7.1

1. Oct 16, 2013
    Worth it for nostalgia reasons. However there's not a huge amount "enhanced" about this. And if they're going to ask for a fair bit more than what you can get from the basic gog download then it should certainly have had more work done to it as it still feels as old as the original. However, I can't give this a bad review.... I mean, come on.... it's Baldurs Gate... It's just a shame the enhancements were so slight. Expand
  2. Jul 28, 2013
    A pretty good upgrade to the game with out really adding a great deal to the original adventure and at a slight expensive price. Still a classic and worth playing.
  3. Jul 3, 2013
    After also purchasing and playing the GOG version, I have to spread the word that this version is easily the best version of BG presently available. There may be broken quests in terms of moddable material that hasn't been rendered. There may also be overpowered kits. I find such complaints to be pretty foolish since any reviewer who cared that much about these issues should be able to mod the game the way they like it or bump up the difficulty as a work-around for their personal issues. Graphically this version is SWEET. The added sound files are nice. The add ons are all good. Only TRUE problem is the price. $20 is too much. $10 is perfect. Apparently there are some issues with Atari which mean the enhanced version of BG2 has been delayed. This may not be a bad thing. The GOG version of BG2 is already near-perfect, so Beam Dog will probably have to work a bit harder to create any new value with an enhanced version. Good things take time. This game is a MUST BUY when its on sale at around $5. Expand
  4. Dec 27, 2012
    Although this version costs $10 more than GoG's, I personally think it's a good deal. It runs much better than original game with super fast save/loading which keeps the gameplay very fluent. Additional features such as interface tweak, journal entries, camera zooming etc. are all well-done and make the game even more enjoyable to play. the new contents such black pits are also a very fun dungeon crawling experience. However, I would say if you already had the gog version and knew how to mod the game well then you probably should pass on this version, since the new contents are not worth the cost. Expand
  5. May 18, 2013
    I didn't actually have a single problem running this game, although if you alt+tab out, there is a minor map scrolling problem with the mouse. Sadly this "enchanced" edition has some irritating bugs. Sometimes when you steal and you're caught, it won't announce it above your character. If you kill a person in a town, sometimes their scream for help will repeat in town throughout the rest of the game even when you were in a building. In a certain town, some NPCs scream and run for help upon you doing battle with enemies even if they are not close to you, the NPCs ordinary dialogue still triggers. There are a lot of containers (specifically shelves) which trigger the stealing module when you look at the contents which makes no sense. Neither does stealing something and then walking into a persons vision without stealth. Stealing is more effort than it's worth, money is plentiful in this game. The sounds and gfx are far from special. Sadly the game has issues with balance of some classes, party characters, exp and quest rewards. The quest log/journal is good once you get used to the chapter thing but far from perfect, many quests are left in after passing and sometimes it's not updated properly or repeats a characters quest in a new chapter. Baldur's gate is a mess, there is a wall splitting the map in many of the nine areas and finding NPCs by entering a building map or area map is not possible. Overall I wasn't particularly overwhelmed by the game, the difficulty was okay although fairly easy after the early levels. I also noticed in the one case where I thought "Know Alignment might be useful here..." my character pointed out that the guy telling the truth sounded like he was telling the truth, this was incredibly insulting as it literally solved the dilemma for me without apparently requiring anything like a ****king stat check. Holy Expand
  6. Jul 3, 2013
    Worst game i have ever played combat system sucks graphics are terrible game is painfully slow this hasnt aged well atall still has loads of bugs feels sluggish just a complete and utter pain to play people who praise this game praise from nostalgia steer clear.
  7. X0R
    Dec 26, 2012
    Really disappointed with this "enhanced" version. Quickly became bored with the gameplay and wished I would have been donated the 20-bucks to a worthwhile charity instead. Next time I feel nostalgic about an old game, I'll just watch youtube videos.
  8. Dec 14, 2012
    Those who vote "0" are morons - they vote the lowest possible rating to make the biggest difference. Utterly pathetic.

I, however, give it a 10. The reason? This is Baldur's Gate - they can release it a million more times and I will "10" it a million more times.

