6.1

1. Dec 9, 2012
    Sure, the third AC is mostly overhyped and overpraised, especially on the big videogame portals, but it's definitely NOT a dud. The animus-part story is miles better, more complex and more layered than the rather dull wanderings of Altair or the cheesy, cartoonish escapades of Ezio. Yes, Desmond is a stupid character but I rather like the outside-animus sci-fi story, although the brief Desmond gameplay stuff itself is just terrible. It's almost if instead of putting some real effort in making the Desmond parts better Ubi bosses said: "Folks don't like Desmond so let's make his part as short and simple as is necessary for the overall story." Another improvements over the previous installments - minigames are finally fun, especially the naval battles, which are fantastic, and the hunting, which is very acceptable. And almost all the side characters are very likeable and well dubbed (especially Haytham). Oh and I also LOVE the way this game handles difficulty - the basic campaign is so easy a 5 year old could cakewalk it while watching cartoons but most optional objectives can be VERY difficult. So you CAN finish the game in under 20 hours (10 if you skip the cinematics) but if you like some extra challenge, you can grow old and crazy trying to do the 100% sync.
    *********
    Now to the not so good things about AC3. The graphics is a mixed bag. The cities are great, as usual, and the naval part is simply phenomenal. But although the Frontier has it's shining moments, it's marred by really bad textures, pop-ups and overall inescapable feeling that the game has been made primarily for 8 years old console hardware. It just shows. Even the first Crysis is still miles ahead when it comes to forest environments. Of course Ubi is not to blame here - Microsoft and Sony are.
    *********
    And now for the cons. First and foremost - Connor. Everything that's been said about him is true. He is humouress, dull, moody, annoying and interacts with NPCs like a computer trying to pass the Turing test. It's also disappointing you can't go parkouring over the rooftops anymore because the streets are too wide and there are guards on every second roof. But the biggest disappointment is the way the whole game is put together. As I said, the main story itself is fun and interesting, but the gameplay is...well, almost boring. It's usually about walking from point A to point B and watching a cutscene. And, if you're lucky, the game let's you press a button in a critical moment. More often than not if feels like an interactive movie than an actual game. And for the side missions and optional activities the exact opposite is true. Improving your homestead, hunting, crafting, trading - all of it is quite fun but completely pointless and useless. Yes you can skin animals and craft weapons and sell your produce but what for? There's almost no difference between the available weapons, you'll massacre a redcoat regiment with the basic sword just as easily as with the ultimate endgame model. There's also NO gameplay difference between the available outfits, except they look different. So even though you can spend countless hours collecting feathers and improving your homestead and whatnot all you get is a stupid T-shirt, basically. Furthermore you can't actually buy anything useful for the money you make from craftin and trading, maybe except a map of chests containing - more money. "But you can do all these things just for the enjoyment of seeing your homestead grow and prosper or for the fun of the hunt," I hear some of you objecting. But for me, in an action adventure game like this, all these side activities just feel pointless. I enjoy building my town economy in Settlers or SimCity or Colonization as much as the other guy but those games are ABOUT building and trading. AC3 is about crushing the Templars and how does crafting barrels and skinning rabbits help you with that?
    *******
    So the verdict - AC3 definitely feels epic and expensive. It exudes the money and expertise and astounding artistic talent that went into making it. But it also feels like the fantastically talented team of writers, artists, architects, historians and programmers was steered by a very poor lead designer. Despite all of that, it's still a towering achievement in the vast sea of stupidity, shallowness, cheesiness and desperate run-of-the-millness that's the current AAA videogame market.
  2. Dec 1, 2012
    The 3rd work that destroyed wonderful series. From very troublesome craft systems, poor subordinates, and anything, stealth is used well and it has not become an invigorating game. There are a stealth game of the company and a big difference.
  3. Dec 9, 2012
    Terrible consolitis. A mash up of all the game mechanics from previous AC games, makes the journey a confusing chore - disappointing because the story is very exciting... albeit with a rather flaccid ending.
  4. Jun 29, 2013
    Worth Assassin's Creed game ever!
    Boring story boring characters boring game world...
    biggest disappointment in 2012 for me
    You shouldn't spend your money and time on it.
  5. Dec 1, 2012
    AC3 is a good and solid game, but doesn't feel quite right in the series. I felt that the game relied too much on "chase this guy and kill him" or "fight these 20 guys to kill this one guy" instead of actually using your head and sneaking in and assassinating somebody. Several of your assassination missions you actually have to sneak in past tons of guards, where if you get discovered it's an instant lose condition, and then, once you close on your target it goes to cutscene where you are discovered and have to fight all those guards anyway. The graphics were good, but I can't say the same for the new facial animation tech Ubisoft has been bragging about. It just wasn't that good, and even in cutscenes characters mouths were often not synched with the audio. The cities are small and the buildings are too spaced out to make rooftop jumping (a staple of the series and part of why the series is so much fun) not practical in most cases. I actually barely used to rooftops at all, as it was often faster and easier to use the streets. The hunting mechanic was ok, but nothing I felt like spending a lot of time with. The crafting mechanic was pointless except for the pouch upgrades and special weapons, and those are not even really necessary. The UI for the crafting was awful, annoying to navigate, and you couldn't craft more than one of any particular item at a time, which was ok for some items, but annoying for items you use a lot like glass bottles, sewing threads, etc, but since there is never a point in the game where you HAVE to craft anything, and the rewards are so insignificant there's really no reason to craft anything, the bad crafting doesn't really take away from the gameplay itself. Same goes for the trading. Sending trade convoys takes a long time, they often come under attack in the middle of the very large frontier far enough away from any fast travel points that there is no way you can get there in time to save the convoy, and even if it makes it you don't really make enough money off it to make it worth the hassle. One thing I missed that AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelations did very well was the platforming "dungeons", those were a lot of fun and really gave you a chance to play with the free-running aspect of the game. These are almost completely absent in AC3, and the few platforming missions there are are not very good and don't keep you on the edge of your seat like in previous games. Also, the game is glitchy. Daily while I was playing it killed my computer, locked it up so not even a "ctrl-alt-del" worked and I had to to a hard shut down. Luckily the game usually autosaves often enough that you start back close to where it died. Now, I spent a lot of time complaining, now I'll tell of the good parts. The wilderness is large, think the Kingdom from the first AC game and double it. The tree climbing mechanic is fun, especially in swampier areas. Too bad more of the game doesn't take place in the frontier, because you have a lot more stealth options in the trees than you do in colonial towns. I REALLY enjoyed the naval battles. I would buy a DLC that just had a lot more of the naval warfare missions. The waves look amazing, the battles are epic, and it's just a lot of fun. The Desmond storyline gets a lot more play than any other AC game, and wraps up nicely. The way they did the Desmond missions in this game makes me want even more for them to make a modern-day AC game. I like the combat a lot, and enjoyed the big battles, I just wish it would let me stealth-kill my big targets more often. It's an AC game, it plays like an AC game, expect nothing more. One last thing, Connor is a good character, though he is a bit bland. He's supposed to be bland though, an Iroquois warrior is not going to be as flashy or flamboyant as an Italian nobleman like Ezio. I liked Connor, though I actually thought his father Haytham would be a better main character. A little more Ezio-like flair and attitude. All in all, I really enjoyed the game though some aspects were frustrating. I recommend this if you are a fan of the series, but not if you are looking for anything really new and exciting, as all of the new things were annoying except for the naval combat. Expand
  6. Nov 28, 2012
    THE BEST assassin's creed game to date... AWESOME graphics great story and magnificent game play!
    IT is the best game i have played since Skyrim... The polished combat system, the new hunting play along with the naval missions has given Assassin's Creed a really unique look in a awesome way... and not to mention the DX11 graphics is mind blowing! 10/10 goes to UBI!
  7. Jan 19, 2013
    let me tell you something assassin creed 3 is an amazing game its batter from all the games in the frenchise (Except from assassin creed 2) its is amazing as assassin creed 2.the story is great and the battles are very satisfing.the multiplayer isnt the best multiplayer ever. this is the very same multiplayer that was in brotherhood and in ravelation.its ok but not so fun.but the assassin creed frenchise was never the multiplayer so i will give it 10/10 Expand
  8. Jun 26, 2013
    I loved AC, big cities with tall buildings, difficult to reach watchtowers, difficult and stimulant puzzles, mazes, etc. Well, this game disappointed me a lot, i thing it's the worst AC i played, the only good thing i see are the graphics
  9. Nov 21, 2012
    For me this is the best Assassin's Creed since the first game. Yes it's simple regarding combat and so on, but the story and game's world is so enrapturing I can't take my hands of it.
  10. Jan 27, 2013
    A game that just doesn't stand up to the hype. Assassin's Creed 3 is slow to start up and drags its tail throughout the rest of the game. The music is highly unremarkable, notably so during segments between missions, where you are supposed to look for the bits and bobbles scattered around (feathers and viewpoints, mostly) as no music plays at all. The dead silence dulls the game and gives it a very tedious feel. Connor is incredibly bland as a character. His motives are very unclear, and his lack of characterization might as well place him as a silent protagonist. A definite step down from the wonderful Ezio (in 2 and Brotherhood).
    The only thing that really saves AC3 is its attention to detail, as it has thousands of location-specific animations and beautiful scenery (as long as you aren't in the underground tunnels, where quite a bit of pixelization and color messups reside).
    Would not recommend. If you want the best game in the series, play Assassin's Creed 2.
  11. Mar 19, 2013
    I've played every AC, and this is by far the worst AC of them all. The Desmond story is OK, I actually enjoyed playing a bit more as him. However, the Connor story just sucked. Connor is an idiot who keeps making stupid decisions while he actually thinks he's doing it right. The American Civil War looked like an exciting setting, but it failed, a lot. 1/3rd of your time you will be in a forest called Frontier, a depleted forest. I was missing the awesomeness of Florence, Rome, Istanbul, Venice, Acre, etc etc already as soon as I entered this area. I don't want to spoil the story for you, but it ends with a major cliff hanger. All that comes with glitches and bugs, the useal side missions that are boring and repetative and the fact they got rid of some nice weapons and techniques (in both climbing & fighting) from previous AC's. Expand
  12. Aug 30, 2013
    When i played just 5 hours of this game i gave it a 9. I made a terrible mistake, this game is not that good. It has indeed a good story, and the Naval missions are the Jewel of the Crown. But the game is broken, the parkour elements are Broken, the Battles are way too simple, different weapons means nothing in this game. The best thing of the game, the naval missions, are so few in the story mode, that you can count in one hand's fingers. I am relieved that Blackflag's focus is on Piracy, i really hope they learn from their mistakes, Assassin's Creed is an awesome franchise. Expand
  13. Mar 15, 2013
    Boring interminable unskippable cutscenes. One of the weakest stealth engines ever made (look me in the eyes and tell me the stealth aspects compare to Thief, Dishonored, Metal Gear, etc.). Combat is ok, but really it's just a less-fun ripoff of the Arkham City/Asyum melee engine.
    But here's the real problem: NO JUMP BUTTON. How do you make a platform game without a jump button? From
    the hype, I was hoping for a third-person Mirror's Edge, but all you do is hold down "run" and point the analog stick and the game plays itself. It's like a barely interactive cutscene. Imagine if you were playing an FPS where you just held down a "safety off" button and the guns all fired automatically whenever an enemy wandered into the crosshairs. Doesn't sound fun, does it? Neither is this. Expand
  14. Dec 3, 2012
    a good game but not great
    and i really like connor story but totally dislike desmond in this series
    I think in as2 series everything was perfect and i like ezio over connor as a real assasin
    but still its overall a good gaming experience...
  15. Jan 12, 2013
    Simply put, this game is amazing. It's visually stunning, and a lot of fun to play, most of the time. All the glitches are what drags it down to a 3/10 for me. When you spend 4-5 hours doing the same mission over and over again due to a glitch that they won't patch. They don't deserve your money.
  16. Nov 23, 2012
    This game is not bad, but I'm already tired of the same cities in the game. Graphics of the game is even worse than in the second part. I think that this game is ported from the PS Vita.
  17. May 24, 2013
    This isn't really as good as the other ones, because of the main character and the story, but the inovations that they added were good for the most part. Not as good as the otheres but still fun and DAT multiplayer is pretty damn good.
  18. Nov 23, 2012
    if you are not an assassins creed fan boy I think this game want change your mind
    but you have do give credit to the game for the great effort and the big story behind it.
    the graphics are not bad so is the music and the little details are great.
    i think if you liked Previous assassins creed you will enjoy this one the most .
  19. Feb 16, 2013
    This is a pretty good game. It has some insane quality smoother and much more improved physics with more detailed combat than previous games. The game has a very cinematic feel to it, but the inconsistency is confusing along with the very slow progression.
  20. Nov 20, 2012
    Ac3 is probably the most in depth chapter yet in the series. The game was very intuitive and challenging.
    There were many changes to the dynamics of the game, making money and so forth. Money is harder to earn and crafting is kind of a pain. One of the missions to retain two main crafters is bugged so you can't hire them. The only thing you can really do is hunt and skin and sell. They
    did a great job on the huge areas of movement and the ship battles are spectacular and exciting! Hopefully they will stay on this path and the next chapter will be just as exciting to play. By the way it's about 4 days or so to complete at 8 hours a day so it's worth the purchase!! Expand
  21. Nov 23, 2012
    Assassins Creed 3 is more the odd man out.. It adds alot of unique gameplay elements that would be great if it all worked out properly. But the end its a shaky but great game thats worth a shot if your an Assassin Creed fan. [Keep in mind I am reviewing with the current update 1.01 - some things maybe fixed if your reading it later down the line]

