7.6

1. Nov 19, 2013
    The Assassin Creed Franchise has had its up and downs, but ACV is absolutely an up. This game is extremely fun and I recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the previous games. The ship combat has improved and the graphics are beautiful. This game is probably my favorite in the franchise so far.
  2. Nov 19, 2013
    People are funny (or is that just PC gamers?). Yes, yes, yes it has some minor technical issues (FPS) that will need patching, but these are expected for a game with this much scale. I felt that depressing feeling during the opening cutscene and tutorial island when the game wasn't as smooth as I'd hoped. Once I boarded my ship and headed to Havana, things improved and confidencePeople are funny (or is that just PC gamers?). Yes, yes, yes it has some minor technical issues (FPS) that will need patching, but these are expected for a game with this much scale. I felt that depressing feeling during the opening cutscene and tutorial island when the game wasn't as smooth as I'd hoped. Once I boarded my ship and headed to Havana, things improved and confidence regained (unlike my hairline). AC:BF is very good. The map is HUGE, the graphics (some frame rate drops) are excellent, the sound passionate, the naval element well implemented, animations are fabulous, cutscenes and voice acting some of the best i've seen and the game is simply fun. Greatly improved from AC3 and with so much to do and collect, it's gonna take a while to see all of it. This is my new favourite AC game. Enjoy. Expand
  3. Nov 19, 2013
    A lovingly created masterpiece. Each element seems handmade, the gameplay mixture of assassins creed, Sid Mier's Pirates! a dash of Zelda wind walker, and a pinch of Farcry 3. It is HUGE in scope, a fully realised open world. The companion App on iPad works like a dream. As of now this is my personal game of the year.. It is a true video game classic a must buy and the best thing toA lovingly created masterpiece. Each element seems handmade, the gameplay mixture of assassins creed, Sid Mier's Pirates! a dash of Zelda wind walker, and a pinch of Farcry 3. It is HUGE in scope, a fully realised open world. The companion App on iPad works like a dream. As of now this is my personal game of the year.. It is a true video game classic a must buy and the best thing to happen to the franchise since Assassin's Creed 2. Expand
  4. Nov 21, 2013
    Among all the AC series that had been released, this sequel by far is the best one ever. No doubt Ubisoft seems to have done a very good job in fulfilling customer's request for features in game that was first unveiled in AC3 but was not polished well which was naval warfare. Honestly, when AC3 came out, the naval warfare was one key feature that really attracts me the most but I was a bitAmong all the AC series that had been released, this sequel by far is the best one ever. No doubt Ubisoft seems to have done a very good job in fulfilling customer's request for features in game that was first unveiled in AC3 but was not polished well which was naval warfare. Honestly, when AC3 came out, the naval warfare was one key feature that really attracts me the most but I was a bit disappointed because it only appears as side missions and players don't have much choice to sail to other places and uses it as a mean of transports for exploring. However, AC4 really revamped that whole concept and brought my wish to real. For me, the open sea free-for-exploration with a ship is the best selling point for AC4. Never in my entire life have I seen a game that managed to handle naval warfare very well. It is too awesome. The ability to sail across the sea, stop by islands and explore them seamlessly without any boundaries, engage in epic naval battle and board the ships are the best key features for me. Playing the game somehow kind of reminds me a bit of Pirates of the Caribbean especially during the naval battle. Plus the new engine in the game which allows for spontaneous storms and huge waves to occur really added to the realism and epicness of the game. Seriously I wouldn't mind if the next AC5 continues on the sea exploration concept. In fact, I really hope they would retain naval exploration in the next installment. For anyone that has not played any Assassin's Creed series before, I think this installment is the best way to start with. It's like GTA but in a pirate settings in the caribbeans. Expand
  5. Nov 21, 2013
    I have played them all and this is my favorite one by far! it is bigger in every way (map, history, complexity)
    I would give it a 9 but due to all the scrubs giving low score for no reason...
  6. Nov 20, 2013
    Great game! One of the best of the year. I didn't care for past couple of AC games, but with the open world sailing and pirating, it feels like a different game. I love just sailing around, the world is beatifully rendered on PC (AMD 7970).
  7. Nov 21, 2013
    The best AC game yet. So much better than AC3's campaign. Large beautiful world to explore, variety in the gameplay with land sea and underwater and a seamless transition between these modes, lots to do and find. Missions are less linear gameplay wise and stealth is improved. Multiplayer game lab is an excellent addition.
  8. Nov 22, 2013
    This game is a lot of fun, and way better then ACIII. The more I play it the more fun I am having. I am slowly traversing the story because there are so many side things to do. Out on the seas sailing your ship its incredible! This game is Huge! Will keep you all sorts of busy. If you haven't bought it yet, I suggest you do! Maybe wait for a Steam Fall Sale (thanksgiving time?) or SteamThis game is a lot of fun, and way better then ACIII. The more I play it the more fun I am having. I am slowly traversing the story because there are so many side things to do. Out on the seas sailing your ship its incredible! This game is Huge! Will keep you all sorts of busy. If you haven't bought it yet, I suggest you do! Maybe wait for a Steam Fall Sale (thanksgiving time?) or Steam Holiday Sale (typically X-mas time)!!! Expand
  9. Nov 20, 2013
    This is the best assassin's creed game i ever play. I soo love pirate concept and it's SANDBOX!!! But best thing is naval combat! I recommend evrybody ITS AWSOME!!!
  10. Nov 22, 2013
    This game is absolutely a masterpiece. Very rarely is it ever that I enjoy a game as much as I am enjoying AC4. They have added countless things, a very intricate naval system, and the graphics are outstanding! This is exactly what the Assassin's Creed franchise needed to make the game fresh again.

The voice acting is amazing, the graphics are outstanding, and the characters really grow on you. I haven't been as emotionally invested into a video game character as I have become with Edward, since AC2 with young Ezio. Anybody who picks this game up, I can assure will thoroughly enjoy it, and another great thing that Ubisoft did was, instead of making the pirates how most people view them, they made them exactly how they were in the Golden Ages.

What really pisses me off is all of the people who are giving this game negative reviews. I can assure you that not one of the negative reviews is actually about what the game brings to the table, which is WHAT REVIEWS ARE, they are not about you not being able to run the game. People are complaining saying "Oh, this game sucks, nothing to see here, it doesn't even run properly." Wrong, actually these people just have terrible graphics cards and need to stop crying and get their parents to buy them a new PC. I can run this game fully maxed constant 60 fps. Then you have some people who say this game has terrible graphics and rate it with 0. I don't know if these people are delusional, playing on low settings on a 240p monitor, or just feel the need to cry about something because of their terrible childhoods.

To anyone who is contemplating on purchasing this game, it is a must, and I can assure you that as long as you aren't a child, mentally retarded, or like to complain because your upset with your current life status, then you will have some of the most fun you ever will with a game in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.
  11. Nov 22, 2013
    First of all I would like to say OFF HATERS, now, with that done lets get into the actual review.

The game starts of like many others have with you being chucked right into the mist of battle and expected to know what to do, and from there on its pretty much what you would expect from previous games until....... you get your first ship. This is were the game flourishes, ship combat

This is were the game flourishes, ship combat is so well refined and not to mention my favorite part is ship boarding, when you attack a ship enough its disabled and you can board it and slaughter its crew, THIS IS SO FUN!

The sound is ok, I found a few times where the sound of a sword hitting an enemy what out of time with the action itself, and the sword sounds are much quieter then what they usually are, the musics pretty good, there are some new animations which give a feel of "A new assassin".

The story seems ok so far, nothing special but walking around in Abstergo Industries is nice because god rays nice colour pallet Nice Place.

I was planning on giving this game a 9.5/10 only because of the screen tearing im getting, I run the game on a gtx 670 and am playing it at optimal settings for my PC and if I enable V Sync that just drops my frame rate harder then the anchors in the game, the reason im giving it a 10 is to offset all the haters, this game is a massive UP for the series, it took a small element from AC3 and made it the sole chemistry for AC4, ships.

Again, OFF HATERS.
  12. Nov 24, 2013
    I'm relatively new to the AC line of games; they never appealed to me because of their strong console port setup. I got AC3 free with a new graphics card last year, so I gave it a whirl. I wasn't too impressed, although the graphics were good. There were tons of control related glitches, mostly pertaining to the fact it was a poorly done port from the console, i believe. This was after theI'm relatively new to the AC line of games; they never appealed to me because of their strong console port setup. I got AC3 free with a new graphics card last year, so I gave it a whirl. I wasn't too impressed, although the graphics were good. There were tons of control related glitches, mostly pertaining to the fact it was a poorly done port from the console, i believe. This was after the game had been out for a while and had all the DLC out, so it's like they didn't even care to patch it to full functionality.
    AC4, however, exhibited none of these technical flaws so far. I've played the game about 38 hours and have been having a great time. I havent had any crashes, lock ups, frame rate drops (the settings are all on ultra/high) and things are great. I love pirate games like the classic sid meirs (sp?) pirates! game from early 90s on the com64. It's rare to find a good pirate game, and this has tons to do.
    I love upgrading and customizing my ship, weapons, clothing etc to fit my playstyle, and just sailing around the huge sandbox attacking ships is also fun.
    There are some things that could be improved, but for what it is (a console port) it is awesome. The people that are saying it's the same as AC3 with pirates are being ridiculous. Of course a lot of the same things from other AC games are going to be in it, it's another installment of the AC franchise. If they changed how everything worked people would cry about that. If you read most of the reviews, the complaints are petty. It runs great on my mid-level machine maxed out, plays better than the last AC, and is Pirates!!!
  13. Nov 22, 2013
    Absolutely one of the best games i've ever played, a very huge world to explore and a very gripping story, brilliant naval combat, and it's well optimized for NVIDIA cards.
  14. Nov 26, 2013
    Well I'm a long time fan of AC, but have been rather critical of some of the historical settings, which we have been presented.
    Where AC would have gotten a 7 this setting and all the new features has blown me out of the water.