That is all.
  9. Feb 11, 2013
    Aside from the bugs, it is an alright game (note I never played it before, so no nostalgia) and I am not using any of the classes from Baldur's Gate 2 anyway. This game just simply is not fantastic. The voice acting is ok, but its annoying how often the characters talk when you control them, especially the extremely annoying Xzar you find early on. The music is good, the combat is ok (so many misses early game) characters are cool, but rarely bother to talk aside from those annoying movement lines. Story is mediocre. Oh and the intel graphics problems are so easily fixed, you actually don't deserve the game if you think they are a problem. Fixed it in 10 minutes. Game runs fine afterwards. Expand
  10. Jul 29, 2013
    Though I appreciate the effort of the team behind Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, it sadly is diminished by the hard work of the original game's modding community, who have been able to do great things already with a still great game.

To those who want to play Baldur's Gate for the first time, I'll leave a link to the ideal version which is available for purchase and download. The site
    provides and thoroughly useful and effective mod guide that will update the game in more ways than you could imagine, all the while retaining a cheap ten dollar price and managing to make far better addition than this Enhanced Edition.

Baldur's Gate: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/baldurs_gate_the_original_saga

Modding Guide: http://www.gog.com/news/enhance_the_gameplay_in_your_edition_of_baldurs_gate_from_gogcom
  11. Jan 27, 2013
    A great game with some new bonus content, and most importantly it will run on newer operating systems in the proper resolution. Unfortunately the amount of new content is a bit limited for the price tag. Some new characters with side quests and some interface improvements may not justify 20 dollars if you already own the original and have modded it to a state that is pretty similar to what BG:Enhanced gives you. Expand
  12. Jan 4, 2013
    The game had a very buggy release, but within a month Overhaul games had released 5 comprehensive updates that fixed most (if not all) of the bugs. Plus they fixed some old bugs that were present in the original release that had never been fixed.

Now you get to experience the original game in all it's glory, with the kits and new weapon specialities from BGII, plus 3 new (very well
    done) characters. The game is EXTREMELY challenging by today's standards, even on the normal difficulty. But you can raise the difficulty to the max setting for a truly challenging experience that few modern games can rival. And you will get engrossed in the world of Faerun!!!

I think the review scores for this game are much lower than they should be due to the admittedly very buggy release. But now after 5 comprehensive updates, the game in a masterpiece.
  13. Jan 24, 2013
    A very good 'spruce up' of easily my favourite game of all time. Sure there were a few launch bugs (some of which have yet to be ironed out) and the new dialogue isn't in the same league as the older material, but this is a classic game given new life and for that is to be applauded. Any fan of the series will revel in the immersion and atmosphere of the original replete with all the worthwhile changes from Baldur's Gate 2. Newcomers will find the embodiment of a classic, story-driven isometric RPG before the shamefully barren period that followed it. Expand
  14. Sep 2, 2013
    Better than the original Baldur Gate for me.Nice new characters and higher level cup.I also loved the new adventure, The Black Pits.I stil play it.I hope they have a similar adventure to Baldurs Gate 2.I didnt find a lot of bugs.If you liked the first Baldurs Gate you must buy the enhanced edition and play it.
  15. Dec 5, 2012
    Well, I'm not going to review Baldur's Gate here. The game is a timeless classic, one of my all-time favourites and about as good as roleplaying for the PC ever was. Nothing about that has changed. So I AM going to review the "enhancements", the things that they charged me 20 additional bucks for.
    The technical part of the enhancement is a bit of a letdown actually. Almost everything good
    is simply a continuation of fan made mods that have been there, done that, years before. Everyone who (like me) has played BG 1 in the BG 2 engine by BGtutu, downloaded the Weidu mods or numerous fan fixes will not really notice anything groundbreakingly new. The zoom-in option is nice, at least one step above the already availbale high-res mods. Nothing really special here.
    None of my personal pet peeves and actual technical shortcomings have been addressed, though. The pathfinding AI is still abysmally bad (Firewine dungeon is still the same old unnerving headless chicken dance, when all that would be required is to change the scripts to allow player characters to pass through each other). The pRNG (pseudo random number generator) is still broken - things with a probability of 1/20 keep happening 3 times in a row (probability of 1 in 8000) way too often to be random whenever the pRNG gets stuck on a bad seed. All in all, underwhelming on the technical aspects.
    What about the additional content?
    Well, I would rate that way higher, if the two new NPCs I'm currently running with were not built either on full purpose to annoy the player or with such an amount of ineptitude it hurts.
    Neera the wild mage is a character, completely unable to do her only job. At level 1, with 4 hitpoints, she better NOT cast any spells (her only use), as there's a 1 in 20 chance for a mishap that might (and very often WILL) kill her outright. Countless reload saved games later you recruit Rasaad the monk, who, as a front line melee fighter (the only thing a monk is really there for...) also has way too bad stats and few hit points for his intended role. Combined with the inability to protect himself from critical hits (aka wear a helmet) he just keeps dying time and again so FAST, not even auto-pause and a ton of potions will help. Really, the constant accidents and reloads are so frustrating and annoying, I almost overlooked their admittedly excellent voice work and decent background stories...
    All in all, it's ok, but for an ease-of-use package that basically saves me 3 hours of downloading mods , installation and tweaking when wanting to Play BG on my new computer, the price is a bit steep.
  16. Jan 16, 2013
    I played the game in January 2013 and I have to say I didnt encounter a single bug in the whole campaign or the black pits. Basically this game is Baldur Gate with better graphics and no bugs , I never played baldur gate before so I enjoyed it. If you alredy played Baldur Gate you are not going to find anything new , the game still delivers for people who are new and its entretainig. P.S :People who are giving negative reviews are doing it on nostalgia because they liked the original more (when its the same thing with worst graphics and bugs) and bugs, as I said I never came across a bug in about 20 hours of gameplay and as I said im playing after many patches in January 2013. Expand
  17. Dec 20, 2012
    Okay, first. Stuff the negative reviews lol.