Story: [6]
    The story has quite a few
    twists into the plot, and a few good moments. Yet in the end it doesn't pack the punch of the first 3. Game World: [6]
    Now saddest part of Assassin's Creed 3 is the game world. The problem with era they are recreating is majority of the buildings during that era looked pretty much alike. So now you end up facing a very repetitive world also. Going to eagle view points essentially requires the same method each and every time Unlike Constantinople where quite a few eagle points posed various challenges to get to. Now there is a very tiny variation in all of them But they did add quite a few unique methods of traveling through houses and sliding through low lying obstacles. Yet it once you get into the game you will soon notice how very few those opportunities their are. Also how majority of the time it doesn't seem to work when you need it to. Gameplay: [9]
    Now gameplay has not really shifted from the core principles of Assassin creed. The same style attack block counter is still there. As well as a few added weapon styles. The fighting as smooth as ever and quite a bit more interactive. They made achievement and special item hunting fundamentally a lot easier. Though their are still some secret treasures hidden away that are not revealed. Also they have quite a few varied side missions.

So what exactly changed? Gone are the ways of the mercenaries brother girls and roaming groups of camouflage. Though the last one is sort o replaced with wagons of hay that move around the map. But to be fair people rarely used them anyway. You also do not have your assortment of grenades though you do get smoke bomb still and trip mine. Also your throwing knives and cross bow is replaced with a rope dart and bow and arrow. Personally most of the changes are quite well done. Also there are no more "tutorial mini levels. The tutorials are stream lined in some part into the game.
    Now the sad part is, only some of what you need to do is explained. For example one optional mission was ';Throw the Red coats into the water" - now it doesn't tell you how to do that. So if you never played an Assassin's Creed game before, your basically screwed. If you did, your also possibly screwed. You cannot simply make them fall inside. You must use the push evade to do so, which the game fails to tell you so. This is just one of many things it doesn't wish to explain.

Now a lot of "filler" missions are available. Some are quite fun, some make you want to rip your hair out. The new lock picking mechanic they introduced is one of those hair ripping moments to button ashing. Randomly twist and turn then button mash and repeat. They should have followed the skyrim or splinter cell model of lock picking. As for the board games, they are probably the best board games I have played that came packaged with a game. Classical games played during the era, that are really get you thinking. Which I personally applaud was a great addition to add. The biggest and probably the best feature they added was Naval Battles. The naval battles are truely phenominal. Infact its better then most naval battle games. You have control of your sails, movements and gun fire. It really makes you feel like a captain on the open seas.

City creation is one interesting feature added to the game. Where you get to manage your own little town and recruit a cast of characters to help you craft various items Now you can't decide who you want to choose, but each one does have a back story involved, with various relations with each other. Yet at this point it becomes a bit to obvious its just a port and not made for PC. As the crafting and trading menu's force you to go a very round about way to choose your items. So they didn't bother creating a more PC friendly UI. But its decent enough to get it to work.

Another interesting feature is hunting. You can track and hunt various animals for various parts. These parts can later be used to craft various items to be sold. Though surprisingly enough the value of the pelts are not related to the difficulty in catching it. Sound: [8]
    The music and environmental sound was top notch. The voice acting was a mix, some of the voices were done phenomenally. The others feel as if the person was just woken up in the middle of the night and told to read the lines. Final Synopsis.
    Assassin's Creed III adds a lot of great elements to the genre. Yet the game feels incomplete and rushed.If your an Assassin's Creed fan, you will more then likely enjoy it. If your just starting, this may not be the place to do so.
  22. Nov 21, 2012
    My Score: 3.0/10 Pros: -Cinematics -Graphics are **** amazing (IF you have a PC with good hardware) Cons: -Combat is too simplistic and not fluid. -Glitches and bugs throughout EVERY aspect of the game -Terrible AI -Boring gameplay and almost entirely automatic Bethesda's Dishonored makes Ubisoft and their team look like fools. Assassin's Creed III is one of the more disappointing games to be released this year. Don't fool yourself by reading the review by IGN, BECAUSE Ubisoft paid for that review. I'm sure over the next couple of weeks I will have to listen to all the simple minded **** who bought the game and are too afraid to admit how stagnant the series has become. The game emphasizes cinematics with a cutscene for every 5 gameplay minutes, which seems to serve as Ubisoft's effort to distract the player from the slow, simple, and glitchy gameplay. Marketing will fool the majority of the tools, hopefully not you, but this game is a failure. If you want to play it then pirate it so you can save your money for bourbon. Expand
  23. Nov 21, 2012
    This game has turned into call of duty and their just churning out new ones each year, wait till this goes on sale for $20 or something, I do not know what I was thinking when I bought this....
  24. Nov 21, 2012
    I don't know how many times I have failed a mission because I didn't know what to do and only found out after failing that mission! The lock picking "mini game" simply does not work, check YouTube to see what others are saying about that! Way too many cut scenes! Combat is horribly simple and repetitive! This is a lot like the first Assassins Creed but prettier and easier for the most part, when it works! Expand
  25. Nov 21, 2012
    This is one of these games that could've been so insanely amazing because of it's insane quality. Instead it falls flat because of game design errors and a story not really suited for a "open world/free roaming"-game. So, what is good about AC III? The music is the best in the series, the score really adds a whole new level of cinematic feeling. The world is so huge and detailed it really makes everything feel like a real world. The art design is also amazing, making the houses, the characters and cities come alive like never before. The quality of the voice acting is very varied, with some of the best and worst voice acting ever heard in a game (the voice actor of Haytham Kenway is doing an amazing job while whoever voice acts Braddock does one of the worst and most overacted voice actings ever done). Also the PC-port is really good. The controls work well and the graphics are well optimized. So what is bad? Basically everything that has to do with the game design. The choices made make this, what could've been an amazing open world game like Red Dead Redemption, a linear "Call of Duty-style" game - with about every mission being linear with some cutscene cinematics that totally breaks the immersion of being in a living world. The combat could also have been amazing, if it weren't for the broken balance. You can EASILY kill up to 40-50 enemies at the same time without being hurt at all (haven't had the chance to meet more enemies at the same time). Not to mention the extreme curvature of difficulty levels. One mission can be dead easy (kill 100 enemies and murder some random bloke that you don't know why you are killing) while the next one is some kind of sneak mission, where when you are seen, you have to restart from the start of the mission. However, the animations are brilliant, probably some of the best combat animations I've seen in a game up to this date, the controls work great on a keyboard and the weapons are all interesting. Too bad the game designer destroyed both the combat and the immersion of the missions. So what about the plot? Is it good? Well, the plot is all just very jumpy. The "jumpiness" does not add any depth (such as seen in movies like Donnie Darko) and just destroys the immersion even more. The whole animus thing just feels stupid (I think it was better made in Assassin's Creed II, where the immersion was pretty good) and the twists and turns are all very cliché and predictable. Basically I think the story harms the game more than it helps it. So, instead of having an awesome "open world"-esque game (such as AC II) we are left with a jumpy, linear piece of garbage (that overuses cutscenes like never before - making this feel like a linear movie more than a game) only made for total newbs of PC-gaming. Why not add difficulty levels?? And then there are the minor flaws. The game is very buggy compared to the earlier games. The story is very predictable. The player is thrown between indoors, outdoors, animus and real world. In all these 4 different kinds of places different rules apply. You can only walk indoors (which once again removes immersion - why suddenly can't I jump, run or w/e). The UI is filled with strange popups (mission popups, Uplay popups, **** achievement popups that I don't care about at all and worst of all mail popups - why do an indian guy way back in time have access to mail??). All in all this game has amazing music, amazing voice actors, amazing combat animations, an amazing world with amazing art design but on the downside really bad game design, an UI that removes immersion, only easy difficulty with a strange difficulty curve and a strange, cliché and jumpy plot. Expand
  26. Nov 21, 2012
    This is a masterpiece and a new era of gaming... I've been gaming my whole life and I'm not quite into graphics usually, I want a decent gameplay and some combat sistems, but this game just blew me away. I've been playing the whole AC seriers amongst others. I am highly impressed and this is a game that you should buy. Hats down Ubisoft
  27. Nov 21, 2012
    This game is awesome :P I really enjoy myself during my game-play. Although there are some bugs or glitches but they don't effect my game experiences. I believe assassin's creed 3 is worth a 10 score
  28. Nov 22, 2012
    Excellent game. Great graphics and gameplay. Enjoying everything about it right now. I am reading few users complaining about glitches or game not being designed the way they wanted. So far in 5hr gameplay I haven't noticed any issue and am totally happy with the game.
  29. Nov 22, 2012
    Entirely personal impression. I'm not going to argue about change in game mood, or how Connor is a different character than Ezio, I don't give a rat's ass about those.
    Cons: Blinding lights whenever scene changes. Character distortion whenever in conversation. I fell through invisible hole 3 times in the first hour of gameplay. PRESS THE E BUTTON TO
    SKIP CUTSCENE hovering over freaking boggles my mind. HUD barely customizable, Looting has 1 second lag that delays my movement Camera during combat spinning wildly Melee is ok, but shooting mechanic is questionable But MOST IMPORTANTLY, control port is **** as hell. Everything is E!!! Riding horse and getting off horse has different key binding. Regular running is gone, replaced with jump. Because of that, speed difference between walking and sprinting gives me eye strains. Why is shooting button all of sudden changed to Q? Since when in the series? What does SHIFT button do?

