8.8

1. Dec 4, 2012
    AudioSurf is the best way to enjoy your music, race around a track generated from the sound of your song collecting the coloured blocks to score points. Enjoy enhancements to your song the better you play and even a nice visual show. Music will never be the same again
  2. CRL
    Jul 25, 2011
    Kind of a spin on Guitar Hero, AudioSurf puts you in a little ship traveling down a three-lane road, trying to match a bunch of colored blocks. It works perfectly in tune to the music, and each of the different 'characters' will appeal to a person's style in a different way. I got it ridiculously cheap during a Steam sale, and I enjoy it more than some games I've paid full price for.Kind of a spin on Guitar Hero, AudioSurf puts you in a little ship traveling down a three-lane road, trying to match a bunch of colored blocks. It works perfectly in tune to the music, and each of the different 'characters' will appeal to a person's style in a different way. I got it ridiculously cheap during a Steam sale, and I enjoy it more than some games I've paid full price for. It's fun, addictive, and will keep you interested as long as your music library is full. Expand
  3. Jan 15, 2012
    I tried several "play your music" type of games lately, but this one seems to be the only one to do it properly. If it had a serious budget and marketing, it would be a real blast, but its what it is.
  4. Jul 3, 2011
    Play with your music. In other words, surf it. This game is a great way to listen to all your "unappreciated" music and be entertained at the same time. This would be a PERFECT replacement for my Windows Media Player and iTunes. If only it had the repeat function...
  5. Feb 17, 2015
    Dylan Fitterer did an amazing job! His game is beautiful, relaxing and enjoyable. I liked every hour that I have spent with this game. In my opinion everybody should try it! It didnt work perfectly with every song but it's fantastic anyway!
  6. Jan 18, 2013
    A great game that's definitely worth the price and you'll keep coming back to. Audiosurf offers an enhanced musical experience, colorful visuals, addictive gameplay and a competitive edge for the more hardcore gamers out there willing to top the scoreboards. Highly recommended.
  7. Nov 13, 2011
    The ultimate casual game. Playing to your own music, your scores are entered to international leader boards. There's nothing more satisfying than getting the number one score on a track, knowing that you played better than anyone else in the world. Except perhaps the satisfaction of beating a friend's score, knowing that they'll receive an email advising them of the fact.

Initially you

Initially you can play with the "casual" characters, which provide a nice, relaxed way to learn the ropes, or simply a new way to enjoy your favourite music. As you improve there are increasingly difficult levels to test your skills.

There is a lot of depth here for those willing to find it. Especially if you have a number of friends playing the game to compete against.
  8. May 16, 2012
    Do you have to like 3 things to enjoy this game: Puzzles, Racing and Music. I just love these three subjects and thats why I can call this game amazing. It fits perfectly in what I was looking for: A very nice game for spend some quality time.

Please, if you like Puzzles and Music don't let those bad comments stop you. This game really worths the try. 10 very well spent bucks.
  9. Jul 1, 2012
    I like serious games, ones that focus on details, an engrossing, fascinating plot, I like smooth gameplay with intuitive controls, I like deep characters as well as sweet guns and awesome combos. But sometimes I don't have the time to play a game like that, and sometimes I just want a casual video game.

AudioSurf is one of the coolest casual indie games out there. Well worth the money, especially if you find it on sale, it allows you to play any audio file on your computer, and depending on the song you choose the track you ride on will be customized to the song. It'll affect the shape of the track, the speed at which blocks come at you, and so you get to enjoy your music while playing a new track in various different game modes while also scrobbling your plays with Last.FM.

Even when I don't want to play games and just rather listen to music, I sometimes play AudioSurf, after a while it's a game that feels natural, as just another way you might listen to music.
  10. Dec 9, 2012
    This game is fun to play. You can just load a song and play a game to its turn. It auto calibrates and actually changes difficulty when it gets faster and etc. as well as being a bit addictive, it was a good deal for $2.50.
  11. Jul 31, 2014
    this game is very simple yet very fun and this goes to show how simple a game can be but very very fun i love video games and i really love music so to combaine them both and i can pick what songs i want yes that = win
    i give this game an
    95 / 100
  12. Aug 21, 2013
    Call it a game, call it an interactive screen saver, none the less it is an enjoyable way to listen to music. Many complain about it's simplicity but that's the beauty of it really. The fact that it can make a track to a very under the radar song and still show you who else plays/listens to it.
  13. Dec 2, 2013
    Quite a nice game to play if you have some spare time and you don't know what to do. I like the different modes I personally mostly play mono) and the fact there is a (sort of) co-op mode.
  14. Feb 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I bought this game when it first came out in the year 2008. It cost 19.90 USD then, and I got it at full price (there wasn't so much discounts on steam back then). Was I skeptical? Yes, I was. I was skeptical because the concept of this game seems simplistic. Of course, this game has convinced me after a while that I have made the correct investment by paying for it at full price.

