of Altair but mostly of his descendant, Ezio Auditore. The story takes place during the Renaissance period of Italy, which feels refreshing away from the

The story takes place during the Renaissance period of Italy, which feels refreshing away from the Holy Land, where sand dunes and plain terrain is the environment most of the time.

Note that Assassin's Creed 2 varies a slight bit from AC1, with a few better improvements, as well as bringing back some of the issues that i had problem with.

Pros (8):

(Primary) + Significant general improvements over AC1.

+ Graphical changes were significant, the game looks much more detailed, lifelike and just more vibrant overall.
    + Even detailed character modelling returns.
    + Repetitive missions are gone! All primary missions, if not most, will always be different. Long gone are the days where doing the same reptitive task leads to the completion of the mission.
    + Storyline is even longer and better. Game no longer ends randomly on a cliffhanger, like some sort of lousy movie film.
    + At least 30ish hours of gameplay. Considered a long duration for a singleplayer story-mode game.
    + No game stability issues, did not crash time during the whole of 28 hours of in-game session.
    + More checkpoints, leading to lesser frustration when dying, crashing, etc.
    + Side missions now serves a function, such as obtaining a cape for collecting a certain amount of feathers.

Cons (2):

- Artificial Intelligence coding STILL feels choppy, but is improved, enemies to retaliate more often and are more aware of their surroundings.
    -Game mechanic seems worse than before. Scaling walls and performing parkours in general, feels choppier and rough.

I highly recommend playing the first game and follow the series on a chronological order. And if you loved the first AC game, you would definitely love this one. Collapse
  27. Mar 18, 2014
    Starting at AC3 and then AC4, I was worried about trying the older ones and running into outdated mechanics that would ruin the gameplay for me. Luckily, that never happened. In fact, the older games taught me maneuvers and other things that AC3 and AC4 apparently expected me to already know. And after playing Edward Kenway, I didn't think I would much care for the oldschool assassins, butStarting at AC3 and then AC4, I was worried about trying the older ones and running into outdated mechanics that would ruin the gameplay for me. Luckily, that never happened. In fact, the older games taught me maneuvers and other things that AC3 and AC4 apparently expected me to already know. And after playing Edward Kenway, I didn't think I would much care for the oldschool assassins, but now I know why Ezio is still the poster assassin boy. He was a badass. Expand
  28. Jul 10, 2013
    Best Assassin's creed to date. Story, the best in any of the games, gameplay 3x better than the first one, lots of weapons, people to talk to can't even be compared to the first one.
  29. Oct 14, 2013
    Honestly, I absolutely love this game. I've played it to completion nearly half a dozen times, and I'm still not tired of it. The scenery is beautiful, the setting is exquisitely researched and presented, and the characters are compelling. This game improves in every way from the original, from the voice acting to the combat to the RPG elements to the historical characters that you meetHonestly, I absolutely love this game. I've played it to completion nearly half a dozen times, and I'm still not tired of it. The scenery is beautiful, the setting is exquisitely researched and presented, and the characters are compelling. This game improves in every way from the original, from the voice acting to the combat to the RPG elements to the historical characters that you meet and befriend (or kill). It's just a fun game. Expand
  30. Jul 2, 2014
    A lot of the negative reviews are due to the issues with the PC version. Having played it in June 2014, I can say I didnt have any issues except a few minor bugs.

The game itself is great. I got 100% completion in about 50 hours. The gameplay can be repetitive and boring at times, but the storyline keeps things interesting. I couldnt play in long sessions however because the controls were just absolutely awful. I played with a mouse+keyboard initially, but gave up and stopped playing the game. I came back months later and played with an xbox 360 controller in steam. it worked a lot better, but it was still frustrating at times lining jumps up right, etc. Many times I'd jump off a building and he'd go in a totally different direction.

So overall, this is a great game but hampered by agitating controls and repetitive gameplay. It does improve vastly upon the first Creed, and I would recommend it for under $10. Steam has it on sale every now and again for pretty cheap.
  31. Jan 23, 2014
    now i start with saying that i am not a assassins creed fan at all. this is one of the only games i played, and i loved him, the story is exellent, the world is so big with so many things to do and side missions who go far from the main story. if you looking for a game that can give you at leasy 50-70 hours of fun gameplay this is the game for you, and maybe even more then 70 hours,
  32. Sep 13, 2014
    Amazing game. Graphics, story, game play were all good. I enjoyed playing it and unlocking stuff. I got it from Steam for 2,5 euros only! If you don't have it then you should get it.
  33. Feb 26, 2016
    Uno de los mejores de la saga. Basada en la época del renacimiento, cambia por completo la jugabilidad un poco monótona del primer juego. Se añaden muchas cosas que serán la base o pilares fundamentales de los siguientes.
  34. Apr 19, 2011
    Great story, superb graphics, characters in the game are very real and in deep, and the environment is very real, too, play the game give me the feeling to live in the Renaissance Era in Italy. Combat system is very good, action is nearly perfect. After all, a great, great game that I've played so far. But there is something make it not perfect: first, the system requirements are tooGreat story, superb graphics, characters in the game are very real and in deep, and the environment is very real, too, play the game give me the feeling to live in the Renaissance Era in Italy. Combat system is very good, action is nearly perfect. After all, a great, great game that I've played so far. But there is something make it not perfect: first, the system requirements are too high, even on the very strong PC, there is still a lot of lag and glitch. Secondly, requirement of constant internet connection to play the game is annoying for people who have bad internet connection. A great work of Ubisoft, hope they can provide more in the next project. 9.0 points for you! Expand
  35. May 8, 2012
    Yesterday I finished replaying the game for the 2nd time (1st time was 2 years ago) and... the game is splendid. I really underestimated it for the first time, there were several reasons for that, but I didn't like it as much, as I liked it now.
    The Renaissance is one of the best times in AC series for now, lots of different locations, each with its unique sightseeings and interesting missions. It's hard to say why, but for some reason with every new part of AC we are going farther from silent kills and that kind of actions, more stupid submissions (( It' sad. But the AC2 still has the soul of stealth.
    10 out of 10 - definitely
    PS. I really surprised to see such a bad user score - it's ridiculous!
  36. Nov 13, 2010
    A great game one of the epic best action game well the drm system didnt give me a problem However, I am absolutely disgusted and disappointed in Ubisoft for the DRM. Ubisoft just spit on thousands of PC gamers for this ridiculous idea remember ubisoft u are losing customers with this stupid drm system
  37. Oct 4, 2011
    Great game, successfully built upon the first title, improved what was lacking, added a lot of potential and overall quite a satisfying game.

