6.6

1. Apr 15, 2018
    Baldur's Gate is a good game, enhanced or not, but it didn't age too well. Almost every aspect of it was improved in later Bioware|Obsidian games: rpg system, dialogues, companion interactions, ui, journal, path finding and ofc. graphics.
  2. Mar 16, 2018
    This is very hard to review. The original Baldurs Gate is a masterpiece and a memorable part of gaming history. The enhanced edition (hereby refered to as EE) is a re-release of the same game with (very) minor addition at premium price tag. They add a few new NPC's, change some of the core DnD rules, and adjust a few things but none of it was worth a re-release and all of it was alreadyThis is very hard to review. The original Baldurs Gate is a masterpiece and a memorable part of gaming history. The enhanced edition (hereby refered to as EE) is a re-release of the same game with (very) minor addition at premium price tag. They add a few new NPC's, change some of the core DnD rules, and adjust a few things but none of it was worth a re-release and all of it was already available for free via mods. In fact, with exception to the new NPC (which add nothing to the game), mods are better than the content that was added in EE and I recommend you install mods even if you have the EE.

So how does one review this? Do I review the original game or do I just review the new addition in the EE? I think I will review the two game separately. So the score here will only reflect the content that was added by Beamdogs and not the original content. I will review Baldurs Gate on it own.

In terms of content, the additions are the new voiced NPC's and their associated quests. I got to play Neera's quest line as well as Dorn but overall I think that they were not needed. There were already dozens of NPC's available in mods that do exactly the same thing as these "official" additions and even without the mods, there were already plenty of NPCs to choose from. So no points for that.

They added a few new class kits to the game like the Wild Mage. A nice addition, but again, even without the new kit, there were already way more kits than anyone could possible play through. And you could add dozens of kits and rebalance mods prior so again, this is nothing new and not worth a new price tag.

Bug fixes... problem is, they were already fixed by modders more than a decade prior. Its nice to incorporate them into the official game, but they did a very bad job of it. For one thing, they didnt apply the already fixed stuff from mods and chose to fix things themselves. Problem is they introduced more bugs by doing so and since this was a new version of the game, the old mod bugfixes no longer worked. To Beamdogs credit, they did fix most of the stuff that they themselves broke in time but it would have never happened if they had done it right from the start, by reviewing the fixed made by modders in the past.

To me, the only worthwhile contribution from Beamdog is the slightly improved menus which now show your stats clearly like ability to hit enemies (THACO) and such. This is nice for powergamers who like to build their characters and see the results directly but that said, we had ways of figuring that out in the past through logs so again, this is a nice convenience but nothing that was not already available in a different way.

Overall, the current version of the EE is fine but not worth extra money. At best, the additions should only cost about $5 more than the price of the original game and not the 200% markup that Beamdogs demanded for the EE. If you were to buy the games today, I would say buy the EE only if the price is about the same as the originals otherwise, get the originals and install BG trilogy mods. That will install a lot of the bug related fixes and add about 20x more content than the EE anyway.

This was a very weak effort by Beamdogs to milk money from a great game.
  3. Nov 13, 2017
    [8.5] Полноценное переиздание состоит из оригинальной игры и дополнения Tales of the Sword Coast. Улучшает изображение за счёт поддержки высоких разрешений, перерисовки элементов графики и интерфейса. В наличие новые полезные опции для настройки игрового процесса. Доступны новые персонажи,задания и локации. Придираться к недостаткам переиздания совершенно безосновательно.[8.5] Полноценное переиздание состоит из оригинальной игры и дополнения Tales of the Sword Coast. Улучшает изображение за счёт поддержки высоких разрешений, перерисовки элементов графики и интерфейса. В наличие новые полезные опции для настройки игрового процесса. Доступны новые персонажи,задания и локации. Придираться к недостаткам переиздания совершенно безосновательно.
  4. Aug 6, 2017
    Baldur's Gate is one of the greatest video games in history. It's such a shame that a bunch of lazy and dull amateurs like Beamdog was allowed to touch it with their greedy hands.
  5. Jun 20, 2017
    I'm a big fan, played this game 'back in a day' years ago and must say this Enhanced version brought me back. I see people complaining about the level of changes not being worth the price. I can't agree with that. I remember how buggy and clunky the original game was. Now all the bugs are fixed, resolution finally playable, visible and easy to read font size, i recon many significatI'm a big fan, played this game 'back in a day' years ago and must say this Enhanced version brought me back. I see people complaining about the level of changes not being worth the price. I can't agree with that. I remember how buggy and clunky the original game was. Now all the bugs are fixed, resolution finally playable, visible and easy to read font size, i recon many significat changes to the difficulty as well. I don't think i remember mages using all those protective spells like now. Final battle is greatly improved as well, Sarevok is a real challenge now. IMO this enhanced edition is great and i am very grateful to Beamdog for what they did. I'd give 10 out of 10 but i'm not convinced to all the new content like new NPC's or Black pits expansion, it just doesn't fit the base game very well... Expand
  6. Apr 8, 2017
    Quelle arnaque ce truc ! on peut jouer en plus haute résolution que l'oiginal mais le jeu reste affreusement laid, ignoblement vilain ! on se demande ce qu'ils ont branlé putain ! bah rien en fait. "Enhanced Edition" ? tu parles Charles. Pour le reste, c'est encore plus buggué que l'original et tout aussi lourdingue. Un échec total.
  7. Dec 3, 2016
    I would give the original game 10/10 when I played it on release back in 1998

