6.5

1. Nov 8, 2011
    Ubisoft's "Assassin's Creed 2" looks beautiful with its architecture and buildings and all those thieves and prostitutes. However, the single player makes you kinda boring as time passes by; too repetitive of what it's doing as well as a long, monotonous story with linear assassinations (But it's fun). The crucial component of AC2 that disappointed me was the controls. It's TOO difficultUbisoft's "Assassin's Creed 2" looks beautiful with its architecture and buildings and all those thieves and prostitutes. However, the single player makes you kinda boring as time passes by; too repetitive of what it's doing as well as a long, monotonous story with linear assassinations (But it's fun). The crucial component of AC2 that disappointed me was the controls. It's TOO difficult and the counter-attacks are nearly impossible to use on the **** keyboard. Sure, you can fix it, but it's not gonna feel like the typical assassination games like "Hitman: Blood Money". Nevertheless, if you're interested in the game, try for it; Maybe you might like it.â Expand
  2. May 8, 2012
    Yesterday I finished replaying the game for the 2nd time (1st time was 2 years ago) and... the game is splendid. I really underestimated it for the first time, there were several reasons for that, but I didn't like it as much, as I liked it now.
    The Renaissance is one of the best times in AC series for now, lots of different locations, each with its unique sightseeings and interesting missions. It's hard to say why, but for some reason with every new part of AC we are going farther from silent kills and that kind of actions, more stupid submissions (( It' sad. But the AC2 still has the soul of stealth.
    10 out of 10 - definitely
    PS. I really surprised to see such a bad user score - it's ridiculous!
  3. Sep 29, 2011
    Assassin's Creed II is very slow at the start. I remember I was finding myself rather bored during the first 4-5 memories (out of 14). The missions weren't interesting, the areas were bland and the story was taking too long to get started. However it does pick up eventually and gets much better and incredibly fun. There are about 5 cities in this game, which is slightly more than the firstAssassin's Creed II is very slow at the start. I remember I was finding myself rather bored during the first 4-5 memories (out of 14). The missions weren't interesting, the areas were bland and the story was taking too long to get started. However it does pick up eventually and gets much better and incredibly fun. There are about 5 cities in this game, which is slightly more than the first game, and it also made improvements on many aspects from the first game, like the climbing and stealthy combat. The face-on combat is pretty much the same (it was already great to begin with, so I guess no improvements were needed), except fist fighting has gotten significantly improved. The game is also a lot more diverse. There are a lot of areas to explore, a lot of side quests to do, and even various mini-tasks such as refurbishing one of the cities to the full. One could probably spend many hours playing this game. So AC2 is better than the first in many areas, including graphics, storyline, gameplay and perhaps even the background music too. But it has some drawbacks however. The controls for example, which were already one of the biggest flaws of the first game, are even harder now. I had to go back to the controls menu to check up on some of them even in late stages of the game. They are hard to memorise and they are also very inconvenient, forcing you to hold like 3-4 buttons at the same time just to run after someone, making chase parts of the game rather difficult. I was also not too fond of many of the side quests and such. They were bland and so I ended up mostly just playing the main story. AC2 is a good game. I am guessing because of controls issues it's not supposed to be played on PC, but on a console. My bro has it on Xbox360 and the controls issues are virtually non-existent, so I'd probably advise you to get it on Xbox360 or PS3, not on PC, not to mention the killer graphics requirements the game has on PC. Expand
  4. Sep 30, 2011
    DRM aside, Assassin's Creed II is and awesome game, sure the controls can be frustrating, but the story and characters are stunning. Graphics are good too... until you get up close.
  5. Apr 19, 2011
    Great story, superb graphics, characters in the game are very real and in deep, and the environment is very real, too, play the game give me the feeling to live in the Renaissance Era in Italy. Combat system is very good, action is nearly perfect. After all, a great, great game that I've played so far. But there is something make it not perfect: first, the system requirements are tooGreat story, superb graphics, characters in the game are very real and in deep, and the environment is very real, too, play the game give me the feeling to live in the Renaissance Era in Italy. Combat system is very good, action is nearly perfect. After all, a great, great game that I've played so far. But there is something make it not perfect: first, the system requirements are too high, even on the very strong PC, there is still a lot of lag and glitch. Secondly, requirement of constant internet connection to play the game is annoying for people who have bad internet connection. A great work of Ubisoft, hope they can provide more in the next project. 9.0 points for you! Expand
  6. Sep 14, 2010
    Okay, let go of the DRM thing here. I only wanna talk about the game quality. Sure Ubisoft put their efforts into making it less repetitive, but the result only turned out to be like this: There's still no variety at all! What's the point in this? I'm really very disappointed with sandbox games in this gen btw. GTA IV and Mafia II are just like it, also rediculously repetitive, whichOkay, let go of the DRM thing here. I only wanna talk about the game quality. Sure Ubisoft put their efforts into making it less repetitive, but the result only turned out to be like this: There's still no variety at all! What's the point in this? I'm really very disappointed with sandbox games in this gen btw. GTA IV and Mafia II are just like it, also rediculously repetitive, which astounds me deeply. Expand
  7. Apr 1, 2011
    Great game, but the default control scheme is horrible. The tutorials, such as they are, don't provide much help in learning the controls, because all they show is little icons instead of what the actual keys you are supposed to press. Still, after a remap and learning the controls, it's a very easy thing to go off flying across rooftops and enjoying the scenery of Italy.
  8. Sep 24, 2010
    Beautiful game, but the DRM thing doesn't even let me play it...
    I understand that Ubisoft wanted to protect the first month after release, but this is far too much.
    I also tried using the **** crack to see if I was able to stop the game from crashing, with no success. Sorry, but I am not gonna buy anything more from Ubisoft. For this game I'll ask a friend to lend me his copy for xbox 360
    Beautiful game, but the DRM thing doesn't even let me play it...
    Sorry, but I am not gonna buy anything more from Ubisoft.
    For this game I'll ask a friend to lend me his copy for xbox 360 and I will play it there.
  9. Nov 13, 2010
    A great game one of the epic best action game well the drm system didnt give me a problem However, I am absolutely disgusted and disappointed in Ubisoft for the DRM. Ubisoft just spit on thousands of PC gamers for this ridiculous idea remember ubisoft u are losing customers with this stupid drm system
  10. Nov 20, 2010
    I recently tried to play this game again and remembered why I'd given up on it five months ago: the game is an abomination on the PC as it's clearly been programmed for consoles then hastily ported over.
    Flaws which have caused me to give up again just now - and remember this is months after release so various patches have been deployed.
    1. Volume - there is almost none, you really need
    1. Volume - there is almost none, you really need more than double your settings/speakers to get basic sound for the game. That's not too inconvenient until your system plays non-AC2 sounds and blows your ears off.
    2. Mouse Control - incredibly sluggish reactions even on the highest response settings.
    3. Keyboard - the controls are aimed at console users and sometimes inaccurate. Combined with the mouse problem you never feel you have smooth control this time.
    4. Save games - I just lost an entire session of play as the game decided not to bother saving at any point: I'd even transitioned to new zones and seen multiple specific "Syncs" but it's all gone.

The User Reviews speak volumes and I've no idea what incentives the critics received to for their reviews: I presume they played the console versions and then just knocked a few points off.

AVOID.

