6.5

1. Nov 8, 2011
    Ubisoft's "Assassin's Creed 2" looks beautiful with its architecture and buildings and all those thieves and prostitutes. However, the single player makes you kinda boring as time passes by; too repetitive of what it's doing as well as a long, monotonous story with linear assassinations (But it's fun). The crucial component of AC2 that disappointed me was the controls. It's TOO difficultUbisoft's "Assassin's Creed 2" looks beautiful with its architecture and buildings and all those thieves and prostitutes. However, the single player makes you kinda boring as time passes by; too repetitive of what it's doing as well as a long, monotonous story with linear assassinations (But it's fun). The crucial component of AC2 that disappointed me was the controls. It's TOO difficult and the counter-attacks are nearly impossible to use on the **** keyboard. Sure, you can fix it, but it's not gonna feel like the typical assassination games like "Hitman: Blood Money". Nevertheless, if you're interested in the game, try for it; Maybe you might like it.â Expand
  2. May 8, 2012
    Yesterday I finished replaying the game for the 2nd time (1st time was 2 years ago) and... the game is splendid. I really underestimated it for the first time, there were several reasons for that, but I didn't like it as much, as I liked it now.
    The Renaissance is one of the best times in AC series for now, lots of different locations, each with its unique sightseeings and interesting missions. It's hard to say why, but for some reason with every new part of AC we are going farther from silent kills and that kind of actions, more stupid submissions (( It' sad. But the AC2 still has the soul of stealth.
    10 out of 10 - definitely
    PS. I really surprised to see such a bad user score - it's ridiculous!
  3. Sep 29, 2011
    Assassin's Creed II is very slow at the start. I remember I was finding myself rather bored during the first 4-5 memories (out of 14). The missions weren't interesting, the areas were bland and the story was taking too long to get started. However it does pick up eventually and gets much better and incredibly fun. There are about 5 cities in this game, which is slightly more than the firstAssassin's Creed II is very slow at the start. I remember I was finding myself rather bored during the first 4-5 memories (out of 14). The missions weren't interesting, the areas were bland and the story was taking too long to get started. However it does pick up eventually and gets much better and incredibly fun. There are about 5 cities in this game, which is slightly more than the first game, and it also made improvements on many aspects from the first game, like the climbing and stealthy combat. The face-on combat is pretty much the same (it was already great to begin with, so I guess no improvements were needed), except fist fighting has gotten significantly improved. The game is also a lot more diverse. There are a lot of areas to explore, a lot of side quests to do, and even various mini-tasks such as refurbishing one of the cities to the full. One could probably spend many hours playing this game. So AC2 is better than the first in many areas, including graphics, storyline, gameplay and perhaps even the background music too. But it has some drawbacks however. The controls for example, which were already one of the biggest flaws of the first game, are even harder now. I had to go back to the controls menu to check up on some of them even in late stages of the game. They are hard to memorise and they are also very inconvenient, forcing you to hold like 3-4 buttons at the same time just to run after someone, making chase parts of the game rather difficult. I was also not too fond of many of the side quests and such. They were bland and so I ended up mostly just playing the main story. AC2 is a good game. I am guessing because of controls issues it's not supposed to be played on PC, but on a console. My bro has it on Xbox360 and the controls issues are virtually non-existent, so I'd probably advise you to get it on Xbox360 or PS3, not on PC, not to mention the killer graphics requirements the game has on PC. Expand
  4. Sep 30, 2011
    DRM aside, Assassin's Creed II is and awesome game, sure the controls can be frustrating, but the story and characters are stunning. Graphics are good too... until you get up close.
  5. Apr 19, 2011
    Great story, superb graphics, characters in the game are very real and in deep, and the environment is very real, too, play the game give me the feeling to live in the Renaissance Era in Italy. Combat system is very good, action is nearly perfect. After all, a great, great game that I've played so far. But there is something make it not perfect: first, the system requirements are tooGreat story, superb graphics, characters in the game are very real and in deep, and the environment is very real, too, play the game give me the feeling to live in the Renaissance Era in Italy. Combat system is very good, action is nearly perfect. After all, a great, great game that I've played so far. But there is something make it not perfect: first, the system requirements are too high, even on the very strong PC, there is still a lot of lag and glitch. Secondly, requirement of constant internet connection to play the game is annoying for people who have bad internet connection. A great work of Ubisoft, hope they can provide more in the next project. 9.0 points for you! Expand
  6. Sep 14, 2010
    Okay, let go of the DRM thing here. I only wanna talk about the game quality. Sure Ubisoft put their efforts into making it less repetitive, but the result only turned out to be like this: There's still no variety at all! What's the point in this? I'm really very disappointed with sandbox games in this gen btw. GTA IV and Mafia II are just like it, also rediculously repetitive, whichOkay, let go of the DRM thing here. I only wanna talk about the game quality. Sure Ubisoft put their efforts into making it less repetitive, but the result only turned out to be like this: There's still no variety at all! What's the point in this? I'm really very disappointed with sandbox games in this gen btw. GTA IV and Mafia II are just like it, also rediculously repetitive, which astounds me deeply. Expand
  7. Apr 1, 2011
    Great game, but the default control scheme is horrible. The tutorials, such as they are, don't provide much help in learning the controls, because all they show is little icons instead of what the actual keys you are supposed to press. Still, after a remap and learning the controls, it's a very easy thing to go off flying across rooftops and enjoying the scenery of Italy.
  8. Sep 24, 2010
    Beautiful game, but the DRM thing doesn't even let me play it...
    I understand that Ubisoft wanted to protect the first month after release, but this is far too much.
    I also tried using the **** crack to see if I was able to stop the game from crashing, with no success. Sorry, but I am not gonna buy anything more from Ubisoft. For this game I'll ask a friend to lend me his copy for xbox 360
    Beautiful game, but the DRM thing doesn't even let me play it...
    Sorry, but I am not gonna buy anything more from Ubisoft.
    For this game I'll ask a friend to lend me his copy for xbox 360 and I will play it there.
  9. Nov 13, 2010
    A great game one of the epic best action game well the drm system didnt give me a problem However, I am absolutely disgusted and disappointed in Ubisoft for the DRM. Ubisoft just spit on thousands of PC gamers for this ridiculous idea remember ubisoft u are losing customers with this stupid drm system
  10. Nov 20, 2010
    I recently tried to play this game again and remembered why I'd given up on it five months ago: the game is an abomination on the PC as it's clearly been programmed for consoles then hastily ported over.
    Flaws which have caused me to give up again just now - and remember this is months after release so various patches have been deployed.
    1. Volume - there is almost none, you really need
    1. Volume - there is almost none, you really need more than double your settings/speakers to get basic sound for the game. That's not too inconvenient until your system plays non-AC2 sounds and blows your ears off.
    2. Mouse Control - incredibly sluggish reactions even on the highest response settings.
    3. Keyboard - the controls are aimed at console users and sometimes inaccurate. Combined with the mouse problem you never feel you have smooth control this time.
    4. Save games - I just lost an entire session of play as the game decided not to bother saving at any point: I'd even transitioned to new zones and seen multiple specific "Syncs" but it's all gone.

