6.1

1. Dec 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SPOILER WARNING - This game was "RUSHED". I have absolutely loved every AC game prior to this (with some exception to ACR), and the buginess of the PC version can attest to that even though the PC version was released weeks after the console versions. Questions...why is Valley Forge in the middle of Massachusetts (Go to VF in the frontier then look at your world map)? Why is George Washington portrayed as some weak imbecile? Why did they lead us to believe this would be the last game in the series when they clearly set it up for another trilogy? Ubisoft really dropped the ball on their flagship series. I wouldn't mind waiting until after 12/21/2012 for a better game. Dear AC fans, we are now officially being milked... -___-; Expand
  2. Mar 2, 2013
    Try as I might, I really can not enjoy this game. I don't know if it is the setting (not American, so don't care for the setting); the combat; Connors brilliant sack-of-bricks charisma and personality; or what. I just can not, for the life of me, enjoy the game. I've tried multiple times to play it, and enjoy it... but it is the dullest of the AC games so far. I wish I had bought it on xbox, so at least I could have traded it in and replaced it with something enjoyable. Expand
  3. Nov 30, 2012
    they ruined ac series with this abomination. Cities are boring, street after street looks the same. amount of guards on the streets/ roofs( ??) is ridiculous . Even in the middle of forest there are 9 men patrols walking in circle guarding snow. No idea why they made soo many of them, since you can kill them without slightest problems. Fighting never been so easy, still its ridiculous how many times you have to stab opponent to actually kill him. Main character is just some random dude, not even close to being so charismatic as Ezio. Missions are uninteresting, most of people I'm helping out i would rather leave to death. This game is much worse then Revelations and thats kinda a achievement. Expand
  4. Jan 15, 2013
    This review is based having not got very far in the game at all, I've given up and uninstalled it - something I hardly ever do after spending significant cash on a AAA game. The most frustratingly annoying section a few hours into the game gives you a mission where you have to free some captives from three locations, two around a fort and one group on a ship. Now, it doesn't matter how many times I tried to do this, always I would get detected at the last minute, for reasons completely unknown to me, you then desyncronise and have to go through the same process again, and again and again. The enemy AI is not consistent at all. One time I was able to kill a guard at the same spot and no one noticed, the next time the AI guards decide to turn round at that exact moment. I've played I don't know how many stealth games, such as Deus Ex: HR and Dishonored, so I know what stealth-action is all about. However, AC3 does not allow for even one small deviation from what I've seen. The first few hours were ok as an introduction, but still a lot of cutscenes and glitchy combat. Sorry, I know my review score might well be better had I played more, but I think I got through 4-5 hours and then decided that was enough. Pff, disappointing! Expand
  5. Dec 26, 2012
    COTSCENE kill 5.... COTSCENE walk 5 meters... COTSCENE press one button... COTSCENCE. 3 for the facial animations and the blood... fap fap fap +1 for the ship fights. the rest mehhhh. I am curious what's next on ASSASSins LOST!? Who's responsible ****
  6. Dec 23, 2012
    Honestly, I could almost copy my Far Cry 3 review over here since this game suffers from the same issues. AC3 as well is a prime example of mass produced casual garbage. It also suffers from a complete lack of creativity and vision, not to mention the same dreadful casualisation that aims to take all challenge out of the game and make everything so simple that even a monkey who fell as baby from a tree and badly hit it's head could do it. Why I'm giving it a higher rating than Far Cry 3 (Rating 1)? It's because the world is a little more immersive and you at least don't see blinking weapon and ammunition vendor machines in this game. Expand
  7. Jan 17, 2013
    This is one of my least favorite games so far within the franchise for a few reasons. Firstly the environment in comparison to the previous games is extremely bland, in comparison to the characters in the past their is no investment or reason to care about Connor and his story due to lack of personality and character growth. The start-up of the game is extremely slow. past the point of any story pacing and seems like a huge few hour delay before the game actually begins. The big staple of the series mechanics in the past were to use rooftop access to escape pursuers, but in this game you are penalized for it extremely as in within moments you'll have dozens of guards hone in on your position, while that is annoying enough when your at a distance their rifles magically and tremendously increase their firing rate. The campaign is broken in comparison o the other games in the series and can be buggy when climbing trees, ala Connor grabbing a hole in the tree on the third try doing the exact same thing ive been doing. The only upsides is the games combat is more fluid due to change of controls with different button mapping for the controller users. Multiplayer sees some ups and downs in this entry also with the inclusion of a more robust customization system. But once again that suffers from a environmental downgrade. Expand
  8. Jan 26, 2014
    The perfect example of how to NOT make a sequel