Massive travesty given how great AC1 was. If I even consider AC2 Brotherhood it will be on a Console.
  11. Feb 19, 2011
    Plays great, serious save game issues under windows 7 where it will not save your progress. You end up having to replay over over the same missions because of failure to save. It also resets all guards and other settings in games when you accept or decline optional quests. Ubisoft technical support is non existent. I have said it before, but thought I would give them another chance, IPlays great, serious save game issues under windows 7 where it will not save your progress. You end up having to replay over over the same missions because of failure to save. It also resets all guards and other settings in games when you accept or decline optional quests. Ubisoft technical support is non existent. I have said it before, but thought I would give them another chance, I will NOT be buying another game from this company. Expand
  12. Mar 24, 2011
    Lots of side missions that add depth to the main storyline game. Great main storylinethat builds Ezio from his womanizing care-free beginnings into the iconic assassin of the order. Various ways to complete objective even if gameplay is linear. Would have liked different endings depending on how you complete objectives. Gameplay mechanics improved from the original, but a more intelligentLots of side missions that add depth to the main storyline game. Great main storylinethat builds Ezio from his womanizing care-free beginnings into the iconic assassin of the order. Various ways to complete objective even if gameplay is linear. Would have liked different endings depending on how you complete objectives. Gameplay mechanics improved from the original, but a more intelligent and agressive AI would have been ideal and felt like a cake walk. Music by Jesper Kyd is phenomenal. (as always)
    -0.5 DRM issues (tisk tisk Ubisoft)
    -0.5 Creativity. (Repetitive Missions)
  13. Oct 4, 2011
    Great game, successfully built upon the first title, improved what was lacking, added a lot of potential and overall quite a satisfying game.

Full Review:
  14. May 21, 2013
    A massive step forward from the original AC game. The story is even better, Ezio is a great character to play as. The missions are far more engaging and entertaining than the previous game and there is also a built in economy that you can use to upgrade your "headquarters" and get yourself better gear. A great game.
  15. Jan 21, 2013
    The PC controls suck to high heaven to the point where I said f*** this ***t and deleted the game. I ain't got no time or patience for a crappy PC port and I HATE console controllers.
  16. Aug 17, 2010
    Nearly flawless game. Shadows are strangely rendered and can be distracting even on the highest settings, but otherwise it is a fantastic ride through a beautiful country in a beautiful time period. Would love more games to take place in such a rich setting. Music is superb and haunting. DRM is obnoxious, and unfairly mean to customers without internet access, but rating this game a 0Nearly flawless game. Shadows are strangely rendered and can be distracting even on the highest settings, but otherwise it is a fantastic ride through a beautiful country in a beautiful time period. Would love more games to take place in such a rich setting. Music is superb and haunting. DRM is obnoxious, and unfairly mean to customers without internet access, but rating this game a 0 because of a decision made by the big suits is not only immature, but unfair to the masterpiece underneath. Expand
  17. Nov 18, 2010
    i found this game extremely fun, the environments are beautiful and i didn't find it overly repetitive. the story is great as are the characters. the only problem is the combat with the enemies waiting and taking turns to be stabbed but its easily ignored. the exploration is great, i'm sure most of the negative reviews are about the drm not the game itself.
  18. Dec 1, 2010
    It´s incerdible game, increadibly great world, the story is extremly gripping. there is great freedom in way to kill you target, the play time is good as well, about 40hours include some side quest (not all of them) and sometime some quest repeating :-)...but anyway it´s one of best game I ever play (the game not the Ubisoft launcher :D )
  19. Mar 7, 2012
    An artistic masterpiece, providing an incredibly deep and immersive storyline. The character realism was fabulous. The voice acting is outstanding. Ezio feels like Antonio Banderas combining a romancing charm with his cold-hearted killer instincts. The fundamentals of the original game have been vastly improved upon. Many of the finishing moves are just spectacular to watch; the doubleAn artistic masterpiece, providing an incredibly deep and immersive storyline. The character realism was fabulous. The voice acting is outstanding. Ezio feels like Antonio Banderas combining a romancing charm with his cold-hearted killer instincts. The fundamentals of the original game have been vastly improved upon. Many of the finishing moves are just spectacular to watch; the double switchblade faceplant always brings a smile to my face.

Straight up combat is still a weak point in the game, but they increased the fun factor by providing more means to avoid it like hiring thieves, using smoke bombs, creating a distraction by throwing money, strategically placing corpses, and assassinating targets from distance with a pistol. At ~30 gameplay hours, Assassin's Creed II was an amazing experience.
  20. Jan 11, 2011
    this game is horrible it is one of the worst console ports i have ever seen ubisoft really did a **** job even though i got it on sale from steam it was NOT worth the money at all
  21. Mar 1, 2011
    I think it's ABSOLUTELY ridiculous that people are bashing the game because of the DRM. The DRM does not make the game any worse. I understand that your gaming experience can be ruined by the fact that you have a really spotty internet connection, but that's just the experience, not the game itself. When I bought this game, the first thing I noticed was the big box on the bottom that saysI think it's ABSOLUTELY ridiculous that people are bashing the game because of the DRM. The DRM does not make the game any worse. I understand that your gaming experience can be ruined by the fact that you have a really spotty internet connection, but that's just the experience, not the game itself. When I bought this game, the first thing I noticed was the big box on the bottom that says "Continuous Internet Connection Required." If you see that, don't buy the game. It's that simple. I completely disagree with Ubisoft for using the DRM, but don't let that detract from a great game. Now for my actual review:

I loved this game. It was MUCH better than Assassin's Creed. The combat itself hadn't improved all that much, though I really liked being able to use the hidden blades in combat, and the attachments that went with it. I particularly loved the fact that climbing wasn't as slow, as Ezio could climb swiftly if there was a clear path to the top.

What I was most impressed about was the story. In the original AC, you played as Altaïr, who really had no character presence. He was just a blade with a voice, and you never really connected with him. However, Ezio was fantastic. His personality had so much depth, and as the story progressed, you really felt Ezio progress as well. Hats off to Ubisoft on this one, regardless of the DRM.

That being said, I give a 9/10, one point off for the numerous times that I would jump from a wooden beam, and automatically jump diagonally away from my destination.

To all those complaining about the DRM:

