7.2

1. Aug 10, 2014
    It's pretty good for what it does. The story is so cheesy, i had to look away from the screen in some cut scenes (you can skip them, though). However, the gameplay is great. It lasts about two hours, but i feel like the game has a great re-playabillity. It's one of those games you will pick if you have to hit half an hour of time to kill and you're going trough your game list. Astebreed?It's pretty good for what it does. The story is so cheesy, i had to look away from the screen in some cut scenes (you can skip them, though). However, the gameplay is great. It lasts about two hours, but i feel like the game has a great re-playabillity. It's one of those games you will pick if you have to hit half an hour of time to kill and you're going trough your game list. Astebreed? Oh yeah, i could play that again. Works for me. Expand
  2. Aug 8, 2014
    the game grafis is very good, the storyline is good. The character is like ne*n g*nesis ev*ngelion. This not bad, the game is too short finish the game and bored if you playing again.
  3. Jun 6, 2014
    So I saw some random video online of this game, saw it for 20% off on steam and decided to give it a try. I was not disappointed in the game. The mechanics are great, and the game forces you to balance between using lock on shots, melee, and standard shots throughout the game. In the final boss battle, if you have not mastered all the systems, you will die. A lot. Graphics are great,So I saw some random video online of this game, saw it for 20% off on steam and decided to give it a try. I was not disappointed in the game. The mechanics are great, and the game forces you to balance between using lock on shots, melee, and standard shots throughout the game. In the final boss battle, if you have not mastered all the systems, you will die. A lot. Graphics are great, game supports 1440P as a display resolution (seems to be a 50/50 thing with indie games) and even up to 8K. The game does have a cohesive story (if you can follow it, more below about that), and lets you skip cutscenes so you aren't stuck watching stuff instead of blowing **** up. I also like that the game has a shield system that recharges when you don't get hit. It makes it less frustrating than most bullet hell games. It is still easy to die on the Hard settings, and you don't get combo points if you take damage, so there is always incentive to not get hit.

So a few reasons why this game doesn't get a 10 -

Too short. I understand that it's supposed to be a score attack game, but still, 6 stages is a bit short. I still find myself going back to beat my old high score, so the replay value is there.

Japanese only voice acting. Now, this normally isn't a problem, but when the actual text for the story is flying by super fast, and the only way to get it is the (very small) English text in the bottom left of the screen, you miss out on huge chunks of it.

The game is a solid 8.5, and I would recommend to anyone that enjoys shooters. Rounding up to 9 because the game deserves that instead of the 8, especially with the melee mechanic system that plays a pivotal role in the game.
  4. Jun 30, 2014
    One of the best shoot 'em up I've ever played. The perspective changing mechanics are truly awesome, which means the game can switch between side scrolling, top-down, and rail shooter without interrupting even a single second of your gameplay. As the spiritual successor of Ether Vapor, this game adds many more features, such as widescreen support. Excellent graphics? Check. Big Bosses?One of the best shoot 'em up I've ever played. The perspective changing mechanics are truly awesome, which means the game can switch between side scrolling, top-down, and rail shooter without interrupting even a single second of your gameplay. As the spiritual successor of Ether Vapor, this game adds many more features, such as widescreen support. Excellent graphics? Check. Big Bosses? Check. Intense action? Heck Yes. Definitely worth playing. Expand
  5. Jul 22, 2014
    really very good game...enjoy while playing this game, and graphics also awesome.my score is eight out of ten and physics mechanism also very good in this game...really very enjoyable game .http://catmarioonline.net/
  6. Jun 29, 2014
    It's an ok game but honestly there's better bullethell flash games out there now.

They may not look as cool, especially with the shifting camera angles and such, but the gameplay on them is more challenging and more fun. It also doesn't help that the voice acting is in Japanese and there's no subtitles. When you're busy dodging and killing you can't really read subtitles, so

It also doesn't help that the voice acting is in Japanese and there's no subtitles. When you're busy dodging and killing you can't really read subtitles, so storywise I had no idea why I was killing these alien robot thingies.
  7. Jul 1, 2014
    I love shmups to death This is in the uncanny valley of great shmups. It's great! But it falls just a bit short of being glorious. Benching against Ikaruga (one of the best shmups of all time) Astebreed takes a lot from its spiritual predecessors and delivers a solid drop kick to the face of arcade space blasting. Think the beauty of Ikaruga, camera of Einhander and some of the mechanicsI love shmups to death This is in the uncanny valley of great shmups. It's great! But it falls just a bit short of being glorious. Benching against Ikaruga (one of the best shmups of all time) Astebreed takes a lot from its spiritual predecessors and delivers a solid drop kick to the face of arcade space blasting. Think the beauty of Ikaruga, camera of Einhander and some of the mechanics of Radiant Silvergun with even more in store all wrapped up in a crazy fluid and chaotic package. Oh and it has a better, more fleshed out story than any of the aforementioned.