While the game isn't as improved as I would have hoped it would have been, it remains an exceptionally good game. And the extra's (like the new NPCs) and new styling Overhaul gave the game fits brilliantly.

WotC put the kybosh on making more wide sweeping changes (like a new engine, 3d graphics etc) sadly, and gave Overhaul a fairly short
    Dev Cycle. And taking that into consideration what they did do with the game was decent.

Also going forward Overhaul are continuing to patch in fairly major features that didn't make the initial release, on pretty much every platform. So being released as it was was not a "money grab" as some have intimated.

Given the ridiculousness of the 0 reviews (not helpful guys) I feel compelled to give this game a higher score than I would have ordinarily.

The remake is not as extensive as I could have liked, but its fricking Baldur's Gate. You simply can not be sad about getting more BG. **** about paying a tenner for new BG stuff is probably the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

It would have been a 7 out of 10 for me as it stands. But giving higher to offset.
  18. Jan 25, 2013
    The game is made by old bioware devs and the result is a game true to its old edition with very nice additions that hopefully will be increased in the future. Given that the game sells enough to keep investing on it.
    Any BG fan bashing EE is being stupid. This and BG2EE is your last chance of getting good BG games.
  19. Jan 20, 2013
    Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is for the most part the way it once was back when it was released about 15 years ago, but it comes with three extra companions, a multi-level gladiator arena called the Black Pits, and supposedly 400 fixes. I give this game an earnest 7/10 because for the most part, it is still a solid game as it once was, and the writing for both the companions and the Black Pits seem decent. Where this game lost marks on, however, is the seemingly lack of content. 15 years later, this game really hasn't changed much, and much of the improvements can be found through modding the original game at absolutely no charge. There seems more readily apparent bugs than what was fixed, and the new content simply do not seem all that extensive. The companion dialogues and adventures are all rather short, and the Black Pits consists but only two areas. Furthermore, the original cinematic cutscenes were cut out in favor of 2d artistic renditions, which, while looks decent, seems diminutive compared to the original movies. All-in-all, it is still a decent game. After six patches, the original version of Baldur's Gate with a mod or two still seems the better version compared to this "Enhanced Edition." However, there is currently people who are active in modding this Enhanced Edition, and if the momentum in this department continues forth, this version may potentially exceed the original yet. There is also supposed to be a matchmaking service for multiplayer looming on the horizon, so again, it might be something to look forward to. Expand
  20. Jan 19, 2013
    What a waste of resources. I loved BG at its time but really, that time has long since passed and this game with the same ancient graphics and almost same story is just not worth it today.
  21. Dec 11, 2012
    I had great hopes, becausei absolutely loved and adored baldur's gate 2.. and having never played BG1, i was very excited..turns out, it did not hold up for me.. you would have a better experience with the game when using the Gog edition.. with all the community content..
  22. Jan 29, 2013
    Very disapointed since I was looking forward to this re release. But Intel gfx here so the game suffers from rendering issues. for the price they ask they should be delivering a flawless experiences after 10 years.
  23. Jun 12, 2013
    I thought this would be a modernized version of an old game. Instead it plays like a very old game. It's dumb. There is a mod out for Neverwinter Nights 2 that recreates Baldur's gate, and so I recommend people play that. I was ripped off twenty bucks simply because I couldn't believe they would charge that amount for a game that wasn't of certain quality. I was wrong.
  24. Feb 24, 2013
    Baldur's Gate itself, is a solid 10/10 for its time and genre. A classic RPG worth visiting if you were too young when it was originally released out to enjoy it. The story is great and the game play and atmosphere is very strong, drawing you in. This however, is pretty much the exact same game, repackaged and a re-sold. I struggled to find the new things (it had been about 10 years since i played it).

