7.7

1. May 11, 2017
    Great expirience of playing as a "pirate-assassin". Sea battles and the setting was charming, as for me. Customizing your ship and Edward's equipment is interested. But shipping on the opposite side of the map for some skin for your bullet bag is too tiring, as for me. But I cannot say the same about boarding ships. I also loved the songs which your team singing during the sea travels.Great expirience of playing as a "pirate-assassin". Sea battles and the setting was charming, as for me. Customizing your ship and Edward's equipment is interested. But shipping on the opposite side of the map for some skin for your bullet bag is too tiring, as for me. But I cannot say the same about boarding ships. I also loved the songs which your team singing during the sea travels. this game has wonderful atmosphere, which reminds Pirattes of the Carribean. I'm sure that developers inspired from those movies.
    I look forward to next chapters.
  2. Mar 17, 2017
    Not a big Assassins Creed fan but I loved AC IV Black Flag!

Pros:
    - Pirates, ships and naval battles!
    - Caribbean landscapes! :)
    - Silly characters and better AI compared to AC III
    - Is waaaay better than III and AC Unity :P
    - Simple but fun multiplayer.

Cons:
    - Lack of story and sidequest.
    - Still not a good port for non SLI GTX 700's (If you have PS4 buy that version!)
  3. Mar 7, 2017
    I don’t quite know what to think about Assassin’s Creed® IV Black Flag™. The pirate parts and the open-world collect-a-thon are great, the story is nice, but movement and hand-to-hand combat is severely lacking when one is used to Arkham City levels of perfection.
  4. Mar 4, 2017
    Gaz kesmeden seriye devam eden Ubisoft bu oyununda da hikayeyi ve kurguyu güzel oturtuyor ve oyuncuya gerçekten çok güzel bir oyun sunuyor. Gemi savaşları mükemmel işlenmiş. Gemi ele geçirme kısımları çok iyi, Denizde geminle seyahat ettiğin kısımlar bile güzel. Mürettebatının şarkılar eşliğinde yolu kat etmesi de ayrı bir güzellik katıyor. III ile aynı motoru kullandığını düşündüğüm oyun,Gaz kesmeden seriye devam eden Ubisoft bu oyununda da hikayeyi ve kurguyu güzel oturtuyor ve oyuncuya gerçekten çok güzel bir oyun sunuyor. Gemi savaşları mükemmel işlenmiş. Gemi ele geçirme kısımları çok iyi, Denizde geminle seyahat ettiğin kısımlar bile güzel. Mürettebatının şarkılar eşliğinde yolu kat etmesi de ayrı bir güzellik katıyor. III ile aynı motoru kullandığını düşündüğüm oyun, güzel bir hikayeyi ve aksiyonu harmanlayarak oyuncuya hissettiriyor. Expand
  5. Feb 3, 2017
    Amazing game. Beautiful, polished, consistent, with great characters, rich in content. My progress with main storyline was really slow because there was so many interesting things to do along the way. It took 8 days of playing for 5-6 hours a day, it's quite unique for a game to take so long to complete. And it ended just about when it was starting to be overly long. Still not perfect butAmazing game. Beautiful, polished, consistent, with great characters, rich in content. My progress with main storyline was really slow because there was so many interesting things to do along the way. It took 8 days of playing for 5-6 hours a day, it's quite unique for a game to take so long to complete. And it ended just about when it was starting to be overly long. Still not perfect but really not much more to wish, I heard it is very good but it exceeded my expectations. However one thing to mention is that the performance on 99,99% of PCs will be absolutely awful. I was running it on GTX 1080 in SLI so I had no issues, but once I tried with single card, performance is really not good, and add to this idiotic double buffered v-sync that locks your FPS to 30 if you cannot maintain stable 60. And without V-sync it is a tearing disaster. The game is not less demanding than the newest and the most demanding games of 2016. I don't know how it would go if I played it on average setup, probably not so good, but if you play without performance issues then the game is absolutely wonderful. Expand
  6. Jan 13, 2017
    Had a previous review that gave the game credit for excellent programming, graphics, historical setting, art design, level design, and good parkour. Gave it a few bad marks for combat mechanics, AI behavior, and other things not all that bad even when added up. I hadn't given up totally, and the game had a rating of just under 50% for me, until reality set in. What absolutely KILLED theHad a previous review that gave the game credit for excellent programming, graphics, historical setting, art design, level design, and good parkour. Gave it a few bad marks for combat mechanics, AI behavior, and other things not all that bad even when added up. I hadn't given up totally, and the game had a rating of just under 50% for me, until reality set in. What absolutely KILLED the fun factor for me was "NO SAVE FUNCTION". I want to save the game when I want to save the game. Take this outdated arrogant attitude and shove it, dudes, don't tell me when I can save the game. I complete a half hour's worth of whatever level, then I die, or have to do something else in the real world, and I have to start all over again? I have to repeat the entire hour possibly. because you said so?? That's not fun, guys, that's called work and I get enough of that during the day. Combine that single catastrophic bad design element with the pervasive and absolutely buzz-killing ultra modern office "Oh it was all a dream a-la Total Recall" moments, and throw in the arrogant Uplay overlay, and as they say in the orchestra, "Viola!!" A great effort by programmers, art guys, and the people that envisioned the awesome piratey goodness of the initial concept, squandered, and I mean absolutely destroyed down to the nanometric level of subatomic dissolution type destroyed, and this game holds the current title in Just an Honest Guy land of "Game that fell the hardest from the highest". I am sincerely so disappointed in the flawed execution that I have to give it a 2.... Uninstalling in frustration. Expand
  7. Dec 20, 2016
    Me gustaria darle mas puntaje a este juego, pues su historia fue la más triste de todo assasin's creed y sin duda alguna su final es muy emotivo. AMÉ y ODIÉ la historia de este juego, y eso es lo que hace que hoy mismo lo vote de forma positiva.

Me gustaría darle un 9 y no un 8, pero lamentablemente el pésimo rendimiento y los bugs que tiene no me lo permiten. Sin lugar a dudas amé este juego.
  8. Nov 2, 2016
    If you like the Assassin's Creed franchise, you're gonna like this game. In my personal book, this is where the franchise peaked. It is relieving to play a character that often does not take the philosophical aspects of the story as serious as he ought (or as serious as you do), and who evolves from an actual terrible human being, who betrays the trust of those who mean little to him, andIf you like the Assassin's Creed franchise, you're gonna like this game. In my personal book, this is where the franchise peaked. It is relieving to play a character that often does not take the philosophical aspects of the story as serious as he ought (or as serious as you do), and who evolves from an actual terrible human being, who betrays the trust of those who mean little to him, and sometimes those who mean a lot to him, into a person we can sorta get behind. Also, probably the best ending I have seen in my life (in stark contrast to the joke of an ending that is AC Syndicate) Expand
  9. Oct 18, 2016
    Assassin's Creed serisinin ilk oyunundan beri takipçisiyim. Bu oyunu aldığımda ise oldukça önyargı ile yaklaştım. Okuduğum çoğu olumsuz yorumda AC3'deki gemi savaşları tutulduğu için yapılmış bir yapım olduğu yazıyordu. Ama oyuna başladığımda tüm önyargım yıkıldı. Kesinlikle baştan sağma bir yapım değildi...

Oyunun grafikleri takdire şayan. Tüm ayarlar ultrada 50fps altına düşmedi. İyi

Oyunun grafikleri takdire şayan. Tüm ayarlar ultrada 50fps altına düşmedi. İyi bir sistemle gözleriniz bayram ediyor. Ubisoftu senede bir Assassin's Creed oyunu çıkarmakla eleştiriyorlar. Ama bu kadar kısa sürede böyle bir şahaeseri oraya çıkarmak takdir edilesi birşey.

Oyunun hikayesi yan görevler olmadan 35 saat sürüyor yaklaşık olarak yan görevleri daha yapmadım. Hikayesi başlarda sıkıcı gelse bile özellikle 6.diziden sonra güzelleşiyor.

Oyunun hep +'larından bahsettim gelelim eksilerine.

Eğer serinin diğer oyunlarını oynamış ve hikayeye hakimseniz sizide mutlaka rahatsız etmiş olmalı. Oyun korsanlık ve denizciliğe odaklı, suikastçi bile son 2 dizide oluyorsunuz zaten oyun 13 dizi. Bu yönüyle diğer Assassin's Creed oyunlarının gerisinde kalıyor. Seriye hakim değil ve hikaye odaklı oynamıyorsanız bundan şikayet etmezsiniz.

Ve başka bir eksi daha: Uplay
    Ubisoft kendi oyunları için steam, origin gibi bir sistem oluşturmuş. Oyunu oynamak için Uplay zorunlu. Bu iş can sıkıcı olabiliyor.

Birazda multiplayerden bahsedelim. Assassins Creed hiçbirzaman multiplayer odaklı bir oyun olmadı. Bu yüzden multiplayerden fazla beklentiniz olmasın. Genede serverleri dolu oyuncu rahat bulabiliyorsunuz.

Gelelim sonuca. Oyun kesinlikle oynanmayı hakediyor indirimlerde 40tl altına düşünce kesinlikle almalısınız. Kuruşuna kadar hakediyor. Genel puanım ise 8/10.
  10. Jul 21, 2016
    GRAPHICS: The graphics were amazing. Oddly, the rendered cut scenes seem to improve as the game progresses; advancements in tech during development? Don't listen to reviews complaining about low FPS, they are reviewing their own hardware and not the game. A game with less detail, fewer polygons, smaller textures, fewer models, less physics, etc. will have higher FPS on the same hardware.GRAPHICS: The graphics were amazing. Oddly, the rendered cut scenes seem to improve as the game progresses; advancements in tech during development? Don't listen to reviews complaining about low FPS, they are reviewing their own hardware and not the game. A game with less detail, fewer polygons, smaller textures, fewer models, less physics, etc. will have higher FPS on the same hardware. It has nothing to do with optimization and everything to do with there being more eye-candy. Tearing is eliminated with V-Sync. The open world and the ships are a beautiful work of art.

SEQUEL: This is the first Assassin's Creed game I have ever played, so I cannot compare the previous version with this one. There are negative reviews here saying it's just like the previous one, but with pirates and some improvements... Do they know what a sequel is?

GLITCHES/CRASHES: There were a couple of crashes though, and probably related to my multiple monitor setup and using V-Sync with monitors of different refresh rates... Don't judge me! It's as stable as my other games played the same way. Some "glitches" seemed intentional because it's supposed to be a "simulation", not real. Play Saints Row IV and you'll see what I mean by intentional glitches for effect.