First, AC3 feels least like Assassin’s Creed game. From the overly specific full synchronization mission objectives to the walk-between-cutscenes missions, the player is stripped of the sandbox style of play. The game forces you to play a predetermined style, which rids of the fun. In fact, the entire game plays out like you are more of a
    soldier than an Assassin.

Connor is the least strong of the AC characters and I actually found him quite annoying. The game is rather shallow in that it does not delve at all into the Creed or Brotherhood, but only that it exists and is there to stop the Templars.

The game lacks any polish. First, the game suffers from poor mechanics. Fluidity and consistency are the biggest problems. While there is the random ledge grabbing and haphazard horse controls, the combat is the biggest misstep. I use to love the combat, but in AC3 it is tiresome. The counters work like half the time. The gunplay ruins any flow. I died so many cheap deaths because of the odd mechanics. Second, there are more glitches in bugs in this game than in any other game I’ve played, which is sad for a blockbuster franchise like AC.

Next, the extras do not tie into the game whatsoever. I completed the game without doing any extras. I did not find them fun and rather unnecessary unlike previous installments where I did everything. They were not explained well. Also, I did not see weapon upgrades or costume upgrades.

Other serious complaints are the rather terrible fast-travel between zones, strange menu design, and the insanely long 4 hour tutorial at the beginning of the game.

The Assassin’s Creed franchise is one of my favorites and AC2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I found so much disappointment and squandered potential with AC3.
  9. Dec 4, 2012
    Great story and setting, very well told, but it contains quite a lot of bugs, and the controls can drive you really crazy at times, which is especially annoying in long missions, where you die at the end and are then placed at the start of the mission. Most missions do have checkpoints though, so it's only a few (really annoying) missions who suffer that problem.
  10. Dec 1, 2012
    The 3rd work that destroyed wonderful series. From very troublesome craft systems, poor subordinates, and anything, stealth is used well and it has not become an invigorating game. There are a stealth game of the company and a big difference.
  11. Nov 23, 2012
    This game is not bad, but I'm already tired of the same cities in the game. Graphics of the game is even worse than in the second part. I think that this game is ported from the PS Vita.
  12. Nov 28, 2012
    Good: Pretty good story line, not a common scenario that you would see in other games. Graphics are good. Cities look realistic, definitely captures the feel of the era. Weapons are pretty cool. Fast travel has been added in more places than just the tunnels. The money systems have been revised, it takes a little more effort to make cash now. Haytham is a very well done character and really good voice acting. The naval battles are awesome, easily the most enjoyable part of the game for me.