Full Review:
  38. May 21, 2013
    A massive step forward from the original AC game. The story is even better, Ezio is a great character to play as. The missions are far more engaging and entertaining than the previous game and there is also a built in economy that you can use to upgrade your "headquarters" and get yourself better gear. A great game.
  39. ChrisW
    Jun 3, 2010
    The 9 is puerly for the game, as the game is very good, story line excellent, graphics good, voice acting brilliant, fight scenes awesome! It loses 1 point as it is a console port with an obvious lack of PC optimisation as it plays at quite low frame rates (average 30fps on 1920x1200 and all full settings) even on my brand new ATI 5870. I hear that the DRM is a bit of a killer for anyone The 9 is puerly for the game, as the game is very good, story line excellent, graphics good, voice acting brilliant, fight scenes awesome! It loses 1 point as it is a console port with an obvious lack of PC optimisation as it plays at quite low frame rates (average 30fps on 1920x1200 and all full settings) even on my brand new ATI 5870. I hear that the DRM is a bit of a killer for anyone who paid for the game. It seems Ubi have done exactly the opposite of what their DRM was supposed to do. When will these companies learn that no matter what they do to try and stop people cracking these games, the hackers will always find a way around it. All they do by introducing these DRM measures is to alienate the people who actually buy a legitimate copy. The pirates are rewarded for pirating since they do not need an internet connection to play, the game doesnt lock up and freeze when connection is lost and save games arent lost when the internet goes down, the crack takes care of all that. Expand
  40. Aug 17, 2010
    Nearly flawless game. Shadows are strangely rendered and can be distracting even on the highest settings, but otherwise it is a fantastic ride through a beautiful country in a beautiful time period. Would love more games to take place in such a rich setting. Music is superb and haunting. DRM is obnoxious, and unfairly mean to customers without internet access, but rating this game a 0Nearly flawless game. Shadows are strangely rendered and can be distracting even on the highest settings, but otherwise it is a fantastic ride through a beautiful country in a beautiful time period. Would love more games to take place in such a rich setting. Music is superb and haunting. DRM is obnoxious, and unfairly mean to customers without internet access, but rating this game a 0 because of a decision made by the big suits is not only immature, but unfair to the masterpiece underneath. Expand
  41. Nov 18, 2010
    i found this game extremely fun, the environments are beautiful and i didn't find it overly repetitive. the story is great as are the characters. the only problem is the combat with the enemies waiting and taking turns to be stabbed but its easily ignored. the exploration is great, i'm sure most of the negative reviews are about the drm not the game itself.
  42. Dec 1, 2010
    It´s incerdible game, increadibly great world, the story is extremly gripping. there is great freedom in way to kill you target, the play time is good as well, about 40hours include some side quest (not all of them) and sometime some quest repeating :-)...but anyway it´s one of best game I ever play (the game not the Ubisoft launcher :D )
  43. Mar 1, 2011
    I think it's ABSOLUTELY ridiculous that people are bashing the game because of the DRM. The DRM does not make the game any worse. I understand that your gaming experience can be ruined by the fact that you have a really spotty internet connection, but that's just the experience, not the game itself. When I bought this game, the first thing I noticed was the big box on the bottom that saysI think it's ABSOLUTELY ridiculous that people are bashing the game because of the DRM. The DRM does not make the game any worse. I understand that your gaming experience can be ruined by the fact that you have a really spotty internet connection, but that's just the experience, not the game itself. When I bought this game, the first thing I noticed was the big box on the bottom that says "Continuous Internet Connection Required." If you see that, don't buy the game. It's that simple. I completely disagree with Ubisoft for using the DRM, but don't let that detract from a great game. Now for my actual review:

I loved this game. It was MUCH better than Assassin's Creed. The combat itself hadn't improved all that much, though I really liked being able to use the hidden blades in combat, and the attachments that went with it. I particularly loved the fact that climbing wasn't as slow, as Ezio could climb swiftly if there was a clear path to the top.

What I was most impressed about was the story. In the original AC, you played as Altaïr, who really had no character presence. He was just a blade with a voice, and you never really connected with him. However, Ezio was fantastic. His personality had so much depth, and as the story progressed, you really felt Ezio progress as well. Hats off to Ubisoft on this one, regardless of the DRM.

That being said, I give a 9/10, one point off for the numerous times that I would jump from a wooden beam, and automatically jump diagonally away from my destination.