Best pirate game ever love sailing (instead of that irritating horse and discovering loads of secrets.
    Absolutely great graphics and wonderful ideas.
  15. Dec 2, 2013
    To be honest, I have never played an assassin's creed game before, so if you are a die-hard AC guy, you may disregard my review as I cannot compare it to others in the franchise. I really enjoy first person shooters and I never cared for 3rd person games. However, I have to say that this game really blew me away. The graphics are absolutely top notch and I really enjoy the story. InTo be honest, I have never played an assassin's creed game before, so if you are a die-hard AC guy, you may disregard my review as I cannot compare it to others in the franchise. I really enjoy first person shooters and I never cared for 3rd person games. However, I have to say that this game really blew me away. The graphics are absolutely top notch and I really enjoy the story. In fact, they have put such a great effort into even the most minute details that I am shocked. For example, I speak Spanish as I have lived in Spain and the people in Havana speak with the Spanish dialect as you would expect within the historical context. The sea battles are brilliant and the game is just damn fun to play. I haven't finished it yet, but wow am I enjoying it. It has been a huge surprise and I highly recommend it to everyone, even FPS players. It does contain some similar elements to Far Cry 3, but it is a much better game. I can't tell you the last time, I just enjoyed a game for the scenery; which I often do when sailing in AC4. Expand
  16. Nov 25, 2013
    I have been a long-time fan of the Assassin's Creed series. Black Flag does not disappoint. What I look for in a game is how long I can play it until it gets old. I'm over 20 hours in, haven't beaten it, and am still having a blast. The only downside is tailing and eavesdropping missions, and even those include the new style of stealth Ubisoft has incorporated into the game. I love theI have been a long-time fan of the Assassin's Creed series. Black Flag does not disappoint. What I look for in a game is how long I can play it until it gets old. I'm over 20 hours in, haven't beaten it, and am still having a blast. The only downside is tailing and eavesdropping missions, and even those include the new style of stealth Ubisoft has incorporated into the game. I love the stealth system in Dishonored and Farcry 3, and Assassin's Creed IV comes close to the same level of quality. Now for the rest of the game. You will find yourself swinging from ropes and boarding ships with explosions around you, dual swords in hand, slicing up British to your heart's content. The combat has been made noticeably smoother and the same with the naval combat. There is so very little wrong with this game; it amazes me how critics take those small errors and take 20 points off of a game's score. Expand
  17. Nov 26, 2013
    Better story than the rest of the series better graphics and gameplay overall improvement and graphics are realy realy good played 27 hours not finishes story yet but one of best games played this year surprising with the amount of good games this year
  18. Nov 30, 2013
    Don't listen to the haters AC IV has nice visuals great game-play (naval battles are very good) great story and a incredible ending. AC IV is a must if you are a gamer.
  19. Nov 30, 2013
    As a veteran of the AC series I am so glad that the mis-step of AC3 has not been repeated. The setting is lush and beautiful to play in and I'm enjoying the gameplay which is in part familiar but with a beefed up emphasis on sailing which I wouldn't have thought I would enjoy but have done. No problems with it running flawlessly for me on an AMD card in hi res for everything looksAs a veteran of the AC series I am so glad that the mis-step of AC3 has not been repeated. The setting is lush and beautiful to play in and I'm enjoying the gameplay which is in part familiar but with a beefed up emphasis on sailing which I wouldn't have thought I would enjoy but have done. No problems with it running flawlessly for me on an AMD card in hi res for everything looks stunning. Halfway through and enjoying it as much as AC2, the best in the series so far. Expand
  20. Nov 29, 2013
    As much as PC gamers are neglected in the gaming world, this game is just as good if not better than the others...for PC. If you love the assassins creed series this is a must buy, if you own more than 1 im sure you have them all and know this already. Its really a shame corps don't adhere to PC gamers more than consoles, I guess more people buy consoles since the younger generation are toAs much as PC gamers are neglected in the gaming world, this game is just as good if not better than the others...for PC. If you love the assassins creed series this is a must buy, if you own more than 1 im sure you have them all and know this already. Its really a shame corps don't adhere to PC gamers more than consoles, I guess more people buy consoles since the younger generation are to amateur for PC skill but that shouldn't stop devs from making good pc games. heheh ya I said it, consoles are for amateurs. Any true PC gamer knows what I mean Anyways excellent game for PC, not a garbage port like so many others. Expand
  21. Dec 5, 2013
    My favourite game in 2013. Wonderful graphics, long playtime with a huge open world to explore. Beside the main quest lots of gameplay variations with mini games, hunting and much more.
  22. Dec 20, 2013
    I love game!
    Assassin's Creed IV is NINJA Real Awesome!
    i play Boat Pirates nice! bigger map nice have fun!
    ------------------------------------------
  23. Dec 25, 2013
    I went into this game not expecting much, as in the past Assassin's Creed games were not as satisfying as I'd hoped. On the contrary, this game incorporates much more than just running around a city, climbing walls, and performing assassinations. Unlike it's predecessors, the game is actually very open and allows for the player to explore a vast world unseen in the franchise up to thisI went into this game not expecting much, as in the past Assassin's Creed games were not as satisfying as I'd hoped. On the contrary, this game incorporates much more than just running around a city, climbing walls, and performing assassinations. Unlike it's predecessors, the game is actually very open and allows for the player to explore a vast world unseen in the franchise up to this point. To be honest, I had lost much of my faith in the Assassin's Creed franchise due to it's previous lackluster titles, but AC4's Edward Kenway has restored hope for this series. The story itself draws you in and takes for a ride you would never expect. All in all, I would highly recommend this game to a friend, especially if you ever played and liked "Sid Meier's Pirates! 2". Expand
  24. Nov 23, 2013
    I think most gamers who visit Metacritic have learnt to ignore the typical fools who give ridiculously low scores due to inadequate hardware or pirate versions of the game that either don't work properly or are simply not up to date.

For those that want the typically honest, straight-up review from myself, pull up chair for a simple one. Combine the "I fancy messing around for a

Combine the "I fancy messing around for a while" freedom of GTA with the beauty and crafting of Far Cry 3 and the cast of Pirates of the Caribbean oh, and add the usual Assassin's Creed and you've got Black Flag.

Up until this point, Assassin's Creed has pretty much been the same old thing; which is not a problem for those of you who, like me, enjoy the games. But, to be honest, after a hour or two of ACIII I'd had enough, the enjoyment I had from the first two games was completely gone. Ubisift must of detected this stale feedback of ACIII and obviously decided to really mix things up, and wow, what a result!

So, you've got your usual Assassin's Creed gameplay, you know, running around towns, killing guards, blah blah blah, and then you've got what is, quite literally, the best depiction of naval adventure and battle that's ever graced a computer. Once you've completed the introductory bits (usual AC sort of stuff) you basically get your own warship and crew and then you choose to do whatever it is you want to do, be it following the game or not.

Sailing, treasure hunting, swimming, diving, harpooning, bar brawls...........and on, and on.....

Assassin's Creed Black Flag simply puts the fun back into AC, fun that left the series after ACII.

Oh, and if you've got a decent rig (GTX 670+) then you're in for a visual masterpiece. The towns look better, the shadows are better, the animation is better, the details are better and the water? Well, it's spectacular, combined with very good time of day lighting and outstanding weather effects. Audio is also extremely good. The PC version (which already far surpasses what the PS4/XBox One can achieve) is also receiving a Physx patch for even more effects.

With an i7@4.2Ghz, GTX 680 and 12GB RAM, I'm running it completely maxed (apart from High Env quality and Low God rays) at 2560x1440 and it runs at a smooth frame rate; granted, not 60fps solid, but a very acceptable and more than playable 40-45fps.

Just make sure to disable VSync in game and run D3DOverrider, forcing VSync and TB.

I don't often give 10/10 for anything in life, but when there's nothing else quite like Black Flag available, it is truly epic.
  25. Dec 11, 2013
    in my opinion the best assassins creed game in the franchise, although the game is bad optimized for pc i could run it on a 50-60 fps on ultra 1680x1050 with my r9 290, the story is well written, the game is dark and heavy, the gameplay is much improved, the characters are good, and the naval combat is better than ever, i loved ac3 and gave it a 10/10 and most of you didnt like my opinionin my opinion the best assassins creed game in the franchise, although the game is bad optimized for pc i could run it on a 50-60 fps on ultra 1680x1050 with my r9 290, the story is well written, the game is dark and heavy, the gameplay is much improved, the characters are good, and the naval combat is better than ever, i loved ac3 and gave it a 10/10 and most of you didnt like my opinion but for me ac3 is now 7/10 compared to this, but i am giving you a warning, this game is very bad optimized and i guess not everyone have a card like r9 290 or gtx 780 so if you have a low end card stay away from this game, i tried the game on my other pc with a low end card and it was very slow and unplayble, but for the end assassins creed iv is the best in the franchise and i reccomend it to everyone that have a decent pc that can run the game on 30 fps on any setting, (if you want to know check your card benchmark on ac iv in youtube)the best in the franchise in my opinion Expand
  26. Nov 30, 2013
    Although I wasn't a major fan of AC3, Black Flag is absolutely fantastic! They have focused entirely on gameplay to make it fun and exciting. NO downtime, quick action, mission to mission to sidequest in no time at all. It's the very best bits of all the past AC games made better, and rolled into one. Absolutely one of the best game's i've ever played. Well polished and awesome fun!
  27. Dec 31, 2013
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is the best part of ALL, 10 out of 10 even with "poor" pfs (i5, GTX690 average: 45fps) I'm sure that after 1st patch game will be optimized in 100%. THE BEST ADVENTURE, PIRATE GAME EVER
  28. Dec 24, 2013
    I had played 2 of the Assassin's Creed games before this and found them...wanting. From annoying control issues to lack of variety, they seemed to fall short of the ambition.