CONTROLS: This is the only reason the game doesn't get a 10 for me. The "E" key is used for so many things it gets frustrating. Hiding in the bushes with a fresh corpse I just assassinated and another soon to be in front of me, I am faced with a few options for the "E" key: Assassinate, Whistle, Loot, and Carry. There are 4 things at the same time, and the "E" key can handle two because it will distinguish between holding and just typing "E". I was forced to loot my corpses to get that option removed, sometimes that didn't go so well. Also, running... I want to run, not climb every damn thing and slow me down. Maybe there is a way to run normal separate from free run that I haven't discovered yet, but if there isn't there should be. They would have to assign more keys to fix this, and they cannot do that on consoles. They would have to resort to some sort of selection cycling. But listen to what the complaint is... I have too many things my character can do. That's what makes it awesome.

The outside world in the big office building is a little distracting. I'd rather just do the "simulation" the entire time, but maybe that's part of the Assassin's Creed theme that makes it a sequel? Anyway, the whole office and hacking computers could be dumped. It's extra, and a distraction from the real game. No points lost for having extra.

After reading the first part of my review, you may be wondering how it got such a high score from me: It blew me away. The waves, the ships, the weather, epic sea battles, sword fights, guns, stealth, beautiful story line, excellent voice acting, harpoon fishing, swimming combined with spelunking, diving, treasure maps, cut scenes, huge open world map, beautiful imagery, this game has even more than that.The amount of work put into this... It is a masterpiece. I have 83 games in my steam inventory alone. I also use Origin and Uplay, and some games overlap. But of the hundreds, maybe thousands, of video games I have played in my life, this one is way up there with the wow factor. Amazed it was on sale for under $10. It rivals games I have bought for magnitudes more money. As with every purchase you make, buy it on sale. It's dumb to pay full price for anything.
  11. Jul 19, 2016
    I recently picked up this game at the Steam Summer Sale having never played a previous AC game. I've absolutely loved it. It's a wonderful and fun game. I've played other pirate games but this one is the best of them all. The cities, the scale, the sea battles - all are great! I highly recommend this game for every gamer.
  12. May 23, 2016
    It is dumb to say Black Flag is not a good game. It is even dumber to say that it is not a great game. Because, honestly, this is one of the best Assassin's Creed experiences ever created.
  13. May 15, 2016
    I dont played this game on Xbox 360 , but I played this game on PC and I love it . Normal Graphics and Amazing storyline for Assasins Creed from 3 . Assasin's Creed 4 Black Flag better than Assasin's Creed 3 but worse than Assassin's Creed 2 because Assassin's Creed 2 the best Assasin's Creed Game . In Assassin's Creed 4 very much parkour and interesting missions on ships and this gameI dont played this game on Xbox 360 , but I played this game on PC and I love it . Normal Graphics and Amazing storyline for Assasins Creed from 3 . Assasin's Creed 4 Black Flag better than Assasin's Creed 3 but worse than Assassin's Creed 2 because Assassin's Creed 2 the best Assasin's Creed Game . In Assassin's Creed 4 very much parkour and interesting missions on ships and this game very interesting . 8/10 Expand
  14. May 11, 2016
    AC Black Flag was one of my favorite installments. I really think this one shined where AC III kind of flopped. The story alone is a wonderful one and really captures the greed of Edward Kenway and how it was more important than family, even though he was doing it for his wife. The pirate ship battles were great and very enticing but at some points they became a bit repetitive but all inAC Black Flag was one of my favorite installments. I really think this one shined where AC III kind of flopped. The story alone is a wonderful one and really captures the greed of Edward Kenway and how it was more important than family, even though he was doing it for his wife. The pirate ship battles were great and very enticing but at some points they became a bit repetitive but all in all it was a great. If you're a fan of the AC series and also a fan of pirates than this game is definitely for you. I give it an 8 out of 10 just because some parts are repetitive but I've come to expect that out of Ubisoft, sadly. Expand
  15. Mar 23, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Assassin's Creed IV Black-flag is very ambitious game that has a definite requirement for a good computer but if you play with a good PC the game play is very similar to Assassin's Creed 3 for it's ground combat it has the same annoying boss that are extremely difficult to fight no mater your strategy I find it way easier to shoot the person in the face and end the fight anti climatically. the naval combat is a huge upgrade from the hell of AC3 It is vary well polished but it still surprises me that Rogue was able to make it better. it's fluent and fast pace and really makes you want to be a pirate and take on a huge Man"o War for all it's metal. The story was huge disappointment Edward never seamed to show compassion for what was supposes to be heart throbbing moments only once did I really feel that there was one moment where I wanted revenge. then the fact that you don't become An official Assassin till the last three sequences, It's not called Pirates Creed it's called Assassin's Creed I expect to be an Assassin most of the game or a least more of a purpose then a pirate sailing around and stealing loot. I would have no problem if leading up to when you became an Assassin but change/ add more after that I don't care if I have let's say 22 sequences I loved playing the game and wanted more when it was over so give me more please. I think the game is a great sequel that has amazing graphics but needed more story to developed you as an Assassin, over all a very good game and very enjoyable Expand
  16. Mar 17, 2016
    Bad port, good game. Vsync is horrible. Turn it on when FPS drops it will turn you down to 30 fps. Turn it off and then suffer ultimate screen tearing.
  17. Feb 26, 2016
    Viajamos a la época de los piratas. Se centra muchísimo mas, como es lógico, en la mejora y jugabilidad en mar, no dejando de lado lo clásico en la saga.
  18. Feb 17, 2016
    Not sure where to start. I seriously tried TWICE to get into this game, expecting to really enjoy it, as so many claim it to be one of the best ACs, along with the Ezio ones.
    But I simply can't, it wasn't fun for me.
    Let's go through it, starting with the good things: + Looks nice, both in town and at sea + Some nice new mechanics + The shanties your crew sings are a great touch and
    But I simply can't, it wasn't fun for me.
    Let's go through it, starting with the good things:
    + Looks nice, both in town and at sea
    + Some nice new mechanics
    + The shanties your crew sings are a great touch and made me smile a lot while at sea
    + Naval battles can be fun, even more so than in AC III
    + They did great with the pirate-history. Not as cliche as usual, no parrots on shoulders, no wooden leg and stuff on every pirate. I am rather certain I know the books they based this on, as a lot of the story-points of that subplot are rather correct, historically, and I liked that a lot.

Now, the cons:
    - The story. This really sucks. So basically, you have the main character kill an Assassin he gets marooned with, kill him EASILY, and simply put on a bit of his outfit, becoming an assassin that way. So, this guy easily kills an assassin and kinda becomes one by putting out the clothes. Yes, he also has eagle vision, and I am sure there is an explanation that he secretly has the "assassin gene" or is the grandson of one, but before that was explained, I lost interest, it just feels weird and is rather sad, considering the previous games.
    - The main character. No personality, apart from him apparently being some kind of Jack Sparrow-type cool guy. I really liked Ezio, Altair, even Connor and Arno, but this guy, I couldn't care less about.
    - The missions. SOME tailing/eavesdrop/chase-missions can be fun. TOO many of them get frustrating and dull. Sail to a town. Talk to someone. Tail someone and listen to his conversation without being caught. Try again. Try again. Yay, checkpoint. Now sneak in and kill him. Rinse and repeat.
    - The "big story twist" about a certain person in game. This was so incredibly obvious from the start. I mean, how the heck am I supposed to believe no one noticed this (not spoiling it here) about a pirate, in a tightly-knit crew, on a ship, travelling, fighting, eating together for months? First time I saw him and heard him speak, it was so obvious, it was sad.
    - Diving. Nice change, maybe, but I never much liked diving in games, whether it was TR or this one. And here, it's mandatory - not only for a story quest where you first learn it, but also to PROGRESS. No, it's not optional.
    This "open world game" REQUIRED me to dive several times. Why? Because at some point, the game says "Stop. You can't do the next story-quest until you upgrade your ship". And to do that, you need to find blueprints, in some chest underwater. You can use the web to find out where. If you hate the diving (with overly aggressive sharks which attack you on sight and kill you quickly, while you don't have much breath in the first place), it sucks, because you won't be able to get those blueprints, upgrade your ship enough (thanks for giving me a choice there to try the blocked mission at least) in order to progress the story.
    - Your stronghold feels pointless and more like a money-sink
    - I don't think the game is well optimized. It works ok on my PC (W7, 16 gigs of RAM, i7, with a GTX 960 with 4 gigs of ram), but on the same system with an Nvidia GT 730, there were problems.
    - Still has some wonky controls, which sucks for jumping puzzles and chases.

I am happy for those that truly think this is one of the best ACs, but I simply lost interest both times I tried to get into the game. The first time, it happened 3 hrs in (same repetitive side content, yawn, and another chase with no room for error there...one missstep, back to the checkpoint), the second time I played 6-7 hrs and then didnt wanna continue (see above, didn't wanna dive over and over to upgrade my ship just to continue the story).

If this was a standalone pirate game with no AC added to it, like, I dunno "Davy Jones' Amazin Adventures" or "Swashbucklers of the Carribean", it'd be really nice, but as an AC game, it just isn't fun, and didn't grab me at all, sorry
  19. Jan 9, 2016
    I had high expectations of this game, it's good but the part where you have to sail draws the score down alot. It's slow and boring with the sailing. But if I wouldn't have to spend 60% of the time on sailing in the game I'd give it an 7/10.
  20. Dec 27, 2015
    Oh my gosh... assassin´s creed is getting more boring again. First ones were pretty good and AC 3 was the best, but these "pirate thingies" are not so good. Oh yeah... the game also gets easier and more boring, but still... they did a good job.
  21. Dec 26, 2015
    A perfection of the Black Flag gameplay and graphics. Possibly the most realistic-looking game in the series, even with Unity and Syndicate. The game is extremely smooth and detailed, somehow more engaging than other versions. It's definitely the definitive version of the AC4 experience.

Keep in mind though, that this is probably the most bug-filled game I've ever played and there are some game-breaking ones. (Frame rate's also not what I would call superb, especially compared to AC3)
  22. Dec 25, 2015
    After the fairly decent AssCreed3, and considering the many positive reviews for this game, I made the mistake of having slightly higher expectations than usual. This unsurprisingly led to some disappointment (yes, sadly going against the trend in most other reviews). But once I recalibrated my expectations to “standard AssCreed fare”, it was not too bad.

The story is messy and silly.

The story is messy and silly. It has some good parts but most of it is mediocre - overall not as good as AssCreed3 in my opinion. I have the suspicion casual or younger gamers may like it more. It sorely lacks atmosphere when compared to games like Dishonored or The Witcher or films like 'Pirates of the Caribbean'. The script is full of plot holes (even more than usual). Half of the game is fairly serious and makes some sense, but the other half is silly and does not make any sense. This inconsistency harms immersion. The main character is decent, but does not quite have the charisma of Ezio or Haytham from previous games.