To all those complaining about the DRM:

If you consider yourself a "PC Gamer," you should really have a good internet connection. It's 2011, catch up with the times.
  44. JohnR.
    Mar 12, 2010
    Assassin's Creed 2 for PC is s top shelf game. It runs perfectly, has a deep plot, believable characters and brilliant voiice acting. The fluid movement, exploration and combat combine perfectly to make this a fun experience, especially for gamers that use the wireless xbox 360 controller. The graphics and animation are beautiful. The expansive freedom to play how you want endows Assassin's Creed 2 for PC is s top shelf game. It runs perfectly, has a deep plot, believable characters and brilliant voiice acting. The fluid movement, exploration and combat combine perfectly to make this a fun experience, especially for gamers that use the wireless xbox 360 controller. The graphics and animation are beautiful. The expansive freedom to play how you want endows this title with high replay value. Assassin's Creed 2 for PC gets a must buy recommendation from me. I love it. Expand
  45. Mar 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is incredible . When a saw Rating from users on Metacritic i want kill that that motherf*ckers who wrote it. These guys are crazy or what ? This is all what i want to say . Fu*k with you . Thank god of the rewievers from magazines and web sites . Expand
  46. Aug 7, 2011
    I was not surprised to find myself fully immersed in this game from the moment I began playing, there is not really anything I can find in this game that I disliked. I think that the restriction on free roaming and killing civilians in necessary within the context of this story. As for the DRM; what do you expect big companies like 'Ubisoft' to do when websites like 'PirateBay' exist II was not surprised to find myself fully immersed in this game from the moment I began playing, there is not really anything I can find in this game that I disliked. I think that the restriction on free roaming and killing civilians in necessary within the context of this story. As for the DRM; what do you expect big companies like 'Ubisoft' to do when websites like 'PirateBay' exist I think they should continue to do all they can to protect these games that they work so hard to create. Expand
  47. Apr 17, 2012
    A poor example of a console port. Within minutes the tutorial parts are asking you to press the red button or the green button instead of the correct keyboard button like a decent console port would do. At one point I spent 10 minutes trying to find a button just to pick up an object because it wasn't displaying what keyboard button I had to press. I unfortunately dropped this game out ofA poor example of a console port. Within minutes the tutorial parts are asking you to press the red button or the green button instead of the correct keyboard button like a decent console port would do. At one point I spent 10 minutes trying to find a button just to pick up an object because it wasn't displaying what keyboard button I had to press. I unfortunately dropped this game out of frustration. Expand
  48. Mar 15, 2012
    Aside from Ubisoft's sketchy DRM, The game itself is brilliant. If you loved the original, then this game will not disappoint. the only thing about Assassin's Creed that will drive you nuts is the bad camera angles that happen the odd occasion, where you are forced to jump on a very strange angle, or jump and grab a ledge from a side-scroller point of view. with a gamepad, I'm sure itsAside from Ubisoft's sketchy DRM, The game itself is brilliant. If you loved the original, then this game will not disappoint. the only thing about Assassin's Creed that will drive you nuts is the bad camera angles that happen the odd occasion, where you are forced to jump on a very strange angle, or jump and grab a ledge from a side-scroller point of view. with a gamepad, I'm sure its probably nothing, but with mouse and keyboard its an annoyance. Aside from that, The game is very well done, right down to the small details that set this game apart from other Free-Runner games like Mirror's Edge and the like. Great story, Great voice acting, and Great Lore. Worth every penny. Expand
  49. Jul 14, 2012
    Awesome story,great combat,stealth gameplay,perfect graphics,KILLKILLKILL!
    Best Third person adventure/action game in my opinion.
    And at least it does not require a quad core comp :D
    I can only recommend it to everyone.
  50. Aug 22, 2012
    First of all, I absolutely love this game, in fact it is; in my opinion the BEST GAME EVER! If you are thinking about getting this, I highly recommend that you do! You should only rate on the actual game. Best game ever. 10 out of 10.(Rating on the game itself) The PC controls are annoying because it shows you signs.
  51. Sep 24, 2012
    [+]Positive Points
    Really great story.
    Rich backdrop.
    Good gameplay mechanics
    [-]Negative Points
    Graphics was a bit of disapointment.
    DRM was **** But after the update no problem with it.
  52. Jul 2, 2013
    I am amazed at the low user score for this fantastic game. I am a fan of the user scores, but in this case, they really do have it wrong. I think most of the problems with the low user score lie with the hardware (PC) requirements if you don't have an updated computer with a great video card and hard drive, your gameplay will suffer. But with the right hardware, this game is unbelievablyI am amazed at the low user score for this fantastic game. I am a fan of the user scores, but in this case, they really do have it wrong. I think most of the problems with the low user score lie with the hardware (PC) requirements if you don't have an updated computer with a great video card and hard drive, your gameplay will suffer. But with the right hardware, this game is unbelievably interesting! It's the beginning of the story of Ezio Auditore, the assassin whose story later continues with the AC Brotherhood and eventually with AC Revelations. Centered around various Renaissance cities and a private villa, even Leonardo DaVinci has a role! Take your time playing it. I have already played it four times and each time I manage to find a few things that I had not discovered. The entire Assassin's Creed series of games is my favorite of all times. Expand
  53. May 13, 2013
    Simply one of the best games I have ever played. Great, engaging storyline, superb combat and gameplay, witty dialogues and a charismatic lead. You can only love the great assassin Ezio Auditore. His story brings evokes great emotions in the player and that is a highlight of a well made game.
  54. Aug 3, 2013
    There is no other game that deserves being called "Favorite". Every one of us knows that the storyline was excellent due to the same crative director that brought us Prince of Persia, and the new and more charming main charachter. The soundtrack of the game was excellent and made me feel intro the Story which was interesting and full of conspiracy's. The game does not make us kill aThere is no other game that deserves being called "Favorite". Every one of us knows that the storyline was excellent due to the same crative director that brought us Prince of Persia, and the new and more charming main charachter. The soundtrack of the game was excellent and made me feel intro the Story which was interesting and full of conspiracy's. The game does not make us kill a "random guy" we have as target's real people of the Italian Renaissance.
    A true Masterpiece.
    Technical Issues[10]
    ------------------------------------
    Over All[9.5]
  56. Nov 23, 2013
    They took everything that was wrong in AC3 and made it right, unbelievable game play, graphics and content. 10/10. Hands down the best game I've played this year.
  57. Sep 9, 2016
    Best game in the franchise. Period. The original Assassin Creed was great but repetitive. I loved it though because of the Crusades Jerusalem setting. The sequel, while less attractive as a setting to me, was a much better game, with richer gameplay. And the story, although not the best in the world, was enjoyable and not totally retarded like it became in future installments.
  58. Mar 27, 2013
    I have played about 40+ Hrs. so far, and I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying the story and game play. I haven't played the 1st or the 3rd AC yet. So, I didn't quite know what to expect. Anyway, I'll try to sum my opinion up point by point.
    I played this on an i7 3770K with a GTX680 and an Asus VG248QE running Windows 7 Ultimate.
    1st, The graphics are