The User Reviews speak volumes and I've no idea what incentives the critics received to for their reviews: I presume they played the console versions and then just knocked a few points off.

AVOID.

Massive travesty given how great AC1 was. If I even consider AC2 Brotherhood it will be on a Console.
  11. Feb 19, 2011
    Plays great, serious save game issues under windows 7 where it will not save your progress. You end up having to replay over over the same missions because of failure to save. It also resets all guards and other settings in games when you accept or decline optional quests. Ubisoft technical support is non existent. I have said it before, but thought I would give them another chance, IPlays great, serious save game issues under windows 7 where it will not save your progress. You end up having to replay over over the same missions because of failure to save. It also resets all guards and other settings in games when you accept or decline optional quests. Ubisoft technical support is non existent. I have said it before, but thought I would give them another chance, I will NOT be buying another game from this company. Expand
  12. Mar 24, 2011
    Lots of side missions that add depth to the main storyline game. Great main storylinethat builds Ezio from his womanizing care-free beginnings into the iconic assassin of the order. Various ways to complete objective even if gameplay is linear. Would have liked different endings depending on how you complete objectives. Gameplay mechanics improved from the original, but a more intelligentLots of side missions that add depth to the main storyline game. Great main storylinethat builds Ezio from his womanizing care-free beginnings into the iconic assassin of the order. Various ways to complete objective even if gameplay is linear. Would have liked different endings depending on how you complete objectives. Gameplay mechanics improved from the original, but a more intelligent and agressive AI would have been ideal and felt like a cake walk. Music by Jesper Kyd is phenomenal. (as always)
    -0.5 DRM issues (tisk tisk Ubisoft)
    -0.5 Creativity. (Repetitive Missions)
  13. Oct 4, 2011
    Great game, successfully built upon the first title, improved what was lacking, added a lot of potential and overall quite a satisfying game.