Pros: Everything else.

Overall, the game itself is solid, that was never an issue. BUT PC port is pure horse dung. Graphics aside, neglecting control customization for keyboard is pure laziness and arrogance in Ubisoft's part. Even counting the keys usable AC3 is absolutely inferior than even AC2 which tells that the devs either lost interest or became arrogant as **** towards PC market. SCORE: 8/10

P.S. Just look at what PC guys in US gets for their special edition. A pdf file and soundtracks? Give me a break.
  30. Nov 27, 2012
    I hands down love this game. I really think the ending could have been a little more climactic, but it was satisfying all the same. The graphics and in depth characters to the game are additions that are unique to this sequel to the series. There are flaws and strengths to Connor that I did not find in Ezio or Altair in the preceding games. The game is ten dollars less than most new releases if you buy it digitally, and, in my opinion, is worth every penny. In the storyline alone, I got a good twenty hours out of it, and I still have a lot more content to complete. The game sparks emotions with many of the events that occur along the story. It's a fun ride throughout and there is such a variety of gameplay that will make you never want to put it down until you beat it. Expand
  31. Nov 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After watching the trailers for this game, it looked incredibly promising. However, Assassin's Creed 3 has many fatal flaws that let it down.
    Although there have been some excellent changes regarding graphics and animations, making combat and free running look so fluid and epic, there actually aren't that many opportunities for a fight during the missions. In fact, the game often wants to restrict you with 'optional objectives' like staying out of open combat and limiting the amount of people you kill. This is extremely immersion breaking and unsatisfying. The stealth missions are also very linear and of you make one mistake then you're instantly desynchronised. However, there are a few awesome bits, which are inconsistent, leading you to a let down of an assassination target.
    The frontier is also a completely new addition to Assassin's Creed 3. It's a lush landscape, with loads of opportunities to climb and hunt animals. Other than that, it's really quite empty.
    Having played every Assassin's Creed game, I've always found the Desmond/Abstergo storyline intriguing and a nice break from delving back through history. Now, they're an even bigger break from playing as Connor. Climbing up a skyscraper, sneaking through a stadium, fighting your way through Abstergo - it's fun and high octane stuff. I can safely say that the Connor storyline is boring, partly because of how many times cutscenes interrupt the gameplay. The whole 'revenge' thing is cliché and I don't think Connor even understands why he is an Assassin, as opposed to Altair and Ezio. The multiplayer is fun, yet quite similar to that of Revelations.
    In conclusion, this game had a lot of potential to deliver a consistently entertaining and awesome experience, but it sadly fails at it with an uninteresting storyline, frustrating linear sequences and boring open world gameplay (ironic, I know).
  32. Nov 24, 2012
    A real review of Assassin's Creed 3
    I created an account just for this review because too many people and critics alike are giving this game unfair grief for stupid reasons.
    First of all the PC version is superior to the console versions. I've seen both and PC allows the game to shine how it's supposed to. No, Ubisoft didn't develop this game for the PC ALONE, but it's not a bad port
    at all and they did release it later in order for it to have less bugs and to polish the game more. otherwise they could've just released it when consoles came out.
    Now to the game itself, it's an amazing game with tremendous quality. Ubisoft did an amazing job in its research to make the game very historical and has very accurate portrayals of Boston and New York. They hired an actual Mohawk (Native American) consultant to make sure they were getting their language right and portraying how they lived correctly.
    The game engine is AMAZING. Ubisoft has easily made one of the best open-world game engines of this time. The way the weather looks, tracks in the snow, rain, the terrain, the environment feels like a living, breathing environment. It renders the whole world seamlessly. And going to the world, it's HUGE. Bigger than any other Assassin's Creed and rivals the size of GTA4 and Skyrim, but with so much more detail. Which goes on to my next point, Attention to Detail. I've played hundreds of games, but AC3 takes the cake for the most attention to detail, but the thing is NO ONE appreciates this. All the environments are created piece by piece. There are animals roaming the streets of Boston, you can interact them, the people talk about real world things that happened at the time, such as the Boston Tea Party, Taxation, etc. Everything looks authentic from the houses, to peoples' clothes, to the voice acting. Ubisoft literally tried to make to make sure they got every little thing right about the game, something I CANNOT say about many of the other developers out there.
    Mechanics & Animation are the next biggest improvements in this game. Assassin's Creed was starting to get a little dull in this environment as time went on. I read how somebody said the combat was choppy in this game and fluent in AC2 and the others...HA! The combat was the biggest issue in the other games. You just hold down a button and press another anytime somebody was attacking you and Voilà! You are now a tank. And it was pretty awkward and choppy. They've completely revamped combat and it actually works. You have to time counters now with one button and once you counter you can either attack with primary weapon, secondary item, disarm, or throw the person, but it's a lot more involved now since you and enemies have guns and they take a while to reload not that fake stuff in Brotherhood and Revalations. And it's a lot more fluent now and looks really really cool when you master it. Free-running is really improved with just one button to press, but the animations make it look so much better because it's MUCH more fluent, free-running through the trees is just amazing. The animations for people look great too and flow so much better so their lips actually look like what they are saying.
    One of the biggest improvements in the game is you can ACTUALLY BE and LOOK LIKE an assassin. In the other games it you were just doing things that they wanted you to go guns-in-blazing for every situation. Because of the many elements provided to you to help keep you concealed you can actually sneak through and make less mistakes. You can now take cover behind a wall or similar surface and peek around it, which is great to me because it looks really stupid standing behind a wall and looking at it just to see around the corner. You can now blend in in bushes and you don't have to have a huge crowd to follow to blend in either. You can pretend to look at merchandise, stand on a wall with some people, and many more things to increase your stealth.

Yes there are bugs in the game and sometimes you will still do things that you don't want to do because there are too many actions mapped to one button. But people are acting like there are bugs around every corner which is just plain false. I use a controller for PC because it makes things easier and you have analog controls which is very useful for this game. The pros overwhelmingly outweigh the cons in this game. I can't believe people, and critics too, would give this game average and below average scores, but go crazy over low quality games like Call of Duty and half of the other releases out there. I give respect where respect is due and this game demands respect from a gamer. You're personal mishaps of YOUR low FPS, how YOU can't complete a mission, and YOUR crashes, and how YOU think it's boring, shouldn't take away from this game. You crash so much because you torrented the game and it's a bad torrent. AC3 contests for one of the best games in the past couple of years
  33. Nov 24, 2012
    First thing to hit you about this game is how badly optimised it is. The opening scene, which is set in a fores, makes your frames per second plummet. All this is but a taste to what is to come. Once you enter the city of Boston, the game becomes unplayable even in the lowest detail setting with frames dropping to as low as 20 fps. This is on a rig that plays Hitman Absolution and BF3 with no issues.

I guess this was expected since it is a Ubisoft game after all. Their console to PC ports are some of the worst in the business.

Gameplay wise, it's standard assassin's creed fare. Jump some buildings, kill some guards and hide in some things. Perhaps the gameplay would've been better without the infuriating performance issues.
  34. Nov 25, 2012
    AC3 is definitely a refreshing change to the already established mechanics of past AC games. An incredible soundtrack, graphically amazing, a predictable yet decent story and a new , likable protagonist, AC3 is surely a game to look into despite a few bugs and glitches.
  35. Nov 25, 2012
    Ok so, good stuff first. The singleplayer - awesome. I'm only on mission 3 and already drawn in - story, characters, graphics, music are top-notch. Combat controls will take a little getting used to, but not like it matters - just mash all the buttons, you'll win. Faces are butt-ugly though, not sure what happened there. I hear they pulled a mass effect with the ending, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
    No, the reason this gets a 0 is the multiplayer. Now, mechanics-wise, it's way better. Having kill and stun on the same button is fantastic. Everyone having a ranged ability is also great, I'm seeing much less roofing. Recycled kill animations are pretty lame, as is smoke bomb still being in the game, but whatever.
    That is, when I can play at all. In Brotherhood, matchmaking was **** terrible, but hey, it was their first experience with that kind of multiplayer, excusable. Plus, they fixed it in Revelations and it was actually pretty efficient. Now it got worse over time, but I put that down to a dwindling player base. Here though, it's back, full retard. I got into a few games initially, which, by the way, had more lag than I've ever experienced in any video game ever, then the matchmaking just failed. Next day, tried for TWO HOURS without finding a single game, gave up, came back a third day, an hour later, still no luck. Now I've gotten into games, so it's not that there aren't enough people, it's just that it's not even trying! It'll say something like "trying to connect to session (1/7)" or (1/21) or whatever. After 3 tries, it puts me in my own session and never puts anyone else in there. If you leave and try again, it puts you in your own session right away. Do that a few times and it will say Ubisoft's servers are unavailable. Sometimes it'll just go to a blank screen (i.e. the background only, no text, music still going) and you have to alt-f4.
    God damn Ubisoft. I know you don't give a **** about the pc community, but you don't have to make it **** WORSE THAN IT ALREADY WAS!
  36. Dec 24, 2012
    Since 2007 I've been following and loyal to the Assassin's Creed series from the release of the first game. I watched the games grow and expand to the triple AAA franchise it is today. When I heard about the Assassins Creed 3 upcoming release, I was really excited. I've watched the E3 game play videos countless times and pre-ordered since day one. However when October 31st came around and my copy of the game came in, I thought that AC3 would definitely win 2012 game of the year, but turned out to be a disappointment. The game has a great introduction and brings the player up to speed about the Assassin and Templar conflict and how Desmonds trying to save the world. You get in the animus and play the tutorial and try out the games many new features and your probably thinking to yourself "wow this is a great game, look at all those new features ubisoft implemented to this new installment!" However once you're done with that the game goes downhill from there. The Pacing is god awful. I understand that you need to set the charters and setting, but the game literally takes you about 4 hours until you can start playing this so called "open-world" game. Speaking of open world, the games so called AnvilNext game engine that claims they can run over 100 NPCS and can" render seamless worlds of nearly infinite possibility, transporting you deep inside America before it was 'America.' From vivid, natural landscapes, to accurate portrayals of life during The American Revolution" is a **** lie. The game is so glitchy it makes Skyrim look like its glitch free, running on 60 FPS. Heres an example. I'm in Boston, one of the main settings in the game and I'm trying to run up a building. the game suffers from so many slowdowns it just doesn't make it enjoyable. To much pop in with NPCS and buildings a whole just ruin the experience. The story is mediocre and not as absorbing as Assassin's Creed II . Conner as a character is satisfactory and is just too serious. Fortunately, the graphics are great, but like I said before, the glitches will turn you off. However the Frontier is great with the new tree climbing and mountain scaling parkour. I find the Frontier the only setting in the game where glitches wont appear as often. All in all this game totally doesn't deserve a 10 nor does it deserve and 0 or a 1. I give this game a 6, soley for Ubisoft's somewhat effort to avoid repetition from previous games and make a jump from the over saturated franchise that it is today. Assassin's Creed III is sloppy, unpolished and rushed product that had so much potential. Expand
  37. Nov 26, 2012
    This game ruined everything I used to love in the Assassin's Creed -franchise.
    (1) The characters were not exciting.
    (2) Story was not exciting.
    (3) Assassin's Creed used to be about assassinations, not charging enemies with your sword out. This game encouraged to brawling, many missions even started with enemies attacking you.
    (4) Parkour is missing. Lack of heights, building too wide
    apart. Even the greatly advertised tree jumping is more linear than all CoD -games combined.
    (5) Sum of previous 4: The game is just not that fun to play. Once I completed it, I felt no desire to go back and complete all mini missions and try for 100% game completion. Maybe if Ubisoft fixed all the hundreds of bugs, I might feel intrigued again...
  38. Nov 27, 2012
    Assassin's Creed 3 really is a striking game all around. It's brilliant presentation of scenery and locale, it's incredible attention to history and beautiful looks, as well as the minor-but-huge fixes to the overall game mechanics, this game succeeds at finally separating itself from the Ezio-esque gameplay style for good. Assassin's Creed's overall formula for gameplay remains relatively unchanged: get presented with a well choreographed cutscene, go sneak around a bit, do some high and low profile combat, and maybe the game will even throw a cookie at you if you manage to complete the optional objectives. The difference though between this game and the two others are the fixes they made to just about everything. In Assassin's Creed 2 and below, the climbing system was revolutionary at first but quickly became frustrating. By the time Revelations rolled around, you could clearly tell that Ubisoft was trying it's best to revamp the climbing system, but now they've finally done it right. No longer will you be making awkward camera-angle constrained leaps of faith that most often result in a rather confusing and infuriating death, now instead you need only hold down the high profile button and you'll stick to whatever you land on 99.99% of the time. In addition, the combat system has been largely improved and appears much more fluid. Ubisoft diversified it's previously counter-to-win system by adding a variety of enemies that respond drastically differently to various kinds of attacks, as well as added cool cinematic-esque breaks to the combat by having the enemies form firing lines on you, and you as the player having to react accordingly. Gadgets have also diversified and have all become relatively useful, as compared to the previous games where I found myself using solely one or two. The open world setting inside of the untamed Western Frontier adds an immersion previously unknown in the Assassin's Creed series. It allows players to quite literally take a breath of fresh air as they break away from the hustling, bustling cities of Boston and New York to take a quiet stroll in nature, hop along some trees in an aesthetically pleasing manor, and hunt some animals for pelts and other sell-able goodness.