First and foremost, it's a blast, literally, such enjoyable mayhem. It's easy to feel like a badass saving humanity. Story is good. Has some EVA aspects (
  8. Jul 10, 2014
    El juego es pura adrenalina. Su duración es escasa pero muy satisfactoria. Los gráficos son maravillosos y la fluidez total. La historia es difícil de seguir con los subtítulos debido a la acción. Un gran juego.
  9. Aug 21, 2014
    Although slightly overrated, this game was a fast, fluid shoot'em up with a story behind it. The game is meant to be played through multiple times and is worth doing so.
  10. Jul 1, 2014
    Cheap bullet hell arcade game. It plays okay, but for people who do not speak japanese reading subtitles is virtually impossible. The game constantly spams the players with enemies and numerous important plot details at the same time, coupled with a lot of typical anime-style chatter from the protagonists. It's barely decent button-mashing, but nothing else.
  11. Jul 5, 2014
    Great flashy arcade style shoot em up game. This game was made in Japan and has the whole japanese/anime feel to the game play and story. Sometimes it can be tough to read the subtitles but only because the fights are so intense. One of the best action arcade shooters I have played in 2014.
  12. Oct 14, 2014
    Truly bland and ordinary shmup with questionable mechanics including the boring" feels like you're not even controlling the gunfire" drag-reticule-across-the-screen aim. Full of annoying incomprehensible non-translated dialogue - the back and forth banter is unbearable. A sub par game with extremely misleading reviews and an overall disappointing purchase. Metacritic ought to investigateTruly bland and ordinary shmup with questionable mechanics including the boring" feels like you're not even controlling the gunfire" drag-reticule-across-the-screen aim. Full of annoying incomprehensible non-translated dialogue - the back and forth banter is unbearable. A sub par game with extremely misleading reviews and an overall disappointing purchase. Metacritic ought to investigate how this ordinary 4/10 made it on the top of their ranks for a bit. Inexplicable. Expand
  13. Aug 2, 2014
    Bought this seeing the universally great reviews. Obviously I forgot that how retarded everyone can be in their taste of media content and in general. To cut to the chase, I played one game of this on normal difficulty. At first, I was really impressed. All looked ultra slick and cool. But before long, I didn't know what the **** was happening. Despite not having a clue what was going, andBought this seeing the universally great reviews. Obviously I forgot that how retarded everyone can be in their taste of media content and in general. To cut to the chase, I played one game of this on normal difficulty. At first, I was really impressed. All looked ultra slick and cool. But before long, I didn't know what the **** was happening. Despite not having a clue what was going, and how the aliens were all sying and I wasn't, despite getting battered with their sometimes unavoidable flak and gun power, I got to level 5 before I died. yes, that is right, level fkn 5 before I died, and even then I am sure that I only died out of boredom.

A game that requires no skill to win, is not a game, but an interactive 'light show' for a computer monitor. I was annoyed at blowing £10 on an interactive light show for my monitor.
  14. Dec 31, 2014
    Great visuals, audio, art and character design and, above all, brilliant gameplay.
    It's frantic shooting 90's style but uses modern hardware to switch the game mode from horizontal to vertical to 3D seamlessly as you plough your way through legions of enemy mecha and space ships.
    My only criticism is that the game feels too short, but considering how much fun it is, you'll be sure to replay it again and again.
  15. Jan 1, 2015
    A very good casual SHUMP. The graphics are great, the configuration options highlight what I love about Japanese games; missing a few key resolutions, but up to 4k scale, full button rebinding, and an audio config menu that puts US games to shame. All localized to English.
    I said casual, because it is trying to be more cinematic and therefore more forgiving since the focus is moved more away from bullethell and more towards the storyline that they seem to have put a good effort into. It's a SHUMP for couch play and those that are just getting into the genre.
    Good music (nothing really memorable,though), manga cutscenes that can be skipped, and good subtitled voiceacting make this an enjoyable game.

$14 is a great price, and on sale, it is a steal.
  16. Nov 30, 2014
    I like to play arcade style shmups and they seldom release on PC (or if they do they come with a low console-quality resolution). This game is fun and looks great. It isn't difficult to get from stage to stage, but the game does offers enough challenge for score chasing that drives you to re-play for a perfect run.
  17. Dec 25, 2014
    One of the best SHMUPS indie games i EVER PLAYED..Really enjoying.The graphics,the game,the characters its really awesome!!.Since i was playing this always..I've never been bored in this game

1. Oct 29, 2014
    Astebreed is a two-faced retro arcade game. It presents a clever scoring system along with a great fun, though it can be also boring and stereotypical. Fortunately, it gives you a choice from which perspective you wish to get to know the game.
  2. Oct 26, 2014
    A savvy mix of sweetly balanced mechanics, dazzling speed and spectacular graphics.
  3. Aug 25, 2014
    Astebreed is most fun when you try to beat it on high difficulty level without using continues while improving your score over and over again. If you’re not interested in that, you’ll spend no more than one evening with this game. [08/2014, p.73]