This enhanced edition adds nothing of interest. The new NPCs are poorly written and conveniently placed to encourage people who never played the original to pick them up easily. Black Pits was also an unnecessary addition. Overall a very average game, however additional points must be deducted as the
    I would give the original game 10/10 when I played it on release back in 1998

Black Pits was also an unnecessary addition.

Overall a very average game, however additional points must be deducted as the lack of professionalism by the "community manager" is unforgivable. Banning people on their official forum over the years for no good reason, spreading lies as to why people were banned, asking for positive reviews etc. is not acceptable.
  8. Nov 27, 2016
    The game's little overrated, apart from the obvious fact it's a milestone in gaming I must admit I expected more. Icewind Dale was released only two years later and I find it much more satisfying in terms of locations that aren't so repetitive, wider range of weapons, not to mention more dialogs and choices concerning these dialogs. Poorly optimized level of difficulty is also a drawback.The game's little overrated, apart from the obvious fact it's a milestone in gaming I must admit I expected more. Icewind Dale was released only two years later and I find it much more satisfying in terms of locations that aren't so repetitive, wider range of weapons, not to mention more dialogs and choices concerning these dialogs. Poorly optimized level of difficulty is also a drawback. I've had serious trouble at the beginning of the journey, leaving the end with easy opponents I didn't bother to use magic on. On the other hand we have intriguing story and likable characters. Strong 6/10. Expand
  9. Nov 15, 2016
    Hooked once again, 18 years later.

I bought the original game in 1998 and totally loved it (played it hundreds of hours). I bought the enhanced edition in 2016 (so I did not encounter all the bugs from the 2012 release) and loved it again (played it hundreds of hours). If you love RPG's, you'll love Baldur's Gate. If you loved it back in 1998, you'll love it a little more,
    Hooked once again, 18 years later.

If you love RPG's, you'll love Baldur's Gate.

If you loved it back in 1998, you'll love it a little more, because now it has all the improvements of BG2! And the new Quick Loot feature is priceless.

This one is a tried-n-true timeless classic.
  10. Apr 9, 2016
    The writing and gameplay is far worse than anyone who loved it back then will ever admit, but the EE sure does make it a smoother and better looking experience.
  11. Apr 4, 2016
    Disappointed is the word I would use for this game. As a fan of the original series I cannot help, but feel betrayed by the new developers. The writing in this game seems so lazily written and the characters no longer have the feeling this once gave me. DO NOT BUY. I am telling you will be disappointed.
  12. Apr 4, 2016
    For some reason i played BG2 Shadows of Amn before this. However i remember getting the BGI ToTSC 6 CD edition and was more than happy to be playing a BG game again. The enhanced edition fixes many issues with the original: few bugs, adds lots of enhancement and restores some stuff missing from the original that was added in previously with tweak packs etc. Im greatful that beamdog hasFor some reason i played BG2 Shadows of Amn before this. However i remember getting the BGI ToTSC 6 CD edition and was more than happy to be playing a BG game again. The enhanced edition fixes many issues with the original: few bugs, adds lots of enhancement and restores some stuff missing from the original that was added in previously with tweak packs etc. Im greatful that beamdog has taken the time to put together the best version of this game without having to add mods - of course mods can still be used, but for me i am happy not having to download and figure out what mod to install in what order.