1st, The graphics are typical for a multiplatform release. (nice but nothing groundbreaking) 2nd, The sound is good, and they managed to pack some atmosphere into this game.
    3rd, There is plenty to do, but it does become a little repetitive after playing many hours.
    4th, The storyline is, for the most part, good. Some parts are a little fluffed up, but you at least want to stay on board to find out what will happen next, and how it will end. 5th, The controls were unintuitive. So, I remapped them, but they still didn't feel quite right. Finally, I opted to use an XBOX360 controller. For me, this is an unfortunate and unnecessary weak spot, because the PC version of a game should work well with a mouse and keyboard. Other than that, the game is fun to play.
    6th, I would've liked to have seen more options to customize the graphics, and maybe the main character as well.
    7th, I didn't experience any technical problems like bugs, glitches, freezing, or crashing. However, this game does require Uplay to run in the background. I bought this on Steam, which means I already have Steam running. So, I don't see the point of needing both to play, but since, I didn't experience any issues during my sessions, I'll leave it at that.
    All in all, this title was worth adding to my collection.
  59. Jul 10, 2012
    To you all you crybabies out there complaining about the controls. GET. A. CONTROLLER. The game plays beautifully on PC with a controller. You have to live with the fact that some games were not meant for the mouse. This is one of them. Anyways GREAT improvement from the first one. Wonderful storytelling and the introduction of cut scenes makes it all the better. Played this gameTo you all you crybabies out there complaining about the controls. GET. A. CONTROLLER. The game plays beautifully on PC with a controller. You have to live with the fact that some games were not meant for the mouse. This is one of them. Anyways GREAT improvement from the first one. Wonderful storytelling and the introduction of cut scenes makes it all the better. Played this game immediately after finishing the first one and what a difference! So much fun and a delight for history buffs out there. Expand
  60. Jan 16, 2013
    I have to start off by saying that I never had any trouble with stability or DRM, so I'm not taking off points for that. Assassin's Creed II, as a game, is simply amazing. This game has exactly what you want in a sequel: continued solid story, improved game mechanics, improved graphics, and more content. AC II continues Desmond's story from the first game, while introducing a new andI have to start off by saying that I never had any trouble with stability or DRM, so I'm not taking off points for that. Assassin's Creed II, as a game, is simply amazing. This game has exactly what you want in a sequel: continued solid story, improved game mechanics, improved graphics, and more content. AC II continues Desmond's story from the first game, while introducing a new and likable protagonist, Ezio. The new settling of Renaissance Italy is both fresh and exciting, while preserving and improving on the extensive open world gameplay of its predecessor. It also introduces more sophisticated characters which you actually begin to care about, unlike the dull characters of the first game. Gameplay-wise, AC II skillfully introduces enough new mechanics and improvements to keep it fresh, while not feeling too different: you have a greater variety of weapons, including (thankfully!) long-range weapons; you can now use money to buy weapons and armor on your own schedule, instead of waiting around for mission rewards; you can hire mercenaries, thieves, and prostitutes to assist you in your missions; and plenty of other interesting things. While AC II isn't perfect, I think that it is a shining example of what a good sequel should be. Expand
  61. Apr 26, 2013
    That game is an upgrade from the first. Now you can swim, The fights are more complex and fluid.
    Ezio is so much charismatic, the ambient of Italian Renaissance are SO amazing.
  62. Feb 24, 2014
    Si has jugado el uno y como a mi te parece aburrido, tedioso y repetitivo... juega a este. Es todo lo que hubieras querido de la primera parte y más. Con componentes de rol, una variedad apabullante y una jugabilidad genial. Puntuación Assassin's Creed: 5.5 / Puntuación Assassin's Creed 2: 9.5 /
  63. Feb 17, 2016
    I almost missed out on this. =) I was always intrigued by the look of AC, Ezio and Altair. On a whim, I bought this for like 8 bucks while it was on sale. And at first, I hated it because I tried to play it with kbm.
    At least for me, that didn't work AT ALL, I lost even on the very first, easy race. I then got myself a decent Xbox-controller for PC, and things changed (make sure it's a rather precise one...I tried a very cheap one which simply didn't work for some of the more complicated jumps).
    What a game, what a story, what a main character...

The game has aged well...sure, you can tell it's from 2010, but Florence still looks really nice, very colorful and atmospheric.
    Ezio is a very likeable guy, and I quickly was caught up by the story. The moment when he first gets the costume and puts it on is very cool...and iconic. So is the beginning, where you witness Ezios birth, and considering you can follow his story until his death...well, I really think he is one of the coolest characters ever.

The game surely has its flaws... the controls still are sometimes wonky, where you do a race or a more complicated maneuver and fail because the character does something else, something you didn't intend to, like doing a backwards flip from a wall when you tried something else.