The missions and gameplay built on the story are very bland and repetitive. Almost any potentially interesting story scenario is reduced to a handful of copy-paste follow/sneak/kill/eavesdrop gameplay designs. It seems like the devs were slightly lazier than usual - AssCreed3 missions were far from perfect, but still seemed slightly more varied and hand-crafted.

The difficulty balance of the gameplay is poor. AI detection feels arcade and inconsistent. Stealth areas are severely overpopulated with guards, meaning you are forced to look at the minimap all the time to have any chance of avoiding detection. If you don't reload checkpoints often, open combat is nearly inevitable, which in turn is far too easy. This makes trying to play stealth frustrating, because the odds feel unfairly stacked against you, and it is always so much easier to just fight and kill everyone. But fighting gets boring quickly - you just spam attacks, then counter when prompted, and repeat that indefinitely.

The sandbox gameplay has been brought to the fore, but like the main missions, it is very arcade, bland, and repetitive. The open world is large, but most places all look the same. Compared to AC3, there seems to be slightly less content overall, though still more than enough. The problem is a lack of quality, not quantity. Still things like naval battles and boarding enemy ships are novel for a while and work fairly reliably, which is more than can be said of naval battles in a Total War game (Shogun II etc). The sea shanties (songs) are a nice touch, and possibly the single best feature in this game.

Graphics are the best yet for an AssCreed game, and the first in my opinion to just about match those of Crysis 1 (released 6 years earlier). The water out at sea looks particularly good. The visual quality does not hold up everywhere though - quite a few ugly meshes and textures here and there. The default settings are poorly optimised - you need to manually tweak the settings to get the best visuals while keeping the FPS high. Ship physics are decent and must feel amazing to the average console peasant, but if you have an eye for realism and have been on a real ship, it still leaves much to be desired. Your 150-ton brig behaves like it has the mass and manoeuvrability of a modern olympic racing yacht combined with the stability of a modern river ferry (complete with bow thrusters). You can sail straight into the wind with no speed loss. Enemy ships also handle like powerboats. In some ways the sailing physics were more realistic in AC3 - you could not sail into the wind, and it felt slightly more natural, though admittedly less reliable (momentarily flying ships etc).

PC controls are as bad as usual. They are not game-breaking, but they do work against you - I messed up a lot of missions because my character would do the wrong thing like randomly climbing a wall. A few times just before successfully capturing a huge enemy ship, I would fall from a mast to my death due to glitched controls. The checkpoint system has its usual annoyances and reloads sometimes caused technical problems like missing quest items (requiring quiting to desktop and reloading). I encountered more bugs and glitches and generally rushed content here than in any previous AssCreed game.

Overall, for me, AC4 is a mediocre AssCreed game that wasted a lot of potential. It is not a “bad” game, but it does not deserve any of the hyped reviews. I can only recommend it at the steam sale price.
  23. Dec 23, 2015
    Assassin's Creed is a series that every gamer has heard of, and one most have tried but up until now I have somehow avoided it, without trying to. I opted to start with Black Flag due to the fact pirates are cool, and that's as good of a reason as any in my book! I also read plenty of reviews and most people rate Assassin's Creed II and Black Flag as the best in the series and I liked theAssassin's Creed is a series that every gamer has heard of, and one most have tried but up until now I have somehow avoided it, without trying to. I opted to start with Black Flag due to the fact pirates are cool, and that's as good of a reason as any in my book! I also read plenty of reviews and most people rate Assassin's Creed II and Black Flag as the best in the series and I liked the look of Black Flag more.

Now, I have to say I like elements of it but overall it's not quite as good as I was expecting for a number of reasons. First off, I had no idea the games were a simulation and you were just some guy logging into the world for research purposes, this completely threw me off and was one of the reasons I couldn't really get into the game. For example, I was just starting to get into the story (which I enjoyed, mostly) when suddenly I'm told to log off of my workstation and walk around the office to access a colleagues computer to hack into their email, I **** you not, I had to stop being a pirate to go read **** emails. Every time I was brought back into the real world it completely killed any story immersion and ruined the overall experience.

A big selling point of Black Flag was the naval combat system and honestly, I didn't enjoy it, especially in the beginning when your ship is without upgrades. And speaking of upgrades, as I chose not to do all the side fluff I was extremely low on currency which meant my ship was always under geared for quests and I was often told to upgrade the Jackdaw before continuing. I also found myself unable to afford new pistols and swords which was a shame.

In comparison I did enjoy the melee combat system though, while it's simple and does get repetitive after awhile it is satisfying and fun, jumping off a building and skewing two guards on your way down never got old throughout my playthrough. It would have been nice to gain access to combos and special moves as you progressed later in the game which never happened, something which Mad Max did really well, it would have helped with the combat feeling stale after awhile. Another big part of the game other than hand to hand combat was the parkour, you can run across rooftops, climb up towers, swing from trees and go almost anywhere you want to, but at the same time it does feel very scripted in a way. For example I wanted to climb up through a window but the game wouldn't let me until I took one shimmy to my right, there was no reason for this, Edward could have clearly gotten through the window where I asked him to but the game just wasn't coded to allow it, stuff like this happened all the time and it was quite frustrating.

A huge plus for the game was the voice work, especially Matt Ryan (Constantine) as Edward, but the entire cast was well voiced and it really helped to push the story which sadly felt fragmented due to the way it was told. You would often skip ahead in time and find yourself in a new area after jumping on your boat and sailing out to sea. I felt this really made the story confusing at times. This coupled with the immersion killing real life sequences definitely hurt what could have been a very enjoyable story overall.

Technically the game worked fine for me, it's 2 years old now so you'd expect it to but even with a GTX 970 I had to turn off physx entirely, as well as lowering a few settings to maintain 60fps 99% of the time @ 1080p. The in-game vsync did cause issues though, the game uses double buffering which meant whenever I dropped even a couple of frames the FPS would drop to a locked 30fps. To fix this I had to disable vsync in-game and force it along with triple using D3DOverider. Overall the game looked and ran nicely with a little tweaking so I can't complain too much on this front.

Overall the game was OK, it didn't blow me away but it did do enough to keep me interested in the series and I will be moving onto Syndicate next which apparently fixes some of the issues I had with Black Flag, especially the real life segments which are now relegated to short cut scenes instead of lengthy playable sections. Hopefully Ubisoft will scrap the whole simulation angle in the next game and just stick to being period themed throughout.
  24. Dec 12, 2015
    Gameplay : 8
    Graphics : 9
    Story : 8
    Sound : 8
    Overall : 8
  25. Dec 11, 2015
    This game is to Assassin's Creed 3 what 2 was to the first one. Even though the story is written in the same way as the other games, the mechanics feel somewhat different. It's the only game apart from AC2 that has truly had any innovations up until 2015. They incorporated the ships from AC3 and then they got rid of it in Unity to come back to old boring style.
    It's truly one of the only
    It's truly one of the only decent AC games left.
  26. Oct 1, 2015
    Never enjoyed an Assassin's Creed game before (and I tried them all) until I played this. The 40+ hours that followed were a blur of awesome. Thoroughly entertaining game, sadly the games before and after havn't lived up to the greatness of this title.
  27. Sep 8, 2015
    this game is great successor of this AC series. storyline is a little boring. and supporting character has no impression. but the view of world is charming.
  28. Aug 19, 2015
    I think ist one of the best Assassins Creed's since the Ezio Triology. Cool and Long Story with much Things to to when you dont kill enemys like entering ships and other coll Things like assassination missions. Good Game for every Fan of Pirates a must have.
  29. Jul 28, 2015
    Il miglior Assassin's creed, per me, per ora (ho giocato 2,3 e questo). Completamente free-roaming con una mappa enorme, anche se per la maggior parte è acqua. Per spostarsi si usa la nave, che è l'elemento più importante del gioco. La nave si può personalizzare esteticamente e si può potenziare, e dà grandi soddisfazioni. In giro per la mappa si incontrano navi nemiche, ognuna con un suoIl miglior Assassin's creed, per me, per ora (ho giocato 2,3 e questo). Completamente free-roaming con una mappa enorme, anche se per la maggior parte è acqua. Per spostarsi si usa la nave, che è l'elemento più importante del gioco. La nave si può personalizzare esteticamente e si può potenziare, e dà grandi soddisfazioni. In giro per la mappa si incontrano navi nemiche, ognuna con un suo livello (in base alla potenza) e con carichi di vario tipo (zucchero, rum, metallo, ecc..). Assaltare le navi nemiche è molto figo e utile, in quanto i materiali servono ad ottenere denaro e a potenziare la nostra nave. L'aspetto tecnico è veramente notevole, anche se nvidia physx è implementato male (uccide del tutto le performance). A parte questo il gioco gira benissimo, è ben ottimizzato. Ho riscontrato almeno 3 bug fastidiosi, a livello di gioco (barche che volano in cielo, barche sottomarine, gente che spawna a 3000 metri..), ma niente di che, basta premere "ricarica" e il gioco ricarica tutto correttamente.. Storia avvincente e ben scritta, personaggi curati e molto interessanti, tecniche stealth ben fatte e armi come la cerbottana sono fantastiche. Longevità sopra la media, audio curatissimo e canzoni marinaresche fantastiche.. Un gran bel gioco, consigliato agli amanti dello stealth e.. degli assassin's creed, quindi dell'ambientazione storica curata e tutto il resto. Expand
  30. Jul 11, 2015
    For AC4 if you type in google "AC4 climb, the first thing to appear is "windmill" >> with the pc controls it is almost impossible to make it, the character, if on the windmill's vane, just lets go and falls for any button, the camera is in an odd angle and you can't see what you're doing. I wouldn't give a f.ck, because there were lot of stupid things in AC before, I would just skip, BUTFor AC4 if you type in google "AC4 climb, the first thing to appear is "windmill" >> with the pc controls it is almost impossible to make it, the character, if on the windmill's vane, just lets go and falls for any button, the camera is in an odd angle and you can't see what you're doing. I wouldn't give a f.ck, because there were lot of stupid things in AC before, I would just skip, BUT this is a part of the main quest, so either you climb or you can't continue. Therefore I give this title a 0. If you put a glitch into the main quest and you not patch it, your game is worthless. Expand
  31. Jun 26, 2015
    Interesting Game with beautiful graphics, amazing sea and landscape details, wonderful characters details and textures, game play is good as well, and as usual it is an assassins creed game, fighting mechanics is poor compared to batman arkham, or shadow of mordor.
  32. Jun 22, 2015
    EDIT: I played this game again, now i give it a 7/10

Well, this game had the worst music in all AC games, the most laggy AC game, the story wasn't interesting at all ( just the ending ), i have played all AC titles at least 2 times, except for this one.