The story during the first three sequences were a tad slow, but after the end of the third sequence I felt that it was worth the wait. Connor's story isn't necessarily as touching as Ezio's in Assassin's Creed 2, and there isn't quite as much of a connection between the player and the characters, but even despite that i found the historical aspects, the well-done voice acting and visuals drawing me in further as I progressed through the story.

There are however a few reasons this game is not receiving as good a score as I would have liked to have given it. The few biggest things that deterred me as a PC player were the glitches and the overall unoptimized engine on which AC3 runs. Graphical anomalies, AI bugs, disappearing objects and townsfolk as well as the overall poor framerates on my rather hefty rig left me a tad unsatisfied. With a few simple patches from both Nvidia in it's drivers and Ubisoft with some minor game fixes, this could easily earn another point from me.

Some other negative points to be noted were some of the rather pointless features this game introduces, such as the underground Free Mason navigation tunnels and the frankly overcomplicated trading system. I feel like with every Assassin's Creed game since 2, Ubisoft has been trying to force another concept down our throats: first it was the guilds and the shop-rescuing mechanics from Brotherhood, the bomb crafting feature in Revelations and a combination of the Naval fights and the new trading system in this one. While the naval battles succeed in being consistently epic, if not a bit frustrating at times, the trading and crafting system feels a bit clunky and overcomplicated. If Ubisoft had taken some steps to simplify their UI and to streamline some of the process it wouldn't be such an issue, but I found myself being deterred from using it during the core of my gameplay and mainly focused on story missions throughout.

All in all this a very well done game and I would recommend it to veterans and newbies alike. If you don't have the patience to pace yourself and take the game slowly as it intends you to, this game may not be for you, but for those with the curiosity and the tenacity to explore this game as thoroughly as it bids you to, the experience it grants you is unparalleled.
  39. Nov 27, 2012
    Pretty good series, but not as good as the 2nd was. I missed something from it, maybe the good story. I've waited for it, but it's not as good, as I expected. Good graphics, good gameplay, but not the best story. The character of Connor is easy to forget, not like Ezio or Altair. I liked the game, but it's not the best in this series.
  40. Oct 22, 2013
    Ok, so, first of all, this was one of the most expected games in 2012. Everyone expected incredible graphics, amazing storyline, fighting mechanics, and other worth-buying innovations. They achieved the graphics, because they are incredible. The fighting mechanics are good too. The storyline- Mehh.
    I didn't enjoyed a lot playing it. I mean, it's not that I hate it or nothing, but, I guess
    it wasn't something out of this world. I give it a 6. Expand
  41. Nov 28, 2012
    Good: Pretty good story line, not a common scenario that you would see in other games. Graphics are good. Cities look realistic, definitely captures the feel of the era. Weapons are pretty cool. Fast travel has been added in more places than just the tunnels. The money systems have been revised, it takes a little more effort to make cash now. Haytham is a very well done character and really good voice acting. The naval battles are awesome, easily the most enjoyable part of the game for me.

Bad: Very linear, yet jumpy story. There isn't a lot of creativity involved in what you do. Combat is great if you love cinematic kill shots, not so much if you enjoy honing your skills to get better. It's basically block when the warning thing pops up and mash the mouse button. It's often hard to pick up dropped weapons while in combat. There are some higher level AI that you fight that seem to just headbutt you and reverse your blocks making you just want to shoot them to end the hand to hand combat. Crafting seems very scattered and doesn't make much sense, why am I crafting barrels again? You will probably get stuck in the crafting menu until they get it patched. Lock picking... wtf. Doesn't make any sense at all. Your horse will likely get stuck inside of things frequently, but no big deal you can just call another. Better make sure you setup your shortcut key to the horse whistle though because your equipped weapons change by themselves. You may try to call a horse and wind up shooting a patrolling redcoat in the face. You can't just blindly jump from a viewpoint because it doesn't automatically line you up with the soft haystack at the bottom, this becomes annoying when you do the tree viewpoints and can't see the ground. Remember all those amazing underground puzzles in the past AC's? Yeah, none of that here. The main character isn't very likable. He's kind of an arrogant dick head to everyone. Achilles's story doesn't really end with a bang. Seems like they just ran out of time and forgot about that part. The story outside of the Animus is just out of control. It's not immersive and mostly leaves you with more questions than answers. The thing that frustrated me the most I'd say was the movement. The cities are designed to look more realistic, but unfortunately that means that rooftops are harder to traverse. Everything is very spread out, and it's hard to stay in the air for very long. The climbing seems to have been dumbed down a bit, when you want to climb it works nicely. If you're just trying to run away on the ground you will probably end up trying to climb the food cart or tree that's vaguely close to you, causing you to be surrounded. Graphics look nice, but aren't quite optimized. I have a decent rig, but there are lots of stutters especially when entering the big cities. At the end of the game, I'm very disappointed. I'd consider this the worst game in the series. So much potential, but not properly utilized.
  42. Nov 28, 2012
    Great gameplay, I do love naval combat. Not linear mission, confusing for beginner. Not last, What happening with the desmond face?and connor face from youngster to adult is not the same! hahaha
  43. Dec 20, 2012
    So far it's good, not great though. the graphics have improved over Revelations and the gameplay is a lot simpler (for the better) BUT in pretty much half the missions you have absolutely no idea what to do and after failing a few times you figure out how to progress, plus the actual design of the different levels you get thrown into during missions is herendous, it's almost impossible to get 100% synchronization in most levels, I still have no idea what the developers were smoking when they designed these areas and it is extremely infuriating. The story is alright for an AC game and some of the characters interesting, but most are pretty one-dimensional and boring as heck. Overall it's leaving me a bit disappointed, it's like Ubisoft added some really interesting mechanics to the game but at the same time COMPLETELY butchered what made previous games great, and forgot how to design levels in the process, AND completely threw away any form of guidance to help you figure out what the hell you're doing half the time. This is supposed to be a great starting point for new players to the series but if an AC veteran that has played every single game in the series gets totally confused and frustrated half the time how the heck is someone new to the series supposed to get through the entire campaign?? All in all AC 3 is basically a mess, a shiny mess, yes. But still a mess Expand
  44. Nov 29, 2012
    Great story, awesome graphics. The amount of time you can spend in game is huge. Only playing the main story would take around few days and plus all the side quests and buying and selling mini games take great amount of time. In my opinion mini games are created really good. The flow of the story and the changing of scenes from 18th century to present is epic. Ending is great and the only bad thing I can say about this game is that we don't get to choose the ending, Desmond chooses what he wants. All in all, really great game! Expand
  45. Dec 30, 2012
    i would like to give this game a 6-7 but the climbing tree part of this game is downright broken and that's a big part of the game! it feels untested! so just because i can 0/10
  46. Nov 29, 2012
    I have to give a 5 score to the AC3,if im not a fun of AC series i may give 0.It's terrible,really.I dont know whether the ubi did it for PC or not,see the lockpick system.All the experience gives me the fact that UBI only concerns about the results on console.
  47. Nov 30, 2012
    While this is the best looking Assassin's Creed so far, everything else is the worst and disappointing. The story missions are dull and uninspiring. The game also feels disorganized, there are side-missions that are already on the map when I haven't even meet the character associated with it. I found myself doing things I don't even know what for because I haven't been briefed. And most of the side-missions doesn't even bother to give you a reason. Just targets popping out in mini-map. 3 years to develop this? More like 3 years spent on the graphic engine and 3 weeks of rushing overworked coders on the actual game. Expand
  48. Nov 30, 2012
    This game gives me more and more new emotions with each part of the game! every chapter shows new gameplay, besides it has updated battle and acrobatic systems and updated graphic. AC3 absolutely perfect, and this is an eidos of the Assassin's Creed franchise as for me.
  49. Dec 2, 2012
    伴随着刺客信条3的到来,我终于坚定地删除了硬盘中的刺客信条前几作,刺客大师艾吉奥传奇的一生已经结束,;余烬中垂垂暮年的他再也无法神勇的战斗,最后安详并且宁静的逝于佛罗伦萨。

虽然我怀念于艾吉奥奔跑在文艺复兴时代的潇洒身影,但刺客信条系列并没有结束,新的一作,新的主角,英国人与印第安人生下的混血儿
  50. Dec 2, 2012
    This game really good about graphics also playability and action. Like a all serious. But last version so that it is given the score. And of source music is good.
  51. Dec 2, 2012
    What a complete waste of time. I actually could't play this game for more than two hours at a time, fearing my heart would give in from my frustration:-) Every aspect of this game i worse than even AC1. Let aside the battles at sea whitch was new and great. The buttons, the story, gameplay, grafics, caracters, conversations, cutcenes, I could go on and on, they all suck! Do not buy this game, and spare yourselves from a lot of pain. Alex Hutchinson name is now burned in to my brain, and i will forever shun from anything he puts his name on Expand
  52. Dec 2, 2012
    Terrible. After 3 hours I can't stand to play anymore, and from the very beginning I realized this was a game to be dismissed. I've played all the others in the series, but the pacing and mission design is absolutely painful to go through. I consider myself patient, but after nothing but cutscenes and missions that say "hide in a bush, or spring up to this thing and press E" only to enjoy another 10 minutes of cutscenes is very frustrating. And also, after completing tediously boring sections of a mission that include mind-numbingly mundane eavesdropping, some bum spots you a half second before you kill him, and BAM you are a failure and must restart the entire mission.