Full Review:
  14. May 21, 2013
    A massive step forward from the original AC game. The story is even better, Ezio is a great character to play as. The missions are far more engaging and entertaining than the previous game and there is also a built in economy that you can use to upgrade your "headquarters" and get yourself better gear. A great game.
  15. Jan 21, 2013
    The PC controls suck to high heaven to the point where I said f*** this ***t and deleted the game. I ain't got no time or patience for a crappy PC port and I HATE console controllers.
  16. Aug 17, 2010
    Nearly flawless game. Shadows are strangely rendered and can be distracting even on the highest settings, but otherwise it is a fantastic ride through a beautiful country in a beautiful time period. Would love more games to take place in such a rich setting. Music is superb and haunting. DRM is obnoxious, and unfairly mean to customers without internet access, but rating this game a 0Nearly flawless game. Shadows are strangely rendered and can be distracting even on the highest settings, but otherwise it is a fantastic ride through a beautiful country in a beautiful time period. Would love more games to take place in such a rich setting. Music is superb and haunting. DRM is obnoxious, and unfairly mean to customers without internet access, but rating this game a 0 because of a decision made by the big suits is not only immature, but unfair to the masterpiece underneath. Expand
  17. Nov 18, 2010
    i found this game extremely fun, the environments are beautiful and i didn't find it overly repetitive. the story is great as are the characters. the only problem is the combat with the enemies waiting and taking turns to be stabbed but its easily ignored. the exploration is great, i'm sure most of the negative reviews are about the drm not the game itself.
  18. Dec 1, 2010
    It´s incerdible game, increadibly great world, the story is extremly gripping. there is great freedom in way to kill you target, the play time is good as well, about 40hours include some side quest (not all of them) and sometime some quest repeating :-)...but anyway it´s one of best game I ever play (the game not the Ubisoft launcher :D )
  19. Mar 7, 2012
    An artistic masterpiece, providing an incredibly deep and immersive storyline. The character realism was fabulous. The voice acting is outstanding. Ezio feels like Antonio Banderas combining a romancing charm with his cold-hearted killer instincts. The fundamentals of the original game have been vastly improved upon. Many of the finishing moves are just spectacular to watch; the doubleAn artistic masterpiece, providing an incredibly deep and immersive storyline. The character realism was fabulous. The voice acting is outstanding. Ezio feels like Antonio Banderas combining a romancing charm with his cold-hearted killer instincts. The fundamentals of the original game have been vastly improved upon. Many of the finishing moves are just spectacular to watch; the double switchblade faceplant always brings a smile to my face.

Straight up combat is still a weak point in the game, but they increased the fun factor by providing more means to avoid it like hiring thieves, using smoke bombs, creating a distraction by throwing money, strategically placing corpses, and assassinating targets from distance with a pistol. At ~30 gameplay hours, Assassin's Creed II was an amazing experience.
  20. Jan 11, 2011
    this game is horrible it is one of the worst console ports i have ever seen ubisoft really did a **** job even though i got it on sale from steam it was NOT worth the money at all
  21. Mar 1, 2011
    I think it's ABSOLUTELY ridiculous that people are bashing the game because of the DRM. The DRM does not make the game any worse. I understand that your gaming experience can be ruined by the fact that you have a really spotty internet connection, but that's just the experience, not the game itself. When I bought this game, the first thing I noticed was the big box on the bottom that saysI think it's ABSOLUTELY ridiculous that people are bashing the game because of the DRM. The DRM does not make the game any worse. I understand that your gaming experience can be ruined by the fact that you have a really spotty internet connection, but that's just the experience, not the game itself. When I bought this game, the first thing I noticed was the big box on the bottom that says "Continuous Internet Connection Required." If you see that, don't buy the game. It's that simple. I completely disagree with Ubisoft for using the DRM, but don't let that detract from a great game. Now for my actual review:

I loved this game. It was MUCH better than Assassin's Creed. The combat itself hadn't improved all that much, though I really liked being able to use the hidden blades in combat, and the attachments that went with it. I particularly loved the fact that climbing wasn't as slow, as Ezio could climb swiftly if there was a clear path to the top.

What I was most impressed about was the story. In the original AC, you played as Altaïr, who really had no character presence. He was just a blade with a voice, and you never really connected with him. However, Ezio was fantastic. His personality had so much depth, and as the story progressed, you really felt Ezio progress as well. Hats off to Ubisoft on this one, regardless of the DRM.

That being said, I give a 9/10, one point off for the numerous times that I would jump from a wooden beam, and automatically jump diagonally away from my destination.