Still, the story and the game mechanics are very cool. It's fun to see Ezio turn from an easy-going teenager to a great assassin, fun to rebuild his base, which lets you earn a lot of money, enabling you to unlock upgrades. Once you do, things get a bit easier, as you can carry more ammo and have more health.
    The missions and assassinations are nicely embedded in the story, up until the very end. Yes, you WILL have some frustrating moments... stuff like the race against La Volpe (the controls will make that tricky), or assassinating the merchant on the ship. Yes, it will feel unfair, you might rage a bit.
    however, even with those flaws (which Ubisoft in some cases fixed in later games... parcour in Unity for example is much smoother and more controlled, with less mishaps happening), this is almost an iconic game about a great character, with a lot of atmosphere and good-looking graphics.
    It's a bit dated, but if you want to try out the franchise and see why it was and still is so popular (even though some later entries IMO don't live up to the original games), try out this, and if you like it, continue Ezios story in Brotherhood and Revelations.
    Stay patient with the controls, and you WILL succeed. Finishing the optional special jumping-riddles (which will unlock a very special set of armour at your base, which is almost imba) took a lot of attempts on some parts, but felt ultimately satisfying.
    This is an improvement over the original AC, and it is the beginning of possibly the coolest and most iconic of the assassins. I still like this Ezio-trilogy (2, BH, Revelations), III and Unity much more than BF, Rogue, or the rather dull and disappointing Syndicate. Check it out, its easy to find for just a few bucks usually!
  64. May 4, 2014
    I have played the original AC a couple of years ago, and was wondering lately how the continuation of the series would feel. Well, ACII is a MUCH better game than the original one.
    Firstly, the story is more engrossing, and the missions are much less repetitive than in the original game.
    Secondly, the graphics really shine, even 5 years after the game was released. And thirdly, the game
    Secondly, the graphics really shine, even 5 years after the game was released.
    And thirdly, the game play itself is so much smoother. Ezio plays as a dream, he is not only a skillful assassin, but also a more than decent swords fighter. One important remark: it is highly recommended to play this game on pc using an analog game-pad. It helps a lot, really.
    For the rest: don't hesitate, even after all these years, this still is a real masterpiece.
  65. Jul 26, 2011
    Since crappy always-on DRM was removed, this game has become a timesink for me. Great atmosphere, and always that nagging feeling to get that one more mission done :)
  66. Oct 14, 2013
    While Ezio is not as compelling a character and Italy a less compelling setting, the game and mechanic is head and shoulders above the first game. Even managing the household to get income is horribly addictive. Highly recommended.
  67. Jul 23, 2012
    AC2 has just about everything that the first game lacked. Ubisoft seems to have learned a lot from the many problems AC1 had. Despite issues with the camera changing its angle at the most inopportune time, resulting in several keyboard-smashing moments, the controls, combat and gameplay are infinitely more enjoyable than the first game. Ezio is a compelling character who we really get toAC2 has just about everything that the first game lacked. Ubisoft seems to have learned a lot from the many problems AC1 had. Despite issues with the camera changing its angle at the most inopportune time, resulting in several keyboard-smashing moments, the controls, combat and gameplay are infinitely more enjoyable than the first game. Ezio is a compelling character who we really get to know over the course of the game. Best of all, I was always kept wanting to see what would happen next in the story. The variety of missions keeps things interesting, and the soundtrack is simply incredible- one of the best in any game I've played. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a good story with substance and mystery. Expand
  68. Mar 26, 2014
    Beautiful. I love it. Magnificent gameplay. Wonderful story. I see that the developers have suceeded to take Assassin's Creed to a new level. Fantastic.
  69. Vex
    Jul 27, 2013
    A truly marvelous game that recreates the 15th century Italy down to the finest detail. The world feels alive and immersive and it's hard not to completely get sucked into it. Running on the rooftops of Florence and Venice is an unforgettable experience.

I honestly couldn't find any major flaws with this game, perhaps except for the fact that the first few memories really are a bit boring and slow to pick up, but other than that, the game is really awesome.
  70. Nov 3, 2012
    First of all I'd like to say that I'm not going to rate the terrible-at-that-time DRM system in this review, but stick to the game itself instead. Assassin's Creed 2 expands on all the aspects of the original - the cities are bigger, the activities are more varied, you've got WAY more gadgets, the game itself is longer and the plot now spans over thirty years. The storyline puts us in theFirst of all I'd like to say that I'm not going to rate the terrible-at-that-time DRM system in this review, but stick to the game itself instead. Assassin's Creed 2 expands on all the aspects of the original - the cities are bigger, the activities are more varied, you've got WAY more gadgets, the game itself is longer and the plot now spans over thirty years. The storyline puts us in the feet of Ezio Auditore - a young Florentine noble who loses his family shortly into the game. On our course for revenge we meet lots of important historical figures of that era (and kill some of them) and explore beautifully reconstructed cities of Florence, Venice and a couple of smaller towns. Collectible hunting has become more reasonable, and you should definitely check the Glyphs - collecting all of them will reveal quite a shocking "The Truth" video, which plays an important role in the franchise's mythology. (or you can just watch it on youtube, why) The only thing that game drops the bar at is the graphics. They're noticeably worse than in the original, and that's somewhat of a letdown. All in all, Assassin's Creed 2 is a well-made game, which retains the original's flaws, like the somewhat dull and easy combat system and drops of pace - I've played it for several weeks and then had to take a break from it for almost a year. Expand
  71. Oct 6, 2012
    This game is very cool. Awsome graphics, very good story ( although you won't understand many things if you didn't play the first one), nice and stealthly gameplay and many missions. It is very good
  72. Jan 8, 2015
    A fantastic game, much better than the first AC (it is a lot less repetitive and boring, although it relies on the same core pillars). I played it quite late, which on the bright side allowed me to take advantage of my modern PC to enjoy a really smooth experience in high resolution, which is very immersive (and impressive). Highly recommended to any action / adventure fan!
  73. Feb 28, 2013
    Incredible evolution from the first to the second game.
  74. Jul 12, 2013
    Assassin's creed 1 suffered from repetitive gameplay and a bit weak story but this one improved in every way the graphics are amazing and the cities are full of life the story as well is so amazing and will keep you interested till the end the gameplay here is amazing with tons of weapons to choose and you'll end up buying new weapons just to see its finishing moves in the end anAssassin's creed 1 suffered from repetitive gameplay and a bit weak story but this one improved in every way the graphics are amazing and the cities are full of life the story as well is so amazing and will keep you interested till the end the gameplay here is amazing with tons of weapons to choose and you'll end up buying new weapons just to see its finishing moves in the end an excellent improvement on the first part and definitely one of the best game made by ubisoft Expand
  75. Jul 29, 2013
    In my opinion, AC 2 is one of the best games ever made for PC. It is one of the very few games that combine a great setting and atmosphere (with excellent graphics and sound, especially the voice acting) and a compelling story (which kept me playing through the whole night) on the one hand with really well-done gameplay mechanics on the other hand. It is a fun and very entertaining actionIn my opinion, AC 2 is one of the best games ever made for PC. It is one of the very few games that combine a great setting and atmosphere (with excellent graphics and sound, especially the voice acting) and a compelling story (which kept me playing through the whole night) on the one hand with really well-done gameplay mechanics on the other hand. It is a fun and very entertaining action game with at least 20 hours of gameplay through the fantastic storyline. The controls and interface could have been improved for the PC port, and I also had some technical issues like crashes and sound bugs. Also, I hate checkpoint save systems. But still, a great game, anyone who enjoys action games with good storyline, should have a serious look at this game. Expand
  76. Jul 6, 2016
    Gameplay : 8
    Graphics : 8
    Story : 7
    Sound : 8
    Overall : 8
  77. Jul 19, 2016
    Let me put the DRM aside and review the game since I pirated it (thanks to Ubisoft and its great DRM). As a history freak this is one of my favourite triple A action adventure games in recent years. One of the most unforgettable settings in a video game - Renaissance, Da Vinci, the Church, Florence, Venice... Music is also made by my favourite composer Jesper Kyd who contributed a lot toLet me put the DRM aside and review the game since I pirated it (thanks to Ubisoft and its great DRM). As a history freak this is one of my favourite triple A action adventure games in recent years. One of the most unforgettable settings in a video game - Renaissance, Da Vinci, the Church, Florence, Venice... Music is also made by my favourite composer Jesper Kyd who contributed a lot to the AC series.