This game had the best stealth missions, and ship battles were awesome, i hope Assassin's Creed: rogue is better
  33. Jun 2, 2015
    Amazing soundtrack, so glad AC series shifted from lame music of Jesper Kyd to Epic Orchestral style music. Good Job Ubisoft. (Had to oppose those trolls who apparently liked lame compositions by Kyd which i absolutely hated, but i guess its a matter of perspective and you kids cannot judge the game by music which apparently only you cant handle)
    Anyway besides that this game simply out
    Anyway besides that this game simply out shadows the series gives you hope that something good can come out still. I think this game to its predecessors is what AC2 was to AC1. It simply makes you forget about real world and get lost in the world of Caribbean full of pirates. Occasional bugs here and there but they don't irritate you at all, and sometimes they simply give you laughs. I wish my Laptop could handle graphicks on higher settings, but even if you crank up medium setting, you still ge to admire the effort Ubisoft put in improving their engine. (Water looks almost as real as crysis 3 cudos Ubi). Im not even third way through the story (which is intriguing and very interesting) but I already put almost 50 hours in this game just exploring the amazing world. Also Kenway Fleet is terrific and gives a fresh new perspective to assassin training that AC Brotherhood introduced (instead of rescuing assassins you raid powerful battleships to make your fleet stronger). Oh most importantly the game also has areas where you have to solve puzzles and climb through very beautifully crafted caves (this is where AC3 blew for me). there is also harpooning treasure hunting, fort raiding, MEGAShip battles, etc etc etc. Kudos Ubisoft
  34. Apr 7, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I personally think that AC IV was quite a good game, but there was just something about the game that frustrates me a lot. When I first played the game, I didn't really know what it was about, because it was the first AC game I had ever played. When I got to the mission Diving For Medicines, the game lagged a lot (it already lagged since the beginning), and it was very strange. After I tried to restart the computer, I saw a message saying something about a damaged save game and that I had to start again. I started again, but it kept happening, around the same time during my progress of the game. Then it happened a THIRD time, and I was just fed up with it, and thought it was the worst AC game ever, even though I had not played the others. The lagging also lowered the gameplay experience, and it made free running, parkour, and fighting much harder. At the end, I just uninstalled the game.

There are still some things good about the game, such as the ship boarding or the free roam, but the others were just annoying. I thought back of a mission I spent nearly an hour and fifteen minutes on, which was Nothing is True. I mean, why do you need to knock out the Assassin's stealthily? I don't mean to kill them, but Kenway could have just walked up to one and told her he wanted to meed James Kidd (her real name's Mary Read (SPOILERS)) as he did in the novel!

The mission mentioned above is still quite hard and makes me angry when it comes to thinking of it, and by the name of the mission, it sounds quite exciting and full of action and adventure and all that, but it's all about knocking out Assassin's and parkour and skill and stealth , and nothing related to "Nothing is True"!

Therefore, I consider you download the game via Ocean of Games (which is legit but takes quite a long time) so that you don't have to waste a lot of money on this game, if you do agree with me. I still encourage you to try playing it and see if it is fun playing or not.
  35. Mar 22, 2015
    What an amazing and enjoyable game! A pirate simulation fantasy come true with a great story, engaging characters, superb graphics, capped off with fun and addictive game play.

The seafaring and ship combat are easily the highlight of this game, they are just so well done, always visually spectacular and never became tiresome. What made this game fall short of a perfect 10 for me?

What made this game fall short of a perfect 10 for me? The modern-day game play sections were a chore, at times annoying and distracted from the whole experience. Also repeating some of the main story missions again and again to achieve a perfect synchronization by completing the optional objectives at times became annoying.

That said I'll definitely be back soon to play through the Freedom Cry DLC campaign.
  36. Feb 12, 2015
    This game is horribly unoptimized & barely playable. Ubisoft won't fix it because, "90% of PC gamers are pirates." If you have a PC that's as strong as a tank you can probably play this game. If not, you're SOL. It's barely playable IF you're lucky. FPS problems, constant crashes, freezes, I even had the game run at 0FPS. Yes, 0 FPS. It's a disgrace that Ubisoft has fallen so low that theyThis game is horribly unoptimized & barely playable. Ubisoft won't fix it because, "90% of PC gamers are pirates." If you have a PC that's as strong as a tank you can probably play this game. If not, you're SOL. It's barely playable IF you're lucky. FPS problems, constant crashes, freezes, I even had the game run at 0FPS. Yes, 0 FPS. It's a disgrace that Ubisoft has fallen so low that they would let themselves become so blinded by greed that they just flat out don't give a crap anymore.

The controls are clunky, combat is streamlined to mash X constantly while hitting B every so often to block. You will not be able to run anywhere without climbing up a wall you didn't want to climb. Story is long, drawn out & boring. The tutorial alone is about 3-4 hours & it drags.

The best part of the game is the ship battles, but the game is so terribly optimized that you will have freezes or crashes if there are too many ships on screen. I was in one battle where it was me VS 10 other ships & the game started running at 0 FPS. I thought it crashed, but nope. One frame just froze in place while the game kept running. I was impressed by this as I've never had a game run at 0 FPS ever before.

While this game is called "Assassin's Creed" you will not need to stealth anywhere in the game other than for 'optional' syncs. The stealth mechanics are so drull & simple. It's like they went backwards entirely or they think everyone who plays their Creed games now are idiots (Which they must be if they keep buying this crap). You can be face first inside a guard's anus & they still won't notice you. It's pathetic.

0/10. Don't buy this unoptimized half-assed port. Go play AC2 instead.
  37. Feb 3, 2015
    VERSION: Steam (XBOX controller)
    PROS: + ship combat is better than before + stealth is more important (i.e. "don't be detected" objective is common) + all weapons have situations where useful
    CONS: - uninteresting protagonist and nonsensical story - annoying stuff = sharks, eavesdropping missions, grinding (stealing ships), op'd "legendary ships" Okay but not compelling. The cracks
    VERSION: Steam (XBOX controller)

Okay but not compelling. The cracks are starting to show in the series: being better than AC3 is not very high praise but seems to be what everyone liked best about this installment. Definitely disregard the stuff about a great story, too: pirates were/are selfish thieves and their motives really aren't a strong enough basis for an entire storyline as you'll find out if you bother with this.
  38. Jan 23, 2015
    This game is awesome.The locations that is featured in this game is also awesome.Mind blowing Graphics.With stunning story line.The Naval part of the game is a real break through.There is a lot of interesting things to do in this game.And the most fun part of this game that is there is no Glitches or Bugs in the game.
  39. Dec 31, 2014
    A decent game I suppose but nothing particularly impressive. The game refines some of the mechanics introduced in AC3, but still suffers from a whole lot of filler type side quests and collectibles which probably consist of 60-70% of the game. Naval combat remains the highlight of the game and is for the most part quite enjoyable, though boarding ships can become a tedious affair due toA decent game I suppose but nothing particularly impressive. The game refines some of the mechanics introduced in AC3, but still suffers from a whole lot of filler type side quests and collectibles which probably consist of 60-70% of the game. Naval combat remains the highlight of the game and is for the most part quite enjoyable, though boarding ships can become a tedious affair due to how chaotic and clustered it can get.

Graphics are fine, as is the sound design. Edward's story/life journey is interesting enough, but often feels irrelevant in the grand scheme of the whole modern templars vs modern assassins plot though.

Overall rating: 7.5/10 (rounded down)
  40. Dec 29, 2014
    This game is great as long as you don't play the main storyline. Lots of tailing missions. The ship to ship combat is pretty cool and one of my favorite aspects. Graphics are amazing as with every modern game. Story didn't hold my interest despite trying to watch all the cutscenes. You can tell this game was pushed out to make more money as with a little bit more time invested itThis game is great as long as you don't play the main storyline. Lots of tailing missions. The ship to ship combat is pretty cool and one of my favorite aspects. Graphics are amazing as with every modern game. Story didn't hold my interest despite trying to watch all the cutscenes. You can tell this game was pushed out to make more money as with a little bit more time invested it could be amazing. Expand
  41. Dec 28, 2014
    I can't bilive how ♥♥♥♥♥♥ awesome is this game. You need to understand that i don't like AssasinCreed franchise, i despise because of ♥♥♥♥♥♥ gameplay and misions ( You are a fukin silent assasin that's why called ''Assassin's Creed'' but the game is so idiotic and repetitive nothing silent in this franchises.
    Now back to BLACK FLAG i freaking love it ; WAY? you ask because ,you say that
    Now back to BLACK FLAG i freaking love it ; WAY? you ask because ,you say that you hate AssassinCreed franchise, because it haze nothing to do with the franchise beside the stupid movement , but otherwise is a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ PIRATE GAME with boat navigation, treasure hunt, robbed wat boats you found, pirates sings, and NO ♥♥♥♥♥♥ ASSASINS CREED ♥♥♥♥♥♥ STORY.
    This game is a masterpiece if you like pirates , and you want to play a good pirates game besides Risen 2.
  42. Dec 3, 2014
    sucks dead men's balls, **** control system, unresponsive. no **** suppport for 21:9 monitor. Runs like **** on 2....YES 2 **** 970's **** this peice of utter ****
  43. Dec 3, 2014
    Good game. The graphics are nice on max. You really need a game pad to play this game right. I hooked a controller up and it makes a world of difference as opposed to using mouse and keyboard. i give this game an 8 because everything gets little redundant after a while but non the less it's fun
  44. Nov 28, 2014
    This game is the best pirate ship simulator on the market, has more than its share of reveal moments, and has incredible immersion. Gives me back hope for the future of this franchise. Check out my full review here: http://youtu.be/qh_YFfREmL0?list=PLVV9YY5ptu0Vp36RghchiedKziv5l3liL
  45. Nov 20, 2014
    The game looks good. Ran fine on my machine, with some odd glitches here and there. Never gamebreaking though.

The sailing is fun. Boarding a ship is fun. As is blowing a ship to smithereens. What isn't fun is on-rails missions with inexplicably-placed guards, nonsensical fail conditions, telescopic x-ray vision enemies and the player character randomly deciding to end it all by plunging to his death from the top of a Man o' War while you were trying to make him climb down in a more normal fashion.