To all those complaining about the DRM:

If you consider yourself a "PC Gamer," you should really have a good internet connection. It's 2011, catch up with the times.
  22. Mar 27, 2011
    Gameplay - 10 , Graphics - 8.0 , Story - 9.0 , Playing time - 30+hours. Aside from the DRM problem, this is a very good game. However, for 2010 the graphics is a bit outdated.
  23. Jun 8, 2011
    The game was bad, ecspeccially compared to the great first on.A linear story, a horrible drm, a Boring story and game 'improvements' that are actually worse then the game before hound the game.
  24. Sep 21, 2011
    I'm very disappointed with Assassin's Creed II. It took me two days just to win a silly race so I could pass to the next area of the game. I then spent a week trying to get use to the awkward PC controls but just couldn't get use to the overly complicated set of keystrokes just to do some mindless fighting "dance" sequence to I could pass through a training segment to what I hoped to beI'm very disappointed with Assassin's Creed II. It took me two days just to win a silly race so I could pass to the next area of the game. I then spent a week trying to get use to the awkward PC controls but just couldn't get use to the overly complicated set of keystrokes just to do some mindless fighting "dance" sequence to I could pass through a training segment to what I hoped to be the real game. I'll not get there as my patients ran out. This is a very tiring and silly game. As this game also requires a permanent Internet connection, I'll not be buying into this sort of nonsense again from any game distributor. Expand
  25. Jul 7, 2012
    This game is epic, there was so much love and dedication put in this game it simply gives you a feeling of satisfaction once you complete it that you don't feel quite often when completing a game. Every single aspect of the story is very well made and the near-end plot twist is awesome, from beginning to end it is interesting and keeps you immersed. The graphics are good but there is spaceThis game is epic, there was so much love and dedication put in this game it simply gives you a feeling of satisfaction once you complete it that you don't feel quite often when completing a game. Every single aspect of the story is very well made and the near-end plot twist is awesome, from beginning to end it is interesting and keeps you immersed. The graphics are good but there is space for improvement, Assassin's Creed had amazing graphics and I feel this is just the same graphics with little or no improvement. The overall sound is amazing with a great soundtrack which is also great to play with an instrument and some excellent sound effects as well as top voice acting. The platforming is way faster and better in many ways such as the gameplay that has you always interested. You can get about 12 hours out of this game and even though the replay value is not much I had the desire to play it again, which I did. Now to the part everyone hated, the Ubisoft DRM is something that has people really mad, but I had surprisingly no problems with this. Overall you should get this game though you should be really careful about the DRM for mac users the best option is buying it in the mac app store and but I think overall the best thing you could do is get it for console, yet its worth a try on PC/Mac. Expand
  26. Dec 29, 2011
    This game is great, specially the storyline. They create a great bound between the player and the character. The graphics are awesome, the sound is very good, the gameplay is diversed and is not repetitive. The only thing I didn't like was the whole city-travelling thing. It's a very good game overall, I'd give it a 8,5 if I could. Also, I don't get why people complain about the DRM whenThis game is great, specially the storyline. They create a great bound between the player and the character. The graphics are awesome, the sound is very good, the gameplay is diversed and is not repetitive. The only thing I didn't like was the whole city-travelling thing. It's a very good game overall, I'd give it a 8,5 if I could. Also, I don't get why people complain about the DRM when you're supposed to rate the game itself... Expand
  27. Oct 19, 2010
    Pros: Graphics, Story line, combat.
    Cons: Logic.
    I also have been seeing countless responses to the DRM, i am not sure what it is or why people are annoyed with it but my experience with AC2 on pc and on ps3 was flawless from a technical perspective.
  28. Mar 3, 2011
    This is a really great game so what if it has/had DRM to be honest it doesn't matter unless you are installing it on like 5 PCs in which case I have to ask why you would be installing it on that many PCs. The people who say the DRM boots you out of the game well I have never been booted out of the game because of the DRM.
  29. Mar 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is incredible . When a saw Rating from users on Metacritic i want kill that that motherf*ckers who wrote it. These guys are crazy or what ? This is all what i want to say . Fu*k with you . Thank god of the rewievers from magazines and web sites . Expand
  30. Mar 13, 2011
    Game is really good and the DRM system is updated. Missions are really awesome some of them are hard but I still give this game 10/10. Most Assassin's Creed players will enjoy this game. And it also comes with free DLC unlike for consoles.

1. Assassin’s Creed II is a gem, a truly masterpiece also on PC. Developing a new economic system, and bringing more attention to combats, notoriety and context-script, Ubisoft achieves an awesome and epic experience. This sequel is far better than the first one.
  2. The PC version of last year's beautiful action adventure is lots of fun, but you'll have to overcome its online-only copy protection and high price point.
  3. Two years later, Assassin's Creed tries again to make real those promises from Ubisoft, and prove itself as a better game than it was. The truth is that, despite the Renaissance setting, the vivid locations and the historical landmarks, the new features added don't really improve the sequel: the same repetitive mechanics remain, as the flawed enemy AI, a rough combat system and moments of frustration coming from issues with the camera and the control response in the platform sections. Assassin's Creed II it's still a good game but far from the masterpiece Ubisoft has been promising.