Boston is bland and uninspiring. Freerunning has become something of the past, the building design doesnt support fluent running and movement. This game is basically about pressing the E button when prompted.

And WTF is with the stupid lockpicking? Broken as hell. Extremely disappointed with this game, I have no desire to continue playing only after 3 short hours of gameplay (chalk it up to about 8 hours playtime due to boring cutscenes and dumb mission design failures.)
  53. Dec 2, 2012
    I think the BEST assassin creed ever (I am a PC gamer so my reviews are strictly based on PC Games)... Pros. 1. In My Top 5 List for "Best Game Story of 2012" 2. Even Support Intel HD 3000 (minor lags in snow) 3. Best Combat System (B.A.C is better in hand to hand combat) 4. Desmond Face Is improved Dramatically. 5. Every Character Have There Unique Features 6. Best Colonial Environment I have Ever Seen
    7. You Will Ride Horses All The Time
    8. Soundtracks are better than brotherhood and revelation
    9. Voice Acting was spectacular.
    10. You Can even Skip clips in this version
    Cons.
    1. Very Difficult to kill wild animals
    2. Xbox Port for game pad
    3. keyboard controls are difficult to understand
    4. as AdaReview Says story not really suited for a "open world/free roaming"-game.

i think this game is one of the best game in 2012....
  54. Mar 31, 2013
    This game is OK! Its nothing special or awesome. Its also not very bad. In my opinion this game is a bit too long. (I didnt read the story after 20% of the game, quiet boring this stuff). In the end the cutscenes are too often and too long and the worst you CANT skip them. Thats not what i wrong from a good game you still need a skip button. I dont want to see the credits, iam not intrested in them but you cant skip them. (fail) The game has good graphics but the hair from characters are just terrible, even GTA IV had better hair. Also the controls are not very good. In some missions you need to sprint but sprint is also the climb button so sometimes you climb stuff up that you didnt even want. There are also no marks in missions. (I often failed because of that). Iam happy that i didnt buy that game. I got it with my new PC. Thats not a great game. It have some positiv some like the openworld, graphics in some ways, also minigames etc. etc. Never played AC1/2 and i wont play AC4 its not that good. Expand
  55. Dec 3, 2012
    I couldn't get over the first frontier mission in Lexington. I didn't get to the Connor part, they killed my motivation well before that...I was so bored by the city of Boston...no side quest, no shop, no money, nothing to do outside the story. Where are the RPG elements in AC anymore ? The new fighting engine is simpler, but the weapon switching is a mess. I see this game as a dump down version, for the little kids of 15-16 who never played AC before. But for those who did played AC before, it's just another bad follow up since AC2. They just keep breaking it, further and further. When you dilute your Kool-aid too much, there is a point when it doesn't taste like kool-aid anymore...AC 3 feels just like that. Expand
  56. Dec 4, 2012
    Just to be clear, AC2 is the best AC game ever, but take AC2 away and review this game like the game is. Ok, let's start. The game is amazing. Just like I expected it to be. The graphics are good, no glitches, no cutting edges. The combat system is just like it needs to be. To be able to take down 30 guards is amazing. I did that when i took a fort. I also love the fact that it takes place in the American revolution is fantastic. Sorry for my bad English btw. I love that you're playing as Connor as a child to begin with, I had to laugh a couple of times when i first saw it. And when you are a teenager and you are getting introduced to the hunting system i was like wow, amazing system. And that you can find chests with stuff and cash is awesome. But the thing I like the most beside the story is to take over forts and free-running. The story was really good until the ending like people says, but i haven't played through the game yet, so I will leave that out of hand. But play through the game if you like Assassin's Creed. Expand
  57. Dec 7, 2012
    I love the Assassin's Creed series, but this game was like a huge kick in the balls for me. I was extremely excited when I heard they were (finally) moving Assassin's Creed to America but I expected much more. After doing absolutely nothing to improve the game from Brotherhood to Revelations they decided to keep everything they did before except smaller buildings and a larger free-roam map. The thing that really pissed me off was the crappiest intro known to man. If you want to know exactly how to make people not want to play your game. Make the intro on a boat while teaching them to do everything they learn by playing the game anyways. Hats off to the creators of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. Hats back on (and a few boo's) to the creators of Assassin's Creed 3. Expand
  58. Dec 4, 2012
    This game left me with the mixed feelings. From one side we've got gorgeous, detailed word, with thoroughly made "living" characters, extraordinary level of animation (for protagonist and NPC alike), high standards of visual image. From the other side we got awful game: lame arcade gameplay, linear level design for missions, zero replayability. One thing I keep thinking while playing, that developers had so many ideas for this game - they never had time to fully complete ANY. The game also very NOT-friendly for users. There is almost no in-game tutorial, text tutorial in "animus database" is almost useless. Sometimes I've needed much more time to understand what developers want from me to complete a mission, rather than fulfilling a task itself. Worst interface (PC version) I've seen for years - another major thing, that spoiled my experience. Expand
  59. Dec 5, 2012
    Amazing Experience. Connor is cool Assassins with pretty cool weapons and fighting tactics.Still not a juicy character like 'Ezio' though but lays up well to my expectations.Yes,there are lags in the game,
    -During free-running Connor may dip inside the land (surface)
    -Problems during the High-top Sync.
    Over all and Amazing game to play the tree running is superb and the Wildlife is
    simply Exquisite.

Must Play ! M.Usman Nazir
  60. Dec 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is probably best compared to going into a restuarant, purchasing the best steak available and finding that it is burnt on the outside and raw on the inside. My first review composed of a lot of swearing, but I have decided to refine it...
    I love Assasins Creed. The story, the characters, the open-world and free-running freedom and the choice to go at your own pace. The series seemed to go from strength-to-strength (with the exception of Revelations), however when I played this game, I couldn't believe at how arrogant the game is. The first 4 hours of the game, you are dictated what to do non-stop. The cut-scenes happen far too often and rather than allowing you to skip conversations during a cut-scene to speed it up, the only options you have are to watching the entire scene - which are usually incredibly drawn out and slow paced - or to skip the scene entirely. I don't like being left in the dark, but Assasins Creed 3 seems to like to test the gamer's patience with the abundantly pedantic amount of cut-scenes. It feels as if every time you are getting momentum, suddenly, a wild lengthy cut-scene appears! Also, ignore every review that addresses amazing new free-running. It's not amazing it's actually disasterous and completely unneccesary. The game has now taken away your choice as to when you want to climb/jump and when you only want to run. Now, when you run, you automatically will climb/jump. This sounds great, except for some reason, the developers decided to slow your character down when jumping/climbing to the point where I'd rather just run away from enemies instead of performing the seamless parkour that was evident in the earlier titles. Most of the time, my character tries to climb or jump onto a nearby barell/box during a chase that I wasn't even aiming towards. Next up, combat. Combat is always fun right? The developers decided to find a way to mess that up too. Your counter-attacks can now be countered as well, which is kind of ridiculous when surrounded by strong enemies who take away your health each time they counter your counter-attack. So there's no way around that but to discourage combat, which nobody wants to do. The leap-back move has been taken out, because the game would rather you time your blocks, even if it means the enemy can counter your blocks which you cannot stop. You can no longer grab enemies. The menu to select weapons has now been taken from a nice, seamless, in-game experience to a full blown menu which covers your whole screen. Which you still need to hold the button in for. Instead of an easy inventory-wheel seen in previous titles, the weapon-select menu shows the weapons in a column view, which is rather annoying and doesn't allow a "snap-select", you now have to scroll through each and every weapon to get to the one you want. Did I mention there are only 4 quick buttons? So we are now forced to use this unpleasant menu more frequently. Horses are completely useless when not being used on roads and trails because although they have no problem jumping up hills, they seem to have a problem jumping down again. It's little, irritating things like this that make me really not care about the game. It's just irritating and not a joy to play. Even the amazing visuals and life in the busy streets of 1700's New York isn't enough to distract the disgustingly obvious flaws. There are no bugs in this game, the entire game is even more flawed and unfinished than Dragon Age 2 ever was. It seems that the developers were so excited about finishing the game, they decided to distribute it before they could discover on how to make it better.

There's just too much wrong with this game. Play it for yourself and see.
  61. Dec 10, 2012
    Pros -Great atmosphere and history -Amazing and humorous detail in the database -Fun combat -Incredible Naval Battles Cons -BORINGLY SLOW beginning of the game, spend 4+ hours as a different character and the boy version of Connor doing stupid fetch quests -Crap game economy, can go throughout the game without buying a thing -Heavy reliance on cutscenes, most of which are slow -Terrible replacement of building running with tree running, no longer fun to run atop of rooftops, because guards spot and kill you instantly
    -Relatively Bad U.I
    -TERRIBLE gun/throwing weapon controls

Overall, AC3 is a huge letdown in the AC series, and a disappointment to the stealth genre
  62. Dec 7, 2012
    Score of 0. Very poorly done and very poorly ported to PC. Horrible controls. Mouse accel is only acceptable on extremes for SP(10) and MP(1). Nothing like any previous games. Stealth is gone. Assassinations are gone. AC is gone. Turning into a COD clone with guns now. UBI robbed us of funds
  63. Dec 18, 2012
    Let me preface this by saying the only truly good Assassin's Creed game was 2. Brotherhood and Revalations were just cheap shadows of Assassin's Creed 2. Having said that, I love Assassin's Creed 3. I think it is set in a fantastic time period, with great movement and combat mechanics, and awesome voice acting. When I started playing, I thought I was in for another amazing A.C. like I had been missing since the 2nd one. However, after playing about halfway through the game I became more and more frustrated with what I can only how is a series of bugs and errors. The guards detection abilities and line of sight are often inhuman. They spin 180 at the drop of a pin, the can see in a 270 degree arc, and sometimes they simply know where you are and what your doing. On top of that I've been killed by soldiers during a cutscene, how my inventory wiped clean a couple of times, and several other bugs I wont go into. But more disappointing than the all the bugs that persist despite their massive patch, is that the game seems to want you to have to fight everyone. In AC games past, I was able to complete most everything without being noticed, or at the very least killing everyone quitey, and with relative ease I might add. As of 1/3 of the way through this game I and finding it difficult to complete several missions without direct confrontation. And before I hear a score of, "Your just not good at the game" or "Get better" i assure you that I am quite an accomplished gamer and very good that this game. I summary, Ubisoft was so close to remaking the magic that was Assassin's Creed 2 only to fall short by 2 steps. 1 the story wasn't quite as good, and 2 they released the game to soon...it just wasn't finished yet. Expand
  64. Dec 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Assassin Expand
  65. Dec 8, 2012
    I love this series. I'm actually kinda heart broken. They tried to do a lot and couldn't finish it - Everything feels incomplete. Maybe im just an old fart gamer and this is my final, cynical nail - but I highly doubt it. I saw so much potential, patiently waited through the reviews on the consoles and got this baby into my hands.. but then I was hand held for well hours- The optional objectives are unrealistic, confusing. The story while full of merit, and follows the previous template of the other stories - has been over done and feels outlandish. The character portrays native americans as if they were quiet simpletons most of the time - until he makes up his mind on something, and even then, you might find yourself intentionally walking into the enemy, killing someone you wouldn't of thought you would, or losing the ability to communicate like a normal human being and left finally to once again be stuck with hand holding through minor plot points.