Good: Sailing
    Bad: Movement and its controls, enemy placement in missions
    Ugly: Story missions in which you do neither pirating not assassinating (most of them)
  46. Nov 17, 2014
    I will start by saying sword fights and ship battles are very cool. Graphics look good for a game like this. It's better than unity. The looting and such are cool, upgrades, crafting is nice but the difficulty is so tough, you can spend 5 minutes sometimes in an easy sword fight. The bugs don't get in the way of gameplay, plenty of settings for just about everything. The chess game isI will start by saying sword fights and ship battles are very cool. Graphics look good for a game like this. It's better than unity. The looting and such are cool, upgrades, crafting is nice but the difficulty is so tough, you can spend 5 minutes sometimes in an easy sword fight. The bugs don't get in the way of gameplay, plenty of settings for just about everything. The chess game is awesome.

Here's something I just cannot get away from. Some mission's will have you chase down someone throughout a city, objects and little seller's, hideout buildings and ladders, etc. sticking out into you're running path makes you're character grab a hold of everything he gets close to and starts climbing it like a monkey and you've lost the person you were chasing after. I like how you can jump around like a monkey all over the city but it can get annoying when you're character wants to climb onto everything and doesn't want down.

Giving 9/10.
  47. Nov 12, 2014
    It seems quite fun and intriguing in the beginning, but... then you remember that Desmond is dead and frankly speaking the story is not that mystically fun anymore, than you start to notice that you've played 40+hrs of the game and the story is completed for 12% only, and the game itself - 40%... and you already fed up of this boring need-for-speed like ships (after full upgrade), hardIt seems quite fun and intriguing in the beginning, but... then you remember that Desmond is dead and frankly speaking the story is not that mystically fun anymore, than you start to notice that you've played 40+hrs of the game and the story is completed for 12% only, and the game itself - 40%... and you already fed up of this boring need-for-speed like ships (after full upgrade), hard coded and scripted legendary ships, boring ship fights (as you can kick all asses without significant efforts) and all the other boring and repetitive things. The last so much boring part was Brotherhood, and once again they decided to do this... Unfinished game without soul and creativity... Expand
  48. Nov 12, 2014
    I really liked this game. It was not AC3. That's all. It's well written, amazing graphics, never had a problem with the game (aside from no eye-finity support) and didn't really get too bored out of the game. Its honestly a good game.
  49. Nov 11, 2014
    Gameplay (of 10) : 8
    Story (of 10) : 8
    Graphic (of 10) : 8
    Sound (of 10) : 7

Total : 7.9 / 10

Total score is weighted average of four factors, respectively Gameplay, Story, Graphic, Sound.
  50. Nov 11, 2014
    At first the game look incredible with it's scenery and other elements. But after playing it for a couple of hours, I realised something; this, to be honest, has got to be one of the worst Assassin's Creed games so far. It was constant sailing and stupid pirate **** having nothing to do with the original plot line, and no development was made. It was a complete waste of time, and the firstAt first the game look incredible with it's scenery and other elements. But after playing it for a couple of hours, I realised something; this, to be honest, has got to be one of the worst Assassin's Creed games so far. It was constant sailing and stupid pirate **** having nothing to do with the original plot line, and no development was made. It was a complete waste of time, and the first out of the 6 games I didn't finish. This being said, I don't think I'll be purchasing any more Assassin's Creed games from now on. Expand
  51. Nov 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I met the AC series with this game and now i'm thinking that i've not missed anything. The games is boring,bad movement,silly missions,and stupid "optional" missions. The graphics and sounds average,maybe a bit more than average.
    I'm very dissapointed. İ can't imagine a "gamer" that enjoys this game. Do not buy this ,this is one of the worst game that i've ever played.
  52. Nov 4, 2014
    The game is quite good and I will say that the graphics are amazing, especially out in sea. I have logged quite some hours on this game and I will admit that at times it becomes repetitive which at times can be boring. I've actually yet to finish the game but I know that I'm not far from it because I was there when a friend beat it, but instead I'm doing the side missions and what not.The game is quite good and I will say that the graphics are amazing, especially out in sea. I have logged quite some hours on this game and I will admit that at times it becomes repetitive which at times can be boring. I've actually yet to finish the game but I know that I'm not far from it because I was there when a friend beat it, but instead I'm doing the side missions and what not. It's a great game to play and I don't think you'll regret investing time into it, so I would recommend that you play the game if given the opportunity. Expand
  53. Oct 24, 2014
    i'm enjoying playing assassin creed black flag.. but can any company created some online game with stat assassin creep black flag + uncharted water online and combine their ship gameplays.. hope this idea can improve future of gaming
  54. Oct 6, 2014
    It gives you sea sickness after playing... you just can`t figure out if you are throwing up because of the stupid game or because of the fact that everything keeps moving after you close the game.

Since AC2, all those games are getting worse! Only bought it because it was almost free in Humble Bundle. Well. If you are looking for a good game, try something else.
  55. Oct 3, 2014
    Ever since AC 1 came out I been hooked nothing in this game more or less need to change, story is great music is AWSOME the characters are just great all in all the series are well worth spedning every penny you have on :-)
  56. Oct 2, 2014
    This is easily one of my all-time favorite games. The story sucks you in, like a book you cant put down. The graphics manage to blow me away, even on low settings. The soundtrack gave me goosebumps, and was always appropriate for the situation. Controls were smooth and simple, but without making the game too easy. If you are an assassins creed fan, or just any old gamer, buy it immediately.
  57. Sep 24, 2014
    What shame.. No game can be good when it performs like a dog.. I have loads of games (similar to this) and they run smoothly without faffing around. I just don't understand why a games company can do this??? If you look on the web you will see loads and loads of people wanting to fix time lags!!

Second, the game gets off to a bad start.. The first mission you will probably end up looking for help. I spent two hours roaming around doing nothing. When I read up on advice it directs you to go into a "red area" which you would assume was unavailable.

Game gets better and better but normally I would have stopped wanting a refund!!!!!!!!
  58. Sep 4, 2014
    This game to me is proof that they are slowly getting away from all the things that made the Assassin's Creed franchise so good. I used to be a HUGE AC fan and I still am a big fan of previous games but I'm really losing interest in AC. It is just not the same anymore. I can't find many redeeming qualities. It's still decent but not what I it once was.
  59. Aug 24, 2014
    I got the 100% in about 80 hours. I literally did everything there was to do and I don't regret it. Little secrets and collectibles unlock special weapons or outfits or records or notes that unveil many details about the whole templars-assassins-abstergo thing. Also, this Black Flag is not a normal assassin's creed. The conspiracy part is only explored through secrets (mostly), the storyI got the 100% in about 80 hours. I literally did everything there was to do and I don't regret it. Little secrets and collectibles unlock special weapons or outfits or records or notes that unveil many details about the whole templars-assassins-abstergo thing. Also, this Black Flag is not a normal assassin's creed. The conspiracy part is only explored through secrets (mostly), the story is very different from the other ones but that was expected (just think of the end of AC3).

There is not much to say. I think that if someone likes the AC series, would like every AC. I personally found a big improvement from AC1 to AC2, and the standard has always stayed the same. Black Flag is a different approach that will for sure develop in a next chapter. The setting (pirates, sailing, caribbean) is very appealing to me and something different that made me forgive the lack of main story, little related to what has happened until now with Desmond. But as I said, there are some secrets to be found that will explain many things here and there about the whole conspiracy and desmond's past.

On the technical side, it is wonderful. The best ocean ever, together with the Cryengine 3. HBAO+ still looks very very good and animations are wonderful. Combats are still a - , it is basically impossible to die while fighting 20+ enemies...too easy, but exploration and views will compensate that.

60. Aug 13, 2014
    From the first moment i start like this game more and more.. Assassins, Captain Edward and Blackbeard are so phenomenaly made here.. ahh ^^ Game looks very beautiful, with my high end PC i have nice smoothly fps, without any new patches. DLC content for this game is well maded too, but i just don't like one think.. Upgrading island is very bad, i wait more from it. But for me.. Well thisFrom the first moment i start like this game more and more.. Assassins, Captain Edward and Blackbeard are so phenomenaly made here.. ahh ^^ Game looks very beautiful, with my high end PC i have nice smoothly fps, without any new patches. DLC content for this game is well maded too, but i just don't like one think.. Upgrading island is very bad, i wait more from it. But for me.. Well this is best part of Assassins, even part 3 was not so good how Black Flag.. :) 10/10 its really masterpiece of Assassins ! Expand
  61. Aug 5, 2014
    This is among the worst stupidest games they made in the series....the whole ship battle thing is so stupid and frustrating, trying to aim and control the ship at the same time is a horrible frustrating experience

and "assassin abilities"?...edward is just some guy who stole the clothes of a real assassin...how does that give him assassins creed abilities?? and how does this make it an assassins creed game?...the is the most stupid plot in these series so far it has nothing to do with anything...there's really no point in this game at all.
  62. Jul 22, 2014
    One reason should be enough. And it's called U PLay. I'm not buying these ubisoft games anymore. I don't like to be forced to feed your data mining software. I also don't like to be forced to have another game client on top of Steam. And I don't like to have the game crashing to desktop that often.
  63. Jul 18, 2014
    The best gameplay is the series, and it captures the atmosphere of its setting brilliantly, but ultimately feels a little bit strange like ACIII before it. Perhaps the locales were too "new" to support one of the big draws of the Ezio series: uncovering mysterious tombs and retrieving artefacts.

The story is okay if not really good, but I'd prefer a story that's a bit humdrum but doesn't make me wince with its many po-faced howlers (looking at you, AC:Revelations and ACIII). AC:Brotherhood took some knocks for its silly villains, but I'll take that camp theatrical scene-chewing over a story that thinks too much of itself any day. AC:R's writer does a much better job this time, supplying a story that carries you along well enough, with many nice little touches in the dialogue and some touches of daft WTF-ery. There's not enough there to make you really invested, and you'll see certain twists a mile away, but as games go it's decent.
  64. Jul 13, 2014
    Easily the best game in the Assassin's Creed franchise. After the low that was Assassin's Creed 3, I think most fans can agree that we were worried about the next AC being a disappointment, as well.

Connor was probably the most disliked AC character to date, with his monotone, mediocre voice-acting and overall dull "must do right" character. Edward Kenway, on the other hand, brings a

Edward Kenway, on the other hand, brings a much lighter tone to the franchise, akin to Jack Sparrow.

