Avernum: Escape From the Pit PC

8.1

1. Jul 11, 2012
    Avernum: Escape From the Pit is a turn-based 90s style RPG, and is a throwback to games like Fallout and Baldur's Gate. This game has a ton of content, with loads of towns, NPCs, quests, items, spells and skills. There are a lot of choices for customizing your party of 4 adventurers. You can choose to specialize each character, or spread out your skill points and make a hybrid typeAvernum: Escape From the Pit is a turn-based 90s style RPG, and is a throwback to games like Fallout and Baldur's Gate. This game has a ton of content, with loads of towns, NPCs, quests, items, spells and skills. There are a lot of choices for customizing your party of 4 adventurers. You can choose to specialize each character, or spread out your skill points and make a hybrid type character if you want to. The story is well written, and there's around 40 hours of total content. Even though the graphics have been updated from the previous version of the game, it still looks like it was made in the 90s. I did like the character sheet artwork though. The music is pretty sparse, only playing during the title screen and during loading screens, but it fits really well with the game. The ambient sounds in towns play in a loop, which gets a little bit annoying after a while. The pathing during combat is a little weird, and occasionally one of your characters will run in the wrong direction. The menus system takes a little bit of getting used to, but everything can be accessed with hotkeys, which is pretty nice. This game reminds me a lot of Fallout (only without the great voice acting). I'd recommend this to anybody who's a fan of that era's RPG games. Expand
  2. Apr 17, 2012
    This game is in the interesting position of being a remake of a remake. It started life in (I think) 1995 as 'Exile: Escape From the Pit. It was later remade as simply 'Avernum'. I played the original incarnation and I loved it. Alright, so there were a lot of things wrong with it, but I loved it. I also played the remake and, whilst I enjoyed it for a while, it just wasn't as fun as ExileThis game is in the interesting position of being a remake of a remake. It started life in (I think) 1995 as 'Exile: Escape From the Pit. It was later remade as simply 'Avernum'. I played the original incarnation and I loved it. Alright, so there were a lot of things wrong with it, but I loved it. I also played the remake and, whilst I enjoyed it for a while, it just wasn't as fun as Exile and I never finished it. This was a shame, as the new engine 'Avernum' was built on ironed out most of the small problems present in the original.

Avernum: Escape From the Pit, surpasses the original in every way. I'll now break this review into the different aspects of the game.

Graphics: 8/10. Despite the nostalgic appeal of Exile's old sprites, I can't deny that these new graphics are far superior, An isometric view of the world of Avernum is so much more pleasant and flexible than the old 2d sort-of-top-down view (in fairness to the original Avernum, it introduced this) and far, far nicer than the old Avernum's graphics. My only complaint is that the caves of Avernum seem a bit too brightly lit, but it's nothing jarring.

Gameplay: 10/10. The most important aspect of any game, and where this one truly excels. In Avernum: Escape From the Pit, you control a party of four people (less if you want). As with any RPG worth it's salt, you can customise the skills and abilities of all of your characters, and there is much scope for creating several diversely different characters.

Combat is a simple turn-based affair and is also very enjoyable. There is a wide variety of enemies for you to fight and the fight against regular enemies is interspersed with challenging and engaging pseudo-boss-battles. My only complaint with combat is that it isn't uncommon for you to accidentally target the wrong enemy, though this rarely has catastrophic consequences (it might on the higher difficulties, though).

The movement system is much more pleasant and fluid than in the older games, allowing you to click on a location not too far away from you and have your characters walk there, rather than having to literally guide them every step of the way.

Storyline: 9/10. The storyline is the same as the previous two incarnations of the game, though tweaked and expanded in some areas. This is, simply put, a good thing. In this game, you take the role of some of those banished to live in the underground cave system of Avernum as punishment for a political crime of some sort. I won't say anything else specific, but I will say that the storyline is both engaging and rewarding, ensuring that you play the game to its conclusion. There are also many sidequests and dungeons to explore.

Sounds: 7.5/10. The game's weakest area, but that isn't to say that the sounds are bad. They're just a little lacking. For example, there are some perfectly good pieces of music that play at the title screen and during loading screens, but there's no music at any other time. The sound effects are good, though they can become repetitive.

Replay Value: 9/10. Whilst you're unlikely to play the whole game more than once (except perhaps on the highest difficulty (if you didn't do so first time), with a single character (again, if you didn't do so first time) or simply having not played it for a while), the large number of sidequests and dungeons to explore will see you investing many hours of your time into this game. There are also several medals (which double as achievements if you buy from Steam) for to earn, providing further reason to stick with the game.