If you liked the other BG or Infinity Engine games: BG2, IWD, IWD2, PST etc then you will like this game as well.
  13. Jul 13, 2015
    Shortly: Great graphics, poor writings. Some people say u can have this graphics with the widescreen or BGT mod but it is nice to not have to go through the downloading and installing all this mods. On top of that Enhanced Edition brings more like super fast loading times and new stylish and smooth fonts, which can be sized for the personal preferences. Also no problems with Win8 and newShortly: Great graphics, poor writings. Some people say u can have this graphics with the widescreen or BGT mod but it is nice to not have to go through the downloading and installing all this mods. On top of that Enhanced Edition brings more like super fast loading times and new stylish and smooth fonts, which can be sized for the personal preferences. Also no problems with Win8 and new machine specs anymore, so yeah, the edition is well worth its name. Only thing i dislike is a writings as they entirely doesn't fit into the BG (and d&d) setting. New Npcs are rather flat, miserably but pretending to be funny, its like they want to be cool or something instead to be true self. Neera for example was so annoying and her speech is way to modern, detached from the story and the medieval fantasy type of world. The rest NPCs and their quests was no better, i tried them once and never come back for them. Not for the first time Bioware proved that they are the best at what they do ;) Expand
  14. Jun 5, 2015
    They turned a game while a little buggy,into a big piece of camel crap, other than dorn the rest of the new characters at least in BG are useless, noticed area spells cast by the enemy like web they are virtually immune from, apparently hold is not an offensive spell so setting a cleric to cast them is useless which means you have to micro-manage your group at a all time high. Though notThey turned a game while a little buggy,into a big piece of camel crap, other than dorn the rest of the new characters at least in BG are useless, noticed area spells cast by the enemy like web they are virtually immune from, apparently hold is not an offensive spell so setting a cleric to cast them is useless which means you have to micro-manage your group at a all time high. Though not their fault but one that was not corrected is the lack of spells available until you get to baldur's gate. Expand
  15. Jan 30, 2015
    Amazing game, you will not regret buying. Anyone considering this should buy because it is a worthy investment both for your money and for your time spent as a gamer on this top quality product/company.
  16. Sep 23, 2014
    Don't understand the low review scores, this game rocked when it first came out & continues to rock today. Devs today STILL use the BG formula to make games (check out Dead State, a zombie infested BG-like game set in modern times). The graphics are a bit dated but the story & gameplay are as deep & satisfying as it was back in 1998. Add in the side conversations, romance & NPC's who haveDon't understand the low review scores, this game rocked when it first came out & continues to rock today. Devs today STILL use the BG formula to make games (check out Dead State, a zombie infested BG-like game set in modern times). The graphics are a bit dated but the story & gameplay are as deep & satisfying as it was back in 1998. Add in the side conversations, romance & NPC's who have their own agendas & you have a game that will keep you up at night just to see what happens next. Expand
  17. Aug 30, 2014
    Now if this was a review of the game after it's release it would be a few notches lower. The game released quite clearly unfinished and the developers admitted so and were committed to continuing the bug hunt and perfecting this game and they did just that.

This version of Baldur's Gate and it's equal are the definitive versions. Bugs old and new have been destroyed, works perfectly on new computers (as someone who used to have to install multiple mods to run my disc based version that if one failed the process would have to be repeated from game install, and that's before windscreen mods - This has saved me endless hair tearing and screaming in my household.)

The new content is absolutely perfect, the extra equipment a godsend (club proficiency pays of now!) and I personally have to fight which of the new characters accompany me. The three of them are among the best characters in the game, character and proficiency wise and certainly make up for the other characters silence with the BG II level of dialogue.

IF you are a BG fan and can't be bothered getting those old disc out or sick of headbutting the wall after playing 20 hours to find a mod has messed up a crucial element and you have to reinstall the entire game then do yourself a favour and pick up this copy.

Anybody new to BG, this is most definitely the copy for you.
  18. Aug 30, 2014
    Beamdog has breathed new life into an ailing and ancient game. No one can dispute how good the original Baldur's Gate was, but I will argue that this edition truly is enhanced. No messy mods to fix graphical issues, a vast array of bug fixes, new quests and new characters with more dialogue go a long way in adding value. If I wanted a junked-up game I had to add third-party fan-madeBeamdog has breathed new life into an ailing and ancient game. No one can dispute how good the original Baldur's Gate was, but I will argue that this edition truly is enhanced. No messy mods to fix graphical issues, a vast array of bug fixes, new quests and new characters with more dialogue go a long way in adding value. If I wanted a junked-up game I had to add third-party fan-made mods to, I would just go to GoG and buy an original copy (or find my six installation CDs from the 90's). The enhanced edition brings me the game I remember with less of the bugs and some truly optimal new features (use of the BG2 engine, spells and class kits, constant patches for continued upgrades, etc.). I am glad to own this game, and I have already logged over 300 hours playing on BG:EE. Expand
  19. Aug 9, 2014
    I think peoples will buy this just to see "enhanced" game with run on modern computer at 1-fps, which normally could run on toaster at 60-fps. This is Guiness Record for worst improvement category. This is like use donkey to pull Ferrari.
  20. Jul 2, 2014
    I first played this game at a friends house back when I was probably say 14-15, only briefly. I recently got steam and saw this game and the sequel on sale for I think 7 dollars and 14 dollars respectively. I'm pretty close to the end of the first game and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. I could see myself playing through this game multiple times using different characters and finding newI first played this game at a friends house back when I was probably say 14-15, only briefly. I recently got steam and saw this game and the sequel on sale for I think 7 dollars and 14 dollars respectively. I'm pretty close to the end of the first game and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. I could see myself playing through this game multiple times using different characters and finding new quests and cool npcs. Really don't see why this game is rated at 7.1 at the moment but I guess different people like different games. Expand
  21. Nov 11, 2013
    New interface and higher resolution font (patched in Nov. 2013)
    + Many bug fixes and BG2-ruleset incorporation
    - Same low resolution sprites and backgrounds - High price for existing free community content - New cutscenes are inferior and nebulous Baldur's Gate 1 is a great game, but this product isn't disappointing by itself; it's disappointing because it is establishing a low
    New interface and higher resolution font (patched in Nov. 2013)
    + Many bug fixes and BG2-ruleset incorporation