Another reason I'm so annoyed is the UI is awful, and they knew it when they released it. The assassin system is merely an ode to what was made from a super power system - and half the time they don't even work, buggy terrain or just watching on from fences - a near constant immersion breaker. The guild missions are horrible and horribly done with no obvious or explained pro's - and the trade system is pretty much the same, and time consuming for -nothing- Even the Boat missions which are actually rewarding - DON'T EVEN GIVE YOU THE DAMN COSTUME YOU'VE BEEN WEARING THE ENTIRE TIME ON THE BOAT- THEY GIVE YOU SOME OTHER GUYS AND MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'VE GOT A POTTY ON YOUR HEAD.

I always thought people hated the assassins creed series because it was a bit lengthy and complex. And for some reason some gamers seem to hate that?!? -This at first seems to play on that.. But then you find yourself struggling to climb trees- buildings with obvious climb points - being rendered unclimbable until you run away and come back. Extremely annoying in some of the missions when your character suddenly decides - he can't climb, has no acrobatic skill - or wants to SUICIDE ON THE SIDE OF A FRIGGIN HAY CART. *Breath* The Developers in this story, take on the role of the templars. They hold all the ideals of a good game but, it's hollow, because all they are interested in now is the money the franchise can generate - not the happiness it could bring those who enjoy it's freedoms. See what I mother f--king did there? Yeah. THATS HOW BAD YOUR WRITING WAS.

The original three act story has now been fragmented so much everything of relevelence, unique or powerful is near common place. You know modern day security agents only fire one single shot? JUST LIKE THEY ARE USING FLINT LOCKS? It just makes me mouth vomit. But out of respect for where this franchise started I wanted to see the end. No spoilers just the credits. Every other assassins game you could speed through the credits. This one, after a very hollow ending which im not even going to get started on - I was forced to sit through multiple countries and regions credits, like they were PROUD I wasted 70 hours into it - You know what? 8 of those hours I can legitimately put down to the fact that I fell asleep waiting for the credits to roll by, to make sure the game saved and so I could try and finish the assassins missions (which are horrible)

It's sad that the rest of that time I felt like I was being forced to run or ride around long winding terrain, even to find the fast travel points you have to spend ages dealing with a concept that's extremely unrealistic and that gives very little reward for a lot of time spent. The devs spent a lot of time focusing on the forest - to do it again, to the level where they couldn't even see the trees. I don't want a game of nod too's and references too good games (di vinci's flying machine) - I want substance, details - not quick mash cutscenes - not cutscenes with 'fake' quick mash cutscenes to show me 'how quick' other characters are.

I think it's just sad. This whole 'lets try and be interactive cinematic' attitude game developers have at the moment is a level of self delusion worth commiting for - You're game designers. Make games. If I wanted a 6 hour movie - I'd call Peter Jackson, If i wanted I hybrid, I'd buy a prius - I come to you for games. Make games. Don't try remodeling the wheel when you don't know crap about the industry you're trying to recreate in a GAME.

This was written to completion using individual keys instead of just holding the one like you have to through the entire game of assassins creed thanks to the new movement system.

I was going to give it a 5 - but the Ubisoft 'launcher' (read steam clone which steam launchs so you can play the game) annoyed me so much I had to take off three points (it also accounts for about 30 hours of my 'in game time' on my steam)

waste of time for all involved.
  66. Jan 3, 2014
    Ok, let's start with the positive so we can clear this one out quickly the cut scenes are awesome. Done. Check.
    Now with the negative :
    1. This is the most boring and clumsiest assassin you'll ever see in your life. This character I already forgot his name just to say is the total opposite of Ezio no charisma whatsoever, no substance, no facial resemblance with any of the glorious
    assassin family Desmond is the last heir of, boring voice and poor abilities. You can't get attached to such a dull character and have any fun using him. You just can't.
    2. All the Assassin's Creed games sucked me in from the very beginning of the story and glued me to my screen, wasting countless hours to make the scenario and characters progress. This one is so annoying, I have no interest in making anything progress and knowing what happened to the saga. I didn't even understand why Desmond ended up in the animus reenacting this stupid ancestor memories. Nothing's explained or makes sense. It's like, yeah whatever, just do it because well, it's an Assassin's Creed game so let's just milk the same cow again and issue a new episode of the series.
    3. The game-play has been revised for the worst. Listen Ubisoft, there's one golden rule in gaming and in programming in general: if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Don't. Just don't. Ever. Instead, you just frustrated millions of players who enjoyed so far the continuity of playing all Assassin's Creed games the same way but you also made it much worse by complicating for no reason a fluid interface with boring menus/sub-menus and counter-intuitive controls. This is an epic failure.
    4. The AI. Oh my! The AI is as equally retarded than it is deadly, depending on the time, the scenario and the situation. This is such a marker for a failed product to see the vast dichotomy between AI characters accepting you just vanished because you hid behind a barrel in their plain sight as it is when they accurately shoot you to near death when you're jumping from one roof to another, while alerting instantly every other patrols within a 50 miles radius around you.
    5. Gazillions of bugs everywhere. For everything. We're not talking about specific glitches in specific areas and such. Direct and obvious bugs like the character's cape going crazy and making him look like a ridiculous bat whenever climbing any tall structure. This is not something you can miss. Clearly, you haven't tested your product at all. Or if you have, you clearly have no respect for your customers in attempting to deliver any level of quality for your products. Let's just issue the damn thing and bang money as much as we can before they realize they bought a piece of crap. The fact that Ubisoft publicly told their customers they have no intention to fix any of the bugs, well I guess we all know now how they consider them (moooo!).
    6. Missions 90% of the time, I have no clue why I'm doing a mission or what I'm supposed to do. I just try random things until it seems that the mission progresses. The story is so botched that they didn't even try to provide explanations of why you're doing something in the game now.
    Overall, the whole thing feels very sour: the great saga that lasted for a decade now has been burnt to the ground by the greediness of Ubisoft executives in a clumsy attempt to milk their customers. From what I can read from gamers about AC IV, it's pretty much the same disaster. Guess what, won't buy it. Well, well done Ubisoft for shooting yourself in the foot and killing one of the greatest saga in gaming history.
  67. Dec 11, 2012
    Well... before I start, I wanted to tell that I just had to register to write this review. Let it be a warning for anyone who reads the comments here. Assassin's Creed was a great franchise, I loved both episodes and expansions before this. They had their problems, but all in all were great games with a magnificent story, which is not usual these days.

So to this game. It has some
    annoying bugs, yes, which game does not? Ok, maybe a little too much bugs, but a few patches can solve most of these problems. If you want a game with action, where you can kill enemies by the dozens in a fight and love jumping on trees and houses, this is your game. But, if you like the story too (like me), then just don't bother with this. Cherish the memories of the previous games and pretend like this does not even exists. The start of this game is aweseom, as you expect it, but it is all downhills from here. There will be some plot holes through the story, but the real **** comes at the end. The last few hours of gameplay is like a bad dream come true. The story and all events towards the end are so nonsensical, that it drove me mad. I was like "WTF?" at everything I saw. It literally rapes the story in my eyes and i'm ashamed in place of the creaters for what they have done.

All in all, if you think Mass Effect 3 had a ****ty ending, then you can not even fathom what waits you here. If you are a fan of the Assassin's Creed games then avoid this like the plaque.

I only gave 2 points for the great 2 previous episodes, this deserves a 0 as a standalone game.
  68. Dec 11, 2012
    I really don't recommend buying this game full price, maybe buying cheaper, but for $ 60,00, it isn't worth this price. The game is unfinished, they wasted too much time on the engine and graphics, so there wasn't money and time left for adding, you know? Gameplay. The missions are linear, scripted, short, and unchallenging, even Assassins creed I is better than this game and I hated Assassins Creed I. The side activities are pointless, I got bored very quickly when I discovered that most side missions required of me to watch two or more loading screens, walk half the map to just beat a random dude or to do a simple fetch quest to some generic NPC. The game is just a big interactive movie, the story is decent, but is no way as good as assssin's creed II . I really don't understand, why Ubisoft want to turn all their games into interactive movies. Do you like interactive movies? Buy Walking dead instead (the story is way better and its cheaper too). Do you like open world games? Better games for you: Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Read Dead Redemption. Do you really want to buy an assassins creed game? Buy assassins creed II (it's still a game an not an interactive movie, will not bore you to death with endless cutscenes, the story is way better). Really want to buy this game? Better wait for a steam sale. If you buy this game for $ 60,00, you are just wasting your money and if this game sales are good, I fear for the future of the franchise. Expand
  69. Dec 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not sure if actually the worst or the best of the series. Maybe not the worst, AC1 was (because it feels like a test, for example comparing Portal 1 with 2). It was fun and different from the previous games, but I was missing something, maybe because it doesn't play in Italy and the annoying language. The atmosphere was pretty cool though. After I completed the second level on the ocean, heard the music and saw the title, I thought it's gonna be an awesome adventure, but I got dissappointed. Why in the hell would you wanna be Haytham for 4 Sequences (If that's right)? Considering the game won't have any DLC's with story for Connor, the last 8 sequences are not really much for a completely new assassin. They kinda overdid the beginning and made it much longer than it should've be. Some may be good with it, but they should've worked with a more advanced story when it really begins, not to mention the missions are kinda dull, the ending for desmond was literally the "end of the world". I'm not disappointed nor excited about the game. I think I'll leave it with a 6. Expand
  70. Dec 14, 2012
    The bloated decaying corpse of a once great franchise. I have been a fan from the beginning, but this final installment was easily the worst of them all, by a wide margin. All three of the points I have given the game come from the in game graphics, specifically the forest environment. As for the rest of the game, all I can say is awful game design, poor animation and bad writing. One of the strangest things about AC3 is that much of the fun, 'assassin' gameplay of previous titles has been replaced by military themed mini-games. That is where they would actually allow you to play the game - AC3 is easily over 50% lengthy cutscenes, featuring characters which were ultimately dull and aroused no empathy from the viewer. Worse still, I often found the final blow to an enemy was delivered not by me, but in a cutscene. I found myself longing for even the most minor of interaction to feel like I was actually playing a game I had spent £30 on. I would not recommend this game to anyone, it is simply not fun. Expand
  71. Dec 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went in to Assassin's Creed III expecting something similar to the AC2 trilogy with a different control scheme. How wrong I was. I'd started to get a little tired of our Italian friend Ezio Auditore da Firenze. Don't get me wrong - AC2, Brotherhood, Revelations... These were all great games, but they had Call of Duty/EA Sports syndrome - the same game with minor upgrades released yearly. Fortunately for Ubisoft, and gamers, they were damn fine games. But as I said, AC3 isn't a repeat of the last three years. But is that a good thing? Of course it is!

Assassin's Creed III picks up right were Revelations ended - Desmond, his father, and the two remaining assassin buddies Rebecca and Shaun have found the temple they've been searching for. Now all they need is a key to get in to the inner chamber and save the world from a solar flare. Makes sense? Not really, but it does the trick for letting us mess around in various historical settings. The explanation for the new setting is... Well, there really isn't one. The "ones that came before" just happen to know how to make the animus work and give Desmond a new ancestor to relive the memories of.

Now this is where I venture into some serious spoiler territory, so skip the next (and rather large) paragraph if you don't want early to mid-game spoilers.