What this game appears to be is that it converts sound files (music files such as .mp3 ones) into a linear ongoing track of some sort. You get to control a small little car-like vehicle, though the only movement you can perform are sideways. The speed of your little car-like thingy is determined by the pace of your music, which is represented by the color of the track you are riding on. I won't go into detail on the blocks and game play, but that's basically it.

In short, this game lets you ride the music.

And yes, you can ride on almost any musical file you've loaded into the game, and this is what make this game great and worthwhile.

There is one particular game mode which I like - mono. It's basically a no-brainer where you simply hit the color blocks and avoid the grey blocks as you move forward along the track. It's a splendid mode relax yourself with, especially after a day of tiring work when all you want is some of your favorite music and soothing gameplay.

I got it at 2008, and it's 2014 now. Years passed, and many parts of my life have changed. Still, what remained the same is that, after all these years, I will still give new music a run or two here, in audiosurf.

Oh and did I mention that I am still getting e-mails from audiosurf's scoreboard saying that I have been dethroned? Yeah, it's nice to see these e-mails amidst all those work mails and all.
  15. Jan 4, 2012
    Well, where do I start with this game? Being a person who really enjoys his music you can imagine the excitement I felt when I heard about this game. Yeah sure, you have Guitar Hero and Rockband that feel more real than this game, but that is not the point of Audiosurf. This game was invented to play along to YOUR music. The music you like! This game won't satisfy your thirst for adventureWell, where do I start with this game? Being a person who really enjoys his music you can imagine the excitement I felt when I heard about this game. Yeah sure, you have Guitar Hero and Rockband that feel more real than this game, but that is not the point of Audiosurf. This game was invented to play along to YOUR music. The music you like! This game won't satisfy your thirst for adventure or anything, but it will cure those moments when youâ Expand
  16. Nov 21, 2012
    I love this game, its so fun and so relaxing! The game also works good with the music. If you like listening to music, then just buy this game, its DEFINITLY worth the 10 bucks.
  17. Jan 27, 2012
    I have only been playing this game since Jan 18 this year, but it's already on my top ten list of favourite games of all-time. Audiosurf is basically a game where you choose your own music and hit blocks to get points. Sounds like it sucks, but it's SOOOOOO fun!!!!!!!! Mainly because you play to whatever music you like. It even has Still Alive from Portal! How is that not win to you?! OneI have only been playing this game since Jan 18 this year, but it's already on my top ten list of favourite games of all-time. Audiosurf is basically a game where you choose your own music and hit blocks to get points. Sounds like it sucks, but it's SOOOOOO fun!!!!!!!! Mainly because you play to whatever music you like. It even has Still Alive from Portal! How is that not win to you?! One thing that would be cool, is Karaoke. Sounds dumb I know, but it would be kind of fun. No bugs, cool atmosphere, good graphics and overall awesometacular. Expand
  18. May 18, 2013
    Like Guitar Hero for the PC, but much better. This game allows you to play your own songs, which games like Guitar Hero do not. I cannot explain how wonderful this game is, it has many gamemodes and will keep you entertained for many hours.
  19. Jul 16, 2012
    I'd love to give Audiosurf a perfect ten - because it's the only game in my library that I'm always up for playing. My only gripes are minor - the engine that the game is based on doesn't seem very good for games, and the point system doesn't let you compare scores across different songs. There is a 'skill point' system in place which is supposed to be based on the difficulty of the songI'd love to give Audiosurf a perfect ten - because it's the only game in my library that I'm always up for playing. My only gripes are minor - the engine that the game is based on doesn't seem very good for games, and the point system doesn't let you compare scores across different songs. There is a 'skill point' system in place which is supposed to be based on the difficulty of the song you pick, but I've not seen a way to find out the skill points score for any of your playthroughs. There are ways to modify the way the game works - for example, using four lanes of coloured blocks instead of the usual three - but you have to edit the individual song tags instead of simply selecting an option in-game. --- Other than these things, this game is amazing. It's based on your music, and it heightens the experience of listening to music. It's fun. Expand
  20. Oct 30, 2011
    As a casual music game it performs very well with multiple game modes. I like how it can build a play through of any song you choose and then compare your performance online. It's good if you just want to kill a few minutes and jam out a song. It's at least worth $5.
  21. Apr 28, 2011
    You may not call this a 'video game', but it's definitely another innovative way to listen your music. Or ride it. Either way, this is not your Guitar Hero kind of game. This game is more like Tetris, by picking up color blocks and make huge clusters of the same color. What's more, the levels are designed by YOUR music! I think that's Audiosurf strongest point. It really makes you look atYou may not call this a 'video game', but it's definitely another innovative way to listen your music. Or ride it. Either way, this is not your Guitar Hero kind of game. This game is more like Tetris, by picking up color blocks and make huge clusters of the same color. What's more, the levels are designed by YOUR music! I think that's Audiosurf strongest point. It really makes you look at a different way to your music. As the tagline says, Ride Your Music. Expand
  22. Aug 9, 2013
    Highly addictive and entertaining. More games should utilize this idea as it you yourself can keep the game interesting. A good price and good value for money.
  23. May 29, 2012
    Get it on sale if you can, but honestly I just got it at full price, and I'd probably gladly pay double. This game is more addictive than crack (but a lot cheaper). And as a bonus, you can link it to last.fm to scrobble.
  24. Jan 4, 2014
    This music game is as fun as you make it. If you give it the time to play by adding your music then the game will be truly worth the money. The game is fun and quick to play and can never get boring as you repeat the music over and over and it never gets boring.
  25. Jul 20, 2012
    Awesome game, expandable as anything can be and has practically unlimited replay value (It's only limited by how many songs you own, etc) and is great fun with friends too (Try to beat each others scores!)