The story is great. The combat, crafting, free-running and everything else has all been revamped. I bought this game the day it came out and it has quickly become my favorite Assassin's Creed.
  65. Jun 29, 2014
    I feel kind of weird liking this game when I absolutely loathed AC3, but I'll try and explain why this iteration kept my attention the whole way through.
    STORY/DESIGN: (5/10) - On the one hand, the story is boring, and there's no real climax/payoff at the end, it's just a-bunch-of-stuff-that-happens that seems to rely on player time investment to make us connect emotionally rather than an interesting plot. On the other hand, the main character is somewhat unique in that his major motivation is making money and he aggressively wants to avoid joining either of the warring factions. But the most important part of the story is that, unlike AC3, it is mostly unobtrusive.
    GRAPHICS: (9/10) - this is a gorgeous looking game in almost every respect. There's a good variety of environments, from period cities of varying elevations (to facilitate the freerunning) to deep jungle to tropical islands.
    GAMEPLAY: (7/10) - this is kind of hit-and-miss, depending on what the game asks of you. Each of the 4 gameplay types represents about a quarter of the experience:
    Ship-to-ship combat is good (7/10), kind of like space combat games if you couldn't move up or down, but what makes it interesting is a very developed, shifting 3D ocean that is constantly buffetting your ship and changing the angles. I also like how quickly you go from sailing to aiming a side cannon at individual enemie on a ship, then swing over on a rope and go straight into hand-to-hand combat. One nice touch is that you can sneak-swim onto an enemy ship that's otherwise overpowered for your ship, kill all the soldiers in hand-to-hand, then return to your ship and conquer the now weakened and crippled ship in one shot. What I dislike about ship-to-ship combat is that, other than size and flag color, basically all ships you fight are identical in look and structure. I feel like they could have designed more than one enemy for you. Additionally, it would have been nice to go below decks for combat, instead of just up the masts once in awhile.
    Freerunning (3/10) hasn't really changed from AC3, but the environments are quite a bit better and smoother, particularly in jumping from tree-to-tree. It's very intuitive, but it's still hold-down-a-button and point the analog stick, whereas any true platformer would require individual presses of the jump button. There's also a swimming mechanic for underwater side missions, which is cool, but slow and eventually gets boring.
    Combat (5/10) has a few new enemy types that often require a different button press (i.e. "stun") to defeat certain enemies, plus the ability to throw enemies (off ledges or into other enemies) instead of insta-kill adds another layer. And sometimes you have to press a button to grab a human shield just before you're shot. But it's still way too easy to be fun most of the time.
    Stealth (5/10) is still functional but not improved. It's still based primarily on moving between bits of grass and insta-killing anything that gets near. Your only other options are a berserker dart (makes an enemy attack his friends), hire dancers to distract guards, and a smoke bomb escape; that's fairly paltry compared to any other stealth game.
    DESIGN: (9/10)
    The game starts with you experiencing the major gameplay types (ship-to-ship combat, freerunning, stealth, then combat) all the in the first mission with only a few seconds of cutscenes intruding on that. There are FAR fewer enforced-slow-walk-for-plot-exposition parts than in AC3, though there are still some. Similarly, you spend very little time in the "future" world outside the animus, another great choice, although even this half-hour total was still the worst part of the game. I never even got to the sailing portion of AC3 because I couldn't tolerate the pathetic "platforming" and the fact that they buried the good stuff so late in the game, but AC4 understands that it is a game and puts its best feet forward. There are a bunch of side missions, and you never have to do any of them more than once if you dislike one. And if you just like open-ended missions where you get to a guarded target and assassinate him, there are like 30 of those as "assassin" side missions. So it's a long game (21 hours) but it held my interest long enough for me to beat it. If they could just make you actually press the "jump" button when they wanted you to jump and made the melee combat more challenging/interesting, this game could have been a 9/10 easily.
  66. Jun 21, 2014
    You get one button combat system which makes game extremly easy and makes stealth useless, boring gameplay (only good thing was ship battles, nothing more), poor story and same graphics as last game for ~50€? No thank you.
  67. Jun 19, 2014
    I pretty much enjoyed sailing the ship, the lots of collectibles. At first, the controls felt strange; I almost always pressed the right mouse button to run but in AC4, the free run is mapped to shift, which makes more sense now that I've finished the game. Good thing that now you can set markers via mouse clicks and don't need to switch to keyboard to hit enter once the marker isI pretty much enjoyed sailing the ship, the lots of collectibles. At first, the controls felt strange; I almost always pressed the right mouse button to run but in AC4, the free run is mapped to shift, which makes more sense now that I've finished the game. Good thing that now you can set markers via mouse clicks and don't need to switch to keyboard to hit enter once the marker is positioned via the mouse. Having only limited optional objectives definitely helps avoid the cursing words. The missions were heavy on the usual hide-follow-listen instant fail. Looking for collectibles in towns and cities were fun and now they show up on the map without the need to buy location maps; helps streamline the experience. Two tediousness I encountered were the swimming to shore and back and capturing enemy ships. Both were fun at first, but became slow and somewhat annoying later on. At least the Freedom Cry DLC recognized this and put boats onto shores so one can return to ship immediately. Expand
  68. Jun 12, 2014
    Assassin's creed franchise has taken a recent nosedive in terms of quality with revelations and AC III ..but this game has restored my faith in the series.. the game takes itself lightly and deviates from the assassins vs templar plot.. the best part of black flag is its naval combat and customization of the ship with good aesthetics and upgrades. its has a perfect balance with land andAssassin's creed franchise has taken a recent nosedive in terms of quality with revelations and AC III ..but this game has restored my faith in the series.. the game takes itself lightly and deviates from the assassins vs templar plot.. the best part of black flag is its naval combat and customization of the ship with good aesthetics and upgrades. its has a perfect balance with land and sea exploration with beautiful visuals. there r wide variety of activities to do other than the main story which i feel is repetitive in some parts of the story.. Expand
  69. Jun 7, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV is an outstanding game and for me the best in the AC series. Ubisoft did almost everything right this time.

Graphics and Sound The anvil engine has turned out absolutely amazing. Great lighting, weather effects, water and more. The caribbean locations look very real and the game offers an almost completely open world with very few loading times and transitions. I

Graphics and Sound
    The anvil engine has turned out absolutely amazing. Great lighting, weather effects, water and more. The caribbean locations look very real and the game offers an almost completely open world with very few loading times and transitions. I was surprised how well the game runs on my hardware, because the graphics card (Radeon 6850HD) isn't very good compared to newer cards, yet it did reasonably well throughout most of the game with medium to high settings, although the great looking weather effects really put it on the edge.
    The music is a little similar to that in the Pirates of the Caribbean and fits the game really well and then there are the shanties that your crew sings while you sail, once you've collected the notes for the songs. Things like that really show how much work was put into this game.

Interface
    You know how every AC game had some annoying flaws with the controls, menus or gameplay itself? Ubisoft finally took the time to adress these flaws and not only on consoles, but for the PC version, too. The menus and controls are so much better. Everything can be easily controlled with mouse or keyboard and the keyboard shortcuts make a lot more sense than they did in the previous games. All the content is easily accessible through the menus, which is quite a feat considering how much content there is. To put it in other words: Finally in an AC game, the interface doesn't get in the way of gameplay.

Gameplay
    The amount of content in this game is simply incredible. Playing through the game took me almost 80 hours and I don't even have all the achievements. There is so much to do that you might almost be a bit overwhelmed at the start: Pirating, hunting, fishing, crafting and upgrading, treasure hunting, exploring, mini missions, main missions, diving and there's even a great mini game where you manage a fleet of captured ships to gain more gold. The fleet management alone can take hours and it's definitely the best mini game Ubisoft have come up with so far. You can control the fleet management and the world map from outside the game with a phone or tablet PC, for example to set waypoints without interrupting the game flow or accessing your fleet when you're not playing the game. The ships in your fleet sail in real time, so the next time you log into the game, you can reap the rewards of your illegal pirate trading business. The whole feature is optional though, so you can completely avoid it if for some reason you don't like it.
    The story is good and also a little educational, because many of the events and especially characters in the game closely resemble their real historic examples, at least as far as we known about them. In any case, it's a nice mix of fiction and history and experiencing the characters turning into pirates is really interesting and well done. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll leave it at that.
    And then of course, there's the story outside the animus, which doesn't continue too far, but is interesting nonetheless and there is a lot of information about Abstergo and the AC series to find by hacking computers, if you want to do it. The game doesn't force you to. Hacking the computers comes with new minigames that are well thought out and can be quite challening, but never too difficult.
    Black Flag feels almost like an RPG, because of how open the world is. You are not restricted by missions and can do anything at (almost) any time. The world is huge, featuring the caribbean from the Bahamas to the western coast of the Dominican Republic, even though on a smaller scale of course. I don't know how many islands there are, but I would guess about a hundred. The only other single player game with a similarly huge world that I know of is Skyrim.
    During all these hours of gameplay, I didn't find a single bug, which further proves the insane quality and polish of the game.

However, I will again deduct 1 point because of Uplay. I don't think I have to go into details as to why Uplay is crap.
  70. Jun 4, 2014
    Great game and the best Assassin's Creed title to date. Open world, life on the high seas, taking down fat merchant ships mixed with the familiar Assassin's Creed gameplay with the running and climbing and sneaking. Visually on the PC it looks great and while I can't comment on the keyboard and mouse controls, it plays flawlessly with an Xbox 360 controller. Highly Recommend picking this title up.
  71. May 30, 2014
    Same **** every year. And guess what, this year they are making 3 **** games. "Next gen" version, for old consoles (that means that both gonna be on pc) and ****ty watch dogs that is nothing more than ac.
  72. May 28, 2014
    Amazing experience...A touchy game it really kept me everytime i logged in back to play..Its not long lasting but at least for the time it lasted the experience was awesome...
  73. May 14, 2014
    Just stop making Assasin's Creed games already. Ubisoft have completely stuffed it up from AC3 already and this is no better. The nerve to take out the best part of AC3 (seafearing) and make it the premise of AC4 is just plain lazy and admittant to how bad the game is. Don't be fooled by the great graphics. The idiot-system where the player will climb over objects and laddersJust stop making Assasin's Creed games already. Ubisoft have completely stuffed it up from AC3 already and this is no better. The nerve to take out the best part of AC3 (seafearing) and make it the premise of AC4 is just plain lazy and admittant to how bad the game is. Don't be fooled by the great graphics. The idiot-system where the player will climb over objects and ladders unintentionally still exists. Yes, sprint and parkour are again the same fking button! Furthermore the completely unnecessary "keep close, don't be spotted but hurry up" missions begin within the first 30 minutes of the game already. What is this, an arcade game? I preferred AC1+2 with open world, thank you. There is no saving the franchise, it is a shocking mess. Rather remember the good old Desmond, Altair and Enzio. Expand
  74. May 6, 2014
    Pretty pirate-simulator with some fun naval combat. Let down though by the usual repetitive quests, stupid sword-play combat, and lack of a particularly interesting narrative journey or characters. An improvement for sure on the last AC. The best aspect of the game is traversing the picturesque waters in changing weather conditions on a boat full of pirates singing a song. Not much tensionPretty pirate-simulator with some fun naval combat. Let down though by the usual repetitive quests, stupid sword-play combat, and lack of a particularly interesting narrative journey or characters. An improvement for sure on the last AC. The best aspect of the game is traversing the picturesque waters in changing weather conditions on a boat full of pirates singing a song. Not much tension or drama, plenty of grind. Expand
  75. May 5, 2014
    ===========
    Apart from being a pirate simulator, which it pulls off quite well, AC4 is a poorly optimized console port of a once great series.
  76. Apr 24, 2014
    Assassins Creed IV - A Combination of All A.C Games? Did Ubisoft finally make up for AC3?