London, mid 18th century. A crowded theatre, it's patrons awaiting the start of a play. A well-dressed and well-spoken man by the name of Haytham Kenway enters, and starts talking to his associate. Shortly afterwards, it's off to climb around the theatre and assassinate someone. Haytham steals his necklace, which is believed to be the key to the temple Desmond and company have just found. Haytham then travels to America, and you get a good couple of hours to mess around in Boston as him. It's pretty much the standard Assassin's Creed fare - climb buildings to get to view points and un-fog the map, kill the angry guards with your hidden blades, and so on. I think Haytham is probably the most well-written character the series has come out with thus far. After a few missions, some surprising plot twists occur, which I won't spoil as they're actually really cool, and you start out playing as Haytham's half-native American son, Connor, a few years later. This is the "growing up" part, where you get your assassin training and so on. The game opens up bit by bit, and then things start to get really interesting. I must mention the few missions where you play as Desmond in 2012 - they're great fun, if a little linear. I tried ripping down the wanted posters when I first saw them, but to no avail! Still, a nice touch to see them around.

The new gameplay mechanics - hunting wildlife, gathering resources, crafting new gear, trading - these are all well-implemented and keep things interesting. Killing a bear is great fun. The free-running feels much different this time around, as you're out in the countryside a lot, climbing through trees and cliffs as opposed to buildings and streets. There's a nice juxtaposition between the country and the cities of Boston and New York, keeping the game fresh for hours.

Combat's had a nice overhaul, but is still a little too easy for the most part. The addition of guns is nice, but they take a long time to reload, so your bow is usually a better - and stealthier - option.
    The real main attraction, however, is the naval missions. You captain a ship, giving orders to your crew to adjust sails, man cannons, and so on. It's well-implemented and doesn't feel like an after-thought - unlike Revelations' tower defence mini-game.

The Assassin Brotherhood is still there, but for the most part it's optional. Fast travel's improved, and the awful villa/city management has been overhauled. You now meet new people and build a small settlement around your mentor's manor. It's got great story elements and is more mission-based than money-based.

There's plenty of mini-games to do, ranging from a few board games to bowls and fight clubs. A lot of content, and surprisingly well thought out. Nothing has been half-done here. Everything seems to have been lovingly crafted, and designed to be great fun. And that's exactly what it is.

The story missions in colonial America are great fun, and aiming for 100% synchronisation is a great challenge. It's been fleshed out a bit this time around, as there are now multiple bonus objectives as opposed to just the one.

Graphically, the game is beautiful. On a decent PC, you'll be amazed at what the Assassin's Creed team at Ubisoft has done. Sound design is spot-on as usual, though I preferred some of the music from AC2. The story is great, in my opinion, but I found the ending to be rather lacking. I didn't expect much from it though.

Overall, Assassin's Creed III is an amazing game that's incredibly difficult to pick fault with. Definitely a game of the year contender, and easily the best open-world adventure released in 2012.
  72. Dec 15, 2012
    The game is not without flaws. I have jumped 150 meters in the air and fallen to my death. I have found jumping from on object to another isn't as fluid sometimes as others. A couple of times I've have failed to meet goals of a mission and I didn't know it was a goal. The beginning of the game was quite slow to me. In spit of these minor and far and few between little annoying things the game is solid as a whole. I love the ship captain missions it really looks and feels like a ship plunging into waves and fights are amazing. The ground fights are fluid and flowing; different mobs need be engaged differently with breaks monotony in fights unlike the first of the series. I'm 80% into the campaign and the story is fore filling and rewarding. I've enjoyed the side quests (besides collecting feathers which is tedious and unrewarding) The crafting/trading/bartering system is slow at times but the rewards make it worth it if you invest the time. Overall I'm very happy I spent the $50 on the game and I would do it again given the chance to relive it. Expand
  73. Dec 16, 2012
    Initially I was really enjoying the game... Story and game play start off strong. Fighting is amazing. Graphically the cities of Boston and New York look great but both look very similar which was disappointing. The open country is ok but only makes me yearn for Skyrim. Hunting is a joke PERIOD! Ability to run and jump on branches is so unrealistic and just dumb in my opinion. Not sure why they included Naval missions at all, it seems so out of place for this type of game. Half way through I was getting very tired of the linear missions that forced you with one cut scene after another to do missions a specific way. The Ending was so ridiculously stupid that i say let us never speak of Assassin Creed ever again. Expand
  74. Dec 16, 2012
    Я со всей душой желаю чтобы assassin's creed не появлялась в следующем году!!!
  75. Mar 28, 2013
    I don't see how people can hate this game with such fury. This certainly wasn't my favorite AC, but it was better than ACR and it holds up. The only controls that are changed are the sprinting and blocking/parry mechanic. I liked Connor a lot, and the game had interesting characters. The only downside I believe would be the pacing, but in the sense of having so much to do at once, not the main storyline. The Infamous glitches everyone talks about aren't happening to me at all, but it may just be the fact I play on a PS3. Anyway, great game. Expand
  76. Dec 28, 2012
    Amazing graphics and cinematics... but that's about it. Ubisoft no longer pays any attention to PC gamers, who prefer to play with mouse and keyboard. Game is completely reliant on a controller and if you don't have one or don't like playing with one, you cannot play this game because the controls are impossible. This is a big one to me, as I've always been a big fan of the AC series, even back when it didn't reach that much publicity. Now I am forced to use a controller, something I do not enjoy in the slightest, to play one of my favorite franchises. The combat and gameplay is completely lineair, blocking off any creativity from the player. If you're looking for a good assassin game, I'd recommend Dishonored as I have had way more fun playing that than AC III, despite it's superior graphics. Assassin's Creed III is no asset to the franchise, instead it looks like it's going down the same road as the ever-criticized Call of Duty. Save yourself the frustration and the money, unless you're a die-hard fan of the AC lore, don't buy AC III. Expand
  77. Dec 21, 2012
    biggest disappointment in 2012 is definitive AC3, at least for people which played the full AC line, The. player controls are a full downgrade from ACB / ACR to AC3, the whole story lacks of transitions, sometimes you jump into somewhere where you dont have the slightest clue what happened before, AC3 is more or less a 60 $ Cut scene video clips, lots of hours of gameplay is watching the video clips, so that you might, or might not get the story, lots of things make no sense after all. However one of the really bad things i figured is that its literally a bug release, i am sure they wanted to role out before xmas thou, however the stockingpiling menu f.e. is totally broken, some buttons dont work and you cant quit, there, CTD the game and restart doesnt help cause you jump to the broken menue right away, i finally found some forum posts on how to fix it, but still unbelivable to me how they can release so many bugs in a quite expensive retail version. the 85 metascore is unfort. a total fake, i guess they are forced to put it so that they dont loose ubi as advertiser, still sad to see, that games which are really bad, are recommend here! Expand
  78. Dec 22, 2012
    Assassin's creed III may have a few faults but it makes the original look like a pile of crap. And since the first Assassin's Creed was pretty damn good, that should tell you something about AC3.
  79. Dec 22, 2012
    This was the best game I've played in a long time, and I've played many games in the past few years. The story was excellent, the graphics and mechanics were great, and I never ran into the problems other people have encountered (i.e. horses not going where you wan them to). I can only complain of the ending and, while it's a fitting way to end Desmond's story, I can't help but feel that it was all for nothing. The ending to Desmond's story is just a speck of dust in the infinite possibilities of the Assassin's Creed universe. Expand
  80. Oct 9, 2013
    Wow I'm enjoying this game far more than reviews would have me belive. Beautiful graphics, the cities seem so lively and wonderful. The story is interesting and I love the fighting.
  81. Dec 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i really do not get why some people hate this game so much...the developers had made this clear that this game will be an end to desmond's story and after all his goal was to stop the 2012 incident...so there clearly is no reason to get angry over something that you already knew ...the combat was simply awesome and addicting and that includes the naval combat . the story was good but you only get to play as connor with his suit halfway through the game which isnt that bad if you think that the game itself unfolds halfway through the game...and that means that once you get your hands on the actual character you have so many more things to do that are fun . what the game lacks is perhaps the assassination contracts that have been technically been absent from brotherhood. overall this game is awesome and none can deny that this game is fun as hell Expand
  82. Dec 23, 2012
    Might be one of the biggest face plants in game design history. I would guess that roughly 60% of the game is pointless filler. Gameplay is sometimes entertaining. Mostly maddening. Ending felt like it was written by a fourteen-year-old. As a tree climbing simulator I would give this game a 10. The harbor chase near the end...wtf Ubi. Wtf. That's the climactic finish? Punish **** us repeatedly by having to perfectly run a gauntlet 50 times? High fives all around, right guys? Amazing! I hope everyone involved with the making of this game was fired. Expand
  83. Dec 25, 2012
    The game was lots of fun to play, but still falls short of it's predecessor, AC2, despite turning things around a bit from the downward spiral that was Brotherhood and Revelations. While it removes the poorly instated novelties that seemed there for only for the sake of novelty, it's not the game I wish it was. The overhaul of the combat mechanics was refreshing, and the open world movement seems more fluid now, but the team cannot seem to build controls that are fully functional with a keyboard mouse interface. The mouse-look movement was sporadic and inconsistent, and the lack of customization, and keys that are used for more than one function are consistent with a poorly ported console title.

The story was garbage, and obviously pandering to a patriotic U.S. market. It could have been a beautiful tragedy of the day the Assassins started to lose their fight, moving them to where they are today. Instead it is drivel about one man almost single handedly building the new world and killing elk.
  84. Dec 28, 2012
    Ubisoft's 'Assassin's Creed III' marks the end of a saga of heroism, bloodshed and absolute epicness. However, the game has left a sour taste in my mouth as the change in controls, layout and overall experience has shaken me. I found it difficult to combat my enemies without being punched in the face everytime i countered or blocked which would decrease my health. I also found that the bugs and glitches of previous games had not yet been fixed such as the cape dissappearing into the horse your riding, or being blocked by invisible walls or just the occassional **** up in controls leading you to a 500ft plunge off a church building. The game's story is really interesting with the tale of colonized America and a native taking the role of an assassin to hunt his father and restore equality to America. The historical relevance and gameplay makes the experience feel real and interesting, however it is bogged down by repeditive cutscenes and small amount of gameplay. The maps are too large leading to confusion and more bugs and the shops are not plentiful. There is very little customization and the game fails to make you feel individual as a master assassin by not allowing this. Overall though, the game delivers a playable and mildly enjoyable campaign which im sure i will, no doubt, sit on my couch, play it through once missing all the challenges because I can't be stuffed and then recycle it for store credit at my nearest JB-HI FI. Expand
  85. May 30, 2013
    homestead missions are tedious, you have to do the homestead missions in a spesific sequence. the item crafting it's good but send convoys to trade them it's crap.
  86. Apr 8, 2013
    as for the boring beginning the firtts gameplay is great really great,
    nice combat moves and graphics buts thats about it as for you progress you se that youre enemys wil counter you counters and you have no way to kill them before the others schoot you like a dummy
    as for the missions yea read others critics there pretty much the same on that
    i loved the game until i got further and
    so its become a dissapointment and fails at its core for what it is entertaiment as i begain to play the against enthusiasm and removed from my pc a waste Expand
  87. Dec 28, 2012
    AC3 has its own story and should not necessarily be compared with the previous AC storylines. What was needed was more missions. Yes, there is a bit too much dialogue, and I disliked the interruptions into the Animus/Desmond scenes more than I ever did before. The naval battles are great. Overall, it deserves a score of 9. Playability is great on a PC especially if you've played the previous AC series. I have played it twice and enjoyed it more the second time. Expand
  88. Dec 31, 2012
    The fundamental gameplay is still there for AC3. The addition of sea battles and a ship you can work to upgrade was great. The revolutionary period was an awesome stage for the 3rd AC3 and final in the Desmond storyline. That's about it. Storyline was botched and it is very easy to see where and how corners were cut to push this game out. After playing and honestly enjoying the first 2 offerings from this franchise AC3 failed to match up and had the feeling it was rushed through production. From lots of glitches in fighting, free running and maps to an economy system that was very hard to understand. Then you get to the disappointing and short ending. Its time for us to expect more out of these blockbuster franchise games, it will net a fortune regardless of critic review but the long term prospects of subsequent releases will suffer due to its unpolished nature all in order to save a dollar now. Expand
  89. Jan 1, 2013
    For me, this has been the most anticipated game since Vietcong 2 (which sadly, also bombed) back in 2005. Since the first Assassin's Creed, I have been a huge fan of this series, although (to be fair) slightly let down by Revelations, which in my opinion was way too short, and the first follow-up to let me down somewhat. With the Desmond saga building up to this undeniable climax, where "all will be revealed" and where patience will prove a virtue, making up for time lost from the Revelations story line... Assassin's Creed 3 plain and simply does not deliver.