- Same low resolution sprites and backgrounds
    - High price for existing free community content
    - New cutscenes are inferior and nebulous

Baldur's Gate 1 is a great game, but this product isn't disappointing by itself; it's disappointing because it is establishing a low bar which will undoubtedly be reproduced in the "EE" versions of BG2 and potentially Planescape: Torment. The only people I could recommend play this are those with strong nostalgia for the original. It's unfortunate that the original studios no longer exist to retain control of their license.
  22. Oct 16, 2013
    Worth it for nostalgia reasons. However there's not a huge amount "enhanced" about this. And if they're going to ask for a fair bit more than what you can get from the basic gog download then it should certainly have had more work done to it as it still feels as old as the original. However, I can't give this a bad review.... I mean, come on.... it's Baldurs Gate... It's just a shame theWorth it for nostalgia reasons. However there's not a huge amount "enhanced" about this. And if they're going to ask for a fair bit more than what you can get from the basic gog download then it should certainly have had more work done to it as it still feels as old as the original. However, I can't give this a bad review.... I mean, come on.... it's Baldurs Gate... It's just a shame the enhancements were so slight. Expand
  23. Sep 28, 2013
    This game is a lot of fun, always has been. It's good to be finally able to get to play the game even on a whim, without having to go through the trouble of getting it to work on new PCs, setting up mods to make it worthwhile and so on. In it's current stage, it has no game-stopping bugs; in fact it worked just fine for me even in multiplayer from day one.

The new characters and content

The new characters and content are interesting enough, and even though I had some doubts about the Black Pits at first, I found it fun as well, with good gameplay and characters. The best thing about BG:EE is that it will get continued support with new patches and content as we go along... and to me it's also important as a necessary step towards BG2:EE, an enhanced version of what I view as the best RPG of all time.
  24. Sep 26, 2013
    This game has been updated. The graphical interface (updates) were the first positive aspect that I noticed in juxtaposition to the original version. I played through the first part of this game with a tinge of speed, satisfaction and immersion that just wasn't possible the first time around (in the original). Steam really compliments this release, a full install, no shifting back andThis game has been updated. The graphical interface (updates) were the first positive aspect that I noticed in juxtaposition to the original version. I played through the first part of this game with a tinge of speed, satisfaction and immersion that just wasn't possible the first time around (in the original). Steam really compliments this release, a full install, no shifting back and forth between six CD ROM. The new resolutions, textures, zoom out feature, etc all assist in a level of enjoyment not possible with the original. In compliment, there's a few extra characters to expand the roaming level of augmented possibility (especially for when BG2:EE is released). On a downside, the new "Cut-scenes" are hit and miss; they lack the original talent of the talented collaborators Baldur's Gate development team (first release PS Interplay I miss you so much). Also the new portraits are clumsy in contrast to the old. Overall? Who doesn't want to play automated and updated Dungeons and Dragons from the original success story, rendered with a constructive revision?

Obviously, this is a revamp of an old classic. I still consider Baldur's Gate essentially unparallelled in immersion and depth within the RPG genre; but let's call a spade a spade. This game is great, but not built from the ground up. Imagine what could be possible with the dynamics of this game in a new body?