Bad: Very linear, yet jumpy story. There isn't a lot of creativity involved in what you do. Combat is great if you love cinematic kill shots, not so much if you enjoy honing your skills to get better. It's basically block when the warning thing pops up and mash the mouse button. It's often hard to pick up dropped weapons while in combat. There are some higher level AI that you fight that seem to just headbutt you and reverse your blocks making you just want to shoot them to end the hand to hand combat. Crafting seems very scattered and doesn't make much sense, why am I crafting barrels again? You will probably get stuck in the crafting menu until they get it patched. Lock picking... wtf. Doesn't make any sense at all. Your horse will likely get stuck inside of things frequently, but no big deal you can just call another. Better make sure you setup your shortcut key to the horse whistle though because your equipped weapons change by themselves. You may try to call a horse and wind up shooting a patrolling redcoat in the face. You can't just blindly jump from a viewpoint because it doesn't automatically line you up with the soft haystack at the bottom, this becomes annoying when you do the tree viewpoints and can't see the ground. Remember all those amazing underground puzzles in the past AC's? Yeah, none of that here. The main character isn't very likable. He's kind of an arrogant dick head to everyone. Achilles's story doesn't really end with a bang. Seems like they just ran out of time and forgot about that part. The story outside of the Animus is just out of control. It's not immersive and mostly leaves you with more questions than answers. The thing that frustrated me the most I'd say was the movement. The cities are designed to look more realistic, but unfortunately that means that rooftops are harder to traverse. Everything is very spread out, and it's hard to stay in the air for very long. The climbing seems to have been dumbed down a bit, when you want to climb it works nicely. If you're just trying to run away on the ground you will probably end up trying to climb the food cart or tree that's vaguely close to you, causing you to be surrounded. Graphics look nice, but aren't quite optimized. I have a decent rig, but there are lots of stutters especially when entering the big cities. At the end of the game, I'm very disappointed. I'd consider this the worst game in the series. So much potential, but not properly utilized.
  13. Mar 31, 2013
    This game is OK! Its nothing special or awesome. Its also not very bad. In my opinion this game is a bit too long. (I didnt read the story after 20% of the game, quiet boring this stuff). In the end the cutscenes are too often and too long and the worst you CANT skip them. Thats not what i wrong from a good game you still need a skip button. I dont want to see the credits, iam not intrested in them but you cant skip them. (fail) The game has good graphics but the hair from characters are just terrible, even GTA IV had better hair. Also the controls are not very good. In some missions you need to sprint but sprint is also the climb button so sometimes you climb stuff up that you didnt even want. There are also no marks in missions. (I often failed because of that). Iam happy that i didnt buy that game. I got it with my new PC. Thats not a great game. It have some positiv some like the openworld, graphics in some ways, also minigames etc. etc. Never played AC1/2 and i wont play AC4 its not that good. Expand
  14. Jan 2, 2014
    This game has no ambition. They tried to coast on a well-known brand and plaster a series of stale mechanics onto a lifeless setting. There are a few sparks of creative energy, but by and large, it's not worth the slog through the soulless husk that is the Boston and its surrounding wilderness--a region, you would think, almost impossible to make completely devoid of interest. Somehow, they managed.

The gameplay and graphics are passable, which saves this game from total disaster. Give it a pass unless you are obsessed with the genre, in which case, prepare to spend the rest of your life on a collection quest for the 100 pieces of your broken soul.
  15. Mar 8, 2013
    Aside from the naval battle, everything else in this game is complete crap. Aside from the naval battle, everything else in this game is complete crap. Aside from the naval battle, everything else in this game is complete crap. Aside from the naval battle, everything else in this game is complete crap.
  16. Mar 14, 2013
    This is by far the worst, or rather said, the only bad AC game. Not only is it set in a boring time, with boring citys, storys, people, weapons and armors, but the citys are so small that there is almost no climbing at all. I cannot believe this is an AC game. They need to go back to the roots, keep the new graohics but go back in more interesting time zones.
  17. Mar 8, 2013
    Getting to the forest as Haytham Kenway and not being able to run in the trees made me laugh because of how racist it seemed. Anywho, the game is pretty riddled with glitches at some points and I'm not one for wanting to redo the same level twice in a row for something I have no control over. I wouldn't play it again personally, but Assassin's Creed has always been interesting before this installment. Expand
  18. Apr 15, 2013
    Well, still the same like Part1. Nothing special. A cool setting, indeed, but that´s all. No improvements in Gameplay, the stroy isn´t lame but also not great.
  19. Apr 29, 2013
    As a long time fan of the assassins creed game series, i was seriously disappointed with this game, while the graphics and physics were great and i have to admit the premise of the game sounded very intriguing. it just didn't play out that well at all. The game has many bugs and glitches that make game play rather annoying at times but as these have been covered in many other reviews i wont get too into that here.
    Now what really p***d me off about this game was, well for starters it almost seemed as if they had 2 teams working on the game, one making assasins creed 3, and another clueless to the series making an rpg based on a young native boy trapping and selling furs, and they just mashed them together, for example, gone is any resemblance of the stealthy sneaking around and assassinating people, this game is far more about button pounding hack n slash battles against 20-50 gaurds at a time then you have the completely annoying naval missions which wouldn't be so bad if they were just side or optional missions, but no this was a main mission in the story the ship controls were horrible and very difficult to get passed and again, wtf does this have to do with assassins creed? Then you have this whole thing of hiring craftsmen and workers to fill a town to make goods for you to sell, gather resources, craft items, etc etc,, LOOK, if i wanted to play minecraft, id play it, i wanted to play assassins creed 3, no such luck this time though.
    Anyway i could go on and on about how bad this game is, I will just say, if you never played assassins creed before, check it out you might like it, however if you are a fan of assassins creed, do not get this game as it will ruin it for you.
  20. Oct 31, 2013
    I really enjoyed the combat, graphics, and everything about the game with one exception: the plot and the time you spend out of the animus. The plot to this story is full of holes while you play as Conner and every time I had to waste time out of the animus, I tried to get back into the animus as quickly as possible. Just play the level where you climb the skyscraper again and ask yourself: who designed this? Hint: it has a garage door 200 stories high. Expand
  21. Jul 25, 2013
    I can't believe assassin creed series would fall so far after reaching its heights in assassin creed 2 and brotherhood.......AC3 introduces a new hero but the storyline I think is one of the most boring in the series but at least better than AC revelations(yeah ...that was the worst)....The gun mechanics were not good to say the least and the fighting mechanics weren't as refined as they were in AC2 and brotherhood...... Expand
  22. May 29, 2014
    Even now, so long after release a horrible, unplayable broken mess. Glitches around every corner, spazzing out people everywhere, pop-in and pop-out of people, even when they're standing next to you (on an impressive PC). Bad optimization, they still haven't killed off Desmond either so he's still in the game with his dumb **** face trying to make sense of what's going on - a total and complete loss of power and an artificial way to keep the overarching story still going. The Desmond story is like a miscarriage, it was sort of alive when it popped out, but brutally deformed and right now the parents act like it's still alive but really it's just dead, uninteresting, and a bloody mess. Haytham as a character is phenomenal, but is replaced within the first 3 minutes of the game with an uninteresting, arrogant (not in a funny way like Ezio) nitwit who doesn't have the slighest clue of what's going on. Horrible game, only finished it because I loved the previous ones and want to play the 4th one.