Overall, a truly excellent game, worthy of anyone's time. 9.5/10, rounded up to 10 for this review.
  3. Apr 13, 2012
    I've been a fan of the Avernum games for a long time, all the way back to when they were known as Exile, released as shareware, and had a simplistic 2-d interface. Since then, the engine has been improved multiple times, and just about everything seems to flow better while retaining the core gameplay and aesthetic. If you're new to the series, this particular Avernum is the first, and isI've been a fan of the Avernum games for a long time, all the way back to when they were known as Exile, released as shareware, and had a simplistic 2-d interface. Since then, the engine has been improved multiple times, and just about everything seems to flow better while retaining the core gameplay and aesthetic. If you're new to the series, this particular Avernum is the first, and is a great place to start. The storyline is good, the setting unique, and if you're a fan of old school RPGs, you will probably enjoy it. My only complaints are that it's a bit hard to click on the small characters, and I really wish the party size could be increased to 6. Expand
  4. Apr 13, 2012
    Never heard of this before, picked it up of steam, its very very good, nice retro graphics, decent interface, and seems like a VERY long game. The writing in game and stories seem much better written than most. Glad i stumbled across this one steam.
  5. Jul 17, 2013
    I've put +65 hours in this game, and I haven't finished it yet.
    The writing is good, the story as well is just fine.
    Once you get the mechanics and get into it, you'll forget about the poor graphics
    Plain old 90 's RPG, with tons of game hours.
  6. Jun 27, 2012
    It's simply a Great Game! don't judge a book by it's cover, but you need to read it first! a book maybe outdated and have a very bad cover and didn't typed very neat, but the most interesting in a book is the content. i believe you can find the same on this game.
  7. Nov 15, 2013
    This game is GREAT! have only played the first geneforge and avadon game from spider web but this is probably my favourite. Even though it shares the same mechanics and graphics as avadon this game feels more like ultima or morrowind to me. Easy to get into, interesting setting and a ton of freedom and conent. You will like it
  8. Aug 7, 2013
    A very fun and basic RPG of sorts with many interesting ideas.

A very fun and basic RPG of sorts with many interesting ideas.

Okey, here's the set up. The world is being oppressed by the empire and people who commit crimes get thrown into a one-way portal that leads into a underworld deep beneither the ground. You start with a group of 4 people (of different classes and looks you can change) who were all thrown down here in this hellhole, but you soon learn that this prison thrives with cities and villages, however there are of course many monsters that make like down in Avernum difficult.

You have Goblins, Niphilim (cat people), Ogres, Dragons, Giant Vermin, humans and many, many more threats making life in Avernum hell. I highly recommend this game for anyone who is a fan of RPGs. It's pretty open with you being allowed to hunt down and kill whatever you like in case you want to kill monsters and steal their loot or kill the townsfolk and steal their loot, though you won't get any quests from them.
  9. Nov 15, 2015
    Totally awesome, just bad graphics. The graphics in-game are tolerable but there are some really awesome paintings that never get old and are pure dynamite. I found myself a little less "lost in the experience of the game" while playing this in comparison to Geneforge, and I'm not sure why. The characters are real or funny and refreshing. The game is absolutely huge and took me 100Totally awesome, just bad graphics. The graphics in-game are tolerable but there are some really awesome paintings that never get old and are pure dynamite. I found myself a little less "lost in the experience of the game" while playing this in comparison to Geneforge, and I'm not sure why. The characters are real or funny and refreshing. The game is absolutely huge and took me 100 hours or more to complete everything with one party. As with most RPGs I play, the items aren't designed to the fullest they could have been and don't feel like they add enough to the combat or gameplay, although there is one item that significantly changes your experience with the game. The writing is above average and sometimes great. Love the story. Anyone who complains about the lack of music or sound effects needs to put on a self-made playlist, which is better than every videogame soundtrack possible. Skills and spells are lackluster but still fun. The game is designed beautifully for having fun and not wasting time. Expand
  10. Aug 16, 2014
    A remake of a remake, glad it's here to tell this story once again. This simple isometric sprites-and-text rpg is more immersive than most pretty modern counterparts. The engine in the first remake worked out a lot of the kinks of the original, and the engine in this remake really streamlines the experience. I was glad to visit avernum again.

1. Jun 11, 2012
    Spiderweb relaunches its AVernum series updated with the gameplay originally developed for Avadon. Sadly, this first episode still has too many shortcomings because of its old age; a complete reboot wouldn't have been too much. Avernum still remains a nice dungeon crawler in an exciting world.
  2. PC Master (Greece)
    May 16, 2012
    Jeff Vogel's ability to conjure interesting settings is really brought forward in this game. It is extremely interesting to wander Avernum's world, collecting information about the inhabitants that managed to build a new society from zero. [May 2012]
  3. Apr 10, 2012
    Overall, though, Avernum: Escape from the Pit is a rather good game. It captures the feel of 90s RPGs better than pretty much any other game out there, and scratches the nostalgia itch that players who grew up in the days of Black Isle might have. It's not without some minor flaws, but they don't do much to subtract from an otherwise excellent package.