The whole game is designed for the console though so the control scheme on KB/M is pure **** (unless you want to kill your left pinky), couldn't play it without a controller, though I prefer playing action games with a controller so I was OK with it. Graphics is optimised for the console so if you don't have a 16:9 monitor you get a letterbox on the screen...Well, what did I expect from Ubisoft?

If you are going to play just one AC game, this is it. But you don't have to go through the collectibles since they are pointless time wasters. Just go through the story and you're done with the game. I really don't like the collectibles for achievements trend, to be honest.
  78. Feb 16, 2014
    The best Assassin's Creed ever. It's nice, interesting and so on. You can enjoy the views of Florence and Venice. It's good, isn't it? So, what we have? A good hero, interesting setting, outstanging gameplay and the best story in 2009 except DA:Origins
  79. Apr 19, 2014
    The best AC game out there. If you liked any of the AC games after or before this, you will like AC2, I sure it.

Unlike a lot of other people, I did not encounter any DRM problems, so I was lucky I guess. The game itself is fun, and not as repetitive as the first one, and the duration spent climbing and running to your mission is less compared to the first game and subsequent games like AC3 and ACIV.

Therefore, this is the best AC game I've ever played. It still remains one of the best games I have ever played, and I've played quite a few.
  80. Jan 24, 2017
    Unlike many here I didn't have any issues with DRM, so I'll note AC2 on its worth: a solid 8, bordering on 9.

I played AC1 years ago and sort of forgot how I felt about it at the time. I remember only that I was interested enough to play AC2, but that I also got really, really, really really BORED. AC1 was a good example of an open world game that lacked gameplay. Lots of stuff to see, lots of atmosphere to take in, lots of spirit and effort, but no transition of the character's struggle to the player through difficult or fun gameplay mechanics.

In less verbose, AC1 wasn't hard and wasn't fun. It was a long winded and repetitive, but still an enthralling visit to the Holy Land of the Crusade's times.

Guess what? AC2 is exactly the same. Running on rooftops, escaping guards, trying to assassinate without being discovered first, failing, killing 50 guards with nothing but your sword, it's all the same.

Setting changes, we're in Renaissance Italy, and there's a loooootta more guards on the roof than I remember seeing in AC1. And of course the architecture and world appearance are all changed.
    Florence/Firenze looks beautiful, and Venice may be the most beautiful open world city I've ever seen in terms of style, effort and realism.

So the beautiful interactive tourism postcard principle still holds very true. And since Renaissance Italy wasn't a time of war like the Crusades, the cities have a lot of beautiful buildings and less military ones. So overall, it's a plus in every way.

However while it bettered its predecessor in almost every way(except perhaps slightly less realism, so no more crossing the entire holy land to get to a new city, instead we get fast teleports from city to city), and it mended some of the worst aspects of it, namely the missions are more diverse and thus repetition is less strong, it didn't fix them.

The three sins of AC2:
    -the combat
    -the parkour controls
    -the repetition

Combat is just like the last one. It's still very slow, very hit-and-pray or wait-and-counter, and it still sucks HARD. I need to stress this, I had moments where I literally wanted to yell at my screen "ATTACK ME ALREADY" to some guards. I'd like to say that the addition of the new smoke bomb, throwing knives and poison blade help, but they absolutely don't. They're either pointless(poison blade), or just serve to make an easy game easier without adding any fun(knives and smoke). No aiming and no skills required, too.
    The only really novel gameplay addition is the gun, which does diversify gameplay, and has only 6 bullets, so you use it little and it makes every shot precious.

Parkour controls are just too simple, and thus make you **** up. Not only a is a two-button system boring to play(you just keep your fingers pressed or not for 20 hours), but it can very often lead to VERY unpleasant consequences, like flinging yourself off a building or missing a ledge by 10cm and falling to lose half your health. I think the game would immensely gain from a run, jump, grab main system of 3 buttons, rather than a run, jump/grab system. You'd actually press buttons and get a feel for your controls, and not get any more infuriating falls.