Pros: -Good Animus Storyline -Great Graphics -Made up for the fail of AC3 -Really awesome Free Roam Cons -Really bad storyline when you get out of the Animus -Laggy at times Well, as you know, Assassin’s Creed 3 was really bad, the fact that they Killed Desmond really brought it’s

Pros:
    -Good Animus Storyline
    -Great Graphics
    -Made up for the fail of AC3
    -Really awesome Free Roam

Cons
    -Really bad storyline when you get out of the Animus
    -Laggy at times

Well, as you know, Assassin’s Creed 3 was really bad, the fact that they Killed Desmond really brought it’s popularity down. But then Ubisoft made something to cover up for that. Assassin’s Creed IV, filled with Pirates, Templars, Assassins and everything you could wish for in an Assassin’s Creed Game.

This game, wow… It surprises you so much! The game-play on a Next-Gen PC/Console is just extraordinary. The game-play is really fluent and the controls are really easy to learn. The sound on the other hand is a little desynchronized with the real game.

Replayability. Replayability is the easiest thing in this game. You press the “pause” button and ta-da you have Mission Replay part. The UI is really, really awesome. It’s really user friendly and it’s really easy to use

Gameplay: The gameplay. Wow! It has a HUGE free roam! Like, the sea is huge! You have that one ship/Jackdaw and you can battle the biggest of the big ships. There’s so many islands and so many bases you can capture. You can also board ships and take over them! There is so many things in this Assassin’s Creed! It takes EVERYTHING from all the previous Assassin’s Creed games and applied all of them to this one

In the end this made up for all previous Assassin's Creed Fails.
  77. Apr 9, 2014
    This game has a great engine(1 point). It would have been a great game if it wasn't so boring. It has very little to offer other than repetitive tasks and one dimensional characters. Truly a horrible waste of resources. Unplayable
  78. Apr 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very addicting game. I've been with Assassin's Creed since the first and loved the first two. Brotherhood was a bit too dry for me to actually finish and I didn't bother with Revelations. I couldn't get into ACIII because of its slow story progression and early game restrictions alongside with its unpolished control interface and certain game mechanics (like aiming). What makes this game great compared to the others is its less restrictive exploration which begins very early in the game. Naval travel is pretty good and the ship to ship combat is great (not the best but pretty damn good). I think what makes this game great is due to the fact that it really does not feel like Assassin's Creed, especially when your going around pillaging ships. Not to mention Edward Kenway isn't really an official assassin until close to the end of the game. He's just a pirate doing whatever it takes to make his fortune. There is a lot of repetition and the difficulty is average. The combat is not as brutal as AC3 but it satisfies. Oh and for once, the cinematic trailers released were not misleading unlike AC3 where it had you believe you were going to be in huge battlefields cutting down the British Army's ranks just to reach your target. I recommend this game to AC fans and first timers alike. Expand
  79. Apr 4, 2014
    It's a very fun and engaging title with an exciting and acceptable storyline that In my opinion fully lives up to the original. It is certainly a good game however it does have it's faults. Firstly, the game runs pretty damn badly if I am honest. I can only get around 30-45 fps in some of the more intensive areas on max settings with a 780ti which to me does not seem very reasonable at allIt's a very fun and engaging title with an exciting and acceptable storyline that In my opinion fully lives up to the original. It is certainly a good game however it does have it's faults. Firstly, the game runs pretty damn badly if I am honest. I can only get around 30-45 fps in some of the more intensive areas on max settings with a 780ti which to me does not seem very reasonable at all considering that the overall graphics quality is not particularly stellar by any means. The actual game when purchased on uplay... DID NOT WORK. Seriously... I purchased this game for its full price on release and when I reached a certain point in the campaign the game began to crash and would no longer start up no matter what I did. While this may not be the developers fault it would be very nice to actually be able to finish the game that I spent £40 on and not have to purchase it off of steam to just finish the campaign. Finally... the bugs. This game is riddles with bugs that , while being hilarious, still manage to spoil immersion. Seriously you try keeping immersed while watching the jackdaw fall front first into the sea before drowning your entire crew. Expand
  80. Apr 2, 2014
    I would give this game a great review, if Ubisoft could get their **** together. Uplay is total trash, and them hanging onto it is a cancer upon the gamers. Countless people have lost save files as a result, and the fact that Ubisoft hasn't a) tried to fix it, or b) fired up a local countermeasure (like saving the files locally in an easy to find folder), is a disgrace and a shame.
    When I
    When I buy a game, I do so in the hopes that I can play it and finish it. But then that I can pick it up again a couple months later and play around some more. If I want to restart a game, I'd like it to be by my own discretion.
  81. Mar 19, 2014
    I was actually optimistic that Assassin's creed tried to shake up their tired old formula for a new game. This is not the case. I'm not sure which is more repetitive and irritating, the main quest line or everything else. It's a Ubisoft game, so 99% of the gameplay is just unlocking towers and collecting random items to unlock clothes. The other 1% is just maddeningly repetitive andI was actually optimistic that Assassin's creed tried to shake up their tired old formula for a new game. This is not the case. I'm not sure which is more repetitive and irritating, the main quest line or everything else. It's a Ubisoft game, so 99% of the gameplay is just unlocking towers and collecting random items to unlock clothes. The other 1% is just maddeningly repetitive and frustrating. For a game that seems confident that you can play to your style, I've never had to restart, reload and repeat so many missions because one tiny little detail sent the entire situation out of control, and almost 99% of that was because of the game's ridiculously irritating control system which is equally likely to send you in the wrong direction as the right one.

Not intuitive, not engaging, not very impressive.
  82. Mar 14, 2014
    I had never played an Assassin's Creed game before this one. I tried it because I heard good things about it, and I really enjoy the swashbuckling theme. Search for treasure and pilot my own ship? Sounds good! It's a pretty game and has lots to explore.

But unfortunately, I was quite disappointed in this game. The movement was fairly clunky, even though my character was quite athletic and could climb walls, walk along tree branches and tightropes.

The combat isn't fun at all. I found it rather and boring. And the computer AI was pretty ridiculous. Often times I'd think "I'll run away and climb this building, the guards will never find me there!" Just to find that as soon as I reached the rooftop to get away, maybe even jump rooftop-to-rooftop, the guard was ALREADY on the roof waiting for me. Hardly realistic that a guard can not only climb as well as my master assassin, but he knew where I was going so beamed himself up to the roof before I could even get there.

Other games have much more realistic enemies. I guess in this game I'm supposed to reload the game if I make a mistake and am discovered or chased by guards? That's not a fun way to play.

I didn't like the "modern time" alternate story either. Why is this even there? I'm supposed to be a pirate assassin, but actually no, I'm some computer programmer from the future? Confused me and wrecked the immersion. I don't feel for my character since every action is already predestined and I'm just reliving a past story. My character is essentially immortal since any failures I make are just "rescyncronized" and reset to try again. So don't worry, jump off the cliff or fight the shark with bare hands, your character is just a simulation.

I never finished it or even got much of the way in. I just wasn't enjoying myself at all, and I don't play games that are bad for the most part, just to earn the rare good parts. Games should be fun and keep you engaged throughout.
  83. Mar 12, 2014
    It is hard to like the game after you lose all your save progress. UPlay killed my save game. After looking online, this problem is very widespread and they have all sorts of suggestions on how to prevent future saved game loses. If they know this is a problem, then they either need to fix it or implement their own suggestions so that people stop losing all of their progress.
  84. Mar 11, 2014
    The franchise really jumped the shark with this one as assassinations and history are no longer the foundation of the gameplay. Now you basically have a glorified mini-game (sailing around in the Jackdaw) and collectables as the centrepiece which is as tedious as it sounds. The story is straight out of a Uwe Boll film, and I swear you can almost imagine the voice actors flinching whenThe franchise really jumped the shark with this one as assassinations and history are no longer the foundation of the gameplay. Now you basically have a glorified mini-game (sailing around in the Jackdaw) and collectables as the centrepiece which is as tedious as it sounds. The story is straight out of a Uwe Boll film, and I swear you can almost imagine the voice actors flinching when doing their third rate lines. Not that this franchise ever had a satisfying story it was always more about the characters. That being said I never connected with this character, previous protagonists especially Ezio had a personal matter setting them off into the world, this guy just wants to earn some money. I mean, that's nice for him but it doesn't make me sympathize or immerse.