But honestly, even if you're a big fan, skip this one. Please, for your own good.
  23. Jun 25, 2013
    Terrible AI, game breaking control system (even on a gamepad it's dire) and absolutely terrible combat system. I've no idea how they managed to go so downhill from AC1.

Waste of time and money.
  24. Jan 30, 2013
    Yet another disappointing installment in what was once an amazing series. It is very strange to say, but this game is extremely well-done in almost every way you could imagine. The graphics are exquisite. The story is reasonably compelling. The characters are interesting. The voice-acting is decent. It is a clever tapestry of fiction and history woven together well enough that you might have trouble separating the two (uhm...that could also be considered bad, I guess). The naval side-missions are so much fun that they deserve to be their own game. And yet, I had trouble even getting through 40% of the game. The reason? The uninspired, painfully simplified gameplay mechanics. This game has a ridiculous amount of gloss Expand
  25. Nov 22, 2012
    Gorgeous game, game-breaking controls and AI.

First off- every British soldier in this game is a master marksman with XRAY vision and the reaction speed of a fighter pilot. Jump from one building to another, you just alerted a guard who was standing below you who takes aim- shoots you in mid air (1.5 seconds airborne from one building to the next) and using his IPHONE notified every
    single British in Boston to your EXACT location- Every British soldier converges on your location and using their extensive PARKOUR training they all leap from building to building to kill you. All while moving around the base of the building underneath you constantly tracking your location with their XRAY vision.

This coupled with the fact I have 1600 pounds and cannot buy a new outfit so I'm not the ONLY NATIVE IN BOSTON. While every soldier is on the lookout for... a native.
  26. Dec 23, 2012
    AC3 is an exercise in frustration. I know that I am in the minority here, but I hate this game. Which is shocking, considering that I love the all of the other AC games (yes, I even liked Revelations despite its flaws). I feel that the Ubisoft Montreal has been trying to pack more and more activities into each iteration and this has taken focus away from the core mechanics put into place in AC1 and refined to perfection in AC2. Not that I minded the extras built into each chapter, I just found that Brotherhood and Revelations were veering into territory that moved away from what made AC2 great.