If you consider yourself a "PC Gamer," you should really have a good internet connection. It's 2011, catch up with the times.
  22. Mar 27, 2011
    Gameplay - 10 , Graphics - 8.0 , Story - 9.0 , Playing time - 30+hours. Aside from the DRM problem, this is a very good game. However, for 2010 the graphics is a bit outdated.
  23. Jun 8, 2011
    The game was bad, ecspeccially compared to the great first on.A linear story, a horrible drm, a Boring story and game 'improvements' that are actually worse then the game before hound the game.
  24. Sep 21, 2011
    I'm very disappointed with Assassin's Creed II. It took me two days just to win a silly race so I could pass to the next area of the game. I then spent a week trying to get use to the awkward PC controls but just couldn't get use to the overly complicated set of keystrokes just to do some mindless fighting "dance" sequence to I could pass through a training segment to what I hoped to beI'm very disappointed with Assassin's Creed II. It took me two days just to win a silly race so I could pass to the next area of the game. I then spent a week trying to get use to the awkward PC controls but just couldn't get use to the overly complicated set of keystrokes just to do some mindless fighting "dance" sequence to I could pass through a training segment to what I hoped to be the real game. I'll not get there as my patients ran out. This is a very tiring and silly game. As this game also requires a permanent Internet connection, I'll not be buying into this sort of nonsense again from any game distributor. Expand
  25. Jul 7, 2012
    This game is epic, there was so much love and dedication put in this game it simply gives you a feeling of satisfaction once you complete it that you don't feel quite often when completing a game. Every single aspect of the story is very well made and the near-end plot twist is awesome, from beginning to end it is interesting and keeps you immersed. The graphics are good but there is spaceThis game is epic, there was so much love and dedication put in this game it simply gives you a feeling of satisfaction once you complete it that you don't feel quite often when completing a game. Every single aspect of the story is very well made and the near-end plot twist is awesome, from beginning to end it is interesting and keeps you immersed. The graphics are good but there is space for improvement, Assassin's Creed had amazing graphics and I feel this is just the same graphics with little or no improvement. The overall sound is amazing with a great soundtrack which is also great to play with an instrument and some excellent sound effects as well as top voice acting. The platforming is way faster and better in many ways such as the gameplay that has you always interested. You can get about 12 hours out of this game and even though the replay value is not much I had the desire to play it again, which I did. Now to the part everyone hated, the Ubisoft DRM is something that has people really mad, but I had surprisingly no problems with this. Overall you should get this game though you should be really careful about the DRM for mac users the best option is buying it in the mac app store and but I think overall the best thing you could do is get it for console, yet its worth a try on PC/Mac. Expand
  26. Dec 29, 2011
    This game is great, specially the storyline. They create a great bound between the player and the character. The graphics are awesome, the sound is very good, the gameplay is diversed and is not repetitive. The only thing I didn't like was the whole city-travelling thing. It's a very good game overall, I'd give it a 8,5 if I could. Also, I don't get why people complain about the DRM whenThis game is great, specially the storyline. They create a great bound between the player and the character. The graphics are awesome, the sound is very good, the gameplay is diversed and is not repetitive. The only thing I didn't like was the whole city-travelling thing. It's a very good game overall, I'd give it a 8,5 if I could. Also, I don't get why people complain about the DRM when you're supposed to rate the game itself... Expand
  27. Oct 19, 2010
    Pros: Graphics, Story line, combat.
    Cons: Logic.
    I also have been seeing countless responses to the DRM, i am not sure what it is or why people are annoyed with it but my experience with AC2 on pc and on ps3 was flawless from a technical perspective.
  28. Mar 3, 2011
    This is a really great game so what if it has/had DRM to be honest it doesn't matter unless you are installing it on like 5 PCs in which case I have to ask why you would be installing it on that many PCs. The people who say the DRM boots you out of the game well I have never been booted out of the game because of the DRM.
  29. Mar 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is incredible . When a saw Rating from users on Metacritic i want kill that that motherf*ckers who wrote it. These guys are crazy or what ? This is all what i want to say . Fu*k with you . Thank god of the rewievers from magazines and web sites . Expand
  30. Mar 13, 2011
    Game is really good and the DRM system is updated. Missions are really awesome some of them are hard but I still give this game 10/10. Most Assassin's Creed players will enjoy this game. And it also comes with free DLC unlike for consoles.
  31. Mar 17, 2011
    Enjoyable from 0.5 hours in to finish. The start of the game is woeful. Apart from that, the feeling of speed, motion and exploration are rendered well in a rich historical backdrop. I found the storyline attempted to be too grand and a bit silly at times, and despite best efforts the repetitive missions are still a bugbear. The gameplay makes up for it however, and judged on it's merits,Enjoyable from 0.5 hours in to finish. The start of the game is woeful. Apart from that, the feeling of speed, motion and exploration are rendered well in a rich historical backdrop. I found the storyline attempted to be too grand and a bit silly at times, and despite best efforts the repetitive missions are still a bugbear. The gameplay makes up for it however, and judged on it's merits, make this a good bit of light fun. Expand
  32. Mar 22, 2011
    requires constant internet connection to play single player which is absolutely ridiculous.
    im not paying 50
  33. May 28, 2011
    DON'T buy this for PC. After having read all of these horrible reviews, I figured it couldn't be *that* bad and I got it (because it is a great game, after all). Such a waste of money! First there's the DRM and required internet connection - not a problem for me, though. I get booted out of the game sometimes (Ubisoft's issue, not mine) and often my game doesn't save properly and I have toDON'T buy this for PC. After having read all of these horrible reviews, I figured it couldn't be *that* bad and I got it (because it is a great game, after all). Such a waste of money! First there's the DRM and required internet connection - not a problem for me, though. I get booted out of the game sometimes (Ubisoft's issue, not mine) and often my game doesn't save properly and I have to redo it (which is bad considering you can't save whenever you want in this game - it's automatic). When I play this, I feel like I'm playing a pirated or emulated game!!! It's so sloppily copied from the console game it's not even funny... it's actually sad. At the beginning of the game it shows you the controls using the Xbox360 color coded icons. I found myself mashing random buttons on the keyboard having no idea what corresponded.