I feel like they should have just went ahead and used a different engine for the game (like the neverwinter nights 2 one, or something similar and more stable). And actually, you know, "update" it.
  25. Dec 19, 2012
    I daresay that Overhaul Games has revived a classic RPG. This game takes me back to my childhood fond memories. While it is true that it is possible to install the older game onto new operating systems, I found the process long and boring. Now, I can just log into the internet, download, and play this game. I haven't ran into any bugs although I know others have. Truly I cannot wait until Overhaul does BG2- Enhanced Edition as well. Thanks Overhaul! Expand
  26. Jan 10, 2013
    I think this version of Baldurs gate is actually pretty lame. I also think it is expensive for what you actually get, especially considering that most of the work had been done beforehand by avid fans for free. I think the dev's recognised this, so tacked on the black pits adventure, which sits entirely separate from the main quest, and throw in a few extra characters. The adventure is good, but not really necessary, and the extra characters are also good, aside from Neera's awful voice acting. They would have done better to license a suitable, modern engine and re do the game in that IMO. A bit like how half life was re done in source. One crucial difference there though, black mesa was free, this isnt. Expand
  27. Dec 4, 2012
    Baldur's Gate needs no introduction. Setting the bar for what crpg's should be for the next decade, the Baldur's Gate released in the late 90's have gone down in the history books as the golden standard. THIS game however does little to improve on that. In fact, it does worse. There is nothing offered here that one cannot already find by means of mods for the originals. No hi-def resolution. No graphics settings of any kind. SLOW loading and stuttering gameplay put a blemish on the original. I cannot see this as anything but a cash grab by the developers. Shame on them for that. This is the equivalent of giving the Mona Lisa a facelift using spraypaint. I'm all for supporting indie developers, but this isn't a charity. I will NOT be buying the subsequent releases. I will be returning this game via credit card chargeback. Expand
  28. Jan 22, 2013
    ..It's Baldur's Gate. Rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia make it difficult to view the game objectively. The upgrades make the game fresh and slightly more intuitive. [Most] of the bugs of the original have been fixed. Unfortunately, the new content is mediocre and doesn't fit the game well.
  29. Cik
    Jul 3, 2013
    Excellent game, and a first of its' kind when first released. Now at $5 on steam again, it earns itself a 10 becasue it is the absolute best rpg and series of its' time .

This game set the stage for the genre and giving it anything but a 10 is like giving Alexander Graham Bell anything but a 10 for being the pioneer in communication with the Telephone.
  30. Jan 23, 2013
    This game is NOT broken. It is a great game and a ton of fun for old school RPGers. Unfortunately when I was young I missed this game... However, thanks to the Enhanced Edition I can enjoy it in 2013.
    The plot is interesting, the characters are interesting and the combat method is interesting.
    The game is NOT EASY! Thank God! A game presents me with a challenge, who would have thought?
    Character can DIE...*ghasp* indeed they are expendable. If you want to play hard core you can. You pick your friends and foes. In some ways this game gives you more freedom than Skyrim, and your allies have WAY more depth.... Hell, at one point I went too long without honoring a ally's agreement to join my quest and he turned on me!
    Anyone who gives this game a 1 is just being a spoiled prude.

1. Jun 10, 2013
    It’s not the flawless, refined version that the dedicated RPG veterans were waiting for, but even so, BG:EE remains a solid investment for Dungeon & Dragons romantics. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    Age may have formed a few cracks in its legendary skin, and perhaps the over reliance on randomness from the Dungeons and Dragons’ ruleset seems rather archaic, but within this slumbering ancient beast lies a mighty heart waiting to be awakened once more.
  3. Jan 26, 2013
    A solid re-release of a classic plus some nice new frills, but not without its problems.