This game, however, is brilliant. Brilliant as in a brilliant work it has faults many of the same that plagued the earlier games; Running to chase someone? Let me start climbing a wall you don't want to. Trying a stealth mission? Allow me to make your character do stuff you don't want him to just so you are discovered. The side plot outside the "dream" is hackneyed and uninspiring.

But.

The main game is the "pirate" game I have been waiting for since excitedly unpacking my ZX81 33 years ago. Sure, the sailing isn't realistic but neither are the land based parts. There are "mini games" that would have constituted a full game 8 years ago from the ship fleet management to the whale/shark hunting.

Naval combat is a joy to play and the missions, varied.

Some missions are too difficult I find the stealth/following simply too hard, but the game has so much else going for it that it doesn't annoy me in the same way as, say, GTA IV did.

So, despite its flaws, I feel it would be churlish to give this game anything less than 10/10.

I bought BF4 shortly before this. The game I keep coming back to is this and I *love* the BF series.

I am enjoying the plot and the acting is, in the main, of a high standard.

I alt tabbed out of the game to write this review so I'm off back now. It does this perfectly too and so far (touch wood) hasn't crashed once.
  29. Dec 4, 2013
    Ubisoft took all wrongs from AC3 and made them right.
    AC4 has a much more immersive and intriguing world. The naval combat and exploration are very enjoyable, mission aren't as repetitive and give you MUCH more freedom.
    Edward is also a very interesting character. You see him mature and become a better person. Character development is very good. Overall this game is fun and you will
    Ubisoft took all wrongs from AC3 and made them right.
    Overall this game is fun and you will find yourself spending much more time in it than you probably expected.
  30. Nov 24, 2013
    This game surprised me! I thought it'll be just a little continuation of AC3, but the game is a hole new world, a very beautiful world. The sea battles are awesome! And the game is very optimized to PC. Perfect!
  31. Dec 4, 2013
    Best Assassins Creed game yet, its a new idea carried out perfectly for the Assassins Creed title. The exploration is endless and starts almost immediately after you start the game. I highly recommend you buy this game if you love Assassins Creed and limitless exploration and activities.
  32. Dec 30, 2013
    this year, with the release of the next AC game, ubisoft changed the way of its franchise. Assssin's Creed IV Black Flag was one of the best action adventures of this year and in every part, the game was perfect. The graphic had a lot of improvements and it was a way better than the previous title. The beauty of this world is amazing and it takes you to the world and you really feel thethis year, with the release of the next AC game, ubisoft changed the way of its franchise. Assssin's Creed IV Black Flag was one of the best action adventures of this year and in every part, the game was perfect. The graphic had a lot of improvements and it was a way better than the previous title. The beauty of this world is amazing and it takes you to the world and you really feel the world. The seas and every place in this game is beauty. The gameplay has a lot of improvements and it is more expanded and you really enjoy playing the game. New weapons, having a crew and a ship and plundering other ships, upgrading the ship and face stronger enemies, exploring and finding new places and are the beauties of this massive world. The world in Assassin's Creed IV is the biggest in the franchise and there are a lot of other side activities to do in the game. The story is a little far from the origin of the game but it is cool too, being a pirate in the high seas and have adventures in a lot of places...
    at all, Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag is one of the best games in the franchise and one of the best games of 2013.
  33. Dec 22, 2013
    I've been with Assassin's Creed since the blunder that was AC1. To see it evolve into such a comprehensive game over the years is an amazing experience. Black Flag offers more of the same. A lot more. And it's all pick and choose to do what you like. You can get through most of the game without having to deal with things you don't want to, but if you enjoy exploring the waters, there isI've been with Assassin's Creed since the blunder that was AC1. To see it evolve into such a comprehensive game over the years is an amazing experience. Black Flag offers more of the same. A lot more. And it's all pick and choose to do what you like. You can get through most of the game without having to deal with things you don't want to, but if you enjoy exploring the waters, there is plenty for you to see.

The ship combat is very enjoyable. I didn't like the cumbersome ship combat in AC3, but it's very different in Black Flag. It's smooth, engaging and entertaining. The story is good, the characters are well written and the sheer scale of the world is mindboggling.

It's like GTA with boats!
  34. Nov 25, 2013
    Who like AC have to play this one. Its the best AC Gamer so far. It has the same Problems like every other AC, with melee combat and sometimes climbing. But its nothing compared to the good stuff this Game bring up. Nice Quests, good Voiceacting, alot more animations in combat. They reduced the Watchtowers and added nice stealth mechanics, with overworked enemy/spot system. With everythingWho like AC have to play this one. Its the best AC Gamer so far. It has the same Problems like every other AC, with melee combat and sometimes climbing. But its nothing compared to the good stuff this Game bring up. Nice Quests, good Voiceacting, alot more animations in combat. They reduced the Watchtowers and added nice stealth mechanics, with overworked enemy/spot system. With everything maxed out, this Game looks just beatifull and runs so smooth(GTX 670). Stunning graphics, Light-Shadow..everything. "Currentgen" Port to PC and what a nice one. Shipbattles are just Fun too, amazing Water (visuals and physics). Its a realy good AC Game with alot of Content and funny new stuff. Expand
  35. Dec 11, 2013
    Ok, naval combat is arcade, not simulation. Yes the mechanics are the same as usual, with very few innovations. Yes the game feels easy most of the times since you can counter anything and so on...

Still this game has some magic, even with it's flaws. AC titles have always been full of details and this one it's way the better by this criteria. Some missions are boring, and the

Still this game has some magic, even with it's flaws.
    AC titles have always been full of details and this one it's way the better by this criteria. Some missions are boring, and the achievement madness is still there.
    Gameplay is good because it may totally be affected by one fundamental thing: the way you want to play it. You can win missions in a ton of ways, and you may enjoy the aspects of game the way you prefer. The game is incredibly polished, and the story BEHIND what's going on in the caribbean (if you don't know, every AC game is set on a double world, the present and the past) keeps you there wanting to get new material and unveil the facts you are still not aware of. In the game itself you'll find many many things to do, and most importantly, you'll see BEAUTY... Yes, i mean it. Frankly, i'm a huge fan of pirate themed stuff. I played every game on this theme, and while every each one had it's pro and cons, none had the thing that i enjoyed the most on this title: The feeling of being deep in the pirate era: the landscapes of the isles, are them big and covered with vegetation or loose low sand ones... the pirate crew singing pirate-ish songs (or not, while you can mute them with a screamed order!) while cruising through the waves of an late foggy dawn... Cruising your ship in a huge storm or through a placid clear sea... all these things are priceless.

If i where to compare this game with other titles, i really would say this game should be put in the league of Skyrim, while being HUGELY better. Since the latter is aswell a game for exploration, history and arcade combat, i think the comparison should be true. This game won't leave you disappointed if you are seeking for something beautiful to try. Still, if you already played earlyer AC games and are seeking for something dramatically new, then you may not find it. The work have been done in other directions, clearly.

For those arguing this is a bad port, you may not listen to them. Yes, this title may be ported, but you would not see that. This game is well ported, no bugs or annoying feature, and i won't say more.

MULTYPLAYER: the multyplayer mode it's quite chaotic. Since i've not tried that deeply i'll only say that there have clearly been done a lot of work around it. It has potential.

GAME CONS: While being an huge game full of content, as someone said sometimes it feels repetitive. You don't see this only in the scripted missions which are very similar most of the time, but also in the models. I believe that both the necessity to sell it for consoles and the vastness of things to be crafted and polished, led to a general lacking of variety in each one of the many aspects of the game (ship models for example).

GENERAL CONS: Game has it's downs too. For instance Ubisoft force you to start the game through his annoying "Uplay" service, (yet if you want to play it offline you can, but without the special content you may have bought; "hey ubisoft, i've payed for it, what do you mean i cant unlock it offline? are you mocking me?" I won't argue politics here, i will only say that i had to literally fight with the Uplay software to make it work, since it was not working in the beginning (some conflicts with system files). Also, the game is clearly full of buyable content, making you wonder how much of it would be in the game itself if this marketing trend where not so fully adopted by the company.

BIGGEST CON of the game, to me, was the general feeling that the lack of modding support, make this a ruined masterpiece. It's like you wonder if something like this game could be modded to be enriched, or converted into a simulation game... This game is so near to what i've always dreamed about, that it frustrates me so much. Why so few ships? Why fantasy ships? Why frigate on spanish army? Where are the Dutch, the French and the portuguese? Why wheren't you able to put accourate historically ships ingame? are you kidding, ship rams? Why can't i switch a captured ship with mine? Why so limited access to the ship itself? why only 5 things to trade? Why aren't there different types of cannonballs? You'll keep asking yourself these questions againg and againg.

but you will enjoy the game nonetheless.