Don't get me wrong, it's a gorgeous game... but to be honest, what with all the advances in technology, I'd be slightly bummed if it didn't look better than it's predecessors. However, this doesn't just look better, it's gorgeous. If I didn't know it before, however, I do know it now... no amount of gorgeous graphics can make up for a shell of a game, for that essentially is what this feels like. With Altaïr and Ezio, we were trained to learn how to fight; with Connor, we are informed (through cut scene cinematics) that we have trained; fighting is no less easy prior to training, and where taking on 30 men at once in any of the previous games could be construed as perhaps having a bit of a death wish, in AC3 this is no problem what so ever (even without weapons, and prior to "training"). Fighting has become so easy that there now is little to no incentive (unless the main mission design demands it) to try a stealthy approach.

When starting the game, you are informed that the Animus software has been upgraded; less jumping "the wrong way at the wrong time", in short just better control. This is either a blatant lie, or proof that Ubisoft never hired gameplay testers for this project. Never touch the jump button, and you'll be fine; touch it, and... well, it's at your own risk. Getting hurt isn't that big of a deal though, because no matter how hurt you get from falling (or fighting), as long as you aren't dead, your health quickly (and yes, we're talking really fast) regenerates to full. Being able to run off the ground, up in the trees is at times really cool. It is, however, at times equally frustrating to find that that one branch that looks like you should be able to stand on it (because you just a second ago stood on an identical one), doesn't think you should be able to stand on it. This is particularly evident in cities, where sometimes you jump into the tree, sometimes you jump through it.

It's hard to figure out just what peeves me the most about this game. It could be that it's the first game ever that has forced me to get up off my ass, walk over to the 360 and manually restart it because the game had frozen up on me, or it could be that the first time I load into New York and finally get to that part of the game, I loaded up under a bridge, under some dirt, in water, with only one direction (the wrong one, naturally) being open for movement, resulting in desynchronization. It could be that every single "training" mission, introducing me to new skills and game options, has been utterly useless (read: that which you train, is in no way central to the game, and if you don't actively seek out these things, you will not have to do them again), or maybe just that riding a horse is pretty much impossible unless you stay on the road. It could be that those "run through buildings" doors and windows that were advertised as so cool and special, are far and few between, or it could be that the game only ever feels open and free when I'm not doing a mission (entering a village from the wrong direction will not trigger the needed cut-scene and thus the game will not proceed). Maybe it's that the "marker" on the screen is some Animus-styled almost invisible shimmering that you will not see unless you're really really close, or maybe it's that the Desmond part of the game is so skimped on that it feels like it might as well have been left out.

All in all I think my disappointment with this game all boils down to it being chalk-full of bugs and glitches, the controls feeling wonky and the gameplay very unbalanced. The storyline is far from as engaging as has been the case with the previous editions, the lead character is bland and forgettable, memorable characters are few and there is little cohesion between the Animus world and the real world. A lot was advertised, and little was delivered. With the past four games holding such high quality, naturally there were high expectations... but sadly, very few were met. If you want a linear cinematic that looks great, but don't care too much about playability (or just don't care about your time and money), then by all means, get the game. If you want playability, value your time and money, and ultimately don't want to be let down by the Assassin's Creed series, watch the Desmond and precursor story on YouTube and avoid the get the game.

AC3 in short: a huge disappointment.
  90. Jan 3, 2013
    I am a fan of the assassin's creed series but I hated this one. First of all the new character has the personality of a cardboard box, unlike Ezio, Connor is overly serious all the time. Also the combat feels just like it did before, parry, counter, kill. I also found the story boring, the one sided American revolutionary plot is so biased it made me cringe. The first 4 hours give you freedom, the game never really recovers. The free running is bad, there are so many glitches. Assassin's creed 3 had so much potential but something went very wrong in making this game. Expand
  91. Jan 3, 2013
    As a hardcore Assassin's Creed fan, this game was a huge disappointment compared to the others. The story-line in this game is alright, and the naval combat is quite good, however many things from the other Assassin's Creed games have been dumbed down, or completely taken out. This game almost felt completely different compared to the others.
  92. Jan 5, 2013
    I'm about 15 or 20% through now. It plays like this - Walk 10 yards, cutscene, cutscene, walk 5 yards, cutscene cutscene cutscene etc. Then later you run a couple of hundred yards for more cutscene after cutscene. It's really gettig on my nerves.
  93. Jan 6, 2013
    When you open the Assassin's Creed III main menu for the first time, and you had played the whole series, wou will see an enormous difference, but when you open the single player history mode, you can see that Ubisoft made a real copy of all the others games. You can see innovations, of course, but you can't see a huge innovation. It's cool that Connor can climb trees, but it isn't that cool. Same thing when he takes two weapons at the same time, but the good work that you've made with a single hidden blade on the first Assassin's Creed is good enough. But one thing you'll miss is the character. Connor isn't a charismatic guy like Ezio or disciplined like Altaïr. He's so easy to forget that you won't even remember his name after finish that game. I'll say that Assassin's Creed III is one of the best games made by Ubisoft, but almost all of the fans of the Assassin's Creed series are disappointed after buy that game. Expand
  94. Jan 6, 2013
    Buggiest AC game EVER!!!
    Lacks the minor missions the previous AC's had.
    What I hate most about the game it is buggy -_- just WTF Ubisoft...
    Funny thing is another Ubisoft game is buggy aswell Heroes Might and Magic VI.
  95. Jan 10, 2013
    Grande flop della casa canadese Ubisoft .Rispetto ai suoi predecessori (Assassin's creed 2 e Assassin's creed brotherhood) non tiene il videogiocatore incollato allo schermo, se non per i primi 5 capitoli.Grafica davvero pregevole , come d'altronde il sonoro ,ma questi sono elementi relativamente importanti dato che il gioco è monotono e privo di innovazione.
  96. Jan 9, 2013
    You know... I'm the fan of the seria but I'm still critic. And as for critic and as for fun inside me Assassin's Creed III left more strange feelings which mixed with kind of ectase and "FUUU RAGE". Multiplayer almost the same as was, but we still have little bugs, which helpfull for professionals, new COOP that doesn't change anything ( believe, it's not a thing you should buy a game for ) and some new skills. Very Small amount of maps and almost all they are very bad and boring. And characters... But Abstergo Archive is very usefull - you can open new horizons from it by using skills for opening a content. Event are good part too.
    But Multiplayer it's not the MAIN part of the game. Singleplayer is very strange. Story doesn't feel like one part. Sometimes it's very boring, misunderstandable and really disgusting, but next minute you can't stop it because you're srawn in it fully and this is one of the strangely thing. New graphic, director's cutscene - yes, they cool, but why Ubisoft ruin all mechanic from previous games? Why level-design is so damned horrible for missions? And this Synchronization tasks with stupid lagging checkpoints? Rage was my sister that time...
    On the other side - naval missions, very emotional and unexpected story with some boring moments, yes they are sometimes, new hero that can't be not so popular as Altair or Ezio cause his character is crashed by scenarists and make more negative emotions in you than positive. And bugs, lags etc... They still here.
    What I'm trying to say. Assassin's Creed III - is a result of commercial style of Ubisoft. Very ambitious but in many aspects it's twisted or broken, but still it has very emotional connection with a player what wasn't previously. It has very cool animations and setting, good design and live world, where you can hunt and make money. Good village missions and very nice personalities as Ahilles and Haytem, Lee and crying Washington. It's good, but could be more better.
  97. Jan 12, 2013
    Impossible, even with limitations. There are an atmosphere and good music. Good combat, really, even simple.
    Why I love the whole assassin's creed series? Cause it stunning.
  98. Jan 12, 2013
    It may be good on a console but on a PC it is a complete rip-off. This is yet another bad port from UBIsoft (you'd think by now that I'd start to know better) to the point where I find the positive reviews suspect. The fact that the game is heavy isn't the point. The fact that even the most basic controls are barely functional is. The screen will say push "E" to pick up a musket and you can push that key until the cows come home and that musket will remain on the ground. The missions are kinda boring to be honest and the lack of save/load functionality means you will have to replay long boring sections of the game if you have any kind of life outside games and can't dedicate hours at a time to gameplay. Avoid this game on PC. Expand
  99. Jan 16, 2013
    Speaking in great franchises, Assassin's Creed is one of the biggest of them. As the end of an trilogy. It was expected to an fan-double-tastic ending which actually didn't happened. The campaign is very good worked with good characters but not so much worked. If you play the game you'll notice that the protagonist is not so good as Ezio or Altair, but if you think, is really very hard to introduce a new main character to an game like that. Due to the new engine, Assassin's Creed is in one of the best graphics in 2012, the controls kept the same scheme, but a kind of "so boring" you know? In this game climbing is so easy, making no difficult in the game, it's just press a button and go forward. The combat is kind of simple, using only counter-attacks to kill up to 87438975 enemies at time. These and other characteristics that makes us all miss the controls and difficulty of AC2. But still a very good game that worth your money. Expand
  100. Jan 17, 2013
    This game came included with my order of a GTX 660 Ti and I must say it was simply a dog turd included in the box. The downloading process was painful. The DRM is total bull****. The framerate was craaaaap! Everything went to **** after the boat arrived in the town, city or whatever. 20 fps on high settings! Wtf! Why include a game with my graphic card that doesn't even run on it? How was Ubisoft allowed to sell this broken pile of hippopotamus dung? If a game is unplayable, it's just not worth playing. Ubisoft, you're blacklisted to me. Expand

Assassin’s Creed III proves to be, despite its promises, a rather indecisive game. It comes with so many strong elements, that it could have been the best Assassin’s Creed ever, but it fails to harmonically balance those elements. [January 2013]
  2. Jan 29, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 3 offers a spectacular way to fill in the blanks in your knowledge of the American Revolution - it never holds back on scope, drama or action.
  3. Jan 23, 2013
    What, no French revolution? For Europeans, birth of the United States is not really very interesting time nor environment. And after Ezio (or Haytham Kenway), Connor is bland, irritating protagonist. Game is also full of chores that add very little to the experience. [Jan 2013]