There are so many bugs and issues I don't even know where to start, from messed up cutscenes to bad controls. If you want to play Assassin's Creed II, get it for another system (it's a really good game when it's not on PC). If you don't have one, honestly just pirate the game (I never pirate games but I wouldn't blame anyone if they did with this terrible thing).
  34. Apr 28, 2011
    I found this game thoroughly enjoyable, and i'm not going to whine over how highly dodgy the DRM is, even though I do have few connection problems. I will agree with the multitude of people who complain that it is pretty shoddy, but the game itself, not counting the DRM, is a true masterpiece
    The storyline is highly involving and intricate, the time setting couldn't really have been more appropriate and I found Renaissance Italy a very interesting setting to work from.The graphics are fantastic, and even though the system requirements are a bit beefy, I couldn't help every once in a while climbing a viewpoint simply to stand there and gaze at the surrounding cityline.
    A major aspect of the first game was the non-linear style of play, which I loved. This has been very nicely updated and improved in the sequel, which a vast range of side-missions to complete, as well as having entire cities to roam around almost freely, allowing you to decide when to complete a main objective; you can go and rush through the main story if you want or leave it out until you've had some fun with it.
    The fighting system, freerunning and climbing aspects, the largest parts of the game, have been improved very nicely, with more freedom as to how you can conduct yourself about the city. The in-depth and well-explored characters also allow the player to feel immersed in the game. All of this makes for a game that can be replayed again and again and will always feel a little different.
  35. Oct 3, 2011
    Sorry Ubisoft but you have not even made an effort on the PC. The controls are HORRIBLE on both keyboard/mouse and also on a controller. Don't tell me it can't be done because Mass Effect have done it fine. Any game that you can't control properly can't be played, game design 101. The second and equally disappointing thing is that the game itself is boring and uninteresting. The first wasSorry Ubisoft but you have not even made an effort on the PC. The controls are HORRIBLE on both keyboard/mouse and also on a controller. Don't tell me it can't be done because Mass Effect have done it fine. Any game that you can't control properly can't be played, game design 101. The second and equally disappointing thing is that the game itself is boring and uninteresting. The first was great because it had an interesting backround and it kept you going. In AC2, the characters are annoying as hell and the game set in the 15th century is honestly terrible. I'm not going to even bring up the DRM as it has all been said before. Serious control issues and a terrible game add up to a generous 3/10 for me. Such a shame. Expand
  36. Aug 7, 2011
    I was not surprised to find myself fully immersed in this game from the moment I began playing, there is not really anything I can find in this game that I disliked. I think that the restriction on free roaming and killing civilians in necessary within the context of this story. As for the DRM; what do you expect big companies like 'Ubisoft' to do when websites like 'PirateBay' exist II was not surprised to find myself fully immersed in this game from the moment I began playing, there is not really anything I can find in this game that I disliked. I think that the restriction on free roaming and killing civilians in necessary within the context of this story. As for the DRM; what do you expect big companies like 'Ubisoft' to do when websites like 'PirateBay' exist I think they should continue to do all they can to protect these games that they work so hard to create. Expand
  37. Nov 25, 2011
    es un juego fantastico una experiencia inolvidable
    sinceramente es uno de los mejorers juegos y **** IS HORRIBLE la compania con su mierda de DRM hace una BAD EXPERIENCE y es que se que muchos estais molestos por el DRM of the DAMNED fu*k you ****
  38. Nov 21, 2011
    Great game you see what the team has done it is just positive. Great story and the movment is just awesome. As a complete Assassin's creed game also awesome.
  39. Nov 16, 2011
    First of all, you need a gamepad, second, you need to stuff around with some control settings, after that the game itself is absolutely fantastic. Great story, graphics could be better but they are still very nice. Gameplay is terrific, very addictive and a decent challenge. This game is miles ahead of the first one.
    If you can ignore the DRM and solve the control issues you are in for a
    If you can ignore the DRM and solve the control issues you are in for a treat. I would give it a 9 if it werent for these issues.
  40. Nov 17, 2011
    Absolutely beautiful game world that is hindered on the PC. It is obvious the design of this game was strictly for consoles, which I do not really mind. But when that is the case, don't release it on PC and steal our money. If you can't take the time to make the controls more PC friendly, then just don't waste our time and take our money. We aren't your target audience anyway.
  41. Dec 22, 2011
    I like this game, good textures, a nice story (it takes a while to complete) and some pretty good combat. I just don't like that it is a real long game and you get stuck on levels a little too much. But overall I absolutely LOVE this game! 9 out of 10 is what it gets
  42. Dec 31, 2011
    I think that people should rate the game based on it's gameplay, graphics and controls. I found the storyline to be gripping and interesting.
    The voice acting of the characters, NPCs etc in the game is spot on and really fits the setting.
    The repetitive gameplay of the original AC has now vanished and this makes for a much more enjoyable game. The controls are easy to use and you can bind abilities to different keys if you feel the need to do so.
    The graphics are great and at medium to max settings with anti-aliasing, look better than the console equivalent due to the vastly superior shadows and lighting. I do however feel sad that the PC version has ended up getting low user scores because of DRM, because the game itself is great. All in all, it's a great game and is now available very cheaply.
  43. Dec 3, 2013
    Awesome story, Ezio Auditore is one of the best characters ever created in a video game.
    Great stealth and combat, extremely detailed setting. Graphics are still decent even though a few years passed since release. It has some small design problems to it which prevent it from getting a higher score.
    A classic game that any true gamer should try, earns an 8/10 but it would get 10 if the review was about story alone.
  44. Apr 17, 2012
    A poor example of a console port. Within minutes the tutorial parts are asking you to press the red button or the green button instead of the correct keyboard button like a decent console port would do. At one point I spent 10 minutes trying to find a button just to pick up an object because it wasn't displaying what keyboard button I had to press. I unfortunately dropped this game out ofA poor example of a console port. Within minutes the tutorial parts are asking you to press the red button or the green button instead of the correct keyboard button like a decent console port would do. At one point I spent 10 minutes trying to find a button just to pick up an object because it wasn't displaying what keyboard button I had to press. I unfortunately dropped this game out of frustration. Expand
  45. Mar 15, 2012
    Aside from Ubisoft's sketchy DRM, The game itself is brilliant. If you loved the original, then this game will not disappoint. the only thing about Assassin's Creed that will drive you nuts is the bad camera angles that happen the odd occasion, where you are forced to jump on a very strange angle, or jump and grab a ledge from a side-scroller point of view. with a gamepad, I'm sure itsAside from Ubisoft's sketchy DRM, The game itself is brilliant. If you loved the original, then this game will not disappoint. the only thing about Assassin's Creed that will drive you nuts is the bad camera angles that happen the odd occasion, where you are forced to jump on a very strange angle, or jump and grab a ledge from a side-scroller point of view. with a gamepad, I'm sure its probably nothing, but with mouse and keyboard its an annoyance. Aside from that, The game is very well done, right down to the small details that set this game apart from other Free-Runner games like Mirror's Edge and the like. Great story, Great voice acting, and Great Lore. Worth every penny. Collapse
  46. Mar 26, 2012
    i do not understand all the rage comments below, i simply loved this game like i loved the first game of the series, worth checking out, but first play the first game to have an idea what it is all about :D
  47. Oct 29, 2013
    Less repetitive than the first game, lots of content, a good story and nicely routed in history. There are now some nice pure puzzle platformer parts that bring tomb raider gameplay to mind. Sadly the horrible interface prevents this game from being great. This is a badly done port with severe consolitis interface not optimised for mouse+keyboard, severe mouse acceleration, generally tooLess repetitive than the first game, lots of content, a good story and nicely routed in history. There are now some nice pure puzzle platformer parts that bring tomb raider gameplay to mind. Sadly the horrible interface prevents this game from being great. This is a badly done port with severe consolitis interface not optimised for mouse+keyboard, severe mouse acceleration, generally too arcade, low detail graphics due to xbox RAM limits etc. Expand
  48. Apr 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the best AC's games around, very long with awesome locations, a very long story, kept me busy for 40 hours almost non stop, also if you like to explore this game is completely "Free Roam" wanna go on top of a building ? You can ! Wanna look for collectibles ? You can, i would say this is one of the best and safe buy of AC's game i did, you will be able to visit Venice and Florence, and as for me which i listened to the entire game made in Italian was feeling like real. Expand
  49. Jun 16, 2012
    The story is very well-written. I can't expect more about the story. Graphic is great. Environment is great. The game is quite short, i hope it was longer. However, i had a lot of fun during the 20hrs gameplay. I enjoy the story so much. Battle is pretty good. I finished this game twice because i just like it so much. I think i could finish it for the third time because it is just sooooThe story is very well-written. I can't expect more about the story. Graphic is great. Environment is great. The game is quite short, i hope it was longer. However, i had a lot of fun during the 20hrs gameplay. I enjoy the story so much. Battle is pretty good. I finished this game twice because i just like it so much. I think i could finish it for the third time because it is just soooo good. I'm not getting money for writing this. Expand
  50. Jul 14, 2012
    Awesome story,great combat,stealth gameplay,perfect graphics,KILLKILLKILL!
    Best Third person adventure/action game in my opinion.
    And at least it does not require a quad core comp :D
    I can only recommend it to everyone.
  51. Mar 10, 2013
    Assassins creed does a lot of thing right. The cities are beautiful and they really feel alive. The medieval theme looks and feels really nice. There is quite a load of content in this game with plenty of things to do besides the pretty long main quest. Managing your estate is a fun but shallow distraction. The vehicle sections are pretty fun. The acrobatics looks cool and feels fluidAssassins creed does a lot of thing right. The cities are beautiful and they really feel alive. The medieval theme looks and feels really nice. There is quite a load of content in this game with plenty of things to do besides the pretty long main quest. Managing your estate is a fun but shallow distraction. The vehicle sections are pretty fun. The acrobatics looks cool and feels fluid when everything works. The game feels overall really competent and you get a a nice amount of content for your money.. But sadly it does have some problems. The combat is quite awful and feels static, repetitive and boring. The ridiculous amount of healing items you can carry around also makes it extremely unchallenging and tedious. The climbing and acrobatics in this game works for the most part quite well and it really fun to use. The one-button for everything system in the game is however not flawless and sometimes the game will misinterpret your actions which is never any fun. A long campaign is always nice and this games have one. What is less nice however is that the campaign contains a lot of really boring filler missions that only serve to drag out the game a hour or two. Some other annoyances are bad jumping puzzles, lack of interesting side characters, strange difficulty-curve, terrible stealth-missions, terrible stealth-mechanics, unsatisfying assassinations and lets not forget everything Desmond related. I might sound really negative but i did enjoy my time with the game and i would definitely recommend buying this game for a cheap price if you think the concept sounds interesting. Expand
  52. Aug 22, 2012
    First of all, I absolutely love this game, in fact it is; in my opinion the BEST GAME EVER! If you are thinking about getting this, I highly recommend that you do! You should only rate on the actual game. Best game ever. 10 out of 10.(Rating on the game itself) The PC controls are annoying because it shows you signs.
  53. Feb 27, 2013
    Much better than the first game in my opinion. I loved running around the rooftops of various citites in renessaince Europe! The controls were very smooth, and made all the acrobatics fun to perform. The story was ok, and the characters were also acceptable (cliched but I was not expecting something outstanding anyways). Combat was like in the previous game. I felt it was sometimes justMuch better than the first game in my opinion. I loved running around the rooftops of various citites in renessaince Europe! The controls were very smooth, and made all the acrobatics fun to perform. The story was ok, and the characters were also acceptable (cliched but I was not expecting something outstanding anyways). Combat was like in the previous game. I felt it was sometimes just too easy with instant chain-kills, and moves that kill your opponents immediately. I felt the developers could have made this part much more challenging. The missions were somewhat varied, but not much changed since the first game. Overall I enjoyed ACII. Expand
  54. Aug 30, 2012
    The main story outside the animus is more extended as in the first game. Ezio is a good character. Good storytelling inside the game.