9 out of 10 for me. (I am really surprised myself to have found a game so entertaining).
  36. Dec 18, 2013
    I have not played any of the previous versions of Assassin's Creed, but I have become hooked on Black Flag. The graphics are awesome and the story engaging, the only reason it doesn't get a 10 is because the missions and tasks become somewhat repetitive once you get into the meat of the story. Well worth the buy!
  37. Dec 2, 2013
    This is one of the best pirate games i ever played and It's the best assassin's creed of all time. I humbly recommend this game if you're an assassin's creed & a pirate fan
  38. Dec 2, 2013
    Even though this is very far from what I would have imagined as a sequel to the Assassin's Creed I played in 2008, it's hard to blame the game for this departure from the original. AC4: Black Flag is over the top entertaining and one of the most addicting games I have played in a long time, while still looking absolutely stunning, even on low-end machines. Except for the controlsEven though this is very far from what I would have imagined as a sequel to the Assassin's Creed I played in 2008, it's hard to blame the game for this departure from the original. AC4: Black Flag is over the top entertaining and one of the most addicting games I have played in a long time, while still looking absolutely stunning, even on low-end machines. Except for the controls (controller recommended) the game is very well ported to the PC and runs very smoothly. Expand
  39. Dec 16, 2013
    This game loses a SINGLE point from me for its lack of PC optimization. As much as I enjoyed the Black Flag experience, I cannot ignore that. Ubisoft definitely needs to shift some focus towards making their games more enjoyable across a broader range of machines.
    Looking beyond the obvious optimization flaws for PC, everything else was phenomenal!
    AC4 carries over all the things that

AC4 carries over all the things that made the past titles a success, but it was the story of this installment that absolutely blew me away!
    However, I can't help but realize that if I did not have a prior knowledge of the Golden Age of Piracy, that I would not have been able to understand, or enjoy, the story as much as I did. For instance, several scenes seem to expect you to know what will happen next to someone considering the tone, even though the game never touches on it itself. I would have never known what happened to Stede Bonnet if it was not for my history class, and it added a lot of impact and drama to an otherwise uneventful moment.
    If you were already familiar with popular figures from the Golden Age of Piracy, like Teach, Rackham, Bonnet, Vane, Black Bart, and Anne Bonny, your going to be blown away by this re-imagining of their stories.

Despite the enormous amount of entertainment I got out of this game, I definitely want to critique a few key points for the sake of future improvement; The Island that you consider home and can invest resources in to improve, Inagua, is just as useless and unrewarding as the Homestead feature from AC3. They need to do more with these places of interest; Spending 90% of the game on the high seas, it was extremely disappointing that the ship Haythem took at the beginning of AC3 was still more detailed than the Jackdaw. You cannot enter the inside of the ship, and the only recognizable and unique person in your crew is Adéwale from the upcoming DLC himself. It would have added much more depth to be able to have familiar faces on the ship to feel more connected to and protective of; And also, Kenway's Fleet. This trade/revenue system was similiar to the old ones, but tedious and boring compared to the trade system and assassins guild from AC3.
    Those were the 3 things I had really wanted more from in Black Flag; A more rewarding and innovative homestead feature; A better detailed crew and ship to sail with; And a less tedious Kenway's Fleet feature.

ALSO: Multiplayer is still amazing to play in this installment. AC Multiplayer is an incredible and unique experience that too many AC players overlook.
  40. Jan 13, 2014
    It was an awesome start but a very underwhelming build up at the end, After two patches the game finally looked as good as the next gen games on my PC with the GTX 660 ti but it has frame rate issues in the jungle but outside in the sails it runs okay. I liked Edward more then any of the past assassins creed character but Ubisoft should of just made a stand alone pirate game with the mainIt was an awesome start but a very underwhelming build up at the end, After two patches the game finally looked as good as the next gen games on my PC with the GTX 660 ti but it has frame rate issues in the jungle but outside in the sails it runs okay. I liked Edward more then any of the past assassins creed character but Ubisoft should of just made a stand alone pirate game with the main character then making it as an Assassins creed game. I personally had fun in this game but if you dont care about the story too much, its a blast but I do hate getting out of the Animus part. I just hope they just make a good Pirate game and just forget about the Assassins Creed series altogether. Expand
  41. Dec 23, 2013
    The last few Assassin's Creed games hasn't been so satisfying, but THIS one goes straight to the top on the list of awesome games! I really enjoyed this game and find myself still playing after completing the main quest, because i want to keep plundering, fighting and improve my ship. The main story line was extremely good. The entire game itself was incredible, everything in the game justThe last few Assassin's Creed games hasn't been so satisfying, but THIS one goes straight to the top on the list of awesome games! I really enjoyed this game and find myself still playing after completing the main quest, because i want to keep plundering, fighting and improve my ship. The main story line was extremely good. The entire game itself was incredible, everything in the game just makes sense, and is so well done. Expand
  42. Dec 28, 2013
    If you enjoyed Sid meiers Pirates as well as the AC series, then this game is a piece of heaven for you.

When I was younger I played Sid meiers pirates and this has all the features of that wonderful title that I spend days off from work to play. Ship upgradeability, a fleet, simple trade, in addition to more management features from previous AC games but this time for ships in your fleet. Its pretty cool I wish there was tutorial however for these menus. I have been finding features by accident.

As they did with Farcry3, ubisoft has created an enormous, atmospheric expanse to sandbox around in while taking bites off the main linear storyline. The ships are wonderfully portrayed, the emerald seas are rolling and unforgiving at times and the ship to ship battles, including boarding and harpooning are well done and intense. I spend most of my time at sea in this game. Knowing the ground based AC game is still always there is really a lot of game for your dollar.

I give this game a 9 out of 10 it deserves it. Its addictive and fun.
  43. Jan 13, 2014
    Probably one of if not the best game I played last year. Graphics are phenomenal, really do the Carribean justice, fun combat system, plot is entertaining, cool historical perspective.
  44. Jan 9, 2014
    i loved assassins creed 1 - especially the character altair - and assassins creed 2. i was kind of dissapointed by the sequel in the war of independence. the story was boring - and the only charismatic character, connors father, turned out to be one of the bad guys. ok. but ac 3 is just great .. the atmosphere, the graphics and voice acting. it is near superbness .. but: there are flaws,i loved assassins creed 1 - especially the character altair - and assassins creed 2. i was kind of dissapointed by the sequel in the war of independence. the story was boring - and the only charismatic character, connors father, turned out to be one of the bad guys. ok. but ac 3 is just great .. the atmosphere, the graphics and voice acting. it is near superbness .. but: there are flaws, such as bugs. and there is many of them. maybe that´s fate of open world games .. Expand
  45. Dec 30, 2013
    An exceptional addition to the AC franchise. Visually stunning with smooth, familiar game mechanics and a decent enough story, Black Flag provides an open world that allows you to do what you want, when you want. Follow the storyline, or don't there's plenty to do and see. Those who miss the big city and big climbing aspects of AC and AC II, etc. may still be left wanting, but AC IVAn exceptional addition to the AC franchise. Visually stunning with smooth, familiar game mechanics and a decent enough story, Black Flag provides an open world that allows you to do what you want, when you want. Follow the storyline, or don't there's plenty to do and see. Those who miss the big city and big climbing aspects of AC and AC II, etc. may still be left wanting, but AC IV brings a different dynamic to the table and does it well. The singular disappointment (for me) is the deep sea dives. What should have been a chance to explore shipwrecks in a gorgeously rendered environment ends up a clunky and confusing race from scores of sharks and eels which give you no time to enjoy the hard work that went into these moments. Expand
  46. Nov 27, 2013
    a) don't read the obvious fake 10s
    b) don't read the obvious fake 0s
    This game is great... I haven't bought an AC game since the 2nd one... Skipped AC3 and I have to say LOVE this... Like the reviews say it's less "in the real world templar assassin nonsense" and more pirating! Best pirate game I've ever played (and I've played a few!) Naval battles are really quite
    a) don't read the obvious fake 10s
    b) don't read the obvious fake 0s