As a cherry on top this game coming from a franchise which used to proud itself in its presentation of history contains almost no historical facts at all. Like, in the first 2 cities you have maybe 3 or 4 buildings you can check in the animus and that's pretty much it. All in all, this game made me really sad because of its pampering to the lowest common denominator.
  85. Mar 10, 2014
    I remember when Assassin's Creed was about story, sneaking, and planning. That time is long passed, and Black Flag is a prime showcase of that. The only reason this game could possibly get good reviews is because of blind fanboys upvoting the game simply because it's a pirate game.This is an action-oriented pirate simulation that has absolutely nothing to do with the Assassin's CreedI remember when Assassin's Creed was about story, sneaking, and planning. That time is long passed, and Black Flag is a prime showcase of that. The only reason this game could possibly get good reviews is because of blind fanboys upvoting the game simply because it's a pirate game.This is an action-oriented pirate simulation that has absolutely nothing to do with the Assassin's Creed franchise. The graphics are good but just about everything else isn't. Sound is terribly synced, especially when performing kills. The controls are slightly improved but still terrible. The optimization is beyond bad. The insane amount of context-sensitive controls and movements are incredibly frustrating, and have been throughout the whole series but Blag Flag just proves that Ubisoft has no intention whatsoever of fixing it. The story is laughable and will not interest you in the slightest and the modern day sequences are worse than ever. The gameplay is super repetitive with linear levels lining the campaign and a repetitive grind awaiting you at sea. This is the last straw for the AC series in my opinion. One of my favorite franchise has been ruined yet again by a a yearly development cycle and a greedy publisher. I'm not longer going to purchase this garbage and I highly suggest all of you do the same. Expand
  86. Mar 10, 2014
    feels like a new beginning for the franchise, far better than the mediocre third game, but all it's changes to the formula make it feel less like an AC game. they should sever all ties to assassins creed and separate it into a spinoff pirate franchise.
  87. Mar 8, 2014
    Started out decently enough except right away you're climbing towers.... Tried to get passed that in the interest of fairness. Then, once the game really started, it stayed true to the AC form..... Climb a tower, fight a crowd. Really? After so many iterations they can't get passed this formula. Granted, I'm only an hour in but it's likely to be the only hour I give. They could'veStarted out decently enough except right away you're climbing towers.... Tried to get passed that in the interest of fairness. Then, once the game really started, it stayed true to the AC form..... Climb a tower, fight a crowd. Really? After so many iterations they can't get passed this formula. Granted, I'm only an hour in but it's likely to be the only hour I give. They could've (should've) shown me something new early on. Not just a new setting and steering a boat..... and climbing towers. Maybe AC should be called Tower Climber. Expand
  88. Mar 6, 2014
    The game mechanics and controls of the sandbox are as bad as they have ever been. The pirate ship battles have been nice in the beginning, but fun faded away as soon as they got very repetitive. Especially when the bad controls and game mechanics get in your way. Imagine attacking a huge ship because you need the goods it's carrying. After a long fight, you need to kill 15 members of theThe game mechanics and controls of the sandbox are as bad as they have ever been. The pirate ship battles have been nice in the beginning, but fun faded away as soon as they got very repetitive. Especially when the bad controls and game mechanics get in your way. Imagine attacking a huge ship because you need the goods it's carrying. After a long fight, you need to kill 15 members of the crew and get the flag down. With almost no health you manage it to climb the ship mast and just before you reach the flag the protagonist jumps randomly down the mast and kills himself. Those moments have been frustrating to me. I can not imagine how a reviewer could give this game almost the same or even better score than GTA-V got.

I could imagine that Ubisofts upcoming title Watch Dogs will be based on the same crappy sandbox. This time I'm going to wait on some user reviews before I buy this game. I don't trust professional reviews any more.
  89. Mar 2, 2014
    I have had great doups about ubisoft games since they fail sometimes but this game.... while having some terrible tearing issues and Vsync doesnt work properly, it's still the best game I have played for long time!

Last time I had that gread experience was HL2.
  90. Mar 2, 2014
    Before us is the best game on the series Assassin's Creed. Black Flag is the best thing that could happen from the series! You know I do not even want to write the pros and cons of the game.
    Because of the advantages of this game, you can write for hours! And the drawbacks I can hardly write ten words, because of shortcomings in this game almost none.
    In my opinion, we have waited fact
    In my opinion, we have waited fact that Ubisoft released the same "Perfect Assassins Creed" so perfect as it seemed we were still in the distant 2007.

(Russian Review)
    Перед нами лучшая игра по серии Assassin's Creed. Black Flag это лучшее что могло произойти из серией!!! Вы знаете я даже не хочу писать достоинствах и недостатках игры.
    Потому что о достоинствах этой игры можно писать часами!!! А о недостатках я едва ли смогу написать один рядочек, потому что недостатков в этой игре практически нет.
    По моему мнению мы дождались того что Ubisoft выпустили тот самый "Идеальный Кредо Убийц" такой идеально насколько он нам казался еще в далекий 2007 год.
  91. Feb 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the game is awesome but these stupid ubisoft or ac developers specifically do not know how to write games for multicore computers, or too lazy to optimize it for pcs because consoles have 4 to 8 cores and they run fine there but when it comes to pc it only utilizes 2 cores other 2 cores jus chilling at 40% or less. i dont know why is it so hard for them to fix their engine or the game. counter strike source or global offense doubles the fps by enabling multicore rendering and there are many OLDER games can do that where Assassins creed never was able to, bravo, u guys got the dumbest coders. game is filled with bugs also and fps locked at 62 fps and it barely runs at that and i a have i5 750 4.0ghz with gtx 670 sli pc. im giving 6 because game is not smooth at all it stutters and **** all the time.
    AC developers say that they have been working with nvidia for a while now and it runs like **** on nvidia cards lol really? at which part of the game you guys work together exactly ? how to ruin the game part?
    gpu run at 85 or 88% the most in sli mode and thats if youre lucky. You guys cant even utilize powerful cards of course the game will run like crap.
  92. Feb 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. assassin's creed Black flag was terrible.the story was terrible and so It was the gameplay.It was not even an assassin's creed!we were not an assassin,we were a pirate who stole an assassin's clothes. The gameplay on the sea was stupid.About the wind on the sea,I went every where to hide from the wind.where ever I went,for example I hide my ship behind a big rock on the sea but the wind was still moving my ship.In real world that could never happen.the only reason I gave 4 to this game was blackbear death scene.the whole game was terrible. Expand
  93. PHJ
    Feb 25, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV Blackflag is a great and an outstanding Pirate game, but is far to be a great Assassin's Creed game, I think they should explain better how the main character become an assassin.
  94. Feb 24, 2014
    I've never, ever played a game I'd give a 0/10, so the people reviewing this great game as 0/10 are being ridiculous. Too bad metacritic can't filter out idiocy.

I've never really been a fan of Assassin's Creed games. But this game has the most polished controls of the series to date. While most of the game isn't ground-breaking, that's not necessarily a bad thing. It looks like they took the path of refining their game formula, rather than re-defining it. Where the game really shines is the naval combat. I've been looking for that kind of thing since I played Bethesda's somewhat lacking Pirates of the Caribbean. Taking on the legendary ships was quite the experience. The slow part of the game is, of course, everything outside the Animus. Wish they'd rein that in a bit. I'm a perfectionist, and tracking down all the optional content was a bit much (especially the deep-sea diving segments). But overall, this game is fantastic, and gorgeous on PC.
  95. Feb 23, 2014
    This is DARN FUN, well-developed, high quality game. The graphics are gorgeous, the story line is compelling, there's tons of side stuff to do to burn away hours of your time. It IS repetitive in the side missions and the little accomplishments like collecting Animus fragments and shanties are boring as hell -- but you don't have to do them. Buy now and you won't regret. I don't know whatThis is DARN FUN, well-developed, high quality game. The graphics are gorgeous, the story line is compelling, there's tons of side stuff to do to burn away hours of your time. It IS repetitive in the side missions and the little accomplishments like collecting Animus fragments and shanties are boring as hell -- but you don't have to do them. Buy now and you won't regret. I don't know what the neg reviewers are smoking but they need a new connection. Gfx look gorgeous at 2560x1440 highest settings. Expand
  96. Feb 19, 2014
    I loved the AC games up until AC3. I heard that Black Flag was better so I went out and bought it. To be fair it is a better game than AC3 but it is so horribly optimised for the PC that I don't even want to play it anymore (I got to memory 2). It lags and stutters when panning and is just horrible to play. I have a good gaming PC and don't have issue with any other games.

If you are

If you are buying this on PC then DON'T.
  97. Feb 17, 2014
    You know what: This game upsets me in so many ways. They have this really impressive graphics engine that is soooo poorly optimized. Crossfire still doesn't work. But it has improved slightly. Frame-rates can get low but the frame times remain quite consistent for the most part. This game is gorgeous though even on a single 7850. The story has been somewhere between absurd and really good.You know what: This game upsets me in so many ways. They have this really impressive graphics engine that is soooo poorly optimized. Crossfire still doesn't work. But it has improved slightly. Frame-rates can get low but the frame times remain quite consistent for the most part. This game is gorgeous though even on a single 7850. The story has been somewhere between absurd and really good.
    BUT I only have to ask myself one thing: Do I feel like a bad ass pirate when I play this game?
    Yes. Yes I do.
  98. Feb 15, 2014
    In short this game is about pirates (I know, you already knew that)...that is the game that Ubisoft made, and they want to send a message: they want to outsmart YOU. Over at Ubisoft, The CEO thinks he's a pirate, along with the investors and their crew of henchmen, the board of directors, YAAAR! Every year they bring in their pirate booty from the poor fools who pay them for pre-orders.In short this game is about pirates (I know, you already knew that)...that is the game that Ubisoft made, and they want to send a message: they want to outsmart YOU. Over at Ubisoft, The CEO thinks he's a pirate, along with the investors and their crew of henchmen, the board of directors, YAAAR! Every year they bring in their pirate booty from the poor fools who pay them for pre-orders. All they have to do is force the poor crew (the programmers, the artists, the musicians, the historians, and all other people who actually do the work, but is never appreciated for it) to retouch a template from the previous year, then put it out as a new product...YAAAR! Me so Clever Boi. They plunder millions of poor fools and kids every year; AND apparently they've been to every bay in the seven seas, OR so it seems... BUT YET, They have NOT.... they missed one very important bay. One that makes them cringe, and their skinny feet tremble with fear. The one that makes them yell for their momma. The one that makes Electronic Arts seem like little babies crying for a penny. The one that makes the RIAA and the MPAA cower in fear. The one that makes them wonder why their share price tumbled last week. The one, the only.....THE PIRATE BAY...Thanks THE PIRATE BAY, you are a life saver, YAAAR!! Expand
  99. Feb 14, 2014
    To tell the true, this is a pirate game with Assassin's Creed brand. What most of us really enjoyed was the naval system. I'm a bit bored of running on roofs and stuff of the previous games, so it was a really surprise to see how good was to set sail on this game.
  100. Feb 13, 2014
    The game is about the golden age of piracy. Edward wants to be famus and rich and because of that he initially works for the Templars and the Assassins.

Ths game has amazing graphics but the the melee fighting is terrible and aftter you destroy all the forts and lengendary ships and normal ships the ocean looks empty because the ships don´t respawn.
  101. Nov 19, 2013
    They up everything, they have trashed the story of the game, the amasing story build in assasins 1 and up at revelations and got worse at assasins 3 now its over IT THATS ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF WHATS HAPPENS WHEN A ENTERPRIZE WINS TONS OF MONEY WITH A SERIES AND THEN TURNS IT TO A NEW THING JUST BECAUSE IS MORE LUCRATIVE

1. Mar 5, 2014
    Ironically enough for a game which centers around the concept of genetic ancestry, however, it continually lets itself down by refusing to break away from its own tired and worn-out heritage,
  2. Jan 16, 2014
    Fans that were bummed out by Assassin’s Creed III will most likely find Black Flag to be a welcoming return to what they love about the series, with a great story, amazingly crafted world and smart additions to the sailing that make it a refreshing part of the Assassin’s Creed formula.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Dec 30, 2013
    Makes up for the failings of AC3, delivering a fantastic, engaging open world experience. [Jan 2014, p.78]