But the DRM is ...
  55. Sep 24, 2012
    [+]Positive Points
    Really great story.
    Rich backdrop.
    Good gameplay mechanics
    [-]Negative Points
    Graphics was a bit of disapointment.
    DRM was **** But after the update no problem with it.
  56. Jan 4, 2013
    The graphics are good, the story is good, everything is good but one thing: the controls. They have frustrated me a lot, especially in tombes and other 'Jumping Puzzle' styled things where they try to help you with a forced camera, but no, this pissed me off greater than it helped me.
  57. Nov 28, 2012
    The only disappointing part of the game is the beginning and the parts when you have to go back to present time. I understand that they had to explain to us what is going on, but still i couldn't wait to just get over with it. Soooo painful. Other than that I really recommend this game.
  58. Jul 2, 2013
    I am amazed at the low user score for this fantastic game. I am a fan of the user scores, but in this case, they really do have it wrong. I think most of the problems with the low user score lie with the hardware (PC) requirements if you don't have an updated computer with a great video card and hard drive, your gameplay will suffer. But with the right hardware, this game is unbelievablyI am amazed at the low user score for this fantastic game. I am a fan of the user scores, but in this case, they really do have it wrong. I think most of the problems with the low user score lie with the hardware (PC) requirements if you don't have an updated computer with a great video card and hard drive, your gameplay will suffer. But with the right hardware, this game is unbelievably interesting! It's the beginning of the story of Ezio Auditore, the assassin whose story later continues with the AC Brotherhood and eventually with AC Revelations. Centered around various Renaissance cities and a private villa, even Leonardo DaVinci has a role! Take your time playing it. I have already played it four times and each time I manage to find a few things that I had not discovered. The entire Assassin's Creed series of games is my favorite of all times. Expand
  59. Jan 24, 2014
    Quite simply put this is an amazing game and certainly more interesting than the first instalment of the series which in itself was pretty incredible. The world is literally HUGE and there is a bare minimum of 45-50 hours of gameplay. I have played it twice now and it works out slightly differently each time so there is definite replay value here. There is an enormous amount to do andQuite simply put this is an amazing game and certainly more interesting than the first instalment of the series which in itself was pretty incredible. The world is literally HUGE and there is a bare minimum of 45-50 hours of gameplay. I have played it twice now and it works out slightly differently each time so there is definite replay value here. There is an enormous amount to do and if you do everything in each city you could probably push your experience out to 60 or 70 hours. What I really enjoyed in this game was the wealth of historical data you can access about Renaissance Italy - so you not only have a fantastic gaming experience but also learn a great deal about the environment in which you play. The only downside to this game is some of the controls especially when doing the puzzle/treasure hunts. Getting Ezio to jump the right way can sometimes be an exercise in frustration and as a result can cause you to take a hell of a long time to complete the mission - however once you do the sense of satisfaction is significant as you feel you have cracked a really difficult problem. Therefore as frustrating as they may be I would not take the easy route and skip them even though if you become desperate you can do so as they don't really affect the storyline.

In short they really pulled out all the stops on this one and if it wasn't for some of the frustrating controls in the puzzle/treasure hunts I would give it a 10. Pick it up you won't be disappointed.
  60. Mar 28, 2014
    While the first Assassin's Creed was a great game, it's successor, Assassin's Creed 2 proves to be a even better title to it's own franchise.

Assassin's Creed 2 serves as the direct sequel to the first game, continuing the storyline of Altair but mostly of his descendant, Ezio Auditore. The story takes place during the Renaissance period of Italy, which feels refreshing away from the

The story takes place during the Renaissance period of Italy, which feels refreshing away from the Holy Land, where sand dunes and plain terrain is the environment most of the time.

Note that Assassin's Creed 2 varies a slight bit from AC1, with a few better improvements, as well as bringing back some of the issues that i had problem with.

Pros (8):

(Primary) + Significant general improvements over AC1.

+ Graphical changes were significant, the game looks much more detailed, lifelike and just more vibrant overall.
    + Even detailed character modelling returns.
    + Repetitive missions are gone! All primary missions, if not most, will always be different. Long gone are the days where doing the same reptitive task leads to the completion of the mission.
    + Storyline is even longer and better. Game no longer ends randomly on a cliffhanger, like some sort of lousy movie film.
    + At least 30ish hours of gameplay. Considered a long duration for a singleplayer story-mode game.
    + No game stability issues, did not crash time during the whole of 28 hours of in-game session.
    + More checkpoints, leading to lesser frustration when dying, crashing, etc.
    + Side missions now serves a function, such as obtaining a cape for collecting a certain amount of feathers.

Cons (2):

- Artificial Intelligence coding STILL feels choppy, but is improved, enemies to retaliate more often and are more aware of their surroundings.
    -Game mechanic seems worse than before. Scaling walls and performing parkours in general, feels choppier and rough.

I highly recommend playing the first game and follow the series on a chronological order. And if you loved the first AC game, you would definitely love this one. Collapse
  61. Feb 18, 2013
    It's what I call EPIC GAME. I enjoyed in every moment of this game, it's an amazing atmosphere. Italy looked very amazing there, so this game even made me to love history and to realsie that history can be fu**ing interesting too.
  62. Mar 18, 2014
    Starting at AC3 and then AC4, I was worried about trying the older ones and running into outdated mechanics that would ruin the gameplay for me. Luckily, that never happened. In fact, the older games taught me maneuvers and other things that AC3 and AC4 apparently expected me to already know. And after playing Edward Kenway, I didn't think I would much care for the oldschool assassins, butStarting at AC3 and then AC4, I was worried about trying the older ones and running into outdated mechanics that would ruin the gameplay for me. Luckily, that never happened. In fact, the older games taught me maneuvers and other things that AC3 and AC4 apparently expected me to already know. And after playing Edward Kenway, I didn't think I would much care for the oldschool assassins, but now I know why Ezio is still the poster assassin boy. He was a badass. Expand
  63. Jul 10, 2013
    Best Assassin's creed to date. Story, the best in any of the games, gameplay 3x better than the first one, lots of weapons, people to talk to can't even be compared to the first one.
  64. Oct 13, 2013
    Technical Issues[10]
    ------------------------------------
    Over All[9.5]
  65. Oct 14, 2013
    Honestly, I absolutely love this game. I've played it to completion nearly half a dozen times, and I'm still not tired of it. The scenery is beautiful, the setting is exquisitely researched and presented, and the characters are compelling. This game improves in every way from the original, from the voice acting to the combat to the RPG elements to the historical characters that you meetHonestly, I absolutely love this game. I've played it to completion nearly half a dozen times, and I'm still not tired of it. The scenery is beautiful, the setting is exquisitely researched and presented, and the characters are compelling. This game improves in every way from the original, from the voice acting to the combat to the RPG elements to the historical characters that you meet and befriend (or kill). It's just a fun game. Expand
  66. Jul 2, 2014
    A lot of the negative reviews are due to the issues with the PC version. Having played it in June 2014, I can say I didnt have any issues except a few minor bugs.

The game itself is great. I got 100% completion in about 50 hours. The gameplay can be repetitive and boring at times, but the storyline keeps things interesting. I couldnt play in long sessions however because the controls were just absolutely awful. I played with a mouse+keyboard initially, but gave up and stopped playing the game. I came back months later and played with an xbox 360 controller in steam. it worked a lot better, but it was still frustrating at times lining jumps up right, etc. Many times I'd jump off a building and he'd go in a totally different direction.