AC3 has obviously been designed with the 'more is better' school of thought in mind and I for one am getting tired of the focus on quantity over quality. In this case, less would have been more. The characters are worthless (including Connor and Desmond), the story felt hacked together like the writers had no idea where to take the series after Ezio, and the missions are rubbish (despite what reviewers are saying). I can only think of one or two that were actually entertaining. Oh, all of the praise that is being heaped on the 'naval' missions - it is essentially Sid Meier's Pirates but more modern. Not one thing in this game is revolutionary and despite all of the raving going on about how it is an achievement for the series, I actually found that AC3 is more linear and less entertaining than the first AC game, just more awkward and confusing. Combat is rubbish, pathfinding is rubbish, running around the forest is NOT fun after the first ten minutes, the cities are bland and not very fun, there is no room for your character to grow, items in game are super expensive (seriously, 24 bullets costed 2000 pounds? Really?). The list goes on...

Why are people raving over a game that really should have taken a critical lambasting for being lazy and rushed?
  27. Jan 26, 2014
    It's such a shame that Ubisoft decided to make Assassin's Creed a yearly release title. The result of that decision has slowly led to the demise of the franchise and AC III is the prime example of that. AC was once one of my favorite franchises, but now it has been reduced to a mere shadow of its former self. First, the pros: AC III has great character models, animations, and cutsences. That's about it for pros. The cons:
    The setting is great, but it just doesn't work for an AC game. Remember when this franchise was about sneaking around and stabbing people? Yeah, not anymore. Now you get guns and are constantly expected to fight through hordes of enemies. AC needs to go back into history and stop coming to more recent time periods or it will further destroy the franchise. The gameplay itself has been revamped and now it's worse than before. Combat isn't nearly as fluid or fun as it once was. The game holds your hand for over 4 hours of playtime as it shows you tutorials for things that you will never do throughout the game. IT showed me how to hunt, but not what the purpose of hunting is. It showed me how to craft things and sell items, but i never had more than $4000 in my wallet during the entire game. Remember when the story was the focus of the AC games? The story hasn't made sense for several games, but now it is worse than ever. I had no idea what was going on in the present day Desmond storyline and if i wasn't student of American military history i'd have no idea what was going on in the historical Connor storyline either. The missions are boring and repetitive, the open world is useless as i never felt compelled to explore and i'm usually the person who would go through the entire game intending to get 100% sync by finishing every optional objective, obtaining every collectible and so forth. But this game was so boring i couldn't bring myself to even attempt that. On top of all this, the game is absolutely riddled with bugs and glitches. Every single mission had a problem with it somewhere. Whether it was a mission breaking bug where i couldn't continue, clipping issues, or the part where every time i open my accounting book to manage my property, the game would freeze and i'd have to shut down the process with task manager. SO much for that part of the game! Guess i'll never be able to upgrade my house! AC II is a complete travesty. Casual games looking for a fix and die hard AC fans alike should steer far clear of this disgusting game.
  28. Feb 9, 2013
    You spend more of your time traveling between places and doing other boring stuff than actually assassinating people and doing other assassin-y stuff. I am almost at the end and never bought anything from a store because they are not visible on the map, also only way to make money is through a tedious process. Plus the confusing battle controls, etc. I liked the previous games, but am disappointed with AC3. Expand
  29. Mar 5, 2013
    This game is a real dud of a game. The only two interesting game features in the game are the ship battles and the decent combat. All story and side missions suck and the game is full of bugs, waiting around and meaningless drivel. I am fan of AC2 and Revelations but this installment is completely skippable and uninteresting.
  30. Jul 9, 2014
    Bugs, bugs and more bugs. And full synch is just free frustration, some constraints force you to play 200 times what doesn't deserve one single playthrough. Worst release of the franchise, by far.

Assassin’s Creed III proves to be, despite its promises, a rather indecisive game. It comes with so many strong elements, that it could have been the best Assassin’s Creed ever, but it fails to harmonically balance those elements. [January 2013]
  2. Jan 29, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 3 offers a spectacular way to fill in the blanks in your knowledge of the American Revolution - it never holds back on scope, drama or action.
  3. Jan 23, 2013
    What, no French revolution? For Europeans, birth of the United States is not really very interesting time nor environment. And after Ezio (or Haytham Kenway), Connor is bland, irritating protagonist. Game is also full of chores that add very little to the experience. [Jan 2013]