This game is great... I haven't bought an AC game since the 2nd one...
    Skipped AC3 and I have to say LOVE this...
    Best pirate game I've ever played (and I've played a few!)
    Naval battles are really quite spectacular (as are naval base attacks)
    It's just plain fun...
    And ignore all the fakery about not being optimised and all that jazz it looks stunning, plays stunning and if you have half a decent rig it'll be as next gen as it's going to get! (not quite the next-gen look I was hoping for but getting there!)
  47. Nov 29, 2013
    I have played all of the games in this franchise, but this game is by far my favorite. AC3 was a little bit of a let down, but this game is fantastic. Ship combat is extremely fun and the graphics are stunning. I have had absolutely no issues with this game whether it is fps or screen tearing, and people that do should probably update their rigs. 10/10 because i found myself playing forI have played all of the games in this franchise, but this game is by far my favorite. AC3 was a little bit of a let down, but this game is fantastic. Ship combat is extremely fun and the graphics are stunning. I have had absolutely no issues with this game whether it is fps or screen tearing, and people that do should probably update their rigs. 10/10 because i found myself playing for five hours straight without a single minute of boredom. Anyone who has been a fan of the previous games, this is a must have. Expand
  48. Dec 3, 2013
    Amazing game play!. Fantastic Graphics! great story line. an amazing game all a round! Best game of all the assassin creeds by far! the huge open world and ship combat is just beautiful.
  49. Dec 5, 2013
    I have nothing to say cause Ubisoft once again made an awesome game. This game just made me remain speechless. I still wonder how many people gave negative rating. It is a must have game and recommended for all the assassin gamers
  50. Dec 24, 2013
    The Assassin's Creed series has had a hard time during the last few years, the first few games with Ezio and Altaïr were a huge success and a really fun, enjoyable experience. But during the last few years the experience has become less enjoyable due to a poor story and bugs and glitches. But this is a great kickstart to a brand new series of amazing and enjoyable new Assassin's CreedThe Assassin's Creed series has had a hard time during the last few years, the first few games with Ezio and Altaïr were a huge success and a really fun, enjoyable experience. But during the last few years the experience has become less enjoyable due to a poor story and bugs and glitches. But this is a great kickstart to a brand new series of amazing and enjoyable new Assassin's Creed games. I recommend Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag to anyone who is a fan of the Assassin's Creed series or pirates. This is also a great game for those who wish to get into the Assassin's Creed series because this is truly a new standard Ubisoft has set for their games. Expand
  51. Dec 29, 2013
    I have had this AC for a few days now, and I am already totally immersed.The game is a HUGE improvement over the last game (which shall not be named) Black Flag takes the naval combat from AC3 and makes it more or less the main aspect. The controls for maneuvering your ship are responsive for the most part, sometimes trying to use your fire barrels may be a hassle. There is so muchI have had this AC for a few days now, and I am already totally immersed.The game is a HUGE improvement over the last game (which shall not be named) Black Flag takes the naval combat from AC3 and makes it more or less the main aspect. The controls for maneuvering your ship are responsive for the most part, sometimes trying to use your fire barrels may be a hassle. There is so much content on the map.Finding buried treasure and collecting songs for your crew are some things to do. Hunting from AC3 has been kept in the game,you can use the animals for crafting or sell them.But hunting gets really repetitive after a while. The new addition of harpooning sea creatures helps add variety but this too gets repetitive.The story is not the worst nor the best, and that keeps my review from getting a 10. Expand
  52. Jan 14, 2014
    well for me i found this game just pure awesome, but i still had a few problems like
    1. a bug at the ending
    2. the story wasnt as good as the old creeds, like enzio well he is the charecter in the francise, but for me edward
    the naval gameplay was epic and basically the backbone of the game, fighting machanics were set right and the sound track was awesome
    in conclusion must buy
  53. Feb 23, 2014
    This is DARN FUN, well-developed, high quality game. The graphics are gorgeous, the story line is compelling, there's tons of side stuff to do to burn away hours of your time. It IS repetitive in the side missions and the little accomplishments like collecting Animus fragments and shanties are boring as hell -- but you don't have to do them. Buy now and you won't regret. I don't know whatThis is DARN FUN, well-developed, high quality game. The graphics are gorgeous, the story line is compelling, there's tons of side stuff to do to burn away hours of your time. It IS repetitive in the side missions and the little accomplishments like collecting Animus fragments and shanties are boring as hell -- but you don't have to do them. Buy now and you won't regret. I don't know what the neg reviewers are smoking but they need a new connection. Gfx look gorgeous at 2560x1440 highest settings. Expand
  54. Feb 8, 2014
    Amazing soundtrack, so glad AC series shifted from lame music of Jesper Kyd to Epic Orchestral style music. Good Job Ubisoft. (Had to oppose those trolls who apparently liked lame compositions by Kyd which i absolutely hated, but i guess its a matter of perspective and you kids cannot judge the game by music which apparently only you cant handle)
    Anyway besides that this game simply out
    Anyway besides that this game simply out shadows the series gives you hope that something good can come out still. I think this game to its predecessors is what AC2 was to AC1. It simply makes you forget about real world and get lost in the world of Caribbean full of pirates. Occasional bugs here and there but they don't irritate you at all, and sometimes they simply give you laughs. I wish my Laptop could handle graphicks on higher settings, but even if you crank up medium setting, you still ge to admire the effort Ubisoft put in improving their engine. (Water looks almost as real as crysis 3 cudos Ubi). Im not even third way through the story (which is intriguing and very interesting) but I already put almost 50 hours in this game just exploring the amazing world. Also Kenway Fleet is terrific and gives a fresh new perspective to assassin training that AC Brotherhood introduced (instead of rescuing assassins you raid powerful battleships to make your fleet stronger). Oh most importantly the game also has areas where you have to solve puzzles and climb through very beautifully crafted caves (this is where AC3 blew for me). there is also harpooning treasure hunting, fort raiding, MEGAShip battles, etc etc etc. Kudos Ubisoft glad i didnt pirate this game (:
    Hope this helped and haters gonna hate anyway...
    Good Day
  55. Feb 5, 2014
    Of all the assassin's creed, I've played, this is the best of all. Not boring like the previous ones, and has a different style of play for every aspect of the game and the naval battles are awesome! The pirate atmosphere then make it fun!
  56. Nov 17, 2014
    I will start by saying sword fights and ship battles are very cool. Graphics look good for a game like this. It's better than unity. The looting and such are cool, upgrades, crafting is nice but the difficulty is so tough, you can spend 5 minutes sometimes in an easy sword fight. The bugs don't get in the way of gameplay, plenty of settings for just about everything. The chess game isI will start by saying sword fights and ship battles are very cool. Graphics look good for a game like this. It's better than unity. The looting and such are cool, upgrades, crafting is nice but the difficulty is so tough, you can spend 5 minutes sometimes in an easy sword fight. The bugs don't get in the way of gameplay, plenty of settings for just about everything. The chess game is awesome.

Here's something I just cannot get away from. Some mission's will have you chase down someone throughout a city, objects and little seller's, hideout buildings and ladders, etc. sticking out into you're running path makes you're character grab a hold of everything he gets close to and starts climbing it like a monkey and you've lost the person you were chasing after. I like how you can jump around like a monkey all over the city but it can get annoying when you're character wants to climb onto everything and doesn't want down.

Giving 9/10.
  57. Mar 2, 2014
    I have had great doups about ubisoft games since they fail sometimes but this game.... while having some terrible tearing issues and Vsync doesnt work properly, it's still the best game I have played for long time!

Last time I had that gread experience was HL2.
  58. Nov 26, 2013
    A definite improvement in graphics! This AC is a mixture of Skyrim with Far Cry 3 you can't get bored. If you want to sail and fight on the seas, you can. If you want to travel on land and kill a few bad guys, you can. Lots of places to explore, including underwater. Some geography lessons are needed, though, since Havana in reality doesn't have mountains around it. I do miss the AssassinA definite improvement in graphics! This AC is a mixture of Skyrim with Far Cry 3 you can't get bored. If you want to sail and fight on the seas, you can. If you want to travel on land and kill a few bad guys, you can. Lots of places to explore, including underwater. Some geography lessons are needed, though, since Havana in reality doesn't have mountains around it. I do miss the Assassin story and continuity, but after playing nearly 30 hours I have only gotten 25% through, so not sure if it will resurface later. In addition to the main mission, the side missions and the assassination contracts keep it varied. This is the kind of game you can play several times without feeling it's repetitive. Great job Ubisoft. Looking forward to the next one already! Expand
  59. Feb 3, 2014
    assassins creed 4 is an amazing game and a grand improvement over AC3. the map is just huge, one of the bigger games i have ever seen.the story is great. it isnt a heavy or too serious story, though it does have its great moments. the story is fun and interesting, and is supported by greatly written cast of characters. the characters are interesting and greatly help the plot. overall iassassins creed 4 is an amazing game and a grand improvement over AC3. the map is just huge, one of the bigger games i have ever seen.the story is great. it isnt a heavy or too serious story, though it does have its great moments. the story is fun and interesting, and is supported by greatly written cast of characters. the characters are interesting and greatly help the plot. overall i enjoyed the story it was written good and was fun.
    the gameplay is mostly fun. the games stealth system is greatly improved over AC3, but it still needs tweaking and it isnt as good as its supposed to be. the game has a lot of stealth, and the system just doesnt feel built for it sometimes. still some stealth missions are fun. the combat system is great. its fun and cool and the fighting animations are great. animations in general are top notch! from climbing to running the games animations are amazing. the graphics are also amazing, and its one of the best looking games ive seen. the engine isnt as powerfull as cryengine, but the game is so well made that it still looks spectacular. the sea, sunsets, citys and jungles all look amazing. jungles in particular have tons of detail, and the lighting there is great. the game in general is extremely detailed, much more than other games. given that this game is also so huge, there was a lot of effort built into it. naval combat is also great and fun. boarding ships does get repetetive though. even so its still fun. the draw distance is also spectacular. weather effects are, again, some of the best ive seen, especially the waves. the music in the game is mostly good and fits the game. when your crew starts singing its also pretty fun. the parkour system is overall great. you do stumble to your death for no reason some times, but overall it works pretty good. parkour on your boat is a bit annoying. underwater segments are also great and cool.
    EXPLORATION is a huge part of the game, and it is done masterfully. you allways want to find new locations and explore. finding collectibles in the game is also fun. in most games i dont care about collectibles, but in AC4 they are done really good. tailing missions and evesdrop missions are still in the game, and theyre annoying as ever.

overall this game is amazing and i cant praise it more. exploration is really fun, the design is great and the story is good. this is the ultimate pirate game. i highly recomend it!!!!!!!!
  60. Nov 25, 2013
    this game is amazing yes it is and could be the best game in the AC franchise but i don't understand this LAG problem no matter what i do it is there it would the experience much better but for it the gameplay is really good and the story too if you have a very pwerful PC then play this game if not you might not like it because of the problems in the end it is an awesome game and ithis game is amazing yes it is and could be the best game in the AC franchise but i don't understand this LAG problem no matter what i do it is there it would the experience much better but for it the gameplay is really good and the story too if you have a very pwerful PC then play this game if not you might not like it because of the problems in the end it is an awesome game and i would have given it a 10 out of 10 if they just fix this problem Expand
  61. Nov 23, 2013
    Great game. Haven't finished it yet but so far it doesn't disappoint. Only a couple of issues, the controls sometimes have a mind of their own (not sure if due to consolitis) and the game needs you to get heaps of money which can be tedious to achieve.