So overall, this is a great game but hampered by agitating controls and repetitive gameplay. It does improve vastly upon the first Creed, and I would recommend it for under $10. Steam has it on sale every now and again for pretty cheap.
  67. Nov 23, 2013
    They took everything that was wrong in AC3 and made it right, unbelievable game play, graphics and content. 10/10. Hands down the best game I've played this year.
  68. Jan 23, 2014
    now i start with saying that i am not a assassins creed fan at all. this is one of the only games i played, and i loved him, the story is exellent, the world is so big with so many things to do and side missions who go far from the main story. if you looking for a game that can give you at leasy 50-70 hours of fun gameplay this is the game for you, and maybe even more then 70 hours,
  69. Jun 16, 2012
    Thoroughly dismal PC port, as someone who briefly played this on console I was really looking forward to getting my hands on it however Ubisoft once again has given us PC gamers the bird. I just don't know where to begin on the shortfalls of this game compared to its console counterparts, whether it's the invasive DRM or the appalling cut scenes where the audio is about 1-3 seconds out of sync.
  70. Aug 9, 2012
    Gorgeous graphics and scenery. Well crafted and fun. Excellent work. Picked it up for a couple bucks on a sale and I have been playing this game for hours on end and I love it so much I will buy every AC version hereafter now. People complaining of DRM stuff are thieves themselves and whiny babies. Pay for the game losers. Those that complain that it's not made for PC are liars asGorgeous graphics and scenery. Well crafted and fun. Excellent work. Picked it up for a couple bucks on a sale and I have been playing this game for hours on end and I love it so much I will buy every AC version hereafter now. People complaining of DRM stuff are thieves themselves and whiny babies. Pay for the game losers. Those that complain that it's not made for PC are liars as well. I am only running an AMD 4800+ dual core cpu with 4gb ram and an nvidia 9800 GT video card and I'm running the game at 1600 X 1050 at high resolution with no problems whatsoever. Expand
  71. Mar 27, 2013
    I have played about 40+ Hrs. so far, and I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying the story and game play. I haven't played the 1st or the 3rd AC yet. So, I didn't quite know what to expect. Anyway, I'll try to sum my opinion up point by point.
    I played this on an i7 3770K with a GTX680 and an Asus VG248QE running Windows 7 Ultimate.
    1st, The graphics are

1st, The graphics are typical for a multiplatform release. (nice but nothing groundbreaking) 2nd, The sound is good, and they managed to pack some atmosphere into this game.
    3rd, There is plenty to do, but it does become a little repetitive after playing many hours.
    4th, The storyline is, for the most part, good. Some parts are a little fluffed up, but you at least want to stay on board to find out what will happen next, and how it will end. 5th, The controls were unintuitive. So, I remapped them, but they still didn't feel quite right. Finally, I opted to use an XBOX360 controller. For me, this is an unfortunate and unnecessary weak spot, because the PC version of a game should work well with a mouse and keyboard. Other than that, the game is fun to play.
    6th, I would've liked to have seen more options to customize the graphics, and maybe the main character as well.
    7th, I didn't experience any technical problems like bugs, glitches, freezing, or crashing. However, this game does require Uplay to run in the background. I bought this on Steam, which means I already have Steam running. So, I don't see the point of needing both to play, but since, I didn't experience any issues during my sessions, I'll leave it at that.
    All in all, this title was worth adding to my collection.
  72. Jan 31, 2012
    This game was ported extremely badly. The keymap FOR AN XBOX CONTROLLER ON THE PC is extremely screwed up. There is no excuse. This is obviously the interface the game was designed for, as the keyboard controls are clumsy. The DRM is laughable. I bought this game on steam. I have to still sign up for a ubiplay account in order to access this game I bought. I can't stand a businessThis game was ported extremely badly. The keymap FOR AN XBOX CONTROLLER ON THE PC is extremely screwed up. There is no excuse. This is obviously the interface the game was designed for, as the keyboard controls are clumsy. The DRM is laughable. I bought this game on steam. I have to still sign up for a ubiplay account in order to access this game I bought. I can't stand a business model that encourages piracy. It's stupid. Also, this game is disgustingly casual. You have to TRY to die. For a game that's pretty much about running away, the enemies are laughable. Why do I CARE that I'm infamous. I can kill the armored axemen with my wristblade. Oh, you wanna fight? That's cute. The enemies often WON'T EVEN TRY TO HIT YOU unless you taunt them. It's silly. That said, the art is fantastic and combined with decent voice acting the game is surprisingly cinematic. This game is a tragedy of an amazing idea executed poorly. They were SO CLOSE to awesome it makes me sad. But Ubisoft dropped the ball on the INVASIVE drm and the terrible port. Also make games difficult my lord I don't feel like I've accomplished anything when with the single weakest weapon in the game I can kill most enemies with pretty much no effort (counter, laugh). Averages as tragically mediocre. Expand
  73. Jun 20, 2013
    The story kept me interested, but the gameplay was not interesting enough to keep me wanting to play more of it, meaning, the controls worked really hard against me, even using a controller, and the camera aswell. Other than that, it sometimes felt the story stretched on a bit too much, it could have been shorter, and so would have been better.
  74. May 4, 2014
    I have played the original AC a couple of years ago, and was wondering lately how the continuation of the series would feel. Well, ACII is a MUCH better game than the original one.
    Firstly, the story is more engrossing, and the missions are much less repetitive than in the original game.
    Secondly, the graphics really shine, even 5 years after the game was released. And thirdly, the game
    Secondly, the graphics really shine, even 5 years after the game was released.
    And thirdly, the game play itself is so much smoother. Ezio plays as a dream, he is not only a skillful assassin, but also a more than decent swords fighter. One important remark: it is highly recommended to play this game on pc using an analog game-pad. It helps a lot, really.
    For the rest: don't hesitate, even after all these years, this still is a real masterpiece.
  75. Jul 26, 2011
    Since crappy always-on DRM was removed, this game has become a timesink for me. Great atmosphere, and always that nagging feeling to get that one more mission done :)
  76. Aug 27, 2012
    OK it sucks that you have to be connected to Ubi to play, but I've not had any technical problems with the game yet and overall it's not a bad game. Combat is unchanged, if not worse than the first Assassin's Creed, so it's still by far the worst combat I've come across in this genre. Free running is stupidly boring and unsatisfying, never mind how little to no skill there is in holdingOK it sucks that you have to be connected to Ubi to play, but I've not had any technical problems with the game yet and overall it's not a bad game. Combat is unchanged, if not worse than the first Assassin's Creed, so it's still by far the worst combat I've come across in this genre. Free running is stupidly boring and unsatisfying, never mind how little to no skill there is in holding down two buttons. However, if you can ignore the pointless complications of the modern day story which confused us all at the end of the first game you'll find an open-world adventure game which unlike the first game, packs the content to be classed as a GTA clone done properly. Side missions are not as repetitive, collectibles are far more rewarding and satisfying to get, let alone more varied. There are more RPG elements but without the unnecessary complications which accompany them. The devolpers haven't made stupid decisions with this game, but they have made it a proper free-roam game with a decent story, good length and side missions and well-designed towns. The graphics aren't anything special even when maxxed out, but they are still pretty good and stand up to inspection. All in all Assassin's Creed II has the credentials of a solid action-adventure free roam game, but unfortunately the gameplay mechanics are archaic and outdated, sometimes even buggy. If you want gameplay and level design consider Arkham Asylum, but if you want an immersive game Assassin's Creed II is better in every way. It's just a shame that it excels in everything but the most important element of a game- the GAMEPLAY. That said though, it's targeted towards a more casual audience who want more of a cinematic experience rather than intense and skillful gameplay as seen in Arkham Asylum. I guess this is more for the passive gamer rather than someone who really appreciates a solid combat system and will analyse every inch of level design. If you are a hardcore gamer chances are you won't enjoy this game very much because it's quite boring to play. A nice break though if you want something which is effortless and almost not even a game. Expand
  77. Oct 14, 2013
    While Ezio is not as compelling a character and Italy a less compelling setting, the game and mechanic is head and shoulders above the first game. Even managing the household to get income is horribly addictive. Highly recommended.
  78. Nov 17, 2011
    The main character doesn't seem as believable as Altair. He wears heavy armor and only have months of training, yet he is supposed to be a infamous assassin. The story overall is not a breathtaking as assassins creed 1 and it seems like Ubisoft spent a week tops adjusting controls to computer. I'm sure it's a great game for PS3 or Xbox, but on PC it's just a pain in the ass.
  79. Apr 26, 2012
    My original review: 4/10 Bought the game on April 19, 2012, expecting most of the issues to be fixed and based on generally positive reviews for the series. I thought it would be a good place to start that's not too far back while still being relatively modern. I can see the appeal of the game immediately: it's an immersive, very beautiful game with a funky UI and great story-telling. I'veMy original review: 4/10 Bought the game on April 19, 2012, expecting most of the issues to be fixed and based on generally positive reviews for the series. I thought it would be a good place to start that's not too far back while still being relatively modern. I can see the appeal of the game immediately: it's an immersive, very beautiful game with a funky UI and great story-telling. I've played it for about 2 hours now. HOWEVER, it gets MASSIVE low points for VERY VERY VERY bad control set-up. I'm not against innovative controls, or controls that work both on the PC and on consoles. Skyrim is a good example of that - you feel that the controls were made to be console-friendly, but they're never inhibiting your game play. This game, however, made controls not only un-intuitive, but also very difficult to understand, having to go through menus to understand which button is the 'Head', the 'Open Hand', the 'Armed Hand', and the 'Feet'. None of this is explained in the game itself. NONE. The color-coding presumably makes it easier for console players to understand, but doesn't work at all for the PC. Do yourself a favor and buy the console version of this title. This is a bad port.