Repetition, what can I say. It was bad in AC1. I forgot how bad it was, but let me tell you, I finished AC2 with 95% or 96% done; in 25 hours. All paintings, statues, renovation, shops at max, weapons, armors, Assassin Seals, everything but the 100 feathers collectathon. If I had avoided all that, you'd think that the game would be a lot shorter and less tedious, right? Well no. That was the stuff I did to diversify my entertainment. Because AC2 is still 15% bad combat, 70% simplistic parkour, and 15% choosing your route to reach a target, an item, or an objective. Little got me more annoyed in AC2 than being teleported back to Venice, which has some really voluntarily complicated level design, to see that the game put me 350 meters away from my target and that I have to go up the roofs again, cross the city again, hold down two buttons again, for 5 good minutes if I'm fast. This repetition of the same tasks that you never get really good at, because they're all simple unless the controls destroy you, they weigh tremendously heavily on the player. I just got so bored. So hard. Past 12 hours I was a little tired, past 17, I was begging the game to end.

Yet, I'll easily say that I was charmed by AC2. The production values that were poured into the cities, the level design, the Renaissance Italy style, the friendship with Leonardo Da Vinci and some others, even the story and plot of the series, which I don't regard very highly, it all wooed me. I completely fell for the interactive postcard, and although I got very bored, I know that I'll want to try Brotherhood at some point. There is a magic to AC2 that's certainly not in the gameplay, but in countless work hours that served to make this immersive, boring, memorable, and all in all enjoyable game.
  81. Jul 2, 2017
    The magnificence presented in Assassin's Creed II is more than enough to impress any gamer, despite the lingering bitter taste of DRM that will haunt Ezio until the end of his journey.
  82. Jun 22, 2014
    Say goodbye to the Middle East and say hello to Italy. There were major improvements in this game. If you loved the first game (Assassin's Creed 1) you are going to love this one. Everything that you had in Assassin's Creed 1 is still here, just improved and a lot better.Running, climbing and the assassinations. This sequel fixes most of the flaws from Assassin's Creed 1. Bigger cities,Say goodbye to the Middle East and say hello to Italy. There were major improvements in this game. If you loved the first game (Assassin's Creed 1) you are going to love this one. Everything that you had in Assassin's Creed 1 is still here, just improved and a lot better.Running, climbing and the assassinations. This sequel fixes most of the flaws from Assassin's Creed 1. Bigger cities, better visuals and a better protagonist. Assassin's Creed 2 is better than the original. Just like the end of Assassin's Creed 1 was shocking, Assassin's Creed 2 is even more shocking. The setting takes place in the 15th Century Renaissance Italy. Throughout the whole game, you play as Ezio Auditore da Firenze. Your family are bankers and you soon find out to keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Ezio is an assassin and you watch him age throughout the game and perfect his skills in every way. The story is much clearer. You get to use the Animus 2.0 to help you identify people, documents, locations and etc... This a free roam word. So you get to kill guards, pickpocket and hire mercenaries, courtesans and thief's. Ubisoft also added a day and night cycle, economic system to buy armor, weapons, paintings, maps, etc...There are definitely more combat moves than just strike and counter and definitely a lot more weapons and customization. The characters in the game make you express your emotions whether you feel overjoyed about a character, want to knife the character in the face, or tear a little. The story was not as repetitive as the first one. The story is very intriguing. I would give this game a rating of 92 out of 100. Expand
  83. Apr 2, 2015
    The peak of the Assassin's Creed series and a vast improvement from the original. AC2 puts you in the role of Ezio, a hot-headed charming lad turned assassin who we get to see develop and mature in a deeply personal story of revenge.

Where AC1 suffered from crippling repetition in its side quests, AC2 rectifies this somewhat by including more variety within the side missions and in its locales. However, most of these turn out to be little more than diversions that don't really add much depth. They are still entertaining for the most part, but even in AC2 they still become slightly tedious and repetitive, their incentive being a little extra cash on the side. The glyphs are the exception to this, which provide a nice change of pace in gameplay with its puzzles, in addition to a little more backstory and lore to the game.

When it comes to visuals, the game looks fairly decent. Standing on a tall tower and looking down upon the city of Florence certainly makes for an impressive scene. When the cutscenes come rolling in however, character models definitely leave much to be desired. What impresses me most about AC2 though is its setting and general atmosphere. I have to congratulate Jesper Kyd on the soundtrack because it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. It does a phenomenal job of imbuing a great sense of discovery, of true Renaissance Italy, and it is the main reason (at least for me) why the game remains so memorable over the years, because just listening to it gives me the fondest sense of nostalgia.