Other than that the graphics and the world are awesome, the story is good and no crashes at all which is a nice thing.
  62. Jan 26, 2014
    First i hear it was:"another pirate game,like another movies with pirates,boring!!!".but this game was a fresh air from old AC series.is like Farcry 3 with pirates.
    the gameplay is not perfect but fun,especially on islands and on the sea.the graphic have some problems because the game dont have triple buffering,but i can handle it and now its ok.
    Overall good game and very entertaining,a
    Overall good game and very entertaining,a good surprise for every gamer.
  63. Jun 12, 2014
    Assassin's creed franchise has taken a recent nosedive in terms of quality with revelations and AC III ..but this game has restored my faith in the series.. the game takes itself lightly and deviates from the assassins vs templar plot.. the best part of black flag is its naval combat and customization of the ship with good aesthetics and upgrades. its has a perfect balance with land andAssassin's creed franchise has taken a recent nosedive in terms of quality with revelations and AC III ..but this game has restored my faith in the series.. the game takes itself lightly and deviates from the assassins vs templar plot.. the best part of black flag is its naval combat and customization of the ship with good aesthetics and upgrades. its has a perfect balance with land and sea exploration with beautiful visuals. there r wide variety of activities to do other than the main story which i feel is repetitive in some parts of the story.. Expand
  64. Nov 29, 2013
    Once again Ubisoft have produced an outstanding game, one which I thoroughly enjoyed and can easily put on my top games list for 2013. I myself am a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed series, not necessarily for its combat and action packed world, but for the unique and mysterious storyline regarding Desmond Miles and the 'people who came before'. Throughout every Assassin's Creed game IOnce again Ubisoft have produced an outstanding game, one which I thoroughly enjoyed and can easily put on my top games list for 2013. I myself am a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed series, not necessarily for its combat and action packed world, but for the unique and mysterious storyline regarding Desmond Miles and the 'people who came before'. Throughout every Assassin's Creed game I find myself really wanting to know about the history of the first civilisation within the game, it truly is the one set of games I am completely fixated on.

Assassin's Creed Black Flag was a nice addition to the series with its enormous and interactive world, with huge emphasis on being a pirate and sailing the seas with your new ship, the Jackdaw. As a personal note, I was not overly impressed with the naval combat, and neither was I in previous games. I found the naval side of this game to be slightly too much for my liking. For example, there's a few missions where you HAVE to upgrade your ship in order to proceed with the mission which includes taking down ships. I was forced to spend a few hours just roaming the seas outside of the main storyline just so I could find resources and attack other ships in order to upgrade my own and proceed with the main storyline. Upgrading your ship is a hassling and tedious process, one which I hope they don't include in future games. Aside from this problem though, the rest of the game was fantastic. I recently got a new GTX 780 graphics card, meaning I was able to max the settings out for this game on PC, and it truly does look phenomenal. I also found the game to be very long, which is a good thing. With previous AC games I have completed the main story within 2-3 days (yes, I like to play them pretty solidly!), but with this game, it took me around 4-5 days, mainly due to having to upgrade my ship all the time.

As far as combat goes, there's no real change. The weapon system is still very much the same and there aren't any 'mind-blowing' additions. If you've played AC before, you'll fit right into the game without any issues. One thing I wish they'd do is bring more unique weaponry to the game, like they did in Assassin's Creed 2 (my favourite AC game). One thing I also loved about this game was the personality connection you gained with other characters. Black Flag really shows off a personal side to Edward (your character), and you develop strong relationships with other people throughout the game. This is by far the best way to captivate a gamer into a game, and with the great voice acting and facial animation, I felt very much like I was in the story myself.

Overall I loved it, despite the few issues it has. QUICK NOTE: There is a small sequence after the credits, so don't quit the game before the credits end!
  65. Dec 3, 2013
    This game is quite refreshing since the mild and gradual downturn (in my opinion) since ACII. I've played and enjoyed all the games in the series, and even enjoyed the newer style and fresh era of III, but am very happy they expanded upon what was actually so great about ACIII.... Naval Combat. The graphics are breathtaking and this era will be very hard to top because let's face it, whoThis game is quite refreshing since the mild and gradual downturn (in my opinion) since ACII. I've played and enjoyed all the games in the series, and even enjoyed the newer style and fresh era of III, but am very happy they expanded upon what was actually so great about ACIII.... Naval Combat. The graphics are breathtaking and this era will be very hard to top because let's face it, who doesn't dig pirates? The game is extremely engaging from the start, there is always something to do. If you find yourself with nothing to do, you either don't want to do anything, or aren't looking close enough. A lot of the in-game unlockable content (special armors/weapons) etc. can be obtained without progressing too deep into the main storyline so that you can actually enjoy those cool new toys. I really dig that because it seemed that in the past, they always left the best armor or coolest toys in the game only obtainable at the very end. The voice acting is some of the best I've ever heard in a game, hats off to that department for sure. The new massive open world is an absolute pleasure to explore, sailing island to island, jumping off of your ship to search each one for hidden treasure chests etc. The beautiful white sand/blue water carribbean beaches make me want to take a tropical vacation very soon!

The only reason I'm not giving this game a solid 10 is due to the fact that at a certain point is sort of feels like a "grind" in the naval combat aspect, which looks to be what the game was mostly built around. If it would have been given a more evolving role where the combat felt "refreshed" it wouldn't be so repetitive sometimes(yet it is still strangely fun in a sense). They do attempt to do this with different ship classes/difficulty, but in the end, it still becomes a grind. Also, contrary to other reviews I've watched/read/seen it still feels rather sticky like previous games when in towns etc. There are still your typical bug issues, but with a game of this magnitude, I am not surprised nor offended. In addition to that last point being lost, the final and main reasoning would be of course the Desmond story (refraining from spoilers) and how the Animus back story is portrayed in this installation. I don't particularly care for it this time around, but I am curious as to how they plan to improve upon this or return back to the older style where we had two great storyline interwoven with each other.

I do not regret my pre-purchase of this game at it's full price plus it's season pass on PC. I rarely if ever pre-purchase a game, even more rarely do I buy a game at full price. I usually ALWAYS wait for a steam sale, or a few months down the road. For how meaty this game is (a solid 40 hours PLUS), it's been worth every penny and I recommend it to not only TRUE fans of the franchise but fans of pirates/naval games alike!
  66. Jun 4, 2014
    Great game and the best Assassin's Creed title to date. Open world, life on the high seas, taking down fat merchant ships mixed with the familiar Assassin's Creed gameplay with the running and climbing and sneaking. Visually on the PC it looks great and while I can't comment on the keyboard and mouse controls, it plays flawlessly with an Xbox 360 controller. Highly Recommend picking this title up.
  67. Dec 17, 2013
    Definitely the best Assassin's game ever. Main character is much more convincing than Connor. I like the Pirates times better also. Gameplay is marvelous. Especially on see. This is one big innovation. Plot is quite nice, and You won't get bored. It is a pearl for every Pirates and Assassins fun. I miss good old Sid Meier's Pirates! this game is like a surrogate to me. I had many greatDefinitely the best Assassin's game ever. Main character is much more convincing than Connor. I like the Pirates times better also. Gameplay is marvelous. Especially on see. This is one big innovation. Plot is quite nice, and You won't get bored. It is a pearl for every Pirates and Assassins fun. I miss good old Sid Meier's Pirates! this game is like a surrogate to me. I had many great hours with Black Flag. And i don't regret even a minute playing this. Expand
  68. Dec 2, 2013
    I played the first AC and had a blast with it. Then i skipped AC 2 and 3, because of the same mechanics. But the setting in Black Flag with the pirates and ships was really interresting for me.

What can i say? I played about 30 hours, cruising the seas, discover treasures, power up my ship and charakter, hunt sharks and wales, assassinate targets and not even giving a about the mainquest.

I love the setting, the atmosphere, my ship, my crew... it's fantastic. And you always have the option to silently kill someone or running in, guns blazing and kill everyone in sight (maybe get rid of the snipers first :-)).

On the other side, for me the controlls are a little bit clumsy. Many times my character didn't move to where i expected (especially on the hunt for shantis).