After finishing the game: 8.5/10. You basically have to memorize the different key bindings and get through the first bit to learn the controls. Don't be mislead by my high score - the controls are the single most annoying thing in this game. It's a set of 4 basic controls, which change if you right click the mouse, and then you have to execute sequences of them to do many things... and the game decides that it would be fun to make you do some harder sequences as the game goes on. If you look past that, however, the game is very deep, has multiple meaningful side quests, and is generally a fantastic game. Music is phenomenal. If it's possible, I would recommend you play this with a controller.
  80. Jul 23, 2012
    AC2 has just about everything that the first game lacked. Ubisoft seems to have learned a lot from the many problems AC1 had. Despite issues with the camera changing its angle at the most inopportune time, resulting in several keyboard-smashing moments, the controls, combat and gameplay are infinitely more enjoyable than the first game. Ezio is a compelling character who we really get toAC2 has just about everything that the first game lacked. Ubisoft seems to have learned a lot from the many problems AC1 had. Despite issues with the camera changing its angle at the most inopportune time, resulting in several keyboard-smashing moments, the controls, combat and gameplay are infinitely more enjoyable than the first game. Ezio is a compelling character who we really get to know over the course of the game. Best of all, I was always kept wanting to see what would happen next in the story. The variety of missions keeps things interesting, and the soundtrack is simply incredible- one of the best in any game I've played. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a good story with substance and mystery. Expand
  81. Mar 26, 2014
    Beautiful. I love it. Magnificent gameplay. Wonderful story. I see that the developers have suceeded to take Assassin's Creed to a new level. Fantastic.
  82. Vex
    Jul 27, 2013
    A truly marvelous game that recreates the 15th century Italy down to the finest detail. The world feels alive and immersive and it's hard not to completely get sucked into it. Running on the rooftops of Florence and Venice is an unforgettable experience.

I honestly couldn't find any major flaws with this game, perhaps except for the fact that the first few memories really are a bit boring and slow to pick up, but other than that, the game is really awesome.
  83. Jul 10, 2012
    To you all you crybabies out there complaining about the controls. GET. A. CONTROLLER. The game plays beautifully on PC with a controller. You have to live with the fact that some games were not meant for the mouse. This is one of them. Anyways GREAT improvement from the first one. Wonderful storytelling and the introduction of cut scenes makes it all the better. Played this gameTo you all you crybabies out there complaining about the controls. GET. A. CONTROLLER. The game plays beautifully on PC with a controller. You have to live with the fact that some games were not meant for the mouse. This is one of them. Anyways GREAT improvement from the first one. Wonderful storytelling and the introduction of cut scenes makes it all the better. Played this game immediately after finishing the first one and what a difference! So much fun and a delight for history buffs out there. Expand
  84. Nov 3, 2012
    First of all I'd like to say that I'm not going to rate the terrible-at-that-time DRM system in this review, but stick to the game itself instead. Assassin's Creed 2 expands on all the aspects of the original - the cities are bigger, the activities are more varied, you've got WAY more gadgets, the game itself is longer and the plot now spans over thirty years. The storyline puts us in theFirst of all I'd like to say that I'm not going to rate the terrible-at-that-time DRM system in this review, but stick to the game itself instead. Assassin's Creed 2 expands on all the aspects of the original - the cities are bigger, the activities are more varied, you've got WAY more gadgets, the game itself is longer and the plot now spans over thirty years. The storyline puts us in the feet of Ezio Auditore - a young Florentine noble who loses his family shortly into the game. On our course for revenge we meet lots of important historical figures of that era (and kill some of them) and explore beautifully reconstructed cities of Florence, Venice and a couple of smaller towns. Collectible hunting has become more reasonable, and you should definitely check the Glyphs - collecting all of them will reveal quite a shocking "The Truth" video, which plays an important role in the franchise's mythology. (or you can just watch it on youtube, why) The only thing that game drops the bar at is the graphics. They're noticeably worse than in the original, and that's somewhat of a letdown. All in all, Assassin's Creed 2 is a well-made game, which retains the original's flaws, like the somewhat dull and easy combat system and drops of pace - I've played it for several weeks and then had to take a break from it for almost a year. Expand
  85. Jan 16, 2013
    I have to start off by saying that I never had any trouble with stability or DRM, so I'm not taking off points for that. Assassin's Creed II, as a game, is simply amazing. This game has exactly what you want in a sequel: continued solid story, improved game mechanics, improved graphics, and more content. AC II continues Desmond's story from the first game, while introducing a new andI have to start off by saying that I never had any trouble with stability or DRM, so I'm not taking off points for that. Assassin's Creed II, as a game, is simply amazing. This game has exactly what you want in a sequel: continued solid story, improved game mechanics, improved graphics, and more content. AC II continues Desmond's story from the first game, while introducing a new and likable protagonist, Ezio. The new settling of Renaissance Italy is both fresh and exciting, while preserving and improving on the extensive open world gameplay of its predecessor. It also introduces more sophisticated characters which you actually begin to care about, unlike the dull characters of the first game. Gameplay-wise, AC II skillfully introduces enough new mechanics and improvements to keep it fresh, while not feeling too different: you have a greater variety of weapons, including (thankfully!) long-range weapons; you can now use money to buy weapons and armor on your own schedule, instead of waiting around for mission rewards; you can hire mercenaries, thieves, and prostitutes to assist you in your missions; and plenty of other interesting things. While AC II isn't perfect, I think that it is a shining example of what a good sequel should be. Expand
  86. Jul 23, 2012
    Charles Dickens said it best:

Charles Dickens said it best:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

To summarise, this game is a juicy T-Bone steak.....With a sticky cat poo on top! Good game with a broken DRM system (Broken save sync). System lock every time i played, and missing game save progress wore me down until i was utterly sick of replaying what started out as a enjoyable game with good story line.