Anyone expecting GH or Frets on Fire from this got the wrong game, even a cursory look at a trailer or the like would show it's nothing like those.
  26. Sep 10, 2012
    If Guitar Hero and Tetris had a child, this would be it
  27. Oct 2, 2012
    This is one of the best music games I have ever had the privileged of playing. The fact that I can load any song from my music library and 'surf' to it was and is literally amazing. You will not regret getting this game. If you are holding out, or are reluctant stop waiting and get it. I have currently locked in over thirty hours on this game, and I will continue to log more. The gameThis is one of the best music games I have ever had the privileged of playing. The fact that I can load any song from my music library and 'surf' to it was and is literally amazing. You will not regret getting this game. If you are holding out, or are reluctant stop waiting and get it. I have currently locked in over thirty hours on this game, and I will continue to log more. The game never gets boring, it will last as long as you love music, which is hopefully forever. Expand
  28. Nov 21, 2013
    The game is just simply awesome. I didn't expect much from it at first but I'm so glad I got it. I literally spent 3 hours on it without even realizing. That's what happens when you combine music with fun gameplay. The game is currently on sale on the humble bundle store for only 0.99$ though the sale may have ended depending on when you're reading this review. Over all, it's a great game,The game is just simply awesome. I didn't expect much from it at first but I'm so glad I got it. I literally spent 3 hours on it without even realizing. That's what happens when you combine music with fun gameplay. The game is currently on sale on the humble bundle store for only 0.99$ though the sale may have ended depending on when you're reading this review. Over all, it's a great game, probably going to pick up the sequel after a few months. Expand
  29. Apr 29, 2013
    As a music lover, this is one of my favorite games. The game does a good job of generating tracks from your music (and supports pretty much every popular format). Yes, sometimes it will mess up and it won't fit well with the track, but anything that's generated without human supervision won't be perfect 100% of the time.

I really have only one gripe with the game, and that is the online

I really have only one gripe with the game, and that is the online high scores. There are three difficulties to the game, and there are a handful of game modes on each difficulty. The trouble is that the different game modes can have vastly different scores. My personal favorite mode, Ninja Mono, just happens to be the lowest scoring mode, and even if you play a perfect track and get the highest score possible, you'll be pitted against other game modes where people get ten times your score.

It really is the only serious flaw that i could find. All in all, it's a great game that i highly recommend for anyone who loves music.
  30. Aug 7, 2013
    This game is simply put fun to play and gives no life to some of those old albums in your computer that you just don't listen to anymore. One of the best parts of this game is trying to find the songs the play the best in-game, (some my surprise. Try playing I'm Yours by The Script, very slow song, but fun to play). The game play itself is enjoyable and in practice rewards you for knowingThis game is simply put fun to play and gives no life to some of those old albums in your computer that you just don't listen to anymore. One of the best parts of this game is trying to find the songs the play the best in-game, (some my surprise. Try playing I'm Yours by The Script, very slow song, but fun to play). The game play itself is enjoyable and in practice rewards you for knowing where the most "intense" sections of the song come up adding even more fun to the mix. There is no better way to enjoy your music. You'll know what I mean when your racing up and down to the vibrato of a singer's voice Expand

1. At the very worst, it's an ingenious multimedia toy that'll have you dusting off the untouched corners of your MP3 collection for a few happy evenings. But for those twitching fingers that still enjoy the thrill of the high score, Audiosurf has the potential to become a bite-sized obsession thanks to its quick fix gameplay and infinite musical possibilities.
  2. AudioSurf is very good value for money. It’s fun, fresh, and addicting.
  3. Obviously a work of passion, Audiosurf is a game that must not be missed by anyone, especially with an above average interest in music.