So for me it's a good 9 out of 10. If you like pirates and you want a good open world game with lots of exploration, go and get the game!
  69. Nov 23, 2013
    I was genuinely surprised at this Assassin's Creed. After the last one, I had lost hope in the franchise and figured they were going to milk it. This game turned the franchise completely around. This game is right up there with Assassin's Creed II and Edward is on par with Ezio. The setting is just beautiful and the characters are some of the best. The new approach to the assassins is alsoI was genuinely surprised at this Assassin's Creed. After the last one, I had lost hope in the franchise and figured they were going to milk it. This game turned the franchise completely around. This game is right up there with Assassin's Creed II and Edward is on par with Ezio. The setting is just beautiful and the characters are some of the best. The new approach to the assassins is also neat. The thing holding it back is the performance. While most of the time it runs fairly smooth, some other times it will drop frame rate for no reason. Over all an awesome game. Expand
  70. Feb 10, 2014
    pirates,ship battle and customizations, treasure hunting, diving, hunting sharks, this game got everything
    and not only that this game have the best feature if you compare it with other games. the details is awesome! the developers did a good jobe in making this game.
  71. Dec 11, 2013
    I have poured hours of gameplay into this game and feel like there is still so much to do. Long games that are of a good quality are rare to find nowadays. Assassins Creed 4 is a master in stealing your time. Once you take the helm upon your trusted vessel and throw caution to the wind as you and your band of pirates sail, plunder and drink your way through a gorgeous virtual recreation ofI have poured hours of gameplay into this game and feel like there is still so much to do. Long games that are of a good quality are rare to find nowadays. Assassins Creed 4 is a master in stealing your time. Once you take the helm upon your trusted vessel and throw caution to the wind as you and your band of pirates sail, plunder and drink your way through a gorgeous virtual recreation of the Caribbean. The graphics are gorgeous on the highest settings and the world never fails to completely immerse you every time you decide to captain the Jackdaw. The ship and ground sections are like playing two different games but they cross-over seamlessly as you can see when boarding another ship. The free-running is also much improved but it still suffers from being a bit imprecise at times. The Underwater segments are amazing and thrilling, a mix of treasure hunting and stealth parts. Overall I think this is my GOTY. I hope Ubisoft keeps this kind of innovation going because if they do, franchising Assassins Creed might not be so bad after all. Expand
  72. Nov 30, 2013
    game graphics are better than the previews one as it is little bite left.ships play major role in game.we can sail ship as it as we want that thing was not in acr 3 ,can upgrade ships,new weapons,animals,more places and so on.....
  73. Nov 24, 2013
    Black Flag joined Assassin's Creed 2 at the very top of my fav games list. Game is filled with side missions and activities, music is beautiful, views are breathtaking and characters are incredible James Kidd is my favourite character in all AC series). Every fan of Assassin's Creed will be ecstatic, people who don't like series won't be dissapointed. Thanks to Ubisoft for that incredibleBlack Flag joined Assassin's Creed 2 at the very top of my fav games list. Game is filled with side missions and activities, music is beautiful, views are breathtaking and characters are incredible James Kidd is my favourite character in all AC series). Every fan of Assassin's Creed will be ecstatic, people who don't like series won't be dissapointed. Thanks to Ubisoft for that incredible experience! Expand
  74. Feb 14, 2014
    To tell the true, this is a pirate game with Assassin's Creed brand. What most of us really enjoyed was the naval system. I'm a bit bored of running on roofs and stuff of the previous games, so it was a really surprise to see how good was to set sail on this game.
  75. Jul 13, 2014
    Easily the best game in the Assassin's Creed franchise. After the low that was Assassin's Creed 3, I think most fans can agree that we were worried about the next AC being a disappointment, as well.

Connor was probably the most disliked AC character to date, with his monotone, mediocre voice-acting and overall dull "must do right" character. Edward Kenway, on the other hand, brings a

Edward Kenway, on the other hand, brings a much lighter tone to the franchise, akin to Jack Sparrow.

The story is great. The combat, crafting, free-running and everything else has all been revamped. I bought this game the day it came out and it has quickly become my favorite Assassin's Creed.
  76. Nov 22, 2013
    I have no idea how you can say it's boring. I'm about 4 hours in, and I love it. This is my first assassins creed game, so I cannot compare it to a previous version. However, I am really enjoying the story line, and stuff like being stealthy, catching thieves, pick-pocketing people, creating distractions, fighting with various weapons, sailing and shooting ships etc etc. I enjoy theI have no idea how you can say it's boring. I'm about 4 hours in, and I love it. This is my first assassins creed game, so I cannot compare it to a previous version. However, I am really enjoying the story line, and stuff like being stealthy, catching thieves, pick-pocketing people, creating distractions, fighting with various weapons, sailing and shooting ships etc etc. I enjoy the different platforms you use also. So far I really love it a lot. If anyone has every played the fairly new tomb raider game, it reminds me a little of that. However, tomb raider was a little short! Hopefully this will take a longer time to complete. Awsome! Expand
  77. Nov 23, 2013
    I must say that after being disappointed by AC3, this title has restored my faith in the franchise. My opinion is possibly biased by an academic interest in pirates, but I am truly absorbed into the game. The openness of the game is a vast improvement on what was attempted in AC3 (where most of the open map areas were empty and dull) in terms of game-play and graphics. I do have to deductI must say that after being disappointed by AC3, this title has restored my faith in the franchise. My opinion is possibly biased by an academic interest in pirates, but I am truly absorbed into the game. The openness of the game is a vast improvement on what was attempted in AC3 (where most of the open map areas were empty and dull) in terms of game-play and graphics. I do have to deduct a point though due to some graphic bugs and due to the control interface (since AC Revelations) which I find unintuitive. All in all an absorbing title with some amazing graphics. Expand
  78. Nov 24, 2013
    This years Assassins Creed is just awesome. Great graphics, awesome gameplay and an amazing story. And the rain gives me orgasms...it just looks so good!
  79. Nov 25, 2013
    Great game, nice map and gameplay, especially the naval combat. You get most upgrades too fast though, and there could have been more, more diverse upgrades.
  80. Nov 25, 2013
    second only to the legendary assassin's creed II, black flag is without doubt one of the franchises best releases.
    black flag's gameplay is refreshing and gives you the tools to get lost for hours in the huge world filled with pirates scums,honest traders,evil templars and brave assassins. edward, like the game is a much stronger character than his grandson (connor from assassin's creed III). the plot is superb thanks to good writing and sticking to historical fact as far as famous pirate deaths (some of the best scenes the game has to offer).the second plot (21st century) is compelling as it relates the other games, answers allot of questions but bring the tension up with a brilliant ending. in short assassin's creed IV black flag is one of the best games i got to play in the last decade. 9/10
  81. Nov 25, 2013
    Amazing detail. Several hours of game play. Being a pirate through the Caribbean is amazing fun. Just when you think you have seen it all, Ubisoft makes it better.
  82. Nov 30, 2013
    On my PC this game working on medium graphic settings and its looks very good. They fixed many mistakes and fails from AC 3... world is more attractive, battles on the sea are more spectacular and story is better than in any other AC game. Im really excited of this game and i dont understand people who giving "0" vote only because they havent moneys to buy good PC and they are playing onOn my PC this game working on medium graphic settings and its looks very good. They fixed many mistakes and fails from AC 3... world is more attractive, battles on the sea are more spectacular and story is better than in any other AC game. Im really excited of this game and i dont understand people who giving "0" vote only because they havent moneys to buy good PC and they are playing on old craps GJ ubisoft! Expand
  83. Dec 1, 2013
    What an amazing edition from the Assassin's Creed franchise!

This game was easily an enjoyable title, there was always that one game that I wanted to play to remind me of the well known Pirates Of The Caribbean. The visuals in this game were superb, absolutely stunning horizons and lush landscapes. There were plenty moments where i found myself grunting in frustrating as how the
    What an amazing edition from the Assassin's Creed franchise!

There were plenty moments where i found myself grunting in frustrating as how the controls felt as if they we stacking against each other, let alone how often your character is clinging on to anything whilst running around aimlessly.

When it comes to naval battle's it really does show this game off. I did enjoy how well the combat mechanics worked, very fluid and smooth, and very easy to understand. However I would have liked if they would have implemented a free motion camera to view ship distance from shores in case you're a clumsy driver like my self.

Other than that, this game is a definite MUST have if you are into plunder and pillaging!
  84. Dec 4, 2013
    This is an awesome and great and amazing game!!!
    The campaign missions was interesting and a lot of fun and also upgrading my ship and Edward (the main pirate your playing with) was fun too!
    Overall the graphics on PC don't have high recommendations and after all it's one of the most beautiful graphics I've ever seen! Looks great, great gameplay... Best assassin's creed game that I played 10/10
  85. Dec 9, 2013
    I was skeptical at first to buy this new franchise because I am afraid of the bad port. However after the installation and right after 79++ hours in game, this is truly the best AC series ever. The pirates experience can be enhance further if all this ships in the game can be commandeer.
  86. Dec 10, 2013
    When I first saw the trailer, it was epic and make me wanna play it more. And when i played the game, it was awesome, the gameplay, the graphics and stuff but there is something about the PC version is that it's not optimized for the PC so I get lags and have to play it on low graphic settings. But all in all, the naval combat, combat, stealth, storyline, gameplay was awesome. I say it's aWhen I first saw the trailer, it was epic and make me wanna play it more. And when i played the game, it was awesome, the gameplay, the graphics and stuff but there is something about the PC version is that it's not optimized for the PC so I get lags and have to play it on low graphic settings. But all in all, the naval combat, combat, stealth, storyline, gameplay was awesome. I say it's a must buy. Expand
  87. Dec 20, 2013
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is a good game. Combat is good, plenty to do after beating the storyline. There are some bugs, but nothing too gamebreaking. The storyline takes a while to leave the "Pirate doing pirate-y stuff with pirate-y friends" phase, though its still fun and the ending was good. Edward started out rather flat as a character, but grew more complex later. Ship combatAssassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is a good game. Combat is good, plenty to do after beating the storyline. There are some bugs, but nothing too gamebreaking. The storyline takes a while to leave the "Pirate doing pirate-y stuff with pirate-y friends" phase, though its still fun and the ending was good. Edward started out rather flat as a character, but grew more complex later. Ship combat is intuitive, and boarding is fun. My only complaint is that the framerate an take a hit during some larger boarding procedures such as Man of War and Frigate attacks. Overall, good game, but don't come in expecting the same sort of story as AC III. Expand
  88. Dec 17, 2013
    I played assassins'creed one, and give up in 1hour, and I not play the other... I'm a pirate fan, and I bought black flag, and it's incredible, the naval battle are a game in the game, I love it, it's very immersive, the fight is nervous.
    We buy first for playing in multi with my brother, but we are both in solo for the naval combat ;)
    it's a good experiance to live with a good graphic
    it's a good experiance to live with a good graphic card.
    the hater are assassin's creed fan, but for other player, it's a game to own
  89. Dec 22, 2013
    This game is fantastic. The world is large, beautiful and full of different things to do. Story mode is fun (Even though the actual story is weak) The Muti-Player has many enjoyable things to do, even introducing the new 'Game Lab' feature where you can make your own game mode. I recommend this game, BUY IT!!
  90. Dec 19, 2013
    A great game, very enjoyable, I think the reason why some people disliked the sequel or ""prequel"' was because the game was mostly based around pirates rather than assassins. but personally this did not bother me. I really enjoyed this game, and I think its one of the best assassins creed that has been released in a while. also, beautiful graphics
  91. Jun 7, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV is an outstanding game and for me the best in the AC series. Ubisoft did almost everything right this time.