It doesnt matter how good the steak is. Its impossible for the cat poo not to ruin what should have been a gaming feast.
  87. Nov 10, 2013
    In a couple ways this was better than the first AC. I liked the additional combat mechanics, the graphics seemed like they were a notch higher, there wasn't as much time out of the animus and it seemed less repetitive, better locations. I started out very excited, especially after the strong finish of the first one. I jumped right into this one. About 2/3 the way through though, IIn a couple ways this was better than the first AC. I liked the additional combat mechanics, the graphics seemed like they were a notch higher, there wasn't as much time out of the animus and it seemed less repetitive, better locations. I started out very excited, especially after the strong finish of the first one. I jumped right into this one. About 2/3 the way through though, I encountered the timed platforming challenges. Make it through a platforming puzzle before the gate closes. Usually fun, and challenging. Fighting with the controls and the fixed control camera, is not fun. The combat started getting more heavy, as you'd expect and this issue started to rear it's ugly head more, as my timing was confounded by a cinematic swing that ended up behind a bush, tree or NPC. I can only assume this is a terrible PC port. I'm guessing the console folks had better control of the camera. Had to take quite a few points off, because I had to quit the game a couple times out of frustration, and started becoming eager for the end of the game. That being said, the game did finish off strongly, with an intriguing addition to the story line for the series. Expand
  88. Aug 5, 2012
    Superior to the original, picturesque, and has an intriguing story, but is inaccessible through the weird memory system and combat is as easy as using the toilet
  89. Aug 13, 2012
    Assassin's Creed 2 on PC haves stunning graphics, and It stands with It's positives, but the problematic controls and the disappointing DRM just make the PC version even worse than console version. Still, PC version isn't bad, and It's fun for a while. 78 out of 100.
  90. Oct 6, 2012
    This game is very cool. Awsome graphics, very good story ( although you won't understand many things if you didn't play the first one), nice and stealthly gameplay and many missions. It is very good
  91. Dec 13, 2012
    Would've been great if they cut down on the recycling of areas and timeline leaps. More of Desmond and more present day non-combat storytelling would've helped to break things up. Overall though it's a lot better than the original. Requiescat in pace.
  92. May 7, 2013
    Awesome Game, beautiful artwork and game design but holy crap the controls are just rock bottom.
    It would be a 9 out of 10 if it wasn't for the bad controls.
  93. Jan 29, 2013
    I like this game, but the wooden voice acting, alien character models and lacluster story (apart from the setup) weigh this game down. Saving issues with UPlay don't help at all, and the simple length of this game from simple quests without much variation in between could be counted as vast improvents over the original game, but are still annoying. It's a good game, but I never felt likeI like this game, but the wooden voice acting, alien character models and lacluster story (apart from the setup) weigh this game down. Saving issues with UPlay don't help at all, and the simple length of this game from simple quests without much variation in between could be counted as vast improvents over the original game, but are still annoying. It's a good game, but I never felt like the gameplay style aided the narrative significantly. Why tell us to sneak past when we've no way of doing so? All in all, it's fun, but only for the first few hours. Expand
  94. Mar 17, 2013
    Even today, this remains one of the best assassin's creed games ever, I love this game, and everything about it. The only thing that disappoints me is the controls, I have played AC3 on PC, and loved the controls, I hoped that the controls on this game would be the same, if not at least similar. However, these were completely different, and so awkward, it took me a good 10 minutes or soEven today, this remains one of the best assassin's creed games ever, I love this game, and everything about it. The only thing that disappoints me is the controls, I have played AC3 on PC, and loved the controls, I hoped that the controls on this game would be the same, if not at least similar. However, these were completely different, and so awkward, it took me a good 10 minutes or so to fix the stupid thing (and it still wasn't perfect). I have had NO COMPLAINTS with the Uplay DRM, I really don't see what the trouble is, my only issue is the controls, otherwise it is an incredible game! Thats why I give it a 7 and not an 8 or 9. Expand
  95. Feb 28, 2013
    Incredible evolution from the first to the second game.
  96. Jul 12, 2013
    Assassin's creed 1 suffered from repetitive gameplay and a bit weak story but this one improved in every way the graphics are amazing and the cities are full of life the story as well is so amazing and will keep you interested till the end the gameplay here is amazing with tons of weapons to choose and you'll end up buying new weapons just to see its finishing moves in the end anAssassin's creed 1 suffered from repetitive gameplay and a bit weak story but this one improved in every way the graphics are amazing and the cities are full of life the story as well is so amazing and will keep you interested till the end the gameplay here is amazing with tons of weapons to choose and you'll end up buying new weapons just to see its finishing moves in the end an excellent improvement on the first part and definitely one of the best game made by ubisoft Expand
  97. Jul 1, 2013
    Though enjoyable for a while, Assassin's Creed 2 prolongs its main story for way too long. The game mechanics really get repetitive and offer little more during the main story. At the end of the game you are forced to seek out collectables to advance in the main story, and I don't even want to think about playing all the side missions.

Ezio is a great character and the gameplay is

Ezio is a great character and the gameplay is somewhat enjoyable and the setting nice to look at, for some time. Should the main story take several hours less to complete and expand on its working gameplay mechanics, Assassin's Creed 2 doesn't really inspire me to check out any of the other games.

I don't see the charm in the underlining scifi story with Desmond and Animus. Most of the time it only distracts you from the characters and environments you actually care about and even restricts the openness of the game: you cannot enter this area because Ezio doesn't remember this area or Ezio had these collectables when this memory occured. When the scifi story is actually developed, it is rushed and feels like a forced cliffhanger so that the Assassin's Creed games have some continuity. I decided not to care about the scifi story and enjoy assassinating people as Ezio. If only it could have ended sooner (and had a better ending, for that matter).
  98. Apr 26, 2013
    That game is an upgrade from the first. Now you can swim, The fights are more complex and fluid.
    Ezio is so much charismatic, the ambient of Italian Renaissance are SO amazing.
  99. May 13, 2013
    Simply one of the best games I have ever played. Great, engaging storyline, superb combat and gameplay, witty dialogues and a charismatic lead. You can only love the great assassin Ezio Auditore. His story brings evokes great emotions in the player and that is a highlight of a well made game.
  100. Aug 3, 2013
    There is no other game that deserves being called "Favorite". Every one of us knows that the storyline was excellent due to the same crative director that brought us Prince of Persia, and the new and more charming main charachter. The soundtrack of the game was excellent and made me feel intro the Story which was interesting and full of conspiracy's. The game does not make us kill aThere is no other game that deserves being called "Favorite". Every one of us knows that the storyline was excellent due to the same crative director that brought us Prince of Persia, and the new and more charming main charachter. The soundtrack of the game was excellent and made me feel intro the Story which was interesting and full of conspiracy's. The game does not make us kill a "random guy" we have as target's real people of the Italian Renaissance.
    A true Masterpiece.
  101. Mar 15, 2012

1. Assassin’s Creed II is a gem, a truly masterpiece also on PC. Developing a new economic system, and bringing more attention to combats, notoriety and context-script, Ubisoft achieves an awesome and epic experience. This sequel is far better than the first one.
  2. The PC version of last year's beautiful action adventure is lots of fun, but you'll have to overcome its online-only copy protection and high price point.
  3. Two years later, Assassin's Creed tries again to make real those promises from Ubisoft, and prove itself as a better game than it was. The truth is that, despite the Renaissance setting, the vivid locations and the historical landmarks, the new features added don't really improve the sequel: the same repetitive mechanics remain, as the flawed enemy AI, a rough combat system and moments of frustration coming from issues with the camera and the control response in the platform sections. Assassin's Creed II it's still a good game but far from the masterpiece Ubisoft has been promising.