Overall score - 8.5/10 (rounded down)
  84. Mar 8, 2017
    Pod każdym względem fantastyczna. Postacie, fabuła, grywalność... Nie można się nudzić podczas grania. Minusy? Ezio czasem nie reaguje na komendy, a niektóre misje to czyste zło.
  85. Feb 7, 2015
    Great story and graphics. Was a bit laggy for me at times, but it was very fun to grab people from haystacks and jump on top of them. Same concept as every other assassins creed game, so I have to give it an 8 rather than a 10 because of being recycled material >:(
  86. May 21, 2015
  87. Feb 24, 2015
    Segundo jogo da serie que marcar a evolução da historia, contando a historia de Ezio. Jogo que abre o inicio de uma consagrada serie, embora seja o segundo jogo da serie, o mesmo "inaugurou" a mecânica do jogo que por sua vez ainda é usada até hoje nos jogos da franquia atuais, claro que por ser o pioneiro com variedades de armas, aprimoramento de armaduras e etc. O jogo serviu com umSegundo jogo da serie que marcar a evolução da historia, contando a historia de Ezio. Jogo que abre o inicio de uma consagrada serie, embora seja o segundo jogo da serie, o mesmo "inaugurou" a mecânica do jogo que por sua vez ainda é usada até hoje nos jogos da franquia atuais, claro que por ser o pioneiro com variedades de armas, aprimoramento de armaduras e etc. O jogo serviu com um laboratório para o novo tipo de jogabilidade, que deu muito certo, que não é atoa que ainda lançam jogos com a mesma mecânica, claro com novos recursos. Expand
  88. Mar 19, 2015
    Assassin's Creed II is a must have for every gamer who enjoys open world games. It's a huge improvement over the first part and the combat system feels brilliant, despite being less of a challenge than AC I. The game is very rewarding in each aspect and each mission seems unique in its own way. Story-wise, AC II will keep your attention up through the (roughly) 20-30 hours of game-play.Assassin's Creed II is a must have for every gamer who enjoys open world games. It's a huge improvement over the first part and the combat system feels brilliant, despite being less of a challenge than AC I. The game is very rewarding in each aspect and each mission seems unique in its own way. Story-wise, AC II will keep your attention up through the (roughly) 20-30 hours of game-play. You'll find it both exciting and also witty in many ways(I myself had to laugh a lot at some of the references used in the game), mostly due to the awesome protagonist: Ezio Auditore da Firenze. Fantastic voice acting!

The graphics are stunning, making the scenery of Italy absolutely enjoyable to watch. Unlike the first part, Assassin's Creed II makes the best of the franchises potential, leaving just enough space for better things to come. A true masterpiece.
  89. Nov 8, 2015
    A true epic game. Great story, great soundtrack (if it was a movie, this soundtrack would have surely nominated for Oscars), great characters. The Ezio trilogy made Assassin's Creed my most favourite game franchise. I will sure visit Italy in future and that will be only for three reasons - 1)This game, 2)Gladiator movie, 3)Home of supercars like Lamborghini and Ferrari.
  90. Dec 26, 2015
    i think

it is really good game. it is best assassin's creed game and one of my favourite games.

and ezio is one of best characters. i really loved him
  91. Nov 28, 2016
    Assassins Creed 2 is everything you would expect from a sequel. Takes best elements of it's predecessor and builds on it a great game.

The game follows a story of Ezio Auditore - a character I found extremely annoying at first but learned to like by the end of a game. This time the story is set in renaissance era of Italy with action taking in a couple of Italian towns like Florence, Venice, Tuscany.

Ezio is introduced a s reckless playboy character until both his father and brother are hanged for treason. Only then Ezio learns that his father was an assassin and begin his journey into the ranks of assassins. The story this time is a bit more linear than in the original Assassin's Creed but there is no lack of side activities to torment the completionists. Same as previously we follow the modern-time story of Desmond who re-lives the life of Ezio. And as previously the time spent outside the animus feels like totally necessary.

Mechanics wise this game improves on original game in almost every aspect. Drops the tedious repetitive missions in favour of more catered story driven missions this time. Crowd blending has been vastly improved making it more natural than previously. Notoriety has been introduced which can be removed by bribes or taking down wanted poster. It is really fun trying to navigate through a town having highest notoriety with guards alerted to your presence if you're not careful enough. Combat was also refined giving a wider array of moves.

Graphics hold up till this day - although you can tell the age when you're outside the town and it feels a bit empty. Inside cities however there's nothing to be picky about. The designs gives a good feel for the time period. The cities are well designed and fun to travel through either by foot or taking the rooftops.

Overall a big improvement to the original one and a really fun game that still holds up very well. Definitiely worth playing.
  92. Jan 25, 2016
    It really is a big difference between the first Assassin's Creed title and the second. Surpsins in a pleasant way because I did not think can be added so many new things in the story, especially during play and significantly increased.
  93. Dec 20, 2016
    Sin duda alguna el mejor juego de assasin's creed, pues su personaje es muy carismático, su duración es muy buena, los mapeados son geniales, y aparecen muchos otros personajes que son muy interesantes. La historia es épica e inmersiva, y fue el primer assasin's creed en incorporar cosas como el nado, los ladrones, los mercenarios, las cortesanas, y muchas cosas más como armas variadas deSin duda alguna el mejor juego de assasin's creed, pues su personaje es muy carismático, su duración es muy buena, los mapeados son geniales, y aparecen muchos otros personajes que son muy interesantes. La historia es épica e inmersiva, y fue el primer assasin's creed en incorporar cosas como el nado, los ladrones, los mercenarios, las cortesanas, y muchas cosas más como armas variadas de todo tipo.
    ¡El mejor juego de AC sin duda!
  94. Dec 31, 2016
    Bonjour, même si je ne faits commencer le jeux. Je le trouves pas mal du tout mais faut maitriser quand
    même avec une manette mais çà vas venir.

Bientôt grimper aux murs, courir sur les toits, faire le saut de la foie sera sans doute d'une facilité....
  95. Mar 5, 2017
    Nothing is true.Everything is permitted.I finished this game 10 times.And i can finish 10 times again.I can't explain this game with words.But i can say this: AC II 's story is great.

1. Assassin’s Creed II is a gem, a truly masterpiece also on PC. Developing a new economic system, and bringing more attention to combats, notoriety and context-script, Ubisoft achieves an awesome and epic experience. This sequel is far better than the first one.
  2. The PC version of last year's beautiful action adventure is lots of fun, but you'll have to overcome its online-only copy protection and high price point.
  3. Two years later, Assassin's Creed tries again to make real those promises from Ubisoft, and prove itself as a better game than it was. The truth is that, despite the Renaissance setting, the vivid locations and the historical landmarks, the new features added don't really improve the sequel: the same repetitive mechanics remain, as the flawed enemy AI, a rough combat system and moments of frustration coming from issues with the camera and the control response in the platform sections. Assassin's Creed II it's still a good game but far from the masterpiece Ubisoft has been promising.