9.2/10

-youcreatea
  25. Sep 12, 2013
    Having owned the original version of this game with several discs, it must be said that the main reason for obtaining this game is convenience. The enhanced edition adds a few extra characters and quests here and there, but it is largely the same as the original. There have been a number of issues with bugs in the steam edition, but these are fixable and hopefully updates are on the wayHaving owned the original version of this game with several discs, it must be said that the main reason for obtaining this game is convenience. The enhanced edition adds a few extra characters and quests here and there, but it is largely the same as the original. There have been a number of issues with bugs in the steam edition, but these are fixable and hopefully updates are on the way now that contractual issues have been resolved. Worth a positive score simply because the original game was that good, but this port has not enhanced the game in any particular way. Definitely worth playing if you enjoy RPG's, it's the most in depth game of it's time. Expand
  26. Sep 2, 2013
    Better than the original Baldur Gate for me.Nice new characters and higher level cup.I also loved the new adventure, The Black Pits.I stil play it.I hope they have a similar adventure to Baldurs Gate 2.I didnt find a lot of bugs.If you liked the first Baldurs Gate you must buy the enhanced edition and play it.
  27. Aug 28, 2013
    The game has a few wayword bugs still but you can get fixes for them from the main forums (you can just drop the fixes into an easily found folder its far easier and less time consuming than installing Tutu). They are very easy to find if you google them. I'd give it an 8.5/10. Its better than Tutu or BGT, in that it addresses some of the more serious problems that they never could (due toThe game has a few wayword bugs still but you can get fixes for them from the main forums (you can just drop the fixes into an easily found folder its far easier and less time consuming than installing Tutu). They are very easy to find if you google them. I'd give it an 8.5/10. Its better than Tutu or BGT, in that it addresses some of the more serious problems that they never could (due to hardcoding). Also it contains all fixes contained in any of the fixpacks released for Tutu/BG2 and modders like Camdawg have been working with the development team to improve the game. So astralphoenix77's statement that BGEE is "obsolete" because of other community patches is actually far from the truth. The game actually uses an updated version of the ToB engine, better than the version being used by Tutu/BGT.

Overall I'd say this is worth spending the extra money on. The new kits they added are interesting, there are no game-breaking bugs (unlike a lot of the older NPC mods for BG2 that haven't been updated in years like Saerileth), and you'll get plenty of hours out of it regardless of how much you pay. Plus you'll be able to use the new kits when BG2EE comes out.
  28. Aug 19, 2013
    This game is a polished up version of the original. Others have posted that in some way this version is worse, they obviously don't own it. My only complaint is that not more was added.

Still remains one of the best rpgs of all time. Get it on sale on steam.
  29. Jul 29, 2013
    I can't disagree with everyone else saying that "it's the same old game," because it is. What did you expect? If you're not willing to pay $20 to replay Baldur's Gate, then don't get it. I do, however, think that this game is a steal if you get while it's on sale. I picked it up for $5 while it was a "midweek madness" deal on Steam.

I loved the changes to the game that the Enhanced

I loved the changes to the game that the Enhanced Edition brought, things that, when absent, make the original game almost unbearable to play. Ammunition stacks to 80 (yay!), potions stack to 15, containers, and all of the improvements that Shadows of Amn made to the game.

I had a ton of fun replaying Baldur's Gate and thought that the Enhanced Edition was a steal for $5. Even if I had bought it for $20, I still wouldn't feel cheated I currently have 41 hours of playtime on it, and haven't even beaten it yet (although I think I am in the last stage of the game).

Overall I would say, lots of fun as is to be expected from Baldur's Gate, great improvements to the game, great nostalgia trip but if you're not willing to shell out $20 for it, wait for it to go on sale in Steam and then pick it up.
  30. Jul 29, 2013
    Though I appreciate the effort of the team behind Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, it sadly is diminished by the hard work of the original game's modding community, who have been able to do great things already with a still great game.

To those who want to play Baldur's Gate for the first time, I'll leave a link to the ideal version which is available for purchase and download. The site provides and thoroughly useful and effective mod guide that will update the game in more ways than you could imagine, all the while retaining a cheap ten dollar price and managing to make far better addition than this Enhanced Edition.

Baldur's Gate: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/baldurs_gate_the_original_saga

Modding Guide: http://www.gog.com/news/enhance_the_gameplay_in_your_edition_of_baldurs_gate_from_gogcom

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 10, 2013
    It’s not the flawless, refined version that the dedicated RPG veterans were waiting for, but even so, BG:EE remains a solid investment for Dungeon & Dragons romantics. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    Age may have formed a few cracks in its legendary skin, and perhaps the over reliance on randomness from the Dungeons and Dragons’ ruleset seems rather archaic, but within this slumbering ancient beast lies a mighty heart waiting to be awakened once more.
  3. Jan 26, 2013
    A solid re-release of a classic plus some nice new frills, but not without its problems.