Graphics and Sound The anvil engine has turned out absolutely amazing. Great lighting, weather effects, water and more. The caribbean locations look very real and the game offers an almost completely open world with very few loading times and transitions. I

Graphics and Sound
    The anvil engine has turned out absolutely amazing. Great lighting, weather effects, water and more. The caribbean locations look very real and the game offers an almost completely open world with very few loading times and transitions. I was surprised how well the game runs on my hardware, because the graphics card (Radeon 6850HD) isn't very good compared to newer cards, yet it did reasonably well throughout most of the game with medium to high settings, although the great looking weather effects really put it on the edge.
    The music is a little similar to that in the Pirates of the Caribbean and fits the game really well and then there are the shanties that your crew sings while you sail, once you've collected the notes for the songs. Things like that really show how much work was put into this game.

Interface
    You know how every AC game had some annoying flaws with the controls, menus or gameplay itself? Ubisoft finally took the time to adress these flaws and not only on consoles, but for the PC version, too. The menus and controls are so much better. Everything can be easily controlled with mouse or keyboard and the keyboard shortcuts make a lot more sense than they did in the previous games. All the content is easily accessible through the menus, which is quite a feat considering how much content there is. To put it in other words: Finally in an AC game, the interface doesn't get in the way of gameplay.

Gameplay
    The amount of content in this game is simply incredible. Playing through the game took me almost 80 hours and I don't even have all the achievements. There is so much to do that you might almost be a bit overwhelmed at the start: Pirating, hunting, fishing, crafting and upgrading, treasure hunting, exploring, mini missions, main missions, diving and there's even a great mini game where you manage a fleet of captured ships to gain more gold. The fleet management alone can take hours and it's definitely the best mini game Ubisoft have come up with so far. You can control the fleet management and the world map from outside the game with a phone or tablet PC, for example to set waypoints without interrupting the game flow or accessing your fleet when you're not playing the game. The ships in your fleet sail in real time, so the next time you log into the game, you can reap the rewards of your illegal pirate trading business. The whole feature is optional though, so you can completely avoid it if for some reason you don't like it.
    The story is good and also a little educational, because many of the events and especially characters in the game closely resemble their real historic examples, at least as far as we known about them. In any case, it's a nice mix of fiction and history and experiencing the characters turning into pirates is really interesting and well done. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll leave it at that.
    And then of course, there's the story outside the animus, which doesn't continue too far, but is interesting nonetheless and there is a lot of information about Abstergo and the AC series to find by hacking computers, if you want to do it. The game doesn't force you to. Hacking the computers comes with new minigames that are well thought out and can be quite challening, but never too difficult.
    Black Flag feels almost like an RPG, because of how open the world is. You are not restricted by missions and can do anything at (almost) any time. The world is huge, featuring the caribbean from the Bahamas to the western coast of the Dominican Republic, even though on a smaller scale of course. I don't know how many islands there are, but I would guess about a hundred. The only other single player game with a similarly huge world that I know of is Skyrim.
    During all these hours of gameplay, I didn't find a single bug, which further proves the insane quality and polish of the game.

However, I will again deduct 1 point because of Uplay. I don't think I have to go into details as to why Uplay is crap.
  92. Mar 2, 2014
    Before us is the best game on the series Assassin's Creed. Black Flag is the best thing that could happen from the series! You know I do not even want to write the pros and cons of the game.
    Because of the advantages of this game, you can write for hours! And the drawbacks I can hardly write ten words, because of shortcomings in this game almost none.
    In my opinion, we have waited fact
    In my opinion, we have waited fact that Ubisoft released the same "Perfect Assassins Creed" so perfect as it seemed we were still in the distant 2007.

(Russian Review)
    Перед нами лучшая игра по серии Assassin's Creed. Black Flag это лучшее что могло произойти из серией!!! Вы знаете я даже не хочу писать достоинствах и недостатках игры.
    Потому что о достоинствах этой игры можно писать часами!!! А о недостатках я едва ли смогу написать один рядочек, потому что недостатков в этой игре практически нет.
    По моему мнению мы дождались того что Ubisoft выпустили тот самый "Идеальный Кредо Убийц" такой идеально насколько он нам казался еще в далекий 2007 год.
  93. Jan 17, 2014
    This game really fixed many of AC3's problems. Overall a great game with good gameplay. The ship combat is brilliant and the fleet missions are great for making passive income.
  94. Jan 18, 2014
    the series of ac is always prefect ac4 is too.sailing is great in this game but after a while its gonna boring and this is when happen you sink some men o war and u see its to easy and boring . finding chest and animous fragment on world map was boring some effect of naval war like shooting to sails wasn't good but if u just complete missions u will not see that difficulties if wethe series of ac is always prefect ac4 is too.sailing is great in this game but after a while its gonna boring and this is when happen you sink some men o war and u see its to easy and boring . finding chest and animous fragment on world map was boring some effect of naval war like shooting to sails wasn't good but if u just complete missions u will not see that difficulties if we want deduce: ac 4 is great game for his fans and who want play its for first time. great graphic .great game play .great story but its have some little difficulties and i think its not important Expand
  95. Jan 22, 2014
    Loved it from start to end. The story is absolutely amazing and a big up from AC 3. The combat is mainly the same but nevertheless still good. Naval combat has been refined a lot and you are literally the king of the seas. The graphics are beautiful with the colorful cities of Havana to the lush forests on certain islands. Multiplayer is fun as ever. All in all, a top notch package fromLoved it from start to end. The story is absolutely amazing and a big up from AC 3. The combat is mainly the same but nevertheless still good. Naval combat has been refined a lot and you are literally the king of the seas. The graphics are beautiful with the colorful cities of Havana to the lush forests on certain islands. Multiplayer is fun as ever. All in all, a top notch package from Ubisoft and one that is highly recommended. Plus, you are pirate. END

PS. All these people giving low reviews because the port is bad and that it is littered with bugs. I really don't understand what u are on about? The gameplay is so smooth and i hardly ran into a bug that really affected the gameplay. I gt the game on launch day and it ran beautifully. If u want the definition of a real bug, go play bf4.
  96. Jan 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome game but just to let people who prefer being an assassin this is not the game, you get guns and dual swords, not very assassin like he just gets the hidden blade and the hood and the assassin "guild" is a bunch of bush whackin' Mayans with blow darts! BUUUUUUUT if your into destruction and looting then this is a positively BADAHS pirate game, sail the high seas in your mighty vessel, dive for lost treasure, explore a myriad of islands, take on impossible odds with just a few cannons and if your tough enough can tackle the legendary ships! Hoo, intense stuff. Just read the title as Black Flag and forget the Assassin's Creed part and everything will be just peaches and cream......or fire and gold. oh and PS, make sure your computer is tough because even on a mid comp and low graphics the game still lags at times like when you fire your cannons.......which you do.......alot. Expand
  97. Feb 9, 2014
    AC4 is an absoulute great game, however the PC port is just complete garbage even after 3 months after launch. The game likes to freeze on my gaming PC which can handle any game at max. I'd recommend this game for consoles. But the PC version just crashes and freezes whenever it wants to
  98. Feb 6, 2014
    This is the best game I have ever played ! Everything is more than perfect in this game.
    They have to remake Captain Claw with that engine !
    Such a superior addictive game, really ! Well done Ubisoft.
  99. Feb 9, 2014
    With great gameplay, reasonably engaging story and outstanding art, this game packs enough to entertain for dozens of hours (don't play it if you're too busy). Some - myself included - will find the number of useless collectibles excessive. Moreover, the main plot does not develop in ways as impacting as last installments of the series.

Expectations aside, the game is incredibly fun

Expectations aside, the game is incredibly fun and, all in all, worth your time.
  100. Feb 24, 2014
    I've never, ever played a game I'd give a 0/10, so the people reviewing this great game as 0/10 are being ridiculous. Too bad metacritic can't filter out idiocy.

I've never really been a fan of Assassin's Creed games. But this game has the most polished controls of the series to date. While most of the game isn't ground-breaking, that's not necessarily a bad thing. It looks like they took the path of refining their game formula, rather than re-defining it. Where the game really shines is the naval combat. I've been looking for that kind of thing since I played Bethesda's somewhat lacking Pirates of the Caribbean. Taking on the legendary ships was quite the experience. The slow part of the game is, of course, everything outside the Animus. Wish they'd rein that in a bit. I'm a perfectionist, and tracking down all the optional content was a bit much (especially the deep-sea diving segments). But overall, this game is fantastic, and gorgeous on PC.

1. Mar 5, 2014
    Ironically enough for a game which centers around the concept of genetic ancestry, however, it continually lets itself down by refusing to break away from its own tired and worn-out heritage,
  2. Jan 16, 2014
    Fans that were bummed out by Assassin’s Creed III will most likely find Black Flag to be a welcoming return to what they love about the series, with a great story, amazingly crafted world and smart additions to the sailing that make it a refreshing part of the Assassin’s Creed formula.
  3. Dec 30, 2013
    Makes up for the failings of AC3, delivering a fantastic, engaging open world experience. [Jan 2014, p.78]